1 2018-04-05T00:00:04  *** weez17 has quit IRC
  2 2018-04-05T00:00:50  *** weez17 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2018-04-05T00:10:03  *** unholymachine has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2018-04-05T00:10:04  *** nitramiz has quit IRC
  5 2018-04-05T00:11:24  *** timothy has quit IRC
  6 2018-04-05T00:15:26  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
  7 2018-04-05T00:20:51  *** jojeyh has quit IRC
  8 2018-04-05T00:26:23  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2018-04-05T00:29:29  *** Giszmo1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2018-04-05T00:29:30  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
 11 2018-04-05T00:30:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bfaed1ab2ec7...88430cbab4dc
 12 2018-04-05T00:30:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1e747e3 Mark Friedenbach: Make segwit failure due to CLEANSTACK violation return a SCRIPT_ERR_CLEANSTACK error code.
 13 2018-04-05T00:30:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 88430cb Pieter Wuille: Merge #12167: Make segwit failure due to CLEANSTACK violation return a SCRIPT_ERR_CLEANSTACK error code...
 14 2018-04-05T00:31:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #12167: Make segwit failure due to CLEANSTACK violation return a SCRIPT_ERR_CLEANSTACK error code (master...cleanstack-script-error) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12167
 15 2018-04-05T00:33:09  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2018-04-05T00:38:12  *** psyopp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2018-04-05T00:41:45  *** rls has quit IRC
 18 2018-04-05T00:43:10  *** freedomcode has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2018-04-05T00:43:42  *** Jackielove4u_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2018-04-05T00:46:06  *** iwkse_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2018-04-05T00:46:08  *** wumpus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2018-04-05T00:46:22  *** Lauda has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2018-04-05T00:48:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] instagibbs opened pull request #12888: debug log number of unknown wallet records on load (master...unknownrec) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12888
 24 2018-04-05T00:48:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/88430cbab4dc...9a2db3b3d511
 25 2018-04-05T00:48:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e80c640 John Newbery: [tests] Remove bip9-softforks.py...
 26 2018-04-05T00:48:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9c92c8c John Newbery: [tests] Remove Comparison Test Framework
 27 2018-04-05T00:48:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9a2db3b MarcoFalke: Merge #11818: I accidentally [deliberately] killed it [the ComparisonTestFramework]...
 28 2018-04-05T00:49:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11818: I accidentally [deliberately] killed it [the ComparisonTestFramework] (master...remove_comp_framework) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11818
 29 2018-04-05T00:49:14  *** CryptAxe_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2018-04-05T00:49:41  *** gaf_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2018-04-05T00:49:43  *** provoost- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2018-04-05T00:50:07  *** morcos_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2018-04-05T00:50:11  *** adam3us_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2018-04-05T00:51:13  *** gaf__ has quit IRC
 35 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** wump has quit IRC
 36 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** Lauda_ has quit IRC
 37 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** reardencode has quit IRC
 38 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** shesek` has quit IRC
 39 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** adam3us has quit IRC
 40 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** Soligor has quit IRC
 41 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** baldur has quit IRC
 42 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
 43 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** iwkse has quit IRC
 44 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** Jackielove4u has quit IRC
 45 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** jpe has quit IRC
 46 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** CryptAxe has quit IRC
 47 2018-04-05T00:51:14  *** morcos has quit IRC
 48 2018-04-05T00:51:15  *** morcos_ is now known as morcos
 49 2018-04-05T00:51:15  *** Jackielove4u_ is now known as Jackielove4u
 50 2018-04-05T00:51:19  *** provoost- is now known as provoostenator
 51 2018-04-05T00:53:49  *** nullptr| has quit IRC
 52 2018-04-05T00:55:41  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
 53 2018-04-05T00:56:28  *** nullptr| has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2018-04-05T00:57:11  *** Murch has quit IRC
 55 2018-04-05T00:57:28  *** baldur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2018-04-05T00:58:04  *** jpe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2018-04-05T00:58:19  *** Soligor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2018-04-05T00:58:37  *** shesek` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2018-04-05T01:00:48  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2018-04-05T01:04:29  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 61 2018-04-05T01:06:10  *** nitramiz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2018-04-05T01:06:44  *** psyopp has quit IRC
 63 2018-04-05T01:09:50  *** moneyball has quit IRC
 64 2018-04-05T01:11:54  *** nitramiz has quit IRC
 65 2018-04-05T01:15:35  *** DrOlmer has quit IRC
 66 2018-04-05T01:15:59  *** DrOlmer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2018-04-05T01:17:25  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
 68 2018-04-05T01:21:33  *** rls has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2018-04-05T01:22:37  *** go1111111 has quit IRC
 70 2018-04-05T01:23:21  *** rls has quit IRC
 71 2018-04-05T01:23:57  *** rls has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2018-04-05T01:25:06  *** go1111111 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2018-04-05T01:32:00  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2018-04-05T01:32:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Empact closed pull request #12812: Test ReadConfigFile (master...test-read-config-file) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12812
 75 2018-04-05T01:41:18  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2018-04-05T02:04:33  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 77 2018-04-05T02:05:43  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2018-04-05T02:07:14  *** nitramiz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2018-04-05T02:12:34  *** nitramiz has quit IRC
 80 2018-04-05T02:14:19  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 81 2018-04-05T02:21:08  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
 82 2018-04-05T02:36:54  *** jojeyh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2018-04-05T02:38:20  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2018-04-05T02:56:12  *** harrymm has quit IRC
 85 2018-04-05T03:00:41  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 86 2018-04-05T03:01:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2018-04-05T03:05:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 88 2018-04-05T03:09:18  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2018-04-05T03:17:49  *** jojeyh has quit IRC
 90 2018-04-05T03:22:37  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2018-04-05T04:08:06  *** gemian has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2018-04-05T04:12:05  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2018-04-05T04:13:01  *** karimofthecrop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2018-04-05T04:14:33  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
 95 2018-04-05T04:14:51  *** karimofthecrop has quit IRC
 96 2018-04-05T04:16:41  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 97 2018-04-05T04:18:02  *** karimofthecrop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2018-04-05T04:18:14  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2018-04-05T04:23:27  *** karimofthecrop has quit IRC
100 2018-04-05T04:26:05  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
101 2018-04-05T04:30:14  *** RoBz has quit IRC
102 2018-04-05T04:30:20  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2018-04-05T04:31:49  *** karimofthecrop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2018-04-05T04:32:01  *** RoBz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2018-04-05T04:32:01  *** RoBz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2018-04-05T04:44:37  *** indistylo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2018-04-05T04:45:50  *** DrDraake has quit IRC
108 2018-04-05T04:55:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] buddilla opened pull request #12889: doc: add qrencode to brew install instructions (#1) (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12889
109 2018-04-05T04:57:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] buddilla closed pull request #12889: doc: add qrencode to brew install instructions (#1) (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12889
110 2018-04-05T05:00:31  *** bule has quit IRC
111 2018-04-05T05:15:31  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
112 2018-04-05T05:19:30  *** isis_ is now known as isis
113 2018-04-05T05:25:22  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
114 2018-04-05T05:28:24  *** booyah_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2018-04-05T05:28:36  *** booyah has quit IRC
116 2018-04-05T05:40:58  *** karimofthecrop has quit IRC
117 2018-04-05T05:45:10  *** karimofthecrop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2018-04-05T05:46:48  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2018-04-05T06:02:23  *** karimofthecrop has quit IRC
120 2018-04-05T06:45:45  *** aruns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2018-04-05T06:48:29  *** indistylo has quit IRC
122 2018-04-05T06:48:44  *** Samdney has quit IRC
123 2018-04-05T06:54:21  <wumpus> <jnewbery> wumpus: mind if I take over #7729? <- no, please do
124 2018-04-05T06:54:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7729 | rpc: introduce label API for wallet by laanwj · Pull Request #7729 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
125 2018-04-05T06:54:40  <wumpus> that PR is cursed :)
126 2018-04-05T06:59:48  <wumpus> aj: could have something to do with how boost test is optimized, from what I remember
127 2018-04-05T07:00:16  <wumpus> some of the tests use BOOST_EQUAL and such in inner loops, while they're somewhat heavyweight
128 2018-04-05T07:00:37  <wumpus> (IIRC, for example one of the verbosity options causes them to log everything)
129 2018-04-05T07:01:41  *** Samdney has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2018-04-05T07:03:30  <wumpus> aj: you could use my methodology from #10026 (need to update it) to find if there are any tests that are especially show with gcc or clang
131 2018-04-05T07:03:31  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10026 | Overview of slow unit tests · Issue #10026 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
132 2018-04-05T07:04:35  <aj> wumpus: well, i tried to debug it, but gcc started doing things as fast as clang so now i don't know
133 2018-04-05T07:04:48  <aj> wumpus: better than clang doing things as slow as gcc at least
134 2018-04-05T07:04:50  <wumpus> okay, might have been comparing a debug build against a release build
135 2018-04-05T07:05:03  <wumpus> perf differences are brutal between those
136 2018-04-05T07:05:42  <aj> wumpus: oh, could have been -- do you know which bit is the difference there?
