1 2019-02-07T00:06:03  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2019-02-07T00:16:44  *** pinheadmz has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-02-07T00:17:06  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-02-07T00:23:58  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2019-02-07T00:24:20  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
  6 2019-02-07T00:24:59  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2019-02-07T00:59:33  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
  8 2019-02-07T01:03:21  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
  9 2019-02-07T01:13:12  *** Jamesorty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-02-07T01:13:12  *** Jamesorty has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2019-02-07T01:19:10  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-02-07T01:38:13  *** rhavar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2019-02-07T01:47:15  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-02-07T01:53:17  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 15 2019-02-07T01:53:42  *** Murch has quit IRC
 16 2019-02-07T01:54:46  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 17 2019-02-07T02:08:26  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-02-07T02:48:04  *** skyikot has quit IRC
 19 2019-02-07T02:50:57  *** ap4lmtree- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2019-02-07T02:53:31  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2019-02-07T02:53:48  *** ap4lmtree has quit IRC
 22 2019-02-07T03:08:22  *** ogru has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2019-02-07T03:08:24  *** ogru has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-02-07T03:20:10  *** drexl has quit IRC
 25 2019-02-07T03:27:22  *** skyikot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2019-02-07T03:28:45  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2019-02-07T03:34:25  *** Murch has quit IRC
 28 2019-02-07T03:35:05  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-02-07T03:36:01  *** Murch has quit IRC
 30 2019-02-07T03:39:03  *** Dienqeall has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2019-02-07T03:39:05  *** Dienqeall has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-02-07T03:42:40  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 33 2019-02-07T03:49:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 34 2019-02-07T03:50:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-02-07T03:51:13  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2019-02-07T03:52:34  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-02-07T03:57:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 38 2019-02-07T03:58:23  *** instagibbs has quit IRC
 39 2019-02-07T03:59:00  *** ap4lmtree- is now known as ap4lmtree
 40 2019-02-07T04:00:47  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 41 2019-02-07T04:02:33  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2019-02-07T04:02:52  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
 43 2019-02-07T04:07:03  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 44 2019-02-07T04:08:35  *** ddustin_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-02-07T04:11:42  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 46 2019-02-07T04:11:54  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-02-07T04:31:11  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2019-02-07T04:44:46  *** volkov has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2019-02-07T04:50:32  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 50 2019-02-07T05:03:46  *** ddustin_ has quit IRC
 51 2019-02-07T05:04:22  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-02-07T05:08:26  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 53 2019-02-07T05:37:35  *** skyikot has quit IRC
 54 2019-02-07T05:45:50  *** ap4lmtree has quit IRC
 55 2019-02-07T05:52:22  *** ap4lmtree has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-02-07T05:53:47  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2019-02-07T05:58:07  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 58 2019-02-07T05:59:51  *** Xianglo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2019-02-07T06:09:59  *** Xianglo has quit IRC
 60 2019-02-07T06:13:55  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
 61 2019-02-07T06:14:12  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-02-07T06:14:21  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
 63 2019-02-07T06:14:22  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-02-07T06:54:52  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2019-02-07T07:13:44  *** Xianglo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-02-07T07:14:06  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
 67 2019-02-07T07:14:28  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-02-07T07:14:33  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2019-02-07T07:15:32  *** Xianglo has quit IRC
 70 2019-02-07T07:16:49  *** Jackielove4u has quit IRC
 71 2019-02-07T07:17:14  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2019-02-07T07:25:29  *** Xianglo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-02-07T07:25:40  *** Xianglo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2019-02-07T07:27:58  *** Xianglo has quit IRC
 75 2019-02-07T07:31:16  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2019-02-07T07:37:54  *** Jackielove4u has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-02-07T07:52:16  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 78 2019-02-07T07:53:01  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 79 2019-02-07T08:03:58  *** ctrlbreak_MAD has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2019-02-07T08:07:08  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
 81 2019-02-07T08:39:09  *** niu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2019-02-07T08:44:58  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-02-07T08:46:26  *** niu has quit IRC
 84 2019-02-07T08:57:15  *** darosior has quit IRC
 85 2019-02-07T08:59:51  *** volkov has quit IRC
 86 2019-02-07T09:00:04  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2019-02-07T09:06:01  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2019-02-07T09:10:08  *** Murch has quit IRC
 89 2019-02-07T09:12:12  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-02-07T09:14:28  *** midnightmagic has quit IRC
 91 2019-02-07T09:16:31  *** darosior has quit IRC
 92 2019-02-07T09:17:45  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 93 2019-02-07T09:18:45  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2019-02-07T09:23:28  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 95 2019-02-07T09:36:04  *** midnightmagic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2019-02-07T09:37:19  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-02-07T09:39:23  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2019-02-07T09:41:32  *** phwalkr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2019-02-07T09:42:00  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2019-02-07T09:49:56  *** jtimon has quit IRC
101 2019-02-07T09:55:51  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-02-07T10:01:16  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
103 2019-02-07T10:07:49  <gwillen> ... why does the test runner keep logs in files named "test_runner_₿_🏃_...", with a unicode bitcoin sign and a unicode running-man emoji
104 2019-02-07T10:13:01  <echeveria> gwillen: to check if your filesystem supports UTF characters.
105 2019-02-07T10:27:40  *** rhavar_ has quit IRC
106 2019-02-07T10:35:51  <phwalkr> Is it possible/common to build a transaction with inputs of different types? I mean, one p2sh input, one p2pkh input and so on
107 2019-02-07T10:36:32  <echeveria> phwalkr: this is normal. more a question for #bitcoin.
108 2019-02-07T10:37:38  <phwalkr> echeveria: Sorry about that. And thank you for answering it!
109 2019-02-07T10:38:47  <warren> I've noticed in recent years that the download size savings of .drpm vs .rpm is only a small % these days. I wonder if something about builds containing randomization makes the delta between before and after much larger than it used to years ago. In most cases it's faster to turn off deltarpm entirely.
110 2019-02-07T10:42:25  <Lauda> Has anyone encountered the following error during building depends for winx64 on Ubuntu 16 (0.17.1 tag)?
111 2019-02-07T10:42:25  <Lauda> "qwin10helpers.cpp:60:37: fatal error: uiviewsettingsinterop.h: No such file or directory"
112 2019-02-07T10:44:12  *** tryphe has quit IRC
113 2019-02-07T10:45:28  <warren> oops wrong channel sorry
114 2019-02-07T10:46:19  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2019-02-07T10:50:33  *** oneark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2019-02-07T10:54:40  <Lauda> qt 5.9.6 is where it fails if I'm reading this correctly
117 2019-02-07T10:56:17  *** spinza has quit IRC
118 2019-02-07T10:59:47  *** shesek has quit IRC
119 2019-02-07T11:02:16  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2019-02-07T11:17:39  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-02-07T11:30:46  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2019-02-07T11:30:59  <luke-jr> [10:13:01] <echeveria> gwillen: to check if your filesystem supports UTF characters.  <-- rather, to check that the Bitcoin Core code correctly handles the unicode
123 2019-02-07T11:45:04  *** drexl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-02-07T11:59:18  *** spinza has quit IRC
125 2019-02-07T12:09:19  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-02-07T12:34:22  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
127 2019-02-07T13:10:09  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2019-02-07T13:10:09  *** cubancorona has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2019-02-07T13:10:09  *** shesek has quit IRC
130 2019-02-07T13:10:09  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-02-07T13:22:26  *** fanquake has quit IRC
132 2019-02-07T13:37:27  *** brianhoffman has quit IRC
133 2019-02-07T13:38:30  *** promag has quit IRC
134 2019-02-07T13:41:07  *** Zenton has quit IRC
135 2019-02-07T13:48:10  *** instagibbs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2019-02-07T14:04:45  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
137 2019-02-07T14:07:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2019-02-07T14:11:35  *** promag has quit IRC
139 2019-02-07T14:14:15  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-02-07T14:16:22  *** mistergold has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2019-02-07T14:20:40  *** riemann_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2019-02-07T14:23:08  *** riemann has quit IRC
143 2019-02-07T14:26:01  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-02-07T14:28:00  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-02-07T14:30:45  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-02-07T14:35:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-02-07T14:35:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #15363: http: Exit the event loop as soon as there are no active events (master...2019-01-loopexit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15363
148 2019-02-07T14:35:46  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-02-07T14:37:04  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
150 2019-02-07T14:38:27  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-02-07T14:39:09  <promag> sdaftuar: with the above your new test runs in 3 sec
152 2019-02-07T14:51:18  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2019-02-07T14:59:57  <promag> provoostenator: ping
154 2019-02-07T15:06:45  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-02-07T15:07:59  <nsh> strange question but
156 2019-02-07T15:08:09  <nsh> what's the minimum number of chars for a brain wallet passphrase for a btc privkey?
157 2019-02-07T15:08:21  <nsh> ideally something that i can spell out with the pieces of a standard scrabble board
158 2019-02-07T15:08:32  <nsh> (sorry meant to ask next-door)
159 2019-02-07T15:16:13  *** volkov has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2019-02-07T15:18:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-02-07T15:18:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/72d34c0edc5a...d83d6079432c
162 2019-02-07T15:18:36  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6440e61 João Barbosa: qa: Drop RPC connection if --usecli
163 2019-02-07T15:18:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d83d607 MarcoFalke: Merge #15350: qa: Drop RPC connection if --usecli
164 2019-02-07T15:18:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2019-02-07T15:19:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-02-07T15:19:35  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15350: qa: Drop RPC connection if --usecli (master...2019-01-fixusecli) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15350
167 2019-02-07T15:19:36  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2019-02-07T15:19:42  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2019-02-07T15:25:29  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2019-02-07T15:30:08  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
171 2019-02-07T15:31:51  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2019-02-07T15:39:36  *** promag has quit IRC
173 2019-02-07T15:40:25  *** volkov has quit IRC
174 2019-02-07T15:41:27  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-02-07T15:47:56  *** hebasto has quit IRC
176 2019-02-07T15:54:39  *** bralyclo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-02-07T15:58:00  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
178 2019-02-07T16:04:16  *** setpill has quit IRC
179 2019-02-07T16:21:39  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-02-07T16:33:40  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
181 2019-02-07T16:37:02  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
182 2019-02-07T16:40:58  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
183 2019-02-07T16:43:26  *** emilr has quit IRC
184 2019-02-07T16:43:50  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-02-07T16:57:47  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-02-07T16:59:24  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-02-07T17:02:45  *** fan_of_defi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
188 2019-02-07T17:09:08  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2019-02-07T17:13:54  *** bralyclo_ has quit IRC
190 2019-02-07T17:15:25  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-02-07T17:26:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2019-02-07T17:26:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15364: qa: Fix race in feature_notifications (master...Mf1902-qaNotifRace) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15364
193 2019-02-07T17:26:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-02-07T17:27:00  *** fan_of_defi has quit IRC
195 2019-02-07T17:33:24  *** Murch has quit IRC
196 2019-02-07T17:34:22  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2019-02-07T17:37:57  *** oneark has quit IRC
198 2019-02-07T17:44:19  *** mistergold has quit IRC
199 2019-02-07T17:59:10  *** Murch has quit IRC
200 2019-02-07T18:00:03  *** dgenr8 has quit IRC
201 2019-02-07T18:01:24  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
202 2019-02-07T18:02:36  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2019-02-07T18:05:09  *** emilr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-02-07T18:07:30  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-02-07T18:07:46  *** Murch has quit IRC
206 2019-02-07T18:08:37  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-02-07T18:17:08  *** riemann_ has quit IRC
208 2019-02-07T18:20:45  *** kexkey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-02-07T18:24:56  *** profmac has quit IRC
210 2019-02-07T18:28:44  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2019-02-07T18:29:20  *** Murch has quit IRC
212 2019-02-07T18:30:20  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-02-07T18:31:47  *** Murch has quit IRC
214 2019-02-07T18:32:39  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2019-02-07T18:33:03  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2019-02-07T18:33:47  *** wale2r has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2019-02-07T18:43:45  *** Murch has quit IRC
218 2019-02-07T18:45:56  *** Zenton has quit IRC
219 2019-02-07T18:50:26  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2019-02-07T18:52:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2019-02-07T18:59:07  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
222 2019-02-07T19:00:53  <achow101> meeting?
223 2019-02-07T19:01:18  <luke-jr> ..
224 2019-02-07T19:01:27  <wumpus> #startmeeting
225 2019-02-07T19:01:27  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Feb  7 19:01:27 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
226 2019-02-07T19:01:27  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
227 2019-02-07T19:01:37  <jnewbery> hi
228 2019-02-07T19:01:45  <jonasschnelli> hi
229 2019-02-07T19:01:47  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
230 2019-02-07T19:01:53  <achow101> hi
231 2019-02-07T19:01:54  <gkrizek> hi
232 2019-02-07T19:02:01  <gwillen> buenos dias
233 2019-02-07T19:02:04  <luke-jr> wat
234 2019-02-07T19:02:27  <jamesob> hi
235 2019-02-07T19:02:49  <wumpus> PSA feature freeze for 0.18 is next week #14438
236 2019-02-07T19:02:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14438 | Release schedule for 0.18.0 · Issue #14438 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
237 2019-02-07T19:03:33  <wumpus> probably makes sense to discuss what will be ready for merge this week, as that should be prioritized for review
238 2019-02-07T19:03:37  <promag> hi
239 2019-02-07T19:03:51  <moneyball> hi - no proposedtopics from the week
240 2019-02-07T19:03:59  <wumpus> moneyball: thanks
241 2019-02-07T19:04:19  <instagibbs> hi
242 2019-02-07T19:04:22  <dongcarl> #14856 has had lots of review
243 2019-02-07T19:04:23  <wumpus> #topic 0.18 last-minute features
244 2019-02-07T19:04:24  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14856 | net: remove more CConnman globals (theuni) by dongcarl · Pull Request #14856 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
245 2019-02-07T19:04:25  <jtimon> hi
246 2019-02-07T19:04:34  <wumpus> dongcarl: that's not a feature tho
247 2019-02-07T19:04:41  * dongcarl ducks
248 2019-02-07T19:04:43  <dongcarl> true
249 2019-02-07T19:05:35  <wumpus> so there's some feature PRs both in the 0.18.0 tag and high priority for review
250 2019-02-07T19:05:38  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+project%3Abitcoin%2Fbitcoin%2F8
251 2019-02-07T19:05:48  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.18.0
252 2019-02-07T19:06:06  <wumpus> I guess most are related to the wallet
253 2019-02-07T19:06:20  <wumpus> and the importmulti descriptor imports
254 2019-02-07T19:06:30  <wumpus> oh ofc that's wallet too :<
255 2019-02-07T19:06:43  <luke-jr> XD
256 2019-02-07T19:06:58  <achow101> it would be nice for that to be merged. and blank wallets
257 2019-02-07T19:07:26  <wumpus> so yes, wallet, what will be ready for merge this week? maybe you can weigh in meshcollider?
258 2019-02-07T19:08:05  <wumpus> i see #15153 has a tested ACK
259 2019-02-07T19:08:05  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2019-02-07T19:08:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15153 | gui: Add Open Wallet menu by promag · Pull Request #15153 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
261 2019-02-07T19:09:10  <wumpus> #15226 too
262 2019-02-07T19:09:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15226 | Allow creating blank (empty) wallets (alternative) by achow101 · Pull Request #15226 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
263 2019-02-07T19:09:24  <wumpus> so I suppose they can be merged soon
264 2019-02-07T19:10:21  <wumpus> #14491 even seems ready for merge
265 2019-02-07T19:10:23  <phantomcircuit> hi
266 2019-02-07T19:10:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14491 | Allow descriptor imports with importmulti by MeshCollider · Pull Request #14491 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
267 2019-02-07T19:11:13  <wumpus> #action review last-minute wallet feature PRs for 0.18
268 2019-02-07T19:12:57  <promag> if 15153 goes then #15195 and #15204 should probably go too - but these are simpler
269 2019-02-07T19:12:59  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15195 | gui: Add Close Wallet action by promag · Pull Request #15195 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
270 2019-02-07T19:13:01  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15204 | gui: Add Open External Wallet action by promag · Pull Request #15204 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
271 2019-02-07T19:13:41  <wumpus> that's a lot for one week
272 2019-02-07T19:14:07  <wumpus> but we'll see I guess...
273 2019-02-07T19:14:10  <wumpus> any other topics?
274 2019-02-07T19:14:51  <gmaxwell> (Hi)
275 2019-02-07T19:15:14  <wumpus> (hi!)
276 2019-02-07T19:15:18  <luke-jr> should I close https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/637, or do we still want to do something for that?
277 2019-02-07T19:15:46  <wumpus> #topic Advisory and full disclosure for CVE-2018-20587 on bitcoincore.org
278 2019-02-07T19:16:12  <meshcollider> hi
279 2019-02-07T19:16:27  <wumpus> looks like the PR is somewhat controversial
280 2019-02-07T19:16:29  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
281 2019-02-07T19:16:54  <gmaxwell> that seems weird to me.
282 2019-02-07T19:17:11  <gmaxwell> it's an absurdly narrow corner case, not some major concern. it should get release notes.
283 2019-02-07T19:17:27  <luke-jr> well, there's no fix in Core, so release notes don't really make sense
284 2019-02-07T19:17:31  <luke-jr> some docs were updated tho
285 2019-02-07T19:17:40  <wumpus> I tend to agree with harding though "I'm a fan of updating the documentation in the Bitcoin Core docs/ directory and putting something into the release notes instead of publishing a long blog post that basically says that using a computer not under your exclusive control is unsafe"
286 2019-02-07T19:17:55  <sipa> hi!
287 2019-02-07T19:17:56  <gmaxwell> requires an attacker on your local host, which 99.99999% of the time means you are boned anyways.
288 2019-02-07T19:18:10  * jonasschnelli does also agree with harding 
289 2019-02-07T19:18:13  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: the attacker could be another unprivileged user
290 2019-02-07T19:18:30  <gmaxwell> and it's also a 'vulnerablity' that is shared by virtually every other piece of software with an rpc on a non-privledged port.
291 2019-02-07T19:18:30  <wumpus> gmaxwell: especially for the kind of environments that users that don't know this run
292 2019-02-07T19:18:40  <luke-jr> (FWIW, #15223 is the doc/ updates)
293 2019-02-07T19:18:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15223 | Doc: add information about security to the JSON-RPC doc by harding · Pull Request #15223 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
294 2019-02-07T19:18:55  <wumpus> e.g. if you're on windows and run everything as the same user anyhow then someone can just as well install a keylogger
295 2019-02-07T19:18:59  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: yes but almost all the time multiuser OSes are vulnerable to one priv esc vuln or another.
296 2019-02-07T19:19:05  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: not really, many things fail if they can't bind
297 2019-02-07T19:19:51  <luke-jr> (I haven't had any negative reports from the fix in Knots, maybe I should PR that)
298 2019-02-07T19:19:51  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: failing if you don't bind doesn't actually eliminate the vulnerablity here, just makes you more likely to notice (esp after you're screwed).
299 2019-02-07T19:20:24  <gmaxwell> (and 'more' but not by much)
300 2019-02-07T19:20:46  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: if you don't notice prior to the attack, at most they can get the walletpassphrase, which isn't a big problem if the wallet file is inaccessible
301 2019-02-07T19:20:50  <wumpus> using a unix socket would eliminate the vulnerability but I think we've been through this
302 2019-02-07T19:20:56  <gmaxwell> A real fix would be mutual auth and or using a unix domain socket.
303 2019-02-07T19:21:25  <luke-jr> (with a bind=>failure fix)
304 2019-02-07T19:21:52  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: I'm not sure most JSON-RPC libraries can support those
305 2019-02-07T19:22:00  <wumpus> which would be nice, but I don't think there's anything new to discuss in that regard, there's still the libevent server crap
306 2019-02-07T19:22:09  <wumpus> +http
307 2019-02-07T19:22:22  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: the way you'd do the attack is start a process that binds in a tight loop until it gets it. then when it gets it it listens for a walletpassphrase then shuts off.  What the user will is is that their daemon crashed, and they'll restart it before digging through the logs with almost certanty.
308 2019-02-07T19:22:28  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-02-07T19:22:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d83d6079432c...1933e38c1a08
310 2019-02-07T19:22:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5952838 Sjors Provoost: [rpc] util: add deriveaddresses method
311 2019-02-07T19:22:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1933e38 MeshCollider: Merge #14667: Add deriveaddresses RPC util method
312 2019-02-07T19:22:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
313 2019-02-07T19:22:40  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: indeed, which is another point that essentially everything off a privleged port is similarly 'vulnerable'.
314 2019-02-07T19:23:01  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2019-02-07T19:23:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider merged pull request #14667: Add deriveaddresses RPC util method (master...2018/11/deriveaddress) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14667
316 2019-02-07T19:23:05  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2019-02-07T19:23:25  <luke-jr> annoyingly, most OSs doesn't make it practical to reserve ports [privileged or otherwise] for specific users :/
318 2019-02-07T19:23:53  <luke-jr> anyway, main question is do we want to do some blog post alerting people to this? or just leave it at a doc/ probably nobody will notice?
319 2019-02-07T19:24:19  <wumpus> it's possible on linux with iptables IIRC buut I'm not sure we really want to go into that rabbit hole for documentation
320 2019-02-07T19:24:25  <gmaxwell> the blog post also won't be noticed, plus I'm concerned that its crying wolf -- increasing the profile of minutia.
321 2019-02-07T19:24:33  <wumpus> I'm also worried of that.
322 2019-02-07T19:24:45  <wumpus> most people will be able to do exactly nothing with this advisory
323 2019-02-07T19:24:48  <luke-jr> wumpus: it is?
324 2019-02-07T19:24:48  <gmaxwell> Like we don't have a blog post warning you about following links or whatever, which is a much greater risk to users than this.
325 2019-02-07T19:25:12  <wumpus> luke-jr: yes, there's a uid filter
326 2019-02-07T19:25:15  <luke-jr> okay, sounds like I should just close the PR then and leave it at that
327 2019-02-07T19:25:39  <wumpus> at least there was back in the day I was still interested in using user ids for separation instead of VMs
328 2019-02-07T19:25:41  <gmaxwell> If we really wanted a blog post ... maybe instead we should have a blog post about bitcoin wallet security best practices, and this port thing could be mentioned somewhere in it. that would make sense.  But alerting on this? I don't think so.
329 2019-02-07T19:25:42  <luke-jr> wumpus: but that can't block binding afaik? I guess if nobody can connect it's effectively the same..
330 2019-02-07T19:27:14  <wumpus> ok, any other topics?
331 2019-02-07T19:27:32  <sipa> short topic: descriptor checksums
332 2019-02-07T19:27:43  <wumpus> #topic Descriptor checksums (sipa)
333 2019-02-07T19:27:55  <sipa> so, this was discussed in the wallet meeting 1 or 2 weeks ago
334 2019-02-07T19:28:25  <sipa> the idea is that if descriptors are going to be used as import, and to generate addresses, we probably want to protect against typos (or due to length more commonly, copy-paste errors)
335 2019-02-07T19:28:37  <sipa> and things like keypaths and public keys are quite vulnerable to that
336 2019-02-07T19:28:55  <wumpus> makes sense
337 2019-02-07T19:29:00  <luke-jr> I think it might be annoying to have to calculate checksums if you enter a keypath by hand..?
338 2019-02-07T19:29:28  <jonasschnelli> it may be optional
339 2019-02-07T19:29:31  <sipa> i have a PR almost ready to add these (will submit today), but since deriveaddress was just merged, i think it would make sense to have these in 0.18 (as it'd otherwise an incompatible change later; scantxoutset doesn't really require checksums)
340 2019-02-07T19:29:33  <jtimon> oh, there's a wallet meeting?
341 2019-02-07T19:29:48  <luke-jr> jtimon: same time Friday, every other week
342 2019-02-07T19:29:56  <jtimon> thanks
343 2019-02-07T19:30:25  <sipa> i'm just bringing it up as a heads up here; obviously if review doesn't let us get it in 0.18, so be it
344 2019-02-07T19:30:41  <luke-jr> sipa: will they be optional?
345 2019-02-07T19:30:48  *** dqx has quit IRC
346 2019-02-07T19:30:53  <sipa> luke-jr: for RPCs where mistakes aren't critical, yes
347 2019-02-07T19:30:55  <wumpus> it is very last minute considering there's many other wallet PRs that are tagged 0.18, but sure it'd be nice
348 2019-02-07T19:30:56  *** Krellan_ has quit IRC
349 2019-02-07T19:30:58  <luke-jr> and can you (eg) have checksums on the keys, but not the paths?
350 2019-02-07T19:31:14  <sipa> no, you'd need a tool or RPC to recompute the checksum
351 2019-02-07T19:31:18  <luke-jr> :/
352 2019-02-07T19:31:34  <sipa> my thinking is that for most things where you're just "playing" with them, they're optional
353 2019-02-07T19:31:37  <achow101> luke-jr: keys would still be checksummed becaused of base58
354 2019-02-07T19:32:00  <meshcollider> sipa: how large of a PR is it?
355 2019-02-07T19:32:06  *** dqx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
356 2019-02-07T19:32:12  <sipa> meshcollider: not big, very localized
357 2019-02-07T19:32:22  <meshcollider> thats good, I think we could get it in then
358 2019-02-07T19:32:37  <wumpus> good, at least it won't interfere with the others then
359 2019-02-07T19:32:48  <sipa> but when importing (which isn't merged yet), the checksum would be mandatory (or there could be a flag to disable that, if people like that...)
360 2019-02-07T19:33:14  <meshcollider> is it based on #14491 then?
361 2019-02-07T19:33:16  <achow101> I think there should be a flag to make them optional
362 2019-02-07T19:33:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14491 | Allow descriptor imports with importmulti by MeshCollider · Pull Request #14491 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
363 2019-02-07T19:33:18  <jonasschnelli> skipping the checksum on RPC level is probably acceptable
364 2019-02-07T19:33:32  <sipa> meshcollider: no, but it'd be a one-line change to integrate
365 2019-02-07T19:33:45  <meshcollider> awesome
366 2019-02-07T19:33:47  <luke-jr> almost certainly the response to mandatory checksum will probably be to just calculate it :x
367 2019-02-07T19:33:59  <luke-jr> probably enough to just make sure if it is present and doesn't match, it fails
368 2019-02-07T19:34:10  <sipa> luke-jr: that's perhaps true... but it's the best we can do
369 2019-02-07T19:36:01  <sipa> end topic
370 2019-02-07T19:36:03  <gwillen> we should avoid ever creating / displaying one without a checksum ourselves
371 2019-02-07T19:36:35  <sipa> gwillen: yes, my PR adds the checksum in the text serialization code; it's optional just in the parser
372 2019-02-07T19:36:43  <gwillen> :+1:
373 2019-02-07T19:36:55  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2019-02-07T19:37:03  <sipa> (no point in discussing this here; will open the PR as soon as a few tests are fixed)
375 2019-02-07T19:37:35  <wumpus> more topics?
376 2019-02-07T19:37:50  <jl2012> hi
377 2019-02-07T19:38:02  <jonasschnelli> I have just a little reminder...
378 2019-02-07T19:38:09  <jl2012> #13360
379 2019-02-07T19:38:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13360 | [Policy] Reject SIGHASH_SINGLE with output out of bound by jl2012 · Pull Request #13360 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
380 2019-02-07T19:38:20  <jonasschnelli> we should finally add older wallet tests
381 2019-02-07T19:38:38  <jonasschnelli> with growing states (blank wallets, disable private key, hd non hd)
382 2019-02-07T19:38:59  <jonasschnelli> I mean function tests that test stuff with wallets from older bitcoin core versions
383 2019-02-07T19:39:11  <wumpus> #topic old wallet tests
384 2019-02-07T19:39:14  <jonasschnelli> Or we will certainly break stuff in the near future
385 2019-02-07T19:39:43  *** riemann_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
386 2019-02-07T19:39:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
387 2019-02-07T19:39:45  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15365: wallet: Add lock annotation for mapAddressBook (master...Mf1902-LockAnnotmapAddressBook) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15365
388 2019-02-07T19:39:48  <jonasschnelli> I think MarcoFalke once made an issue: #14536
389 2019-02-07T19:39:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
390 2019-02-07T19:39:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14536 | functional test with ancient wallet.dat (upgrade test) · Issue #14536 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
391 2019-02-07T19:40:08  *** riemann_ has quit IRC
392 2019-02-07T19:41:04  <jonasschnelli> So if someone is interested to write some tests against older wallets and eventually just use static older wallet files,.... your welcome
393 2019-02-07T19:41:38  <jonasschnelli> The other route would be compiling older Bitcoin Core versions and use that as base for file interoperability tests (including levelDb upgrades, etc.)
394 2019-02-07T19:41:48  *** shesek has quit IRC
395 2019-02-07T19:42:16  <jonasschnelli> sorry,... I meant chainstate database upgrade (not levelDB upgrades)
396 2019-02-07T19:42:21  <luke-jr> jonasschnelli: that complicates testing, which might be fine for extended tests, but I think wallet tests would be better as an "always run"
397 2019-02-07T19:42:30  <MarcoFalke> The wallet file could be added to https://github.com/bitcoin-core/qa-assets in case core-repo-bloat is a concern
398 2019-02-07T19:42:46  <jnewbery> Sjors has a PR for using older versions in testing: #12134
399 2019-02-07T19:42:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12134 | Build previous releases and run functional tests by Sjors · Pull Request #12134 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
400 2019-02-07T19:42:50  <luke-jr> I wouldn't think a simple old wallet would be that large
401 2019-02-07T19:43:02  <jonasschnelli> Probably,... but a couple of older wallet.dats in as test statics would not be completely wrong IMO
402 2019-02-07T19:43:27  <jnewbery> I think it's a nice idea, but the instability of the interfaces and testing framework means it'll be quite an effort to maintain going forward
403 2019-02-07T19:43:28  <luke-jr> I guess an ideal test would make an old wallet, load it in a new version, do stuff, then make sure the old version still works
404 2019-02-07T19:43:33  <luke-jr> but that's getting complex
405 2019-02-07T19:43:38  <jonasschnelli> I don't care where they are stored but we should finally add tests
406 2019-02-07T19:43:51  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
407 2019-02-07T19:44:16  <jnewbery> I think the idea of having old wallet files in the tests is more maintainable
408 2019-02-07T19:44:17  <jonasschnelli> luke-jr: thats another tests that would certenly required to compile older version of Core
409 2019-02-07T19:45:09  <wumpus> I'm not too happy with the idea of adding wallet.dat's to the repository
410 2019-02-07T19:45:11  *** watchtower has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
411 2019-02-07T19:45:30  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: seen my reply above?
412 2019-02-07T19:45:47  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: no I missed that, :+1: to that
413 2019-02-07T19:46:00  <jonasschnelli> wumpus: we could rename them to static.dump *duck*
414 2019-02-07T19:46:06  <gwillen> one could manually construct wallet.dats without keypool for testing, yeah? So they don't need to be very large?
415 2019-02-07T19:46:21  <gwillen> unless that itself would break or fail to test important stuff.
416 2019-02-07T19:46:22  <MarcoFalke> I don't think there is anything to discuss here. It just needs someone to create some wallet.dats and write the test
417 2019-02-07T19:46:33  <jonasschnelli> jup. agree
418 2019-02-07T19:46:37  <jtimon> since this is for testing, can't we just download older versions from https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases ?
419 2019-02-07T19:46:38  <wumpus> yes-
420 2019-02-07T19:46:46  <jonasschnelli> that's why I labeled it as "reminder".
421 2019-02-07T19:46:51  <MarcoFalke> heh
422 2019-02-07T19:46:53  <jonasschnelli> Create blank wallets will be merged soon
423 2019-02-07T19:47:03  <luke-jr> jonasschnelli: or have it available anyway
424 2019-02-07T19:47:27  <luke-jr> wumpus: what about Python maps of key/values that get shoved in a BDB db manually? :P
425 2019-02-07T19:47:44  <jonasschnelli> luke-jr: thats not authentic enough IMO
426 2019-02-07T19:48:24  <MarcoFalke> Jup, we really need a wallet.dat before every feature-bump in Bitcoin Core
427 2019-02-07T19:48:36  <jtimon> well, that would still be better than nothing, I guess
428 2019-02-07T19:49:45  <wumpus> any more topics?
429 2019-02-07T19:50:00  <jl2012> I'd like to have some concept ACK and review for #13360, which makes out-of-bound SIGHASH_SINGLE non-standard.
430 2019-02-07T19:50:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13360 | [Policy] Reject SIGHASH_SINGLE with output out of bound by jl2012 · Pull Request #13360 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
431 2019-02-07T19:50:16  <jl2012> this could become a softfork someday
432 2019-02-07T19:50:42  <wumpus> #topic out-of-bound SIGHASH_SINGLE (jl2012)
433 2019-02-07T19:50:46  <luke-jr> jl2012: ltns. What's the benefit though?
434 2019-02-07T19:51:27  <jl2012> luke-jr: to avoid losing money by accident
435 2019-02-07T19:51:55  <luke-jr> ah, so it's more for local sendrawtx than for relaying
436 2019-02-07T19:52:13  <jl2012> in legacy script, signing with out-of-bound SINGLE is almost like revealing your private key
437 2019-02-07T19:52:26  *** afk11 has quit IRC
438 2019-02-07T19:52:28  <luke-jr> (I'm not sure it makes sense to do a softfork for that reason though)
439 2019-02-07T19:52:34  <luke-jr> it's like absurd fee
440 2019-02-07T19:52:54  <jl2012> fee is a feature, but this thing is clearly a bug
441 2019-02-07T19:53:26  <luke-jr> jl2012: IIRC, it has been proposed to use it, in the past
442 2019-02-07T19:53:37  <wumpus> I'm also not sure it makes sense to do a softfork for this, if you're afraid of users doing this then it indeed makes sense to add it on submitrawtransaction
443 2019-02-07T19:54:05  <luke-jr> I believe the feature in that case, was that the signature was smaller than a normal one
444 2019-02-07T19:54:14  <luke-jr> (the goal was to clean dust UTXOs)
445 2019-02-07T19:54:36  <instagibbs> luke-jr, only example I knpw of :P https://underhandedcrypto.com/2016/08/17/the-2016-backdoored-cryptocurrency-contest-winner/
446 2019-02-07T19:54:39  <jl2012> how smaller? It's still 72 bytes or so
447 2019-02-07T19:54:55  <wumpus> I mean there's tons of ways to lose money with raw transactions, it is user friendly to try to protect this on RPC, but I'm not sure it merits changing the consensus rules... but that's just me
448 2019-02-07T19:54:56  <luke-jr> or maybe it was compressability? I'm not sure
449 2019-02-07T19:54:59  <jl2012> you can use SIGHASH_NONE for donating dust
450 2019-02-07T19:55:27  <luke-jr> wumpus: +1
451 2019-02-07T19:55:32  <gmaxwell> achow101: I don't think there should be a flag to make them optional, instead just have a command that adds/fixes them.
452 2019-02-07T19:56:03  <gmaxwell> achow101: so then you're not peppering every interface with a flag, and also don't run into people just setting the flag all the time "because thats how you do it"
453 2019-02-07T19:56:07  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: I think yuo had suggested some "privkey gets compromised" dust cleaning thing - was that this?
454 2019-02-07T19:56:50  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: sorry, missing the context
455 2019-02-07T19:57:02  <jl2012> luke-jr: I guess you mean that's cheaper to validate, as you don't need to hash it
456 2019-02-07T19:57:21  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: [19:50:00] <jl2012> I'd like to have some concept ACK and review for #13360, which makes out-of-bound SIGHASH_SINGLE non-standard.
457 2019-02-07T19:57:23  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13360 | [Policy] Reject SIGHASH_SINGLE with output out of bound by jl2012 · Pull Request #13360 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
458 2019-02-07T19:57:32  <jl2012> but using ANYONECANPAY|NONE would not be too bad
459 2019-02-07T19:57:33  <gmaxwell> I think we should get rid of sighash single, not to protect users (the UI does that), but because it's a constant hazard in consensus rules.
460 2019-02-07T19:58:10  <wumpus> get rid of SIGHASH_SINGLE completely?
461 2019-02-07T19:58:10  <gmaxwell> Twice now I've gone through some horror of thinking some interaction of consensus rules/ecdsa would make all funds trivially stealable but only to be saved by dumb luck.
462 2019-02-07T19:58:17  <gmaxwell> no, the bug.
463 2019-02-07T19:58:33  <gmaxwell> Single itself is fine, sorry-- but the single bug is a hazard.
464 2019-02-07T19:58:43  <gmaxwell> it's also not actually useful.
465 2019-02-07T19:58:45  <gmaxwell> Nor used.
466 2019-02-07T19:58:54  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: a few years ago, you had a way to reduce block space used in dust cleanup, but in a way that compromised the privkey - was that related to this?
467 2019-02-07T19:59:21  <gmaxwell> luke-jr: It just used a nonce with an usually small nonce. Using the single bug didn't make the txn any smaller.
468 2019-02-07T19:59:27  <luke-jr> k
469 2019-02-07T19:59:51  <gmaxwell> (though may have made them somewhat more gzippable, but not more compressable with a format aware compressor)
470 2019-02-07T20:00:40  <wumpus> #endmeeting
471 2019-02-07T20:00:40  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Feb  7 20:00:40 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
472 2019-02-07T20:00:40  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-07-19.01.html
473 2019-02-07T20:00:40  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-07-19.01.txt
474 2019-02-07T20:00:40  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-07-19.01.log.html
475 2019-02-07T20:01:10  <gwillen> achow101: friendly poke on #13932 :-)
476 2019-02-07T20:01:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13932 | Additional utility RPCs for PSBT by achow101 · Pull Request #13932 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
477 2019-02-07T20:01:22  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
478 2019-02-07T20:01:32  <luke-jr> anyway, sounds like the policy change is a clear concept ACK, and softfork is at least something to consider later
479 2019-02-07T20:01:44  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
480 2019-02-07T20:02:18  <gmaxwell> An example, of one of the times I went through some horror.  It's trivial to forge an ECDSA signature of the hash '0' with any pubkey...  I realized this when I was AFK and thought single signed 0 instead of 1...  if it did, every coin would have been stealable.
481 2019-02-07T20:03:03  <gmaxwell> also, I think we already 'ruled' on the single bug being useful or not-- we didn't keep it in segwit.
482 2019-02-07T20:03:12  <achow101> gwillen: what needs to be done on it?
483 2019-02-07T20:03:34  <jl2012> gmaxwell: well, it's still in segwit, just not in a replayable style
484 2019-02-07T20:03:36  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: saved by a bit ;)
485 2019-02-07T20:04:02  <jl2012> in BIP143, out-of-bound SINGLE is treated like NONE
486 2019-02-07T20:04:13  <gmaxwell> Right, it only signs that transaction.
487 2019-02-07T20:04:56  <gmaxwell> And if by some cosmic wtf someone comes up with some application for it, it could always be introduced in a new script version.
488 2019-02-07T20:05:07  <luke-jr> (yay script versions)
489 2019-02-07T20:06:20  <gwillen> achow101: I left a few comments but I'd consider them nits -- should I be poking reviewers instead?
490 2019-02-07T20:06:22  <gmaxwell> as far as concrete benefits beyond simplifying security analysis... it's one less case for a sighashcache to handle. (which I think was 95% of what caused it to come up)
491 2019-02-07T20:06:28  *** Murch has quit IRC
492 2019-02-07T20:06:33  <gwillen> achow101: or who do you think would ultimately be merging it?
493 2019-02-07T20:07:30  <achow101> gwillen: right now it's waiting on reviewers
494 2019-02-07T20:07:49  <achow101> i don't think there is much I can do
495 2019-02-07T20:07:56  *** watchtower has quit IRC
496 2019-02-07T20:08:15  <gwillen> ok, I guess I can hassle people to review at the wallet meeting tomorrow
497 2019-02-07T20:08:19  <gwillen> do take a look at my comments?
498 2019-02-07T20:08:23  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
499 2019-02-07T20:08:37  <achow101> sure
500 2019-02-07T20:08:38  <wumpus> probably a good idea!s
501 2019-02-07T20:10:44  <jl2012> gmaxwell: I don't think the SINGLE bug would affect sighash caching? If it is out-of-bound, it's always out-of-bound for the same input
502 2019-02-07T20:11:59  *** benthecarman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
503 2019-02-07T20:12:42  *** promag has quit IRC
504 2019-02-07T20:12:45  <kanzure> late hi
505 2019-02-07T20:13:09  <meshcollider> kanzure: you missed the whole meeting :p
506 2019-02-07T20:15:03  <kanzure> time zones..
507 2019-02-07T20:15:28  <gmaxwell> jl2012: right, but it's still an extra case to branch on that has to be tested.
508 2019-02-07T20:23:40  <jl2012> gmaxwell: the trick to make smaller signature is using R = G^0.5 ?
509 2019-02-07T20:24:16  *** jtimon has quit IRC
510 2019-02-07T20:25:33  <benthecarman> Hey, so I am making a PR to add an option to give the user the ability to have commands run after Bitcoin Core is finished starting up, the idea is so someone could have things like lnd or electrum-personal-server automatically run when Bitcoin Core starts.  Is this something desirable to add or could it be too unsafe?
511 2019-02-07T20:25:36  <gmaxwell> jl2012: yes, it makes r serialize 10 bytes smaller.
512 2019-02-07T20:25:39  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
513 2019-02-07T20:26:21  <jl2012> related discussion: https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/60420/what-does-the-special-form-of-the-base-point-of-secp256k1-allow
514 2019-02-07T20:26:25  <gmaxwell> benthecarman: that doesn't seem crazy (or at least not any more crazy than the 'notify' commands...  But why not just start lnd or eps at the same time-- presumably they'll just keep trying to reconnect, no?
515 2019-02-07T20:26:56  <jl2012> so G is clearly not a random choice. Who choose that and why?
516 2019-02-07T20:27:27  <jl2012> it seems not answered
517 2019-02-07T20:27:57  <benthecarman> gmaxwell: my thinking was that you don't need to add all those to your automatic startup or have to run anything extra and bitcoin core can set it up for you
518 2019-02-07T20:28:14  <sipa> jl2012: there is a very old bct thread about that, from someone who contacted certicom about the origins of the curve
519 2019-02-07T20:28:31  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
520 2019-02-07T20:29:07  <gmaxwell> jl2012: it's not, (AFAIK, I'm the one who discovered that it isn't...) but it's largely irrelevant. e.g. its trivial to prove that any 'weak' point makes all points weak.
521 2019-02-07T20:29:34  <gmaxwell> jl2012: I can tell you how I discovered it, which is suggestive as to how it might have been selected that way.
522 2019-02-07T20:31:11  *** hebasto has quit IRC
523 2019-02-07T20:34:34  <gmaxwell> jl2012: We had theorized that libsecp256k1's generator was was the output of some hash, but had no luck at finding a match (somee standards had hashes of the designers kids dates of birth or similar for choosing g)... In unrelated work on libsecp256k1 we wanted an easily generated NUMS point for blinding some operations in libsecp256k1... so like take a dumb string or a hash and treat it as a
524 2019-02-07T20:34:34  <gmaxwell> point.  Then it seemed useful to perform some operation on it to randomize the bits.  The only operation you can do with just a single point and nothing is double it... which does a pretty good job of making the resulting values look 'random'.
525 2019-02-07T20:35:10  <gmaxwell> jl2012: so I thought maybe the designer of this curve had taken a hash as a point and doubled it... so I havled G and found a surprisingly small value.
526 2019-02-07T20:36:21  <gmaxwell> FWIW secp224k1 uses the same constant.
527 2019-02-07T20:39:18  <jl2012> oh, btw, I have a related idea: in the new schnorr sig checking, if the signature size is 32 bytes, we check if it is the correct private key. This should be the cheapest way to donate dust
528 2019-02-07T20:41:06  <gmaxwell> I had that thought too, fwiw.-- during the above disussion, but ISTM it's such a corner case that I dunno if it's worth doing.
529 2019-02-07T20:45:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
530 2019-02-07T20:45:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] benthecarman opened pull request #15367:  feature: Added ability for users to add a startup command (master...startup_commands) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15367
531 2019-02-07T20:45:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
532 2019-02-07T20:45:37  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
533 2019-02-07T20:45:49  <jl2012> if we will have some kind of EC MATH opcodes in the future, there is probably not much marginal cost to support this
534 2019-02-07T20:47:12  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
535 2019-02-07T20:48:03  *** benthecarman has quit IRC
536 2019-02-07T20:49:30  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
537 2019-02-07T20:52:25  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
538 2019-02-07T20:52:25  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
539 2019-02-07T20:56:54  *** Murch has quit IRC
540 2019-02-07T20:57:29  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
541 2019-02-07T20:58:55  *** Emcy has quit IRC
542 2019-02-07T21:02:50  *** Murch has quit IRC
543 2019-02-07T21:03:17  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
544 2019-02-07T21:05:04  *** Emcy has quit IRC
545 2019-02-07T21:08:06  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
546 2019-02-07T21:08:10  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
547 2019-02-07T21:10:09  *** ap4lmtree has quit IRC
548 2019-02-07T21:25:09  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2019-02-07T21:27:23  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2019-02-07T21:30:28  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
551 2019-02-07T21:55:16  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
552 2019-02-07T21:57:47  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2019-02-07T22:02:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
554 2019-02-07T22:02:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 7 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/1933e38c1a08...9127bd7abaf8
555 2019-02-07T22:02:27  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a1b25e1 John Newbery: [wallet] Refactor ProcessImport()
556 2019-02-07T22:02:27  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4cac0dd John Newbery: [wallet] Add ProcessImportLegacy()
557 2019-02-07T22:02:28  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d2b381c John Newbery: [wallet] Refactor ProcessImport() to call ProcessImportLegacy()
558 2019-02-07T22:02:37  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2019-02-07T22:04:37  <instagibbs> \o/
560 2019-02-07T22:05:00  <instagibbs> Only a couple PRs away from running master again :P
561 2019-02-07T22:05:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2019-02-07T22:05:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #14491: Allow descriptor imports with importmulti (master...201810_importmulti_desc_2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14491
563 2019-02-07T22:05:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2019-02-07T22:05:37  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
565 2019-02-07T22:08:30  <achow101> \o/
566 2019-02-07T22:09:56  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2019-02-07T22:18:17  *** hyperion has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
568 2019-02-07T22:18:40  *** spinza has quit IRC
569 2019-02-07T22:19:27  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
570 2019-02-07T22:28:02  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2019-02-07T22:32:02  *** Murch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2019-02-07T22:36:23  *** ap4lmtree has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2019-02-07T22:40:30  *** jimmysong has quit IRC
574 2019-02-07T22:40:30  *** jimmysong__ has quit IRC
575 2019-02-07T22:44:46  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
576 2019-02-07T22:44:47  *** jimmysong_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
577 2019-02-07T23:05:12  *** promag has quit IRC
578 2019-02-07T23:07:36  *** TX1683 has quit IRC
579 2019-02-07T23:10:27  *** ddustin_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
580 2019-02-07T23:12:11  *** michaels_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
581 2019-02-07T23:12:41  *** kexkey has quit IRC
582 2019-02-07T23:12:53  *** michaels_ has quit IRC
583 2019-02-07T23:14:05  *** ddustin has quit IRC
584 2019-02-07T23:14:16  *** Cory has quit IRC
585 2019-02-07T23:16:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
586 2019-02-07T23:16:42  *** TX1683 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2019-02-07T23:16:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
588 2019-02-07T23:16:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #15368: Descriptor checksums (master...201902_descsum) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15368
589 2019-02-07T23:17:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
590 2019-02-07T23:17:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
591 2019-02-07T23:20:22  *** Pasha has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2019-02-07T23:23:33  *** Pasha is now known as Cory
593 2019-02-07T23:27:16  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2019-02-07T23:27:46  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2019-02-07T23:33:54  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
596 2019-02-07T23:40:06  *** Krellan has quit IRC
597 2019-02-07T23:47:22  *** bralyclo_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
598 2019-02-07T23:50:47  *** bralyclow has quit IRC