1 2018-08-30T00:01:19  *** vexbuy_ has quit IRC
  2 2018-08-30T00:02:28  *** harrymm_ has quit IRC
  3 2018-08-30T00:02:30  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2018-08-30T00:02:31  *** leishman has quit IRC
  5 2018-08-30T00:03:05  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2018-08-30T00:05:11  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2018-08-30T00:07:18  *** leishman has quit IRC
  8 2018-08-30T00:09:34  *** harrymm has quit IRC
  9 2018-08-30T00:21:49  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2018-08-30T00:22:36  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2018-08-30T00:24:17  *** peevsie has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2018-08-30T00:26:58  *** leishman has quit IRC
 13 2018-08-30T00:48:49  *** promag has quit IRC
 14 2018-08-30T01:10:39  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 15 2018-08-30T01:16:06  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 16 2018-08-30T01:25:28  *** zivl has quit IRC
 17 2018-08-30T01:30:30  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2018-08-30T01:30:54  *** schmidty is now known as Guest76245
 19 2018-08-30T01:32:19  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2018-08-30T01:36:44  *** leishman has quit IRC
 21 2018-08-30T01:41:04  *** peevsie has quit IRC
 22 2018-08-30T01:41:07  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2018-08-30T01:41:54  *** Guest76245 has quit IRC
 24 2018-08-30T01:53:27  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 25 2018-08-30T01:56:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
 26 2018-08-30T01:57:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2018-08-30T02:05:52  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2018-08-30T02:10:36  *** leishman has quit IRC
 29 2018-08-30T02:20:41  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2018-08-30T02:26:57  *** BillSmith4lyfe has quit IRC
 31 2018-08-30T02:27:17  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2018-08-30T02:33:36  *** BillSmith4lyfe has quit IRC
 33 2018-08-30T02:34:28  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2018-08-30T02:40:26  *** BillSmith4lyfe has quit IRC
 35 2018-08-30T02:41:15  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2018-08-30T02:47:33  *** BillSmith4lyfe has quit IRC
 37 2018-08-30T02:47:52  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2018-08-30T02:48:29  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2018-08-30T02:54:26  *** BillSmith4lyfe has quit IRC
 40 2018-08-30T02:54:49  *** BillSmith4lyfe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2018-08-30T03:01:15  *** leishman has quit IRC
 42 2018-08-30T03:01:50  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2018-08-30T03:04:49  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2018-08-30T03:11:04  *** shesek has quit IRC
 45 2018-08-30T03:11:04  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
 46 2018-08-30T03:16:13  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2018-08-30T03:21:30  *** leishman has quit IRC
 48 2018-08-30T03:21:44  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2018-08-30T03:23:00  *** leishman has quit IRC
 50 2018-08-30T03:23:36  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2018-08-30T03:23:49  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2018-08-30T03:30:34  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 53 2018-08-30T03:31:07  *** valwal has quit IRC
 54 2018-08-30T03:32:20  *** leishman has quit IRC
 55 2018-08-30T03:32:33  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2018-08-30T03:46:14  *** peevsie has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2018-08-30T04:07:37  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2018-08-30T04:08:15  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 59 2018-08-30T04:08:32  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2018-08-30T04:10:04  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 61 2018-08-30T04:10:31  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2018-08-30T04:12:33  *** jarthur has quit IRC
 63 2018-08-30T04:26:22  *** plankers has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2018-08-30T04:53:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2018-08-30T05:02:06  *** plankers has quit IRC
 66 2018-08-30T05:05:36  *** peevsie has quit IRC
 67 2018-08-30T05:17:09  *** plankers has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2018-08-30T05:21:35  *** plankers has quit IRC
 69 2018-08-30T05:21:48  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 70 2018-08-30T05:27:51  *** D00M has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2018-08-30T05:32:35  *** leishman has quit IRC
 72 2018-08-30T05:32:48  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2018-08-30T05:45:34  *** bitconner has quit IRC
 74 2018-08-30T05:48:30  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 75 2018-08-30T05:50:24  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2018-08-30T06:07:35  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2018-08-30T06:09:56  *** leishman has quit IRC
 78 2018-08-30T06:12:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2018-08-30T06:12:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fingera opened pull request #14102: export der always compressed (master...3-export-der) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14102
 80 2018-08-30T06:12:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2018-08-30T06:20:16  *** vexbuy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2018-08-30T06:20:36  <wumpus> huh
 83 2018-08-30T06:21:16  <wumpus> why... create a PR like that without any motivation whatsoever
 84 2018-08-30T06:23:16  <Randolf> Looks like a bit of debug output added, plus changing use from a constant to a variable.  Using the constant seems to be a better choice to me because with the constant it's more clear what the compression mode is.
 85 2018-08-30T06:24:40  <Randolf> Oh, hang on, it's not debug output.  It's getting rid of a warning.  This PR seems pointless indeed.
 86 2018-08-30T06:29:01  *** ossifrage has quit IRC
 87 2018-08-30T06:36:22  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2018-08-30T06:40:30  *** leishman has quit IRC
 89 2018-08-30T06:44:08  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2018-08-30T06:45:01  *** vexbuy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2018-08-30T06:48:27  *** vexbuy has quit IRC
 92 2018-08-30T06:55:46  *** ossifrage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2018-08-30T06:57:42  <ossifrage> Bloody fios had an outage and I lost my IP again, so much for having a well connected node :-(
 94 2018-08-30T06:59:07  *** vexbuy_ has quit IRC
 95 2018-08-30T07:10:34  *** owowo has quit IRC
 96 2018-08-30T07:18:03  *** vicnicius has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2018-08-30T07:18:11  <gmaxwell> he's saying the der format private key always wrote the embedded pubkey in compressed form.
 98 2018-08-30T07:18:13  <gmaxwell> I think.
 99 2018-08-30T07:18:46  <gmaxwell> Though considering thats just used inside the wallet and the compressed form is smaller, I think that the current behavior is desirable.
100 2018-08-30T07:19:04  <gmaxwell> but perhaps he knows some reason why it isn't.
101 2018-08-30T07:21:50  *** vicnicius has quit IRC
102 2018-08-30T07:31:42  *** kallewoof has quit IRC
103 2018-08-30T07:35:21  <wumpus> let's hope they manage to explain
104 2018-08-30T07:35:40  *** ChanServ sets mode: -o wumpus
105 2018-08-30T07:37:08  * wumpus feels like killing account system today, let's get some reviews on #13825
106 2018-08-30T07:37:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13825 | [wallet] Kill accounts by jnewbery · Pull Request #13825 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
107 2018-08-30T07:40:40  <wumpus> that PR is pretty much dead code removal (the actual functionality was already removed in an earlier PR) so it should be a more or less easy review
108 2018-08-30T07:45:24  *** rhavar has quit IRC
109 2018-08-30T07:47:44  *** kallewoof has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
110 2018-08-30T07:58:47  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: kill it!
111 2018-08-30T07:59:51  *** Krellan has quit IRC
112 2018-08-30T08:00:34  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2018-08-30T08:10:19  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2018-08-30T08:10:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2018-08-30T08:10:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #14103: Fix broken Doxygen comments (master...doxygen-cleanups) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14103
116 2018-08-30T08:10:19  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2018-08-30T08:10:19  *** D00M has quit IRC
118 2018-08-30T08:10:19  *** nickler_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2018-08-30T08:10:19  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: ack it please :)
120 2018-08-30T08:10:20  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: I did my utACK (hope that is enought)
121 2018-08-30T08:10:20  *** murchandamus1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2018-08-30T08:10:20  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: oh! hadn't seen yet
123 2018-08-30T08:10:20  <jonasschnelli> Greg did also
124 2018-08-30T08:10:33  *** nickler has quit IRC
125 2018-08-30T08:10:33  *** murchandamus has quit IRC
126 2018-08-30T08:12:53  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2018-08-30T08:26:50  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2018-08-30T08:37:36  *** bitconner has quit IRC
129 2018-08-30T08:42:57  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
130 2018-08-30T08:43:47  *** kallewoof has quit IRC
131 2018-08-30T08:44:17  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2018-08-30T08:47:12  *** kallewoof has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2018-08-30T09:00:35  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
134 2018-08-30T09:01:50  *** Rootsudo has quit IRC
135 2018-08-30T09:03:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2018-08-30T09:03:05  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2018-08-30T09:04:12  *** _flow_ has quit IRC
138 2018-08-30T09:06:01  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2018-08-30T09:49:52  *** Rootsudo has quit IRC
140 2018-08-30T09:56:51  *** JackH has quit IRC
141 2018-08-30T09:59:02  <wumpus> appveyor is doing its thing again (failing on every PR)
142 2018-08-30T10:01:04  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2018-08-30T10:01:05  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4e9a6f87b7d2...be301a577776
144 2018-08-30T10:01:06  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0e534d4 practicalswift: Fix incorrect Doxygen comments
145 2018-08-30T10:01:06  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master be301a5 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14103: docs: Fix broken Doxygen comments...
146 2018-08-30T10:01:07  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2018-08-30T10:02:15  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-08-30T10:02:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14103: docs: Fix broken Doxygen comments (master...doxygen-cleanups) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14103
149 2018-08-30T10:02:15  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2018-08-30T10:05:18  <wumpus> okay, we should definitely discuss -noX versus -X=0 in the meeting, this is driving me crazy
151 2018-08-30T10:05:25  <wumpus> #14100
152 2018-08-30T10:05:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14100 | doc: Change documentation for =0 for non-boolean options by laanwj · Pull Request #14100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
153 2018-08-30T10:06:59  <wumpus> I still hold to my original belief at the beginning of that PR that -X=0 for *non-boolean* options is ambigious, and we should encourage -noX, but it seems the code base is moving in the other direction
154 2018-08-30T10:07:23  <wumpus> does
155 2018-08-30T10:07:39  <wumpus> "nodebuglogfile" work at all in bitcoin.conf?
156 2018-08-30T10:10:09  <wumpus> (no, doesn't seem to work)
157 2018-08-30T10:12:21  <wumpus> oh it does if you specify nodebuglogfile=1
158 2018-08-30T10:12:45  *** promag has quit IRC
159 2018-08-30T10:16:43  *** belcher_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2018-08-30T10:24:07  *** Emcy has quit IRC
161 2018-08-30T10:27:13  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2018-08-30T10:30:55  <ken2812221_> I am trying to switch from msvc to autotool on appveyor, hope that it won't fail with weird reason again.
163 2018-08-30T10:33:08  <ken2812221_> But this would drop CI for MSVC.
164 2018-08-30T10:33:42  <ken2812221_> I'm not sure if it is a good idea.
165 2018-08-30T10:34:03  *** SopaXorzTaker has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2018-08-30T10:34:06  *** kallewoof has quit IRC
167 2018-08-30T10:34:43  <wumpus> it's just, from a maintenance perspective, that two CI testing systems that can fail for seemingly random reasons is even more frustrating then one
168 2018-08-30T10:35:40  *** kallewoof has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2018-08-30T10:36:14  <wumpus> theoretically I agree testing with MSVC good, but in practice, I end up ignoring it because most of the time the failures make no sense
170 2018-08-30T10:37:03  <wumpus> and it is another huge log file to scroll through :-(
171 2018-08-30T10:37:26  <wumpus> ...slowly and sometimes crashing the browser
172 2018-08-30T10:37:46  <wumpus> wish that CI tools were smart enough to simply report what the problem was
173 2018-08-30T10:39:05  <ken2812221_> I believe we just have to clear the build cache. It will work again as well.
174 2018-08-30T10:40:54  <ken2812221_> I clear the cache on my appveyor project, the build result turns out green.
175 2018-08-30T10:42:28  <ken2812221_> Actually, we could add build matrix to both test mingw and msvc binaries. But it would be really slow.
176 2018-08-30T10:42:41  <wumpus> we already test mingw in travis
177 2018-08-30T10:42:57  <wumpus> I don't think it's necessary to do this in appveyor too
178 2018-08-30T10:43:03  <ken2812221_> But no functional test.
179 2018-08-30T10:43:16  <wumpus> that's simply because they don't pass at the moment
180 2018-08-30T10:43:26  <wumpus> they were enabled at some point in the past
181 2018-08-30T10:43:40  <wumpus> but they're flaky
182 2018-08-30T10:44:44  <ken2812221_> I'm trying to solve this problem on #14007
183 2018-08-30T10:44:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14007 | tests: Run functional test on Windows by ken2812221 · Pull Request #14007 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
184 2018-08-30T10:45:38  <wumpus> okay on travis they ran in wine, instead of windows
185 2018-08-30T10:48:25  <ken2812221_> Yes, we should test it on real Windows.
186 2018-08-30T10:48:56  <wumpus> but yes mingw on windows is really, really slow
187 2018-08-30T10:49:11  <wumpus> (in compile time)
188 2018-08-30T10:49:45  <wumpus> anyhow if clearing the cache works, let's do that
189 2018-08-30T10:51:41  <ken2812221_> https://github.com/krlmlr/r-appveyor/issues/98#issuecomment-395123720  I believe that this is the easiest way to clear cache, appveyor does not have "clear cache" button.
190 2018-08-30T10:52:06  <wumpus> ooh apparently I can log in as drahtbot into appveyor
191 2018-08-30T10:52:27  <wumpus> maybe it means I can do things like clear the cache now
192 2018-08-30T10:53:12  <wumpus> ok thank you
193 2018-08-30T10:54:01  <wumpus> hehe the mozilla javascript console blocks pasting by default, with a warning about scams, makes sense
194 2018-08-30T10:54:24  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
195 2018-08-30T10:54:54  <wumpus> so in my case this would be https://ci.appveyor.com/api/projects/DrahtBot/bitcoin/buildcache , hope it worked
196 2018-08-30T10:55:32  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2018-08-30T10:58:48  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2018-08-30T10:59:03  <ken2812221_> Seems it does not work, maybe it should be done by MarcoFalke
199 2018-08-30T10:59:24  <wumpus> sigh--
200 2018-08-30T11:03:21  *** zivl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2018-08-30T11:06:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2018-08-30T11:07:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2018-08-30T11:07:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #14105: util: Report parse errors in configuration file (master...2018_08_parse_error_reporting) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14105
204 2018-08-30T11:07:56  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2018-08-30T11:10:09  *** sipa has quit IRC
206 2018-08-30T11:13:52  *** Randolf has quit IRC
207 2018-08-30T11:15:30  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2018-08-30T11:23:29  *** promag has quit IRC
209 2018-08-30T11:35:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2018-08-30T11:35:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mkjekk opened pull request #14106: 0.17 (master...0.17) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14106
211 2018-08-30T11:35:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2018-08-30T11:37:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2018-08-30T11:37:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14106: 0.17 (master...0.17) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14106
214 2018-08-30T11:37:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2018-08-30T11:41:23  *** roban has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2018-08-30T11:45:56  *** roban has left #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2018-08-30T11:54:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2018-08-30T11:54:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/be301a577776...6c7cfc8da68a
219 2018-08-30T11:54:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master db5e9d3 practicalswift: Add missing locks (cs_args)
220 2018-08-30T11:54:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d58dc9f practicalswift: Add lock annotations (cs_args)
221 2018-08-30T11:54:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1e29379 practicalswift: Fix potential deadlock
222 2018-08-30T11:54:48  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2018-08-30T11:55:17  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2018-08-30T11:55:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13126: util: Add Clang thread safety annotations for variables guarded by cs_args (master...guarded-by-cs_args) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13126
225 2018-08-30T11:55:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2018-08-30T11:55:47  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
227 2018-08-30T11:55:53  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2018-08-30T11:58:55  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2018-08-30T11:58:56  *** _flow_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
230 2018-08-30T12:05:52  *** kallewoof has quit IRC
231 2018-08-30T12:18:09  *** kallewoof has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2018-08-30T12:24:32  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2018-08-30T12:34:48  *** booyah has quit IRC
234 2018-08-30T12:35:06  *** Rootsudo has quit IRC
235 2018-08-30T12:36:36  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2018-08-30T12:36:40  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2018-08-30T12:37:22  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2018-08-30T12:38:10  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2018-08-30T12:39:42  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2018-08-30T12:41:05  *** thib has quit IRC
241 2018-08-30T12:43:44  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
242 2018-08-30T12:45:01  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2018-08-30T12:47:44  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2018-08-30T12:52:16  *** leishman has quit IRC
245 2018-08-30T12:53:39  *** promag has quit IRC
246 2018-08-30T13:01:48  <ken2812221_> OK, appveyor cache cleared.
247 2018-08-30T13:04:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2018-08-30T13:04:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 closed pull request #13515: travis: avoid timeout without saving caches, also enable all qt (master...travis_qt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13515
249 2018-08-30T13:04:51  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2018-08-30T13:07:46  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2018-08-30T13:08:51  *** brianhoffman has left #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2018-08-30T13:10:21  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2018-08-30T13:12:27  *** belcher_ has quit IRC
254 2018-08-30T13:12:47  *** belcher_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2018-08-30T13:13:40  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2018-08-30T13:13:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #14107: wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination (master...deadc0de) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14107
257 2018-08-30T13:13:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2018-08-30T13:18:45  *** promag has quit IRC
259 2018-08-30T13:23:58  *** odk has quit IRC
260 2018-08-30T13:26:49  *** belcher_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2018-08-30T13:53:02  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
262 2018-08-30T13:54:08  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2018-08-30T13:54:40  *** vexbuy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2018-08-30T14:06:15  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2018-08-30T14:06:15  *** shesek has quit IRC
266 2018-08-30T14:06:15  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2018-08-30T14:11:10  *** Krellan has quit IRC
268 2018-08-30T14:11:58  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2018-08-30T14:11:59  *** abrarisme has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2018-08-30T14:19:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2018-08-30T14:19:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/6c7cfc8da68a...07033a8f9197
272 2018-08-30T14:19:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c9c32e6 John Newbery: [wallet] Kill accounts...
273 2018-08-30T14:19:16  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 07033a8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13825: [wallet] Kill accounts...
274 2018-08-30T14:19:16  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2018-08-30T14:19:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2018-08-30T14:19:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #14107: wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination (master...deadc0de) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14107
277 2018-08-30T14:19:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2018-08-30T14:20:49  *** peevsie has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2018-08-30T14:21:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2018-08-30T14:21:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13825: [wallet] Kill accounts (master...kill_accounts) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13825
281 2018-08-30T14:21:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2018-08-30T14:23:53  <instagibbs> MarcoFalke, sorry for noob but why you close #14107 ? Doesn't say there's a merge conflict?
283 2018-08-30T14:23:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14107 | wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination by practicalswift · Pull Request #14107 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
284 2018-08-30T14:26:12  <wumpus> I think it's included in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/c9c32e6b844fc79467b7e24c6c916142a0d08484
285 2018-08-30T14:28:29  <instagibbs> ah ok
286 2018-08-30T14:29:51  <wumpus> if a commit does exactly the same as a previous commit and is anchored at a point before the change was done, I don't think you get a merge conflict
287 2018-08-30T14:30:03  <wumpus> it's still useless to do of course :)
288 2018-08-30T14:32:31  *** abrarisme has quit IRC
289 2018-08-30T14:34:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2018-08-30T14:34:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #14108: tests: Add missing locking annotations and locks (master...mapOrphanTransactions-is-guarded-by-g_cs_orphans) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14108
291 2018-08-30T14:34:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2018-08-30T14:41:32  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2018-08-30T14:43:45  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2018-08-30T14:44:45  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
295 2018-08-30T14:47:28  <hebasto> luke-jr: regarding PR#14037: I've received your review by email but can't see it on GitHub.
296 2018-08-30T14:47:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14037 | Add README.md to linux release tarballs by hebasto · Pull Request #14037 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
297 2018-08-30T14:53:19  *** vexbuy has quit IRC
298 2018-08-30T14:53:57  *** vexbuy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2018-08-30T14:58:04  *** Krellan has quit IRC
300 2018-08-30T14:58:27  *** vexbuy has quit IRC
301 2018-08-30T14:59:12  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2018-08-30T15:08:13  *** Emcy has quit IRC
303 2018-08-30T15:08:58  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2018-08-30T15:42:07  *** diz23 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2018-08-30T15:42:10  <diz23> A fascinating blog where freenode staff member Matthew mst Trout recounts his experiences of eye-raping young children https://MattSTrout.com/
306 2018-08-30T15:42:14  <diz23> I thought you guys might be interested in this blog by freenode staff member Bryan kloeri Ostergaard https://bryanostergaard.com/
307 2018-08-30T15:42:17  <diz23> With our IRC ad service you can reach a global audience of entrepreneurs and fentanyl addicts with extraordinary engagement rates! https://williampitcock.com/
308 2018-08-30T15:42:20  <diz23> Read what IRC investigative journalists have uncovered on the freenode pedophilia scandal https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Freenodegate
309 2018-08-30T15:44:28  *** ChanServ sets mode: +o sipa
310 2018-08-30T15:44:39  *** sipa sets mode: +r 
311 2018-08-30T15:44:44  *** sipa sets mode: -o sipa
312 2018-08-30T15:45:32  *** diz23 has quit IRC
313 2018-08-30T15:46:49  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
314 2018-08-30T15:48:02  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2018-08-30T16:11:49  <sipa> i won't attend the meeting today
316 2018-08-30T16:12:48  <sipa> but as a topic, perhaps someone should go through the list of merged PRs in 0.17 to see if any are missing release notes
317 2018-08-30T16:17:30  <gmaxwell> I was going to come up with a commandline people could run which would curl the list of merged PRs and run it through shuf and head and ask everyone to look at the top bunch to see if the need release notes,  but the list of merged PRs isn't up yet.
318 2018-08-30T16:19:12  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2018-08-30T16:36:06  <gmaxwell> here is an approximation: git log --since=2018-02-01 --merges | grep 'Merge #' | shuf | head
320 2018-08-30T16:36:35  <gmaxwell> maybe we could ask everyone in the meeting to run that and check the results against the current release notes draft and see if they get anything they think needs notes. :)
321 2018-08-30T16:39:03  *** Randolf has quit IRC
322 2018-08-30T16:41:58  <echeveria>  /query *otr
323 2018-08-30T16:42:01  <echeveria> ffs.
324 2018-08-30T16:43:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2018-08-30T16:46:25  *** promag has quit IRC
326 2018-08-30T16:54:03  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
327 2018-08-30T16:55:17  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
328 2018-08-30T17:14:43  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
329 2018-08-30T17:16:54  *** harrymm has quit IRC
330 2018-08-30T17:18:33  *** Emcy has quit IRC
331 2018-08-30T17:25:01  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2018-08-30T17:27:16  <wumpus> there's still a few things in #12391 too that need release notes
333 2018-08-30T17:27:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12391 | TODO for release notes 0.17.0 · Issue #12391 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
334 2018-08-30T17:29:16  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2018-08-30T17:29:37  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
336 2018-08-30T17:35:46  *** sneakerhax has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2018-08-30T17:42:34  *** daouzo23 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
338 2018-08-30T17:47:35  <midnightmagic> I know I've asked this before, but can anyone tell me if the meta-data in the github instance is being archived somewhere (still)?
339 2018-08-30T17:53:01  *** d9b4bef9 has quit IRC
340 2018-08-30T17:54:07  *** d9b4bef9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
341 2018-08-30T18:05:15  <phantomcircuit> while implementing logic for poll() i've run into an interesting issue
342 2018-08-30T18:05:16  <phantomcircuit> https://github.com/pstratem/bitcoin/commit/03fba51baf35824fb9e55caf2384bbd7626c5dc5#diff-9a82240fe7dfe86564178691cc57f2f1R319
343 2018-08-30T18:05:31  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2018-08-30T18:05:53  <phantomcircuit> compile fails https://0bin.net/paste/M-ESIY-7HRgIM6qK#rCpHK4Oxjyy9aiuMIZ7Av28dp8QSD3CBORpKoyw4-wp
345 2018-08-30T18:06:00  <phantomcircuit> with net.cpp:2188:39: error: no matching function for call to ‘CConnman::RegisterListenSocket(SOCKET&)’
346 2018-08-30T18:06:21  <phantomcircuit> but RegisterListenSocket(hListenSocket); hListenSocket is actually a struct ListenSocket
347 2018-08-30T18:06:32  *** Krellan has quit IRC
348 2018-08-30T18:06:54  <wumpus> midnightmagic: yes, it is, at git@github.com:zw/bitcoin-gh-meta.git
349 2018-08-30T18:08:10  <echeveria> midnightmagic: wumpus: the whole of github is archived in real time.
350 2018-08-30T18:08:28  <echeveria> https://www.gharchive.org/
351 2018-08-30T18:09:58  <wumpus> echeveria: nice, that could be useful too I guess
352 2018-08-30T18:10:37  <wumpus> the more mirrors the better
353 2018-08-30T18:14:25  <midnightmagic> wumpus: thank you
354 2018-08-30T18:14:29  <midnightmagic> echeveria: thank you
355 2018-08-30T18:17:14  <midnightmagic> heh heh heh!
356 2018-08-30T18:27:06  *** leishman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2018-08-30T18:27:51  <wumpus> and yes, I'll add the PR list and author list into the preliminary release notes soon
358 2018-08-30T18:32:10  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2018-08-30T18:36:39  *** promag has quit IRC
360 2018-08-30T18:43:59  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
361 2018-08-30T18:44:49  *** leishman has quit IRC
362 2018-08-30T18:45:18  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
363 2018-08-30T18:50:31  *** daouzo23 has quit IRC
364 2018-08-30T18:57:07  *** grubles_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
365 2018-08-30T18:57:16  *** grubles has quit IRC
366 2018-08-30T19:01:16  <promag> meeting?
367 2018-08-30T19:01:18  <wumpus> #startmeeting
368 2018-08-30T19:01:18  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Aug 30 19:01:18 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
369 2018-08-30T19:01:18  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
370 2018-08-30T19:01:27  <jonasschnelli> \o
371 2018-08-30T19:01:32  <jonasschnelli>  \o
372 2018-08-30T19:01:34  <promag> howdy
373 2018-08-30T19:01:36  <jonasschnelli>  o/
374 2018-08-30T19:01:55  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
375 2018-08-30T19:02:00  <kanzure> hi.
376 2018-08-30T19:02:04  <achow101> hi
377 2018-08-30T19:02:06  <meshcollider> hi
378 2018-08-30T19:03:02  <wumpus> so re: 0.17.0 it seems we still have a few issues
379 2018-08-30T19:03:12  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/33
380 2018-08-30T19:03:17  <gmaxwell> Hi.
381 2018-08-30T19:03:28  <kanzure> topic: i am collecting topics for coredevtech tokyo; please submit topic suggestions to me, things that you would like to speak about, or things that you would prefer others to speak about, could be anything from source code things to BIPs to mailing list stuff, or complaints about twitter.
382 2018-08-30T19:03:29  <wumpus> looks like the most serious one is a possible incompatibility when going back to 0.16.2
383 2018-08-30T19:03:45  <wumpus> #14048
384 2018-08-30T19:03:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14048 | 0.16.2 binary gives error after latest compiled client has run · Issue #14048 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
385 2018-08-30T19:04:09  <instagibbs> hi
386 2018-08-30T19:04:24  <achow101> wasn't there a change to how txindex is handled now?
387 2018-08-30T19:04:28  <gmaxwell> I no longer think #14109 is blocking, it appears to be a measurement artifact. pages in the cache in read only mmaps show up in res.
388 2018-08-30T19:04:29  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14109 | ibd memory usage up in 0.17 · Issue #14109 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
389 2018-08-30T19:04:29  <wumpus> there's also possible working memory use increase during IBD ( #14109)
390 2018-08-30T19:04:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14109 | ibd memory usage up in 0.17 · Issue #14109 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
391 2018-08-30T19:04:32  <achow101> so that's probably what is causing the problem
392 2018-08-30T19:04:36  <wumpus> gmaxwell: good to know!
393 2018-08-30T19:04:37  <jonasschnelli> Also #14104 is eventually something we want to take a look (or at least mention in the RN)
394 2018-08-30T19:04:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14104 | 0.17.2rc issue (standardness change for bare multisig) · Issue #14104 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
395 2018-08-30T19:05:43  <wumpus> ok tagging that with 0.17.0
396 2018-08-30T19:05:51  <jonasschnelli> sipas script template remove (#13194) caused a tiny isStandard different for bare multisig
397 2018-08-30T19:05:53  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13194 | Remove template matching and pseudo opcodes by sipa · Pull Request #13194 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
398 2018-08-30T19:05:58  <wumpus> hadn't seen that one but it looks like it is expected?
399 2018-08-30T19:06:14  <wumpus> ah
400 2018-08-30T19:06:16  <jonasschnelli> Invalid pubkeys with the right size was standard until 0.17
401 2018-08-30T19:06:41  <jonasschnelli> Now, it checks the first byte (compress, uncompressed, etc.). Before it just had to be 33 or 65 bytes.
402 2018-08-30T19:06:49  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: what does invalid here mean? the initial byte isn't ne of the right flags?
403 2018-08-30T19:06:50  <gmaxwell> okay.
404 2018-08-30T19:07:08  <wumpus> I'd say the new way is better then?
405 2018-08-30T19:07:10  <gmaxwell> (just making sure we weren't doing the on-the-curve check, since thats slow)
406 2018-08-30T19:07:17  <jonasschnelli> It looks like people have stuffed 33 bytes into a bare multisig for some unknown reason
407 2018-08-30T19:07:42  <jonasschnelli> (probably to make some data public available ala OP_RETURN)
408 2018-08-30T19:07:47  <wumpus> well you can't avoid people stuffing other things in them, but making sure they look like valid keys makes some sense
409 2018-08-30T19:08:10  <gmaxwell> The new way is a reasonable behavior. it will inhibit some kind of non-op-return store-data-in-the-utxo set behavior.
410 2018-08-30T19:08:10  <jonasschnelli> heh. Yes. I think we should just mention that in the release notes
411 2018-08-30T19:08:35  <wumpus> right
412 2018-08-30T19:08:38  <gmaxwell> yes, should be release noted.
413 2018-08-30T19:09:40  <wumpus> posted it in #12391
414 2018-08-30T19:09:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12391 | TODO for release notes 0.17.0 · Issue #12391 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
415 2018-08-30T19:10:15  <jonasschnelli> For #14048, I think its acceptable to require to create the txindex again when downgrade from 17 to 16...
416 2018-08-30T19:10:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14048 | 0.16.2 binary gives error after latest compiled client has run · Issue #14048 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
417 2018-08-30T19:10:33  <gmaxwell> jonasschnelli: I agree, but it needs to be release noted.
418 2018-08-30T19:10:33  <wumpus> oh this is because of the txindex update? of course, gah
419 2018-08-30T19:10:45  <wumpus> what is the PR that changed the txindex?
420 2018-08-30T19:10:58  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
421 2018-08-30T19:11:05  <jonasschnelli> #13033
422 2018-08-30T19:11:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13033 | Build txindex in parallel with validation by jimpo · Pull Request #13033 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
423 2018-08-30T19:11:08  <jonasschnelli> (i think)
424 2018-08-30T19:11:47  <promag> also related #13243
425 2018-08-30T19:11:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13243 | Make reusable base class for auxiliary indices by jimpo · Pull Request #13243 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
426 2018-08-30T19:12:24  *** willyko_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
427 2018-08-30T19:12:46  <willyko_> yaas finally got my gitian build to work
428 2018-08-30T19:13:16  <wumpus> ok added
429 2018-08-30T19:14:09  <wumpus> for the rest there is some documentation confusion which I *try* to clear up in #14100
430 2018-08-30T19:14:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14100 | doc: Change documentation for =0 for non-boolean options by laanwj · Pull Request #14100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
431 2018-08-30T19:14:16  *** plankers has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2018-08-30T19:14:44  <wumpus> at least if I do understand it correctly
433 2018-08-30T19:15:51  <jonasschnelli> Added a new minor issue for 0.17 #14114
434 2018-08-30T19:15:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14114 | scantxoutset help about descriptors refers to TODO document · Issue #14114 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
435 2018-08-30T19:17:11  <wumpus> oops
436 2018-08-30T19:17:42  <gmaxwell> pieter opened a PR to fill in the docs.
437 2018-08-30T19:17:57  <gmaxwell> #14096
438 2018-08-30T19:17:59  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14096 | Add reference documentation for descriptors language by sipa · Pull Request #14096 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
439 2018-08-30T19:18:17  <wumpus> yes, that is already tagged 0.17.0
440 2018-08-30T19:18:38  <gmaxwell> so it fixes 14114
441 2018-08-30T19:18:44  <wumpus> right
442 2018-08-30T19:19:22  <jonasschnelli> Oh. Wasn't aware
443 2018-08-30T19:20:08  <wumpus> one topic I'd like to discuss is where to move tinyformat in the source tree, if we're going to do that at all, I hate it when there's two competing PRs open for something
444 2018-08-30T19:20:11  * jonasschnelli is lost in PRs
445 2018-08-30T19:20:24  <wumpus> #topic tinyformat move
446 2018-08-30T19:20:34  <wumpus> e.g.: #13846, #13845, or keep as is
447 2018-08-30T19:20:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13846 | Move src/tinyformat.h to src/tinyformat/tinyformat.h by Empact · Pull Request #13846 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
448 2018-08-30T19:20:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13845 | Include tinyformat as a subtree by Empact · Pull Request #13845 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
449 2018-08-30T19:21:07  <wumpus> I'm ok with all three options but not with leaving those PRs open forever
450 2018-08-30T19:21:10  *** GoldenBear has quit IRC
451 2018-08-30T19:21:32  *** GoldenBear has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
452 2018-08-30T19:22:01  <jonasschnelli> The subtree looked to me after an overkill,... I would prefer #13846 (no strong opinion)
453 2018-08-30T19:22:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13846 | Move src/tinyformat.h to src/tinyformat/tinyformat.h by Empact · Pull Request #13846 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
454 2018-08-30T19:22:57  <wumpus> I guess MarcoFalke is not here?
455 2018-08-30T19:23:07  <wumpus> I think he has the strongest opinion about it
456 2018-08-30T19:23:27  <gmaxwell> would we really do a subtree for a single file?
457 2018-08-30T19:23:32  <wumpus> no.
458 2018-08-30T19:24:00  <wumpus> I think this is pretty much unnecessary, and certainly the subtree one contains lots of changes
459 2018-08-30T19:24:25  <gmaxwell> seems like change for the sake of change to me.
460 2018-08-30T19:24:54  <wumpus> too much of that
461 2018-08-30T19:25:05  <achow101> I'm in favor of keeping it as is
462 2018-08-30T19:26:08  <wumpus> ok, other proposed topics?
463 2018-08-30T19:26:18  <wumpus> I guess we haven't had high prio for review yet
464 2018-08-30T19:26:23  <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
465 2018-08-30T19:26:55  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
466 2018-08-30T19:27:00  <jonasschnelli> I'd like to add #14046
467 2018-08-30T19:27:02  <wumpus> we made quite a lot of progress there this week
468 2018-08-30T19:27:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14046 | net: Refactor message parsing (CNetMessage), adds flexibility by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #14046 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
469 2018-08-30T19:27:12  <wumpus> only three left
470 2018-08-30T19:27:41  <wumpus> added
471 2018-08-30T19:28:43  <achow101> can I get #14019 for hi prio?
472 2018-08-30T19:28:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14019 | Import pubkeys when importing p2sh with importmulti by achow101 · Pull Request #14019 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
473 2018-08-30T19:29:01  <wumpus> achow101: you already have one
474 2018-08-30T19:29:09  <achow101> replace it with that one
475 2018-08-30T19:29:13  <wumpus> ok
476 2018-08-30T19:29:48  <wumpus> done
477 2018-08-30T19:30:04  <ken2812221_> wumpus: I want to replace #13866 with #13878
478 2018-08-30T19:30:06  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13866 | utils: Use _wfopen and _wfreopen on Windows by ken2812221 · Pull Request #13866 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
479 2018-08-30T19:30:08  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13878 | utils: Add fstream wrapper to allow to pass unicode filename on Windows by ken2812221 · Pull Request #13878 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
480 2018-08-30T19:30:26  <wumpus> ken2812221_: you really need to find someone that can review windows stuff :)
481 2018-08-30T19:31:11  <wumpus> anyhow - replaced
482 2018-08-30T19:31:18  <ken2812221_> I am not sure that who knows about Windows thing.
483 2018-08-30T19:31:48  <wumpus> maybe sipsorcery (who contributed the MSVC build)
484 2018-08-30T19:32:51  <wumpus> which reminds me of #14089
485 2018-08-30T19:32:53  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14089 | CryptGenRandom is deprecated by fingera · Pull Request #14089 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
486 2018-08-30T19:32:58  <wumpus> I'd, personally, prefer to close that one
487 2018-08-30T19:33:22  <wumpus> or what luke-jr says, add it as extra random source, that can't hurt
488 2018-08-30T19:34:10  <jonasschnelli> deprecated PRNG may have less backdoors. :)
489 2018-08-30T19:34:44  <wumpus> right, good to be very careful here
490 2018-08-30T19:35:25  <ken2812221_> anyway, I don't have a strong opinion.
491 2018-08-30T19:35:27  <gmaxwell> when we finally do move off of openssl as an input, we'll add additional randomness inputs, making that stuff slightly less critical.
492 2018-08-30T19:35:38  <gmaxwell> ken2812221_: what caused you to be aware of the deprecation?
493 2018-08-30T19:36:39  <wumpus> he only concept-ACKed it
494 2018-08-30T19:36:41  <ken2812221_> Well, that is not my PR.
495 2018-08-30T19:37:21  <wumpus> NicolasDorier NACKed it (with rationale)
496 2018-08-30T19:37:38  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2018-08-30T19:37:58  <wumpus> he's another person that knows things about windows btw, you could maybe ping him in your other PRs ken2812221_  :)
498 2018-08-30T19:38:21  <ken2812221_> Thank you, wumpus
499 2018-08-30T19:38:26  <gmaxwell> ken2812221_: oh sorry, its fingera's PR. my mistake.
500 2018-08-30T19:40:05  <wumpus> ok, any other topics?
501 2018-08-30T19:41:12  <wumpus> ken2812221_: would be nice to get your PRs in for 0.18 and fix the windows unicode issues once and for all
502 2018-08-30T19:42:08  *** Krellan has quit IRC
503 2018-08-30T19:42:08  <ken2812221_> I'm not sure if this fix all problems, it needs more and more tests.
504 2018-08-30T19:42:25  <ken2812221_> But we have 6+ months to test it.
505 2018-08-30T19:42:58  <wumpus> yes, better to merge it soon in that regard
506 2018-08-30T19:43:31  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
507 2018-08-30T19:44:53  <wumpus> so if no other topics I'm going to close the meeting
508 2018-08-30T19:45:34  <wumpus> #endmeeting
509 2018-08-30T19:45:34  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Aug 30 19:45:34 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
510 2018-08-30T19:45:34  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-30-19.01.html
511 2018-08-30T19:45:34  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-30-19.01.txt
512 2018-08-30T19:45:34  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-08-30-19.01.log.html
513 2018-08-30T19:45:46  <phantomcircuit> while people are here
514 2018-08-30T19:46:19  <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit has almost finished a patch to switch to poll but is stuck on some C++ confusion.
515 2018-08-30T19:46:28  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
516 2018-08-30T19:46:36  <phantomcircuit> https://github.com/pstratem/bitcoin/commit/03fba51baf35824fb9e55caf2384bbd7626c5dc5#diff-9a82240fe7dfe86564178691cc57f2f1R319
517 2018-08-30T19:46:37  <phantomcircuit> https://0bin.net/paste/M-ESIY-7HRgIM6qK#rCpHK4Oxjyy9aiuMIZ7Av28dp8QSD3CBORpKoyw4-wp
518 2018-08-30T19:46:39  <promag> wumpus: regarding min qt, shouldn't we just use the current qt lts?
519 2018-08-30T19:46:47  <phantomcircuit> net.cpp:2188:39: error: no matching function for call to ‘CConnman::RegisterListenSocket(SOCKET&)’
520 2018-08-30T19:46:59  <gmaxwell> I looked at it, but must be a blonde day for me...
521 2018-08-30T19:47:07  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
522 2018-08-30T19:47:15  <promag> too bad if distributions use less than that?
523 2018-08-30T19:47:16  <phantomcircuit> but im pretty clear that im calling RegisterListenSocket(hSocketListen) and hSocketListen is a const ListenSocket&
524 2018-08-30T19:47:25  <phantomcircuit> any ideas?
525 2018-08-30T19:49:01  <wumpus> promag: so that is 5.5?
526 2018-08-30T19:49:16  <promag> 5.9
527 2018-08-30T19:49:19  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: will have a look
528 2018-08-30T19:50:20  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: the branch is 2018-08-29-poll?
529 2018-08-30T19:50:30  <wumpus> I rather check locally instead of on gh
530 2018-08-30T19:51:21  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
531 2018-08-30T19:54:54  *** willyko_ has quit IRC
532 2018-08-30T19:56:23  <wumpus> ok this is really strange
533 2018-08-30T19:56:36  * wumpus wishes c++ had helpful warnings like rust
534 2018-08-30T19:57:35  <promag> it's not strange
535 2018-08-30T19:57:46  <midnightmagic> I thought clang having helpful warnings was one of the whole reasons for its existence
536 2018-08-30T19:58:11  <promag> the correct line is https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/03fba51baf35824fb9e55caf2384bbd7626c5dc5/src/net.cpp#L2188
537 2018-08-30T19:58:38  <promag> there type of hListenSocket is SOCKET
538 2018-08-30T19:58:46  <wumpus> promag: yes!
539 2018-08-30T19:58:57  <wumpus> was looking at the wrong caller function
540 2018-08-30T19:59:36  <wumpus> the argument to RegisterListenSocket is a ListenSocket structure, which has a SOCKET and a whiltelisting flag
541 2018-08-30T19:59:49  <promag> me too, but then I say the line..
542 2018-08-30T19:59:58  <promag> *saw
543 2018-08-30T20:01:15  <wumpus> I only noticed it when I replaced the argument with a copy of the structure, then noticed the variable name in the compiler error didn't change
544 2018-08-30T20:02:15  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
545 2018-08-30T20:03:01  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
546 2018-08-30T20:03:18  *** Krellan has quit IRC
547 2018-08-30T20:03:47  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
548 2018-08-30T20:04:18  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2018-08-30T20:05:31  *** Krellan has quit IRC
550 2018-08-30T20:05:37  *** Krellan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
551 2018-08-30T20:08:33  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
552 2018-08-30T20:09:19  *** promag has quit IRC
553 2018-08-30T20:10:07  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: so on the line below it, 2189, a ListenSocket is actually constructed with ListenSocket(hListenSocket, fWhitelisted)
554 2018-08-30T20:10:54  <wumpus> though I'm not sure you need to call it there at all, as RegisterListenSocket will already be called with everything in that vector it is added to
555 2018-08-30T20:18:11  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
556 2018-08-30T20:19:44  *** Rootsudo has quit IRC
557 2018-08-30T20:19:45  *** SopaXorzTaker has quit IRC
558 2018-08-30T20:20:32  <luke-jr> sorry I missed the meeting
559 2018-08-30T20:21:00  <luke-jr> would be nice if people look at and decide between the two ARM/RISC-V symbol check things - either one is a fine starting point IMO
560 2018-08-30T20:21:21  <luke-jr> hebasto: I deleted it because I noticed it was the binary tarball, not sources
561 2018-08-30T20:21:41  *** Zenton has quit IRC
562 2018-08-30T20:21:58  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
563 2018-08-30T20:21:58  <wumpus> luke-jr: my vote would be little-endian only
564 2018-08-30T20:22:08  <wumpus> luke-jr: oh, that's not what you mean
565 2018-08-30T20:23:19  <hebasto> luke-jr: Thank you for clarification.
566 2018-08-30T20:23:27  <wumpus> yes the symbol check thing is another thing with competing PRs
567 2018-08-30T20:23:52  <wumpus> tbh for such scripts I care very little as long as they do what they should do
568 2018-08-30T20:24:45  <promag> what is going on in #14090? :S
569 2018-08-30T20:24:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14090 | [windows] progress bar in task bar by alexeyneu · Pull Request #14090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
570 2018-08-30T20:25:18  <luke-jr> wumpus: I'm inclined to just close mine and rebase on the other one
571 2018-08-30T20:25:31  <luke-jr> maybe clean it up slightly (grouping the arch configurations together)
572 2018-08-30T20:26:30  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2018-08-30T20:26:37  <wumpus> yes, rebasing one on top of the other would be great and make it much easier to go ahead
574 2018-08-30T20:26:53  <wumpus> promag: good question...
575 2018-08-30T20:27:30  <wumpus> promag: I've unsubscribed from it, was kind of annoyed by the author
576 2018-08-30T20:28:29  <phantomcircuit> wumpus, oh snap yeah i see what it is
577 2018-08-30T20:28:43  <wumpus> didn't want to close it in case anyone else wanted to guide them toward getting the PR to a mergable state, as the functionality looks useful, but if it's a lost cause we probably should
578 2018-08-30T20:29:06  <phantomcircuit> promag, ty
579 2018-08-30T20:29:21  <luke-jr> I suspect a language barrier in that one
580 2018-08-30T20:29:24  <phantomcircuit> gmaxwell, derp
581 2018-08-30T20:29:30  <phantomcircuit> was the answer of course
582 2018-08-30T20:29:39  <luke-jr> he thought I was trying to make a joke when I said to not touch unrelated whitespace O.o
583 2018-08-30T20:30:13  <wumpus> yes he seems like an impossible person
584 2018-08-30T20:30:50  <wumpus> goes to argue against all review comments
585 2018-08-30T20:30:59  <promag> I guess I'll open a new one with the winextra
586 2018-08-30T20:31:21  <luke-jr> :x
587 2018-08-30T20:31:44  <promag> don't care? :D
588 2018-08-30T20:31:50  <wumpus> looks like either a language barrier or at the least a strong misunderstanding how contributing to open source works, that was clear from the first post
589 2018-08-30T20:32:08  <luke-jr> I would prefer fixing the communications and teaching him to do it right, so he doesn't think we're just a clique
590 2018-08-30T20:32:22  <luke-jr> (and hopefully contributes more in the future)
591 2018-08-30T20:32:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
592 2018-08-30T20:32:42  <wumpus> yes, if you think there's any hope of that, that'd be preferable
593 2018-08-30T20:33:11  <promag> ok then, my suggestion is there
594 2018-08-30T20:34:12  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2018-08-30T20:50:43  <phantomcircuit> if select() fails we're currently setting every fd in fdsetRecv so that the loop immediately after will call recv for every node
596 2018-08-30T20:50:57  <phantomcircuit> that doesn't seem to make much sense
597 2018-08-30T20:52:40  <phantomcircuit> this logic goes back to satoshi also so ?
598 2018-08-30T20:53:29  <wumpus> yes, that doesn't sound very sensible to me either...
599 2018-08-30T20:59:20  <phantomcircuit> seems like if select() fails we should sleep for a bit and continue the loop?
600 2018-08-30T21:00:12  <phantomcircuit> actually it seems like every way this can fail except EINTR is basically catastrophic
601 2018-08-30T21:03:34  *** bitconner has quit IRC
602 2018-08-30T21:29:38  *** Rootsudo has quit IRC
603 2018-08-30T21:39:27  *** promag has quit IRC
604 2018-08-30T21:43:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
605 2018-08-30T21:47:51  <gmaxwell> Bustapay ftw.
606 2018-08-30T21:48:23  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
607 2018-08-30T21:48:28  <gmaxwell> achow101: See https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2018-August/016340.html ?
608 2018-08-30T21:49:43  <achow101> cool!
609 2018-08-30T21:54:00  <instagibbs> Dr Maxwell makes his return
610 2018-08-30T21:54:31  <instagibbs> I gave some technical feeback over hte last week; pretty cool to see it live :)
611 2018-08-30T22:09:16  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
612 2018-08-30T22:18:47  <grubles_> cool stuff
613 2018-08-30T22:18:50  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2018-08-30T22:23:26  *** peevsie has quit IRC
615 2018-08-30T22:33:34  *** Zenton has quit IRC
616 2018-08-30T22:33:55  *** profmac has quit IRC
617 2018-08-30T22:34:17  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2018-08-30T22:35:04  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
619 2018-08-30T22:42:38  *** plankers has quit IRC
620 2018-08-30T22:46:44  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
621 2018-08-30T22:47:15  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2018-08-30T23:07:53  <echeveria> gmaxwell: I can see people doing this really badly.
623 2018-08-30T23:08:21  *** sneakerhax has quit IRC
624 2018-08-30T23:08:27  <echeveria> gmaxwell: it also requires that the sender can process the transaction before the HTTP request times out.
625 2018-08-30T23:09:28  <echeveria> gmaxwell: you can also hammer the remote to enumerate their outputs, but never submit a result.
626 2018-08-30T23:10:27  <gmaxwell> echeveria: hm? No. you can only learn one output from the remote per output you spend.
627 2018-08-30T23:11:23  <gmaxwell> You connect to the merchant and give him a valid txn ready for broadcast. He responds with an updated version that includes his output.  If you don't reply, he sends the original to the network.
628 2018-08-30T23:12:38  <echeveria> "Doing so will invalidate the "template transaction"'s original input signatures, so the sender needs to return this "partial transaction" back to the receiver to sign. This is returned as a hex-encoded raw transaction a response to the original HTTP POST request."
629 2018-08-30T23:12:59  <echeveria> "The receiver is responsible in making sure the "partial transaction" returned by the sender was changed correctly (it should assume the connection has been MITM'd and act accordingly), resign its original inputs and propagates this transaction over the bitcoin network. The client must be aware that the server can reorder inputs and outputs."
630 2018-08-30T23:13:13  <echeveria> oh.
631 2018-08-30T23:13:31  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
632 2018-08-30T23:13:32  <echeveria> uh. I guess so.
633 2018-08-30T23:18:41  *** grubles_ has quit IRC
634 2018-08-30T23:18:42  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
635 2018-08-30T23:19:12  <phantomcircuit> wumpus, seems like select can fail if a socket is closed or in some way broken
636 2018-08-30T23:19:27  <phantomcircuit> so im guessing calling recv() on every socket was some attempt to handle that?
637 2018-08-30T23:19:39  *** Rootsudo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2018-08-30T23:23:14  *** belcher_ has quit IRC
639 2018-08-30T23:31:26  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2018-08-30T23:35:47  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
641 2018-08-30T23:40:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2018-08-30T23:51:28  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
643 2018-08-30T23:54:54  *** captjakk has quit IRC
644 2018-08-30T23:55:06  *** grubles_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev