1 2019-02-28T00:05:18  *** TheRec has quit IRC
  2 2019-02-28T00:10:04  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-02-28T00:12:07  *** Dean_Guss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-02-28T00:19:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2019-02-28T00:19:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-02-28T00:20:59  *** ossifrage has quit IRC
  7 2019-02-28T00:24:10  *** cluelessperson has quit IRC
  8 2019-02-28T00:25:49  *** ossifrage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2019-02-28T00:33:18  *** wannabecoder has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-02-28T00:33:57  <wannabecoder> hello, i am new to coding in bitcoin. I literally can't figure anything out.
 11 2019-02-28T00:35:08  *** TheRec has quit IRC
 12 2019-02-28T00:35:46  <wannabecoder> I am given an assignment to create a transaction to deposit 0.01 btc to a 2 of 3 multisig script. I have the public keys of three addresses and private keys of three. I have installed Bitcoin Core and configured it to a testnet. question 1: where do i write the code?
 13 2019-02-28T00:36:03  <wannabecoder> question 2: is there a language in which the code is written?
 14 2019-02-28T00:36:31  <sipa> 1) you don't; you invoke RPCs to accomplish it
 15 2019-02-28T00:36:32  <sipa> 2) C++
 16 2019-02-28T00:36:46  <sipa> this probably belongs on #bitcoin
 17 2019-02-28T00:37:08  <wannabecoder> oh so the RPC's are written in the console in the bitcoin core app?
 18 2019-02-28T00:37:14  <wannabecoder> oh i am so sorry, thanks though
 19 2019-02-28T00:37:28  <sipa> in bitcoin-qt you can type RPC commands in the console, yes
 20 2019-02-28T00:37:39  <sipa> you can also use bitcoin-cli to send commands to a running bitcoind process
 21 2019-02-28T00:38:56  <wannabecoder> oh okay. thanks a ton.
 22 2019-02-28T00:39:49  *** wannabecoder has quit IRC
 23 2019-02-28T00:59:29  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-02-28T00:59:29  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-02-28T01:00:42  <promag_> sounds more "i am new to coding"
 26 2019-02-28T01:10:51  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 27 2019-02-28T01:10:58  *** promag_ has quit IRC
 28 2019-02-28T01:11:49  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-02-28T01:12:55  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 30 2019-02-28T01:16:59  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 31 2019-02-28T01:22:00  *** StopAndDecrypt_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-02-28T01:22:57  *** StopAndDecrypt has quit IRC
 33 2019-02-28T01:27:32  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 34 2019-02-28T01:28:09  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-02-28T01:32:50  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 36 2019-02-28T01:53:05  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-02-28T01:57:32  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 38 2019-02-28T02:00:16  *** jarthur has quit IRC
 39 2019-02-28T02:20:26  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 40 2019-02-28T02:30:21  *** harrymm has quit IRC
 41 2019-02-28T02:32:57  <gwillen> achow101: (et al): I need to pull analyzepsbt out of rpc into a more generic useful place
 42 2019-02-28T02:33:06  <gwillen> this is a little awkward because of the pervasive use of UniValue throughout
 43 2019-02-28T02:33:33  <gwillen> does it make sense to allow UniValue to be the official interface of this feature, or do I need to like, devise a PSBTAnalysis struct to use instead
 44 2019-02-28T02:33:36  <gwillen> probably the latter?
 45 2019-02-28T02:34:49  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-02-28T02:36:21  *** harrymm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-02-28T02:39:07  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 48 2019-02-28T02:41:03  <sipa> gwillen: is the latter a lot of work?
 49 2019-02-28T02:41:36  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-02-28T02:42:34  <sipa> i would certainly prefer UniValue to not be used outside of the RPC code
 51 2019-02-28T02:59:43  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 52 2019-02-28T03:00:53  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-02-28T03:02:47  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 54 2019-02-28T03:07:02  <achow101> gwillen: i agree with sipa
 55 2019-02-28T03:07:07  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-02-28T03:10:13  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 57 2019-02-28T03:11:22  *** achow101 has quit IRC
 58 2019-02-28T03:12:45  *** achow101 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2019-02-28T03:18:16  *** cluelessperson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-02-28T03:19:55  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-02-28T03:56:51  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 62 2019-02-28T03:59:24  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2019-02-28T04:13:36  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-02-28T04:15:38  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 65 2019-02-28T04:35:45  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-02-28T04:39:25  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 67 2019-02-28T04:40:28  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 68 2019-02-28T04:42:33  *** spinza has quit IRC
 69 2019-02-28T04:55:08  *** TWE76fYU has quit IRC
 70 2019-02-28T04:55:25  *** TWE76fYU has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-02-28T05:03:04  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2019-02-28T05:33:03  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-02-28T05:42:01  <gwillen> achow101: sipa: I expect it's probably not a lot of work
 74 2019-02-28T05:42:10  <gwillen> so I will aim that way and see where I get
 75 2019-02-28T05:42:53  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 76 2019-02-28T05:43:26  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-02-28T05:44:12  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
 78 2019-02-28T05:55:31  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2019-02-28T06:33:47  *** Cory has quit IRC
 80 2019-02-28T06:36:47  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2019-02-28T06:38:03  *** medive has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2019-02-28T06:40:45  *** Cory has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-02-28T06:41:17  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 84 2019-02-28T06:50:58  *** medive has quit IRC
 85 2019-02-28T06:52:37  *** Cory has quit IRC
 86 2019-02-28T06:52:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2019-02-28T06:52:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] murrayn opened pull request #15500: Support for a bitcoind 'ready' file to indicate startup is complete. (master...ready_file) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15500
 88 2019-02-28T06:52:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2019-02-28T06:59:48  *** Cory has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-02-28T07:00:48  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2019-02-28T07:06:08  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 92 2019-02-28T07:06:56  *** Soligor has quit IRC
