1 2017-01-19T00:00:30  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2017-01-19T00:00:47  *** blueyez has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2017-01-19T00:03:33  *** blueyez has quit IRC
  4 2017-01-19T00:17:16  *** Guest88196 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2017-01-19T00:17:28  <Guest88196> hey guys
  6 2017-01-19T00:17:49  <Guest88196> Allah is doing
  7 2017-01-19T00:18:06  <Guest88196> sun is not doing allah is doing
  8 2017-01-19T00:18:09  <Guest88196> to accept Islam say that i bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad peace be upon him is his slave and messenger
  9 2017-01-19T00:19:16  *** sipa_ is now known as sipa
 10 2017-01-19T00:19:36  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2017-01-19T00:19:58  <sipa> Guest88196: off topic
 12 2017-01-19T00:24:39  *** Guest88196 has quit IRC
 13 2017-01-19T00:35:05  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2017-01-19T00:35:36  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2017-01-19T00:41:17  *** cheese_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2017-01-19T00:41:18  *** cheese_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2017-01-19T00:45:45  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2017-01-19T00:46:08  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2017-01-19T00:51:08  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
 20 2017-01-19T00:55:35  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2017-01-19T00:55:52  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 22 2017-01-19T00:56:11  *** aalex has quit IRC
 23 2017-01-19T01:00:15  *** abpa has quit IRC
 24 2017-01-19T01:00:27  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2017-01-19T01:00:51  *** cheese_ has quit IRC
 26 2017-01-19T01:37:29  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 27 2017-01-19T01:45:09  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
 28 2017-01-19T01:49:51  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
 29 2017-01-19T01:52:04  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2017-01-19T01:57:45  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 31 2017-01-19T02:00:26  *** wasi has quit IRC
 32 2017-01-19T02:01:10  *** wasi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2017-01-19T03:01:05  *** lightningbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2017-01-19T03:03:00  *** TD-Linux has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2017-01-19T03:07:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jtimon opened pull request #9579: Net: Trivial-review: Make SendMessages easier to review (master...0.15-split-sendmessages) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9579
 36 2017-01-19T03:15:07  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2017-01-19T03:23:46  *** GreenIsMyPepper has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2017-01-19T03:31:53  *** pigeons_ is now known as pigeons
 39 2017-01-19T04:00:51  *** randy-waterhouse has quit IRC
 40 2017-01-19T04:03:40  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 41 2017-01-19T04:11:04  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2017-01-19T04:13:53  *** Victor_sueca has quit IRC
 43 2017-01-19T04:28:01  *** Alopex has quit IRC
 44 2017-01-19T04:29:07  *** Alopex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2017-01-19T04:56:44  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2017-01-19T05:00:04  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 47 2017-01-19T05:01:14  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2017-01-19T06:03:55  *** wump is now known as wumpus
 49 2017-01-19T06:24:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] droark opened pull request #9580: Fix various minor linearization script issues (master...linearizefix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9580
 50 2017-01-19T06:42:09  *** davec has quit IRC
 51 2017-01-19T06:57:44  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2017-01-19T06:59:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9529: Bug fix: Update the instance variable self.lastDate (not the locally scoped variable lastDate) (master...fix-bug-in-BlockDataCopier) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9529
 53 2017-01-19T07:02:01  *** zxzzt has quit IRC
 54 2017-01-19T07:02:27  *** zxzzt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2017-01-19T07:02:47  *** ryanofsky has quit IRC
 56 2017-01-19T07:03:14  *** ryanofsky has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2017-01-19T07:12:19  *** aalex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2017-01-19T07:19:40  *** aalex has quit IRC
 59 2017-01-19T07:21:27  *** jeremyru1in is now known as jeremyrubin
 60 2017-01-19T07:25:40  *** chjj has quit IRC
 61 2017-01-19T08:00:49  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 62 2017-01-19T08:04:02  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2017-01-19T08:04:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 11 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/6012967c4746...9c9af5ab2d9e
 64 2017-01-19T08:04:18  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c735540 Matt Corallo: Move ORPHAN constants from validation.h to net_processing.h
 65 2017-01-19T08:04:18  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master edded80 Matt Corallo: Make ATMP optionally return the CTransactionRefs it replaced
 66 2017-01-19T08:04:19  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1531652 Matt Corallo: Keep shared_ptrs to recently-replaced txn for compact blocks
 67 2017-01-19T08:04:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9499: Use recent-rejects, orphans, and recently-replaced txn for compact-block-reconstruction (master...2016-12-recent-tx-cache-cmpct) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9499
 68 2017-01-19T08:10:51  *** paveljanik has quit IRC
 69 2017-01-19T08:28:26  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2017-01-19T08:49:19  *** echonaut has quit IRC
 71 2017-01-19T08:49:36  *** echonaut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2017-01-19T08:54:03  *** vidjogamer has quit IRC
 73 2017-01-19T09:11:11  *** juscamarena has quit IRC
 74 2017-01-19T09:14:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #9581: [pep-8] Prefer "foo not in bar" to "not foo in bar" (master...test-for-membership) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9581
 75 2017-01-19T09:17:41  *** jannes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2017-01-19T09:20:44  *** echonaut has quit IRC
 77 2017-01-19T09:21:01  *** echonaut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2017-01-19T09:22:25  *** waxwing has quit IRC
 79 2017-01-19T09:35:03  *** waxwing has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2017-01-19T09:53:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #9582: [pep-8] Prefer "foo is None" to "foo == None" (master...is-none) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9582
 81 2017-01-19T09:56:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #9582: [pep-8] Prefer "foo is None" to "foo == None" (master...is-none) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9582
 82 2017-01-19T09:56:45  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2017-01-19T10:23:22  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2017-01-19T10:24:41  *** gabby_carol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2017-01-19T10:30:37  *** gabby_carol has quit IRC
 86 2017-01-19T10:33:02  *** arubi has quit IRC
 87 2017-01-19T10:35:03  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2017-01-19T10:36:58  *** arubi has quit IRC
 89 2017-01-19T10:37:14  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2017-01-19T10:56:40  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 91 2017-01-19T11:26:28  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2017-01-19T11:47:52  *** arubi has quit IRC
 93 2017-01-19T11:48:06  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2017-01-19T12:02:37  *** cannon-c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2017-01-19T12:23:48  *** aalex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2017-01-19T12:25:49  *** cryptapus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2017-01-19T12:34:11  *** wasi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2017-01-19T12:58:12  *** aalex has quit IRC
 99 2017-01-19T13:12:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9c9af5ab2d9e...41cb05cc8f3c
100 2017-01-19T13:12:10  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fc089ae James White: Add IPv6 support to qos.sh
101 2017-01-19T13:12:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 41cb05c Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #9552: Add IPv6 support to qos.sh...
102 2017-01-19T13:12:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9552: Add IPv6 support to qos.sh (master...qos-ipv6) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9552
103 2017-01-19T13:25:44  *** windsok has quit IRC
104 2017-01-19T13:45:45  *** wvr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2017-01-19T13:52:01  *** cannon-c has quit IRC
106 2017-01-19T14:08:58  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2017-01-19T14:09:16  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
108 2017-01-19T14:16:40  *** windsok has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2017-01-19T14:21:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/41cb05cc8f3c...e9e7993007a9
110 2017-01-19T14:21:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c70622e John Newbery: Docs: Update CONTRIBUTING.md...
111 2017-01-19T14:21:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e9e7993 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #9542: Docs: Update CONTRIBUTING.md...
112 2017-01-19T14:21:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9542: Docs: Update CONTRIBUTING.md (master...CONTRIBUTINGcomponents) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9542
113 2017-01-19T14:29:11  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2017-01-19T14:29:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e9e7993007a9...054d664215ca
115 2017-01-19T14:29:33  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9f03110 Jeremy Rubin: Add Basic CheckQueue Benchmark
116 2017-01-19T14:29:33  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master aad4cb5 Jeremy Rubin: Address ryanofsky feedback on CCheckQueue benchmarks. Eliminated magic numbers, fixed scoping of vectors (and memory movement component of benchmark).
117 2017-01-19T14:29:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 054d664 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #9498: Basic CCheckQueue Benchmarks...
118 2017-01-19T14:29:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9498: Basic CCheckQueue Benchmarks (master...checkqueue_bench) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9498
119 2017-01-19T14:31:03  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
120 2017-01-19T14:36:17  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2017-01-19T14:44:52  *** aalex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2017-01-19T14:46:41  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
123 2017-01-19T15:23:34  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2017-01-19T15:25:06  *** hosiawak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2017-01-19T15:27:14  *** jnewbery1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2017-01-19T15:39:01  *** whphhg has quit IRC
127 2017-01-19T15:40:17  *** whphhg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2017-01-19T15:52:01  *** hosiawak has quit IRC
129 2017-01-19T15:59:30  *** xinxi has quit IRC
130 2017-01-19T16:01:37  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2017-01-19T16:02:06  <instagibbs> When is feature freeze happening? May have missed memo if changed.
132 2017-01-19T16:05:10  <sipa_> it was postponed to today, i believe
133 2017-01-19T16:06:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #9583: Move wallet callbacks into cs_main (this effectively reverts #7946) (master...2017-01-revert-7946) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9583
134 2017-01-19T16:12:52  <BlueMatt> sorry jonasschnelli, I think we waited too long to fix all the issues #7946 caused for 0.14
135 2017-01-19T16:12:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7946 | Reduce cs_main locks during ConnectTip/SyncWithWallets by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #7946 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
136 2017-01-19T16:14:04  <BlueMatt> in 0.15 we'll need to re-add it
137 2017-01-19T16:17:11  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2017-01-19T16:17:17  <sipa_> all we need is that the wallet has its own idea of what the best chain is, right?
139 2017-01-19T16:17:21  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
140 2017-01-19T16:17:33  <sipa_> so its responses are consistent
141 2017-01-19T16:17:50  <BlueMatt> morcos: is writing up an issue with two other concerns we just found
142 2017-01-19T16:18:10  <BlueMatt> even #9570 is a big chunk of code for 0.14
143 2017-01-19T16:18:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9570 | Block Wallet RPCs until wallet is synced to our current chain by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9570 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
144 2017-01-19T16:18:23  <BlueMatt> and it would need a few more changes
145 2017-01-19T16:18:40  <sipa_> sigh
146 2017-01-19T16:19:00  <BlueMatt> sipa_: did you look at 9570?
147 2017-01-19T16:19:03  <BlueMatt> its nontrivial
148 2017-01-19T16:19:23  *** BashCo has quit IRC
149 2017-01-19T16:19:35  <sipa_> but is it needed once the wallet has its own idea about the chaintip?
150 2017-01-19T16:19:49  <BlueMatt> 9570 gives the wallet its own idea about the chaintip
151 2017-01-19T16:19:56  <sipa_> oh
152 2017-01-19T16:19:58  <BlueMatt> though not in a very full-featured way
153 2017-01-19T16:19:59  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2017-01-19T16:20:11  <BlueMatt> but, its a bit too late to be making major changes like that for 0.14, I think
155 2017-01-19T16:20:38  <BlueMatt> i think at the start of the 0.15 release cycle we should move the wallet callbacks into a separate thread with all these fixes and let it simmer for 0.15
156 2017-01-19T16:20:50  <sipa_> ok
157 2017-01-19T16:21:06  <BlueMatt> same with multi-threaded message handler
158 2017-01-19T16:21:59  <BlueMatt> 'cause a lot of these wallet issues on master are only realistic if you call submitblock (though some are also triggerable as a result of the additional ActivateBestChains added in #9375)
159 2017-01-19T16:22:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9375 | Relay compact block messages prior to full block connection by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9375 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
160 2017-01-19T16:24:32  *** BashCo has quit IRC
161 2017-01-19T16:28:35  <morcos> sipa: #9584
162 2017-01-19T16:28:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9584 | Synchronization problems with wallet. · Issue #9584 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
163 2017-01-19T16:29:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #9570: Block Wallet RPCs until wallet is synced to our current chain (master...2017-01-fix-wallet-rpc-stale) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9570
164 2017-01-19T16:49:03  *** abpa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2017-01-19T16:49:42  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2017-01-19T17:19:09  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2017-01-19T17:19:13  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
168 2017-01-19T17:21:40  *** wvr has left #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-01-19T17:32:05  *** aalex has quit IRC
170 2017-01-19T17:36:21  *** handlex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2017-01-19T17:38:47  *** handlex has quit IRC
172 2017-01-19T17:42:40  *** waxwing has quit IRC
173 2017-01-19T17:58:42  *** sipa_ is now known as sipa
174 2017-01-19T18:00:40  *** jtimon has quit IRC
175 2017-01-19T18:17:01  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2017-01-19T18:22:12  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2017-01-19T18:23:47  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-01-19T18:35:00  <luke-jr> sipa: Can you give me a text-"verbal" okay for some license to put on BIPs 30, 32, 62, 66, and 103?
179 2017-01-19T18:35:03  <luke-jr> CodeShark: ^ for BIP 123
180 2017-01-19T18:39:38  *** aalex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2017-01-19T18:43:13  <cfields> BlueMatt/morcos: I'm staring at the locking issue too, writing up some potential fixes (throwaways) in order to understand the issue fully
182 2017-01-19T18:44:55  *** norotartagen has quit IRC
183 2017-01-19T18:48:56  <MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: #9461 is ready for merge, if you are here right now.
184 2017-01-19T18:48:58  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9461 | [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9461 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
185 2017-01-19T18:49:45  <MarcoFalke> Fixing the nit should be done for the whole src/qt tree, so you can leave it for another pull
186 2017-01-19T18:50:17  <instagibbs> reminder: meeting in 10
187 2017-01-19T18:50:31  <MarcoFalke> oh nice. Will be here today
188 2017-01-19T18:50:34  <MarcoFalke> :P
189 2017-01-19T18:50:34  *** norotartagen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2017-01-19T18:50:48  <MarcoFalke> I think #9554 is ready as well.
191 2017-01-19T18:50:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9554 | [test] Avoid potential NULL pointer dereference in addrman_tests.cpp by practicalswift · Pull Request #9554 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
192 2017-01-19T18:52:08  <MarcoFalke> I remember someone was worried about NULL pointer derefs showing up in the release notes and they cause panic, when in fact there should be no reason to panic...
193 2017-01-19T18:52:14  <MarcoFalke> Should I change the title before merge?
194 2017-01-19T18:52:34  <wumpus> yes, if you change the title preferably do it before merge
195 2017-01-19T18:53:42  <CodeShark> luke-jr: license?
196 2017-01-19T18:53:53  <luke-jr> CodeShark: yes, for the BIP text
197 2017-01-19T18:54:33  <CodeShark> public domain, not sure what you mean by license
198 2017-01-19T18:54:58  <CodeShark> Example?
199 2017-01-19T18:55:04  <luke-jr> ok, PD is acceptable since it predates BIP 2 I guess
200 2017-01-19T18:55:06  <MarcoFalke> ugh, another 0.14 blocker: #9585
201 2017-01-19T18:55:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9585 | An error has occurred and has been logged. Please contact this bot's administrator for more information.
202 2017-01-19T18:55:25  <luke-jr> CodeShark: ideally it would be one of https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0002.mediawiki#Recommended_licenses
203 2017-01-19T18:55:26  <CodeShark> Or what would you suggest otherwise?
204 2017-01-19T18:55:52  <cfields> MarcoFalke: Not a feature-freeze blocker, just a bug
205 2017-01-19T18:56:04  <CodeShark> luke-jr: ok, let me look it over and get back to you then
206 2017-01-19T18:56:09  <luke-jr> CodeShark: k thanks
207 2017-01-19T18:56:16  <BlueMatt> any last-minute review for #8456?
208 2017-01-19T18:56:19  <BlueMatt> or #9461?
209 2017-01-19T18:56:21  <BlueMatt> or #9294
210 2017-01-19T18:56:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8456 | [RPC] Simplified bumpfee command. by mrbandrews · Pull Request #8456 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
211 2017-01-19T18:56:24  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9461 | [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9461 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
212 2017-01-19T18:56:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
213 2017-01-19T18:56:27  <BlueMatt> those are the 3 for feature freeze
214 2017-01-19T18:56:44  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: well if push comes to shove we can always revert the qt version bump
215 2017-01-19T18:57:04  <MarcoFalke> Jup
216 2017-01-19T18:57:07  <luke-jr> IMO 8456 can be merged
217 2017-01-19T18:57:33  <luke-jr> 9294 is prob good too, maybe btcdrak wants to re-ACK
218 2017-01-19T18:59:48  <sdaftuar_> cfields: when you have a chance, please see #9586
219 2017-01-19T18:59:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #8456: [RPC] Simplified bumpfee command. (master...ba-rpcbumpfee) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8456
220 2017-01-19T18:59:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9586 | bip68-sequence.py failing on master after recent net changes, due to mocktime interaction · Issue #9586 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
221 2017-01-19T19:00:00  *** sdaftuar_ is now known as sdaftuar
222 2017-01-19T19:00:02  <sipa> PLOINK
223 2017-01-19T19:00:04  <jonasschnelli> \o/
224 2017-01-19T19:00:07  <BlueMatt> mtg time
225 2017-01-19T19:00:10  <wumpus> #startmeeting
226 2017-01-19T19:00:10  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jan 19 19:00:10 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
227 2017-01-19T19:00:10  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
228 2017-01-19T19:00:14  <Chris_Stewart_5> ello
229 2017-01-19T19:00:23  <MarcoFalke> cfields: If you need the gitian log for the failing build: https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/nightlybuilds/2017-01-19/build-win.log
230 2017-01-19T19:00:44  <cfields> MarcoFalke: ah, didn't realize gitian was actually failing. Thanks.
231 2017-01-19T19:00:47  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 instagibbs
232 2017-01-19T19:00:54  <morcos> here
233 2017-01-19T19:00:58  <CodeShark> Hi
234 2017-01-19T19:01:11  <instagibbs> prezent
235 2017-01-19T19:01:19  <MarcoFalke> topics?
236 2017-01-19T19:01:20  <jtimon> here
237 2017-01-19T19:01:27  <morcos> suggested topic #9583 and #9584
238 2017-01-19T19:01:28  <wumpus> topic: last-minute merges before feature freeze
239 2017-01-19T19:01:29  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9583 | Move wallet callbacks into cs_main (this effectively reverts #7946) by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9583 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
240 2017-01-19T19:01:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9584 | Synchronization problems with wallet. · Issue #9584 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
241 2017-01-19T19:01:35  <instagibbs> Last stuff to shove in before freeze naturally...
242 2017-01-19T19:01:38  <kanzure> hi.
243 2017-01-19T19:01:57  <jonasschnelli> I guess https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 is ready...
244 2017-01-19T19:02:02  * btcdrak is half here
245 2017-01-19T19:02:13  <gmaxwell> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier
246 2017-01-19T19:02:19  <sipa> any 0.14 milestoned PRs that we don't expect are reasonable to make it?
247 2017-01-19T19:02:27  <jtimon> suggested topic, what's missing to branch 0.14
248 2017-01-19T19:02:28  <BlueMatt> #9535 got thourough review from jtimon (and others) and is a big win
249 2017-01-19T19:02:28  <wumpus> do we all agree 9294 is ready?
250 2017-01-19T19:02:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9535 | Split CNode::cs_vSend: message processing and message sending by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9535 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
251 2017-01-19T19:02:39  <instagibbs> any multiwallet stuff isn't going to make it I assume
252 2017-01-19T19:02:46  <BlueMatt> i like 9294, but i think it needs another review
253 2017-01-19T19:02:53  <wumpus> multiwallet was already untagged
254 2017-01-19T19:02:54  <BlueMatt> I'm ok with merge as long as one or two folks give it a postumous ack
255 2017-01-19T19:03:05  <sipa> i have not reviewed 9294, sorry
256 2017-01-19T19:03:12  <gmaxwell> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/21
257 2017-01-19T19:03:14  <sipa> (but i plan to, whether it's merged or not)
258 2017-01-19T19:03:36  <jonasschnelli> we can always fix issues after the freeze
259 2017-01-19T19:03:40  <instagibbs> I could give it an updated review, but not sure if that's enough
260 2017-01-19T19:03:43  <luke-jr> there's a pre-MW PR that's probably ready, but not a prioirty
261 2017-01-19T19:04:02  <sipa> pre-mimblewimble?
262 2017-01-19T19:04:06  <jonasschnelli> heh
263 2017-01-19T19:04:08  <gmaxwell> I think #9526 should be dropped from that. (perhaps we should do something later, but it shouldn't be tagged #14)
264 2017-01-19T19:04:08  <luke-jr> multiwallet ;)
265 2017-01-19T19:04:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9526 | -blocksonly should disable sharing of mempool with dbcache · Issue #9526 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
266 2017-01-19T19:04:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14 | bitcoin: URI and/or bitcoin-request MIME type for click-to-pay · Issue #14 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
267 2017-01-19T19:04:36  <btcdrak> issue #14 ?
268 2017-01-19T19:04:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14 | bitcoin: URI and/or bitcoin-request MIME type for click-to-pay · Issue #14 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
269 2017-01-19T19:04:41  <BlueMatt> I'd consider 9526 is a bugfix, but i guess i dont care strongly either way
270 2017-01-19T19:04:47  <luke-jr> #8775 specifically
271 2017-01-19T19:04:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8775 | RPC refactoring: Access wallet using new GetWalletForJSONRPCRequest by luke-jr · Pull Request #8775 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
272 2017-01-19T19:04:50  <sipa> i think 9526 is a bugfix
273 2017-01-19T19:04:59  <luke-jr> but it seems it conflicted again, so I guess less than ready anyway :x
274 2017-01-19T19:05:51  <BlueMatt> ok, so to conclude, #9461 and #9294 - 9461 i think is ready-ish (one more look-over, please, its easy?), and 9294 I think we should merge with a few commitments to postumous reviews
275 2017-01-19T19:05:53  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9461 | [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9461 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
276 2017-01-19T19:05:56  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
277 2017-01-19T19:06:37  <jtimon> I generally dislike that we fork the branch knowing that some fix will be needed in both branches in advance
278 2017-01-19T19:06:40  <BlueMatt> 9377 we agreed previously was bugfix, and 9526, if we merge it for 14, i'd call a bugfix
279 2017-01-19T19:07:04  <MarcoFalke> jtimon: There won't be a branch today
280 2017-01-19T19:07:09  <BlueMatt> jtimon: no, we branch in 2 weeks
281 2017-01-19T19:07:19  <MarcoFalke> We still have next week to fix bugs
282 2017-01-19T19:07:19  *** davec has quit IRC
283 2017-01-19T19:07:22  <jtimon> the whole "we can merge it after fork, because it's a bugfix" concept
284 2017-01-19T19:07:37  <sipa> the fork is only in 2 weeks
285 2017-01-19T19:07:37  <wumpus> who is talking about a fork?
286 2017-01-19T19:07:45  <sipa> bugfixes can go in in between
287 2017-01-19T19:07:53  <wumpus> bugfixes can be merged, by definition, after the feature freeze
288 2017-01-19T19:07:57  <jtimon> oh, I see, just mean 0.14 git fork, ie just branching
289 2017-01-19T19:07:59  <wumpus> because it's a feature freeze nto a bug fix freeze
290 2017-01-19T19:08:12  <jonasschnelli> Yes. And technically 9294 is kind-of-a-fix for the missed HD chain split in 0.13. And there are no things to fix... only stuff to improve
291 2017-01-19T19:08:24  <sipa> jtimon: today (or whenever we decide) is the feature freeze. the actual 0.14 branch is only created in 2 weeks
292 2017-01-19T19:08:29  <BlueMatt> 9294 has string changes, so must be today or not at all
293 2017-01-19T19:08:34  <wumpus> the branch is created at rc1 time
294 2017-01-19T19:08:54  <jtimon> sipa: thanks I mixed feature freeze with branching
295 2017-01-19T19:08:56  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: Yes. I'm happy to merge it without the Consensus::Params::nPowTargetTimespan change
296 2017-01-19T19:08:56  <wumpus> (so that releases happen from a branch, not from master)
297 2017-01-19T19:09:06  <jonasschnelli> If no objections...
298 2017-01-19T19:09:12  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: open a new pr for that change, and then merge it, I'd say
299 2017-01-19T19:09:25  <MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: Agree
300 2017-01-19T19:09:25  <BlueMatt> (merge the one without the Consensus::Params thing, then open a pr to change it)
301 2017-01-19T19:09:29  <jonasschnelli> Okay.
302 2017-01-19T19:09:34  <jtimon> so ideally all the bugfixes we know will be merged before branching, forget about my previous comment then
303 2017-01-19T19:09:50  <morcos> I apologize for not reviewing 9294, but i feel like i never got up to speed enough with the code in question.  I do thik that although it's not critical and isn't already tagged 0.14, #9535 could be merged now and i know cfields wants it too
304 2017-01-19T19:09:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9535 | Split CNode::cs_vSend: message processing and message sending by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9535 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
305 2017-01-19T19:10:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2ef52d3cf11b...b25068697fdb
306 2017-01-19T19:10:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 40ec7c7 Jonas Schnelli: [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding
307 2017-01-19T19:10:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b250686 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #9461: [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding...
308 2017-01-19T19:10:17  <wumpus> all the bugfixes we know and can realistically make the release (or are critical enough to delay it) should be merged before rc1, yes, thus before the branch
309 2017-01-19T19:10:18  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: multiwallet pains me. because darn, such a simple set of changes remaining.  we need to get out of this mode where all the intensity is in the week before feature freeze. :P  (maybe new major version every month. :P )
310 2017-01-19T19:10:20  <sipa> i think 9525 is pretty trivial
311 2017-01-19T19:10:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli closed pull request #9461: [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding (master...2017/01/qt_sync) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9461
312 2017-01-19T19:10:35  <sipa> eh, 9535
313 2017-01-19T19:11:22  <wumpus> all the intensity isn't in the week before feature freeze, we've merged tons of stuff in the last months
314 2017-01-19T19:11:29  <morcos> it's got enough ack's are there any objections to 9535 sipa?
315 2017-01-19T19:11:33  <luke-jr> it's okay
316 2017-01-19T19:11:47  <BlueMatt> sipa: ok, so press the button? I'd call jtimon's review pretty thourough (even ignoring all the lock testing I plan on doing in the next 2 weeks)
317 2017-01-19T19:11:53  <wumpus> and some things won't make a release, that's okay
318 2017-01-19T19:12:45  <jtimon> BlueMatt: I wouldn't call it complete, but I noted the parts I did not do
319 2017-01-19T19:12:46  <wumpus> priority for 0.14 is solving the nasty remaining issues, like the wallet sync problems
320 2017-01-19T19:12:46  <BlueMatt> ok, so we need to figure out what to do about #9294, does anyone have any objections to merging so that we can freeze and getting postumous acks?
321 2017-01-19T19:12:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
322 2017-01-19T19:12:56  <morcos> assuming someone is about to press merge on 9535, the only open question is do we hold off the feature freeze for 9294  (what he said)
323 2017-01-19T19:13:05  <BlueMatt> wumpus: next topic...lets finalize list of things for freeze today first :p
324 2017-01-19T19:13:41  <wumpus> BlueMatt: I agree with the two you mentioned
325 2017-01-19T19:14:01  <cfields> i'm afraid i'm unable to provide meaningful review on 9294. I had a few nits that weren't worth pointing out, but nothing else
326 2017-01-19T19:14:02  <wumpus>  #9461 and #9294
327 2017-01-19T19:14:04  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9461 | [Qt] Improve progress display during headers-sync and peer-finding by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9461 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
328 2017-01-19T19:14:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
329 2017-01-19T19:14:22  <sipa> what about #9519 and #9377. are those bugfixes?
330 2017-01-19T19:14:24  <jonasschnelli> 9461 is merged
331 2017-01-19T19:14:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9519 | Exclude RBF replacement txs from fee estimation by morcos · Pull Request #9519 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
332 2017-01-19T19:14:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9377 | fundrawtransaction: Keep change-output keys by default, make it optional by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9377 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
333 2017-01-19T19:14:35  <BlueMatt> sipa: yes, bugfixes with no translation string changes
334 2017-01-19T19:14:47  <sipa> ok
335 2017-01-19T19:14:48  <morcos> 9519 is a bugfix and it's extremely simple
336 2017-01-19T19:14:50  <BlueMatt> (if we decide to merge them, I'm confident in calling both bugfixes)
337 2017-01-19T19:14:55  * jonasschnelli going to rebase 9377
338 2017-01-19T19:15:18  <jtimon> cfields: same for me, I just did concept aCK for #9294
339 2017-01-19T19:15:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
340 2017-01-19T19:15:34  <instagibbs> If it helps hd split get in, I promise a tACK after the fact
341 2017-01-19T19:16:07  <cfields> sipa: do you plan on needing to change any behavior or meaning of any options for #9526?
342 2017-01-19T19:16:08  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9526 | -blocksonly should disable sharing of mempool with dbcache · Issue #9526 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
343 2017-01-19T19:16:17  <wumpus> ok that leaves #9294 then, let's all review that
344 2017-01-19T19:16:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
345 2017-01-19T19:16:28  <BlueMatt> ok, so acks on the following for today: hd split (9294), net lock split (9535)
346 2017-01-19T19:16:29  <wumpus> #action review #9294 asap so it can still make the cut
347 2017-01-19T19:16:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9294 | Use internal HD chain for change outputs (hd split) by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9294 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
348 2017-01-19T19:16:44  <BlueMatt> then we can move on to next topic
349 2017-01-19T19:17:29  <jonasschnelli> Should we touch/chat about the wallet sync issue? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9583
350 2017-01-19T19:17:32  <BlueMatt> ok, next topic: wallet inconsistency (revert #7946 for 0.14 is pr 9583), see issue #9584 and #9148
351 2017-01-19T19:17:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7946 | Reduce cs_main locks during ConnectTip/SyncWithWallets by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #7946 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
352 2017-01-19T19:17:34  <BlueMatt> ?
353 2017-01-19T19:17:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9584 | Synchronization problems with wallet. · Issue #9584 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
354 2017-01-19T19:17:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9148 | Wallet RPCs can return stale info due to ProcessNewBlock Race · Issue #9148 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
355 2017-01-19T19:17:44  <wumpus> #topic #9583 and #9584 (morcos)
356 2017-01-19T19:17:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9583 | Move wallet callbacks into cs_main (this effectively reverts #7946) by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9583 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
357 2017-01-19T19:17:47  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9584 | Synchronization problems with wallet. · Issue #9584 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
358 2017-01-19T19:18:11  <morcos> gmaxwell: please make sure you see this so you don't complain later that you didn't realize we were sticking everything back into cs_main again
359 2017-01-19T19:18:12  <jonasschnelli> I apologise for 7946,... I wasn't aware that this could cause sync issues
360 2017-01-19T19:18:26  <wumpus> I tagged 9535 for 0.14 (I uess that's the intent?)
361 2017-01-19T19:18:39  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: ehh, nbd, thats why it was early in a release cycle...sadly no one fixed it before now :(
362 2017-01-19T19:18:47  <morcos> wumpus: yes or just merge. i think its ready, but not sure why it hasn't been
363 2017-01-19T19:18:48  <BlueMatt> turns out there is complicated machinery to fix it, eg #9570
364 2017-01-19T19:18:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9570 | Block Wallet RPCs until wallet is synced to our current chain by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9570 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
365 2017-01-19T19:18:50  <BlueMatt> but like x2
366 2017-01-19T19:19:10  <BlueMatt> I'm working on a version of it, but I really dont like that much change this late in cycle
367 2017-01-19T19:19:25  <BlueMatt> so hopefully we can get the changes in super early in 0.15, and get lots of eyes on it through that cylc
368 2017-01-19T19:19:26  <BlueMatt> e
369 2017-01-19T19:19:31  <BlueMatt> ^ this is my recommendation
370 2017-01-19T19:19:39  <wumpus> morcos: well it's not tagged for 0.14, so it has been hidden for me as that's what I've been focusing on
371 2017-01-19T19:19:40  <BlueMatt> which is merge 9583
372 2017-01-19T19:20:06  <BlueMatt> wumpus: the issue to track this (9148) has been tagged for 14 all along
373 2017-01-19T19:20:11  <CodeShark> What's the target date for 0.15?
374 2017-01-19T19:20:11  <cfields> BlueMatt: which is your recommendation? 9538?
375 2017-01-19T19:20:15  <BlueMatt> cfields: yes
376 2017-01-19T19:20:25  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b25068697fdb...82274c02ed2d
377 2017-01-19T19:20:25  <cfields> heh, laggy.
378 2017-01-19T19:20:26  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d7c58ad Matt Corallo: Split CNode::cs_vSend: message processing and message sending...
379 2017-01-19T19:20:26  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 376b3c2 Matt Corallo: Make the cs_sendProcessing a LOCK instead of a TRY_LOCK...
380 2017-01-19T19:20:27  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 82274c0 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #9535: Split CNode::cs_vSend: message processing and message sending...
381 2017-01-19T19:20:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #9535: Split CNode::cs_vSend: message processing and message sending (master...2017-01-cs-vsend-split) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9535
382 2017-01-19T19:21:05  <morcos> Can anyone think of any downside for merging 9583?  Is there any chance we made further changes later that somehow were depending on the fact that we weren't holding cs_main through the wallet updates any more?
383 2017-01-19T19:21:07  <cfields> BlueMatt: sadly, I think I agree. I've been down the rabbit hole today trying to come up with something simple, and it gets more complicated (and I become less comfortable) quickly.
384 2017-01-19T19:21:22  <wumpus> CodeShark: see https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8719
385 2017-01-19T19:21:33  <morcos> I can't think of anything htat could make sense, but really thats the only downside I could imagine... Otherwise its just not making an improvement that would have been nice to make..
386 2017-01-19T19:22:00  <CodeShark> wumpus: thx
387 2017-01-19T19:22:01  <jonasschnelli> morcos: Yes. Downside is slighly slower sync/rescan
388 2017-01-19T19:22:02  <BlueMatt> (and I do not believe it is (yet) a major performance regression because this is pretty much all called from the single ProcessMessages thread)
389 2017-01-19T19:22:10  <gmaxwell> I don't think any design depended on not holding it, varrious testing might have.
390 2017-01-19T19:22:19  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: I don't see how it could result in a slower sync, it's all in one thread.
391 2017-01-19T19:22:41  <gmaxwell> (and the networking thread doesn't itself grab cs_main)
392 2017-01-19T19:23:09  <cfields> morcos: isn't there still one site where it gets called without cs_main though?
393 2017-01-19T19:23:12  <jonasschnelli> Hmm.. I guess I'm wrong. #7946 didn't and it was acctually a stepping stone for stuff that's not PRed.
394 2017-01-19T19:23:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7946 | Reduce cs_main locks during ConnectTip/SyncWithWallets by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #7946 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
395 2017-01-19T19:23:16  <BlueMatt> my intention for 0.15 is to move these callbacks into a background thread asap
396 2017-01-19T19:24:34  <BlueMatt> cfields: that will not be true after the revert, i think
397 2017-01-19T19:24:40  <morcos> cfields: Do you mean after the reversion in 9583?  I don't think so?
398 2017-01-19T19:25:10  <cfields> ok, maybe i traced it wrong. Will do again.
399 2017-01-19T19:25:14  <BlueMatt> ok, if no one has any conceptual objections to 9583, then I dont think there is much to discuss on it now, just note that thoruough review is needed
400 2017-01-19T19:25:49  <wumpus> any other proposed topics?
401 2017-01-19T19:25:56  <sipa> sad, but i accept that 9583 is probably the only viable solution for 0.14
402 2017-01-19T19:26:25  <BlueMatt> indeed
403 2017-01-19T19:26:35  <BlueMatt> one step forward, one step back, but at least we learned something
404 2017-01-19T19:26:39  <BlueMatt> 2 steps forward for 0.15 :)
405 2017-01-19T19:26:43  <luke-jr> ☺
406 2017-01-19T19:27:07  <jonasschnelli> We could wrap it in #ifdef WALLET_ENABLED... *duck*
407 2017-01-19T19:27:26  <BlueMatt> its used in net_processing
408 2017-01-19T19:27:56  <jonasschnelli> I meant the cs_main lock for SyncTransaction, but just kidding.
409 2017-01-19T19:29:52  <wumpus> any other proposed topics?
410 2017-01-19T19:30:06  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: are we still doing #9501 for 0.14?
411 2017-01-19T19:30:08  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9501 | Final Alert for 0.14 · Issue #9501 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
412 2017-01-19T19:30:28  <gmaxwell> AFAIK we are. When should we be sending it to the network?
413 2017-01-19T19:30:39  <sipa> i think this is a good a time as any
414 2017-01-19T19:30:39  <petertodd> gmaxwell: +1
415 2017-01-19T19:30:47  <sipa> *as
416 2017-01-19T19:30:52  <gmaxwell> We can't PR the message send until we're ready for the message to hit the network.
417 2017-01-19T19:31:02  <wumpus> #topic  Final Alert for 0.14
418 2017-01-19T19:31:07  <gmaxwell> Okay I can do that today, I don't think we need any delays or announcements given the prior alert.
419 2017-01-19T19:31:10  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: we could PR it without the signature
420 2017-01-19T19:31:14  <petertodd> gmaxwell: ACK
421 2017-01-19T19:31:19  <wumpus> let's just do it
422 2017-01-19T19:31:23  <luke-jr> fine with me
423 2017-01-19T19:31:28  <achow101> ACK
424 2017-01-19T19:31:32  <petertodd> wumpus: <insert meme here>
425 2017-01-19T19:32:26  <gmaxwell> K. well at least we don't have to discuss text for it.
426 2017-01-19T19:33:01  <achow101> I can pr an update to the bitcoin.org post
427 2017-01-19T19:33:01  <wumpus> hehe
428 2017-01-19T19:33:16  <BlueMatt> 9108 needs an 0.14 tag, i believe
429 2017-01-19T19:33:29  *** jdjehjssidi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
430 2017-01-19T19:33:45  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: not necessarily
431 2017-01-19T19:33:49  <BlueMatt> i vote 9392 gets a non-0.14 tag
432 2017-01-19T19:33:53  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: it fixes an 0.14-tagged issue
433 2017-01-19T19:34:02  <BlueMatt> so either that or 9034 loses its tag
434 2017-01-19T19:34:07  <jonasschnelli> WatchOnly where always with birthday 0
435 2017-01-19T19:34:13  <sipa> https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder963/500x/74859963.jpg
436 2017-01-19T19:34:15  <jonasschnelli> indeed
437 2017-01-19T19:34:29  <gmaxwell> There are a number of importmulti serious bugfixes I have queued which I was waiting until after the freeze to finish.
438 2017-01-19T19:35:01  <jonasschnelli> ack on untag #9034 for 0.14?
439 2017-01-19T19:35:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9034 | importmulti does not respect the given timestamp · Issue #9034 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
440 2017-01-19T19:35:28  <wumpus> BlueMatt: tagged
441 2017-01-19T19:35:31  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: I assume that is related to #9491?
442 2017-01-19T19:35:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9491 | Importmulti api is confusing in a way that could lead to funds loss. · Issue #9491 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
443 2017-01-19T19:35:54  <morcos> wait i'm confused...  gmaxwell you don't want those merged before 0.14 or you do?
444 2017-01-19T19:36:55  <jonasschnelli> I guess he don't..
445 2017-01-19T19:36:57  <morcos> nm, BlueMatt confused me...   importmulti fixes should be in 0.14, i think we all agree
446 2017-01-19T19:37:14  <sipa> yes
447 2017-01-19T19:37:27  <jonasschnelli> Ah.. okay. I read it wrong.
448 2017-01-19T19:37:30  <luke-jr> the impression I got is that gmaxwell just has more work to do on them, and was prioritising stuff before it
449 2017-01-19T19:37:38  <sipa> agree
450 2017-01-19T19:37:54  <BlueMatt> I'm ok with untagging #9027 for 14 - it was pointed out that we can do a simple fix to address the issue mentioned there, but there are other issues so its nontrivial to *really* fix
451 2017-01-19T19:37:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9027 | Unbounded reorg memory usage · Issue #9027 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
452 2017-01-19T19:39:42  <morcos> so in the category of fixes
453 2017-01-19T19:40:21  *** To7 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
454 2017-01-19T19:40:23  <morcos> wumpus and sipa when you get a chance, take a look at #9371...   i think thats the direction you wanted me to go... and if we do 9583.. its pretty clearly no change in behavior from what txConflicted would have done..
455 2017-01-19T19:40:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9371 | Notify on removal by morcos · Pull Request #9371 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
456 2017-01-19T19:41:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] paveljanik opened pull request #9587: Do not shadow local variable named `tx`. (master...20170119_Wshadow_net_processing) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9587
457 2017-01-19T19:42:23  <wumpus> morcos: will do
458 2017-01-19T19:43:45  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
459 2017-01-19T19:44:03  *** jdjehjssidi has quit IRC
460 2017-01-19T19:45:30  <wumpus> ok, any other topics?
461 2017-01-19T19:45:39  <sipa> i propose lunch
462 2017-01-19T19:45:39  <BlueMatt> I'm done (finally) :p
463 2017-01-19T19:45:48  <BlueMatt> sipa: too late, already did that
464 2017-01-19T19:46:01  <wumpus> let's end early then
465 2017-01-19T19:46:06  <wumpus> #endmeeting
466 2017-01-19T19:46:06  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jan 19 19:46:06 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
467 2017-01-19T19:46:06  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-01-19-19.00.html
468 2017-01-19T19:46:06  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-01-19-19.00.txt
469 2017-01-19T19:46:06  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-01-19-19.00.log.html
470 2017-01-19T19:46:37  <luke-jr> sipa: if you get a minute, can you give me at least a text-"verbal" ACK for some copyright license to put on BIPs 30, 32, 62, 66, and 103 please? is BSD-2-Clause okay?
471 2017-01-19T19:46:49  <jonasschnelli> Anyone has an idea how to deal with https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9294#pullrequestreview-17535025?
472 2017-01-19T19:47:01  <sipa> luke-jr: ACK on 2-clause BSD for 30,32,62,66,103
473 2017-01-19T19:47:10  <luke-jr> sipa: thanks
474 2017-01-19T19:47:13  <sipa> (and for any other BIPs I contributed to)
475 2017-01-19T19:47:14  <jonasschnelli> We did the same for 0.13 HD, but I actually think its a good finding by gmaxwell
476 2017-01-19T19:47:45  <sipa> yeah, there is a race there
477 2017-01-19T19:48:00  <sipa> that's always the case when a feature needs to be tied to a version number
478 2017-01-19T19:48:18  <morcos> i don't see any problem leaving FEATURE_HD_SPLIT = 139900
479 2017-01-19T19:48:21  <jonasschnelli> sipa: keeping in 139999 looks bad but is efficient?
480 2017-01-19T19:48:24  <morcos> that seems the correct way to do it
481 2017-01-19T19:48:41  <jonasschnelli> Agree with morcos
482 2017-01-19T19:48:54  <sipa> a better way would be to disentangle the wallet version number for the software version number
483 2017-01-19T19:49:09  <sipa> so the wallet version can just be bumped in the same PR as the feature is introduced
484 2017-01-19T19:49:11  <jonasschnelli> Yes.
485 2017-01-19T19:49:23  <morcos> ok.. but then you end up with a lot of version
486 2017-01-19T19:49:26  <jonasschnelli> Together with a switch-away from BDB. :)
487 2017-01-19T19:49:32  <morcos> i had this exact same issue with fee estimation
488 2017-01-19T19:49:46  <morcos> for the data files it got merged with 139900
489 2017-01-19T19:50:55  <morcos> but yeah if you ever wanted to backport something, it would be important to have different version for different feature types
490 2017-01-19T19:51:21  <sipa> for the wallet we could just introduce a serialized set of strings
491 2017-01-19T19:51:29  <sipa> one for each compatibility-breaking features
492 2017-01-19T19:51:38  <BlueMatt> just set it to 14XXX and if it doesnt get merged set it to 15XXX prior to merge
493 2017-01-19T19:51:47  <BlueMatt> i dont see whats wrong with a wallet saying 14 prior to 14
494 2017-01-19T19:51:53  <jonasschnelli> I guess I once did that (what sipa said)
495 2017-01-19T19:52:01  <jonasschnelli> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8369
496 2017-01-19T19:52:04  <jonasschnelli> #8369
497 2017-01-19T19:52:06  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8369 | [FOR LATER USE][WIP][Wallet] add support for a flexible "set of features" by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #8369 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
498 2017-01-19T19:52:16  <BlueMatt> ok, nvm, Ive been told I'm wrong
499 2017-01-19T19:52:17  *** windsok has quit IRC
500 2017-01-19T19:52:18  <BlueMatt> anyway, doesnt matter
501 2017-01-19T19:52:22  <BlueMatt> pick a number out of a hat, I say
502 2017-01-19T19:52:28  <BlueMatt> (and dont change it)
503 2017-01-19T19:52:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #9588: qt: Use nPowTargetSpacing constant (master...Mf1701-qtParams) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9588
504 2017-01-19T19:53:14  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
505 2017-01-19T19:54:52  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
506 2017-01-19T19:58:59  *** davec has quit IRC
507 2017-01-19T20:00:37  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2017-01-19T20:05:07  *** cryptapus has quit IRC
509 2017-01-19T20:09:16  *** MarcoFalke has left #bitcoin-core-dev
510 2017-01-19T20:11:46  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
511 2017-01-19T20:19:40  *** Netmage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
512 2017-01-19T20:22:53  *** windsok has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
513 2017-01-19T20:26:50  <sdaftuar> sipa: i've been thinking about PrecomputedTransactionData (prompted by jl2012's pr, #9572, where he proposed skipping the calculation for non-segwit tx's)
514 2017-01-19T20:26:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9572 | Skip witness sighash cache for non-segwit transactions by jl2012 · Pull Request #9572 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
515 2017-01-19T20:28:08  <sdaftuar> now that we avoid copying CTransaction's around, by deserializing directly to a shared pointer, which in turn gets stored in the mempool and typically reconstructed into a block via compact block relay, that we could calculate these PrecomputedTransactionData's just once
516 2017-01-19T20:28:21  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
517 2017-01-19T20:28:22  <sdaftuar> and store them somewhere, and avoid recalculation in ConnectBlock
518 2017-01-19T20:28:37  <sdaftuar> my first thought was to just store them in CTransaction itself
519 2017-01-19T20:29:13  <sdaftuar> which is not so hard to code up, but i don't know that the overhead is worth it in every situation, for instance reading a block off disk to deliver to a peer
520 2017-01-19T20:29:20  <sdaftuar> or reading a tx off the network that we end up discarding
521 2017-01-19T20:32:15  <sdaftuar> sipa: anyway i'd be curious to know whether you think this is worth pursuing, and if so what route you'd suggest i try.  for instance, i could try adding extra information to CTransaction that may be changed after it's deserialized, but that would undo all the effort you just went through to make it never change after deserialization!
522 2017-01-19T20:32:57  *** Netmage has quit IRC
523 2017-01-19T20:33:03  <gmaxwell> We should generally figure out how to cut out needless computation in reading blocks from disk generally... like we shouldn't be computing hashroots just to reply to a getdata.
524 2017-01-19T20:33:08  <gmaxwell> (or in wallet rescan)
525 2017-01-19T20:33:13  *** Netmage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
526 2017-01-19T20:33:53  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: yeah that occurred to me as well.  i think there are other situations too, though -- such as someone sends you a giant block off the network that you end up not processing (say because it's low work)
527 2017-01-19T20:34:11  <sdaftuar> we deserialize each transaction and calculate its hash before deciding to ignore it
528 2017-01-19T20:34:17  <sdaftuar> and my proposed code would have quadrupled the hashing...
529 2017-01-19T20:35:50  <gmaxwell> I do like the ideal of stapling that stuff to the transaction.
530 2017-01-19T20:37:20  <sdaftuar> any suggestions on the best way to do it?  i've been brainstorming with ryanofsky and bluematt, some of the options that have been proposed include: keeping CTransaction as it is, but adding a new container CHashedTransaction that contains it and adds extra data, and storing that in the mempool
531 2017-01-19T20:37:44  <sdaftuar> or, adding mutable data to the CTransaction, and possibly also some kind of synchronization primitives so that it can be updated after the fact (? ew)
532 2017-01-19T20:44:37  <gmaxwell> I was thinking the container thing/
533 2017-01-19T20:44:40  * gmaxwell lunch &
534 2017-01-19T20:45:12  <ryanofsky> sdaftuar, for the mutable data approach, you could use c++11 call_once (http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread/call_once) to implement it without having to use low-level synchronization primitives directly
535 2017-01-19T20:50:23  *** handlex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
536 2017-01-19T20:52:29  *** arubi has quit IRC
537 2017-01-19T20:52:44  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
538 2017-01-19T20:56:11  *** arubi has quit IRC
539 2017-01-19T20:56:11  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2017-01-19T20:57:04  *** Netmage has quit IRC
541 2017-01-19T21:04:30  *** waxwing has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
542 2017-01-19T21:05:01  * luke-jr glares at Travis for being so slow
543 2017-01-19T21:22:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] morcos opened pull request #9589: Use incrementalRelayFee for BIP 125 (RBF) replacement logic (master...incrementalFee) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9589
544 2017-01-19T21:26:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #9590: Improve readability by removing redundant casts to same type (master...remove-redundant-casts) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9590
545 2017-01-19T21:47:59  <achow101> gmaxwell: when is the alert going out?
546 2017-01-19T22:00:05  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
547 2017-01-19T22:33:54  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
548 2017-01-19T22:34:24  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2017-01-19T22:38:53  *** chjj has quit IRC
550 2017-01-19T22:40:10  *** aalex has quit IRC
551 2017-01-19T22:47:50  *** waxwing has quit IRC
552 2017-01-19T22:48:38  *** Greybits has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2017-01-19T22:52:13  *** handlex has quit IRC
554 2017-01-19T22:58:58  *** Greybits has quit IRC
555 2017-01-19T23:07:21  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
556 2017-01-19T23:28:54  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
557 2017-01-19T23:33:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #9591: [WIP] count mempool and extra pool matches correctly in PartiallyDownloadedBlock::InitData() (master...compactmatches) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9591
558 2017-01-19T23:44:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ryanofsky opened pull request #9592: [Qt] Add checkbox in the GUI to opt-in to RBF when creating a transaction (master...pr/grbf) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9592
559 2017-01-19T23:53:49  *** handlex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2017-01-19T23:56:30  *** chjj has quit IRC