1 2018-11-01T00:02:11  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2018-11-01T00:06:41  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
  3 2018-11-01T00:13:15  *** jarthur has quit IRC
  4 2018-11-01T00:14:32  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2018-11-01T00:25:37  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2018-11-01T00:25:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #14625: Make clear function argument case in dev notes (master...patch-3) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14625
  7 2018-11-01T00:25:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2018-11-01T00:26:36  *** jarthur has quit IRC
  9 2018-11-01T00:28:44  <sipa> dongcarl: not just because nobody has gotten around to fix them; PRs which only change style are not permitted
 10 2018-11-01T00:29:23  <sipa> more because that code hasn't been rewritten since
 11 2018-11-01T00:29:49  <dongcarl> sipa: good to know! So usually style changes are packaged with actual changes?
 12 2018-11-01T00:30:11  <sipa> yes
 13 2018-11-01T00:30:16  <sipa> dongcarl: it's in the developer notes :)
 14 2018-11-01T00:30:49  <sipa> Various coding styles have been used during the history of the codebase, and the result is not very consistent. However, we're now trying to converge to a single style, which is specified below. When writing patches, favor the new style over attempting to mimic the surrounding style, except for move-only commits.
 15 2018-11-01T00:30:55  <sipa> Do not submit patches solely to modify the style of existing code.
 16 2018-11-01T00:31:52  <dongcarl> Haha k I might bundle in some style changes for the files I’ve touched for Banman
 17 2018-11-01T00:32:31  <sipa> don't "bundle"
 18 2018-11-01T00:32:37  <sipa> just use the new style when writing new code
 19 2018-11-01T00:33:59  <dongcarl> Right, okay, in that case what I have now should be sufficient
 20 2018-11-01T00:34:56  <sipa> dongcarl: first line in your patch already violates it :p
 21 2018-11-01T00:35:46  <sipa> seems that's also almost the only one
 22 2018-11-01T00:35:51  * dongcarl is ashamed
 23 2018-11-01T00:39:32  <sipa> :p
 24 2018-11-01T00:40:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2018-11-01T00:40:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #14626: Select orphan transaction uniformly for eviction (master...201810_uniform_orphan_eviction) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14626
 26 2018-11-01T00:40:33  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2018-11-01T00:45:01  <gwillen> sipa: any suggestions for how I should proceed with https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14588 ?
 28 2018-11-01T00:48:12  <sipa> gwillen: will review soon
 29 2018-11-01T00:49:14  <gwillen> ok, thanks! :-)
 30 2018-11-01T00:59:35  *** dviola has quit IRC
 31 2018-11-01T01:06:20  *** Ga1aCt1Cz00_ has quit IRC
 32 2018-11-01T01:06:45  *** Ga1aCt1Cz00_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2018-11-01T01:22:42  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
 34 2018-11-01T01:27:40  *** zrc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2018-11-01T02:03:26  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2018-11-01T02:06:25  *** lukedashjr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2018-11-01T02:06:41  *** zrc has quit IRC
 38 2018-11-01T02:07:26  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 39 2018-11-01T02:07:43  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 40 2018-11-01T02:11:05  *** lukedashjr is now known as luke-jr
 41 2018-11-01T02:17:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2018-11-01T02:22:54  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 43 2018-11-01T02:38:34  <warren> sipa: "<sipa> warren: BIP150/BIP151 just need a bit of entropy at connect time" ... but connect time is an event triggered by arbitrary network connections.
 44 2018-11-01T02:46:29  <sipa> warren: accepting a connection already requires orders of magnitude more work than generating a random number, even with a ridiculously slow RNG
 45 2018-11-01T02:47:29  <sipa> warren: stop freaking out; all i meant to say was that our RNG isn't fast compared to what is possible on state of the art, but it's more than enough for what we need, even taking things like encrypted connections into account
 46 2018-11-01T02:48:17  *** zrc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2018-11-01T03:12:37  *** zrc has quit IRC
 48 2018-11-01T03:39:57  <warren> OK.
 49 2018-11-01T04:14:27  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 50 2018-11-01T04:22:05  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
 51 2018-11-01T04:23:11  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2018-11-01T04:41:53  *** bitconner has quit IRC
 53 2018-11-01T04:43:47  *** schnerch_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2018-11-01T04:45:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2018-11-01T04:46:27  *** schnerchi has quit IRC
 56 2018-11-01T04:49:45  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 57 2018-11-01T04:55:04  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2018-11-01T05:00:27  *** pinkdragon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2018-11-01T05:06:26  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 60 2018-11-01T05:07:37  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2018-11-01T05:18:41  *** pinkdragon has quit IRC
 62 2018-11-01T05:52:35  *** josephni_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2018-11-01T06:05:16  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2018-11-01T06:08:57  *** josephni_ has quit IRC
 65 2018-11-01T06:12:41  *** bitconner has quit IRC
 66 2018-11-01T06:38:02  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 67 2018-11-01T06:38:20  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
 68 2018-11-01T06:42:40  *** tripleslash has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2018-11-01T06:46:28  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2018-11-01T06:51:20  *** Guest52531 is now known as iphelix
 71 2018-11-01T06:51:21  *** iphelix has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2018-11-01T06:51:46  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 73 2018-11-01T06:53:33  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
 74 2018-11-01T07:01:07  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2018-11-01T07:02:13  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
 76 2018-11-01T07:04:11  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
 77 2018-11-01T07:20:58  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2018-11-01T07:57:07  *** ezzzy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2018-11-01T08:02:08  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2018-11-01T08:02:58  *** Cory has quit IRC
 81 2018-11-01T08:05:30  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2018-11-01T08:06:51  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2018-11-01T08:08:29  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2018-11-01T08:09:42  *** Cory has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2018-11-01T08:13:24  *** bitconner has quit IRC
 86 2018-11-01T08:24:21  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
 87 2018-11-01T08:36:34  *** rhavar has quit IRC
 88 2018-11-01T08:40:14  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 89 2018-11-01T08:41:24  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2018-11-01T08:41:41  *** spinza has quit IRC
 91 2018-11-01T08:49:39  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
 92 2018-11-01T08:55:51  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2018-11-01T08:56:44  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2018-11-01T08:57:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2018-11-01T08:57:57  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2018-11-01T08:57:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] merland closed pull request #14553: [wip] qt: Fix wrong unit on hourly progress increase (master...progress-increase-per-h) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14553
 97 2018-11-01T08:57:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2018-11-01T09:29:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2018-11-01T09:29:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] murrayn opened pull request #14628: Trivial: Rename misleading 'defaultPort' to 'rpc_port' (master...rpc_port) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14628
100 2018-11-01T09:29:23  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2018-11-01T09:31:25  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
102 2018-11-01T09:52:32  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2018-11-01T09:58:27  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
104 2018-11-01T10:07:27  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2018-11-01T10:08:38  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2018-11-01T10:08:54  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: looking at it
107 2018-11-01T10:13:09  *** bitconner has quit IRC
108 2018-11-01T10:19:02  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2018-11-01T10:30:31  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
110 2018-11-01T10:39:50  *** spinza has quit IRC
111 2018-11-01T10:50:08  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2018-11-01T11:01:13  *** wxss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2018-11-01T11:14:38  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2018-11-01T11:50:28  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
115 2018-11-01T12:03:23  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2018-11-01T12:03:42  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2018-11-01T12:08:54  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2018-11-01T12:12:29  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2018-11-01T12:13:07  *** bitconner has quit IRC
120 2018-11-01T12:15:35  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
121 2018-11-01T12:17:29  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
122 2018-11-01T12:18:39  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2018-11-01T12:31:12  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
124 2018-11-01T12:34:05  *** Jack_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2018-11-01T12:54:12  *** lightningbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2018-11-01T12:56:51  *** shesek has quit IRC
127 2018-11-01T12:57:38  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2018-11-01T12:58:47  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
129 2018-11-01T12:59:53  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2018-11-01T13:02:38  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2018-11-01T13:07:54  *** owowo has quit IRC
132 2018-11-01T13:12:22  *** echonaut15 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2018-11-01T13:13:11  *** echonaut has quit IRC
134 2018-11-01T13:14:00  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
135 2018-11-01T13:14:15  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2018-11-01T13:14:17  <wumpus> can we get some reviews for #14532? at one point everyone seemed concerned about this issue, and not it just lingers
137 2018-11-01T13:14:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14532 | Never bind INADDR_ANY by default, and warn when doing so explicitly by luke-jr · Pull Request #14532 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
138 2018-11-01T13:14:32  <wumpus> now*
139 2018-11-01T13:14:36  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2018-11-01T13:24:14  *** wxss has quit IRC
141 2018-11-01T13:25:05  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
142 2018-11-01T13:25:24  *** wxss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2018-11-01T13:26:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2018-11-01T13:26:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b312579c69f1...d38a5092f17f
145 2018-11-01T13:26:30  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0e6de3a Martin Erlandsson: added details about commit messages
146 2018-11-01T13:26:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d38a509 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14600: docs: Clarify commit message guidelines...
147 2018-11-01T13:26:31  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-11-01T13:27:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2018-11-01T13:27:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14600: docs: Clarify commit message guidelines (master...update-contrib) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14600
150 2018-11-01T13:27:47  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2018-11-01T13:28:32  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2018-11-01T13:29:44  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2018-11-01T13:29:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2018-11-01T13:29:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d38a5092f17f...08a57d51e90c
155 2018-11-01T13:29:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master cf2f430 fanquake: gui: explicitly disable "Dark Mode" appearance on macOS
156 2018-11-01T13:29:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 08a57d5 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14593: gui: explicitly disable "Dark Mode" appearance on macOS...
157 2018-11-01T13:29:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2018-11-01T13:30:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2018-11-01T13:30:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14593: gui: explicitly disable "Dark Mode" appearance on macOS (master...macos-disable-darkmode) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14593
160 2018-11-01T13:30:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2018-11-01T13:33:27  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
162 2018-11-01T13:36:53  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2018-11-01T13:53:39  *** spinza has quit IRC
164 2018-11-01T13:53:41  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
165 2018-11-01T13:58:44  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2018-11-01T14:08:22  *** booyah has quit IRC
167 2018-11-01T14:09:00  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2018-11-01T14:09:04  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2018-11-01T14:09:10  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2018-11-01T14:14:04  *** bitconner has quit IRC
171 2018-11-01T14:14:05  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
172 2018-11-01T14:14:21  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2018-11-01T14:18:27  *** promag has quit IRC
174 2018-11-01T14:35:37  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2018-11-01T14:43:48  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2018-11-01T14:43:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/08a57d51e90c...6a095bc5f239
177 2018-11-01T14:43:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4bd125f Chun Kuan Lee: tests: Print dots by default
178 2018-11-01T14:43:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6a095bc MarcoFalke: Merge #14569: tests: Print dots by default in functional tests...
179 2018-11-01T14:43:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2018-11-01T14:45:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2018-11-01T14:45:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #14569: tests: Print dots by default in functional tests (master...travis-avoid-timeout) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14569
182 2018-11-01T14:45:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2018-11-01T14:54:58  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2018-11-01T14:59:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2018-11-01T14:59:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #14630: test_runner: Remove travis specific code (master...Mf1811-testNoTravis) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14630
186 2018-11-01T14:59:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2018-11-01T15:03:20  *** setpill has quit IRC
188 2018-11-01T15:05:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2018-11-01T15:05:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/6a095bc5f239...9899e65d84e7
190 2018-11-01T15:05:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0a04667 Murray Nesbitt: FreeBSD: Document Python 3 requirement for 'gmake check'
191 2018-11-01T15:05:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9899e65 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14617: FreeBSD: Document Python 3 requirement for 'gmake check'...
192 2018-11-01T15:05:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2018-11-01T15:07:04  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2018-11-01T15:07:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14617: FreeBSD: Document Python 3 requirement for 'gmake check' (master...freebsd-test-doc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14617
195 2018-11-01T15:07:04  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2018-11-01T15:10:30  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2018-11-01T15:10:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9899e65d84e7...f6df989842a1
198 2018-11-01T15:10:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f8c1714 Andrew Chow: Convert non-witness UTXOs to witness if witness sig created...
199 2018-11-01T15:10:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 862d159 Pieter Wuille: Add test for conversion from non-witness to witness UTXO
200 2018-11-01T15:10:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f6df989 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14197: [psbt] Convert non-witness UTXOs to witness if witness sig created...
201 2018-11-01T15:10:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2018-11-01T15:11:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2018-11-01T15:11:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14197: [psbt] Convert non-witness UTXOs to witness if witness sig created (master...psbt-utxos) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14197
204 2018-11-01T15:11:28  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2018-11-01T15:12:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2018-11-01T15:12:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #14631: [tests] Move deterministic address import to setup_nodes (master...deprecate_generate2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14631
207 2018-11-01T15:12:28  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2018-11-01T15:18:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2018-11-01T15:18:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f6df989842a1...f69d92299dea
210 2018-11-01T15:18:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa77aaa MarcoFalke: doc: Add external interface consistency guarantees
211 2018-11-01T15:18:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f69d922 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14592: doc: Add external interface consistency guarantees...
212 2018-11-01T15:18:05  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2018-11-01T15:19:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2018-11-01T15:19:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14592: doc: Add external interface consistency guarantees (master...Mf1810-docCon) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14592
215 2018-11-01T15:19:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2018-11-01T15:21:05  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
217 2018-11-01T15:26:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2018-11-01T15:26:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fridokus opened pull request #14632: Tests: Fix a comment (master...typo_fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14632
219 2018-11-01T15:26:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2018-11-01T15:31:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2018-11-01T15:31:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f69d92299dea...5049f7f7a9e7
222 2018-11-01T15:31:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9605bbd Carl Dong: Make clear function argument case in dev notes
223 2018-11-01T15:31:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5049f7f Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14625: Make clear function argument case in dev notes...
224 2018-11-01T15:31:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2018-11-01T15:33:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2018-11-01T15:33:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14625: Make clear function argument case in dev notes (master...patch-3) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14625
227 2018-11-01T15:33:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2018-11-01T15:34:09  <achow101> that's a lot of merges
229 2018-11-01T15:36:05  <wumpus> yeh
230 2018-11-01T15:44:42  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2018-11-01T15:45:17  <achow101> wumpus: while you're at it, merge #14377?
232 2018-11-01T15:45:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14377 | check that a separator is found for psbt inputs, outputs, and global map by achow101 · Pull Request #14377 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
233 2018-11-01T16:08:22  *** ezzzy has quit IRC
234 2018-11-01T16:09:20  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2018-11-01T16:09:23  *** ExtraCrispy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2018-11-01T16:13:04  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2018-11-01T16:13:57  *** bitconner has quit IRC
238 2018-11-01T16:18:07  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2018-11-01T16:20:38  *** rhavar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2018-11-01T16:21:06  *** shesek has quit IRC
241 2018-11-01T16:25:12  *** Evel-Knievel has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2018-11-01T16:26:32  <sipa> MarcoFalke: idea for the conflict checker... have DrahtBot post a dummy comment on every PR as soon as it's opened, and then update that comment whenever needed
243 2018-11-01T16:27:20  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2018-11-01T16:35:46  <wumpus> that... sounds like a good idea
245 2018-11-01T16:35:50  <wumpus> achow101: ok
246 2018-11-01T16:36:13  <wumpus> could keep updating the same post instead of posting new ones would save on some mail
247 2018-11-01T16:53:25  <luke-jr> sipa: that will break the email notifications :/
248 2018-11-01T16:53:45  <luke-jr> (updating it sounds fine though)
249 2018-11-01T16:54:56  <sipa> luke-jr: i don't think the email notifications are useful (they mostly mess up my workflow in trying to find recently updated PRs to review... and then realize that they haven't been touched in 2 months, but someone just opened a tiny refactor that conflicts with it)
250 2018-11-01T16:55:11  <sipa> the "needs rebase" messages are kinda useful, i think
251 2018-11-01T16:56:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2018-11-01T16:56:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5049f7f7a9e7...51e5ef3971c7
253 2018-11-01T16:56:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4fb3388 Andrew Chow: check that a separator is found for psbt inputs, outputs, and global map
254 2018-11-01T16:56:44  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 51e5ef3 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #14377: check that a separator is found for psbt inputs, outputs, and global map...
255 2018-11-01T16:56:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2018-11-01T16:57:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2018-11-01T16:57:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14377: check that a separator is found for psbt inputs, outputs, and global map (master...fix-psbt-seps) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14377
258 2018-11-01T16:57:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2018-11-01T17:00:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
260 2018-11-01T17:01:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2018-11-01T17:03:23  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
262 2018-11-01T17:06:04  <luke-jr> sipa: I think the initial notification after opening might be useful to get the content emailed, I mean
263 2018-11-01T17:06:34  <luke-jr> ie, just skip the dummy post
264 2018-11-01T17:07:29  <wumpus> I don't think the email notifications for the bot are useful either
265 2018-11-01T17:07:55  <wumpus> sure, the 'needs rebase' mail is useful for the author of the PR but not others subscribing to it
266 2018-11-01T17:08:51  <wumpus> I think that's the crux, most of the information is aimed at the author but everyone somehow involved will get the mail, I get so much github notifications I can't pay much attention to them
267 2018-11-01T17:09:12  <wumpus> (though I have notifications specifically tagging me sorted differently)
268 2018-11-01T17:09:51  <sipa> i don't generally use the notifications at all; but at least "sort by recently updated" was useful before the bot :)
269 2018-11-01T17:10:05  <luke-jr> hmm
270 2018-11-01T17:10:18  <luke-jr> maybe the bot should hook in like Travis
271 2018-11-01T17:10:37  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2018-11-01T17:11:20  <gmaxwell> breaking sort by recently updated has probably reduced the amount of review I do by 80%, FWIW.
273 2018-11-01T17:11:41  <gmaxwell> as I'd typical go and sort by updated and check in on all the active PRs.
274 2018-11-01T17:12:32  <wumpus> luke-jr: yes that would be preferable, but I do not know if github provides that functionality to random developers, lacking that, sipa's idea to post once then update is a good idea
275 2018-11-01T17:13:18  <sipa> actually, a top comment that gets updated may not be enough to un-break it; the PRs that get newly referenced by another post's "conflicts with" will still be marked as recently updated
276 2018-11-01T17:16:40  <gmaxwell> another alternative would be to just post some external thing with the real recently updated data.
277 2018-11-01T17:16:52  <gmaxwell> e.g. go scrap github or new commits every couple hours and post a report somewhere.
278 2018-11-01T17:17:07  <gmaxwell> scrape*
279 2018-11-01T17:18:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
280 2018-11-01T17:18:29  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
281 2018-11-01T17:19:05  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2018-11-01T17:21:42  <wumpus> gmaxwell: ah yes kind of what bitcoinacks.com does
283 2018-11-01T17:33:11  * gmaxwell quietly leaves https://www.silasreinagel.com/blog/2018/10/30/indirection-is-not-abstraction/ here
284 2018-11-01T17:43:56  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2018-11-01T17:46:19  *** jungly has quit IRC
286 2018-11-01T17:47:36  <phantomcircuit> wumpus, thanks for reviewing
287 2018-11-01T17:48:19  <wumpus> gmaxwell: looks interesting!
288 2018-11-01T17:49:57  <MarcoFalke> hmm, just catching up on the bot review.
289 2018-11-01T17:50:15  <MarcoFalke> I wasn't aware that people actually used the github sort by most recent change
290 2018-11-01T17:50:25  <MarcoFalke> *update
291 2018-11-01T17:51:16  <sipa> MarcoFalke: it's the only thing i use :)
292 2018-11-01T17:51:42  *** ezzzy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2018-11-01T17:51:47  <sipa> (but maybe others have different workflows)
294 2018-11-01T17:51:48  <ryanofsky> posted feature request for bitcoin-acks: https://github.com/PierreRochard/bitcoin-acks/issues/78
295 2018-11-01T17:52:06  <MarcoFalke> By moving the content somewhere else, I am worried no one will look at it.
296 2018-11-01T17:52:28  <sipa> MarcoFalke: agree
297 2018-11-01T17:52:42  <gmaxwell> it sounds like even without the bot the most recent update is kinda broken
298 2018-11-01T17:52:52  <gmaxwell> the bot just makes it much worse.
299 2018-11-01T17:52:55  <sipa> gmaxwell: how so?
300 2018-11-01T17:53:15  <gmaxwell> you were saying above that it moves PRs to the top when they're mentioned in other PRs.
301 2018-11-01T17:53:39  <MarcoFalke> I can definetly break the links with a url like https://drahtbot.github.io/bitcoin_issue_redirect/1111
302 2018-11-01T17:53:39  <sipa> yeah, but that used to be pretty rare
303 2018-11-01T17:53:44  <gmaxwell> (I don't recall that but I figure I wouldn't have noticed because it would have been infrequent)
304 2018-11-01T17:54:09  <sipa> MarcoFalke: i think that would be useful if it's not too much work
305 2018-11-01T17:54:36  <MarcoFalke> Should be ~zero work. Static html should be sufficient
306 2018-11-01T17:55:13  <sipa> this is obviously some strange usage of the word zero that i wasn't previously aware of :)
307 2018-11-01T17:55:42  <MarcoFalke> ~zero == about zero == little
308 2018-11-01T17:58:23  <MarcoFalke> ryanofsky actually brought up the idea to have one comment per pull request that gets updated. That would be a bit more work, depending on how much I want to solve edit conflicts. (The bot runs in multiple processes)
309 2018-11-01T17:58:47  <MarcoFalke> Also it'd mean more empty comments
310 2018-11-01T17:59:13  <sipa> just one per PR
311 2018-11-01T18:00:20  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
312 2018-11-01T18:01:36  <ryanofsky> i think it'd be nice if draftbot just claimed and kept updating the first comment in every pr. especially if it could tell you useful status information, like how many acks the pr has
313 2018-11-01T18:02:37  <sipa> that would be great
314 2018-11-01T18:02:45  <sipa> (but quite a bit of work i imagine)
315 2018-11-01T18:03:49  <sipa> some review on #13501 would be welcome; it may fix some of the appveyor spurious failures
316 2018-11-01T18:03:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13501 | Correctly terminate HTTP server by promag · Pull Request #13501 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
317 2018-11-01T18:04:38  *** bitconner has quit IRC
318 2018-11-01T18:09:24  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2018-11-01T18:12:31  <jnewbery> MarcoFalke: sort-by-most-recent-change used to be the only thing I used, but it's mostly not very helpful now
320 2018-11-01T18:13:27  *** bitconner has quit IRC
321 2018-11-01T18:21:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2018-11-01T18:21:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] kostyantyn opened pull request #14633: Fix height serialization inside script of coinbase input (master...fix_height_serialization_in_coinbase) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14633
323 2018-11-01T18:21:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2018-11-01T18:27:34  <pierre_rochard> ryanofsky I added a question on the GH issue, for potential or current users of bitcoinacks: is "most-recent-change" preference to be the PR comment thread (excluding bots) or to the actual PR code?
325 2018-11-01T18:27:56  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
326 2018-11-01T18:28:27  *** rhavar has quit IRC
327 2018-11-01T18:28:29  <pierre_rochard> I can do both, I just want to avoid making the table wider than it already is if one is clearly more useful for reviewers
328 2018-11-01T18:28:39  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2018-11-01T18:34:30  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2018-11-01T18:36:46  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2018-11-01T18:37:29  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
332 2018-11-01T18:37:56  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2018-11-01T18:38:26  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
334 2018-11-01T18:38:58  *** grubles has quit IRC
335 2018-11-01T18:41:52  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
336 2018-11-01T18:41:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] JBaczuk closed pull request #14610: Docs: correction to test readme compile instructions (master...fix_test_readme_compile_instructions) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14610
337 2018-11-01T18:41:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
338 2018-11-01T18:53:18  <MarcoFalke> See for example https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14630#issuecomment-435107340 with the new redirect url
339 2018-11-01T18:53:25  <MarcoFalke> Let me know if it doesn't work for anyone
340 2018-11-01T18:56:36  *** bralyclo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
341 2018-11-01T18:59:16  <provoostenator> Ok, so I can confirm the meeting time sucks for Asia :-) But we already tried the poll thing. Back in Europe now.
342 2018-11-01T19:00:03  <MarcoFalke> huh, though I wonder if GitHub will update the "last-updated" when I edit (the first) or any comment
343 2018-11-01T19:00:54  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
344 2018-11-01T19:00:55  <MarcoFalke> meat thing?
345 2018-11-01T19:01:26  <jnewbery> wumpus ^
346 2018-11-01T19:01:42  <achow101> meat?
347 2018-11-01T19:01:44  <jnewbery> summer time is over
348 2018-11-01T19:01:47  <MarcoFalke> https://www.google.com/search?q=time+in+rejkjavik
349 2018-11-01T19:01:49  <MarcoFalke> 7pm
350 2018-11-01T19:01:53  <jnewbery> (in europe)
351 2018-11-01T19:02:58  <provoostenator> Summer time might even be permanently over in some parts of Europe
352 2018-11-01T19:03:10  <achow101> when does dst end in the us?
353 2018-11-01T19:03:15  <jnewbery> this sunday
354 2018-11-01T19:03:53  <jcorgan> in some parts of europe the idea of summer is merely a theoretical construct anyway
355 2018-11-01T19:04:17  <sipa> #startmeeting
356 2018-11-01T19:04:17  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Nov  1 19:04:17 2018 UTC.  The chair is sipa. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
357 2018-11-01T19:04:17  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
358 2018-11-01T19:04:30  <instagibbs> hi
359 2018-11-01T19:04:33  <sipa> topics?
360 2018-11-01T19:04:35  <MarcoFalke> hi
361 2018-11-01T19:04:41  <jnewbery> hi
362 2018-11-01T19:04:49  <luke-jr> suggested topic: do we have a way to test non-HD wallet code paths at this point? :/
363 2018-11-01T19:04:50  <MarcoFalke> Could someone do the ping string?
364 2018-11-01T19:05:05  <jnewbery> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
365 2018-11-01T19:05:08  <MarcoFalke> suggested topic: High priority for review
366 2018-11-01T19:05:08  <provoostenator> Topic suggesiton: wallet refactor progress
367 2018-11-01T19:05:09  <MarcoFalke> thx
368 2018-11-01T19:05:10  <jnewbery> that one?
369 2018-11-01T19:05:14  <sipa> thanks jnewbery
370 2018-11-01T19:05:27  <sipa> #topic high priority for review
371 2018-11-01T19:05:31  <sipa> let's start with that one
372 2018-11-01T19:05:44  <achow101> we should make a gribble command for the meeting ping
373 2018-11-01T19:06:05  <sipa> on the list are #14532 #14350 #14046
374 2018-11-01T19:06:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14532 | Never bind INADDR_ANY by default, and warn when doing so explicitly by luke-jr · Pull Request #14532 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
375 2018-11-01T19:06:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14350 | Add WalletLocation class by promag · Pull Request #14350 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
376 2018-11-01T19:06:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14046 | net: Refactor message parsing (CNetMessage), adds flexibility by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #14046 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
377 2018-11-01T19:06:54  <sipa> anyone wants to add/remove something?
378 2018-11-01T19:06:56  <meshcollider> Hi
379 2018-11-01T19:07:00  <kanzure> hi.
380 2018-11-01T19:07:11  <achow101> can I get #13932 on hi prio?
381 2018-11-01T19:07:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13932 | Additional utility RPCs for PSBT by achow101 · Pull Request #13932 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
382 2018-11-01T19:07:16  <achow101> I'll rebase it today
383 2018-11-01T19:07:56  <phantomcircuit> hello
384 2018-11-01T19:07:58  <luke-jr> usually hi-prio requires up-to-date-base before being added, but no reason it needs to be added during meetings
385 2018-11-01T19:08:09  <sipa> achow101: yeah, ping me when rebased
386 2018-11-01T19:08:14  <MarcoFalke> I'd like to propose #14437 if ryanofsky commits to rebasing it
387 2018-11-01T19:08:18  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14437 | Refactor: Start to separate wallet from node by ryanofsky · Pull Request #14437 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
388 2018-11-01T19:08:59  <provoostenator> ^ good idea, this new PR is much smaller than the original and a good start
389 2018-11-01T19:09:25  <sipa> i'd like to add #14477
390 2018-11-01T19:09:27  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14477 | Add ability to convert solvability info to descriptor by sipa · Pull Request #14477 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
391 2018-11-01T19:09:54  <provoostenator> ^ works for me
392 2018-11-01T19:10:11  <phantomcircuit> i believe #14336 is done and needs more eyeballs
393 2018-11-01T19:10:13  <sipa> done
394 2018-11-01T19:10:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14336 | net: implement poll by pstratem · Pull Request #14336 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
395 2018-11-01T19:10:24  <sipa> ryanofsky: happy to put on the list if up to date
396 2018-11-01T19:10:28  <sipa> phantomcircuit: ack
397 2018-11-01T19:10:44  <provoostenator> It also needs a more appealing description.
398 2018-11-01T19:10:56  <phantomcircuit> provoostenator, true
399 2018-11-01T19:10:59  <sipa> agree, but let's not do review in this meeting
400 2018-11-01T19:11:13  <MarcoFalke> Added #14437 and #14477
401 2018-11-01T19:11:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14437 | Refactor: Start to separate wallet from node by ryanofsky · Pull Request #14437 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
402 2018-11-01T19:11:16  <achow101> sipa: rebased it
403 2018-11-01T19:11:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14477 | Add ability to convert solvability info to descriptor by sipa · Pull Request #14477 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
404 2018-11-01T19:11:20  <provoostenator> No, that was more a general suggestion, some PR's have quite poor descriptions.
405 2018-11-01T19:11:50  <sipa> phantomcircuit: added to the list
406 2018-11-01T19:12:34  <sipa> achow101: done
407 2018-11-01T19:12:38  <sipa> ok
408 2018-11-01T19:12:45  <meshcollider> sipa: btw I realise 14477 duplicates the addition of solvable to getaddressinfo
409 2018-11-01T19:12:47  <luke-jr> provoostenator: more annoying is the intentionally confusing titles IMO :/
410 2018-11-01T19:12:52  <sipa> #topic do we have a way to test non-HD wallet code paths at this point?
411 2018-11-01T19:13:04  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2018-11-01T19:13:06  <sipa> luke-jr: ^
413 2018-11-01T19:13:07  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
414 2018-11-01T19:13:21  <luke-jr> yeah, it looks like -usehd removal just removed the tests :/
415 2018-11-01T19:13:33  <luke-jr> and I think it should get tested
416 2018-11-01T19:13:49  <provoostenator> Easiest solution might be just add a legacy wallet payload to the functional test suite and then load that.
417 2018-11-01T19:13:53  <achow101> there's no way to create a non-hd wallet, so they can't be tested unless a non-hd wallet is put into the test data
418 2018-11-01T19:14:02  <sipa> phantomcircuit: seems reasonable to me
419 2018-11-01T19:14:06  <MarcoFalke> sipa: Any reason why you added 13932 to "For backport" in high priority?
420 2018-11-01T19:14:06  <sipa> eh, provoostenator ^
421 2018-11-01T19:14:17  <MarcoFalke> It is tagged with 0.18.0
422 2018-11-01T19:14:18  <luke-jr> good idea, didn't think of that
423 2018-11-01T19:14:36  <provoostenator> Dynamic wallet loading feature is quite handy.
424 2018-11-01T19:14:38  <sipa> MarcoFalke: did i?
425 2018-11-01T19:14:50  <sipa> oh, indeed; fixed
426 2018-11-01T19:15:07  <luke-jr> or github did and attributed it to you? XD
427 2018-11-01T19:15:09  <gwillen> I would love for #14588 to get looked at, I don't know what the criteria for high priority are. :-) I did just rebase it.
428 2018-11-01T19:15:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14588 | Refactor PSBT signing logic to enforce invariant and fix signing bug by gwillen · Pull Request #14588 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
429 2018-11-01T19:15:35  <MarcoFalke> on topic: The way to test legacy wallet paths is #14536
430 2018-11-01T19:15:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14536 | functional test with ancient wallet.dat (upgrade test) · Issue #14536 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
431 2018-11-01T19:15:44  <sipa> gwillen: every active contributor gets to nominate one PR they want to encourage others to look at, because it is blocking their own work
432 2018-11-01T19:15:56  <jnewbery> lukejr: see also https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12134#issuecomment-430107394 . Having some different version wallet payloads in the test framework would be generally useful
433 2018-11-01T19:16:10  <sipa> yes, i agree
434 2018-11-01T19:16:38  <sipa> we do not care about the ability to create such wallets anymore, but as long as they're supported we should test them - especially we should test upgrade scenarios
435 2018-11-01T19:16:38  <jnewbery> ah, thanks Marco. I'll take a look at that
436 2018-11-01T19:16:51  <luke-jr> hmm
437 2018-11-01T19:17:02  <luke-jr> so we might actually want to run the wallet tests against N different wallets
438 2018-11-01T19:17:54  <sipa> i guess we may want to discuss different approaches on #14536?
439 2018-11-01T19:17:57  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14536 | functional test with ancient wallet.dat (upgrade test) · Issue #14536 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
440 2018-11-01T19:21:07  <luke-jr> sgtm
441 2018-11-01T19:21:09  <sipa> anything more on this topic?
442 2018-11-01T19:21:30  <sipa> #topic wallet refactor progress
443 2018-11-01T19:21:33  <sipa> provoostenator: ^
444 2018-11-01T19:22:08  <provoostenator> sipa: you've been adding a lot of descriptor magic, which is great
445 2018-11-01T19:22:14  <provoostenator> What's next?
446 2018-11-01T19:22:25  <provoostenator> And do we want to have a seperate recurring wallet-refactor meeting?
447 2018-11-01T19:22:27  <sipa> provoostenator: tomorrow's wallet meeting (DING DING reminder)
448 2018-11-01T19:22:37  <provoostenator> TIL, nice
449 2018-11-01T19:22:38  <sipa> provoostenator: yes, we had the first one 2 weeks ago
450 2018-11-01T19:22:40  <instagibbs> waiting for review go ahead for #14565
451 2018-11-01T19:22:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14565 | Overhaul importmulti logic by sipa · Pull Request #14565 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
452 2018-11-01T19:22:54  <instagibbs> in prep for importmulti descriptor..
453 2018-11-01T19:22:57  <provoostenator> What time?
454 2018-11-01T19:23:14  <sipa> provoostenator: same time as this meeting, but a day later, and only every 2 weeks
455 2018-11-01T19:24:08  <sipa> more concretely what's next: * the current "old style" descriptor import (which downconverts the descriptor to the existing wallet structures)
456 2018-11-01T19:24:11  <achow101> #14491 implements descriptor import for importmulti, although that should probably be rebased onto #14565
457 2018-11-01T19:24:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14491 | Allow descriptor imports with importmulti by MeshCollider · Pull Request #14491 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
458 2018-11-01T19:24:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14565 | Overhaul importmulti logic by sipa · Pull Request #14565 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
459 2018-11-01T19:24:26  <sipa> yup, that
460 2018-11-01T19:24:49  <sipa> then some preparation work for being able to use descriptors instead of keypools (which requires logic for caching pubkeys etc), i plan to work on that
461 2018-11-01T19:25:02  <meshcollider> Yep I'll rebase it as soon as 14565 is in
462 2018-11-01T19:25:17  <provoostenator> Sweet, that should make achow101's hardware wallet stuff easier too.
463 2018-11-01T19:25:49  <provoostenator> Feel free to tag me on those PRs, in case I miss them.
464 2018-11-01T19:25:53  <sipa> with follow up some refactoring to move the existing keypool/ismine logic behind an abstraction that can be instantiated with the old logic, or descriptors (so we can natively import descriptors)
465 2018-11-01T19:25:57  <achow101> provoostenator: instagibbs: the plan is to make hwi do things with descriptors instead of the different pubkey stuff I was doing earlier
466 2018-11-01T19:26:15  <sipa> and i think independently there is also a possibility for a few more RPCs now, like PSBT signing that takes descriptors as inpit
467 2018-11-01T19:26:17  <instagibbs> achow101, That was my assumption
468 2018-11-01T19:26:52  <achow101> so i'll have to rebase #14075 on top of 14491
469 2018-11-01T19:26:54  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14075 | Import watch only pubkeys to the keypool if private keys are disabled by achow101 · Pull Request #14075 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
470 2018-11-01T19:26:55  <achow101> probably
471 2018-11-01T19:27:27  <instagibbs> should be simply
472 2018-11-01T19:27:58  <sipa> there are other wallet related topics, like ryanofsky's wallet separation
473 2018-11-01T19:28:01  <sipa> ryanofsky: here?
474 2018-11-01T19:28:10  <ryanofsky> yes sir
475 2018-11-01T19:28:16  <sipa> or maybe we can bring that up in tomorrow's meeting
476 2018-11-01T19:28:33  <provoostenator> Thanks for the quick overview, happy to wait until tomorrow for more details.
477 2018-11-01T19:28:40  <sipa> it's on high priority too, so hopefully it can get some more attention
478 2018-11-01T19:28:59  <sipa> if that's enough for this topic, i have another one myself: appveyor failures
479 2018-11-01T19:29:21  <phantomcircuit> sipa, the wallet stuff seems to be sort of a specialized thing
480 2018-11-01T19:29:37  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
481 2018-11-01T19:29:39  <phantomcircuit> it's pretty difficult to maintain any idea of how it's working unless you're spending a lot of time looking at it
482 2018-11-01T19:30:04  <provoostenator> The refactoring seems to be taking it to a place where it's easier to understand.
483 2018-11-01T19:30:11  <sipa> phantomcircuit: yeah... i hope it will improve in the future
484 2018-11-01T19:30:18  <provoostenator> I generally find the "after" code a lot more readable than the "before" code.
485 2018-11-01T19:30:41  <provoostenator> And descriptors are very useful.
486 2018-11-01T19:31:11  <luke-jr> they even do the dishes
487 2018-11-01T19:31:44  <sipa> ha
488 2018-11-01T19:32:34  <sipa> #topic appveyor failures
489 2018-11-01T19:32:56  <sipa> i find it pretty annoying that appveyor currently spuriously fails quite frequently
490 2018-11-01T19:33:04  <jnewbery> they're annoying
491 2018-11-01T19:33:08  <meshcollider> Indeed
492 2018-11-01T19:33:18  <sipa> there's an open issue (#14446)
493 2018-11-01T19:33:19  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14446 | tests: Some issue about running functional tests on Windows · Issue #14446 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
494 2018-11-01T19:33:23  <provoostenator> Is it fixable or is there an alternative platform?
495 2018-11-01T19:33:37  <provoostenator> Because ignoring Windows may be less annoying, but not a good idea :-)
496 2018-11-01T19:33:41  <sipa> and one alleged improvement to it, #13501, which i think should urgently get some attention
497 2018-11-01T19:33:43  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13501 | Correctly terminate HTTP server by promag · Pull Request #13501 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
498 2018-11-01T19:33:58  <sipa> provoostenator: it's doing MSVC builds and MinGW on windows, which aren't used for any production binaries
499 2018-11-01T19:34:26  <sipa> so they're useful in likely testing for other types of issues by means of platform variety, but they're not necessarily issues that affect real production deployments
500 2018-11-01T19:34:48  <luke-jr> sipa: well, we don't test Windows binaries when built on gitian/Linux, right?
501 2018-11-01T19:34:53  <luke-jr> with CI I mean
502 2018-11-01T19:35:00  <sipa> luke-jr: that's fair!
503 2018-11-01T19:35:44  <sipa> anyway, i'd just very much like to get some attention to improving this, as continuously seeing red crosses in travis is pretty annoying
504 2018-11-01T19:36:31  <luke-jr> for now I just ignore the appveyor failures on my PRs
505 2018-11-01T19:37:46  <sipa> anyone have other topics?
506 2018-11-01T19:38:31  <meshcollider> It is quite easy to restart appveyor in the same way to restart Travis btw, if it fails
507 2018-11-01T19:38:45  <sipa> meshcollider: yes, i've restarted dozens of appveyor failures the past days...
508 2018-11-01T19:40:14  <sipa> #topic open floor: what are people working on?
509 2018-11-01T19:40:23  <jarthur> I'd bring up unix socket RPC topic again, but haven't had time to think about it. It sounded like folks are ok if it needs to go forward on bitcoind even if cli only has TCP, provided there are thorough tests.
510 2018-11-01T19:40:26  <luke-jr> rebasing all my PRs :x
511 2018-11-01T19:41:22  <sipa> jarthur: i personally am ok with that, especially since we have an option to use a different HTTP implementation in bitcoin-cli
512 2018-11-01T19:41:22  <achow101> psbt + hww stuff ..... and taking lots of exams
513 2018-11-01T19:41:29  <jnewbery> sipa: still not enough, but hoping to spend much more time reviewing wallet PRs before the end of the year
514 2018-11-01T19:41:31  <sipa> achow101: good luck!
515 2018-11-01T19:43:17  <sipa> i've picked up looking at private authentication again (being able to tell a peer is one of multiple acceptable peers who pubkey you know, but they don't learn who you were looking for, and you don't learn who they are, just that they're part of your acceptable set)... this is probably too novel to deploy, but it's a fun exercise
516 2018-11-01T19:43:51  <sipa> jnewbery: cool :)
517 2018-11-01T19:44:11  <instagibbs> jnewbery, same, as well as HWI assistance
518 2018-11-01T19:45:00  *** bitconner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
519 2018-11-01T19:45:10  <meshcollider> I want to continue focusing on the wallet rework and everything mainly and reviewing wallet stuff like jnewbery
520 2018-11-01T19:45:35  <meshcollider> And exams like achow101 xD
521 2018-11-01T19:46:04  <sipa> perhaps you guys should collaborate on the exam thing? :p
522 2018-11-01T19:46:31  <sipa> ok, any more topics?
523 2018-11-01T19:47:01  <meshcollider> sipa: lol, he can write it and I'll review :)
524 2018-11-01T19:47:47  <luke-jr> LOL
525 2018-11-01T19:47:52  <luke-jr> open source exam answers
526 2018-11-01T19:48:24  <sipa> #endmeeting
527 2018-11-01T19:48:24  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Nov  1 19:48:24 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
528 2018-11-01T19:48:24  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-11-01-19.04.html
529 2018-11-01T19:48:24  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-11-01-19.04.txt
530 2018-11-01T19:48:24  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-11-01-19.04.log.html
531 2018-11-01T19:48:44  <sipa> thanks all
532 2018-11-01T19:50:41  <wumpus> oh crap I missed the meeting due to daylight saving difference, sorry
533 2018-11-01T19:51:09  <achow101> wumpus: don't worry, all of us in the US will do the same next week
534 2018-11-01T19:51:20  * wumpus wants to move to iceland...
535 2018-11-01T19:51:50  <luke-jr> achow101: not those of us who use Tonal
536 2018-11-01T19:52:35  *** ExtraCrispy has quit IRC
537 2018-11-01T19:53:25  <sipa> wumpus: isn't the EU going to abolish DST?
538 2018-11-01T19:53:57  <provoostenator> EU in bureaucratic tradition decided to make it up to individual countries.
539 2018-11-01T19:54:26  <sipa> so reminder: the meeting time next week will be 11am west coast, 2pm east coast, 20:00 central european
540 2018-11-01T19:54:28  <provoostenator> Some of which think it's a good idea to make DST permanent.
541 2018-11-01T19:54:48  <sipa> provoostenator: yeah, i saw that - making the netherlands and belgium generally 2 hours off solar time
542 2018-11-01T19:54:55  <sipa> or 1:40 at least
543 2018-11-01T19:55:01  <provoostenator> With sunrise in winter at 9:50am
544 2018-11-01T19:55:33  <luke-jr> what is solar time?
545 2018-11-01T19:55:44  <provoostenator> 12:00 should be when the sun is directly overhead
546 2018-11-01T19:55:57  <provoostenator> which in my opinion should be done per city :-)
547 2018-11-01T19:55:58  <luke-jr> ah
548 2018-11-01T19:56:03  <sipa> provoostenator: the sun is never directly overhead unless you're between the tropics
549 2018-11-01T19:56:16  <sipa> you mean having the sun at its highest point at 12:00
550 2018-11-01T19:56:22  <provoostenator> Yes
551 2018-11-01T19:56:27  <luke-jr> usually I have a roof between me and the sun
552 2018-11-01T19:56:37  * sipa is in favor of 1 timezone per continent
553 2018-11-01T19:57:16  * luke-jr is in favour of 1 timezone period and everyone just gets used to what times the sun rises and falls in their own region
554 2018-11-01T19:57:39  <wumpus> sipa: I hope they will, I really do
555 2018-11-01T19:58:22  <provoostenator> Gondwana time?
556 2018-11-01T19:58:42  <luke-jr> ?
557 2018-11-01T19:59:05  <provoostenator> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana
558 2018-11-01T19:59:09  <luke-jr> provoostenator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hexadecimal_Clock_by_Nystrom.jpg
559 2018-11-01T19:59:15  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
560 2018-11-01T20:03:02  <phantomcircuit> sipa, appveyor failed on 14336...
561 2018-11-01T20:03:14  <phantomcircuit> (i added a comment and now it fails
562 2018-11-01T20:09:05  <wumpus> wasn't that just a random failure?
563 2018-11-01T20:14:06  *** clarkmoo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2018-11-01T20:14:06  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
565 2018-11-01T20:17:22  *** clarkmoody has quit IRC
566 2018-11-01T20:17:23  <phantomcircuit> wumpus, yes he's been resetting them
567 2018-11-01T20:17:28  <phantomcircuit> obviously not a long term solution
568 2018-11-01T20:23:56  <MarcoFalke> agree. I wasn't expecting we see so much failures nor that it takes so long to fix them.
569 2018-11-01T20:24:10  <MarcoFalke> Might want to disable most of the functional tests for now on windows.
570 2018-11-01T20:24:25  <MarcoFalke> And make it a target to fix them until 0.18.0?
571 2018-11-01T20:24:36  <sipa> well let's see how things improve with #13501 first?
572 2018-11-01T20:24:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13501 | Correctly terminate HTTP server by promag · Pull Request #13501 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
573 2018-11-01T20:26:21  <MarcoFalke> yeah, fine. I am not fluent in libevent, so at least I can't review it apart from Concept ACK
574 2018-11-01T20:29:38  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: appveyor has been kind of flakey since the beginning, I don't put as much weight in its result as travis'
575 2018-11-01T20:29:57  <wumpus> it's useful to see what the windows build does, but not a merge blocker for me
576 2018-11-01T20:30:20  <esotericnonsense> the worst thing about the EU DST thing is brexit.
577 2018-11-01T20:30:31  <esotericnonsense> it could have been glorious. i could be in UTC _forever_.
578 2018-11-01T20:30:37  <esotericnonsense> this is so much worse than mass deportations etc.
579 2018-11-01T20:33:36  <esotericnonsense> (ok technically I'd be in GMT, but whatever).
580 2018-11-01T20:35:15  *** ezzzy has quit IRC
581 2018-11-01T20:42:42  <sipa> wumpus: i wish there was a way to have it report its status without changing the PR's "CI passed" status
582 2018-11-01T20:43:31  <wumpus> sipa: agree that would be useful
583 2018-11-01T20:44:12  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
584 2018-11-01T20:50:16  <wumpus> provoostenator: heh I'd never heard of Gondwana, just Pangaea
585 2018-11-01T21:02:28  *** jarthur has quit IRC
586 2018-11-01T21:08:23  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2018-11-01T21:14:30  *** ken2812221_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
588 2018-11-01T21:17:24  *** nejon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
589 2018-11-01T21:17:28  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
590 2018-11-01T21:17:34  *** clarkmoo_ has quit IRC
591 2018-11-01T21:18:06  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2018-11-01T21:19:12  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
593 2018-11-01T21:19:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ryanofsky opened pull request #14635: developer-notes: allow lowerCamelCase (master...pr/camelow) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14635
594 2018-11-01T21:19:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2018-11-01T21:26:12  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2018-11-01T21:26:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ryanofsky opened pull request #14636: Avoid using numeric_limits for sequence numbers and lock times (master...pr/climit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14636
597 2018-11-01T21:26:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
598 2018-11-01T21:32:24  *** josephnicholas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2018-11-01T21:36:48  *** josephnicholas has quit IRC
600 2018-11-01T21:40:06  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
601 2018-11-01T21:41:27  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
602 2018-11-01T21:43:34  *** dgenr8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
603 2018-11-01T21:44:34  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
604 2018-11-01T21:57:40  *** Murch has quit IRC
605 2018-11-01T22:14:29  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
606 2018-11-01T22:16:23  *** mrush has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2018-11-01T22:21:44  *** mrush has quit IRC
608 2018-11-01T22:26:05  *** mrush has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
609 2018-11-01T22:27:12  *** mrush has quit IRC
610 2018-11-01T22:28:26  *** mrush has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
611 2018-11-01T22:31:06  *** mrush has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
612 2018-11-01T22:32:32  *** mrush has quit IRC
613 2018-11-01T22:33:09  *** mrush has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2018-11-01T22:34:10  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
615 2018-11-01T22:35:07  *** cubancorona has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
616 2018-11-01T22:41:06  *** Murch has quit IRC
617 2018-11-01T22:45:03  *** spinza has quit IRC
618 2018-11-01T22:46:00  *** mrush has left #bitcoin-core-dev
619 2018-11-01T22:51:20  *** lukedashjr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
620 2018-11-01T22:53:15  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
621 2018-11-01T22:55:52  *** lukedashjr is now known as luke-jr
622 2018-11-01T22:59:11  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
623 2018-11-01T23:09:15  *** booyah has quit IRC
624 2018-11-01T23:10:11  *** morcos has quit IRC
625 2018-11-01T23:10:18  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
626 2018-11-01T23:16:35  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
627 2018-11-01T23:22:06  *** morcos has quit IRC
628 2018-11-01T23:22:40  *** sipa has quit IRC
629 2018-11-01T23:24:18  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
630 2018-11-01T23:26:05  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
631 2018-11-01T23:26:32  *** teardown has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
632 2018-11-01T23:27:18  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2018-11-01T23:27:49  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2018-11-01T23:30:51  *** wxss has quit IRC
635 2018-11-01T23:35:20  *** hebasto has quit IRC
636 2018-11-01T23:38:08  *** teardown has quit IRC
637 2018-11-01T23:44:13  *** teardown has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2018-11-01T23:48:40  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
639 2018-11-01T23:48:44  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2018-11-01T23:51:35  *** shesek has quit IRC
641 2018-11-01T23:52:51  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2018-11-01T23:54:32  <meshcollider> maybe appveyor could call drahtbot in a build_failure webhook and then report success anyway
643 2018-11-01T23:54:36  *** shesek has quit IRC
644 2018-11-01T23:54:40  <meshcollider> then drahtbot could just comment or something
645 2018-11-01T23:55:55  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2018-11-01T23:59:16  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev