1 2019-03-28T00:00:56  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  2 2019-03-28T00:16:14  *** gs has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-03-28T00:27:22  *** promag has quit IRC
  4 2019-03-28T00:27:46  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2019-03-28T00:29:17  *** ctrlbreak_MAD is now known as ctrlbreak
  6 2019-03-28T00:33:51  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2019-03-28T01:00:03  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-03-28T01:01:34  <promag> could #15652 be in high priority?
  9 2019-03-28T01:01:38  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15652 | wallet: Update transactions with current mempool after load by promag · Pull Request #15652 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 10 2019-03-28T01:07:51  *** promag has quit IRC
 11 2019-03-28T01:10:34  <gmaxwell> +1 at a minimum we must ship with a loud warning in the release notes if that isn't fixed.
 12 2019-03-28T01:10:44  <gmaxwell> as incorrect balances can cause funds loss.
 13 2019-03-28T01:11:10  <sipa> it's marked as milestone 0.17.2; i assume that implies also 0.18
 14 2019-03-28T01:14:07  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2019-03-28T01:15:10  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 16 2019-03-28T01:16:01  *** justan0theruser is now known as justanotheruser
 17 2019-03-28T01:16:42  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-03-28T01:23:57  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 19 2019-03-28T01:41:26  *** aitorjs has quit IRC
 20 2019-03-28T01:43:57  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 21 2019-03-28T01:44:33  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-03-28T01:48:42  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 23 2019-03-28T01:56:53  *** farmerwampum__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-03-28T01:59:41  *** farmerwampum_ has quit IRC
 25 2019-03-28T02:14:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2019-03-28T02:16:58  *** e4xit has quit IRC
 27 2019-03-28T02:19:37  *** promag has quit IRC
 28 2019-03-28T02:22:38  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-03-28T02:26:59  *** promag has quit IRC
 30 2019-03-28T02:44:16  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 31 2019-03-28T02:59:27  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-03-28T02:59:34  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 33 2019-03-28T03:03:46  *** promag has quit IRC
 34 2019-03-28T03:28:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-03-28T03:28:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #15681: [mempool] Allow one extra single-ancestor transaction per package (master...2019-03-lightning-policy) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15681
 36 2019-03-28T03:28:22  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-03-28T03:41:29  <cfields> wumpus: fyi, I'm deep in a quagmire of windows codesigning
 38 2019-03-28T03:41:36  <cfields> I'm not sure I'll make it in time for rc3
 39 2019-03-28T03:42:02  <cfields> We now have a valid cert, but it accidentaly went through a reseller, and I'm afraid that messed up the cert chain.
 40 2019-03-28T03:42:23  <cfields> Either that, or my win7 vm doesn't reflect the current reality of trusted root CA's.
 41 2019-03-28T03:42:42  <cfields> So I'm going to need at least another day to straighten this out :(
 42 2019-03-28T03:44:13  <cfields> If anyone has a working win10 install, it'd be helpful to test a signed helloworld.exe to see if the problem is that win7's cert store is just outdated.
 43 2019-03-28T03:45:37  <wumpus> cfields: uh oh
 44 2019-03-28T03:46:06  <cfields> tl;dr: gwillen and jonasschnelli helped to register for a new windows cert. It signs ok and gitian attaches it ok, but my win7 install doesn't like it.
 45 2019-03-28T03:46:41  <wumpus> and no, I don't have any windows (nor mac) anymore to test, but I'm sure someone here has?
 46 2019-03-28T03:48:10  <cfields> wumpus: if you'd like, I can PR the updated cert chain that _may_ work, and we can get feedback from rc3?
 47 2019-03-28T03:48:41  <wumpus> I think that'd make sense, then we can still do rc3 today
 48 2019-03-28T03:48:42  <cfields> the signer uses the .cert file in git, so it'll need to be updated either way.
 49 2019-03-28T03:48:53  <wumpus> I should at least tag it I guess :-)
 50 2019-03-28T03:49:06  <cfields> ok, will do. I think it's pretty unlikely that it'll work, but worth a shot.
 51 2019-03-28T03:49:20  <cfields> I can PR in just a min.
 52 2019-03-28T03:49:47  <wumpus> I'll then mention in the notification mail that the windows cert might have isues
 53 2019-03-28T03:50:03  <wumpus> and we need to get this sorted out for final
 54 2019-03-28T03:50:07  <kallewoof> My coworker has Win 7. Shoudl he try?
 55 2019-03-28T03:50:45  <kallewoof> Another coworker has Win 10 inside a virtual box, if that helps.
 56 2019-03-28T03:50:51  <gmaxwell> just don't sign for windows at all and see who reports it then we will have identified suckers^wtesters for future versions.
 57 2019-03-28T03:50:52  <achow101> cfields: I've got a win10
 58 2019-03-28T03:51:11  <cfields> gmaxwell: heh.
 59 2019-03-28T03:52:01  <cfields> kallewoof / achow101: a win10 test would be great. I believe the issue is that the trusted CA's were updated to cope with Comodo's recent renaming. But I'm really grasping. This is a black box :(
 60 2019-03-28T03:52:21  <kallewoof> cfields: where can I download the fiel-
 61 2019-03-28T03:53:31  <cfields> kallewoof: Since the tag is incoming, I'll just sign rc3 with the new cert. Could you test that? That avoids having random codesigned binaries hanging around.
 62 2019-03-28T03:53:49  <kallewoof> Oh, okay. Sure thing
 63 2019-03-28T03:54:37  <achow101> ok
 64 2019-03-28T03:54:46  <cfields> achow101: ^^ same to you.
 65 2019-03-28T04:02:15  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-03-28T04:02:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] theuni opened pull request #15682: release: Update the Windows Codesigning certificate (master...new-win-cert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15682
 67 2019-03-28T04:02:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-03-28T04:05:04  <cfields> wumpus: sorry for leaving that inconclusive for now. I tried a million things tonight. Will have a look tomorrow with a clear head.
 69 2019-03-28T04:05:26  <cfields> kallewoof / achow101: thanks for volunteering to test :)
 70 2019-03-28T04:06:14  <wumpus> cfields: thanks for trying ! let's blame it on Microsoft for making people navigate such a maze for this
 71 2019-03-28T04:06:50  <cfields> I suspect, even if win7 doesn't have the new trusted CA, that there's a way to make a path with intermediaries. But I didn't have any luck.
 72 2019-03-28T04:08:12  <wumpus> this is at most a bypassable warning isn't it?
 73 2019-03-28T04:08:55  <cfields> Yes
 74 2019-03-28T04:09:11  <wumpus> (not that we should really be encouraging people to ignore warnings about unsigned code, but it's fine for a RC)
 75 2019-03-28T04:09:12  <cfields> But I believe that in its current state it may be no better than nothing.
 76 2019-03-28T04:09:31  <achow101> i'm pretty sure it's a scary looking warning in windows 10 though
 77 2019-03-28T04:09:54  <wumpus> yes, agreew with that, just need to know what to write inthe mail 'it probably doesn't work on w7' or 'it gives wa warning during install' so it's the latter
 78 2019-03-28T04:10:09  <cfields> Worst case I think we can buy a new cert. I believe the problem is that it went through a reseller, though I'm not 100%.
 79 2019-03-28T04:10:56  <cfields> The Comodo rename is really messing with my ability to understand wtf is going on :)
 80 2019-03-28T04:11:28  <cfields> Comodo -> Sectigo, apparently
 81 2019-03-28T04:11:57  <wumpus> did they have a breach or something :-)
 82 2019-03-28T04:12:57  <cfields> Heh, I thought Symantec's breach was bad. I assume you're right. Hard to keep up these days, I guess :)
 83 2019-03-28T04:13:51  <gwillen> I'm happy to pay to try again (and ask comodo for a refund or something) if this fails and there's a better party to buy it from that doesn't have the cert chain issue
 84 2019-03-28T04:14:04  <gwillen> (I doubt I'll get a refund but I can yell at them and it will make me feel better)
 85 2019-03-28T04:14:29  <gmaxwell> is this a case where you just have to staple the CA chain to the cert?
 86 2019-03-28T04:14:47  <cfields> gwillen: Not pinning it on you at all, sorry if it sounded that way. It's all very confusing.
 87 2019-03-28T04:14:56  <gwillen> no, not at all and no worried
 88 2019-03-28T04:14:57  <cfields> gmaxwell: Yes, and in the correct order.
 89 2019-03-28T04:14:59  <gwillen> worries*
 90 2019-03-28T04:16:30  <cfields> gmaxwell: it has to be chained together in the proper order, and it has to end in a trusted CA. And it's not clear who those trusted CA's are.
 91 2019-03-28T04:21:41  <wumpus> ahh like with TLS cert chains, that's also painful sometimes
 92 2019-03-28T04:24:55  <cfields> https://i.imgur.com/opaPhgh.png
 93 2019-03-28T04:25:01  <cfields> ^^ The issue
 94 2019-03-28T04:25:59  <cfields> wumpus: heh, yep, same as the unhelpful apache error when you get the cert order backwards.
 95 2019-03-28T04:40:38  <achow101> cfields: the cert you have is signed by the cert at http://crt.sectigo.com/SectigoRSACodeSigningCA.crt which is signed by the cert at http://crt.sectigo.com/SectigoRSACodeSigningCA.crt which in turn is signed by "http://crt.sectigo.com/SectigoRSACodeSigningCA.crt" which is a trusted root that I see in my windows 10
 96 2019-03-28T04:40:59  <achow101> AddTrust External CA Root is the final root (bad copy paste)
 97 2019-03-28T04:41:16  <cfields> achow101: ah, that seems to be missing in win7!
 98 2019-03-28T04:41:52  <cfields> So maybe it'll work for win10. Ugh, that almost seems worse.
 99 2019-03-28T04:43:40  <achow101> http://crt.usertrust.com/USERTrustRSAAddTrustCA.crt is the second intermediate
100 2019-03-28T04:44:57  <cfields> achow101: the Sectigo CA i don't see in the certificate snap-in via mmc in win7.
101 2019-03-28T04:45:32  <achow101> I don't see it either. so I think we will need to provide the chain for it
102 2019-03-28T04:45:57  <achow101> I got the sectigo CA url from openssl decoding of the cert
103 2019-03-28T04:46:08  <cfields> "http://crt.sectigo.com/SectigoRSACodeSigningCA.crt" which is a trusted root
104 2019-03-28T04:46:35  <achow101> That was supposed to be AddTrust External CA Root. bad copy paste
105 2019-03-28T04:46:45  <cfields> Oh, sure, but does Windows trust it?
106 2019-03-28T04:47:02  <achow101> windows 10 trusts it
107 2019-03-28T04:47:53  <cfields> achow101: If rc3 isn't tagged by tomorrow, I'll re-sign rc2 with this cert and we can mess around with it.
108 2019-03-28T04:48:00  <cfields> Thanks for poking at it :)
109 2019-03-28T04:48:13  <achow101> np
110 2019-03-28T04:58:03  <achow101> cfields: also, that trusted root expires next May, so maybe it isn't the greatest idea to go with them? especially if we need to provide our own CA chain (dunno if we do)
111 2019-03-28T05:08:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-03-28T05:11:18  <achow101> cfields: have you tried updating your win 7 vm? afaict windows update will update the trusted root certificates so you should have the trusted root there
113 2019-03-28T05:12:53  <cfields> achow101: it's a 1 year cert.
114 2019-03-28T05:13:28  *** promag has quit IRC
115 2019-03-28T05:14:01  <cfields> achow101: deliberately no. Very possible that an update may install new certs, but I'm trying to stay as worst-case-scenario for my VM as possible.
116 2019-03-28T05:15:03  <cfields> achow101: ah, I misunderstood about the expiration. Interesting. Ours expires first, though :)
117 2019-03-28T05:15:57  <gwillen> I get testing the worst case scenario but it seems like par for the course that a non-updated install would have certificate problems
118 2019-03-28T05:16:13  <gwillen> especially given the rerooting of comodo
119 2019-03-28T05:18:22  <achow101> ah, I hadn't checked the expiry of our cert
120 2019-03-28T05:33:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-03-28T05:33:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7eab2db849d9...f14a0aa99b84
122 2019-03-28T05:33:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 09a05e8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: qt: Translations update pre-rc3
123 2019-03-28T05:33:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 f14a0aa Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump to rc3
124 2019-03-28T05:33:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2019-03-28T05:33:26  <wumpus> running bitcoin on an unupdated w7 ouch :)
126 2019-03-28T05:38:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-03-28T05:38:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3702e1c17b6c...edb8df4fea13
128 2019-03-28T05:38:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 43ae1e9 Cory Fields: release: Update the Windows Codesigning certificate
129 2019-03-28T05:38:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master edb8df4 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #15682: release: Update the Windows Codesigning certificate
130 2019-03-28T05:38:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-03-28T05:39:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2019-03-28T05:39:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15682: release: Update the Windows Codesigning certificate (master...new-win-cert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15682
133 2019-03-28T05:39:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
134 2019-03-28T05:41:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2019-03-28T05:41:45  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f14a0aa99b84...dcd96b84cf82
136 2019-03-28T05:41:45  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 dcd96b8 Cory Fields: release: Update the Windows Codesigning certificate
137 2019-03-28T05:41:47  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2019-03-28T05:42:00  <wumpus> ok, ready to tag rc3 I think?
139 2019-03-28T05:43:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-03-28T05:43:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/dcd96b84cf82...7bcf90cb01aa
141 2019-03-28T05:43:58  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 7bcf90c Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Update manpages for changes since rc2
142 2019-03-28T05:44:02  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-03-28T06:09:59  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-03-28T06:09:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] murrayn closed pull request #15500: Support for a bitcoind 'ready' file to indicate startup is complete. (master...ready_file) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15500
145 2019-03-28T06:10:00  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-03-28T07:09:59  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-03-28T07:12:53  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
148 2019-03-28T07:13:05  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-03-28T07:14:13  *** promag has quit IRC
150 2019-03-28T07:19:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-03-28T07:19:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Bushstar opened pull request #15683: Comment for seemingly duplicate LIBBITCOIN_SERVER (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15683
152 2019-03-28T07:19:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2019-03-28T08:06:23  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-03-28T08:11:25  *** harrymm has quit IRC
155 2019-03-28T08:19:27  *** e4xit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2019-03-28T08:29:46  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2019-03-28T08:45:58  *** zrc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2019-03-28T08:46:23  *** zrc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-03-28T08:48:30  *** zrc has quit IRC
160 2019-03-28T09:12:03  *** TheRec_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-03-28T09:12:03  *** TheRec_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2019-03-28T09:12:42  *** TheRec has quit IRC
163 2019-03-28T09:20:28  *** spinza has quit IRC
164 2019-03-28T09:26:06  *** TheRec_ has quit IRC
165 2019-03-28T09:27:10  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-03-28T09:28:33  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2019-03-28T09:31:49  *** TheRec has quit IRC
168 2019-03-28T09:54:01  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2019-03-28T09:58:55  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2019-03-28T10:41:26  *** jb55 has quit IRC
171 2019-03-28T10:48:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2019-03-28T10:48:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] luke-jr opened pull request #15684: doc/dependencies: Fix typo libsrvg->librsvg (master...typo_libsrvg) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15684
173 2019-03-28T10:48:07  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-03-28T10:48:47  <luke-jr> wumpus: ^
175 2019-03-28T10:57:34  *** spinza has quit IRC
176 2019-03-28T11:04:29  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
177 2019-03-28T11:08:48  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2019-03-28T11:13:13  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-03-28T11:14:46  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-03-28T11:18:34  *** jonatack has quit IRC
181 2019-03-28T11:27:23  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-03-28T11:40:18  *** achow101 has quit IRC
183 2019-03-28T11:49:54  *** achow101 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2019-03-28T12:05:02  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-03-28T12:08:02  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
186 2019-03-28T12:13:44  *** dlb76 has quit IRC
187 2019-03-28T12:20:55  *** hashist has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
188 2019-03-28T12:33:47  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
189 2019-03-28T12:36:30  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2019-03-28T12:50:40  *** zhangzf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-03-28T12:51:32  *** dlb76 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2019-03-28T12:57:33  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
193 2019-03-28T13:02:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-03-28T13:02:35  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15685: doc: rpc-mining: Clarify error messages (master...1903-docMining) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15685
195 2019-03-28T13:02:36  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2019-03-28T13:05:39  *** profmac has quit IRC
197 2019-03-28T13:17:44  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2019-03-28T13:37:13  *** Emcy has quit IRC
199 2019-03-28T13:39:33  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2019-03-28T13:42:19  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2019-03-28T13:44:14  *** jhfrontz has quit IRC
202 2019-03-28T13:44:55  *** jhfrontz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2019-03-28T13:50:54  *** mn94958854 has quit IRC
204 2019-03-28T13:51:10  *** mn94958855 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-03-28T13:59:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-03-28T14:01:19  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-03-28T14:20:10  *** roconnor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2019-03-28T14:35:48  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-03-28T14:46:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-03-28T14:46:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/edb8df4fea13...32e0428e371e
211 2019-03-28T14:46:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7d01b5c Luke Dashjr: doc/dependencies: Fix typo libsrvg->librsvg
212 2019-03-28T14:46:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 32e0428 MarcoFalke: Merge #15684: doc/dependencies: Fix typo libsrvg->librsvg
213 2019-03-28T14:46:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2019-03-28T14:47:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2019-03-28T14:47:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15684: doc/dependencies: Fix typo libsrvg->librsvg (master...typo_libsrvg) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15684
216 2019-03-28T14:47:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2019-03-28T14:47:48  <luke-jr> BTW, that commit should be a clean merge to 0.18
218 2019-03-28T14:47:52  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke:
219 2019-03-28T14:59:12  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2019-03-28T14:59:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/32e0428e371e...9e7dc682e0f6
221 2019-03-28T14:59:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faad33f MarcoFalke: rpc: Clarify decodescript RPCResult doc
222 2019-03-28T14:59:13  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa3caa1 MarcoFalke: rpc: decodescript use IsValidNumArgs over hardcoded check
223 2019-03-28T14:59:13  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa926ec MarcoFalke: rpc: Mention all output types in decodescript doc
224 2019-03-28T14:59:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2019-03-28T14:59:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2019-03-28T14:59:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15616: rpc: Clarify decodescript RPCResult doc (master...1903-rpcDocDecodeS) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15616
227 2019-03-28T14:59:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2019-03-28T15:01:13  *** andcoisqu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2019-03-28T15:01:16  *** Kevslinger0 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
230 2019-03-28T15:01:16  <Kevslinger0> Bored? Call the official freenode IRC partyline at +4521137886
231 2019-03-28T15:01:31  *** gernot26 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2019-03-28T15:01:31  <gernot26> Bored? Call the official freenode IRC partyline at +4521137886
233 2019-03-28T15:01:33  *** hugo127 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2019-03-28T15:01:34  <hugo127> Bored? Call the official freenode IRC partyline at +4521137886
235 2019-03-28T15:01:39  *** ChanServ sets mode: +o luke-jr
236 2019-03-28T15:01:42  *** hugo127 was kicked by luke-jr (User terminated!)
237 2019-03-28T15:01:44  *** gernot26 was kicked by luke-jr (User terminated!)
238 2019-03-28T15:01:47  *** Kevslinger0 was kicked by luke-jr (User terminated!)
239 2019-03-28T15:01:52  *** luke-jr sets mode: +r 
240 2019-03-28T15:01:54  *** luke-jr sets mode: -r 
241 2019-03-28T15:02:00  *** Squidicuz has quit IRC
242 2019-03-28T15:02:12  *** Squidicuz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2019-03-28T15:02:49  *** dcxk24 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2019-03-28T15:02:50  <dcxk24> Bored? Call the official freenode IRC partyline at +4521137886
245 2019-03-28T15:02:52  *** dcxk24 has quit IRC
246 2019-03-28T15:03:10  *** luke-jr sets mode: +q $~a
247 2019-03-28T15:03:29  <luke-jr> (probably should remember to undo that before the meeting)
248 2019-03-28T15:03:33  *** Kim17 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2019-03-28T15:03:57  *** internetworm has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2019-03-28T15:04:03  <internetworm> spams here?
251 2019-03-28T15:04:05  *** nkuttler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2019-03-28T15:04:35  <luke-jr> internetworm: yeah, I silenced it for now
253 2019-03-28T15:06:25  *** mn9495881 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2019-03-28T15:09:26  *** koshii19 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-03-28T15:12:12  *** promag has quit IRC
256 2019-03-28T15:12:16  *** BrainDamage13 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2019-03-28T15:12:38  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
258 2019-03-28T15:12:48  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2019-03-28T15:12:52  *** BrainDamage13 has quit IRC
260 2019-03-28T15:16:26  <MarcoFalke> Shall we pull in the current release notes for rc3?
261 2019-03-28T15:16:43  <MarcoFalke> The release notes in the branch are neither empty nor up-to-date iwth the branch
262 2019-03-28T15:16:53  <MarcoFalke> Some people link to those in the branch
263 2019-03-28T15:20:46  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-03-28T15:23:21  *** rkukura26 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-03-28T15:24:28  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
266 2019-03-28T15:27:43  *** SilverXcrosS has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2019-03-28T15:28:42  *** SilverXcrosS has quit IRC
268 2019-03-28T15:47:12  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-03-28T15:47:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl closed pull request #15671: net: Don't return unreachable local addresses for peer (master...2019-03-fix-getlocal) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15671
270 2019-03-28T15:47:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2019-03-28T15:48:35  *** hashist has left #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2019-03-28T15:50:26  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-03-28T15:51:52  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
274 2019-03-28T15:52:22  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-03-28T15:57:19  <internetworm> luke-jr: as expected thanks
276 2019-03-28T16:11:20  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2019-03-28T16:12:42  *** jungly has quit IRC
278 2019-03-28T16:14:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-03-28T16:14:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #15686: [tests] make pruning test faster (master...2019_03_faster_pruning_test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15686
280 2019-03-28T16:14:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-03-28T16:15:26  *** jubalh23 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2019-03-28T16:23:25  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2019-03-28T16:28:15  *** zhangzf has quit IRC
284 2019-03-28T16:38:55  *** sysrqb_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2019-03-28T16:39:18  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-03-28T16:39:24  *** sysrqb_ has quit IRC
287 2019-03-28T16:49:43  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2019-03-28T16:53:40  *** omonk has quit IRC
289 2019-03-28T16:54:32  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-03-28T17:04:32  *** anthony4 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-03-28T17:05:10  *** apollo1314 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2019-03-28T17:08:01  *** emberquill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2019-03-28T17:08:32  *** emberquill has quit IRC
294 2019-03-28T17:16:21  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2019-03-28T17:16:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
296 2019-03-28T17:16:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] instagibbs closed pull request #15547: Switch wallet default to reject too-long transaction chains for mempool (master...walletreject_true) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15547
297 2019-03-28T17:16:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-03-28T17:22:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
299 2019-03-28T17:22:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonatack opened pull request #15687: test: tool wallet test coverage for unexpected writes to wallet (master...tool-wallet-tests-for-unexpected-writes-to-wallet-file) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15687
300 2019-03-28T17:22:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2019-03-28T17:27:00  *** setpill has quit IRC
302 2019-03-28T17:30:20  *** kstar25 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2019-03-28T17:30:47  *** kstar25 has quit IRC
304 2019-03-28T17:38:09  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
305 2019-03-28T17:41:42  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
306 2019-03-28T17:44:49  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-03-28T17:47:42  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
308 2019-03-28T17:53:56  *** lichenx1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-03-28T17:56:21  *** jonatack has quit IRC
310 2019-03-28T17:57:07  *** hebasto has quit IRC
311 2019-03-28T17:59:19  <dongcarl> Hi all, struggling with the specification of IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses. According to section 2.5.5.2 of RFC 4291 and section 4.2 of RFC 4038 the prefix is ::ffff:/96, but in section 2.2 of RFC 5156 it says that it is ::ffff:0:0/96. And it would seem our code says it is ::ffff:0/96 and says it'ss RFC6145?
312 2019-03-28T18:05:24  <sipa> dongcarl: are you perhaps confused by the ipv6 notation? the number of bits between two colons is 16
313 2019-03-28T18:05:49  <sipa> so it should be ::ffff:0:0/96
314 2019-03-28T18:06:02  <sipa> anything that doesn't end in two 0s at the end makes no sense
315 2019-03-28T18:06:09  <sipa> for a /96
316 2019-03-28T18:06:12  <gwillen> dongcarl: I think the two RFC notations you give are meant to be equivalent
317 2019-03-28T18:06:38  <gwillen> it is typical to write a v4-in-v6 address as ::ffff:123.45.67.89
318 2019-03-28T18:07:11  <gwillen> it's not crazy to express the prefix as either ::ffff:/96 or ::ffff:0:0/96 depending on how you think about it
319 2019-03-28T18:07:27  <gwillen> the former is not really correct but I can see why you'd notate it like that
320 2019-03-28T18:09:20  *** roflin9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2019-03-28T18:21:37  *** crrod has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2019-03-28T18:24:30  *** crrod has quit IRC
323 2019-03-28T18:28:35  <dongcarl> Ah I'm wrong
324 2019-03-28T18:29:12  <dongcarl> But wouldn't this mean that https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/9e7dc682e0f64d48222a1d84fccc279d2f4b3d7d/src/netaddress.cpp#L169 is wrong?
325 2019-03-28T18:29:22  <dongcarl> It seems to want to enforce an extra :0: at the end
326 2019-03-28T18:33:38  <sipa> dongcarl: i think rfc6145 may be for something else
327 2019-03-28T18:33:56  <sipa> ipv4-mapped addresses are tested for by IsIPv4
328 2019-03-28T18:35:23  <sipa> dongcarl: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses
329 2019-03-28T18:35:31  <dongcarl> sipa: Right right.
330 2019-03-28T18:35:36  <sipa> ipv4 mapped addresses vs ipv4 translated addresses
331 2019-03-28T18:36:47  <dongcarl> ah, so there's ipv4 mapped addresses, ipv4 translated addresses, 6to4, and IPv4-embedded IPv6 addresses......
332 2019-03-28T18:41:24  *** captjakk has quit IRC
333 2019-03-28T18:50:52  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-03-28T18:54:29  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2019-03-28T18:56:45  <jonasschnelli> sipa: re ChaCha20. Do you mean duplicating the whole chacha function and do the XOR part in the duplicated function ... or ...
336 2019-03-28T18:56:53  <sipa> jonasschnelli: yes
337 2019-03-28T18:56:58  <jonasschnelli> create a new function that uses the old keystream output and XORing in the new one?
338 2019-03-28T18:57:04  *** Aido8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2019-03-28T18:57:16  <jonasschnelli> okay.
340 2019-03-28T18:57:27  *** Aido8 has quit IRC
341 2019-03-28T18:57:38  *** Solak8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
342 2019-03-28T18:58:49  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: I think we should only pull in release notes from the wiki before final
343 2019-03-28T18:59:24  <wumpus> anything else makes the situation more comple
344 2019-03-28T18:59:59  <wumpus> if people link the release notes on the branch, that's simply wrong, I take care to link the right ones in all announcements
345 2019-03-28T19:00:19  <sipa> i think for the period during which the notes are being edited on the wiki, the version on the branch should be wiped and replaced with a link to the wiki
346 2019-03-28T19:00:35  <wumpus> sounds good, please add that to the release process so we can do that for next release
347 2019-03-28T19:00:59  <wumpus> I was also about to propose that, it's IMO too late to bother with that now
348 2019-03-28T19:01:36  <wumpus> #startmeeting
349 2019-03-28T19:01:36  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Mar 28 19:01:36 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
350 2019-03-28T19:01:36  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
351 2019-03-28T19:01:45  <jnewbery> hello!
352 2019-03-28T19:01:48  <midnightmagic> hello!
353 2019-03-28T19:02:04  <moneyball> hi
354 2019-03-28T19:02:09  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
355 2019-03-28T19:02:14  <cfields> hi
356 2019-03-28T19:02:17  <jonasschnelli> hi
357 2019-03-28T19:02:21  <sipa> wumpus: agree
358 2019-03-28T19:02:24  <achow101> hi\
359 2019-03-28T19:02:26  <wumpus> we should probably tag rc
360 2019-03-28T19:02:29  <wumpus> rc3
361 2019-03-28T19:02:29  <moneyball> we have 1 proposed topic! topic proposed by gmaxwell: Bech32 support shipped first in Bitcoin Core in Feb 2018, more than a year ago. We should consider making an announcement that Bitcoin Core intends to change the default addresstype from p2sh-segwit to bech32 in 0.19 or 0.20.
362 2019-03-28T19:02:36  <wumpus> moneyball: thanks!
363 2019-03-28T19:02:41  <instagibbs> oi
364 2019-03-28T19:03:45  <wumpus> any other last-minute topic proposals?
365 2019-03-28T19:03:53  <phantomcircuit> hi
366 2019-03-28T19:03:54  *** promag has quit IRC
367 2019-03-28T19:04:07  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
368 2019-03-28T19:04:32  <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
369 2019-03-28T19:04:33  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
370 2019-03-28T19:05:26  <MarcoFalke> Fine with rc3 to test the win-sig
371 2019-03-28T19:05:39  <MarcoFalke> Thogh, there needs to be an rc4 for the wallet-mempool bug
372 2019-03-28T19:05:43  <wumpus> six things on there right now, anything to add/remove?
373 2019-03-28T19:05:57  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: is there a PR for that?
374 2019-03-28T19:06:07  <MarcoFalke> yeah the one from promag
375 2019-03-28T19:06:17  <MarcoFalke> It should be in high-priority already ...
376 2019-03-28T19:06:24  <wumpus> ehm, why isn't it labaled 0.18.0 anymore
377 2019-03-28T19:06:42  <harding> Somebody said earlier that it was labeled 0.17.2
378 2019-03-28T19:06:52  <wumpus> that's not good
379 2019-03-28T19:06:58  <MarcoFalke> #15652
380 2019-03-28T19:07:01  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15652 | wallet: Update transactions with current mempool after load by promag · Pull Request #15652 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
381 2019-03-28T19:07:08  <MarcoFalke> The bug is labeled 0.18.0
382 2019-03-28T19:07:09  *** owowo has quit IRC
383 2019-03-28T19:07:18  <MarcoFalke> But it needs to be fixed in 17 as well
384 2019-03-28T19:07:26  <wumpus> please keep things labeled 0.18.0 for the release now, otherwise it's confusing
385 2019-03-28T19:07:34  <MarcoFalke> Ok
386 2019-03-28T19:07:42  <wumpus> I don't think 17.2 is planned any time soon
387 2019-03-28T19:07:57  *** bookworm2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
388 2019-03-28T19:08:09  <wumpus> but fine let's hold up the RC for that
389 2019-03-28T19:08:25  *** bookworm2 has quit IRC
390 2019-03-28T19:09:09  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: It will take another day or so to get reviewed
391 2019-03-28T19:09:15  <MarcoFalke> Maybe until monday
392 2019-03-28T19:09:23  <wumpus> that's ok
393 2019-03-28T19:09:32  <MarcoFalke> The windows sigs need testing, though
394 2019-03-28T19:09:39  <wumpus> if it's urgent enough to hold upthe relesaer, it should hold up the release
395 2019-03-28T19:10:08  <cfields> I could create and sign a helloworld.exe for testing if everyone is ok with that.
396 2019-03-28T19:10:21  <wumpus> cfields: sounds good to me
397 2019-03-28T19:10:22  <achow101> to test the windows sig, just resign rc2?
398 2019-03-28T19:10:37  <wumpus> I think doing a distributed rc build is overkill just to test a signature
399 2019-03-28T19:10:51  <wumpus> at least *if* the rc is a dead end otherwise
400 2019-03-28T19:11:04  <MarcoFalke> achow101: You mean without a gitian build?
401 2019-03-28T19:11:20  <cfields> achow101: I'd rather not have different versions of an rc floating around.
402 2019-03-28T19:11:24  <wumpus> if it would be a possible -final apart rom the signature test it'd have made sense
403 2019-03-28T19:11:24  <MarcoFalke> gitian build with sig wouldn't work for rc2, if I understand correctly
404 2019-03-28T19:11:57  *** promag has quit IRC
405 2019-03-28T19:12:02  <cfields> MarcoFalke: yeah, it'd have to be stitched together manually.
406 2019-03-28T19:12:13  <wumpus> I had forgotten about #15652 because it was moved off the milestone
407 2019-03-28T19:12:16  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15652 | wallet: Update transactions with current mempool after load by promag · Pull Request #15652 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
408 2019-03-28T19:12:18  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
409 2019-03-28T19:12:29  <achow101> oh right, gitian build wouldn't work
410 2019-03-28T19:12:52  <cfields> helloworld.exe is trivial. I'll just do that.
411 2019-03-28T19:12:58  <wumpus> thank you
412 2019-03-28T19:13:06  <MarcoFalke> ok, sounds good to me
413 2019-03-28T19:13:09  <achow101> ack
414 2019-03-28T19:13:17  *** tgummerer7 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
415 2019-03-28T19:13:25  <MarcoFalke> So we have two pulls to merge for rc3
416 2019-03-28T19:13:32  <MarcoFalke> And one issue to discuss: #15665
417 2019-03-28T19:13:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15665 | 0.18.0 rc2 CPU spike in thread bitcoin-opencon · Issue #15665 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
418 2019-03-28T19:13:42  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
419 2019-03-28T19:13:43  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
420 2019-03-28T19:13:49  <MarcoFalke> Some while(true) loop again?
421 2019-03-28T19:14:20  <sipa> that sounds related to some of the changes we made
422 2019-03-28T19:14:20  <cfields> the peer selection was just reworked a bunch, no?
423 2019-03-28T19:14:21  <wumpus> two pulls?
424 2019-03-28T19:14:23  <sipa> sigh
425 2019-03-28T19:14:36  <sipa> i'll have a look at that
426 2019-03-28T19:14:41  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/35
427 2019-03-28T19:14:43  <wumpus> #topic CPU spike in thread
428 2019-03-28T19:14:59  <MarcoFalke> > htop is telling me bitcoin-opencon is responsible. Peers are neither added or dropped coinciding with the CPU spike
429 2019-03-28T19:15:04  <wumpus> sorry, haven't been paying much attention, my personal life is hell right no
430 2019-03-28T19:15:12  <sipa> don't think there's much to discuss; just a report of a regression that sounds like it may be caused by changes in 0.18
431 2019-03-28T19:15:21  <cfields> sipa: out of curiosity, why not push the selection algorithm into addrman? That'd make it much easier to test, no?
432 2019-03-28T19:15:22  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: Sorry to hear that
433 2019-03-28T19:15:27  *** commander8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
434 2019-03-28T19:15:53  <sdaftuar> sipa: are you thinking of the addrman tried collision bugfix PR?
435 2019-03-28T19:16:03  <sipa> sdaftuar: possibly
436 2019-03-28T19:16:04  <cfields> wumpus: Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
437 2019-03-28T19:16:05  <sdaftuar> i can take a look as well
438 2019-03-28T19:17:14  <wumpus> cfields: thanks!
439 2019-03-28T19:18:28  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
440 2019-03-28T19:18:43  <wumpus> if it's a regression for 0.18 then yes, it makes sense to try to fix it before the release of 0.18.0
441 2019-03-28T19:19:19  <wumpus> if not, it's still good to fix it but no need to block rcs
442 2019-03-28T19:19:50  <wumpus> #topic bech32 as default address type in 0.19 or 0.20 (gmaxwell)
443 2019-03-28T19:20:09  <gmaxwell> Hi
444 2019-03-28T19:20:25  <gmaxwell> There is now an issue that encapsulates a lot of the discussion.
445 2019-03-28T19:20:36  <achow101> what about making the address type part of the wallet and not a startup option?
446 2019-03-28T19:20:56  <moneyball> #15560
447 2019-03-28T19:20:57  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15560 | When to make bech32 the default -addresstype? · Issue #15560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
448 2019-03-28T19:20:59  <wumpus> which issue?
449 2019-03-28T19:21:02  <wumpus> okay
450 2019-03-28T19:21:18  <moneyball> Optech is doing a number of things to help here, as outlined in that PR
451 2019-03-28T19:21:21  <gmaxwell> achow101: we should be really cautious about incorrectly giving the impression that you have to decide wallet wide, (like electrum does)...
452 2019-03-28T19:22:32  <moneyball> I agree with the intention of the PR, and if we collect enough data before v0.19 is cut, we could potentially demonstrate that a sufficient portion of the ecosystem supports bech32 sends that it would be pretty uncontroversial to do.
453 2019-03-28T19:22:38  <gmaxwell> In any case, I think we obviously want to make bc1x addresses the default at some point.
454 2019-03-28T19:22:54  <gmaxwell> I think it would be helpful to the industry to announce in advance when we're doing to do that.
455 2019-03-28T19:23:15  <gmaxwell> in related news, gemini is now defaulting to handing now bc1x addresses as new addresses.
456 2019-03-28T19:23:27  <moneyball> and BitGo announced yesterday too
457 2019-03-28T19:23:46  <moneyball> We might have data in say, 2-3 months, which would help the Core project to determine whether to announce it will be default in v0.19 or v0.20. Are folks ok waiting for that?
458 2019-03-28T19:24:03  <gmaxwell> which I believe is the first (or at least one of the first) major services doing that... and makes me feel much more comfortable that 0.19 would be a good target (instead of 0.20)
459 2019-03-28T19:24:52  *** Bent09 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
460 2019-03-28T19:25:02  <cfields> How many known stragglers are there?
461 2019-03-28T19:25:03  <achow101> gmaxwell: why would it not be wallet wide? (maybe I'm misunderstanding you)
462 2019-03-28T19:25:13  <gmaxwell> Data is good but also we wouldn't want to be circular.  The languishing with no schedule to change the default has been contributing to lack of support.
463 2019-03-28T19:25:24  *** Bent09 has quit IRC
464 2019-03-28T19:25:26  <gmaxwell> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bech32_adoption
465 2019-03-28T19:25:36  <sipa> well we mostly care about ability to send to bech32
466 2019-03-28T19:25:39  <gmaxwell> (I'm sure thats not completely current)
467 2019-03-28T19:25:47  *** captjakk has quit IRC
468 2019-03-28T19:25:56  <gmaxwell> Things like ledger's wallet cannot.
469 2019-03-28T19:26:11  <moneyball> data also here https://whensegwit.com
470 2019-03-28T19:26:50  <gmaxwell> I'm concerned that we're erroring a little too strongly towards total compatiblity, which is causing industry participants to make an economically rational decision to ignore updating their bitcoin support in favor of supporting more altcoins.
471 2019-03-28T19:27:01  *** andcoisqu has quit IRC
472 2019-03-28T19:27:04  <gmaxwell> (I can privately discuss some parties that have told me this outright)
473 2019-03-28T19:27:25  <gmaxwell> sipa: yes, thats the only thing to actually care about.
474 2019-03-28T19:27:41  <sipa> we wouldn't move to bech32-only in any case, so the question isn't nearly as strong as for electrum (which afaik needs either fully bech32 or not at all)
475 2019-03-28T19:27:47  <gmaxwell> achow101: in electrum when you make a segwit wallet it is essentially bc1x only.
476 2019-03-28T19:28:06  <gmaxwell> achow101: we wouldn't want to create an impression that we work that way too.
477 2019-03-28T19:28:35  <gmaxwell> The difference in making a default is that users will splat into invalid address messages sometimes and need to go hit a button to get a compatiblity address.
478 2019-03-28T19:29:00  <wumpus> right, the only risk is that we'd switch to bech32 addresses by default while there's still wallets in common use that can't send to them, that would be kind of bad though as the UI allows for generating different address types, also not uncircumventable
479 2019-03-28T19:29:20  <wumpus> but it needs to be documented well at least...
480 2019-03-28T19:30:03  <gmaxwell> And I think we've reached a point in deployment now where most things that don't support it are going to continue to not support it, (and instead spend efforts adding more altcoins) unless there is a bit more of a push. But more probably is just making their shortcomings more visible by changing defaults.
481 2019-03-28T19:30:12  <wumpus> in any case, planning this for 0.20 (potentially moved backward to 0.19) sounds fine to me
482 2019-03-28T19:30:25  <gmaxwell> Regardless of that: at some point we want to change, for sure, and we should establish in advance when we're going to do it.
483 2019-03-28T19:30:30  <wumpus> yes
484 2019-03-28T19:30:33  <sipa> agreed
485 2019-03-28T19:30:44  <sipa> the left column which is mostly green on https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bech32_adoption is pretty encouraging
486 2019-03-28T19:30:47  <gmaxwell> wumpus: sounds good to me. So right now we'll do it in .20 and potentially .19.
487 2019-03-28T19:30:56  <wumpus> gmaxwell: exactly
488 2019-03-28T19:31:45  <instagibbs> any way we could signal "deprecation" in the software for .19?
489 2019-03-28T19:31:51  <instagibbs> i can't think of any, just wondering aloud
490 2019-03-28T19:32:00  <wumpus> instagibbs: that's a good idea
491 2019-03-28T19:32:01  <achow101> with descriptor wallets I'm not sure how we would support choosing different address types
492 2019-03-28T19:32:08  <gmaxwell> instagibbs: really the default change is the deprecation.
493 2019-03-28T19:32:09  <moneyball> gmaxwell: i do hope optech's 24 weeks of bech32 in our newsletter as well as our personal outreach to many services will have an impact on this in 2019. no guarantees but i think we might move the needle a bit.
494 2019-03-28T19:32:15  <instagibbs> gmaxwell, yeah true :)
495 2019-03-28T19:32:22  <achow101> since a descriptor is what we use as "the keypool" and descriptor specify the type
496 2019-03-28T19:32:23  <wumpus> eh yes  what gmaxwell says
497 2019-03-28T19:32:28  <wumpus> deprecation is for *removing* features
498 2019-03-28T19:32:33  <wumpus> this is a default change
499 2019-03-28T19:32:37  <wumpus> it just needs to be announced well
500 2019-03-28T19:32:43  <sipa> achow101: you'd have a descriptor record per address type
501 2019-03-28T19:32:58  <instagibbs> it's an imperfect analogy, announce during 0.18 release, switch for 0.19 fine by me
502 2019-03-28T19:32:59  *** Kvaciral has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
503 2019-03-28T19:33:11  <gmaxwell> I was about to say we don't have any intent to remove getting compat addresses, but achow points out that they're actually hard to universally support in a descriptor only wallet... so thats another reason to make the switch sooner rather than later too.
504 2019-03-28T19:33:32  <gmaxwell> instagibbs: we can announce now ish that we'll default to it in .20 and potentially also .19.
505 2019-03-28T19:34:07  <moneyball> announcing now will allow Optech to amplify that announcement too
506 2019-03-28T19:34:09  <achow101> sipa: that's a bit incompatible with things like sethdseed. and I don't think we would want to have 3 records that refer to the same seed
507 2019-03-28T19:34:18  *** sakalli__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2019-03-28T19:34:25  <sipa> achow101: "sethdseed" has no meaning in a descriptor wallet
509 2019-03-28T19:35:00  <sipa> achow101: that's a discussion for another topic i think
510 2019-03-28T19:35:07  <achow101> ok
511 2019-03-28T19:35:07  <sipa> but i don't think there is much of a problem
512 2019-03-28T19:35:19  <wumpus> please, don't announce dropping support for old-style addresses (at whatever point), I expect this to cause major upheaval and it's not relevant to this
513 2019-03-28T19:35:22  <gmaxwell> (and to make it clear, I don't fault parties that have been allocating their time elsewhere, they need to make whatever is the best business decisions for them... but by the same token, we shouldn't wait forever to hit 0% disruption)
514 2019-03-28T19:36:03  <moneyball> wumpus: to be clear, that is not Optech's plan! our best practices guidance is to continue supporting legacy addresses
515 2019-03-28T19:36:19  <gmaxwell> Yeah, to be clear we have no plans to drop support for compatiblity addresses. I was only going to say that we even had no reason to ever consider that, but achow did give a reason why we might someday want to, at least in some contexts.
516 2019-03-28T19:36:20  <wumpus> moneyball: good to know
517 2019-03-28T19:36:44  <moneyball> this is a summary of our guidance https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15560#issuecomment-471690972
518 2019-03-28T19:36:45  *** sakalli__ has quit IRC
519 2019-03-28T19:37:16  <gmaxwell> (and by drop support, I mean not generating in some new wallet types, no one has ever suggested a reason to drop being able to send to.)
520 2019-03-28T19:37:28  *** dviola has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
521 2019-03-28T19:37:38  <wumpus> right, that would be like what electrum has already done
522 2019-03-28T19:37:44  <gmaxwell> right.
523 2019-03-28T19:38:30  <wumpus> any other prposed topics?
524 2019-03-28T19:39:21  <kanzure> minor mailing list updates. warren is the sole person handling that at this point. also i noticed that like 1200 users were mass unsubscribed this morning, dunno why.
525 2019-03-28T19:39:33  *** lemmi4 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
526 2019-03-28T19:39:42  <gmaxwell> aside, I'm not seeing this cpu spike.
527 2019-03-28T19:39:47  *** lemmi4 has quit IRC
528 2019-03-28T19:40:41  <gwillen> kanzure: any obvious pattern in the mass unsubscription? (All gmail users, all non-gmail users, all people with names starting with A?)
529 2019-03-28T19:40:50  <wumpus> gmaxwell: haven't noticed it either, maybe it's something that happens if there's no results like a previous time
530 2019-03-28T19:41:03  <gmaxwell> wumpus: or if your addrman is mostly empty.
531 2019-03-28T19:41:08  <wumpus> right
532 2019-03-28T19:41:18  <kanzure> gwillen: definitely a lot of yahoo
533 2019-03-28T19:41:43  <wumpus> #topic mailing list issues
534 2019-03-28T19:42:03  <kanzure> i've give my update
535 2019-03-28T19:42:09  <kanzure> i'd like warren to start cc'ing me on communication with linuxfoundation
536 2019-03-28T19:42:14  <wumpus> thanks!
537 2019-03-28T19:42:14  <gmaxwell> I unsubbed recently of my own volition, not an example of some kind of automated screwup.
538 2019-03-28T19:42:18  <kanzure> or if not me then someone else
539 2019-03-28T19:42:28  <gmaxwell> single threading things through one person is not a good idea for sure.
540 2019-03-28T19:43:21  <kanzure> s/give/given
541 2019-03-28T19:43:27  <gmaxwell> I've always made a point of CCing other people (usually wumpus and sipa) anytime I communicated something 'for bitcoin core project', even dumb stuff like lame whining at people for idiotic tweets.  ... just so if I drop off the face of the earth someone has context.
542 2019-03-28T19:43:42  <gmaxwell> (or BCCing)
543 2019-03-28T19:43:44  <wumpus> yes, that makes sense
544 2019-03-28T19:44:08  *** anto8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
545 2019-03-28T19:44:14  <gmaxwell> +1 on mailing list stuff being CC/BCC to kanzure, perhaps wumpus too if just to collect info.
546 2019-03-28T19:44:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
547 2019-03-28T19:44:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #15689: netaddress: Update CNetAddr for ORCHIDv2 (master...2019-03-account-for-orchidv2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15689
548 2019-03-28T19:44:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2019-03-28T19:44:34  *** anto8 has quit IRC
550 2019-03-28T19:44:47  <wumpus> good, any other topics?
551 2019-03-28T19:45:49  <wumpus> thanks everyone
552 2019-03-28T19:45:51  <wumpus> #endmeeting
553 2019-03-28T19:45:51  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Mar 28 19:45:51 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
554 2019-03-28T19:45:51  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-28-19.01.html
555 2019-03-28T19:45:51  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-28-19.01.txt
556 2019-03-28T19:45:51  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-03-28-19.01.log.html
557 2019-03-28T19:45:55  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
558 2019-03-28T19:46:25  <cfields> hello-signed.exe: https://ufile.io/2vnl6
559 2019-03-28T19:46:27  <cfields> 52665dec47f3c004b63aa6d4e8cf4d9e5139242108a81112eb88854740fae43b  hello-signed.exe
560 2019-03-28T19:46:40  <wumpus> ^^ please help testing if you're using windows 7 to 10
561 2019-03-28T19:46:41  <cfields> Sorry for the shitty uploader host, I don't have anything handy.
562 2019-03-28T19:47:03  * jonasschnelli starting up windows...
563 2019-03-28T19:47:17  <wumpus> I'll upload it to mine
564 2019-03-28T19:47:30  <cfields> wumpus: thanks, I was hoping that would happen :)
565 2019-03-28T19:50:25  <wumpus> https://download.visucore.com/tmp/hello-signed.exe
566 2019-03-28T19:52:08  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
567 2019-03-28T19:55:02  <jonasschnelli> cfields: the hello-world app runs perfect on my Win7
568 2019-03-28T19:55:04  <jonasschnelli> No warning or such
569 2019-03-28T19:55:58  *** muelleme has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2019-03-28T19:57:05  <jonasschnelli> Runs also smooth on Win8.1 and Win10.
571 2019-03-28T19:57:25  <jonasschnelli> "Digital Signature" shows "Bitcoin Core Code Signing Association"... Digest is sha1
572 2019-03-28T19:57:37  <jonasschnelli> Looks good at my end
573 2019-03-28T19:57:38  <cfields> jonasschnelli: right-click .exe -> properties -> digital signatures -> details -> (30sec freeze) -> "root cert not trusted"
574 2019-03-28T19:57:55  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: thanks for testing!
575 2019-03-28T19:58:25  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
576 2019-03-28T19:59:37  <jonasschnelli> cfields: https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/dsu26.png
577 2019-03-28T19:59:56  <cfields> jonasschnelli: bingo!
578 2019-03-28T19:59:59  <cfields> Thanks!
579 2019-03-28T20:00:03  <jonasschnelli> We should have used a more formal global email :)
580 2019-03-28T20:00:30  <cfields> It didn't show in the last cert, I didn't think it would this time either :\
581 2019-03-28T20:00:31  <jonasschnelli> (we can switch the email when the cert expires in 1yr)
582 2019-03-28T20:00:45  <jonasschnelli> no worries...
583 2019-03-28T20:01:05  <cfields> jonasschnelli: thanks again for testing. Looks like the only problem is my un-updated Win7 install.
584 2019-03-28T20:01:26  <jonasschnelli> Should I do the right click thing on my Win7?
585 2019-03-28T20:01:37  <cfields> Oh, yes please. I thought that was.
586 2019-03-28T20:01:38  <jonasschnelli> Its a system I haven't run at least for 8month.
587 2019-03-28T20:01:48  * jonasschnelli running Win7
588 2019-03-28T20:02:11  *** beingjohnm18 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
589 2019-03-28T20:02:45  *** tryphe has quit IRC
590 2019-03-28T20:02:57  <jonasschnelli> Windows 7 tells me its "build 7601"... if that helps
591 2019-03-28T20:03:14  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
592 2019-03-28T20:03:21  <jonasschnelli> clicking on details gives me the freeze
593 2019-03-28T20:03:34  <jonasschnelli> But then it shows it...
594 2019-03-28T20:03:52  <jonasschnelli> Yeah.. seams to be a old, unknown CA
595 2019-03-28T20:04:45  <jonasschnelli> I think its fine for an rc
596 2019-03-28T20:04:52  <achow101> cfields: looks fine on win10 too
597 2019-03-28T20:04:53  <jonasschnelli> Lets see if there are complains...
598 2019-03-28T20:05:32  <jonasschnelli> Maybe fixable by upgrading win7?
599 2019-03-28T20:05:59  <cfields> https://i.imgur.com/lRLhhDb.png is what I was seeing.
600 2019-03-28T20:06:16  <cfields> So yes, looks all good to me!
601 2019-03-28T20:07:38  <cfields> achow101: thanks for testing.
602 2019-03-28T20:09:02  <cfields> also, thanks for running my wallet-stealer :p
603 2019-03-28T20:09:43  <jonasschnelli> cfields: hehe... good lock with 1.34 testnet coins. :)
604 2019-03-28T20:09:46  <jonasschnelli> *luck
605 2019-03-28T20:27:46  *** promag has quit IRC
606 2019-03-28T20:32:04  *** Jeroen5221 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2019-03-28T20:32:27  *** Jeroen5221 has quit IRC
608 2019-03-28T20:38:32  *** andcoisqu has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
609 2019-03-28T20:45:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
610 2019-03-28T21:00:28  *** tryphe has quit IRC
611 2019-03-28T21:00:56  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
612 2019-03-28T21:03:12  *** jnewbery has quit IRC
613 2019-03-28T21:08:31  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2019-03-28T21:12:46  *** hebasto has quit IRC
615 2019-03-28T21:15:27  *** Jikai has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
616 2019-03-28T21:16:16  *** href has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
617 2019-03-28T21:18:17  *** glenfe19 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
618 2019-03-28T21:19:45  *** captjakk has quit IRC
619 2019-03-28T21:25:36  *** hjudt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
620 2019-03-28T21:26:47  *** timothy has quit IRC
621 2019-03-28T21:35:03  *** daniel_sg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2019-03-28T21:35:58  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
623 2019-03-28T21:37:50  *** ggherdov4 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
624 2019-03-28T21:38:14  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
625 2019-03-28T21:38:31  *** ggherdov4 has quit IRC
626 2019-03-28T21:39:41  *** kalikiana16 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
627 2019-03-28T21:45:28  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
628 2019-03-28T21:55:28  *** Shawn|i3-350M has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
629 2019-03-28T22:07:12  <MarcoFalke> sig also worked for me on a win7 vm
630 2019-03-28T22:10:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
631 2019-03-28T22:10:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15691: 0.18: rc3 backports (0.18...1904-18B) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15691
632 2019-03-28T22:10:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2019-03-28T22:18:13  *** jmosco3 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2019-03-28T22:20:21  *** arubi has quit IRC
635 2019-03-28T22:25:32  *** hunboy9 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
636 2019-03-28T22:25:42  *** Soligor_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
637 2019-03-28T22:25:49  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2019-03-28T22:25:55  *** hunboy9 has quit IRC
639 2019-03-28T22:27:07  *** Soligor has quit IRC
640 2019-03-28T22:27:33  *** Soligor_ is now known as Soligor
641 2019-03-28T22:27:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2019-03-28T22:27:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15692: doc: Mention wiki release notes draft in release-process (master...1904-docRel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15692
643 2019-03-28T22:27:40  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
644 2019-03-28T22:36:02  *** Atro3 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
645 2019-03-28T22:39:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2019-03-28T22:39:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #15693: travis: Switch to ubuntu keyserver to avoid timeouts (master...1903-travisKeyTimeout) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15693
647 2019-03-28T22:40:09  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
648 2019-03-28T22:42:32  *** FooBarWidget has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
649 2019-03-28T22:46:29  *** Manolis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
650 2019-03-28T22:46:40  *** Manolis is now known as Guest70454
651 2019-03-28T22:52:52  *** spinza has quit IRC
652 2019-03-28T22:56:33  *** FireBreath_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
653 2019-03-28T22:58:54  *** jeromeg19 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
654 2019-03-28T22:59:13  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
655 2019-03-28T23:00:49  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
656 2019-03-28T23:05:26  *** booyah has quit IRC
657 2019-03-28T23:05:38  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
658 2019-03-28T23:09:24  *** dqx_ has quit IRC
659 2019-03-28T23:11:12  *** rambo12345624 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
660 2019-03-28T23:17:43  *** Zenton has quit IRC
661 2019-03-28T23:20:25  <midnightmagic> if a setban overlaps, I wonder if the bantime in the overlap should be updated..
662 2019-03-28T23:24:54  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
663 2019-03-28T23:26:03  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
664 2019-03-28T23:31:03  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
665 2019-03-28T23:38:55  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
666 2019-03-28T23:45:56  *** KAT27 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
667 2019-03-28T23:46:00  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
668 2019-03-28T23:46:15  *** KAT27 has quit IRC
669 2019-03-28T23:53:48  *** captjakk has quit IRC