1 2018-06-07T00:01:44  *** BGL has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2018-06-07T00:11:10  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
  3 2018-06-07T00:25:28  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2018-06-07T00:25:29  *** ProfMac has quit IRC
  5 2018-06-07T00:25:42  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2018-06-07T00:30:56  *** drexl has quit IRC
  7 2018-06-07T00:39:31  *** intcat has quit IRC
  8 2018-06-07T00:41:46  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2018-06-07T00:44:10  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 10 2018-06-07T00:51:17  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2018-06-07T00:54:25  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 12 2018-06-07T00:56:58  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2018-06-07T01:02:46  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2018-06-07T01:12:09  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 15 2018-06-07T01:12:31  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2018-06-07T01:13:38  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 17 2018-06-07T01:13:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2018-06-07T01:14:01  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2018-06-07T01:14:07  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 20 2018-06-07T01:15:16  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 21 2018-06-07T01:15:36  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2018-06-07T01:16:49  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 23 2018-06-07T01:22:05  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 24 2018-06-07T01:22:27  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2018-06-07T01:25:10  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 26 2018-06-07T01:25:31  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2018-06-07T01:32:56  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 28 2018-06-07T01:33:15  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2018-06-07T01:35:26  *** cryptojanitor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2018-06-07T01:49:39  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
 31 2018-06-07T01:51:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] lucash-dev closed pull request #13050: [tests] improvements to slow unit tests (master...slow-unit-tests-improvement) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13050
 32 2018-06-07T01:52:16  <promag> MarcoFalke: #13230 needs rebase tag?
 33 2018-06-07T01:52:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13230 | Simplify include analysis by enforcing the developer guides include syntax by practicalswift · Pull Request #13230 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 34 2018-06-07T02:01:06  *** promag has quit IRC
 35 2018-06-07T02:10:32  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2018-06-07T02:13:47  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2018-06-07T02:14:54  <fanquake> promag it looks ok to me?
 38 2018-06-07T02:16:15  <fanquake> MarcoFalke is your bot on GH somewhere?
 39 2018-06-07T02:34:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 40 2018-06-07T02:35:09  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2018-06-07T02:41:13  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
 42 2018-06-07T02:56:24  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2018-06-07T02:57:54  *** jnewshoes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2018-06-07T03:01:50  *** enervey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2018-06-07T03:02:50  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
 46 2018-06-07T03:13:39  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2018-06-07T03:16:18  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
 48 2018-06-07T03:31:44  *** JackH has quit IRC
 49 2018-06-07T03:33:40  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
 50 2018-06-07T03:33:51  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2018-06-07T04:01:55  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 52 2018-06-07T04:02:54  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2018-06-07T04:04:05  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2018-06-07T04:04:42  *** tryphe_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2018-06-07T04:05:07  *** cryptojanitor has quit IRC
 56 2018-06-07T04:08:10  *** tryphe has quit IRC
 57 2018-06-07T04:08:10  *** grubles has quit IRC
 58 2018-06-07T04:08:38  *** grubles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2018-06-07T04:32:36  *** jnewshoes has quit IRC
 60 2018-06-07T04:34:44  *** jnewshoes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2018-06-07T04:55:20  *** bitconner has quit IRC
 62 2018-06-07T05:08:32  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2018-06-07T05:33:40  *** Randolf has quit IRC
 64 2018-06-07T05:58:31  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
 65 2018-06-07T06:06:08  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
 66 2018-06-07T06:06:17  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2018-06-07T06:08:03  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 68 2018-06-07T06:09:08  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2018-06-07T06:13:37  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2018-06-07T06:39:45  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2018-06-07T06:41:16  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 72 2018-06-07T06:48:35  <promag> wumpus: #13394 done
 73 2018-06-07T06:48:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13394 | cli: Ignore libevent warnings by theuni · Pull Request #13394 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 74 2018-06-07T06:51:24  <wumpus> promag: thanks!
 75 2018-06-07T06:54:05  <promag> cfields: +1
 76 2018-06-07T06:57:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e4082d59f53d...5779dc4f76ad
 77 2018-06-07T06:57:16  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0a4ea2f practicalswift: build: Add linter for checking accidental locale dependence
 78 2018-06-07T06:57:16  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 698cfd0 practicalswift: docs: Mention lint-locale-dependence.sh in developer-notes.md
 79 2018-06-07T06:57:17  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5779dc4 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13041: build: Add linter checking for accidental introduction of locale dependence...
 80 2018-06-07T06:57:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13041: build: Add linter checking for accidental introduction of locale dependence (master...lint-locale-dependence) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13041
 81 2018-06-07T06:59:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5779dc4f76ad...e1f8dce9939a
 82 2018-06-07T06:59:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0231ef6 Cory Fields: cli: Ignore libevent warnings
 83 2018-06-07T06:59:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e1f8dce Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13394: cli: Ignore libevent warnings...
 84 2018-06-07T07:00:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13394: cli: Ignore libevent warnings (master...cli-event) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13394
 85 2018-06-07T07:03:15  *** promag has quit IRC
 86 2018-06-07T07:14:45  <kallewoof> cfields: are you able to debug using lldb on mac? even with ./configure --enable-debug and make clean I get 'optimized', which is because it puts in -O2. Despite --enable-debug.
 87 2018-06-07T07:20:07  <wumpus> anyhow, going to tag rc2
 88 2018-06-07T07:21:33  <wumpus>  * [new tag]                                                                           v0.16.1rc2 -> v0.16.1rc2
 89 2018-06-07T07:23:57  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
 90 2018-06-07T07:25:09  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2018-06-07T07:29:10  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2018-06-07T07:57:12  *** Dyaheon has quit IRC
 93 2018-06-07T08:03:57  *** achow101 has quit IRC
 94 2018-06-07T08:07:55  *** Dyaheon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2018-06-07T08:10:26  *** achow101 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2018-06-07T08:24:02  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2018-06-07T08:35:11  <sipa> w00t
 98 2018-06-07T08:35:57  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
 99 2018-06-07T08:41:23  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2018-06-07T08:42:31  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2018-06-07T08:42:50  <fanquake> wumpus If you're still here, #13369 can go in
102 2018-06-07T08:42:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13369 | [docs] update transifex doc link by mess110 · Pull Request #13369 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
103 2018-06-07T08:53:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
104 2018-06-07T08:54:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2018-06-07T09:35:24  *** zhrek` has quit IRC
106 2018-06-07T09:37:29  <wumpus> fanquake: ack
107 2018-06-07T09:39:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e1f8dce9939a...f8bcef38fb9b
108 2018-06-07T09:39:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2b30ccc Cristian Mircea Messel: [docs] update transifex doc link
109 2018-06-07T09:39:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f8bcef3 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13369: [docs] update transifex doc link...
110 2018-06-07T09:39:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13369: [docs] update transifex doc link (master...fix_transifex_doc_link) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13369
111 2018-06-07T10:03:51  *** sturles has quit IRC
112 2018-06-07T10:08:44  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
113 2018-06-07T10:10:11  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2018-06-07T10:10:27  *** sturles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2018-06-07T10:10:27  *** sturles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2018-06-07T10:15:05  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2018-06-07T10:19:09  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2018-06-07T10:22:35  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
119 2018-06-07T10:24:44  *** Krellan has quit IRC
120 2018-06-07T10:25:13  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2018-06-07T10:31:11  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
122 2018-06-07T10:36:58  <rafalcpp> no one ported the github-merge.py script to support gitlab?
123 2018-06-07T10:39:19  <wumpus> not that I know
124 2018-06-07T10:40:10  <wumpus> i'd guess that they have similar APIs, and it's just a matter of tweaking some things
125 2018-06-07T10:41:25  <wumpus> huh, test_runner stopped printing progress dots here
126 2018-06-07T10:43:53  <rafalcpp> API differs, and they do not want to write compatiblity layer. But probably allows same needed functions
127 2018-06-07T10:46:09  <wumpus> oh it still prints ".", but it looks like it takes a lot longer to initially generate the cache
128 2018-06-07T10:56:37  *** promag has quit IRC
129 2018-06-07T11:00:35  *** Sinclair6 has quit IRC
130 2018-06-07T11:01:57  <wumpus> (ok, can't bisect it either, must be something that changed locally in the environment here)
131 2018-06-07T11:03:41  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
132 2018-06-07T11:03:51  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2018-06-07T11:07:01  <wumpus> rafalcpp: yes, I did not mean to imply it would be an exact mapping
134 2018-06-07T11:08:20  <wumpus> rafalcpp: looking at it, it does only use one call from the gh api, the one to get PR information
135 2018-06-07T11:08:51  <rafalcpp> wumpus: yeap, perhaps it will be written tomorrow
136 2018-06-07T11:09:18  <wumpus> and from that, it only uses the title, body and branch base ref
137 2018-06-07T11:09:25  *** Evel-Knievel has quit IRC
138 2018-06-07T11:19:48  *** rongze has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2018-06-07T11:20:17  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2018-06-07T11:47:16  *** Evel-Knievel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2018-06-07T12:05:46  *** bitconner has quit IRC
142 2018-06-07T12:06:43  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2018-06-07T12:06:54  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2018-06-07T12:08:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
145 2018-06-07T12:08:02  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
146 2018-06-07T12:09:09  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2018-06-07T12:09:15  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-06-07T12:25:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] marcoagner opened pull request #13410: Qt: removes html tags from tr calls (master...refactor_remove_tr_html_tags) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13410
149 2018-06-07T12:34:05  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2018-06-07T12:34:06  *** Krellan has quit IRC
151 2018-06-07T12:34:42  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2018-06-07T12:35:36  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
153 2018-06-07T12:59:32  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2018-06-07T13:06:49  *** ren0v0 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2018-06-07T13:13:05  *** jnewshoes has quit IRC
156 2018-06-07T13:20:05  *** jnewshoes has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2018-06-07T13:32:09  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2018-06-07T13:35:23  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
159 2018-06-07T13:41:12  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2018-06-07T13:53:38  *** rongze has quit IRC
161 2018-06-07T14:04:01  <rafalcpp> wumpus: any idea how "refs/heads/pull/1/merge" is created, because it seems to not exist on github.com repo for PR 1, and yet the script wants it
162 2018-06-07T14:07:10  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
163 2018-06-07T14:10:26  <harding> rafalcpp: it's a special GitHub endpoint for PRs.  I don't know how they generate it.  You can see some instructions for one way to use it here that may be helpful (or not): https://gist.github.com/harding/1a99b0bad37f9498709f#opening-a-pr-for-a-pr
164 2018-06-07T14:11:36  <ryanofsky> you may need a line like "fetch = +refs/pull/*/merge:refs/remotes/origin/pull/*/merge" in your .git/config file
165 2018-06-07T14:12:04  <rafalcpp> hmm actually that /head etc might be created by script itself. checking
166 2018-06-07T14:18:44  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2018-06-07T14:21:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f8bcef38fb9b...3d3d8ae3a0a9
168 2018-06-07T14:21:03  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ebebedc lucash.dev@gmail.com: speed up of tx_validationcache_tests by reusing of CTransaction....
169 2018-06-07T14:21:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3d3d8ae MarcoFalke: Merge #13404: [tests] speed up of tx_validationcache_tests by reusing of CTransaction....
170 2018-06-07T14:21:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13404: [tests] speed up of tx_validationcache_tests by reusing of CTransaction. (master...speedup-tx_validationcache_tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13404
171 2018-06-07T14:32:27  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
172 2018-06-07T14:32:52  *** belcher has quit IRC
173 2018-06-07T14:39:38  *** fanquake has quit IRC
174 2018-06-07T14:41:35  *** Krellan has quit IRC
175 2018-06-07T14:42:08  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2018-06-07T14:42:17  *** jcohen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2018-06-07T14:43:23  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
178 2018-06-07T14:53:02  *** Sinclair6 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2018-06-07T14:55:47  *** grubles has quit IRC
180 2018-06-07T14:57:20  *** jcohen has quit IRC
181 2018-06-07T14:57:30  *** zivl has quit IRC
182 2018-06-07T14:58:49  *** jcohen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2018-06-07T15:10:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #13412: Make ReceivedBlockTransactions return void (master...Mf1806-refactorReturnCodeValidation) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13412
184 2018-06-07T15:12:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2018-06-07T15:14:01  *** grubles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2018-06-07T15:21:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13384: qa: Remove polling loop from test_runner (master...Mf1806-qaTestRunnerConcurrentFuture) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13384
187 2018-06-07T15:23:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] skeees opened pull request #13413: [net,mempool] Call AcceptToMemoryPool() asynchronously in p2p (master...mempool-async) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13413
188 2018-06-07T15:23:46  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
189 2018-06-07T15:24:54  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2018-06-07T15:30:48  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
191 2018-06-07T15:31:25  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2018-06-07T15:35:43  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2018-06-07T15:35:49  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
194 2018-06-07T15:36:23  *** Emcy has quit IRC
195 2018-06-07T15:38:24  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2018-06-07T15:41:17  *** intcat has quit IRC
197 2018-06-07T15:43:39  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2018-06-07T15:52:05  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2018-06-07T15:59:39  *** promag has quit IRC
200 2018-06-07T16:01:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 8 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3d3d8ae3a0a9...ea263e1eb030
201 2018-06-07T16:01:25  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9b0ec1a Jim Posen: db: Remove obsolete methods from CBlockTreeDB.
202 2018-06-07T16:01:25  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e5af5fc Jim Posen: db: Make reusable base class for index databases.
203 2018-06-07T16:01:26  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 61a1226 Jim Posen: index: Extract logic from TxIndex into reusable base class.
204 2018-06-07T16:02:01  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
205 2018-06-07T16:02:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13243: Make reusable base class for auxiliary indices (master...index-abstraction) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13243
206 2018-06-07T16:02:30  <jamesob> nice change, congrats jimpo
207 2018-06-07T16:05:07  <wumpus> I think we should invite jimpo / Jim Posen to the organizations, he's certainly a frequent contributor
208 2018-06-07T16:06:30  <sipa> ack
209 2018-06-07T16:15:26  *** jcohen has quit IRC
210 2018-06-07T16:18:06  <luke-jr> is there some reason we went from single-value args + multi-value args to override-args + config-args? the former seems a lot better..
211 2018-06-07T16:31:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2018-06-07T16:38:29  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2018-06-07T16:41:22  *** jcohen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2018-06-07T16:42:23  *** intcat has quit IRC
215 2018-06-07T16:44:51  *** intcat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2018-06-07T16:45:17  *** gaf_ has quit IRC
217 2018-06-07T16:46:21  *** jcohen has quit IRC
218 2018-06-07T16:50:23  *** gaf_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2018-06-07T16:54:41  <rafalcpp> wumpus: gitlab support is added probably. Though I see git submodules are not supported at all. Ok to add support for it? maybe just convert them to text of the sha1 commit?
220 2018-06-07T17:04:00  *** Sinclair6 has quit IRC
221 2018-06-07T17:04:01  *** GoldenBear has quit IRC
222 2018-06-07T17:09:05  *** Krellan has quit IRC
223 2018-06-07T17:10:09  *** EpicBaldGuy has quit IRC
224 2018-06-07T17:14:45  *** jcohen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2018-06-07T17:17:33  <wumpus> rafalcpp: in bitcoin we use subtrees, not submodules, that's why there's no support for them
226 2018-06-07T17:17:55  <sipa> support for submodules where?
227 2018-06-07T17:19:38  *** Emcy has quit IRC
228 2018-06-07T17:20:38  <sipa> ah, in github-merge
229 2018-06-07T17:21:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ea263e1eb030...97073f8837f3
230 2018-06-07T17:21:46  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2acd1d6 Ben Woosley: Drop uint 256 not operator...
231 2018-06-07T17:21:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 97073f8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13396: Drop unused arith_uint256 ! operator...
232 2018-06-07T17:22:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13388: util: Implement boolean conversion and !operator for uint* (master...uint_bool) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13388
233 2018-06-07T17:22:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #13396: Drop unused arith_uint256 ! operator (master...drop-bool-not) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13396
234 2018-06-07T17:25:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] rfree-d opened pull request #13414: Support gitlab API in github-merge.py (master...githubmerge_support_gitlab) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13414
235 2018-06-07T17:35:46  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
236 2018-06-07T17:39:07  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2018-06-07T17:50:17  *** EpicBaldGuy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2018-06-07T17:57:17  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2018-06-07T18:08:34  *** Guest77272 is now known as wbnns
240 2018-06-07T18:08:47  *** wbnns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2018-06-07T18:12:58  *** EpicBaldGuy has quit IRC
242 2018-06-07T18:17:08  *** zivl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2018-06-07T18:18:31  <skeees> what would reaction / opinion be to defining a macro that allows a function to be static except in unit test builds
244 2018-06-07T18:18:51  <skeees> something like #ifdef TEST "" #else static
245 2018-06-07T18:19:45  <sipa> that would mean compiling the core objects separately for tests and for normal operation
246 2018-06-07T18:20:13  <sipa> which may have performance advantages, but also downsides w.r.t. testability (you're not testing the exact same code as the one that goes in production)
247 2018-06-07T18:31:05  *** grafcaps has quit IRC
248 2018-06-07T18:39:10  <cfields> skeees: for what purpose?
249 2018-06-07T18:40:41  <skeees> basically, theres a bunch of stuff (e.g. in net_processing) that could become static (and a lot of which is only called from one place so probably even inlined at compile time) except that its unit tested somewhere. might have some perf benefits, and would also help readability because you can immediately assess that something is translation unit local
250 2018-06-07T18:41:03  <skeees> but i imagine the work to configure separate builds is substantial
251 2018-06-07T18:41:20  <sipa> the perf benefits we can get longer term through lto as well
252 2018-06-07T18:41:21  <cfields> skeees: sounds like you're looking for lto?
253 2018-06-07T18:42:45  <skeees> mostly actually, i'm trying to separate net_processing a bit more from validation, and its been somewhat of a manual exercise, but finding lots of these - so i would say primarily readability / modularization actually
254 2018-06-07T18:42:59  <skeees> probably better static analysis tools would accomplish the same
255 2018-06-07T18:44:08  <cfields> ah, I see
256 2018-06-07T18:45:45  <gmaxwell> If we just want a cosmetic note for arch reasons, there could be a STATICBUTFORTESTS that turns into STATIC for a specific test build (to verify that its used correctly) but otherwise isn't.
257 2018-06-07T18:46:57  <skeees> hmmm yeah, that would do it
258 2018-06-07T18:47:23  <wumpus> skeees: yes, pretty much an alternative to this: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13301#issuecomment-391712408
259 2018-06-07T18:47:59  <wumpus> skeees: there's some good reasons to be against including cpp files, but it's also useful for testing static functions :)
260 2018-06-07T18:48:29  *** DougieBot5000 has quit IRC
261 2018-06-07T18:48:48  <skeees> ahhh, well you could have that linter not run on anything in test/*
262 2018-06-07T18:48:57  *** DougieBot5000 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2018-06-07T18:49:15  *** zivl_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2018-06-07T18:50:02  <gmaxwell> In other projects I've had okay success with including .c files for unit tests. I can get arguments against it though.
265 2018-06-07T18:50:18  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
266 2018-06-07T18:50:35  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
267 2018-06-07T18:51:36  *** tripleslash has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2018-06-07T18:52:14  *** zivl has quit IRC
269 2018-06-07T18:52:15  <wumpus> well it still has sipa's problem that "you're not testing the exact same code as the one that goes in production", it avoids the macro magic, but has including c/cpp files
270 2018-06-07T18:52:40  <wumpus> choosing between evils...
271 2018-06-07T18:53:22  *** nmnkgl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2018-06-07T18:54:14  <wumpus> the advantage of "my" method is that it also works for anonymous namespaces
273 2018-06-07T18:54:37  <wumpus> a macro to replace static, would just work for static
274 2018-06-07T18:54:55  *** grafcaps has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2018-06-07T18:55:04  <gmaxwell> Not testing the exact same code that goes into production is already pretty complicated. What the compiler is doing for inlinable functions already is inlining them where it can, potentially at every use in the file,  and then the export is some other code. So the test may well already be testing code that is not used anywhere else.
276 2018-06-07T18:55:20  <wumpus> gmaxwell: indeed
277 2018-06-07T18:55:28  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2018-06-07T18:55:29  <gmaxwell> (obviously this doesn't matter if the code is all defined behavior and the compiler is bug free...)
279 2018-06-07T18:55:45  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2018-06-07T18:56:11  <gmaxwell> I like to think of the "not testing the exact same code" as more of just a fundimental limitation of unit tests.
281 2018-06-07T18:56:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #13415: rpc: Add testblocktemplatevalidity (master...Mf1806-rpcTestblocktemplatevalidity) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13415
282 2018-06-07T18:56:39  <jcorgan> meeting?
283 2018-06-07T18:57:05  <wumpus> I mean it's a good point - internal/static functions are very likely inlined, so it's impossible to test exactly the same assembly code as used in production functions
284 2018-06-07T18:57:23  <wumpus> the point of the unit test would be to test the functionality of the code, not the compiler
285 2018-06-07T18:57:35  <wumpus> jcorgan: still 3 minutes to go according to my clock
286 2018-06-07T18:57:56  <jcorgan> ah, need to fix ntpd on my irc bouncer :)
287 2018-06-07T18:58:49  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2018-06-07T18:59:24  <gmaxwell> wumpus: yes, point of the unit test is testing functionality of the code not the compiler-- though if the code executes undefined behavior you can't fully decouple those things.  In any case, my point is that static vs not static doesn't differ in the functionality of the code...
289 2018-06-07T19:00:05  <sipa> *GONG*
290 2018-06-07T19:00:08  <wumpus> #startmeeting
291 2018-06-07T19:00:08  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jun  7 19:00:08 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
292 2018-06-07T19:00:08  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
293 2018-06-07T19:00:16  *** Krellan has quit IRC
294 2018-06-07T19:00:56  <achow101> hi
295 2018-06-07T19:01:03  <sipa> hi
296 2018-06-07T19:01:05  <wumpus> PSA: v0.16.1rc2 has been tagged, please start your gitian builders if you haven't yet, hopefully this can be a short rc, the only change is translations
297 2018-06-07T19:01:22  <sipa> reasonable chance that rc2 will be final?
298 2018-06-07T19:01:29  <sipa> (sorry, i haven't followed 0.16.1 much)
299 2018-06-07T19:01:34  <achow101> yes
300 2018-06-07T19:01:37  *** GoldenBear has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2018-06-07T19:01:46  <wumpus> well at least I haven't seen any other reports to it, except the Russian translation issue
302 2018-06-07T19:01:48  <promag> hi
303 2018-06-07T19:02:26  <wumpus> so yes I hope this can be final very quickly
304 2018-06-07T19:02:58  <jimpo_> hi
305 2018-06-07T19:03:02  <wumpus> topic proposals?
306 2018-06-07T19:03:44  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
307 2018-06-07T19:03:56  <wumpus> #link https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
308 2018-06-07T19:04:54  <wumpus> I don't understand why I added #13059 there last week, it's an issue, not a PR
309 2018-06-07T19:04:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13059 | Dynamic wallet load / create / unload · Issue #13059 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
310 2018-06-07T19:05:59  <wumpus> at least we merged #13243
311 2018-06-07T19:06:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13243 | Make reusable base class for auxiliary indices by jimpo · Pull Request #13243 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
312 2018-06-07T19:06:06  <sipa> yay
313 2018-06-07T19:06:10  <promag> =)
314 2018-06-07T19:06:27  <wumpus> so 6 PRs left, I'll remove the issue, surprised no one notified me about that
315 2018-06-07T19:06:49  <promag> I saw that, didn't mind :P
316 2018-06-07T19:07:35  *** bitconner has quit IRC
317 2018-06-07T19:08:16  <wumpus> I had an attempt at reviewing and testing #12196, but seems I found a bug
318 2018-06-07T19:08:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12196 | Add scantxoutset RPC method by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #12196 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
319 2018-06-07T19:08:29  <wumpus> it also needs rebase
320 2018-06-07T19:08:33  <wumpus> @jonasschnelli
321 2018-06-07T19:08:55  <jonasschnelli> hi
322 2018-06-07T19:09:18  <sipa> i was going to follow up with some ideas for writing sets of scripts/addresses
323 2018-06-07T19:09:28  <jonasschnelli> yes. will take care. had some busy days but will work on it next week
324 2018-06-07T19:09:40  <wumpus> ok, thanks for letting me know
325 2018-06-07T19:09:44  <jonasschnelli> please do sipa
326 2018-06-07T19:09:51  <sipa> yeah, it's on my todo list
327 2018-06-07T19:11:09  <wumpus> #13062 I already reviewed a while ago, though it's been needed to rebase since
328 2018-06-07T19:11:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13062 | Make script interpreter independent from storage type CScript by sipa · Pull Request #13062 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
329 2018-06-07T19:11:24  <sipa> i'll happily keep rebasing it :)
330 2018-06-07T19:11:58  <wumpus> luke-jr: #11082 needs rebase too
331 2018-06-07T19:12:00  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11082 | Add new bitcoin_rw.conf file that is used for settings modified by this software itself by luke-jr · Pull Request #11082 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
332 2018-06-07T19:12:15  *** jimpo_ has quit IRC
333 2018-06-07T19:12:26  <luke-jr> is there some reason we went from single-value args + multi-value args to override-args + config-args? the former seems a lot better..
334 2018-06-07T19:12:35  *** jimpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2018-06-07T19:12:36  <luke-jr> (this is blocking me on 11082 rebasing)
336 2018-06-07T19:12:49  <wumpus> I'll take that as a topic suggestion
337 2018-06-07T19:12:51  <sipa> i'm not sure what you mean by that
338 2018-06-07T19:13:05  <wumpus> (for later)
339 2018-06-07T19:13:20  <wumpus> #12136 still has lots of active discussion
340 2018-06-07T19:13:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12136 | Implement BIP 174 Partially Signed Bitcoin Transactions by achow101 · Pull Request #12136 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
341 2018-06-07T19:13:57  <wumpus> achow101: any idea what's needed to move forward there?
342 2018-06-07T19:14:06  <gmaxwell> Is 13191 waiting on my review and testing?
343 2018-06-07T19:14:08  <achow101> wumpus: more review
344 2018-06-07T19:14:17  <wumpus> achow101: just review? ok
345 2018-06-07T19:14:20  <achow101> wumpus: perhaps on the bip itself too
346 2018-06-07T19:14:28  <sipa> i've also been discussion some ideas for splitting part of it up
347 2018-06-07T19:15:04  <wumpus> gmaxwell: #13191 is already merged, but you're very welcome to test and review it anyhow
348 2018-06-07T19:15:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13191 | Specialized double-SHA256 with 64 byte inputs with SSE4.1 and AVX2 by sipa · Pull Request #13191 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
349 2018-06-07T19:15:41  <wumpus> sipa: that's a good idea, I think, just to have progress
350 2018-06-07T19:15:44  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
351 2018-06-07T19:16:09  <wumpus> better to make sure as many as possible non-controversial things already merged
352 2018-06-07T19:16:30  <gmaxwell> wumpus: lol. sorry, I had an old page up and on reload the post merge discussion caused me to miss that it was merged. :P
353 2018-06-07T19:16:45  <gmaxwell> So I was confused as to why it wasn't merged yet.
354 2018-06-07T19:16:45  <wumpus> gmaxwell: hehe
355 2018-06-07T19:17:21  <sipa> there are a few more specialized-instructions-optimized-code PRs open
356 2018-06-07T19:17:49  <sipa> we discovered yesterday that compiling the sse4 intrinsics code with -mavx gives a 30% speedup
357 2018-06-07T19:18:02  <wumpus> #13111 should be pretty close, I guess it's just a boring thing to manually test because it unloads
358 2018-06-07T19:18:05  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13111 | Add unloadwallet RPC by promag · Pull Request #13111 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
359 2018-06-07T19:18:24  <cfields> sipa: how much work do you think it would be to switch the sse41 to intrinsics?
360 2018-06-07T19:18:26  <promag> reviews are welcome
361 2018-06-07T19:18:36  <wumpus> promag: I will
362 2018-06-07T19:18:46  <promag> i think it's almost there
363 2018-06-07T19:18:54  <sipa> cfields: that would be neat
364 2018-06-07T19:19:01  <sipa> cfields: i can try, but it's low priority for me
365 2018-06-07T19:19:08  <wumpus> sipa: yes, that was really neat
366 2018-06-07T19:19:08  <gmaxwell> I'll put money on it being a boatload slower. :P
367 2018-06-07T19:19:32  <sipa> gmaxwell: define "boatload" please
368 2018-06-07T19:19:37  <gmaxwell> (based on the mavx result suggests to me that the compiler is failing to achieve a good register allocation that doesn't kill performance)
369 2018-06-07T19:19:40  <gmaxwell> 30%.
370 2018-06-07T19:19:42  <sipa> (so i know whether to take the bet or not)
371 2018-06-07T19:19:54  <sipa> nah, no way it's 30% slower with intrinsics :)
372 2018-06-07T19:20:13  <wumpus> I supose it's only boatloads slower on my stupid AMD system :)
373 2018-06-07T19:20:41  <cfields> sipa: ok, I'll look around for an impl on the net to copy from. I doubt I'd fare well myself, though :(
374 2018-06-07T19:20:46  *** Krellan has quit IRC
375 2018-06-07T19:21:02  <sipa> cfields: the asm code we have is derived from nasm code that's more readable
376 2018-06-07T19:21:05  <sipa> that may help
377 2018-06-07T19:21:13  <wumpus> but anyhow if anyone needs benchmarking of anything on AMD, just let me know
378 2018-06-07T19:21:21  <cfields> ok
379 2018-06-07T19:21:30  <cfields> wumpus: I'd prefer to merge before getting the AMD numbers :p
380 2018-06-07T19:21:51  <wumpus> cfields: I understand :p
381 2018-06-07T19:22:42  <gmaxwell> wumpus: have you seen if the mavx compiled SSE4 code is slower on your system? I wouldn't expect it to be.
382 2018-06-07T19:22:43  <wumpus> too bad I seem to collect them
383 2018-06-07T19:23:18  <cfields> gmaxwell: iirc he benched those and it was ~the same.
384 2018-06-07T19:23:34  <wumpus> gmaxwell: there was almost no difference with avx here
385 2018-06-07T19:23:44  <wumpus> it was very slightly faster
386 2018-06-07T19:23:48  <gmaxwell> odd.
387 2018-06-07T19:23:58  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
388 2018-06-07T19:24:03  <wumpus> looks like they go in to some emulation mode
389 2018-06-07T19:24:05  <cfields> right: https://0bin.net/paste/ReThQTAAWhKYfH7x#K99wDsZBBbtqEnc1N44e9UWz2E-t1y2jDhByhD8BBZe
390 2018-06-07T19:24:20  <gmaxwell> (odd because my understanding was that the 30% speedup from getting better register space, not from using any AVX instructions...)
391 2018-06-07T19:24:52  <sipa> gmaxwell: in AVX mode there literally is 2x more register space
392 2018-06-07T19:25:10  <sipa> but maybe that's not the reason for the speedup, i haven't analysed
393 2018-06-07T19:25:28  <sipa> still, i would be very surprised if equivalent code with intrinsics rather than asm is more than a few % slower
394 2018-06-07T19:25:37  <gmaxwell> We can take this discussion offline, but I don't completely agree. :)
395 2018-06-07T19:25:42  <sipa> ok!
396 2018-06-07T19:25:45  <wumpus> intrinsics should do very well, with modern SIMD instruction sets
397 2018-06-07T19:26:08  <wumpus> (they're pretty much designed to work well with them)
398 2018-06-07T19:26:21  <wumpus> but yes, it's getting a bit off topic
399 2018-06-07T19:26:42  <wumpus> #topic single-value args + multi-value args to override-args + config-args? (luke-jr)
400 2018-06-07T19:26:55  <sipa> luke-jr: elaborate
401 2018-06-07T19:27:08  <gmaxwell> I have cached skeptcisism mostly because compilers used to be VERY bad with register allocations for SIMD, resulting in a lot of code that is more complex than 'run this code 4x in parallel' not getting a speedup when hand asm hapily got a 3x speedup. I know they're much better now. So perhaps ignore me. :)
402 2018-06-07T19:27:21  <luke-jr> we used to have a map of arg name -> single value and arg name -> multiple values
403 2018-06-07T19:28:04  <luke-jr> it's been changed to arg name-> multiple values, but with two maps, one for config file, and one for command line options
404 2018-06-07T19:28:36  <luke-jr> it seems better to have config/commandline share maps
405 2018-06-07T19:28:37  <wumpus> gmaxwell: compilers seem to have become better with that, but I understand your skepticism
406 2018-06-07T19:29:16  <wumpus> gmaxwell: there's also the *optimizing for a specific CPU type* versus *optimizing it to be, on average, fast, for many families of CPUs* thing
407 2018-06-07T19:29:33  <luke-jr> this comes up because the change complicates how to implement rwconf
408 2018-06-07T19:30:40  <achow101> luke-jr: I think that change may be for qt settings interactions
409 2018-06-07T19:30:50  <wumpus> luke-jr: I'm not sure I know enough about this to understand the implications of this in practice
410 2018-06-07T19:30:59  <jnewbery> luke-jr: it was changed in #11862
411 2018-06-07T19:31:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11862 | Network specific conf sections by ajtowns · Pull Request #11862 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
412 2018-06-07T19:31:34  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
413 2018-06-07T19:31:38  <wumpus> whatever you do, please don't mess up the bitcoin-qt initialization order, the rest is fine with me :p
414 2018-06-07T19:31:56  <sipa> i think it would also be useful to make the arg information know whether a particular argument is single-value or multi-value
415 2018-06-07T19:32:16  <sipa> rather than have that information be at query time
416 2018-06-07T19:32:38  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
417 2018-06-07T19:32:39  <sipa> but i also don't understand the interactions well enough
418 2018-06-07T19:32:42  <sipa> aj: you here?
419 2018-06-07T19:32:43  <luke-jr> sipa: yes, I was thinking about that too
420 2018-06-07T19:32:48  <wumpus> #13389 kind of scared me
421 2018-06-07T19:32:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13389 | Utils and libraries: Fix #13371 - move umask operation earlier in AppInit() by n2yen · Pull Request #13389 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
422 2018-06-07T19:33:25  <luke-jr> the reason they're split one way or the other, is because the last command line option overrides the former ones, and the earlier config file overrides the later ones
423 2018-06-07T19:33:45  <wumpus> we don't have good tests for half of this stuff
424 2018-06-07T19:33:57  <luke-jr> so now when we do Get*Arg, the code is going for the end of the command line list, then the start of the config file list
425 2018-06-07T19:34:22  <luke-jr> (the altnerative being, to just parse into a single value at startup, and just access that map at runtime)
426 2018-06-07T19:35:48  <sipa> i feel like the right people aren't here to discuss that
427 2018-06-07T19:35:57  <wumpus> yes
428 2018-06-07T19:35:57  *** Krellan has quit IRC
429 2018-06-07T19:35:59  <luke-jr> maybe
430 2018-06-07T19:36:06  <sipa> it sounds reasonable what you're saying, but i don't know enough to really comment
431 2018-06-07T19:36:32  <wumpus> I agree
432 2018-06-07T19:37:11  <jnewbery> There's a lot of discussion and review in both #12878 and #11862. AJ also added really good code coverage in those PRs, so it should be pretty straightforward to follow
433 2018-06-07T19:37:14  <wumpus> other topics?
434 2018-06-07T19:37:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12878 | [refactor] Config handling refactoring in preparation for network-specific sections by ajtowns · Pull Request #12878 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
435 2018-06-07T19:37:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11862 | Network specific conf sections by ajtowns · Pull Request #11862 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
436 2018-06-07T19:37:20  <promag> it also sounds reasonable to encapsulate the arg chaining in a map lookup lookalike
437 2018-06-07T19:38:49  <wumpus> meh
438 2018-06-07T19:39:07  <luke-jr> sounds like either way I should start with tests
439 2018-06-07T19:39:15  <wumpus> personally I prefer method calls to just look like method calls, not operator overrides, in the common case
440 2018-06-07T19:40:05  <wumpus> luke-jr: yes! tests are always good
441 2018-06-07T19:41:42  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
442 2018-06-07T19:41:54  <wumpus> other topics?
443 2018-06-07T19:42:27  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
444 2018-06-07T19:42:34  <promag> actually I have a question
445 2018-06-07T19:43:10  <promag> #13374 and #13375
446 2018-06-07T19:43:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13374 | utils and libraries: checking for bitcoin address in translations by kaplanmaxe · Pull Request #13374 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
447 2018-06-07T19:43:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13375 | utils and libraries: address check in update-translations.py by undercoverGod · Pull Request #13375 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
448 2018-06-07T19:43:17  <wumpus> if you have a topic, just propose it, there's no need to tell that you have a question
449 2018-06-07T19:43:46  <promag> they are the same, why isn't one closed?
450 2018-06-07T19:44:18  <wumpus> because no one told me (or fanquake, or anyone) to?
451 2018-06-07T19:44:38  <wumpus> I do not have the capacity to pay attention to all PRs in parallel
452 2018-06-07T19:44:54  <promag> really? :P
453 2018-06-07T19:44:54  <sipa> we need to have an AVX2 wumpus
454 2018-06-07T19:45:00  <wumpus> sipa: +1
455 2018-06-07T19:45:04  <sipa> +8
456 2018-06-07T19:45:21  <sipa> end of meeting, i assume?
457 2018-06-07T19:45:26  <wumpus> yes
458 2018-06-07T19:45:28  <wumpus> #endmeeting
459 2018-06-07T19:45:28  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jun  7 19:45:28 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
460 2018-06-07T19:45:28  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-06-07-19.00.html
461 2018-06-07T19:45:28  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-06-07-19.00.txt
462 2018-06-07T19:45:28  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-06-07-19.00.log.html
463 2018-06-07T19:47:14  <BlueMatt> oh, quick comment: if you have had ideas about things you want to fork into the protocol in the future, *please* read https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bips/blob/betterhash/bip-XXXX.mediawiki and make sure that your ideas can be added without protocol modifications so that miners dont need firmware updates
464 2018-06-07T19:47:19  <BlueMatt> and pools wouldnt need to change
465 2018-06-07T19:47:38  <BlueMatt> obviously basic things like additional commitments especially via the witness reserved value are clearly supported
466 2018-06-07T19:48:30  <wumpus> promag: if people open "competing PRs" for the same issue that makes things more difficult
467 2018-06-07T19:49:00  <wumpus> instead of just reviewing code, you suddenly need to be judge of what is the best approach
468 2018-06-07T19:49:23  <promag> what are the odds to open competing PRs at the "same time"?
469 2018-06-07T19:49:36  <promag> right
470 2018-06-07T19:49:52  <wumpus> promag: it luckily doesn't happen too much!
471 2018-06-07T19:50:09  <promag> imo one of the authors (the last?) should review the other
472 2018-06-07T19:50:23  <promag> and close his own
473 2018-06-07T19:50:26  <wumpus> I like your approach, get them to cooporate intead of compete
474 2018-06-07T19:50:53  * luke-jr goes through the PR list, rewrites them, and opens new PRs to compete. jk
475 2018-06-07T19:51:37  <promag> luke-jr: in this case they are very very similar
476 2018-06-07T19:51:38  <wumpus> luke-jr: I know it, I shouldn't have given away this obvious DoS strategy
477 2018-06-07T19:52:01  <promag> it's not a rewrite like you say
478 2018-06-07T19:52:03  <luke-jr> wumpus: actually, if someone does try to DoS with it, it may end up improving our flow quickly
479 2018-06-07T19:52:08  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
480 2018-06-07T19:52:38  <wumpus> I'm... not going to say more about this, not giving people ideas :)
481 2018-06-07T19:53:07  <promag> wumpus: then feel free to review my PR
482 2018-06-07T19:53:14  <wumpus> promag: which one?
483 2018-06-07T19:53:39  <promag> all
484 2018-06-07T19:53:42  <promag> :|
485 2018-06-07T19:53:57  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
486 2018-06-07T19:54:06  <promag> unloadwallet
487 2018-06-07T19:54:27  <promag> in travis its failing with -with-incompatible-bdb i think
488 2018-06-07T19:54:56  <wumpus> lets' first see why travis is failing on it
489 2018-06-07T19:55:44  <promag> I'll
490 2018-06-07T19:55:57  <promag> .. to reproduce locally
491 2018-06-07T19:56:21  <wumpus> multiwallet failing on x86_64 linux platforms
492 2018-06-07T19:57:48  <promag> hm
493 2018-06-07T19:59:37  <wumpus> I'll try locally too, on AMD :p
494 2018-06-07T20:00:44  <promag> ty
495 2018-06-07T20:02:53  *** bitconner has quit IRC
496 2018-06-07T20:05:23  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2018-06-07T20:05:27  *** promag has quit IRC
498 2018-06-07T20:09:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] wodry opened pull request #13416: More precise explanation of parameter onlynet (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13416
499 2018-06-07T20:16:24  <wumpus> promag_: /home/orion/projects/bitcoin/bitcoin/src/qt/bitcoingui.cpp:122:5: warning: field 'spinnerFrame' will be initialized after field 'm_wallet_selector_label' [-Wreorder]
500 2018-06-07T20:17:55  <wumpus> (I think that's due to your change, I haven't seen it before)
501 2018-06-07T20:19:00  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
502 2018-06-07T20:21:05  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
503 2018-06-07T20:23:04  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
504 2018-06-07T20:23:27  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
505 2018-06-07T20:27:40  *** nmnkgl has quit IRC
506 2018-06-07T20:27:55  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
507 2018-06-07T20:28:17  *** nmnkgl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2018-06-07T20:31:09  *** clarkmoody has quit IRC
509 2018-06-07T20:32:17  *** nmnkgl has quit IRC
510 2018-06-07T20:33:43  <wumpus> promag_: I don't get the same crash locally
511 2018-06-07T20:33:57  *** promag_ is now known as promag
512 2018-06-07T20:34:30  <promag> regarding the warning, i'll fix
513 2018-06-07T20:35:14  <promag> strange
514 2018-06-07T20:36:41  <promag> mtt bug?
515 2018-06-07T20:37:21  <wumpus> mtt?
516 2018-06-07T20:37:29  <promag> multithread
517 2018-06-07T20:37:37  <promag> crash aside, a code review + concept ack would be nice
518 2018-06-07T20:38:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] skeees opened pull request #13417: [net] Tighten scope in net_processing (master...net_processing-disentangle) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13417
519 2018-06-07T20:43:25  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
520 2018-06-07T20:45:05  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
521 2018-06-07T20:45:55  *** gkgkgk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
522 2018-06-07T20:47:45  *** gkgkgk has quit IRC
523 2018-06-07T20:48:45  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
524 2018-06-07T20:48:56  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has quit IRC
525 2018-06-07T20:49:22  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
526 2018-06-07T21:00:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] wodry closed pull request #13416: More precise explanation of parameter onlynet (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13416
527 2018-06-07T21:06:00  *** jcohen has quit IRC
528 2018-06-07T21:06:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] wodry opened pull request #13418: More precise explanation of parameter onlynet (master...patch-2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13418
529 2018-06-07T21:13:51  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
530 2018-06-07T21:19:03  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
531 2018-06-07T21:22:19  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
532 2018-06-07T21:23:27  *** Krellan has quit IRC
533 2018-06-07T21:29:24  *** Cheeseo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
534 2018-06-07T21:29:58  <MarcoFalke> > <fanquake> MarcoFalke is your bot on GH somewhere?
535 2018-06-07T21:30:00  <MarcoFalke> Not yet
536 2018-06-07T21:32:47  *** nmnkgl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
537 2018-06-07T21:34:06  *** bitconner has quit IRC
538 2018-06-07T21:37:29  *** nmnkgl has quit IRC
539 2018-06-07T21:39:32  *** nmnkgl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2018-06-07T21:48:23  <jimpo> Why in BIP 141 is the coinbase witness stack restricted to 1 item instead of making the reserved value the entire witness?
541 2018-06-07T21:52:15  *** Cheeseo has quit IRC
542 2018-06-07T21:57:13  <sipa> jimpo: perhaps that was a mistake
543 2018-06-07T21:57:39  <sipa> the reasoning was that you only need 1 reserved value in each level to 'chain' a new piece of data necessary for consensus
544 2018-06-07T22:06:58  *** Giszmo has quit IRC
545 2018-06-07T22:09:25  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
546 2018-06-07T22:11:55  <jimpo> OK, thanks. Yeah, seems like it would just require more hash operations if it's linear in the number of levels/commitments.
547 2018-06-07T22:20:44  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
548 2018-06-07T22:23:05  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2018-06-07T22:27:03  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2018-06-07T22:29:57  *** Giszmo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
551 2018-06-07T22:32:56  *** nmnkgl has quit IRC
552 2018-06-07T22:40:36  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has quit IRC
553 2018-06-07T22:40:37  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
554 2018-06-07T22:45:25  *** Sinclair_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
555 2018-06-07T22:45:29  *** bitconner has quit IRC
556 2018-06-07T22:49:25  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
557 2018-06-07T22:49:40  *** hfdtfsuaiwhaiwoe has quit IRC
558 2018-06-07T22:50:00  *** snickerfritz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2018-06-07T22:51:00  *** snickerfritz_ has quit IRC
560 2018-06-07T22:51:00  *** snickerfritz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
561 2018-06-07T22:52:45  *** snickerfritz_ is now known as snickerfritz
562 2018-06-07T23:05:07  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
563 2018-06-07T23:05:45  *** nekotribal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2018-06-07T23:06:38  *** Aaronva__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
565 2018-06-07T23:07:13  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
566 2018-06-07T23:08:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
567 2018-06-07T23:09:35  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
568 2018-06-07T23:19:50  *** snickerfritz has quit IRC
569 2018-06-07T23:30:13  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2018-06-07T23:34:03  *** promag has quit IRC
571 2018-06-07T23:36:52  *** drexl has quit IRC
572 2018-06-07T23:52:43  *** snickerfritz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2018-06-07T23:52:51  *** Krellan has quit IRC
574 2018-06-07T23:56:25  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev