1 2019-01-31T00:07:51  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2019-01-31T00:12:58  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
  3 2019-01-31T00:24:45  *** miknotauro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-01-31T00:29:55  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
  5 2019-01-31T00:33:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-01-31T00:33:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #15297: wallet: Releases dangling files on BerkeleyEnvironment::Close (master...019-01-close-dbenv-files) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15297
  7 2019-01-31T00:33:59  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-01-31T00:34:13  <promag> ryanofsky: ^
  9 2019-01-31T00:40:55  *** dviola has quit IRC
 10 2019-01-31T00:50:36  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 11 2019-01-31T00:51:44  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-01-31T00:58:08  *** promag has quit IRC
 13 2019-01-31T01:26:36  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-01-31T01:33:23  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 15 2019-01-31T01:34:12  *** ap4lmtree- is now known as ap4lmtree
 16 2019-01-31T01:56:04  *** miknotauro has quit IRC
 17 2019-01-31T02:06:55  *** jarthur has quit IRC
 18 2019-01-31T02:09:55  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 19 2019-01-31T02:12:22  *** spinza has quit IRC
 20 2019-01-31T02:15:42  *** drexl has quit IRC
 21 2019-01-31T02:33:12  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-01-31T02:35:49  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 23 2019-01-31T02:38:27  *** Squidicuz has quit IRC
 24 2019-01-31T02:49:56  *** phwalkr_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-01-31T02:50:42  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
 26 2019-01-31T03:04:57  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2019-01-31T03:10:03  *** phwalkr_ has quit IRC
 28 2019-01-31T03:26:57  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
 29 2019-01-31T03:30:56  *** millerti has quit IRC
 30 2019-01-31T03:31:12  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
 31 2019-01-31T03:36:17  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-01-31T03:40:47  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
 33 2019-01-31T04:05:03  *** rhavar has quit IRC
 34 2019-01-31T04:48:19  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-01-31T04:52:27  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
 36 2019-01-31T05:11:00  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-01-31T05:26:19  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2019-01-31T05:52:25  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 39 2019-01-31T06:00:19  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 40 2019-01-31T06:05:34  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2019-01-31T06:09:47  *** promag has quit IRC
 42 2019-01-31T06:15:11  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-01-31T06:35:48  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
 44 2019-01-31T07:03:21  *** benthecarman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-01-31T07:14:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 46 2019-01-31T07:15:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-01-31T07:22:25  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 48 2019-01-31T07:31:12  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2019-01-31T07:35:36  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-01-31T07:46:22  *** promag has quit IRC
 51 2019-01-31T08:22:38  *** ChA1NsAw has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-01-31T09:03:42  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-01-31T09:34:53  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-01-31T09:39:07  *** promag has quit IRC
 55 2019-01-31T09:48:56  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-01-31T09:51:07  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2019-01-31T09:51:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cb77dc820f1b...37d09b251cd7
 58 2019-01-31T09:51:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a6cd50d Hennadii Stepanov: Add gitian PGP key for hebasto
 59 2019-01-31T09:51:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 37d09b2 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15275: Add gitian PGP key for hebasto
 60 2019-01-31T09:51:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-01-31T09:51:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-01-31T09:51:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15275: Add gitian PGP key for hebasto (master...0190128-gitian-key) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15275
 63 2019-01-31T09:51:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-01-31T09:58:54  *** awanacoin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2019-01-31T09:59:12  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
 66 2019-01-31T10:00:31  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 67 2019-01-31T10:21:42  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-01-31T10:27:55  *** awanacoin has quit IRC
 69 2019-01-31T10:30:17  *** Zenton has quit IRC
 70 2019-01-31T10:32:17  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-01-31T10:41:02  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2019-01-31T10:41:04  *** spinza has quit IRC
 73 2019-01-31T10:51:40  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 74 2019-01-31T10:53:28  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2019-01-31T10:54:48  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2019-01-31T10:57:48  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-01-31T10:59:42  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-01-31T11:09:52  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2019-01-31T11:13:14  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2019-01-31T11:14:27  *** sipa has quit IRC
 81 2019-01-31T11:16:29  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2019-01-31T11:20:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 83 2019-01-31T11:31:41  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2019-01-31T11:41:58  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 85 2019-01-31T11:42:17  *** miknotauro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2019-01-31T11:42:22  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2019-01-31T11:46:19  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2019-01-31T11:48:21  *** anome has quit IRC
 89 2019-01-31T11:54:04  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 90 2019-01-31T11:55:09  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2019-01-31T12:14:21  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2019-01-31T12:18:20  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2019-01-31T12:20:18  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
 94 2019-01-31T12:22:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2019-01-31T12:22:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] instagibbs closed pull request #15283: log: Fix UB with bench on genesis block (master...ub_genesis_bench) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15283
 96 2019-01-31T12:22:22  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-01-31T12:22:26  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 98 2019-01-31T12:22:31  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
 99 2019-01-31T12:24:36  <fanquake> the bot is back
100 2019-01-31T12:24:43  <wumpus> yess
101 2019-01-31T12:27:31  <wumpus> it's working great now!
102 2019-01-31T12:29:16  *** anome has quit IRC
103 2019-01-31T12:29:44  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2019-01-31T12:30:08  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2019-01-31T12:31:18  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
106 2019-01-31T12:33:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2019-01-31T12:33:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/37d09b251cd7...b9d3df8bcd0e
108 2019-01-31T12:33:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f24ed6d Martin Erlandsson: Delete README_osx.md and move its contents into build-osx.md
109 2019-01-31T12:33:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b9d3df8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15176: docs: Get rid of badly named readme
110 2019-01-31T12:33:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2019-01-31T12:34:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-01-31T12:34:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15176: docs: Get rid of badly named readme (master...rename-osx-readme) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15176
113 2019-01-31T12:34:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2019-01-31T12:35:03  <fanquake> wumpus #15272 probably mergable
115 2019-01-31T12:35:05  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15272 | doc: correct logging return type and RPC example by fanquake · Pull Request #15272 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
116 2019-01-31T12:35:14  <wumpus> fanquake: will take a look thanks
117 2019-01-31T12:35:18  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2019-01-31T12:38:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2019-01-31T12:38:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b9d3df8bcd0e...a0d657bd311e
120 2019-01-31T12:38:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e1c27da fanquake: doc: correct logging rpc return type and example
121 2019-01-31T12:38:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a0d657b Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15272: doc: correct logging return type and RPC example
122 2019-01-31T12:38:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2019-01-31T12:39:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-01-31T12:39:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15272: doc: correct logging return type and RPC example (master...rpc-logging-return-example) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15272
125 2019-01-31T12:39:23  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-01-31T12:39:56  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-01-31T12:42:10  <wumpus> fanquake: i think the comment to add a test makes sense, but also think it's out of scope for the PR which is a documentation fix
128 2019-01-31T12:43:30  <fanquake> wumpus No worries, I can follow up with a test.
129 2019-01-31T12:44:26  *** phwalkr has quit IRC
130 2019-01-31T12:45:29  *** anome has quit IRC
131 2019-01-31T12:46:22  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2019-01-31T12:47:07  <wumpus> fanquake: sure, if you want!
133 2019-01-31T12:54:04  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
134 2019-01-31T13:02:39  *** cia has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2019-01-31T13:03:03  *** cia is now known as Guest84790
136 2019-01-31T13:03:26  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-01-31T13:04:52  *** Guest84790 has quit IRC
138 2019-01-31T13:05:47  *** adamantines3 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2019-01-31T13:06:31  *** adamantines3 has quit IRC
140 2019-01-31T13:14:24  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2019-01-31T13:15:35  <wumpus> gah what is it with github and losing comments
142 2019-01-31T13:15:57  <wumpus> sometimes it feels like I have to make the same review comment at least three times
143 2019-01-31T13:15:58  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-01-31T13:16:35  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-01-31T13:17:44  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-01-31T13:19:56  *** ddustin has quit IRC
147 2019-01-31T13:21:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
148 2019-01-31T13:24:04  *** anome has quit IRC
149 2019-01-31T13:26:07  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2019-01-31T13:26:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a0d657bd311e...36aeb43c01d2
151 2019-01-31T13:26:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa3745b MarcoFalke: qa: Add tests for invalid message headers
152 2019-01-31T13:26:09  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 36aeb43 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15246: qa: Add tests for invalid message headers
153 2019-01-31T13:26:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-01-31T13:26:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-01-31T13:26:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15246: qa: Add tests for invalid message headers (master...Mf1901-qaMsgHeader) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15246
156 2019-01-31T13:26:50  *** anome has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2019-01-31T13:26:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2019-01-31T13:27:54  *** anome has quit IRC
159 2019-01-31T13:29:01  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2019-01-31T13:29:44  <promag> jnewbery: could you add #15297 to the multi wallet issue?
161 2019-01-31T13:29:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15297 | wallet: Releases dangling files on BerkeleyEnvironment::Close by promag · Pull Request #15297 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
162 2019-01-31T13:34:47  *** thedevworks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-01-31T13:40:08  *** thedevworks_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2019-01-31T13:40:31  *** thedevworks has quit IRC
165 2019-01-31T13:40:54  *** thedevworks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-01-31T13:41:31  *** promag has quit IRC
167 2019-01-31T13:46:26  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2019-01-31T13:48:07  <thedevworks> Hey All - New here - Let me know if theres any 'Good First Issues' come up!
169 2019-01-31T13:50:38  <gkrizek> thedevworks The best place to look is in the GitHub repo. If you look in the Issues list there are some with a label of “Good First Issue”
170 2019-01-31T13:52:08  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2019-01-31T13:52:45  <wumpus> yeh https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22
172 2019-01-31T13:53:00  <thedevworks> Thanks!
173 2019-01-31T13:53:13  <thedevworks> Makes sense ;)
174 2019-01-31T13:53:55  <wumpus> welcome btw !
175 2019-01-31T13:54:04  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
176 2019-01-31T13:56:40  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-01-31T13:59:49  *** promag has quit IRC
178 2019-01-31T14:00:20  <thedevworks> Thanks!
179 2019-01-31T14:11:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-01-31T14:11:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/36aeb43c01d2...7c09e209ef31
181 2019-01-31T14:11:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 14bcdbe Andrew Chow: Check for more than private keys disabled to show receive button
182 2019-01-31T14:11:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2bc4c3e Andrew Chow: Notify the GUI that the keypool has changed to set the receive button
183 2019-01-31T14:11:59  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7c09e20 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15225: GUI: Change the receive button to respond to keypool state c...
184 2019-01-31T14:12:00  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-01-31T14:12:37  *** thedevworks_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-01-31T14:12:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-01-31T14:12:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15225: GUI: Change the receive button to respond to keypool state changing (master...receive-button) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15225
188 2019-01-31T14:12:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2019-01-31T14:14:30  *** thedevworks_ has quit IRC
190 2019-01-31T14:14:33  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-01-31T14:14:53  *** thedevworks_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2019-01-31T14:15:01  *** thedevworks has quit IRC
193 2019-01-31T14:17:01  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-01-31T14:18:20  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
195 2019-01-31T14:18:21  *** thedevworks_ is now known as thedevworks
196 2019-01-31T14:21:17  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2019-01-31T14:21:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
198 2019-01-31T14:23:04  *** promag has quit IRC
199 2019-01-31T14:30:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2019-01-31T14:30:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7c09e209ef31...4d661baf1aca
201 2019-01-31T14:30:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f96dbd1 Gregory Sanders: gdb attaching to process during tests has non-sudo solution
202 2019-01-31T14:30:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4d661ba Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15244: gdb attaching to process during tests has non-sudo solution
203 2019-01-31T14:30:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-01-31T14:30:48  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-01-31T14:30:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15244: gdb attaching to process during tests has non-sudo solution (master...gdb_ptrace) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15244
206 2019-01-31T14:30:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-01-31T14:35:57  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2019-01-31T14:35:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to .17: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/09a9238c0456...30db5cc6418a
209 2019-01-31T14:35:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/.17 0cd9ad2 João Barbosa: rpc: Make unloadwallet wait for complete wallet unload
210 2019-01-31T14:35:59  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/.17 30db5cc Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15002: 0.17: Backport #14941
211 2019-01-31T14:36:01  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2019-01-31T14:36:20  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-01-31T14:36:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15002: 0.17: Backport #14941 (.17...018-12-backport-14941) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15002
214 2019-01-31T14:36:22  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2019-01-31T14:38:00  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2019-01-31T14:39:51  <hebasto> wumpus: regarding your comment on #15278 - what kind of services are counting on the PID file?
217 2019-01-31T14:39:52  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15278 | Improve pidfile logging by hebasto · Pull Request #15278 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
218 2019-01-31T14:40:11  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
219 2019-01-31T14:40:21  <wumpus> I'm not sure I understand your question
220 2019-01-31T14:41:18  <wumpus> I mean the obvious answer would be "services that need to know running bitcoind's process id"
221 2019-01-31T14:41:20  <hebasto> wumpus: why do you suppose that not being able to create the PID file should be fatal?
222 2019-01-31T14:41:37  <wumpus> because it would be deterministic?
223 2019-01-31T14:41:42  <hebasto> aah, I see.
224 2019-01-31T14:41:47  <wumpus> either you make sure the PID file exists when the process is running
225 2019-01-31T14:41:52  <wumpus> or you don't create one in the first place
226 2019-01-31T14:42:05  <wumpus> I don't see the intermediate 'launch the process but don't create a PID file' as useful
227 2019-01-31T14:42:09  <wumpus> but that might be just me :)
228 2019-01-31T14:42:26  <sdaftuar> wumpus: i concur :)
229 2019-01-31T14:43:26  <hebasto> wumpus: sdaftuar: thanks
230 2019-01-31T14:44:38  <wumpus> this is doubly important imo when providing an alternative pid file path with `-pid=...`, because unlike the data directory it might not be a guaranteed-writable location so the user could have made a mistake with permissions
231 2019-01-31T14:46:03  <wumpus> hebasto: anyhow it's perfectly fine if you think that's out of scope for #15278, it just surprised me
232 2019-01-31T14:46:04  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15278 | Improve pidfile logging by hebasto · Pull Request #15278 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
233 2019-01-31T14:46:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2019-01-31T14:46:37  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2019-01-31T14:48:50  <hebasto> wumpus: initially, I thought that behavior was intended. Now I am going to improve PR adding fail condition, if you don't mind.
236 2019-01-31T14:49:14  <wumpus> hebasto: thanks!
237 2019-01-31T14:51:57  *** laurentmt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2019-01-31T14:53:03  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
239 2019-01-31T14:54:26  *** laurentmt has quit IRC
240 2019-01-31T14:55:16  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
241 2019-01-31T15:02:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2019-01-31T15:02:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #15299: Fix assertion in CKey::SignCompact (master...019-01-ckey-signcompact) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15299
243 2019-01-31T15:02:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2019-01-31T15:13:30  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2019-01-31T15:14:40  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-01-31T15:21:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
247 2019-01-31T15:26:05  <sipa> 4~
248 2019-01-31T15:27:37  <provoostenator> wumpus: I can't remember having lost a github comment recently. It gets a little iffy when opening the same PR in two tabs though.
249 2019-01-31T15:28:01  <wumpus> provoostenator: ooh that might be part of the issue then
250 2019-01-31T15:29:15  <fanquake> GH probably just collapsing more comments into uselessness
251 2019-01-31T15:29:26  <wumpus> and that ^^
252 2019-01-31T15:30:26  <provoostenator> Yeah the collapsing thing is different. That happens because we force-push and rebase a lot.
253 2019-01-31T15:31:05  <provoostenator> I sometimes have two tabs open because I want to review commit by commit, and when I switch back to the main comment thread it forgets which commit I was looking at.
254 2019-01-31T15:31:35  <fanquake> also collapsing on similar comments. i.e 2-3 "utACK commit_hash" comments in a row, the last two may get hidden as "similar comments".
255 2019-01-31T15:38:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-01-31T15:38:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] achow101 opened pull request #15301: tests: When testing with --usecli, unify RPC arg to cli arg conversion and handle dicts and lists (master...fix-tests-cli-args) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15301
257 2019-01-31T15:38:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2019-01-31T15:40:38  *** promag has quit IRC
259 2019-01-31T15:42:09  *** miknotauro has quit IRC
260 2019-01-31T15:46:40  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2019-01-31T15:47:15  <wumpus> fanquake: I've seen that as well :(
262 2019-01-31T15:48:05  <cjd> lol microsoft, 1 job
263 2019-01-31T15:53:03  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-01-31T15:53:43  <fanquake> When throwing RPC_DESERIALIZATION_ERROR, for ex when deserializing a tx, is "TX decode failed" or more verbosity preferred, i.e "TX decode failed CDataStream::read(): end of data: unspecified iostream_category error"?
265 2019-01-31T15:53:52  <fanquake> RPCs currently use a mix of the two.
266 2019-01-31T15:54:40  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
267 2019-01-31T15:54:52  <wumpus> fanquake: I personally prefer more detailed error messages where possible
268 2019-01-31T15:55:16  <wumpus> (though something can be said for the opposite as well, as in "don't leak implementation details")
269 2019-01-31T16:00:27  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2019-01-31T16:10:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2019-01-31T16:10:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4d661baf1aca...252fd15addf1
272 2019-01-31T16:10:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 49d2374 Jonas Schnelli: [tools] Add wallet inspection and modification tool
273 2019-01-31T16:10:30  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3c3e31c João Barbosa: [tests] Add wallet-tool test
274 2019-01-31T16:10:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 252fd15 MarcoFalke: Merge #13926: [Tools] bitcoin-wallet - a tool for creating and managing wa...
275 2019-01-31T16:10:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2019-01-31T16:10:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2019-01-31T16:10:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #13926: [Tools] bitcoin-wallet - a tool for creating and managing wallets offline (master...wallet_tool) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13926
278 2019-01-31T16:10:51  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-01-31T16:14:14  *** fanquake has quit IRC
280 2019-01-31T16:14:44  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-01-31T16:18:02  <provoostenator> p2p_invalid_messages.py seems to fail more than average... https://travis-ci.org/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/486996280
282 2019-01-31T16:21:43  <provoostenator> Not sure if that was before or after #15246, so maybe just ignore it...
283 2019-01-31T16:21:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15246 | qa: Add tests for invalid message headers by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #15246 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
284 2019-01-31T16:21:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
285 2019-01-31T16:23:32  *** thedevworks_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-01-31T16:26:00  *** thedevworks has quit IRC
287 2019-01-31T16:28:48  *** setpill has quit IRC
288 2019-01-31T16:29:52  *** jungly has quit IRC
289 2019-01-31T16:30:19  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-01-31T16:33:26  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-01-31T16:34:27  *** promag has quit IRC
292 2019-01-31T16:44:22  *** kexkey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2019-01-31T16:46:47  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2019-01-31T16:54:40  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
295 2019-01-31T16:55:27  *** jtimon has quit IRC
296 2019-01-31T16:57:17  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2019-01-31T17:01:41  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-01-31T17:05:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2019-01-31T17:05:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/252fd15addf1...efb6ddef9cb3
300 2019-01-31T17:05:54  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f1f4bb7 Russell Yanofsky: Free BerkeleyEnvironment instances when not in use
301 2019-01-31T17:05:55  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 88b1d95 Pierre Rochard: Tests: add unit tests for GetWalletEnv
302 2019-01-31T17:05:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 14bc2a1 Pierre Rochard: Trivial: add doxygen-compatible comments relating to BerkeleyEnvironment
303 2019-01-31T17:06:03  *** promag has quit IRC
304 2019-01-31T17:06:04  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2019-01-31T17:06:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2019-01-31T17:06:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #11911: Free BerkeleyEnvironment instances when not in use (master...pr/countenv) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11911
307 2019-01-31T17:06:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
308 2019-01-31T17:12:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-01-31T17:12:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15303: travis: Remove unused FUNCTIONAL_TESTS_CONFIG (master...Mf1901-travisFun) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15303
310 2019-01-31T17:12:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
311 2019-01-31T17:16:29  *** thedevworks_ has quit IRC
312 2019-01-31T17:22:23  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
313 2019-01-31T17:27:46  *** millerti has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2019-01-31T17:28:21  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2019-01-31T17:29:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
316 2019-01-31T17:31:04  *** ThomasLuong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2019-01-31T17:32:24  *** miknotauro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2019-01-31T17:38:52  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2019-01-31T17:39:40  *** harding has quit IRC
320 2019-01-31T17:42:24  *** promag has quit IRC
321 2019-01-31T17:52:39  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2019-01-31T17:54:24  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2019-01-31T17:56:33  *** harding has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2019-01-31T18:02:28  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
325 2019-01-31T18:14:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2019-01-31T18:14:20  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/efb6ddef9cb3...4b6673d38261
327 2019-01-31T18:14:20  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3617f11 João Barbosa: Fix assertion in CKey::SignCompact
328 2019-01-31T18:14:21  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4b6673d Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15299: Fix assertion in CKey::SignCompact
329 2019-01-31T18:14:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2019-01-31T18:15:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2019-01-31T18:15:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15299: Fix assertion in CKey::SignCompact (master...019-01-ckey-signcompact) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15299
332 2019-01-31T18:15:03  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
333 2019-01-31T18:15:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-01-31T18:22:29  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2019-01-31T18:28:07  *** miknotauro has quit IRC
336 2019-01-31T18:29:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
337 2019-01-31T18:45:53  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
338 2019-01-31T18:51:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2019-01-31T18:54:32  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
340 2019-01-31T18:55:32  <promag> meeting in 5?
341 2019-01-31T18:55:38  <wumpus> yes
342 2019-01-31T18:56:12  <jamesob> oh man it's already thursday
343 2019-01-31T18:58:36  <wumpus> yess
344 2019-01-31T18:59:16  <sdaftuar> hi
345 2019-01-31T18:59:41  *** Kvaciral has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
346 2019-01-31T19:00:00  <jamesob> hi
347 2019-01-31T19:00:06  <wumpus> #startmeeting
348 2019-01-31T19:00:06  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jan 31 19:00:06 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
349 2019-01-31T19:00:06  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
350 2019-01-31T19:00:18  <achow101> hi
351 2019-01-31T19:00:21  <jnewbery> hi
352 2019-01-31T19:00:22  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
353 2019-01-31T19:00:28  <dongcarl> hi
354 2019-01-31T19:00:29  <meshcollider> hi
355 2019-01-31T19:00:48  <instagibbs> hola
356 2019-01-31T19:00:58  <wumpus> topics?
357 2019-01-31T19:01:01  <jonasschnelli> hi
358 2019-01-31T19:01:15  <promag> hi
359 2019-01-31T19:01:18  <gwillen> buenos dias
360 2019-01-31T19:01:30  <luke-jr> I want to suggest we change rebasing policy/expectations
361 2019-01-31T19:01:33  <promag> boa noite
362 2019-01-31T19:01:34  <sipa> hello, half here
363 2019-01-31T19:01:56  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
364 2019-01-31T19:02:15  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
365 2019-01-31T19:02:16  <provoostenator> hi
366 2019-01-31T19:02:28  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
367 2019-01-31T19:02:45  <wumpus> still 7 PRs left, don't think we should add anything
368 2019-01-31T19:03:30  <wumpus> but open to suggestions if there's replacements etc that need to be made
369 2019-01-31T19:03:45  <promag> would appreciate some more feedback on #15153 (and it's dependency)
370 2019-01-31T19:03:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15153 | gui: Add Open Wallet menu by promag · Pull Request #15153 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
371 2019-01-31T19:04:09  <wumpus> note that tomorrow is strings freeze for 0.18
372 2019-01-31T19:04:14  <jnewbery> promag: I'm going to try to look at that today
373 2019-01-31T19:04:24  <wumpus> and in two weeks the feature freeze
374 2019-01-31T19:05:09  <promag> jnewbery: maybe we should postpone multiwallet gui for 0.19? and maybe backport to 0.18.1?
375 2019-01-31T19:05:09  <sdaftuar> i would like to review beg for #14897 -- in addition to being a useful feature in its own right, it paves the way for several simple transaction download improvements (some of which i'm hoping could land in 0.18)
376 2019-01-31T19:05:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14897 | randomize GETDATA(tx) request order and introduce bias toward outbound by naumenkogs · Pull Request #14897 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
377 2019-01-31T19:05:26  <jamesob> will take a look today (fwiw)
378 2019-01-31T19:05:40  <wumpus> sdaftuar: that one is already in high prio I think?
379 2019-01-31T19:05:44  <sdaftuar> wumpus: yep
380 2019-01-31T19:06:07  <sdaftuar> i think it's nearly ready (the nits i left on the PR could be dealt with later)
381 2019-01-31T19:06:10  <sdaftuar> but needs more review
382 2019-01-31T19:06:32  <wumpus> okay, great!
383 2019-01-31T19:06:41  <jnewbery> #11082 has required rebase for 10 days and has outstanding review comments from December. Should it be removed from high priority?
384 2019-01-31T19:06:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11082 | Add new bitcoin_rw.conf file that is used for settings modified by this software itself by luke-jr · Pull Request #11082 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
385 2019-01-31T19:07:13  <provoostenator> jnewbery: I don't think it's a good idea to merge that so close to release, as much as I'd like to have it
386 2019-01-31T19:07:34  <provoostenator> Also it doesn't really do anything on its own afaik, and the stuff on top of it isn't ready.
387 2019-01-31T19:07:36  <wumpus> I tend to agree
388 2019-01-31T19:07:43  <wumpus> okay, going to remove it
389 2019-01-31T19:08:02  <provoostenator> As for multiwallet: it would be nice to get opening a wallet in
390 2019-01-31T19:08:12  *** Krellan has quit IRC
391 2019-01-31T19:08:33  <provoostenator> But not end of the world if not.
392 2019-01-31T19:08:37  <jnewbery> I agree with trying to get multiwallet open into v0.18
393 2019-01-31T19:08:41  <jonasschnelli> Agree. Open wallet would be nice.
394 2019-01-31T19:08:43  <promag> I know I have one HP PR, but it depends on #15280 so if you don't mind that could be in the list too
395 2019-01-31T19:08:44  <wumpus> #15153 is on the high prio list
396 2019-01-31T19:08:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15280 | gui: Fix shutdown order by promag · Pull Request #15280 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
397 2019-01-31T19:08:47  <sdaftuar> if we're thinking about pruning from the high priority list to focus on 0.18, then i think #15141 could be removed as well.  it's ready for review but not essential for 0.18 IMO (and maybe we'd want it to simmer in master for longer before a release anyway)
398 2019-01-31T19:08:47  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15153 | gui: Add Open Wallet menu by promag · Pull Request #15153 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
399 2019-01-31T19:08:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15141 | Rewrite DoS interface between validation and net_processing by sdaftuar · Pull Request #15141 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
400 2019-01-31T19:09:40  <jamesob> likewise for #15118 if 0.18 is the focus
401 2019-01-31T19:09:43  <provoostenator> wumpus: regarding strings, if some GUI changes misses the string deadline, then that part is just English-only, right?
402 2019-01-31T19:09:43  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15118 | Refactor block file logic by jimpo · Pull Request #15118 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
403 2019-01-31T19:09:46  <wumpus> sdaftuar: nah not necessarily! it's just that if PRs have outstanding comments for a long time, and are not being updated, there's not that much urgency apparently
404 2019-01-31T19:09:47  <provoostenator> Or does it explode?
405 2019-01-31T19:10:16  <wumpus> provoostenator: idieally it would be avoided completely, but yes that's the effect
406 2019-01-31T19:10:34  <wumpus> provoostenator: I'm okay with *adding* strings after that if we can't avoid it, but not changing them
407 2019-01-31T19:11:11  <sdaftuar> wumpus: ok happy to keep it on there too, it's holding up other work i have going on!  we can revisit as we get closer to feature freeze i guess
408 2019-01-31T19:11:15  <wumpus> (e.g. no "improve wording" PRs)
409 2019-01-31T19:11:56  <wumpus> but yeah it's good to give the translators some time
410 2019-01-31T19:13:49  <wumpus> ok, that concludes the topic I think
411 2019-01-31T19:14:09  <wumpus> #topic rebasing policy/expectations (luke-jr)
412 2019-01-31T19:14:47  <promag> we don't require rebase do we?
413 2019-01-31T19:14:57  <luke-jr> a lot of time seems wasted on rebasing needlessly; I'd like to suggest we only expect rebasing when there's a major conflict, or the PR is literally about to be merged
414 2019-01-31T19:15:30  <luke-jr> promag: apparently some people consider it a show-stopper on progress for PRs if it "needs" rebase
415 2019-01-31T19:16:14  <wumpus> people usually want to test PRs on top of master, which is not straightforward if they need rebase, but yea for review it shouldn't strictly be necessary
416 2019-01-31T19:16:32  <wumpus> it's up to you really
417 2019-01-31T19:16:40  <promag> I think that's "requested" after trivial review
418 2019-01-31T19:17:07  <meshcollider> Rebase can often partially invalidate reviews anyway unless its trivial in which case theres no point not doing it
419 2019-01-31T19:17:17  <provoostenator> Lack of rebase normally won't stop me from reviewing, unless I expect a problem.
420 2019-01-31T19:17:17  <wumpus> though everything that makes people more willing to review your PR might be welcome given how many there are ...
421 2019-01-31T19:17:32  <provoostenator> Maybe though we need additional tag "Really Needs Rebase"
422 2019-01-31T19:17:46  <wumpus> I had it under 242 some weeks ago but ugh
423 2019-01-31T19:17:58  <luke-jr> well, we have a bot more recently that closes stuff and nags over even trivial rebases
424 2019-01-31T19:18:23  <provoostenator> Ah that's a good point, maybe Drahtbot should be less aggressive in that regard.
425 2019-01-31T19:18:32  <provoostenator> Only close if Really Needs Rebase is set? :-)
426 2019-01-31T19:18:46  <wumpus> drahtbot doesn't close PRs
427 2019-01-31T19:18:54  <jnewbery> I think Drahtbot only closes if a PR has needed rebase for a _really_ long time
428 2019-01-31T19:19:08  <achow101> drahtbot will close and reopen PRs to retrigger travis
429 2019-01-31T19:19:13  <wumpus> it only adds a label "needs rebase" and posts a message in that regard
430 2019-01-31T19:19:14  <jamesob> doesn't drahtbot only ask for a rebase if there are conflicts?
431 2019-01-31T19:19:23  <meshcollider> It does after like a very long time and tags it with up for grabs
432 2019-01-31T19:19:32  <meshcollider> Close PRs ^
433 2019-01-31T19:19:35  <wumpus> meshcollider: I don't think it does so automatically
434 2019-01-31T19:19:52  <wumpus> or at least I've never noticed
435 2019-01-31T19:20:04  <jamesob> drahtbot does close and mark up-for-grabs, e.g. #13200
436 2019-01-31T19:20:04  <jnewbery> example: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12965#issuecomment-423611058
437 2019-01-31T19:20:08  <luke-jr> part of my motivation for bringing this up, is that (without naming names) we've apparently lost devs in part over the constant rebasing
438 2019-01-31T19:20:08  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13200 | Process logs in a separate thread by jamesob · Pull Request #13200 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
439 2019-01-31T19:20:09  <promag> FWIW I don't mind rebasing
440 2019-01-31T19:20:10  <meshcollider> Marco runs an extra script occasionally I think
441 2019-01-31T19:20:17  <wumpus> though if it's after a very long time I don't mind ...
442 2019-01-31T19:20:19  <provoostenator> I've seen it happen a few times as well
443 2019-01-31T19:20:31  <wumpus> there's probaly quite a few PRs that could be closed
444 2019-01-31T19:20:41  <provoostenator> But often the problem isn't a lack of rebase, it's either a lack of feedback or a lack of addressing feedback.
445 2019-01-31T19:20:47  <wumpus> sometimes I just want to close them all and start anew xD
446 2019-01-31T19:21:03  <sdaftuar> luke-jr: i agree with the sentiment you bring up, but its unclear to me how much of the irritation is from being nagged about rebasing, versus the repo activity that is requiring so many rebases in the first place
447 2019-01-31T19:21:03  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
448 2019-01-31T19:21:19  <jnewbery> wumpus: I agree. If something's needed rebase for > 6 months then it's clearly not a priority for the contributor. It can always be re-opened if it becames a priority
449 2019-01-31T19:21:29  <jonasschnelli> also,... there are some PR not meant to be merged (WIP / Experimental)
450 2019-01-31T19:21:46  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: I think that's great
451 2019-01-31T19:21:59  <provoostenator> jnewbery: not necessarily, there's no point in rebasing if you're not getting enough concept ACK and agreement on technical direction
452 2019-01-31T19:21:59  <wumpus> (if they're clearly marked as that)
453 2019-01-31T19:22:05  <jonasschnelli> Yes. Some PR are to attract developers and spun up new ideas
454 2019-01-31T19:22:09  <provoostenator> So it could be a priority for the developer, just not for the reviewers.
455 2019-01-31T19:22:18  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
456 2019-01-31T19:23:05  <jnewbery> provoostenator: I think Draht only closes if there's been no activity at all. If you're not getting _any_ interaction from other contributors then again, it's probably not a priority for anyone
457 2019-01-31T19:23:07  <wumpus> so it's a pretty busy repository and a lot of changes are happening, there's nothing to be done about that, it's the same for other popular open source projects
458 2019-01-31T19:23:42  *** myquidproquo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
459 2019-01-31T19:23:53  <provoostenator> Ok, if _any_ activity is fine, then it's not unreasonable to expect e.g. the contributor themselves to give a quick "anybody out there?" update.
460 2019-01-31T19:24:05  <luke-jr> wumpus: I think it would help, if maintainers indicated they're prepared to merge a PR, and it got rebased specifically for the merge. (assuming reviewers continue to review despite trivial rebases)
461 2019-01-31T19:24:06  <wumpus> provoostenator: yes, that's fine!
462 2019-01-31T19:24:10  <achow101> the only issue i have with rebases is that someone would comment "needs rebase", the author rebases, and then receives no reviews until the next "needs rebase" comment from someone
463 2019-01-31T19:24:25  <wumpus> it's *really* common for a PR to be waiting for *any* response from the author to comments
464 2019-01-31T19:24:37  <wumpus> even if that's "I prefer not to address this as it's out of scope"
465 2019-01-31T19:24:49  <wumpus> but you need to reply to comments
466 2019-01-31T19:24:56  <provoostenator> Yes, one thing that might help is if people are less shy to just take over PRs.
467 2019-01-31T19:25:17  <provoostenator> achow101 took one over from me pretty quickly, changing it somewhat, which is great, saves me work.
468 2019-01-31T19:25:33  <wumpus> no one is going to merge a PR with un-addressed comments
469 2019-01-31T19:26:27  *** booyah has quit IRC
470 2019-01-31T19:26:28  <wumpus> I mean we can prod people to review all we want, if reviews just go ignored there's no point
471 2019-01-31T19:26:37  <provoostenator> A slightly less drastic alternative to opening an alternative PR is to link to a branch in the comments, but branches are not easy to review.
472 2019-01-31T19:27:02  <provoostenator> Github, if you're listening, you should add a PR fork feature :-)
473 2019-01-31T19:27:09  <wumpus> heh
474 2019-01-31T19:27:27  <luke-jr> it'd be nice if the PR # could stay the same with multiple contributors :P
475 2019-01-31T19:27:40  <jnewbery> Speaking from personal experience, I've never had much of an issue with rebases. I only ever have a handful of PRs open at maximum, so rebasing isn't too onerous. I think it only becomes a problem if you have a lot of open PRs
476 2019-01-31T19:28:05  *** myquidproquo has quit IRC
477 2019-01-31T19:28:11  <jamesob> rebasing should be MORE onerous ;)
478 2019-01-31T19:28:13  <wumpus> it also depends on the kind of PR, if you only have localized changes it's not too bad
479 2019-01-31T19:28:26  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
480 2019-01-31T19:28:45  <sdaftuar> some PRs are definitely a pain to rebase
481 2019-01-31T19:28:46  <provoostenator> It gets exponentially bad if you build multiple PRs on top of each other.
482 2019-01-31T19:28:54  <wumpus> also means you need to rebase less often because there's less chance of it colliding with other changes
483 2019-01-31T19:29:02  <wumpus> avoid change-all-over-the-place PRs
484 2019-01-31T19:29:52  <jnewbery> provoostenator - shouldn't be exponential. In my experience it's sub-linear if the PRs are a series because rebasing the first is often the only actual work.
485 2019-01-31T19:30:23  <jnewbery> (again, just personal experience. Yours may vary!)
486 2019-01-31T19:30:25  <luke-jr> I think I have a tendency to rebase once per release, and on the rare occasion someone pings me for a merge
487 2019-01-31T19:31:44  <jonasschnelli> A rebase quick before a merge is dangerous IMO...
488 2019-01-31T19:31:48  <MarcoFalke> I agree with what meshcollider said earlier: [14:17] <meshcollider> Rebase can often partially invalidate reviews anyway unless its trivial in which case theres no point not doing it
489 2019-01-31T19:31:48  <jonasschnelli> we had this in the past
490 2019-01-31T19:31:48  <provoostenator> It might just be my lacking git skills, still haven't found an optimal way to say "start with master, add branch X, then branch Y, then rebase the new stuff on the current branch"
491 2019-01-31T19:32:17  <jnewbery> I don't think this is actually a project-wide policy. I personally tend not to review PRs that have needed rebase for a long time because: - it signals that the contributor may not actively be working on the PR; - my review will be invalidated by the rebase anyway.
492 2019-01-31T19:32:19  <jonasschnelli> Constant rebasing is part of QA (rebased versions gets reviews)... and a sadly necessary IMO
493 2019-01-31T19:32:25  <MarcoFalke> Indeed, rebases often go wrong (as in the conflict is solved in the wrong way)
494 2019-01-31T19:33:04  <provoostenator> I often check rebases with:  PREV=... N=... && git range-diff `git merge-base --all HEAD $PREV`...$PREV HEAD~$N...HEAD
495 2019-01-31T19:33:18  <provoostenator> Where PREV is the last thing I acked, and N is the number of commits in the branch
496 2019-01-31T19:33:23  <jonasschnelli> Also, constant rebasing makes you also up do date with changes around your code (which you otherwise would miss) *duck*
497 2019-01-31T19:33:52  <wumpus> jnewbery: I agree
498 2019-01-31T19:34:50  <wumpus> and yes, this isn't a project-wide policy, but one that every reviewer determines for themselves, how do you consider what to review?
499 2019-01-31T19:34:52  <provoostenator> Drahtbot might be able to help verify that a straight rebase is just that, maybe saying something like "existing ACK ... is the same as [new hash] rebased"
500 2019-01-31T19:35:18  *** ThomasLuong has quit IRC
501 2019-01-31T19:35:18  <wumpus> I don' think we can make much progress here, besides knowing each other's perspective
502 2019-01-31T19:35:25  <MarcoFalke> Also, DrahtBot will list all conflicts with other pull requests, so it should give some idea what best to review first or what to prioritize (or for the author) if it might help to split up the pull request into smaller changes
503 2019-01-31T19:35:34  <luke-jr> provoostenator: that's trusting the bot a bit too much
504 2019-01-31T19:36:08  <MarcoFalke> provoostenator: We don't need a rebase if it is a effective "fast forward"
505 2019-01-31T19:36:15  <provoostenator> I didn't say "trust the bot"
506 2019-01-31T19:36:43  <MarcoFalke> Either the bot tracks it as conflict or it doesn't need rebase
507 2019-01-31T19:36:47  * sipa has little opinion
508 2019-01-31T19:37:04  <wumpus> we don't have any other topics do we :<
509 2019-01-31T19:37:24  <gwillen> provoostenator: I can probably answer git questions on "how to convince it to do X", given some details
510 2019-01-31T19:37:36  <jnewbery> I'd like to quickly mention the residency again, but only at the end if we don't have other topics
511 2019-01-31T19:37:49  <wumpus> PSA: release schedule for 0.18.0: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14438
512 2019-01-31T19:38:05  <promag> even a straight rebase can result in broken travis
513 2019-01-31T19:38:14  <wumpus> feature freeze is in roughly two weeks! hurry up :<
514 2019-01-31T19:38:20  * sdaftuar types faster
515 2019-01-31T19:38:23  <wumpus> hehe
516 2019-01-31T19:38:56  <wumpus> March 1 is planned branch split-off
517 2019-01-31T19:40:21  <wumpus> #topic Chaincode residency (jnewbery)
518 2019-01-31T19:40:50  <jnewbery> Thanks wumpus. A couple of things: 1. I emailed a bunch of you to ask about mentorship. Thank you to everyone who replied!
519 2019-01-31T19:41:37  <jnewbery> 2. we officially announced the residency today. We're still looking for great engineers who want to spend summer working on Bitcoin or Lightning with us. If you know anyone who might be appropriate, please send them our way at https://residency.chaincode.com/#apply
520 2019-01-31T19:41:44  <jnewbery> (endtopic)
521 2019-01-31T19:42:34  <wumpus> thanks!
522 2019-01-31T19:43:36  <wumpus> anyone with other topics ?
523 2019-01-31T19:45:29  <wumpus> #endmeeting
524 2019-01-31T19:45:29  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jan 31 19:45:29 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
525 2019-01-31T19:45:29  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-01-31-19.00.html
526 2019-01-31T19:45:29  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-01-31-19.00.txt
527 2019-01-31T19:45:29  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-01-31-19.00.log.html
528 2019-01-31T19:47:13  <gwillen> provoostenator: although I guess specifically for what you're asking, I don't know of a better way than two rebases (first rebase X onto current, then rebase Y onto current) if I'm correly understanding
529 2019-01-31T19:47:21  <gwillen> correctly*
530 2019-01-31T19:48:26  *** hebasto has quit IRC
531 2019-01-31T19:48:29  <provoostenator> gwillen: this incantation works for me:  PREV=... N=... && git range-diff `git merge-base --all HEAD $PREV`...$PREV HEAD~$N...HEAD
532 2019-01-31T19:48:42  <provoostenator> It's ugly
533 2019-01-31T19:49:25  <gwillen> heh, my git does not even have "range-diff"
534 2019-01-31T19:49:32  <provoostenator> It's pretty new
535 2019-01-31T19:49:39  <provoostenator> And very colorful.
536 2019-01-31T19:49:58  <provoostenator> It shows stuff that's been added on top of what was added last time, etc
537 2019-01-31T19:50:31  <gwillen> right, like the gitlab "changes to this PR since last force-push" feature
538 2019-01-31T19:50:36  <gwillen> which I forget whether github has
539 2019-01-31T19:52:36  <jnewbery> provoostenator: I not sure of exactly the scenario you're talking about. If you mean "I have PR X, and PR Y which builds on X, and X needs rebase", then I'd say don't bother updating Y at all. X needs to be merged before anyone should review Y. Once X is merged, reset Y onto master, then cherry-pick the Y commits, resolving conflicts as you go.
540 2019-01-31T19:55:24  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
541 2019-01-31T19:55:25  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4b6673d38261...3b19d8e341a5
542 2019-01-31T19:55:25  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5209106 Chun Kuan Lee: msvc: build secp256k1 locally
543 2019-01-31T19:55:26  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 82dcacb Chun Kuan Lee: msvc: build leveldb locally
544 2019-01-31T19:55:26  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3b19d8e MarcoFalke: Merge #14372: msvc: build secp256k1 and leveldb locally
545 2019-01-31T19:55:36  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
546 2019-01-31T19:55:40  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
547 2019-01-31T19:55:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
548 2019-01-31T19:55:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #14372:  msvc: build secp256k1 and leveldb locally (master...018-10-02-msvc-code) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14372
549 2019-01-31T19:55:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2019-01-31T19:57:10  *** spinza has quit IRC
551 2019-01-31T19:59:34  <provoostenator> jnewbery: oh wait, I was talking about the simpler task, during review, of checking what changed since the last rebase. That's what that incantation does.
552 2019-01-31T20:00:04  <provoostenator> As for the scenario you refer to, the reason I would rebase is so I can keep working on it
553 2019-01-31T20:00:37  <provoostenator> Usually the issue is that a new version of X fixes something that I need to continue working on Y.
554 2019-01-31T20:00:48  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
555 2019-01-31T20:01:19  <provoostenator> Another scenario is rebasing on master, when conflicts arise in X. In that case I usually just wait for the author of X do to the rebase, but then I get back to the above problem.
556 2019-01-31T20:01:31  <jnewbery> ah ok, sorry. Thought you were still talking about the exponentially bad rebase problem!
557 2019-01-31T20:01:38  <provoostenator> I think I need to use interactive rebase and then swap out commits with pick.
558 2019-01-31T20:03:16  *** harding has quit IRC
559 2019-01-31T20:03:33  *** harding has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2019-01-31T20:04:16  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
561 2019-01-31T20:05:24  *** dermoth_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2019-01-31T20:05:24  *** dermoth has quit IRC
563 2019-01-31T20:05:40  *** dermoth_ is now known as dermoth
564 2019-01-31T20:05:42  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
565 2019-01-31T20:06:36  <jnewbery> my solution (and this isn't to say anyone else should do this): if I'm running too far ahead of review (too many PRs open, my PRs queued up behind other people's PRs, etc), then I switch focus to reviewing other people's PRs rather than continue writing code that no-one's going to review for the time being.
566 2019-01-31T20:10:11  <promag> jnewbery: +1, I also pick a couple of issues I'm comfortable with and try to push a fix
567 2019-01-31T20:11:18  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: would be nice if you could review #15091 since you commented on it.
568 2019-01-31T20:11:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15091 | GUI: fix model overlay header sync by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #15091 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
569 2019-01-31T20:11:24  <jonasschnelli> Its a bug fix and I think it should go into 0.18
570 2019-01-31T20:11:51  <jonasschnelli> (no hurry though as not affected by the freeze)
571 2019-01-31T20:14:03  *** booyah has quit IRC
572 2019-01-31T20:15:17  *** promag has quit IRC
573 2019-01-31T20:16:39  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: sure !
574 2019-01-31T20:16:47  <jonasschnelli> thanks
575 2019-01-31T20:19:10  <provoostenator> jnewbery: I go back and forth between writing code in similar ways, though it also depends on my mood :-)
576 2019-01-31T20:19:23  <provoostenator> *between writing code and review
577 2019-01-31T20:24:02  *** Murch has quit IRC
578 2019-01-31T20:28:41  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2019-01-31T20:33:46  *** spinza has quit IRC
580 2019-01-31T20:35:56  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
581 2019-01-31T20:46:30  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
582 2019-01-31T20:47:18  *** nullptr| has quit IRC
583 2019-01-31T20:49:07  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
584 2019-01-31T20:52:16  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2019-01-31T20:55:01  *** nullptr| has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
586 2019-01-31T21:03:45  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2019-01-31T21:11:28  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
588 2019-01-31T21:13:15  *** ThomasLuong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
589 2019-01-31T21:15:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
590 2019-01-31T21:15:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar opened pull request #15305: [validation] Crash if disconnecting a block fails (master...019-01-disconnect-failure-shutdown) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15305
591 2019-01-31T21:15:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2019-01-31T21:19:26  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
593 2019-01-31T21:35:50  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2019-01-31T21:40:03  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
595 2019-01-31T21:43:26  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
596 2019-01-31T21:58:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
597 2019-01-31T22:07:16  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
598 2019-01-31T22:11:26  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2019-01-31T22:19:52  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
600 2019-01-31T22:20:22  *** Murch has quit IRC
601 2019-01-31T22:21:52  *** promag has quit IRC
602 2019-01-31T22:23:43  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
603 2019-01-31T22:24:11  <jnewbery> Using the `--usecli` option makes tests run extremely slowly. See the `--usecli` tests here: https://travis-ci.org/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/487152891 for example. Reproduces locally for me.
604 2019-01-31T22:24:21  <jnewbery> is this a known issue? I don't think this used to be the case
605 2019-01-31T22:28:16  *** promag_ has quit IRC
606 2019-01-31T22:32:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2019-01-31T22:32:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3b19d8e341a5...cb35f1d305d8
608 2019-01-31T22:32:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2e02341 Andrew Chow: tests: unify RPC argument to cli argument conversion and handle dicts and ...
609 2019-01-31T22:32:51  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master cb35f1d MarcoFalke: Merge #15301: tests: When testing with --usecli, unify RPC arg to cli arg ...
610 2019-01-31T22:32:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
611 2019-01-31T22:33:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
612 2019-01-31T22:33:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15301: tests: When testing with --usecli, unify RPC arg to cli arg conversion and handle dicts and lists (master...fix-tests-cli-args) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15301
613 2019-01-31T22:33:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2019-01-31T22:34:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2019-01-31T22:34:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #15307: [WIP] [tool] Add salvage and zaptxs commands to bitcoin-wallet (master...wallet_tool_zaptxs_salvage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15307
616 2019-01-31T22:34:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
617 2019-01-31T22:36:37  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2019-01-31T22:36:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Empact closed pull request #14998: Run CI against ubuntu 14.04 (master...qt52) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14998
619 2019-01-31T22:36:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
620 2019-01-31T22:36:57  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
621 2019-01-31T22:41:52  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2019-01-31T22:41:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Empact opened pull request #15308: ci: Build and test Trusty against system libraries, fix incompatibilities (master...trusty-no-depends) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15308
623 2019-01-31T22:41:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
624 2019-01-31T22:58:12  *** spinza has quit IRC
625 2019-01-31T23:00:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
626 2019-01-31T23:05:32  *** promag has quit IRC
627 2019-01-31T23:18:33  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
628 2019-01-31T23:24:21  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
629 2019-01-31T23:25:10  *** ddustin has quit IRC
630 2019-01-31T23:25:49  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
631 2019-01-31T23:34:06  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
632 2019-01-31T23:38:23  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
633 2019-01-31T23:44:30  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2019-01-31T23:45:00  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
635 2019-01-31T23:51:04  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
636 2019-01-31T23:52:09  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
637 2019-01-31T23:55:13  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2019-01-31T23:58:26  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC