1 2016-10-17T00:04:01  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
  2 2016-10-17T00:04:21  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2016-10-17T00:11:00  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2016-10-17T01:02:42  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
  5 2016-10-17T01:08:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2016-10-17T01:10:45  *** ill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2016-10-17T01:18:40  *** mkarrer has quit IRC
  8 2016-10-17T01:18:54  *** ill has quit IRC
  9 2016-10-17T01:19:21  *** mkarrer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2016-10-17T01:25:01  *** Alopex has quit IRC
 11 2016-10-17T01:26:06  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2016-10-17T01:33:49  *** paveljanik has quit IRC
 13 2016-10-17T01:34:17  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2016-10-17T01:34:18  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2016-10-17T01:36:12  *** JackH has quit IRC
 16 2016-10-17T01:39:36  *** temp1234test4321 has quit IRC
 17 2016-10-17T01:47:00  *** fengling has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2016-10-17T01:58:34  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 19 2016-10-17T02:00:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2016-10-17T02:22:11  *** ill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2016-10-17T02:30:06  *** Alopex has quit IRC
 22 2016-10-17T02:31:12  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2016-10-17T02:37:08  *** alpalp has quit IRC
 24 2016-10-17T02:55:35  *** fengling has quit IRC
 25 2016-10-17T02:57:25  *** fengling has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2016-10-17T02:59:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2016-10-17T03:01:00  *** ill has quit IRC
 28 2016-10-17T03:17:27  *** Alopex has quit IRC
 29 2016-10-17T03:18:32  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2016-10-17T03:19:38  *** fengling has quit IRC
 31 2016-10-17T03:38:33  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 32 2016-10-17T03:46:34  *** fengling has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2016-10-17T04:04:31  *** DigiByteDev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2016-10-17T04:15:17  <GitHub180> [bitcoin] pooleja opened pull request #8935: Documentation: Building on Windows with WSL (master...windows_build_docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8935
 35 2016-10-17T04:42:15  *** wasi has quit IRC
 36 2016-10-17T04:44:57  *** wasi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2016-10-17T05:00:03  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 38 2016-10-17T05:00:58  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2016-10-17T05:20:47  *** DigiByteDev has quit IRC
 40 2016-10-17T05:29:11  <GitHub13> [bitcoin] rebroad opened pull request #8936: Report NodeId in misbehaving debug (master...NodeIdWhenMisbehaving) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8936
 41 2016-10-17T05:50:44  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2016-10-17T05:51:01  *** harrymm has quit IRC
 43 2016-10-17T05:56:14  *** jol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2016-10-17T05:57:27  *** DigiByteDev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2016-10-17T06:08:56  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2016-10-17T06:10:01  *** jol has quit IRC
 47 2016-10-17T06:21:17  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2016-10-17T06:22:11  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 49 2016-10-17T06:26:04  *** bluerazor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2016-10-17T07:00:45  *** jeremias1 is now known as jeremias
 51 2016-10-17T07:05:55  *** BashCo_ has quit IRC
 52 2016-10-17T07:06:33  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2016-10-17T07:10:34  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 54 2016-10-17T07:19:24  <phantomcircuit> wumpus: in trying to make more of the wallet things private i have run into a problem
 55 2016-10-17T07:19:34  <phantomcircuit> all the things which are private are called by tests
 56 2016-10-17T07:19:43  <phantomcircuit> so i cant just make them private
 57 2016-10-17T07:24:12  *** cdecker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2016-10-17T07:24:30  <sipa> make them protected, and let the tests work with a subclass
 59 2016-10-17T07:25:10  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2016-10-17T07:29:13  *** bluerazor has quit IRC
 61 2016-10-17T07:29:47  *** bluerazor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2016-10-17T07:43:32  <phantomcircuit> sipa: that is a good solution
 63 2016-10-17T07:46:03  *** DigiByteDev has quit IRC
 64 2016-10-17T07:47:24  *** DigiByteDev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2016-10-17T07:49:31  *** _mn3monic has quit IRC
 66 2016-10-17T07:53:01  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2016-10-17T07:53:15  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2016-10-17T07:56:24  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 69 2016-10-17T08:02:14  *** bluerazor has quit IRC
 70 2016-10-17T08:05:01  *** Alopex has quit IRC
 71 2016-10-17T08:06:06  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2016-10-17T08:20:33  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2016-10-17T08:20:34  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 74 2016-10-17T08:26:33  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2016-10-17T08:27:48  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 76 2016-10-17T08:29:19  *** DigiByteDev has quit IRC
 77 2016-10-17T08:31:43  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2016-10-17T08:44:25  *** DigiByteDev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2016-10-17T09:02:32  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: +1 on sipa's solution
 80 2016-10-17T09:02:55  <wumpus> we do a similar thing for CAddrMan for a test interface to override the randomness
 81 2016-10-17T09:08:46  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2016-10-17T09:46:12  *** _mn3monic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2016-10-17T09:49:54  *** MarcoFalke has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2016-10-17T09:53:02  *** DigiByteDev has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2016-10-17T09:55:10  *** ill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2016-10-17T10:04:41  *** ill has quit IRC
 87 2016-10-17T10:12:21  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2016-10-17T10:12:53  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 89 2016-10-17T10:14:46  *** jnewbery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2016-10-17T10:17:05  *** jnewbery has quit IRC
 91 2016-10-17T10:18:00  *** kadoban has quit IRC
 92 2016-10-17T10:26:30  <wumpus> cfields_: hey, I've been trying something weird: to build bitcoin core in the 'termux' environment on my android phone. This is basically just a arm (64 bit in this case) Linux system, with one catch: there is no shell interpreter, or anything useful for that matter in /bin. All the shell utilities are available in the path though.
 93 2016-10-17T10:27:17  <wumpus> cfields_: I have no idea whether this can be realistically gotten to work though, so much assumes that /bin/sh is a shell :)
 94 2016-10-17T10:27:34  <wumpus> cfields_: not a high priority thing though building bitcoin core *on* my phone would be quite awesome
 95 2016-10-17T10:28:49  <wumpus> (I know there's debian chroots which avoid this, but that requires root and don't want to bother rooting right now)
 96 2016-10-17T10:39:19  *** fengling has quit IRC
 97 2016-10-17T11:03:51  *** murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2016-10-17T11:13:03  <GitHub13> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/49c591037289...0329511b9cd6
 99 2016-10-17T11:13:05  <GitHub13> bitcoin/master 032e883 Matt Corallo: [qa] Send segwit-encoded blocktxn messages in p2p-compactblocks
100 2016-10-17T11:13:05  <GitHub13> bitcoin/master a4ad37d Matt Corallo: [qa] Build v4 blocks in p2p-compactblocktests...
101 2016-10-17T11:13:06  <GitHub13> bitcoin/master 0329511 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #8922: [qa] Send segwit-encoded blocktxn messages in p2p-compactblocks...
102 2016-10-17T11:13:15  <GitHub100> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8922: [qa] Send segwit-encoded blocktxn messages in p2p-compactblocks (master...segwitcb) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8922
103 2016-10-17T11:26:36  <GitHub8> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #8937: Define start and end time for segwit deployment (master...bip141start) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8937
104 2016-10-17T11:27:36  <GitHub80> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 8 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/0329511b9cd6...53133c1c041d
105 2016-10-17T11:27:37  <GitHub80> bitcoin/master 3ade2f6 Johnson Lau: Add standard limits for P2WSH with tests
106 2016-10-17T11:27:37  <GitHub80> bitcoin/master 4c0c25a Johnson Lau: Require compressed keys in segwit as policy and disable signing with uncompressed keys for segwit scripts
107 2016-10-17T11:27:38  <GitHub80> bitcoin/master 9f0397a Johnson Lau: Make test framework produce lowS signatures
108 2016-10-17T11:27:44  <GitHub23> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8499: Add several policy limits and disable uncompressed keys for segwit scripts (master...badwitnesscheck) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8499
109 2016-10-17T11:30:05  <sipa> petertodd, cdecker, BlueMatt, luke-jr: do your dns seeds support flag filtering?
110 2016-10-17T11:30:39  <cdecker> sipa: not yet, was intending to implement it for the longest time
111 2016-10-17T11:31:15  <cdecker> Is there a plan to rely on it in future?
112 2016-10-17T11:31:26  <sipa> yes, for segwit
113 2016-10-17T11:31:43  <cdecker> Ok, then I'll invest some time to support it ^^
114 2016-10-17T11:31:52  <sipa> cool!
115 2016-10-17T11:32:46  <GitHub27> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/53133c1c041d...c90111314435
116 2016-10-17T11:32:47  <GitHub27> bitcoin/master 282abd8 fanquake: [build-aux] Boost_Base serial 27
117 2016-10-17T11:32:48  <GitHub27> bitcoin/master 6dd3723 fanquake: Set minimum required Boost to 1.47.0
118 2016-10-17T11:32:48  <GitHub27> bitcoin/master c901113 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #8920: Set minimum required Boost to 1.47.0...
119 2016-10-17T11:32:59  <GitHub135> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8920: Set minimum required Boost to 1.47.0 (master...set-minimum-boost) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8920
120 2016-10-17T11:37:34  <wumpus> I'm trying to cherry-pick #8499 into #8916 for backporting to 0.13, however I'm running into conflicts in the tests (p2p-segwit.py) - does anyone know if any precursor changes to the RPC tests there that are not in #8916 yet?
121 2016-10-17T11:38:50  <wumpus> (big conflicts, not trivial one-liners)
122 2016-10-17T11:40:03  <sipa> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commits/master/qa/rpc-tests/p2p-segwit.py
123 2016-10-17T11:41:54  <wumpus> may be better to leave this backport to jl2012
124 2016-10-17T11:45:49  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2016-10-17T11:48:43  <sipa> $ ./src/bitcoind
126 2016-10-17T11:48:44  <sipa> Error: -daemon is not supported on this operating system
127 2016-10-17T11:49:13  <sipa> Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
128 2016-10-17T11:49:34  <wumpus> sipa: you need to clean your tree
129 2016-10-17T11:49:39  <sipa> ah
130 2016-10-17T11:49:40  <sipa> thanks
131 2016-10-17T11:49:46  <wumpus> (or at least rerun autoconf and configure)
132 2016-10-17T11:50:22  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8813#issuecomment-250788185
133 2016-10-17T11:51:27  <sipa> ah yes, i remember reading that comment
134 2016-10-17T11:53:52  *** fengling has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2016-10-17T12:05:51  *** fengling_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2016-10-17T12:08:08  *** fengling_ has quit IRC
137 2016-10-17T12:09:21  *** fengling has quit IRC
138 2016-10-17T12:10:02  *** fengling_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2016-10-17T12:11:48  <wumpus> never mind on #8499, I was somehow trying to backports the commit in reverse order
140 2016-10-17T12:12:00  <wumpus> (testing a new script and all that)
141 2016-10-17T12:12:48  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2016-10-17T12:18:12  *** Guyver2__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2016-10-17T12:21:03  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
144 2016-10-17T12:21:05  *** Guyver2__ is now known as Guyver2
145 2016-10-17T12:21:36  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
146 2016-10-17T12:23:14  <jl2012> wumpus, you want me to make a backport?
147 2016-10-17T12:24:21  <wumpus> jl2012: I was afraid so as the diff looked quite large, but it's no longer necessary
148 2016-10-17T12:24:33  <wumpus> it's part of #8916 now
149 2016-10-17T12:25:00  <jl2012> if it could be cleanly cherry-picked, that should be fine
150 2016-10-17T12:25:27  <wumpus> there was only a trivial two-liner conflict in the tests
151 2016-10-17T12:25:55  <jl2012> ok
152 2016-10-17T12:25:57  <achow101> Yay! 0.13.1 is almost here! #8937 needs to be added to the milestone
153 2016-10-17T12:26:17  <jl2012> let me know if you need any action from me
154 2016-10-17T12:26:28  <wumpus> I will, thank you
155 2016-10-17T12:36:10  <petertodd> sipa: mine does
156 2016-10-17T12:36:49  <sipa> petertodd: oh, i'm confused, you don't even have a mainnet seed
157 2016-10-17T12:36:59  <petertodd> sipa: yes, my testnet seed does :)
158 2016-10-17T12:38:55  <sipa> interesting, my seeder has 8 IPs that already report NODE_WITNESS
159 2016-10-17T12:42:20  <petertodd> sipa: what else are they reporting? I've noticed that some nodes put total garbage in nServices
160 2016-10-17T12:43:21  <sipa> i wad about to check, and my laptop battery died
161 2016-10-17T12:43:26  <petertodd> ha
162 2016-10-17T12:49:25  <sipa> 3 of them are possibly legitimate
163 2016-10-17T12:49:45  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2016-10-17T13:09:45  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
165 2016-10-17T13:11:51  <BlueMatt> sipa: no, am I supposed to do that?
166 2016-10-17T13:12:05  <BlueMatt> sipa: oh, you mean to filter to only give segwit peers?
167 2016-10-17T13:23:39  <sipa> yes
168 2016-10-17T13:24:30  <sipa> a request for xHEXFLAGS.your.dns.seed gives only peers that report said flags in their result
169 2016-10-17T13:24:41  <BlueMatt> oh
170 2016-10-17T13:24:43  <BlueMatt> uhhhhh
171 2016-10-17T13:24:47  <BlueMatt> hum
172 2016-10-17T13:25:05  <sipa> if supported, bitcoin core will ask for x9.your.dns.seed
173 2016-10-17T13:25:15  <BlueMatt> that doesnt work with my dnsseed
174 2016-10-17T13:25:20  <sipa> (NODE_NETWORK and NODE_WITNESS)
175 2016-10-17T13:25:26  <sipa> that's fine, it doesn't have to
176 2016-10-17T13:25:34  <BlueMatt> my seed generates a bind zonefile and schleps that off to a bunch of servers
177 2016-10-17T13:25:35  <sipa> it's enabled on a per seed basis
178 2016-10-17T13:25:45  <BlueMatt> so there is no way for me to reasonably do that
179 2016-10-17T13:25:51  <BlueMatt> though i could do it for a small subset of possible flags
180 2016-10-17T13:26:03  <sipa> yes, only x9 is needed
181 2016-10-17T13:26:23  <BlueMatt> mmm, ok
182 2016-10-17T13:26:50  <BlueMatt> give me a few hours
183 2016-10-17T13:28:19  <sipa> ha, there isn't *that* much hurry either
184 2016-10-17T13:28:43  <BlueMatt> all y'all with dnsseed-server-homogeneousness
185 2016-10-17T13:28:48  <BlueMatt> need some diversity :p
186 2016-10-17T13:28:55  <sipa> i am not complaining.
187 2016-10-17T13:28:58  <sipa> :)
188 2016-10-17T13:29:06  <BlueMatt> ehh, 0.13.1rc1 today, should get it done :p
189 2016-10-17T13:37:10  *** bsm1175321 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2016-10-17T13:54:01  *** chauncie has quit IRC
191 2016-10-17T14:01:37  <paveljanik> better discussing Oxford comma than FT ;-)
192 2016-10-17T14:02:45  <instagibbs> FT? :P
193 2016-10-17T14:02:57  <GitHub66> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8916: 0.13.1 backports (0.13...2016_10_backports) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8916
194 2016-10-17T14:02:58  <GitHub73> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 22 new commits to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4ed26277347c...09bc76de60b7
195 2016-10-17T14:02:58  <GitHub73> bitcoin/0.13 0027672 Johnson Lau: Make non-minimal OP_IF/NOTIF argument non-standard for P2WSH...
196 2016-10-17T14:02:59  <GitHub73> bitcoin/0.13 3e80ab7 Johnson Lau: Add policy: null signature for failed CHECK(MULTI)SIG...
197 2016-10-17T14:03:00  <GitHub73> bitcoin/0.13 7ae6242 Cory Fields: net: fix a few cases where messages were sent rather than dropped upon disconnection...
198 2016-10-17T14:04:16  <BlueMatt> instagibbs: flexible transactions - tom zanders shit
199 2016-10-17T14:04:59  <instagibbs> Oh, haha.
200 2016-10-17T14:06:17  <paveljanik> hmm, removing the Oxford commas can save us 2 (two!) bytes!
201 2016-10-17T14:06:38  <paveljanik> imagine all those forks!
202 2016-10-17T14:06:52  <instagibbs> I see you've found your scaling bitcoin topic for 2017
203 2016-10-17T14:08:28  <paveljanik> the next SB will surely be at the date of my wife' birthday or any similar death-important family date as always :-(
204 2016-10-17T14:09:52  <sipa> well at least we'll have a few topics for the next SB, such as segwit, ft, and the oxford comma.
205 2016-10-17T14:09:58  <sipa> *ducks*
206 2016-10-17T14:10:24  <paveljanik> Can't parse the sentence ;-)
207 2016-10-17T14:12:48  <BlueMatt> I think he meant ft, segwit and the oxford comma
208 2016-10-17T14:12:57  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2016-10-17T14:14:15  <btcdrak> FTFY: ft, segwit and, the oxford comma
210 2016-10-17T14:14:25  <BlueMatt> bip 9 bit 1 has def never been used, right?
211 2016-10-17T14:14:33  <BlueMatt> has someone scanned recent block versions?
212 2016-10-17T14:15:16  <btcdrak> blocks have only been 0x30000000, 0x20000000, 0x20000001, and 0x30000001
213 2016-10-17T14:15:47  <BlueMatt> bit 1 being 0x2, right?
214 2016-10-17T14:15:55  <btcdrak> BlueMatt: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009/assignments.mediawiki
215 2016-10-17T14:16:04  <btcdrak> BlueMatt: yes
216 2016-10-17T14:16:07  <sipa> yes
217 2016-10-17T14:16:10  <btcdrak> we used bit 0 for CSV
218 2016-10-17T14:16:13  <BlueMatt> ok, sounds good
219 2016-10-17T14:16:21  <BlueMatt> just figued I'd doube check
220 2016-10-17T14:17:04  <instagibbs> just to make sure what about bip109
221 2016-10-17T14:17:34  <BlueMatt> sipa: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8637#issuecomment-253547659
222 2016-10-17T14:18:37  <btcdrak> We can save more bytes on the BIPs by aggregating like Schnorr: BIP141+143+147 = BIP431
223 2016-10-17T14:19:43  <sipa> BlueMatt: last use of bit 1 was over 20k blocks ago
224 2016-10-17T14:19:51  <BlueMatt> sipa: thanks
225 2016-10-17T14:20:12  <sipa> though apparently it has been used with some frequency further back
226 2016-10-17T14:20:23  <BlueMatt> heh, funny
227 2016-10-17T14:20:27  <sipa> 1128 blocks set bit 1 in the past 50k blocks
228 2016-10-17T14:20:28  <btcdrak> sipa bit 1?
229 2016-10-17T14:21:11  <instagibbs> BlueMatt, sigh, at a minimum I'd like the debug help for cmpctblocks(sp!?)
230 2016-10-17T14:21:27  <BlueMatt> instagibbs: yes, thats why I'm poking sipa :p
231 2016-10-17T14:21:28  <instagibbs> cmpctblock
232 2016-10-17T14:21:33  <sipa> cmpctblcks, w dnt spprt th s f vwls hr
233 2016-10-17T14:21:54  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2016-10-17T14:22:05  <BlueMatt> we dont support the use of vowels here, for those with parse-issues
235 2016-10-17T14:22:25  <sipa> i approve of BlueMatt's compact writing decoder
236 2016-10-17T14:23:01  <achow101> it would be much more compact if you removed all the spaces
237 2016-10-17T14:23:11  <jtimon> wumpus: around?
238 2016-10-17T14:23:31  <jtimon> re https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8921 "getinfo has been deprecated" when did that happened? for 0.13 or for 0.14 ?
239 2016-10-17T14:23:56  <jtimon> ie is there any blocker to remove it already or are we just waiting to do it for 0.15 ?
240 2016-10-17T14:24:19  <instagibbs> 0.14
241 2016-10-17T14:24:51  <jtimon> instagibbs: I see, so we're in fact waiting for removing it in 0.15, thanks
242 2016-10-17T14:25:17  <btcdrak> oh why is getinfo for the chop?
243 2016-10-17T14:25:17  <GitHub170> [bitcoin] s-matthew-english opened pull request #8938: update to bitcoin-qt.desktop (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8938
244 2016-10-17T14:25:18  <instagibbs> Not sure, just saying it's not deprecated in 0.13.1
245 2016-10-17T14:25:26  <achow101> jtimon: apparently it has been deprecated for years
246 2016-10-17T14:25:39  <instagibbs> it's a hodgepodge of info you can individually get elsewhere
247 2016-10-17T14:25:42  <GitHub167> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/cb8887e87df315dbc6c560149b3a97b704a676aa
248 2016-10-17T14:25:42  <GitHub167> bitcoin/0.13 cb8887e Wladimir J. van der Laan: qt: periodic translation update
249 2016-10-17T14:25:53  <jonasschnelli> getinfo is to general and uses all sorts of locks
250 2016-10-17T14:26:12  <GitHub185> [bitcoin] s-matthew-english closed pull request #8938: update to bitcoin-qt.desktop (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8938
251 2016-10-17T14:26:23  <jtimon> btcdrak: it has been for a while, at least jun12 2014, see https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/4333#issuecomment-45882887
252 2016-10-17T14:26:23  <btcdrak> wow, looks like an RC today
253 2016-10-17T14:26:47  <achow101> so if rc is tagged today, then should we hold off on that pre-final alert?
254 2016-10-17T14:26:56  <jtimon> jonasschnelli: are there more locks than cs_main ? :p
255 2016-10-17T14:27:02  <jonasschnelli> hehe...
256 2016-10-17T14:27:13  <instagibbs> "Perhaps 0.10 is a good release for killing getinfo :)?" heh
257 2016-10-17T14:27:22  <jonasschnelli> "all sorts of locks" mostly means: cs_main and cs_wallet
258 2016-10-17T14:28:05  <sipa> we clearly need to add a cs_getinfo first.
259 2016-10-17T14:28:59  <jtimon> yeah, not sure if I should wait for 0.15 to remove the "temporal" TestnetToBeDeprecatedFieldRPC or do it directly in #8921, certainly rpcmining can remove its redundant "testnet" field though
260 2016-10-17T14:29:13  <btcdrak> sipa: you need to update your BIP PR to amend this as well https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009/assignments.mediawiki
261 2016-10-17T14:30:31  <btcdrak> maybe I can just edit it
262 2016-10-17T14:32:17  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2016-10-17T14:32:32  <sipa> BlueMatt: your rebase of compact block tweaks differs from my manual version
264 2016-10-17T14:32:40  <sipa> -                        if (mi->second->nHeight >= chainActive.Height() - MAX_CMPCTBLOCK_DEPTH) {
265 2016-10-17T14:32:43  <sipa> +                        if (CanDirectFetch(Params().GetConsensus()) && mi->second->nHeight >= chainActive.Height() - MAX_CMPCTBLOCK_DEPTH) {
266 2016-10-17T14:32:48  <BlueMatt> argh
267 2016-10-17T14:32:48  <sipa> -        LOCK(cs_main);
268 2016-10-17T14:32:48  <sipa> +        CBlock block;
269 2016-10-17T14:32:48  <sipa> +        bool fBlockRead = false;
270 2016-10-17T14:32:51  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
271 2016-10-17T14:32:56  <sipa> we want the '+' side of this, right?
272 2016-10-17T14:33:04  <BlueMatt> i have no idea, need context
273 2016-10-17T14:33:20  <sipa> the '-' side lacks your fix for reduction of locks
274 2016-10-17T14:33:22  <BlueMatt> note that my branch includes one commit on top
275 2016-10-17T14:33:27  <sipa> ah
276 2016-10-17T14:33:34  <BlueMatt> yea, i was suggesting we dont bother with that commit (the cs_main fix)
277 2016-10-17T14:33:38  * jtimon sees Params().GetConsensus() being used directly...
278 2016-10-17T14:33:43  <BlueMatt> just because it already has acks on the pr
279 2016-10-17T14:33:46  <BlueMatt> easy to push it to another pr
280 2016-10-17T14:34:12  <sipa> BlueMatt: then there is still a difference
281 2016-10-17T14:34:18  <BlueMatt> jtimon: yea, i think sdaftuar point that out to me on fri or so
282 2016-10-17T14:34:35  <BlueMatt> should fix
283 2016-10-17T14:36:12  <jtimon> BlueMatt: great. I mean, not a big deal, but I grep Params() every time I rebase #7829 git blame would blame you
284 2016-10-17T14:36:34  <BlueMatt> jtimon: no, its already passed into that function, so should not call Params()
285 2016-10-17T14:36:51  <BlueMatt> sipa: lemme look
286 2016-10-17T14:37:28  <sipa> BlueMatt: in response to receiving a getdata MSG_CMPCT_BLOCK, and we're likely in IBD, should we respond with a normal block or not?
287 2016-10-17T14:37:37  <BlueMatt> yes
288 2016-10-17T14:37:38  <sipa> i don't remember where this patch originates
289 2016-10-17T14:37:39  <BlueMatt> normal block
290 2016-10-17T14:37:42  <sipa> ok
291 2016-10-17T14:38:44  <sipa> rebased
292 2016-10-17T14:38:48  <sipa> (using your history)
293 2016-10-17T14:38:53  <BlueMatt> kk
294 2016-10-17T14:39:34  <BlueMatt> wait, now I'm confused
295 2016-10-17T14:39:40  <BlueMatt> i thought we did want the CanDirectFetch?
296 2016-10-17T14:39:44  <sipa> indeed
297 2016-10-17T14:39:49  <sipa> your version had that, mine does not
298 2016-10-17T14:40:00  <BlueMatt> i dont see it on the github diff now?
299 2016-10-17T14:40:25  <sipa> presumably because the CanDirectFetch already exists in master, and my patch unintentionally undid it
300 2016-10-17T14:40:36  <sipa> while yours leaves it alone
301 2016-10-17T14:40:45  <BlueMatt> ahh, ok
302 2016-10-17T14:41:21  *** jnewbery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2016-10-17T14:41:44  <sipa> actually, no
304 2016-10-17T14:42:08  <BlueMatt> yea, no, it should be on L4877
305 2016-10-17T14:42:25  <sipa> i just pushed the wrong branch
306 2016-10-17T14:42:27  <sipa> fixed now
307 2016-10-17T14:42:29  <BlueMatt> (though, as jtimon points out, it shouldnt call Params(), it should use consensusParams)
308 2016-10-17T14:42:36  <sipa> ah
309 2016-10-17T14:43:06  <sipa> fixing
310 2016-10-17T14:43:11  <BlueMatt> thanks
311 2016-10-17T14:43:21  <sipa> jtimon: sorry, wasn't clear to me that we actually already had a consensusParams variable there
312 2016-10-17T14:49:39  <GitHub157> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/c90111314435...c6b959efcf2d
313 2016-10-17T14:49:40  <GitHub157> bitcoin/master f9c23de Pieter Wuille: Define start and end time for segwit deployment
314 2016-10-17T14:49:40  <GitHub157> bitcoin/master c6b959e Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #8937: Define start and end time for segwit deployment...
315 2016-10-17T14:49:52  <GitHub74> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8937: Define start and end time for segwit deployment (master...bip141start) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8937
316 2016-10-17T14:50:24  <sipa> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.13.1
317 2016-10-17T14:50:28  <sipa> > No results matched your search.
318 2016-10-17T14:50:31  <sipa> \0/
319 2016-10-17T14:50:38  <achow101> \o/
320 2016-10-17T14:50:56  <jtimon> sipa: ideally if we don't have it, create it at the top for "my minions" to turn it into a parameter more easily
321 2016-10-17T14:51:21  <sipa> jtimon: fixed in #8637
322 2016-10-17T14:51:26  * BlueMatt goes to update his node due to preferential peering stuff
323 2016-10-17T14:51:26  <jtimon> thanks!
324 2016-10-17T14:51:41  <sipa> BlueMatt: how ready is FIBRE for segwit?
325 2016-10-17T14:51:47  <BlueMatt> uhhh, uhhhhh
326 2016-10-17T14:51:53  <BlueMatt> just needs rebased on master now
327 2016-10-17T14:51:56  <sipa> You have 6 weeks.
328 2016-10-17T14:52:09  <BlueMatt> I'll do that this week
329 2016-10-17T14:52:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
330 2016-10-17T14:52:16  <sipa> May the blocks be ever in your favor.
331 2016-10-17T14:53:17  <GitHub97> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/8b66659921e6170831f3a043e9a54fa45776aa68
332 2016-10-17T14:53:17  <GitHub97> bitcoin/0.13 8b66659 Pieter Wuille: Define start and end time for segwit deployment...
333 2016-10-17T14:53:29  <achow101> rc1 tag now?
334 2016-10-17T14:54:02  <btcdrak> achow101: we need release notes yet I think?
335 2016-10-17T14:54:09  <sipa> going to update my node to 0.13 branch
336 2016-10-17T14:54:20  <instagibbs> cmpctblks twkz, and notes?
337 2016-10-17T14:54:39  <sipa> i don't think we need the tweaks in 0.13
338 2016-10-17T14:54:51  <instagibbs> ok fine :( I'll just tattoo it on my arm
339 2016-10-17T14:54:54  <jtimon> yeah, doesn't 8637 need backporting?
340 2016-10-17T14:55:03  <jtimon> oh, ok
341 2016-10-17T14:55:37  <achow101> oh, release notes. can't forget about those
342 2016-10-17T14:55:51  <instagibbs> Well at this point, I should just proposed we change the debug string to something easier to remember
343 2016-10-17T14:56:09  <jtimon> what debug string?
344 2016-10-17T14:57:24  <instagibbs> -debug=cmpctblock. I'll stop complaining now :)
345 2016-10-17T14:57:45  <wumpus> working on release notes
346 2016-10-17T14:57:51  <sipa> you need help?
347 2016-10-17T14:58:29  <wumpus> probably; I'll do the list of pulls and authors, but if something needs special mention please submit a pull
348 2016-10-17T14:58:53  <BlueMatt> sipa: if i update my dnsseed today do we want that in 0.13?
349 2016-10-17T14:59:22  <sipa> BlueMatt: i would say so
350 2016-10-17T14:59:35  <wumpus> yes
351 2016-10-17T15:00:00  <BlueMatt> argh, ok, I'll prioritize that today
352 2016-10-17T15:00:08  <sipa> BlueMatt: you can of course 'trivially' support it by just making x9.* an alias for the normal seed
353 2016-10-17T15:00:19  <btcdrak> are petertodd and jonasschnelli's seed working ok yet? they seemed really flakey for a while
354 2016-10-17T15:00:21  <sipa> so you can do the actual implementation work later
355 2016-10-17T15:00:29  *** davec has quit IRC
356 2016-10-17T15:00:40  <BlueMatt> sipa: ok, true, I'll do that and we can add the tag today
357 2016-10-17T15:01:47  <sipa> btcdrak: jonasschnelli's seems to work, though it only returns one x9 node
358 2016-10-17T15:01:57  <btcdrak> I was just about to say
359 2016-10-17T15:02:36  <btcdrak> sipa: yours in only returning 3 x9s
360 2016-10-17T15:03:00  <sipa> btcdrak: it knows about 8, though a few are fake
361 2016-10-17T15:03:08  <sipa> the result corresponds with my database, though
362 2016-10-17T15:03:21  <sipa> so i think we're good
363 2016-10-17T15:03:27  <sipa> once 0.13.1 nodes appear, they should be detected
364 2016-10-17T15:04:01  <sipa> wumpus: are the release notes for 0.13.1 supposed to be relative to 0.13.0 or 0.12?
365 2016-10-17T15:04:54  <sipa> 0.13.0 i suppose, as the file is empty
366 2016-10-17T15:05:59  <wumpus> wumpus: 0.13.0
367 2016-10-17T15:06:14  <sipa> wumpus: is wumpus talking to himself?
368 2016-10-17T15:06:49  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
369 2016-10-17T15:07:54  <wumpus> release notes are relative to the last minor release in case of a major release, and relative to the previous release on that branch in case of a minor release
370 2016-10-17T15:08:18  <wumpus> lol
371 2016-10-17T15:08:30  <achow101> what are x9 nodes?
372 2016-10-17T15:09:23  <sipa> achow101: 9 == hex for NODE_NETWORK|NODE_WITNESS
373 2016-10-17T15:09:25  *** fengling_ has quit IRC
374 2016-10-17T15:09:50  <achow101> i see
375 2016-10-17T15:10:04  <BlueMatt> dig x9.dnsseed.bluematt.me
376 2016-10-17T15:10:04  <BlueMatt> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
377 2016-10-17T15:10:04  <BlueMatt> x9.dnsseed.bluematt.me.	120	IN	CNAME	dnsseed.bluematt.me.
378 2016-10-17T15:10:04  <gribble> Error: "ANSWER" is not a valid command.
379 2016-10-17T15:10:08  <BlueMatt> is that sufficient sipa ?
380 2016-10-17T15:10:09  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
381 2016-10-17T15:10:16  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
382 2016-10-17T15:10:27  <sipa> ack
383 2016-10-17T15:10:52  <BlueMatt> if you add it to src, please include a comment noting that this is only active for x9, and someone needs to ping me if they want more
384 2016-10-17T15:11:09  <sipa> same for my seeder
385 2016-10-17T15:11:17  <sipa> it supports only a few combinations
386 2016-10-17T15:11:29  <BlueMatt> ok, should add a comment, then :)
387 2016-10-17T15:11:35  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
388 2016-10-17T15:11:38  <achow101> how do i see what nodes the seeder reports for those nodes?
389 2016-10-17T15:11:47  <achow101> for x9
390 2016-10-17T15:12:07  <sipa> dig x9.[seedername]
391 2016-10-17T15:12:28  <achow101> thnx
392 2016-10-17T15:12:49  <GitHub16> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #8939: Update implemented bips for 0.13.1 (master...bips131) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8939
393 2016-10-17T15:16:52  <sipa> BlueMatt: send PR?
394 2016-10-17T15:22:25  <BlueMatt> sipa: I'ma add lots o comments
395 2016-10-17T15:22:53  <sipa> k!
396 2016-10-17T15:23:16  <BlueMatt> sipa: which does yours support?
397 2016-10-17T15:23:42  <sipa> x1, x5, x9, x13
398 2016-10-17T15:24:06  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: which does yours support?
399 2016-10-17T15:24:09  <BlueMatt> I assume the same as sipa?
400 2016-10-17T15:24:22  <sipa> presumably the same - it's the software default, though it can be configured with a cmdline flag
401 2016-10-17T15:25:17  <sipa> so NETWORK, NETWORK|BLOOM, NETWORK|WITNESS, NETWORK|BLOOM|WITNESS.
402 2016-10-17T15:26:31  <achow101> does the current master advertise WITNESS?
403 2016-10-17T15:26:38  <sipa> yes
404 2016-10-17T15:26:51  <sipa> it should!
405 2016-10-17T15:27:15  <GitHub145> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #8940: Add x9 service bit support to dnsseed.bluematt.me (master...2016-10-dnsseed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8940
406 2016-10-17T15:27:24  <BlueMatt> sipa: ^
407 2016-10-17T15:27:42  <achow101> hmm. I don't see my node in the seeders for x9
408 2016-10-17T15:28:05  <BlueMatt> achow101: lol, they're not /that/ fast to pick up updates
409 2016-10-17T15:28:45  <sipa> achow101: wait a few days
410 2016-10-17T15:29:06  <achow101> I've been running builds of master since a very long time ago
411 2016-10-17T15:29:46  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
412 2016-10-17T15:29:47  <sipa> master only advertizes NODE_WITNESS since the merge of 8937, 40 minutes ago
413 2016-10-17T15:29:52  <BlueMatt> achow101: master has only supported it for like the last hour
414 2016-10-17T15:30:25  <achow101> oh. I thought it advertised it earlier.
415 2016-10-17T15:31:32  <instagibbs> achow101, NODE_WITNESS is only advertised once bip9 parameters have been defined for a chain
416 2016-10-17T15:32:05  <achow101> yup. just realized that
417 2016-10-17T15:46:05  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
418 2016-10-17T15:48:05  <sipa>     "subver": "/Satoshi:0.13.99(Ereshkigal)/",
419 2016-10-17T15:48:09  <sipa> anyone know what that is?
420 2016-10-17T15:49:07  <MarcoFalke> just someone setting -uacomment?
421 2016-10-17T15:49:50  <sipa> there are multiple nodes reporting that
422 2016-10-17T15:49:57  <wumpus> should be only one, mine
423 2016-10-17T15:50:01  <sipa> ah
424 2016-10-17T15:50:12  <MarcoFalke> Anything holding back 8928?
425 2016-10-17T15:50:50  <sipa> wumpus: i have hereby deanonimized your onion address (i have two connections reporting that, one onion one ipv4)
426 2016-10-17T15:52:09  <wumpus> good one :-) luckily it's a public node
427 2016-10-17T15:53:05  <wumpus> though good point on deanonimization using bitcoin user agents, woudl be something to add as warning to onionscan
428 2016-10-17T15:54:43  <wumpus> though one shouldn't have their node listening on both onion and clearnet if the intention is to hide, I hope we mention that in tor.md
429 2016-10-17T15:55:20  <sipa> i believe we do
430 2016-10-17T15:57:03  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: completely focused on 0.13.1 right now, will look later
431 2016-10-17T16:03:35  <wumpus> sipa: I can't find the commit for #8651 (Predeclare PrecomputedTransactionData as struct) in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8679 , am I missing something or was it squashed into another one?
432 2016-10-17T16:04:16  <wumpus> (need to manually fix these as they have no Github-Pull header)
433 2016-10-17T16:04:58  <sipa> wumpus: seems it was squashed
434 2016-10-17T16:05:41  <wumpus> yes, seems to be part of b8c79a057c48c871a5e48bdcdf600fbfe68f656b, thanks
435 2016-10-17T16:05:41  *** davec has quit IRC
436 2016-10-17T16:06:26  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
437 2016-10-17T16:08:31  <sipa> wumpus: i'll remember to add Github-Pull tags in the future
438 2016-10-17T16:08:43  <sipa> wumpus: is there some reference for that in the developer notes?
439 2016-10-17T16:09:52  <wumpus> no, I don't think it's mentioned anywhere, it should be
440 2016-10-17T16:10:40  <wumpus> I recently wrote my own auto-backport script and there's one by luke-jr floating around, should probably reference at least one of them there then
441 2016-10-17T16:12:36  <wumpus> anyhow having to sort a few manually is not a big deal, it's a lot of manual work anyway
442 2016-10-17T16:13:40  <MarcoFalke> I like the script by luke-jr. Makes sure the formatting is consistent and it requires less brain power, so less typos.
443 2016-10-17T16:14:02  <MarcoFalke> Oh, Is 8939 the last pull before tagging 0.13.1?
444 2016-10-17T16:14:36  <BlueMatt> also need #8940
445 2016-10-17T16:14:41  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
446 2016-10-17T16:14:51  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
447 2016-10-17T16:14:59  <wumpus> a script does help, it's easy to mistype pull numbers
448 2016-10-17T16:15:33  <wumpus> they should have an error correcting digit :)
449 2016-10-17T16:16:13  <btcdrak> wumpus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ereshkigal
450 2016-10-17T16:16:43  <btcdrak> s/wumpus/sipa/
451 2016-10-17T16:17:03  <sipa> btcdrak: i had found that myself, but didnt answer who was running the node :)
452 2016-10-17T16:17:23  <btcdrak> pagans
453 2016-10-17T16:18:43  <wumpus> releases are still too infrequent to warrant automating a lot of the things, though it would be good for consistency
454 2016-10-17T16:19:14  <wumpus> btcdrak: :D
455 2016-10-17T16:19:24  <sipa> we need wumpus.sh, though
456 2016-10-17T16:20:25  <btcdrak> testnet is running 0.13 now
457 2016-10-17T16:20:42  <btcdrak> ^ mining with
458 2016-10-17T16:20:50  <sipa> 0.13.1?
459 2016-10-17T16:21:05  *** BashCo has quit IRC
460 2016-10-17T16:21:33  <btcdrak> yes
461 2016-10-17T16:21:43  *** andytoshi has quit IRC
462 2016-10-17T16:21:43  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
463 2016-10-17T16:22:42  <btcdrak> cfields_: any update on cgminer?
464 2016-10-17T16:24:29  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
465 2016-10-17T16:26:08  *** BashCo has quit IRC
466 2016-10-17T16:39:30  <btcdrak> proof reading appreciated please https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/235
467 2016-10-17T16:40:40  <wumpus> wumpus.sh hah, could at least spawn a few instances in parallel then
468 2016-10-17T16:44:28  <sipa> btcdrak: will read
469 2016-10-17T16:47:10  <waxwing> btcdrak: "Despite the keyhash formula is same as" should be "Despite the fact that the .. is the same as"
470 2016-10-17T16:48:51  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
471 2016-10-17T16:49:07  <GitHub169> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/7462125724ed3b88de490ab1bc3a4c3bea65fe2d
472 2016-10-17T16:49:07  <GitHub169> bitcoin/0.13 7462125 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Fill in changelog and authors in release notes
473 2016-10-17T16:51:01  <GitHub124> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/614ef85ff97602c31f471436004210a74f2d8946
474 2016-10-17T16:51:02  <GitHub124> bitcoin/0.13 614ef85 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Properly sort authors list
475 2016-10-17T16:52:47  <waxwing> btcdrak: i think you intended P2SH-P2WSH here: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/235/files#diff-6db9954f8386d196f3fcdc81537ced87R113
476 2016-10-17T16:53:41  <waxwing> well, for some values of 'you'
477 2016-10-17T16:54:44  <waxwing> scrip*t*PubKey here: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/235/files#diff-6db9954f8386d196f3fcdc81537ced87R119
478 2016-10-17T16:55:44  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
479 2016-10-17T16:56:31  <waxwing> lines 122-124 'permanent(ly)'
480 2016-10-17T16:57:21  <jl2012> waxing: thanks for reviewing. Sorry for many typos. I'll fix later
481 2016-10-17T16:57:49  <GitHub61> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/c6b959efcf2d...ef3402d9a8cb
482 2016-10-17T16:57:49  <GitHub61> bitcoin/master 0941f55 Pieter Wuille: Update implemented bips for 0.13.1
483 2016-10-17T16:57:50  <GitHub61> bitcoin/master ef3402d Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #8939: Update implemented bips for 0.13.1...
484 2016-10-17T16:58:03  <GitHub44> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8939: Update implemented bips for 0.13.1 (master...bips131) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8939
485 2016-10-17T16:58:37  <waxwing> actually just s/scripPubKey/scriptPubKey/g
486 2016-10-17T17:01:14  <BlueMatt> sipa: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8940#discussion_r83682480
487 2016-10-17T17:02:35  <GitHub22> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/06d15fbea6fafb714f9576664422615704ad05fb
488 2016-10-17T17:02:35  <GitHub22> bitcoin/0.13 06d15fb Pieter Wuille: Update implemented bips for 0.13.1...
489 2016-10-17T17:13:22  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.13/doc/release-notes.md#notable-changes I guess the segwit activation needs special mention? Is there any text we can take over from any of the FAQs for this?
490 2016-10-17T17:15:20  <GitHub195> [bitcoin] cdecker opened pull request #8941: Marking filter support for cdecker's DNS seed (master...dns-filter) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8941
491 2016-10-17T17:17:06  <harding> wumpus: I can probably find and adapt something.
492 2016-10-17T17:17:27  <wumpus> harding: that'd be awesome
493 2016-10-17T17:17:30  <cdecker> sipa: DNS filtering support added :-)
494 2016-10-17T17:17:44  <wumpus> cdecker: thanks
495 2016-10-17T17:17:47  <sipa> cdecker vs BlueMatt: 1-0
496 2016-10-17T17:17:48  <sipa> ;)
497 2016-10-17T17:18:08  <cdecker> Didn't know it was a competition
498 2016-10-17T17:18:09  <sipa> (just kidding, i'm amazed you both started working on this immediately)
499 2016-10-17T17:18:16  <cdecker> But I'll take the point ^^
500 2016-10-17T17:18:54  <BlueMatt> wait, do you have your own seeder codebase cdecker?
501 2016-10-17T17:19:12  <BlueMatt> sipa: also, have you seen my seeder codebase? good god its horendous
502 2016-10-17T17:19:12  <cdecker> Yep, I have implemented my own crawler + dns seed
503 2016-10-17T17:19:27  <sipa> BlueMatt: thankfully i don't need to
504 2016-10-17T17:19:29  <cdecker> Same here, I'll have to rework it eventually
505 2016-10-17T17:19:54  <BlueMatt> I mean I guess its better than the old one...which was based on magicaltux's php half-node and spawned a new process for each node it tested
506 2016-10-17T17:19:57  <BlueMatt> :p
507 2016-10-17T17:20:10  <sipa> i knew the php part
508 2016-10-17T17:20:19  <BlueMatt> also, mysql
509 2016-10-17T17:20:19  <sipa> i guess you've learned.
510 2016-10-17T17:20:26  <BlueMatt> lol, not really, now its in java :p
511 2016-10-17T17:20:37  <wumpus> at least not javascript...
512 2016-10-17T17:20:44  <Lightsword> I hear javascript is the new big thing
513 2016-10-17T17:20:48  * Lightsword *hides*
514 2016-10-17T17:21:15  <sipa> asmjs is almost a decent object format :p
515 2016-10-17T17:21:20  <cdecker> Oh yeah we should do crypto in JS :D
516 2016-10-17T17:21:38  <BlueMatt> Lightsword: no, you're thinking of BASIC
517 2016-10-17T17:22:03  <cdecker> Visual Basic!
518 2016-10-17T17:22:15  <BlueMatt> cdecker: no, that was never the new big thing
519 2016-10-17T17:22:16  <Lightsword> BlueMatt, I suggest COBOL, I hear it’s what all the banks use so it must be good :P
520 2016-10-17T17:22:26  <sipa> can we please not start a flamewar about programming languages? everybody knows that ALGOL was never beaten
521 2016-10-17T17:22:39  <cdecker> You're right, it's the rock solid foundation we all built upon
522 2016-10-17T17:22:42  <BlueMatt> sipa: its called a "religious" war
523 2016-10-17T17:23:08  <sipa> BlueMatt: that'd be emacs vs vi :)
524 2016-10-17T17:23:30  <BlueMatt> you forgot the m
525 2016-10-17T17:23:32  <BlueMatt> in vim
526 2016-10-17T17:23:33  <BlueMatt> :p
527 2016-10-17T17:24:15  <sipa> BlueMatt: pff, vim == vi improved
528 2016-10-17T17:24:28  <BlueMatt> sipa: ehh, i guess either is better than mcedit :p
529 2016-10-17T17:24:43  <sipa> that's right.
530 2016-10-17T17:24:54  <sipa> you misspelled "neither"
531 2016-10-17T17:25:15  <Lightsword> why not ed? https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed-msg.en.html
532 2016-10-17T17:25:17  <BlueMatt> cdecker: which flags do you support?
533 2016-10-17T17:25:24  <sipa> Lightsword: edlin?
534 2016-10-17T17:25:41  <cdecker> The 4 least significant bits
535 2016-10-17T17:25:48  <cdecker> Any combination thereof
536 2016-10-17T17:26:00  <BlueMatt> argh, you broke my scheme
537 2016-10-17T17:26:10  <cdecker> So x5 and x13 are included
538 2016-10-17T17:26:23  <BlueMatt> cdecker: so x1 - x13?
539 2016-10-17T17:26:31  <sipa> x1-x15
540 2016-10-17T17:26:39  <cdecker> Yep
541 2016-10-17T17:26:40  <BlueMatt> yea, thats what i said
542 2016-10-17T17:26:42  <BlueMatt> x1-x15
543 2016-10-17T17:27:04  <GitHub15> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #8942: [doc] 0.13.1: Minor clarification to release notes (0.13...Mf1610-131doc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8942
544 2016-10-17T17:27:09  <cdecker> Well x0 actually also replies, but is equal to no filter
545 2016-10-17T17:27:31  <sipa> i always require NODE_NETWORK, so nothing is equivalent to x1
546 2016-10-17T17:28:21  <cdecker> Hm, haven't found a node without that bit set yet, I'm sure someone broke it somewhere xD
547 2016-10-17T17:28:40  <BlueMatt> wumpus: ok, merged the two
548 2016-10-17T17:28:58  <wumpus> thanks!
549 2016-10-17T17:29:05  <GitHub157> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/06d15fbea6fa...498e950daaf3
550 2016-10-17T17:29:05  <GitHub157> bitcoin/0.13 fa161e8 MarcoFalke: [doc] 0.13.1: Minor clarification to release notes
551 2016-10-17T17:29:05  <GitHub96> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8942: [doc] 0.13.1: Minor clarification to release notes (0.13...Mf1610-131doc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8942
552 2016-10-17T17:29:06  <GitHub157> bitcoin/0.13 498e950 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #8942: [doc] 0.13.1: Minor clarification to release notes...
553 2016-10-17T17:29:15  <BlueMatt> cdecker: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8940/commits/dc1edd8c93ec5b17f5de9bd48e3b2276866ec2b1
554 2016-10-17T17:29:30  <GitHub85> [bitcoin] cdecker closed pull request #8941: Marking filter support for cdecker's DNS seed (master...dns-filter) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8941
555 2016-10-17T17:30:02  <wumpus> this leaves MarcoFalke's remark about sipa's seeder - any explanation why it wouldn't respond to x13?
556 2016-10-17T17:30:29  <sipa> hmm
557 2016-10-17T17:30:30  <cdecker> Does it reply to x8?
558 2016-10-17T17:30:32  <sipa> i just responded
559 2016-10-17T17:30:36  <sipa> but i'm confused myself
560 2016-10-17T17:30:38  <sipa> let me check
561 2016-10-17T17:31:02  <sipa> sigh
562 2016-10-17T17:31:15  <sipa> 13 would xd.seed.bitcoin.sipa.be
563 2016-10-17T17:31:18  <sipa> not x13
564 2016-10-17T17:31:23  * sipa fails at hex
565 2016-10-17T17:32:02  <sipa> BlueMatt: ^
566 2016-10-17T17:32:31  <BlueMatt> cdecker: so you reply to 0x1 - 0xf, right?
567 2016-10-17T17:32:49  <cdecker> Darn, I'm using the decimal representation
568 2016-10-17T17:33:04  <sipa> cdecker: no worries, it works for x9 :)
569 2016-10-17T17:33:23  <wumpus> heh, it would have been more clear if we had padded to 64 bits
570 2016-10-17T17:33:36  <sipa> waste of bandwidth!!!!1
571 2016-10-17T17:33:39  <cdecker> So wait, which one is the format to implement? Hex or decimal
572 2016-10-17T17:33:44  <wumpus> hex
573 2016-10-17T17:33:54  <cdecker> Ok, give me a minute
574 2016-10-17T17:34:11  <wumpus> sorry for the confusion, I had forgot too
575 2016-10-17T17:34:11  <sipa> ^ not a blocker
576 2016-10-17T17:34:29  <BlueMatt> ok, fixed the text to indicate hex everyhwere
577 2016-10-17T17:35:01  <cdecker> Fixed and restarted
578 2016-10-17T17:38:18  <GitHub190> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ef3402d9a8cb...763828df499f
579 2016-10-17T17:38:19  <GitHub190> bitcoin/master 504c72a Matt Corallo: Comment that most dnsseeds only support some service bits combos
580 2016-10-17T17:38:20  <GitHub190> bitcoin/master ffb4713 Matt Corallo: Add x9 service bit support to dnsseed.bluematt.me
581 2016-10-17T17:38:20  <GitHub190> bitcoin/master 2449e12 Christian Decker: My DNS seed supports filtering...
582 2016-10-17T17:38:34  <GitHub161> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8940: Add x9 service bit support to dnsseed.bluematt.me (master...2016-10-dnsseed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8940
583 2016-10-17T17:38:51  <BlueMatt> phew, back to 100% on 0.13.1
584 2016-10-17T17:43:12  *** jnewbery has quit IRC
585 2016-10-17T17:44:27  <GitHub87> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/498e950daaf3...5b4192bc4c40
586 2016-10-17T17:44:28  <GitHub87> bitcoin/0.13 9aa0c15 Matt Corallo: Comment that most dnsseeds only support some service bits combos...
587 2016-10-17T17:44:28  <GitHub87> bitcoin/0.13 3d770a8 Matt Corallo: Add x9 service bit support to dnsseed.bluematt.me...
588 2016-10-17T17:44:29  <GitHub87> bitcoin/0.13 5b4192b Christian Decker: My DNS seed supports filtering...
589 2016-10-17T17:45:49  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
590 2016-10-17T17:50:10  *** jdumb1 has quit IRC
591 2016-10-17T17:51:25  <GitHub171> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/e1169b052991671db1043f432a85b31f9245a4c2
592 2016-10-17T17:51:25  <GitHub171> bitcoin/0.13 e1169b0 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Update release notes for last-minute pulls
593 2016-10-17T17:51:55  <wumpus> time to tag 0.13.0rc1? would be a shame to hold it up on the release notes, those can be updates right until -final anyway
594 2016-10-17T17:52:01  <wumpus> 0.13.1rc1*
595 2016-10-17T17:52:04  <btcdrak> do it!
596 2016-10-17T17:52:13  <btcdrak> I just fired up my gitian VM in anticipation
597 2016-10-17T17:53:34  <harding> I'll be done it about 5 minutes.
598 2016-10-17T17:54:04  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
599 2016-10-17T17:54:05  <wumpus> harding: then we'll wait for you, I need to run pre-release tests anyway
600 2016-10-17T17:54:17  <MarcoFalke> Oh I should have started caching for gitian yesterday..
601 2016-10-17T17:56:00  <wumpus> its not a competition :p
602 2016-10-17T17:57:59  <GitHub18> [bitcoin] harding opened pull request #8943: Release notes: add info about segwit and null dummy soft forks (0.13...notable-change-segwit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8943
603 2016-10-17T18:02:17  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
604 2016-10-17T18:08:38  <btcdrak> MarcoFalke: for Travis?
605 2016-10-17T18:09:37  <MarcoFalke> btcdrak: gitian will cache the depends dir, so it will run faster if you do it the day before rc1 :P
606 2016-10-17T18:13:36  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2016-10-17T18:20:47  <achow101> MarcoFalke: doesn't the cache persist across builds? When I run the cacheing command again it doesn't actually do anything since everything is already there
608 2016-10-17T18:24:17  <MarcoFalke> Yes, it does. But usually some of the depends are bumped, so the compiled and cached ones are no longer valid.
609 2016-10-17T18:24:45  <achow101> did we bump any depends this time?
610 2016-10-17T18:25:32  <achow101> nvm, we did with boost for windows waking
611 2016-10-17T18:26:16  <wumpus> looks like travis is failing on 0.13 brnach
612 2016-10-17T18:27:40  <wumpus> linux 64 bits, no clear error https://travis-ci.org/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/168377467
613 2016-10-17T18:28:09  <wumpus> "Running test/bitcoin-util-test.py..."
614 2016-10-17T18:28:16  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
615 2016-10-17T18:28:47  <MarcoFalke> Should we backport the "run prevector tests faster"
616 2016-10-17T18:28:50  <MarcoFalke> ?
617 2016-10-17T18:28:57  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2016-10-17T18:29:09  <gmaxwell> wumpus: we'll need to do a lot of release note work for 0.13.1 in any case. It would be stupid to hold it now.
619 2016-10-17T18:29:13  <wumpus> well if it's just a problem with the tests I don't care, can fix that at any time later
620 2016-10-17T18:29:38  <gmaxwell> wumpus: for example, we need to have a section on miner software compatiblity... and I expect that some of the things we'd list won't be done until after rc1.
621 2016-10-17T18:29:42  *** brg444 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2016-10-17T18:29:47  <MarcoFalke> But we should understand the failure, ideally.
623 2016-10-17T18:30:06  <wumpus> gmaxwell: agreed
624 2016-10-17T18:30:57  <wumpus> just going to tag now (before I go to bed), if there's any problems we'll just do another rc...
625 2016-10-17T18:31:08  <gmaxwell> \O/
626 2016-10-17T18:31:21  <gmaxwell> RC's are free, esp when we don't even put up binaries for them. :P
627 2016-10-17T18:31:41  <wumpus> it will at least get people to actually test
628 2016-10-17T18:31:46  <wumpus> yep
629 2016-10-17T18:33:27  <wumpus>  * [new tag]         v0.13.1rc1 -> v0.13.1rc1
630 2016-10-17T18:34:35  <achow101> yay!
631 2016-10-17T18:36:35  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
632 2016-10-17T18:37:29  <gmaxwell> because of the preferential peering, y'all should upgrade your own nodes ASAP, if you're not on a very current master or on 0.13.1rc1
633 2016-10-17T18:39:00  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2016-10-17T18:40:21  <wumpus> ah yes good point still need to update my own nodes post-f9c23de
635 2016-10-17T18:42:20  <btcdrak> upgraded and building
636 2016-10-17T18:44:16  <achow101> gmaxwell: cobra merged the alert announcement to bitcoin.org. The date for the alert is set to tomorrow. Should that still happen or should it be pushed back a bit?
637 2016-10-17T18:45:24  <gmaxwell> achow101: with 0.13.1rc1 tagged now, I'd like to push it until after the 0.13.1release.
638 2016-10-17T18:46:29  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
639 2016-10-17T18:46:31  <achow101> I'll make another pr for that. Just set the date to "After 0.13.1 is released" instead of a hard date.
640 2016-10-17T18:47:48  <gmaxwell> sorry for adding delays. :)
641 2016-10-17T18:49:55  <wumpus> well at least I don't think anyone is waiting for that one :)
642 2016-10-17T18:50:09  <wumpus> makes sense to prioritize 0.13.1
643 2016-10-17T18:51:20  <gmaxwell> well I don't want to encourage a wave of updating to 0.13.0 now, since we've seen tolerance effects before (people update slower to a release if its sooner to their last upgrade)
644 2016-10-17T18:58:02  <BlueMatt> ^ while I get why, this is fucked up...if something comes out really quickly after the last its probably a) an easy, small, update, and b) liekly has security hotfixes
645 2016-10-17T19:03:52  <btcdrak> achow101: the alert has actually gone live on the bitcoin.org RSS feeds....
646 2016-10-17T19:04:00  <btcdrak> It's just pinged up in Slack for example...
647 2016-10-17T19:04:03  <achow101> yes, it has
648 2016-10-17T19:04:20  <achow101> that happens when it goes live on bitcoin.org.
649 2016-10-17T19:10:47  <sipa> gmaxwell: yup, already upgraded my node, and seen it appear on my fikteree seed
650 2016-10-17T19:10:52  <sipa> *filtered
651 2016-10-17T19:14:08  <gmaxwell> I'm also seeing a lot of my connection slots eaten up by spynodes.  Here is the banlist I've created: http://0bin.net/paste/0Zo6iK2ZFLcryvGp#SQiUU268nld78Z1aMJG4GRwBjXpD4rasRP266adp7-+
652 2016-10-17T19:14:15  <achow101> given that we don't want people to upgrade yet, it would probably be a good idea to take down the alert post for now, yes?
653 2016-10-17T19:14:46  <gmaxwell> achow101: ugh. yea, I didn't want that with a banner up on bitcoin.org
654 2016-10-17T19:15:35  <gmaxwell> achow101: crap.
655 2016-10-17T19:15:37  <gmaxwell> damnit.
656 2016-10-17T19:16:01  <achow101> wasn't expecting cobra to be so active today
657 2016-10-17T19:23:10  <wumpus> gmaxwell: number of connections went from 54 to 14 after applying that banlist :)
658 2016-10-17T19:32:19  <kanzure> oh crud, he merged because of the ACK probably
659 2016-10-17T19:32:56  <achow101> he merged probably because of the multiple previous ACKs and then we didn't tell him not to merge today
660 2016-10-17T19:33:24  *** whphhg has quit IRC
661 2016-10-17T19:33:32  *** moli has quit IRC
662 2016-10-17T19:34:25  *** whphhg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
663 2016-10-17T19:34:50  <achow101> well it's gone now, so that's good (I guess)
664 2016-10-17T19:42:25  <sipa> who merged what?
665 2016-10-17T19:42:48  <Lauda> Alert key warning on Bitcoin.org
666 2016-10-17T19:43:09  <achow101> cobra merged the post about the prefinal alert on bitcoin.org a few minutes after rc1 was tagged
667 2016-10-17T19:43:21  <sipa> ah
668 2016-10-17T19:46:24  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
669 2016-10-17T19:52:57  <gmaxwell> hm. /r/bitcoin could set the automoderator to automatically hide posts from non verified submitters for moderator approval that contain the string "Bitcoin.*Core.*releas"
670 2016-10-17T19:54:44  *** bsm1175321 has quit IRC
671 2016-10-17T19:55:09  *** bsm1175321 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
672 2016-10-17T19:59:43  <wumpus> that's kind of smart
673 2016-10-17T20:00:33  *** bsm1175321 is now known as bsm117532
674 2016-10-17T20:00:45  <wumpus> avoids the most straightforward attack of someone falsely announcing a release, at least
675 2016-10-17T20:03:51  *** brg444 has quit IRC
676 2016-10-17T20:14:03  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
677 2016-10-17T20:19:16  <BlueMatt> aaaaannnndddd segfault with 0.13.1
678 2016-10-17T20:19:44  <achow101> oh?
679 2016-10-17T20:20:03  <BlueMatt> lol, feelers broke addnode
680 2016-10-17T20:20:28  <BlueMatt> excuse me, not segfault, assert
681 2016-10-17T20:21:34  <sipa> BlueMatt: which is why we have rcs :)
682 2016-10-17T20:21:52  <BlueMatt> net.cpp:        assert(nOutbound <= (MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS + MAX_FEELER_CONNECTIONS)); is bogus if you use addnode
683 2016-10-17T20:22:09  *** JackH has quit IRC
684 2016-10-17T20:23:53  *** moli has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
685 2016-10-17T20:28:59  <wumpus> is that just on 0.13.1 or also on master?
686 2016-10-17T20:29:18  <wumpus> please don't tell me that we have no tests for addnode, and no one tried it since feeler was merged :(
687 2016-10-17T20:29:37  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
688 2016-10-17T20:29:41  <sipa> i have addnodes
689 2016-10-17T20:29:44  <GitHub67> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #8944: Remove bogus assert on number of oubound connections. (master...2016-10-bad-assert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8944
690 2016-10-17T20:29:56  <sipa> and i've been running master for a long time
691 2016-10-17T20:30:00  <sipa> i see no assert fail
692 2016-10-17T20:30:01  <BlueMatt> wumpus: I dont know how anyone could have used addnode after their node has been running and not have hit this
693 2016-10-17T20:30:09  <BlueMatt> if they have addnodes in bitcoin.conf they would likely not have
694 2016-10-17T20:30:11  <sipa> oh, you mean addnode rpc?
695 2016-10-17T20:30:13  <BlueMatt> yes
696 2016-10-17T20:30:21  <sipa> yeah, i think you're the only user for that :)
697 2016-10-17T20:30:23  <BlueMatt> or an addnode which was offline and then came up after running
698 2016-10-17T20:31:22  <BlueMatt> i just wanted to addnode other segwit peers :(
699 2016-10-17T20:31:27  <achow101> just tried it on master and I don't see a problem
700 2016-10-17T20:31:33  <achow101> It just returns null
701 2016-10-17T20:31:36  <BlueMatt> achow101: addnode onetry a few times
702 2016-10-17T20:31:38  <BlueMatt> to different nodes
703 2016-10-17T20:32:00  <wumpus> is that assertion new?
704 2016-10-17T20:32:04  <BlueMatt> yes
705 2016-10-17T20:32:17  <BlueMatt> blame on 0.13.1 shows it as from 2611ad79a5d53e2ce1535b342a9b72c2888a6c3f
706 2016-10-17T20:32:18  *** d_t has quit IRC
707 2016-10-17T20:32:23  <BlueMatt> which is feelers
708 2016-10-17T20:32:53  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
709 2016-10-17T20:32:58  <achow101> oh. I think I see now. It just crashed on me after I did it a few times
710 2016-10-17T20:33:01  <sipa> i don't understand why addnode breaks that assertion
711 2016-10-17T20:33:15  <sipa> i'd say something is broken with addnode then
712 2016-10-17T20:33:20  <BlueMatt> because addnode will result in you having $ADDNODE_COUNT + $ORIGINAL_OUTBOUND_COUNT outbound peers
713 2016-10-17T20:33:33  <BlueMatt> the addnode peers are not marked fInbound (because they are not inbound0
714 2016-10-17T20:33:34  <BlueMatt> )
715 2016-10-17T20:33:50  <wumpus> I think it used to be the case that addnode wouldn't allow you to create more outbound connections than allowed
716 2016-10-17T20:33:55  <sipa> addnode doesn't respect the max outgoing connection count?
717 2016-10-17T20:34:05  <BlueMatt> sipa: no it doesnt
718 2016-10-17T20:34:06  <BlueMatt> why would it
719 2016-10-17T20:34:09  <wumpus> I don't think an assertion is the right way to enforce that, though
720 2016-10-17T20:34:11  <sipa> didn't we fix that?
721 2016-10-17T20:34:12  <BlueMatt> wumpus: im rather confident that is not the case
722 2016-10-17T20:34:32  <wumpus> BlueMatt: so addnode allowes you to create, say, 100 outgoing connections?
723 2016-10-17T20:34:37  <BlueMatt> yes
724 2016-10-17T20:34:39  <wumpus> blegh
725 2016-10-17T20:34:48  <BlueMatt> it would be massively surprising behavior for it not to
726 2016-10-17T20:34:53  <wumpus> that limit exists for a reason
727 2016-10-17T20:34:57  <BlueMatt> what if I want to peer with the 10 other nodes that I run?
728 2016-10-17T20:35:03  <sipa> ThreadOpenAddedConnections uses semOutbound
729 2016-10-17T20:35:14  <sipa> ah, no
730 2016-10-17T20:35:22  <sipa> it does, but doesn't check the result
731 2016-10-17T20:35:53  <sipa> i remember
732 2016-10-17T20:36:52  <wumpus> BlueMatt: yes with that reasoning it makes some sense
733 2016-10-17T20:37:05  <wumpus> though I don't htink anyone but you was understanding this implication
734 2016-10-17T20:37:17  <BlueMatt> addnode does, however, result in your node making fewer other outbound connections, which i think is (mostly) reasonable
735 2016-10-17T20:37:27  <BlueMatt> though it might be nice to lower-bound that (to, say, 2 or 3)
736 2016-10-17T20:37:39  <BlueMatt> because you might addnode yourself into a sybil
737 2016-10-17T20:37:48  <BlueMatt> where you only connect outbound to yourself
738 2016-10-17T20:38:06  <sipa> or always treat the outgoing connections as using a connection slot, unless the peer knows you specifically (whitelist/bip150/...)
739 2016-10-17T20:38:45  <BlueMatt> hey, my node found a segwit peer of its own volition
740 2016-10-17T20:38:50  <BlueMatt> well, unless that person addnode'd me
741 2016-10-17T20:39:12  <sipa> addnode=eu.ng.bitcoinrelaynetwork.org
742 2016-10-17T20:39:13  <sipa> addnode=nns4r54x3lfbrkq5.onion
743 2016-10-17T20:39:13  <sipa> addnode=t3x2266jvxpwwwzq.onion
744 2016-10-17T20:39:13  <sipa> addnode=192.99.46.190
745 2016-10-17T20:39:20  <sipa> are you any of those?
746 2016-10-17T20:39:37  <BlueMatt> dig +short public-seed.bluematt.me
747 2016-10-17T20:39:37  <BlueMatt> 198.251.83.19
748 2016-10-17T20:39:38  <BlueMatt> no
749 2016-10-17T20:40:48  <Lightsword> is there any way to do “bitcoin-cli getblocktemplate” with segwit active?
750 2016-10-17T20:42:41  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
751 2016-10-17T20:43:41  <sipa> Lightsword: you need to pass some extra parameter to indicate the miner supports segwit
752 2016-10-17T20:43:56  <Lightsword> sipa, how do I do that with bitcoin-cli?
753 2016-10-17T20:45:27  <sipa> $ ./bitcoin-cli -testnet getblocktemplate '{"rules":["segwit"]}'
754 2016-10-17T20:46:17  <wumpus> seems that's not documented in the help for the request
755 2016-10-17T20:46:44  <wumpus> just 'capabilities' and 'mode'; 'rules' is only shown as a reply field
756 2016-10-17T20:46:57  <sipa> indeed
757 2016-10-17T20:47:07  <sipa> though the help text does refer to https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009.mediawiki#getblocktemplate_changes
758 2016-10-17T20:47:15  <Lightsword> would it make sense to just have bitcoin-cli pass the segwit rules by default?
759 2016-10-17T20:47:20  <Lightsword> so that scripts don’t get broken
760 2016-10-17T20:47:30  <Lightsword> since nobody is actually going to mine using bitcoin-cli
761 2016-10-17T20:47:34  <sipa> Lightsword: it's intended to break things
762 2016-10-17T20:47:46  <sipa> as clients need to explicitly make changes to support segwit
763 2016-10-17T20:48:01  <Lightsword> intended to break bitcoin-cli? yes I know it breaks clients intentionally
764 2016-10-17T20:48:48  <btcdrak> wumpus: I see your asserts in the gitian.sigs repo but not signatures.
765 2016-10-17T20:49:00  <sipa> well it should equally break those scripts, right? even if they're not used for mining directly, if they're not modified, some things may silently break when segwit activates
766 2016-10-17T20:49:35  <sipa> but we should update the help output
767 2016-10-17T20:50:25  <wumpus> btcdrak: eh yes, added
768 2016-10-17T20:50:27  <Lightsword> sipa, I assume most would just use it for checking if a transaction is going to be mined next block
769 2016-10-17T20:55:33  *** achow101_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
770 2016-10-17T21:01:03  <BlueMatt> I complained about this months ago
771 2016-10-17T21:03:04  <BlueMatt> well, a month ago
772 2016-10-17T21:04:05  <wumpus> connected to four witness nodes already
773 2016-10-17T21:04:34  <BlueMatt> dig +short x9.dnsseed.bluematt.me | wc -l
774 2016-10-17T21:04:34  <BlueMatt> 7
775 2016-10-17T21:06:53  <GitHub170> [bitcoin] Michagogo opened pull request #8947: Add historical release notes for v0.13.0 (0.13...0.13) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8947
776 2016-10-17T21:07:38  <michagogo> Er, wait a sec
777 2016-10-17T21:07:56  <michagogo> master's historical release notes for 0.13.0 don't match release-notes.md in the v0.13.0 tag
778 2016-10-17T21:08:00  *** kadoban has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
779 2016-10-17T21:08:08  <michagogo> -- #8072 `1b87e5b` Travis: 'make check' in parallel and verbose (theuni)
780 2016-10-17T21:08:08  <michagogo> +- #8072 `1b87e5b` Travis: 'make check' in parallel and verbose (MarcoFalke)
781 2016-10-17T21:08:18  <BlueMatt> heh
782 2016-10-17T21:09:12  <wumpus> that happens, some people update the release notes on master
783 2016-10-17T21:09:31  <wumpus> it's too late to update them on the tag so they update the historical release notes, I also find that curious, but meh
784 2016-10-17T21:10:12  <BlueMatt> clearly MarcoFalke and cfields_ are in a commit-count feud
785 2016-10-17T21:10:30  <cfields_> eh?
786 2016-10-17T21:11:20  <btcdrak> ha
787 2016-10-17T21:11:20  <gmaxwell> Lightsword: there is some risk that some genius is mining using system('bitcoin-cli getblocktemplate').
788 2016-10-17T21:11:54  <gmaxwell> I don't know how great that risk is... but one thing I've learned is to not underestimate the liklyhood of someone doing something crazy, so long as it works.
789 2016-10-17T21:12:08  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
790 2016-10-17T21:12:35  <cfields_> gmaxwell: agreed. That sounds like exactly something someone might do as a quick hack, then forgets to clean up and it ends up in production
791 2016-10-17T21:12:53  <wumpus> also passing arguments automatically from -cli is going to confuse people
792 2016-10-17T21:13:06  <MarcoFalke> michagogo: The diff should be inversed :P
793 2016-10-17T21:13:09  <Lightsword> gmaxwell, that sounds very unlikely since most pools are based off of open source software and none does that
794 2016-10-17T21:13:59  <sipa> Lightsword: how about we add an RPC to just list what txids would be mined?
795 2016-10-17T21:14:07  <wumpus> the bitcoin-cli API has been kept as close to the RPC API as used by other languages as possible, the only difference is the 'parse this as string or not' bit
796 2016-10-17T21:14:09  <sipa> BlueMatt: complained about what?
797 2016-10-17T21:14:11  <gmaxwell> Lightsword: most hashpower has previously been doing things that no open source software does...
798 2016-10-17T21:14:20  <cfields_> Lightsword: i haven't had a single pool willing to let me poke at their production code...
799 2016-10-17T21:14:59  <Lightsword> sipa, that would be better since full transactions aren’t needed most of the time when using cli
800 2016-10-17T21:15:07  <BlueMatt> sipa: lack of getblocktemplate documentation in rpc help
801 2016-10-17T21:15:36  <wumpus> BlueMatt: you should have created an issue like I just did
802 2016-10-17T21:15:43  <BlueMatt> this is true
803 2016-10-17T21:15:43  <gmaxwell> I'd love an RPC that would let me ask for a block of an arbritary weight limit. ... and also only returns the ids, and some extra fields like the total amount of fees.
804 2016-10-17T21:16:11  <Lightsword> cfields_, kano.is is essentially the open source stock ckpool, mine is a minor patchset(most of my changes are webif related)
805 2016-10-17T21:16:40  <Lightsword> cfields_, btc.com should be open source
806 2016-10-17T21:16:50  <Lightsword> https://github.com/btccom/btcpool
807 2016-10-17T21:18:01  <Lightsword> gmaxwell, btc.com pool software there is a public example of a how the stratum based validationless mining software works
808 2016-10-17T21:18:11  <Lightsword> https://github.com/btccom/btcpool/tree/master/src/poolwatcher
809 2016-10-17T21:19:12  <sipa> wumpus, MarcoFalke: ha, 3 identical issues simultabeously
810 2016-10-17T21:19:29  <MarcoFalke> heh
811 2016-10-17T21:19:42  <Lightsword> btw the btc.com pool software is based off of bitcoin core(an old version 0.8.something)
812 2016-10-17T21:20:21  <wumpus> lol
813 2016-10-17T21:20:46  <sipa> Lightsword: wah
814 2016-10-17T21:21:10  <BlueMatt> whyyyyy
815 2016-10-17T21:21:10  <Lightsword> very heavially modified of course
816 2016-10-17T21:21:16  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
817 2016-10-17T21:21:49  <achow101_> I wonder how that will react to an alert..
818 2016-10-17T21:22:10  <gmaxwell> achow101_: 0.8 didn't do anything with the alerts except display them and relay them.
819 2016-10-17T21:22:21  <Lightsword> that part was all stripped out
820 2016-10-17T21:22:35  <Lightsword> I think it’s mostly just the serialization stuff that was kept
821 2016-10-17T21:22:48  <sipa> ah, ok
822 2016-10-17T21:23:10  <Lightsword> by based off of I mean, took lots of code from 0.8 and built a real pool around it
823 2016-10-17T21:25:15  <michagogo> MarcoFalke: is this better?
824 2016-10-17T21:25:35  <michagogo> (fixed it myself, then went to the PR page and saw something about you requesting changes... what does that mean?)
825 2016-10-17T21:26:24  <michagogo> Oh, this is that upgraded review thing GH launched a while back
826 2016-10-17T21:26:36  <michagogo> I forgot about that, haven't seen it in action yet
827 2016-10-17T21:26:48  <michagogo> Looks like I broke it with my --amend :-/
828 2016-10-17T21:29:29  * MarcoFalke Your review was dismissed successfully.
829 2016-10-17T21:30:45  *** cdecker has quit IRC
830 2016-10-17T21:35:37  *** knightdk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
831 2016-10-17T21:38:48  *** achow101_ has quit IRC
832 2016-10-17T21:41:18  <michagogo> Can someone remind me: was there a process for trivial PRs?
833 2016-10-17T21:41:26  <michagogo> Some other branch/fork or something?
834 2016-10-17T21:41:46  <michagogo> (I feel like there was, but I don't remember where/what)
835 2016-10-17T21:42:08  <wumpus> there was in the past, but there is no longer
836 2016-10-17T21:42:40  <sipa> gmaxwell: sounds useful
837 2016-10-17T21:50:36  *** d_t has quit IRC
838 2016-10-17T21:52:46  *** molz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
839 2016-10-17T21:55:32  *** knightdk has quit IRC
840 2016-10-17T21:56:25  *** moli has quit IRC
841 2016-10-17T21:57:26  <gmaxwell> why is my 0.13.1rc checkout claiming to be Bitcoin version v0.13.0.0-e1169b0  ? did we not bump the version?
842 2016-10-17T22:00:56  <BlueMatt> yes
843 2016-10-17T22:02:20  <gmaxwell> I wonder if we need to add a 'witnessconnections" to getnetworkinfo?
844 2016-10-17T22:02:43  <gmaxwell> it's going to be a pita to support people who are witness partitioned when right not checking for it requires inspecting all of the getpeerinfo output.
845 2016-10-17T22:06:14  <michagogo> wumpus: so just a regular PR?
846 2016-10-17T22:06:58  <wumpus> gmaxwell: if you do, at least add a connection # per service bit, instead of special-casing witness
847 2016-10-17T22:08:09  <wumpus> michagogo: sure
848 2016-10-17T22:08:28  <wumpus> yes, we forgot to bump the version
849 2016-10-17T22:09:51  <gmaxwell> wumpus: okay, though witness is special due to preferential connection and block fetching restrictions.
850 2016-10-17T22:10:11  <gmaxwell> With segwit active, a node with witness connection 0 is really no less partitioned from the network than one with connections 0.
851 2016-10-17T22:10:11  <wumpus> yes, many more may be special in the future
852 2016-10-17T22:10:16  <gmaxwell> True.
853 2016-10-17T22:10:52  <wumpus> it will look like a bad design decision in the future to special-case anything now, no matter how important it looks, trust me
854 2016-10-17T22:11:00  <michagogo> Okay, sigs up: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gitian.sigs/pull/407
855 2016-10-17T22:11:00  <gmaxwell> uh hm. so another peer that I updated, shows Bitcoin version v0.13.1rc1
856 2016-10-17T22:11:06  <gmaxwell> s/peer/node/
857 2016-10-17T22:11:41  <gmaxwell> now I am mystifie.d
858 2016-10-17T22:11:45  <wumpus> just a map of {version_bit: count} histogram would work, you could leave out those that are 0
859 2016-10-17T22:12:12  <gmaxwell> alternatively letting getpeerinfo take a mask like the dnsseeds would also work.
860 2016-10-17T22:12:39  <wumpus> yes
861 2016-10-17T22:13:48  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
862 2016-10-17T22:15:46  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
863 2016-10-17T22:17:07  <GitHub131> [bitcoin] Michagogo opened pull request #8948: [TRIVIAL] reorder Windows gitian build order to match Linux (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8948
864 2016-10-17T22:17:11  <GitHub81> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/a5cef7b0777f13ac83312759ebf576c9d773599f
865 2016-10-17T22:17:12  <GitHub81> bitcoin/0.13 a5cef7b Wladimir J. van der Laan: Bump version to 0.13.1
866 2016-10-17T22:19:31  <wumpus> gmaxwell: if it reports v0.13.1rc1 it must hav gotten the tag version from git, there is no other way it can know it is an rc
867 2016-10-17T22:19:51  <wumpus> (or that it is 0.13.1 without ^)
868 2016-10-17T22:20:01  *** fengling__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
869 2016-10-17T22:20:03  <gmaxwell> yea, it must have gotten it from git.
870 2016-10-17T22:21:11  <michagogo> (Release notes are still in flux, right? I see there are references to it being 0.13.x...)
871 2016-10-17T22:21:27  <wumpus> michagogo: release notes can be updated until -final
872 2016-10-17T22:21:51  <wumpus> michagogo: (or, according to some people, even after that as 'historical release notes' in master...)
873 2016-10-17T22:22:35  <michagogo> Should I assume the .x in the header will be fixed as part of a cleanup before final tag? Or should I PR that myself?
874 2016-10-17T22:22:54  <wumpus> probably better to not assume anything and just do it yourself
875 2016-10-17T22:23:35  <wumpus> although you should check harding 's pull, he may have already changed some things
876 2016-10-17T22:25:02  <michagogo> Ah, yep
877 2016-10-17T22:25:04  <michagogo> He got it
878 2016-10-17T22:25:13  <michagogo> Good call
879 2016-10-17T22:25:23  *** cryptapus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
880 2016-10-17T22:26:33  <gmaxwell> Found another tidbit for SW deployment guide:  do not addnode= or connect= yourself to only non-witness peers...
881 2016-10-17T22:27:24  <BlueMatt> oh, yea, that'd be bad
882 2016-10-17T22:28:39  <GitHub152> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to 0.13: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a5cef7b0777f...c418c0550db3
883 2016-10-17T22:28:40  <GitHub47> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8943: Release notes: add info about segwit and null dummy soft forks (0.13...notable-change-segwit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8943
884 2016-10-17T22:28:41  <GitHub152> bitcoin/0.13 5f9c7b0 David A. Harding: Release notes: add info about segwit and null dummy soft forks...
885 2016-10-17T22:28:41  <GitHub152> bitcoin/0.13 2de93f0 David A. Harding: Relase notes: correct segwit activation point
886 2016-10-17T22:28:41  <GitHub152> bitcoin/0.13 bf86073 David A. Harding: Release notes: correct segwit signalling period start conditions...
887 2016-10-17T22:29:06  *** fengling__ has quit IRC
888 2016-10-17T22:30:12  *** cryptapus has quit IRC
889 2016-10-17T22:31:29  <wumpus> would it make sense to add a alert condition when only connected to non-witness peers?
890 2016-10-17T22:31:47  <BlueMatt> yes
891 2016-10-17T22:31:57  <BlueMatt> though this is default for most nodes until the network upgrades
892 2016-10-17T22:32:00  <BlueMatt> so that would suck :/
893 2016-10-17T22:32:30  <wumpus> I guess it should only trigger when it actually becomes a concern, e.g. segwit about to activate
894 2016-10-17T22:33:03  <wumpus> not right after installing 0.13.1
895 2016-10-17T22:33:04  <BlueMatt> yea, i mean gate it on locked-in state
896 2016-10-17T22:34:00  <wumpus> though I wonder if it'll still be a common problem at that point
897 2016-10-17T22:34:38  <wumpus> if people haven't upgraded to 0.13.1+ en masse by then there's another problem
898 2016-10-17T22:34:43  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
899 2016-10-17T22:41:13  <BlueMatt> i would not be surprised if we see increasing sybil attacks over the coming month(s)
900 2016-10-17T22:43:28  *** mol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
901 2016-10-17T22:44:31  *** MarcoFalke has left #bitcoin-core-dev
902 2016-10-17T22:46:05  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
903 2016-10-17T22:46:21  *** molz has quit IRC
904 2016-10-17T22:48:08  <gmaxwell> right now its very easy to end up in this state. I'm going to open a PR to improve it some for discussion.
905 2016-10-17T22:48:22  <gmaxwell> (just waiting for tests to run before opening it)
906 2016-10-17T22:49:16  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
907 2016-10-17T22:52:11  *** molz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
908 2016-10-17T22:53:54  <michagogo> achow101: Interesting. I have LXC set up and it seems to work for me
909 2016-10-17T22:54:05  <michagogo> In what way does it fail for you?
910 2016-10-17T22:55:38  *** mol has quit IRC
911 2016-10-17T23:03:03  *** PRab_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
912 2016-10-17T23:03:36  *** PRab has quit IRC
913 2016-10-17T23:03:36  *** PRab_ is now known as PRab
914 2016-10-17T23:04:23  *** [b__b] has quit IRC
915 2016-10-17T23:04:43  *** [b__b] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
916 2016-10-17T23:09:36  *** jtimon has quit IRC
917 2016-10-17T23:19:34  <GitHub89> [bitcoin] gmaxwell opened pull request #8949: Be more agressive in getting connections to peers with relevant services. (master...more_agressive_witness_connect) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8949
918 2016-10-17T23:21:07  *** tulip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
919 2016-10-17T23:23:41  *** belcher has quit IRC
920 2016-10-17T23:24:14  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
921 2016-10-17T23:27:24  *** belcher has quit IRC
922 2016-10-17T23:33:13  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
923 2016-10-17T23:33:18  <tulip> the v0.13.1rc1 tag doesn't have the subver updated, but the 0.13 branch does; confused me for a second.
924 2016-10-17T23:43:21  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
925 2016-10-17T23:43:22  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
926 2016-10-17T23:49:53  *** bsm117532 has quit IRC
927 2016-10-17T23:52:47  *** alpalp has quit IRC