1 2017-02-09T00:08:47  *** chjj has quit IRC
  2 2017-02-09T00:22:27  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2017-02-09T00:30:06  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
  4 2017-02-09T00:30:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2017-02-09T00:30:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2017-02-09T00:40:38  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
  7 2017-02-09T00:46:20  *** goregrind has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2017-02-09T00:49:25  *** goregrin1 has quit IRC
  9 2017-02-09T00:54:17  *** paracyst_ is now known as paracyst
 10 2017-02-09T01:00:19  *** abpa has quit IRC
 11 2017-02-09T01:05:01  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 12 2017-02-09T01:06:39  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2017-02-09T01:31:03  <gmaxwell> I really wish there were an offline and tui github interface.
 14 2017-02-09T01:31:56  <gmaxwell> jnewbery: Did you intend to thumbs down 9715 without a comment?
 15 2017-02-09T01:32:59  <gmaxwell> (I only ask because maybe a comment got lost or you clicked the wrong button.)
 16 2017-02-09T02:03:58  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 17 2017-02-09T02:08:30  *** ill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2017-02-09T02:21:06  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2017-02-09T02:28:50  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 20 2017-02-09T02:58:50  *** instagibbs has quit IRC
 21 2017-02-09T02:58:51  *** amiller has quit IRC
 22 2017-02-09T02:59:24  *** thestringpuller has quit IRC
 23 2017-02-09T02:59:41  *** thestringpuller has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2017-02-09T03:00:04  *** thestringpuller is now known as Guest38580
 25 2017-02-09T03:00:05  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 26 2017-02-09T03:00:47  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2017-02-09T03:05:03  *** amiller has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2017-02-09T03:05:13  *** instagibbs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2017-02-09T03:05:27  *** amiller is now known as Guest94103
 30 2017-02-09T03:17:09  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2017-02-09T03:19:14  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 32 2017-02-09T03:24:50  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2017-02-09T03:24:53  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 34 2017-02-09T03:28:34  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 35 2017-02-09T03:36:25  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
 36 2017-02-09T03:39:28  *** PRab has quit IRC
 37 2017-02-09T04:08:47  *** PRab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2017-02-09T04:13:10  *** echonaut has quit IRC
 39 2017-02-09T04:13:33  *** echonaut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2017-02-09T04:20:28  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 41 2017-02-09T04:43:24  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2017-02-09T04:59:17  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 43 2017-02-09T05:17:44  *** roidster has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2017-02-09T05:17:46  *** roidster is now known as Guest32790
 45 2017-02-09T05:27:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2017-02-09T05:47:16  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 47 2017-02-09T05:49:10  *** Guest32790 has quit IRC
 48 2017-02-09T05:56:18  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2017-02-09T06:02:56  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 50 2017-02-09T06:16:59  *** lclc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2017-02-09T06:17:20  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 52 2017-02-09T06:21:54  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2017-02-09T06:27:50  *** pavel_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2017-02-09T06:28:46  *** PRab_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2017-02-09T06:29:15  *** jl2012_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2017-02-09T06:29:56  *** wallet42_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2017-02-09T06:30:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/dd163f578869...36f9d3ae6da4
 58 2017-02-09T06:30:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c8cee26 Luke Dashjr: Qt/Intro: Update block chain size
 59 2017-02-09T06:30:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 93ffba7 Luke Dashjr: Bugfix: Qt/Intro: Chain state needs to be stored even with the full blockchain
 60 2017-02-09T06:30:35  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a9baa6d Luke Dashjr: Bugfix: Qt/Intro: Pruned nodes never require *more* space
 61 2017-02-09T06:33:08  *** wallet42 has quit IRC
 62 2017-02-09T06:33:08  *** jl2012 has quit IRC
 63 2017-02-09T06:33:08  *** PRab has quit IRC
 64 2017-02-09T06:33:09  *** paveljanik has quit IRC
 65 2017-02-09T06:33:09  *** NicolasDorier has quit IRC
 66 2017-02-09T06:33:09  *** waxwing has quit IRC
 67 2017-02-09T06:33:09  *** windsok has quit IRC
 68 2017-02-09T06:33:17  *** jl2012_ is now known as jl2012
 69 2017-02-09T06:33:19  *** PRab_ is now known as PRab
 70 2017-02-09T06:33:22  *** wallet42_ is now known as wallet42
