1 2017-11-02T00:01:02  *** mlz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2017-11-02T00:07:12  *** Sentineo has quit IRC
  3 2017-11-02T00:07:33  *** Sentineo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2017-11-02T00:16:27  *** jb55 has quit IRC
  5 2017-11-02T00:34:37  *** owowo has quit IRC
  6 2017-11-02T00:35:07  *** NielsvG has quit IRC
  7 2017-11-02T00:38:06  *** NielsvG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2017-11-02T00:38:09  *** NielsvG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2017-11-02T00:40:21  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2017-11-02T00:51:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #11594: Improve -disablewallet parameter interaction (master...2017-11-disable-wallet) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11594
 11 2017-11-02T00:53:45  *** jeremyrubin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2017-11-02T00:56:19  <promag> fanquake is the lucky luke of github labels
 13 2017-11-02T00:58:59  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2017-11-02T01:07:48  *** ag__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2017-11-02T01:08:23  *** SoGi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2017-11-02T01:15:32  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2017-11-02T01:16:02  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2017-11-02T01:17:17  *** ag__ has quit IRC
 19 2017-11-02T01:18:57  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 20 2017-11-02T01:25:05  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 21 2017-11-02T01:26:11  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2017-11-02T01:56:58  *** promag has quit IRC
 23 2017-11-02T02:01:04  *** roadcrap has quit IRC
 24 2017-11-02T02:01:56  *** roadcrap has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2017-11-02T02:03:46  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2017-11-02T02:32:03  *** goatpig has quit IRC
 27 2017-11-02T02:47:40  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2017-11-02T03:04:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] T-Pham opened pull request #11595: Update error messages in bitcoin-cli.cpp (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11595
 29 2017-11-02T03:17:28  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 30 2017-11-02T03:20:55  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2017-11-02T03:21:11  *** kkode has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2017-11-02T03:26:37  *** darkbtcfire has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2017-11-02T03:32:47  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 34 2017-11-02T03:35:09  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 35 2017-11-02T03:55:55  *** darkbtcfire has quit IRC
 36 2017-11-02T04:00:46  <dcousens> if `getblock` fails because we are pruning... could it be possible to instead the route the call to a network peer for the block?
 37 2017-11-02T04:00:54  <dcousens> (`getblock`, the rpc call)
 38 2017-11-02T04:03:57  *** grio has quit IRC
 39 2017-11-02T04:13:28  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2017-11-02T04:13:48  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2017-11-02T04:14:55  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 42 2017-11-02T04:30:07  *** grio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2017-11-02T05:08:05  *** MrPaz has quit IRC
 44 2017-11-02T05:27:21  *** LumberCartel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2017-11-02T05:33:50  *** kkode has quit IRC
 46 2017-11-02T05:35:48  *** PaulCape_ has quit IRC
 47 2017-11-02T05:38:19  *** LumberCartel has quit IRC
 48 2017-11-02T05:39:23  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2017-11-02T05:39:38  *** LumberCartel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2017-11-02T05:42:56  *** grio has quit IRC
 51 2017-11-02T05:52:06  *** berndj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2017-11-02T06:09:36  <gmaxwell> dcousens: that is a minor amplification attack.
 53 2017-11-02T06:09:53  <gmaxwell> moreover, no one should be getblocking you for things you can't serve.
 54 2017-11-02T06:10:58  <dcousens> gmaxwell: my use case is a separate index that wants to catch up to a pruning local bitcoind
 55 2017-11-02T06:11:37  <dcousens> in no way would I intend for that RPC to be public
 56 2017-11-02T06:12:37  <dcousens> (context: https://github.com/bitcoinjs/indexd/issues/6)
 57 2017-11-02T06:16:53  <sipa> dcousens: i think that will be easy to support after we have lightweight mode (which will require that the wallet can also ask for a block to be downloaded)
 58 2017-11-02T06:17:07  <sipa> concept ack, but it may be far out
 59 2017-11-02T06:41:21  <dcousens> sipa: fair enough :),   so many other things to fix first,  and data duplication isn't that bad in the mean time.  Users could still run pruned nodes,  they simply have to do it *after* the initial sync
 60 2017-11-02T06:41:39  <dcousens> aka,  could use the pruning RPC
 61 2017-11-02T06:43:01  <gmaxwell> dcousens: then you want manual pruning, no
 62 2017-11-02T06:44:48  <dcousens> gmaxwell: well, its not ideal, but it works - unless the `indexd` db is lost,  then you need to reset both.
 63 2017-11-02T06:45:49  <dcousens> I think some of the bigger deployments for `indexd` this are either imaging monthly anyway,  so they run the pruning about that length
 64 2017-11-02T06:47:02  *** whphhg has quit IRC
 65 2017-11-02T06:53:37  *** whphhg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2017-11-02T07:15:08  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2017-11-02T07:15:08  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2017-11-02T07:23:10  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: yes, it seems we're not going to get around backporting some of the support PRs, I personally think backporting #10756 is ok, not pretty but trying to patch everything up while backporting is likely more risky than doing that
 69 2017-11-02T07:23:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10756 | net processing: swap out signals for an interface class by theuni · Pull Request #10756 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 70 2017-11-02T07:41:15  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 71 2017-11-02T07:41:53  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2017-11-02T07:46:17  *** BashCo has quit IRC
 73 2017-11-02T08:03:02  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2017-11-02T08:15:02  *** schnerchi has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2017-11-02T08:15:24  *** schnerchi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2017-11-02T08:16:02  *** bitbee has quit IRC
 77 2017-11-02T08:21:29  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2017-11-02T08:22:18  *** bitbee has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2017-11-02T08:24:06  *** promag has quit IRC
 80 2017-11-02T08:30:09  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2017-11-02T09:08:31  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2017-11-02T09:11:20  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2017-11-02T09:12:12  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
 84 2017-11-02T09:15:42  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2017-11-02T09:29:28  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2017-11-02T09:54:40  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
 87 2017-11-02T09:56:14  *** PaulCape_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2017-11-02T09:56:53  *** promag has quit IRC
 89 2017-11-02T10:02:52  *** Victor_sueca is now known as Victorsueca
 90 2017-11-02T10:13:32  *** intcat has quit IRC
 91 2017-11-02T10:15:54  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2017-11-02T10:26:31  *** shoogz has quit IRC
 93 2017-11-02T10:38:30  *** m8tion has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2017-11-02T10:41:55  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
 95 2017-11-02T10:50:12  *** shoogz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2017-11-02T10:50:12  *** shoogz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2017-11-02T10:54:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2017-11-02T10:57:02  *** promag has quit IRC
 99 2017-11-02T11:02:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2017-11-02T11:13:38  *** promag has quit IRC
101 2017-11-02T11:42:39  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2017-11-02T11:45:10  *** promag has quit IRC
103 2017-11-02T11:49:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2017-11-02T11:51:39  *** promag has quit IRC
105 2017-11-02T12:03:55  *** shoogz- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2017-11-02T12:05:10  *** shoogz has quit IRC
107 2017-11-02T12:08:01  *** shoogz- has quit IRC
108 2017-11-02T12:09:35  *** btcdrak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2017-11-02T12:14:57  *** quantbot has quit IRC
110 2017-11-02T12:15:13  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2017-11-02T12:32:21  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2017-11-02T12:36:01  *** str4d has quit IRC
113 2017-11-02T12:42:30  *** zi0nman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2017-11-02T12:48:22  *** Test1234 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2017-11-02T12:51:45  *** intcat has quit IRC
116 2017-11-02T12:51:59  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2017-11-02T12:56:55  *** Test1234 has quit IRC
118 2017-11-02T13:02:55  *** dcousens has quit IRC
119 2017-11-02T13:03:34  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2017-11-02T13:17:01  *** MrPaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2017-11-02T13:30:54  *** quantbot_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2017-11-02T13:30:54  *** quantbot has quit IRC
123 2017-11-02T13:39:41  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2017-11-02T13:41:14  *** quantbot has quit IRC
125 2017-11-02T13:43:34  *** quantbot_ has quit IRC
126 2017-11-02T13:44:57  *** zi0nman has quit IRC
127 2017-11-02T13:49:31  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2017-11-02T13:51:55  *** quantbot has quit IRC
129 2017-11-02T14:00:24  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2017-11-02T14:00:57  *** quantbot has quit IRC
131 2017-11-02T14:01:24  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2017-11-02T14:09:56  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
133 2017-11-02T14:26:16  *** MrPaz has quit IRC
134 2017-11-02T14:36:13  *** alreadylate has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2017-11-02T14:37:52  *** kkode has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2017-11-02T14:39:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2017-11-02T14:40:44  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2017-11-02T14:55:35  *** unholymachine has quit IRC
139 2017-11-02T15:01:47  *** dermoth has quit IRC
140 2017-11-02T15:02:13  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2017-11-02T15:05:04  *** Orion3k has quit IRC
142 2017-11-02T15:08:03  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2017-11-02T15:10:14  *** Aaronvan_ is now known as AaronvanW_
144 2017-11-02T15:10:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
145 2017-11-02T15:13:57  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2017-11-02T15:15:14  *** SoGi has quit IRC
147 2017-11-02T15:16:19  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2017-11-02T15:17:20  *** AaronvanW_ has quit IRC
149 2017-11-02T15:18:42  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
150 2017-11-02T15:23:31  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2017-11-02T15:23:37  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
152 2017-11-02T15:24:32  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
153 2017-11-02T15:25:08  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2017-11-02T15:35:09  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2017-11-02T15:35:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
156 2017-11-02T15:38:01  *** kkode has quit IRC
157 2017-11-02T15:41:20  *** unholymachine has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2017-11-02T15:43:03  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2017-11-02T15:45:36  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
160 2017-11-02T15:48:16  *** LumberCartel has quit IRC
161 2017-11-02T15:51:31  *** dcousens has quit IRC
162 2017-11-02T15:52:13  *** BashCo has quit IRC
163 2017-11-02T15:52:29  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2017-11-02T15:52:51  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2017-11-02T15:57:27  *** BashCo has quit IRC
166 2017-11-02T16:14:01  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2017-11-02T16:14:18  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
168 2017-11-02T16:14:53  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-11-02T16:15:28  *** promag has quit IRC
170 2017-11-02T16:18:54  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
171 2017-11-02T16:20:22  *** BashCo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2017-11-02T16:22:28  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
173 2017-11-02T16:22:50  *** LumberCartel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2017-11-02T16:26:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2017-11-02T16:28:22  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2017-11-02T16:28:47  <BlueMatt> sipa: yo
177 2017-11-02T16:30:11  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-11-02T16:30:30  <sipa> ow
179 2017-11-02T16:30:45  <BlueMatt> sipa: sorry, I think there's lots of net context here that is being missed :(
180 2017-11-02T16:31:06  <BlueMatt> sipa: I have, on a few branches, an explicit goal of net_processing not relying on *when* FinalizeNode is called
181 2017-11-02T16:31:11  <BlueMatt> plus the ForEachNode garbage needs to die
182 2017-11-02T16:31:19  <sipa> agree on the last point
183 2017-11-02T16:31:36  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2017-11-02T16:31:37  <BlueMatt> where CNodeState will have the CNode* in it (but it is much more restricted as a "socket reference" essentially - a thing you pass to CConnman to tell it where to send a message)
185 2017-11-02T16:32:02  <sipa> but FinalizeNode should, regardless of when it is called, call the scheduler to remove any pending actions for that peer, no?
186 2017-11-02T16:32:15  <BlueMatt> but eg the pr I linked to to remove the cs_vNodes lock in ForEachNode almost breaks that logic anyway
187 2017-11-02T16:32:38  <BlueMatt> scheduler?
188 2017-11-02T16:32:42  <BlueMatt> FinalizeNode isnt on scheduler?
189 2017-11-02T16:32:50  <BlueMatt> since it takes things out of vNodes, calls FinalizeNode on it, but the ForEachNode function will be working on a copy of vNodes
190 2017-11-02T16:33:00  <BlueMatt> cfields: also
191 2017-11-02T16:34:08  <sipa> BlueMatt: the issue here is that there is an action called from the scheduler which may be running while a node is being finalized, no?
192 2017-11-02T16:34:29  <BlueMatt> in this case its not, because cs_main, but, yes
193 2017-11-02T16:34:44  <BlueMatt> keep in mind also that scheduler is allowed to be multiple threads
194 2017-11-02T16:34:44  <sipa> sure, but thinking a bit ahead when cs_main is broken up
195 2017-11-02T16:34:47  <BlueMatt> even if it isnt atm
196 2017-11-02T16:34:48  <sipa> sure
197 2017-11-02T16:35:29  <sipa> hmm, i see - the scheduled action isn't specific for the peer
198 2017-11-02T16:35:39  *** dermoth has quit IRC
199 2017-11-02T16:36:05  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2017-11-02T16:36:38  <BlueMatt> when interacting with CConnman I think we should be making essentially 0 assumptions about order of operations cause net frameworks are always all kinds of random
201 2017-11-02T16:36:56  <BlueMatt> anyway, I think the pr is more than fine as-is
202 2017-11-02T16:37:06  <BlueMatt> it should not be considered a bug for the nodestate to be missing during a ForEachNode
203 2017-11-02T16:37:09  <BlueMatt> at least in new code
204 2017-11-02T16:37:25  <sipa> BlueMatt: yes, i withdraw my comment about the assert - violating it is much less of a assumption failure then i thought
205 2017-11-02T16:41:00  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
206 2017-11-02T16:41:08  <promag> for those that have 1 min free, I would like to get some concept ack/nack in #11402
207 2017-11-02T16:41:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11402 | [wallet] Use shared pointer for wallet instances by promag · Pull Request #11402 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
208 2017-11-02T16:41:35  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2017-11-02T16:42:44  <BlueMatt> #11100 backport or no? MarcoFalke was asking
210 2017-11-02T16:42:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11100 | Fix confusing blockmax{size,weight} options, dont default to throwing away money by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
211 2017-11-02T16:43:05  *** promag has quit IRC
212 2017-11-02T16:43:20  <MarcoFalke> 0.15.0.2 is already huge, so I assumed 11100 wouldn't make it any worse.
213 2017-11-02T16:44:54  <BlueMatt> I cant say I have a hugely strong opinion
214 2017-11-02T16:44:58  <BlueMatt> its obviously a miner-only fix
215 2017-11-02T16:45:14  <BlueMatt> it would be nice to get it in if miners switch to 0.15.0.2 as their 0.15 upgrade, but I'm not sure how common that will be
216 2017-11-02T16:45:29  <BlueMatt> there are still a number of miners that appear to be mining small blocks due to this misconfiguration
217 2017-11-02T16:45:38  <sdaftuar> i would prefer to include it for that ^ reason
218 2017-11-02T16:45:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
219 2017-11-02T16:46:05  <BlueMatt> (which is a chunk of the "but segwit has only been a small increase" arguments - miner misconfiguration)
220 2017-11-02T16:48:24  <gmaxwell> 11100 is simple and harmless, and should really be backported.
221 2017-11-02T17:02:08  *** alreadylate has quit IRC
222 2017-11-02T17:02:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/1b8c88451b05...bfb270acfa30
223 2017-11-02T17:02:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 720d9e8 Jonas Schnelli: [Wallet] always show help-line of wallet encryption calls
224 2017-11-02T17:02:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bfb270a MarcoFalke: Merge #11590: [Wallet] always show help-line of wallet encryption calls...
225 2017-11-02T17:03:05  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11590: [Wallet] always show help-line of wallet encryption calls (master...2017/10/enc_wallet_help) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11590
226 2017-11-02T17:07:38  <MarcoFalke> fn github commit sorting
227 2017-11-02T17:08:02  <MarcoFalke> Someone should complain about that
228 2017-11-02T17:08:36  <sipa> i alreayd have, years ago
229 2017-11-02T17:11:19  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
230 2017-11-02T17:21:13  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2017-11-02T17:21:24  <sdaftuar> sipa: i think #11560 is ready for merge now (only difference from the commit you ack'ed is the const change)
232 2017-11-02T17:21:27  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11560 | Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
233 2017-11-02T17:21:53  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
234 2017-11-02T17:23:21  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2017-11-02T17:24:49  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2017-11-02T17:26:00  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2017-11-02T17:28:27  *** warxhead has quit IRC
238 2017-11-02T17:28:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
239 2017-11-02T17:29:02  *** quantbot has quit IRC
240 2017-11-02T17:29:05  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2017-11-02T17:29:07  *** quantbot_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2017-11-02T17:29:45  *** warxhead has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2017-11-02T17:35:21  *** Aaronvan_ is now known as AaronvanW
244 2017-11-02T17:37:05  *** LumberCartel has quit IRC
245 2017-11-02T17:41:10  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
246 2017-11-02T17:45:58  *** belcher has quit IRC
247 2017-11-02T17:46:14  <cfields> query ryanofsky
248 2017-11-02T17:46:25  * cfields dropped a /
249 2017-11-02T17:48:36  * MarcoFalke picks up a / and hands it to cfields
250 2017-11-02T17:48:44  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2017-11-02T17:49:26  <wumpus> hehe
252 2017-11-02T17:50:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #11596: Add missing cs_main locks when accessing chainActive (master...chainActive) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11596
253 2017-11-02T17:51:29  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
254 2017-11-02T17:57:57  *** jeremyrubin has quit IRC
255 2017-11-02T17:58:09  *** timothy has quit IRC
256 2017-11-02T18:02:43  *** xinxi has quit IRC
257 2017-11-02T18:03:19  *** xinxi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2017-11-02T18:19:58  *** quantbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2017-11-02T18:19:58  *** quantbot_ has quit IRC
260 2017-11-02T18:21:32  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
261 2017-11-02T18:22:21  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2017-11-02T18:30:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] kallewoof opened pull request #11597: [trivial] Fix error message & styling for when new fee rate < min mem… (master...171102-feebumper-lowerfeetxt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11597
263 2017-11-02T18:40:07  <jonasschnelli> Is the meeting now in 1h21min?
264 2017-11-02T18:40:41  <jonasschnelli> (wintertime)
265 2017-11-02T18:40:45  <sdaftuar> 20 minutes
266 2017-11-02T18:40:53  <jonasschnelli> Thanks
267 2017-11-02T18:48:32  *** LumberCartel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2017-11-02T18:48:51  *** PaulCape_ has quit IRC
269 2017-11-02T18:50:45  *** m8tion has quit IRC
270 2017-11-02T18:52:19  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2017-11-02T18:52:46  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2017-11-02T18:55:51  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
273 2017-11-02T18:56:33  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
274 2017-11-02T19:00:01  <sipa> *drumroll*
275 2017-11-02T19:00:28  <achow101> meeting?
276 2017-11-02T19:00:30  <BlueMatt> *rimshot*
277 2017-11-02T19:01:26  <wumpus> #startmeeting
278 2017-11-02T19:01:26  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Nov  2 19:01:26 2017 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
279 2017-11-02T19:01:26  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
280 2017-11-02T19:01:33  <jonasschnelli> hi
281 2017-11-02T19:01:36  <achow101> hi
282 2017-11-02T19:01:42  <meshcollider> hi
283 2017-11-02T19:01:47  <jtimon> hi
284 2017-11-02T19:01:58  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag
285 2017-11-02T19:02:06  <instagibbs> here
286 2017-11-02T19:02:10  <sdaftuar> hello
287 2017-11-02T19:02:12  <cfields> hi
288 2017-11-02T19:02:17  <BlueMatt> 15.0.2
289 2017-11-02T19:02:28  <MarcoFalke> #topic 0.15.0.2
290 2017-11-02T19:02:38  <wumpus> yes, good idea
291 2017-11-02T19:02:48  <achow101> it seems like things keep getting added to the milestone
292 2017-11-02T19:02:54  <cfields> i think the outstanding PRs are pretty much ready to go
293 2017-11-02T19:03:02  <wumpus> great!
294 2017-11-02T19:03:18  <wumpus> achow101: only cfields's libevent fix
295 2017-11-02T19:03:26  <BlueMatt> 11593 needs more review, 11560 could just be merged
296 2017-11-02T19:03:35  <morcos> there are 3 PR's left in question: #11100 #11560 #11593
297 2017-11-02T19:03:37  <BlueMatt> though I think 11593 is pretty reviewable
298 2017-11-02T19:03:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11100 | Fix confusing blockmax{size,weight} options, dont default to throwing away money by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
299 2017-11-02T19:03:38  <kanzure> hi.
300 2017-11-02T19:03:38  <meshcollider> and more backports
301 2017-11-02T19:03:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11560 | Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale by sdaftuar · Pull Request #11560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
302 2017-11-02T19:03:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11593 | rpc: work-around an upstream libevent bug by theuni · Pull Request #11593 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
303 2017-11-02T19:03:46  <BlueMatt> plus backports needs fixing
304 2017-11-02T19:03:53  <wumpus> the other one is just the backports which need to be done to support all that
305 2017-11-02T19:03:55  <morcos> i think whichever we can't merge to master and backport right now, we need to just skip..
306 2017-11-02T19:04:12  <achow101> backports is failing travis right now
307 2017-11-02T19:04:15  <morcos> BlueMatt: backports for all others are fine... sdaftuar has tiny test fix
308 2017-11-02T19:04:38  <BlueMatt> yea
309 2017-11-02T19:04:52  <wumpus> ok
310 2017-11-02T19:04:52  <morcos> although they could use more review, both sdaftuar and ryanofsky are reviewing now
311 2017-11-02T19:05:30  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
312 2017-11-02T19:05:35  <morcos> so we should just make decisions on those last 3 PR's..  11100 is in master, so question is only whether to add it to backports?   any objections?
313 2017-11-02T19:06:08  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2017-11-02T19:06:10  <wumpus> none apparently
315 2017-11-02T19:06:11  <gmaxwell> I really want to see 11100 appear in a release.
316 2017-11-02T19:06:17  <BlueMatt> backports are already huge, but thats a simple pr and would be very nice to have
317 2017-11-02T19:06:43  <gmaxwell> It's not the only misconfig now (I see blocks that clearly have minrelay fee cranked up-- e.g. legacy of 0.11-era mempool bloat attacks) but it's the biggest one.
318 2017-11-02T19:06:44  <wumpus> although I think we should stop moving the goalposts
319 2017-11-02T19:06:50  <MarcoFalke> ok, will amend the pull with sdaftuar's fix and 11100
320 2017-11-02T19:07:01  <sipa> 11560 is mergable i think
321 2017-11-02T19:07:07  <gmaxwell> Well, if there are any issues in backporting, feel free to drop IMO.
322 2017-11-02T19:07:08  <BlueMatt> agreed
323 2017-11-02T19:07:20  <wumpus> the point of 0.15.0.2 is to protect against an immediate problem, and we should release it if it improves the situation anything from 0.15.0.1
324 2017-11-02T19:07:39  <BlueMatt> ok, last point of order then is the libevent fix
325 2017-11-02T19:07:43  <BlueMatt> cfields: you want to say anything?
326 2017-11-02T19:08:37  <jtimon> ack on #11100 backport
327 2017-11-02T19:08:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11100 | Fix confusing blockmax{size,weight} options, dont default to throwing away money by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
328 2017-11-02T19:08:58  <cfields> i've narrowed the workaround even further, it basically just affects a single stable release
329 2017-11-02T19:09:15  <jtimon> curious, why backport all in one pr?
330 2017-11-02T19:09:15  <BlueMatt> (the release that people have been switching to as they upgrade ubuntu, afaiu, fwiw)
331 2017-11-02T19:09:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2017-11-02T19:09:27  <wumpus> jtimon: because many things depend on each other
333 2017-11-02T19:09:28  <promag> hi
334 2017-11-02T19:09:43  <MarcoFalke> jtimon: I am not going to push to non-master branches
335 2017-11-02T19:09:45  <wumpus> jtimon: many of them are not trivial, stand-alone backports... if only
336 2017-11-02T19:09:50  *** quantbot_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2017-11-02T19:09:55  <MarcoFalke> also what wumpus said
338 2017-11-02T19:10:10  *** quantbot has quit IRC
339 2017-11-02T19:10:25  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
340 2017-11-02T19:10:27  *** LumberCartel has quit IRC
341 2017-11-02T19:10:31  <cfields> grr, sorry, irc client fell off
342 2017-11-02T19:10:37  <wumpus> this way there's at least the chance to review, and for travis to test the backported code
343 2017-11-02T19:10:53  * sipa picks up the irc lcient and hands it to cfields
344 2017-11-02T19:10:54  <MarcoFalke> So action merge and bp 11560?
345 2017-11-02T19:11:04  <sipa> MarcoFalke: ack
346 2017-11-02T19:11:07  <achow101> +1
347 2017-11-02T19:11:31  <jonasschnelli> BTW: should we also consider upgrading depends openssl due to CVE-2017-3736?
348 2017-11-02T19:11:36  <jonasschnelli> Only BIP70 stuff is affected though
349 2017-11-02T19:11:37  <BlueMatt> +merge and bp 11560
350 2017-11-02T19:11:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bfb270acfa30...7008b07005c5
351 2017-11-02T19:11:45  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6b58360 Cory Fields: rpc: work-around an upstream libevent bug...
352 2017-11-02T19:11:45  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 97932cd Cory Fields: rpc: further constrain the libevent workaround...
353 2017-11-02T19:11:46  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7008b07 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11593: rpc: work-around an upstream libevent bug...
354 2017-11-02T19:12:04  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: how dangerous is that?
355 2017-11-02T19:12:10  <jonasschnelli> Not really...
356 2017-11-02T19:12:12  <jonasschnelli> dangerous
357 2017-11-02T19:12:13  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: man, openssl upgrades are really hard to review. :(
358 2017-11-02T19:12:21  <wumpus> if not, let postpone it to 0.15.1?
359 2017-11-02T19:12:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11593: rpc: work-around an upstream libevent bug (master...fix-libevent-cb) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11593
360 2017-11-02T19:12:27  <jonasschnelli> but we are using open ssl 1.0.1k which is no longer maintained
361 2017-11-02T19:12:30  <sipa> The amount of resources
362 2017-11-02T19:12:30  <sipa> required for such an attack would be very significant and likely only
363 2017-11-02T19:12:30  <sipa> accessible to a limited number of attackers. An attacker would
364 2017-11-02T19:12:30  <sipa> additionally need online access to an unpatched system using the target
365 2017-11-02T19:12:33  <sipa> private key in a scenario with persistent DH parameters and a private
366 2017-11-02T19:12:35  <sipa> key that is shared between multiple clients.
367 2017-11-02T19:12:41  <gmaxwell> I'd rather be spending effort into further eliminating openssl. :)
368 2017-11-02T19:12:46  <jonasschnelli> 0.15.1 should be fine IMO
369 2017-11-02T19:12:47  <jtimon> is anybody using bip70?
370 2017-11-02T19:12:57  <jonasschnelli> BIP70 without openssl is non-trivial to impossible
371 2017-11-02T19:13:08  <jonasschnelli> we could remove BIP70 support... *duck* (luke-jr)
372 2017-11-02T19:13:22  <achow101> jtimon: I'm pretty sure bitpay does
373 2017-11-02T19:13:23  <BlueMatt> we could remove the ssl-checking part of bip70
374 2017-11-02T19:13:25  <jonasschnelli> (no tests, no active maintenance)
375 2017-11-02T19:13:25  <morcos> cfields: are there any changes to our httpserver/libevent code between master and 0.15, or its fine to just backport 11593 without thinking abou tit
376 2017-11-02T19:13:30  <jtimon> achow101: thanks
377 2017-11-02T19:13:34  <BlueMatt> and just treat it as a "better payment field"
378 2017-11-02T19:13:49  <gmaxwell> meh, lets not discuss that now.
379 2017-11-02T19:13:54  <jonasschnelli> Yes
380 2017-11-02T19:13:58  <cfields> morcos: i'll double-check, but 99% a dumb backport is enough
381 2017-11-02T19:14:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 6 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7008b07005c5...2f959a58744d
382 2017-11-02T19:14:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2d4327d Suhas Daftuar: net: Allow connecting to extra outbound peers
383 2017-11-02T19:14:09  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master db32a65 Suhas Daftuar: Track tip update time and last new block announcement from each peer
384 2017-11-02T19:14:10  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ac7b37c Suhas Daftuar: Connect to an extra outbound peer if our tip is stale...
385 2017-11-02T19:14:18  <jonasschnelli> I'd say action: upgrade openssl depends for 0.15.1 or 0.16
386 2017-11-02T19:14:37  <morcos> woohoo!
387 2017-11-02T19:14:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11560: Connect to a new outbound peer if our tip is stale (master...2017-10-stale-tip-new-peer) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11560
388 2017-11-02T19:14:43  <achow101> oh, look at that!
389 2017-11-02T19:14:48  <jonasschnelli> \o/
390 2017-11-02T19:14:52  <sdaftuar> yay!
391 2017-11-02T19:14:54  <gmaxwell> our work here is done.
392 2017-11-02T19:14:55  <wumpus> whee
393 2017-11-02T19:14:59  <wumpus> yep, ship it
394 2017-11-02T19:15:02  <sdaftuar> we're shipping master right
395 2017-11-02T19:15:09  <cfields> "This only affects processors that support the BMI1, BMI2 and ADX extensions like
396 2017-11-02T19:15:10  <cfields> Intel Broadwell (5th generation) and later or AMD Ryzen."
397 2017-11-02T19:15:10  <gmaxwell> :P
398 2017-11-02T19:15:11  <achow101> it compiles, shit it
399 2017-11-02T19:15:16  <achow101> *ship
400 2017-11-02T19:15:17  <sipa> ok, backports are go
401 2017-11-02T19:15:20  <wumpus> yes, we're releasing 0.16.0.2 instead of 0.15.0.2 :p
402 2017-11-02T19:15:21  <morcos> achow101: exactly
403 2017-11-02T19:15:38  <sipa> i do want to stress that these backports may be non-trivial compared to most point releases
404 2017-11-02T19:15:50  <wumpus> yes, definitely
405 2017-11-02T19:15:57  <BlueMatt> yea :(
406 2017-11-02T19:16:00  <sipa> and we should review the patches, and possibly still decide to drop some
407 2017-11-02T19:16:06  <gmaxwell> all the more reason to get a RC out stat.
408 2017-11-02T19:16:08  <cfields> right. in addition to the usual checks, everyone should check their own fixes
409 2017-11-02T19:16:10  <meshcollider> its massive for a point-point release lol
410 2017-11-02T19:16:17  <wumpus> yes, that's what rcs are for
411 2017-11-02T19:16:24  <sipa> absolutely
412 2017-11-02T19:16:29  <wumpus> meshcollider: it's completely silly for a .0.2
413 2017-11-02T19:16:29  <achow101> we've got two weeks
414 2017-11-02T19:16:31  <MarcoFalke> its not even a point-release
415 2017-11-02T19:16:35  <sipa> just pointing out that we're not really done
416 2017-11-02T19:16:54  <meshcollider> so rc today?
417 2017-11-02T19:17:00  <cfields> wumpus: don't forget the version bumps :)
418 2017-11-02T19:17:02  <BlueMatt> hopefully? review backports
419 2017-11-02T19:17:09  <sipa> meshcollider: review backports first
420 2017-11-02T19:17:15  <gmaxwell> it's only a pointpoint release because we communicated the extended SW wallet support would be in 0.15.1. Otherwise this would be 0.15.1.
421 2017-11-02T19:17:15  <wumpus> cfields: good point
422 2017-11-02T19:17:17  <sdaftuar> #11592
423 2017-11-02T19:17:18  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11592 | WIP 0.15: Backports by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #11592 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
424 2017-11-02T19:17:21  <achow101> so review backports and rc tomorrow?
425 2017-11-02T19:17:35  <wumpus> gmaxwell: I understand, but I expected a much smaller release
426 2017-11-02T19:17:59  <sipa> wumpus: so did we all, i think
427 2017-11-02T19:18:16  <wumpus> normally we don't even publically announce minor-minor releases, let alone have an extended rc cycle
428 2017-11-02T19:18:41  <wumpus> but that's definitely needed now
429 2017-11-02T19:18:47  <achow101> note to self for future: don't promise things in version numbers
430 2017-11-02T19:19:04  <jtimon> achow101:
431 2017-11-02T19:19:06  <jtimon> +1
432 2017-11-02T19:19:07  <sipa> we should have called it 0.15.$SEGWIT
433 2017-11-02T19:19:08  <wumpus> achow101: good point
434 2017-11-02T19:19:17  <gmaxwell> beyond the B2X split fix, I think this release is pretty trivial.
435 2017-11-02T19:19:18  <sipa> but i agree, achow101
436 2017-11-02T19:19:32  <gmaxwell> fixes*
437 2017-11-02T19:19:35  <wumpus> don't promise things, period :)
438 2017-11-02T19:20:03  <jonasschnelli> ^ (especially not on a timeline)
439 2017-11-02T19:20:17  <gmaxwell> well if you'd be more comfortable calling it 0.15.1 I'd support that too. it's not like it's a big deal to say 'nope segwit stuff got pushed back due to snafu-mitigation'
440 2017-11-02T19:20:58  <jtimon> I would prefer to call it 0.15.1, but not a big deal\
441 2017-11-02T19:20:59  <cfields> from now on, we'll promise new features at block heights rather than timestamps :p
442 2017-11-02T19:21:08  <sipa> we could of course also include #11167 (support for sending to bech32) and call it 0.15.1 *ducks*
443 2017-11-02T19:21:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11167 | Full BIP173 (Bech32) support by sipa · Pull Request #11167 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
444 2017-11-02T19:21:22  <gmaxwell> too bad that has a bunch of refactors.
445 2017-11-02T19:21:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/01e173f5b8985ad5ec14c1621531a003635f9800
446 2017-11-02T19:21:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 01e173f Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump version to 0.15.0.2...
447 2017-11-02T19:21:35  <sipa> (that's not a serious suggestion, please let's not delay things further)
448 2017-11-02T19:22:00  <wumpus> oh okay, calling it 0.15.1 is also ok with me
449 2017-11-02T19:22:09  <gmaxwell> for some context there, new electrum shipped that has 'segwit wallet support' -- which for them is BIP173 only.
450 2017-11-02T19:22:17  <jonasschnelli> 0.15.1 seems to make more sense to me... I don't think many people do expect SW Wallet support
451 2017-11-02T19:22:22  <wumpus> ok
452 2017-11-02T19:22:35  <gmaxwell> so already getting some reports of not being able to send to it from Bitcoin Core, ::sigh:: :)
453 2017-11-02T19:22:38  <wumpus> yes, definitely better
454 2017-11-02T19:22:48  <sipa> gmaxwell: well, electrum's problem
455 2017-11-02T19:23:06  <jonasschnelli> Slow transition.... no hurry
456 2017-11-02T19:23:42  <wumpus> indeed, just a matter of time
457 2017-11-02T19:23:59  <wumpus> some software can be ahead of others, that's what you'll always have
458 2017-11-02T19:24:19  <instagibbs> Electrum supports multiwallet, it's fine
459 2017-11-02T19:25:27  <wumpus> great
460 2017-11-02T19:25:46  <sdaftuar> release notes?  anyone started that?
461 2017-11-02T19:25:46  <wumpus> so, everyone agree that the release will be 0.15.1?
462 2017-11-02T19:25:51  <sdaftuar> wumpus: sounds good
463 2017-11-02T19:26:00  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: ack
464 2017-11-02T19:26:06  <gmaxwell> sounds fine.
465 2017-11-02T19:26:11  <promag> lgtm
466 2017-11-02T19:26:45  <sipa> ack
467 2017-11-02T19:26:55  <meshcollider> is there a TODO for release notes 0.15.0.2?
468 2017-11-02T19:26:59  <meshcollider> can only find 16.0
469 2017-11-02T19:27:05  <wumpus> meshcollider: on the 0.15 branch
470 2017-11-02T19:27:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj force-pushed 0.15 from 01e173f to f224cbc: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commits/0.15
471 2017-11-02T19:27:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 f224cbc Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump version to 0.15.1...
472 2017-11-02T19:27:57  <achow101> 0.15.1 is fine with me
473 2017-11-02T19:28:38  <wumpus> an actual point release, this feels much better
474 2017-11-02T19:28:38  <meshcollider> wumpus: I mean an issue like 11054
475 2017-11-02T19:28:46  <wumpus> release notes are certainly important, though they don't need to be ready for rc1
476 2017-11-02T19:28:49  <morcos> one comment about the version
477 2017-11-02T19:28:56  <morcos> i talked to Alyssa from CoinDesk abou tthis
478 2017-11-02T19:29:04  <morcos> not sure if they published an article or about to
479 2017-11-02T19:29:08  <wumpus> meshcollider: no, we don't make topics that for minor releases generally
480 2017-11-02T19:29:20  <meshcollider> ah ok
481 2017-11-02T19:30:23  <jtimon> morcos: should be easy to correct their article, no?
482 2017-11-02T19:30:44  <wumpus> if you're in contact with them please let them know this is not the .1 they're expecting
483 2017-11-02T19:30:49  <jonasschnelli> morcos: Maybe tell here that the SW2X aware version is now 0.15.1 and SW wallet version is *unknown" for now?
484 2017-11-02T19:30:56  <morcos> yeah i don't see anything majorly published, i'll tell her now
485 2017-11-02T19:31:03  <morcos> who knows if she was going to even say anything
486 2017-11-02T19:31:37  <jtimon> just s/0.15.1/0.15.2 and s/0.15.0.2/0.15.1/
487 2017-11-02T19:31:46  <wumpus> yes, segwit wallet delayed due to necessary s2x preparations :(
488 2017-11-02T19:31:55  *** str4d has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
489 2017-11-02T19:32:09  <BlueMatt> s/necessary/hopefully unecessary, though possibly necessary/
490 2017-11-02T19:32:16  <sipa> arguably these were necessary preprations anyway - they're not specific to 2X
491 2017-11-02T19:32:23  <BlueMatt> indeed
492 2017-11-02T19:32:27  <wumpus> BlueMatt: better to be prepared at least
493 2017-11-02T19:32:27  <BlueMatt> we now have outbound peer rotation!
494 2017-11-02T19:32:30  <sipa> we just had to prioritize these P2P improvements
495 2017-11-02T19:32:32  <jonasschnelli> but more pressing since SW2X
496 2017-11-02T19:32:33  <BlueMatt> :bottlepop emoji"
497 2017-11-02T19:32:35  <BlueMatt> :
498 2017-11-02T19:32:41  <wumpus> sipa: sure, but the reason this was prioeritized over segwit I mean
499 2017-11-02T19:32:42  <gmaxwell> yes, are generally good improvements which we should have done eventually regardless.
500 2017-11-02T19:33:04  <morcos> ok i emailed her, i'm fine to switch it, i just wanted to be sure there wasn't already some article out there
501 2017-11-02T19:33:21  <jonasschnelli> Who cares. :)
502 2017-11-02T19:33:22  <sipa> i went back and edited some reddit comments i made about 0.15.1
503 2017-11-02T19:33:27  <sipa> i think it's fine
504 2017-11-02T19:33:38  <gmaxwell> morcos: inaccurate details in a press article about bitcoin?! Good thing you prevent that from ever happening.
505 2017-11-02T19:33:42  <jonasschnelli> Things are in-move....
506 2017-11-02T19:33:51  <BlueMatt> lolol
507 2017-11-02T19:33:52  <wumpus> then after this we can do segwit wallet as 0.15.2, or 0.16.0, depending on what makes sense in the time frame that things are ready
508 2017-11-02T19:34:35  <jonasschnelli> Yeah.. I would not promis 0.15.2 now (even if it's very likely to happen with SW Wallet)
509 2017-11-02T19:34:36  <sipa> ya
510 2017-11-02T19:34:52  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: indeed
511 2017-11-02T19:35:13  <jtimon> perhaps we could consider doing 0.16 faster instead of doing a 0.15.2 release with segwit?
512 2017-11-02T19:35:16  <jonasschnelli> features are not tied to releases... releases are tied to the planed timeframe
513 2017-11-02T19:35:37  <jtimon> I guess it would be a bad precedent
514 2017-11-02T19:35:43  <BlueMatt> ok, more topics?
515 2017-11-02T19:35:47  <wumpus> jtimon: I'm ok with that - though the original reasoning was exactly opposite, add some time to 0.16 to be able to do a segwit release in between - but yeah, things have changed
516 2017-11-02T19:36:03  <gmaxwell> so 0.16 release next week?
517 2017-11-02T19:36:09  * gmaxwell ducks
518 2017-11-02T19:36:09  <jonasschnelli> ;-)
519 2017-11-02T19:36:16  <BlueMatt> #action activate segwit?
520 2017-11-02T19:36:31  <wumpus> jtimon: also to not have another hairy, big set of backports
521 2017-11-02T19:36:43  <wumpus> gmaxwell: always optimistic :)
522 2017-11-02T19:36:57  <jtimon> wumpus: yeah I'm perhaps more worried about the latter
523 2017-11-02T19:37:20  * MarcoFalke have been obtained by ChainCode
524 2017-11-02T19:37:30  <jonasschnelli> \o/
525 2017-11-02T19:37:38  <sipa> MarcoFalke: congrats!
526 2017-11-02T19:37:40  <wumpus> congratulations MarcoFalke
527 2017-11-02T19:37:41  <cfields> MarcoFalke: congrats :)
528 2017-11-02T19:37:42  <gmaxwell> MarcoFalke: congrats.
529 2017-11-02T19:37:53  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: Congrats. Have fun in NY!
530 2017-11-02T19:37:55  <sdaftuar> MarcoFalke: welcome! :)
531 2017-11-02T19:37:55  <instagibbs> what does that bring the commit % to :P
532 2017-11-02T19:38:01  <jtimon> yeah, cool
533 2017-11-02T19:38:02  <BlueMatt> instagibbs: shhhhhhhhhhh
534 2017-11-02T19:38:10  <instagibbs> congrats!
535 2017-11-02T19:38:15  <cfields> heh
536 2017-11-02T19:38:25  <BlueMatt> in the future, all coredev.tech events are required to occur in ny to minimize total flight time =D
537 2017-11-02T19:38:26  <meshcollider> \o/
538 2017-11-02T19:38:27  <instagibbs> Eastern US powerhouse too :)
539 2017-11-02T19:38:27  <jtimon> chaincode conspiracies coming...
540 2017-11-02T19:38:32  <MarcoFalke> instagibbs: It's not retroactive ;)
541 2017-11-02T19:38:33  <morcos> instagibbs: which ones, the ones we do ourselves or the ones under our blockstream contract?
542 2017-11-02T19:38:42  <jonasschnelli> ChainCodeLabs marketing departure must confront now with new ChainCode Core conspiracy
543 2017-11-02T19:38:44  <instagibbs> morcos, one and the same, right?
544 2017-11-02T19:38:47  <jtimon> BlueMatt: lol
545 2017-11-02T19:38:49  <achow101> chaincore
546 2017-11-02T19:39:01  <jonasschnelli> heh
547 2017-11-02T19:39:09  <cfields> BlockChain
548 2017-11-02T19:39:10  <cfields> wait...
549 2017-11-02T19:39:17  <sdaftuar> lol
550 2017-11-02T19:39:18  <gmaxwell> lol
551 2017-11-02T19:39:19  <morcos> took you long enough
552 2017-11-02T19:39:20  <jonasschnelli> lol
553 2017-11-02T19:39:33  <sipa> ChainStream
554 2017-11-02T19:39:40  <wumpus> hah!
555 2017-11-02T19:39:41  <jtimon> codestream
556 2017-11-02T19:39:49  <jtimon> anyway, other topics?
557 2017-11-02T19:40:35  <wumpus> let's get backporting then
558 2017-11-02T19:40:52  <gmaxwell> I thought we were gonna ship master! :P
559 2017-11-02T19:41:21  <jtimon> but that's afterwards, release 0.15.1, then rc master the day after, no?
560 2017-11-02T19:41:21  <wumpus> we coulld do that too and make people choose :p
561 2017-11-02T19:41:43  <gmaxwell> WE HERD U LIK CHOICES
562 2017-11-02T19:41:53  <wumpus> YAH
563 2017-11-02T19:42:15  <wumpus> #endmeeting
564 2017-11-02T19:42:15  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Nov  2 19:42:15 2017 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
565 2017-11-02T19:42:15  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-11-02-19.01.html
566 2017-11-02T19:42:15  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-11-02-19.01.txt
567 2017-11-02T19:42:15  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2017/bitcoin-core-dev.2017-11-02-19.01.log.html
568 2017-11-02T19:42:21  <sipa> "Bitcoin Core now comes in multiple flavours! Bitcoin Core Home, Bitcoin Core Pro, Bitcoin Core XP, ..."
569 2017-11-02T19:42:32  <jtimon> random non-priority review begging: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8994
570 2017-11-02T19:42:32  <instagibbs> Bitcoin Core ME, don't forget ME
571 2017-11-02T19:42:58  <achow101> Bitcoin Core Server Edition
572 2017-11-02T19:43:38  <BlueMatt> achow101: no, thats FIBRE
573 2017-11-02T19:44:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jtimon closed pull request #11430: Add BIP16 to consensus params for consistency (master...b16-bip90-bip16) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11430
574 2017-11-02T19:49:15  <cfields> MarcoFalke: any especially non-trivial backports we should give extra scrutiny?
575 2017-11-02T19:51:01  <MarcoFalke> cfields: They are mostly clean cherry-picks (beside one or two minor conflicts)
576 2017-11-02T19:51:18  <MarcoFalke> I am mostly worried about silent merge conflicts
577 2017-11-02T19:51:35  <cfields> ok great, i was nervous that the signals/interface change might've introduced a bunch of conflicts
578 2017-11-02T19:51:51  <MarcoFalke> but it compiles, so everything must be right
579 2017-11-02T19:51:53  <MarcoFalke> right?
580 2017-11-02T19:52:01  <cfields> hah, good enough
581 2017-11-02T19:52:37  <BlueMatt> I mean our tests are prefect, right?
582 2017-11-02T19:52:53  <sdaftuar> nothing could possibly go wrong
583 2017-11-02T19:52:54  <jtimon> MarcoFalke: of course, it even passes travis, can't be wrong
584 2017-11-02T19:53:13  <BlueMatt> someone wanna close #11575? Looks like his wallet got corrupted by sitting around for a few years....nothing to be done, he's just asking for support now...
585 2017-11-02T19:53:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11575 | CDBEnv::EnvShutdown: Error -30974 shutting down database environment: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery · Issue #11575 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
586 2017-11-02T19:56:47  *** LumberCartel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2017-11-02T20:00:34  <karelb> Oh. I came to watch the meeting, I am one hour late because of daylight saving time.
588 2017-11-02T20:00:35  <karelb> FINE
589 2017-11-02T20:01:12  <meshcollider> heh DST is fun like that ;)
590 2017-11-02T20:04:49  * instagibbs wondering if US DST will screw me up
591 2017-11-02T20:06:27  <achow101> DST ends on sunday in the US
592 2017-11-02T20:06:58  <meshcollider> does the whole US have one DST shift, or is it different for different parts?
593 2017-11-02T20:07:13  *** kkode has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2017-11-02T20:07:28  <instagibbs> depends on state I believe
595 2017-11-02T20:07:45  *** kkode has quit IRC
596 2017-11-02T20:08:04  <achow101> It's state by state, but those that have DST shift at the same time IIRC
597 2017-11-02T20:08:17  *** str4d has quit IRC
598 2017-11-02T20:19:32  *** MrPaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2017-11-02T20:20:57  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
600 2017-11-02T20:21:12  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
601 2017-11-02T20:27:04  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
602 2017-11-02T20:28:31  *** promag has quit IRC
603 2017-11-02T20:33:04  *** jb55 has quit IRC
604 2017-11-02T20:37:23  *** davec has quit IRC
605 2017-11-02T20:47:48  <BlueMatt> hey! we can make travis bitch on here when master builds fail
606 2017-11-02T20:47:52  <BlueMatt> ...maybe we should do that
607 2017-11-02T20:47:54  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
608 2017-11-02T20:50:28  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
609 2017-11-02T20:51:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #11598: Make travis complain on #bitcoin-core-dev when builds fail (master...2017-10-travis-irc-notifications) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11598
610 2017-11-02T20:55:05  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
611 2017-11-02T21:05:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #11598: Make travis complain on #bitcoin-core-dev when builds fail (master...2017-10-travis-irc-notifications) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11598
612 2017-11-02T21:07:10  *** dcousens has quit IRC
613 2017-11-02T21:13:01  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2017-11-02T21:14:09  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2017-11-02T21:19:17  *** warxhead has quit IRC
616 2017-11-02T21:23:06  *** RoyceX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
617 2017-11-02T21:30:32  *** bomberb17 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2017-11-02T21:31:03  <bomberb17> ?
619 2017-11-02T21:33:16  *** bomberb17 has quit IRC
620 2017-11-02T21:34:27  *** warxhead has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
621 2017-11-02T21:42:33  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
622 2017-11-02T21:46:08  *** malaka has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
623 2017-11-02T21:51:05  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
624 2017-11-02T21:51:23  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
625 2017-11-02T21:52:32  *** jb55 has quit IRC
626 2017-11-02T21:59:24  *** travis-ci has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
627 2017-11-02T21:59:25  <travis-ci> TheBlueMatt/bitcoin#674 (2017-10-travis-irc-notifications - f9cd8b4 : Matt Corallo): The build passed.
628 2017-11-02T21:59:25  <travis-ci> Change view : https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bitcoin/compare/5d465e396249^...f9cd8b458a92
629 2017-11-02T21:59:25  <travis-ci> Build details : https://travis-ci.org/TheBlueMatt/bitcoin/builds/296471305
630 2017-11-02T21:59:25  *** travis-ci has left #bitcoin-core-dev
631 2017-11-02T21:59:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/674 | Cannot compile Mac · Issue #674 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
632 2017-11-02T21:59:38  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2017-11-02T22:00:49  *** LumberCartel has quit IRC
634 2017-11-02T22:01:36  <BlueMatt> lol, cfields you were right
635 2017-11-02T22:01:54  <cfields> heh
636 2017-11-02T22:02:46  <gmaxwell> bot warz
637 2017-11-02T22:03:39  <sipa> we must go deeper
638 2017-11-02T22:16:45  <sipa> cfields: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11389#discussion_r146683391 -> what do you suggest I replace it with?
639 2017-11-02T22:17:12  <sipa> i wanted to use std::numeric_limits<int64_t>::max_value, but that required adding an extra include
640 2017-11-02T22:19:28  <gmaxwell> an extra include to bring in numeric limits sounds reasonable, ... they should be included pretty much everywhere regardless....
641 2017-11-02T22:19:35  <gmaxwell> an extra include of a boost header OTOH ...
642 2017-11-02T22:22:15  <cfields> sipa: just dropping the 'U' would be enough to shut me up
643 2017-11-02T22:22:27  <sipa> cfields: oh!
644 2017-11-02T22:22:38  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
645 2017-11-02T22:23:11  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2017-11-02T22:24:46  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
647 2017-11-02T22:25:22  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
648 2017-11-02T22:27:11  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
649 2017-11-02T22:29:53  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
650 2017-11-02T22:37:37  *** jb55 has quit IRC
651 2017-11-02T22:40:01  *** ossifrage has quit IRC
652 2017-11-02T23:09:37  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
653 2017-11-02T23:11:02  *** RoyceX has quit IRC
654 2017-11-02T23:13:04  *** LeMiner2 has quit IRC
655 2017-11-02T23:17:21  *** malaka has quit IRC
656 2017-11-02T23:20:38  *** ossifrage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
657 2017-11-02T23:31:42  *** grio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
658 2017-11-02T23:32:04  *** str4d has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
659 2017-11-02T23:32:41  *** MrPaz has quit IRC
660 2017-11-02T23:38:50  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has quit IRC
661 2017-11-02T23:41:37  *** LeMiner2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
662 2017-11-02T23:54:35  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev