1 2016-02-18T00:06:05  *** blur3d has quit IRC
  2 2016-02-18T00:08:35  *** bityogi has quit IRC
  3 2016-02-18T00:09:19  *** binns has quit IRC
  4 2016-02-18T00:09:28  *** binns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2016-02-18T00:11:59  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2016-02-18T00:13:52  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
  7 2016-02-18T00:19:35  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
  8 2016-02-18T00:37:22  *** AtashiCon has quit IRC
  9 2016-02-18T00:37:45  *** AtashiCon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2016-02-18T00:38:34  *** Guest92614 has quit IRC
 11 2016-02-18T00:38:34  *** Guest92614 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2016-02-18T00:38:37  *** Guest92614 is now known as gmaxwell
 13 2016-02-18T00:45:17  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2016-02-18T00:51:07  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 15 2016-02-18T00:52:11  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2016-02-18T00:57:39  <phantomcircuit> morcos, im a bit confused by your feefilter patch, it seems to be vastly more complex than necessary
 17 2016-02-18T01:02:13  <phantomcircuit> why not simply call CTxMemPool::GetMinFee ?
 18 2016-02-18T01:03:21  *** wallet42 has quit IRC
 19 2016-02-18T01:06:13  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: read the mailing list post. He's trying to prevent connection correlation. But I'm not sure that it's effective in any case-- consider, one can actively prove for the minfee by sending transactions and seeing if they end up mempooled.
 20 2016-02-18T01:07:00  *** p15x has quit IRC
 21 2016-02-18T01:10:02  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, yeah i dont see the point there, it's trivial to probe a remote peers mempool
 22 2016-02-18T01:13:39  <gmaxwell> at the moment.
 23 2016-02-18T01:13:46  <gmaxwell> though we should fix that.
 24 2016-02-18T01:14:03  *** wasi has quit IRC
 25 2016-02-18T01:14:18  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, uh, how?
 26 2016-02-18T01:14:37  <gmaxwell> Sufficiently advanced magic.
 27 2016-02-18T01:14:54  <phantomcircuit> it seems a fundamentally difficult thing to do
 28 2016-02-18T01:16:26  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, http://pastebin.com/raw/X9Q1LM2C
 29 2016-02-18T01:16:37  <phantomcircuit> that's an amusingly sophisticated understanding of fees actually
 30 2016-02-18T01:18:26  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 31 2016-02-18T01:20:23  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: the obvious way to do is is to run seperate logical mempools.
 32 2016-02-18T01:21:21  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, what like one for each peer and then do de-duplication of the actual data?
 33 2016-02-18T01:24:52  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: or the same but pivoting the table structure. e.g. for each mempool transaction keep track of which peers it's in mempool for.
 34 2016-02-18T01:25:28  <gmaxwell> (this could be much more efficient than the current maps used for known txn)
 35 2016-02-18T01:29:00  <midnightmagic> application-aware blinding proxies go away then i think..?
 36 2016-02-18T01:29:55  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, i guess it would be enough to just keep track of which transactions a peer has sent you and then request any transaction a peer sends that isn't duplicate
 37 2016-02-18T01:30:59  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: yes but not efficient.
 38 2016-02-18T01:33:34  *** mkarrer has quit IRC
 39 2016-02-18T01:33:50  *** mkarrer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2016-02-18T01:33:59  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, rolling bloom filter would work for that where entries are only added to the filter when accepted to the mempool
 41 2016-02-18T01:34:47  <phantomcircuit> not perfect but certainly better than what we have today
 42 2016-02-18T01:35:08  <phantomcircuit> either way i dont actually see why we would care that our peers know our exact minimum mempool feerate requirement
 43 2016-02-18T01:39:06  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: the reason, afaik, is to just reduce correlation. Where you can tell that a given v4 and hs node is the same node. Given that there are so many other ways to correlate right now it may be pointless.
 44 2016-02-18T01:46:05  *** p15 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2016-02-18T01:49:17  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, i certainly would not run a node accessible from anything other than tor as a hidden service and think that correlation wasn't possible if not likely
 46 2016-02-18T01:50:01  <phantomcircuit> and i actually think it would be extremely dangerous to tell anybody otherwise no matter how much effort is put into removing possible correlations
 47 2016-02-18T01:50:20  <phantomcircuit> s/dangerous/irresponsible/
 48 2016-02-18T02:31:21  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2016-02-18T03:16:48  *** Thireus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2016-02-18T03:23:41  *** raedah has quit IRC
 51 2016-02-18T03:33:55  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
 52 2016-02-18T03:34:15  *** jcorgan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2016-02-18T03:34:15  *** jcorgan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2016-02-18T03:34:15  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2016-02-18T03:52:14  <morcos> phantomcircuit: are you just talking about the FilterRounder code that is "vastly more complex"?
 56 2016-02-18T03:53:04  <morcos> I agree that the obfuscation has limited value, but when I actually implemented it, I was surprised by how neatly packaged away it was.  I don't see what other parts of the implmentation are unnecessary.
 57 2016-02-18T03:54:24  <morcos> Without the FilterRounder code, it is completely trivial to correlate nodes, so it seemed worthwhile to avoid that if it could be done easily, and in the end I kind of like the quantization, it saves broadcasting unnecessary feefilter messages quite often.
 58 2016-02-18T03:55:24  <phantomcircuit> morcos, well for example, why did you have to change AcceptToMemoryPool at all?
 59 2016-02-18T03:56:58  <morcos> phantomcircuit: thats for responding for a feefilter message.  how are you supposed to know whether the tx you are about to send an inv for falls below the fee filter your peer sent you?
 60 2016-02-18T03:57:23  <morcos> you have to know the feerate of the inv's you are about to relay
 61 2016-02-18T03:57:56  *** brg444 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2016-02-18T03:59:02  <phantomcircuit> morcos, hmm for dependency tracking i see
 63 2016-02-18T03:59:27  <morcos> dependency?
 64 2016-02-18T03:59:39  <morcos> no these are all just individual fee rates
 65 2016-02-18T04:00:31  <phantomcircuit> hmm ok i can see why you did it this way
 66 2016-02-18T04:01:02  <phantomcircuit> it's structurally ugly but not because of anything you did
 67 2016-02-18T04:01:07  <morcos> yeah calculating a fee for a tx requires work, and that work is already being done in ATMP which is almost always called right before RelayTransaction
 68 2016-02-18T04:01:40  <phantomcircuit> there should probably be something like CTransaction that knows about the outputs it's inputs are trying to spend
 69 2016-02-18T04:01:57  <phantomcircuit> but well.. effort
 70 2016-02-18T04:06:01  *** Thireus has quit IRC
 71 2016-02-18T04:13:02  *** arowser has quit IRC
 72 2016-02-18T04:13:21  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2016-02-18T04:30:01  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 74 2016-02-18T05:21:51  *** Don_John has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2016-02-18T05:28:03  *** frankenmint has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2016-02-18T05:35:33  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2016-02-18T05:51:20  *** wallet42 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2016-02-18T05:56:59  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
 79 2016-02-18T05:59:01  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2016-02-18T06:11:58  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 81 2016-02-18T06:24:42  *** raedah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2016-02-18T06:34:19  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, there doesn't seem to be any sane way to set the vfReachable flags
 83 2016-02-18T06:38:45  <gmaxwell> set it if you're bound on it (and in the case of tor, have a onion/proxy set); it shouldn't be harmful to be reachable when not.
 84 2016-02-18T06:41:27  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, for the most common setup that doesn't work at all though, ipv4 w/o ipv6 behind nat
 85 2016-02-18T06:41:39  <phantomcircuit> it seems like we'd do better to only use the IsLimited flags
 86 2016-02-18T06:45:44  <GitHub102> [bitcoin] pstratem opened pull request #7553: Remove vfReachable and modify IsReachable to only use vfLimited. (master...2016-02-17-reachable) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7553
 87 2016-02-18T07:02:58  <sipa> Reachable used to take into account whether you were bound to a publicly routable address
 88 2016-02-18T07:06:49  <phantomcircuit> sipa, it still does, but that's essentially meaningless for peers behind NAT
 89 2016-02-18T07:09:39  <sipa> it's also harmless for thrm
 90 2016-02-18T07:09:52  <sipa> (they don't get a publicly routable address)
 91 2016-02-18T07:17:01  *** Don_John has quit IRC
 92 2016-02-18T07:22:47  *** adnn has quit IRC
 93 2016-02-18T07:22:52  <phantomcircuit> sipa, it's not harmless IsReachable is used to decide whether addresses received are added to addrman
 94 2016-02-18T07:23:06  *** Thireus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2016-02-18T07:25:18  <phantomcircuit> if you're running with dnsseed=0 you'll end up only connected to the hard coded dns seeds... ever
 96 2016-02-18T07:25:37  <phantomcircuit> er hard coded seeds
 97 2016-02-18T07:27:33  *** Thireus has quit IRC
 98 2016-02-18T07:32:53  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2016-02-18T07:36:37  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2016-02-18T07:43:56  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
101 2016-02-18T07:45:28  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2016-02-18T07:51:04  *** adnn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2016-02-18T07:53:59  <wumpus> going to tag -final today - anyone that still has plans to update the release notes, please let me know asap
104 2016-02-18T07:54:38  *** Thireus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2016-02-18T07:58:03  * btcdrak orders champaign
106 2016-02-18T08:01:29  *** Thireus has quit IRC
107 2016-02-18T08:08:36  *** paveljanik has quit IRC
108 2016-02-18T08:12:27  *** arowser has quit IRC
109 2016-02-18T08:12:42  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
110 2016-02-18T08:25:37  <wumpus>  * [new tag]         v0.12.0 -> v0.12.0
111 2016-02-18T08:26:00  * btcdrak highfives wumpus
112 2016-02-18T08:26:13  <wumpus> party!
113 2016-02-18T08:28:46  <brg444> cheers, good work guys
114 2016-02-18T08:38:01  *** cjcj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2016-02-18T08:50:19  *** frankenmint has quit IRC
116 2016-02-18T08:51:44  *** AtashiCon has quit IRC
117 2016-02-18T08:52:02  *** AtashiCon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2016-02-18T08:53:47  *** adnn has quit IRC
119 2016-02-18T09:03:05  <JackH> this is it? 0.12 today?
120 2016-02-18T09:03:20  <btcdrak> fire up your gitian builders...
121 2016-02-18T09:03:44  <JackH> \o/
122 2016-02-18T09:37:02  *** blur3d has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2016-02-18T10:06:50  <GitHub107> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #7429: 0.12 release notes: Sort by importance to usability (0.12...0.12-sort-release-notes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7429
124 2016-02-18T10:42:15  *** p15 has quit IRC
125 2016-02-18T11:12:40  *** wallet42 has quit IRC
126 2016-02-18T11:44:07  <randy-waterhouse> wd
127 2016-02-18T12:00:05  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
128 2016-02-18T12:00:15  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2016-02-18T12:11:58  *** randy-waterhouse has quit IRC
130 2016-02-18T12:14:25  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2016-02-18T12:19:43  *** brg444 has quit IRC
132 2016-02-18T12:25:11  *** leoplod has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2016-02-18T12:25:41  *** leoplod has quit IRC
134 2016-02-18T12:34:21  *** blur3d has quit IRC
135 2016-02-18T12:42:25  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2016-02-18T13:00:34  *** Cory has quit IRC
137 2016-02-18T13:16:48  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2016-02-18T13:16:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
139 2016-02-18T13:16:58  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2016-02-18T13:32:36  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
141 2016-02-18T13:40:22  *** Thireus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2016-02-18T13:46:28  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2016-02-18T13:52:01  *** jonasschnelli has quit IRC
144 2016-02-18T13:52:01  *** jonasschnelli has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2016-02-18T13:54:13  * jonasschnelli is back from holidays and is gitian building v0.12.0 now..
146 2016-02-18T14:18:31  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
147 2016-02-18T14:29:38  <btcdrak> jonasschnelli: wb
148 2016-02-18T14:43:15  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2016-02-18T14:47:25  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
150 2016-02-18T14:51:13  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2016-02-18T14:53:26  *** arowser has quit IRC
152 2016-02-18T14:53:42  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2016-02-18T14:54:35  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2016-02-18T14:54:35  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2016-02-18T14:55:54  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2016-02-18T15:13:08  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
157 2016-02-18T15:18:01  *** fkhan has quit IRC
158 2016-02-18T15:18:11  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2016-02-18T15:25:08  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2016-02-18T15:25:08  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2016-02-18T15:25:39  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
162 2016-02-18T15:30:55  *** fkhan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2016-02-18T15:35:40  *** ghtdak has quit IRC
164 2016-02-18T15:37:34  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2016-02-18T15:47:10  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
166 2016-02-18T15:48:05  *** xiangfu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2016-02-18T15:53:07  *** xiangfu has quit IRC
168 2016-02-18T15:53:44  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
169 2016-02-18T15:54:30  <wumpus> welcome back jonasschnelli! hope you had a good holiday
170 2016-02-18T15:57:32  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2016-02-18T15:58:27  <wumpus> re: gitian building, make sure you wipe your cache if you built 0.12.x before, there has been at least one toolchain change in ubuntu trusty which isn't detected automatically
172 2016-02-18T16:05:49  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
173 2016-02-18T16:13:31  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2016-02-18T16:13:35  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
175 2016-02-18T16:16:45  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: Thanks! Will clear the 0.12 caches and rebuild.
176 2016-02-18T16:16:47  *** arowser has quit IRC
177 2016-02-18T16:17:08  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2016-02-18T16:19:24  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2016-02-18T16:34:21  *** Alopex has quit IRC
180 2016-02-18T16:45:07  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2016-02-18T16:57:09  <instagibbs> wumpus, is there still time to fix release notes :X
182 2016-02-18T16:57:33  <wumpus> well it doesn't make sense to change them on the branch anymore
183 2016-02-18T16:58:11  <instagibbs> ok, well the description of pruned wallet mode disabling importaddress, privkey are wrong, which might confuse some
184 2016-02-18T16:58:33  <wumpus> e.g. after this, the release notes on the 0.12 branch will be cleared for 0.12.1
185 2016-02-18T16:59:38  <wumpus> it's a bit annoying, what we can do is copy the release notes to the master branch under doc/release-notes/0.12.0.md and do post-humous fixes there
186 2016-02-18T17:00:01  <wumpus> (that should be done in any case)
187 2016-02-18T17:00:42  <sipa> it would be a bit silly to do a 0.12.1 with as release notes "Improve release notes for 0.12.0"
188 2016-02-18T17:01:05  <JackH> make it 0.12.0.1 :D
189 2016-02-18T17:01:18  <instagibbs> errata for release notes in master maybe
190 2016-02-18T17:02:09  <wumpus> or just copy the release notes to a gist and fix them there. I don't know which set of release notes people will actually read, if it's the ones I copy in the release announcement then it could come from anywhere :p
191 2016-02-18T17:07:11  <instagibbs> usually it's me googling "0.11 release notes" whatever shows up first :D
192 2016-02-18T17:10:32  <GitHub159> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/0e3ccbfb26b11ea3d9ed7dfd39886d69097286e1
193 2016-02-18T17:10:33  <GitHub159> bitcoin/master 0e3ccbf Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Add historical release notes for 0.10.4 0.11.2 and 0.12.0
194 2016-02-18T17:10:42  <wumpus> now you can edit them in master
195 2016-02-18T17:11:46  *** Don_John has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2016-02-18T17:16:26  *** wallet42 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2016-02-18T17:16:52  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
198 2016-02-18T17:33:18  <GitHub21> [bitcoin] vlamer opened pull request #7555: Merge pull request (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7555
199 2016-02-18T17:38:00  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2016-02-18T17:38:03  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
201 2016-02-18T17:39:29  *** davec has quit IRC
202 2016-02-18T17:40:12  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2016-02-18T17:40:13  <GitHub125> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #7555: Merge pull request (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7555
204 2016-02-18T18:10:17  *** adnn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2016-02-18T18:17:58  *** Cory has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2016-02-18T18:18:43  *** jamesob has quit IRC
207 2016-02-18T18:18:51  <GitHub54> [bitcoin] morcos opened pull request #7556: Some cleanup work for mempool and policy estimator (master...cleanupMempool) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7556
208 2016-02-18T18:19:03  *** gevs has quit IRC
209 2016-02-18T18:20:32  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2016-02-18T18:25:36  <GitHub51> [bitcoin] morcos opened pull request #7557: Encapsulate options for mempool policy (master...policyOptions) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7557
211 2016-02-18T18:44:38  <michagogo> Gitian's churning right now, building the second set of Linux tests atm
212 2016-02-18T19:00:48  *** bityogi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2016-02-18T19:04:04  <wumpus> #meetingstart
214 2016-02-18T19:04:07  <wumpus> #startmeeting
215 2016-02-18T19:04:07  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Feb 18 19:04:07 2016 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
216 2016-02-18T19:04:07  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
217 2016-02-18T19:04:37  <wumpus> topics?
218 2016-02-18T19:05:02  <btcdrak> suggested topic #7187 since it relates to the recent merge og 7184
219 2016-02-18T19:05:08  <paveljanik> release status? :-)
220 2016-02-18T19:05:32  <wumpus> from previous meeting: ACTION: review/test/merge #7148 and #6564 (wumpus, 19:19:10)
221 2016-02-18T19:05:41  *** ebfull has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
222 2016-02-18T19:05:43  <morcos> i'm happy to discuss fee filter if anyone wants
223 2016-02-18T19:06:26  <btcdrak> wumpus typo it was #7184. which has been merged. #6564 became #7524 which has been merged too
224 2016-02-18T19:06:59  <btcdrak> paveljanik: just waiting on gitian signers
225 2016-02-18T19:07:04  <wumpus> yes, mempool only BIP-112 and BIP-68 were merged
226 2016-02-18T19:07:08  <wumpus> paveljanik: it has been tagged
227 2016-02-18T19:07:26  <btcdrak> wumpus: so 7187 is an optimisation patch that builds on 7184
228 2016-02-18T19:07:43  <wumpus> I haven't really looked at the fee filter, maybe better to make that an action point and discuss it next week
229 2016-02-18T19:07:51  <btcdrak> "Keep reorgs fast for SequenceLocks checks #7187"
230 2016-02-18T19:08:15  <michagogo> My linux build's done, Windows being prepped now
231 2016-02-18T19:08:19  <wumpus> #action reviw 'Implement "feefilter" P2P message' #7542
232 2016-02-18T19:08:21  <morcos> wumpus: sure.
233 2016-02-18T19:08:33  <michagogo> Oh, sorry! Didn't realize meeting was going on
234 2016-02-18T19:08:51  <morcos> is the topic 7187 now?
235 2016-02-18T19:09:22  <wumpus> we dont' have a topic yet :)
236 2016-02-18T19:09:32  * btcdrak makes wumpus a coffee
237 2016-02-18T19:09:36  <wumpus> #topic Keep reorgs fast for SequenceLocks checks 7187
238 2016-02-18T19:09:51  *** sturles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2016-02-18T19:09:56  <morcos> The idea behind 7187 is that checking sequence locks to determine whether the tx is valid requires looking up the heights of all its inputs.  In a reorg, as it stands now, this will require reevaluating the inputs of every single tx in the mempool
240 2016-02-18T19:10:03  <morcos> That is obviously painful
241 2016-02-18T19:10:24  <wumpus> yes, that sounds expensive
242 2016-02-18T19:10:35  *** shea256 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2016-02-18T19:10:39  <morcos> 7187 attempts to cache for each tx the block hash of the latest block containing an input which had a sequence lock
244 2016-02-18T19:11:12  <morcos> In the event of a reorg, if that hash is still on the chain, you know the previously calculated height and time (also cached) are still valid.
245 2016-02-18T19:11:20  <morcos> thus ideally you won't have to look up most txs
246 2016-02-18T19:11:21  <wumpus> sounds sensible
247 2016-02-18T19:11:36  <morcos> so i think we should backport that to at least 0.12
248 2016-02-18T19:11:46  <btcdrak> morcos: without a doubt.
249 2016-02-18T19:11:49  <wumpus> yes
250 2016-02-18T19:11:57  <morcos> it's not clear to me whether its worth the effort for 0.11, which already is way slower
251 2016-02-18T19:12:07  <morcos> it'll still be functionally correct without it
252 2016-02-18T19:12:21  <morcos> just reorgs will be slow
253 2016-02-18T19:12:24  <wumpus> probably not - better to keep the patch for 0.11 as small and simple as possible
254 2016-02-18T19:12:40  <wumpus> it will get less testing after all
255 2016-02-18T19:13:28  <morcos> so now we need to review/test 7187 and get it merged?
256 2016-02-18T19:13:34  <wumpus> and  with all the changes to the mempool in 0.12 it will probably be non-trivial to backport that optimization
257 2016-02-18T19:13:46  <morcos> wumpus: thats what i'd be afraid of
258 2016-02-18T19:14:07  <wumpus> which increses the risk further
259 2016-02-18T19:14:24  <wumpus> #action review/test #7187 Keep reorgs fast for SequenceLocks checks
260 2016-02-18T19:14:30  <btcdrak> morcos was telling me the bip68-sequence.py RPC tests should test regression
261 2016-02-18T19:14:30  <wumpus> I've already added the needs backport tag
262 2016-02-18T19:14:45  <morcos> ha ha, thats more assertiveness than i intended
263 2016-02-18T19:15:13  <btcdrak> morcos: maybe add a specific test for regression?
264 2016-02-18T19:15:36  <morcos> there are some reorgs in the bip68 test, but i haven't looked at exactly what they do recently
265 2016-02-18T19:15:37  *** Thireus1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2016-02-18T19:16:28  <sdaftuar> i think there's a test that at least is theoretically checking that sequence locked transactions are correctly removed during a reorg
267 2016-02-18T19:18:25  *** Thireus has quit IRC
268 2016-02-18T19:18:30  <morcos> great, well quick meeting today?
269 2016-02-18T19:18:36  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2016-02-18T19:18:41  <wumpus> I think so
271 2016-02-18T19:18:56  <btcdrak> no more topics?
272 2016-02-18T19:18:59  <btcdrak> I have one
273 2016-02-18T19:19:13  <morcos> congrats on getting 0.12 tagged wumpus.  you should take a long weekend!
274 2016-02-18T19:19:16  <wumpus> don't think there's much to discuss, no snags yet with the mempool BIP68/112 merges
275 2016-02-18T19:19:41  <btcdrak> yeah went well. I'm working on a patch for the softforks btw.
276 2016-02-18T19:19:42  <shea256> yes great work!
277 2016-02-18T19:19:42  <wumpus> morcos: thanks :)
278 2016-02-18T19:20:14  <wumpus> congrats to everyone on 0.12
279 2016-02-18T19:20:36  <wumpus> #endmeeting
280 2016-02-18T19:20:36  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Feb 18 19:20:36 2016 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
281 2016-02-18T19:20:36  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2016/bitcoin-core-dev.2016-02-18-19.04.html
282 2016-02-18T19:20:36  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2016/bitcoin-core-dev.2016-02-18-19.04.txt
283 2016-02-18T19:20:36  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2016/bitcoin-core-dev.2016-02-18-19.04.log.html
284 2016-02-18T19:20:50  <btcdrak> wumpus: Would it be possible for us to arrange open source licenses of the Jetbrains IDEs for C++ and Python? They offer free licenses to projects like this
285 2016-02-18T19:21:43  <btcdrak> wumpus: just needs a maintainer to apply basically https://www.jetbrains.com/buy/opensource/?product=clion
286 2016-02-18T19:22:18  <btcdrak> their IDEs are CLion and PyCharm, they are incredibly good.
287 2016-02-18T19:22:19  <wumpus> btcdrak: yes I think so, if anyone is interested in that I can do that
288 2016-02-18T19:22:27  <btcdrak> wumpus: please do!
289 2016-02-18T19:24:00  <btcdrak> wumpus: link to the form https://www.jetbrains.com/shop/eform/opensource (add CLion & PyCharm)
290 2016-02-18T19:25:22  <btcdrak> If anyone wants to review the 0.12 blog post, most welcome https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/116
291 2016-02-18T19:26:50  <sipa> oh, i forgot about the meeting!
292 2016-02-18T19:27:22  <btcdrak> oh sipa, shea256 has some questions about libsecp256k1
293 2016-02-18T19:27:37  <shea256> yes, can I grab you for a minute
294 2016-02-18T19:28:24  <sipa> sure!
295 2016-02-18T19:28:36  <shea256> cool, I'll message you
296 2016-02-18T19:28:48  *** dirtynewshoes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2016-02-18T19:28:53  <sipa> wumpus: congrats indeed!
298 2016-02-18T19:32:09  *** kefkius has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2016-02-18T19:33:49  <morcos> btcdrak: What is Improved Rules for Transaction Relaying referring to in the blog post?
300 2016-02-18T19:33:49  *** shea256 has quit IRC
301 2016-02-18T19:34:23  <btcdrak> morcos: speak to shea256 (he's @ryan on Slack)
302 2016-02-18T19:36:30  *** treehug88 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2016-02-18T19:45:14  *** _dR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2016-02-18T19:52:30  *** shea256 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2016-02-18T19:58:57  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2016-02-18T20:02:33  *** bityogi has quit IRC
307 2016-02-18T20:04:27  <sipa> master does not compile?
308 2016-02-18T20:04:40  <sipa> util.cpp: In function ‘std::string CopyrightHolders(const string&)’:
309 2016-02-18T20:04:43  <sipa> util.cpp:841:53: error: ‘COPYRIGHT_HOLDERS’ was not declared in this scope
310 2016-02-18T20:05:32  <helo> sipa: did you clean? some toolchain changes may require it
311 2016-02-18T20:05:35  <morcos> make clean and autogen
312 2016-02-18T20:05:49  <sipa> ok
313 2016-02-18T20:06:18  <btcdrak> I had to git clean -dfx
314 2016-02-18T20:07:32  *** Don_John_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2016-02-18T20:08:52  *** CodeShark_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2016-02-18T20:09:42  *** jyap has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2016-02-18T20:12:02  *** CodeShark has quit IRC
318 2016-02-18T20:12:02  *** dagurval has quit IRC
319 2016-02-18T20:12:03  *** guruvan has quit IRC
320 2016-02-18T20:12:03  *** gevs has quit IRC
321 2016-02-18T20:12:04  *** Don_John has quit IRC
322 2016-02-18T20:12:04  *** dermoth has quit IRC
323 2016-02-18T20:12:04  *** jtimon has quit IRC
324 2016-02-18T20:12:08  *** jcorgan has quit IRC
325 2016-02-18T20:12:24  *** CodeShark_ is now known as CodeShark
326 2016-02-18T20:12:34  *** raedah has quit IRC
327 2016-02-18T20:12:56  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
328 2016-02-18T20:12:58  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2016-02-18T20:12:58  *** gevs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2016-02-18T20:13:37  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2016-02-18T20:14:51  *** guruvan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2016-02-18T20:16:39  *** dagurval has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2016-02-18T20:22:56  <instagibbs> sipa, you have to clean yeah
334 2016-02-18T20:22:58  <instagibbs> had same issue
335 2016-02-18T20:25:43  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
336 2016-02-18T20:30:52  *** raedah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2016-02-18T20:35:47  *** raedah has quit IRC
338 2016-02-18T20:39:17  *** Tasoshi_ has quit IRC
339 2016-02-18T20:41:02  *** Tasoshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
340 2016-02-18T20:44:41  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
341 2016-02-18T20:45:01  *** arichnad has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
342 2016-02-18T20:50:17  *** raedah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
343 2016-02-18T21:00:45  *** e4xit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2016-02-18T21:06:08  *** shea256 has quit IRC
345 2016-02-18T21:08:20  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
346 2016-02-18T21:09:06  *** shea256 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
347 2016-02-18T21:11:52  *** adnn_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
348 2016-02-18T21:13:39  *** adnn has quit IRC
349 2016-02-18T21:17:50  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2016-02-18T21:23:54  *** adnn_ has quit IRC
351 2016-02-18T21:34:08  *** shea256 has quit IRC
352 2016-02-18T21:44:48  *** Guest33530 has quit IRC
353 2016-02-18T21:44:48  *** Guest33530 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
354 2016-02-18T21:44:48  *** Guest33530 is now known as amiller
355 2016-02-18T21:51:46  <michagogo> Okay, my sigs are up
356 2016-02-18T21:52:02  <michagogo> Is achow101 in here by a different name?
357 2016-02-18T21:59:37  *** tripleslash has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
358 2016-02-18T22:02:55  *** shea256 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2016-02-18T22:07:56  *** droark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2016-02-18T22:10:36  *** Thireus1 has quit IRC
361 2016-02-18T22:11:59  *** Thireus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
362 2016-02-18T22:16:51  <michagogo> midnightmagic: I don't suppose you ever figured out what was different about your system, did you?
363 2016-02-18T22:25:12  *** treehug88 has quit IRC
364 2016-02-18T22:39:48  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
365 2016-02-18T22:51:24  *** Thireus1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2016-02-18T22:51:24  *** Thireus has quit IRC
367 2016-02-18T23:00:09  *** Thireus1 has quit IRC
368 2016-02-18T23:01:00  *** raedah_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
369 2016-02-18T23:01:41  *** raedah has quit IRC
370 2016-02-18T23:06:54  *** murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
371 2016-02-18T23:07:06  *** Cheeseo has quit IRC
372 2016-02-18T23:11:48  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
373 2016-02-18T23:11:49  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2016-02-18T23:15:13  *** blur3d has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2016-02-18T23:19:12  *** ibrightly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
376 2016-02-18T23:25:39  *** nullpt has quit IRC
377 2016-02-18T23:34:02  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
378 2016-02-18T23:36:58  *** adnn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
379 2016-02-18T23:38:06  *** blur3d has quit IRC
380 2016-02-18T23:39:16  *** Guyver2_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
381 2016-02-18T23:39:23  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
382 2016-02-18T23:42:57  *** adnn_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
383 2016-02-18T23:43:04  *** adnn has quit IRC
384 2016-02-18T23:43:25  *** gevs has quit IRC
385 2016-02-18T23:51:52  *** shea256 has quit IRC
386 2016-02-18T23:52:03  <midnightmagic> michagogo: part of it was that windows cache problem: I build gitian a lot, locally, and I guess I managed to get into that state where cache was messing me up. Right now, I suspect the < rc5 is no longer gitian'able by anyone. All I did, personally, was alter my build script to delete the cache if the version string was >= 0.12.0
387 2016-02-18T23:52:38  <michagogo> Well, I would think it can still be built
388 2016-02-18T23:53:02  <michagogo> But any sigs from a certain point on will not match the ones from before that point
389 2016-02-18T23:53:17  <midnightmagic> michagogo: in terms of OS/X, I switched back on LXC for the build process and it's working for me now. At this point, honestly, the fact that I build completely out of lock-step with what the rest of you build is to blame and changing state of the system is the main cause.
390 2016-02-18T23:53:40  <michagogo> (i.e. if a bunch of people went back and built, they should all match afaik)
391 2016-02-18T23:53:47  <midnightmagic> michagogo: it should be historically buildable or else people just have to take out word for it. if that's what you meant.
392 2016-02-18T23:53:52  <midnightmagic> oh
393 2016-02-18T23:54:06  <michagogo> But yeah, that Ubuntu change messed things up
394 2016-02-18T23:54:33  <michagogo> midnightmagic: afaik we're not all doing the same thing
395 2016-02-18T23:54:41  <midnightmagic> tor unfortunately has switched from ubuntu to debian for their build host, so now I have to teach my system how to run debian guests :(
396 2016-02-18T23:54:45  <michagogo> I know I'm using LXC, I think wumpus might be using KVM
397 2016-02-18T23:54:52  <midnightmagic> michagogo: I sure hope not. :( I hate being odd man out.
398 2016-02-18T23:54:55  *** shea256 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
399 2016-02-18T23:55:00  <midnightmagic> so to speak
400 2016-02-18T23:55:02  <michagogo> Not really sure what everyone uses
401 2016-02-18T23:55:29  <michagogo> Hm? It's more complicated than just running make-base-vm with the arguments for the right debian?
402 2016-02-18T23:57:44  <michagogo> Interesting, looks like Tor automates things more than we do
403 2016-02-18T23:57:45  <midnightmagic> michagogo: the vm-builder for Ubuntu can't do a debian guest. this guy has made progress doing it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vm-builder/+bug/235562 https://code.launchpad.net/~josephbisch/vmbuilder/debian
404 2016-02-18T23:58:28  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
405 2016-02-18T23:58:37  <midnightmagic> yeah, the tor stuff also verifies tag signatures, so as part of my modifications to get it co-existing with bitcoin gitian I have to maintain a minor fork. gitian doesn't play nice with itself.
406 2016-02-18T23:58:58  <midnightmagic> (just for tor though, the bitcoin stuff is unchanged)
407 2016-02-18T23:59:00  <michagogo> Ah, yeah. Looking at the gitian readme, I see "The official vmbuilder only includes support for Ubuntu guests, so you need to install [Joseph Bisch's fork of vmbuilder](https://github.com/josephbisch/vmbuilder), which adds a Debian plugin."
408 2016-02-18T23:59:26  <PRab> Minor complaint about gitian. If I wait to long to enter the sudo password after running ./bin/gbuild, it fails with "failed to run make-clean-vm..."
409 2016-02-18T23:59:45  <michagogo> PRab: KVM or LXC?
410 2016-02-18T23:59:59  <PRab> Um.. IDK.