1 2017-12-27T00:04:05  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
  2 2017-12-27T00:04:38  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2017-12-27T00:04:44  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2017-12-27T00:14:05  *** pkx2 has quit IRC
  5 2017-12-27T00:14:37  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2017-12-27T00:17:03  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2017-12-27T00:24:54  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
  8 2017-12-27T00:25:50  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2017-12-27T00:29:49  *** arubi has quit IRC
 10 2017-12-27T00:30:24  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2017-12-27T00:31:26  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2017-12-27T00:40:05  *** Kozuch has quit IRC
 13 2017-12-27T00:46:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 14 2017-12-27T00:56:42  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2017-12-27T00:57:25  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2017-12-27T00:57:46  *** larafale has quit IRC
 17 2017-12-27T00:58:52  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2017-12-27T00:59:21  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2017-12-27T01:02:07  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2017-12-27T01:02:23  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 21 2017-12-27T01:05:08  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 22 2017-12-27T01:08:00  *** pkaksha has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2017-12-27T01:08:36  <pkaksha> hello everyone .
 24 2017-12-27T01:09:26  <pkaksha> i want to learn about blockchain and developement . can anyone suggest good resources to start from zero
 25 2017-12-27T01:10:28  <rabidus> wrong channel to start from zero
 26 2017-12-27T01:10:53  <pkaksha> where should i go ?
 27 2017-12-27T01:12:06  <mryandao> #bitcoin
 28 2017-12-27T01:12:38  <pkaksha> ok. thanks
 29 2017-12-27T01:12:51  <pkaksha> exit
 30 2017-12-27T01:13:55  *** pkaksha has quit IRC
 31 2017-12-27T01:15:46  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 32 2017-12-27T01:15:48  <meshcollider> ryanofsky: Thank you so much for pointing that issue with using static! I've been trying to work out what was wrong for hours lol
 33 2017-12-27T01:16:43  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2017-12-27T01:18:50  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
 35 2017-12-27T01:20:45  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 36 2017-12-27T01:21:39  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
 37 2017-12-27T01:21:43  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2017-12-27T01:38:48  *** hirish is now known as hirishaway
 39 2017-12-27T01:49:27  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 40 2017-12-27T01:54:16  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2017-12-27T01:58:57  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 42 2017-12-27T02:00:11  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2017-12-27T02:04:46  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 44 2017-12-27T02:05:44  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2017-12-27T02:09:05  *** rabidus has quit IRC
 46 2017-12-27T02:09:40  *** Seven_ has quit IRC
 47 2017-12-27T02:11:29  *** rabidus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2017-12-27T02:22:53  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2017-12-27T02:26:36  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2017-12-27T02:27:49  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 51 2017-12-27T02:28:44  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2017-12-27T02:33:15  *** Murch has quit IRC
 53 2017-12-27T02:38:25  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 54 2017-12-27T02:39:05  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
 55 2017-12-27T02:43:23  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
 56 2017-12-27T02:43:59  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2017-12-27T02:45:43  *** Seven_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2017-12-27T02:45:51  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2017-12-27T02:48:31  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
 60 2017-12-27T02:50:16  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2017-12-27T03:05:06  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
 62 2017-12-27T03:07:38  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2017-12-27T03:12:18  *** jstcause has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2017-12-27T03:14:50  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 65 2017-12-27T03:15:32  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2017-12-27T03:18:35  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2017-12-27T03:23:46  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
 68 2017-12-27T03:27:47  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 69 2017-12-27T03:28:43  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2017-12-27T03:41:48  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2017-12-27T03:42:13  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2017-12-27T03:42:26  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 73 2017-12-27T03:44:33  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 74 2017-12-27T03:46:09  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
 75 2017-12-27T03:47:52  *** xiedeaccabc_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2017-12-27T03:49:42  *** xiedeaccabc_ has quit IRC
 77 2017-12-27T03:51:59  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 78 2017-12-27T03:54:07  *** xiedeacc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2017-12-27T03:55:11  <xiedeacc> test
 80 2017-12-27T03:55:38  <xiedeacc> does anybody here
 81 2017-12-27T03:56:06  <xiedeacc> give me a reply, let me know I can use this IRC, thk~
 82 2017-12-27T03:56:38  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2017-12-27T03:57:00  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
 84 2017-12-27T04:00:57  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
 85 2017-12-27T04:05:28  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2017-12-27T04:06:12  *** Cache_Money has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2017-12-27T04:11:14  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2017-12-27T04:11:59  <echeveria> xiedeacc: #bitcoin please.
 89 2017-12-27T04:18:14  *** dbit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2017-12-27T04:20:47  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 91 2017-12-27T04:21:19  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
 92 2017-12-27T04:22:02  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2017-12-27T04:23:53  *** xiedeacc has quit IRC
 94 2017-12-27T04:24:41  *** xiedeacc_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2017-12-27T04:25:46  *** xiedeacc_ has quit IRC
 96 2017-12-27T04:27:52  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
 97 2017-12-27T04:28:58  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2017-12-27T04:29:15  *** xiedeacc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2017-12-27T04:34:21  <xiedeacc> what's nChainWork for in class CBlockIndex
100 2017-12-27T04:41:13  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
101 2017-12-27T04:41:43  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2017-12-27T04:42:57  *** Danilo__ has quit IRC
103 2017-12-27T04:45:12  *** Danilo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2017-12-27T04:53:19  <meshcollider> xiedeacc: as the name suggests, its the total amount of work in the chain :)
105 2017-12-27T04:53:53  <meshcollider> (Up to and including that block)
106 2017-12-27T04:56:35  <meshcollider> xiedeacc: If you are working on an altcoin, please move to ##altcoin-dev btw, not this channel
107 2017-12-27T05:00:34  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2017-12-27T05:03:42  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2017-12-27T05:08:14  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
110 2017-12-27T05:12:50  <xiedeacc> I'm confused with work
111 2017-12-27T05:13:29  <xiedeacc> I'm newer to IRC
112 2017-12-27T05:13:48  <xiedeacc> what's meanning of work?
113 2017-12-27T05:14:08  <meshcollider> xiedeacc: work is roughly how many hashes we expect needed to be done to mine that chain
114 2017-12-27T05:14:54  <meshcollider> xiedeacc: You should ask questions in #bitcoin channel not here though
115 2017-12-27T05:15:02  <xiedeacc> ok, gotta
116 2017-12-27T05:15:05  <xiedeacc> thank you
117 2017-12-27T05:27:55  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
118 2017-12-27T05:28:47  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2017-12-27T05:30:04  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
120 2017-12-27T05:35:01  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2017-12-27T05:39:45  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
122 2017-12-27T05:43:48  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2017-12-27T06:00:49  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
124 2017-12-27T06:02:15  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2017-12-27T06:34:23  *** Cache_Money has quit IRC
126 2017-12-27T06:42:33  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2017-12-27T06:46:08  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2017-12-27T06:49:00  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
129 2017-12-27T06:49:18  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2017-12-27T06:59:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #12032: [backport] #11847 Make boost::multi_index comparators const (0.15...boost-fix-multi-index) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12032
131 2017-12-27T07:04:33  *** jb55 has quit IRC
132 2017-12-27T07:12:01  *** t0adst00l has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2017-12-27T07:12:02  *** prometheus_falli has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
134 2017-12-27T07:13:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #11993: [Docs] Fixed createrawtransaction help text. (master...fix-createrawtransaction-help) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11993
135 2017-12-27T07:17:19  *** jstcause has quit IRC
136 2017-12-27T07:30:50  *** prometheus_falli has quit IRC
137 2017-12-27T07:30:50  *** t0adst00l has quit IRC
138 2017-12-27T07:30:50  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
139 2017-12-27T07:30:50  *** arubi has quit IRC
140 2017-12-27T07:30:51  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
141 2017-12-27T07:33:34  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2017-12-27T07:36:32  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2017-12-27T07:37:16  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2017-12-27T07:39:21  *** arubi has quit IRC
145 2017-12-27T07:42:50  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2017-12-27T07:52:14  *** Emcy has quit IRC
147 2017-12-27T07:52:46  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2017-12-27T08:01:48  *** t0adst00l has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2017-12-27T08:03:24  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
150 2017-12-27T08:07:28  *** Danilo_ has quit IRC
151 2017-12-27T08:09:01  *** Danilo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2017-12-27T08:09:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
153 2017-12-27T08:10:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2017-12-27T08:26:33  *** motoxk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2017-12-27T08:45:19  *** motoxk has quit IRC
156 2017-12-27T08:48:53  *** rabidus has quit IRC
157 2017-12-27T08:48:56  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2017-12-27T08:49:21  *** rabidus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2017-12-27T08:55:05  *** rabidus has quit IRC
160 2017-12-27T08:56:51  *** rabidus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2017-12-27T09:04:20  *** t0adst00l has quit IRC
162 2017-12-27T09:19:57  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
163 2017-12-27T09:20:29  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2017-12-27T09:27:26  *** Gordon__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2017-12-27T09:29:02  *** Gordon__ has quit IRC
166 2017-12-27T09:30:37  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
167 2017-12-27T09:31:47  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2017-12-27T09:31:56  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2017-12-27T09:39:56  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
170 2017-12-27T09:40:10  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2017-12-27T09:47:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2017-12-27T09:49:29  *** promag has quit IRC
173 2017-12-27T09:49:43  <meshcollider> would it make more sense to have the rpc cookie file stored in the "files" argument section or the "rpc" argument section
174 2017-12-27T11:04:17  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
175 2017-12-27T11:04:57  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2017-12-27T11:19:32  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2017-12-27T11:23:44  *** xiedeacc_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2017-12-27T11:25:06  *** karanlearns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2017-12-27T11:25:57  *** xiedeacc has quit IRC
180 2017-12-27T11:26:14  <karanlearns> hi , i cloned from github and installed on my online computer. i also added few commits to create segwit address
181 2017-12-27T11:26:39  <karanlearns> i then copied the bitcoin-qt file from bin folder to my other offline computer.
182 2017-12-27T11:27:22  <karanlearns> i get this error when i try to run latest source bitcoin-qt from offline computer
183 2017-12-27T11:27:24  <karanlearns> error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.63.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
184 2017-12-27T11:31:16  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: move this question to #bitcoin imo. How ever the problem seems to be that you do not have lib boost system installed (system wide) on the target offline computer
185 2017-12-27T11:32:08  <karanlearns> rafalcpp: this was working fine when i copied the 0.15.1 release bin file to offline computer
186 2017-12-27T11:34:56  <karanlearns> earlier - i had copied bitcoin-qt from bin/ of the release 0.15.1 on my offline computer and it worked fine.
187 2017-12-27T11:35:45  <karanlearns> now when i cloned from github,added one commit ,  make, install and then copied bitcoin-qt file from bin on offline computer - i got error
188 2017-12-27T11:36:17  <karanlearns> "error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.63.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
189 2017-12-27T11:36:42  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: you mean the officially released binaries worked?
190 2017-12-27T11:37:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
191 2017-12-27T11:37:07  <karanlearns> rafalcpp: yes
192 2017-12-27T11:37:40  <karanlearns> then i needed one commit not present in released binary. so i cloned, added the commit, make, install
193 2017-12-27T11:38:07  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2017-12-27T11:38:40  <karanlearns> and then copied the bitcoin-qt file from src folder first, then tried with bitcoin-qt under bin folder
195 2017-12-27T11:39:04  <karanlearns> copied to offline computer and bitcoin-qt gives error
196 2017-12-27T11:39:33  <karanlearns> i created a question here as well - https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/66695/error-while-loading-shared-libraries-libboost-system-so-1-63-0-cannot-open-sha
197 2017-12-27T11:39:40  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2017-12-27T11:41:49  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: official binaries are from Gitian. It could be building it differently then normal Make, e.g. static linking some libraries like boost system. While your normal ./configure + make does not
199 2017-12-27T11:42:00  <arubi> use this https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/depends/README.md
200 2017-12-27T11:45:46  <karanlearns> arubi: for tails 64 bit - what should i do , i cannot easily figure from the docs.
201 2017-12-27T11:45:56  <karanlearns> shall i do this  make HOST = aarch64-linux-gnu
202 2017-12-27T11:46:07  <arubi> no that's for arm 64
203 2017-12-27T11:47:02  <arubi> karanlearns, run `gcc -v` I guess and look at the "Target: " , for me it's "Target: x86_64-linux-gnu"
204 2017-12-27T11:47:13  <karanlearns> i need the one for 64 bit linux present here - https://bitcoin.org/en/download
205 2017-12-27T11:47:40  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: target computer is 64 bit PC right?
206 2017-12-27T11:47:41  <karanlearns> ok
207 2017-12-27T11:47:44  <karanlearns> yes
208 2017-12-27T11:47:56  <karanlearns> tails os = linux 64 bit
209 2017-12-27T11:48:23  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: and you build on what, also 64 bi PC, 64 bit linux?
210 2017-12-27T11:48:29  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: and you build on what, also 64 bit PC, 64 bit linux?
211 2017-12-27T11:48:29  <karanlearns> so i just need to do make host = <target>
212 2017-12-27T11:48:33  <karanlearns> instead of make
213 2017-12-27T11:48:38  <karanlearns> yes
214 2017-12-27T11:48:43  <karanlearns> rafalcpp: yes
215 2017-12-27T11:48:53  <arubi> it's more than that
216 2017-12-27T11:49:06  <arubi> you have to build the stuff in depends too
217 2017-12-27T11:49:18  <rafalcpp> if you build and run on same architecture (64 bit intel/amd, 64 bit linux os) then the host=... option is not needed, skip it.  Continue to the paragraph below about installing dependencies
218 2017-12-27T11:54:30  <rafalcpp> arubi: I'm not sure if that README alone address his issue. Doesn't he need to either 1) install lib boost on target OS,  or 2) use options to make the build be a [partially] static one?
219 2017-12-27T11:55:06  <karanlearns> everything works great on my online computer already from cloned,modified source
220 2017-12-27T11:55:37  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: easiest would be imo to install libboost package (not -dev, just the regular one) on the target offline machine
221 2017-12-27T11:55:37  <arubi> iirc, it's cd into the depends dir, run make (with host set or not), go back to the root dir, run configure with the prefix flag set to the depends build dir, run make
222 2017-12-27T11:55:42  <karanlearns> now i need to build this for my target system so that target system doesnt look for libboost_system.so
223 2017-12-27T11:56:50  <arubi> it's not that the target is wrong, the binary you built is link dynamically
224 2017-12-27T11:57:07  <arubi> you'll want to use the depends system to build statically with the proper versions of the libs
225 2017-12-27T11:57:37  <arubi> s/link/linked/
226 2017-12-27T11:58:29  <rafalcpp> karanlearns: yeap try that method with cd and make in deps first as above;  let me know if it worked :)
227 2017-12-27T12:02:23  <karanlearns> arubi: thanks - i am trying this out.
228 2017-12-27T12:03:28  <karanlearns> rafalcp: thanks, i shall report back.
229 2017-12-27T12:03:44  <karanlearns> rafalcpp: thanks, i shall report back.
230 2017-12-27T12:09:37  *** Danilo__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2017-12-27T12:10:38  *** Danilo_ has quit IRC
232 2017-12-27T12:22:29  <sipa> karanlearns: you can do a depends build if you want release-like binaries without the overhead of gitian's determistic build system
233 2017-12-27T12:22:55  <arubi> already linked ^
234 2017-12-27T12:23:09  <sipa> ok, cool, i didn't read backlog
235 2017-12-27T12:24:00  *** Danilo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2017-12-27T12:26:02  *** Danilo__ has quit IRC
237 2017-12-27T12:26:59  *** karanlearns has quit IRC
238 2017-12-27T12:30:22  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2017-12-27T12:48:17  *** Danilo__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2017-12-27T12:50:10  *** Danilo_ has quit IRC
241 2017-12-27T12:53:49  *** dbit has quit IRC
242 2017-12-27T13:00:11  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
243 2017-12-27T13:21:22  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2017-12-27T13:29:40  *** Ylbam has quit IRC
245 2017-12-27T13:31:41  *** xiedeacc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2017-12-27T13:52:53  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
247 2017-12-27T13:53:31  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2017-12-27T13:55:04  *** rsb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2017-12-27T14:00:40  *** Danilo__ has quit IRC
250 2017-12-27T14:01:53  *** Danilo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2017-12-27T14:03:17  *** Kozuch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2017-12-27T14:03:38  *** banavara has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2017-12-27T14:06:26  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
254 2017-12-27T14:06:44  *** rsb has quit IRC
255 2017-12-27T14:08:01  <rafalcpp> why Bitcoin chooses to link libc dynamically? any pros/cons?
256 2017-12-27T14:10:49  <contrapumpkin> on macOS, it's effectively required to link it dynamically, to be well behaved. Not that everyone respects that...
257 2017-12-27T14:11:04  <contrapumpkin> are you concerned about something in particular?
258 2017-12-27T14:14:32  <rafalcpp> contrapumpkin: I'm generally learning how Bitcoin chooses to use static vs dynamic linking and why so
259 2017-12-27T14:14:35  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2017-12-27T14:14:48  <contrapumpkin> do you understand the pros and cons in other contexts?
261 2017-12-27T14:16:39  <contrapumpkin> I don't think it's all that different for bitcoin, unless you're concerned about someone injecting malicious code by swapping out a dynamically linked dependency. But if they're futzing with executable code on your computer, you're probably screwed anyway (they could do LD_PRELOAD, poke around in memory, and various other shenanigans to mess with your running node)
262 2017-12-27T14:16:56  <sipa> rafalcpp: release binaries have it statically, no?
263 2017-12-27T14:17:44  <sipa> or, as BlueMatt tells me irl "because otherwise resolv.conf doesn't work properly"
264 2017-12-27T14:18:09  <contrapumpkin> because some glibcs interpret nsswitch.conf differently?
265 2017-12-27T14:24:20  *** fanquake has quit IRC
266 2017-12-27T14:33:58  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2017-12-27T14:34:37  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2017-12-27T14:34:37  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2017-12-27T14:50:26  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
270 2017-12-27T14:51:17  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2017-12-27T14:54:41  <rafalcpp> sipa: no, released (Gitian) binary dynamically links libc, also librt, libgcc, libpthread, (and ld), and libm in bitcoind but not in -cli.   (ldd bitcoin-cli   shows)
272 2017-12-27T14:55:19  <contrapumpkin> those are all pretty basic runtime libs
273 2017-12-27T14:56:48  <rafalcpp> indeed. Though some could be moved to static too, so I wondered about this reasoning
274 2017-12-27T14:57:14  <contrapumpkin> I take it you're only asking about the linux situation?
275 2017-12-27T14:57:29  *** banavara has quit IRC
276 2017-12-27T14:59:13  <rafalcpp> contrapumpkin: nope, for all platforms too
277 2017-12-27T15:00:15  <contrapumpkin> on macOS, those libraries are all lumped into one called libSystem (minus libgcc/librt which are replaced with their LLVM counterparts), and you're expected to dynamically link against it, because Apple doesn't commit to a syscall ABI from the kernel
278 2017-12-27T15:00:52  <contrapumpkin> the big exception here is Go, who ignored the advice and wrote their own syscall wrappers, so go binaries compiled before 1.7 will break on recent macOS
279 2017-12-27T15:00:57  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
280 2017-12-27T15:03:37  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2017-12-27T15:03:39  *** Guyver2_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2017-12-27T15:04:05  *** Guyver2_ has quit IRC
283 2017-12-27T15:05:09  *** photonclock_ has quit IRC
284 2017-12-27T15:07:48  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2017-12-27T15:07:50  *** xiedeacc has quit IRC
286 2017-12-27T15:09:00  *** xiedeacc_ has quit IRC
287 2017-12-27T15:12:56  *** vasp has quit IRC
288 2017-12-27T15:13:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2017-12-27T15:15:36  *** LordCow has left #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2017-12-27T15:16:08  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
291 2017-12-27T15:17:24  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2017-12-27T15:17:24  *** promag has quit IRC
293 2017-12-27T15:18:35  *** promag_ has quit IRC
294 2017-12-27T15:21:47  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
295 2017-12-27T15:22:18  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
296 2017-12-27T15:24:21  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
297 2017-12-27T15:25:04  *** zshlyk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2017-12-27T15:26:08  *** luis__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2017-12-27T15:27:46  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
300 2017-12-27T15:33:26  <tyrick> where is the new segwit UI code? I checkout out sipa201709_segwitwallet2
301 2017-12-27T15:33:58  <tyrick> But not seeing new UI there
302 2017-12-27T15:35:24  *** luis__ has quit IRC
303 2017-12-27T15:40:27  <sipa> tyrick: it'll give you segwit addresses by default everywhere
304 2017-12-27T15:41:05  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
305 2017-12-27T15:41:18  <contrapumpkin> oh, is it using bech32 now?
306 2017-12-27T15:41:20  <sipa> you can control the type of addresses with the -addresstype command line / config option
307 2017-12-27T15:41:37  <sipa> contrapumpkin: p2sh-p2wpkh by default
308 2017-12-27T15:41:44  <sipa> bech32 if you ask for it
309 2017-12-27T15:43:01  <contrapumpkin> nice
310 2017-12-27T15:43:07  <tyrick> nice job!
311 2017-12-27T15:43:15  <contrapumpkin> this is to shut up all the people asking for segwit by default?
312 2017-12-27T15:43:20  <contrapumpkin> erm, I mean, to improve adoption
313 2017-12-27T15:44:06  <sipa> contrapumpkin: the interesting thing is that about 90% of the complication in that PR is dealing with backward compatibility
314 2017-12-27T15:44:20  <sipa> (downgrading software, restoring backups, ...)
315 2017-12-27T15:44:36  <sipa> otherwise having segwit in the wallet would likely have happened much faster
316 2017-12-27T15:44:51  <contrapumpkin> yeah, makes sense
317 2017-12-27T15:45:23  <tyrick> Is this being released as 0.16?
318 2017-12-27T15:45:31  <sipa> tyrick: likely
319 2017-12-27T15:45:50  <sipa> (it's not even merged yet into master, much less included in a releasr)
320 2017-12-27T15:47:45  <contrapumpkin> the schnorr stuff only helps space efficiency with multiple inputs to a txn, not outputs, right?
321 2017-12-27T15:48:11  *** Kozuch has quit IRC
322 2017-12-27T15:52:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2017-12-27T15:53:38  <sipa> contrapumpkin: indeed
324 2017-12-27T15:54:12  *** finkan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2017-12-27T15:55:36  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2017-12-27T15:59:16  *** finkan has quit IRC
327 2017-12-27T16:01:44  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
328 2017-12-27T16:06:44  *** pkx2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2017-12-27T16:09:26  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
330 2017-12-27T16:09:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jb55 opened pull request #12035: [qt] change µBTC to bits (master...qt-bits) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12035
331 2017-12-27T16:11:19  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
332 2017-12-27T16:13:32  <jb55> is anyone working on schnorr stuff?
333 2017-12-27T16:13:59  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2017-12-27T16:16:21  <contrapumpkin> jb55: from a similar question I asked yesterday,
335 2017-12-27T16:16:24  <contrapumpkin> [13:31:53]  <andytoshi>	to the extent that they're talking about anything specific, i believe they're talking about the aggregate signature proposal that gmaxwell sipa and myself are working on
336 2017-12-27T16:16:45  <jb55> nice
337 2017-12-27T16:22:07  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
338 2017-12-27T16:25:30  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2017-12-27T16:31:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
340 2017-12-27T16:32:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
341 2017-12-27T16:35:12  *** zshlyk has quit IRC
342 2017-12-27T16:38:22  *** vasp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
343 2017-12-27T16:39:29  *** helpplx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2017-12-27T16:40:23  <rafalcpp> so cool, so there could be then services to recover dust of various people, and pay then out of bound, e.g. by fiat, or charging their LN?
345 2017-12-27T16:40:30  <helpplx> hi, i tried to send a tx from bitcoin core with too low fee it seems, it shows as 0/not broadcasted yet. trying to use pushtx services shows the fee is too low. it deducted the balance from the bitcoin-core wallet.. what should i do? restart the wallet? if so will the funds return there? thatnks, sorry
346 2017-12-27T16:40:34  <helpplx> its 25 btc
347 2017-12-27T16:40:35  <helpplx> :(
348 2017-12-27T16:41:38  <helpplx> " Error sending transaction: insufficient priority and fee for relay. " blockcypher push tx shows, and blockchain pushtx shows Validation Error: Insufficient fee. Please try again with a higher fee... bitcoin console showsTX decode failed (code -22) when broadcasting with sendrawtx
349 2017-12-27T16:44:22  *** alf1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2017-12-27T16:44:31  <alf1> hi!
351 2017-12-27T16:45:04  <alf1> anyone dev here?
352 2017-12-27T16:45:22  <alf1> or support guy?
353 2017-12-27T16:45:51  <contrapumpkin> alf1: ask your question and if someone can answer, they will (or will tell you where to ask instead)
354 2017-12-27T16:46:05  <contrapumpkin> this is not a support channel though
355 2017-12-27T16:48:17  <helpplx> im sorry too for asking a support question but its a 25 btc transaction. sendrawtransaction fails, i dont understand if the btc are still in my wallet if i restart the bitcoin core wallet..only this..thanks guys
356 2017-12-27T16:48:47  *** Guest4EF9DB has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2017-12-27T16:53:58  *** mangoknight has quit IRC
358 2017-12-27T16:56:28  <helpplx> ..+
359 2017-12-27T16:56:29  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
360 2017-12-27T16:56:45  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
361 2017-12-27T16:57:08  <jb55> helpplx alf1: try asking on bitcoin.stackexchange.com
362 2017-12-27T16:59:35  <helpplx> thanks but its really a "yes" or "no" question, the devs here know this..i used bitcoin-core wallet, set the fee to low (24 hours) and this mess happend. balance is deducted but tx not broadcated. do i need to restart btc core to get those 25 btc (390k $) back into the sender wallet? thanks for the work.
363 2017-12-27T17:01:10  <provoostenator> contrapumpkin: I made PR #11991 to add a bech32 checkbox in the GUI, which is on top of sipa's changes.
364 2017-12-27T17:01:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11991 | [qt] Receive: checkbox for bech32 address by Sjors · Pull Request #11991 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
365 2017-12-27T17:02:25  <alf1> okay, i try: i have transfer btcs from bitpanda.com to my bitcoin core wallet (0.15.1). (transaction ID 41354056bfe77f201d1aa098b2a2b34505aa9d4812935c44cf66a417abcde3ed). but i cant working with btc, because its still pending. i still waiting for "availible". i try -rescan, but it isnt working. can anybody help?
366 2017-12-27T17:02:44  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
367 2017-12-27T17:04:32  <helpplx> is this hard to get a yes or no from the official irc channel of the software i just used to send 390k$ and got issues? sorry but holy shit im stressed out
368 2017-12-27T17:06:48  <rabidus> calm down. official channel is #bitcoin
369 2017-12-27T17:12:19  <contrapumpkin> helpplx: short answer is that the core client never gets rid of your private keys unless you delete them yourself, so if the txn really wasn't broadcast, the money is still yours. If it was broadcast and the client is just being weird and not showing you that, then the money is going where you wanted it to. I don't see many chances for bad outcomes
370 2017-12-27T17:13:57  <rafalcpp> helpplx: this channel is only about C++/etc developers who code bitcoin core client. Ask in #bitcoin. And as others say, you can NOT lose your money by sending it with too low fee.
371 2017-12-27T17:15:22  <helpplx> thanks, tx shows as "Status: 0/offline, has not been successfully broadcast yet" on my wallet (sender).. so i can safely restart it? and funds will be returned..
372 2017-12-27T17:18:07  <helpplx> after restarting it shows the same..balance deducted..shit..
373 2017-12-27T17:18:56  *** snufff has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2017-12-27T17:22:26  *** Guest4EF9DB has quit IRC
375 2017-12-27T17:23:45  *** snufff has quit IRC
376 2017-12-27T17:24:23  *** Guest4EF9DB has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
377 2017-12-27T17:32:11  <provoostenator> I might be witnessing #10646 live. Trying to gather some useful info. What aspect of catching up on the latest blocks uses gigabytes of disk I/O but <5% CPU and 350 MB memory, while hardly decreasing the number of blocks left for > 10 minutes?
378 2017-12-27T17:32:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10646 | Windows Gui becomes non responsive after "Done loading" · Issue #10646 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
379 2017-12-27T17:32:17  *** pkx2 has quit IRC
380 2017-12-27T17:32:21  <provoostenator> (on OSX though)
381 2017-12-27T17:32:50  <sipa> provoostenator: low dbcache?
382 2017-12-27T17:32:54  <provoostenator> 5 GB
383 2017-12-27T17:33:03  <sipa> pruning on?
384 2017-12-27T17:33:42  <provoostenator> Not pruned. I'm running a bitcoind instance in the background, but not on the same network. Also running btcd in the background. So there's probably a lot of disk I/O getting in the way from these competing things.
385 2017-12-27T17:33:59  <provoostenator> But the machine is very responsive otherwise.
386 2017-12-27T17:34:49  <provoostenator> Mmm, it also only has 2 peers, that's odd
387 2017-12-27T17:36:42  <provoostenator> It only received data from one of those peers, and just 5 MB
388 2017-12-27T17:38:02  <provoostenator> getmemoryinfo -> {"locked": {"used": 32704,  "free": 491584,  "total": 524288,  "locked": 524288,"chunks_used": 1022, "chunks_free": 899}}
389 2017-12-27T17:38:35  <helpplx> im importing a full datadir from another client (same linux, diff laptop), and keeping only the original wallet.dat. will this return my 25 btc to the wallet? thanks
390 2017-12-27T17:39:07  <sipa> helpplx: this channel is not for support, take this elsewhere
391 2017-12-27T17:40:23  *** Guest4EF9DB has quit IRC
392 2017-12-27T17:41:15  <provoostenator> getblockchaininfo takes 64 seconds  to respond, but UI remains responsive.
393 2017-12-27T17:41:20  <helpplx> its a issue of the wallet, it didint warn me. i selected "low fee, 24 hours", it created a transaction that the network doesnt accept. is not my fault, at least add a warning. where to ask? #bitcoin is sandboxed nobody replies its a joke
394 2017-12-27T17:42:18  <sipa> helpplx: try https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com
395 2017-12-27T17:42:22  <provoostenator> Oh and as I said in the Github ticket, this is the SegWit wallet branch, though slightly outdated. I'll make sure to update it so I can get more useful info if it happens again.
396 2017-12-27T17:43:33  <sipa> provoostenator: is the I/O due to bitcoin core, or from other processes?
397 2017-12-27T17:43:45  <provoostenator> BitcoinQT
398 2017-12-27T17:44:56  <provoostenator> Bitcoin Core wrote 3.2 GB so far and read 4 GB, not sure how much bitcoind and btcd read/wrote in the same time period.
399 2017-12-27T17:44:58  <sipa> is it writing the whole time, or only reading, or writing in batches?
400 2017-12-27T17:45:14  <sipa> bitcoind == Bitcoin Core?
401 2017-12-27T17:45:54  <provoostenator> No, I meant "Bitcoin Core" when I said "BitcoinQT" (the name of the GUI process)
402 2017-12-27T17:46:25  <provoostenator> It seems to be reading and writing at the same time, 158 reads/sec, 61 writes/sec. Not sure how aggregated that is.
403 2017-12-27T17:46:52  <provoostenator> I can run top with your favorite arguments...
404 2017-12-27T17:46:56  <sipa> the expected behaviour is that it's reading pretty much the whole time, and only writing when flushing
405 2017-12-27T17:47:21  <sipa> you can see the flushing by seeing the size of the dbcache (in the uodatetip log line) go down
406 2017-12-27T17:47:31  *** koltenb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
407 2017-12-27T17:49:49  <provoostenator> And I assume you'd see memory use drop during a flush? I don't see that. It's climing slowly, maybe a couple of MB per minute, at about 400 MB now. Total system memory usage is only 9 GB out of 16.
408 2017-12-27T17:50:26  <helpplx> it still shows the deducted balance wtf
409 2017-12-27T17:50:31  <sipa> it should go up until it hits the limit, and then drop back to zero
410 2017-12-27T17:50:44  <helpplx> what can i do seriously? this is bad
411 2017-12-27T17:51:24  <sipa> helpplx: i'm sure this is a serious problem for you, but this is not the place to ask. people here are at work and have their own priorities. on stackexchange or other fora there are far more people who can help you
412 2017-12-27T17:52:53  <provoostenator> Right, that's not happening; and it really shouldn't hit the limit of 5 GB anytime soon Do you mean debug.log or another file? I don't see any "tip" entries for this session.
413 2017-12-27T17:53:35  <sipa> debug.log should always contain those entries
414 2017-12-27T17:53:54  <sipa> UpdateTip
415 2017-12-27T17:54:16  <provoostenator> Oh wait: UpdateTip: new best=0000000000000000008adf168e59c00d74f5a0077993e0c3848eefd82e4daa9c height=500856 version=0x20000000 log2_work=87.723434 tx=285685879 date='2017-12-24 16:07:09' progress=0.997127 cache=22.2MiB(169291txo)
416 2017-12-27T17:55:05  <sipa> yes
417 2017-12-27T17:55:10  <sipa> the cache= field
418 2017-12-27T17:55:54  <helpplx> you understand thousands of people could suffer the same "bug" where the wallet creates invalid tx? if 25 btc its not important i dont know what is lol. i just asked what to do, like "that tx will return to you in X hours, chill" or "do this or that, fine" is ok.
419 2017-12-27T17:59:10  <provoostenator> sipa: the cache just increased every block during this session: https://gist.github.com/Sjors/a9a383175a6c00e126e090df61dd39e8
420 2017-12-27T17:59:12  <sipa> helpplx: if you suspect there is a bug, you can also file an issue on https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues
421 2017-12-27T17:59:50  <sipa> helpplx: i don't have time to look into all details of your situation, but i suspect it will just eventually either confirm, or cancellable using abandontransaction
422 2017-12-27T18:00:37  *** Danilo__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
423 2017-12-27T18:01:00  <provoostenator> Note the block index      369541ms on line 44 , which I assume is there the UI was handing
424 2017-12-27T18:01:31  <sipa> that's 6 minutes
425 2017-12-27T18:01:36  <sipa> that may just be the flush
426 2017-12-27T18:02:27  *** Danilo_ has quit IRC
427 2017-12-27T18:04:12  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
428 2017-12-27T18:04:33  <provoostenator> Meanwhile disk I/O is now at 3.9 / 5.22 GB (from 3.2 / 4 GB 20 minutes ago)
429 2017-12-27T18:05:33  <provoostenator> (normally I would just kill everthing in the background and things generally get better, but I'll leave those on now)
430 2017-12-27T18:06:31  <helpplx>  Transaction not eligible for abandonment (code -5)
431 2017-12-27T18:06:49  *** Guest4EF9DB has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2017-12-27T18:07:53  <sipa> helpplx: that means the transaction is in the mempool and will confirm when a miner picks it up
433 2017-12-27T18:08:01  *** Guest4EF9DB is now known as snufff
434 2017-12-27T18:08:12  *** hirishaway is now known as hirish
435 2017-12-27T18:08:31  <sipa> helpplx: in any case, either the transaction goes through or it does not; you don't lose money
436 2017-12-27T18:08:42  <sipa> helpplx: now, please, go to the proper forums
437 2017-12-27T18:15:15  <sipa> provoostenator: i'm confused, what is the unexpected behaviour you're observing?
438 2017-12-27T18:15:20  <sipa> is it during a flush?
439 2017-12-27T18:15:45  <sipa> you'd expect it do several GB of writes during a flush
440 2017-12-27T18:18:27  *** andytoshi has quit IRC
441 2017-12-27T18:18:59  *** Guest4EF9DB has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
442 2017-12-27T18:22:15  *** snufff has quit IRC
443 2017-12-27T18:23:29  <provoostenator> Ok, so you're saying it's been flushing for the past 30 minutes? Flushing what exactly? Is there any way to know for sure?
444 2017-12-27T18:23:59  <sipa> are there new lines being produced in the log?
445 2017-12-27T18:24:13  <sipa> flushing the utxo changes
446 2017-12-27T18:24:19  <provoostenator> yes, every time it receives a block
447 2017-12-27T18:24:31  <sipa> flushing is blocking
448 2017-12-27T18:24:33  <sipa> so no
449 2017-12-27T18:24:43  <sipa> you wouldn't see anything during a flush
450 2017-12-27T18:25:14  <provoostenator> Right, so there's some other reason why it's slowly reading and writing gigabytes of data...
451 2017-12-27T18:26:01  <sipa> there shouldn't really been any writes at all
452 2017-12-27T18:26:05  *** snufff has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
453 2017-12-27T18:26:09  <sipa> apart from writing the new block to disk
454 2017-12-27T18:26:19  *** andytoshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
455 2017-12-27T18:26:24  <sipa> oh, with txindex enabled you'd see much more writes
456 2017-12-27T18:26:30  <sipa> if that turned on?
457 2017-12-27T18:26:35  <provoostenator> Oh yes, I probably should have mentioned that.
458 2017-12-27T18:26:59  <sipa> yes, that will kill performamce
459 2017-12-27T18:27:30  <provoostenator> That's an understatement.
460 2017-12-27T18:27:59  <sipa> i don't believe actual progress is that much slowed down by it
461 2017-12-27T18:28:15  <sipa> but it's not optimized in any way, really
462 2017-12-27T18:29:33  <provoostenator> txindex is useful if you want to run Lightning against your own full node. So presumably more people will run into this, if performance really is a problem. Although I should compare against a scenario of not having other processes with disk i/o in the background.
463 2017-12-27T18:29:53  *** Guest4EF9DB has quit IRC
464 2017-12-27T18:29:56  <provoostenator> Does it have to rewrite the index every time a tx comes in?
465 2017-12-27T18:31:39  <sipa> provoostenator: what?
466 2017-12-27T18:31:47  <sipa> does loghtning require txindex?!
467 2017-12-27T18:31:59  <jb55> no
468 2017-12-27T18:32:04  <sipa> that's pretty terrible
469 2017-12-27T18:32:05  <provoostenator> eclair does: https://github.com/ACINQ/eclair
470 2017-12-27T18:32:11  <jb55> clightning does not
471 2017-12-27T18:32:21  <provoostenator> Obviously lightning doesn't intrisically.
472 2017-12-27T18:32:36  <provoostenator> So does lnd I believe, although they currently don't support bitcoin core yet.
473 2017-12-27T18:33:29  <provoostenator> btcd is taking two weeks to just do an IBD, because it doesn't have any of Core's recent performance enhancement stuff. But I've never tried that without txindex=1
474 2017-12-27T18:34:01  <sipa> well it's ridiculous to assume end users can run with txindex imho
475 2017-12-27T18:34:39  <provoostenator> I guess now I have an excuse to try https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning (at least the README doesn't specify that such an index is needed)
476 2017-12-27T18:34:53  <jb55> it's a bit buggy but it works sometimes
477 2017-12-27T18:35:07  <sipa> it's for debugging or running a rudinentary explorer like thing
478 2017-12-27T18:35:31  <provoostenator> sipa: is it inherently resource intensive?
479 2017-12-27T18:37:41  <jb55> I want to write a standalone indexing daemon but I wonder how much internal state I would need...
480 2017-12-27T18:37:56  <provoostenator> lnd will let you connect to somebody else's node fairly easily, but that uses the still experimental neutrino protocol.
481 2017-12-27T18:38:59  <provoostenator> eclair needs RPC and ZMQ and sends and receive directly using the Core wallet, so hard to avoid the problem there.
482 2017-12-27T18:39:43  <provoostenator> I don't know what they need the index for, I'd have to dig a bit more and maybe file some Github tickets there to make them rethink that.
483 2017-12-27T18:39:50  <molz> lnd requires txindex in bitcoind too
484 2017-12-27T18:40:04  <provoostenator> molz: yes, but in *somebody elses* bitcoind :-)
485 2017-12-27T18:40:34  <sipa> provoostenator: just the idea that you'd need the entire history of the currency for any end user application is already ridiculous - it being fully indexed even more so
486 2017-12-27T18:45:58  <provoostenator> I asked: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/issues/527
487 2017-12-27T18:48:39  <provoostenator> I'll ask the Eclair folks as well once I know a bit more why lnd needs this. Anyway, I'll let it run for a few more hours here... will let you know if anything interesting happens.
488 2017-12-27T18:51:03  *** pkx2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
489 2017-12-27T18:52:25  *** alpha_red has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
490 2017-12-27T18:54:48  <alpha_red> disconnect
491 2017-12-27T18:54:54  *** alpha_red has quit IRC
492 2017-12-27T18:57:03  <gmaxwell> if something needs txindex that means that it is incompatible with pruning, which means that it is at least eventally incompatible with decenteralized operation.
493 2017-12-27T18:59:46  *** Cache_Money has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
494 2017-12-27T19:00:37  <provoostenator> gmaxwell: it could at least use a txindex that starts at the block height of the oldest open channel I assume.
495 2017-12-27T19:01:15  <provoostenator> But as I said, I have no idea why they need it at all. Hopefully there's a better approach possible.
496 2017-12-27T19:02:08  *** alpha_red has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2017-12-27T19:02:27  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
498 2017-12-27T19:02:31  <provoostenator> My guess would be that they're not tracking any state and just tell the node "hey, have you seen this specific tx id yet?". And if so, tell the user the channel just got closed / they got cheated.
499 2017-12-27T19:08:36  <cluelessperson> why use berkeleydb for wallet.dat ?
500 2017-12-27T19:10:55  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
501 2017-12-27T19:10:58  <luke-jr> cluelessperson: only because nobody has done the work of replacing it, basically
502 2017-12-27T19:12:08  <zelest> lets migrate it to mysql! *trollface*
503 2017-12-27T19:12:29  * Randolf votes for PostgreSQL
504 2017-12-27T19:12:53  *** pindarhk_ has quit IRC
505 2017-12-27T19:12:53  *** robby938 has quit IRC
506 2017-12-27T19:12:53  *** wbnns has quit IRC
507 2017-12-27T19:12:54  <cluelessperson> luke-jr: Ah.  Well my intention isn't to disrespect.  I just don't know why it would have been chosen.  Perhaps there was some discussion about effeciency or large scaling for vendors, I dunno.   I'm a HUGE fan of json, sqlite, postgres myself.
508 2017-12-27T19:12:55  <zelest> any relation database sounds a bit overkill tbh
509 2017-12-27T19:13:02  *** ThisAsYou has quit IRC
510 2017-12-27T19:13:02  *** NicolasDorier has quit IRC
511 2017-12-27T19:13:06  <cluelessperson> zelest: not for exchanges.
512 2017-12-27T19:13:12  *** hsmiths has quit IRC
513 2017-12-27T19:13:15  <zelest> true
514 2017-12-27T19:13:26  *** CodeShark has quit IRC
515 2017-12-27T19:13:29  <zelest> but for a single users' wallet.dat
516 2017-12-27T19:13:30  *** exit70 has quit IRC
517 2017-12-27T19:13:34  *** nOgAnOo has quit IRC
518 2017-12-27T19:13:34  *** trotski2000 has quit IRC
519 2017-12-27T19:13:34  *** rubensayshi has quit IRC
520 2017-12-27T19:13:34  *** Varunram has quit IRC
521 2017-12-27T19:13:35  *** ibrightly has quit IRC
522 2017-12-27T19:13:36  *** aspect_ has quit IRC
523 2017-12-27T19:13:37  *** derbumi has quit IRC
524 2017-12-27T19:13:38  <cluelessperson> zelest: I've had cases where people used tens of thousands of addresses.
525 2017-12-27T19:13:39  *** Bosma has quit IRC
526 2017-12-27T19:13:53  <cluelessperson> has to scale
527 2017-12-27T19:13:56  *** mappum has quit IRC
528 2017-12-27T19:13:59  *** eragmus has quit IRC
529 2017-12-27T19:14:01  *** rodarmor has quit IRC
530 2017-12-27T19:14:01  *** mariorz has quit IRC
531 2017-12-27T19:14:10  *** lejitz has quit IRC
532 2017-12-27T19:14:10  *** brg444 has quit IRC
533 2017-12-27T19:14:20  *** Muis has quit IRC
534 2017-12-27T19:14:20  *** wallet42 has quit IRC
535 2017-12-27T19:14:23  *** sugarpuff has quit IRC
536 2017-12-27T19:14:31  *** nejon has quit IRC
537 2017-12-27T19:14:34  <cluelessperson> luke-jr: Can you help me understand the skills I need to help?   I'm planning on taking classes, but that's going to take me months-year to even start working in c++
538 2017-12-27T19:14:47  <eck> berkeleydb can handle tens of thousands of database entries too
539 2017-12-27T19:14:50  *** epic has quit IRC
540 2017-12-27T19:14:52  *** michagogo has quit IRC
541 2017-12-27T19:14:53  *** mturquette has quit IRC
542 2017-12-27T19:14:58  *** klow has quit IRC
543 2017-12-27T19:15:05  *** jl2012 has quit IRC
544 2017-12-27T19:15:07  <cluelessperson> eck: it's just impossible for laymen to use/troubleshoot in this state.
545 2017-12-27T19:15:14  <zelest> i dunno, i might lack the understanding of the bitcoin protocol, but having a whole database because a few single corner cases has to scale feels a bit bloated tbh :o
546 2017-12-27T19:15:15  <cluelessperson> outside of through bitcoin core itself
547 2017-12-27T19:15:32  <cluelessperson> Hell, I'm doing this in python
548 2017-12-27T19:15:33  <Randolf> For a Wallet application written in Java, I'd lean heavily to using the H2 database engine for a high-performance pure-Java SQL option (it has a built-in AES encryption option that encrypts the entire database file):  http://www.h2database.com/
549 2017-12-27T19:15:33  <cluelessperson> w = db.DB()
550 2017-12-27T19:15:34  <cluelessperson> w.open("wallet.dat", "main", db.DB_BTREE, db.DB_RDONLY)
551 2017-12-27T19:16:05  <cluelessperson> for i in w.items(): print(i) and it's 1000 lines of human unreadable info. :/
552 2017-12-27T19:16:42  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2017-12-27T19:17:18  <zelest> this just reminds me of when people setup mail servers.. they demand a fully configured database server and yet they setup a single domain with 3 mail accounts.. that's it.. :P
554 2017-12-27T19:18:17  <zelest> but yeah, mayhaps have the option to use different database backends, if needed.. might be a bit much to support though?
555 2017-12-27T19:20:47  <Randolf> zelest:  That's where you start getting into setting up a "driver" layer so that others can contribute support for their favourite databases in a modular fashion.
556 2017-12-27T19:21:13  * zelest nods
557 2017-12-27T19:22:28  *** hirish is now known as hirishaway
558 2017-12-27T19:23:45  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2017-12-27T19:24:42  *** Squidicc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2017-12-27T19:26:09  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
561 2017-12-27T19:26:48  *** cheese_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2017-12-27T19:26:57  *** Squidicuz has quit IRC
563 2017-12-27T19:27:59  *** Cheeseo has quit IRC
564 2017-12-27T19:33:15  *** Emcy has quit IRC
565 2017-12-27T19:33:45  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2017-12-27T19:34:56  *** sugarpuff has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2017-12-27T19:35:06  <luke-jr> cluelessperson: BDB isn't a relational database; Satoshi chose it, so nobody will have a certain answer why
568 2017-12-27T19:39:42  *** alpha_red has quit IRC
569 2017-12-27T19:42:37  *** jb55 has quit IRC
570 2017-12-27T19:42:41  *** michagogo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2017-12-27T19:42:50  *** lejitz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2017-12-27T19:43:23  *** mappum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2017-12-27T19:43:39  *** rubensayshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
574 2017-12-27T19:43:53  *** pindarhk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
575 2017-12-27T19:44:08  *** Ylbam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
576 2017-12-27T19:44:27  <sipa> cluelessperson: the wallet loads all data in RAM anyway, the file format is pretty much irrelevant, it could be a text file
577 2017-12-27T19:44:47  *** exit70 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
578 2017-12-27T19:45:02  *** wallet42 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2017-12-27T19:45:24  *** ThisAsYou has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
580 2017-12-27T19:45:39  *** brg444 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
581 2017-12-27T19:45:41  *** klow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
582 2017-12-27T19:45:43  *** nOgAnOo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2017-12-27T19:45:58  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
584 2017-12-27T19:46:55  *** NicolasDorier has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2017-12-27T19:46:58  *** robby938 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
586 2017-12-27T19:47:24  *** trotski2000 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2017-12-27T19:47:26  *** Bosma has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
588 2017-12-27T19:48:04  *** CodeShark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
589 2017-12-27T19:49:46  *** wbnns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
590 2017-12-27T19:49:50  *** ibrightly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
591 2017-12-27T19:51:45  *** Varunram has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2017-12-27T19:53:02  *** mturquette has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
593 2017-12-27T19:53:14  *** eragmus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2017-12-27T19:53:21  *** Muis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2017-12-27T19:56:46  *** derbumi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2017-12-27T19:57:48  *** aspect_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
597 2017-12-27T19:59:16  *** mariorz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
598 2017-12-27T20:03:32  *** quantbot_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2017-12-27T20:05:14  *** finkan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
600 2017-12-27T20:06:23  *** quantbot has quit IRC
601 2017-12-27T20:07:43  *** quantbot_ has quit IRC
602 2017-12-27T20:08:42  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
603 2017-12-27T20:09:45  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
604 2017-12-27T20:11:09  *** Cache_Money has quit IRC
605 2017-12-27T20:13:10  <cluelessperson> Thoughts on this structure? https://hastebin.com/raw/wenabegati
606 2017-12-27T20:27:04  <sipa> cluelessperson: please read the gist i linked to in the segwit pr
607 2017-12-27T20:28:06  <gmaxwell> cluelessperson: redesigning things you do not understand is a bad reflex.
608 2017-12-27T20:30:20  *** finkan has quit IRC
609 2017-12-27T20:30:32  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: I feel that's incredibly insulting and unhelpful.  It's a wallet file that stores keys, what do I not understand about it?
610 2017-12-27T20:30:36  <cluelessperson> what's hard to understand about it?
611 2017-12-27T20:30:59  <sipa> cluelessperson: that hardly the only thing it stores
612 2017-12-27T20:32:04  <cluelessperson> sipa: what do you feel I'm missing?  transaction cache, block height last seen?, hash of the wallet file so if it's modified, it knows to rescan the blockchain ?
613 2017-12-27T20:32:14  <cluelessperson> or utxo
614 2017-12-27T20:33:13  <sipa> all of those and more
615 2017-12-27T20:34:10  <sipa> redeemscripts, public keys
616 2017-12-27T20:34:28  <sipa> pre generated keys / keypool
617 2017-12-27T20:34:32  <sipa> labels
618 2017-12-27T20:34:50  <sipa> tinestamps, key birthdates
619 2017-12-27T20:36:07  <phantomcircuit> not to mention most of the data is binary and storing it in json is a huge blowup
620 2017-12-27T20:37:01  <sipa> cluelessperson: and no offense, but if you need to ask "what's so hard about it", you clearly haven't really done much effort to understand what it is doing now
621 2017-12-27T20:38:04  <sipa> cluelessperson: that may be fine if you'd want to design something from scratch, but we're stuck with pretty demanding compatibility requirements (you can still load a 0.2.10 wallet.dat file and it will work)
622 2017-12-27T20:38:17  <cluelessperson> sipa: I'm suggesting a framework to make life easier for users using bitcoin.  Extracting and dealing with keys at this point is inevitable and currently painful.  All those things you mentioned fit into this framework.
623 2017-12-27T20:38:39  <sipa> cluelessperson: that still doesn't give a helpful upgrade scenario
624 2017-12-27T20:39:04  <sipa> the difficulty is not in designing a storage scheme, but in how it fits into all current use cases
625 2017-12-27T20:39:09  <cluelessperson> This is more of an example of how I want to make life easier for users, by no means would it be exactly this if I seriously suggest a change. :/
626 2017-12-27T20:39:29  <sipa> well, please go read the gist i linked to in the segwit pr
627 2017-12-27T20:39:31  *** jb55 has quit IRC
628 2017-12-27T20:39:55  <cluelessperson> sipa: sorry, I don't see a link from you
629 2017-12-27T20:40:03  <sipa> it talks how things work now, and how they can move towards something that's more like what you're describing
630 2017-12-27T20:40:19  <sipa> i'm on my phone in a train; it's linked in the segwit wallet pr
631 2017-12-27T20:40:25  <cluelessperson> ah, I'll find it then
632 2017-12-27T20:41:12  <sipa> also, no we're not seriously going to store wallets in JSON
633 2017-12-27T20:41:36  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2017-12-27T20:41:39  <sipa> though something like what you're describing may be useful as a dump/import format
635 2017-12-27T20:44:02  *** pkx2 has quit IRC
636 2017-12-27T20:44:03  <gmaxwell> cluelessperson: sorry man, but when you batter your head against something, then don't understand it, and respond by offering a redesign, _THAT_ is insulting and disrespectful.   It's sending a message that everyone else is such idiots that they couldn't manage to do it the simple way that you just tossed out.  That is seldom the case, usually when someone doesn't understand something thats beca
637 2017-12-27T20:44:09  <gmaxwell> use they haven't fully internalized the requirements, so they have no idea what its doing...  and that is why attempting to redesign when you don't understand things is a bad reflex.
638 2017-12-27T20:45:47  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: You're right, I'm sorry.  It's not really my intention to throw out your expertise.  I just deal with users day in and day out that have difficulty accessing their keys, which I feel is inevitable.
639 2017-12-27T20:46:09  <sipa> yes, there is no doubt that things can be improved a lot
640 2017-12-27T20:46:10  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
641 2017-12-27T20:46:32  <sipa> but changing things in this context is also very hard
642 2017-12-27T20:46:42  <cluelessperson> agreed.
643 2017-12-27T20:47:21  <gmaxwell> "difficulty accessing their keys"--
644 2017-12-27T20:47:27  <gmaxwell> I have no freeking idea what that means.
645 2017-12-27T20:48:08  <sipa> letting users access their keys was never a design goal
646 2017-12-27T20:48:23  <sipa> letting them manage them at a high level however perhaps should be
647 2017-12-27T20:48:27  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: Currently, the only method that seems reliable for exporting private keys, is to get the bitcoin core binary, start it, and use the console to dumpwallet.
648 2017-12-27T20:48:46  <gmaxwell> (1) there is a wallet dump which exports keys directly.  (2) for HD wallet there probably should eventually be no private keys in the wallet except for master keys.  (3) It is extraordinarly dangerous for users to work with keys directly, and has resulted losses of thousands of bitcoins, manually handling keys is not something we should encourage.
649 2017-12-27T20:49:08  *** pkx2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
650 2017-12-27T20:49:15  <cluelessperson> which often leads to misunderstanding like, "should I let it sync before I can export?" and things like that, there's a phenomenal amount of ignorance ;)
651 2017-12-27T20:49:16  <gmaxwell> cluelessperson: yes, and that is how it has to be ultimately; because they keys don't even need to be stored in the wallet files.
652 2017-12-27T20:49:41  *** promag has quit IRC
653 2017-12-27T20:49:53  <gmaxwell> some of that misunderstanding is due to the overly agressive initial sync screen, which could be clarified some.
654 2017-12-27T20:50:26  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: the problem is that the multiple softwares/wallets all have different methods of using/storying/importing keys.  that's what's forcing users to use them directly.
655 2017-12-27T20:51:12  <gmaxwell> They shouldn't be doing that, they should transfer funds. manually mucking with keys is supremely dangerous and for unsophicated users will reliably result in funds loss.
656 2017-12-27T20:51:40  <gmaxwell> not to mention that keys from one program may not even be compatible with anything else.
657 2017-12-27T20:52:26  <cluelessperson> Maybe I should write some procedure paper based on this topic.
658 2017-12-27T20:53:10  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: Another reason is that users sometimes go through a lot of effort to memorize seeds.  They don't want to send to another wallet, they want to keep it.
659 2017-12-27T20:53:28  <cluelessperson> that's what causes moving keys between softwares.
660 2017-12-27T20:54:28  <gmaxwell> you cannot use different 'seeds' in different wallets. They aren't compatible and cannot reasonably be because the functionality is different.
661 2017-12-27T20:54:45  <Bosma> Private keys have use now because they're used to claim fork funds.
662 2017-12-27T20:54:59  <cluelessperson> Bosma: paper wallets
663 2017-12-27T20:55:02  <sipa> Bosma: yeah &$#@!
664 2017-12-27T20:55:23  <gmaxwell> cluelessperson: which no one should ever be using.
665 2017-12-27T20:56:00  <gmaxwell> cluelessperson: and which are unrelated to bitcoin core in any case. (they cause a desire for _import_ which we support, not export)
666 2017-12-27T20:57:09  <cluelessperson> gmaxwell: Another idea comes to mind.  Suppose I should focus on writing up a list of reasons *why* I felt I'd want to change the wallet.dat structure.   Part of it was to make it portable, modifiable, and allow users to just insert new keys at whim,  from Electrum, BIP39, xpriv, xpub, WIF, mini, etc.
667 2017-12-27T20:57:33  <gmaxwell> that cant work.
668 2017-12-27T20:57:41  *** gmaxwell has left #bitcoin-core-dev
669 2017-12-27T20:57:43  <cluelessperson> Honestly, it's not the wallet.dat that's the problem, it's that I'm asking for more features, and they're  not being presented what the requested features are.
670 2017-12-27T20:59:04  <cluelessperson> I'm confused how that can't work.  Electrum does that to an extent.
671 2017-12-27T21:02:24  <jb55> one of the first things I did was get my keys out of core, never felt comfortable having them in some arbitrary binary blob. I never recommend core wallet new people for that reason, I've seen so many lose their hd/etc. I force them to all get trezors now :P
672 2017-12-27T21:02:48  <sipa> i agree there
673 2017-12-27T21:03:25  <sipa> i don't think compatibility with other wallet software, or allowing inserting keys at a wh
674 2017-12-27T21:03:51  <sipa> but there are benefits to a clearly understandable structure, which we currently really don't have
675 2017-12-27T21:04:01  <cluelessperson> sipa: The only reason I mention electrum is because they did derivation first, so I consider them a standard.
676 2017-12-27T21:04:28  <sipa> cluelessperson: and there's no reason to assume we'll want to be compatible - or if we do, that we can remain so
677 2017-12-27T21:04:53  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
678 2017-12-27T21:05:15  <jb55> hopefully we can crunch out a clean wallet upgrade path for hd hww's <> core soon. It's so hairy though gahh
679 2017-12-27T21:05:26  <sipa> compatibility is nice when possible, but generally different wallets have such different ideas about what even constitutes a wallet that i don't think it's a worthwhile goal on its own
680 2017-12-27T21:05:30  <sipa> jb55: yes!
681 2017-12-27T21:06:55  <cluelessperson> Here's the thing
682 2017-12-27T21:07:15  <cluelessperson> Pretty much everything uses BIP32/44 | xpriv,xpub  right?
683 2017-12-27T21:07:23  <sipa> no
684 2017-12-27T21:07:27  <sipa> bip32 yes
685 2017-12-27T21:07:33  <jb55> sipa no like 44
686 2017-12-27T21:07:41  *** cheese_ has quit IRC
687 2017-12-27T21:07:44  <cluelessperson> so, we could just store that and allow importing functions in general
688 2017-12-27T21:07:47  <sipa> but electrum does not follow bip44 afaik
689 2017-12-27T21:07:56  <sipa> cluelessperson: have you read my gist?
690 2017-12-27T21:08:04  <sipa> (it suggests that)
691 2017-12-27T21:10:22  <zelest> I have a /usr/local/lib/db4 (4.6.21) and I try to compile with --with-incompatible-bdb, yet ./configure fails with "libdb_cxx headers missing". By looking at the config.log, it tries to include bdb4.8/db_cxx.h, how can I specify what directory to look in?
692 2017-12-27T21:10:37  <zelest> compile/configure*
693 2017-12-27T21:10:58  <sipa> cluelessperson: but my gist also explains why doing so right now is very hard
694 2017-12-27T21:11:13  <jb55> zelest: try 4.8?
695 2017-12-27T21:11:37  <sipa> zelest: it needs at least 4.7 or 4.8
696 2017-12-27T21:11:48  <sipa> (i forgot which of the two is the minimum)
697 2017-12-27T21:13:54  <zelest> Ah, fair enough :)
698 2017-12-27T21:14:05  <zelest> then I give up completely on the ports version of bdb :)
699 2017-12-27T21:18:01  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
700 2017-12-27T21:18:05  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
701 2017-12-27T21:22:57  *** promag has quit IRC
702 2017-12-27T21:25:47  *** jl2012 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
703 2017-12-27T21:29:05  *** epic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
704 2017-12-27T21:32:24  *** hsmiths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
705 2017-12-27T21:32:57  *** rodarmor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
706 2017-12-27T21:38:03  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
707 2017-12-27T21:43:08  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
708 2017-12-27T21:48:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
709 2017-12-27T21:54:04  *** qube_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
710 2017-12-27T21:54:39  *** jb55 has quit IRC
711 2017-12-27T21:58:03  <zelest> wumpus, around?
712 2017-12-27T21:58:39  *** qube_ has quit IRC
713 2017-12-27T22:01:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
714 2017-12-27T22:13:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
715 2017-12-27T22:16:37  *** promag has quit IRC
716 2017-12-27T22:21:44  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
717 2017-12-27T22:24:31  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
718 2017-12-27T22:24:57  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
719 2017-12-27T22:25:45  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
720 2017-12-27T22:26:10  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
721 2017-12-27T22:27:12  *** promag has quit IRC
722 2017-12-27T22:32:33  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
723 2017-12-27T22:37:19  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
724 2017-12-27T22:40:23  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
725 2017-12-27T22:57:50  *** bahat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
726 2017-12-27T23:04:50  *** bahat has quit IRC
727 2017-12-27T23:05:58  *** pkx2 has quit IRC
728 2017-12-27T23:06:03  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
729 2017-12-27T23:06:37  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has quit IRC
730 2017-12-27T23:24:58  *** detire has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
731 2017-12-27T23:27:02  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
732 2017-12-27T23:27:35  *** ryanofsky has quit IRC
733 2017-12-27T23:30:20  <zelest> If I have a file I wish to change (quite a lot) and someone has already made a pull request with the same file. How should I approach it? wumpus told me to "please base it on" the pull request. Anyone care to explain what that means or how I do that? Thanks
734 2017-12-27T23:31:34  *** ryanofsky has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
735 2017-12-27T23:33:05  *** Deacyde has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
736 2017-12-27T23:37:38  <goatpig> zelest: pull the PR locally
737 2017-12-27T23:37:43  <goatpig> rebase your commits on top of it
738 2017-12-27T23:40:23  <zelest> Ah, and create a PR of that?
739 2017-12-27T23:40:36  <goatpig> im guessing you'd be submitting that way yes
740 2017-12-27T23:40:46  <zelest> Thanks
741 2017-12-27T23:42:05  *** mangoknight has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
742 2017-12-27T23:45:04  *** vasp has quit IRC
743 2017-12-27T23:48:22  *** vasp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
744 2017-12-27T23:50:44  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
745 2017-12-27T23:57:12  *** nejon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
746 2017-12-27T23:58:49  *** helpplx has quit IRC