 71 2017-02-09T06:33:30  *** windsok has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2017-02-09T06:33:47  *** waxwing has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2017-02-09T06:34:43  *** NicolasDorier has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2017-02-09T06:42:07  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2017-02-09T06:58:11  <wumpus> should bitseed.xf2.org be removed from the seeds? re: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8861#issuecomment-278140201
 76 2017-02-09T07:08:45  *** cannon-c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2017-02-09T07:19:35  *** chjj has quit IRC
 78 2017-02-09T07:33:35  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 79 2017-02-09T07:37:23  *** udiWertheimer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2017-02-09T07:38:23  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2017-02-09T07:46:13  *** pavel_ has quit IRC
 82 2017-02-09T07:47:30  <luke-jr> wumpus: dunno, but I would prefer if bug text wasn't updated so as to make it useless for understanding what the problem was :p
 83 2017-02-09T07:48:24  <wumpus> luke-jr: changed the title
 84 2017-02-09T07:48:35  <luke-jr> XD
 85 2017-02-09T07:58:12  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 86 2017-02-09T08:00:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #9726: netbase: Do not print an error on connection timeouts through proxy (master...2017_02_intr_recv_error) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9726
 87 2017-02-09T08:03:22  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2017-02-09T08:09:25  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 89 2017-02-09T08:09:40  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 90 2017-02-09T08:13:18  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2017-02-09T08:22:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #9727: Remove fallbacks for boost_filesystem < v3 (master...2017_02_boostfs_flailbacks) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9727
 92 2017-02-09T08:29:57  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2017-02-09T08:30:00  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2017-02-09T08:30:44  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 95 2017-02-09T08:32:32  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2017-02-09T08:39:24  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 97 2017-02-09T08:39:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2017-02-09T08:39:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2017-02-09T09:12:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] NicolasDorier opened pull request #9728: Can create Watch Only HD wallet with -hdwatchonly (master...watchonlyhd) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9728
100 2017-02-09T09:39:08  *** rickygee has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2017-02-09T10:03:07  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2017-02-09T10:33:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #9730: Remove bitseed.xf2.org form the dns seed list (master...2017/02/seeds) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9730
103 2017-02-09T10:33:05  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: yes. Lets remove it.
104 2017-02-09T10:33:33  <jonasschnelli> Try a couple of addrs from the bitseed.xf2.org DNS response...
105 2017-02-09T10:33:40  *** lclc has quit IRC
106 2017-02-09T10:33:42  <jonasschnelli> I could not get a single address that responsed on 8333
107 2017-02-09T10:39:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
108 2017-02-09T10:40:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2017-02-09T10:42:27  *** BashCo has quit IRC
110 2017-02-09T10:43:11  *** rickygee has quit IRC
111 2017-02-09T10:55:53  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2017-02-09T11:06:45  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2017-02-09T11:12:48  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
114 2017-02-09T11:32:38  *** lclc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2017-02-09T12:05:07  *** wvr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2017-02-09T12:13:59  *** cannon-c has quit IRC
117 2017-02-09T12:26:36  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
118 2017-02-09T12:40:05  *** cannon-c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2017-02-09T12:47:55  *** paveljanik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2017-02-09T12:54:09  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2017-02-09T13:01:53  *** neha has quit IRC
122 2017-02-09T13:02:08  *** neha has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2017-02-09T13:04:00  *** lclc_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2017-02-09T13:05:12  *** lclc has quit IRC
125 2017-02-09T13:16:11  *** cannon-c has quit IRC
126 2017-02-09T13:40:17  *** Sosumi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2017-02-09T13:56:01  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2017-02-09T13:56:12  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
129 2017-02-09T13:58:23  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2017-02-09T14:01:53  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2017-02-09T14:33:59  <brg444> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9441 is this set to make it into 0.14?
132 2017-02-09T14:44:51  <Lauda> brg444 I see it marked for 0.14.0?
133 2017-02-09T14:45:15  <brg444> yeah nvm :P
134 2017-02-09T14:48:28  *** pigeons has quit IRC
135 2017-02-09T14:58:25  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2017-02-09T14:59:06  *** lclc_ has quit IRC
137 2017-02-09T15:00:48  *** lclc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2017-02-09T15:15:09  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
139 2017-02-09T15:18:27  *** pigeons has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2017-02-09T15:18:50  *** pigeons is now known as Guest98910
141 2017-02-09T15:20:16  *** wasi has quit IRC
142 2017-02-09T15:20:44  *** wasi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2017-02-09T15:23:30  *** Guest98910 is now known as pigeons
144 2017-02-09T15:40:13  *** Guest38580 is now known as thestringpuller
145 2017-02-09T15:40:48  *** thestringpuller has quit IRC
146 2017-02-09T15:40:48  *** thestringpuller has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2017-02-09T15:54:58  *** lclc has quit IRC
148 2017-02-09T15:58:30  *** windsok has quit IRC
149 2017-02-09T16:13:43  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2017-02-09T16:19:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] earonesty opened pull request #9731: Bitcoin Unlimited Pull Request (master...release) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9731
151 2017-02-09T16:20:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] earonesty closed pull request #9731: Bitcoin Unlimited Pull Request (master...release) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9731
152 2017-02-09T16:20:11  <instagibbs> I seem to always forget, but what's the best way to get a reference(or copy) of a CScript as a unsigned char*
153 2017-02-09T16:21:00  <instagibbs> sigh, as soon as I ask.. .front() seems to do trick
154 2017-02-09T16:22:06  <cfields> didn't we give it a .data() ?
155 2017-02-09T16:24:34  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
156 2017-02-09T16:24:45  <instagibbs> appears so in master, working on slightly older branch. good call.
157 2017-02-09T16:32:19  <cfields> ah, ok
158 2017-02-09T16:34:28  *** windsok has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2017-02-09T16:43:53  <sipa> instagibbs: you can't call front om an empty vector
160 2017-02-09T16:44:23  <sipa> and if it isn't empty, &v[0] works fine
161 2017-02-09T16:45:31  *** abpa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2017-02-09T16:52:14  <instagibbs> what happens if I do call it on an empty vector?
163 2017-02-09T16:52:45  <Chris_Stewart_5> index out of bounds?
164 2017-02-09T16:58:18  *** lclc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2017-02-09T17:14:56  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
166 2017-02-09T17:15:08  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2017-02-09T17:25:47  *** BashCo has quit IRC
168 2017-02-09T17:27:47  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-02-09T17:29:18  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2017-02-09T17:39:50  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
171 2017-02-09T17:46:17  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2017-02-09T18:24:48  <sipa> instagibbs: undefined
173 2017-02-09T18:25:30  <sipa> Chris_Stewart_5: no, operator[] does not do bounds checking. you're simply only allowed to call it for indexes that exist
174 2017-02-09T18:38:51  <wumpus> it's one of the wacky things about c++, but we shouldn't care now that c++11 added .data()
175 2017-02-09T18:39:55  <wumpus> we used to have begin_ptr and end_ptr functions to go from a vector to a begin/end pointer and wrap the "if empty" logic, but that's no longer necessary with data()
176 2017-02-09T18:43:47  <Chris_Stewart_5> wumpus: Yes, coming from jvm land this has been a little confusing for me. I'll have to read more about .data()
177 2017-02-09T18:45:36  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-02-09T18:48:57  <cfields> Chris_Stewart_5: throw .at() in for even more fun :)
179 2017-02-09T18:52:11  <instagibbs> sigh. The More You Know
180 2017-02-09T18:53:54  *** molz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2017-02-09T18:54:38  *** lclc has quit IRC
182 2017-02-09T18:55:43  <wumpus> yes it's bizarre
183 2017-02-09T18:56:40  *** mol has quit IRC
184 2017-02-09T18:57:13  <MarcoFalke> meeting in 3 minutes I guess
185 2017-02-09T18:57:24  <wumpus> yes
186 2017-02-09T19:00:12  <sipa> ploink
187 2017-02-09T19:01:28  <MarcoFalke> everyone too busy reviewing code
188 2017-02-09T19:01:39  <wumpus> #startmeeting
189 2017-02-09T19:01:39  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Feb  9 19:01:39 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
190 2017-02-09T19:01:39  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
191 2017-02-09T19:01:44  <jonasschnelli> hi
192 2017-02-09T19:02:27  <wumpus> topic: 0.14, I guess
193 2017-02-09T19:03:25  <jonasschnelli> What holds the rc1 back? The open PRs with 0.14 tag?
194 2017-02-09T19:03:35  <wumpus> there are some net issues
195 2017-02-09T19:04:00  <jonasschnelli> #9698
196 2017-02-09T19:04:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9698 | net: fix socket close race by theuni · Pull Request #9698 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
197 2017-02-09T19:04:31  <wumpus> #9698 #9715 #9720
198 2017-02-09T19:04:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9698 | net: fix socket close race by theuni · Pull Request #9698 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
199 2017-02-09T19:04:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9715 | Disconnect peers which we do not receive VERACKs from within 60 sec by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9715 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
200 2017-02-09T19:04:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9720 | net: fix banning and disallow sending messages before receiving verack by theuni · Pull Request #9720 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
201 2017-02-09T19:04:42  <wumpus> but I'm not sure that's all; cfields here?
202 2017-02-09T19:04:51  <cfields> and the atomics, or did those go in this morning?
203 2017-02-09T19:05:28  <cfields> #9708
204 2017-02-09T19:05:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9708 | Clean Up all known races/platform-specific UB by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #9708 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
205 2017-02-09T19:05:41  <wumpus> you mean the wallet update counter?
206 2017-02-09T19:05:58  <wumpus> that went in, I don't know about any other atomic changes
207 2017-02-09T19:06:00  <cfields> wumpus: ^^
208 2017-02-09T19:06:31  <cfields> not strictly necessary for 0.14, but makes it much easier to test the others
209 2017-02-09T19:06:57  <wumpus> ok will tag that too
210 2017-02-09T19:08:30  <wumpus> anything else?
211 2017-02-09T19:08:39  <cfields> sorry for the last minute issues. For back-story/context, BlueMatt began testing in helgrind, and came up with a list of possible races in the net code. I wrote a quick fuzz tool to try to hit some, and managed to do so in a few cases. Some are new issues, some are long-standing
212 2017-02-09T19:09:21  <wumpus> well, better to catch these before the release than after atleast :)
213 2017-02-09T19:09:36  <achow101> besides these net issues there's just the importmulti stuff left, yes?
214 2017-02-09T19:09:38  <cfields> the above PRs address all known races in the net code. By fixing even the harmless ones, it allows us to start using tools as part of c-i to avoid introducing new ones
215 2017-02-09T19:09:59  <sipa> do we want to update the static seed IP list for 0.14?
216 2017-02-09T19:10:11  <jonasschnelli> That would probably be a good idea.
217 2017-02-09T19:10:24  <wumpus> yes, we usually do that before a major release
218 2017-02-09T19:10:36  <wumpus> I'll do that
219 2017-02-09T19:11:15  <cfields> do defaultAssumeValid/nMinimumChainWork get bumps before rc1?
220 2017-02-09T19:11:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #9732: [Trivial] Remove nonsense #undef foreach (master...removeundefforeach) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9732
221 2017-02-09T19:11:44  <wumpus> #action update hardcoded seeds
222 2017-02-09T19:12:07  <sipa> we can update chainTxData (only used for progress estimation) for sure
223 2017-02-09T19:13:36  <wumpus> ok, do we have a script or something for that? I wouldn't know how to do that
224 2017-02-09T19:13:55  <MarcoFalke> I propose we do the bumps in the commit prior to branch off. thus we don't need to redo the work for the master branch
225 2017-02-09T19:14:14  <MarcoFalke> sipa: Is is mentioned in release process.md?
226 2017-02-09T19:14:19  <sipa> MarcoFalke: i believe not
227 2017-02-09T19:14:29  <sipa> MarcoFalke: i'll write a script, and add it to contrib/ ?
228 2017-02-09T19:15:14  <MarcoFalke> Add a note to release-process.md at least, so we don't forget about it in the future.
229 2017-02-09T19:15:26  <sipa> yeah, that too
230 2017-02-09T19:15:39  <MarcoFalke> If the script is only for maintainers, you can add it to the maintainer repo
231 2017-02-09T19:16:18  <sipa> it was updated in #9472, which is very recent, so i don't think it needs much adjusting, but we should have a procedure for it
232 2017-02-09T19:16:34  <MarcoFalke> I think it helps devs if the main repo is kept lean
233 2017-02-09T19:16:45  <sipa> ok
234 2017-02-09T19:17:02  <sipa> unsure what to do about defaultAssumeValid/nMinimumChainWork though
235 2017-02-09T19:17:23  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9472 | Disentangle progress estimation from checkpoints and update it by sipa · Pull Request #9472 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
236 2017-02-09T19:18:38  <wumpus> yes it'd help to have the process described in any case
237 2017-02-09T19:19:25  <gmaxwell> sipa: why unsure? there is a process documented in the relase instructions.
238 2017-02-09T19:19:39  <gmaxwell> follow the process.
239 2017-02-09T19:19:56  <MarcoFalke> sipa: We want those bumped as well, I guess. Would be nice to do assumevalid in a pull, so that people can review the hash.
240 2017-02-09T19:20:22  <gmaxwell> (if the process there is somehow insufficent, -- PR's accepted.)
241 2017-02-09T19:20:30  <sipa> gmaxwell: cool, i remember reviewing those release instructions even, just forgot about them
242 2017-02-09T19:20:38  <gmaxwell> oh good. :P
243 2017-02-09T19:21:10  <gmaxwell> There isn't a script but it's trivial enough that I didn't think one was needed. (it's basically 'call getblockchaininfo')
244 2017-02-09T19:21:37  <sipa> yeah, chainTxData is a bit more complicated as it needs an estimate of the tx/s rate
245 2017-02-09T19:21:40  <sipa> but i'll PR a release process update
246 2017-02-09T19:22:06  <MarcoFalke> #action update release process for chainTxData
247 2017-02-09T19:22:11  <gmaxwell> sipa: thats 'read two updatetip lines' ?
248 2017-02-09T19:22:13  <wumpus> ideally it'd be automated with a script, especially as it's under "every minor release"
249 2017-02-09T19:22:40  <gmaxwell> make a RPC that emits a patch. :P
250 2017-02-09T19:23:18  <wumpus> if it's manual work, it's probably going to be skipped for most minor releases
251 2017-02-09T19:23:30  <wumpus> heck, weforget to update the version numbers half the time :-)
252 2017-02-09T19:24:17  <wumpus> anyhow, any other topics?
253 2017-02-09T19:24:31  <sipa> well what else is on the 0.14 tagged list?
254 2017-02-09T19:24:58  <sipa> is #9392 going to be fixed?
255 2017-02-09T19:24:59  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9392 | Wallet ancestor sanity-check ignores sigops · Issue #9392 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
256 2017-02-09T19:25:00  <jonasschnelli> #9108
257 2017-02-09T19:25:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9108 | Use importmulti timestamp when importing watch only keys by ryanofsky · Pull Request #9108 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
258 2017-02-09T19:25:17  <sipa> i don't think 9392 is very high priority
259 2017-02-09T19:25:43  <gmaxwell> I don't think 9392 is interesting at all.
260 2017-02-09T19:25:46  <wumpus> ok, let's untag it for 0.14 then, there's enough high priority stuff to worry about
261 2017-02-09T19:25:51  <gmaxwell> it's not something our wallet can violate.
262 2017-02-09T19:25:58  <gmaxwell> (I think, or if so it would be super fringe)
263 2017-02-09T19:26:20  <wumpus> ... it isn't tagged for 0.14
264 2017-02-09T19:26:39  <wumpus> oh MarcoFalke just did that
265 2017-02-09T19:26:46  <wumpus> :D
266 2017-02-09T19:29:36  <MarcoFalke> The other issues tagged for 0.14 have pulls open. I think this concludes the meeting
267 2017-02-09T19:29:53  <achow101> does anything else need to be added to the release notes?
268 2017-02-09T19:30:34  <jonasschnelli> Yes. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8455
269 2017-02-09T19:30:36  <gmaxwell> I haven't been following the wiki release notes. Hows that been going?
270 2017-02-09T19:31:26  <wumpus> from what I remember all the things on the list were done
271 2017-02-09T19:31:30  <gmaxwell> cool.
272 2017-02-09T19:31:39  <achow101> I added a ton of stuff a couple of weeks ago
273 2017-02-09T19:31:46  <wumpus> yes, awesome work achow101
274 2017-02-09T19:31:57  <sipa> nice
275 2017-02-09T19:32:28  <jonasschnelli> thanks achow101
276 2017-02-09T19:33:36  <wumpus> I was planning on merging the release notes from the wiki just before the rc1 branch
277 2017-02-09T19:34:29  <wumpus> or just after the 0.14 branch-off, in any case there's no reason to have them on master they'll be cleared there anyway
278 2017-02-09T19:34:34  <MarcoFalke> you mean 0.14 branch or rc1 tag?
279 2017-02-09T19:34:43  <wumpus> before the rc1 tag
280 2017-02-09T19:34:44  <MarcoFalke> ok
281 2017-02-09T19:34:47  <wumpus> or after the 0.14 branch
282 2017-02-09T19:34:53  <wumpus> doesn't matter much :)
283 2017-02-09T19:34:59  <achow101> there's only two things on the release notes todo that aren't checked off. I can't write them because I don't understand those topics :(
284 2017-02-09T19:35:12  <sdaftuar> the release notes currently have a recommendation to run Bitcoin Knots, for miners wishing to retain "priority" sorting for mining.  i don't think recommending other forks of the project is appropriate (as i've brought up in the past)
285 2017-02-09T19:35:22  <sipa> sdaftuar: agree
286 2017-02-09T19:35:49  <wumpus> I don't think that makes much sense either
287 2017-02-09T19:36:03  <jonasschnelli> sdaftuar: definitively.
288 2017-02-09T19:36:15  <gmaxwell> My concern is different:
289 2017-02-09T19:36:22  <jtimon> wumpus: if they're cleared on master after the fact, yeah, it doesn't matter
290 2017-02-09T19:36:32  *** chjj has quit IRC
291 2017-02-09T19:36:43  <gmaxwell> I think it's fine to recommend a compatible fork for a feature we don't care to support. BUT I think we should not be recommending priority, I think it's bad for users of the network.
292 2017-02-09T19:36:48  <wumpus> jtimon: master will end up with empty release notes to be filled in for 0.15
293 2017-02-09T19:37:23  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: my primary concern is that developers on this project have not reviewed other forks.  secondarily, i agree with your concern that we should not be recommending priority
294 2017-02-09T19:37:29  <gmaxwell> (also, if miners do want to do priority, the best way would be using the rpc and a prioriizing daemon... but see my part (2))
295 2017-02-09T19:37:40  <wumpus> (and, after 0.14.0 final is released, with the 0.14.0.md in historical release notes)
296 2017-02-09T19:38:20  <gmaxwell> Part of my answer to luke when he was complaining about priority is that if miners want priority (I think ~none do) they could just use knots. I think that might motivate that release note recommendation.
297 2017-02-09T19:38:32  <gmaxwell> But me saying "you can use knots" is not the same as the project saying it
298 2017-02-09T19:38:45  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: yes, i think it's fine if you or luke individually make that recommendation
299 2017-02-09T19:38:50  <wumpus> just doesn't make sense to recommend it in the release notes
300 2017-02-09T19:38:50  <sdaftuar> well, "fine" :)
301 2017-02-09T19:39:27  <wumpus> would marginally make sense if it was an experimental feature we were expecting to merge in later
302 2017-02-09T19:39:28  <jtimon> wumpus: I see, I tend to prefer to put as much in master as possible (and if it makes sense), but in this case it really doesn't matter
303 2017-02-09T19:39:40  <gmaxwell> I could make a post about 'I think you shouldn't use priority, I think ~no one does, but if you want-- there is knots' which might make luke happier. I wouldn't mind doing that personally.
304 2017-02-09T19:39:42  <jtimon> it's release notes
305 2017-02-09T19:42:45  <gmaxwell> in any case, +1 for removing that from release notes.
306 2017-02-09T19:42:51  <achow101> it's gone
307 2017-02-09T19:42:53  <jtimon> maybe just a question in a faq or something? "we don't recomment using prioirty, but if you miss it, there's knots at..."
308 2017-02-09T19:43:09  <gmaxwell> jtimon: infrequently asked questions
309 2017-02-09T19:43:15  <achow101> (jonasschnelli removed it)
310 2017-02-09T19:43:19  <gmaxwell> never asked questions
311 2017-02-09T19:43:35  <jtimon> gmaxwell: yeah, in some iaq.html then
312 2017-02-09T19:46:37  <wumpus> ok, any other topics?
313 2017-02-09T19:47:28  <wumpus> if not, let's close the meeting
314 2017-02-09T19:47:37  <gmaxwell> I'm excited to get 0.14 out. It's got lots of great stuff. :)
315 2017-02-09T19:48:23  <cfields> +1 :)
316 2017-02-09T19:48:24  <sipa> indeed
317 2017-02-09T19:48:24  <wumpus> me too, it should be close now, everyone review!: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.14.0
318 2017-02-09T19:48:28  <jtimon> yep, many optimizations and cleanups
319 2017-02-09T19:49:42  <wumpus> #endmeeting
320 2017-02-09T19:49:42  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Feb  9 19:49:42 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
321 2017-02-09T19:49:42  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-02-09-19.01.html
322 2017-02-09T19:49:42  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-02-09-19.01.txt
323 2017-02-09T19:49:42  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-02-09-19.01.log.html
324 2017-02-09T19:50:40  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2017-02-09T19:56:13  <morcos> oops sorry, the snow distracted me from the meeting
326 2017-02-09T19:57:29  <morcos> achow101: you said there are 2 unchecked off things, but are there other things that need to be in release notes
327 2017-02-09T19:57:38  <morcos> i think i need to mention all my new minimum fees
328 2017-02-09T19:57:53  <sipa> morcos: comment about that on #8455 ?
329 2017-02-09T19:57:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8455 | TODO for release notes 0.14.0 · Issue #8455 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
330 2017-02-09T19:57:55  <morcos> i can do that, but what's my deadline?
331 2017-02-09T19:58:55  <MarcoFalke> morcos: Probably when rc1 is tagged
332 2017-02-09T19:59:21  <morcos> ok, i can probably do it tomorrow if not tonight
333 2017-02-09T20:06:45  <achow101> morcos: add them to the list with links to relevant PRs
334 2017-02-09T20:21:36  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2017-02-09T20:31:10  <achow101> do maintainer scripts have to by python scripts?
336 2017-02-09T20:34:53  *** lclc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2017-02-09T20:43:39  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
338 2017-02-09T20:48:04  <sipa> achow101: no, but they have to be usable by the people that tend to run them :)
339 2017-02-09T20:48:17  <sipa> (i would object to a visual basic program, for example)
340 2017-02-09T20:48:44  <achow101> so bash would be fine
341 2017-02-09T20:48:49  <sipa> oh, sure
342 2017-02-09T20:50:41  <achow101> ok. I think I'm going to write a do-the-pre-release-things script which does the version increment, seed update, etc
343 2017-02-09T20:51:13  <achow101> (because apparently we forget to do those)
344 2017-02-09T21:01:29  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
345 2017-02-09T21:17:36  <sipa> achow101: that would be nice
346 2017-02-09T21:30:08  <BlueMatt> does anyone have a 0.14-testing branch anywhere?
347 2017-02-09T21:30:13  <BlueMatt> (ie with all the 0.14-tagged things merged)
348 2017-02-09T21:39:50  *** lclc has quit IRC
349 2017-02-09T21:41:15  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2017-02-09T21:47:30  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
351 2017-02-09T21:48:15  *** MarcoFalke has quit IRC
352 2017-02-09T21:49:34  *** wvr has quit IRC
353 2017-02-09T21:50:07  *** wvr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
354 2017-02-09T22:05:05  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
355 2017-02-09T22:07:58  <cfields> BlueMatt: not an answer to your question, but another branch for you to look at: https://github.com/theuni/bitcoin/tree/2017-02-fix-copystats-races
356 2017-02-09T22:08:27  <BlueMatt> cfields: what all is integrated there?
357 2017-02-09T22:08:35  <cfields> BlueMatt: that adds threading annotations for most net vars, and verifies your race fixes
358 2017-02-09T22:08:49  <BlueMatt> ahh
359 2017-02-09T22:08:52  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2017-02-09T22:08:54  <BlueMatt> is the first a fix for more races?
361 2017-02-09T22:08:54  <cfields> here are the outstanding ones it turned up: https://github.com/theuni/bitcoin/commit/d185ca0840f8107b2cf4307f51d703e849532928
362 2017-02-09T22:09:21  <BlueMatt> ahh, not actual races because of ordering of Start/Stop with other things, but, yea, should fix
363 2017-02-09T22:09:24  <cfields> yea. i don't think we actually need to worry about most of it
364 2017-02-09T22:09:45  <cfields> the only one with any weight is the cs_filter
365 2017-02-09T22:10:00  <cfields> that one's still actually racy
366 2017-02-09T22:10:56  <BlueMatt> oh, I guess i never evicted in helgrind, yea
367 2017-02-09T22:11:00  <cfields> it's fRelayTxes and pfilter
368 2017-02-09T22:11:48  <BlueMatt> yea
369 2017-02-09T22:11:52  <BlueMatt> oh pfilter too? ouch
370 2017-02-09T22:12:02  <BlueMatt> oh, pfilter != NULL
371 2017-02-09T22:12:03  <BlueMatt> not so bad
372 2017-02-09T22:12:05  <BlueMatt> but, yea, race
373 2017-02-09T22:13:21  <cfields> adding the lock there is kinda ugly, any better ideas?
374 2017-02-09T22:15:44  <BlueMatt> cfields: I think the lock is fine? I mean it goes away two LOC later?
375 2017-02-09T22:21:50  <cfields> BlueMatt: just that cs_filter is held with wide scope in net_processing, i'm concerned about the ordering
376 2017-02-09T22:22:32  *** MarcoFalke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
377 2017-02-09T22:26:25  <BlueMatt> cfields: agreed, does clang do lockorder checking in its compile-time stuff?
378 2017-02-09T22:26:28  <BlueMatt> (or can we make it?)
379 2017-02-09T22:26:40  <sipa> yes
380 2017-02-09T22:27:09  <cfields> yea, you can tell it that a lock is not allowed here
381 2017-02-09T22:27:54  <cfields> playing with that now
382 2017-02-09T22:28:44  <sipa> the definitions in src/threadsafety.h
383 2017-02-09T22:48:48  <cfields> ACQUIRED_BEFORE(...) and ACQUIRED_AFTER(...) are currently unimplemented
384 2017-02-09T22:48:50  <cfields> fantastic.
385 2017-02-09T22:49:19  <BlueMatt> heh
386 2017-02-09T22:49:23  <BlueMatt> does clang support them, though?
387 2017-02-09T22:49:59  <cfields> https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ThreadSafetyAnalysis.html
388 2017-02-09T22:50:04  <cfields> that's from the clang docs
389 2017-02-09T22:50:20  *** droark has quit IRC
390 2017-02-09T22:50:28  <BlueMatt> heh
391 2017-02-09T23:12:21  *** gluytium has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
392 2017-02-09T23:15:02  <cfields> mm, nope. It's not smart enough to figure it out. The fact that cs_vNodes lives in CConnman and cs_filter lives in CNode is too much.
393 2017-02-09T23:16:26  *** musalbas has quit IRC
394 2017-02-09T23:16:48  *** musalbas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
395 2017-02-09T23:16:49  <luke-jr> can someone reopen #7339 please?
396 2017-02-09T23:16:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7339 | Support building without libevent by luke-jr · Pull Request #7339 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
397 2017-02-09T23:32:05  *** jeremyrubin has quit IRC
398 2017-02-09T23:33:00  *** jeremyrubin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
399 2017-02-09T23:35:17  *** harrymm1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2017-02-09T23:35:53  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
401 2017-02-09T23:36:00  *** harrymm has quit IRC
402 2017-02-09T23:36:09  <cfields> BlueMatt: how much do you hate this https://github.com/theuni/bitcoin/commit/c6a93bd5313297d7ec091988a46366cfc12fef3c ? rather just pile on more atomics instead?
403 2017-02-09T23:41:42  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev