1 2018-12-20T00:02:21  *** jarthur has quit IRC
  2 2018-12-20T00:04:17  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2018-12-20T00:08:56  *** mileschet has quit IRC
  4 2018-12-20T00:20:22  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2018-12-20T00:25:18  *** mileschet has quit IRC
  6 2018-12-20T00:27:08  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2018-12-20T00:28:19  <jnewbery> achow101: +1. I think we'd want to merge #13100 (and hence complete https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/2) before we enforced that
  8 2018-12-20T00:28:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
  9 2018-12-20T00:36:15  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2018-12-20T00:38:01  <sipa> jnewbery: (can't comment on github right now) i intentionally do not want to print private keys in error messages; they may be logged in places where they shouldn't
 11 2018-12-20T00:41:37  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 12 2018-12-20T00:42:09  *** checkinn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2018-12-20T00:47:33  *** checkinn has quit IRC
 14 2018-12-20T00:52:02  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2018-12-20T00:53:12  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 16 2018-12-20T00:56:49  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 17 2018-12-20T01:07:49  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2018-12-20T01:09:20  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2018-12-20T01:09:38  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2018-12-20T01:11:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 21 2018-12-20T01:12:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2018-12-20T01:12:38  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 23 2018-12-20T01:15:27  *** shesek has quit IRC
 24 2018-12-20T01:15:45  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2018-12-20T01:24:00  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2018-12-20T01:28:51  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 27 2018-12-20T01:39:44  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2018-12-20T01:42:04  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2018-12-20T01:42:32  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 30 2018-12-20T01:44:16  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 31 2018-12-20T01:44:28  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2018-12-20T01:46:22  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2018-12-20T01:49:27  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 34 2018-12-20T01:49:40  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 35 2018-12-20T01:51:07  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 36 2018-12-20T01:55:02  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2018-12-20T01:55:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2018-12-20T01:57:16  *** shesek has quit IRC
 39 2018-12-20T01:57:34  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2018-12-20T02:05:26  *** dviola has quit IRC
 41 2018-12-20T02:05:42  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2018-12-20T02:05:42  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2018-12-20T02:06:17  *** ariard has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2018-12-20T02:06:37  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 45 2018-12-20T02:08:29  <promag> jnewbery: #13100 branch locally has a pile of changes, maybe I should cut down to the minimum and improve on follow ups
 46 2018-12-20T02:08:32  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 47 2018-12-20T02:14:37  <gwillen> I ran into an interesting wallet issue with multisig when trying to demo my offline signing work that's still ongoing
 48 2018-12-20T02:14:44  *** e4xit has quit IRC
 49 2018-12-20T02:15:03  <gwillen> which is that (1) there's no way to stop a wallet that I intend to use as only-watchonly from generating keys, and (2) spending from a multisig automatically sends change to those keys I didn't actually want generated
 50 2018-12-20T02:15:37  <gwillen> I suspect that RPC users of multisig are already aware of this footgun and handle change manually, and I am planning to adopt "manual change address" as a stopgap for GUI use
 51 2018-12-20T02:15:55  <gwillen> until we have descriptors which should hopefully solve this
 52 2018-12-20T02:16:13  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2018-12-20T02:16:17  <gwillen> but I'm going to push again for the idea that a given wallet ought to be either only-watchonly or non-watchonly
 54 2018-12-20T02:16:40  <gwillen> and that mixing a local keypool into a transaction sending from not the local keypool is scary
 55 2018-12-20T02:17:07  <gwillen> although I guess I asked for this kind of issue by tricking / cajoling the wallet into creating a transaction spending from a "solvable" but not "spendable" coin
 56 2018-12-20T02:17:13  <gwillen> because what else should it do
 57 2018-12-20T02:17:34  <sipa> gwillen: there is a recently introduced feature to make a wallet in no-private-keys mode
 58 2018-12-20T02:18:35  <gwillen> ooh, beautiful, that sounds perfect for preventing this
 59 2018-12-20T02:18:47  <gwillen> do you happen to know, if the wallet is called on to create change in that mode, what will it do? Just give up?
 60 2018-12-20T02:19:13  <gwillen> (and how do I engage this mode)
 61 2018-12-20T02:19:47  <sipa> i don't know; i'm currebtly flying, it's a bit hard to check :)
 62 2018-12-20T02:19:54  <gwillen> (and does it make sense that I imagine descriptors will solve this, since if I'm spending from a given descriptor, that same descriptor or a related descriptor should be used to derive where change goes?)
 63 2018-12-20T02:20:06  <gwillen> np, I'm about to head to dinner anyway, just wanted to start thinking about it
 64 2018-12-20T02:21:38  <sipa> gwillen: no, you'll just have 2 specially designated descriptors in a wallet; one where receive addresses are drawn from, and one where change is drawn from
 65 2018-12-20T02:22:00  <sipa> so yes, that's a solution by making change selection explicit and separate from the wallet's keys
 66 2018-12-20T02:23:40  <gwillen> ok great, thanks for validating my hope that all my problems will be solved in the future
 67 2018-12-20T02:24:05  <gwillen> I know I said that I didn't want to wait for descriptors, but actually the change problem means this is going to kind of suck without them
 68 2018-12-20T02:24:22  <gwillen> it's going to have to be either manual change or address reuse
 69 2018-12-20T02:24:50  *** promag has quit IRC
 70 2018-12-20T02:25:30  <gwillen> do descriptors-as-envisioned have support for HD + multisig in some fashion?
 71 2018-12-20T02:25:58  <sipa> ure
 72 2018-12-20T02:26:00  <sipa> sure
 73 2018-12-20T02:26:07  <gwillen> I assume it would be something like "2 of 3 of keys derived from X/Y/Z" and it automatically increments all three together, or something, when generating a new address?
 74 2018-12-20T02:26:45  <gwillen> (the question also came up in conversation today of whether there is a good way to support multiple people generating addresses from the same keys e.g. the holders of a multisig, and not accidentally generating the same address)
 75 2018-12-20T02:26:46  <sipa> yes... have you ever read the descriptors description (no pun intended)?
 76 2018-12-20T02:26:54  <sipa> doc/descriptors.md in the repo
 77 2018-12-20T02:26:55  <gwillen> (e.g. by letting them generate from different subpaths)
 78 2018-12-20T02:27:00  <gwillen> ha, it's been awhile, I will reread, thanks
 79 2018-12-20T02:27:51  <gwillen> ah yes, I see it specifically addresses this, cool
 80 2018-12-20T02:28:06  <sipa> you can just say mukti(2,xpubpath/*,xpub/path/*,xpub/path/*) and it will expand to equal-last-index entries from the xpubs
 81 2018-12-20T02:28:11  <sipa> *multi
 82 2018-12-20T02:28:12  <gwillen> *nods*
 83 2018-12-20T02:28:59  <gwillen> and I guess supporting multiple derivation paths would be easiest by just using multiple descriptors
 84 2018-12-20T02:29:28  <gwillen> e.g. I have a wallet that has "my" descriptors that it uses to generate addresses, and "your" descriptors that it only uses to watch the chain, and it treats them both as "mine"
 85 2018-12-20T02:29:39  <sipa> right
 86 2018-12-20T02:29:44  <gwillen> (this is purely to prevent collisions if we're independently generating receive addresses to the same wallet)
 87 2018-12-20T02:45:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2018-12-20T02:48:02  *** spinza has quit IRC
 89 2018-12-20T02:50:08  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 90 2018-12-20T02:50:25  *** alpalp has quit IRC
 91 2018-12-20T02:59:42  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2018-12-20T03:03:17  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2018-12-20T03:04:27  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 94 2018-12-20T03:15:29  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2018-12-20T03:19:14  *** drexl has quit IRC
 96 2018-12-20T03:20:28  *** mileschet has quit IRC
 97 2018-12-20T03:23:40  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2018-12-20T03:26:55  <achow101> gwillen: createwallet has a disable private keys parameter so you can make a wallet without any privkeys
 99 2018-12-20T03:28:13  *** mileschet has quit IRC
100 2018-12-20T03:39:23  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2018-12-20T03:39:31  <gwillen> achow101: thanks, I hadn't been using createwallet, I was just adding --wallet= and it created it for me
102 2018-12-20T03:43:22  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2018-12-20T03:44:12  *** mileschet has quit IRC
104 2018-12-20T03:57:23  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
105 2018-12-20T03:59:05  *** bgibson has quit IRC
106 2018-12-20T04:01:17  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
107 2018-12-20T04:01:58  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2018-12-20T04:19:00  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2018-12-20T04:26:24  *** DougieBot5000 has quit IRC
110 2018-12-20T04:37:57  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
111 2018-12-20T04:46:13  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2018-12-20T04:51:31  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
113 2018-12-20T05:08:27  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
114 2018-12-20T05:10:58  *** Cory has quit IRC
115 2018-12-20T05:13:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
116 2018-12-20T05:14:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2018-12-20T05:16:51  *** Pasha has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2018-12-20T05:18:49  *** gkrizek[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2018-12-20T05:20:02  *** Pasha is now known as Cory
120 2018-12-20T05:20:05  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2018-12-20T05:21:45  *** gkrizek[m] has left #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2018-12-20T05:25:45  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
123 2018-12-20T05:28:41  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2018-12-20T05:40:17  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2018-12-20T05:44:47  *** mileschet has quit IRC
126 2018-12-20T05:50:49  *** DougieBot5000 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2018-12-20T05:54:30  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
128 2018-12-20T05:56:29  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2018-12-20T06:01:10  *** mileschet has quit IRC
130 2018-12-20T06:07:18  *** aqk has quit IRC
131 2018-12-20T06:07:55  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2018-12-20T06:08:06  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2018-12-20T06:08:11  *** danra has quit IRC
134 2018-12-20T06:10:24  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
135 2018-12-20T06:11:41  *** Murch has quit IRC
136 2018-12-20T06:12:30  *** aqk has quit IRC
137 2018-12-20T06:17:10  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2018-12-20T06:21:17  *** aqk has quit IRC
139 2018-12-20T06:26:26  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2018-12-20T06:30:45  *** aqk has quit IRC
141 2018-12-20T06:34:22  *** jarthur has quit IRC
142 2018-12-20T06:35:38  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2018-12-20T06:41:14  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2018-12-20T06:45:58  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
145 2018-12-20T06:48:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2018-12-20T06:53:19  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
147 2018-12-20T06:54:37  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2018-12-20T06:57:51  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2018-12-20T07:00:27  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
150 2018-12-20T07:03:23  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2018-12-20T07:06:07  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
152 2018-12-20T07:06:25  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2018-12-20T07:22:54  *** grubles has quit IRC
154 2018-12-20T07:31:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2018-12-20T07:41:16  *** promag has quit IRC
156 2018-12-20T07:47:50  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2018-12-20T07:56:54  *** aqk has quit IRC
158 2018-12-20T07:57:21  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2018-12-20T07:59:53  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2018-12-20T08:02:34  *** mileschet has quit IRC
161 2018-12-20T08:04:07  *** aqk has quit IRC
162 2018-12-20T08:09:08  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2018-12-20T08:14:24  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2018-12-20T08:17:01  *** aqk has quit IRC
165 2018-12-20T08:17:57  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2018-12-20T08:18:57  *** mileschet has quit IRC
167 2018-12-20T08:21:02  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2018-12-20T08:21:46  *** dviola has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2018-12-20T08:25:49  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2018-12-20T08:27:44  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2018-12-20T08:30:44  *** mileschet has quit IRC
172 2018-12-20T08:31:47  *** aqk has quit IRC
173 2018-12-20T08:35:35  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2018-12-20T08:40:07  *** mileschet has quit IRC
175 2018-12-20T08:46:44  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2018-12-20T08:49:26  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2018-12-20T08:50:47  *** aqk has quit IRC
178 2018-12-20T08:51:20  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2018-12-20T08:53:47  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
180 2018-12-20T08:56:17  *** mileschet has quit IRC
181 2018-12-20T09:01:53  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2018-12-20T09:07:39  *** kabaum has quit IRC
183 2018-12-20T09:14:02  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2018-12-20T09:15:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
185 2018-12-20T09:16:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2018-12-20T09:23:00  *** kabaum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2018-12-20T09:25:47  *** ken2812221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
188 2018-12-20T09:27:55  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2018-12-20T09:34:17  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2018-12-20T09:36:24  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2018-12-20T09:41:12  *** aqk has quit IRC
192 2018-12-20T09:48:54  *** cluelessperson has quit IRC
193 2018-12-20T09:52:42  *** cluelessperson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2018-12-20T10:04:10  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2018-12-20T10:08:14  <meshcollider> Is there a meeting tomorrow or not due to Christmas?
196 2018-12-20T10:08:28  <meshcollider> Today* for some of you in incorrect timezones
197 2018-12-20T10:10:24  *** aqk has quit IRC
198 2018-12-20T10:15:41  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2018-12-20T10:18:08  <sipa> meetings are cancelled for the holidays i think
200 2018-12-20T10:18:36  *** cluelessperson has quit IRC
201 2018-12-20T10:20:10  *** aqk has quit IRC
202 2018-12-20T10:23:02  *** cluelessperson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2018-12-20T10:25:38  *** danra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2018-12-20T10:30:21  *** JIZHANHUANG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2018-12-20T10:32:22  *** JIZHANHUANG has quit IRC
206 2018-12-20T10:34:03  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2018-12-20T10:34:51  *** dviola has quit IRC
208 2018-12-20T10:35:48  <meshcollider> Ok
209 2018-12-20T10:37:51  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
210 2018-12-20T10:38:06  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2018-12-20T10:38:34  *** aqk has quit IRC
212 2018-12-20T10:42:58  *** Murch has quit IRC
213 2018-12-20T10:46:48  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2018-12-20T10:50:13  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2018-12-20T10:50:50  *** spinza has quit IRC
216 2018-12-20T10:52:28  <provoostenator> I still don't like that -wallet automatically creates a new wallet.
217 2018-12-20T10:52:32  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2018-12-20T10:52:51  <promag> provoostenator: why?
219 2018-12-20T10:53:13  <provoostenator> Because of the confusion gwillen described, but also because a typo leads to a new wallet.
220 2018-12-20T10:53:25  <provoostenator> E.g. forgetting to add ".dat"
221 2018-12-20T10:53:42  <promag> the same typo can happen in createwallet rpc?
222 2018-12-20T10:54:08  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2018-12-20T10:54:15  <provoostenator> The problem is when you're trying to open an existing wallet and instead it creates a new one.
224 2018-12-20T10:54:38  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
225 2018-12-20T10:55:06  <promag> ah
226 2018-12-20T10:55:21  <provoostenator> The behavior made sense before we had dynamic wallet loading support, but I think it could be deprecated now, e.g. initially with a warning "In the future, use createwallet to create a new wallet"
227 2018-12-20T10:56:14  <promag> provoostenator: we need #13100 first
228 2018-12-20T10:56:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
229 2018-12-20T10:56:46  *** aqk has quit IRC
230 2018-12-20T10:56:50  <promag> but I think that's reasonable
231 2018-12-20T10:57:20  <promag> provoostenator: another alternative is to create wallet if -wallet is specified on the command line
232 2018-12-20T10:57:28  <promag> -wallet on the config only loads?
233 2018-12-20T10:58:28  <promag> otoh, if you want to launch a container and create a wallet xxx how would you do it?
234 2018-12-20T11:00:28  <promag> for instance, postgres docker image has an entrypoint that initializes the database on the first run, and in that script it waits for the server to be available to execute the init sql
235 2018-12-20T11:01:48  <promag> deprecate -wallet and add both -createwallet and -loadwallet
236 2018-12-20T11:05:40  <provoostenator> Getting 13100 in makes sense for the GUI, but creating new wallets is "advanced" enough in my opinion that we can ask users to use the RPC console for that. But let's just get it merged.
237 2018-12-20T11:06:05  <provoostenator> Not a fan of making commandline behavior different from config file.
238 2018-12-20T11:06:55  <provoostenator> Interesting point about doing things on first.
239 2018-12-20T11:06:58  <provoostenator> lad
240 2018-12-20T11:06:59  <provoostenator> load
241 2018-12-20T11:07:25  <provoostenator> That's a genertic problem though, most RPC operations don't immediately work. We could add a "wait_for_rpc_to_wake_up" ish call.
242 2018-12-20T11:08:27  <provoostenator> The last time I had to deal with that issue I just polled until it stopped throwing errors :-)
243 2018-12-20T11:09:04  <gmaxwell> we have a longstanding request to only create wallets when either told to encrypt OR when asked for an address.
244 2018-12-20T11:09:31  <gmaxwell> As this would fix the problem of an unencrypted wallet being created first and ending up with a bunch of unused retired keys in it when you encrypt.
245 2018-12-20T11:10:09  <gmaxwell> also solves the problem where the user starts up, backs up their wallet, then encrypts .... and doesn't backup again, and their backup is no good. (solves it because there wouldn't be a wallet file to backup at that point)
246 2018-12-20T11:10:16  <provoostenator> There's that issue too. It could be solved by adding a password argument to createwallet.
247 2018-12-20T11:10:27  <provoostenator> However that doesn't handle the default wallet case.
248 2018-12-20T11:10:38  <gmaxwell> there shouldn't be a default wallet, is what I'm saying
249 2018-12-20T11:10:52  <gmaxwell> one should get created on demand.
250 2018-12-20T11:11:03  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2018-12-20T11:11:15  <gmaxwell> We tried to make the change previously but prior to dynamic wallet support it wasn't easy to implement, it probably is now.
252 2018-12-20T11:11:18  <provoostenator> Ah yes, then the entire problem goes away. RPC methods that expect a wallet would just throw "create wallet first", and the GUI would have to be smart enough to create a wallet just in time.
253 2018-12-20T11:11:39  <gmaxwell> Right.
254 2018-12-20T11:12:09  <gmaxwell> and it would also improve the problem that developers get where you end up with 50 wallet files and aren't sure which of them you can throw away. :P
255 2018-12-20T11:12:42  <provoostenator> That indeed seems doable once 13100 is in. promag: when rebase? :-)
256 2018-12-20T11:12:56  <sipa> december 23rd seems like a good date to get rid of openssl: https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2018/12/20/20years/
257 2018-12-20T11:13:05  <gmaxwell> and yes, indeed, create should be able to take a passphrase so that a wallet can be born encrypted.
258 2018-12-20T11:13:17  <sipa> gmaxwell: there is a PR for that
259 2018-12-20T11:13:31  <sipa> #15006
260 2018-12-20T11:13:32  <promag> provoostenator: it will be your xmas gift :D
261 2018-12-20T11:13:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15006 | Add option to create an encrypted wallet by achow101 · Pull Request #15006 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
262 2018-12-20T11:14:02  <provoostenator> promag: awesome. I'm fine with the idea of splitting the prerequisite stuff out of it, but I also think the PR is small enough to review as a whole.
263 2018-12-20T11:14:19  <provoostenator> However, splitting some stuff out keeps the UI bikeshedding seperate.
264 2018-12-20T11:15:24  *** aqk has quit IRC
265 2018-12-20T11:16:08  <gmaxwell> sipa: ack on openssl.
266 2018-12-20T11:29:49  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2018-12-20T11:34:46  *** aqk has quit IRC
268 2018-12-20T11:38:58  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2018-12-20T11:43:34  *** aqk has quit IRC
270 2018-12-20T11:47:21  *** igitoor20 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2018-12-20T11:48:18  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2018-12-20T11:51:31  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2018-12-20T11:52:40  *** aqk has quit IRC
274 2018-12-20T11:52:43  *** danra has quit IRC
275 2018-12-20T11:53:56  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2018-12-20T11:56:37  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
277 2018-12-20T11:56:48  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2018-12-20T11:57:26  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2018-12-20T11:57:32  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2018-12-20T12:00:09  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
281 2018-12-20T12:01:47  *** aqk has quit IRC
282 2018-12-20T12:06:52  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2018-12-20T12:07:46  *** jbarcelo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
284 2018-12-20T12:11:07  *** aqk has quit IRC
285 2018-12-20T12:16:08  *** jbarcelo has quit IRC
286 2018-12-20T12:24:22  <promag> btw, I think all wallets commands should have the passphrase argument
287 2018-12-20T12:25:17  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2018-12-20T12:25:27  <promag> i mean, why would a wallet be unencrypted for others for a short period of time?
289 2018-12-20T12:28:16  <wumpus> agree
290 2018-12-20T12:29:07  <wumpus> making it possible to have wallet 'born encrypted' was one of the goals of multiwallet
291 2018-12-20T12:29:30  *** aqk has quit IRC
292 2018-12-20T12:33:22  *** murrayn has quit IRC
293 2018-12-20T12:34:44  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2018-12-20T12:38:11  <wumpus> oh, you mean actually *passing the passphrase argument* for unlocking for every command... neutral on that, I guess with named arguments it's somewhat less of a hassle now than before. I think there's something to be said for the current time-locked functionalit as well as it means not all wallet-using commands have to know the passphrase.
295 2018-12-20T12:39:10  <wumpus> now it could be some separate process that unlocks periodically, or when necessary; imagine the client code having to pass through the passphrase everywhere
296 2018-12-20T12:40:27  *** aqk has quit IRC
297 2018-12-20T12:43:54  *** mileschet has quit IRC
298 2018-12-20T12:45:59  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2018-12-20T12:50:19  *** aqk has quit IRC
300 2018-12-20T12:50:59  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2018-12-20T12:51:15  <gmaxwell> I think it would be interesting to support, but it would not be very usable to use that way normally.
302 2018-12-20T12:54:07  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
303 2018-12-20T12:55:18  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2018-12-20T12:58:24  *** owowo has quit IRC
305 2018-12-20T12:58:28  *** cluelessperson has quit IRC
306 2018-12-20T12:59:53  *** aqk has quit IRC
307 2018-12-20T13:00:00  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
308 2018-12-20T13:01:33  <promag> wumpus: gmaxwell: I think we could support unlock per connection only
309 2018-12-20T13:01:46  *** cluelessperson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
310 2018-12-20T13:01:53  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
311 2018-12-20T13:01:53  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
312 2018-12-20T13:02:44  <promag> so the connection would hold the wallet lock and so no other connections could interact with that wallet
313 2018-12-20T13:03:12  <wumpus> connection specific state really breaks the http abstraction
314 2018-12-20T13:03:29  <promag> meaning that the wallet could stay unencrypted
315 2018-12-20T13:03:43  <wumpus> I also don't see why multiple connections wouldn't be allowed to interact with a wallet, this is something for the external software to coordinate!
316 2018-12-20T13:03:47  <promag> wumpus: for rest yes, but does that hold for rpc?
317 2018-12-20T13:04:28  <promag> wumpus: and then there is also batch
318 2018-12-20T13:04:39  <wumpus> I know, but I don't really like it
319 2018-12-20T13:04:56  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
320 2018-12-20T13:05:42  <wumpus> a) connections time out, so there'd need to be some hack to keep them open to prevent locking the wallet b) I remember convention is that a connection is closed when there is *any* http error
321 2018-12-20T13:06:01  <wumpus> for another RPC protocol it might be acceptable, but http just isn't suited to what you want to do
322 2018-12-20T13:06:05  *** hebasto has quit IRC
323 2018-12-20T13:06:30  <wumpus> bolting it on in a bitcoin specific way seems a bad idea
324 2018-12-20T13:06:41  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2018-12-20T13:07:45  <promag> I just think walletpassphrase is bad
326 2018-12-20T13:07:47  <wumpus> client libraries likely won't have fine-grained control what to send over one conection
327 2018-12-20T13:08:00  <promag> it's like doing sudo xxx and then everyone on the system has sudo
328 2018-12-20T13:08:14  <wumpus> well RPC supports multiple users now
329 2018-12-20T13:08:28  <gmaxwell> promag: being able to send a passphrase that applies to a single call, and only that call, wouldn't have that effect.
330 2018-12-20T13:08:35  <wumpus> could use that if you want to restrict the scope of an unlock...
331 2018-12-20T13:09:00  <wumpus> that at least is completely compatible with how authentication is used normall...
332 2018-12-20T13:09:25  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2018-12-20T13:09:44  <promag> we could send the passphrase as a query parameter (in the URL)?
334 2018-12-20T13:09:53  <wumpus> though I don't really like more and more 'business rule' kind of functionality leaking into bitcoin core, it reminds me a bit of the account stuff, it's so specific on your applciation
335 2018-12-20T13:09:57  <wumpus> nooOOOO
336 2018-12-20T13:10:02  <wumpus> never embed passwords in URLs
337 2018-12-20T13:10:04  <wumpus> never
338 2018-12-20T13:10:15  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
339 2018-12-20T13:10:50  <gmaxwell> Whats wrong with making walletpassphrase an automatic named argument to _every_ rpc, and if the rpc can make use of the passprase, they use it... without unlocking.
340 2018-12-20T13:11:06  <gmaxwell> so then you can authenticate single sends without opening anything up.
341 2018-12-20T13:11:21  <gmaxwell> and without any kind of crazy connection-session state.
342 2018-12-20T13:11:21  <wumpus> yes
343 2018-12-20T13:11:35  <promag> gmaxwell: just fine!
344 2018-12-20T13:11:54  <promag> so we would add customer support to each RPC
345 2018-12-20T13:11:56  <wumpus> as said I'm neutral on that
346 2018-12-20T13:12:01  *** cluelessperson has quit IRC
347 2018-12-20T13:12:04  <gmaxwell> I think probably I would use that... provide the phassphrase on signrawtransaction/etc. and not otherwise.
348 2018-12-20T13:12:06  <promag> s/customer/custom
349 2018-12-20T13:12:48  <gmaxwell> promag: well I think the way we'd do that is with a  utility function for rpcs that need an unlock, that checks if its already unlocked or otherwise gets access to it via the passphrase in the argument.
350 2018-12-20T13:13:02  <gmaxwell> (and otherwise fails)
351 2018-12-20T13:13:15  <promag> ok
352 2018-12-20T13:13:29  <promag> so concept ACK?
353 2018-12-20T13:13:57  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
354 2018-12-20T13:13:57  <gmaxwell> there are only a couple RPCs that can make use of unlocking (the send, sign, dump ones).
355 2018-12-20T13:14:01  <wumpus> you should ask the wallet maintainer :)
356 2018-12-20T13:14:17  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2018-12-20T13:14:27  <promag> this way no one would be able to "steal" from a wallet in that short period of time
358 2018-12-20T13:14:39  <wumpus> agree
359 2018-12-20T13:14:48  <promag> meshcollider: ^
360 2018-12-20T13:15:07  <gmaxwell> promag: yes, it would reduce exposure slightly... though god knows we probably have an RCE burried in some RPC. :P
361 2018-12-20T13:15:19  <promag> RCE?
362 2018-12-20T13:15:21  *** cluelessperson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
363 2018-12-20T13:15:30  <gmaxwell> remote code execution (bug).
364 2018-12-20T13:16:01  <promag> huh, do you even consider that?
365 2018-12-20T13:16:34  <gmaxwell> promag: I mean the addition of this would not change that I would recommend against letting the rpc be used by less trusted parties.
366 2018-12-20T13:16:53  <wumpus> well you're afraid of local users, *with* credentials, and access to the RPC, stealing funds; then you're regarding the RPC as a hardened interface
367 2018-12-20T13:17:03  <promag> oh right
368 2018-12-20T13:17:12  <gmaxwell> The thing I like about the passphrase argument approach is that it's also quite compatible with cli usage... so it will be used, not just some vague enterprise feature which may or may not get used and we won't get feedback about it. :)
369 2018-12-20T13:17:20  <promag> I just think walletpassphrase as a global switch is a bad concept
370 2018-12-20T13:17:39  <gmaxwell> promag: also txfee is another 'global' thing which could be scoped this same way.
371 2018-12-20T13:17:44  <promag> agree
372 2018-12-20T13:18:01  <gmaxwell> I don't believe there are any others re wallet behavior?
373 2018-12-20T13:18:19  *** aqk has quit IRC
374 2018-12-20T13:18:40  <gmaxwell> FWIW, GUI will also prompt on demand and not leave things unlocked.
375 2018-12-20T13:19:07  *** mileschet has quit IRC
376 2018-12-20T13:19:11  <promag> good point
377 2018-12-20T13:19:19  <gmaxwell> promag: the main utility of the time based unlock is this use case:  You have an online hot wallet, you want if the daemon gets shut off that you have to log in and unlock it again yourself.
378 2018-12-20T13:20:19  <gmaxwell> promag: it turns out that in a significant percentage of commercial system compromises we've heard reported (maybe a majority), someone gets remote access but causes a reboot in the process. (e.g. by getting into a server admin console, or convincing remote hands to change the root password).
379 2018-12-20T13:20:29  <wumpus> it allows for some separateion of concerns; in any case your idea wouldn't replace it
380 2018-12-20T13:20:42  <gmaxwell> So several big users have had their bacon saved by that setup.
381 2018-12-20T13:21:09  <gmaxwell> but its okay we could continue to support both ways of using it.
382 2018-12-20T13:21:09  <wumpus> I'm ok with the pass-a-passphrase as an option, but not deprecating the old behavior
383 2018-12-20T13:21:15  <promag> I see
384 2018-12-20T13:21:21  <gmaxwell> (thats why I'm explaining that usage)
385 2018-12-20T13:21:44  <wumpus> it also feels like changing things just to change them, just because you don't like it, all users have to change their usage
386 2018-12-20T13:22:07  <gmaxwell> In an ideal world, I think it would even be best if that usage had two stages of authorization--- a startup key and a usage key, but  I think we shouldn't worry about that for now and leave improvements like that to external key handling processes.
387 2018-12-20T13:22:21  <promag> one time usage key yes
388 2018-12-20T13:23:07  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
389 2018-12-20T13:23:40  <promag> I'm working on #13100 and then maybe I'll try adding the passphrase to some RPC
390 2018-12-20T13:23:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
391 2018-12-20T13:24:10  <promag> thanks guys
392 2018-12-20T13:24:40  <wumpus> np
393 2018-12-20T13:25:02  <gmaxwell> FWIW, the way I often recommend people use walletpassphrase is with a really dumb key (say like "password") that they could never forget... just so they can feel more confident using their wallet without worrying that they'll accidentally send funds somewhere.
394 2018-12-20T13:25:53  *** promag has quit IRC
395 2018-12-20T13:26:24  <wumpus> makes sense
396 2018-12-20T13:27:25  *** aqk has quit IRC
397 2018-12-20T13:41:45  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
398 2018-12-20T13:46:12  *** aqk has quit IRC
399 2018-12-20T13:50:56  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2018-12-20T13:52:43  *** alpalp has quit IRC
401 2018-12-20T13:53:54  *** hebasto_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
402 2018-12-20T13:53:56  *** hebasto has quit IRC
403 2018-12-20T13:55:07  *** aqk has quit IRC
404 2018-12-20T13:57:57  *** spinza has quit IRC
405 2018-12-20T13:59:18  *** ap4lmtree- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
406 2018-12-20T13:59:34  *** ken2812221 has quit IRC
407 2018-12-20T13:59:54  *** ap4lmtree- has quit IRC
408 2018-12-20T14:02:17  *** ap4lmtree has quit IRC
409 2018-12-20T14:08:15  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
410 2018-12-20T14:09:37  *** aqk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
411 2018-12-20T14:14:02  *** aqk has quit IRC
412 2018-12-20T14:15:17  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
413 2018-12-20T14:16:51  *** owowo has quit IRC
414 2018-12-20T14:19:09  *** danra_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
415 2018-12-20T14:21:13  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
416 2018-12-20T14:27:30  *** ap4lmtree has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
417 2018-12-20T14:42:03  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
418 2018-12-20T14:55:02  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
419 2018-12-20T14:56:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
420 2018-12-20T14:56:10  <jnewbery> wumpus: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/univalue/pull/17 has three ACKs. May be ready for merge?
421 2018-12-20T14:58:47  *** shesek has quit IRC
422 2018-12-20T14:59:36  <jnewbery> sipa: ACK not printing private keys in error messages. You're right that it's a terrible idea.
423 2018-12-20T15:00:22  <jnewbery> More generally, my review comments about improving error messages were mostly meant as notes for me or anyone else who wants to do a follow-up PR to improve error messages and testing. I don't think they need to change in your PR.
424 2018-12-20T15:02:15  *** setpill has quit IRC
425 2018-12-20T15:20:02  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
426 2018-12-20T15:24:09  *** shesek has quit IRC
427 2018-12-20T15:24:28  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
428 2018-12-20T15:24:28  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
429 2018-12-20T15:36:41  *** shesek has quit IRC
430 2018-12-20T15:36:52  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
431 2018-12-20T15:37:18  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2018-12-20T15:51:00  *** mileschet has quit IRC
433 2018-12-20T15:54:32  *** olo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
434 2018-12-20T15:55:25  *** olo has quit IRC
435 2018-12-20T16:08:50  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
436 2018-12-20T16:09:33  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
437 2018-12-20T16:13:48  *** mileschet has quit IRC
438 2018-12-20T16:20:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
439 2018-12-20T16:20:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #15010: [wallet] Fix getbalance with minconf (master...fix_getbalance_with_minconf) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15010
440 2018-12-20T16:20:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
441 2018-12-20T16:27:47  *** harrymm has quit IRC
442 2018-12-20T16:30:05  <provoostenator> Tangential to adding wallet password to RPC calls, I'd like a way to enter said password in a way that doesn't end up in bash history (there might already be a PR for that).
443 2018-12-20T16:30:28  <provoostenator> That would be a change at the bitcoin-cli level.
444 2018-12-20T16:31:48  <timothy> provoostenator: it's not a problem of bitcoin-cli, you cannot disable history in called command
445 2018-12-20T16:31:54  *** grubles has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
446 2018-12-20T16:32:05  <timothy> you can do: unset HISTFILE before using a command that includes the password
447 2018-12-20T16:32:38  <timothy> (bitcoin-cli already have -stdin)
448 2018-12-20T16:32:43  <wumpus> yes, private keys in error messages is almost as bad as private keys in the log (as the client application will most likely log them)
449 2018-12-20T16:33:33  <provoostenator> timothy: bitcoin-cli could prompt for a password rather than expecting it as an argument
450 2018-12-20T16:33:59  <timothy> provoostenator: you can pass it by using -stdin option
451 2018-12-20T16:34:02  <gmaxwell> provoostenator: you can tell bash to not save any line that begins with a space or has certian strings in it.
452 2018-12-20T16:34:08  <gmaxwell> (or use -stdin)
453 2018-12-20T16:38:16  <provoostenator> I didn't know about stdin. That's useful indeed, might be worth mentioning in the walletpassphrase RPC help.
454 2018-12-20T16:42:18  *** profmac has quit IRC
455 2018-12-20T16:48:50  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
456 2018-12-20T16:52:25  *** gkrizek has quit IRC
457 2018-12-20T16:52:50  *** gkrizek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
458 2018-12-20T16:53:48  *** mileschet has quit IRC
459 2018-12-20T16:54:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
460 2018-12-20T16:54:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #14932: ui: Warn the user on file corruption in mempool.dat (master...Mf1812-testFileCorruption) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14932
461 2018-12-20T16:54:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
462 2018-12-20T16:58:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
463 2018-12-20T16:58:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cb52cee29d0d...86e0a33f5c38
464 2018-12-20T16:58:45  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e982f0b andrewtoth: Add all category options to wallet rpc help
465 2018-12-20T16:58:45  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f3f6dde andrewtoth: Test coinbase category in wallet rpcs
466 2018-12-20T16:58:46  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 86e0a33 MarcoFalke: Merge #14653: rpcwallet: Add missing transaction categories to rpc helptexts...
467 2018-12-20T16:58:46  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
468 2018-12-20T16:59:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
469 2018-12-20T16:59:18  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #14653: rpcwallet: Add missing transaction categories to rpc helptexts (master...listtransactions-help) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14653
470 2018-12-20T16:59:18  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
471 2018-12-20T17:02:49  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
472 2018-12-20T17:11:27  <moneyball> We have one proposed topic for today's meeting https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a
473 2018-12-20T17:14:00  <gmaxwell> I thought the meetings were all canceled.
474 2018-12-20T17:15:21  <gmaxwell> like every meeting everwhere. (is this why US markets are at a 52 week low? :P  you'd think the end of meetings and their overheads would be a boon to the GDP...)
475 2018-12-20T17:21:21  <moneyball> ah indeed, i see sipa mentioned that now.
476 2018-12-20T17:23:38  *** laptop__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
477 2018-12-20T17:23:48  <sipa> i doubt i'll be awake in 1.5h in any case
478 2018-12-20T17:29:08  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
479 2018-12-20T17:34:10  *** mileschet has quit IRC
480 2018-12-20T17:38:46  <achow101> gmaxwell: I'm not sure that creating the wallet on use is possible even with multiwallet. however getting rid of the default wallet and forcing the user to just make a wallet themselves certainly is
481 2018-12-20T17:39:05  <achow101> I'm planning on implementing the latter, as the former looks to be fairly complicated and fragile
482 2018-12-20T17:48:03  *** owowo has quit IRC
483 2018-12-20T17:55:51  *** CodeBlue1776 has quit IRC
484 2018-12-20T17:55:55  <sipa> achow101, gmaxwell: one possibility is creating a dummy CWallet object for freshly created wallets initially, without file to back it, and the  only materializing it on firet use
485 2018-12-20T17:56:23  *** CodeBlue1776 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
486 2018-12-20T18:18:08  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
487 2018-12-20T18:21:12  *** CodeBlue1776 has quit IRC
488 2018-12-20T18:21:30  *** CodeBlue1776 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
489 2018-12-20T18:24:00  *** dqx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
490 2018-12-20T18:26:11  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
491 2018-12-20T18:26:23  *** Squidi has quit IRC
492 2018-12-20T18:33:53  *** Csus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
493 2018-12-20T18:34:53  <Csus> Hi - I'm trying to setup a full node on Raspberry pi. ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/include -O2" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.5.3/lib" --enable-upnp-default
494 2018-12-20T18:35:23  <Csus> After inserting this command I get error - "configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables"
495 2018-12-20T18:35:46  <Csus> Any ideas?
496 2018-12-20T18:51:00  *** Bullit has quit IRC
497 2018-12-20T18:53:28  *** chenpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
498 2018-12-20T18:55:53  *** clarkmoody has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
499 2018-12-20T18:57:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
500 2018-12-20T18:58:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
501 2018-12-20T18:59:24  <wumpus> Csus: so, can your c++ compiler create executables? does g++ work?
502 2018-12-20T19:00:10  <wumpus> #startmeeting
503 2018-12-20T19:00:10  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Dec 20 19:00:10 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
504 2018-12-20T19:00:10  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
505 2018-12-20T19:00:33  <jonasschnelli> hi
506 2018-12-20T19:00:34  <achow101> i thought there was no meeting?
507 2018-12-20T19:00:37  <jnewbery> hi
508 2018-12-20T19:00:41  <wumpus> achow101: oh?
509 2018-12-20T19:01:05  <chenpo> I also thought that there is no meeting today.
510 2018-12-20T19:01:17  <wumpus> short meeting then :<
511 2018-12-20T19:01:23  <jonasschnelli> why?
512 2018-12-20T19:01:28  <achow101> <meshcollider> Is there a meeting tomorrow or not due to Christmas?
513 2018-12-20T19:01:29  <achow101> <meshcollider> Today* for some of you in incorrect timezones
514 2018-12-20T19:01:29  <achow101> <sipa> meetings are cancelled for the holidays i think
515 2018-12-20T19:01:38  <achow101> ^from earlier
516 2018-12-20T19:02:14  <jonasschnelli> I though christmas is 24th onwards.
517 2018-12-20T19:02:17  <jonasschnelli> *thought
518 2018-12-20T19:02:27  <wumpus> I'm confused isn't xmas next week and on?
519 2018-12-20T19:02:31  <wumpus> right-
520 2018-12-20T19:02:54  <wumpus> I missed meshcollider's messages
521 2018-12-20T19:03:18  <wumpus> so no meeting this week and next?
522 2018-12-20T19:03:37  <achow101> i guess we can still have a meeting, just missing some people
523 2018-12-20T19:04:03  <wumpus> that's not really fair if people were under the impression that there would be none
524 2018-12-20T19:04:39  <jonasschnelli> agree
525 2018-12-20T19:04:58  <wumpus> see you at next meeting Thu 3 2019 then
526 2018-12-20T19:05:02  <wumpus> #endmeeting
527 2018-12-20T19:05:02  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Dec 20 19:05:02 2018 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
528 2018-12-20T19:05:02  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-12-20-19.00.html
529 2018-12-20T19:05:02  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-12-20-19.00.txt
530 2018-12-20T19:05:02  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2018/bitcoin-core-dev.2018-12-20-19.00.log.html
531 2018-12-20T19:05:30  <kanzure> womp womp
532 2018-12-20T19:09:02  *** clarkmoody has quit IRC
533 2018-12-20T19:24:58  *** alpalp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
534 2018-12-20T19:30:03  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
535 2018-12-20T19:31:12  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
536 2018-12-20T19:35:09  *** mileschet has quit IRC
537 2018-12-20T19:42:30  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
538 2018-12-20T19:47:44  *** chenpo has quit IRC
539 2018-12-20T19:49:39  *** chenpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2018-12-20T19:54:31  *** chenpo has quit IRC
541 2018-12-20T19:55:27  *** davec has quit IRC
542 2018-12-20T19:57:18  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
543 2018-12-20T20:11:06  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
544 2018-12-20T20:12:22  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
545 2018-12-20T20:12:25  *** timothy has quit IRC
546 2018-12-20T20:15:23  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
547 2018-12-20T20:16:43  *** state_bits has quit IRC
548 2018-12-20T20:16:51  *** state_bits has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2018-12-20T20:29:30  *** chenpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2018-12-20T20:30:10  *** drexl has quit IRC
551 2018-12-20T20:30:38  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
552 2018-12-20T20:32:03  <Csus> @wumpus Yes g++ does work..
553 2018-12-20T20:33:47  *** chenpo has quit IRC
554 2018-12-20T20:35:19  *** face has quit IRC
555 2018-12-20T20:37:21  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
556 2018-12-20T20:39:46  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
557 2018-12-20T20:42:54  *** face has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
558 2018-12-20T20:44:44  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2018-12-20T20:49:06  *** e4xit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2018-12-20T20:49:34  *** mileschet has quit IRC
561 2018-12-20T20:51:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2018-12-20T20:56:33  *** promag has quit IRC
563 2018-12-20T21:02:39  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2018-12-20T21:05:45  <jonasschnelli> sipa: for the CNetMessage refactoring, instead of using polymorphism (virtual base class), would you suggest having a global pointer to a instance of something we could call CNetMessageSerializer?
565 2018-12-20T21:05:53  <jonasschnelli> So move all the ser/deser code there?
566 2018-12-20T21:06:45  <jonasschnelli> So there could be two serialization instance (legacy p2p and BIP151 p2p) where each node would hold a shared pointer to that instance?
567 2018-12-20T21:12:01  *** shesek has quit IRC
568 2018-12-20T21:13:31  *** mileschet has quit IRC
569 2018-12-20T21:13:50  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2018-12-20T21:17:08  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2018-12-20T21:19:41  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2018-12-20T21:22:27  <sipa> jonasschnelli: well each connection only needs one
573 2018-12-20T21:22:51  <jonasschnelli> sipa: Yes. But a pointer to a global instance seems okay, right?
574 2018-12-20T21:23:01  <sipa> and if there is no local state in the deserializer you don't need to instantiate it
575 2018-12-20T21:23:13  <jonasschnelli> Yes
576 2018-12-20T21:23:19  <sipa> so no pointers
577 2018-12-20T21:23:39  <sipa> it depends
578 2018-12-20T21:24:57  <jonasschnelli> but somewhere you need to keep record of the position you have read the message up to
579 2018-12-20T21:25:13  <jonasschnelli> so CNetMessage gets do then still contain some minimal serialization state
580 2018-12-20T21:25:47  <jonasschnelli> Where CNetMessage is more or less a serialisation helper
581 2018-12-20T21:26:08  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
582 2018-12-20T21:26:14  <jonasschnelli> so I'm not yet entirely convinced of the split between CNetMessage and CNetMessageSerializer
583 2018-12-20T21:26:23  *** contrapumpkin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
584 2018-12-20T21:26:29  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2018-12-20T21:26:49  <sipa> i'm just saying there is no need to make each CNetMessage know what type of serialization is used
586 2018-12-20T21:26:59  <sipa> it's a per node thing, not per message
587 2018-12-20T21:27:12  <jonasschnelli> Yes. I agree with that
588 2018-12-20T21:27:20  <sipa> it's bith a waste of memory and cpu to push it down so deep
589 2018-12-20T21:27:58  <jonasschnelli> I think the initial design came from the two step BIP151 handshare where v1 protocol was required for the initial messages
590 2018-12-20T21:28:00  <sipa> i also don't understand the global pointer question
591 2018-12-20T21:28:05  <jonasschnelli> *handshake
592 2018-12-20T21:28:23  <sipa> that still doesn't require every message to know how it was serialized
593 2018-12-20T21:28:44  <sipa> either the serializer classes hold state, and you'll want one object per node
594 2018-12-20T21:28:56  <sipa> or it doesn't, and there is no need fo instantiate them at all
595 2018-12-20T21:29:01  *** Csus has quit IRC
596 2018-12-20T21:29:10  <jonasschnelli> sipa: so each node has either v1 or v2 serialization, each CNode could have a shared pointer to v1 or v2 global serializer instance
597 2018-12-20T21:29:26  <jonasschnelli> but since there is no need for instantisation, I'm unsure
598 2018-12-20T21:29:27  <sipa> sure, but why?
599 2018-12-20T21:29:45  *** copumpkin has quit IRC
600 2018-12-20T21:30:07  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
601 2018-12-20T21:30:07  <sipa> maybe all you need is a function to serialize/deserialize that takes an enum for the type of serialization
602 2018-12-20T21:30:18  <jonasschnelli> i see,.. yes
603 2018-12-20T21:30:18  *** hex17or has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
604 2018-12-20T21:31:17  <sipa> but if there is a concern we may need state, sure a per-node instance sounds good
605 2018-12-20T21:32:01  <jonasschnelli> I guess we don't need state on that level
606 2018-12-20T21:32:40  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2018-12-20T21:32:46  <sipa> i don't know
608 2018-12-20T21:33:05  <sipa> it can hold partial checksum data
609 2018-12-20T21:34:46  *** hex17or has quit IRC
610 2018-12-20T21:35:43  <jonasschnelli> sipa: you mean the SHA256 or poly1305 state?
611 2018-12-20T21:36:52  <sipa> yes
612 2018-12-20T21:37:18  *** promag has quit IRC
613 2018-12-20T21:40:52  *** hex17or has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2018-12-20T21:40:55  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2018-12-20T21:46:53  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
616 2018-12-20T21:49:44  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
617 2018-12-20T21:50:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2018-12-20T21:54:38  *** mileschet has quit IRC
619 2018-12-20T21:56:30  <meshcollider> promag: 2:10 AM <gmaxwell> Whats wrong with making walletpassphrase an automatic named argument to _every_ rpc, and if the rpc can make use of the passprase, they use it... without unlocking.
620 2018-12-20T21:56:39  <meshcollider> Concept ACK ^
621 2018-12-20T21:58:32  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2018-12-20T22:05:32  *** jarthur has quit IRC
623 2018-12-20T22:05:45  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
624 2018-12-20T22:07:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
625 2018-12-20T22:07:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] bitcoinhodler opened pull request #15012: Docs: Fix minor grammar error (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15012
626 2018-12-20T22:07:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
627 2018-12-20T22:10:28  *** mileschet has quit IRC
628 2018-12-20T22:11:05  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
629 2018-12-20T22:12:00  *** laptop__ has quit IRC
630 2018-12-20T22:13:06  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
631 2018-12-20T22:14:36  *** spinza has quit IRC
632 2018-12-20T22:17:57  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2018-12-20T22:19:37  *** hex17or has quit IRC
634 2018-12-20T22:30:13  *** ozymandias_2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
635 2018-12-20T22:30:28  *** ozymandias_2 has quit IRC
636 2018-12-20T22:33:48  *** mileschet has quit IRC
637 2018-12-20T22:45:41  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2018-12-20T22:50:07  *** mileschet has quit IRC
639 2018-12-20T22:55:45  *** mileschet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2018-12-20T23:00:56  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
641 2018-12-20T23:03:58  *** mileschet has quit IRC
642 2018-12-20T23:28:47  *** promag has quit IRC
643 2018-12-20T23:35:45  *** chenpo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
644 2018-12-20T23:40:09  *** chenpo has quit IRC
645 2018-12-20T23:53:22  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2018-12-20T23:54:36  *** BGL has quit IRC