1 2018-08-09T00:05:35  *** rls has quit IRC
  2 2018-08-09T00:10:57  *** justanotherus3r has quit IRC
  3 2018-08-09T00:12:24  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2018-08-09T00:16:51  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
  5 2018-08-09T00:19:20  *** ju5tanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2018-08-09T00:46:12  *** promag has quit IRC
  7 2018-08-09T01:21:33  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
  8 2018-08-09T01:22:57  *** ken2812221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2018-08-09T01:34:03  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2018-08-09T01:39:22  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 11 2018-08-09T01:43:54  *** Emcy_ has quit IRC
 12 2018-08-09T02:11:06  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 13 2018-08-09T02:11:41  *** Jmabsd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2018-08-09T02:12:12  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2018-08-09T02:12:17  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2018-08-09T02:14:45  <Jmabsd> code question, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/script/interpreter.cpp#L1162  - when generating the sign text for OP_CHECKSIG, the code to produce the signtext with respect to one transaction output, is just " ::Serialize(s, txTo.vout[nOutput]);".
 17 2018-08-09T02:15:01  <Jmabsd> Where is the "Serialize" logics for the transaction output (CTxOut)?
 18 2018-08-09T02:59:16  *** ju5tanotheruser has quit IRC
 19 2018-08-09T03:01:09  *** hirish has quit IRC
 20 2018-08-09T03:11:45  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2018-08-09T03:22:25  <Jmabsd> Where in Bitcoin Core's code are the constraints on what scripts are allowed, implemented?        E.g., gossiped transaction's lock scripts must be either of P2PK, P2PKH, multisig, nulldata or P2SH in order to be considered valid and be gossiped?
 22 2018-08-09T03:29:43  *** rls has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2018-08-09T03:42:36  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 24 2018-08-09T03:43:44  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2018-08-09T03:45:49  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
 26 2018-08-09T03:47:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 27 2018-08-09T03:48:07  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2018-08-09T03:48:21  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 29 2018-08-09T03:49:21  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2018-08-09T03:54:20  *** justan0theruser is now known as justanotheruser
 31 2018-08-09T03:54:23  <aj> Jmabsd: src/policy/policy.cpp IsStandardTx might be what you want
 32 2018-08-09T03:55:29  <Jmabsd> aj: ah, so Bitcoin Core nodes will accept a nonstandard tx when it's in a block, but it will not accept them in gossiping, right?
 33 2018-08-09T03:57:30  <Jmabsd> aj: do you have any idea where Serialize for CTxOut is?
 34 2018-08-09T04:08:03  *** Jmabsd has quit IRC
 35 2018-08-09T04:09:51  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
 36 2018-08-09T04:24:40  *** andreip_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2018-08-09T04:30:32  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
 38 2018-08-09T04:45:55  *** G0tCrypt0C01ns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2018-08-09T05:01:09  *** G0tCrypt0C01ns has quit IRC
 40 2018-08-09T05:03:29  *** arubi has quit IRC
 41 2018-08-09T05:03:53  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2018-08-09T05:04:18  *** Jmabsd has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2018-08-09T05:12:46  <wumpus> Jmabsd: that's the definition of "non-standard", it is relay/mining policy not consensus policy
 44 2018-08-09T05:16:52  <Jmabsd> wumpus: a miner is free to receive nonstandard transactions, right?
 45 2018-08-09T05:17:03  <Jmabsd> and include in blocks, and all nodes will accept those blocks.
 46 2018-08-09T05:17:36  <Jmabsd> Where is the "Serialize" logics for the transaction output (CTxOut)?
 47 2018-08-09T05:19:45  *** andreip_ has quit IRC
 48 2018-08-09T05:19:54  <aj> Jmabsd: see primitives/transaction.h and serialize.h
 49 2018-08-09T05:22:13  <wumpus> a miner is free to do everything accepted by consensus
 50 2018-08-09T05:23:16  <wumpus> so yes, they can include non-standard transactions as long as they're valid in blocks
 51 2018-08-09T05:24:43  <Jmabsd> wumpus: interesting. cool.
 52 2018-08-09T05:24:50  *** jeffrufino has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2018-08-09T05:26:49  <Jmabsd> aj: ahh, CTxOut has a ADD_SERIALIZE_METHODS. got it.
 54 2018-08-09T05:31:23  <wumpus> indeed--classes implement their own serialization/deserialization
 55 2018-08-09T05:59:44  <aj> wumpus: in case i'm not awake for the meeting, topic suggestion: lower tx fees, pr #13922 :)
 56 2018-08-09T05:59:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13922 | Lower default relay fees by ajtowns · Pull Request #13922 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 57 2018-08-09T06:29:21  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 58 2018-08-09T06:29:49  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2018-08-09T06:30:17  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2018-08-09T06:35:50  <Jmabsd> wumpus: are only *output scripts* having the standard/nonstandard classification, or also *input scripts* and *P2SH redeem scripts* need to fit a particular template?
 61 2018-08-09T07:01:41  <sipa> Jmabsd: there are various standardness rules
 62 2018-08-09T07:02:06  <sipa> certain scriot opcodes are nonstandard when executed in a spend
 63 2018-08-09T07:02:21  <sipa> there are resource limits like sizes and signature check limits
 64 2018-08-09T07:02:57  <sipa> Jmabsd: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com may be a better place to ask these things
 65 2018-08-09T07:03:50  <Jmabsd> sipa: hm
 66 2018-08-09T07:15:13  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2018-08-09T07:25:35  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2018-08-09T07:43:47  *** ken2812221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2018-08-09T07:49:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 70 2018-08-09T07:50:15  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2018-08-09T08:01:57  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
 72 2018-08-09T08:03:08  *** ken2812221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2018-08-09T08:38:20  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2018-08-09T08:46:04  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
 75 2018-08-09T08:46:11  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 76 2018-08-09T09:10:31  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2018-08-09T09:11:10  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2018-08-09T09:17:17  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2018-08-09T09:29:54  *** Jmabsd has quit IRC
 80 2018-08-09T09:46:24  *** csknk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2018-08-09T09:56:25  *** Emcy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2018-08-09T10:32:00  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2018-08-09T10:38:18  <jonasschnelli> sipa: I that correct that the Cores existing ChaCha20 implementation is for RNG only? It doesn't do the XORing, right?
 84 2018-08-09T10:58:52  *** csknk has quit IRC
 85 2018-08-09T11:23:44  *** booyah has quit IRC
 86 2018-08-09T11:36:44  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
 87 2018-08-09T11:37:12  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2018-08-09T11:43:14  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 89 2018-08-09T11:51:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 90 2018-08-09T11:52:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2018-08-09T11:56:58  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2018-08-09T11:59:52  *** tryphe_ has quit IRC
 93 2018-08-09T12:01:57  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 94 2018-08-09T12:22:45  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
 95 2018-08-09T12:34:48  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 96 2018-08-09T12:35:35  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2018-08-09T12:35:57  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2018-08-09T12:51:02  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 99 2018-08-09T13:03:38  *** arubi has quit IRC
100 2018-08-09T13:04:31  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2018-08-09T13:11:19  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
102 2018-08-09T13:20:21  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
103 2018-08-09T13:22:38  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2018-08-09T13:25:28  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2018-08-09T13:32:26  *** csknk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2018-08-09T13:46:06  *** provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2018-08-09T13:51:30  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
108 2018-08-09T13:57:02  *** provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2018-08-09T14:00:57  *** opdenkamp has quit IRC
110 2018-08-09T14:04:02  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
111 2018-08-09T14:04:12  *** provoost- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2018-08-09T14:04:23  *** provoost- is now known as provoostenator
113 2018-08-09T14:05:55  *** opdenkamp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2018-08-09T14:10:30  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2018-08-09T14:14:51  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
116 2018-08-09T14:16:43  *** ExtraCrispy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2018-08-09T14:36:40  *** csknk has quit IRC
118 2018-08-09T14:45:04  *** schmidty has quit IRC
119 2018-08-09T14:46:05  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2018-08-09T14:54:00  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2018-08-09T15:01:09  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
122 2018-08-09T15:01:48  <gmaxwell> sipa: results from running 13907?
123 2018-08-09T15:13:16  <pierre_rochard> Hello, if anyone here has done a clang AST dump of the project, what command did you use? I'm interested in using python with libclang to traverse the AST
124 2018-08-09T15:14:28  <pierre_rochard> I've tried export CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -ast-dump"  && make, to no effect, not sure if I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole and google doesn't have salient results
125 2018-08-09T15:16:47  <pierre_rochard> searching the repo turned up this recent comment from skeees https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13815#issuecomment-409795628 which makes it sound like a material undertaking
126 2018-08-09T15:30:30  *** Krellan has quit IRC
127 2018-08-09T15:31:35  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2018-08-09T15:53:19  *** harrigan has quit IRC
129 2018-08-09T15:53:40  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2018-08-09T15:59:24  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2018-08-09T16:03:21  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
132 2018-08-09T16:07:27  *** Dizzle has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2018-08-09T16:27:47  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
134 2018-08-09T16:28:57  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2018-08-09T16:33:51  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2018-08-09T16:42:30  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2018-08-09T16:53:38  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2018-08-09T16:57:45  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
139 2018-08-09T17:00:40  *** Krellan has quit IRC
140 2018-08-09T17:05:03  <wumpus> pierre_rochard: I did some analysis of the bitcoin source using clang a long time ago, using the python clang bindings (clang.cindex)
141 2018-08-09T17:05:37  <wumpus> hooking any kind of analysis tool in the build system is a pain, so I manually provided include paths and such
142 2018-08-09T17:05:43  <pierre_rochard> wumpus: that's what I was hoping to use, after reading through this guide https://eli.thegreenplace.net/2011/07/03/parsing-c-in-python-with-clang
143 2018-08-09T17:05:46  <pierre_rochard> ah I see
144 2018-08-09T17:05:51  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
145 2018-08-09T17:08:45  <wumpus> cindex doesn't need it (it can parse on the fly through the API), but to add an analysis tool into the build system one way to do so is by creating a compiler wrapper that outputs both normal output and the metadata output (ast, bitcode, stats, etc). If it doesn't do the  former it will fail  when trying to link.
146 2018-08-09T17:09:01  <wumpus> I don't know if there's an official autotools-supported way
147 2018-08-09T17:09:21  <wumpus> like "call this tool as if you'd be calling a C/C++ compiler but don't touch the output"
148 2018-08-09T17:10:17  <wumpus> yes, that idea
149 2018-08-09T17:11:13  <pierre_rochard> ok in that case I'll try my hand at using cindex directly, instead of doing an ast dump and parsing that
150 2018-08-09T17:12:26  <wumpus> might be I even used the same guide :)
151 2018-08-09T17:12:49  <wumpus> yes, that's easier, I think, certainly initially
152 2018-08-09T17:16:43  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2018-08-09T17:24:26  <gmaxwell> sipa: grep logs!
154 2018-08-09T17:24:55  <sipa> jonasschnelli: right
155 2018-08-09T17:25:41  *** elkalamar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2018-08-09T17:39:27  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
157 2018-08-09T17:42:06  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2018-08-09T17:42:18  <sipa> gmaxwell: no 'locator' message in my log
159 2018-08-09T17:44:02  <gmaxwell> hurrah.
160 2018-08-09T17:44:10  <gmaxwell> sipa: you have net logging enabled, right?
161 2018-08-09T17:45:14  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2018-08-09T17:45:32  <sipa> gmaxwell: oh, no
163 2018-08-09T17:46:00  <sipa> -log=net ?
164 2018-08-09T17:46:30  <sipa> oh, -debug=net
165 2018-08-09T17:46:53  <gmaxwell> Right
166 2018-08-09T17:50:27  <pierre_rochard> wumpus:  got cindex working directly, thank you!
167 2018-08-09T17:54:27  *** vicenteH has quit IRC
168 2018-08-09T17:58:55  <wumpus> pierre_rochard: awesome
169 2018-08-09T18:02:08  *** Chatturga has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2018-08-09T18:02:22  *** timothy has quit IRC
171 2018-08-09T18:16:35  *** Dizzle has quit IRC
172 2018-08-09T18:29:05  <achow101> it seems like travis isn't triggering for some PRs
173 2018-08-09T18:37:39  <wumpus> which one?
174 2018-08-09T18:42:18  *** farmerwampum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2018-08-09T18:45:11  *** elkalamar has left #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2018-08-09T18:45:42  *** Taek has quit IRC
177 2018-08-09T18:50:46  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2018-08-09T18:54:38  *** csknk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2018-08-09T18:55:16  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2018-08-09T18:55:50  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2018-08-09T19:01:12  <sipa> meetung?
182 2018-08-09T19:02:24  <luke-jr> hi
183 2018-08-09T19:02:36  <instagibbs> #meeting
184 2018-08-09T19:02:47  <gmaxwell> Hi.
185 2018-08-09T19:02:47  <provoostenator> hi
186 2018-08-09T19:02:53  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2018-08-09T19:03:36  <jnewbery> hi
188 2018-08-09T19:04:18  <achow101> hi
189 2018-08-09T19:04:30  <meshcollider> Is wumpus here?
190 2018-08-09T19:04:47  <gmaxwell> now we must hunt the wumpus
191 2018-08-09T19:04:55  <Chatturga> hello
192 2018-08-09T19:05:11  <sipa> i'll act as pseudowumpus
193 2018-08-09T19:05:13  <sipa> #startmeeting
194 2018-08-09T19:05:13  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Aug  9 19:05:13 2018 UTC.  The chair is sipa. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
195 2018-08-09T19:05:13  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
196 2018-08-09T19:05:22  <sipa> topics?
197 2018-08-09T19:06:16  <sipa> we still have quite a few PRs marked 0.17
198 2018-08-09T19:06:36  <sipa> should we discuss low-R sigs?
199 2018-08-09T19:07:03  <achow101> +1
200 2018-08-09T19:07:08  <jonasschnelli> hi
201 2018-08-09T19:07:11  <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
202 2018-08-09T19:07:17  <meshcollider> hi
203 2018-08-09T19:07:20  <jnewbery> 01:59 < aj> wumpus: in case i'm not awake for the meeting, topic suggestion: lower tx fees, pr #13922 :)
204 2018-08-09T19:07:21  <meshcollider> +1
205 2018-08-09T19:07:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13922 | Lower default relay fees by ajtowns · Pull Request #13922 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
206 2018-08-09T19:08:17  <sipa> perhaps first let's ask around if there are things for 0.17 that deserve the milestone
207 2018-08-09T19:09:17  <sipa> i guess that's a no
208 2018-08-09T19:09:22  <sipa> #topic low-r signatures
209 2018-08-09T19:09:35  <Murch> hi
210 2018-08-09T19:09:40  <sipa> pull request #13666
211 2018-08-09T19:09:43  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13666 | Always create signatures with Low R values by achow101 · Pull Request #13666 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
212 2018-08-09T19:09:46  <wumpus> ohh sorry!
213 2018-08-09T19:10:06  <luke-jr> wumpus: too late, you're fired :p
214 2018-08-09T19:10:17  <wumpus> luke-jr: :p
215 2018-08-09T19:10:38  <sipa> one issue with the approach is that we need to guess whether signatures created by other software will be assumed to be 71 bytes as well
216 2018-08-09T19:10:49  <sipa> as brought up by wumpus in the PR
217 2018-08-09T19:11:05  <sipa> (for size estimation purposes)
218 2018-08-09T19:11:17  <wumpus> yes the size estimation is the only controversial part there imo
219 2018-08-09T19:11:29  <achow101> this is only a problem when we select watching-only inputs
220 2018-08-09T19:11:29  <sipa> as we're getting closer to branching off, i wonder if we shouldn't just punt on that
221 2018-08-09T19:11:32  <wumpus> obviously it's better to generate smaller signatures where possible
222 2018-08-09T19:11:52  <gmaxwell> well we could easily make the size estimate 71 for our keys, and 72 otherwise, and worry about the difference later.
223 2018-08-09T19:11:58  <sipa> achow101's code right now will assume 71 byte signatures if we have the keys for everything, and 72 in any other case
224 2018-08-09T19:12:12  <Murch> That seems safe.
225 2018-08-09T19:12:12  <wumpus> that heuristic makes sense I think
226 2018-08-09T19:12:17  <gmaxwell> that seems reasonable enough.
227 2018-08-09T19:12:34  <gmaxwell> even if we always estimated 72, I'd rather make the smaller signatures.
228 2018-08-09T19:12:43  <wumpus> exactly, it's kind-of independent
229 2018-08-09T19:12:51  <sipa> yes, i don't think the discussion is about whether or not to produce 71 byte signatures
230 2018-08-09T19:12:56  <sipa> we should always do so
231 2018-08-09T19:13:05  <achow101> imo estimating 72 bytes kind of defeats the purpose of producing 71 byte sigs
232 2018-08-09T19:13:15  <Murch> it doesn't
233 2018-08-09T19:13:17  <wumpus> it still takes less space in the block chain.
234 2018-08-09T19:13:18  <gmaxwell> achow101: might defeat _your_ purpose. :P
235 2018-08-09T19:13:22  <luke-jr> achow101: nah, you get value in feerate
236 2018-08-09T19:13:28  <Murch> You're still getting a higher effective fee rate and block space savings
237 2018-08-09T19:13:30  <wumpus> and you get better feerate, yep
238 2018-08-09T19:13:39  <gmaxwell> what wumpus said. it still economizes use of a public resource, and you still get higher priority.
239 2018-08-09T19:14:06  <sipa> in any case,
240 2018-08-09T19:14:10  <sipa> #action review 13666
241 2018-08-09T19:14:22  <sipa> it adds a bit of complexity by adding a second dummy signer
242 2018-08-09T19:14:27  <Murch> might save some 3kB per block or so.
243 2018-08-09T19:14:39  <Murch> If everyone did it
244 2018-08-09T19:15:16  <wumpus> yes
245 2018-08-09T19:15:33  * luke-jr wonders if we should look into getting rid of the Segwit dummy/flags too
246 2018-08-09T19:15:35  <provoostenator> You can always add a param to the RPC that says "assume 71 "
247 2018-08-09T19:15:42  *** csknk has quit IRC
248 2018-08-09T19:15:48  <luke-jr> ofc that doesn't affect the consensus limits, so not incentivised :/
249 2018-08-09T19:16:08  <sipa> well, thinking ahead, we may need that anyway - in case more complicated scripts are supported, the size may depend on what subset of signers is present
250 2018-08-09T19:16:16  <sipa> but that seems too late for 0.17
251 2018-08-09T19:16:24  <wumpus> provoostenator: I'm... not sure it's good to add such little implementation details to RPC, but maybe a more general fee estimation strategy can be exposed such way
252 2018-08-09T19:16:34  <wumpus> yes, definitely
253 2018-08-09T19:16:43  <provoostenator> Luckily the RPC is experimental
254 2018-08-09T19:16:47  <gmaxwell> rpc would be a bad place for it
255 2018-08-09T19:16:52  <sipa> or rather, we may need to add a way to pass in information about other signers to transaction creation RPS
256 2018-08-09T19:16:55  <sipa> RPCs
257 2018-08-09T19:16:59  <Murch> @provoostenator: I don't think that there is sufficient use of multi party transactions and savings to add a param for that.
258 2018-08-09T19:17:01  <gmaxwell> the right place would be as metadata on the keys/outputs in the wallet.
259 2018-08-09T19:17:12  <sipa> gmaxwell: how so?
260 2018-08-09T19:17:22  <sipa> ah yes, but the 71/72 thing - agree
261 2018-08-09T19:17:29  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
262 2018-08-09T19:18:23  <sipa> luke-jr: i don't know what you're referring to?
263 2018-08-09T19:18:24  <gmaxwell> sipa: just that the size of an scriptpubkey's signature is just a property of the private key(s).
264 2018-08-09T19:18:34  <sipa> gmaxwell: yes, indeed
265 2018-08-09T19:18:40  <gmaxwell> just like the pubkey part of the scriptsig being 65 or 33 bytes.
266 2018-08-09T19:19:57  <sipa> do we have other topics?
267 2018-08-09T19:20:01  <gmaxwell> in any case, for now its fine to just assume 72 unless we know otherwise. In the future we can be smarter.
268 2018-08-09T19:20:14  <Murch> the problem will be permanently solved by the new signature encoding that is proposed for Schnorr signatures anyway.
269 2018-08-09T19:20:18  <luke-jr> sipa: just that the dummy 2 bytes in every Segwit tx could be eliminated on the network/disk level, if we're trying to focus on micro-optimisations of space
270 2018-08-09T19:20:21  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
271 2018-08-09T19:20:39  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: far far better than that can be done.
272 2018-08-09T19:20:51  <sipa> luke-jr: sure; and much more than that, we should look into compressing all data on the wire
273 2018-08-09T19:20:58  <sipa> we have someone looking into that
274 2018-08-09T19:21:05  <meshcollider> You had a whole write-up on a compressed transaction format earlier didn't you
275 2018-08-09T19:21:23  <sipa> meshcollider: yes, there's a bunch of improvements and simplifications
276 2018-08-09T19:21:27  <sipa> which we haven't published
277 2018-08-09T19:21:46  <sipa> 19:07:19 < jnewbery> 01:59 < aj> wumpus: in case i'm not awake for the meeting, topic suggestion: lower tx fees, pr #13922 :)
278 2018-08-09T19:21:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13922 | Lower default relay fees by ajtowns · Pull Request #13922 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
279 2018-08-09T19:21:55  <sipa> #topic lower tx fees, pr 13922
280 2018-08-09T19:22:30  <Murch> "it changes the min tx fee to 200 s/B, and the incremental relay fee to 100 s/B" doesn't he mean s/kB?
281 2018-08-09T19:22:48  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2018-08-09T19:22:53  <gmaxwell> and is that kVB  not B?
283 2018-08-09T19:23:07  <jnewbery> (I don't have any input on this topic except to concept ACK the PR. Only relaying aj's earlier message)
284 2018-08-09T19:23:07  <Murch> yeah, kvB
285 2018-08-09T19:23:44  <gmaxwell> I feel pretty meh about dropping feerates. I guess 200 isn't that much of a change but at some level we get back in spamflood level land.
286 2018-08-09T19:23:57  <sipa> i have no opinion on this topic
287 2018-08-09T19:24:18  <luke-jr> it's low enough I don't care; I'd prefer to see users adopt changes manually rather than top-down default modifications, but meh
288 2018-08-09T19:24:31  <Murch> gmaxwell: I think that reducing the fee could drive some UTXO consolidation
289 2018-08-09T19:24:52  <gmaxwell> or cause waiting until it's dropped further.
290 2018-08-09T19:25:04  <luke-jr> Murch: if that's the goal, maybe it should explicitly look for that
291 2018-08-09T19:25:43  <Murch> I've observed that time preference signaling has improved a lot this year. One of our customers explicitly waited for us to allow a fee rate of 2 sats/B before consolidating.
292 2018-08-09T19:26:05  <Murch> If 0.2 sats/B were possible, I'd not be surprised to see some more of that.
293 2018-08-09T19:27:23  <gmaxwell> Well lets try it, but if things go wonky it can be set back.
294 2018-08-09T19:27:34  <Murch> We do have small fee spikes every now and then again. I think that we'd get a backlog of consolidations at least part of the time, hopefully consistently in the future.
295 2018-08-09T19:27:56  <Murch> The biggest issue is that most miners don't mine anything below 1 sats/B
296 2018-08-09T19:28:14  <gmaxwell> in terms of the patch, I'm not sure it's doing it correctly as is.  Basically we must lower relay and mining behavior before wallet... changing the estimator to allow low estimates before we know they reliably propagate will cause stuck users.
297 2018-08-09T19:28:21  <Murch> (showing as a solid backlog below 1 sat/B, even when blocks have space left)
298 2018-08-09T19:28:34  <luke-jr> Murch: well, if that's the case, it would be bad to drop relay fees lower
299 2018-08-09T19:28:59  <Murch> I don't follow.
300 2018-08-09T19:29:08  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: the theory is if the defaults change the behavior will too.
301 2018-08-09T19:29:08  <sipa> luke-jr: i'm sure miners don't allow below 1 vsat/B _because_ the network doesn't relay them
302 2018-08-09T19:29:36  <Murch> Ah I see.
303 2018-08-09T19:29:40  <gmaxwell> Murch: luke's point is that we shouldn't be relaying things that won't get mined.
304 2018-08-09T19:29:51  <Murch> Yeah, miners tend to lag behind on adoption of new versions
305 2018-08-09T19:30:10  <luke-jr> has anyone discussed this with any miners?
306 2018-08-09T19:30:18  <Murch> It would already help if we found a few percent of the hash rate that tells us they would support it
307 2018-08-09T19:30:34  <luke-jr> Murch: this is a matter of policy, not versions. defaults are just defaults.
308 2018-08-09T19:30:41  <sipa> so 1) reduce the minimum feerate the mining code works at 2) if/when that gets adopted, start relaying below 1 3) if/when that gets adopted, make fee estimation work with it
309 2018-08-09T19:30:59  <Murch> My suspicion is that most miners don't much fiddle with defaults.
310 2018-08-09T19:31:31  <Murch> seems like a reasonable order of things
311 2018-08-09T19:32:00  <luke-jr> Murch: they should. this is their job, not developers'
312 2018-08-09T19:32:30  <gmaxwell> can we not have this debate here and now.
313 2018-08-09T19:32:34  <provoostenator> My main concern with allowing sub 1 satoshi / vbyte fees is that - when fees are low - there's going to be a good chance the users transaction doesn't propagate.
314 2018-08-09T19:32:37  <gmaxwell> it's really tedious.
315 2018-08-09T19:32:46  <Murch> luke-jr: IF they were engaging at that level of the technology, they wouldn't be running mining operations of RaspberryPis, lag behind multiple versions causing orphans, and similar things.
316 2018-08-09T19:33:13  <gmaxwell> provoostenator: that was my comment above, relay/mining behavior needs to change ahead of wallet behavior, they can't both change at once.
317 2018-08-09T19:34:09  <provoostenator> gmaxwell: ah I see, by keeping the wallet minimum at 1 sat / byte, that makes sense.
318 2018-08-09T19:34:11  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, mining needs to change, then relay, then wallet
319 2018-08-09T19:34:19  <phantomcircuit> but none of the first two have a reason to change without the later
320 2018-08-09T19:34:20  <phantomcircuit> sooo
321 2018-08-09T19:34:21  <achow101> gmaxwell: so at best, this would need to be deployed across two versions
322 2018-08-09T19:34:39  <gmaxwell> achow101: yes.
323 2018-08-09T19:34:41  <wumpus> at least
324 2018-08-09T19:34:47  <achow101> which means, at this point, it's a year and a half out
325 2018-08-09T19:34:59  <achow101> and by then, who knows what fees will be like
326 2018-08-09T19:34:59  <luke-jr> they can be minor versions
327 2018-08-09T19:35:00  <phantomcircuit> achow101, and realistically miners do change the defaults so...
328 2018-08-09T19:35:01  <wumpus> it depends, we can see the adoption
329 2018-08-09T19:35:30  <wumpus> and decide when (if ever) the wallet part can go in
330 2018-08-09T19:35:32  <gmaxwell> as luke-jr says. also users can locally override their wallets once they know that lower rates will confirm.
331 2018-08-09T19:35:37  <wumpus> yes
332 2018-08-09T19:35:59  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: we can handle some things getting relayed that don't get mined at least... (now, not so much years ago)
333 2018-08-09T19:36:07  <Murch> phantomcircuit: It's enough if a portion of the hashrate adopts the change to make it's use a viable strategy for low time-preference txes.
334 2018-08-09T19:37:04  <Murch> Talking to miners would be a good idea
335 2018-08-09T19:37:39  <gmaxwell> I'd really like it if there wouldn't need to be these thresholds at all, but unfortunately, solving making it all automatic seems excessively hard.
336 2018-08-09T19:38:14  <gmaxwell> In any case, I'd review and ack a split up that moved the relay/mining defaults and left the wallet parts up for a later version.
337 2018-08-09T19:40:45  <sipa> any other topics?
338 2018-08-09T19:40:46  <Murch> So, pseudowumpus sipa, anything else on your agenda?
339 2018-08-09T19:41:04  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: I thought the current PR already left wallet alone
340 2018-08-09T19:41:09  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, automating all these levels would be vastly simplified by efficient mempool sync
341 2018-08-09T19:41:13  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: ah, haven't checked.
342 2018-08-09T19:41:14  <phantomcircuit> which im sure you know :P
343 2018-08-09T19:41:36  <sipa> phantomcircuit: you can't automate the decision on incremental relay feerate
344 2018-08-09T19:41:45  <sipa> as it's not mempool dependent but bandwidth cost dependent
345 2018-08-09T19:42:47  <sipa> wumpus: you have any other topics?
346 2018-08-09T19:43:00  <luke-jr> sipa: not your own nodes cost directly, though? since you're not getting paid for it; so measuring bandwidth availability may be sufficient?
347 2018-08-09T19:43:42  <wumpus> nope!
348 2018-08-09T19:43:43  <sipa> luke-jr: if you'd set it to 0, you can be pushed into arbitrarily high bandwidth usage by an attacker
349 2018-08-09T19:43:50  <wumpus> the 0.17 list basically
350 2018-08-09T19:44:17  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: for incremental, it's relatively important that the behavior be consistent. Thats largely at odds with automating it, unfortunately.
351 2018-08-09T19:44:36  <sipa> yeah, let's just take further discussion to the individual PRs
352 2018-08-09T19:44:38  <sipa> #endmeeting
353 2018-08-09T19:44:38  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Aug  9 19:44:38 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
354 2018-08-09T19:44:38  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-09-19.05.html
355 2018-08-09T19:44:38  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-09-19.05.txt
356 2018-08-09T19:44:38  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-09-19.05.log.html
357 2018-08-09T19:44:49  <wumpus> #13808 certainly needs more review
358 2018-08-09T19:44:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13808 | wallet: shuffle coins before grouping, where warranted by kallewoof · Pull Request #13808 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
359 2018-08-09T19:44:52  <luke-jr> sipa: right, but if you set it to some formula based on measured bandwidth available..
360 2018-08-09T19:45:17  <wumpus> if not, I'd be inclined to postpone it
361 2018-08-09T19:45:49  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: measuring bandwidth is basically intractable. :)
362 2018-08-09T19:46:47  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: could also query the network router for that info in theory
363 2018-08-09T19:47:37  <gmaxwell> which is will virtually never know...
364 2018-08-09T19:47:37  <sipa> and your ISP's cost, and the bitcoin exchange rate?
365 2018-08-09T19:48:08  <luke-jr> sipa: you're not receiving the tx fee, so just a general cost estimate should be good enough I would think?
366 2018-08-09T19:48:34  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
367 2018-08-09T19:48:55  <luke-jr> maybe not perfect, but probably better than manually adjusting defaults on the current level
368 2018-08-09T19:50:52  <gmaxwell> sipa: so, now that you're logging right, any results?
369 2018-08-09T19:51:21  <sipa> 2018-08-09T18:55:00.534227Z getblocks locator size 101 > 64, disconnect peer=414
370 2018-08-09T19:52:41  <sipa> 2018-08-09T18:55:00.301077Z receive version message: /bitcoinj:0.14.7/Bitcoin Wallet:6.28/: version 70001, blocks=535894, us=127.0.0.1:8333, peer=414
371 2018-08-09T19:54:16  <gmaxwell> So, as evoskuil said, 101 though.. not 100.  Moronic behavior. So, should I just back the PR off to 101?
372 2018-08-09T19:58:53  *** promag has quit IRC
373 2018-08-09T19:59:40  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2018-08-09T20:02:13  *** Murch has quit IRC
375 2018-08-09T20:07:40  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
376 2018-08-09T20:07:56  *** csknk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
377 2018-08-09T20:15:03  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
378 2018-08-09T20:23:02  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
379 2018-08-09T20:24:15  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
380 2018-08-09T20:28:10  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
381 2018-08-09T20:29:10  *** Chatturga has quit IRC
382 2018-08-09T20:34:45  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
383 2018-08-09T20:35:38  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
384 2018-08-09T20:45:06  *** Murch has quit IRC
385 2018-08-09T20:49:05  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
386 2018-08-09T20:52:40  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
387 2018-08-09T20:55:40  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
388 2018-08-09T20:58:52  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
389 2018-08-09T21:01:32  *** clarkmoody has quit IRC
390 2018-08-09T21:09:37  *** Murchone has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2018-08-09T21:09:43  *** Murchone has quit IRC
392 2018-08-09T21:11:44  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
393 2018-08-09T21:12:56  *** csknk has quit IRC
394 2018-08-09T21:24:30  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
395 2018-08-09T21:24:46  *** Murch has quit IRC
396 2018-08-09T21:25:52  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
397 2018-08-09T21:45:59  *** Murch has quit IRC
398 2018-08-09T21:49:06  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
399 2018-08-09T21:50:45  *** Murch has quit IRC
400 2018-08-09T21:51:43  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
401 2018-08-09T21:57:28  *** roshii has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
402 2018-08-09T21:59:57  *** arubi has quit IRC
403 2018-08-09T22:00:25  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
404 2018-08-09T22:00:36  *** Murch has quit IRC
405 2018-08-09T22:02:48  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
406 2018-08-09T22:19:02  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
407 2018-08-09T22:20:11  <gmaxwell> [ot, an outright backdoor in VIA C3 cpu] https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/rosenbridge
408 2018-08-09T22:32:40  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
409 2018-08-09T22:38:42  *** vicenteH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
410 2018-08-09T22:41:51  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
411 2018-08-09T22:43:54  *** masonicboom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2018-08-09T22:52:43  *** Cogito_Ergo_Sum has quit IRC
413 2018-08-09T23:10:48  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
414 2018-08-09T23:15:49  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
415 2018-08-09T23:25:38  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
416 2018-08-09T23:26:48  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
417 2018-08-09T23:49:27  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
418 2018-08-09T23:52:51  *** masonicboom has quit IRC
419 2018-08-09T23:53:30  *** goatpig has quit IRC