1 2017-10-26T00:00:50  *** mxg has quit IRC
  2 2017-10-26T00:01:31  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
  3 2017-10-26T00:22:17  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2017-10-26T00:43:55  *** mxg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2017-10-26T00:45:00  *** mxg has quit IRC
  6 2017-10-26T00:45:30  *** mxg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2017-10-26T00:51:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #11563: Improve CheckBlockIndex performance (master...2017-10-improve-checkblockindex) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11563
  8 2017-10-26T01:00:07  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2017-10-26T01:01:57  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 10 2017-10-26T01:04:09  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
 11 2017-10-26T01:05:01  *** promag has quit IRC
 12 2017-10-26T01:05:47  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
 13 2017-10-26T01:16:07  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2017-10-26T01:17:24  *** Antranik has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2017-10-26T01:19:12  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2017-10-26T01:22:20  *** axsion has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2017-10-26T01:25:26  <Antranik> how about them dev forks ey
 18 2017-10-26T01:26:55  *** axsion has quit IRC
 19 2017-10-26T01:39:00  *** arowser has quit IRC
 20 2017-10-26T01:46:20  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 21 2017-10-26T02:00:19  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2017-10-26T02:17:21  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 23 2017-10-26T02:18:37  <jb55> #bitcoin-forks
 24 2017-10-26T02:26:19  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 25 2017-10-26T02:26:54  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2017-10-26T02:46:57  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 27 2017-10-26T02:50:45  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2017-10-26T02:54:37  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 29 2017-10-26T02:54:38  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 30 2017-10-26T02:55:56  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2017-10-26T02:57:01  *** chjj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2017-10-26T03:00:12  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 33 2017-10-26T03:08:44  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2017-10-26T03:20:18  *** wxss has quit IRC
 35 2017-10-26T03:27:20  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2017-10-26T03:54:42  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 37 2017-10-26T03:54:58  *** mxg has quit IRC
 38 2017-10-26T04:00:07  <gmaxwell> sdaftuar: do we learn about a peer's tip from GETHEADERS messages they send us... e.g. if they send us a getheaders whos locator starts with our current tip will we update them to that
 39 2017-10-26T04:09:37  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 40 2017-10-26T04:21:43  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2017-10-26T04:27:22  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 42 2017-10-26T04:27:49  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2017-10-26T04:41:05  *** sipa has quit IRC
 44 2017-10-26T04:41:19  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2017-10-26T04:49:32  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 46 2017-10-26T05:01:24  *** cheetah2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2017-10-26T05:02:01  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 48 2017-10-26T05:02:54  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2017-10-26T05:03:10  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2017-10-26T05:04:32  *** randy-waterhouse has quit IRC
 51 2017-10-26T05:06:00  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2017-10-26T05:06:08  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2017-10-26T05:06:24  *** randy-waterhouse has quit IRC
 54 2017-10-26T05:06:25  *** randy-waterhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2017-10-26T05:24:06  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2017-10-26T05:27:10  *** Ejy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2017-10-26T05:32:06  *** Cryptobit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2017-10-26T05:42:59  *** Provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2017-10-26T05:52:14  *** jonasschnelli has quit IRC
 60 2017-10-26T05:52:14  *** jonasschnelli has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2017-10-26T05:55:29  *** roadcrap has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2017-10-26T05:58:03  *** Cryptobit has quit IRC
 63 2017-10-26T06:00:23  *** cheetah2 has quit IRC
 64 2017-10-26T06:02:49  *** Ejy_ has quit IRC
 65 2017-10-26T06:07:32  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2017-10-26T06:07:32  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2017-10-26T06:22:23  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 68 2017-10-26T06:23:48  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2017-10-26T06:37:10  *** jdouglas74 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2017-10-26T06:37:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #7601: [WIP] HTLC implementation in the wallet (master...zkcp) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7601
 71 2017-10-26T06:47:20  *** jdouglas74 has quit IRC
 72 2017-10-26T07:19:28  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2017-10-26T07:20:52  *** randy-waterhouse has quit IRC
 74 2017-10-26T07:23:35  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 75 2017-10-26T07:26:35  *** Provoostenator has quit IRC
 76 2017-10-26T07:41:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2017-10-26T07:48:08  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2017-10-26T07:58:06  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2017-10-26T08:01:24  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2017-10-26T08:04:16  *** alreadylate has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2017-10-26T08:05:52  *** xinxi has quit IRC
 82 2017-10-26T08:06:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 83 2017-10-26T08:13:27  *** Emcy has quit IRC
 84 2017-10-26T08:21:09  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2017-10-26T08:23:02  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 86 2017-10-26T08:23:15  *** decho has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2017-10-26T08:27:29  *** decho has quit IRC
 88 2017-10-26T08:33:14  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2017-10-26T08:33:44  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2017-10-26T08:38:22  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
 91 2017-10-26T08:39:13  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2017-10-26T08:43:57  *** marko_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2017-10-26T08:44:52  *** marko_ has quit IRC
 94 2017-10-26T08:51:00  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 95 2017-10-26T08:56:33  *** wumpus has quit IRC
 96 2017-10-26T08:58:49  *** wumpus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2017-10-26T08:59:33  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2017-10-26T09:02:48  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2017-10-26T09:06:06  *** Emcy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2017-10-26T09:07:22  *** Emcy has quit IRC
101 2017-10-26T09:08:32  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
102 2017-10-26T09:09:39  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2017-10-26T09:12:08  *** Emcy_ has quit IRC
104 2017-10-26T09:12:56  *** Emcy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2017-10-26T09:16:06  *** Emcy has quit IRC
106 2017-10-26T09:18:17  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2017-10-26T09:23:52  *** CubicEar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2017-10-26T09:24:16  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
109 2017-10-26T09:24:18  *** promag has quit IRC
110 2017-10-26T09:28:35  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2017-10-26T09:28:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2017-10-26T09:29:00  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: my understanding of the scheduler is that it'll start scheduling callbacks at some point after startup, so i wouldn't expect the network to be completely synced
113 2017-10-26T09:29:18  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: also there's random drift, since the scheduler schedules the next callback N milliseconds after the prior one finishes
114 2017-10-26T09:29:39  <sdaftuar> but worth discussing whether the interval is short enough that there still might be too much concentration of everyone trying to find a new peer
115 2017-10-26T09:30:12  <sdaftuar> gmaxwell: regarding getheaders/locator -- no we don't update pindexBestKnownBlock from a peer's locator
116 2017-10-26T09:30:25  <sdaftuar> we use pindexBestKnownBlock to figure out what blocks we can download from our peer
117 2017-10-26T09:30:57  <sdaftuar> and the peer will update its locator based on headers it knows (not blocks!) during initial headers sync
118 2017-10-26T09:31:33  <sdaftuar> in order to sync the whole headers chain (and given the MAX_HEADERS_RESULTS constraint on headers messages)
119 2017-10-26T09:38:39  *** jb55 has quit IRC
120 2017-10-26T09:41:17  *** m8tion has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2017-10-26T09:45:00  *** promag has quit IRC
122 2017-10-26T09:47:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2017-10-26T09:48:25  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2017-10-26T09:55:18  *** promag has quit IRC
125 2017-10-26T09:57:21  *** xinxi has quit IRC
126 2017-10-26T09:58:44  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2017-10-26T10:06:20  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
128 2017-10-26T10:06:21  *** promag has quit IRC
129 2017-10-26T10:07:06  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2017-10-26T10:14:13  *** Emcy_ has quit IRC
131 2017-10-26T10:15:01  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2017-10-26T10:17:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2017-10-26T10:20:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors closed pull request #11557: WIP: Use Sat/WU instead of (μ/m)BTC/kB (master...fee-sat-per-wu) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11557
134 2017-10-26T10:26:01  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
135 2017-10-26T10:43:34  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2017-10-26T10:51:55  *** promag has quit IRC
137 2017-10-26T10:56:41  *** xinxi has quit IRC
138 2017-10-26T11:13:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ryanofsky opened pull request #11565: Make listsinceblock refuse unknown block hash (master...pr/since) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11565
139 2017-10-26T11:23:52  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2017-10-26T11:31:21  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2017-10-26T11:32:26  *** ula has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2017-10-26T11:34:07  *** alreadylate has quit IRC
143 2017-10-26T11:47:04  *** wxss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2017-10-26T11:48:32  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
145 2017-10-26T11:50:51  *** Antranik has quit IRC
146 2017-10-26T11:51:18  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2017-10-26T12:05:09  *** d_p_ has quit IRC
148 2017-10-26T12:05:09  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
149 2017-10-26T12:05:09  *** dermoth has quit IRC
150 2017-10-26T12:05:09  *** arubi has quit IRC
151 2017-10-26T12:05:09  *** intcat has quit IRC
152 2017-10-26T12:05:58  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2017-10-26T12:06:19  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2017-10-26T12:07:27  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2017-10-26T12:11:37  *** d_p has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2017-10-26T12:33:55  *** arubi has quit IRC
157 2017-10-26T12:41:27  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
158 2017-10-26T12:41:57  *** CubicEar_ has quit IRC
159 2017-10-26T12:51:33  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2017-10-26T12:59:27  *** spinza has quit IRC
161 2017-10-26T13:04:19  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2017-10-26T13:09:22  *** rafalcpp_ has quit IRC
163 2017-10-26T13:09:45  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2017-10-26T13:16:06  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2017-10-26T13:17:10  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2017-10-26T13:19:56  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
167 2017-10-26T13:20:19  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
168 2017-10-26T13:38:32  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-10-26T13:39:00  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2017-10-26T13:41:32  *** arubi has quit IRC
171 2017-10-26T13:44:11  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2017-10-26T13:45:37  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2017-10-26T13:53:49  *** Emcy has quit IRC
174 2017-10-26T13:53:54  *** BashCo has quit IRC
175 2017-10-26T13:54:09  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2017-10-26T13:57:02  *** alreadylate has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2017-10-26T13:58:19  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-10-26T13:59:13  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
179 2017-10-26T13:59:19  *** Guest21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2017-10-26T13:59:37  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
181 2017-10-26T14:04:56  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2017-10-26T14:14:28  *** nony has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2017-10-26T14:16:11  *** BashCo has quit IRC
184 2017-10-26T14:16:14  *** promag has quit IRC
185 2017-10-26T14:18:31  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2017-10-26T14:27:20  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
187 2017-10-26T14:33:11  *** nony has quit IRC
188 2017-10-26T14:35:13  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
189 2017-10-26T14:41:05  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
190 2017-10-26T14:42:03  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2017-10-26T14:48:11  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2017-10-26T14:48:52  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2017-10-26T14:48:58  *** Emcy has quit IRC
194 2017-10-26T14:49:34  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2017-10-26T14:49:41  *** Emcy has quit IRC
196 2017-10-26T14:49:42  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2017-10-26T14:55:44  *** Emcy has quit IRC
198 2017-10-26T14:58:41  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2017-10-26T15:01:45  *** gaf_ has quit IRC
200 2017-10-26T15:08:46  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
201 2017-10-26T15:11:53  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2017-10-26T15:16:34  *** jb55 has quit IRC
203 2017-10-26T15:26:01  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2017-10-26T15:27:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] pkaksha opened pull request #11566: 0.9 (master...0.9) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11566
205 2017-10-26T15:28:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/57ee73990f1c...cf8c4a7633b1
206 2017-10-26T15:28:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa81534 MarcoFalke: Add share/rpcuser to dist. source code archive
207 2017-10-26T15:28:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master cf8c4a7 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11530: Add share/rpcuser to dist. source code archive...
208 2017-10-26T15:28:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11530: Add share/rpcuser to dist. source code archive (master...Mf1710-distShare) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11530
209 2017-10-26T15:29:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/265bb214ecf616a7a55fc979a227d5f215046d84
210 2017-10-26T15:29:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 265bb21 MarcoFalke: Add share/rpcuser to dist. source code archive...
211 2017-10-26T15:34:07  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
212 2017-10-26T15:34:18  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2017-10-26T15:36:38  *** BashCo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2017-10-26T15:38:31  *** BashCo has quit IRC
215 2017-10-26T15:42:36  *** timothy has quit IRC
216 2017-10-26T15:47:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #11566: 0.9 (master...0.9) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11566
217 2017-10-26T15:49:39  *** intcat has quit IRC
218 2017-10-26T15:50:43  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2017-10-26T15:52:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
220 2017-10-26T15:53:09  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2017-10-26T15:57:33  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
222 2017-10-26T16:16:31  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
223 2017-10-26T16:17:27  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2017-10-26T16:25:36  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2017-10-26T16:26:05  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
226 2017-10-26T16:27:09  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2017-10-26T16:28:46  *** BashCo_ has quit IRC
228 2017-10-26T16:36:55  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2017-10-26T16:50:17  *** quantbot has quit IRC
230 2017-10-26T16:50:43  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2017-10-26T16:52:30  *** m8tion has quit IRC
232 2017-10-26T16:56:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar closed pull request #11534: Evict outbound peers if tip is stale (master...2017-10-stale-tip-eviction) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11534
233 2017-10-26T17:08:16  *** pergaminho has quit IRC
234 2017-10-26T17:12:40  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
235 2017-10-26T17:12:48  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2017-10-26T17:15:58  *** BashCo has quit IRC
237 2017-10-26T17:20:07  *** ula has quit IRC
238 2017-10-26T17:28:36  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2017-10-26T17:29:29  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2017-10-26T17:31:41  *** quantbot has quit IRC
241 2017-10-26T17:43:04  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2017-10-26T17:44:08  *** RubenSomsen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2017-10-26T17:55:26  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2017-10-26T17:56:51  *** Testing has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2017-10-26T17:57:14  *** Testing is now known as Guest9936
246 2017-10-26T17:58:55  *** xinxi has quit IRC
247 2017-10-26T17:59:29  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2017-10-26T18:01:54  *** quantbot has quit IRC
249 2017-10-26T18:02:20  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2017-10-26T18:06:27  *** quantbot has quit IRC
251 2017-10-26T18:12:54  *** ula has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2017-10-26T18:21:46  *** BashCo has quit IRC
253 2017-10-26T18:35:53  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
254 2017-10-26T18:52:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2017-10-26T18:55:42  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2017-10-26T18:55:48  *** maaku has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2017-10-26T18:55:59  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2017-10-26T18:59:49  *** Guest9936 has quit IRC
259 2017-10-26T19:00:12  <achow101> meeting?
260 2017-10-26T19:00:15  <sdaftuar> meeting
261 2017-10-26T19:00:33  <promag> +1
262 2017-10-26T19:00:35  *** StopAndDecrypt|p has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2017-10-26T19:00:53  <wumpus> #startmeeting
264 2017-10-26T19:00:53  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct 26 19:00:53 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
265 2017-10-26T19:00:53  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
266 2017-10-26T19:01:10  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101
267 2017-10-26T19:01:17  <achow101> hi
268 2017-10-26T19:01:19  <meshcollider> Hi
269 2017-10-26T19:01:49  <kanzure> hi.
270 2017-10-26T19:02:04  <wumpus> #topic 0.15.0.2
271 2017-10-26T19:02:18  <cfields> hi
272 2017-10-26T19:02:18  *** alreadylate has quit IRC
273 2017-10-26T19:02:38  <wumpus> anything ready for merge there?
274 2017-10-26T19:02:42  <maaku> present
275 2017-10-26T19:02:48  <sdaftuar> i think #11490 is ready?  maybe needs another ACK?
276 2017-10-26T19:02:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11490 | Disconnect from outbound peers with bad headers chains by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11490 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
277 2017-10-26T19:03:21  <jtimon> hi
278 2017-10-26T19:03:38  <wumpus> ok, good to know
279 2017-10-26T19:03:50  <wumpus> #action merge 11490
280 2017-10-26T19:03:51  <gmaxwell> Hi.
281 2017-10-26T19:04:19  <cfields> 11490 looked good last i looked, will take a quick look at the last changes and re-ack
282 2017-10-26T19:04:26  <gmaxwell> sdaftuar: I already ACKed it.  I think it's pretty great.
283 2017-10-26T19:04:29  <sdaftuar> thanks!
284 2017-10-26T19:04:32  <achow101> gmaxwell: found a peer that his node with 11490 kicked. we're not sure whether it was kicked for being brain dead or spynode
285 2017-10-26T19:04:39  <achow101> or ibd
286 2017-10-26T19:04:48  <gmaxwell> but is should have been kicked regardless.
287 2017-10-26T19:05:02  <wumpus> yes was about to say that
288 2017-10-26T19:05:18  <wumpus> seems an improvement in any case to kick it :)
289 2017-10-26T19:05:21  <jtimon> I was going to say if there was anything stopping 8994, but it needs rebase...
290 2017-10-26T19:05:24  <achow101> ok, I just wasn't sure that it would effect nodes in inbd
291 2017-10-26T19:05:34  <gmaxwell> Yes, I've had a node running the patch for a few days and after the first day I started cycling out all my outbounds every few hours with the hopes of hitting some broken peers.
292 2017-10-26T19:05:49  <gmaxwell> achow101: yes, it should-- they're useless to us as outbound targets.
293 2017-10-26T19:06:09  <achow101> oh right, duh. outbound..
294 2017-10-26T19:06:17  <gmaxwell> .yes, this is outbound only
295 2017-10-26T19:06:44  <gmaxwell> and it avoids acting on 4 peers. so even if it goes nuts and kicks things it shouldn't the damage is limited.
296 2017-10-26T19:08:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar opened pull request #11568: Disconnect outbound peers on invalid chains (master...2017-10-disconnect-outbound-peers-on-invalid-chains) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11568
297 2017-10-26T19:08:14  <sdaftuar> also i think i have a fix to #11446 that should satisfy concerns raised in that PR ^^^
298 2017-10-26T19:08:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11446 | Disconnect Peers for Duplicate Invalid blocks. by achow101 · Pull Request #11446 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
299 2017-10-26T19:08:24  <achow101> sdaftuar: yay
300 2017-10-26T19:08:30  <cfields> tangentially, does it not make sense to take their blockheight in version into consideration? sure it can be spoofed higher, but if it's low and we're in IBD (and presumably they are too), is it worth it to hang around?
301 2017-10-26T19:08:35  <gmaxwell> to reiterite why this specific patch is important; beyond general braindead peer elimination, it addresses the case where you have peers on incompatible consensus rules which you aren't discovering because their chain has less work, so you aren't fetching their invalid blocks.
302 2017-10-26T19:08:48  <sdaftuar> it's a refactor unfortunately, so not sure it is a good candidate for backport to 0.15.  but it was simple to do
303 2017-10-26T19:08:53  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2017-10-26T19:09:01  <gmaxwell> cfields: well someone could have a lower height but more work chain
305 2017-10-26T19:09:29  <wumpus> yes, so for 0.15.0.2 we have open at the moment, apart from the one just discussed:  #11560 #11446 #10593
306 2017-10-26T19:09:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11560 | Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
307 2017-10-26T19:09:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11446 | Disconnect Peers for Duplicate Invalid blocks. by achow101 · Pull Request #11446 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
308 2017-10-26T19:09:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10593 | Relax punishment for peers relaying invalid blocks and headers by luke-jr · Pull Request #10593 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
309 2017-10-26T19:09:57  <sdaftuar> #11560 as well
310 2017-10-26T19:09:59  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11560 | Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
311 2017-10-26T19:10:03  <sdaftuar> oh nvm you had that
312 2017-10-26T19:10:07  <wumpus>  #11446 has some doubts from BlueMatt
313 2017-10-26T19:10:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11446 | Disconnect Peers for Duplicate Invalid blocks. by achow101 · Pull Request #11446 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
314 2017-10-26T19:10:47  <meshcollider> Is #11531 also aimed for 0.15.0.2?
315 2017-10-26T19:10:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11531 | Check that new headers are not a descendant of an invalid block (more effeciently) by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11531 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
316 2017-10-26T19:10:58  <jnewbery> #10593 seems to be reverting unrelated code with no rationale, so I think that can be untagged
317 2017-10-26T19:11:00  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10593 | Relax punishment for peers relaying invalid blocks and headers by luke-jr · Pull Request #10593 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
318 2017-10-26T19:11:18  <achow101> I guess 11446 has some edge cases that could be problematic
319 2017-10-26T19:11:27  <gmaxwell> for some reason I thought what we were doing in 11446 was outbound only. I agree that our agressiveness increases here should be outbound only.
320 2017-10-26T19:11:45  <luke-jr> jnewbery: reverting what? it removes tests that check for the behaviour that is being removed
321 2017-10-26T19:11:47  <wumpus> ok added 11531
322 2017-10-26T19:11:47  <gmaxwell> it's important that we don't fully partition old nodes during a softfork.
323 2017-10-26T19:12:01  <achow101> it would be better if we could get more granular errors from processnewblockheaders
324 2017-10-26T19:12:02  <wumpus> how much time do we have left?
325 2017-10-26T19:12:07  <sdaftuar> 11568 is the same as 11446, except it avoids disconnecting hb compact block peers, and only applies to outbound peers
326 2017-10-26T19:12:22  <wumpus> sdaftuar: ok we should remove one, then :)
327 2017-10-26T19:12:43  <sdaftuar> agreed :)
328 2017-10-26T19:12:56  <wumpus> eh wait 11568 isn't tagged 0.15.0.2 at all
329 2017-10-26T19:13:00  <cfields> heh, it's getting hard to keep up with these
330 2017-10-26T19:13:04  <achow101> wumpus: it was just made
331 2017-10-26T19:13:17  <sdaftuar> i was trying to open it before the meeting started, doh
332 2017-10-26T19:13:27  <wumpus> cfields: very hard, yes
333 2017-10-26T19:13:29  <achow101> if 11568 is 11446 but only for outbound peers, I'm fine with that
334 2017-10-26T19:13:42  <jnewbery> luke-jr: I haven't fully dug into it, but it regresses #8305, no?
335 2017-10-26T19:13:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8305 | Improve handling of unconnecting headers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #8305 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
336 2017-10-26T19:13:56  <wumpus> ok, replacing 11446 then
337 2017-10-26T19:13:59  <BlueMatt> I mean if we want a 0.15.0.2 we literally need to rc tomorrow or this weekend, imo
338 2017-10-26T19:14:48  <gmaxwell> 11568 looks good on first run through.
339 2017-10-26T19:15:04  <cfields> disclosure there: I'll be away after tomorrow night until tuesday morning
340 2017-10-26T19:15:24  <wumpus> BlueMatt: what can we realistically merge before that time?
341 2017-10-26T19:15:40  <luke-jr> jnewbery: I don't think so - 8305 disconnects under certain conditions, but 10593 disconnects a superset of those conditions
342 2017-10-26T19:15:42  <cfields> i can make plans to be available for building if really necessary
343 2017-10-26T19:15:55  <BlueMatt> wumpus: I dont think a sufficient set to make 0.15.0.2 worth it
344 2017-10-26T19:16:08  <gmaxwell> I think probably if you try you can merge one PR per minute... we could empty out github by then, no problem.. just lots of button pushing!
345 2017-10-26T19:16:21  <meshcollider> lol
346 2017-10-26T19:16:23  <wumpus> well we have some fixes on the 0.15 branch already that are nice
347 2017-10-26T19:16:24  <BlueMatt> heh
348 2017-10-26T19:16:34  <wumpus> but I agree it kind of misses the point
349 2017-10-26T19:16:39  <BlueMatt> wumpus: anything worth an 0.15.0.2?
350 2017-10-26T19:17:05  <wumpus> BlueMatt: well it's a minor-minor release, that's not a high bar, but yes
351 2017-10-26T19:17:19  <BlueMatt> I mean things like #11531, which may be important as far as our b2x-shitshow fixes go, are smack-dab in the middle of consensus code and have not review yet?
352 2017-10-26T19:17:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11531 | Check that new headers are not a descendant of an invalid block (more effeciently) by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11531 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
353 2017-10-26T19:17:24  <wumpus> BlueMatt: nothing that warrants hurring it though
354 2017-10-26T19:17:37  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2017-10-26T19:17:44  <BlueMatt> I suppose it may be worth it to get an 0.15.0.2 out like day-before b2x-shitshow
356 2017-10-26T19:17:58  <gmaxwell> even a small portion of the network running it is protective.
357 2017-10-26T19:18:00  <BlueMatt> then at least if some asshat spins up a billion stupid sybil nodes there is a response
358 2017-10-26T19:18:12  <morcos> BlueMatt: +1
359 2017-10-26T19:18:20  <BlueMatt> but we need to be clear what our target is here
360 2017-10-26T19:18:22  <gmaxwell> at least if we cover the major possible cases:  Fork has low to no hashpower, fork has higher hashpower for the case where we're completely partitioned by surrounded by forknodes or where we're partially surrounded.
361 2017-10-26T19:18:23  <BlueMatt> and really focus on it
362 2017-10-26T19:18:29  <BlueMatt> there hasnt been much progress the last 3 weeks
363 2017-10-26T19:18:45  <BlueMatt> (I'm to blame there, too, I've been mostly mia)
364 2017-10-26T19:18:46  <gmaxwell> I think there has been a lot of progress.
365 2017-10-26T19:18:53  *** jb55 has quit IRC
366 2017-10-26T19:18:59  <gmaxwell> sdaftuar has been right on top of making changes.
367 2017-10-26T19:19:07  <BlueMatt> sorry, lots of progress on making new prs, rewriting prs, talking about issues, lack of *merge* progress
368 2017-10-26T19:19:14  <wumpus> yes there absolutely has been a lot of progress, PR after PR
369 2017-10-26T19:19:15  <BlueMatt> or finalizing review for things to get merged
370 2017-10-26T19:19:25  <wumpus> but very little merging, yeah
371 2017-10-26T19:19:38  <morcos> have we finalized the list
372 2017-10-26T19:19:43  <morcos> lets focus on that
373 2017-10-26T19:19:55  <morcos> and then everyone commit to reviewing 2 of them over the next 24 hours
374 2017-10-26T19:19:58  <BlueMatt> well one thing on it was opened today cause it was decided to also be important/replace other things
375 2017-10-26T19:19:58  <morcos> and we'll see where we stand
376 2017-10-26T19:20:05  <wumpus> no, it seems to change every week
377 2017-10-26T19:20:11  <morcos> wumpus: exactly
378 2017-10-26T19:20:18  <BlueMatt> but, yea, I think if we want to see hhis happen, we can get it out day-or-two-before-ish, but we need review *today*
379 2017-10-26T19:20:25  <cfields> agree with gmaxwell about focusing on those things that may actually be of significance in the next month
380 2017-10-26T19:20:26  <wumpus> as cfieds said it's hard to keep track of
381 2017-10-26T19:20:35  <BlueMatt> I think they're all tagged now, no?
382 2017-10-26T19:20:40  <gmaxwell> To get the full coverage of those sets of cases, we need 11490, 11560, and 11568-or-11446
383 2017-10-26T19:20:45  <morcos> focus... BlueMatt, sipa, gmaxwell, sdaftuar you guys have been thinking abou tthis the most... look at the list right now and be confident it is right and if not fix it
384 2017-10-26T19:20:48  <BlueMatt> except #10593, ignore that
385 2017-10-26T19:20:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10593 | Relax punishment for peers relaying invalid blocks and headers by luke-jr · Pull Request #10593 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
386 2017-10-26T19:20:52  <achow101> I think we can remove 10593
387 2017-10-26T19:21:00  <morcos> stop arguing with Belshe on the web
388 2017-10-26T19:21:06  <sdaftuar> :)
389 2017-10-26T19:21:24  <wumpus> ok removed 10593
390 2017-10-26T19:21:25  <BlueMatt> yea, 10593 got nack'ed (correctly, imo) a while ago
391 2017-10-26T19:21:29  <gmaxwell> 11490 covers the case where fork has lower hashpower and doesn't completely surround you,  11560 covers where it has higher hashpower, 11568-or-11446 covers where it has lower and may completely surround you.
392 2017-10-26T19:21:36  <luke-jr> does something else cover the cases 10593 does?
393 2017-10-26T19:21:57  <rafalcpp> sorry if stupid question,  but re   `semOutbound = new CSemaphore(std::min((nMaxOutbound + nMaxFeeler + nMaxExtraOutbound), nMaxConnections));`   if we're at nMaxOutbound == nMaxConnections  doesn't it mean node in such conditin will not try to resolve being stalled?  dunno if that's any issue
394 2017-10-26T19:22:03  <morcos> luke-jr: explicit case you're worried about not being covered (soft forks? , we can worry abou tthose later)
395 2017-10-26T19:22:04  <BlueMatt> luke-jr: tbh, I dont actually have any fucking clue what that pr is *supposed* to do in the context on b2x-shitshow
396 2017-10-26T19:22:09  <achow101> rafalcpp: not now
397 2017-10-26T19:22:29  <sdaftuar> rafalcpp: let's discuss after (thanks for taking a look!)
398 2017-10-26T19:22:36  <BlueMatt> rafalcpp: sorry, mid-meeting atm
399 2017-10-26T19:22:44  <morcos> rafalcpp: hi
400 2017-10-26T19:23:01  <gmaxwell> achow101: that was related to the PR that adds an extra connection
401 2017-10-26T19:23:10  <luke-jr> morcos: Bitcoin is almost a softfork relative to 2X
402 2017-10-26T19:23:28  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: it is necessary for people to switch from 2X to Bitcoin, or run them both
403 2017-10-26T19:23:32  *** IniGit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
404 2017-10-26T19:23:46  <IniGit> hello
405 2017-10-26T19:23:48  <BlueMatt> luke-jr: you cannot switch back and forth, your blockindex will be corrupt (yay shitty fork developers)
406 2017-10-26T19:24:00  <IniGit> I read the whitepaper of ethereum and I have a question (it is the same for bitcoin):
407 2017-10-26T19:24:00  <IniGit> APPLY(S,TX) -> S'
408 2017-10-26T19:24:00  <IniGit> My question is since S is defined as a set of UTXO, but the blockchain does not store each balance in a block, is this set of UTXO only preset in RAM and not on the blockchain. Is it calculated by the node by going thhrough each block since the genesis block and only present in RAM?
409 2017-10-26T19:24:00  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: different datadirs..
410 2017-10-26T19:24:12  <luke-jr> or even different machines
411 2017-10-26T19:24:14  <wumpus> IniGit: not here, not now
412 2017-10-26T19:24:18  <morcos> luke-jr has a bit of a point there
413 2017-10-26T19:24:30  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: it's unclear of specifically what you're turned about, don't get into an argument in the weeds, state what the overall concern is.
414 2017-10-26T19:24:43  <IniGit> where can I ask this question and get more knowledge?
415 2017-10-26T19:24:52  <gmaxwell> IniGit: #bitcoin
416 2017-10-26T19:24:53  <sdaftuar> are we talking about relaxing bans to be disconnects instead?  i generally agree with that
417 2017-10-26T19:24:55  <BlueMatt> luke-jr: tbh, so what? our banning is deliberately slow, if you get banned from some small percentage of the network, slowly, over time, for running 2x, sucks for you
418 2017-10-26T19:24:56  <morcos> gmaxwell: if someone on your IP runs a 2X node, your IP gets banned, and you cna't then run or simulataneiously run a core node
419 2017-10-26T19:25:02  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: right now, we can peers that send invalid blocks, which means their Bitcoin nodes will get rejected from the p2p network too
420 2017-10-26T19:25:06  <BlueMatt> (like one peer per block kinda slow)
421 2017-10-26T19:25:06  <achow101> gmaxwell: I think the concern is if someone runs 2x and gets themselves banned, if they switch back to bitcoin they can't connect to the network anymore
422 2017-10-26T19:25:22  <luke-jr> ban*
423 2017-10-26T19:25:30  <gmaxwell> morcos: nothign we can do about that now regardless; as it's a property of the widely deployed network.
424 2017-10-26T19:25:44  <wumpus> achow101: only if *everyone* banned them, which is unlikely as hell!
425 2017-10-26T19:25:58  <wumpus> achow101: if a few nodes they were connected to banned them they will certainly find others
426 2017-10-26T19:26:04  <luke-jr> wumpus: when 2X gets banned from Peer A, it will move on to Peer B, etc
427 2017-10-26T19:26:09  <morcos> gmaxwell: hmm.. ok fair, and it'll take a lot of blocks to get banned by most of the network...
428 2017-10-26T19:26:29  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: yes, but this takes longer than a day to cycle through all reachable nodes that way.
429 2017-10-26T19:26:30  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: so long as not all peers ban, they will eventually find ones with the newer code..
430 2017-10-26T19:26:31  <morcos> luke-jr's pull should be maybe considered for soon release, in case there is extended period of two chains
431 2017-10-26T19:26:34  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2017-10-26T19:26:35  <karelb> sorry for breaking in, the plan is that you cannot simultaneously run 2x and btc on the same IP? that is unfortunate
433 2017-10-26T19:26:40  <morcos> but maybe 0.15.1 espeically if its not ready yet
434 2017-10-26T19:26:47  <wumpus> gmaxwell: and by that time the first ones will have unbanned them again
435 2017-10-26T19:26:49  *** BashCo has quit IRC
436 2017-10-26T19:26:51  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: even with the peers banning them?
437 2017-10-26T19:27:04  <morcos> karelb: that's not the plan, thats an unfortunate side effect of the existing software
438 2017-10-26T19:27:10  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: yes, because the banning goes slowly.
439 2017-10-26T19:27:38  <gmaxwell> karelb: 2x foolishly connects to non-2x nodes and will relay them invalid blocks, so it will get itself banned.
440 2017-10-26T19:27:42  <achow101> banning also requires blocks to be found, so ...
441 2017-10-26T19:28:17  <achow101> that means 144 peers to switch through per day, on average
442 2017-10-26T19:28:39  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: just because it hits 20% DoS penalty each header?
443 2017-10-26T19:28:46  <wumpus> karelb: it could have been resolved with e.g. service bits if 2x was willing, but they're insisting on making this a mess, so we have to do the least harmful thing for the existing bitcoin network
444 2017-10-26T19:28:48  <karelb> oh OK. That happens with the current core node
445 2017-10-26T19:28:53  <BlueMatt> karelb: if you run 2x nodes without their broken -pretendimnot2x then no, you cannot, if you dont use that option, you should be fine
446 2017-10-26T19:28:57  <gmaxwell> karelb: yes.
447 2017-10-26T19:29:18  <wumpus> BlueMatt: exactly
448 2017-10-26T19:29:23  <karelb> BlueMatt  👍  great
449 2017-10-26T19:29:36  <BlueMatt> (which is another point against 10593)
450 2017-10-26T19:29:39  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: also as matt points out, if you don't undermine service flag disconnects you won't get banned by bitcoin 0.15+ peers, so I think that answers your concern/.
451 2017-10-26T19:29:45  <luke-jr> ok
452 2017-10-26T19:30:10  <BlueMatt> if you run with -imstupidandignorereason, you should get banned, thats your problem, not mine
453 2017-10-26T19:30:12  <karelb> what would be the reason of running that option? what is the incentive for the 2x node to connect to core nodes?
454 2017-10-26T19:30:25  <gmaxwell> in the long run I want to move away from banning more or less entirely but that isn't a thing to worry about for now.
455 2017-10-26T19:30:26  <BlueMatt> karelb: please not mid-meeting
456 2017-10-26T19:30:28  <karelb> ok
457 2017-10-26T19:30:30  <morcos> ok yes, thats a good point that we should publish, unfortunately lots of companies will need to run both
458 2017-10-26T19:30:30  <karelb> sorry
459 2017-10-26T19:30:53  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: lots to be fixed in our dos/ban/disconnect logic, indeed
460 2017-10-26T19:31:12  <morcos> ok back to question... list is good, please ack if you know what you're talking about.   alex was here.
461 2017-10-26T19:31:20  <sdaftuar> getting back to 0.15.0.2 -- i think the currently tagged PRs cover all the cases i think we would ideally cover pre-b2x
462 2017-10-26T19:31:24  <achow101> list looks good to me
463 2017-10-26T19:31:35  <wumpus> sdaftuar: great!
464 2017-10-26T19:31:46  <gmaxwell> What sdaftuar said
465 2017-10-26T19:31:50  <wumpus> let's focus on getting these reviewed and merged as soon as possible then
466 2017-10-26T19:31:56  <achow101> +1
467 2017-10-26T19:31:57  <wumpus> and lot's not add any new ones unless absolutely necessary
468 2017-10-26T19:32:19  <gmaxwell> unless some interesting bug crops up I don't see why we would.
469 2017-10-26T19:32:24  <meshcollider> Sounds good
470 2017-10-26T19:32:26  <BlueMatt> ok, so #action 24-hour review sprint?
471 2017-10-26T19:32:36  <gmaxwell> like maybe B2X's developer tells us about this mysterious instability in 0.15. :)
472 2017-10-26T19:32:53  <morcos> i can't wait to tell them about my embargoed accidental hard fork
473 2017-10-26T19:33:00  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: lol, uh huhhhhh
474 2017-10-26T19:33:55  <luke-jr> FTR, the problematic option is -advertise2x=0 or -noadvertise2x
475 2017-10-26T19:34:21  <BlueMatt> aka -shootmeinthefacekthx
476 2017-10-26T19:34:24  <cfields> BlueMatt: i'll commit to a 24hr sprint, at least ack/nack/cfields was here on all of those PRs.
477 2017-10-26T19:34:56  <wumpus> I'll try
478 2017-10-26T19:34:57  <gmaxwell> I'll test and review all that I haven't yet, of course.
479 2017-10-26T19:35:15  <BlueMatt> ok, just gotta finish caching debug.log writing on fibre nodes then I'll do it
480 2017-10-26T19:35:31  <BlueMatt> 30+ms pauses fron debug.log prints, ftr...........
481 2017-10-26T19:35:42  <gmaxwell> BlueMatt: we could also release note this point-- that running -shootmeinthefacekthx will cause your IP to get banned by bitcoin nodes when the fork happens and make it harder to switch back or run both.
482 2017-10-26T19:35:52  <gmaxwell> so uh. I hate to do this.
483 2017-10-26T19:35:54  <gmaxwell> but
484 2017-10-26T19:35:58  <achow101> oh no
485 2017-10-26T19:36:27  <gmaxwell> ... I believe a one liner is possible to detect if our chainstate DB has been corrupted by running b2x post fork... would it be worthwhile to have that?
486 2017-10-26T19:36:44  <gmaxwell> e.g. check out block at the fork height and see if its too big.
487 2017-10-26T19:36:47  <kanzure> detect and warn?
488 2017-10-26T19:36:54  <wumpus> yes, that would be worth it
489 2017-10-26T19:36:58  <gmaxwell> and then shut down with a polite fuck you instead of just sitting stuck.
490 2017-10-26T19:37:03  <kanzure> detect and exit?
491 2017-10-26T19:37:06  <wumpus> yes
492 2017-10-26T19:37:08  <BlueMatt> yea, I think so :'(
493 2017-10-26T19:37:10  <cfields> gmaxwell: that sounds like exactly the kind of thing we should be aiming for in 0.15.0.2 :(
494 2017-10-26T19:37:13  <gmaxwell> all we can do is exit and tell you to reindex.
495 2017-10-26T19:37:15  <achow101> I guess..
496 2017-10-26T19:37:17  <morcos> in my opinion it'll be more than 24 hours until we agree if a 1-liner makes sense.  i think we should just tell people you must reindex chainstate if you switch back...
497 2017-10-26T19:37:18  <jnewbery> polite fuck you == "please use invalidateblock RPC" ?
498 2017-10-26T19:37:19  <BlueMatt> i guess at least thats easy to review
499 2017-10-26T19:37:28  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: why shut down? we can already rewind..
500 2017-10-26T19:37:29  <gmaxwell> oaky I'm sorry for the scope creep. It should be a near oneliner.
501 2017-10-26T19:37:40  <luke-jr> jnewbery: need to automatic it, because RPC won't work if we shutdown
502 2017-10-26T19:37:49  <BlueMatt> jnewbery: no, I think probably easier to just printf("please reindex") exit();
503 2017-10-26T19:37:56  *** pavle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
504 2017-10-26T19:37:57  <wumpus> that's more work
505 2017-10-26T19:37:59  <gmaxwell> it's not easy to test unfortunately.
506 2017-10-26T19:38:04  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: we already have code to rewind for segwit rechecking
507 2017-10-26T19:38:05  <wumpus> for master it probably makes sense to make it automatic
508 2017-10-26T19:38:10  <wumpus> but that's not realistic for 0.15.0.2
509 2017-10-26T19:38:13  <BlueMatt> yea, i dont want to test any of this, or think about complicated interactions
510 2017-10-26T19:38:17  <BlueMatt> just printf and exit
511 2017-10-26T19:38:21  <wumpus> as gmaxwell says, warn+exit is better than mystieriously getting stuck
512 2017-10-26T19:38:23  <wumpus> that's the aim here
513 2017-10-26T19:38:36  <achow101> I support the thing that requires less work to review
514 2017-10-26T19:38:54  <sdaftuar> i don't know that i think it's worth it, but i don't object i guess if other people want to add this "feature"
515 2017-10-26T19:39:11  <gmaxwell> okay, I'll do the simplest possible first we could also consider others for master/later/etc...
516 2017-10-26T19:39:15  <BlueMatt> morcos: points out this does not work on a pruned node, i forgot about that....
517 2017-10-26T19:39:18  <wumpus> sdaftuar: less mysterious bug reports...
518 2017-10-26T19:39:22  <wumpus> sdaftuar: that's always a plus
519 2017-10-26T19:39:30  <morcos> can we agree that this extra PR is lower priority than the others, lets not risk getting 0 of them out
520 2017-10-26T19:39:39  <gmaxwell> SURE
521 2017-10-26T19:39:40  <wumpus> morcos: I agree with that too
522 2017-10-26T19:39:55  <gmaxwell> I don't even 'want' it so much as I realized it was a problem people will encounter which we could address.
523 2017-10-26T19:39:56  <wumpus> I think it's worth doing in general, don't care if it doesn't get into 0.15.0.2
524 2017-10-26T19:39:57  <morcos> tag it "Extra Credit"
525 2017-10-26T19:40:05  <sdaftuar> haha sounds good to me
526 2017-10-26T19:40:13  <wumpus> fine for 0.15.1 too
527 2017-10-26T19:40:20  <wumpus> heh
528 2017-10-26T19:40:26  *** spudowiar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
529 2017-10-26T19:40:34  <gmaxwell> well I'll try something. decide if you want to review it or not.
530 2017-10-26T19:40:40  <kanzure> might make sense for flip floppers later
531 2017-10-26T19:41:08  <gmaxwell> after the fork it can just hardcode the hash. :)
532 2017-10-26T19:41:17  <wumpus> yep
533 2017-10-26T19:41:29  <gmaxwell> e.g. like doing an invalidateblock <b2xcrap> at startup.
534 2017-10-26T19:42:18  <gmaxwell> I agree it's certantly less important in part because we can address with announcements/release notes-- don't do this.
535 2017-10-26T19:42:42  * sipa here for a minute
536 2017-10-26T19:43:02  <BlueMatt> sipa: we're doing 24 hour code review spring for 0.15.0.2, you owe us review on 4 prs today! :p
537 2017-10-26T19:43:53  <sipa> BlueMatt: i'll try!
538 2017-10-26T19:44:11  *** fengling_ has quit IRC
539 2017-10-26T19:44:15  <achow101> not just 4 PRs, the 4 PRs tagged for 0.15.0.2
540 2017-10-26T19:45:46  <luke-jr> we could make a BLOCK_OPT_WITNESS-like thing and require it for the 2X height block only.. but that'll break normal upgrades too
541 2017-10-26T19:45:51  <luke-jr> not sure it's worth it
542 2017-10-26T19:46:01  <spudowiar> Which PRs are those? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8 shows one PR under "Review priority for 0.15.0.2"
543 2017-10-26T19:46:11  <achow101> spudowiar: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/32
544 2017-10-26T19:46:16  <wumpus> spudowiar: just use the milestone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/32
545 2017-10-26T19:46:20  <spudowiar> Thanks, sorry
546 2017-10-26T19:46:35  <wumpus> yeah no problem, I'll update review priority too
547 2017-10-26T19:47:01  <achow101> other topics?
548 2017-10-26T19:49:15  <wumpus> apparently not
549 2017-10-26T19:49:16  <achow101> In other news, I got someone to write meeting notes for the website. we'll try to get through all of the meetings missed too
550 2017-10-26T19:49:26  <wumpus> achow101: that's great news!
551 2017-10-26T19:49:33  <meshcollider> \o/
552 2017-10-26T19:50:00  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2017-10-26T19:50:07  <gmaxwell> bad news is that the someone is roger ver.
554 2017-10-26T19:50:12  <gmaxwell> :P
555 2017-10-26T19:50:23  <achow101> lol. no
556 2017-10-26T19:50:24  <wumpus> hahahaha
557 2017-10-26T19:50:59  <luke-jr> XD
558 2017-10-26T19:51:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
559 2017-10-26T19:51:10  <luke-jr> achow101: you've checked?
560 2017-10-26T19:51:25  <meshcollider> Comic relief would be the whole meeting notes
561 2017-10-26T19:51:37  <achow101> luke-jr: unless I am blind, I am pretty sure the person writing the notes next to me is roger ver
562 2017-10-26T19:51:43  <achow101> *is not
563 2017-10-26T19:51:47  <gmaxwell> uh oh.
564 2017-10-26T19:51:52  <luke-jr> achow101: maybe on his payroll :P
565 2017-10-26T19:52:07  * gmaxwell imagines the delayed correction coming after a sharp poke to the ribs
566 2017-10-26T19:52:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2017-10-26T19:52:11  <achow101> now we got our comic relief :p
568 2017-10-26T19:52:51  <wumpus> #endmeeting
569 2017-10-26T19:52:51  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Oct 26 19:52:51 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
570 2017-10-26T19:52:51  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-10-26-19.00.html
571 2017-10-26T19:52:51  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-10-26-19.00.txt
572 2017-10-26T19:52:51  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-10-26-19.00.log.html
573 2017-10-26T19:53:02  <sdaftuar> ico time?
574 2017-10-26T19:53:38  <BlueMatt> sdaftuar: wait, we cant both ICO, I'm ICOing first!
575 2017-10-26T19:53:39  <gmaxwell> ICO time.
576 2017-10-26T19:53:55  <gmaxwell> pretty sure everyone can ICO, theres is like an app for it or something.
577 2017-10-26T19:54:06  <clarkmoody> When your One More Thing (TM) comes from gmaxwell ...
578 2017-10-26T19:54:11  <sdaftuar> rafalcpp: if you had questions about #11560 i'd be happy to discuss
579 2017-10-26T19:54:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11560 | Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
580 2017-10-26T19:54:14  <gmaxwell> I heard about it in an email with the subject lime "Make Money Fast".
581 2017-10-26T19:54:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cf8c4a7633b1...d93fa261f079
582 2017-10-26T19:54:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c60fd71 Suhas Daftuar: Disconnecting from bad outbound peers in IBD...
583 2017-10-26T19:54:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5a6d00c Suhas Daftuar: Permit disconnection of outbound peers on bad/slow chains...
584 2017-10-26T19:54:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e065249 Suhas Daftuar: Add unit test for outbound peer eviction
585 2017-10-26T19:54:25  <achow101> mmm. subject limes
586 2017-10-26T19:54:27  <cfields> gmaxwell: it matters who's first though. If only we had some way to trustlessly timestamp things...
587 2017-10-26T19:54:31  <luke-jr> ICO is just scamcoins 2.0; BlueMatt once had a generator..
588 2017-10-26T19:54:33  <sdaftuar> wumpus: thanks!
589 2017-10-26T19:54:41  <esotericnonsense> gmaxwell: well the title isn't wrong.
590 2017-10-26T19:54:42  <sdaftuar> rebase time...
591 2017-10-26T19:54:46  <rafalcpp> sdaftuar: right, it's the question that was posted above
592 2017-10-26T19:54:58  * esotericnonsense wanders off to 'make some money' on regtest
593 2017-10-26T19:55:06  <gmaxwell> cfields: it could be a device that ticks at a regular interval
594 2017-10-26T19:55:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11490: Disconnect from outbound peers with bad headers chains (master...2017-10-outbound-peers-good-chain) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11490
595 2017-10-26T19:55:19  <maaku> esotericnonsense: don't you go monetizing regtest coins!
596 2017-10-26T19:55:20  *** jb55 has quit IRC
597 2017-10-26T19:55:46  <sdaftuar> nMaxConnections is generally much larger than nMaxOutbound, but yes if someone set nMaxConnections very low, then i think that could cause issues.  but that's no different eg than running with -connect= or something, i think?
598 2017-10-26T19:56:00  <sdaftuar> rafalcpp: ie if you run with non-standard p2p config, then i think you could run into issues... maybe worth release noting?
599 2017-10-26T19:56:16  <cfields> gmaxwell: 15 seconds? :p
600 2017-10-26T19:57:07  <luke-jr> btw, the advertise2x warning seems more appropriate for a blog post than release notes, since it has nothing to do with our release
601 2017-10-26T19:57:20  <meshcollider> Only 3 PRs left to review now :)
602 2017-10-26T19:57:23  <rafalcpp> sdaftuar: dunno, maybe? :) I didn't yet developed on bitcoin.  Wouldn't it be possible to increase both sides of min?
603 2017-10-26T19:58:51  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: well I dunno the release note is "if you plan on using this program with that program on the same computer"
604 2017-10-26T19:58:59  <rafalcpp> though then we're skipping check for system limit of connections so maybe not. sdaftuar
605 2017-10-26T19:59:04  <sdaftuar> rafalcpp: i think it makes more sense for the user to continue to have a toggle for the overall number of connections, and just explain what the consequence is
606 2017-10-26T19:59:09  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: it's also true for older releases of ours though
607 2017-10-26T19:59:33  <gmaxwell> if we have a zillion inbound connections we probably don't need the anti-partition rotation anyways.
608 2017-10-26T19:59:34  <wumpus> meshcollider: review is still welcome after something is merged :)
609 2017-10-26T19:59:43  *** promag has quit IRC
610 2017-10-26T20:02:43  *** notmike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
611 2017-10-26T20:02:53  <notmike> Its time. I'm ready.
612 2017-10-26T20:04:07  <rafalcpp> sdaftuar: to me a release note sounds good. unless also logging a warning when it happens, if that code isn't frozen
613 2017-10-26T20:07:42  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2017-10-26T20:07:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2017-10-26T20:17:02  *** jb55 has quit IRC
616 2017-10-26T20:20:40  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
617 2017-10-26T20:25:37  *** jb55 has quit IRC
618 2017-10-26T20:26:15  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
619 2017-10-26T20:29:43  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
620 2017-10-26T20:31:00  *** promag has quit IRC
621 2017-10-26T20:31:47  *** tripleslash has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2017-10-26T20:32:31  *** cheese_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
623 2017-10-26T20:33:37  *** RoyceX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
624 2017-10-26T20:35:51  *** Cheeseo has quit IRC
625 2017-10-26T20:36:51  *** cheese_ has quit IRC
626 2017-10-26T20:39:23  *** Stephanzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
627 2017-10-26T20:39:46  *** alreadylate has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
628 2017-10-26T20:48:40  *** alreadylate has quit IRC
629 2017-10-26T20:50:40  *** Stephanzf has quit IRC
630 2017-10-26T20:51:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
631 2017-10-26T20:54:22  *** IniGit1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
632 2017-10-26T20:55:28  *** IniGit has quit IRC
633 2017-10-26T20:57:26  *** RubenSomsen has quit IRC
634 2017-10-26T21:02:24  *** alreadylate has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
635 2017-10-26T21:05:13  *** clarkmoody has quit IRC
636 2017-10-26T21:06:12  *** BashCo has quit IRC
637 2017-10-26T21:06:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
638 2017-10-26T21:06:43  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
639 2017-10-26T21:07:24  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2017-10-26T21:11:50  *** BashCo has quit IRC
641 2017-10-26T21:14:20  *** promag has quit IRC
642 2017-10-26T21:14:41  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
643 2017-10-26T21:16:30  *** warxhead has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
644 2017-10-26T21:16:34  *** wxss has quit IRC
645 2017-10-26T21:16:54  *** maaku has left #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2017-10-26T21:22:09  *** otium has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
647 2017-10-26T21:25:29  *** notmike has left #bitcoin-core-dev
648 2017-10-26T21:35:08  *** IniGit1 has quit IRC
649 2017-10-26T21:40:25  *** alreadylate has quit IRC
650 2017-10-26T21:49:57  *** jb55 has quit IRC
651 2017-10-26T21:50:02  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
652 2017-10-26T21:51:52  *** wxss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
653 2017-10-26T21:55:05  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
654 2017-10-26T22:01:19  *** Squidicc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
655 2017-10-26T22:04:27  *** Squidicuz has quit IRC
656 2017-10-26T22:05:02  *** Squidicc is now known as squidicuz
657 2017-10-26T22:06:05  *** spudowiar has quit IRC
658 2017-10-26T22:09:36  *** cheese_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
659 2017-10-26T22:17:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery reopened pull request #10160: [WIP] updatepeer RPC (master...updatepeer) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10160
660 2017-10-26T22:21:31  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has quit IRC
661 2017-10-26T22:22:01  *** pavle has quit IRC
662 2017-10-26T22:31:08  *** jb55 has quit IRC
663 2017-10-26T22:33:15  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
664 2017-10-26T22:51:58  *** JackH has quit IRC
665 2017-10-26T22:52:56  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
666 2017-10-26T23:05:49  *** mxg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
667 2017-10-26T23:06:14  *** JackH has quit IRC
668 2017-10-26T23:07:47  *** mxg has quit IRC
669 2017-10-26T23:10:48  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
670 2017-10-26T23:15:28  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
671 2017-10-26T23:17:57  *** jb55 has quit IRC
672 2017-10-26T23:22:33  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
673 2017-10-26T23:25:03  *** RoyceX has quit IRC
674 2017-10-26T23:27:42  *** cheese_ has quit IRC
675 2017-10-26T23:29:57  *** warxhead has quit IRC
676 2017-10-26T23:34:25  *** JackH has quit IRC
677 2017-10-26T23:39:16  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
678 2017-10-26T23:42:59  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
679 2017-10-26T23:46:09  *** Emcy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
680 2017-10-26T23:47:46  *** Emcy has quit IRC
681 2017-10-26T23:54:02  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
682 2017-10-26T23:57:50  *** BashCo has quit IRC