1 2017-09-14T00:00:47  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   2 2017-09-14T00:01:12  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   3 2017-09-14T00:06:42  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   4 2017-09-14T00:08:35  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   5 2017-09-14T00:11:07  *** Aaronva__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   6 2017-09-14T00:12:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
   7 2017-09-14T00:12:48  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
   8 2017-09-14T00:13:19  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
   9 2017-09-14T00:23:23  *** Aaronva__ has quit IRC
  10 2017-09-14T00:23:59  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  11 2017-09-14T00:28:01  *** JackH has quit IRC
  12 2017-09-14T00:32:21  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
  13 2017-09-14T00:36:08  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
  14 2017-09-14T00:41:58  *** promag has quit IRC
  15 2017-09-14T00:47:17  *** belcher has quit IRC
  16 2017-09-14T00:48:55  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  17 2017-09-14T00:49:21  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
  18 2017-09-14T00:51:28  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  19 2017-09-14T00:53:22  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
  20 2017-09-14T00:56:57  *** ula has quit IRC
  21 2017-09-14T01:00:32  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  22 2017-09-14T01:01:18  *** jimpo_ has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  23 2017-09-14T01:03:01  *** zmin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  24 2017-09-14T01:03:59  *** PRab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  25 2017-09-14T01:04:57  *** promag has quit IRC
  26 2017-09-14T01:08:35  *** jimpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  27 2017-09-14T01:15:51  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  28 2017-09-14T01:16:16  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  29 2017-09-14T01:16:51  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  30 2017-09-14T01:19:18  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  31 2017-09-14T01:34:56  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  32 2017-09-14T01:37:54  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  33 2017-09-14T01:38:05  *** zmin has quit IRC
  34 2017-09-14T01:43:53  *** Murch has quit IRC
  35 2017-09-14T01:50:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] OrfanMiner opened pull request #11325: Corrected year (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11325
  36 2017-09-14T01:51:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #11325: Corrected year (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11325
  37 2017-09-14T01:55:24  *** intcat has quit IRC
  38 2017-09-14T01:55:44  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  39 2017-09-14T01:57:10  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  40 2017-09-14T01:58:52  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  41 2017-09-14T02:05:52  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  42 2017-09-14T02:08:23  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  43 2017-09-14T02:10:05  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
  44 2017-09-14T02:15:28  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  45 2017-09-14T02:15:51  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  46 2017-09-14T02:17:59  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  47 2017-09-14T02:23:17  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  48 2017-09-14T02:23:52  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  49 2017-09-14T02:26:10  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
  50 2017-09-14T02:36:46  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
  51 2017-09-14T02:37:39  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  52 2017-09-14T02:42:08  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  53 2017-09-14T02:44:27  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  54 2017-09-14T02:48:39  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  55 2017-09-14T02:49:36  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
  56 2017-09-14T02:51:58  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  57 2017-09-14T02:52:57  *** promag has quit IRC
  58 2017-09-14T03:01:05  *** tknp has quit IRC
  59 2017-09-14T03:01:45  *** afk11 has quit IRC
  60 2017-09-14T03:01:58  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  61 2017-09-14T03:16:44  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
  62 2017-09-14T03:55:34  *** arubi has quit IRC
  63 2017-09-14T03:56:07  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  64 2017-09-14T03:56:53  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  65 2017-09-14T04:11:51  *** tknp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  66 2017-09-14T04:37:03  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  67 2017-09-14T04:41:26  *** promag has quit IRC
  68 2017-09-14T04:47:59  *** lifeofguenter has quit IRC
  69 2017-09-14T04:48:50  *** lifeofguenter has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  70 2017-09-14T05:10:10  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  71 2017-09-14T05:14:43  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
  72 2017-09-14T05:15:08  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  73 2017-09-14T05:26:08  *** gribble has quit IRC
  74 2017-09-14T05:27:05  *** go1111111 has quit IRC
  75 2017-09-14T05:29:03  *** go1111111 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  76 2017-09-14T05:33:00  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  77 2017-09-14T05:35:08  *** gribble has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  78 2017-09-14T05:54:43  *** tknp has quit IRC
  79 2017-09-14T06:25:05  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  80 2017-09-14T06:29:14  *** promag has quit IRC
  81 2017-09-14T06:40:08  *** crypto_rob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  82 2017-09-14T06:40:58  *** crypto_rob has quit IRC
  83 2017-09-14T06:55:45  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
  84 2017-09-14T06:56:10  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  85 2017-09-14T07:01:02  <mryandao> heya, while running bitcoind in docker, i tried to symlink debug.log to /dev/stderr and bitcoind crashed when a boost function tried to read the path, is that expected behaviour?
  86 2017-09-14T07:02:59  <NicolasDorier> Running bitcoin-core-0.15.0/test.rc3 on one of my server, getting "2017-09-14 06:55:48 socket send error The operation completed successfully.  (0)"  in logs _without_ debug=net. Then the connection drop to the peer. My peer is a NBitcoin peer, and I could not reproduce the error on the same 0.15.0/test.rc3 running on my machine.
  87 2017-09-14T07:03:27  <NicolasDorier> "socket send error The operation completed successfully. (0)", interesting message at least...
  88 2017-09-14T07:19:39  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  89 2017-09-14T07:23:45  *** promag has quit IRC
  90 2017-09-14T07:25:34  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  91 2017-09-14T07:29:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  92 2017-09-14T07:38:03  <promag> Can I have some feedback here #11316?
  93 2017-09-14T07:38:04  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11316 | [qt] Add use available balance in send coins dialog by promag · Pull Request #11316 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
  94 2017-09-14T07:39:34  *** promag has quit IRC
  95 2017-09-14T07:41:46  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
  96 2017-09-14T07:43:15  <NicolasDorier> mmh I doubt the bug comes from bitcoin core actually
  97 2017-09-14T07:56:56  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  98 2017-09-14T08:00:12  *** cryptorob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  99 2017-09-14T08:06:38  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 100 2017-09-14T08:07:19  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 101 2017-09-14T08:07:28  *** cryptorob has quit IRC
 102 2017-09-14T08:10:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11326: Fix crash on shutdown with invalid wallet (master...201709_shutdown_crash) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11326
 103 2017-09-14T08:10:55  <meshcollider> thats such a small fix it doesn't even feel right to make a whole PR lol
 104 2017-09-14T08:24:48  *** pbase has quit IRC
 105 2017-09-14T08:29:06  <earlz> How exactly do you debug the bitcoin-qt on 64bit windows? I know the gitian builds produce both the binaries and debug symbols, but not sure what the best way to debug a crash is
 106 2017-09-14T08:29:44  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 107 2017-09-14T08:31:01  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 108 2017-09-14T08:52:39  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 109 2017-09-14T08:54:59  *** timothy has quit IRC
 110 2017-09-14T08:55:19  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 111 2017-09-14T08:55:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 112 2017-09-14T08:58:33  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 113 2017-09-14T09:04:48  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 114 2017-09-14T09:11:17  <wumpus> earlz: the debug symbols can be used in combination with the stack trace and a memory map to find out what symbol was involved. I don't know of any way to do debugging *on* windows sanely, there's a mingw gdb but I don't think it works very well
 115 2017-09-14T09:13:31  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 116 2017-09-14T09:13:57  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 117 2017-09-14T09:14:47  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 118 2017-09-14T09:26:38  <promag> wdyt return txid in signrawtransaction? (at least if complete)
 119 2017-09-14T09:28:00  <promag> there is this pattern decoderaw(signraw().hex).txid
 120 2017-09-14T09:28:22  <promag> could be simplified to signraw().txid
 121 2017-09-14T09:30:06  <wumpus> could be, though I always run decoderaw after signraw anyhow, to check the transaction one last time before broadcasting it
 122 2017-09-14T09:31:27  <wumpus> so it wouldn't help me at least - but if you think many would be helped by having txid on signrawtransaction output object why not open a PR
 123 2017-09-14T09:32:11  *** victorSN has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 124 2017-09-14T09:33:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 125 2017-09-14T09:33:30  <wumpus> also, sendrawtransaction(hex) returns the txid - so you really need the txid before broadcasting the transaction?
 126 2017-09-14T09:34:02  <wumpus> or is this useful if you use an alternative way to broadcast transactions
 127 2017-09-14T09:34:29  <promag> ah, so in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11167/files#diff-e239d66ea758103213db73bf934d0918R601
 128 2017-09-14T09:34:40  <promag> there is no need to decoderawtransaction
 129 2017-09-14T09:35:48  <wumpus> indeed, it could take the result from sendrawtransaction instead
 130 2017-09-14T09:36:13  <wumpus> this way of working makes sense though if it's testing decoderawtransaction
 131 2017-09-14T09:37:17  <promag> don't think so, if it's testing decoderawtransaction then it's incomplete
 132 2017-09-14T09:37:36  <wumpus> in any case, I don't think we should fix test inconsistencies by changing the API :)
 133 2017-09-14T09:39:35  <promag> no, that's why I asked before opening the PR
 134 2017-09-14T09:40:13  <promag> but having the txid back and forward doesn't sound too bad
 135 2017-09-14T09:42:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7fcd61b2613c...f4ed44ab4a8f
 136 2017-09-14T09:42:41  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master dd36561 Evan Klitzke: Add a lint check for trailing whitespace....
 137 2017-09-14T09:42:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1f379b1 MeshCollider: Add tab char lint check and exclude imported dependencies
 138 2017-09-14T09:42:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f4ed44a MarcoFalke: Merge #11300: Tests: Add a lint check for trailing whitespace...
 139 2017-09-14T09:43:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11300: Tests: Add a lint check for trailing whitespace (master...201709_whitespace_lint) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11300
 140 2017-09-14T09:47:32  *** promag has quit IRC
 141 2017-09-14T10:01:37  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 142 2017-09-14T10:14:48  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
 143 2017-09-14T10:17:25  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 144 2017-09-14T10:21:22  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 145 2017-09-14T10:25:08  *** intcat has quit IRC
 146 2017-09-14T10:25:47  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 147 2017-09-14T10:34:46  *** jannes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 148 2017-09-14T10:34:48  *** BashCo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 149 2017-09-14T10:36:07  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 150 2017-09-14T10:37:52  *** wxxs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 151 2017-09-14T10:37:56  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 152 2017-09-14T10:40:27  *** promag has quit IRC
 153 2017-09-14T10:43:02  *** wxxs has quit IRC
 154 2017-09-14T11:04:05  *** wxxs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 155 2017-09-14T11:06:42  *** StopAndDecrypt_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 156 2017-09-14T11:12:11  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
 157 2017-09-14T11:14:56  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 158 2017-09-14T11:18:57  *** wxxs has quit IRC
 159 2017-09-14T11:26:19  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 160 2017-09-14T11:28:49  *** nelruk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 161 2017-09-14T11:30:17  *** eck_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 162 2017-09-14T11:31:07  *** eck has quit IRC
 163 2017-09-14T11:31:28  *** eck has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 164 2017-09-14T11:34:10  *** promag has quit IRC
 165 2017-09-14T11:54:49  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 166 2017-09-14T11:56:41  *** promag has quit IRC
 167 2017-09-14T11:56:54  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 168 2017-09-14T12:01:43  *** victorSN has quit IRC
 169 2017-09-14T12:03:28  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
 170 2017-09-14T12:04:27  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 171 2017-09-14T12:04:40  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 172 2017-09-14T12:05:10  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 173 2017-09-14T12:05:10  *** afk11 has quit IRC
 174 2017-09-14T12:05:10  *** arubi has quit IRC
 175 2017-09-14T12:05:10  *** intcat has quit IRC
 176 2017-09-14T12:06:57  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 177 2017-09-14T12:07:07  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 178 2017-09-14T12:07:15  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 179 2017-09-14T12:07:39  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 180 2017-09-14T12:10:08  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
 181 2017-09-14T12:13:54  *** victorSN has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 182 2017-09-14T12:14:15  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 183 2017-09-14T12:15:50  *** promag has quit IRC
 184 2017-09-14T12:19:04  *** parazyd has quit IRC
 185 2017-09-14T12:33:34  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 186 2017-09-14T12:36:27  *** victorSN has quit IRC
 187 2017-09-14T12:36:42  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 188 2017-09-14T12:36:48  *** victorSN has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 189 2017-09-14T12:40:28  *** pbase has quit IRC
 190 2017-09-14T12:40:47  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 191 2017-09-14T12:40:51  *** promag has quit IRC
 192 2017-09-14T12:41:12  *** pbase has quit IRC
 193 2017-09-14T12:41:12  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 194 2017-09-14T12:45:36  *** RubenSomsen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 195 2017-09-14T12:47:02  *** wxxs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 196 2017-09-14T12:48:44  *** wxxs_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 197 2017-09-14T12:49:18  *** wxxs__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 198 2017-09-14T12:51:12  *** wxxs___ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 199 2017-09-14T12:52:22  *** pbase has quit IRC
 200 2017-09-14T12:52:39  *** wxxs has quit IRC
 201 2017-09-14T12:52:43  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 202 2017-09-14T12:52:52  *** wxxs___ is now known as wxxs
 203 2017-09-14T12:53:12  *** wxxs_ has quit IRC
 204 2017-09-14T12:53:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/86700d3d056caf54b091a6673dd6dabb65fac1f2
 205 2017-09-14T12:53:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 86700d3 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: add release-notes for 0.15.0 to master...
 206 2017-09-14T12:54:51  *** wxxs__ has quit IRC
 207 2017-09-14T12:55:00  *** pbase has quit IRC
 208 2017-09-14T12:55:26  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 209 2017-09-14T12:57:04  *** adam3us has quit IRC
 210 2017-09-14T12:58:13  *** adam3us has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 211 2017-09-14T12:59:52  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 212 2017-09-14T13:02:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11280: [0.15] Final to-do's for 0.15.0 release notes (0.15...201709_release_note_015_todo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11280
 213 2017-09-14T13:03:50  *** parazyd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 214 2017-09-14T13:03:50  *** parazyd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 215 2017-09-14T13:08:03  *** wxxs has quit IRC
 216 2017-09-14T13:08:10  *** wxxs_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 217 2017-09-14T13:08:21  *** wxxs_ is now known as wxxs
 218 2017-09-14T13:13:22  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 219 2017-09-14T13:18:16  <NicolasDorier> https://www.irccloud.com/pastebin/hIAM1dLB/
 220 2017-09-14T13:18:29  <NicolasDorier> using 0.15rc3
 221 2017-09-14T13:20:20  <NicolasDorier> my node can't even start again after restarting it
 222 2017-09-14T13:20:27  <NicolasDorier> it is doing that every time it starts
 223 2017-09-14T13:25:43  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 224 2017-09-14T13:28:38  <wumpus> afaik that one (if it's during init) is fixed on master
 225 2017-09-14T13:28:53  <NicolasDorier> yep during init
 226 2017-09-14T13:29:12  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11126
 227 2017-09-14T13:29:32  <NicolasDorier> cool
 228 2017-09-14T13:29:39  <NicolasDorier> thanks I try that now
 229 2017-09-14T13:29:43  <wumpus> doesn't affect the release executables as they're not built with DEBUG_LOCKORDER
 230 2017-09-14T13:30:05  <wumpus> (and it's not an actual possible deadlock - will be backported to 0.15.1 though)
 231 2017-09-14T13:32:06  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 232 2017-09-14T13:34:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 233 2017-09-14T13:47:11  <NicolasDorier> wumpus: no luck, this is unrelated to this PR
 234 2017-09-14T13:47:18  <wumpus> ok
 235 2017-09-14T13:47:24  <NicolasDorier> this is indeed not a real deadlock though
 236 2017-09-14T13:47:41  <NicolasDorier> will just deactivate debug for now and find out what happen
 237 2017-09-14T13:48:50  *** GAit has quit IRC
 238 2017-09-14T13:49:47  *** GAit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 239 2017-09-14T13:51:34  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
 240 2017-09-14T13:53:04  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
 241 2017-09-14T13:57:24  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 242 2017-09-14T14:04:26  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 243 2017-09-14T14:16:12  *** afk11 has quit IRC
 244 2017-09-14T14:18:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/7c53587101eaf206a6a6a11a9398d43f139eadcf
 245 2017-09-14T14:18:07  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 7c53587 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Clean out release notes on 0.15 branch...
 246 2017-09-14T14:18:20  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 247 2017-09-14T14:18:37  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 248 2017-09-14T14:19:57  *** nelruk has quit IRC
 249 2017-09-14T14:22:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/96d91b79bdfe1c0a58bd645f0f1d657caba16deb
 250 2017-09-14T14:22:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 96d91b7 Wladimir J. van der Laan: contrib: Ignore historical release notes for whitespace check...
 251 2017-09-14T14:23:00  <NicolasDorier> how to remove DEBUG_LOCKORDER ? I tried to compile withount --enable-debug, but no luck it see;s
 252 2017-09-14T14:24:35  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 253 2017-09-14T14:27:28  <NicolasDorier> meh I must have screwed up somewhere... will redeploy
 254 2017-09-14T14:29:19  <wumpus> it's --enable-debug that adds it, so rebuilding without it (you'd need to 'make clean' too) will get rid of it
 255 2017-09-14T14:38:02  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 256 2017-09-14T14:38:44  *** pbase has quit IRC
 257 2017-09-14T14:41:11  <NicolasDorier> yeah sorry, I messed up by replacing the wrong bitcoind on my server :/
 258 2017-09-14T14:41:50  <NicolasDorier> so actually I did not tried https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11126 yet. But the path of the locks is different from the PR so I guess this is different error.
 259 2017-09-14T14:41:56  <NicolasDorier> filed an issue
 260 2017-09-14T14:48:50  <MarcoFalke> 15000 commits. This thing explodes 🎉
 261 2017-09-14T14:48:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/96d91b79bdfe...0f399a9ff227
 262 2017-09-14T14:48:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 77939f2 MeshCollider: Fix uninitialized g_connman crash in Shutdown()
 263 2017-09-14T14:48:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0f399a9 MarcoFalke: Merge #11326: Fix crash on shutdown with invalid wallet...
 264 2017-09-14T14:49:28  *** Dtime has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 265 2017-09-14T14:49:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11326: Fix crash on shutdown with invalid wallet (master...201709_shutdown_crash) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11326
 266 2017-09-14T14:54:15  *** Dtime has quit IRC
 267 2017-09-14T14:57:29  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 268 2017-09-14T15:00:39  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
 269 2017-09-14T15:01:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11328: Move comment about transaction/block weight calculation (master...fix/weight-comment) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11328
 270 2017-09-14T15:02:10  *** Lightsword has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 271 2017-09-14T15:03:40  *** Lightsword has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 272 2017-09-14T15:03:47  *** Aaronva__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 273 2017-09-14T15:05:05  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 274 2017-09-14T15:09:25  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery closed pull request #10044: [tests] [build] Run functional tests in `make check` (master...reorg_makefiles) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10044
 275 2017-09-14T15:13:04  *** brianhoffman__ has quit IRC
 276 2017-09-14T15:17:22  *** Aaronva__ is now known as AaronvanW
 277 2017-09-14T15:18:56  *** brianhoffman_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 278 2017-09-14T15:26:12  *** promag has quit IRC
 279 2017-09-14T15:31:25  <mryandao> has anyone here using tmux experience extreme lag when they `git clone` the bitcoin repo for the first time?
 280 2017-09-14T15:32:40  <wumpus> never noticed - though i guess git does a lot of terminal updates during the progress update so maybe that is slowed by running in tmux?
 281 2017-09-14T15:33:18  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: heh yes also noticed, 15000, wow that's a milestone in itself I guess
 282 2017-09-14T15:33:23  <mryandao> it was particularly bad after i did a git pull on my fork that was 1000+ commits behind.
 283 2017-09-14T15:33:33  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
 284 2017-09-14T15:33:40  <mryandao> i had to remove the whole repo and clone with depth=1
 285 2017-09-14T15:33:46  *** DrOlmer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 286 2017-09-14T15:33:47  <wumpus> well better to run git outside tmux then?
 287 2017-09-14T15:33:54  <wumpus> at least initial clones
 288 2017-09-14T15:34:09  <wumpus> if you think cloning bitcoin is bad, try cloning the linux kernel
 289 2017-09-14T15:35:07  <mryandao> heh
 290 2017-09-14T15:36:14  <mryandao> ah actually, it might be tmux-airline that was tracking the 1000+ commit that's pending
 291 2017-09-14T15:36:18  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 292 2017-09-14T15:38:29  *** paracyst has quit IRC
 293 2017-09-14T15:43:19  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 294 2017-09-14T15:52:12  *** chjj has quit IRC
 295 2017-09-14T15:54:52  *** promag has quit IRC
 296 2017-09-14T15:56:17  *** RubenSomsen has quit IRC
 297 2017-09-14T15:59:44  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 298 2017-09-14T16:03:39  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 299 2017-09-14T16:05:13  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 300 2017-09-14T16:05:27  <wumpus> ok
 301 2017-09-14T16:08:10  *** promag has quit IRC
 302 2017-09-14T16:15:19  *** RubenSomsen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 303 2017-09-14T16:25:44  <luke-jr> wumpus: mryandao: interesting, usually GNU Screen (similar to tmux) reduces screen update lag O.o
 304 2017-09-14T16:25:51  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 305 2017-09-14T16:28:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mess110 opened pull request #11329: [test] Test abortrescan command (master...kallewoof/test-abort-rescan-2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11329
 306 2017-09-14T16:30:08  <wumpus> interesting, it probably does some update coalescing on the background. I've personally never noticed tmux making things slower, but I don't have any fancy plugins iether
 307 2017-09-14T16:34:47  <luke-jr> right
 308 2017-09-14T16:45:47  *** arowser has quit IRC
 309 2017-09-14T16:47:13  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 310 2017-09-14T16:51:47  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 311 2017-09-14T16:58:25  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
 312 2017-09-14T17:05:36  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
 313 2017-09-14T17:08:41  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 314 2017-09-14T17:09:18  *** timothy has quit IRC
 315 2017-09-14T17:16:17  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 316 2017-09-14T17:23:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11330: Trivial: Fix comments for DEFAULT_WHITELIST[FORCE]RELAY (master...patch-10) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11330
 317 2017-09-14T17:28:01  <achow101> if anyone sees any issue remotely like #11171, please get the GUI settings (from windows registry or from ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf) before doing -resetguisettings
 318 2017-09-14T17:28:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11171 | RC2 Exits After Initialization · Issue #11171 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 319 2017-09-14T17:28:26  <achow101> I would like to see what the gui settings are before they are reset as that should give a clue as to how that crash is happening
 320 2017-09-14T17:30:15  <wumpus> yes that would be very useful to know
 321 2017-09-14T17:30:50  <wumpus> will you ask in the issue too?
 322 2017-09-14T17:31:06  <achow101> yep, asked
 323 2017-09-14T17:32:00  <achow101> I didn't realize someone else was experiencing the same problem. otherwise I would have asked them for their gui settings earlier, but they already reset them
 324 2017-09-14T17:32:38  <gmaxwell> Has anyone encountered this on Linux?
 325 2017-09-14T17:33:17  <achow101> gmaxwell: I don't think so
 326 2017-09-14T17:34:46  <ryanofsky> BlueMatt got a report from someone yesterday using linux
 327 2017-09-14T17:36:06  <wumpus> so from achow101's analysis it looks like something to do with the proxy configuration? that could be the case ,proxy can be set from the gui settings
 328 2017-09-14T17:36:06  <BlueMatt> yea, someone complaining that 0.15 on the ppa was busted
 329 2017-09-14T17:36:17  <BlueMatt> his response to me claimed he assumed it was proxy
 330 2017-09-14T17:36:42  <BlueMatt> i asked for more details but havent heard back yet (to try to confirm it if possible)
 331 2017-09-14T17:36:50  <achow101> I think it has to do with the proxy setting although I couldn't think of a proxy string that would replicate the problem
 332 2017-09-14T17:36:55  <wumpus> if that is true, though, it should be possible to trigger it from the command line too, as the proxy simply gets passed in in a similar way
 333 2017-09-14T17:38:37  <wumpus> yes exactly then it will be some string that crashes it
 334 2017-09-14T17:39:06  <wumpus> apparently starting with 0.15 branch
 335 2017-09-14T17:39:14  <achow101> well I tried a lot of weird strings and couldn't get anything to crash it :/
 336 2017-09-14T17:39:38  <achow101> I got it to crash after it all loaded and I tried to modify the settings though. There's an open issue for that
 337 2017-09-14T17:39:40  <wumpus> I don't remember if there were any proxy handling changes for 0.15
 338 2017-09-14T17:42:17  <gmaxwell> thats it's a crash limits the number of possibiltty.
 339 2017-09-14T17:42:20  <gmaxwell> er possibilities.
 340 2017-09-14T17:43:54  <gmaxwell>     Merge #9774: Enable host lookups for -proxy and -onion parameters
 341 2017-09-14T17:43:56  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9774 | Enable host lookups for -proxy and -onion parameters by jmcorgan · Pull Request #9774 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 342 2017-09-14T17:43:58  <gmaxwell> looks like it was in 0.15
 343 2017-09-14T17:44:47  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 344 2017-09-14T17:44:53  <wumpus> yes, that one would certainly be a possibility
 345 2017-09-14T17:48:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery closed pull request #10748: [config] Help text cleanup (master...helptextcleanup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10748
 346 2017-09-14T17:48:47  <wumpus> I don't see how though
 347 2017-09-14T17:50:20  <wumpus> if it's something in paymentserver crashing, it's not the lookup itself that crashes it, but something in the transfer of the proxy address to a qt structure
 348 2017-09-14T17:51:46  <gmaxwell> well for example, I wonder if Lookup would crash with a e.g. 0xff input. otherwise I don't see how the lookup change could be it
 349 2017-09-14T17:52:24  <gmaxwell> (or maybe a truncated multibyte character)
 350 2017-09-14T17:53:12  <wumpus> it happens after the argument parsing though
 351 2017-09-14T17:54:00  <wumpus> in the log in 11171 it's even handling peers already
 352 2017-09-14T17:54:52  <gmaxwell> the obvious way to try to repro is to get these things set in the registry, then edit the registry manually to set the keys to empty strings.
 353 2017-09-14T17:55:22  <achow101> gmaxwell: been there done that. A lot of invalid things are caught that makes it fail to start entirely (throws initerror)
 354 2017-09-14T17:56:17  <wumpus> yes, it help so much to have an example of a failing config
 355 2017-09-14T17:59:58  <harrymm> i got matt's ppa to my ubuntu 17.04 system when it was available. i had the gui crash you're talking about and got it working with -resetguisettings.
 356 2017-09-14T18:00:11  <harrymm> i still have the processed core dump if that helps ya.
 357 2017-09-14T18:01:02  <gmaxwell> you have a core dump!
 358 2017-09-14T18:01:03  <achow101> harding: it would be better to have your gui config
 359 2017-09-14T18:01:12  <harrymm> it actually said the seg was SIGSEGV at QAbstractButton:setChecked(bool) from libQtGui.so.4.
 360 2017-09-14T18:01:15  <gmaxwell> achow101: not harding, harrymm
 361 2017-09-14T18:01:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11331: Trivial: Update outdated comment in validation.h (master...patch-11) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11331
 362 2017-09-14T18:01:22  <achow101> oops
 363 2017-09-14T18:02:06  <harrymm> yep. i'm not sure how to analyse it. it's a whoopsie thing.
 364 2017-09-14T18:02:30  <harrymm> gdb doesn't do the job. sorry i'm not too skillful at this :)
 365 2017-09-14T18:03:24  <harrymm> it was produced when i allowed it to send the bug info to launchpad trackers (I thought)
 366 2017-09-14T18:04:58  <BlueMatt> harrymm: I mean what settings do you recall having? custom datadir, encrypted wallet, selected different buttons for fees in the send tab.....?
 367 2017-09-14T18:05:05  <BlueMatt> minimize to tray?
 368 2017-09-14T18:06:18  <harrymm> yes to all of those iirc
 369 2017-09-14T18:06:51  <harrymm> i had a backup i made during this process but cleaned it out today when the thing finally worked. :(
 370 2017-09-14T18:07:51  <gmaxwell> harrymm: can you get a backtrace from it?    gdb -c corefile ./path-to/bitcoin-qt    then "thread apply all bt full"
 371 2017-09-14T18:08:31  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 372 2017-09-14T18:08:42  <harrymm> i'll have a shot...
 373 2017-09-14T18:10:05  <harrymm> no. that gives me the same result i got before. it doesn't recognize the apport/whoopsie processed file
 374 2017-09-14T18:10:51  <gmaxwell> okay I don't know what that does it it.
 375 2017-09-14T18:11:02  <wumpus> it's possible to extract a gdb core dump from the processed file, don't remember the steps though
 376 2017-09-14T18:11:05  <harrymm> i couldn't find out how to load it locally either. but the file info was sent off to a bug tracker at the time (severl times in fact). launchpad should have it.
 377 2017-09-14T18:11:54  <harrymm> tho. this file is 100MB. i'm sure not that much was in the bug report :)
 378 2017-09-14T18:11:57  <wumpus> apport-unpack apparently https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#I.27m_a_developer._How_do_I_use_these_crash_reports.3F
 379 2017-09-14T18:12:31  <wumpus> yes, these are steps for examining it locally, not sure what parts are uploaded
 380 2017-09-14T18:13:11  *** promag has quit IRC
 381 2017-09-14T18:14:39  <BlueMatt> i see no bugs anywhere...no idea what reporting it did
 382 2017-09-14T18:14:54  <BlueMatt> unless you're the "john" who emailed previously
 383 2017-09-14T18:17:21  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 384 2017-09-14T18:17:29  <harrymm> not me. tho i did see a comment with this same fault. someone suggested a new report be opened but afaik it was not done.
 385 2017-09-14T18:17:50  <BlueMatt> a comment? where?
 386 2017-09-14T18:17:52  <harrymm> that was in github iirc
 387 2017-09-14T18:17:57  <BlueMatt> ohoh, yea, github
 388 2017-09-14T18:18:06  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 389 2017-09-14T18:18:13  <BlueMatt> i dont know what blackhole the launchpad reports went into
 390 2017-09-14T18:18:26  <harrymm> i tried to find it too .. failed
 391 2017-09-14T18:18:40  <harrymm> so shall i try to unpack this thing?
 392 2017-09-14T18:18:46  <BlueMatt> yes, please
 393 2017-09-14T18:18:56  *** promag has quit IRC
 394 2017-09-14T18:19:16  <harrymm> k. i didn't have much luck with apport options yesterday but i didn't try this particular one.
 395 2017-09-14T18:20:11  <wumpus> yes, the core dump inside it can hopefully give us a useful backtrace
 396 2017-09-14T18:20:55  <harrymm> wow. that worked and it was quick. i now have a whole bunch of separate files
 397 2017-09-14T18:21:07  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 398 2017-09-14T18:21:50  <harrymm> the segvanalysis file says: Segfault happened at: 0x7fd6466e033d <_ZN15QAbstractButton10setCheckedEb+13>:   mov    0x8(%rdi),%rbx
 399 2017-09-14T18:21:50  <harrymm> PC (0x7fd6466e033d) ok
 400 2017-09-14T18:21:51  <harrymm> source "0x8(%rdi)" (0x00000008) not located in a known VMA region (needed readable region)!
 401 2017-09-14T18:21:51  <harrymm> destination "%rbx" ok
 402 2017-09-14T18:22:11  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 403 2017-09-14T18:22:44  <wumpus> can you pastebin the output of: <gmaxwell> harrymm: can you get a backtrace from it?    gdb -c corefile ./path-to/bitcoin-qt    then "thread apply all bt full"
 404 2017-09-14T18:22:48  <harrymm> segvreason: reading NULL VMA
 405 2017-09-14T18:23:17  <harrymm> i can't make gdb process this thing
 406 2017-09-14T18:23:22  <wumpus> I guess something called setChecked on a NULL pointer
 407 2017-09-14T18:23:36  <wumpus> there should be a corefile between those unpacked files, that works with gdb in that way
 408 2017-09-14T18:23:50  <harrymm> oh. wait..
 409 2017-09-14T18:25:35  <harrymm> haha. i missed that CoreDump file. Ok. I've got gdb opened.
 410 2017-09-14T18:26:52  <wumpus> these are all uses of setChecked in the code base: https://0bin.net/paste/CMyf3KukY-4bWwpS#MpZG+6rLJIl-1gwTfsKUe4baTOHnCmPDtVpJcLMpos2
 411 2017-09-14T18:27:10  <BlueMatt> wumpus: where do you think my list of possible settings in use came from :p
 412 2017-09-14T18:27:43  <harrymm> how do i get a file out containg the backtrace?
 413 2017-09-14T18:28:11  <BlueMatt> just copy/paste the output of the above command into a site like 0bin or pastebin
 414 2017-09-14T18:28:13  <harrymm> no symbols of course, but i can prolly get it up to pastebin
 415 2017-09-14T18:28:14  <wumpus> to make gdb log, "set logging file <filename>" "set logging on"
 416 2017-09-14T18:28:19  <BlueMatt> or that
 417 2017-09-14T18:28:26  <wumpus> no symbols in the ppa?
 418 2017-09-14T18:29:08  <wumpus> we don't have separate debug info for that one either :/
 419 2017-09-14T18:29:31  <BlueMatt> you can get symbols from ppa
 420 2017-09-14T18:29:34  <BlueMatt> but you have to manually download that
 421 2017-09-14T18:29:38  <BlueMatt> sec
 422 2017-09-14T18:29:56  <BlueMatt> what ubuntu version?
 423 2017-09-14T18:30:29  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
 424 2017-09-14T18:30:43  <harrymm> 17.04
 425 2017-09-14T18:31:16  <harrymm> i got a log file. i'll wait to see oif i can get symbols tho
 426 2017-09-14T18:31:25  <BlueMatt> https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/ubuntu/bitcoin/+build/13367431/+files/bitcoind-dbgsym_0.15.0-zesty6_amd64.ddeb
 427 2017-09-14T18:31:29  <BlueMatt> from https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/ubuntu/bitcoin/+build/13367431
 428 2017-09-14T18:31:35  <BlueMatt> i assume you ended up with 0.15.0-zesty6
 429 2017-09-14T18:31:50  <harrymm> sounds right.
 430 2017-09-14T18:32:15  <harrymm> not sure about that 6 but iirc it was :)
 431 2017-09-14T18:32:49  <BlueMatt> i dont actually know how to turn that into debugsyms in gdb, but I believe dpkg -i will let you install the ddeb file
 432 2017-09-14T18:35:29  <BlueMatt> harrymm: I think it might magic....if you download the ddeb file there, dpkg -i it (or otherwise install it like a normal package) and then re-open gdb, it may know to search usr/lib/debug
 433 2017-09-14T18:38:08  <harrymm> double-click worked. lol. gdb is showing symbols now.
 434 2017-09-14T18:42:36  <achow101> harrymm: got the gdb output yet?
 435 2017-09-14T18:43:14  *** abpa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 436 2017-09-14T18:46:44  <harrymm> https://pastebin.com/XDzaeFrS
 437 2017-09-14T18:47:07  <harrymm> but it frustratingly seems to not have the symbols dammit. it loaded them ok ...
 438 2017-09-14T18:47:08  *** RubenSomsen has quit IRC
 439 2017-09-14T18:50:12  *** Dtime has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 440 2017-09-14T18:53:01  <harrymm> aww. should i have told gdb to load symbols from the symbols downloaded? it says it's reading them from bitcoin-qt (which doesn't have them)
 441 2017-09-14T18:53:37  <achow101> harrymm: I believe so. I don't remember the gdb commands/params for that though
 442 2017-09-14T18:54:02  <harrymm> i see a -s <file> but dunno what file i got
 443 2017-09-14T18:54:29  <harrymm> i apologize for my naivety :)
 444 2017-09-14T18:54:35  *** Dtime has quit IRC
 445 2017-09-14T18:55:32  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 446 2017-09-14T18:57:43  <BlueMatt> your file is /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/bitcoind
 447 2017-09-14T18:57:54  <harrymm> ahh
 448 2017-09-14T18:57:58  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 449 2017-09-14T18:58:15  <harrymm> wait. bitcoind or bitcoin-qt?
 450 2017-09-14T18:58:22  <BlueMatt> oh, no, bitcoin-qt, sorry
 451 2017-09-14T18:58:27  <BlueMatt> oh, wait, lol wrong file
 452 2017-09-14T18:58:28  <BlueMatt> sec
 453 2017-09-14T18:58:28  <harrymm> ok
 454 2017-09-14T18:58:48  <BlueMatt> yea, obviously you want the -qt dbgsym ddeb instead
 455 2017-09-14T18:59:06  <BlueMatt> https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/ubuntu/bitcoin/+build/13367431/+files/bitcoin-qt-dbgsym_0.15.0-zesty6_amd64.ddeb
 456 2017-09-14T18:59:36  <gmaxwell> 30 seconds till meeting.
 457 2017-09-14T18:59:42  <harrymm> lol. i see it now too.
 458 2017-09-14T19:00:07  <wumpus> #startmeeting
 459 2017-09-14T19:00:07  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Sep 14 19:00:07 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
 460 2017-09-14T19:00:07  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
 461 2017-09-14T19:00:10  <sipa> present
 462 2017-09-14T19:00:20  <instagibbs> hi
 463 2017-09-14T19:00:20  <gmaxwell> sipa: you're late
 464 2017-09-14T19:00:22  <jonasschnelli> Hy
 465 2017-09-14T19:00:30  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101
 466 2017-09-14T19:00:49  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 467 2017-09-14T19:00:52  <cfields_> hi
 468 2017-09-14T19:01:00  <sipa> short topic: congrats for 0.15.0!
 469 2017-09-14T19:01:08  <Chris_Stewart_5> yay!
 470 2017-09-14T19:01:14  <cfields_> woohoo
 471 2017-09-14T19:01:21  <wumpus> congrats and thanks everyone
 472 2017-09-14T19:01:26  <instagibbs> \o/
 473 2017-09-14T19:01:26  <jonasschnelli> !
 474 2017-09-14T19:01:37  <harrymm> :)
 475 2017-09-14T19:01:51  <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
 476 2017-09-14T19:01:55  <instagibbs> beatings will continue until 0.15.1 is out the door
 477 2017-09-14T19:02:17  <wumpus> we managed to merge quite a lot during the coredev meet, so there's some place for new things in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
 478 2017-09-14T19:03:05  <wumpus> so any suggestions?
 479 2017-09-14T19:03:14  <achow101> hi
 480 2017-09-14T19:03:52  * BlueMatt is keeping hi
 481 2017-09-14T19:03:53  <BlueMatt> s
 482 2017-09-14T19:03:57  * sipa also
 483 2017-09-14T19:04:07  <BlueMatt> sipa: you dont have one
 484 2017-09-14T19:04:17  <wumpus> anything for 0.15.1 maybe?
 485 2017-09-14T19:04:26  <sipa> #11167 then
 486 2017-09-14T19:04:29  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11167 | Full BIP173 (Bech32) support by sipa · Pull Request #11167 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 487 2017-09-14T19:04:39  <instagibbs> #11089
 488 2017-09-14T19:04:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11089 | Enable various p2sh-p2wpkh functionality by luke-jr · Pull Request #11089 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 489 2017-09-14T19:04:52  <wumpus> added 11167
 490 2017-09-14T19:04:55  <BlueMatt> where are we on 0.15.1?
 491 2017-09-14T19:05:16  <cfields_> i have a pretty long stream of stuff to prep for libevent, but i don't want to burn everyone out by nagging too much. would you all prefer a few prs, all of which build on each-other, and a final one that incorporates everything?
 492 2017-09-14T19:05:23  <sipa> i'll work on the segwit-by-default stuff for 0.15.1
 493 2017-09-14T19:05:31  <wumpus> added 11089
 494 2017-09-14T19:05:51  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 495 2017-09-14T19:06:18  <cfields_> (#10663 is the first of those. It's by no means high priority, other than it's necessary for the rest)
 496 2017-09-14T19:06:18  <wumpus> cfields_: that depends; if some part stands on itself, it might make sense to PR it first then give it as a blocker
 497 2017-09-14T19:06:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10663 | net: split resolve out of connect by theuni · Pull Request #10663 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 498 2017-09-14T19:06:41  <wumpus> that says enough, added 10663
 499 2017-09-14T19:06:45  <jonasschnelli> cfields_ I Prefer a single one to get the overall pictures
 500 2017-09-14T19:07:06  <cfields_> wumpus: thanks
 501 2017-09-14T19:07:07  <wumpus> but if it's a single one there's just so damn much to review
 502 2017-09-14T19:07:10  <instagibbs> jonasschnelli, or all of them, chained, with backpointers to first one to review
 503 2017-09-14T19:07:16  <gmaxwell> this gui crash issues should be considered a 0.15.1 blocker, but we still aren't sure of the precise cause.
 504 2017-09-14T19:07:16  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 505 2017-09-14T19:07:25  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: sure, but you cant merge that...opening one which will be final eventually and then breaking it into chunks is also ok
 506 2017-09-14T19:07:30  <wumpus> gmaxwell: agree
 507 2017-09-14T19:07:33  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: yup :(
 508 2017-09-14T19:07:46  <cfields_> jonasschnelli: ok, i can break them up into nice chunks, and have a tracking PR with them all rebased on top of eachother
 509 2017-09-14T19:07:51  <gmaxwell> considering the flood of reports I am really no longer able to believe we didn't recently introduce it.
 510 2017-09-14T19:07:56  <cfields_> i think that's pretty common these days
 511 2017-09-14T19:08:07  <wumpus> cfields_: sounds good to me
 512 2017-09-14T19:08:12  <gmaxwell> (maybe via a dep upgrade)
 513 2017-09-14T19:08:13  <michagogo> o/
 514 2017-09-14T19:08:18  *** fpgaminer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 515 2017-09-14T19:08:27  <jonasschnelli> one for conceptual overview and multiple for real merge
 516 2017-09-14T19:08:28  <wumpus> gmaxwell: agreed
 517 2017-09-14T19:08:41  <cfields_> gmaxwell: possible that other clients are dinking with config files?
 518 2017-09-14T19:09:01  <jonasschnelli> (sorry phone typping)
 519 2017-09-14T19:09:04  <gmaxwell> that was a theory I had too but have seen no evidence of it.
 520 2017-09-14T19:09:20  <gmaxwell> harrymm: have you run bitcoin unlimited or bitcoin cash or likewise on that system you crashed on?
 521 2017-09-14T19:09:25  <morcos> Wouldn't we see 0.14 reports in that case
 522 2017-09-14T19:09:28  <wumpus> we really need a config or regtest dump from someone that has the issue
 523 2017-09-14T19:09:33  <BlueMatt> harrymm: how are those -qt debug symbols coming?
 524 2017-09-14T19:09:40  <wumpus> before they run -resetguisettings
 525 2017-09-14T19:09:55  <wumpus> in retrospect we should have made resetguisettings dump the settings to a backup file
 526 2017-09-14T19:10:00  <jonasschnelli> cfields_ : perfect
 527 2017-09-14T19:10:14  <cfields_> gmaxwell: iirc we didn't bump qt for 0.15. so deps seem unlikely
 528 2017-09-14T19:10:23  <achow101> wumpus: we should start doing that now
 529 2017-09-14T19:10:25  <wumpus> I mean you only run it when something is wrong
 530 2017-09-14T19:10:30  <wumpus> achow101: yes
 531 2017-09-14T19:11:06  <wumpus> #action Make -resetguisettings dump settings to troubleshooting file in datadir
 532 2017-09-14T19:11:09  <gmaxwell> cfields_: well I'm not completely sure that the issue is 0.15.x specific based on report load it could have been, say, 0.14.2 too ... and just a lot of people are upgrading.
 533 2017-09-14T19:11:22  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 534 2017-09-14T19:11:32  <sipa> "oh, it's faster, i'll try running a full node again"
 535 2017-09-14T19:12:04  <cfields_> gmaxwell: what's the OS diversity?
 536 2017-09-14T19:12:06  <wumpus> but it was *never* reported for 0.14.x
 537 2017-09-14T19:12:14  <sipa> wumpus: fair point...
 538 2017-09-14T19:12:14  <wumpus> it would explain more reports, sure
 539 2017-09-14T19:12:22  <gmaxwell> we have a linux report now. so far mostly windows reports.
 540 2017-09-14T19:12:41  <achow101> gmaxwell: I suspect that's because more people use windows than linux
 541 2017-09-14T19:12:42  <gmaxwell> I don't think we've had a mac report. maybe there are just no mac users. :P
 542 2017-09-14T19:13:05  <cfields_> ah damn, i was thinking it could be a windows update
 543 2017-09-14T19:13:06  <sipa> did we update qt in between 0.14.2 and 0.15.0?
 544 2017-09-14T19:13:20  <harrymm> gmaxwell: not those you mentioned. i did try some other bitcoin python stuff at various times tho
 545 2017-09-14T19:13:32  <cfields_> hmm. I can run on osx and plug/unplug monitors like a madman.
 546 2017-09-14T19:13:34  *** Aaronva__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 547 2017-09-14T19:13:37  <gmaxwell> harrymm: thanks.
 548 2017-09-14T19:13:43  <achow101> cfields_: it's not a monitor problem
 549 2017-09-14T19:13:49  <gmaxwell> So thats counter evidence to the theory that bch or bu is corrupting it.
 550 2017-09-14T19:13:59  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 551 2017-09-14T19:14:03  <wumpus> the monitor problem just disappears the window
 552 2017-09-14T19:14:07  <wumpus> I think this is unrelated
 553 2017-09-14T19:14:15  <achow101> This is definitely unrelated
 554 2017-09-14T19:14:25  <cfields_> ok
 555 2017-09-14T19:14:38  <jonasschnelli> is that still the offscreen issue?
 556 2017-09-14T19:14:44  <gmaxwell> There may be two issues fixed with the same thing or two manifestiations of the same issue.
 557 2017-09-14T19:14:56  <harrymm> BlueMatt: i got the right symbols down and loaded into gdb, but there's still many symbols i don't have. i was checking if the relevant ones were there but not sure i have the right skills anyway so i will pastebin what i have
 558 2017-09-14T19:15:00  <achow101> jonasschnelli: it's the #11171 issue
 559 2017-09-14T19:15:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11171 | RC2 Exits After Initialization · Issue #11171 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 560 2017-09-14T19:15:17  <achow101> which is not an offscreen issue although we initially thought it was
 561 2017-09-14T19:15:21  <jonasschnelli> again:  GUI: TransactionTablePriv::refreshWallet
 562 2017-09-14T19:15:48  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: was that the same problem?
 563 2017-09-14T19:15:57  * BlueMatt gets the impression there are at least 2 distinct issues here (+ the offscreen one which is not a segfault, right?)
 564 2017-09-14T19:16:02  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: I don'tremember that one was fixed by clearing gui settings
 565 2017-09-14T19:16:10  <wumpus> the offscreen issue is not a segfault, ever
 566 2017-09-14T19:16:14  <jonasschnelli> no... not possible IMO
 567 2017-09-14T19:16:31  <jonasschnelli> 11171 seems totally unrelated to the offscreen issue
 568 2017-09-14T19:16:34  <wumpus> the refreshWallet crash was intermittent, very hard to reproduce
 569 2017-09-14T19:16:34  * BlueMatt also doesnt believe this exists on 0.14.2...so far 2 reports from ppa folks, and they tend to be a rather well-upgraded bunch
 570 2017-09-14T19:16:37  <wumpus> this one is 100% reproducible
 571 2017-09-14T19:16:44  <wumpus> unless you clear the settings
 572 2017-09-14T19:16:56  <jonasschnelli> Okay. I'll track down 11171
 573 2017-09-14T19:16:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 574 2017-09-14T19:17:01  <BlueMatt> harrymm: yea, pastebin what you have would be great
 575 2017-09-14T19:17:12  <achow101> jonasschnelli: that's what we're doing now with harrymm :)
 576 2017-09-14T19:17:31  <jonasschnelli> xyzzy099 == harrymm?
 577 2017-09-14T19:17:35  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: offscreen gets the same report from users though:  window doesn't appear, resetting the gui settings fixes it.
 578 2017-09-14T19:17:52  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: I have tracked this down and it's no longer present in 0.15
 579 2017-09-14T19:17:52  <achow101> jonasschnelli: no, different people, same symptoms, possibly same problem
 580 2017-09-14T19:17:56  <jonasschnelli> (official builds)
 581 2017-09-14T19:18:08  <jonasschnelli> It may happen if you self compile with <Qt5.6
 582 2017-09-14T19:18:12  <achow101> (symptoms being crash after splash screen)
 583 2017-09-14T19:18:28  *** pbase has quit IRC
 584 2017-09-14T19:18:32  <wumpus> yes the offscreen one has unclear status on the release binaries, jonasschnelli's testing points at it being fixed
 585 2017-09-14T19:18:34  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: which issue is that?
 586 2017-09-14T19:18:40  <BlueMatt> ah, offscreen
 587 2017-09-14T19:18:52  <achow101> wumpus: I believe the offscreen issue should be fixed in 0.15
 588 2017-09-14T19:19:00  <wumpus> achow101: yes
 589 2017-09-14T19:19:01  <BlueMatt> it'd be nice to fix the qt5 issues so that ppa can upgrade to it instead of being stuck on qt4......
 590 2017-09-14T19:19:15  <jonasschnelli> It's fixed in 0.15.0 (I have tested with Win7,8.1/10)
 591 2017-09-14T19:19:16  <wumpus> BlueMatt: just wait for unity to die
 592 2017-09-14T19:19:20  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: how does <Qt5.6 come into it?
 593 2017-09-14T19:19:32  *** promag has quit IRC
 594 2017-09-14T19:19:52  <wumpus> wasn't the most serious qt5 problem on ubuntu the tray icon thing? no such issue on GNOME
 595 2017-09-14T19:20:02  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: I'm not sure if Qt is related. I could not find if the bug was fixed upstream (I think we had a Qt depdendency upgrade from 0.14 to 0.15) or if its fixed in out sources.
 596 2017-09-14T19:20:05  <BlueMatt> wumpus: heh, I mean there was discussion of killing the tray icon
 597 2017-09-14T19:20:12  <BlueMatt> wumpus: yes, I believe the tray icon was ~the only blocker
 598 2017-09-14T19:20:17  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: the problem is that we've had users reporting all through the rcs something that sounds like that, and now in releases. So just saying its fixed isn't helpful, since there is clearly something that isn't fixed.
 599 2017-09-14T19:20:32  <wumpus> anyhow that's yet another different issue
 600 2017-09-14T19:20:37  <BlueMatt> wumpus: there was some minimize issue that was also there, but I believe it was related...just kill the tray icon and its fixed, I think
 601 2017-09-14T19:20:46  <achow101> gmaxwell: jonasschnelli: I think you're talking about different issues
 602 2017-09-14T19:20:47  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: IMO its an upstream bug.
 603 2017-09-14T19:20:48  <harrymm> BlueMatt: best backtrace I have: https://pastebin.com/ZEZUhEDW
 604 2017-09-14T19:20:57  <wumpus> it's almost as if we have a lot of GUI issues and not many people working on the GUI :)
 605 2017-09-14T19:21:04  <sipa> jonasschnelli: i don't understand
 606 2017-09-14T19:21:13  <sipa> jonasschnelli: is it fixed, or is it an upstream bug?
 607 2017-09-14T19:21:23  <wumpus> both - upstream bug that is fixed
 608 2017-09-14T19:21:29  <jonasschnelli> the offscreen issue was present in our official 0.14.x bninaries while it's gone in our 0.15.0 binary
 609 2017-09-14T19:21:37  <gmaxwell> or "is it fixed" or "can't reproduce"?
 610 2017-09-14T19:21:38  <sipa> we're not talking about the offscreen issue...
 611 2017-09-14T19:21:48  <wumpus> let's discuss one issue at a time
 612 2017-09-14T19:21:51  <jonasschnelli> sipa: it is fixed,.. very likely in an upstream fix (could not track down the commit)
 613 2017-09-14T19:21:51  <wumpus> this is getting crazy
 614 2017-09-14T19:22:00  <sipa> jonasschnelli: then why are we getting reports?
 615 2017-09-14T19:22:12  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: what patch fixed it in 0.15?
 616 2017-09-14T19:22:26  <jonasschnelli> sipa: offscreen bug: could be because people compile with an Qt version below qt5.6?
 617 2017-09-14T19:22:31  <wumpus> we really need a test for the offscreen issue, right now we have *no* way to evaluate any fix
 618 2017-09-14T19:22:40  <wumpus> we could merge another PR that claims to fix it
 619 2017-09-14T19:22:45  <wumpus> but I'm kind of sick of that
 620 2017-09-14T19:22:49  <sipa> wait, i thought we were talking about the crash-at-startup issue?
 621 2017-09-14T19:22:50  <BlueMatt> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.15/src/qt/sendcoinsdialog.cpp#L131 <-- the bug
 622 2017-09-14T19:22:58  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: I need to track it down. I just tested 0.14.1 and 0.15.0 on win7,8.1,10 and verfied that it is fixed in 0.15
 623 2017-09-14T19:23:09  <BlueMatt> ok, but lets be clear there are multiple bugs here
 624 2017-09-14T19:23:09  <achow101> BlueMatt: yay!
 625 2017-09-14T19:23:13  <jonasschnelli> sipa: sorry,... we slipped to the offscreen issue.
 626 2017-09-14T19:23:18  <sipa> okay, ignore me
 627 2017-09-14T19:23:19  <BlueMatt> the offscreen issue, which jonasschnelli believes to be fixed
 628 2017-09-14T19:23:23  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: what does verified that it's fixed in 0.15 mean?  Does that just mean you were unable to reproduce it at all?
 629 2017-09-14T19:23:31  <BlueMatt> also the settings issue, which is L131 as above based on harrymm's backtrace
 630 2017-09-14T19:23:37  <wumpus> gmaxwell: yes, that means it
 631 2017-09-14T19:23:51  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: I set the window position by RegEdit to 3000,3000, 0.14 has the issue, 0.15 doens't
 632 2017-09-14T19:24:07  <achow101> BlueMatt: I don't see how there's a bug there
 633 2017-09-14T19:24:23  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: thanks for doing a sane, reproducible test :)
 634 2017-09-14T19:25:02  <jonasschnelli> 11171 is far more important
 635 2017-09-14T19:25:10  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: okay, but if the issue users are hitting is that the use positions the window in the bottom left of the screen (below task bar) then they'd still be hitting it... since the reproduction was synthetic.
 636 2017-09-14T19:25:10  <wumpus> I agree
 637 2017-09-14T19:25:20  <wumpus> crash bugs are more important, and this happens for a lot more users
 638 2017-09-14T19:25:45  <gmaxwell> I know that at least one of the users I helped during the RCs wasn't crashing (Because they had to kill bitcoin-qt in their task manager)
 639 2017-09-14T19:25:52  <jtimon> oops, I'm late
 640 2017-09-14T19:25:57  <jonasschnelli> gmaxwell: I can investigate again and report
 641 2017-09-14T19:25:58  <jtimon> yay 0.15!
 642 2017-09-14T19:26:03  <sipa> gmaxwell: sure, but there's only so much we can do
 643 2017-09-14T19:26:19  <gmaxwell> sipa: we could stop saving the position.
 644 2017-09-14T19:26:29  <wumpus> yes, ideally we should test all 8 areas outside the screen, something for an automated test
 645 2017-09-14T19:26:49  <wumpus> or just nuke the remember-position functionality
 646 2017-09-14T19:27:03  <jonasschnelli> my observation is that Qt handles offscreen situation pretty well... if a certain area of the window is offscreen, it re-centers.
 647 2017-09-14T19:27:05  <wumpus> the longer this remains an issue the more I'm tempted to the latter
 648 2017-09-14T19:27:17  <sipa> does -resetguisettings change anything but the remembered window coordinates?
 649 2017-09-14T19:27:35  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: QT5 but perhaps not QT4? (which, for example, the ppa uses, I believe)
 650 2017-09-14T19:27:37  <wumpus> sipa: yes, it clears all settings set through the gui optioins dialog
 651 2017-09-14T19:27:38  <jonasschnelli> It may kill your dbcache / proxy settings
 652 2017-09-14T19:27:47  <sipa> oh!
 653 2017-09-14T19:27:56  <jonasschnelli> Oh. PPA / QT4
 654 2017-09-14T19:28:02  <achow101> Oh, I think I found harrymm's bug
 655 2017-09-14T19:28:03  <jonasschnelli> Yes. The issue is very likely present there...
 656 2017-09-14T19:28:04  <wumpus> as well as all other things the GUI remembers (there might be something in the send dialog with fee, I vaguely remember)
 657 2017-09-14T19:28:07  <gmaxwell> sipa: you missed earlier discussion, based on debuglog traffic achow has suggested its actually the proxy that is implicated in the crash.,
 658 2017-09-14T19:28:11  <jonasschnelli> I don't see a reason to do the PPA with Qt4?
 659 2017-09-14T19:28:22  <BlueMatt> achow101: yea, there's only one button in that group
 660 2017-09-14T19:28:23  <gmaxwell> sipa: I pointed out that 0.15 did change proxy handling (name lookup) but a cause of a crash isn't obvious there.
 661 2017-09-14T19:28:25  <sipa> gmaxwell: ah
 662 2017-09-14T19:28:48  <achow101> BlueMatt: I mean how different settings for nCustomFeeRadio cause a segfault
 663 2017-09-14T19:28:50  <jonasschnelli> Maybe we just add a failsafe: if offscreen then re-center... (but sounds simpler then it is)
 664 2017-09-14T19:28:59  <gmaxwell> the user in here with the crash on linux knows the function where the segfault happens for him (inside a qt button setting function)
 665 2017-09-14T19:29:09  <wumpus> achow101: interesting, so it might be the custom fee setting?
 666 2017-09-14T19:29:12  <BlueMatt> achow101: yes
 667 2017-09-14T19:29:21  <wumpus> achow101: I forgot about that one completely as it's not in the options dialog
 668 2017-09-14T19:29:25  <BlueMatt> wumpus: it appears to be a what-button-had-you-clicked-on-in-14.2 issue
 669 2017-09-14T19:29:29  <achow101> wumpus: yes
 670 2017-09-14T19:29:36  <achow101> I set nCustomFeeRadio=1 and that causes a segfault
 671 2017-09-14T19:29:37  <gmaxwell> oh we also changed the options for fees at some point in recent memory, could people have settings that made sense in 0.14 but not now?
 672 2017-09-14T19:29:46  <wumpus> gmaxwell: ouch
 673 2017-09-14T19:29:53  <sipa> achow101: nice catch
 674 2017-09-14T19:29:57  <gmaxwell> sounds like it.
 675 2017-09-14T19:29:58  <BlueMatt> we deleted a button
 676 2017-09-14T19:30:04  <jonasschnelli> could it happend by https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10769?
 677 2017-09-14T19:30:09  <BlueMatt> there is only one button in that group
 678 2017-09-14T19:30:09  <gmaxwell> consistent with the segfault location that harrymm reported too
 679 2017-09-14T19:30:12  <BlueMatt> so it obviously segfaults
 680 2017-09-14T19:30:57  <morcos> well that was a productive first half of the meeting
 681 2017-09-14T19:31:13  <wumpus> so nCustomFeeRadio should be removed completely? or are there other settitngs?
 682 2017-09-14T19:31:28  <harrymm> good work :)
 683 2017-09-14T19:31:37  <gmaxwell> 0.15.1 next week? :P
 684 2017-09-14T19:31:44  <wumpus> debugging an issue during the meeting is kinda cool
 685 2017-09-14T19:31:57  <jonasschnelli> heh...
 686 2017-09-14T19:32:00  <sipa> bughunting-by-committee
 687 2017-09-14T19:32:00  <dgenr8> my money was on sinister alt clients
 688 2017-09-14T19:32:27  <gmaxwell> oh had nothing to do with sinister, just incompatible.
 689 2017-09-14T19:32:34  <sipa> where everyone forgets it's really achow101 who found it
 690 2017-09-14T19:32:40  <wumpus> sinister alt clients could have more custom fee settings, we should be robust against corrupt configuration in any case :)
 691 2017-09-14T19:32:54  <gmaxwell> thats the advantages of committess, one guy does all the work and everyone gets the credit!
 692 2017-09-14T19:33:01  <achow101> lol
 693 2017-09-14T19:33:09  <wumpus> haha good old USSR-style
 694 2017-09-14T19:33:14  <achow101> I found a way to reliably reproduce it
 695 2017-09-14T19:33:27  <gmaxwell> committees*
 696 2017-09-14T19:33:27  <achow101> which is the ncustomefeeradio thing, but I'm not sure what to do going forward
 697 2017-09-14T19:33:38  <sipa> achow101: i'm pretty sure that's the root cause
 698 2017-09-14T19:33:41  <wumpus> so how do we solve it?
 699 2017-09-14T19:33:52  <sipa> do we have to figure that out now?
 700 2017-09-14T19:34:04  <sipa> if there are no other topics, why not, i guess
 701 2017-09-14T19:34:04  <gmaxwell> achow101 will figure it out. our work here is done.
 702 2017-09-14T19:34:06  <wumpus> no, not really, I just wonder what is the use of a radio button with one option
 703 2017-09-14T19:34:20  <jonasschnelli> I'll can tackle the groupCustomFee segfault today
 704 2017-09-14T19:34:27  <wumpus> anyhow, any other topics?
 705 2017-09-14T19:34:35  <gmaxwell> wumpus: so you have the freedom to choose the Correct option, of course.
 706 2017-09-14T19:34:48  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 707 2017-09-14T19:34:49  <instagibbs> any color car as long as it is black
 708 2017-09-14T19:35:02  <wumpus> gmaxwell: lol!
 709 2017-09-14T19:35:03  <gmaxwell> time to ford ahead.
 710 2017-09-14T19:35:20  <BlueMatt> ok, fix is easy, I'll get it fixed right after meeting
 711 2017-09-14T19:35:22  <achow101> jonasschnelli: great!
 712 2017-09-14T19:35:24  <wumpus> anything to discuss for 0.15.1?
 713 2017-09-14T19:35:26  <BlueMatt> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/6ba2214e0fe57ecb9271819d2422ec44a9020a8d fixes it for now
 714 2017-09-14T19:35:34  <sipa> if there's nothing else; i have some open questions about segwit-by-default support in 0.15.1
 715 2017-09-14T19:35:35  *** arowser has quit IRC
 716 2017-09-14T19:35:46  <wumpus> #topic segwit-by-default support in 0.15.1
 717 2017-09-14T19:35:54  <BlueMatt> oh, wait, hmm
 718 2017-09-14T19:36:13  <sipa> my idea was to have a cmdline option to select a default address style, which could be p2pkh, p2sh-p2wpkh, or p2wpkh
 719 2017-09-14T19:36:23  <BlueMatt> or jonasschnelli can do it
 720 2017-09-14T19:36:24  *** arowser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 721 2017-09-14T19:36:27  <sipa> (where the middle one is default)
 722 2017-09-14T19:36:31  <sipa> and have an optional argument to getnewaddress to override it
 723 2017-09-14T19:36:34  <BlueMatt> sipa: seems reasonable?
 724 2017-09-14T19:36:43  <sipa> open question: separate option for change?
 725 2017-09-14T19:37:05  <instagibbs> imo yes
 726 2017-09-14T19:37:14  <BlueMatt> imo yes
 727 2017-09-14T19:37:24  <achow101> sipa: yes
 728 2017-09-14T19:37:26  <sipa> open question: do we want to return both p2wpkh and p2sh-p2wpkh (for now), as there is an efficiency gain when you want to give both to a peer
 729 2017-09-14T19:37:42  <sipa> downside: may not want we want to support longer term with split chains
 730 2017-09-14T19:37:46  <achow101> no, I think that will confuse people
 731 2017-09-14T19:37:49  <sipa> upside: more efficient to rescan
 732 2017-09-14T19:37:52  <instagibbs> I'd say no
 733 2017-09-14T19:37:58  <jonasschnelli> may confuse
 734 2017-09-14T19:38:10  <instagibbs> users who care will crank the option surely
 735 2017-09-14T19:38:17  <gmaxwell> we can't do that by default, interface breaking change.  If you want to call getnewaddress with style=gangnam and it returns both, that would be fine.
 736 2017-09-14T19:38:39  <achow101> style=gangnam <-- lol
 737 2017-09-14T19:38:56  <morcos> yep, i tested, running 0.14, setting the at least button, 0.15 crashes
 738 2017-09-14T19:39:00  <sipa> but style=gangnam would be pre-deprecated, and scheduled for removal in a future version
 739 2017-09-14T19:39:03  <morcos> oops was backlogged
 740 2017-09-14T19:39:12  <achow101> morcos: good to know that
 741 2017-09-14T19:39:13  <wumpus> hahahahaa
 742 2017-09-14T19:39:57  <BlueMatt> achow101: morcos also tested the 6ba2...fix from above, which fixed it, though the real fix isnt something that stupidly hacky
 743 2017-09-14T19:40:05  <sipa> ok, end of my topic
 744 2017-09-14T19:40:07  <cfields_> let's just let users decide with a 1-option combo-box :p
 745 2017-09-14T19:40:10  <gmaxwell> I'd say we could make the GUI show both too, except the URI/qr code can't really do that.
 746 2017-09-14T19:40:17  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 747 2017-09-14T19:40:19  <cfields_> er, radio
 748 2017-09-14T19:40:25  <sipa> cfields_: unary encoding, i like it
 749 2017-09-14T19:40:39  <morcos> wait, i'm confused
 750 2017-09-14T19:40:44  <morcos> are you serious about giving both addresses
 751 2017-09-14T19:40:48  <morcos> no, why would we do that
 752 2017-09-14T19:40:49  <BlueMatt> lets not do that
 753 2017-09-14T19:40:56  <BlueMatt> you could also just call getnewaddress twice
 754 2017-09-14T19:40:59  <BlueMatt> who cares
 755 2017-09-14T19:41:17  <gmaxwell> morcos: as an option. The reason is so you can say "here is the bech32 one if you can pay to it, otherwise use X"
 756 2017-09-14T19:41:17  <morcos> you should have a way of selecting which type of address you want for change or for getnewaddress
 757 2017-09-14T19:41:29  <morcos> then give them 2 different keys
 758 2017-09-14T19:41:34  <morcos> that's how it'll work in 0.16
 759 2017-09-14T19:41:56  <morcos> lets not try to be cheap and save a couple of keys and start teaching people that you can use one or the other
 760 2017-09-14T19:41:57  <sipa> BlueMatt: my wallet.dat barely fits on a 3.5" floppy disk anymore...
 761 2017-09-14T19:42:15  <cfields_> morcos: +1
 762 2017-09-14T19:42:17  <instagibbs> will there be an argument to getnewaddress to override?
 763 2017-09-14T19:42:21  <instagibbs> id hope so
 764 2017-09-14T19:42:21  <morcos> i agree that's a downside, but its more important to set the precedent that these thigns are NOT interoperable
 765 2017-09-14T19:42:24  <sipa> instagibbs: i hope so, yes
 766 2017-09-14T19:42:24  <morcos> yes
 767 2017-09-14T19:42:30  <instagibbs> ok, then that's fine
 768 2017-09-14T19:42:34  <gmaxwell> okay... when I talked to sipa about it my objection was that we couldn't support it in the future. his counter was that we don't have to offer it in the future.
 769 2017-09-14T19:42:35  <instagibbs> i prefer
 770 2017-09-14T19:42:42  <BlueMatt> somehow I doubt bdb is useable on floppy-latency disks anyway :p
 771 2017-09-14T19:42:53  <gmaxwell> instagibbs: yes, there would be an option, setting would just set the default.
 772 2017-09-14T19:43:14  <instagibbs> then I see no reason to return both
 773 2017-09-14T19:43:20  <wumpus> yes,we need to make it very clear they're not interoperable, that you can't, in general just convert the one to the othe and have it work
 774 2017-09-14T19:43:30  <BlueMatt> then require two getnewaddress calls
 775 2017-09-14T19:43:38  <sipa> sounds good, you need to call getnewaddress twice
 776 2017-09-14T19:43:40  <sipa> ack
 777 2017-09-14T19:43:44  <achow101> +1
 778 2017-09-14T19:43:46  <sipa> no gangnam
 779 2017-09-14T19:44:29  <morcos> also in the scheme of things, each 0.15.1 wallet is wasting 2000 + N * (# getnewaddress calls) + (# changes) keys.... where N is 2 if you do what I want (only in the cases where you give out both) or 1 if you do what you want
 780 2017-09-14T19:44:40  <morcos> it makes no difference relatively speaking for almost all users
 781 2017-09-14T19:44:59  *** promag has quit IRC
 782 2017-09-14T19:45:26  <jtimon> wumpus: ack on removing remember position functionality until we can test it automatically
 783 2017-09-14T19:45:48  <gmaxwell> jtimon has the gribble disease.
 784 2017-09-14T19:45:56  <wumpus> jtimon: that'd make sense, I guess
 785 2017-09-14T19:46:09  <gmaxwell> (20 minutes behind. :) )
 786 2017-09-14T19:46:16  <wumpus> seems the segwit-by-default topic is conclded, anything else?
 787 2017-09-14T19:47:15  <gmaxwell> I think we need to announce a workaround for this issue we all collectively figured out through our joint effort where no one person did all the work during the meeting.
 788 2017-09-14T19:47:23  <wumpus> haha yes gribble's behavior seemed very curious and random, before I realized it was just backlogged (or rather, github was?)
 789 2017-09-14T19:47:43  <BlueMatt> yes, do we have a mechanism for release errata?
 790 2017-09-14T19:47:46  <wumpus> or make a 0.15.0.1
 791 2017-09-14T19:48:04  <BlueMatt> given the ppa is still not up (cause arm qt...) I'll probably ship that with the hacky workaround patch posted above
 792 2017-09-14T19:48:15  <BlueMatt> unless there are objections
 793 2017-09-14T19:48:18  <wumpus> did you manage to debug the ARM qt issue? I'm curious
 794 2017-09-14T19:48:29  <wumpus> no objections, if you can patch it in your distro, do so
 795 2017-09-14T19:48:35  <wumpus> it's zero risk...
 796 2017-09-14T19:48:44  <BlueMatt> there appear to now be at least two separate issues, a miscompile, and I now have a stacktrace for another test_bitcoin-qt fail that I'm looking at now
 797 2017-09-14T19:48:46  <achow101> BlueMatt: I believe (not tested yet) that you can just remove L131 entirely
 798 2017-09-14T19:48:55  <sipa> let's fix the things at least in the 0.15 branch
 799 2017-09-14T19:49:16  <gmaxwell> I won't ack 0.15.0.1 because I do none of the required work for it but it might be nice.
 800 2017-09-14T19:49:17  <sipa> then depending on progress we can see whether it goes in 0.15.1, or if a 0.15.0.1 may be needed (at release manager's discretion...)
 801 2017-09-14T19:49:20  <wumpus> achow101: possibly, but BlueMatt's fix is obviosuly correct, a better fix is to just remove the setting completely
 802 2017-09-14T19:49:21  <BlueMatt> achow101: well the commit linked above works, so whatever
 803 2017-09-14T19:49:26  <wumpus> achow101: and the single-choice radio button
 804 2017-09-14T19:49:27  <gmaxwell> what sipa said
 805 2017-09-14T19:49:43  <wumpus> but for a quick hack that change is good
 806 2017-09-14T19:49:53  <morcos> in master can we please fix properly, remove the whole group
 807 2017-09-14T19:49:59  <wumpus> yes
 808 2017-09-14T19:50:01  <sipa> yes
 809 2017-09-14T19:50:03  <achow101> yes
 810 2017-09-14T19:50:14  <gmaxwell> yes
 811 2017-09-14T19:50:39  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
 812 2017-09-14T19:50:53  <gmaxwell> someone will need to contemplate how to prevent this kind of issue in the future.
 813 2017-09-14T19:50:56  <wumpus> well yes let's fix it on the branch then decide whether to do 0.15.0.1
 814 2017-09-14T19:51:10  <wumpus> better testing of the gui is the only answer
 815 2017-09-14T19:51:13  <achow101> gmaxwell: fuzz the qsettings options :)
 816 2017-09-14T19:51:17  <instagibbs> remove all features until qt is a single button
 817 2017-09-14T19:51:32  <jonasschnelli> Better GUI tests... but more important, "upgrade tests"
 818 2017-09-14T19:51:33  <gmaxwell> "moon"
 819 2017-09-14T19:51:41  <wumpus> hah
 820 2017-09-14T19:51:44  <jonasschnelli> Non of our test do cover upgrade of wallets, etc.
 821 2017-09-14T19:51:44  <gmaxwell> (responding to instagibbs)
 822 2017-09-14T19:52:00  <instagibbs> jonasschnelli, hmm good point
 823 2017-09-14T19:52:26  <jonasschnelli> Upgrade tests would probably require static data files from older versions....
 824 2017-09-14T19:52:31  <wumpus> well at least the reduced one radio buttons group to one button, that's a start...
 825 2017-09-14T19:52:34  <morcos> was fuzz qsettings a joke?   i did that with the fee estimation changes manually, i think thats a good idea
 826 2017-09-14T19:52:37  *** fpgaminer has quit IRC
 827 2017-09-14T19:52:37  <wumpus> s/the/we/
 828 2017-09-14T19:52:42  <achow101> morcos: not really
 829 2017-09-14T19:52:56  <wumpus> no, it's not a joke, it'd help with robustness against corrupt configs a lot
 830 2017-09-14T19:53:03  <morcos> ok, the smiley threw me
 831 2017-09-14T19:53:05  <wumpus> but as we're not even fuzzing bitcoin.conf settings yet
 832 2017-09-14T19:53:07  <achow101> but it would mean a lot more changes since weird shit in qsettings totally screws up qt
 833 2017-09-14T19:53:22  <morcos> ha ha, fuzzing bitcoin.conf DEFINITELY breaks things
 834 2017-09-14T19:53:23  <achow101> we would need better bad-setting rejection
 835 2017-09-14T19:53:29  <wumpus> gui testing is always at least 3 times as much work
 836 2017-09-14T19:53:30  <jtimon> sipa: yeah, both formats seems like un ugly optimization. Doesn't look like it's worth it
 837 2017-09-14T19:54:09  <gmaxwell> sipa: I think he's still 20min behind.
 838 2017-09-14T19:54:11  <jonasschnelli> Not sure if fuzzing qt-settings (QSettings) make sense. It's not a file edited by users
 839 2017-09-14T19:54:16  <morcos> is jtimon working on-site on the blockstream Mars project
 840 2017-09-14T19:54:17  <BlueMatt> jtimon: is stuck on moon
 841 2017-09-14T19:54:21  <jtimon> gmaxwell: well, I arrived 30 mins late
 842 2017-09-14T19:54:22  <jonasschnelli> Fuzzing peers.dat or similar would also make little sense I guess
 843 2017-09-14T19:54:23  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: but it can get corrupt, like anything
 844 2017-09-14T19:54:27  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 845 2017-09-14T19:54:43  <wumpus> though I agree there's a limit
 846 2017-09-14T19:54:54  <instagibbs> that would at least test it handles corrupted files right
 847 2017-09-14T19:55:00  <instagibbs> recently ran into a case where we werent
 848 2017-09-14T19:55:17  <jonasschnelli> Corrupt files should be handled by Qt IMO
 849 2017-09-14T19:55:25  <morcos> usually with bitcoin.conf we don't change the meaning of the options (cough cough sipa)
 850 2017-09-14T19:55:26  <jonasschnelli> The file itself is hidden on our application layer
 851 2017-09-14T19:55:30  <jonasschnelli> We just deal with QSettings
 852 2017-09-14T19:55:42  <morcos> we could be better about making sure we rename options in QT if we are goign to change their meaning
 853 2017-09-14T19:55:47  <wumpus> yes
 854 2017-09-14T19:56:00  <wumpus> much, much better to lose the setting than crash
 855 2017-09-14T19:56:03  <jonasschnelli> morcos: yes!
 856 2017-09-14T19:56:06  <wumpus> unless it's soomething like the proxy
 857 2017-09-14T19:56:40  <wumpus> but a nicety like remembering the fee setting? nah
 858 2017-09-14T19:56:42  <jtimon> 0.15.0.1 ? why not 15.0.1 directly and we stop writing the 0. prefix now? /me hides
 859 2017-09-14T19:56:42  <jonasschnelli> I don't understand why the crash does not happen on OSX (could only reproduce on Linux)
 860 2017-09-14T19:57:11  <wumpus> likely the implementation of radio button group is different there
 861 2017-09-14T19:57:36  <wumpus> making it return e.g. a dummy object instead of corruption or null when reading out of range
 862 2017-09-14T19:57:44  <wumpus> macosx users just got lucky
 863 2017-09-14T19:58:09  <sipa> wumpus: we have occasionally had x.x.x.1 released for bugfixes that affect just some platforms
 864 2017-09-14T19:58:14  <sipa> *releases
 865 2017-09-14T19:58:14  <instagibbs> 2 minutes
 866 2017-09-14T19:58:15  <morcos> one could argue they were silently forced to lose their at least setting which made them erroneously pay the wrong fees
 867 2017-09-14T19:58:26  <wumpus> sipa: yes, I wouldn't like to burn 0.15.1 on this mainly
 868 2017-09-14T19:58:32  <sipa> wumpus: agreed
 869 2017-09-14T19:58:48  <jtimon> finally catched up...to late to suggest a topic, but perhaps we can talk about it after the meeting
 870 2017-09-14T19:59:21  <jtimon> is about an index for scriptPubKeys
 871 2017-09-14T19:59:42  <wumpus> yes, we're done for today
 872 2017-09-14T19:59:45  <wumpus> #endmeeting
 873 2017-09-14T19:59:45  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Sep 14 19:59:45 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
 874 2017-09-14T19:59:45  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-09-14-19.00.html
 875 2017-09-14T19:59:45  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-09-14-19.00.txt
 876 2017-09-14T19:59:45  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-09-14-19.00.log.html
 877 2017-09-14T19:59:53  <achow101> ok bye. laptop is about to die
 878 2017-09-14T19:59:56  <jtimon> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9806 seems abandoned
 879 2017-09-14T20:00:12  <wumpus> jtimon: you mean of the utxo set?
 880 2017-09-14T20:00:52  <jtimon> how acceptable would be to maintain a scriptPubKey -> [list of outpoints using it] index ?
 881 2017-09-14T20:01:17  <jtimon> wumpus: well, spent outputs could be removed from the index or not
 882 2017-09-14T20:01:35  <wumpus> nack on a global index, concept ack on such an index over the UTXO set, would make it so easy to query any balance
 883 2017-09-14T20:01:43  <jtimon> perhaps with an option, or perhaps it's only acceptable for the utxo
 884 2017-09-14T20:02:06  <sipa> yeah, please no indexes that require the full chain
 885 2017-09-14T20:02:28  <wumpus> exactly
 886 2017-09-14T20:03:09  <adiabat> address index over utxo would be fun, I'd enable & use that
 887 2017-09-14T20:03:17  <jonasschnelli> ui->groupCustomFee->button((int)std::max(0, std::min(1, settings.value("nCustomFeeRadio").toInt())))->setChecked(true); <--- pretty fragile
 888 2017-09-14T20:03:18  <jonasschnelli> button() can return a nullptr
 889 2017-09-14T20:03:31  <adiabat> probably not too huge either
 890 2017-09-14T20:03:38  <jtimon> well, my thought was give an option -deletespent or something of the short, if you start using the index, it starts with an utxo at a given height, if you select the option, it conserves spent outputs but won't go to the past: if you want it full you need to reorg
 891 2017-09-14T20:03:47  <jonasschnelli> calling setChecked() on a nullptr won't crash OSX but does segfault (correctly) on linux
 892 2017-09-14T20:04:12  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: uhhhhhhh
 893 2017-09-14T20:04:14  <BlueMatt> I hope not?
 894 2017-09-14T20:04:39  <jtimon> but perhaps that's not acceptable either, anyway, thanks wumpus sipa that's useful to know
 895 2017-09-14T20:04:41  <jonasschnelli> Yeah.. seems strage... maybe a local issue.. it should crash
 896 2017-09-14T20:04:53  <wumpus> does it really return null when out of range though on osx?
 897 2017-09-14T20:05:00  <wumpus> or some softly padded dummy object
 898 2017-09-14T20:06:37  <cfields_> jonasschnelli: huh, i just saw something related to that in a recent qt changelog
 899 2017-09-14T20:08:09  <cfields_> jonasschnelli: no clue if related. not as relevant as i was thinking: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59391
 900 2017-09-14T20:08:34  <jonasschnelli> cfields_: thanks... will check later (on the run)
 901 2017-09-14T20:09:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #11332: Fix possible crash with invalid nCustomFeeRadio in QSettings (master...2017/09/qsettings_1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11332
 902 2017-09-14T20:11:05  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: I really dont think thats the right fix...groupCustomFee literally only contains one button now
 903 2017-09-14T20:11:15  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: better to just literally remove groupCustomFee and the button wholesale
 904 2017-09-14T20:11:22  <BlueMatt> as well as delete the nCustomFeeRadio setting
 905 2017-09-14T20:11:48  <gmaxwell> there are a half dozen places in the code where we ->button()->foo
 906 2017-09-14T20:11:50  <gmaxwell> fwiw
 907 2017-09-14T20:13:56  <achow101> Report of possibly same bug on osx: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2132893.msg21842556#msg21842556 from droark
 908 2017-09-14T20:15:21  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: yes. Agree. I just created the minimal possble fix (for backports).
 909 2017-09-14T20:15:37  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: see my above patch which I think is maybe cleaner if we're looking at backports
 910 2017-09-14T20:15:42  <BlueMatt> s/maybe//
 911 2017-09-14T20:15:49  <BlueMatt> but whats the harm in fixing it right for 0.15.1?
 912 2017-09-14T20:17:02  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: sorry,... where is your patch?
 913 2017-09-14T20:17:33  <BlueMatt> <BlueMatt> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/6ba2214e0fe57ecb9271819d2422ec44a9020a8d fixes it for now
 914 2017-09-14T20:17:35  <wumpus> bluematt's is the minimum possible - just make it always use button(0)
 915 2017-09-14T20:18:19  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: wumpus: okay. Makes more sense!... BlueMatt: do you pr?
 916 2017-09-14T20:18:26  <jonasschnelli> Or should I update my PR?
 917 2017-09-14T20:18:27  <sipa> minimal patch is "std::min(1, " -> "std::min(0, "
 918 2017-09-14T20:18:32  <sipa> :p
 919 2017-09-14T20:18:35  <jonasschnelli> heh
 920 2017-09-14T20:19:52  <wumpus> hah... yes, good point
 921 2017-09-14T20:20:32  <wumpus> that would have been the obvious correct fix too if the number of buttons was reduced to something else than 1
 922 2017-09-14T20:21:37  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: can we please just delete the buttons?
 923 2017-09-14T20:21:52  <BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: I see absolutely no harm in simply removing the group/button for 0.15.1
 924 2017-09-14T20:22:04  <achow101> I think removing the group is the right way to go here
 925 2017-09-14T20:22:07  <BlueMatt> (this is why i did not open my pr)
 926 2017-09-14T20:24:21  <wumpus> removing the whole group is a riskier change, though, it could potenitally introduce new issues
 927 2017-09-14T20:24:28  <wumpus> which is the right thing for master
 928 2017-09-14T20:24:34  <wumpus> but maybe not for 0.15.0.1 or w/e
 929 2017-09-14T20:24:52  <BlueMatt> hmm, alright up to you
 930 2017-09-14T20:24:56  <BlueMatt> i can pr mine against 15 if you like
 931 2017-09-14T20:26:03  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: remove for 0.16 is okay... but for a backport?
 932 2017-09-14T20:26:14  <BlueMatt> i figured it was fine, but...up to y'all
 933 2017-09-14T20:27:10  <achow101> Removing it could be backported to 0.15.1. for 0.15.0.1, BlueMatt's hack should be fine
 934 2017-09-14T20:27:22  <BlueMatt> wait, are we doing an 0.15.0.1?
 935 2017-09-14T20:27:34  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 936 2017-09-14T20:29:10  <achow101> Are we?
 937 2017-09-14T20:32:05  <jonasschnelli> okay,... overhauled #11332
 938 2017-09-14T20:32:06  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11332 | Fix possible crash with invalid nCustomFeeRadio in QSettings by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #11332 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 939 2017-09-14T20:32:33  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 940 2017-09-14T20:33:14  <jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: I'm trying to cherry-pick your https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/6ba2214e0fe57ecb9271819d2422ec44a9020a8d to keep you as author
 941 2017-09-14T20:33:32  <sipa> jonasschnelli: you can use git commit --author="..."
 942 2017-09-14T20:33:46  <sipa> if cherry picking is too hard, but you still want to retain author
 943 2017-09-14T20:33:57  <jonasschnelli> sipa: Oh... didn't knew you can.
 944 2017-09-14T20:34:00  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 945 2017-09-14T20:34:06  <jonasschnelli> I guess the signature does not matter
 946 2017-09-14T20:34:26  <sipa> if you're cherry picking, the gpg signature is removed anyway
 947 2017-09-14T20:34:34  <sipa> (as it would be invalid)
 948 2017-09-14T20:34:36  <jonasschnelli> Oh. Right
 949 2017-09-14T20:34:41  <jonasschnelli> hash will change
 950 2017-09-14T20:35:16  <MarcoFalke> You can still sign the cherry-pick with your key, if you prefer that
 951 2017-09-14T20:35:18  <BlueMatt> heh, for that fix I dont really care
 952 2017-09-14T20:35:27  <BlueMatt> we all figured out the bug live during meeting anyway
 953 2017-09-14T20:35:31  <BlueMatt> group effort :)
 954 2017-09-14T20:35:42  <jonasschnelli> Okay. Retained authorship: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11332/commits
 955 2017-09-14T20:38:07  *** promag has quit IRC
 956 2017-09-14T20:45:22  *** timothy has quit IRC
 957 2017-09-14T20:46:11  <achow101> I'm not sure if that solves 11171. The op tells me that he doesn't remember having that option set
 958 2017-09-14T20:50:12  <meshcollider> 11171 was a segfault in QTableView::setSortingEnabled
 959 2017-09-14T20:50:19  <meshcollider> This sounds unrelated to that?
 960 2017-09-14T20:51:15  *** goatpig has quit IRC
 961 2017-09-14T20:52:10  <meshcollider> #11262 has 2 separate issues in it, one in the OP and one in the comments, I think they're different
 962 2017-09-14T20:52:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11262 | bitcoin-qt segmentation fault · Issue #11262 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 963 2017-09-14T20:53:09  <meshcollider> Or at least probably a separate issue to 9683 and 9883
 964 2017-09-14T20:59:38  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 965 2017-09-14T21:02:11  <achow101> Meshcollder: I think you are talking about 11262
 966 2017-09-14T21:02:24  <achow101> Not 11171
 967 2017-09-14T21:02:29  <luke-jr> setSortingEnabled is a distraction: the crash is "free(): invalid next size (fast)" which indicates corrupt memory before it got there
 968 2017-09-14T21:02:50  <luke-jr> it could very well be 11332-related
 969 2017-09-14T21:03:13  <luke-jr> the only way to confirm is valgrind
 970 2017-09-14T21:03:29  <luke-jr> (on an affected system)
 971 2017-09-14T21:05:20  <jnewbery> jonasschnelli: (slightly delayed) you can also `get commit -C <hash>` if you want to retain the entire commit message including author - and there's no risk of mistyping the author's name
 972 2017-09-14T21:05:44  <jnewbery> s/get/git
 973 2017-09-14T21:06:01  * luke-jr learns uppercase -C skips the editor.
 974 2017-09-14T21:06:07  *** ShaunR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 975 2017-09-14T21:06:47  <achow101> Git has a lot of fun options that most people don't know about
 976 2017-09-14T21:07:23  <luke-jr> I'm probably the only one in the world who uses git write-tree <.<
 977 2017-09-14T21:07:40  <achow101> What's that?
 978 2017-09-14T21:07:47  <luke-jr>        git-write-tree - Create a tree object from the current index
 979 2017-09-14T21:08:16  <luke-jr> typically followed by git commit-tree
 980 2017-09-14T21:08:30  <luke-jr> in my case, I do this sequence to produce commits with more than 2 parents
 981 2017-09-14T21:08:41  <ShaunR> Has anybody ever proposed making bitcoind's blocknotify and walletnotify options support a URL?  So you could set -blocknotify="https://domain.com/bitcoind/notify/block.php" and have it POST %s?  I'm thinking about attempting to write that functionallity into bitcoind but unsure if anyone else would find it useful or if the devs would even consider adding it.
 982 2017-09-14T21:09:00  <luke-jr> ShaunR: -blocknotify='curl https://domain.com/bitcoind/notify/block.php?hash=%s'
 983 2017-09-14T21:09:10  <luke-jr> probably a trivial way to make it POST too
 984 2017-09-14T21:09:23  *** promag has quit IRC
 985 2017-09-14T21:09:24  <ShaunR> luke-jr: thats true, you could do something like that i guess.
 986 2017-09-14T21:09:51  <ShaunR> I was thinking about making it a bit more elaborate, like if the POST failed to queue the notification or something.
 987 2017-09-14T21:10:07  <luke-jr> could make blocknotify retry if the exit code is non-zero?
 988 2017-09-14T21:10:09  <ShaunR> but your solution may be the simplist right now.
 989 2017-09-14T21:10:30  <luke-jr> but tbh, retry logic could be outside too
 990 2017-09-14T21:11:58  <ShaunR> I wanted to avoid the requirement of a outside script/binary too
 991 2017-09-14T21:12:13  <esotericnonsense> yes, you could create an external script that queues notifications to do stuff with
 992 2017-09-14T21:12:47  <luke-jr> ShaunR: avoiding that requirement, is not a design goal IMO
 993 2017-09-14T21:12:49  <esotericnonsense> it'd probably be easier to use the zmq notification for that, just listen on it, add new entries to a queue, periodically try and flush the queue into this post mechanism
 994 2017-09-14T21:12:58  *** riemann has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 995 2017-09-14T21:13:03  <luke-jr> ShaunR: better to run as little code in the security-critical process as possible
 996 2017-09-14T21:13:05  <esotericnonsense> indeed, it's not really bitcoind's responsibility
 997 2017-09-14T21:13:18  <luke-jr> esotericnonsense: ZMQ is good at losing notifications
 998 2017-09-14T21:14:07  <esotericnonsense> luke-jr: using IPC? tcp over seperate machines, perhaps
 999 2017-09-14T21:15:05  *** riemann has quit IRC
1000 2017-09-14T21:15:12  <esotericnonsense> regardless of whether you use zmq or not it's similarly easy though :)
1001 2017-09-14T21:16:29  <achow101> harrymm: do you have a debug.log file from the time of the crash?
1002 2017-09-14T21:17:08  <esotericnonsense> from #bitcoin:  dingus | TYPO at the very top of https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.15.0 "14 October 2017" <- It's not October, yet, I hope
1003 2017-09-14T21:17:15  <luke-jr> ‎[21:11:33] ‎<‎dingus‎>‎ TYPO at the very top of https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.15.0 "14 October 2017" <- It's not October, yet, I hope
1004 2017-09-14T21:17:17  <luke-jr> yeah
1005 2017-09-14T21:17:49  <achow101> Lol
1006 2017-09-14T21:20:11  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1007 2017-09-14T21:21:07  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1008 2017-09-14T21:27:13  <kakobrekla> does `addwitnessaddress` work with watch-only addresses?
1009 2017-09-14T21:27:57  <sipa> yes
1010 2017-09-14T21:28:03  <kakobrekla> cool!
1011 2017-09-14T21:28:18  *** promag has quit IRC
1012 2017-09-14T21:28:39  <sipa> kakobrekla: however, if it isn't, you can still use importaddress on the result
1013 2017-09-14T21:28:52  <sdaftuar> sipa: only if its solvable, right?  isn't it possible to have a watch-only address that is not solvable?
1014 2017-09-14T21:29:04  *** molz has quit IRC
1015 2017-09-14T21:30:07  <sipa> right
1016 2017-09-14T21:30:35  <BlueMatt> 11326 likely needs 0.15 backport, no?
1017 2017-09-14T21:30:37  <wbnns> @esotericnonsense @lukejr Submitted #1803 to fix the typo.
1018 2017-09-14T21:30:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1803 | Apply MIT license to md2k7 art by luke-jr · Pull Request #1803 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
1019 2017-09-14T21:31:35  <esotericnonsense> actual url (wrong repo): https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/bitcoin.org/pull/1803
1020 2017-09-14T21:31:58  <wbnns> @esotericnonsense Thanks.
1021 2017-09-14T21:32:09  <esotericnonsense> you too :)
1022 2017-09-14T21:32:11  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
1023 2017-09-14T21:32:38  <wbnns> :)
1024 2017-09-14T21:48:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11333: Use `std::nth_element` instead of `std::sort` to calculate median time past (master...improve/median-time-past) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11333
1025 2017-09-14T22:01:20  *** wxxs has quit IRC
1026 2017-09-14T22:07:05  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
1027 2017-09-14T22:26:33  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1028 2017-09-14T22:54:10  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1029 2017-09-14T22:54:10  *** promag has quit IRC
1030 2017-09-14T22:55:21  *** DrOlmer has quit IRC
1031 2017-09-14T22:55:35  *** promag_ has quit IRC
1032 2017-09-14T22:55:53  *** DrOlmer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1033 2017-09-14T23:00:20  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1034 2017-09-14T23:07:21  *** tloriato has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1035 2017-09-14T23:09:03  <tloriato> Hello! I was looking for how I could import a BIP32 Extended Key into the Bitcoin Core wallet? I've tried the RPC Documentation but got no luck there.
1036 2017-09-14T23:09:09  <sipa> you can't
1037 2017-09-14T23:09:59  <tloriato> So I have to derive each desired path using another lib and import it with WIF?
1038 2017-09-14T23:10:30  <sipa> for now, yes
1039 2017-09-14T23:11:35  <tloriato> thank you, sipa
1040 2017-09-14T23:12:40  <tloriato> oh, one more thing, sorry! bitcoin core uses m/0'/0'/k' for derivation path
1041 2017-09-14T23:12:58  <tloriato> is there a way I could request a new address from an arbitrary path from the rpc?
1042 2017-09-14T23:13:21  <tloriato> or at least associate one i ( m/0'/i'/k' ) for one account?
1043 2017-09-14T23:13:31  <sipa> no, new addresses come from the keypool, which is preloaded with keys from one chain
1044 2017-09-14T23:13:43  <sipa> in 0.15, there are two chains (one for normal addresses, one for change)
1045 2017-09-14T23:13:56  <sipa> and no, you can't configure the path - especially not for accounts, which are deprecated
1046 2017-09-14T23:14:48  <tloriato> Well, I think I have the information that I need now.
1047 2017-09-14T23:14:54  <tloriato> Thanks sipa, it was really helpful
1048 2017-09-14T23:14:58  <sipa> yw
1049 2017-09-14T23:15:45  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
1050 2017-09-14T23:19:37  <tloriato> sipa in which cases does the bitcoin wallet changes the i from the path?
1051 2017-09-14T23:20:09  <tloriato> ( for reference m/0'/i'/k' )
1052 2017-09-14T23:20:26  <sipa> i=0 for normal addresses, i=1 for change
1053 2017-09-14T23:21:00  <tloriato> oh, ok! thanks
1054 2017-09-14T23:24:58  *** PRab has quit IRC
1055 2017-09-14T23:28:10  *** tloriato has quit IRC
1056 2017-09-14T23:30:35  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1057 2017-09-14T23:34:05  *** Aaronva__ has quit IRC
1058 2017-09-14T23:48:49  *** paracyst has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
1059 2017-09-14T23:52:13  *** promag has quit IRC
1060 2017-09-14T23:57:54  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
1061 2017-09-14T23:58:21  *** abpa has quit IRC