 93 2019-02-28T07:12:33  <wumpus> sipa | i would certainly prefer UniValue to not be used outside of the RPC code <- fully agree
 94 2019-02-28T07:13:35  <wumpus> e.g., in the c++ part use c++ structures, not mock-javascript, only use univalue for the front-end
 95 2019-02-28T07:15:43  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
 96 2019-02-28T07:16:31  *** TheRec has quit IRC
 97 2019-02-28T07:22:06  *** brianhoffman_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2019-02-28T07:23:24  *** brianhoffman has quit IRC
 99 2019-02-28T07:23:24  *** brianhoffman_ is now known as brianhoffman
100 2019-02-28T07:24:26  *** StopAndDecrypt_ has quit IRC
101 2019-02-28T07:54:24  *** Soligor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-02-28T08:10:35  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
103 2019-02-28T08:47:00  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2019-02-28T08:53:59  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2019-02-28T09:00:06  *** morcos has quit IRC
106 2019-02-28T09:00:22  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2019-02-28T09:05:23  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2019-02-28T09:06:30  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2019-02-28T09:06:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] luke-jr closed pull request #15428: [WIP] GUI: Add Pairing tab with Tor onion address as copyable text and QR code (master...tor_gui_pairing) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15428
110 2019-02-28T09:06:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2019-02-28T09:08:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-02-28T09:08:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] murrayn opened pull request #15501: Formatting changes to --help code for increased readability. (master...help_formatting) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15501
113 2019-02-28T09:08:46  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2019-02-28T09:13:16  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2019-02-28T09:20:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2019-02-28T09:20:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #15501: Formatting changes to --help code for increased readability. (master...help_formatting) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15501
117 2019-02-28T09:20:37  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2019-02-28T09:20:45  *** siom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2019-02-28T09:22:54  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2019-02-28T09:24:55  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-02-28T09:27:11  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2019-02-28T09:31:54  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2019-02-28T09:36:02  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-02-28T09:36:42  *** schmidty has quit IRC
125 2019-02-28T09:36:45  *** timothy has quit IRC
126 2019-02-28T09:44:06  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-02-28T09:46:19  *** promag_ has quit IRC
128 2019-02-28T09:48:35  *** schmidty has quit IRC
129 2019-02-28T09:49:20  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2019-02-28T09:51:52  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-02-28T09:51:52  *** Squidicc has quit IRC
132 2019-02-28T09:55:08  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2019-02-28T10:46:06  *** spinza has quit IRC
134 2019-02-28T10:59:52  *** Cory has quit IRC
135 2019-02-28T11:06:20  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
136 2019-02-28T11:06:52  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-02-28T11:07:35  *** Cory has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2019-02-28T11:11:20  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
139 2019-02-28T11:25:03  *** Dean_Guss has quit IRC
140 2019-02-28T11:25:38  *** Dean_Guss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2019-02-28T11:28:28  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2019-02-28T11:38:17  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-02-28T11:42:27  *** promag_ has quit IRC
144 2019-02-28T11:44:53  *** mmgen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-02-28T11:47:49  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-02-28T11:48:36  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-02-28T11:48:36  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2019-02-28T12:41:16  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-02-28T12:53:33  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2019-02-28T12:58:29  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-02-28T13:01:49  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
152 2019-02-28T13:07:47  *** promag_ has quit IRC
153 2019-02-28T13:14:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-02-28T13:18:10  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
155 2019-02-28T13:21:57  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2019-02-28T13:39:36  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2019-02-28T13:43:55  *** promag_ has quit IRC
158 2019-02-28T14:03:00  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-02-28T14:04:10  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
160 2019-02-28T14:12:43  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-02-28T14:12:50  *** booyah has quit IRC
162 2019-02-28T14:14:00  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-02-28T14:20:18  *** siom has quit IRC
164 2019-02-28T14:20:19  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2019-02-28T14:20:58  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
166 2019-02-28T14:21:14  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2019-02-28T14:25:31  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
168 2019-02-28T14:30:42  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2019-02-28T14:31:03  *** fanquake has quit IRC
170 2019-02-28T14:33:34  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
171 2019-02-28T14:35:05  *** sipa has quit IRC
172 2019-02-28T14:38:24  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2019-02-28T14:38:24  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-02-28T14:39:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-02-28T14:39:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a0d4e79b4dbb...20268c6d767b
176 2019-02-28T14:39:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa466cb MarcoFalke: doc: Update release process for snap package
177 2019-02-28T14:39:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 20268c6 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15489: doc: Update release process for snap package
178 2019-02-28T14:39:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-02-28T14:40:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-02-28T14:40:20  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15489: doc: Update release process for snap package (master...1902-docSnap) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15489
181 2019-02-28T14:40:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-02-28T14:41:43  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2019-02-28T14:50:50  *** schmidty has quit IRC
184 2019-02-28T14:51:15  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-02-28T14:51:51  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-02-28T14:53:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-02-28T14:53:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ajtowns opened pull request #15502: Speed up initial connection to p2p network (master...201902-trytoavoiddns) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15502
188 2019-02-28T14:53:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2019-02-28T14:56:07  *** schmidty has quit IRC
190 2019-02-28T14:58:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-02-28T14:58:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors closed pull request #15496: [rpc] deriveaddress: rename range 'begin' argument to 'start' (master...2019/02/begin_start) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15496
192 2019-02-28T14:58:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2019-02-28T15:14:59  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
194 2019-02-28T15:15:34  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2019-02-28T15:18:05  *** zhangzf_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2019-02-28T15:18:10  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
197 2019-02-28T15:21:27  *** shesek has quit IRC
198 2019-02-28T15:21:34  *** mmgen has quit IRC
199 2019-02-28T15:22:01  *** mmgen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2019-02-28T15:22:23  *** setpill has quit IRC
201 2019-02-28T15:33:53  *** promag_ has quit IRC
202 2019-02-28T15:35:45  *** tryphe has quit IRC
203 2019-02-28T15:36:12  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-02-28T15:41:19  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-02-28T15:41:55  *** schmidty has quit IRC
206 2019-02-28T15:42:07  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-02-28T15:42:07  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2019-02-28T15:48:09  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-02-28T16:28:39  *** volkov has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-02-28T16:30:54  *** volkov has quit IRC
211 2019-02-28T16:32:55  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2019-02-28T16:40:55  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-02-28T16:40:55  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2019-02-28T17:00:11  *** captjakk has quit IRC
215 2019-02-28T17:00:48  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2019-02-28T17:01:07  *** darosior has quit IRC
217 2019-02-28T17:02:43  *** captjakk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2019-02-28T17:03:06  *** captjakk has quit IRC
219 2019-02-28T17:09:05  *** ExtraCrispy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2019-02-28T17:10:27  *** zhangzf_ has quit IRC
221 2019-02-28T17:13:10  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
222 2019-02-28T17:22:19  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2019-02-28T17:31:58  *** zivl has quit IRC
224 2019-02-28T17:39:30  *** darosior has quit IRC
225 2019-02-28T17:40:33  *** zivl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2019-02-28T18:06:05  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2019-02-28T18:06:29  *** jungly has quit IRC
228 2019-02-28T18:09:36  *** hebasto has quit IRC
229 2019-02-28T18:12:34  *** dermoth has quit IRC
230 2019-02-28T18:12:59  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2019-02-28T18:14:16  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
232 2019-02-28T18:16:07  *** promag_ has quit IRC
233 2019-02-28T18:25:06  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
234 2019-02-28T18:25:15  *** queip has quit IRC
235 2019-02-28T18:31:43  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2019-02-28T18:44:10  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2019-02-28T18:48:11  *** Zenton has quit IRC
238 2019-02-28T18:48:30  *** promag_ has quit IRC
239 2019-02-28T18:54:52  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
240 2019-02-28T18:59:13  *** rabidus has quit IRC
241 2019-02-28T19:00:15  <wumpus> #startmeeting
242 2019-02-28T19:00:15  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Feb 28 19:00:15 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
243 2019-02-28T19:00:15  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
244 2019-02-28T19:00:22  <sipa> hi
245 2019-02-28T19:00:23  <kanzure> hi
246 2019-02-28T19:00:25  <achow101> hi
247 2019-02-28T19:00:43  <provoostenator> hi
248 2019-02-28T19:01:08  *** rabidus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2019-02-28T19:01:12  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
250 2019-02-28T19:01:19  <jonasschnelli> hi
251 2019-02-28T19:01:42  <wumpus> PSA: tomorrow the 0.18 split-off is planned
252 2019-02-28T19:01:58  <kanzure> bitcoin-dev mailing list has been having issues and it's broken
253 2019-02-28T19:02:13  <kanzure> i have escalated to warren who knows linux foundation people but apparently they don't believe in email anymore
254 2019-02-28T19:02:27  <jonasschnelli> hmm...
255 2019-02-28T19:02:35  <instagibbs> hi
256 2019-02-28T19:02:57  <sipa> kanzure: no eta for a fix?
257 2019-02-28T19:03:11  <wumpus> email has been dead for a while just not everyone has noticed yet
258 2019-02-28T19:03:19  <kanzure> no eta for fix
259 2019-02-28T19:03:29  <kanzure> i don't know anyone at linux foundation and i don't know who maintains this on their end
260 2019-02-28T19:03:30  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2019-02-28T19:03:41  <achow101> kanzure: any alternatives that we can move to?
262 2019-02-28T19:03:50  <kanzure> nothing good....
263 2019-02-28T19:03:59  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-02-28T19:03:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 opened pull request #15503: msvc: Use a single file to specify the include path (master...msvc-include-fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15503
265 2019-02-28T19:04:00  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2019-02-28T19:04:04  <wumpus> #topic bitcoin-dev mailing list
267 2019-02-28T19:04:16  <kanzure> groups.io isn't that nice in my opinion; i don't think we would like it as a group.
268 2019-02-28T19:04:17  <jonasschnelli> would self-hosted be an option or would that be to "centralized"?
269 2019-02-28T19:04:22  <jonasschnelli> Could do it over an association
270 2019-02-28T19:04:27  <jnewbery> hi
271 2019-02-28T19:04:28  <kanzure> self-hosted would be fine but someone would have to maintain it and fix email delivery problems etc
272 2019-02-28T19:04:32  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-02-28T19:05:21  <jonasschnelli> I can look into possible options/strategy for a self-hostes (eventually semi) option... in case LF list falls appart
274 2019-02-28T19:05:28  <jonasschnelli> *hosted
275 2019-02-28T19:05:34  <kanzure> that would be helpful thank you
276 2019-02-28T19:05:49  <gwillen> kanzure: if you can summarize quickly, what sort of issues does groups.io face?
277 2019-02-28T19:06:00  <jonasschnelli> I have a bunch of RPi laying around and a 512kb connection... *duck*
278 2019-02-28T19:06:06  <kanzure> gwillen: sort of forces you into a web browser environment
279 2019-02-28T19:06:07  *** harding has quit IRC
280 2019-02-28T19:06:26  <gwillen> hmm, really?
281 2019-02-28T19:06:30  <jonasschnelli> I propose to keep the UX (mailman)
282 2019-02-28T19:06:36  <wumpus> or maybe it's time to move to something else than a mailing list
283 2019-02-28T19:06:52  <promag_> hi
284 2019-02-28T19:07:07  <jonasschnelli> If there would just be a decentralied IM service
285 2019-02-28T19:07:22  <sipa> it's a bit unfortunate that this discussion is held here, but the place it should be held (the ML...) isn't really an option
286 2019-02-28T19:07:26  *** spinza has quit IRC
287 2019-02-28T19:07:31  <gwillen> ensuring deliverability in a self-hosted setup is going to be a chalenge, the world of email has gotten increasingly hostile
288 2019-02-28T19:07:41  <wumpus> gwillen: yea... it's dead alright
289 2019-02-28T19:07:51  <wumpus> email is owned by google now
290 2019-02-28T19:07:54  <jonasschnelli> Indeed... thanks to the big players
291 2019-02-28T19:08:15  <gwillen> I host my own email but I smarthost through a gmail account outbound
292 2019-02-28T19:08:16  <provoostenator> Well, mostly thanks to the spammers I think.
293 2019-02-28T19:08:24  <wumpus> might as well just run a discourse forum and have all the usability advantages
294 2019-02-28T19:08:26  <jonasschnelli> would bring it to github (different organization) be an option?
295 2019-02-28T19:08:32  <gmaxwell> provoostenator: there is enough blame to go around. :)
296 2019-02-28T19:08:33  *** harding has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2019-02-28T19:08:55  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
298 2019-02-28T19:09:11  <wumpus> I don't think blame is the point of discussion here anyway, how do we move on ?
299 2019-02-28T19:09:12  <gmaxwell> not going to solve this in this meeting, I suspect!
300 2019-02-28T19:09:31  <wumpus> true
301 2019-02-28T19:09:33  <gmaxwell> I also would like it to stay mailman.
302 2019-02-28T19:09:38  <gmaxwell> (or similar)
303 2019-02-28T19:09:55  <provoostenator> A publicly readable forum seems like a reasonable solution, but chat seems terrible. Both because it's distraction and because I want to be able to respond to stuff said months ago, so it needs threads.
304 2019-02-28T19:09:56  <gmaxwell> I guess someone needs to try to find out if its coming back or if we really do need to find an alternative.
305 2019-02-28T19:10:06  <kanzure> we can try groups.io some more, we have a test group and we can just add a few more people to the test and see what people think
306 2019-02-28T19:10:12  <achow101> go back to bitcointalk *ducks*
307 2019-02-28T19:10:21  <gmaxwell> achow101: damn I was just about to make that comment!
308 2019-02-28T19:10:31  <kanzure> #action message kanzure if you want to be added to the groups.io test group
309 2019-02-28T19:10:33  <gwillen> kanzure: can you add me to the test group
310 2019-02-28T19:10:51  <gmaxwell> I'm really not excited about groups.io.
311 2019-02-28T19:11:07  <kanzure> email should get everyone excited!
312 2019-02-28T19:11:30  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: supposedly mailman is unmaintained and broken-ish, according to LF?
313 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <jonasschnelli> self hosted mailman seems superior to groups.io
314 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <gwillen> self-hosted mailman requires someone to become an email server administrator
315 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <gwillen> that is an _extremely_ unfun volunteer job
316 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <jonasschnelli> Yes.
317 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <wumpus> self-hosted by whom ? who's going to babysit this
318 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <kanzure> can we pay someone to do work?
319 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <wumpus> heh.
320 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <jonasschnelli> But I self-host my email since a couple of years and it's possibble
321 2019-02-28T19:12:38  <luke-jr> I already do maintain my own email server, but from the sound of it, ML makes it much harder
322 2019-02-28T19:12:53  <gmaxwell> biggest problem with hosting email these days is that everyone randomly blocks you.
323 2019-02-28T19:12:55  <gwillen> jonasschnelli: do you do your own outbound mail? No deliverability problems to gmail users, no dnsbl issues?
324 2019-02-28T19:13:13  <jonasschnelli> gwillen: I do
325 2019-02-28T19:13:18  <jonasschnelli> No problems
326 2019-02-28T19:13:19  <gwillen> hm, very good
327 2019-02-28T19:13:23  <wumpus> right-personal email is easier, though still not trivial; less traffic, and the only person to complain when messages don't arrive is yourself
328 2019-02-28T19:13:31  <gwillen> I'm glad it's still possible
329 2019-02-28T19:14:07  <jonasschnelli> But with ML the spamlist (dnsbl, etc.) become more of a problem..
330 2019-02-28T19:14:09  <wumpus> I used to run my own email server, but gave up when gmail blackholed my last vps host
331 2019-02-28T19:14:15  <jonasschnelli> But better to manage that than no ML at all
332 2019-02-28T19:14:41  <jonasschnelli> 3-4 IPv4 addresses to switch over to makes it more robust...
333 2019-02-28T19:15:01  <kanzure> we could just put text files in a git repository
334 2019-02-28T19:15:10  <wumpus> if you're going through that trouble might as well pay some service to do it
335 2019-02-28T19:15:14  *** promag_ has quit IRC
336 2019-02-28T19:15:24  <gmaxwell> I also don't think we mind too much if the ML suffers a little from users own servers blacklisting it. There are public archives.
337 2019-02-28T19:15:25  <jonasschnelli> There are also managed mailman hosting
338 2019-02-28T19:15:41  <provoostenator> I think a paid professional service is fine, as long as the archives are public and we have a way of detecting censorship.
339 2019-02-28T19:15:41  <kanzure> someone does managed mailman hosting services?
340 2019-02-28T19:15:53  <gmaxwell> Can we please just get a definitive from LF before we sink tons of effort into this?
341 2019-02-28T19:16:08  <kanzure> linux foundation has consistently said they are killing this
342 2019-02-28T19:16:11  <kanzure> according to warren
343 2019-02-28T19:16:18  <jonasschnelli> Agree with gmaxwell... (before continue this discussion)
344 2019-02-28T19:16:26  <gmaxwell> Can we please not filter everything through warren?
345 2019-02-28T19:16:35  <wumpus> well LF's moderation has been offline for quite some time now, I don't think it's coming back tbh, especially as they've already warned months before that this was going to end
346 2019-02-28T19:16:50  <kanzure> i'd be happy to get in contact with someone at linux foundation myself if i knew who to pester
347 2019-02-28T19:16:50  <gmaxwell> How are the linux kernel lists and such running?
348 2019-02-28T19:17:08  <kanzure> let's ask rusty, he's the resident kernel hacker
349 2019-02-28T19:17:11  <jonasschnelli> If you are having trouble using the lists, please contact mailman@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
350 2019-02-28T19:17:17  <jonasschnelli> (from https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo)
351 2019-02-28T19:17:29  <kanzure> admindb is returning "503 first byte timeout"
352 2019-02-28T19:18:25  <wumpus> can't we pretend that bitcoind is a gpu driver and get a freedesktop list ...
353 2019-02-28T19:18:32  <MarcoFalke> I think we should have moved off the list when it was still working. Now there is no way to notify subscribers that it will move to a different place
354 2019-02-28T19:18:34  <sipa> wumpus: a few years too late :p
355 2019-02-28T19:18:43  <wumpus> sipa: hehe
356 2019-02-28T19:19:09  <sipa> MarcoFalke: but who would have expectes it to break like this, with solution in sight, with no warning?
357 2019-02-28T19:19:27  <MarcoFalke> They warned us months ago, multiple times. No?
358 2019-02-28T19:19:40  <wumpus> they warned
359 2019-02-28T19:19:46  <kanzure> they warned
360 2019-02-28T19:19:49  <provoostenator> That's what kazure claims warren says.
361 2019-02-28T19:20:06  <gmaxwell> I only ever heard warren saying stuff and it didn't sound credible.
362 2019-02-28T19:20:07  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
363 2019-02-28T19:20:07  <kanzure> that's what i claim provoostenator says i claim warren claims
364 2019-02-28T19:20:25  <gmaxwell> (e.g. it was mixed up in mania about jeff garzik being on their board)
365 2019-02-28T19:20:29  <kanzure> i have emailed mailman@lists.linuxfoundation.org as of a few moments ago
366 2019-02-28T19:20:30  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
367 2019-02-28T19:21:37  <MarcoFalke> What was the reason against a google group?
368 2019-02-28T19:21:42  <MarcoFalke> At least it would be reliable
369 2019-02-28T19:21:56  <wumpus> oh noo
370 2019-02-28T19:21:57  <jonasschnelli> help killing email further?
371 2019-02-28T19:22:04  <gmaxwell> I won't use it.
372 2019-02-28T19:22:04  <kanzure> i don't think they intend to support google groups forever
373 2019-02-28T19:22:08  <provoostenator> Google tends to shut down useful services with crazy short notice.
374 2019-02-28T19:22:22  <wumpus> I'd so prefer a self-hosted discourse forum to that
375 2019-02-28T19:22:41  <kanzure> anyway, we're still testing groups.io so others should feel free to email warrentest@groups.io
376 2019-02-28T19:22:42  <wumpus> at least it doesn't require a google account
377 2019-02-28T19:22:43  <jonasschnelli> you mean bitcointalk.org? :/
378 2019-02-28T19:22:50  <luke-jr> btw, re linux kernel ML - it's not hosted by LF it looks like
379 2019-02-28T19:22:54  <kanzure> any help in reaching linux foundation would be appreciated by me
380 2019-02-28T19:22:58  <sipa> also don't forget that it needs to be acceptable to a lot of pelple who aren't here
381 2019-02-28T19:23:03  <kanzure> and someone should ask rusty about lkml
382 2019-02-28T19:23:09  <luke-jr> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
383 2019-02-28T19:23:16  <wumpus> to be honest
384 2019-02-28T19:23:19  <BlueMatt> yea, can we get something on vger.kernel.org?
385 2019-02-28T19:23:19  <kanzure> majordomo, isn't that older than me?
386 2019-02-28T19:23:22  <wumpus> this isn't a *bitcoin core* topic at all
387 2019-02-28T19:23:24  <BlueMatt> that seems to be where everything else is
388 2019-02-28T19:23:30  <sipa> wumpus: that's my point
389 2019-02-28T19:23:36  <wumpus> this is about bitcoin protocol discussion
390 2019-02-28T19:23:45  <BlueMatt> ok, -> #bitcoin-dev
391 2019-02-28T19:23:55  <gmaxwell> oh god useless zombie channel
392 2019-02-28T19:24:00  <wumpus> and it shoudl be organized separately
393 2019-02-28T19:24:01  <gmaxwell> the intetnet is busted. so sad.
394 2019-02-28T19:24:04  <provoostenator> We could revive Usenet.
395 2019-02-28T19:24:04  <kanzure> okay thanks for tolerating the topic for a few minutes; i'll keep you updated.
396 2019-02-28T19:24:15  <gmaxwell> Lets all just email kanzure from now on and he can forward to everyone? :P
397 2019-02-28T19:24:22  <BlueMatt> gmaxwell: ack
398 2019-02-28T19:24:30  <kanzure> i sort of already do that so... yes.
399 2019-02-28T19:24:38  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
400 2019-02-28T19:24:38  <jonasschnelli> heh.. the real "mailman"
401 2019-02-28T19:24:42  <BlueMatt> please send mail via github pr to bitcoin.ninja
402 2019-02-28T19:25:01  <wumpus> do we have anything else to discuss?
403 2019-02-28T19:25:13  <kanzure> how about actual bitcoin core things?
404 2019-02-28T19:25:28  <gmaxwell> http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2305  kanzure: a transistional superintelligence.
405 2019-02-28T19:25:40  <sipa> 0.18 split off tomorrow... any 0.18 things left to discuss?
406 2019-02-28T19:26:13  <instagibbs> "yay"
407 2019-02-28T19:26:22  <gmaxwell> there are 0.18 tagged things that need review.
408 2019-02-28T19:26:35  <wumpus> gmaxwell: heh
409 2019-02-28T19:26:49  <MarcoFalke> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/35
410 2019-02-28T19:27:01  <provoostenator> In particular #15486 is very new.
411 2019-02-28T19:27:01  <sipa> they can go in after fork off of coirse
412 2019-02-28T19:27:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15486 | [net] Allow feeler connections to go to the same netgroup as existing outbound peers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #15486 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
413 2019-02-28T19:27:09  <wumpus> #15497 #15486 #15402
414 2019-02-28T19:27:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15497 | Consistent range arguments in scantxoutset/importmulti/deriveaddresses by sipa · Pull Request #15497 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
415 2019-02-28T19:27:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15486 | [net] Allow feeler connections to go to the same netgroup as existing outbound peers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #15486 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
416 2019-02-28T19:27:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15402 | Granular invalidateblock and RewindBlockIndex by sipa · Pull Request #15402 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
417 2019-02-28T19:27:29  <gmaxwell> Otherwise, I don't think there is anything to say?
418 2019-02-28T19:28:33  <wumpus> sure, things can be backported after the 0.18 fork, but that's intended for last-minute bugfixes and such we don't know about yet
419 2019-02-28T19:28:45  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
420 2019-02-28T19:28:59  <wumpus> the idea is that everything tagged 0.18 is merged before the fork
421 2019-02-28T19:29:07  <sipa> aight
422 2019-02-28T19:29:24  <wumpus> so, please help review ^^
423 2019-02-28T19:30:11  <wumpus> I think the hardest to review is the P2P one by sdaftuar
424 2019-02-28T19:30:48  <wumpus> cfields_ if you're there please take a look at it ^^
425 2019-02-28T19:31:38  <provoostenator> sdaftuar: for easier review the PR description, or comment, could use a crash course in what feeler connections are and such.
426 2019-02-28T19:32:14  <wumpus> not that sipa's are trivial
427 2019-02-28T19:32:14  <provoostenator> I think I vaguely understand what's going on based on the back and forth discussion though.
428 2019-02-28T19:32:30  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
429 2019-02-28T19:32:57  <sipa> provoostenator: #8282
430 2019-02-28T19:33:01  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8282 | net: Feeler connections to increase online addrs in the tried table. by EthanHeilman · Pull Request #8282 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
431 2019-02-28T19:33:02  <gmaxwell> provoostenator: best source is PR 8282.
432 2019-02-28T19:33:26  <provoostenator> Thanks, will give that a read and then review tommorrow.
433 2019-02-28T19:33:28  <gmaxwell> Also, in particuarly, the stuff being changed here is try before evict which IIRC was a different PR.
434 2019-02-28T19:33:37  <sdaftuar>  #9037
435 2019-02-28T19:33:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9037 | net: Add test-before-evict discipline to addrman by EthanHeilman · Pull Request #9037 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
436 2019-02-28T19:33:53  <gmaxwell> Thanks.
437 2019-02-28T19:34:00  <sipa> #6355 and 9037
438 2019-02-28T19:34:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/6355 | Added test-before-evict discipline in Addrman, feeler connections. by EthanHeilman · Pull Request #6355 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
439 2019-02-28T19:35:26  <wumpus> yes if you have any questions about it, just ask
440 2019-02-28T19:35:32  <wumpus> any other topics?
441 2019-02-28T19:36:00  <jnewbery> is there a wallet meeting tomorrow? We postponed last week's
442 2019-02-28T19:36:23  <sipa> do we have meshcollider?
443 2019-02-28T19:36:25  <wumpus> good question; meshcollider, jonasschnelli ?
444 2019-02-28T19:36:45  <achow101> I thought we were just skipping last week's
445 2019-02-28T19:36:45  <jnewbery> It's it up for vote, I vote yes please
446 2019-02-28T19:36:50  <jonasschnelli> I think I never participated on one of those meetings (shame on me)
447 2019-02-28T19:37:04  <wumpus> if you have pressing wallet topics to discuss we should have a wallet meeting
448 2019-02-28T19:37:21  <gmaxwell> [announcement] In the last 8 days I've merged 17 PRs in libsecp256k1 and closed about twice as many issues. So if anyone was holding back on offering improvements because there wasn't much activity there, thats no longer the case. (Also, most of what remains isn't getting merged quickly, so if you were expecting otherwise please feel free to ping on that repo)
449 2019-02-28T19:38:02  <wumpus> gmaxwell: good to know, I still intend to make a risc-v asm implementation of some things
450 2019-02-28T19:38:53  <gmaxwell> \O/
451 2019-02-28T19:38:58  <sipa> oh nice
452 2019-02-28T19:39:23  <gmaxwell> I should get a risc-v VM going then. :)
453 2019-02-28T19:39:24  <provoostenator> Nothing urgent wallet wise from my end. I started a very, very rough draft of a descriptor based wallet in #15487. I'll ping people when that's a bit further along.
454 2019-02-28T19:39:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15487 | [WIP] descriptor based wallet by Sjors · Pull Request #15487 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
455 2019-02-28T19:39:30  <wumpus> yes :)
456 2019-02-28T19:40:33  <jonasschnelli> Nice! provoostenator... I'll take a closer look soon
457 2019-02-28T19:40:50  <provoostenator> If someone wants to whip up a Descriptor instance method that can scan the blockchain for relevant transactions that would help.
458 2019-02-28T19:41:07  <wumpus> provoostenator: that looks interesting
459 2019-02-28T19:41:20  <luke-jr> gmaxwell: there's apparently $8 RISC-V hardware now (not much memory, but maybe irrelevant for just libsecp256k1)
460 2019-02-28T19:41:38  <sipa> provoostenator: that sounds like the wrong approach; descriptors shouldn't need to know about the blockchain
461 2019-02-28T19:41:48  <gmaxwell> easier to debug on a VM than a microcontroller. :P
462 2019-02-28T19:41:59  <instagibbs> provoostenator, we're already using descriptor-based detection when scanning blocks I thought
463 2019-02-28T19:42:03  <sipa> and it shouldn't ne needed either, as you can compute the sPKs and scan for those
464 2019-02-28T19:42:09  <instagibbs> for detecting used keys at least
465 2019-02-28T19:42:10  <sipa> instagibbs: nope
466 2019-02-28T19:42:14  <sipa> yes
467 2019-02-28T19:42:18  <sipa> but not for ismine
468 2019-02-28T19:42:22  <provoostenator> sipa: somethign should do such scanning, I don't care what.
469 2019-02-28T19:42:31  <instagibbs> right, but I'm saying I'm not sure what the big leap is :)
470 2019-02-28T19:42:38  <instagibbs> details aside
471 2019-02-28T19:43:53  <wumpus> luke-jr: yea for just that the amount of memory doesn't matter, I was eventually able to test most of secp256k1 on the HiFive board with 16kB of memory (+ lots of read-only flash)
472 2019-02-28T19:44:30  <wumpus> but yes VM is definitely easier for debugging than JTAG+openocd
473 2019-02-28T19:46:26  <wumpus> no more topics I guess?
474 2019-02-28T19:46:57  <instagibbs> provoostenator, I'll take a look at your WIP for tomorrow if I get the time
475 2019-02-28T19:46:58  <sipa> provoostenator: the hardest part is getting an equivalent of the keypool, i think - we still need lookahead to find gaps, but it needs to be something consisting of sPKs (and related indexes into descriptors) rather than just keys
476 2019-02-28T19:47:39  <instagibbs> "(and related indexes into descriptors)" hm?
477 2019-02-28T19:47:57  <sipa> so that we can remember how far the expand them
478 2019-02-28T19:48:25  <instagibbs> ah, numbers, not like txindex indexes
479 2019-02-28T19:48:39  <sipa> ah yes
480 2019-02-28T19:49:21  <provoostenator> In my WIP I added a WalletDescriptor class in walletdb.h, which I image could track the last seen and/or last resevered (with getnewaddress) index.
481 2019-02-28T19:49:22  <instagibbs> somehow I think "indices" disambiguates it even though they're technically identical
482 2019-02-28T19:49:28  <provoostenator> Maybe it doesn't need a new class.
483 2019-02-28T19:50:06  <sipa> provoostenator: it needs a lot more
484 2019-02-28T19:50:21  <sipa> i have a gist that describes the necessary things i think
485 2019-02-28T19:50:27  <provoostenator> I added a lot a restrictions to the initial attempt that makes things a bit easier.
486 2019-02-28T19:50:37  <provoostenator> No private keys for example :-)
487 2019-02-28T19:50:52  <provoostenator> But of course we still need to architect it in a way that's not a dead end.
488 2019-02-28T19:51:30  <sipa> yeah
489 2019-02-28T19:52:04  <provoostenator> Another shortcut I took was serializing the descriptor as a string, which is also not a good long term solution I think.
490 2019-02-28T19:52:49  <provoostenator> I found myself needing unique identifiers...
491 2019-02-28T19:52:57  <provoostenator> (maybe your gist already covers all that)
492 2019-02-28T19:55:07  <jonasschnelli> I guess we can close the meeting?
493 2019-02-28T19:55:29  <sipa> yeah
494 2019-02-28T19:55:31  <wumpus> #endmeeting
495 2019-02-28T19:55:31  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Feb 28 19:55:31 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
496 2019-02-28T19:55:31  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-28-19.00.html
497 2019-02-28T19:55:31  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-28-19.00.txt
498 2019-02-28T19:55:31  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-02-28-19.00.log.html
499 2019-02-28T19:56:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
500 2019-02-28T19:56:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15504: test: Remove useless test_bitcoin_main.cpp (master...1903-testMain) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15504
501 2019-02-28T19:56:11  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
502 2019-02-28T19:56:15  <sipa> provoostenator: i think there are a few preparation steps i'd like to focus on first
503 2019-02-28T19:56:36  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
504 2019-02-28T19:56:37  *** kexkey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
505 2019-02-28T19:56:52  <sipa> to make sure the ismine/keypool logic can be kept separate for descriptor records
506 2019-02-28T19:57:11  <provoostenator> I always like to build a rough working prototype to figure out what's missing and then work on preparation steps. :-)
507 2019-02-28T19:57:13  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2019-02-28T19:57:38  <sipa> fair
509 2019-02-28T20:00:50  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
510 2019-02-28T20:04:11  <wumpus> provoostenator: that's a good approach I think
511 2019-02-28T20:05:11  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
512 2019-02-28T20:06:30  *** captjakk_ has quit IRC
513 2019-02-28T20:09:27  *** promag_ has quit IRC
514 2019-02-28T20:10:44  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
515 2019-02-28T20:12:14  <sipa> provoostenator: i was referring to this: https://gist.github.com/sipa/125cfa1615946d0c3f3eec2ad7f250a2
516 2019-02-28T20:12:24  <sipa> it's pre descriptors though
517 2019-02-28T20:13:36  <provoostenator> Ah yes, the famous gist. I'll give that another read, since I've dug a lot deeper into the rabbit hole since the last time I read it.
518 2019-02-28T20:15:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
519 2019-02-28T20:15:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/20268c6d767b...29c24b05fb71
520 2019-02-28T20:15:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4a5e52c Chun Kuan Lee: msvc: Use a single file to specify the include path
521 2019-02-28T20:15:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 29c24b0 MarcoFalke: Merge #15503: msvc: Use a single file to specify the include path
522 2019-02-28T20:15:08  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
523 2019-02-28T20:15:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
524 2019-02-28T20:15:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15503: msvc: Use a single file to specify the include path (master...msvc-include-fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15503
525 2019-02-28T20:15:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
526 2019-02-28T20:20:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
527 2019-02-28T20:20:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar opened pull request #15505: [p2p] Request NOTFOUND transactions immediately from other outbound peers, when possible (master...2019-02-notfound-requests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15505
528 2019-02-28T20:20:20  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
529 2019-02-28T20:30:58  *** jarthur_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
530 2019-02-28T20:31:11  <gwillen> provoostenator: for what it's worth, none of your PGP-signed messages that came through to me at all, have been mangled (on the groups.io test)
531 2019-02-28T20:31:35  <gwillen> I got two clearsigned with inline signatures, both look fine
532 2019-02-28T20:34:14  *** jarthur has quit IRC
533 2019-02-28T20:35:05  <sipa> sdaftuar: interesting... are notfound messages for things we requested common?
534 2019-02-28T20:35:33  <sdaftuar> sipa: sort of.  they are common now for parents of orphan transactions, since we don't give those out yet ourselves
535 2019-02-28T20:35:53  <sdaftuar> of course this will have no benefit in those cases, typically
536 2019-02-28T20:36:10  <sdaftuar> but this paves the way for a future in which we could be more willing to drop things out of mapRelay and not serve them to peers
537 2019-02-28T20:36:36  <sdaftuar> because we can reasonably believe our peers can just request them from someone else (right now this a small DoS to our peers if we give a NOTFOUND)
538 2019-02-28T20:36:37  *** Dean_Guss has quit IRC
539 2019-02-28T20:37:00  <sdaftuar> and then we can get rid of mapRelay altogether, i think -- which i'd like to do because our memory bounds on it are not very tight
540 2019-02-28T20:37:32  <sdaftuar> (and then i can fix the problem of us not returning parents of orphan transactions when a peer requests them)
541 2019-02-28T20:41:50  *** jarthur_ is now known as jarthur
542 2019-02-28T20:44:23  <sipa> hmm, interesting
543 2019-02-28T20:47:04  *** [\\\] has quit IRC
544 2019-02-28T20:48:24  <provoostenator> gwillen: odd, Apple Mail with GPG Suite complains the signature is invalid, but perhaps other mail clients are more tolerant?
545 2019-02-28T20:53:04  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
546 2019-02-28T21:11:54  *** schmidty has quit IRC
547 2019-02-28T21:14:26  *** mmgen has quit IRC
548 2019-02-28T21:17:27  *** Emcy has quit IRC
549 2019-02-28T21:19:21  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
550 2019-02-28T21:19:48  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
551 2019-02-28T21:24:13  *** dermoth has quit IRC
552 2019-02-28T21:26:38  *** captjakk has quit IRC
553 2019-02-28T21:28:31  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
554 2019-02-28T21:28:37  *** Randolf has quit IRC
555 2019-02-28T21:30:39  *** captjakk has quit IRC
556 2019-02-28T21:31:04  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
557 2019-02-28T21:33:07  *** jarthur has quit IRC
558 2019-02-28T21:33:42  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2019-02-28T21:34:49  <gwillen> provoostenator: I just copied and pasted everything inside the ----- lines into gpg2
560 2019-02-28T21:35:15  <gwillen> but I saw that you said something about the footer cutting into the signature, and I don't see anything like that on my end (this is on the message that starts with "maybe this works")
561 2019-02-28T21:35:25  <gwillen> everything looks intact
562 2019-02-28T21:51:27  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
563 2019-02-28T21:51:27  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2019-02-28T21:56:17  *** schmidty has quit IRC
565 2019-02-28T22:16:53  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2019-02-28T22:21:53  *** schmidty has quit IRC
567 2019-02-28T22:22:32  *** jb55 has quit IRC
568 2019-02-28T22:29:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
569 2019-02-28T22:29:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift closed pull request #15214: tests: Check for expected return values when calling functions returning a success code (master...check-return-values-in-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15214
570 2019-02-28T22:30:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2019-02-28T22:32:34  *** dqx_ has quit IRC
572 2019-02-28T22:34:29  *** dqx_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2019-02-28T22:35:22  *** dqx__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
574 2019-02-28T22:38:56  *** dqx_ has quit IRC
575 2019-02-28T22:41:15  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
576 2019-02-28T22:44:12  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
577 2019-02-28T22:49:00  *** schmidty has quit IRC
578 2019-02-28T22:49:36  *** spinza has quit IRC
579 2019-02-28T22:49:40  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
580 2019-02-28T22:57:20  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
581 2019-02-28T23:00:42  *** Emcy has quit IRC
582 2019-02-28T23:01:11  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2019-02-28T23:02:26  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
584 2019-02-28T23:05:00  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
585 2019-02-28T23:06:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
586 2019-02-28T23:07:09  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
587 2019-02-28T23:07:22  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
588 2019-02-28T23:24:57  *** dqx__ has quit IRC
589 2019-02-28T23:26:13  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
590 2019-02-28T23:29:41  *** dqx_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
591 2019-02-28T23:30:27  *** schmidty has quit IRC
592 2019-02-28T23:31:12  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
593 2019-02-28T23:31:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2019-02-28T23:31:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 opened pull request #15506: appveyor: fix cache issue and reduce dependencies build time (master...appveyor-release-only) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15506
595 2019-02-28T23:31:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2019-02-28T23:36:09  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
597 2019-02-28T23:37:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
598 2019-02-28T23:37:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15507: test: Bump timeout on tests that timeout on windows (master...1903-testTimeoutWindows) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15507
599 2019-02-28T23:37:18  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
600 2019-02-28T23:47:37  *** timothy has quit IRC