137 2018-04-05T07:06:19  <wumpus> lower optimization level as well as the mutex checking stuff overhead
138 2018-04-05T07:07:06  <aj> wumpus: oh... if anything it seemed that --with-debug was going faster :-/
139 2018-04-05T07:10:33  *** dx25_ has quit IRC
140 2018-04-05T07:11:10  *** Alan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2018-04-05T07:11:33  *** Alan_ is now known as Guest85364
142 2018-04-05T07:12:51  *** Guest85364 has quit IRC
143 2018-04-05T07:13:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9a2db3b3d511...2fc94370f510
144 2018-04-05T07:13:40  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5b10ab0 John Newbery: [trivial] Add newlines to end of log messages....
145 2018-04-05T07:13:41  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2fc9437 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12887: [trivial] Add newlines to end of log messages....
146 2018-04-05T07:14:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12887: [trivial] Add newlines to end of log messages. (master...log_messages_newlines) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12887
147 2018-04-05T07:14:39  *** dx25 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-04-05T07:16:01  *** Ishtv4n has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2018-04-05T07:26:02  *** arbitrary_guy has quit IRC
150 2018-04-05T07:30:26  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2018-04-05T07:33:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2fc94370f510...bd59c4395c50
152 2018-04-05T07:33:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a5bca13 Luke Dashjr: Bugfix: Include <memory> for std::unique_ptr
153 2018-04-05T07:33:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bd59c43 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12859: Bugfix: Include <memory> for std::unique_ptr...
154 2018-04-05T07:34:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12859: Bugfix: Include <memory> for std::unique_ptr (master...incl_memory) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12859
155 2018-04-05T07:39:09  *** zarez has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2018-04-05T07:54:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bd59c4395c50...2b54155a459c
157 2018-04-05T07:54:36  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a5263fb Indospace.io: doc: Use bitcoind in Tor documentation
158 2018-04-05T07:54:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2b54155 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #12877: doc: Use bitcoind in Tor documentation...
159 2018-04-05T07:55:20  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #12877: doc: Use bitcoind in Tor documentation (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12877
160 2018-04-05T08:04:58  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
161 2018-04-05T08:05:33  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2018-04-05T08:05:40  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2018-04-05T08:06:51  *** aruns has quit IRC
164 2018-04-05T08:09:51  *** udiWertheimer has quit IRC
165 2018-04-05T08:09:52  *** Jackielove4u has quit IRC
166 2018-04-05T08:10:04  *** drizztbsd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2018-04-05T08:10:38  *** timothy has quit IRC
168 2018-04-05T08:10:45  *** udiWertheimer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2018-04-05T08:10:46  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
170 2018-04-05T08:10:48  *** Jackielove4u has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2018-04-05T08:11:20  *** BCBot_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2018-04-05T08:11:46  *** BCBot has quit IRC
173 2018-04-05T08:11:46  *** cysm has quit IRC
174 2018-04-05T08:11:57  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
175 2018-04-05T08:12:22  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
176 2018-04-05T08:12:22  *** spinza has quit IRC
177 2018-04-05T08:12:22  *** jouke has quit IRC
178 2018-04-05T08:12:22  *** musalbas has quit IRC
179 2018-04-05T08:12:53  *** gwillen has quit IRC
180 2018-04-05T08:13:07  *** musalbas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2018-04-05T08:13:27  *** jouke has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2018-04-05T08:13:44  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2018-04-05T08:14:05  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2018-04-05T08:14:05  *** gwillen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2018-04-05T08:15:02  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2018-04-05T08:15:55  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
187 2018-04-05T08:15:57  *** nullptr| has quit IRC
188 2018-04-05T08:16:37  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2018-04-05T08:16:48  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2018-04-05T08:17:18  *** nullptr| has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2018-04-05T08:18:02  *** cysm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2018-04-05T08:18:27  *** gwillen has quit IRC
193 2018-04-05T08:18:57  *** gwillen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2018-04-05T08:21:14  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
195 2018-04-05T08:21:38  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2018-04-05T08:23:58  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2018-04-05T08:24:40  *** echeveria has quit IRC
198 2018-04-05T08:25:12  *** shtirlic has quit IRC
199 2018-04-05T08:25:19  *** LeMiner2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2018-04-05T08:26:52  *** stepa[m] has quit IRC
201 2018-04-05T08:26:56  *** Lightsword has quit IRC
202 2018-04-05T08:27:15  *** ryanofsky has quit IRC
203 2018-04-05T08:27:22  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
204 2018-04-05T08:27:22  *** LeMiner2 is now known as LeMiner
205 2018-04-05T08:27:33  *** Masaomi[m] has quit IRC
206 2018-04-05T08:27:34  *** kewde[m] has quit IRC
207 2018-04-05T08:27:35  *** ryanofsky has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2018-04-05T08:29:57  *** Modesta14Reynold has quit IRC
209 2018-04-05T08:30:21  *** ula has quit IRC
210 2018-04-05T08:30:28  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
211 2018-04-05T08:30:58  *** kewde[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2018-04-05T08:31:28  *** echeveria has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2018-04-05T08:31:29  *** echeveria has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2018-04-05T08:31:29  *** shtirlic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2018-04-05T08:32:34  *** Lightsword has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2018-04-05T08:32:57  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2018-04-05T08:33:11  *** Masaomi[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2018-04-05T08:35:55  *** Ishtv4n has quit IRC
219 2018-04-05T08:36:11  *** stepa[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2018-04-05T08:36:34  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2018-04-05T08:38:06  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
222 2018-04-05T08:38:22  *** pierre_rochard_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2018-04-05T08:38:39  *** Ishtv4n has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2018-04-05T08:39:53  *** pierre_rochard has quit IRC
225 2018-04-05T08:39:54  *** pierre_rochard_ is now known as pierre_rochard
226 2018-04-05T08:39:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2018-04-05T08:40:29  *** Ishtv4n has quit IRC
228 2018-04-05T08:42:59  *** Ishtv4n has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2018-04-05T08:51:46  *** LeMiner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
230 2018-04-05T08:56:28  *** promag has quit IRC
231 2018-04-05T09:02:38  *** Bridgette4Marks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2018-04-05T09:05:01  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
233 2018-04-05T09:15:38  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
234 2018-04-05T09:16:21  *** DrOlmer has quit IRC
235 2018-04-05T09:17:09  *** DrOlmer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2018-04-05T09:34:22  *** LeMiner2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2018-04-05T09:35:10  *** LeMiner has quit IRC
238 2018-04-05T09:35:10  *** LeMiner2 is now known as LeMiner
239 2018-04-05T09:51:27  *** Giszmo1 has quit IRC
240 2018-04-05T09:57:06  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2018-04-05T10:00:50  *** gemian has quit IRC
242 2018-04-05T10:40:04  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
243 2018-04-05T10:40:41  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2018-04-05T11:37:59  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
245 2018-04-05T11:54:28  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2018-04-05T11:58:20  *** merehap_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
247 2018-04-05T12:01:18  <mryandao> is travis being flaky again?
248 2018-04-05T12:01:23  *** merehap has quit IRC
249 2018-04-05T12:08:54  *** booyah_ is now known as booyah
250 2018-04-05T12:11:29  *** satwo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2018-04-05T12:16:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
252 2018-04-05T12:16:38  <wumpus> what's the problem?
253 2018-04-05T12:17:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2018-04-05T12:18:50  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2018-04-05T12:21:49  <mryandao> #12240 failed due to a timeout for 2
256 2018-04-05T12:21:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12240 | [rpc] Introduced a new `fees` structure that aggregates all sub-field fee types denominated in BTC by mryandao · Pull Request #12240 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
257 2018-04-05T12:22:09  <mryandao> "The job exceeded the maximum time limit for jobs, and has been terminated."
258 2018-04-05T12:22:22  <wumpus> fantastic
259 2018-04-05T12:22:45  <mryandao> ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯
260 2018-04-05T12:23:08  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2018-04-05T12:23:19  <wumpus> I've restarted job 2
262 2018-04-05T12:23:24  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
263 2018-04-05T12:23:38  <aj> i've been trying out the 32bit windows travis checks with more logging; seems like when it succeeds, the coinselection tests take about 15m. i think i'm going to have one fail now, and it's taking ages to compile before even getting to the tests
264 2018-04-05T12:23:47  <mryandao> cant the bitcoin core project afford dedicated machines with gitlab ci?
265 2018-04-05T12:23:53  <aj> https://travis-ci.org/ajtowns/bitcoin/builds/362589978
266 2018-04-05T12:25:51  <aj> wallet/test/coinselector_tests.cpp(17): Leaving test suite "coinselector_tests"; testing time: 950408ms
267 2018-04-05T12:27:32  <wumpus> mryandao: it's more of a problem of people than resources, no one really wants to babysit servers. There used to be a "pulltester" running some CI script on a VM, switching to travis was great. But yeah lately...
268 2018-04-05T12:30:03  <wumpus> I think cfields tried pretty much everything except waving a wad of money in travis representative's face to get more capacity, but no luck
269 2018-04-05T12:30:14  <aj> make is taking 18s on one host, but 822s on the other
270 2018-04-05T12:30:26  <jonasschnelli> there are also the nightly gitian builds I run... though not a real CI (runs no tests)
271 2018-04-05T12:30:44  <jonasschnelli> ideally the gitian builder would test the binaries in some VMs
272 2018-04-05T12:30:50  <aj> (make all i mean, not make check)
273 2018-04-05T12:31:10  *** Samdney has quit IRC
274 2018-04-05T12:31:49  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2018-04-05T12:33:29  *** Samdney has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2018-04-05T12:34:34  *** indistylo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2018-04-05T12:36:13  *** aruns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2018-04-05T12:36:36  *** aruns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2018-04-05T12:39:22  *** indistylo has quit IRC
280 2018-04-05T12:39:59  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
281 2018-04-05T12:45:23  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: yes, that would be nice, esp for targets not covered by travis at the moment
282 2018-04-05T12:46:07  <wumpus> aj: yes, compile speed varies a lot between platforms - I suppose memory amount and speed plays a large role, apart from CPU speed
283 2018-04-05T12:46:50  <aj> wumpus: this is the same platform though, i686-w64-mingw32 with DPKG_ADD_ARCH i386
284 2018-04-05T12:47:27  *** shesek` has quit IRC
285 2018-04-05T12:48:28  <wumpus> wait, your'e building *on* the same platform or *for* the same platform
286 2018-04-05T12:48:44  <wumpus> or both?
287 2018-04-05T12:49:12  <aj> mostly difference in compile time rather than test time though -- 13m for make all, 20m for test, 11m for make depends, and that's almost the timeout
288 2018-04-05T12:49:51  <aj> wumpus: same job twice, i just rearranged the arg order so it didn't get deduped
289 2018-04-05T12:50:05  <wumpus> ok
290 2018-04-05T12:50:33  <aj> with make check replaced by test_bitcoin.exe -l test_suite or so
291 2018-04-05T12:51:21  <wumpus> your results confuse me a lot
292 2018-04-05T12:51:31  <aj> :)
293 2018-04-05T12:51:48  <aj> i guess it means some of their w64 hosts are overloaded/slow/broken?
294 2018-04-05T12:52:34  <aj> (and also, our coinselector_tests are a bit slow on w64 for some reason? 15 mins seems crazy)
295 2018-04-05T12:54:48  <sipa> that is crazy
296 2018-04-05T12:54:57  <sipa> how fast are they on i686?
297 2018-04-05T12:55:34  <wumpus> so I would guess that's due to boost::test, doing BOOST_EQUALS etc in an inner loop
298 2018-04-05T12:57:08  <aj> haven't tried on other arches; running now as https://travis-ci.org/ajtowns/bitcoin/builds/362613881
299 2018-04-05T13:02:16  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
300 2018-04-05T13:03:26  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2018-04-05T13:07:32  *** wxss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2018-04-05T13:13:04  *** atroxes has quit IRC
303 2018-04-05T13:13:22  <sipa> wumpus: ?
304 2018-04-05T13:13:35  <wumpus> sipa: hm?
305 2018-04-05T13:14:04  *** zarez has quit IRC
306 2018-04-05T13:14:10  <wumpus> oh I can check how long the test takes, if you mean that
307 2018-04-05T13:14:16  *** atroxes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
308 2018-04-05T13:15:08  <sipa> ah, can we move the inner loop checks out?
309 2018-04-05T13:15:51  <sipa> accumulate a set of failure strings, and thwn assert that it is empty (with the set as message?
310 2018-04-05T13:16:53  <wumpus> yes, that would be a good option
311 2018-04-05T13:17:51  <jnewbery> wumpus: great, I'll have a shot at uncursing it
312 2018-04-05T13:20:24  <wumpus> coinselector_tests takes 10.5 seconds here locally
313 2018-04-05T13:21:19  <wumpus> (linux, x86_64)
314 2018-04-05T13:21:53  <aj> sigh. "test_bitcoin.exe" doesn't work well on non windows funnily enough
315 2018-04-05T13:22:50  <wumpus> what's the problem?
316 2018-04-05T13:23:04  <aj> linux doesn't add ".exe" :)
317 2018-04-05T13:23:27  *** zarez has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2018-04-05T13:24:32  <wumpus> #8650 "unit tests can be really slow under wine because BOOST_CHECK logs something for all tests. This patch makes them faster by only logging tests which fail. PR'd an alternative to #8632."
319 2018-04-05T13:24:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8650 | Make tests much faster by replacing BOOST_CHECK with FAST_CHECK by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #8650 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
320 2018-04-05T13:24:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8632 | Speed up prevector tests by parallelization by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #8632 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
321 2018-04-05T13:25:08  <wumpus> same problem, but that solution was kind of over the top as it replaces BOOST_CHECK completely, everywhere
322 2018-04-05T13:25:58  <wumpus> so in the end we just sped up the prevector tests instead - coinselector tests likely have the same problem
323 2018-04-05T13:31:07  *** Ishtv4n has quit IRC
324 2018-04-05T13:32:27  *** Krellan has quit IRC
325 2018-04-05T13:33:23  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2018-04-05T13:41:38  <wumpus> aj: should still work if wine is installed
327 2018-04-05T13:44:29  *** arubi has quit IRC
328 2018-04-05T13:46:37  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2018-04-05T13:48:53  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2018-04-05T14:00:59  *** atroxes has quit IRC
331 2018-04-05T14:02:51  *** atroxes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2018-04-05T14:03:39  *** aruns has quit IRC
333 2018-04-05T14:09:24  <sipa> wumpus: are you sure it's due to coin selection?
334 2018-04-05T14:09:41  <sipa> i'm looking at the total number of assertions in every test, and coin selection is tiny
335 2018-04-05T14:09:56  <sipa> it has 7022 assertions out of 4850320
336 2018-04-05T14:09:57  <wumpus> sipa: that's what aj said - okay in that case it's another thing that is slow in wine
337 2018-04-05T14:10:40  <sipa> coins_tests/updatecoins_simulation_test has 1223073 assertions
338 2018-04-05T14:11:58  <wumpus> whoa
339 2018-04-05T14:12:11  <wumpus> aj ^^
340 2018-04-05T14:13:59  <sipa> what is the command used to actually run the test for windows on travis?
341 2018-04-05T14:14:11  <sipa> wine src/bitcoin/test_bitcoin.exe ?
342 2018-04-05T14:18:22  <wumpus> just 'make check', which will do that indirectly, I expect
343 2018-04-05T14:18:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #12890: [DEBUG TRAVIS] Detailed unit test report for win32 (master...201803_debugtravis) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12890
344 2018-04-05T14:19:16  <sipa> yes but i want to modify the arguments it's being called with
345 2018-04-05T14:19:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #12891:  [logging] add lint-logs.sh to check for newline termination. (master...log_lint) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12891
346 2018-04-05T14:19:34  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
347 2018-04-05T14:20:38  <aj> sipa: i've been running "travis_wait 50 src/test/test_bitcoin.exe -l test_suite"
348 2018-04-05T14:22:51  <aj> wallet/test/coinselector_tests.cpp(17): Leaving test suite "coinselector_tests"; testing time: 21124667us   # us not ms, so just 21s on x86-64 with qt5
349 2018-04-05T14:24:03  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
350 2018-04-05T14:25:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
351 2018-04-05T14:27:21  *** GtomBlam has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
352 2018-04-05T14:28:24  <aj> without the wallet compiled in, all the tests seem to take 33,566,015us so 33s, which seems fine
353 2018-04-05T14:28:36  *** GtomBlam has quit IRC
354 2018-04-05T14:28:47  <aj> and the qt4 test times are reported with units of "mks" so i don't know what that means
355 2018-04-05T14:28:59  <aj> https://travis-ci.org/ajtowns/bitcoin/builds/362625669
356 2018-04-05T14:29:57  *** jamesob has quit IRC
357 2018-04-05T14:30:42  <wumpus> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28970229/what-is-the-mks-unit-reported-by-the-boost-unit-test-framework
358 2018-04-05T14:30:53  <wumpus> apparently, the Russian abbreviation for millisecond...
359 2018-04-05T14:31:57  *** Samdney has quit IRC
360 2018-04-05T14:32:12  <ryanofsky> wumpus, had been wondering if you think #10244 is ready, pinged you here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10244#issuecomment-378357905
361 2018-04-05T14:32:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10244 | Refactor: separate gui from wallet and node by ryanofsky · Pull Request #10244 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
362 2018-04-05T14:32:35  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
363 2018-04-05T14:33:14  *** CubicEarths has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2018-04-05T14:33:27  <wumpus> ... or microsecond (sorry, the answer is unclear too)
365 2018-04-05T14:34:13  <wumpus> ryanofsky: looks like it!
366 2018-04-05T14:34:28  <aj> sipa: might be faster to build with mingw32 locally, and just include test_bitcoin.exe in the debug commit
367 2018-04-05T14:35:09  <sipa> ?
368 2018-04-05T14:36:13  <aj> sipa: as opposed to actually compiling test_bitcoin.exe on travis, just include it in the PR and run it on travis
369 2018-04-05T14:38:13  <sipa> then i have to make sure the binary is compatible etc
370 2018-04-05T14:38:23  *** BCBot_ has quit IRC
371 2018-04-05T14:38:45  *** BCBot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
372 2018-04-05T14:39:29  <sipa> hmm, i guess that's not an issue for win binaries
373 2018-04-05T14:42:57  <wumpus> it's indeed not an issue; the windows binaries are self-contained except for OS libs
374 2018-04-05T14:43:54  *** Samdney has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2018-04-05T14:44:07  <sipa> compilation is very slow on travis; don't we use ccache across runs or something?
376 2018-04-05T14:44:25  *** satwo has quit IRC
377 2018-04-05T14:45:59  <wumpus> it should ($HOME/.ccache is among the travis-cached directories)
378 2018-04-05T14:50:32  *** unholymachine has quit IRC
379 2018-04-05T14:54:53  <sipa> aj: any other explanations about what could make the coin selection test so slow on windows (relatively to other platforms)?
380 2018-04-05T14:55:29  <aj> sipa: i wonder if it's hitting a slow interpretation path in wine somehow?
381 2018-04-05T14:57:54  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
382 2018-04-05T14:58:09  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
383 2018-04-05T14:59:22  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
384 2018-04-05T14:59:50  <wumpus> aj: the way to find out would be to try on real windows
385 2018-04-05T15:00:23  <wumpus> if it's also slow there, gcc-mingw64 is the problem, if not, it's wine
386 2018-04-05T15:06:10  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
387 2018-04-05T15:12:28  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
388 2018-04-05T15:13:22  *** pyericz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
389 2018-04-05T15:21:45  *** CubicEar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
390 2018-04-05T15:23:40  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2018-04-05T15:24:44  *** CubicEarths has quit IRC
392 2018-04-05T15:50:33  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
393 2018-04-05T15:50:35  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
394 2018-04-05T15:51:45  *** Krellan has quit IRC
395 2018-04-05T15:51:55  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
396 2018-04-05T15:52:24  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
397 2018-04-05T15:53:01  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
398 2018-04-05T15:53:08  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
399 2018-04-05T15:58:39  *** moneyball has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2018-04-05T16:04:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
401 2018-04-05T16:05:14  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
402 2018-04-05T16:08:42  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
403 2018-04-05T16:19:53  *** JackH has quit IRC
404 2018-04-05T16:20:00  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 22 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2b54155a459c...5f0c6a7b0e47
405 2018-04-05T16:20:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ea73b84 Russell Yanofsky: Add src/interface/README.md
406 2018-04-05T16:20:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 71e0d90 Russell Yanofsky: Remove direct bitcoin calls from qt/bitcoin.cpp
407 2018-04-05T16:20:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c0f2756 Russell Yanofsky: Remove direct bitcoin calls from qt/optionsmodel.cpp
408 2018-04-05T16:20:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10244: Refactor: separate gui from wallet and node (master...pr/ipc-local) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10244
409 2018-04-05T16:27:35  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
410 2018-04-05T16:28:53  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
411 2018-04-05T16:43:56  *** arubi has quit IRC
412 2018-04-05T16:44:22  *** Krellan has quit IRC
413 2018-04-05T16:44:51  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
414 2018-04-05T16:45:03  *** zarez has quit IRC
415 2018-04-05T16:45:46  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
416 2018-04-05T16:46:31  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
417 2018-04-05T16:46:44  *** Randolf has quit IRC
418 2018-04-05T16:49:59  *** Krellan has quit IRC
419 2018-04-05T16:50:01  <BlueMatt> so we now have 4 pending PRs which rewrite CValidationState, and all of them stomp on each others' toes significantly
420 2018-04-05T16:50:45  <BlueMatt> should probably pick one and get it merged asap instead of waiting until someone *else* decides they also want to rewrite CValidationState
421 2018-04-05T16:50:51  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
422 2018-04-05T16:51:31  <instagibbs> BlueMatt, clearly we need a standard on how to rewrite CValidationState
423 2018-04-05T16:52:20  <BlueMatt> nono, we need someone else to sit down and *write* a standard, and then a new PR for it
424 2018-04-05T16:53:40  <wumpus> we should get all the people that want to rewrite CValidationState into an (IRC) room and get them to agree what their goal is
425 2018-04-05T16:53:52  <sipa> can we please create a BCIP process first?
426 2018-04-05T16:54:05  <sipa> "bitcoin core implementation proposal"
427 2018-04-05T16:54:28  <wumpus> definitely
428 2018-04-05T16:55:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jl2012 closed pull request #8654: [WIP] Reuse sighash computations across evaluation (master...sighashcache) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8654
429 2018-04-05T16:55:12  *** Krellan has quit IRC
430 2018-04-05T16:55:14  <BlueMatt> wumpus: well it looks like Empact backed out the changes in #12463 that essentially made it into #11639, and #11523 needs rebase pretty significantly (and I'm not a huge fan of parts of it, hence #11639)
431 2018-04-05T16:55:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12463 | Drop the return and corruptionPossible arguments from CValidationState::DoS, and rename to ::Reject by Empact · Pull Request #12463 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
432 2018-04-05T16:55:18  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11639 | Rewrite the interface between validation and net_processing wrt DoS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11639 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
433 2018-04-05T16:55:18  <wumpus> write four BCIPs, then randomly copy/paste from them into one, which is used for the implementation guideline
434 2018-04-05T16:55:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11523 | [Refactor] CValidation State by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #11523 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
435 2018-04-05T16:55:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11639 | Rewrite the interface between validation and net_processing wrt DoS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11639 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
436 2018-04-05T16:55:42  <BlueMatt> but #11639 has been open for months and gotten no review except for suhas
437 2018-04-05T16:55:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11639 | Rewrite the interface between validation and net_processing wrt DoS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11639 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
438 2018-04-05T16:56:03  <sipa> i'll review 11639
439 2018-04-05T16:56:09  <wumpus> would make sense to add it to high priority then, I guess
440 2018-04-05T16:56:19  <sipa> would it help if i concept ack it quickly?
441 2018-04-05T16:56:30  <wumpus> it can't hurt at least
442 2018-04-05T16:56:41  <BlueMatt> it would, yes
443 2018-04-05T16:56:57  <BlueMatt> I can rebase it, but the rebase-needed parts are pretty much in the scripted-diffs, so whatever
444 2018-04-05T16:56:59  <wumpus> for an interface change concepts ack are important
445 2018-04-05T16:57:08  <sipa> if it's clear that that is the approach we want to take, i think we should prioritize the larger-refactor over the patch-up small prs
446 2018-04-05T16:57:26  <wumpus> right
447 2018-04-05T16:57:42  <midnightmagic> '/w 2
448 2018-04-05T16:57:48  <midnightmagic> woops, sorry.
449 2018-04-05T16:57:51  <sipa> unless the larger refactor will take so long regardless that it's better to have small fixes actually in master
450 2018-04-05T16:58:06  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
451 2018-04-05T17:00:44  *** arbitrary_guy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
452 2018-04-05T17:11:06  *** Arokh has quit IRC
453 2018-04-05T17:13:15  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
454 2018-04-05T17:14:21  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
455 2018-04-05T17:16:31  *** drizztbsd has quit IRC
456 2018-04-05T17:16:44  *** DrOlmer has quit IRC
457 2018-04-05T17:17:01  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
458 2018-04-05T17:19:22  *** DrOlmer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
459 2018-04-05T17:19:25  *** Arokh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
460 2018-04-05T17:27:32  *** Arokh has quit IRC
461 2018-04-05T17:28:12  *** Murch has quit IRC
462 2018-04-05T17:28:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #12892: [wallet] [rpc] introduce 'label' API for wallet (master...7729_jnewbery) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12892
463 2018-04-05T17:29:07  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
464 2018-04-05T17:29:21  *** Danilo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
465 2018-04-05T17:33:22  *** Arokh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
466 2018-04-05T17:41:02  *** Murch has quit IRC
467 2018-04-05T17:47:00  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #7729: rpc: introduce 'label' API for wallet (master...2016_03_wallet_label_api) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7729
468 2018-04-05T17:47:24  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
469 2018-04-05T17:50:47  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
470 2018-04-05T17:55:14  *** zarez has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
471 2018-04-05T17:55:25  *** Krellan has quit IRC
472 2018-04-05T17:56:29  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
473 2018-04-05T17:57:17  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
474 2018-04-05T17:57:52  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
475 2018-04-05T18:00:10  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
476 2018-04-05T18:00:52  *** isis is now known as isis_
477 2018-04-05T18:01:07  <jonasschnelli> meeting?
478 2018-04-05T18:01:20  <wumpus> I think in an hour
479 2018-04-05T18:01:37  <jonasschnelli> Oh. I see.
480 2018-04-05T18:02:49  <BlueMatt> Last chance to get reviews in for last week's high-priority list before you get shamed at meeting!
481 2018-04-05T18:07:20  *** lman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
482 2018-04-05T18:09:21  *** JackH has quit IRC
483 2018-04-05T18:10:33  *** moneyball has quit IRC
484 2018-04-05T18:10:45  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #12873: [ci] Run functional tests using bitcoin-qt in one Travis job (master...2018-04-03-travis-func-qt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12873
485 2018-04-05T18:19:40  *** Arokh has quit IRC
486 2018-04-05T18:20:30  *** Arokh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
487 2018-04-05T18:30:33  *** arbitrary_guy has quit IRC
488 2018-04-05T18:32:28  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
489 2018-04-05T18:36:17  <MarcoFalke> > jonasschnelli ideally the gitian builder would test the binaries in some VMs
490 2018-04-05T18:36:29  <MarcoFalke> I do, if you fix the osx build ;)
491 2018-04-05T18:36:51  <MarcoFalke> windows is WIP
492 2018-04-05T18:37:39  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: is it broken in general or only on my builder (haven't checked)?
493 2018-04-05T18:37:51  <MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: On your box
494 2018-04-05T18:37:58  <MarcoFalke> There is some network timeout to aws
495 2018-04-05T18:38:12  <MarcoFalke> fetchin a dependency that was recently bumped
496 2018-04-05T18:39:18  <jonasschnelli> I'll have a look.
497 2018-04-05T18:39:31  <MarcoFalke> Awesome, thx
498 2018-04-05T18:39:54  <jonasschnelli> Currently traveling back to CH and back in my office next week
499 2018-04-05T18:40:35  <MarcoFalke> Cool. Wir haben uns schon gefragt wo du so lange bleibst, heh
500 2018-04-05T18:42:37  <MarcoFalke> suggested topics for meeting: Slow unit test/Run unit tests in parallel
501 2018-04-05T18:44:56  *** bule has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
502 2018-04-05T18:45:47  <wumpus> good idea
503 2018-04-05T18:46:01  <sipa> yep
504 2018-04-05T18:46:13  <sipa> jonasschnelli: where were you?
505 2018-04-05T18:52:55  <jonasschnelli> sipa: I was 2 month in Indonesia... meeting was 3am... Internet speed was mostly 56kbit (shared with a couple of other people)
506 2018-04-05T18:53:00  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
507 2018-04-05T18:55:05  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2018-04-05T18:55:19  *** zarez has quit IRC
509 2018-04-05T18:55:27  <sipa> haha
510 2018-04-05T18:55:33  *** cryptojanitor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
511 2018-04-05T18:55:47  <sipa> BlueMatt: by "air" you mean "err" ?
512 2018-04-05T18:56:11  <BlueMatt> no? I breathe air
513 2018-04-05T18:56:56  <BlueMatt> oh, you mean on github, no, I mean air, as in "Matt doesn't know AIR-glish"
514 2018-04-05T18:58:14  *** Randolf has quit IRC
515 2018-04-05T18:58:47  <sipa> i preferr to err on the side of breathing air over earth
516 2018-04-05T19:00:07  <sipa> *BOOM*
517 2018-04-05T19:00:20  <wumpus> #startmeeting
518 2018-04-05T19:00:20  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Apr  5 19:00:20 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
519 2018-04-05T19:00:20  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
520 2018-04-05T19:00:24  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
521 2018-04-05T19:00:26  <jonasschnelli> hi
522 2018-04-05T19:00:29  <sipa> hi
523 2018-04-05T19:00:31  <Murch> hi
524 2018-04-05T19:00:35  <jamesob> yo
525 2018-04-05T19:00:36  <BlueMatt> This week's high-priority-for-review stats: 11857 got a few rounds of review (me, ryanofsky and sjors), 12560 went horribly under-reviewed (with only two comments from me and one from jimpo this week, no real reviews!), 11775 got one round of review from jimpo (which I missed until today, sorry about that!). MVP: jimpo. Overall rating: Needs Significant Improvement (for everyone except jimpo, for jimpo: Good Job!).
526 2018-04-05T19:00:36  <phantomcircuit> wat
527 2018-04-05T19:00:39  <wumpus> hi
528 2018-04-05T19:01:03  <meshcollider> Hi
529 2018-04-05T19:01:08  <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
530 2018-04-05T19:01:18  <cfields> hi
531 2018-04-05T19:01:40  *** moneyball has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
532 2018-04-05T19:02:30  <BlueMatt> I mean no point nominating new things if its not gonna get any additional review. Might as well just directly ping jimpo and ask him to take a look.
533 2018-04-05T19:02:36  <wumpus> well, I guess we need to keep it at the current list then, if the current ones don't get enough review we certainly shouldn't add more :)
534 2018-04-05T19:02:39  <jnewbery> hi
535 2018-04-05T19:02:57  <jamesob> This PR fixes a null pointer deref that's currently in master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12836
536 2018-04-05T19:03:16  <MarcoFalke> ^ Needs rebase
537 2018-04-05T19:03:30  <achow101> hi
538 2018-04-05T19:04:17  <wumpus> if something fixes an important issue such as a null pointer dereference (an existing one, not a potential one), please mention that in the PR title!
539 2018-04-05T19:04:30  <instagibbs> achow101, if you rebase psbt I'd nominate it for high prio, not sure you have the time to carry it right now
540 2018-04-05T19:04:41  <wumpus> "Make WalletInitInterface and DummyWalletInit private" really doesn't communicate that
541 2018-04-05T19:04:51  <MarcoFalke> Also, those fixes should go in without having them to put on high-prio
542 2018-04-05T19:04:53  <achow101> instagibbs: I'll try to do that later today or tomorrow
543 2018-04-05T19:05:06  <wumpus> yes, apart from needing rebase it seems to have enough review to go in
544 2018-04-05T19:05:18  <jonasschnelli> indeed
545 2018-04-05T19:05:29  <meshcollider> wumpus: maybe he wasn't aware it fixed that
546 2018-04-05T19:05:41  <wumpus> but please, don't hide fixes in refactor PRs
547 2018-04-05T19:05:43  <kanzure> hi.
548 2018-04-05T19:05:45  <wumpus> meshcollider: right , okay
549 2018-04-05T19:06:18  <jnewbery> I think he wasn't aware of the bug that he fixed when he opened the PR
550 2018-04-05T19:06:57  <wumpus> I see MarcoFalke already improved the title
551 2018-04-05T19:06:58  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
552 2018-04-05T19:07:16  <wumpus> #topic Slow unit test/Run unit tests in parallel
553 2018-04-05T19:07:17  <cfields> jimpo: thanks for the reviews
554 2018-04-05T19:07:49  <MarcoFalke> I thought that running the unit tests in parallel (similar to how the functional tests are run in parallel) is a free win
555 2018-04-05T19:07:57  *** Sinclair6 has quit IRC
556 2018-04-05T19:08:03  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: is that possible with boost?
557 2018-04-05T19:08:07  <MarcoFalke> Seems like they can be parallelized even on a single core
558 2018-04-05T19:08:17  <jonasschnelli> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_57_0/libs/test/doc/html/open-issues.html
559 2018-04-05T19:08:18  <BlueMatt> yea, most of them use our globals in them
560 2018-04-05T19:08:19  <cfields> MarcoFalke: i must admit, I kinda grumbled looking at your PR. Seems like it's really just a huge failure of the boost framework
561 2018-04-05T19:08:26  <BlueMatt> we're a *long way* off from being able to do that, no?
562 2018-04-05T19:08:26  <MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: I adapted the google parallel tests wrapper
563 2018-04-05T19:08:37  <wumpus> I hope it won't cause any ugly race conditions and such
564 2018-04-05T19:08:44  <wumpus> we have so many intermittent travis failures as is :/
565 2018-04-05T19:08:47  <MarcoFalke> BlueMatt: It works for me
566 2018-04-05T19:08:51  <wumpus> at this point I'd prefer more stable tests to faster ones
567 2018-04-05T19:08:52  <jonasschnelli> AFAIK boost test can't be run in parallel...
568 2018-04-05T19:08:53  <MarcoFalke> at least locally
569 2018-04-05T19:09:17  <MarcoFalke> You spin up different processes of course
570 2018-04-05T19:09:20  <BlueMatt> oh, sorry, i didnt realize they were separate processes, was thinking no way in hell separate threads works
571 2018-04-05T19:09:25  <wumpus> ohh smart
572 2018-04-05T19:09:27  <cfields> jonasschnelli: iirc MarcoFalke's PR creates a wrapper that runs them individually, in parallel
573 2018-04-05T19:09:34  <jnewbery> > I'd prefer more stable tests to faster ones
574 2018-04-05T19:09:40  <jonasschnelli> PR #?
575 2018-04-05T19:09:43  <MarcoFalke> like test_bitcoin -t wallet/t1 & test_bitcoin -t wallet/t2
576 2018-04-05T19:09:48  <jnewbery> We need faster too! Travis PR builds are timing out all over the place
577 2018-04-05T19:10:15  <MarcoFalke> jnewbery: that is a wine issue. Not sure if we can do much about it
578 2018-04-05T19:10:21  <jonasschnelli> Yes. The amount of tests we added during the last year made SAS CI pretty hard
579 2018-04-05T19:10:29  <MarcoFalke> I looked to realize I know not enough of wine to be of any use
580 2018-04-05T19:10:32  <jamesob> not to mention the Travis backlog has been pretty deep lately
581 2018-04-05T19:10:34  <wumpus> jnewbery: I was afraid of some race condition fest, but he spawns multiple processes, so that concern is gone
582 2018-04-05T19:10:55  <achow101> what pr number?
583 2018-04-05T19:11:07  <cfields> #12831
584 2018-04-05T19:11:07  <wumpus> #12831
585 2018-04-05T19:11:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12831 | [WIP] Run unit tests in parallel by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #12831 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
586 2018-04-05T19:11:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12831 | [WIP] Run unit tests in parallel by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #12831 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
587 2018-04-05T19:11:18  <MarcoFalke> Oh Chaincode Labs is willing to sponsor us additional 10 jobs for travis
588 2018-04-05T19:11:32  <MarcoFalke> I hope that goes through until next week
589 2018-04-05T19:11:37  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: nice!
590 2018-04-05T19:11:38  <sipa> pulling in parallel seems like huge overkill though
591 2018-04-05T19:11:55  *** zarez has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2018-04-05T19:11:57  <jonasschnelli> That's what I just thought
593 2018-04-05T19:12:12  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: nice, but does offering travis more money help? afaik what cfields said, it doens't
594 2018-04-05T19:12:29  <cfields> didn't jeremy start on a replacement for boost_test at one point?
595 2018-04-05T19:12:36  <cfields> yes, I've tried before, but by all means try again!
596 2018-04-05T19:12:36  <wumpus> yes...
597 2018-04-05T19:12:38  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: No, it will only increase the number of jobs
598 2018-04-05T19:12:45  <MarcoFalke> So it clears the backlog faster
599 2018-04-05T19:12:58  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: I guess money means going away from free OS travis to private support which seems to be slower even if you pay a lot? I may be wrong though.
600 2018-04-05T19:12:59  <MarcoFalke> It doesn't increase the quality or anything
601 2018-04-05T19:13:17  <MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: No it is a out-of-band update
602 2018-04-05T19:13:30  <wumpus> #8650
603 2018-04-05T19:13:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8650 | Make tests much faster by replacing BOOST_CHECK with FAST_CHECK by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #8650 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
604 2018-04-05T19:13:36  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: Okay. Good to know.
605 2018-04-05T19:13:42  <jamesob> $$$ = more parallelism at the travis job level
606 2018-04-05T19:13:47  <cfields> MarcoFalke: the issue that we had before is that they had no option for extra-paid open-source projects. Just paid and free. Maybe that's changed recently?
607 2018-04-05T19:14:04  <MarcoFalke> cfields: I contacted the support
608 2018-04-05T19:14:14  <MarcoFalke> They don't have anything listed on the public website/plans
609 2018-04-05T19:14:34  <cfields> MarcoFalke: huh. I guess it's new then. Great :)
610 2018-04-05T19:14:50  <MarcoFalke> apache or someone did it a few years ago, I am just trying the same
611 2018-04-05T19:14:59  <meshcollider> Cool :)
612 2018-04-05T19:15:03  <wumpus> great
613 2018-04-05T19:15:06  <phantomcircuit> jamesob, i seem to remember the threshold for payed support being better than the free support for oss being pretty high
614 2018-04-05T19:15:08  <sipa> hell yes, go for it
615 2018-04-05T19:15:26  <jonasschnelli> 8650 looks after a huge win.
616 2018-04-05T19:15:31  <MarcoFalke> Doing a wholesale replacement of the test framework seems not a short term solution and perpendicualr to running the tests in parallel
617 2018-04-05T19:15:50  <jtimon> thanks chaincode for the travis jobs!
618 2018-04-05T19:15:58  <wumpus> jtimon: +1
619 2018-04-05T19:16:24  <MarcoFalke> 8650 seems like WIP
620 2018-04-05T19:16:26  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: agree, would be a longer-term concern, if it can be done with boost test that's preferable
621 2018-04-05T19:16:49  <cfields> MarcoFalke: I only mentioned it because it'll probably be done at some point anyway. And if so, we'd want to write it with parallelism in mind.
622 2018-04-05T19:16:54  <wumpus> for now at least
623 2018-04-05T19:16:59  <wumpus> 8650 loses boost test features
624 2018-04-05T19:17:06  <sipa> MarcoFalke: i can't believe that what we need from parallel can't be done with 20 lines of bash
625 2018-04-05T19:17:11  <wumpus> e.g. logging what values mismatch
626 2018-04-05T19:17:34  <wumpus> sipa: yes - just list the test suites, then distribute them over processes
627 2018-04-05T19:17:41  <jonasschnelli> agree
628 2018-04-05T19:17:58  <MarcoFalke> I can't write bash, so someone else has to volunteer
629 2018-04-05T19:18:00  <wumpus> sounds fairly doable in bash, or at least python
630 2018-04-05T19:18:07  <sipa> MarcoFalke: i hereby volunteer
631 2018-04-05T19:18:13  <MarcoFalke> the current thing is python
632 2018-04-05T19:18:18  <aj> 20 lines of python sounds preferable...
633 2018-04-05T19:18:23  <wumpus> python is preferable to me
634 2018-04-05T19:18:27  <wumpus> at least I can help review and maintain it
635 2018-04-05T19:18:28  <BlueMatt> ugh, y'all bash-haters
636 2018-04-05T19:18:33  <MarcoFalke> aj: It has nice features such as a cache for the run times
637 2018-04-05T19:18:34  <sipa> aj hereby volunteered :p
638 2018-04-05T19:18:52  <MarcoFalke> sot the sorting would be done automatically and based on your specs
639 2018-04-05T19:19:27  <sipa> MarcoFalke: ok, 22 lines of bash :)
640 2018-04-05T19:19:34  <jonasschnelli> IMO the whole testing system is already pretty complex. I wouldn't set the burden higher
641 2018-04-05T19:19:42  <MarcoFalke> sipa: Pull requests very welcome :)
642 2018-04-05T19:19:50  <sipa> anyway, i'll see what i can do
643 2018-04-05T19:20:05  <wumpus> ok, so we should look at 12831
644 2018-04-05T19:20:18  <MarcoFalke> And the one sipa proposes
645 2018-04-05T19:20:18  <sipa> #12831
646 2018-04-05T19:20:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12831 | [WIP] Run unit tests in parallel by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #12831 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
647 2018-04-05T19:20:28  <MarcoFalke> #?????
648 2018-04-05T19:20:34  <MarcoFalke> tba
649 2018-04-05T19:20:41  <jamesob> at what grain does 12831 do parallelism? per file? boost test case?
650 2018-04-05T19:20:52  <MarcoFalke> jamesob: Whatever you like
651 2018-04-05T19:20:52  <sipa> jamesob: one test case per process
652 2018-04-05T19:20:58  <MarcoFalke> Currently ^
653 2018-04-05T19:20:58  <wumpus> per test suite, which is the only parallelism that makes sense
654 2018-04-05T19:21:37  <jonasschnelli> I guess finer (case) would result in concurrency issue
655 2018-04-05T19:21:43  <sipa> no...
656 2018-04-05T19:21:47  <MarcoFalke> ^
657 2018-04-05T19:21:56  <sipa> they're all in separate processes
658 2018-04-05T19:22:04  <jonasschnelli> Have we made sure there are no dependencies between cases?
659 2018-04-05T19:22:06  <sipa> concurrency doesn't even come into the pictire
660 2018-04-05T19:22:09  <wumpus> that sounds like a ton of overhead
661 2018-04-05T19:22:19  <wumpus> launcing a process for every test case
662 2018-04-05T19:22:23  <sipa> wumpus: 250 process creations.
663 2018-04-05T19:22:24  <achow101> cases should be independent of each other
664 2018-04-05T19:22:25  <sipa> ?
665 2018-04-05T19:22:27  <wumpus> yes
666 2018-04-05T19:22:42  <aj> test suite is the file, test case is the function (and each case has many checks)
667 2018-04-05T19:22:45  <jonasschnelli> achow101: Yes. But are they (ex. wallet test)?
668 2018-04-05T19:23:06  <jonasschnelli> But however, suite is what we want not cases
669 2018-04-05T19:23:11  <jonasschnelli> *suites
670 2018-04-05T19:23:21  <cfields> so, the tests can be built as a library...
671 2018-04-05T19:23:23  <MarcoFalke> The savings from --jobs=2 eat all the overhead from running in 250 processes
672 2018-04-05T19:23:30  <wumpus> sounds like a better granularity to me too
673 2018-04-05T19:23:42  <wumpus> in any case we need to get rid of the txt file with all the test cases
674 2018-04-05T19:23:45  <wumpus> and generate that automatically
675 2018-04-05T19:23:46  <meshcollider> Agree
676 2018-04-05T19:23:49  <jonasschnelli> Yes.
677 2018-04-05T19:23:56  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
678 2018-04-05T19:24:02  <sipa> that seems easy
679 2018-04-05T19:24:09  <jonasschnelli> (same should be done for the functional test IMO, *OT* though9
680 2018-04-05T19:24:17  <wumpus> too easy to forget a test now
681 2018-04-05T19:24:19  <sipa> we can grep for test cases/suites
682 2018-04-05T19:24:46  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: If we keep the list it would be linted on travis of course. *ducks*
683 2018-04-05T19:24:56  <cfields> not sure how it works, but if boost provides a reasonable api that let us fork() into each suite, we could write our own test_main.cpp to do so, no?
684 2018-04-05T19:25:02  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: yes, there were plans for that too, embedding some metadata in a header at the top of the py files, and automatically generating the lists, but orthogonal :)
685 2018-04-05T19:25:10  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: :-(
686 2018-04-05T19:25:19  <jonasschnelli> +1 :(
687 2018-04-05T19:25:36  <MarcoFalke> Fine
688 2018-04-05T19:26:03  <jtimon> wumpus: if we have one dir with all the cases and only that, it should be simple, perhaps we want to maintain the list of extra ones to skip the slow suites by default
689 2018-04-05T19:26:25  <wumpus> jtimon: there are some other parameters: sort order, and which list it goes into
690 2018-04-05T19:26:40  <wumpus> jtimon: but anyhow off topic now
691 2018-04-05T19:26:42  <MarcoFalke> Other topics
692 2018-04-05T19:26:44  <jonasschnelli> topic proposal: multiwallet merge (luke-jr brought this up last time while I was not here)
693 2018-04-05T19:26:44  <MarcoFalke> ?
694 2018-04-05T19:26:54  <wumpus> #topic multiwallet GUI
695 2018-04-05T19:27:03  <jonasschnelli> But I guess luke-jr is not here now
696 2018-04-05T19:27:19  <jtimon> right, mhmm, I guess you can rename the tests starting with numbers to keep the order, but that's kind of ugly
697 2018-04-05T19:27:33  <wumpus> cfields: I don't think doing it that way would change the challenges
698 2018-04-05T19:27:37  <jonasschnelli> I heard that the merge of #12610 was done while it was still controversial...
699 2018-04-05T19:27:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12610 | Multiwallet for the GUI by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #12610 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
700 2018-04-05T19:27:47  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: I'm happy that you merged it
701 2018-04-05T19:27:55  <jonasschnelli> If I did so, my appologies. I only wanted to make progress.
702 2018-04-05T19:27:58  <cfields> ok
703 2018-04-05T19:27:59  <wumpus> if there's anything to be fixed, file a new PR
704 2018-04-05T19:28:12  <jonasschnelli> PRs to fix design mistakes are welcome
705 2018-04-05T19:28:17  <jonasschnelli> yes
706 2018-04-05T19:28:29  <wumpus> luke-jr overblows that part imo
707 2018-04-05T19:28:52  <meshcollider> Yeah it's good that something has been put in, it's been weeks of small disagreement holding it up
708 2018-04-05T19:28:53  <jnewbery> jonasschnelli: better to get it in now so it has time to soak. Rough edges can be fixed in future PRs
709 2018-04-05T19:29:14  <jonasschnelli> I overhauled luke-jr's version mainly because of things like this: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11383/files#diff-2c15c5b52f35ea388ebab757eaab0f1cR506
710 2018-04-05T19:29:28  <wumpus> but in any case, the idea of open source software is collaborative development, we can't make progress with something like this if it stays a PR forever, and it had a quite lot of review IIRC
711 2018-04-05T19:29:32  <jonasschnelli> Erm this: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11383/files#diff-2c15c5b52f35ea388ebab757eaab0f1cR903
712 2018-04-05T19:29:55  <wumpus> yes
713 2018-04-05T19:29:58  <jonasschnelli> Yes. I took also care to keep luke-jr authorship in commits during my overhaul.
714 2018-04-05T19:30:39  <jonasschnelli> Okay. Done with that topic then. Thanks
715 2018-04-05T19:30:42  <wumpus> so it's ok, any other topics?
716 2018-04-05T19:31:05  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
717 2018-04-05T19:31:08  <sipa> let me think
718 2018-04-05T19:31:26  <jnewbery> I had a topic: merge #10244
719 2018-04-05T19:31:32  <jnewbery> but wumpus already did
720 2018-04-05T19:31:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10244 | Refactor: separate gui from wallet and node by ryanofsky · Pull Request #10244 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
721 2018-04-05T19:31:39  <jamesob> woo!
722 2018-04-05T19:31:40  <sipa> i don't have anything
723 2018-04-05T19:31:48  <wumpus> yes, congrats :)
724 2018-04-05T19:31:53  <jnewbery> \o/
725 2018-04-05T19:31:55  <sipa> yay
726 2018-04-05T19:31:58  <jonasschnelli> nice! Yes.
727 2018-04-05T19:32:01  <MarcoFalke> Good to see that in
728 2018-04-05T19:32:05  <BlueMatt> dont forget to review High-Priority PRs this week!
729 2018-04-05T19:32:14  <BlueMatt> </meeting>?
730 2018-04-05T19:32:21  <MarcoFalke> #action  dont forget to review High-Priority PRs this week!
731 2018-04-05T19:32:24  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
732 2018-04-05T19:32:44  <wumpus> #endmeeting
733 2018-04-05T19:32:44  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Apr  5 19:32:44 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
734 2018-04-05T19:32:44  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-04-05-19.00.html
735 2018-04-05T19:32:44  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-04-05-19.00.txt
736 2018-04-05T19:32:44  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-04-05-19.00.log.html
737 2018-04-05T19:33:39  <aj> any chance of getting #12878 added to high-pri list? it keeps needing rebasing, and at least it's easy to review...
738 2018-04-05T19:33:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12878 | [refactor] Config handling refactoring in preparation for network-specific sections by ajtowns · Pull Request #12878 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
739 2018-04-05T19:33:54  *** Arokh has quit IRC
740 2018-04-05T19:34:14  *** jeffree has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
741 2018-04-05T19:35:11  *** Arokh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
742 2018-04-05T19:36:23  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
743 2018-04-05T19:36:29  <cfields> aj: will review asap.
744 2018-04-05T19:36:31  <wumpus> aj: added
745 2018-04-05T19:37:05  <aj> wumpus: thanks
746 2018-04-05T19:44:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] chivambo opened pull request #12893: junior (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12893
747 2018-04-05T19:45:05  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #12893: junior (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12893
748 2018-04-05T19:46:22  *** lman has quit IRC
749 2018-04-05T19:49:35  *** satwo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
750 2018-04-05T19:51:12  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
751 2018-04-05T19:51:21  *** zarez has quit IRC
752 2018-04-05T19:57:48  *** moneyball has quit IRC
753 2018-04-05T20:02:22  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
754 2018-04-05T20:02:42  *** mrtn_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
755 2018-04-05T20:02:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #12894: tests: Avoid test suite name collision in wallet crypto_tests (master...Mf1804-testRenameWalletCryptoTests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12894
756 2018-04-05T20:04:01  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
757 2018-04-05T20:05:14  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
758 2018-04-05T20:06:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
759 2018-04-05T20:07:17  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
760 2018-04-05T20:09:13  *** booyah has quit IRC
761 2018-04-05T20:09:58  * sipa learned about xargs -P today
762 2018-04-05T20:10:00  <sipa> cat src/{,wallet/,qt/}test/*.cpp | fgrep BOOST_FIXTURE_TEST_SUITE | cut -d '(' -f 2 | cut -d ',' -f 1 | shuf | xargs -n 1 -P 4 -I "{}" -- ./src/test/test_bitcoin -t "{}/*"
763 2018-04-05T20:10:30  *** promag has quit IRC
764 2018-04-05T20:10:34  <sipa> MarcoFalke: ^
765 2018-04-05T20:12:40  <achow101> one line of bash?
766 2018-04-05T20:12:46  *** arbitrary_guy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
767 2018-04-05T20:13:23  <MarcoFalke> sipa: Needs white space stripped as well?
768 2018-04-05T20:13:30  <sipa> hmm?
769 2018-04-05T20:13:42  <MarcoFalke> TEST_SUITE(  a   , ...)
770 2018-04-05T20:13:54  <MarcoFalke> The one before and after "a"
771 2018-04-05T20:14:04  <MarcoFalke> Otherwise I get "Test setup error: no test cases matching filter or all test cases were disabled"
772 2018-04-05T20:14:13  <sipa> heh
773 2018-04-05T20:14:31  <MarcoFalke> That xargs -P is cool
774 2018-04-05T20:15:04  <sipa> add | tr -d '[:space:]' | somewhere
775 2018-04-05T20:15:37  <jamesob> I think `shuf -z` + `xargs -0` is recommended
776 2018-04-05T20:15:50  <MarcoFalke> Also, nice to use one iteration of bogosort to sort by run time
777 2018-04-05T20:16:25  <sipa> jamesob: i don't think we're particularly worried about test names with newlines in them :)
778 2018-04-05T20:16:54  <sipa> but yes
779 2018-04-05T20:16:57  <jamesob> sipa: I'll make it a point to include one in my next testcase ;)
780 2018-04-05T20:17:07  <MarcoFalke> Someone should see if it works with emojis in test names
781 2018-04-05T20:17:08  * sipa checks C++ standard
782 2018-04-05T20:17:18  <jamesob> I mean heck, if we're gonna do this as a one-liner we can at least overengineer it a little
783 2018-04-05T20:20:08  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
784 2018-04-05T20:23:06  *** webuser323 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
785 2018-04-05T20:24:42  <webuser323> sipa, MarcoFalke, I was just reading meeting log and though maybe 'man parallel' since you mentioned .sh for running tests in parallel. It's a great little tool.
786 2018-04-05T20:28:21  <sipa> webuser323: it is, and MarcoFalke wanted to use that initially
787 2018-04-05T20:28:33  <sipa> unfortunately it's a bit of a hassle.to include it in our repo
788 2018-04-05T20:28:55  *** jamesob has quit IRC
789 2018-04-05T20:29:17  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
790 2018-04-05T20:32:20  *** jamesob has quit IRC
791 2018-04-05T20:32:37  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
792 2018-04-05T20:32:38  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
793 2018-04-05T20:32:42  *** karimofthecrop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
794 2018-04-05T20:32:55  <webuser323> no problems, just thought I'll chime in with this in case it slipped somehow
795 2018-04-05T20:33:24  <sipa> thanks!
796 2018-04-05T20:34:01  *** jamesob has quit IRC
797 2018-04-05T20:34:12  *** webuser323 has left #bitcoin-core-dev
798 2018-04-05T20:34:20  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #12895: tests: Add note about test suite name uniqueness requirement to developer notes (master...check-uniqueness-of-test-suite-names) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12895
799 2018-04-05T20:35:35  <wumpus> you could always abuse make to run things parallel *ducks*
800 2018-04-05T20:37:31  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
801 2018-04-05T20:37:38  <aj> wumpus: nice
802 2018-04-05T20:40:41  *** jamesob has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
803 2018-04-05T20:41:45  <sipa> wumpus: oh!
804 2018-04-05T20:42:14  <sipa> do you know how make does thread counting across processes?
805 2018-04-05T20:42:53  <sipa> it's so cute
806 2018-04-05T20:44:37  <achow101> instagibbs: rebased psbt
807 2018-04-05T20:47:05  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #12894: tests: Avoid test suite name collision in wallet crypto_tests (master...Mf1804-testRenameWalletCryptoTests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12894
808 2018-04-05T20:47:05  <wumpus> sipa: no, I don't know
809 2018-04-05T20:47:51  <cfields> sipa: the special fd thing?
810 2018-04-05T20:48:02  <sipa> wumpus: it has a shared fifo; every time a thread starts, it reads a char from that fifo, and when that is done, it writes another character
811 2018-04-05T20:48:21  <sipa> it doesn't know or care where that char goes :p
812 2018-04-05T20:49:02  <wumpus> ahh that makes sense, nice, didn't know you could share a fifo that way
813 2018-04-05T20:49:16  <cfields> sipa: feel free to hack that into test_runner so that we could hook it up to make and -jX would just work as intended :)
814 2018-04-05T20:49:29  <cfields> that's been on my personal todo for ages
815 2018-04-05T20:50:49  *** lman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
816 2018-04-05T20:51:52  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
817 2018-04-05T20:52:16  <instagibbs> achow101, great
818 2018-04-05T20:56:30  *** moneyball has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
819 2018-04-05T20:58:38  *** karimofthecrop has quit IRC
820 2018-04-05T20:59:24  *** promag has quit IRC
821 2018-04-05T21:01:59  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
822 2018-04-05T21:02:26  *** Murch has quit IRC
823 2018-04-05T21:02:52  *** Madars has quit IRC
824 2018-04-05T21:03:06  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
825 2018-04-05T21:03:23  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
826 2018-04-05T21:04:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #12896: docs: Fix conflicting statements about initialization in developer notes (master...remove-conflicing-statements) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12896
827 2018-04-05T21:05:03  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
828 2018-04-05T21:05:09  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
829 2018-04-05T21:05:20  *** nitramiz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
830 2018-04-05T21:05:45  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
831 2018-04-05T21:05:49  *** mrtn_ has quit IRC
832 2018-04-05T21:06:22  *** murch1 has quit IRC
833 2018-04-05T21:08:18  *** murch1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
834 2018-04-05T21:09:36  *** satwo has quit IRC
835 2018-04-05T21:10:04  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
836 2018-04-05T21:10:27  *** Derrekito has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
837 2018-04-05T21:20:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
838 2018-04-05T21:23:18  *** bule has quit IRC
839 2018-04-05T21:26:10  *** nitramiz has quit IRC
840 2018-04-05T21:30:22  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
841 2018-04-05T21:44:38  *** meshcollider has quit IRC
842 2018-04-05T21:55:31  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
843 2018-04-05T22:02:06  *** wxss has quit IRC
844 2018-04-05T22:05:10  *** Murch has quit IRC
845 2018-04-05T22:07:01  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
846 2018-04-05T22:07:04  *** lman has quit IRC
847 2018-04-05T22:09:49  *** lman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
848 2018-04-05T22:16:36  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
849 2018-04-05T22:19:21  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
850 2018-04-05T22:21:17  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
851 2018-04-05T22:24:58  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
852 2018-04-05T22:26:41  *** owowo has quit IRC
853 2018-04-05T22:30:58  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
854 2018-04-05T22:31:08  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
855 2018-04-05T22:35:11  *** moneyball has quit IRC
856 2018-04-05T22:36:31  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
857 2018-04-05T22:38:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift closed pull request #12782: Explicitly state our assumptions about LookupBlockIndex(...) return values (master...LookupBlockIndex-assumptions) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12782
858 2018-04-05T22:40:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #12897: Add GetBlockIndex(const uint256& hash) for when the caller assumes that the block index exists for the given block hash (master...GetBlockIndex) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12897
859 2018-04-05T22:41:44  *** moneyball has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
860 2018-04-05T22:41:46  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
861 2018-04-05T22:41:47  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
862 2018-04-05T22:52:23  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
863 2018-04-05T22:53:02  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
864 2018-04-05T23:01:45  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
865 2018-04-05T23:03:00  *** Arokh has quit IRC
866 2018-04-05T23:04:20  *** Arokh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
867 2018-04-05T23:05:21  *** cryptojanitor has quit IRC
868 2018-04-05T23:11:04  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
869 2018-04-05T23:16:51  *** geezas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
870 2018-04-05T23:23:39  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
871 2018-04-05T23:25:51  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
872 2018-04-05T23:25:53  *** cryptojanitor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
873 2018-04-05T23:26:00  *** rods1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
874 2018-04-05T23:26:40  *** r251d has quit IRC
875 2018-04-05T23:32:20  *** lman has quit IRC
876 2018-04-05T23:42:10  *** dafunkiz_ has quit IRC
877 2018-04-05T23:44:41  *** dafunkiz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
878 2018-04-05T23:45:06  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
879 2018-04-05T23:49:21  *** tryphe has quit IRC
880 2018-04-05T23:53:11  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
881 2018-04-05T23:56:39  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
882 2018-04-05T23:56:57  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
883 2018-04-05T23:59:37  *** Madars has joined #bitcoin-core-dev