1 2019-03-15T00:00:12  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2019-03-15T00:02:13  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-03-15T00:03:13  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-03-15T00:05:10  *** ThomasLuong has quit IRC
  5 2019-03-15T00:07:28  *** spinza has quit IRC
  6 2019-03-15T00:07:47  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
  7 2019-03-15T00:08:42  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-03-15T00:12:49  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
  9 2019-03-15T00:13:58  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-03-15T00:14:10  *** OneFive has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2019-03-15T00:14:31  *** millerti has quit IRC
 12 2019-03-15T00:20:07  *** promag has quit IRC
 13 2019-03-15T00:20:29  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-03-15T00:23:58  *** Zenton has quit IRC
 15 2019-03-15T00:32:13  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2019-03-15T00:35:26  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 17 2019-03-15T00:42:27  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-03-15T00:43:28  *** jonatack has quit IRC
 19 2019-03-15T00:44:28  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2019-03-15T00:47:18  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2019-03-15T00:50:29  *** makey40 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-03-15T00:54:00  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
 23 2019-03-15T00:56:28  *** deepakmkathayat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-03-15T00:56:32  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-03-15T00:57:11  *** deepakmkathayat is now known as dmkathayat
 26 2019-03-15T01:12:40  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2019-03-15T01:21:05  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2019-03-15T01:22:19  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-03-15T01:24:05  <dmkathayat> Just getting started on core development and while reading through the functional tests, found a test rpc_net that isn't following the code style guidelines.
 30 2019-03-15T01:25:17  <sipa> dmkathayat: that is definitely possible
 31 2019-03-15T01:25:30  <dmkathayat> run_test() must come towards the end of the subclass? This one has it somewhere in the middle before helper methods. I can submit a Trivial PR.
 32 2019-03-15T01:26:06  <sipa> i'm glad to see your enthousiasm, but please don't
 33 2019-03-15T01:26:15  <sipa> from https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/developer-notes.md:
 34 2019-03-15T01:26:20  <sipa> * Do not submit patches solely to modify the style of existing code.
 35 2019-03-15T01:26:43  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 36 2019-03-15T01:26:47  <dmkathayat> Got it!
 37 2019-03-15T01:27:45  <dmkathayat> I might pool it in with the long-term PR I'm starting on.
 38 2019-03-15T01:28:05  <fanquake> dmkathayat What are you working on in the long term PR?
 39 2019-03-15T01:29:24  <dmkathayat> sdaftuar has raised this issue in the past: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14210
 40 2019-03-15T01:30:25  <dmkathayat> I'm just starting to look at it. A testnet that could spin up a bunch of nodes with random IPs to test communication with outbound peers?
 41 2019-03-15T01:30:59  <fanquake> dmkathayat cool
 42 2019-03-15T01:31:49  <dmkathayat> Right now, I have a rudimentary setup using Docker containers. But here's an initial approach:
 43 2019-03-15T01:32:12  <dmkathayat> 1) Create example_testnet.py in functional tests
 44 2019-03-15T01:32:48  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-03-15T01:33:20  <dmkathayat> 2) Configure a Dockerfile and docker-compose.yml to have a bunch of nodes(initially a fixed number) and put them inside data/
 46 2019-03-15T01:33:26  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 47 2019-03-15T01:34:55  <dmkathayat> 3) Run example_testnet.py that would start a docker instance as a subprocess, with each node running a sample test.
 48 2019-03-15T01:36:06  <dmkathayat> If this is vague to understand, I'm finishing a PR that'd explain it in more detail. Please bear with me.
 49 2019-03-15T01:39:16  *** ThomasLuong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-03-15T01:40:53  *** ThomasLuong has quit IRC
 51 2019-03-15T01:55:23  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-03-15T01:58:24  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-03-15T01:59:46  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-03-15T02:00:35  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-03-15T02:01:55  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-03-15T02:02:41  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 57 2019-03-15T02:03:25  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-03-15T02:07:49  *** shesek has quit IRC
 59 2019-03-15T02:10:50  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-03-15T02:17:29  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-03-15T02:20:46  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-03-15T02:21:59  <dongcarl> dmkathayat: I think it'd be better if the tests were runnable even on machines that don't have docker installed
 63 2019-03-15T02:21:59  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 64 2019-03-15T02:22:33  <dongcarl> One route I was looking at today was doing this thru network namespaces
 65 2019-03-15T02:23:42  <dongcarl> Then on top of that, we basically want to do what Jepsen does, but perhaps without the Clojure dependency: https://github.com/jepsen-io/jepsen
 66 2019-03-15T02:24:47  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2019-03-15T02:25:34  *** promag has quit IRC
 68 2019-03-15T02:29:55  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2019-03-15T02:34:27  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 70 2019-03-15T02:37:01  <dmkathayat> dongcarl: thanks for your comment
 71 2019-03-15T02:37:44  <dmkathayat> Could there be a hard limit to how complex a topology can be if we use network namespaces?
 72 2019-03-15T02:37:52  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-03-15T02:38:38  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 74 2019-03-15T02:39:44  <dmkathayat> I imagine a docker-like solution could scale to any number of nodes and allow for all sorts of complex behavior
 75 2019-03-15T02:39:48  <dongcarl> dmkathayat: Hahaha the point of the network namespace _is_ so that we can make the topology as complex as we want
 76 2019-03-15T02:42:05  <dmkathayat> dongcarl: Hmm. So you're suggesting one could scale to a complex enough topology on their machine if they wanted?
 77 2019-03-15T02:42:08  <dongcarl> But maybe docker can work just as well, we need to think about how we'd interrupt comms between containers or simulate packet loss and such
 78 2019-03-15T02:42:24  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2019-03-15T02:42:32  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 80 2019-03-15T02:42:47  <dongcarl> By the way...
 81 2019-03-15T02:42:56  <dongcarl> docker is using network namespaces behind the scenes
 82 2019-03-15T02:43:12  <dongcarl> with a veth to your default route iface I think
 83 2019-03-15T02:43:35  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2019-03-15T02:44:23  <dmkathayat> I was coming from the fact that docker would allow anyone to do that (take it to a cloud if they want and do advanced stuff). If namespaces can still do it, sure.
 85 2019-03-15T02:47:39  <dmkathayat> I don't know much about network namespaces, but I guess there should be a hard limit if you're just limited to one machine? Got to read up more on it
 86 2019-03-15T02:48:35  <dongcarl> dmkathayat: Well if you look deep enough, docker doesn't scale to "any number of nodes," it uses network namespaces as a backend
 87 2019-03-15T02:49:19  <dongcarl> Also nodes have to refer to each other by their IP addresses, so that's inherently limited
 88 2019-03-15T02:50:27  <dongcarl> I think by default every new namespace has loopback
 89 2019-03-15T02:50:40  <dongcarl> so that's a /8 for you
 90 2019-03-15T02:51:34  <dmkathayat> It may be the other way round. Docker allows you to refer other nodes by their hostname. That's how I've used it in the past.
 91 2019-03-15T02:51:43  <dmkathayat> IP addrs work as well
 92 2019-03-15T02:51:53  <dongcarl> hostnames are resolved to IPs
 93 2019-03-15T02:52:17  <sipa> dmkathayat: they may have a hostname each, but they still need a unique ip address too
 94 2019-03-15T02:52:42  <sipa> i also don't think you'll be running 256 bitcoinds on any reasonably-sized machine any time soon...
 95 2019-03-15T02:52:52  <sipa> so i doubt this is a problem
 96 2019-03-15T02:53:24  <dongcarl> Haha true
 97 2019-03-15T02:53:51  <dmkathayat> sure, yeah. I was wondering how big this needs to be. You said it! :)
 98 2019-03-15T02:53:54  <sipa> (or would there just be a single actual bitcoind, and a bunch of python-backed simulations for the other IP addresses?)
 99 2019-03-15T02:54:45  <gmaxwell> I'm not entirely sure how useful that sort of thing is, since those hosts will be in private space (e.g. RFC1918) and bitcoind handles those addresses specially.
100 2019-03-15T02:54:46  <dongcarl> The other thing to consider is the issue brought up by sdaftuar, that bitcoind behaves differently when connecting to nodes on private/local subnets thru `IsLocal` detection
101 2019-03-15T02:54:52  <gmaxwell> jinx
102 2019-03-15T02:54:53  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
103 2019-03-15T02:54:58  <dongcarl> Yup
104 2019-03-15T02:55:20  <dongcarl> But perhaps in your own namespace you can just assign IPs to whatever you want?
105 2019-03-15T02:55:25  <sipa> i'm sure things can be coerced to look like routable IPs
106 2019-03-15T02:55:42  <gmaxwell> they can, at some risk of breakign crap for people running the tests.
107 2019-03-15T02:55:54  <dongcarl> Not if they're in their own namespace!
108 2019-03-15T02:56:04  <dongcarl> If they're in the root namespace... of course
109 2019-03-15T02:56:23  <gmaxwell> well okay true, but then causing kind of inexplicable behavior when you can't reach the nodes you're testing because they're namespaced. :P
110 2019-03-15T02:56:55  * gmaxwell proposes to assign them to the subnets of popular ad networks so at least if they leak they'll improve your browsing expirence by being unreachable on port 80/443.
111 2019-03-15T02:57:08  <sipa> hahaha
112 2019-03-15T02:57:13  <dongcarl> lolll
113 2019-03-15T02:57:28  <dongcarl> we'll just document it well, and it'll be fine I think
114 2019-03-15T02:57:37  <dmkathayat> I guess having some kind of isolation definitely helps
115 2019-03-15T02:58:41  <dongcarl> I really wish we could integrate something like Jepsen, it seems quite flexible, but the extra dependency for people who want to test might be a no-go
116 2019-03-15T02:59:59  <gmaxwell> please don't make some kind of vm/system image/anything that requires root be a pre-req for tests in general.  For a special test that not everyone has to run, okay dokie, I'll just never run it.
117 2019-03-15T03:01:00  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2019-03-15T03:01:19  <dongcarl> Yup, agreed
119 2019-03-15T03:01:31  <dmkathayat> dongcarl: wouldn't you rather prefer having a docker dependency? And if docker uses namespaces anyway, why should we reinvent the wheel?
120 2019-03-15T03:03:05  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
121 2019-03-15T03:03:22  <dongcarl> dmkathayat: network namespaces ship with most Linux kernels
122 2019-03-15T03:03:23  <dmkathayat> gmaxwell: thanks for chiming in with `isLocal` reference.
123 2019-03-15T03:03:39  <dongcarl> docker does not and requires root
124 2019-03-15T03:04:30  <dongcarl> (actually not sure if network namespaces require root but at least no dependency)
125 2019-03-15T03:06:00  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-03-15T03:06:10  <sipa> pretty sure they do
127 2019-03-15T03:06:27  <dongcarl> Ah, they require you to be added to `netns` group
128 2019-03-15T03:06:42  <sipa> ah
129 2019-03-15T03:07:31  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
130 2019-03-15T03:08:54  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-03-15T03:08:58  <dmkathayat> dongcarl: are you working on network namespaces already? I'd love to help anyway I can. Tbh, I just wanted to get started on bitcoin
132 2019-03-15T03:10:17  <dmkathayat> (if the `consensus` is not to go after docker.. haha)
133 2019-03-15T03:10:26  <dongcarl> dmkathayat: Haven't started on it yet, feel free to do it
134 2019-03-15T03:11:36  * sipa sees the word docker and gets an irrational "why does everything need to be in vms/containers/...?" reaction
135 2019-03-15T03:11:50  <dmkathayat> dongcarl: sure
136 2019-03-15T03:11:57  <sipa> (but given that i hardly know anything about it, you should probably disregard my opinion)
137 2019-03-15T03:11:59  <jarthur> With network namespaces, do you get your own abstract namespace as well in Linux?  You'd get a few million network addresses in that namespace once linux abstract sockets are supported.
138 2019-03-15T03:12:33  <dongcarl> Not sure I understood the question
139 2019-03-15T03:13:14  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-03-15T03:13:38  <sipa> jarthur: you're referring to unix sockets? they're not really a solution here, as the goal is testing a.o. the addrman peer selection logic etc
141 2019-03-15T03:13:51  <sipa> which is specific to the public internet
142 2019-03-15T03:14:06  <jarthur> got it, am still curious re the abstract namespace :)
143 2019-03-15T03:15:35  <dongcarl> I don't know much about abstract namespaces sry
144 2019-03-15T03:15:42  <dongcarl> Perhaps you can enlighten?
145 2019-03-15T03:16:21  <dongcarl> Ah wait
146 2019-03-15T03:16:22  <dongcarl> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/network_namespaces.7.html
147 2019-03-15T03:17:29  <jarthur> They're like file path Unix sockets, except are known only to the networking stack and not the file system, and are permisionless. Very high performance to work with and you get a massive number of possible address combinations, but in the end, yea, Unix socket family and not applicable to this use case.
148 2019-03-15T03:17:58  <jarthur> Not supported by Windows unix sockets or macOS either
149 2019-03-15T03:18:07  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
150 2019-03-15T03:18:10  <dongcarl> "network namespaces isolate the UNIX domain abstract socket namespace"
151 2019-03-15T03:18:16  <jarthur> sweet
152 2019-03-15T03:18:38  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
153 2019-03-15T03:20:35  <dmkathayat> sipa: the issue sdaftaur had created (14210) had "containers" somewhere in there. I translated that to mean docker :P
154 2019-03-15T03:23:16  <sipa> dmkathayat: ha, that's fait
155 2019-03-15T03:36:44  <jarthur> I'm taking a look at unix socket support for RPC again, am trying to figure out the best way to convey an abstract socket in bitcoind.conf or at the command line. In Linux, you prepend the socket path name with a null byte to hint to the kernel that it's abstract, but it seems wrong to have folks enter a control char at the command line or in the conf file even if it is valid UTF-8.
156 2019-03-15T03:42:04  <jarthur> Maybe better to not support it at first, figure it out later.
157 2019-03-15T03:43:32  <dongcarl> jarthur: Maybe take a look at how ssh does it?
158 2019-03-15T03:45:43  <dongcarl> I know some apps use `unix://` vs `tcp://` to differentiate
159 2019-03-15T03:46:50  <dongcarl> but you probably just add a separate option if you want
160 2019-03-15T03:47:54  <jarthur> Looks like procfs and curl use @ symbol. Couldn't find an escape sequence for OpenSSH; it may not support it officially.
161 2019-03-15T03:51:23  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2019-03-15T03:54:51  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
163 2019-03-15T03:55:05  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2019-03-15T03:59:25  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
165 2019-03-15T04:01:01  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-03-15T04:08:32  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
167 2019-03-15T04:08:34  *** morcos has quit IRC
168 2019-03-15T04:09:08  *** ExtraCrispy has quit IRC
169 2019-03-15T04:09:08  *** sipa has quit IRC
170 2019-03-15T04:09:08  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
171 2019-03-15T04:09:08  *** arubi_ has quit IRC
172 2019-03-15T04:10:05  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2019-03-15T04:10:06  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-03-15T04:10:29  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-03-15T04:11:10  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2019-03-15T04:13:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-03-15T04:13:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 closed pull request #14464: refactor: make checkqueue manage the threads by itself (also removed some boost dependencies) (master...drop-boost-cond) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14464
178 2019-03-15T04:13:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-03-15T04:15:05  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-03-15T04:15:39  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
181 2019-03-15T04:17:29  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-03-15T04:27:24  *** jimmysong has quit IRC
183 2019-03-15T04:27:49  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2019-03-15T04:28:51  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
185 2019-03-15T04:31:22  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-03-15T04:36:09  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-03-15T04:38:56  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
188 2019-03-15T04:39:18  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2019-03-15T04:39:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2019-03-15T04:45:32  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
191 2019-03-15T04:56:55  *** mesnia has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2019-03-15T04:57:42  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2019-03-15T04:57:43  *** mesnia has quit IRC
194 2019-03-15T05:00:49  *** AndroUser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2019-03-15T05:01:27  *** dmkathayat has quit IRC
196 2019-03-15T05:02:23  *** AndroUser is now known as dmkathayat
197 2019-03-15T05:09:38  *** dmkathayat has quit IRC
198 2019-03-15T05:11:01  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
199 2019-03-15T05:11:02  *** jimmysong has quit IRC
200 2019-03-15T05:12:22  *** AndroUser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2019-03-15T05:15:13  *** hebasto has quit IRC
202 2019-03-15T05:23:39  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
203 2019-03-15T05:24:07  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-03-15T05:25:23  *** Woodsy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-03-15T05:26:46  *** Woodsy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-03-15T05:28:54  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
207 2019-03-15T05:31:51  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2019-03-15T05:32:08  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-03-15T05:35:08  *** Woodsy has quit IRC
210 2019-03-15T05:35:59  *** Woodsy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2019-03-15T05:37:33  *** AndroUser has quit IRC
212 2019-03-15T05:42:29  <fanquake> Have i jumped the gun with #15584 ? Otherwise looking for a Concept ACK
213 2019-03-15T05:42:31  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15584 | build: disable BIP70 support by default by fanquake · Pull Request #15584 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
214 2019-03-15T05:49:03  *** dmkathayat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2019-03-15T05:56:10  <fanquake> wumpus Are we going straight to rc3 given that #15602 has been merged?
216 2019-03-15T05:56:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15602 | 0.18: [p2p] Enable reject messages by default by jnewbery · Pull Request #15602 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
217 2019-03-15T05:57:02  <fanquake> eh, guess we dont actually have to skip ahead.
218 2019-03-15T06:15:46  *** tianling has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2019-03-15T06:18:22  <wumpus> huh no I didn't tag rc2 yet did I?
220 2019-03-15T06:18:46  <wumpus> everyone seems to be so convinced that I did that I'm starting to doubt myself lol
221 2019-03-15T06:21:18  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
222 2019-03-15T06:28:37  <gmaxwell> lol
223 2019-03-15T06:28:47  <gmaxwell> sorry, my fault I saw you bump the version and thought that was the tagging.
224 2019-03-15T06:32:12  <fanquake> wumpus yea I thought it'd been done after seeing the version bump in the branch, sorry
225 2019-03-15T06:42:47  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
226 2019-03-15T06:45:17  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2019-03-15T06:54:38  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
228 2019-03-15T06:57:14  <gmaxwell> hurrah, I'm not the only gun jumper
229 2019-03-15T07:05:15  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
230 2019-03-15T07:05:43  *** nikky_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2019-03-15T07:08:10  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
232 2019-03-15T07:18:17  *** dmkathayat has quit IRC
233 2019-03-15T07:18:25  *** JackH has quit IRC
234 2019-03-15T07:23:33  *** nikky_ has quit IRC
235 2019-03-15T07:24:06  <wumpus> jnewbery MarcoFalke please update the release notes in the wiki, not in the tree!
236 2019-03-15T07:24:49  <wumpus> if people edit them in two places this leads to extra work to unify them again, and changes might be accidentally lost
237 2019-03-15T07:25:23  *** JackH has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2019-03-15T07:29:02  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2019-03-15T07:30:02  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2019-03-15T07:34:12  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
241 2019-03-15T07:34:40  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2019-03-15T07:38:37  <sipa> wumpus: if you're talking about #15604, that's for the release notes in master (for 0.19)
243 2019-03-15T07:38:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15604 | [docs] release note for disabling reject messages by default by jnewbery · Pull Request #15604 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
244 2019-03-15T07:42:13  *** BGL has quit IRC
245 2019-03-15T07:45:55  *** ExtraCrispy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-03-15T07:57:22  <gmaxwell> sipa: no the PR that MarcoFalke merged earlier
247 2019-03-15T07:57:45  <gmaxwell> sorry, I should have squaked about that
248 2019-03-15T08:04:53  <fanquake> carldong I've got the guix build happening (env setup atm) in an alpine docker container. Seems to be running alright so far.
249 2019-03-15T08:05:16  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2019-03-15T08:08:29  *** jarthur has quit IRC
251 2019-03-15T08:11:57  <wumpus> sipa: commit a7563633d2 on 0.18
252 2019-03-15T08:12:43  <wumpus> sipa: for master you're right, of course
253 2019-03-15T08:14:11  <wumpus> anyhow, time to tag rc2
254 2019-03-15T08:14:21  <fanquake> \o/
255 2019-03-15T08:16:43  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-03-15T08:16:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.18.0rc2: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.18.0rc2
257 2019-03-15T08:16:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2019-03-15T08:16:56  <provoostenator> Gitian started!
259 2019-03-15T08:18:23  <fanquake> That's efficient
260 2019-03-15T08:19:27  <sipa> the taggening is upon us
261 2019-03-15T08:22:49  *** fanquake has quit IRC
262 2019-03-15T08:38:36  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
263 2019-03-15T08:46:10  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-03-15T08:52:30  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-03-15T09:13:25  *** morcos has quit IRC
266 2019-03-15T09:13:32  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
267 2019-03-15T09:14:00  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2019-03-15T09:29:06  *** mmgen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-03-15T09:33:03  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2019-03-15T09:36:43  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
271 2019-03-15T09:41:15  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2019-03-15T09:43:45  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-03-15T09:47:58  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
274 2019-03-15T10:02:56  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-03-15T10:06:03  *** obsrver has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2019-03-15T10:06:29  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
277 2019-03-15T10:06:39  *** spinza has quit IRC
278 2019-03-15T10:06:52  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-03-15T10:17:06  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
280 2019-03-15T10:23:13  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-03-15T10:24:07  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
282 2019-03-15T10:25:09  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2019-03-15T10:26:43  *** schmidty_ has quit IRC
284 2019-03-15T10:27:08  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2019-03-15T10:38:19  *** murrayn_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-03-15T10:38:59  *** murrayn has quit IRC
287 2019-03-15T10:44:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2019-03-15T10:49:12  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
289 2019-03-15T10:56:54  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-03-15T11:17:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-03-15T11:19:56  *** nigs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2019-03-15T11:23:17  <nigs> Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right channel for my question. Anyway, I'm trying to develop a cryptocurrency from ground up, but I don't know where or how to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
293 2019-03-15T11:28:24  *** nigs has quit IRC
294 2019-03-15T11:35:19  *** hex17or has quit IRC
295 2019-03-15T11:54:42  *** cryptapus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
296 2019-03-15T11:54:44  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
297 2019-03-15T11:58:37  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-03-15T11:58:37  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2019-03-15T12:17:06  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
300 2019-03-15T12:17:25  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2019-03-15T12:38:30  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2019-03-15T12:42:15  *** Victor_sueca has quit IRC
303 2019-03-15T12:42:56  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2019-03-15T12:49:24  *** adiabat has quit IRC
305 2019-03-15T12:53:33  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
306 2019-03-15T12:57:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-03-15T12:57:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b83c6f79400f...d67f9d0db98e
308 2019-03-15T12:57:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 228e806 JeremyRand: Enable TLS in link to chris.beams.io
309 2019-03-15T12:57:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d67f9d0 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #15577: Docs: Enable TLS in link to chris.beams.io
310 2019-03-15T12:57:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
311 2019-03-15T12:58:26  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
312 2019-03-15T12:58:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
313 2019-03-15T12:58:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #15577: Docs: Enable TLS in link to chris.beams.io (master...chris-beams-tls) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15577
314 2019-03-15T12:58:36  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2019-03-15T12:59:10  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2019-03-15T13:11:40  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2019-03-15T13:22:56  *** adiabat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2019-03-15T13:22:59  *** kensingtonkala has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2019-03-15T13:30:25  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
320 2019-03-15T13:32:08  <provoostenator> nigs: definitely not the right channel
321 2019-03-15T13:33:20  <provoostenator> Try Twitter, though brace yourself :-)
322 2019-03-15T13:34:54  <Sentineo> shoot
323 2019-03-15T13:35:05  <Sentineo> just before finishing gitian build I ran out of space :D
324 2019-03-15T13:35:53  <Sentineo> using docker, is there a way to continue, or I will have to start from scratch. I will add more GB to the vm.
325 2019-03-15T13:36:27  <dongcarl> Sentineo: Are you using gitian inside a VM?
326 2019-03-15T13:36:42  <dongcarl> so like docker-gitian inside VM?
327 2019-03-15T13:37:00  <provoostenator> I don't think Docker guaranteers containers to be isolated.
328 2019-03-15T13:38:01  <dongcarl> provoostenator: ? I think he's running gitian inside a VM as per the instructions, and the VM has low disk space
329 2019-03-15T13:38:12  <Sentineo> dongcarl: yes
330 2019-03-15T13:38:36  <provoostenator> Normally there should not be a need to run Docker in a VM.
331 2019-03-15T13:38:54  <dongcarl> DougieBot5000: Right, resize the disk in your vm manager, then use something like resize2fs
332 2019-03-15T13:39:01  <dongcarl> Sentineo:
333 2019-03-15T13:39:39  <Sentineo> it is pretty slow, so I might just try running it on the vm it self. Tough docker would give me less headache
334 2019-03-15T13:40:27  <dongcarl> Sentineo: gitian always requires a vm/container dependency
335 2019-03-15T13:40:30  <provoostenator> The instructions might be out of date. Afaik you don't need a VM if you're using the new Docker approach.
336 2019-03-15T13:41:34  <dongcarl> Sentineo: Right, just lose the outside VM
337 2019-03-15T13:43:39  <wumpus> I like using the outside VM so that the bare metal setup is not cluttered with all kinds of dependencies and LXC configuration etc, but it's definitely not necessary
338 2019-03-15T13:45:30  <dongcarl> wumpus: agreed
339 2019-03-15T13:46:16  <provoostenator> wumpus: that's for LXC, not for Docker, right?
340 2019-03-15T13:47:22  <dongcarl> provoostenator: Guess it depends on what dep you prefer on your bare metal, a VM manager or docker
341 2019-03-15T13:48:56  <Sentineo> hm lxc vs docker, wondering how much performance difference is it
342 2019-03-15T13:49:47  <provoostenator> Afaik Docker has very little overhead, as long as you give it access to your real disk rather than a virtual volume.
343 2019-03-15T13:50:09  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2019-03-15T13:50:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d67f9d0db98e...118a5c8d94de
345 2019-03-15T13:50:10  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 19a0c4a Carl Dong: depends: native_protobuf: avoid system zlib
346 2019-03-15T13:50:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 118a5c8 MarcoFalke: Merge #15580: depends: native_protobuf: avoid system zlib
347 2019-03-15T13:50:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
348 2019-03-15T13:50:49  <Sentineo> just so I have an idea. How long does it take for you to do a gitian build? linux+windows for example
349 2019-03-15T13:50:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2019-03-15T13:50:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15580: depends: native_protobuf: avoid system zlib (master...2019-03-depends-native_protobuf-no-zlib) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15580
351 2019-03-15T13:50:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
352 2019-03-15T13:51:52  <wumpus> provoostenator: yes, I don't know about docker
353 2019-03-15T13:53:04  <wumpus> gitian builds are extremely slow here, but I don't blame the VM overhead for that, the ubuntu "upgrading packages" step takes very long which the inner OS is messing around with package management
354 2019-03-15T13:54:05  <wumpus> also it simply does a lot of work, a full build of bitcoind + qt for many different platforms ! even more if it the dependencies aren't cached and it needs to build qt
355 2019-03-15T13:54:21  <wumpus> (e.g.the qt library not just bitcoin-qt)
356 2019-03-15T13:56:39  <harding> As part of testing RC1, I was using the new bitcoin-wallet with its "info" command to inspect some backups, but I noticed that it changes the file write times (and won't work if I run on a read-only wallet file).  Does it actually need write access to print basic wallet info?  I'd really prefer inspections be read only (and work with read-only files).
357 2019-03-15T13:57:25  <wumpus> harding: in theory: no, it doesn't need write access to inspect files; in practice it might be the case that BerkeleyDB always opens files read-write, but I don't know this!
358 2019-03-15T13:58:32  <wumpus> would be interesting to try to run it on a wallet on a read-only fs
359 2019-03-15T13:58:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2019-03-15T13:58:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jamesob opened pull request #15606: [experimental] UTXO snapshots (master...utxo-dumpload-compressed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15606
361 2019-03-15T13:58:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
362 2019-03-15T13:58:45  <wumpus> in any case this is something it makes sense to open a github issue for
363 2019-03-15T13:59:16  <harding> wumpus: would you expect a read-only fs to differ from my test of just chmod 400'ing the file?
364 2019-03-15T13:59:29  <harding> I'll open a feature request issue.  Thanks, wumpus!
365 2019-03-15T13:59:53  <wumpus> harding: I think those are more or less equivalent, from a user-space point of view
366 2019-03-15T14:00:07  *** spinza has quit IRC
367 2019-03-15T14:00:07  <wumpus> (then again I don't know what berkeleydb does internally)
368 2019-03-15T14:00:23  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
369 2019-03-15T14:01:06  <harding> Yeah, I'd think the same.  In my test, if I try running on a read-only file (ext4 fs), bitcoin-wallet says it can't open and asks if the file is in use by another process.
370 2019-03-15T14:05:10  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
371 2019-03-15T14:05:59  <wumpus> anyhow I think it's a reasonable request, and is probably straightforward to fix *if* berkeleydb gives control over these kind of open flags
372 2019-03-15T14:09:15  *** setpill has quit IRC
373 2019-03-15T14:11:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2019-03-15T14:11:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonatack opened pull request #15607: Release process updates (master...release-process-updates) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15607
375 2019-03-15T14:11:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
376 2019-03-15T14:12:13  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
377 2019-03-15T14:15:14  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
378 2019-03-15T14:17:45  <wumpus> FWIW there's a DB_RDONLY flag for opening databases
379 2019-03-15T14:23:05  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
380 2019-03-15T14:26:49  <harding> Issue opened, #15608
381 2019-03-15T14:26:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15608 | Feature request: bitcoin-wallet tool: dont modify files unless requested · Issue #15608 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
382 2019-03-15T14:26:54  <wumpus> thanks!
383 2019-03-15T14:26:58  <harding> Thank you!
384 2019-03-15T14:27:01  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
385 2019-03-15T14:47:07  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
386 2019-03-15T15:13:05  <fanquake> Sentineo if you've gitian building on macOS, I've got some native Docker instructions here: https://github.com/fanquake/core-review/tree/master/gitian-building
387 2019-03-15T15:13:39  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
388 2019-03-15T15:29:50  <cfields> dongcarl / ryanofsky: there's a lot of history in 14856 about GetDefaultPort() that I can't quite follow. Maybe you could briefly explain why it's still needed?
389 2019-03-15T15:30:49  <cfields> Sorry, GetListenPort()
390 2019-03-15T15:32:51  <dongcarl> 1st try: Removed GetDefaultPort and required mapPort to take in a port as its second parameter: `virtual void interfaces::Node::mapPort(bool, uint16_t)`
391 2019-03-15T15:32:57  <cfields> The obvious problem there is that it's now a global and shared between two instances.
392 2019-03-15T15:33:23  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
393 2019-03-15T15:33:52  <dongcarl> This didn't work because qt called `mapPort` and didn't have the listen_port
394 2019-03-15T15:34:48  <dongcarl> 2nd try: Use `g_connman->GetDefaultListenPort()` to get the port inside `mapPort` and remove its second parameter that we added in first try
395 2019-03-15T15:35:42  <dongcarl> This didn't work because if `interfaces::Node::mapPort` is called before `CConnman::Start`, there will be a garbage default value
396 2019-03-15T15:36:01  <dongcarl> cfields: Does that make sense?
397 2019-03-15T15:36:06  <cfields> Yup
398 2019-03-15T15:36:07  <cfields> but
399 2019-03-15T15:36:29  <cfields> why not just pass the port into mapPort from the callsites? Which would mean passing it to qt during init as well.
400 2019-03-15T15:37:17  <cfields> StartMapPort(uint16_t default_port)
401 2019-03-15T15:37:48  <cfields> void mapPort(bool use_upnp, uint16_t default_port)
402 2019-03-15T15:37:51  <dongcarl> So you mean, continue with 1st try and just make sure that qt has `listen_port` to pass in to `mapPort`?
403 2019-03-15T15:38:28  <cfields> Sure. As-is, the change seems like a lateral move at best :(
404 2019-03-15T15:38:57  <dongcarl> cfields: That's true
405 2019-03-15T15:39:10  <cfields> Because the intention is to get rid of the globals so that instances respect their own port values. With this change, they'd still collide.
406 2019-03-15T15:39:29  <cfields> That said...
407 2019-03-15T15:41:06  <cfields> nm.
408 2019-03-15T15:41:30  <cfields> dongcarl: I haven't looked at the code in depth in a while, but I don't think there's anything that would keep that from working. Mind giving it a shot?
409 2019-03-15T15:42:12  <cfields> Otherwise, imo the scope of the PR should just be reduced to maybe torport and default outgoing.
410 2019-03-15T15:42:13  *** jonatack has quit IRC
411 2019-03-15T15:42:32  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2019-03-15T15:43:09  <dongcarl> Yeah I'd be happy to give it a shot. Question tho: maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way, but logically, why should qt be parameterized by a port number?
413 2019-03-15T15:43:59  <cfields> It shouldn't necessarily. But it makes sense to init all subsystems with values that they'll need to start up. Even if that means duplicating it to pass to a few different subsystems.
414 2019-03-15T15:44:45  <cfields> (Imo anyway. But that's very much a style preference)
415 2019-03-15T15:45:14  <dongcarl> Okay, I'd be happy to give it a go
416 2019-03-15T15:45:37  <dongcarl> Not familiar with qt at all so if someone can point me to where to pass things in, that'd be helpful
417 2019-03-15T15:45:40  <cfields> Thanks!
418 2019-03-15T15:46:01  <cfields> Heh, I'm not either. I think I might've either skipped that or cheated with my original PR.
419 2019-03-15T15:46:06  <cfields> jonasschnelli: ^^ :)
420 2019-03-15T15:50:10  <cfields> back in a bit
421 2019-03-15T16:26:32  *** BGL has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
422 2019-03-15T16:35:08  *** morcos has quit IRC
423 2019-03-15T16:35:24  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
424 2019-03-15T16:37:29  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
425 2019-03-15T16:51:43  *** Zenton has quit IRC
426 2019-03-15T16:57:53  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
427 2019-03-15T16:58:43  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
428 2019-03-15T17:03:47  *** mn9495883 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
429 2019-03-15T17:03:48  *** mn9495882 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
430 2019-03-15T17:07:22  *** mn9495881 has quit IRC
431 2019-03-15T17:07:48  *** mn949588 has quit IRC
432 2019-03-15T17:14:12  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
433 2019-03-15T17:19:46  <provoostenator> fanquake: thanks for sharing the link to Docker instructions for macOS
434 2019-03-15T17:28:03  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
435 2019-03-15T17:34:15  *** ExtraCrispy has quit IRC
436 2019-03-15T17:34:40  *** ExtraCrispy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
437 2019-03-15T17:45:37  *** jungly has quit IRC
438 2019-03-15T17:50:52  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
439 2019-03-15T18:00:32  <provoostenator> Wallet meeting?
440 2019-03-15T18:01:28  <sipa> oh, i thought next week
441 2019-03-15T18:02:13  <luke-jr> even if today, it's an hour early
442 2019-03-15T18:02:44  <sipa> ah yes
443 2019-03-15T18:03:25  <provoostenator> Ah yes, off by one hour. But I believe the last one was two weeks ago. We shifted them a bunch of times.
444 2019-03-15T18:05:12  <provoostenator> http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-01-19.00.log.html
445 2019-03-15T18:43:42  <meshcollider> Yep it should be today I believe
446 2019-03-15T18:44:20  <meshcollider> sipa: can you please host it today? I'll be around but my internet is patchy again
447 2019-03-15T18:45:48  *** captjakk has quit IRC
448 2019-03-15T18:46:08  <sipa> i can't
449 2019-03-15T18:47:25  <meshcollider> Someone else then, provoostenator ?
450 2019-03-15T18:47:52  <provoostenator> I'm here, but I don't I have IRC powers, and I don't know the incantations. achow101?
451 2019-03-15T18:48:11  <meshcollider> I dont think you need any permissions, I dont have any either :)
452 2019-03-15T18:48:50  *** obsrver has quit IRC
453 2019-03-15T18:49:14  <provoostenator> Ok, I'll see what happens then...
454 2019-03-15T18:51:35  <meshcollider> I think the only commands you need are startmeeting, topic, action, and endmeeting
455 2019-03-15T18:51:49  <meshcollider> Thanks
456 2019-03-15T18:52:43  <jonasschnelli> cfields: osx signatures are up
457 2019-03-15T18:52:49  <jonasschnelli> https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-detached-sigs/pull/23
458 2019-03-15T18:52:55  *** owowo has quit IRC
459 2019-03-15T18:54:31  *** kexkey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
460 2019-03-15T18:59:24  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
461 2019-03-15T19:00:04  <provoostenator> #startmeeting
462 2019-03-15T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Mar 15 19:00:04 2019 UTC.  The chair is provoostenator. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
463 2019-03-15T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
464 2019-03-15T19:00:12  <provoostenator> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
465 2019-03-15T19:00:29  <provoostenator> Topics for this week?
466 2019-03-15T19:00:57  <meshcollider> any wallet high priority PR changes wanted?
467 2019-03-15T19:01:16  <instagibbs> already added to regular list
468 2019-03-15T19:02:47  <achow101> hi
469 2019-03-15T19:04:44  <provoostenator> Sounds like we can keep this meeting short?
470 2019-03-15T19:04:51  <meshcollider> doesnt seem like theres much to talk about, indeed :)
471 2019-03-15T19:04:57  <achow101> what's the status on the descriptor wallet stuff?
472 2019-03-15T19:05:03  <provoostenator> I'm in the middle of rewriting stuff for descriptor wallets, so not much to show now.
473 2019-03-15T19:05:10  <achow101> and/or wallet overhaul
474 2019-03-15T19:05:14  <provoostenator> #topic descriptor wallets
475 2019-03-15T19:05:43  <achow101> the current desciptor wallet pr is just for having a descriptors record, right?
476 2019-03-15T19:05:55  <achow101> it's not the full overhaul "use descriptors everywhere"
477 2019-03-15T19:06:01  <instagibbs> nor ismine overhaul?
478 2019-03-15T19:06:09  <provoostenator> I'm not sure yet.
479 2019-03-15T19:06:32  <provoostenator> I definately want a proof of concept that is usable, but it might be split over multiple PRs.
480 2019-03-15T19:06:35  <meshcollider> I think sipa is planning on doing the ismine overhaul
481 2019-03-15T19:06:42  <sipa> yeah
482 2019-03-15T19:07:08  <sipa> but i'm in the middle of a few other things right now, so if someone else wants to have a shot
483 2019-03-15T19:07:15  <provoostenator> So I'll probably keep this one focussed on serialization, wallet flags and import commands.
484 2019-03-15T19:07:19  <achow101> what needs to be done for ismine?
485 2019-03-15T19:07:55  <sipa> achow101: my idea is to abstract out the wallet's keypool+ismine logic, and then descriptor records become an alternative implementation of that interface
486 2019-03-15T19:08:27  <provoostenator> AddToWalletIfInvolvingMe
487 2019-03-15T19:08:36  <achow101> so ismine becomes "this script exists in my keypool/wallet/whatever"?
488 2019-03-15T19:08:39  <meshcollider> handling ismine in a similar way to how signingprovider abstracts signing
489 2019-03-15T19:08:40  <provoostenator> Should probably loop over descriptors and call something there.
490 2019-03-15T19:08:59  <sipa> provoostenator: descriptor records would have a cache of sPKs to look for
491 2019-03-15T19:09:07  <sipa> as they can be pre-expanded
492 2019-03-15T19:09:14  <sipa> which replaces the keypool concept
493 2019-03-15T19:09:41  <sipa> provoostenator: no, all of IsMIne, not just AddToWalletIfInvolving me (i don't expect that function to change much)
494 2019-03-15T19:09:46  <meshcollider> the cache is already implemented in one of your earlier PRs right
495 2019-03-15T19:09:56  <sipa> sure, but descriptor records aren't
496 2019-03-15T19:11:09  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2019-03-15T19:11:45  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
498 2019-03-15T19:13:36  <achow101> so (at a high level) all that's left is storing descriptors in the wallet and ismine logic
499 2019-03-15T19:13:49  <sipa> "all that's left" haha
500 2019-03-15T19:13:55  <achow101> (which I guess is "everything")
501 2019-03-15T19:13:57  <sipa> but yes :)
502 2019-03-15T19:14:41  <provoostenator> We also need to think about how to store labels and how to store which addresses have been "reserved", e.g. though getnewaddress.
503 2019-03-15T19:15:11  <sipa> labels wouldn't change at all
504 2019-03-15T19:15:27  <achow101> provoostenator: I don't think that would be much (or any) different from how we do it now
505 2019-03-15T19:15:46  <sipa> and reserved addresses are in the records, which store how far each has been explored so far
506 2019-03-15T19:15:54  <provoostenator> Ah I see address labels are literaly indexed by the address string.
507 2019-03-15T19:18:49  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
508 2019-03-15T19:19:04  <achow101> in other news, hwi 1.0 will be released today just in time for people to use it with core 0.18
509 2019-03-15T19:19:17  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
510 2019-03-15T19:19:31  <provoostenator> #topic hardware wallets
511 2019-03-15T19:19:41  <provoostenator> achow101: nice!
512 2019-03-15T19:21:38  <provoostenator> Any other topics?
513 2019-03-15T19:22:09  <achow101> seems not
514 2019-03-15T19:22:18  <provoostenator> #endmeeting
515 2019-03-15T19:22:18  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Fri Mar 15 19:22:18 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
516 2019-03-15T19:22:18  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-15-19.00.html
517 2019-03-15T19:22:18  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-15-19.00.txt
518 2019-03-15T19:22:18  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-15-19.00.log.html
519 2019-03-15T19:25:23  <gmaxwell> \O/
520 2019-03-15T19:26:33  <provoostenator> gmaxwell: too soon?
521 2019-03-15T19:33:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
522 2019-03-15T19:37:44  *** promag has quit IRC
523 2019-03-15T19:39:34  <cfields> gitian builders: detached sigs for v0.18.0rc2 are up.
524 2019-03-15T19:40:13  <gmaxwell> provoostenator: no not too soon, that was just random cheering.
525 2019-03-15T19:40:23  <gmaxwell> (I was around for the meeting but didn't have anything to say)
526 2019-03-15T19:41:10  *** kensingtonkala has quit IRC
527 2019-03-15T19:44:06  <gwillen> are we permanently offsetting wallet meeting parity
528 2019-03-15T19:44:48  *** sgeisler has quit IRC
529 2019-03-15T19:46:36  <sipa> gwillen: no, it's you who has moved
530 2019-03-15T19:47:07  <sipa> (meeting is 7pm GMT)
531 2019-03-15T19:47:19  <achow101> sipa: I think we're offset by a week
532 2019-03-15T19:47:23  <sipa> ah!
533 2019-03-15T19:47:31  <sipa> sorry, i thought it was about the time
534 2019-03-15T19:52:18  <gwillen> "no, it's the children who are wrong"
535 2019-03-15T19:52:26  <gwillen> but yeah I meant the week offset
536 2019-03-15T19:52:40  <gwillen> I think it can be tough to keep track of such things
537 2019-03-15T19:52:46  <gwillen> I wonder how many people besides me were expecting it to be next week
538 2019-03-15T19:53:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
539 2019-03-15T19:54:45  *** promag has quit IRC
540 2019-03-15T19:55:08  *** jonatack_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
541 2019-03-15T19:57:00  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
542 2019-03-15T20:00:21  *** jonatack_ has quit IRC
543 2019-03-15T20:02:11  *** jonatack_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
544 2019-03-15T20:12:05  *** captjakk has quit IRC
545 2019-03-15T20:13:52  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
546 2019-03-15T20:17:24  *** instagibbs has quit IRC
547 2019-03-15T20:18:37  *** jonatack_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
548 2019-03-15T20:19:46  *** instagibbs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2019-03-15T20:23:27  *** jonatack_ has quit IRC
550 2019-03-15T20:23:40  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
551 2019-03-15T20:28:57  *** mmgen has quit IRC
552 2019-03-15T20:29:49  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2019-03-15T20:55:02  *** captjakk has quit IRC
554 2019-03-15T20:56:15  *** shesek has quit IRC
555 2019-03-15T20:56:59  <promag> can someone tell me why InterpretBool("true") gives false?
556 2019-03-15T20:58:28  <gwillen> ... :-(
557 2019-03-15T20:58:54  <gwillen> because it only interprets numbers
558 2019-03-15T20:58:55  <gwillen> "return (atoi(strValue) != 0);"
559 2019-03-15T20:59:02  <gwillen> atoi returns zero for strings with no numeric prefix
560 2019-03-15T20:59:24  *** owowo has quit IRC
561 2019-03-15T20:59:44  <gwillen> actually there is a long sad comment about this above the definition of InterpretBool in system.cpp
562 2019-03-15T21:00:03  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
563 2019-03-15T21:05:08  <promag> o wait for it k
564 2019-03-15T21:05:11  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
565 2019-03-15T21:05:35  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2019-03-15T21:05:46  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2019-03-15T21:18:15  *** promag has quit IRC
568 2019-03-15T21:23:58  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
569 2019-03-15T21:23:58  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2019-03-15T21:36:51  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
571 2019-03-15T21:37:21  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2019-03-15T21:42:10  *** mn9495884 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2019-03-15T21:42:24  *** promag has quit IRC
574 2019-03-15T21:43:27  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
575 2019-03-15T21:45:14  *** mn9495883 has quit IRC
576 2019-03-15T21:45:15  *** mn9495882 has quit IRC
577 2019-03-15T21:46:43  *** mn9495884 has quit IRC
578 2019-03-15T21:52:15  *** jarthur_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2019-03-15T21:54:34  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
580 2019-03-15T21:55:28  *** jarthur has quit IRC
581 2019-03-15T21:57:07  *** jarthur_ has quit IRC
582 2019-03-15T22:01:11  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2019-03-15T22:01:17  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
584 2019-03-15T22:03:28  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
585 2019-03-15T22:04:00  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
586 2019-03-15T22:19:06  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
587 2019-03-15T22:22:13  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
588 2019-03-15T22:22:50  *** spinza has quit IRC
589 2019-03-15T22:23:34  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
590 2019-03-15T22:23:51  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
591 2019-03-15T22:28:54  *** owowo has quit IRC
592 2019-03-15T22:29:13  *** ovovo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
593 2019-03-15T22:32:00  *** mn949588 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2019-03-15T22:32:16  *** mn9495886 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2019-03-15T22:32:40  *** mn9495885 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2019-03-15T22:36:19  *** mn949588 has quit IRC
597 2019-03-15T22:37:13  *** mn9495886 has quit IRC
598 2019-03-15T22:37:46  *** mn9495885 has quit IRC
599 2019-03-15T22:40:43  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
600 2019-03-15T22:42:00  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
601 2019-03-15T22:44:28  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
602 2019-03-15T22:51:44  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
603 2019-03-15T22:56:06  *** jonatack has quit IRC
604 2019-03-15T23:02:52  *** darosior has quit IRC
605 2019-03-15T23:15:32  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
606 2019-03-15T23:26:36  *** mn9495887 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2019-03-15T23:27:02  *** mn9495886 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
608 2019-03-15T23:31:24  *** mn9495886 has quit IRC
609 2019-03-15T23:31:25  *** mn9495887 has quit IRC
610 2019-03-15T23:33:04  *** Makey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
611 2019-03-15T23:33:39  <fanquake> provoostenator no worries
612 2019-03-15T23:33:43  *** Makey has quit IRC
613 2019-03-15T23:47:23  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
614 2019-03-15T23:59:03  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev