1 2018-02-15T00:05:21  *** PaulCapestany has quit IRC
  2 2018-02-15T00:05:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2018-02-15T00:06:25  *** Samson42Stracke has quit IRC
  4 2018-02-15T00:06:39  *** rex_4539 has quit IRC
  5 2018-02-15T00:06:50  *** belcher has quit IRC
  6 2018-02-15T00:08:47  *** PaulCapestany has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2018-02-15T00:09:27  *** rex_4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2018-02-15T00:15:13  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2018-02-15T00:15:59  *** dcousens has quit IRC
 10 2018-02-15T00:16:24  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2018-02-15T00:20:52  *** jojeyh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2018-02-15T00:21:47  *** dcousens has quit IRC
 13 2018-02-15T00:23:00  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2018-02-15T00:30:50  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2018-02-15T00:34:08  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 16 2018-02-15T00:36:08  *** arubi has quit IRC
 17 2018-02-15T00:36:17  *** larafale has quit IRC
 18 2018-02-15T00:36:29  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2018-02-15T00:37:32  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2018-02-15T00:38:34  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2018-02-15T00:39:14  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2018-02-15T00:39:59  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2018-02-15T00:40:59  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2018-02-15T00:43:33  *** zveerz2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2018-02-15T00:45:56  *** zveerz has quit IRC
 26 2018-02-15T00:48:29  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2018-02-15T00:49:39  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2018-02-15T00:49:39  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2018-02-15T00:52:35  *** Sabryna63Spinka has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2018-02-15T00:52:39  *** zveerz2 has quit IRC
 31 2018-02-15T00:52:57  *** sengehest has quit IRC
 32 2018-02-15T00:58:01  *** dabura667 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2018-02-15T00:59:21  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2018-02-15T01:00:38  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2018-02-15T01:05:09  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] 251Labs opened pull request #12436: [rpc] Adds a functional test to validate the transaction version number in the RPC output (master...issue/11561/test-negative-transaction-version-numbers) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12436
 36 2018-02-15T01:05:18  *** sengehest has quit IRC
 37 2018-02-15T01:16:59  *** jamesob has quit IRC
 38 2018-02-15T01:21:40  *** rex_4539 has quit IRC
 39 2018-02-15T01:26:14  *** promag has quit IRC
 40 2018-02-15T01:34:33  *** ula has quit IRC
 41 2018-02-15T01:38:49  *** ula has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2018-02-15T01:44:31  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
 43 2018-02-15T01:47:44  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2018-02-15T01:48:35  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
 45 2018-02-15T01:49:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jeffrade opened pull request #12437: [Trivial] Simplify if-else blocks and more descriptive variable naming (master...test_runner_refactor) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12437
 46 2018-02-15T01:49:33  *** jarthur has quit IRC
 47 2018-02-15T01:58:17  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2018-02-15T02:03:14  *** sengehest has quit IRC
 49 2018-02-15T02:04:00  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2018-02-15T02:09:23  *** promag has quit IRC
 51 2018-02-15T02:09:46  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2018-02-15T02:10:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #12438: [Tests] Fix trivial typo in test_runner.py causing error (master...201802_fix_testrunner_typo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12438
 53 2018-02-15T02:19:43  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
 54 2018-02-15T02:28:32  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2018-02-15T02:35:52  *** promag has quit IRC
 56 2018-02-15T02:38:01  *** Murch has quit IRC
 57 2018-02-15T02:45:26  *** qrestlove has quit IRC
 58 2018-02-15T02:46:44  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 59 2018-02-15T02:49:24  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2018-02-15T02:53:35  *** sengehest has quit IRC
 61 2018-02-15T02:57:37  *** n1bor has quit IRC
 62 2018-02-15T02:58:42  *** qrestlove has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2018-02-15T03:04:23  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 64 2018-02-15T03:13:50  *** TheRec has quit IRC
 65 2018-02-15T03:13:53  *** n1bor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2018-02-15T03:17:23  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
 67 2018-02-15T03:25:05  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
 68 2018-02-15T03:28:52  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2018-02-15T03:29:27  <esotericnonsense> are the tx in getblocktemplate ordered according to the highest feerate of the packages?
 70 2018-02-15T03:30:12  <gmaxwell> packages are ordered by package feerate.
 71 2018-02-15T03:31:03  <gmaxwell> it causes a triangle wave shape in the transaction feerate in blocks.
 72 2018-02-15T03:32:05  <esotericnonsense> yeah. that's what I thought (just guessing based on eyeballing the pattern without looking at txids)
 73 2018-02-15T03:38:02  <gmaxwell> because coinbase txn size is not known when a block is being constructed we've generally tried to preserve the property that a truncation of a block is about as good of a solution as if you targeted a smaller block.
 74 2018-02-15T03:39:06  <gmaxwell> I think probably in the future we should give up on that property, and instead have mining protocols where the size of the coinbase txn will be known exactly.
 75 2018-02-15T03:40:41  <esotericnonsense> why is the coinbase size not known? can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make its' size vary
 76 2018-02-15T03:41:07  <esotericnonsense> aside from adding extra outputs etc, but then it's still known, you'd just need to tell gbt
 77 2018-02-15T03:41:15  <gmaxwell> coinbase transaction, none of it is known to gbt... how many outputs will it make? what scriptpubkey styles will they be?
 78 2018-02-15T03:41:32  <gmaxwell> how much extra-nonce space will you have?  none of that is provided to GBT.
 79 2018-02-15T03:42:13  <esotericnonsense> right yeah that makes sense. I misinterpreted what you were saying. coinbase size isn't known _by gbt_ but it can be known by the miner.
 80 2018-02-15T03:43:58  <grafcaps> gbt = get block template?
 81 2018-02-15T03:44:04  <esotericnonsense> is anyone out there charting gbt feerates live? would it be useful to anyone?
 82 2018-02-15T03:44:20  <esotericnonsense> (i've got a flask table thing working but making it into a chart probably wouldn't be much effort)
 83 2018-02-15T03:51:28  <gmaxwell> esotericnonsense: right, it's known by the miner.
 84 2018-02-15T03:51:41  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2018-02-15T03:51:47  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2018-02-15T03:51:53  <gmaxwell> it's just an interface design thing. in a lot of ways GBT reflects how eligius used to work.
 87 2018-02-15T03:52:11  <gmaxwell> coinbases were produced by their payout algorihim and changed very rapidly in realtime.
 88 2018-02-15T03:53:37  <gmaxwell> It _could_ have worked so that the size was known to GBT and just the specific outputs and amounts changed... but there wasn't any obvious gain in doing that back then... blocks were not full due to hardcoded underuse, fees were negligible.
 89 2018-02-15T03:55:57  *** sengehest has quit IRC
 90 2018-02-15T03:57:26  *** n1bor has quit IRC
 91 2018-02-15T03:58:13  *** n1bor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2018-02-15T04:13:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e782099a151a...b2089c51cc4a
 93 2018-02-15T04:13:03  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ada1af6 MeshCollider: Fix typo in test_runner.py causing error
 94 2018-02-15T04:13:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b2089c5 MarcoFalke: Merge #12438: [Tests] Fix trivial typo in test_runner.py causing error...
 95 2018-02-15T04:14:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #12438: [Tests] Fix trivial typo in test_runner.py causing error (master...201802_fix_testrunner_typo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12438
 96 2018-02-15T04:32:50  *** Arise2 has quit IRC
 97 2018-02-15T04:35:45  *** AriseChikun has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2018-02-15T04:36:42  <esotericnonsense> heh, watching this is crazy. i've never really looked before. there's a tx here with 2300 satoshi per byte ? wtf
 99 2018-02-15T04:37:12  *** n1bor has quit IRC
100 2018-02-15T04:37:31  *** n1bor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2018-02-15T04:37:54  <esotericnonsense> i suppose that's "only" $60 or so.
102 2018-02-15T04:46:35  *** zxzzt has quit IRC
103 2018-02-15T04:46:48  *** zxzzt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2018-02-15T04:51:21  *** harrymm_ has quit IRC
105 2018-02-15T04:55:40  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2018-02-15T05:00:17  *** sengehest has quit IRC
107 2018-02-15T05:04:22  *** harrymm_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2018-02-15T05:06:52  *** cryptojanitor has quit IRC
109 2018-02-15T05:17:53  <esotericnonsense> could be improved by log scale but whatever. https://esotericnonsense.com/dev/ url will probably change etc.
110 2018-02-15T05:43:26  *** rex_4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2018-02-15T05:44:28  <meshcollider> esotericnonsense: that looks cool
112 2018-02-15T05:44:45  *** AriseChikun has quit IRC
113 2018-02-15T05:49:35  *** rex_4539 has quit IRC
114 2018-02-15T05:59:22  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2018-02-15T06:01:12  *** AriseChikun has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2018-02-15T06:03:43  <booyah> fyi, enemies of bitcoin at r/btc claim also that "you" kept commiting changes to "trunk", prohibiting poor Gavin from getting his changes in (cos he needed to constantly rebase?). what the ;)
117 2018-02-15T06:16:10  *** sengehest has quit IRC
118 2018-02-15T06:17:31  <Randolf> Oh, isn't r/btc that Reddit community that Roger Ver runs from a distance?
119 2018-02-15T06:18:18  <booyah> Randolf: yes
120 2018-02-15T06:19:32  <Randolf> When it comes to "enemies of Bitcoin," it seems that the only name that ever comes up is Roger Ver.
121 2018-02-15T06:19:58  <booyah> Randolf: yes (also he is openly it's owner). That's why it's just FYI, no one pays attention to it. Just thought it's funny, idea of "buuu huuu evil developers keep develoing stuff and I need to rebase my PR". ( https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/7xjy03/did_you_know_that_before_the_scaling_debate_got/du9g889/ )
122 2018-02-15T06:22:03  <luke-jr> esotericnonsense: there is no guarantee on order of transactions in GBT, other than that they are valid
123 2018-02-15T06:26:12  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
124 2018-02-15T06:27:20  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2018-02-15T06:32:29  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
126 2018-02-15T06:33:19  <sipa> Randolf, booyah: please stick to technical topics here
127 2018-02-15T06:38:15  * Randolf nods agreeably
128 2018-02-15T06:50:04  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2018-02-15T06:54:27  *** larafale has quit IRC
130 2018-02-15T06:57:30  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2018-02-15T07:10:15  *** ula has quit IRC
132 2018-02-15T07:15:53  *** murrayn has quit IRC
133 2018-02-15T07:22:26  *** harding has quit IRC
134 2018-02-15T07:38:38  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
135 2018-02-15T07:53:32  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2018-02-15T07:59:41  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2018-02-15T08:01:32  *** JackH has quit IRC
138 2018-02-15T08:01:52  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2018-02-15T08:13:49  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2018-02-15T08:20:35  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2018-02-15T08:21:59  *** mmgen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2018-02-15T08:24:24  <wumpus> booyah: lol! people kept contributing to the project, so the poor guy couldn't get his changes in :(
143 2018-02-15T08:27:36  <wumpus> booyah: one thing seems to be consistent, they never really get open source development
144 2018-02-15T08:28:15  *** timothy has quit IRC
145 2018-02-15T08:29:12  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2018-02-15T08:35:38  <wumpus> or what Gavin's task was in the first place. for that matter
147 2018-02-15T08:35:39  *** drizztbsd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-02-15T08:36:34  *** timothy has quit IRC
149 2018-02-15T08:39:27  *** Styil has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2018-02-15T08:51:27  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2018-02-15T08:55:57  *** larafale has quit IRC
152 2018-02-15T09:02:18  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2018-02-15T09:16:38  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2018-02-15T09:18:52  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
155 2018-02-15T09:25:16  *** go1111111 has quit IRC
156 2018-02-15T09:26:31  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2018-02-15T09:29:35  <wumpus> cfields: our level of misunderanding of boost::interprocess::file_lock is phenomenal, can't we just delete that function :/
158 2018-02-15T09:30:35  <wumpus> cfields: I think I'll just revert #12422 to the OpenBSD compile fix that it was, for 0.16, and leave the rest for master/0.17
159 2018-02-15T09:30:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12422 | util: Make LockDirectory thread-safe, consistent, and fix OpenBSD 6.2 build by laanwj · Pull Request #12422 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
160 2018-02-15T09:33:50  <wumpus> cfields: the 'other process' test likely should have another case, that after process A giving up the locks (e.g. if it was only probing), B should succeed in getting it
161 2018-02-15T09:34:58  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2018-02-15T09:37:13  *** murrayn has quit IRC
163 2018-02-15T09:37:39  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2018-02-15T09:37:39  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2018-02-15T09:51:31  *** murrayn has quit IRC
166 2018-02-15T09:51:55  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2018-02-15T09:52:21  *** larafale has quit IRC
168 2018-02-15T09:52:58  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2018-02-15T09:53:52  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2018-02-15T09:54:30  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2018-02-15T09:55:18  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2018-02-15T09:56:16  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2018-02-15T09:56:16  *** murrayn has quit IRC
174 2018-02-15T09:56:18  *** larafale has quit IRC
175 2018-02-15T09:56:54  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2018-02-15T10:02:41  *** murrayn has quit IRC
177 2018-02-15T10:03:26  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2018-02-15T10:03:26  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2018-02-15T10:09:16  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2018-02-15T10:11:25  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2018-02-15T10:14:41  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
182 2018-02-15T10:17:39  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
183 2018-02-15T10:17:52  *** Styil has quit IRC
184 2018-02-15T10:18:01  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2018-02-15T10:21:50  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2018-02-15T10:21:55  *** ossifrage_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2018-02-15T10:22:26  <fanquake> wumpus I have a fix for the miniupnpc compile issue, will push up shortly
188 2018-02-15T10:22:34  <wumpus> fanquake: great!
189 2018-02-15T10:24:19  *** ossifrage has quit IRC
190 2018-02-15T10:30:02  *** dafuq_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2018-02-15T10:31:41  *** murrayn has quit IRC
192 2018-02-15T10:32:31  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
193 2018-02-15T10:32:44  *** ken2812221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2018-02-15T10:34:19  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
195 2018-02-15T10:35:48  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2018-02-15T10:38:26  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
197 2018-02-15T10:45:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2018-02-15T10:46:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2018-02-15T10:49:24  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2018-02-15T10:50:28  *** promag has quit IRC
201 2018-02-15T10:54:07  *** promag_ has quit IRC
202 2018-02-15T10:59:23  *** Scrat has quit IRC
203 2018-02-15T10:59:52  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2018-02-15T11:01:33  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2018-02-15T11:19:09  *** dabura667 has quit IRC
206 2018-02-15T11:20:25  *** promag has quit IRC
207 2018-02-15T11:26:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2018-02-15T11:31:22  <fanquake> wumpus 12417 Should be able to go in now
209 2018-02-15T11:39:51  <provoostenator> Rebasing is a pain, but my impression so far is that most of the time the stuff that's ready first goes in first.
210 2018-02-15T11:42:12  <fanquake> provoostenator Are you just talking generally, or in regards to specific PR?
211 2018-02-15T11:42:34  <provoostenator> I mean in general.
212 2018-02-15T11:43:24  <meshcollider> yeah PRs which need rebasing or are failing travis tests tend to get fewer reviews than those which are ready from what I've seen
213 2018-02-15T11:44:14  <provoostenator> That was ambiguous. Rebasing is a pain for some types of PR's and if Travis is having a bad day, but often a simple chore. In general when a PR has had enough review and feedback is addressed quickly enough, it goes in quickly, and then other PR's need to rebase.
214 2018-02-15T11:44:49  <meshcollider> Oh I see what you meant
215 2018-02-15T11:48:36  <provoostenator> 4 open PR's on 0.16.0. I'll try to test #12427
216 2018-02-15T11:48:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12427 | Make signrawtransaction accept P2SH-P2WSH redeemscripts by sipa · Pull Request #12427 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
217 2018-02-15T11:50:21  *** dafuq_ has quit IRC
218 2018-02-15T11:50:59  *** promag has quit IRC
219 2018-02-15T11:51:18  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2018-02-15T11:51:18  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2018-02-15T11:56:02  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
222 2018-02-15T11:58:34  *** fanquake has quit IRC
223 2018-02-15T12:05:19  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2018-02-15T12:09:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b2089c51cc4a...ae0fbf09817f
225 2018-02-15T12:09:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master deee216 Douglas Roark: Delete mac_alias patch...
226 2018-02-15T12:09:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fc1bfcf Douglas Roark: Update mac_alias to 2.0.7
227 2018-02-15T12:09:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ae0fbf0 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12417: Upgrade mac_alias to 2.0.7...
228 2018-02-15T12:09:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12417: Upgrade mac_alias to 2.0.7 (master...master_del_mac_alias) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12417
229 2018-02-15T12:12:42  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
230 2018-02-15T12:16:48  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2018-02-15T12:21:01  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2018-02-15T12:26:18  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
233 2018-02-15T12:27:06  *** cryptojanitor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2018-02-15T12:28:20  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2018-02-15T12:29:59  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2018-02-15T12:35:45  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
237 2018-02-15T12:36:18  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2018-02-15T12:43:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
239 2018-02-15T12:45:05  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
240 2018-02-15T12:46:51  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2018-02-15T12:48:27  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2018-02-15T12:51:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
243 2018-02-15T12:54:59  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
244 2018-02-15T12:55:35  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2018-02-15T13:08:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
246 2018-02-15T13:09:16  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
247 2018-02-15T13:18:55  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2018-02-15T13:26:27  <wumpus> cfields: so I think you're right on the longer run - then we likely want the wallets (and init, for the main data dir) themselves to carry a RAII lock on the data directory instead of the funky map
249 2018-02-15T13:34:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ae0fbf09817f...737ed8bb77d1
250 2018-02-15T13:34:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2e9406c João Barbosa: Interrupt loading thread after shutdown request
251 2018-02-15T13:34:13  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 737ed8b Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12415: Interrupt loading thread after shutdown request...
252 2018-02-15T13:34:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12415: Interrupt loading thread after shutdown request (master...2018-02-shutdown) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12415
253 2018-02-15T13:37:22  *** Sinclair_ has quit IRC
254 2018-02-15T13:37:52  *** Sinclair6 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2018-02-15T13:41:54  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
256 2018-02-15T13:43:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/f8938248ef37f67986e36ef897a548123b2d7a36
257 2018-02-15T13:43:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 f893824 João Barbosa: Interrupt loading thread after shutdown request...
258 2018-02-15T13:43:19  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2018-02-15T13:46:31  <wumpus> re: #12349, can we be sure this issue is really solved after that?
260 2018-02-15T13:46:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
261 2018-02-15T13:46:44  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
262 2018-02-15T13:48:22  <wumpus> if not, I think we should think about it somewhat longer how to effectively fix it, and remove the 0.16.0 tag, we shouldn't merge fix after fix to different parts of the code without a clear idea if it's really fixed
263 2018-02-15T13:55:52  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
264 2018-02-15T13:59:43  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2018-02-15T14:00:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2018-02-15T14:00:53  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2018-02-15T14:04:35  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
268 2018-02-15T14:04:51  <wumpus> let's discuss it at the meeting
269 2018-02-15T14:22:35  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
270 2018-02-15T14:22:47  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2018-02-15T14:31:36  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2018-02-15T14:32:08  <promag> wumpus: will look #12349
273 2018-02-15T14:32:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
274 2018-02-15T14:35:45  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
275 2018-02-15T14:36:11  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2018-02-15T14:36:44  <promag> what is the idea to fix "ERROR: src/crypto/ctaes is not a subtree"? full clone?
277 2018-02-15T14:37:18  <wumpus> promag: I really hate that solution, but yes, that'd solve it
278 2018-02-15T14:37:32  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2018-02-15T14:37:46  <promag> is there an alternative?
280 2018-02-15T14:39:12  <promag> git fetch commit_id && git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD ?
281 2018-02-15T14:39:38  <wumpus> see #12388
282 2018-02-15T14:39:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12388 | travis failure on rc3: "src/crypto/ctaes is not a subtree" · Issue #12388 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
283 2018-02-15T14:45:31  <wumpus> I think the scalable solution would be to skip the subtree check when the subtree is buried deeper than the shallow checkout
284 2018-02-15T14:46:09  <wumpus> after all, the check is there to catch PRs that make changes to subtrees in the wrong way
285 2018-02-15T14:46:39  <wumpus> if a change is buried below many other PRs then we can already be sure there's nothing to check
286 2018-02-15T14:46:50  <wumpus> otherwise they wouldn'th ave been merged...
287 2018-02-15T14:50:26  *** jojeyh has quit IRC
288 2018-02-15T15:01:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/e2431d144aa84909b106a767634126ad5821dc90
289 2018-02-15T15:01:06  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 e2431d1 MarcoFalke: travis: Full clone for git subtree check...
290 2018-02-15T15:02:03  <wumpus> but I'll cherry pick that for now to the 0.16 branch
291 2018-02-15T15:04:12  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
292 2018-02-15T15:05:52  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2018-02-15T15:06:37  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
294 2018-02-15T15:07:48  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2018-02-15T15:11:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/737ed8bb77d1...bfa39114e2cf
296 2018-02-15T15:11:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa27623 MarcoFalke: qt: Initialize members in WalletModel
297 2018-02-15T15:11:03  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bfa3911 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12426: qt: Initialize members in WalletModel...
298 2018-02-15T15:11:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12426: qt: Initialize members in WalletModel (master...Mf1802-qtInitializeMembersWalletModel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12426
299 2018-02-15T15:17:34  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
300 2018-02-15T15:19:14  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2018-02-15T15:26:57  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
302 2018-02-15T15:27:45  *** miya has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2018-02-15T15:28:34  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2018-02-15T15:31:05  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2018-02-15T15:32:17  *** Sabryna63Spinka has quit IRC
306 2018-02-15T15:35:35  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
307 2018-02-15T15:36:09  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bfa39114e2cf...fd65937ec601
308 2018-02-15T15:36:10  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c04e0f6 Ben Woosley: Fix 'mempool min fee not met' debug output...
309 2018-02-15T15:36:10  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8b8a1c4 Ben Woosley: Add test for 'mempool min fee not met' rpc error
310 2018-02-15T15:36:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bb00c95 Ben Woosley: Consistently use FormatStateMessage in RPC error output...
311 2018-02-15T15:36:54  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
312 2018-02-15T15:36:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12356: Fix 'mempool min fee not met' debug output (master...minfee-message) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12356
313 2018-02-15T15:37:35  *** jamesob has quit IRC
314 2018-02-15T15:41:48  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
315 2018-02-15T15:43:11  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2018-02-15T15:43:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/5e40e64face29169ef355856dc0db46a98061046
317 2018-02-15T15:43:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 5e40e64 Wladimir J. van der Laan: travis: Don't fetch --unshallow when no longer shallow-cloning...
318 2018-02-15T15:44:52  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2018-02-15T15:47:20  *** promag has quit IRC
320 2018-02-15T15:47:28  *** dcousens has quit IRC
321 2018-02-15T15:47:40  *** dcousens has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2018-02-15T15:52:34  *** Marlin19Padberg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2018-02-15T15:59:32  *** jeanjean has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2018-02-15T15:59:45  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
325 2018-02-15T16:00:00  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2018-02-15T16:00:56  *** jeanjean has quit IRC
327 2018-02-15T16:06:36  <provoostenator> Just got another whitespace error back from Travis. Anyone have a chance to bless or find problems with #12098 and #12097 so I can trivially prevent that on MacOS?
328 2018-02-15T16:06:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12098 | [scripts] lint-whitespace: add param to check last N commits by Sjors · Pull Request #12098 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
329 2018-02-15T16:06:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12097 | [scripts] lint-whitespace: use perl instead of grep -P by Sjors · Pull Request #12097 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
330 2018-02-15T16:07:46  <ProfMac> I think the code lets us generate a block with any prev-block-hash.  That is, generate a fork at any block.  In practice, this seems to occur only at the best tip when two block arrive nearby in time.  Is it improper to think more restrictive thoughts that a new block can only point back to a tip?
331 2018-02-15T16:08:28  <sipa> "the code" ?
332 2018-02-15T16:08:49  <ProfMac> reference client, satoshi client ...
333 2018-02-15T16:08:57  <sipa> in what context?
334 2018-02-15T16:09:07  <sipa> there are many tests that mine forks
335 2018-02-15T16:09:39  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has quit IRC
336 2018-02-15T16:09:50  <ProfMac> Do those tests only grow existing forks, or do they create new forks somewhere on the backbone?
337 2018-02-15T16:10:05  <sipa> backbone?
338 2018-02-15T16:10:21  <ProfMac> Yeah, backbone.  "best chain"
339 2018-02-15T16:11:13  <sipa> oh
340 2018-02-15T16:11:17  <sipa> arbitrary
341 2018-02-15T16:11:32  <sipa> look at p2p-fullnode.py
342 2018-02-15T16:12:04  <ProfMac> I haven't looked into the test software source yet.  Thanks, I'll read that.
343 2018-02-15T16:13:19  <sipa> but i don't understand your question at all
344 2018-02-15T16:14:04  <sipa> forks happen all the time in the network
345 2018-02-15T16:14:13  <sipa> and we need to deal with them
346 2018-02-15T16:15:04  <sipa> even if only software existed that extended the tip, this would still be the case, simply due to the finite speed of communication
347 2018-02-15T16:15:27  <sipa> (you may not have heard about the latest block someone created)
348 2018-02-15T16:15:45  <ProfMac> Yes.  And yes.  I just wondered, in practice, do blocks show up that fork back 6 or 8 blocks from the best top.
349 2018-02-15T16:15:56  <ProfMac> *tip
350 2018-02-15T16:16:43  <sipa> yes
351 2018-02-15T16:16:49  <ProfMac> meaning, create a new fork 6 or 8 blocks back.  Not create a fork that ages to become that far back.
352 2018-02-15T16:16:59  <sipa> very rarely though
353 2018-02-15T16:17:17  <ProfMac> Yes, well, they would seem to be a bit pointless.
354 2018-02-15T16:17:40  <sipa> let's move this to #bitcoin
355 2018-02-15T16:17:48  <ProfMac> ok.
356 2018-02-15T16:17:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2018-02-15T16:20:18  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
358 2018-02-15T16:22:29  <promag> jonasschnelli: friendly ping #11882
359 2018-02-15T16:22:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11882 | Disable default fallbackfee on mainnet by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #11882 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
360 2018-02-15T16:30:10  *** Marlin19Padberg has quit IRC
361 2018-02-15T16:32:33  *** jamesob has quit IRC
362 2018-02-15T16:36:53  *** cryptojanitor has quit IRC
363 2018-02-15T16:37:27  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2018-02-15T16:39:39  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
365 2018-02-15T16:44:29  *** miya has quit IRC
366 2018-02-15T16:47:35  *** Randolf has quit IRC
367 2018-02-15T16:47:48  *** jeanjean has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
368 2018-02-15T16:47:59  *** JackH has quit IRC
369 2018-02-15T16:48:08  *** NielsvG has quit IRC
370 2018-02-15T16:48:36  *** jeanjean has quit IRC
371 2018-02-15T16:49:47  *** NielsvG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
372 2018-02-15T16:49:49  *** NielsvG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
373 2018-02-15T16:50:31  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
374 2018-02-15T16:52:34  *** Darion86Sauer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2018-02-15T16:53:28  *** Scrat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
376 2018-02-15T16:59:38  <promag> cfields: ignore my comment
377 2018-02-15T16:59:54  *** promag has quit IRC
378 2018-02-15T17:08:11  *** cryptojanitor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
379 2018-02-15T17:17:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/fd65937ec601...d09968f4d006
380 2018-02-15T17:17:41  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 65682da Sjors Provoost: [tests] bind functional test nodes to 127.0.0.1
381 2018-02-15T17:17:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d09968f Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12200: Bind functional test nodes to 127.0.0.1...
382 2018-02-15T17:18:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12200: Bind functional test nodes to 127.0.0.1 (master...test-framework-bind) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12200
383 2018-02-15T17:25:13  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
384 2018-02-15T17:37:31  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
385 2018-02-15T17:41:21  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
386 2018-02-15T17:42:37  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
387 2018-02-15T17:43:18  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
388 2018-02-15T17:47:05  *** jamesob has quit IRC
389 2018-02-15T17:54:39  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
390 2018-02-15T17:55:54  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2018-02-15T17:59:18  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
392 2018-02-15T18:07:27  *** anome has quit IRC
393 2018-02-15T18:08:38  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
394 2018-02-15T18:09:04  *** d3vt4r has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
395 2018-02-15T18:21:51  *** anome has quit IRC
396 2018-02-15T18:21:54  *** d3vt4r has quit IRC
397 2018-02-15T18:23:41  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
398 2018-02-15T18:26:24  <cfields> wumpus: here now. my sleep schedule is all out of whack :\
399 2018-02-15T18:26:43  <sipa> morning!
400 2018-02-15T18:26:52  <cfields> heh
401 2018-02-15T18:27:07  <cfields> wumpus: yes, every time I think I understand it, something new pops up and totally confuses me again. Sorry for dragging you down with me :)
402 2018-02-15T18:29:44  <cfields> wumpus: glad to see that we agree about longer-term. I was also thinking that we should move the wallet locks out of the map and into wallet as a follow-up.
403 2018-02-15T18:29:48  *** Darion86Sauer has quit IRC
404 2018-02-15T18:29:56  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
405 2018-02-15T18:30:48  *** promag has quit IRC
406 2018-02-15T18:31:11  <cfields> wumpus: re #12349, I'll test with current master now
407 2018-02-15T18:31:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
408 2018-02-15T18:31:47  <wumpus> cfields: I feel the same about programming, and c++ in particular, there's always some new and unexpected situation that comes up
409 2018-02-15T18:32:05  <wumpus> I also have the feeling boost doesn't help here :-)
410 2018-02-15T18:32:22  <cfields> heh
411 2018-02-15T18:33:42  <wumpus> might make sense to implement this using the posix and win32 API at some point so that we actually know for sure what it's doing
412 2018-02-15T18:34:37  *** drizztbsd has quit IRC
413 2018-02-15T18:34:55  <wumpus> for now, having a test helps
414 2018-02-15T18:42:43  * wumpus wonders what the windows equivalent of socketpair+fork is, e.g. create a process (doesn't have to copy the current one's state) with bidirectional pipe attached
415 2018-02-15T18:46:38  <cfields> no clue. I assume something 100% winapi with no resemblence to posix :(
416 2018-02-15T18:48:23  <wumpus> oh cool, we can do 90's style winapi with WM_* messages
417 2018-02-15T18:49:54  <cfields> heh. Probably something like LockFile2Ex3Real()
418 2018-02-15T18:50:15  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
419 2018-02-15T18:50:22  <cfields> Where obviously LockFileEx might still work, but only up to Win3.1.
420 2018-02-15T18:51:01  <cfields> it was dark days, dealing with that crap :)
421 2018-02-15T18:52:51  <wumpus> yes :-)
422 2018-02-15T19:00:32  <achow101> Meeting?
423 2018-02-15T19:00:39  <Murch> aye
424 2018-02-15T19:01:13  <wumpus> #startmeeting
425 2018-02-15T19:01:13  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Feb 15 19:01:13 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
426 2018-02-15T19:01:13  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
427 2018-02-15T19:01:34  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
428 2018-02-15T19:02:03  <cfields> hi
429 2018-02-15T19:02:18  <wumpus> we're almost ready to tag rc4, the still open PRs could still use some review https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.16.0
430 2018-02-15T19:02:28  *** udiWertheimer_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
431 2018-02-15T19:02:32  <promag> hi
432 2018-02-15T19:02:32  *** zivl has quit IRC
433 2018-02-15T19:02:39  <kanzure> hi.
434 2018-02-15T19:02:53  *** zivl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
435 2018-02-15T19:03:20  <luke-jr> hi
436 2018-02-15T19:03:45  <cfields> I'm not sure if I'm happy to see people testing the RCs, or scared of how many things keep cropping up :\
437 2018-02-15T19:03:55  <BlueMatt> heh
438 2018-02-15T19:04:00  *** udiWertheimer_ has quit IRC
439 2018-02-15T19:04:01  <BlueMatt> yea
440 2018-02-15T19:04:05  <wumpus> I'd like to discuss #12349
441 2018-02-15T19:04:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
442 2018-02-15T19:04:08  *** udiWertheimer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
443 2018-02-15T19:04:20  <BlueMatt> i hate that fix, but it should be sufficient :(
444 2018-02-15T19:04:37  <wumpus> #topic reindex-chainstate crash
445 2018-02-15T19:04:44  <sipa> present
446 2018-02-15T19:04:57  <wumpus> so we committed a fix for that in an earlier rc, but apparently the issue still exists
447 2018-02-15T19:05:17  <BlueMatt> yes, the fix was for a highly-related bug
448 2018-02-15T19:05:52  <BlueMatt> well, ok, essentially, either the same crash triggered by doing reindex, or the crash triggered by simply quickly quitting
449 2018-02-15T19:06:01  <BlueMatt> so its already fixed for fast-quit
450 2018-02-15T19:06:06  <wumpus> is it clear what the issue is in the first place? it seems it's causing workarounds to be spread over the code to 'fix' it
451 2018-02-15T19:06:16  <wumpus> I'm not really happy to see that
452 2018-02-15T19:06:33  <BlueMatt> yes, the issue is that we call Flush during shutdown before we've loaded genesis block
453 2018-02-15T19:06:36  <cfields> wumpus: I just commented on the PR, I'll re-paste here for a little context:
454 2018-02-15T19:06:42  <cfields> "As a small data point, though, we believed this to be qt only and couldn't hit it with rc3. It was @eklitzke's bitcoind backtrace that made it easy to reproduce."
455 2018-02-15T19:06:51  <BlueMatt> so the flush assert(false)s because we have no "tip block" which we are flushing towards
456 2018-02-15T19:07:03  <BlueMatt> huh? no?
457 2018-02-15T19:07:14  <BlueMatt> I did not believe it to only be bitcoin-qt?
458 2018-02-15T19:07:19  <BlueMatt> not sure where you got that
459 2018-02-15T19:07:28  <wumpus> oh, and the flush assumes that the genesis block is there?
460 2018-02-15T19:08:00  <BlueMatt> the flush assumes there is a tip block, including gensis
461 2018-02-15T19:08:09  <promag> bitcoind crashed too
462 2018-02-15T19:08:25  <MarcoFalke> ^
463 2018-02-15T19:08:35  <cfields> BlueMatt: huh, I was definitely working under that impression
464 2018-02-15T19:08:46  <BlueMatt> there are several largely-unrelated bugs in qt
465 2018-02-15T19:08:56  <BlueMatt> and there were other init-fast-shutdown-crash bugs in bitcoind
466 2018-02-15T19:09:02  <cfields> not anymore ofc, now that we can hit it with bitcoind.
467 2018-02-15T19:09:06  <BlueMatt> that trying to reproduce this and other issues dug up
468 2018-02-15T19:09:22  <cfields> right, ok
469 2018-02-15T19:09:58  <wumpus> there's no automatic test coverage for these paths, so problems are only found incidentally
470 2018-02-15T19:10:17  <BlueMatt> yes, one thing I did during testing was just make ShutdownRequested() start shutdown after being called N times
471 2018-02-15T19:10:21  <BlueMatt> and just restart with an incrementing N
472 2018-02-15T19:10:31  <BlueMatt> this is something we could automate, but would largely not have caught the qt issues
473 2018-02-15T19:10:42  <wumpus> nice idea
474 2018-02-15T19:10:55  <wumpus> no, testing qt is a whole different can of worms
475 2018-02-15T19:11:19  <promag> true
476 2018-02-15T19:11:55  <wumpus> we solved some long-running bugs there recently :)
477 2018-02-15T19:12:07  <promag> but do we care to flush if shutdown is requested?
478 2018-02-15T19:12:11  <cfields> BlueMatt: I like that too. We'd just want to remember to grind hard on the tests before release
479 2018-02-15T19:12:18  <promag> (on init)
480 2018-02-15T19:12:19  <BlueMatt> to make it actually have good coverage we need to drop all direct accesses to fShutdownRequested and replace with ShutdownRequested()
481 2018-02-15T19:12:25  <BlueMatt> which is why I missed the current incantation of the bug
482 2018-02-15T19:12:34  <BlueMatt> cfields: its super fast, you could run it in travis
483 2018-02-15T19:12:41  <MarcoFalke> I can do that
484 2018-02-15T19:13:23  <wumpus>  drop all direct accesses to fShutdownRequested and replace with ShutdownRequested() -> that sounds like a good idea for encapsulation in any case
485 2018-02-15T19:13:29  <BlueMatt> yes
486 2018-02-15T19:13:47  <cfields> can optimize the atomic too :p
487 2018-02-15T19:14:01  <promag> what does that solve?
488 2018-02-15T19:14:09  <BlueMatt> anyway, as for the current bug, I think #12349 is likely fine for 0.16, though I'd prefer it skips more of the FlushStateToDisk codepaths in the case that we've clearly never written anything we need to flush (morcos just pointed out it'd be nice to skip the wallet best chain setting, though unlikely thats a bug)
489 2018-02-15T19:14:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
490 2018-02-15T19:14:23  <promag> maybe we should replace atomic var with a mutex? so that some blocks can hold the mutex and prevent others to continue?
491 2018-02-15T19:14:52  * BlueMatt has non-x86 hardware coming soon (I think there will likely be a dev box or two available for people who want to test/work on core on powerpc at that time as well), it'd be great to see more atomic relaxations =D
492 2018-02-15T19:15:13  <BlueMatt> promag: wat, why would you do that?
493 2018-02-15T19:15:23  <wumpus> looks like problem that has spooked us for a long time, that much of the code cannot cope without genesis block set
494 2018-02-15T19:15:23  <cfields> promag: that's a different long discussion :). It was really just a joke in this context
495 2018-02-15T19:15:52  <wumpus> it should only be a problem in shutdown() because we don't exit AppInit() succesfully in that ase
496 2018-02-15T19:16:03  <wumpus> AppInitMain()
497 2018-02-15T19:16:10  <BlueMatt> wumpus: yes, one other thing to be done is to move fucking ThreadImport up inside init, but  regular old reindex is hard to work with to fix this issue
498 2018-02-15T19:16:22  <BlueMatt> unless you want to re-introduce the bug where we write a copy of genesis every time we load.......
499 2018-02-15T19:16:26  <wumpus> but other sneaky things come up all the time
500 2018-02-15T19:16:40  <promag> BlueMatt: because once you request the shutdown other threads can start the tear down, which can mess other stuff
501 2018-02-15T19:16:57  <BlueMatt> promag: shutdown can happen at any point, you shouldnt be able to block shutdown by taking a lock.....
502 2018-02-15T19:17:01  <wumpus> BlueMatt: let's at least have a test for that, that if someone regresses that we'd at least detect it
503 2018-02-15T19:17:05  <BlueMatt> subsystem separation should work.......
504 2018-02-15T19:17:34  <BlueMatt> wumpus: yes, agreed....didnt MarcoFalke just say he'd build it? =D
505 2018-02-15T19:17:36  <cfields> BlueMatt: yea, my earlier iterations skipped more of FlushStateToDisk, but I figured it was best to not tangle that logic up with init's
506 2018-02-15T19:17:41  <wumpus> promag: we don't really have that issue afaik
507 2018-02-15T19:18:14  <wumpus> but ok, then we keep #12349 for 0.16
508 2018-02-15T19:18:15  <BlueMatt> cfields: hmm, ugh
509 2018-02-15T19:18:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12349 | shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate by theuni · Pull Request #12349 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
510 2018-02-15T19:18:31  <BlueMatt> cfields: cant we literally skip the entire function in that case?
511 2018-02-15T19:18:36  <BlueMatt> we clear the dbs on load themselves
512 2018-02-15T19:18:40  <wumpus> please pray let it be fixed now
513 2018-02-15T19:18:43  <BlueMatt> so its not like we have anything at all whatsoever to flush
514 2018-02-15T19:18:46  <wumpus> :P
515 2018-02-15T19:18:50  <BlueMatt> lol
516 2018-02-15T19:19:04  *** opdenkamp has quit IRC
517 2018-02-15T19:19:06  <cfields> BlueMatt: yes, but that involves locking changes
518 2018-02-15T19:19:14  <cfields> (possibly only one teeny tiny one)
519 2018-02-15T19:19:20  <wumpus> noooooo
520 2018-02-15T19:19:37  <BlueMatt> ugh, I still want to go back to my CChainState::fWeveDoneAnythingAtAll idea
521 2018-02-15T19:19:39  <wumpus> we saw what happened last time we tried "locking changes" :-)
522 2018-02-15T19:19:39  <cfields> right, hence _this_ approach :)
523 2018-02-15T19:19:42  <BlueMatt> and just insert that and skip flush if its false
524 2018-02-15T19:19:50  <promag> next topic suggestion #11913
525 2018-02-15T19:19:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11913 | Avoid cs_main during ReadBlockFromDisk Calls by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11913 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
526 2018-02-15T19:19:57  <BlueMatt> wumpus: yea, we ended up with a super-long 0.16 release process.....sorry :(
527 2018-02-15T19:20:01  <cfields> BlueMatt: +1 for master. Completely agree.
528 2018-02-15T19:20:19  <wumpus> BlueMatt: it's not your fault, the code is just completely crazy in that regard
529 2018-02-15T19:20:34  <BlueMatt> wumpus: no, I meant the validationinterface queue garbage, that had a few last-minute bugs as well
530 2018-02-15T19:21:08  <wumpus> promag: sure
531 2018-02-15T19:21:15  <wumpus> #topic Avoid cs_main during ReadBlockFromDisk Calls
532 2018-02-15T19:21:30  <BlueMatt> what about it?
533 2018-02-15T19:21:49  <wumpus> yes, what about it
534 2018-02-15T19:21:51  <BlueMatt> I mean needs a ton of rebase due to merging of a dep, but I can do that whenever folks are ready to review
535 2018-02-15T19:22:09  <wumpus> it's obviously a concept ack
536 2018-02-15T19:22:13  <promag> is this going forward?
537 2018-02-15T19:22:24  <promag> I mean, it's in priority review
538 2018-02-15T19:22:27  <BlueMatt> I dont see why not, I mean my name's on the tin, but...
539 2018-02-15T19:22:54  <wumpus> it's not going backward at least!
540 2018-02-15T19:22:57  <BlueMatt> oh, you're saying I should rebase
541 2018-02-15T19:22:58  <BlueMatt> yea, k
542 2018-02-15T19:23:06  <BlueMatt> I mean IIRC it shoudl be reviewable if you just ignore the first few commits
543 2018-02-15T19:23:10  <BlueMatt> which are since merged
544 2018-02-15T19:23:11  <BlueMatt> but whatever
545 2018-02-15T19:23:23  <promag> like that, there are others that avoid cs_main
546 2018-02-15T19:23:24  <BlueMatt> it appears I have two things in high-priority though, which is not ok
547 2018-02-15T19:23:25  <wumpus> if some commits are merged you can say it has been going forward
548 2018-02-15T19:23:48  <BlueMatt> anyway, next topic?
549 2018-02-15T19:23:57  <wumpus> any other topics?
550 2018-02-15T19:24:15  <BlueMatt> Bitcoin!
551 2018-02-15T19:24:19  <sipa> Bitcoin!
552 2018-02-15T19:24:19  <achow101> encrypting wallets without restarting
553 2018-02-15T19:24:39  <wumpus> what about it?
554 2018-02-15T19:25:00  <cfields> wumpus: It's this new cryptocurrency...
555 2018-02-15T19:25:07  <sipa> LOL
556 2018-02-15T19:25:07  <wumpus> aren't bitcoins those big, golden coins with 1's and 0's on them?
557 2018-02-15T19:25:25  <wumpus> I think they're too heavy to ever be practical
558 2018-02-15T19:25:42  <cfields> haha
559 2018-02-15T19:25:44  <wumpus> #topic encrypting wallets without restarting (achow101)
560 2018-02-15T19:25:57  <achow101> relevant PR is #11678
561 2018-02-15T19:26:00  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11678 | [wallet] Dont shut down after encrypting the wallet by achow101 · Pull Request #11678 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
562 2018-02-15T19:26:04  <BlueMatt> yea, you have to carry around a computer to spend them....arent those those things that take up like a whole basement and you have to hire a few people to maintain it?
563 2018-02-15T19:26:46  <achow101> there's a really really really ugly hack in that pr to make it work from the rpcconsole
564 2018-02-15T19:27:21  <achow101> but I'm kinda stuck on a better way to let people encrypt from the rpcconsole and not have the gui get all screwed up
565 2018-02-15T19:28:19  <promag> achow101: with dynamic wallet loading this should be easier?
566 2018-02-15T19:28:23  <wumpus> BlueMatt: a computer?! oh no, I heard there wil never be demand for more than 10 of them in the whole world
567 2018-02-15T19:28:27  <achow101> promag: I don't think so
568 2018-02-15T19:28:28  <kanzure> what is the problem with a restart?
569 2018-02-15T19:28:54  <achow101> I noted in the dynamic reloading pr that it actually has a similar problem if you try to reload the wallet that is currently used by the gui
570 2018-02-15T19:28:56  <wumpus> kanzure: for multiwallet it can be kind of annoying, I guess
571 2018-02-15T19:29:13  <wumpus> kanzure: if you want to encrypt 10 wallets and need to restart 10 times
572 2018-02-15T19:29:22  <BlueMatt> I mean, yea, question is how it gets handled in dynamic multiwallet gui, handle it the same way........
573 2018-02-15T19:29:38  <BlueMatt> all that code is gonna have to get written one way or another
574 2018-02-15T19:29:48  <BlueMatt> de-init'ing the whole gui wallet stuff and re-init'ing it is gonna have to exist
575 2018-02-15T19:29:52  <achow101> BlueMatt: the thing is, dynamic multiwallet doesn't handle it at all
576 2018-02-15T19:29:55  <BlueMatt> not that I have any opinion on *how*
577 2018-02-15T19:30:04  <cfields> maybe an unpopular opinion, but forcing the inconvenience of a shutdown for this doesn't seem terrible to me...
578 2018-02-15T19:30:08  <BlueMatt> achow101: well that just sounds downright broken
579 2018-02-15T19:30:11  <kanzure> wumpus: perhaps just do it all at once and do only one restart.
580 2018-02-15T19:30:20  <BlueMatt> cfields: see wumpus note on encrypting multiple wallets
581 2018-02-15T19:30:21  <wumpus> cfields: I don't think it's particularly urgent either, no
582 2018-02-15T19:30:36  <cfields> in fact, seems like it should really be handled by a tool outside of bitcoind
583 2018-02-15T19:30:39  <wumpus> but I never encrypt wallets so don't listen to me
584 2018-02-15T19:30:52  <BlueMatt> sounds good, lets remove encrypted wallet support!
585 2018-02-15T19:31:02  *** Sinclair6 has quit IRC
586 2018-02-15T19:31:13  <promag> achow101: it needs fixing then, between dyn wallet, your pr and #11383
587 2018-02-15T19:31:15  <wumpus> (well obviously I encrypt backups, but I don't use bitcoin's encrypted wallet stuff)
588 2018-02-15T19:31:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11383 | Basic Multiwallet GUI support by luke-jr · Pull Request #11383 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
589 2018-02-15T19:31:23  <sipa> cfields: i think that we're struggling to do so is probably a sign of some problems internally, regardless of whether it's a desired feature or not
590 2018-02-15T19:31:31  <achow101> My plan for doing wallet encryption by default needed to do something like this, so I went and did it as a separate thing
591 2018-02-15T19:31:47  <wumpus> but yes, once we have dynamic wallet unloading and loading, it shoudl be straightforward
592 2018-02-15T19:31:48  <BlueMatt> sipa: that was my point...we're gonna have to handle it wrt dynamic multiwallet
593 2018-02-15T19:31:50  <wumpus> so focus on that first
594 2018-02-15T19:31:53  <achow101> but I kinda got stuck at how the hell to get the rpcconsole to tell the gui to reload the wallet
595 2018-02-15T19:32:00  <sipa> BlueMatt: yup, agree
596 2018-02-15T19:32:04  <wumpus> just unload the wallet ,resilver/rewrite it, then reopen it, voila
597 2018-02-15T19:32:07  <cfields> sipa: fair point.
598 2018-02-15T19:32:15  <promag> wumpus: +1
599 2018-02-15T19:32:22  <achow101> wumpus: that's what I thought. but then qt got in the way
600 2018-02-15T19:32:23  <promag> the gui should react
601 2018-02-15T19:32:31  <promag> some signals etc
602 2018-02-15T19:32:32  <wumpus> achow101: GUI should subscribe to wallet unload events
603 2018-02-15T19:32:36  <achow101> wumpus: qt and the rpcconsole donn't interact particularly well
604 2018-02-15T19:32:40  <achow101> apparently
605 2018-02-15T19:32:42  <wumpus> achow101: and delete the associated state from the GUI
606 2018-02-15T19:32:50  <wumpus> promag: yes exactly
607 2018-02-15T19:33:04  <BlueMatt> achow101: I'm confused, so this is an open issue to solve for dynamic multiwallet gui, no?
608 2018-02-15T19:33:12  <achow101> BlueMatt: it is
609 2018-02-15T19:33:24  <BlueMatt> ok, so the question is how to handle it properly in that case?
610 2018-02-15T19:33:27  <wumpus> wallets have an associated GUI object (walletmodel) which then needs to be deleted, as well as the tabs/other stuff associated with that wallet
611 2018-02-15T19:33:27  <promag> what's the deal with rpcconsole? because of the target wallet of wallet commands?
612 2018-02-15T19:34:07  <achow101> BlueMatt: the issue that needs to be handled is how to get the gui to reload a wallet from actions that happened over rpc
613 2018-02-15T19:34:08  <wumpus> how is the console a problem? does it care about wallets?
614 2018-02-15T19:34:13  <promag> I think #11383 deals with changing wallets, it's a matter to change to null wallet
615 2018-02-15T19:34:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11383 | Basic Multiwallet GUI support by luke-jr · Pull Request #11383 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
616 2018-02-15T19:34:17  <wumpus> it just interprets commands and sends them to the RPC interface IIRC
617 2018-02-15T19:34:28  <wumpus> oh the wallet selectbox thing
618 2018-02-15T19:34:38  <wumpus> yes, that needs to listen to wallet removal events too, then...
619 2018-02-15T19:34:41  <achow101> wumpus: things that happen over rpc need to be reflected in the gui
620 2018-02-15T19:35:06  <wumpus> so I'd say first implement it in the RPC
621 2018-02-15T19:35:08  <kanzure> are the relevant qt signal hooks not implemented..?
622 2018-02-15T19:35:12  <wumpus> then later make a PR to do it for the GUI
623 2018-02-15T19:35:13  <promag> both gui and rpc should load/unload wallets in the same place, and only then the gui reacts
624 2018-02-15T19:35:23  <wumpus> that's usually the order in which we do things
625 2018-02-15T19:35:44  <achow101> wumpus: but then people may use the rpcconsole which just does the rpc things, and that will just break the gui.
626 2018-02-15T19:35:47  <achow101> it segfaults
627 2018-02-15T19:35:49  <wumpus> GUI is usually a hairier business, and needs different reviewers
628 2018-02-15T19:36:03  <wumpus> oh yes it should certainly not segfault..
629 2018-02-15T19:36:21  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
630 2018-02-15T19:36:32  <achow101> e.g. for the encrypting the wallet without restarting, it works over rpc and in the gui if you encrypt from gui
631 2018-02-15T19:36:40  <achow101> but if you call encryptwallet from the rpcconsole, it will segfault
632 2018-02-15T19:37:06  <achow101> because rpc cannot tell gui to reload the wallet
633 2018-02-15T19:37:12  <wumpus> so that's because we don't have the hooks in place for dynamic wallet loading/unloading yet
634 2018-02-15T19:37:14  <wumpus> we need that first
635 2018-02-15T19:37:16  <achow101> yes
636 2018-02-15T19:37:35  <promag> rpc and gui don't know each other
637 2018-02-15T19:37:38  <achow101> I guess the question is really *how*
638 2018-02-15T19:37:46  <achow101> since rpc and gui don't really talk to each other
639 2018-02-15T19:37:49  <wumpus> ay other topics?
640 2018-02-15T19:37:58  <wumpus> achow101: using signals, conencting the GUI to them
641 2018-02-15T19:37:59  <promag> achow101: let's discuss this later
642 2018-02-15T19:38:18  <wumpus> achow101: the same as it works for other ClientModel. WalletModel signals
643 2018-02-15T19:38:33  <jnewbery> dynamic wallet loading (#10740) is very much a work in progress. I haven't touched it for a while because it felt like we would want multiwallet in the GUI to go in first
644 2018-02-15T19:38:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10740 | [WIP] [wallet] dynamic loading/unloading of wallets by jnewbery · Pull Request #10740 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
645 2018-02-15T19:39:02  <wumpus> so there's a signal WalletAboutToBeUnloaded, and a signal NewWallet, the GUI can handle those and take appropriate action
646 2018-02-15T19:39:04  <promag> jnewbery: right, that was the last conclusion iirc
647 2018-02-15T19:40:10  <wumpus> other topics?
648 2018-02-15T19:40:14  <kanzure> please send me your topic suggestions for my collection for march things, including short-term (like specific issues or merge requests) and long-term (future stuff)
649 2018-02-15T19:40:59  <wumpus> #action please send kanzure your topic suggestions for my collection for march things, including short-term (like specific issues or merge requests) and long-term (future stuff)
650 2018-02-15T19:41:28  <kanzure> i could also just randomly assign issues :-)
651 2018-02-15T19:41:38  <cfields> kanzure: thanks for doing that
652 2018-02-15T19:41:55  <luke-jr> #12208 should still be in 0.16, somehow not tagged/merged yet
653 2018-02-15T19:41:57  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12208 | GUI: Rephrase Bech32 checkbox texts, and enable it with legacy address default by luke-jr · Pull Request #12208 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
654 2018-02-15T19:42:15  <achow101> any news on the mpc rsa signing key?
655 2018-02-15T19:43:07  <wumpus> luke-jr: doing a string change in a rc would be really unwise, we can tag it 0.16.1 though
656 2018-02-15T19:43:21  <luke-jr> wumpus: more unwise than having confusing strings?
657 2018-02-15T19:43:27  <wumpus> luke-jr: yes
658 2018-02-15T19:43:40  <wumpus> it's too late, translators have no chance to even look at it anymore
659 2018-02-15T19:43:54  <luke-jr> could copy the translations to it, but whatever
660 2018-02-15T19:44:18  <luke-jr> long-term, I guess that could result in confusing translations persisting XD
661 2018-02-15T19:44:24  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
662 2018-02-15T19:44:54  <cfields> I'm sure we'll learn a lot about bech32 confusion with 0.16.0. We'll be in better shape to clean it up for 0.16.1 with that feedback, I think.
663 2018-02-15T19:45:01  <wumpus> &
664 2018-02-15T19:45:04  <wumpus> ^
665 2018-02-15T19:45:29  <luke-jr> well, as-is, it seems to affirm the myth that there is a from address
666 2018-02-15T19:45:44  * booyah can translate whatever string to PL if anyone needs quickly just ping me
667 2018-02-15T19:46:22  <booyah> if it's like 1 string I bet on #bitcoin + reddit community has someone ready for any lang
668 2018-02-15T19:46:48  <achow101> meta topic: meeeting notes
669 2018-02-15T19:47:02  <wumpus> #topic meeting notes
670 2018-02-15T19:47:18  <achow101> the person I got to write the meeting notes got bored with it so they aren't happening anymore :(
671 2018-02-15T19:47:35  <sipa> can't blame them, i guess..
672 2018-02-15T19:47:36  <wumpus> oh :(
673 2018-02-15T19:48:06  <cfields> sex.
674 2018-02-15T19:48:15  <cfields> there, fixed. next topic?
675 2018-02-15T19:48:29  <wumpus> heh
676 2018-02-15T19:48:36  <wumpus> I think we're out of topics
677 2018-02-15T19:48:53  <wumpus> #endmeeting
678 2018-02-15T19:48:53  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Feb 15 19:48:53 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
679 2018-02-15T19:48:53  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-02-15-19.01.html
680 2018-02-15T19:48:53  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-02-15-19.01.txt
681 2018-02-15T19:48:53  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-02-15-19.01.log.html
682 2018-02-15T19:49:09  <kanzure> for march topics, send your topics or someone else's topics. it's fair game to insist that someone else talks about a thing >:-).
683 2018-02-15T19:49:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #12442: devtools: Exclude patches from lint-whitespace (master...Mf1802-devtoolsLintWhitespaceExcludePatches) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12442
684 2018-02-15T19:49:52  <achow101> kanzure: what's the current list of topics?
685 2018-02-15T19:49:52  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
686 2018-02-15T19:50:09  <kanzure> achow101: i have a few items, might post it in public soon. i've done this a few times in the past before meetups.
687 2018-02-15T19:50:56  <kanzure> usually i just write down a wishlist of what i want people to talk about, but i definitely overlook some items just out of sheer ignorance or something
688 2018-02-15T19:51:22  <kanzure> or what i know people are working on
689 2018-02-15T19:52:08  <promag> achow101: fyi later I'm going to test 11678
690 2018-02-15T19:52:29  <achow101> kanzure: ah, I thought the list might be published already
691 2018-02-15T19:52:32  <achow101> promag: ok
692 2018-02-15T19:52:34  *** Sister78Fisher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
693 2018-02-15T19:52:43  <achow101> promag: that current implementation is really bad
694 2018-02-15T19:52:44  *** promag has quit IRC
695 2018-02-15T19:52:51  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
696 2018-02-15T19:53:13  *** jamespeerless has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
697 2018-02-15T19:54:50  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
698 2018-02-15T19:55:39  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
699 2018-02-15T19:58:38  *** jamesob has quit IRC
700 2018-02-15T19:58:52  *** opdenkamp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
701 2018-02-15T19:58:59  *** anome has quit IRC
702 2018-02-15T20:00:05  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
703 2018-02-15T20:01:38  *** Sister78Fisher has quit IRC
704 2018-02-15T20:03:31  *** ossifrage_ is now known as ossifrage
705 2018-02-15T20:06:00  *** sengehest has quit IRC
706 2018-02-15T20:07:27  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
707 2018-02-15T20:09:01  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
708 2018-02-15T20:12:15  *** sengehest has quit IRC
709 2018-02-15T20:17:50  *** contrapumpkin has quit IRC
710 2018-02-15T20:18:56  *** promag has quit IRC
711 2018-02-15T20:22:46  <jonasschnelli> sorry. missed the meeting. currently UTC+10.5
712 2018-02-15T20:23:20  *** kmels has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
713 2018-02-15T20:24:44  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
714 2018-02-15T20:28:07  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: you didn't miss that much, though please join in our prayer that rc4 will be final :)
715 2018-02-15T20:29:23  <sipa> i guess it will be an alleged rc4? :p
716 2018-02-15T20:29:59  <gmaxwell> You need to discard it's initial output if you want it to be good.
717 2018-02-15T20:30:02  <morcos> i think thats what the c stands for
718 2018-02-15T20:49:02  *** n1bor has quit IRC
719 2018-02-15T20:51:59  *** mmgen has quit IRC
720 2018-02-15T20:52:35  *** Kenneth35Wilderm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
721 2018-02-15T20:53:06  *** kislayraj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
722 2018-02-15T20:54:31  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
723 2018-02-15T20:58:00  *** AriseChikun has quit IRC
724 2018-02-15T20:58:31  *** AriseChikun has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
725 2018-02-15T20:59:13  *** sengehest has quit IRC
726 2018-02-15T21:02:40  *** Sinclair6 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
727 2018-02-15T21:06:02  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
728 2018-02-15T21:09:12  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
729 2018-02-15T21:11:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d09968f4d006...58715f6d073f
730 2018-02-15T21:11:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fc888bf Wladimir J. van der Laan: util: Fix multiple use of LockDirectory...
731 2018-02-15T21:11:05  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1d4cbd2 Wladimir J. van der Laan: test: Add unit test for LockDirectory...
732 2018-02-15T21:11:05  *** kislayraj has quit IRC
733 2018-02-15T21:11:05  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 58715f6 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12422: util: Make LockDirectory thread-safe, consistent, and fix OpenBSD 6.2 build...
734 2018-02-15T21:11:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12422: util: Make LockDirectory thread-safe, consistent, and fix OpenBSD 6.2 build (master...2018_01_openbsd_util_fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12422
735 2018-02-15T21:17:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
736 2018-02-15T21:22:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/58715f6d073f...5eff1c748d56
737 2018-02-15T21:22:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ceaefdd Cory Fields: fix possible shutdown assertion with -reindex-shutdown...
738 2018-02-15T21:22:25  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5eff1c7 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12349: shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate...
739 2018-02-15T21:23:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12349: shutdown: fix crash on shutdown with reindex-chainstate (master...fix-qt-shutdown) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12349
740 2018-02-15T21:29:40  *** Kenneth35Wilderm has quit IRC
741 2018-02-15T21:31:54  <promag> achow101: nack on those __Model::ReloadWallet()
742 2018-02-15T21:32:18  <promag> by design an __Model instance is tied to the wallet received in the constructor
743 2018-02-15T21:33:09  <promag> the same for WalletModel
744 2018-02-15T21:33:37  <achow101> promag: yeah, I'll probably ditch all of that once I figure out how to use boost signals
745 2018-02-15T21:34:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5eff1c748d56...3fa556aee203
746 2018-02-15T21:34:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5f605e1 Pieter Wuille: Make signrawtransaction accept P2SH-P2WSH redeemscripts
747 2018-02-15T21:34:03  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3fa556a Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12427: Make signrawtransaction accept P2SH-P2WSH redeemscripts...
748 2018-02-15T21:34:11  *** ZeroBug has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
749 2018-02-15T21:34:15  <promag> I really think you should wait for jnewbery or try to rebase his PR and build from there
750 2018-02-15T21:34:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12427: Make signrawtransaction accept P2SH-P2WSH redeemscripts (master...201802_signrawp2shp2wsh) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12427
751 2018-02-15T21:36:14  <promag> you should consider TransactionTableModel::wallet const (the same for other models)
752 2018-02-15T21:37:53  *** intcat has quit IRC
753 2018-02-15T21:40:12  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
754 2018-02-15T21:41:51  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
755 2018-02-15T21:43:08  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
756 2018-02-15T21:52:34  *** Weldon73Halvorso has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
757 2018-02-15T21:54:39  *** jojeyh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
758 2018-02-15T21:55:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 new commits to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5e40e64face2...3762ac127aec
759 2018-02-15T21:55:17  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 32a7268 Wladimir J. van der Laan: util: Fix multiple use of LockDirectory...
760 2018-02-15T21:55:18  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 4d54e7a Wladimir J. van der Laan: test: Add unit test for LockDirectory...
761 2018-02-15T21:55:18  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 ad10b90 Cory Fields: fix possible shutdown assertion with -reindex-shutdown...
762 2018-02-15T22:05:51  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
763 2018-02-15T22:05:53  *** jojeyh has quit IRC
764 2018-02-15T22:08:09  *** jojeyh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
765 2018-02-15T22:10:04  <promag> wumpus: if you are up to merges see #12083
766 2018-02-15T22:10:05  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12083 | Improve getchaintxstats test coverage by promag · Pull Request #12083 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
767 2018-02-15T22:10:20  <wumpus> sorry, I'm busy at the moment
768 2018-02-15T22:12:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/51093478c0e1d79b2aa4296c5f93dcf41c1ea92f
769 2018-02-15T22:12:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 5109347 Wladimir J. van der Laan: qt: Pre-rc4 translations update...
770 2018-02-15T22:12:44  <promag> np, it's mainly a test pr with 2 utack
771 2018-02-15T22:17:40  *** ZeroBug has quit IRC
772 2018-02-15T22:27:13  *** jojeyh has quit IRC
773 2018-02-15T22:27:47  <cfields> wumpus: preparing to tag tonight?
774 2018-02-15T22:28:00  <wumpus> cfields: yep
775 2018-02-15T22:28:06  <cfields> great :)
776 2018-02-15T22:32:30  <sipa> "the same thing we do every night, pinky"
777 2018-02-15T22:32:56  <wumpus> pinky and the brain brain brain
778 2018-02-15T22:33:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.16: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/a8e62a842615d338d41caf1603de4263a7f4bad8
779 2018-02-15T22:33:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.16 a8e62a8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Update release notes from wiki for rc3...
780 2018-02-15T22:33:35  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] theuni opened pull request #12444: gitian: bump descriptors for (0.)17 (master...gitian-bump) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12444
781 2018-02-15T22:33:58  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
782 2018-02-15T22:34:20  <cfields> haha
783 2018-02-15T22:34:28  *** jamespeerless has quit IRC
784 2018-02-15T22:38:00  <wumpus>  * [new tag]         v0.16.0rc4 -> v0.16.0rc4
785 2018-02-15T22:41:31  <cfields> woohoo
786 2018-02-15T22:41:40  <cfields> now go relax :)
787 2018-02-15T22:42:57  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
788 2018-02-15T22:45:14  <wumpus> :)
789 2018-02-15T22:47:49  *** larafale has quit IRC
790 2018-02-15T22:48:24  *** larafale has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
791 2018-02-15T22:52:27  *** larafale has quit IRC
792 2018-02-15T22:54:00  * esotericnonsense cheers
793 2018-02-15T22:57:42  *** sengehest has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
794 2018-02-15T22:58:50  *** Weldon73Halvorso has quit IRC
795 2018-02-15T23:02:32  *** sengehest has quit IRC
796 2018-02-15T23:03:14  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
797 2018-02-15T23:11:19  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
798 2018-02-15T23:20:04  <meshcollider> Oh I missed the meeting
799 2018-02-15T23:20:05  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
800 2018-02-15T23:20:11  <meshcollider> rc4 \o/
801 2018-02-15T23:22:17  *** esotericnonsense has quit IRC
802 2018-02-15T23:23:08  *** esotericnonsense has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
803 2018-02-15T23:24:27  *** jamesob has quit IRC
804 2018-02-15T23:24:34  *** anome has quit IRC
805 2018-02-15T23:25:30  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
806 2018-02-15T23:30:29  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
807 2018-02-15T23:43:21  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
808 2018-02-15T23:52:34  *** Jasmin42Hahn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
809 2018-02-15T23:53:25  <dx25> @sipa, did you write the cashaddr.h/cpp module in bitcoin-abc?
810 2018-02-15T23:53:41  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
811 2018-02-15T23:54:10  <dx25> because if so, that's hilarious.
812 2018-02-15T23:54:13  *** dongcarl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
813 2018-02-15T23:54:15  <sipa> no, but it was adapted from the bech32.cpp module in bitcoin core
814 2018-02-15T23:54:19  <sipa> which i did write
815 2018-02-15T23:54:19  <dx25> oh ok