1 2017-07-20T00:05:13  *** ayy1337|2 has quit IRC
  2 2017-07-20T00:06:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #10885: Prevent duplicate wallets (master...2017-07-prevent-duplicate-wallets) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10885
  3 2017-07-20T00:09:17  <promag> sipa: there you go
  4 2017-07-20T00:29:13  <Chris_Stewart_5> The CScript constructor in the python testing framework will add push ops for constants right? Or do I need to add them manually
  5 2017-07-20T00:44:20  *** Murch has quit IRC
  6 2017-07-20T00:45:07  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
  7 2017-07-20T00:49:10  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
  8 2017-07-20T00:49:41  *** Orion3k has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2017-07-20T00:51:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2017-07-20T00:51:30  <Chris_Stewart_5> nvm, dynamic typing got me..
 11 2017-07-20T00:55:29  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 12 2017-07-20T00:57:03  *** promag has quit IRC
 13 2017-07-20T01:02:35  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
 14 2017-07-20T01:04:27  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2017-07-20T01:14:03  *** roidster has quit IRC
 16 2017-07-20T01:14:55  *** jamesob_ has quit IRC
 17 2017-07-20T01:33:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #10886: Remove unused #define in sync.h (master...remove-unused-define) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10886
 18 2017-07-20T01:33:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider closed pull request #10886: Remove unused #define in sync.h (master...remove-unused-define) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10886
 19 2017-07-20T01:44:25  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2017-07-20T01:45:50  *** _flow_ has quit IRC
 21 2017-07-20T01:50:51  *** rjak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2017-07-20T01:51:56  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2017-07-20T01:56:05  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 24 2017-07-20T02:12:42  *** darawk has quit IRC
 25 2017-07-20T02:14:50  *** _flow_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2017-07-20T02:15:44  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2017-07-20T02:21:52  *** arowser has quit IRC
 28 2017-07-20T02:24:37  *** jamesob_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2017-07-20T03:01:05  *** d_t has quit IRC
 30 2017-07-20T03:08:20  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
 31 2017-07-20T03:08:59  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2017-07-20T03:10:17  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 33 2017-07-20T03:10:50  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2017-07-20T03:49:08  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2017-07-20T03:52:05  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 36 2017-07-20T03:52:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2017-07-20T03:58:19  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 38 2017-07-20T04:17:03  *** ayy1337|2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2017-07-20T04:53:10  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 40 2017-07-20T05:23:08  *** proxyyy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2017-07-20T05:27:39  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2017-07-20T05:42:14  *** jamesob_ has quit IRC
 43 2017-07-20T06:13:24  *** dev__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2017-07-20T06:22:04  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2017-07-20T06:24:16  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
 46 2017-07-20T06:55:18  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2017-07-20T07:02:39  *** d_t has quit IRC
 48 2017-07-20T07:02:49  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2017-07-20T07:03:44  <wumpus> a user on transifex is misbehaving (vandalizing the German translations), anyone have experience with how to handle this? I don't see any ban controls etc in their interface
 50 2017-07-20T07:09:29  <jonasschnelli> hmm...can we revert his changes?
 51 2017-07-20T07:09:33  <wumpus> e.g. nearly all of these are nonsense https://www.transifex.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/translate/#de/$/104570304?user=pehotinec, sometimes he copies slightly similar messages to make it look ok, sometimes he just copies the English message, in any cast this seems deliberate
 52 2017-07-20T07:10:29  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2017-07-20T07:11:13  <jonasschnelli> I'll write transiflex support to ban that user
 54 2017-07-20T07:11:26  <wumpus> thank you
 55 2017-07-20T07:11:40  <jonasschnelli> But is there a way to revert all his changes?
 56 2017-07-20T07:12:54  <wumpus> not in one go - there's a revert button on messages, but usually it seems to be disabled; I think that means these messages have no previous translation, it's only noticed now
 57 2017-07-20T07:13:17  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 58 2017-07-20T07:13:27  <jonasschnelli> Okay. I'll check the german part (and eventually write in the correct transaltion)
 59 2017-07-20T07:13:29  <wumpus> they should be reveted back to untranslated
 60 2017-07-20T07:13:35  <wumpus> yes, or that
 61 2017-07-20T07:13:54  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2017-07-20T07:14:23  <Victorsueca> I don't know a way to block a user from a project that doesn't go through making people request to join the translation team
 63 2017-07-20T07:15:01  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: do we also need to take care of <0.15 translations (do these get pulled again?)?
 64 2017-07-20T07:15:35  <wumpus> only 0.14, the others are closed. Those get pulled again when there is a minor release.
 65 2017-07-20T07:18:44  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: although users pehotinec did also correct translations...
 66 2017-07-20T07:19:32  <wumpus> there are a few that seem to be correct, some look very convincing but seem copies of related messages, and others are complete nonsense
 67 2017-07-20T07:20:27  <wumpus> it's quite sneaky which is why it took months to discover, unlike if he just wrote 'poop' everywhere. seone has sent him a message asking about his motivation but I have the feeling he's not going to respond normally to that
 68 2017-07-20T07:21:09  <jonasschnelli> Yes. I guess he filled in english translations into the missing german ones
 69 2017-07-20T07:23:22  <wumpus> he also has some english to english messages in de_DE https://www.transifex.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/translate/#de_DE/$/65093519?user=pehotinec
 70 2017-07-20T07:32:24  *** cysm has quit IRC
 71 2017-07-20T07:32:50  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
 72 2017-07-20T07:37:53  *** btcdrak has quit IRC
 73 2017-07-20T07:40:15  *** cysm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2017-07-20T07:43:03  *** btcdrak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2017-07-20T07:50:08  *** Orion3k has quit IRC
 76 2017-07-20T08:09:37  *** ayy1337|2 has quit IRC
 77 2017-07-20T08:15:38  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2017-07-20T08:19:08  *** Lauda_ has quit IRC
 79 2017-07-20T08:21:01  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2017-07-20T08:22:14  *** pescador has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2017-07-20T08:22:25  *** d_t has quit IRC
 82 2017-07-20T08:36:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/df0793f324e3...bf3b742e2852
 83 2017-07-20T08:36:07  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2264236 Alex Morcos: Rename -usewallet to -rpcwallet
 84 2017-07-20T08:36:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bf3b742 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10883: Rename -usewallet to -rpcwallet...
 85 2017-07-20T08:36:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10883: Rename -usewallet to -rpcwallet (master...rpcwallet) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10883
 86 2017-07-20T08:54:28  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2017-07-20T08:55:45  *** pescador has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2017-07-20T09:18:10  *** darawk has quit IRC
 89 2017-07-20T09:19:24  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2017-07-20T09:20:06  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2017-07-20T09:20:54  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2017-07-20T09:21:42  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2017-07-20T09:22:07  *** darawk has quit IRC
 94 2017-07-20T09:22:29  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2017-07-20T09:26:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2017-07-20T09:38:49  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2017-07-20T09:45:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] benma opened pull request #10888: range-based loops and const qualifications in net.cpp (master...netcpp_cosmetics2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10888
 98 2017-07-20T09:57:53  *** btcdrak has quit IRC
 99 2017-07-20T10:27:05  *** promag has quit IRC
100 2017-07-20T10:28:22  *** Lauda_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2017-07-20T10:29:54  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2017-07-20T10:31:17  *** promag has quit IRC
103 2017-07-20T10:31:50  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2017-07-20T10:33:58  *** promag has quit IRC
105 2017-07-20T10:46:55  *** dev__ has quit IRC
106 2017-07-20T10:54:49  *** coredump_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2017-07-20T11:13:34  *** BashCo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2017-07-20T11:13:36  *** BashCo has quit IRC
109 2017-07-20T11:15:40  *** JackH has quit IRC
110 2017-07-20T11:42:52  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2017-07-20T12:00:45  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
112 2017-07-20T12:08:07  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
113 2017-07-20T12:12:00  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2017-07-20T12:12:55  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2017-07-20T12:20:35  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
116 2017-07-20T12:23:16  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2017-07-20T12:38:38  *** coredump_ has quit IRC
118 2017-07-20T12:46:10  *** coredump_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2017-07-20T13:07:42  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2017-07-20T13:11:31  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
121 2017-07-20T13:22:34  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2017-07-20T13:22:53  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2017-07-20T13:42:28  *** wvr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2017-07-20T13:43:46  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2017-07-20T14:11:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery closed pull request #10868: Remove -usewallet (master...remove_use_wallet) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10868
126 2017-07-20T14:14:53  *** d_t has quit IRC
127 2017-07-20T14:27:50  *** coredump_ has quit IRC
128 2017-07-20T14:29:13  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
129 2017-07-20T14:31:26  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2017-07-20T14:43:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bf3b742e2852...adf170daf90f
131 2017-07-20T14:43:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6b4f231 Andrew Chow: Move transaction combining from signrawtransaction to new RPC...
132 2017-07-20T14:43:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master adf170d Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10571: [RPC]Move transaction combining from signrawtransaction to new RPC...
133 2017-07-20T14:43:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10571: [RPC]Move transaction combining from signrawtransaction to new RPC (master...combineraw-rpc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10571
134 2017-07-20T14:47:37  *** coredump_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2017-07-20T14:54:10  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2017-07-20T14:55:28  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2017-07-20T14:57:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/adf170daf90f...fd2814ef1182
138 2017-07-20T14:57:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 35aff43 practicalswift: Remove unused variable int64_t nEnd...
139 2017-07-20T14:57:38  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5a6671c practicalswift: Fix typo: "conditon" → "condition"...
140 2017-07-20T14:57:38  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fd2814e Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10862: Remove unused variable int64_t nEnd. Fix typo: "conditon" → "condition"....
141 2017-07-20T14:57:49  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
142 2017-07-20T14:58:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10862: Remove unused variable int64_t nEnd. Fix typo: "conditon" → "condition". (master...nEnd) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10862
143 2017-07-20T14:58:38  *** coredump_ has quit IRC
144 2017-07-20T15:02:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/fd2814ef1182...041dad94b047
145 2017-07-20T15:02:52  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a70d025 Gregory Sanders: fixup some rpc param counting for rpc help
146 2017-07-20T15:02:52  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 999ef20 Gregory Sanders: importmulti options are optional
147 2017-07-20T15:02:52  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4dc1915 Gregory Sanders: check for null values in rpc args and handle appropriately
148 2017-07-20T15:03:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10783: [RPC] Various rpc argument fixes (master...rpcargfixes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10783
149 2017-07-20T15:05:42  *** promag has quit IRC
150 2017-07-20T15:07:57  *** spinza has quit IRC
151 2017-07-20T15:08:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2017-07-20T15:10:57  *** BashCo_ has quit IRC
153 2017-07-20T15:11:36  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2017-07-20T15:12:19  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
155 2017-07-20T15:13:42  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2017-07-20T15:27:50  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2017-07-20T15:28:09  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2017-07-20T15:31:10  <jnewbery> sipa gmaxwell: you were asking for #10882 . It should be review-ready now.
159 2017-07-20T15:31:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10882 | [WIP] Keypool topup by jnewbery · Pull Request #10882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
160 2017-07-20T15:32:45  <sipa> jnewbery: thanks!
161 2017-07-20T15:35:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/041dad94b047...7c2400cb8ab7
162 2017-07-20T15:35:36  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d9d1bd3 romanornr: nCheckDepth chain height fix
163 2017-07-20T15:35:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7c2400c Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10775: nCheckDepth chain height fix...
164 2017-07-20T15:36:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10775: nCheckDepth chain height fix (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10775
165 2017-07-20T15:39:25  <instagibbs> jnewbery, could you squash?
166 2017-07-20T15:40:08  <jnewbery> sure - I'll do that now
167 2017-07-20T15:40:22  <instagibbs> \o/
168 2017-07-20T15:42:31  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-07-20T15:53:23  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2017-07-20T15:56:35  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2017-07-20T15:58:46  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
172 2017-07-20T16:00:37  *** nakaluna has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2017-07-20T16:05:50  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2017-07-20T16:11:20  *** jamesob_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2017-07-20T16:16:41  *** promag has quit IRC
176 2017-07-20T16:17:05  *** spinza has quit IRC
177 2017-07-20T16:25:52  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-07-20T16:27:37  *** timothy has quit IRC
179 2017-07-20T16:30:43  *** nakaluna has quit IRC
180 2017-07-20T16:32:43  *** nakaluna has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2017-07-20T16:35:13  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
182 2017-07-20T16:36:07  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2017-07-20T16:36:39  *** sipa has quit IRC
184 2017-07-20T16:36:40  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2017-07-20T16:37:14  *** JackH has quit IRC
186 2017-07-20T16:51:08  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2017-07-20T16:54:18  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
188 2017-07-20T17:26:32  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2017-07-20T17:26:47  *** darawk has quit IRC
190 2017-07-20T17:27:56  *** handlex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2017-07-20T17:28:02  *** promag has quit IRC
192 2017-07-20T17:33:29  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2017-07-20T17:34:28  *** handlex has quit IRC
194 2017-07-20T17:44:16  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
195 2017-07-20T17:58:40  *** _flow_ has quit IRC
196 2017-07-20T17:58:50  *** darawk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2017-07-20T18:00:41  <sipa> meeting?
198 2017-07-20T18:00:52  <instagibbs> in an hour?
199 2017-07-20T18:00:52  <sipa> oops, in an hour
200 2017-07-20T18:01:01  <instagibbs> :) thanks for reminder though, completely forgot
201 2017-07-20T18:01:37  *** nakaluna has quit IRC
202 2017-07-20T18:02:05  <sipa> yes, i didn't actually think it was meeting time, just wanted to give a veiled reminder </yeahright>
203 2017-07-20T18:02:20  <instagibbs> so humble
204 2017-07-20T18:05:11  *** Murch has quit IRC
205 2017-07-20T18:08:03  <gmaxwell> do we have a editable web doc for release notes again?
206 2017-07-20T18:08:51  <sipa> unsure
207 2017-07-20T18:12:18  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10870#discussion_r128546723, .. what do you think about not doing the URL encode
208 2017-07-20T18:12:41  <jonasschnelli> The allowed wallet characters would not require an urlencode...
209 2017-07-20T18:12:43  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: well you do an URL decode at the other side, so I think that'd potentially result in problems
210 2017-07-20T18:13:09  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: look at SAFE_CHARS_FILENAME
211 2017-07-20T18:13:11  <wumpus> better to keep it symmetrical just in case, even if not strictly needed for what we see now
212 2017-07-20T18:13:37  <jonasschnelli> I though because its a temp fix and the URI encode/decode (atm) do nothing-.
213 2017-07-20T18:13:48  <sipa> it may do something later
214 2017-07-20T18:13:53  <sipa> i don't think it hurts to have it
215 2017-07-20T18:13:55  <wumpus> I have some terrible experiences with escaping if not very carefully taking care of on both sides
216 2017-07-20T18:14:06  <jonasschnelli> Yes. Okay. Then lets keep it.
217 2017-07-20T18:14:23  <jonasschnelli> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10870#discussion_r128546723 must be removed (replaced) once 0.15 is fixed.
218 2017-07-20T18:17:32  <jonasschnelli> whats the long term solution for wallet arguments like -usehd in conjunction with multiwallet?
219 2017-07-20T18:17:47  <jonasschnelli> A createwallet RPC?
220 2017-07-20T18:18:44  <sipa> i think so
221 2017-07-20T18:18:45  <wumpus> yes - dynamically loading/unloading and creating wallets should be possible at some point
222 2017-07-20T18:19:36  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
223 2017-07-20T18:19:40  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2017-07-20T18:19:52  <jonasschnelli> but if you would create a wallet, would it be automatically loaded next start? (== have wallet>s<.dat file somewhere that keeps track of wallets to load)?
225 2017-07-20T18:20:07  <wumpus> I don't thikn so
226 2017-07-20T18:20:24  <jonasschnelli> Assume you use Qt and create a wallet.
227 2017-07-20T18:20:34  <jonasschnelli> You don't want to add a -wallet= to your config file
228 2017-07-20T18:20:39  <jonasschnelli> But Qt may be different
229 2017-07-20T18:20:43  <jonasschnelli> (QSettings)
230 2017-07-20T18:20:47  <wumpus> well, just add a menu option "load wallet"
231 2017-07-20T18:20:53  <sipa> i guess qt can have modifiable settings that include the wallets to load
232 2017-07-20T18:21:05  <wumpus> but yes, qt has a dynamic settings mechanism
233 2017-07-20T18:21:09  <wumpus> it could use that
234 2017-07-20T18:21:55  <jonasschnelli> Not auto-loading RPC created wallets can be cumbersome if one uses pruning.
235 2017-07-20T18:22:29  <wumpus> yes, maybe, I think it's something to worry about later
236 2017-07-20T18:23:23  <wumpus> there's no reason bitcoind couldn't have a dynamic settings mechanism, with some configuration that automatically gets re-loaded on next run, for example the bitcoin-rw.conf idea
237 2017-07-20T18:29:04  *** jtimon has quit IRC
238 2017-07-20T18:29:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 6 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7c2400cb8ab7...16240f43a550
239 2017-07-20T18:29:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4d50f38 Pieter Wuille: Support multi-block SHA256 transforms...
240 2017-07-20T18:29:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2991c91 Pieter Wuille: Add SHA256 dispatcher
241 2017-07-20T18:29:09  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c1ccb15 Pieter Wuille: Add SSE4 based SHA256
242 2017-07-20T18:29:22  *** timothy has quit IRC
243 2017-07-20T18:29:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10821: Add SSE4 optimized SHA256 (master...20170713_shasse) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10821
244 2017-07-20T18:35:08  <sipa> \o/
245 2017-07-20T18:36:10  <instagibbs> jnewbery, gmaxwell re:unlock of wallet, one issue I see is that we have no way(?) of unlocking the wallet as bitcoind startup argument, so if the user hits the minimum they will be stuck aside from heroically fast fingers
246 2017-07-20T18:36:12  <gmaxwell> (so bystanders aren't confused, thats defaulted to off, enabled with a configure flag, in master)
247 2017-07-20T18:36:39  <gmaxwell> instagibbs: yea, it's ugly.
248 2017-07-20T18:36:50  <sipa> instagibbs: it's annoying... we effectively have no means of recovery
249 2017-07-20T18:36:59  <instagibbs> at a minimum, should the wallet.dat get copied and backed up temporarily?
250 2017-07-20T18:37:03  <instagibbs> upon any rescan
251 2017-07-20T18:37:12  <sipa> but i do think that it's better than the alternative (which is making the state even harder to recover from, with also no means of recovery)
252 2017-07-20T18:37:19  <instagibbs> at least allow the user to take the older wallet.dat to some other software
253 2017-07-20T18:37:39  <instagibbs> sipa, im sorry what's the worse idea of the two?
254 2017-07-20T18:37:53  <instagibbs> not scanning forward and missing funds?
255 2017-07-20T18:37:57  <gmaxwell> sipa: if it just won't start syncing with the wallet emptied and locked.. then you could unlock at your leasure.
256 2017-07-20T18:38:28  <sipa> instagibbs: well if you don't stop, it means your wallet will go further out of sync with the chain, which may force you to do a full reindex later (if you're pruning)
257 2017-07-20T18:38:37  <sipa> gmaxwell: yes, if we had support for stopping sync without shutdown, absolutely
258 2017-07-20T18:38:47  <instagibbs> oh, stop syncing wallet but not chain, didn't know what you were talking about
259 2017-07-20T18:38:54  <instagibbs> agreed
260 2017-07-20T18:38:58  <gmaxwell> sipa: I mean it could shut down still but on restart just not start again.
261 2017-07-20T18:39:08  <gmaxwell> It's easier to not start than it is to stop it, I think.
262 2017-07-20T18:39:15  <sipa> gmaxwell: i see, that may be the case yes
263 2017-07-20T18:39:24  <sipa> instagibbs: no, i mean that's what we're currently doing
264 2017-07-20T18:39:41  <sipa> instagibbs: the keypool would go out of sync, and you'd keep syncing, making the wallet go out of sync (while not even being aware of it)
265 2017-07-20T18:39:52  <sipa> so i think stopping when running out is a strict improvement
266 2017-07-20T18:40:01  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
267 2017-07-20T18:40:07  <sipa> but it's far from a complete solution
268 2017-07-20T18:40:11  <instagibbs> wait it's already doing that?
269 2017-07-20T18:40:20  <instagibbs> :(
270 2017-07-20T18:40:25  <instagibbs> ok then
271 2017-07-20T18:40:26  <BlueMatt> sipa: do you know offhand what the performance difference between the sse4 sha256 and the avx1 sha256 impls are?
272 2017-07-20T18:40:34  <sipa> BlueMatt: small
273 2017-07-20T18:40:39  <sipa> instagibbs: that's the problem we're trying to solve, no?
274 2017-07-20T18:40:46  <instagibbs> sipa, I thought it was adding a "min" level
275 2017-07-20T18:40:52  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: AVX1 is a performance disaster on AMD and hardly faster on intel.
276 2017-07-20T18:40:56  <instagibbs> which is separate from the "total"
277 2017-07-20T18:41:11  <sipa> instagibbs: i'm confused
278 2017-07-20T18:41:11  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: hmm, ok, i was just trying to figure if i should remove the avx1 patch i have in fibre or leave it
279 2017-07-20T18:41:15  <instagibbs> < 500 of 1000, topup vs 1000 of 1000 topup
280 2017-07-20T18:41:28  <wumpus> BlueMatt: https://github.com/laanwj/bitcoin/tree/2016_05_sha256_accel readme.md has some benchmarks
281 2017-07-20T18:41:33  <instagibbs> sipa, I'm probably just horribly confused about how the wallet currently operates
282 2017-07-20T18:41:47  <wumpus> but yes, on most cpus there's hardly or no difference
283 2017-07-20T18:42:02  <wumpus> and when there is a big difference it's SLOW
284 2017-07-20T18:42:23  <BlueMatt> wumpus: ok, so, unless i get some rorx CPUs, just use sse4 and wait till there's shani
285 2017-07-20T18:42:32  <sipa> shani is awesome
286 2017-07-20T18:42:37  <instagibbs> sipa, right now the PR makes it shut down when you are below a new argument, default of 500
287 2017-07-20T18:42:39  <sipa> it's 5.5x faster than sse4 here
288 2017-07-20T18:42:43  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2017-07-20T18:42:44  <BlueMatt> lol, nice
290 2017-07-20T18:42:45  <sipa> sorry, 4.5x
291 2017-07-20T18:42:47  <wumpus> the rorx implementations are a little bit faster
292 2017-07-20T18:42:56  <BlueMatt> so, fibre servers will use that in....5 years?
293 2017-07-20T18:43:00  <wumpus> but yes, -ni is definitely what to go for
294 2017-07-20T18:43:15  <BlueMatt> yea, I'm just limited by what random cheap hosting providers have available
295 2017-07-20T18:43:15  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: broadwell-ep
296 2017-07-20T18:43:18  <gmaxwell> +Impl         | avg        | speed%
297 2017-07-20T18:43:18  <gmaxwell> +------------ | ---------- | --------
298 2017-07-20T18:43:18  <gmaxwell> +basic |0.00599851   | 100
299 2017-07-20T18:43:18  <gmaxwell> +sse4  |0.00396052   | 151
300 2017-07-20T18:43:18  <gmaxwell> +avx   |0.00397483   | 151
301 2017-07-20T18:43:20  <gmaxwell> +rorx  |0.00334802   | 179
302 2017-07-20T18:43:21  <sipa> BlueMatt: shani makes my reindex to 450k time go from 4900s to 4200s
303 2017-07-20T18:43:23  <gmaxwell> +rorx_x8ms | 0.00328667  | 183
304 2017-07-20T18:43:56  *** name has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2017-07-20T18:44:03  <gmaxwell> sipa: do you have a table like that for your system with shani on it?
306 2017-07-20T18:44:10  <sipa> i had, somewhere
307 2017-07-20T18:44:19  <sipa> it's probably in your PM history with me
308 2017-07-20T18:45:05  <sipa> SHA256_32b_avx,4,0.464040040969849,0.464066028594971,0.464053034782410,1670543604,1670636664,1670590134
309 2017-07-20T18:45:15  <sipa> SHA256_32b_basic,4,0.298919439315796,0.298947453498840,0.298933446407318,1076109714,1076210442,1076160078
310 2017-07-20T18:45:25  <sipa> SHA256_32b_rorx,6,0.215215563774109,0.216080069541931,0.215623021125793,774776664,777886704,776242368
311 2017-07-20T18:46:03  *** chjj has quit IRC
312 2017-07-20T18:46:10  <sipa> SHA256_32b_rorx8,4,0.460553050041199,0.460564017295837,0.460558533668518,1657989792,1658029986,1658009889
313 2017-07-20T18:46:48  <sipa> SHA256_32b_shani,16,0.064792513847351,0.065104484558105,0.064978063106537,233253936,234375822,233920892
314 2017-07-20T18:46:55  <sipa> SHA256_32b_sse4,6,0.230213999748230,0.230278015136719,0.230246663093567,828768096,829000080,828886758
315 2017-07-20T18:47:09  <gmaxwell> Thanks.
316 2017-07-20T18:48:11  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
317 2017-07-20T18:48:13  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: I assume we'll add rorx and sha-ni right after branching...
318 2017-07-20T18:48:38  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: yea, would be cool to not carry patches for that on fibre
319 2017-07-20T18:48:39  <sipa> that's already with a patch to make the rorx cases use larger CSHA256 buffers, because they process multiple blocks at once faster
320 2017-07-20T18:48:47  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2017-07-20T18:49:02  <sipa> that patch doesn't affect the performance of others (in fact, it seems to slightly improve it...)
322 2017-07-20T18:49:41  *** nakaluna has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2017-07-20T18:49:53  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: ISTM you'd be better off with what we have in master than what you have now. (IIRC you're using just the AVX not the rorx one)
324 2017-07-20T18:50:44  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: that is correct, yes
325 2017-07-20T18:51:03  *** lichtamberg_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2017-07-20T18:51:28  *** lichtamberg_ is now known as Guest19525
327 2017-07-20T18:51:40  <sipa> i'm afraid we'll need to startup benchmark to determine what sha256 implementation to use :(
328 2017-07-20T18:51:53  <gmaxwell> I don't see why.
329 2017-07-20T18:52:13  <sipa> because rorx8 is presumably faster than sse4 on intel, but slower on amd
330 2017-07-20T18:52:15  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2017-07-20T18:52:40  <gmaxwell> sipa: well we need to try with the multiblock changes, it wasn't a big change before, but good point.
332 2017-07-20T18:52:55  <gmaxwell> sipa: though we could simply check for intel and only use it on intel.
333 2017-07-20T18:53:33  <wumpus> doing a sha256 benchmark at every start seems excessive to me
334 2017-07-20T18:53:49  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2017-07-20T18:54:46  <gmaxwell> I doubt we'll have reason to do so. even if rorx8 is faster only on intel, and enough faster to include, fine.. we'll just check the vendor string.
336 2017-07-20T18:54:59  <sipa> fair
337 2017-07-20T19:00:25  <achow101> meeting?
338 2017-07-20T19:00:41  <gmaxwell> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier
339 2017-07-20T19:00:45  <jonasschnelli> hi
340 2017-07-20T19:00:47  <instagibbs> hi
341 2017-07-20T19:00:49  <wumpus> #startmeeting
342 2017-07-20T19:00:49  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jul 20 19:00:49 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
343 2017-07-20T19:00:49  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
344 2017-07-20T19:00:53  <cfields> hi
345 2017-07-20T19:01:19  <achow101> hi
346 2017-07-20T19:01:27  <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
347 2017-07-20T19:02:10  <sipa> #10882 needs 0.15 tag?
348 2017-07-20T19:02:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10882 | Keypool topup by jnewbery · Pull Request #10882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
349 2017-07-20T19:02:15  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8 has pretty much been cleaned out (only #10652 left), anything new?
350 2017-07-20T19:02:17  <sipa> otherwise, the things with current 0.15 tag?
351 2017-07-20T19:02:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10652 | Small step towards demangling cs_main from CNodeState by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #10652 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
352 2017-07-20T19:02:29  <gmaxwell> ACK for 10882 0.15 tag
353 2017-07-20T19:02:36  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.15.0
354 2017-07-20T19:02:46  <BlueMatt> 10652 can lose its 15 tag
355 2017-07-20T19:03:10  <BlueMatt> #10758 really wants review sooner rather than later
356 2017-07-20T19:03:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10758 | Fix some chainstate-init-order bugs. by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #10758 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
357 2017-07-20T19:03:34  <cfields> i'd say #10821 needs high prio review if it's going in for 0.15, though it's got a bunch of ACKs already
358 2017-07-20T19:03:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10821 | Add SSE4 optimized SHA256 by sipa · Pull Request #10821 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
359 2017-07-20T19:03:49  <instagibbs> cfields, it got merged..
360 2017-07-20T19:03:50  <jonasschnelli> cfields: it's merged
361 2017-07-20T19:03:52  <wumpus> 10821 is merged
362 2017-07-20T19:04:05  <cfields> hah
363 2017-07-20T19:04:08  <wumpus> there's virtually no regression risk as it's disabled by default
364 2017-07-20T19:04:12  <kanzure> hi.
365 2017-07-20T19:04:20  * cfields refreshes
366 2017-07-20T19:05:28  *** ovovo is now known as owowo
367 2017-07-20T19:05:46  <wumpus> ok, added #10758 to project 8, and #10882 to 0.15
368 2017-07-20T19:05:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10758 | Fix some chainstate-init-order bugs. by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #10758 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
369 2017-07-20T19:05:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10882 | Keypool topup by jnewbery · Pull Request #10882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
370 2017-07-20T19:06:45  <wumpus> #10652 was already untagged for 0.15 2 days ago
371 2017-07-20T19:06:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10652 | Small step towards demangling cs_main from CNodeState by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #10652 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
372 2017-07-20T19:06:56  <BlueMatt> good :)
373 2017-07-20T19:07:40  <wumpus> other topics?
374 2017-07-20T19:07:49  *** btcdrak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2017-07-20T19:08:08  <BlueMatt> Make 0.15 Great Again!
376 2017-07-20T19:08:20  <achow101> forks! forks! forks!
377 2017-07-20T19:08:21  <instagibbs> 10882 halting condition
378 2017-07-20T19:08:34  <gmaxwell> 10882 halting problem.
379 2017-07-20T19:08:38  <instagibbs> so, there's gotta be something better than "load your wallet in an older bitcoin instance"
380 2017-07-20T19:08:39  <sipa> i'd like to bring up #10526
381 2017-07-20T19:08:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10526 | Force on-the-fly compaction during pertxout upgrade by sipa · Pull Request #10526 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
382 2017-07-20T19:08:44  <btcdrak> hi
383 2017-07-20T19:08:45  <instagibbs> oh sorry il lwait for topic
384 2017-07-20T19:09:03  <wumpus> about 2.5 weeks to go before projected 0.15 split-off
385 2017-07-20T19:09:20  <wumpus> #topic Force on-the-fly compaction during pertxout upgrade
386 2017-07-20T19:09:24  <gmaxwell> master is too reliable.
387 2017-07-20T19:09:39  <sipa> so, the 0.15 per-txout database needs conversion on first startup
388 2017-07-20T19:09:53  <sipa> this has the risk of leveldb leaving the old tables around
389 2017-07-20T19:10:05  *** rhavar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
390 2017-07-20T19:10:23  <sipa> leaving you with a 4.something GB chainstate rather than 2.something
391 2017-07-20T19:10:26  <wumpus> did anyone see any difference with that merged?
392 2017-07-20T19:10:36  <sipa> i did - i don't know if anyone else tried
393 2017-07-20T19:10:48  <sipa> but it's pretty worrying if it doesn't work deterministically
394 2017-07-20T19:11:04  <wumpus> did it make a difference for you? any idea what happened in my case?
395 2017-07-20T19:11:26  *** BashCo has quit IRC
396 2017-07-20T19:11:30  <sipa> wumpus: no...
397 2017-07-20T19:11:52  <sipa> it did make a difference for me, yes, as far as i remember
398 2017-07-20T19:12:00  <sipa> i'll investigate again and rebase
399 2017-07-20T19:12:03  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2017-07-20T19:12:12  <sipa> probably not much else to say
401 2017-07-20T19:12:32  <wumpus> can anyone else try, please? I think it makes a lot of sense to have it in 0.15, *if* it works :)
402 2017-07-20T19:12:37  <sipa> agree.
403 2017-07-20T19:12:39  <sipa> will rebase
404 2017-07-20T19:12:48  <wumpus> will tag it
405 2017-07-20T19:13:19  <wumpus> #action test #10526
406 2017-07-20T19:13:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10526 | Force on-the-fly compaction during pertxout upgrade by sipa · Pull Request #10526 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
407 2017-07-20T19:13:30  <gmaxwell> wumpus: I thought there might have been something weird about your test; hardlinked database directories or something
408 2017-07-20T19:13:45  <wumpus> gmaxwell: not hard-linked directories, just individual files
409 2017-07-20T19:14:49  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
410 2017-07-20T19:15:21  <wumpus> e.g. I use https://gist.github.com/laanwj/3c4614a23e072cbb3d39090da1834a68 to make copies - but not sure how it could cause the problem
411 2017-07-20T19:15:32  <sipa> i don't see that either
412 2017-07-20T19:15:54  <wumpus> but sure I could copy the ldb files instead and retry
413 2017-07-20T19:16:05  <gmaxwell> Unrelated, does anyone have a point of contact with '1Hash' (or whomever was the author of block 476670)
414 2017-07-20T19:16:13  <gmaxwell> ?
415 2017-07-20T19:16:41  <wumpus> no, no idea
416 2017-07-20T19:17:00  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
417 2017-07-20T19:17:00  <btcdrak> gmaxwell:  I do
418 2017-07-20T19:17:21  *** name has quit IRC
419 2017-07-20T19:18:17  <gmaxwell> btcdrak: thanks.
420 2017-07-20T19:18:29  <wumpus> #topic 10882 halting condition
421 2017-07-20T19:19:30  <jnewbery> instagibbs ?
422 2017-07-20T19:19:35  <instagibbs> I think users need some sane way of recovering from their wallet hitting topup
423 2017-07-20T19:20:08  <instagibbs> and their node shutting down, since the user cannot recover using the current software
424 2017-07-20T19:20:51  <instagibbs> sorry, don't have great solutions, just bringing it up because I'd like it merged
425 2017-07-20T19:21:25  <instagibbs> (for encrypted wallets, obviously)
426 2017-07-20T19:21:50  <gmaxwell> My suggestion is the although stoping the sync was hard, preventing it from starting may be easy.
427 2017-07-20T19:22:15  <gmaxwell> so if you start with a locked tip-behind wallet, that doesn't have enough keys, it could just not start the sync until unlocked.
428 2017-07-20T19:22:22  <gmaxwell> but I haven't investigated.
429 2017-07-20T19:22:38  <wumpus> sounds good to me
430 2017-07-20T19:22:49  <gmaxwell> instagibbs: Sipa's point was that an unrecoverable always shuts down state is STILL better than what we do now.
431 2017-07-20T19:23:01  <gmaxwell> because you at least won't end up with a silently screwed up wallet.
432 2017-07-20T19:23:21  <jnewbery> There are a couple of solutions that I hope we could get into v0.15.1 : dynamic loading of wallets with the option to unlock on load (#10740) and a standalone wallet tool with option to topup (#8745)
433 2017-07-20T19:23:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10740 | [WIP] [wallet] dynamic loading/unloading of wallets by jnewbery · Pull Request #10740 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
434 2017-07-20T19:23:23  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8745 | [PoC] Add wallet inspection and modification tool "bitcoin-wallet-tool" by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #8745 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
435 2017-07-20T19:23:41  <instagibbs> gmaxwell, mmm sure, conveying actionable info is still a requirement, though this may be off topic for meeting
436 2017-07-20T19:23:55  <wumpus> dynamic loading is a feature, that won't make it into 0.15.1
437 2017-07-20T19:25:03  *** Murch has quit IRC
438 2017-07-20T19:25:37  <wumpus> (but will to 0.16, ofc)
439 2017-07-20T19:25:52  <instagibbs> jnewbery, oh optional unlock on load, nice, will look
440 2017-07-20T19:26:32  <jnewbery> it's not in 10740 yet, but hopefully not too difficult to add
441 2017-07-20T19:26:36  <instagibbs> ok, well if it's not super pressing to anyone else, whatever. I don't run crypted anyways :)
442 2017-07-20T19:27:02  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
443 2017-07-20T19:27:10  <wumpus> suddeny crashing on startup w/ the wallet effectively being unusable is unacceptable at least
444 2017-07-20T19:27:41  <gmaxwell> I think it's preferable to current behavior where the wallet is effectively silently corrupted.
445 2017-07-20T19:28:03  <BlueMatt> well its fixable with rescan
446 2017-07-20T19:28:09  <sipa> BlueMatt: no
447 2017-07-20T19:28:15  <sipa> it'll fail to load
448 2017-07-20T19:28:24  <instagibbs> sipa, ?
449 2017-07-20T19:28:29  <BlueMatt> i was responding to greg's "silently corrupted" comment
450 2017-07-20T19:28:36  <sipa> oh, ok
451 2017-07-20T19:28:40  <wumpus> forcing a rescan would be somewhat better
452 2017-07-20T19:28:40  <wumpus> but just crashing will lead people to do things like salvagewallet and worse
453 2017-07-20T19:28:58  <instagibbs> nvm
454 2017-07-20T19:29:00  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: fixable somehow doesn't mean not silently corrupted though. since it's silent you won't know to rescan.
455 2017-07-20T19:29:04  <gmaxwell> wumpus good point.
456 2017-07-20T19:29:11  <gmaxwell> in any case, lets see what we can do with the PR.
457 2017-07-20T19:29:12  <BlueMatt> fair
458 2017-07-20T19:29:14  *** tiagotrs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
459 2017-07-20T19:29:31  <gmaxwell> (there were people running salvage wallet in response to the 50/100 warning... :( :( )
460 2017-07-20T19:29:42  <BlueMatt> holy what the fuck
461 2017-07-20T19:29:58  <gmaxwell> Humans.
462 2017-07-20T19:30:08  <wumpus> yes, at least if it crashes it should tell something actionable to do, not just leave the user to dry
463 2017-07-20T19:30:27  <jnewbery> Yes, the current error message is "Error: Keypool is too small. Shutting down"
464 2017-07-20T19:30:33  <jnewbery> which isn't helpful enough
465 2017-07-20T19:30:35  <instagibbs> startingly vague
466 2017-07-20T19:30:38  <wumpus> not helpful at all
467 2017-07-20T19:30:45  <instagibbs> salvagewallet may seem reasonable in response
468 2017-07-20T19:30:55  <wumpus> they'll try providing a larger -keypool
469 2017-07-20T19:30:57  <wumpus> which doesn't help
470 2017-07-20T19:30:59  <instagibbs> "my keys disappeared!"
471 2017-07-20T19:31:00  <gmaxwell> Any time we create a warning or an error condition that a user can't suppress a few people will do increasingly insane things to try to get it to go away.
472 2017-07-20T19:31:05  <jnewbery> suggested action for user could be: set "-keypoolmin to 0 and then rescan"?
473 2017-07-20T19:31:06  <wumpus> yes, 'core nuked my wallet!'
474 2017-07-20T19:31:25  <sipa> jnewbery: and unlock beforehand
475 2017-07-20T19:31:28  <gmaxwell> jnewbery: no, that'll just corrupt their wallet. (they'll end up scanning past the end)
476 2017-07-20T19:31:36  <gmaxwell> they need to unlock before.
477 2017-07-20T19:31:50  <wumpus> ideally this would just be automated
478 2017-07-20T19:31:56  <wumpus> if there is a course of recovery
479 2017-07-20T19:32:01  <jnewbery> ok: "set -keypoolmin to 0, unlock wallet, rescan"
480 2017-07-20T19:32:01  <jtimon> my keypool is too small? isn't this just a warning because I resuse addresses and they want me to create more new ones?
481 2017-07-20T19:32:03  <gmaxwell> I guess you can keypoolmin, restart, unlock, and restart with rescan.
482 2017-07-20T19:32:11  <jtimon> sorry, bad joke
483 2017-07-20T19:32:48  <gmaxwell> or we find out if we can just suppress the scanstart until unlock, then it just needs to nag you to unlock.
484 2017-07-20T19:33:01  <wumpus> would be nice
485 2017-07-20T19:33:20  <instagibbs> if error messages are more helpful, and there is a manual method of recovery, I'm fine with it for now
486 2017-07-20T19:33:28  <wumpus> sure
487 2017-07-20T19:33:40  *** ayy1337|2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
488 2017-07-20T19:33:42  *** Murch has quit IRC
489 2017-07-20T19:33:53  <wumpus> if this is a rare condition, and explaining what to do is easier than automating it, that would be acceptable for 0.15
490 2017-07-20T19:34:01  <jnewbery> ok, I'll improve the error message. PR could still do with lots of review
491 2017-07-20T19:34:17  <instagibbs> Great!
492 2017-07-20T19:34:28  <sipa> note that all of this can only ever occur when restoring a wallet backup in the first place
493 2017-07-20T19:34:44  <wumpus> #action review #10882
494 2017-07-20T19:34:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10882 | Keypool topup by jnewbery · Pull Request #10882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
495 2017-07-20T19:35:24  <wumpus> the more important not to scare people with unrecoverable errors
496 2017-07-20T19:35:41  *** unholymachine has quit IRC
497 2017-07-20T19:36:15  <gmaxwell> if people can't tell what to do in order to get rid of the error, they'll do something dangerous eventually, after trying a few safe but unsuccessful things.
498 2017-07-20T19:36:33  <gmaxwell> I wonder how many people have died due to blinking 12 on VCRs.
499 2017-07-20T19:36:50  <wumpus> they'll escalate to worse and worse things
500 2017-07-20T19:36:54  <wumpus> heh
501 2017-07-20T19:36:57  *** unholymachine has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
502 2017-07-20T19:38:14  <sipa> well improving the error message at least would be a start
503 2017-07-20T19:38:54  <wumpus> yes, that would be good
504 2017-07-20T19:39:05  <sipa> but i agree more is needed
505 2017-07-20T19:39:26  <jnewbery> It's a shame all the wallet initialization stuff is so coupled to node initialization. Hopefully we can make some good progress with that in 0.16. That'd make issues like this a lot easier to deal with.
506 2017-07-20T19:39:34  <sipa> jnewbery: yeah
507 2017-07-20T19:39:57  <wumpus> it is a shame indeed
508 2017-07-20T19:40:22  <wumpus> although it's better than it used to be
509 2017-07-20T19:40:56  <wumpus> but both multiwallet and this are good reasons to make further progress with it in 0.16
510 2017-07-20T19:41:34  <wumpus> any other topics?
511 2017-07-20T19:43:40  <wumpus> ... I guess not, we can end the meeting early
512 2017-07-20T19:44:01  <wumpus> #endmeeting
513 2017-07-20T19:44:01  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jul 20 19:44:01 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
514 2017-07-20T19:44:01  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-07-20-19.00.html
515 2017-07-20T19:44:01  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-07-20-19.00.txt
516 2017-07-20T19:44:01  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-07-20-19.00.log.html
517 2017-07-20T19:44:17  <instagibbs> "activate segwit" maybe not so much of a joke this time :)
518 2017-07-20T19:44:31  <sipa> may be the fork be with you
519 2017-07-20T19:44:35  <sipa> always
520 2017-07-20T19:45:06  <wumpus> it was never a joke :)
521 2017-07-20T19:45:54  <cfields> instagibbs: whew, good thing we don't have to talk about a UASF to activate BIP91 :p
522 2017-07-20T19:46:12  <instagibbs> we still have time!
523 2017-07-20T19:46:16  <kanzure> should there be a reorgs warning about bip91 and possible partial activation
524 2017-07-20T19:46:46  <kanzure> ?
525 2017-07-20T19:46:50  <instagibbs> bitcoincore.org could have something like bitcoin.org's warning
526 2017-07-20T19:46:52  <instagibbs> btcdrak, ?
527 2017-07-20T19:47:01  <Chris_Stewart_5> kanzure: that is what I was wondering too
528 2017-07-20T19:47:03  <kanzure> the bitcoin.org warning was about aug1?
529 2017-07-20T19:47:06  <instagibbs> oh right
530 2017-07-20T19:47:10  <kanzure> well i don't know.
531 2017-07-20T19:47:16  <gmaxwell> premature.
532 2017-07-20T19:47:29  <gmaxwell> we should look again a day after 91 lockin.
533 2017-07-20T19:47:41  <kanzure> is there signalling during the lock in period?
534 2017-07-20T19:47:48  <gmaxwell> it may be at that point ~100% hashrate is setting bit 1 and there will be little reason to warn more.
535 2017-07-20T19:47:51  <sipa> bip9 specifies that there should
536 2017-07-20T19:48:01  <kanzure> well okay then.
537 2017-07-20T19:48:18  <jtimon> sipa: but it is not required, is it?
538 2017-07-20T19:48:32  <gmaxwell> if its still 50% hashrate setting bit1 at that point, there will need to be a warning.
539 2017-07-20T19:48:50  <sipa> jtimon: it is not consensus enforced
540 2017-07-20T19:49:00  <btcdrak> instagibbs: sorry battery died
541 2017-07-20T19:49:18  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
542 2017-07-20T19:50:24  <jtimon> I don't see why specify that then, it doesn't make any difference, does it? not even the warnings need it, do they?
543 2017-07-20T19:51:30  <sipa> jtimon: it's helpful to be able to observe how the adoption goes
544 2017-07-20T19:51:57  <jtimon> oh, I see
545 2017-07-20T19:55:28  *** tiagotrs has quit IRC
546 2017-07-20T19:56:57  <instagibbs> how do I trigger a rescan inside -cli?(outside of importing a key/addr...)
547 2017-07-20T19:57:04  <instagibbs> sorry for #bitcoin level q, testing
548 2017-07-20T19:57:40  *** name has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2017-07-20T19:57:46  *** name has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2017-07-20T19:58:28  <jonasschnelli> instagibbs: impossibke
551 2017-07-20T19:58:41  <sipa> isn't there a rescanchain RPC?
552 2017-07-20T19:58:49  <sipa> or was that in an unmerged PR?
553 2017-07-20T19:58:51  <instagibbs> so... I have to import a junk key to recover? oh boi
554 2017-07-20T19:58:51  <jonasschnelli> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7061
555 2017-07-20T19:58:55  <jonasschnelli> But unmerged
556 2017-07-20T19:58:56  *** aqquadro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
557 2017-07-20T19:59:02  <sipa> oh
558 2017-07-20T19:59:10  *** aqquadro has quit IRC
559 2017-07-20T19:59:11  <jonasschnelli> I think RPC makes much more sense then -argument
560 2017-07-20T19:59:25  <jonasschnelli> Will rebase soon
561 2017-07-20T19:59:36  *** name has quit IRC
562 2017-07-20T20:00:03  *** aqquadro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
563 2017-07-20T20:00:03  *** aqquadro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2017-07-20T20:02:00  <instagibbs> ah! walletpassphrase calls topup, and rescan works. Ok.
565 2017-07-20T20:05:08  *** ulrich has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2017-07-20T20:09:55  *** ulrich has quit IRC
567 2017-07-20T20:12:07  *** aqquadro has quit IRC
568 2017-07-20T20:19:05  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
569 2017-07-20T20:22:26  *** owowo has quit IRC
570 2017-07-20T20:27:02  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2017-07-20T20:27:38  <Guest19525> shouldnt there be a better warning for "“unknown block versions being mine”
572 2017-07-20T20:27:46  <Guest19525> ?
573 2017-07-20T20:30:55  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
574 2017-07-20T20:32:51  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
575 2017-07-20T20:33:14  *** chjj has quit IRC
576 2017-07-20T20:46:00  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
577 2017-07-20T20:46:08  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
578 2017-07-20T20:48:55  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2017-07-20T21:08:26  <jnewbery> wumpus: Any chance of #10604 being tagged 0.15?
580 2017-07-20T21:08:29  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10604 | [wallet] [tests] Add listwallets RPC, include wallet name in `getwalletinfo` and add multiwallet test by jnewbery · Pull Request #10604 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
581 2017-07-20T21:12:26  <wumpus> jnewbery: tagged
582 2017-07-20T21:12:41  *** RoyceX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2017-07-20T21:14:57  <wumpus> (don't know if it's going to be controversial because it adds RPC stuff after the feature freeze, but it seems pretty simple straightforward)
584 2017-07-20T21:15:12  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2017-07-20T21:15:50  *** cheese_ has quit IRC
586 2017-07-20T21:16:20  <wumpus> ...and doesn't add translation messages
587 2017-07-20T21:16:55  <jnewbery> thanks. It had plenty of ACKs while we were settling on the multiwallet API. Trivial rebase
588 2017-07-20T21:17:11  <sipa> can i haz review on https://github.com/bitcoin-core/leveldb/pull/5 and https://github.com/bitcoin-core/leveldb/pull/10 ?
589 2017-07-20T21:17:30  *** RoyceX has quit IRC
590 2017-07-20T21:17:52  <jnewbery> speaking of translations, #10882 has some translations strings. Is that going to be an issue?
591 2017-07-20T21:17:54  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10882 | Keypool topup by jnewbery · Pull Request #10882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
592 2017-07-20T21:20:28  <wumpus> jnewbery: it's increasingly unlikely that they're going to be translated before the 0.15 release
593 2017-07-20T21:24:38  <jnewbery> ok, but that doesn't block the PR from going in?
594 2017-07-20T21:26:55  <wumpus> blah according to the release schedule it should, it's too late to change messages, but anyhow having the functionality untranslated is better than not having it at all in this case I guess?
595 2017-07-20T21:29:09  <wumpus> that's the consideration that needs to be made, the message freeze is there to give the translators time, and thus increase the quality of the translations, but that might not matter for last-minute fixes
596 2017-07-20T21:29:56  <wumpus> would be stupid to leave the walllet in a broken state just because we can't add a translation emssage
597 2017-07-20T21:30:24  <jnewbery> ok good. 10882 is now mostly waiting on review. So far I have comments from instagibbs and ryanofsky
598 2017-07-20T21:35:40  *** QBcrusher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2017-07-20T21:37:37  *** chjj has quit IRC
600 2017-07-20T21:39:25  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/6adc3a37324caa07015368bfe8529e1964366eef
601 2017-07-20T21:39:25  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6adc3a3 Wladimir J. van der Laan: qt: Periodic translations update...
602 2017-07-20T21:49:39  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
603 2017-07-20T21:50:13  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
604 2017-07-20T21:55:42  *** coredump_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
605 2017-07-20T22:10:04  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
606 2017-07-20T22:20:11  *** aqquadro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2017-07-20T22:20:11  *** aqquadro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
608 2017-07-20T22:28:44  *** coredump_ has quit IRC
609 2017-07-20T22:28:48  *** Guest19525 has quit IRC
610 2017-07-20T22:30:49  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
611 2017-07-20T22:33:20  *** corebob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
612 2017-07-20T22:37:37  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
613 2017-07-20T22:37:47  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2017-07-20T22:46:50  *** MeshCollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2017-07-20T22:48:26  *** MeshCollider has quit IRC
616 2017-07-20T22:48:44  *** MeshCollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
617 2017-07-20T22:49:27  *** aqquadro has quit IRC
618 2017-07-20T22:52:44  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
619 2017-07-20T22:53:11  *** nakaluna has quit IRC
620 2017-07-20T22:53:13  *** lichtamberg_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
621 2017-07-20T22:53:23  *** MeshCollider has quit IRC
622 2017-07-20T22:53:28  *** Mesh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
623 2017-07-20T22:53:38  *** lichtamberg_ is now known as Guest98786
624 2017-07-20T22:53:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
625 2017-07-20T22:57:04  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
626 2017-07-20T22:57:35  *** btcdrak has quit IRC
627 2017-07-20T22:58:09  *** Mesh has quit IRC
628 2017-07-20T22:58:50  *** Mesh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
629 2017-07-20T23:00:11  *** MeshCollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
630 2017-07-20T23:00:22  *** MeshCollider has quit IRC
631 2017-07-20T23:02:31  *** Mesh has quit IRC
632 2017-07-20T23:11:59  *** BashCo has quit IRC
633 2017-07-20T23:12:42  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2017-07-20T23:14:47  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
635 2017-07-20T23:17:47  *** coredump_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
636 2017-07-20T23:24:29  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
637 2017-07-20T23:32:15  *** tucenaber has quit IRC
638 2017-07-20T23:36:43  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
639 2017-07-20T23:38:49  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
640 2017-07-20T23:39:24  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
641 2017-07-20T23:49:43  *** owowo has quit IRC
642 2017-07-20T23:53:18  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
643 2017-07-20T23:53:42  *** ula has quit IRC
644 2017-07-20T23:53:52  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
645 2017-07-20T23:58:50  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev