1 2019-04-12T00:06:43  *** davterra has quit IRC
  2 2019-04-12T00:11:22  *** captjakk has quit IRC
  3 2019-04-12T00:15:45  *** jonatack has quit IRC
  4 2019-04-12T00:29:38  *** Emcy has quit IRC
  5 2019-04-12T00:38:22  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-04-12T00:38:43  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
  7 2019-04-12T00:39:08  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-04-12T00:53:15  *** Demian- has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2019-04-12T01:18:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-04-12T01:18:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] JimmyMow opened pull request #15802: doc: create application support bitcoin folder (master...fix/macos-docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15802
 11 2019-04-12T01:18:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-04-12T01:19:25  *** Tralfaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2019-04-12T01:42:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-04-12T01:42:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider opened pull request #15803: [0.18] Backport 15749: importmulti only imports origin info for PKH outputs (0.18...201904_backport_15749) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15803
 15 2019-04-12T01:42:16  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2019-04-12T01:57:06  *** Emcy has quit IRC
 17 2019-04-12T02:01:56  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-04-12T02:09:13  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2019-04-12T02:13:26  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2019-04-12T02:17:43  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 21 2019-04-12T02:27:41  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 22 2019-04-12T02:48:41  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2019-04-12T02:51:09  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-04-12T02:51:27  *** Tralfaz has quit IRC
 25 2019-04-12T02:53:00  *** Emcy has quit IRC
 26 2019-04-12T03:00:58  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
 27 2019-04-12T03:01:42  *** fanquake has quit IRC
 28 2019-04-12T03:07:46  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-04-12T03:53:35  *** riperk has quit IRC
 30 2019-04-12T04:03:04  *** brianhoffman has quit IRC
 31 2019-04-12T04:04:22  *** brianhoffman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-04-12T04:31:43  *** ranefer has quit IRC
 33 2019-04-12T04:46:51  *** Squidicc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-04-12T04:46:51  *** Squidicuz has quit IRC
 35 2019-04-12T05:22:19  *** Demian- has quit IRC
 36 2019-04-12T05:35:17  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 37 2019-04-12T05:36:08  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2019-04-12T05:39:53  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2019-04-12T05:42:51  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2019-04-12T05:47:27  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 41 2019-04-12T06:04:15  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
 42 2019-04-12T07:06:20  *** gertjaap has quit IRC
 43 2019-04-12T07:06:31  *** nsh has quit IRC
 44 2019-04-12T07:06:31  *** bosma has quit IRC
 45 2019-04-12T07:06:31  *** Liliaceae has quit IRC
 46 2019-04-12T07:06:35  *** gertjaap has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-04-12T07:06:44  *** Liliaceae has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2019-04-12T07:06:44  *** bosma has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2019-04-12T07:07:02  *** Taek has quit IRC
 50 2019-04-12T07:07:08  *** Taek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2019-04-12T07:24:01  *** nsh has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-04-12T08:00:28  *** berndj has quit IRC
 53 2019-04-12T08:00:42  *** berndj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-04-12T08:01:36  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-04-12T08:06:04  *** promag has quit IRC
 56 2019-04-12T08:10:44  *** lnostdal has quit IRC
 57 2019-04-12T08:23:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-04-12T08:23:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #15805: log: Increase signal-to-noise in bitcoind standard output. Don't print debug output "Pre-allocating to position ..." and "Leaving block file ..." when running with -nodebug (default). (master...stdout-signal-to-noise) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15805
 59 2019-04-12T08:23:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-04-12T08:46:46  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-04-12T08:52:40  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-04-12T08:52:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #15806: contrib: Remove SUSPICIOUS_HOSTS from makeseeds.py (master...remove-SUSPICIOUS_HOSTS) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15806
 63 2019-04-12T08:52:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-04-12T08:55:58  <gmaxwell> uh
 65 2019-04-12T08:58:32  *** mnl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-04-12T08:59:26  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2019-04-12T09:02:23  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-04-12T09:21:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2019-04-12T09:21:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift closed pull request #15806: contrib: Remove SUSPICIOUS_HOSTS from makeseeds.py (master...remove-SUSPICIOUS_HOSTS) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15806
 70 2019-04-12T09:21:23  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-04-12T09:24:32  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
 72 2019-04-12T09:32:08  *** lnostdal has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-04-12T09:44:56  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2019-04-12T09:49:13  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2019-04-12T09:53:46  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 76 2019-04-12T10:05:26  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
 77 2019-04-12T10:07:19  *** ghost43_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-04-12T10:07:51  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 79 2019-04-12T10:11:39  *** promag has quit IRC
 80 2019-04-12T10:11:49  *** ghost43_ has quit IRC
 81 2019-04-12T10:12:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2019-04-12T10:13:57  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-04-12T10:16:33  *** fanquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2019-04-12T10:17:13  <fanquake> Am looking forward to playing around with --enable-experimental-rust
 85 2019-04-12T10:21:53  *** promag has quit IRC
 86 2019-04-12T10:23:45  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 87 2019-04-12T10:25:25  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 88 2019-04-12T10:31:54  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2019-04-12T10:33:54  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-04-12T10:48:16  *** spinza has quit IRC
 91 2019-04-12T10:58:52  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2019-04-12T11:03:31  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2019-04-12T11:30:34  *** laptop500 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2019-04-12T11:54:01  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2019-04-12T11:54:01  *** shesek has quit IRC
 96 2019-04-12T11:54:01  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-04-12T12:01:15  *** jonatack has quit IRC
 98 2019-04-12T12:19:39  *** cryptapus has quit IRC
 99 2019-04-12T12:20:28  *** cryptapus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2019-04-12T12:20:29  *** cryptapus has quit IRC
101 2019-04-12T12:20:29  *** cryptapus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-04-12T12:58:28  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2019-04-12T13:01:35  *** qrestlove has quit IRC
104 2019-04-12T13:06:33  *** bsm117532 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2019-04-12T13:07:24  <bsm117532> BlueMatt: ported your BetterHash mining server code to 0.18: https://github.com/mcelrath/bitcoin/tree/betterhash_bob
106 2019-04-12T13:07:27  <bsm117532> Anyone using this?
107 2019-04-12T13:08:25  <bsm117532> Will be pointing miners at it in the next few days.
108 2019-04-12T13:25:38  *** lio17 has quit IRC
109 2019-04-12T13:26:07  *** lio17 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
110 2019-04-12T13:26:35  *** _Sam-- has quit IRC
111 2019-04-12T13:40:59  *** mnl has quit IRC
112 2019-04-12T13:41:42  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2019-04-12T13:46:51  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2019-04-12T13:49:36  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
115 2019-04-12T13:49:52  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
116 2019-04-12T13:56:49  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
117 2019-04-12T14:00:38  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
118 2019-04-12T14:02:14  *** Technoquake has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2019-04-12T14:02:43  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
120 2019-04-12T14:03:10  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-04-12T14:09:54  *** laptop500 has quit IRC
122 2019-04-12T14:15:02  *** ranefer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2019-04-12T14:27:59  <BlueMatt> bsm117532: nice! I'll follow up over the weekend
124 2019-04-12T14:29:34  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
125 2019-04-12T14:47:36  *** ranefer has quit IRC
126 2019-04-12T14:47:55  *** ranefer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-04-12T14:51:20  *** ranefer has left #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2019-04-12T15:03:28  *** asoltys_ has left #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2019-04-12T15:34:10  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2019-04-12T15:40:18  *** setpill has quit IRC
131 2019-04-12T15:44:34  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2019-04-12T15:47:49  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2019-04-12T16:28:50  *** millerti has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
134 2019-04-12T16:32:37  *** ppisati has quit IRC
135 2019-04-12T16:40:03  *** ppisati has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2019-04-12T16:45:47  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-04-12T16:51:18  *** captjakk has quit IRC
138 2019-04-12T16:51:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2019-04-12T16:51:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/0e9cb2d24dbf...66ce95a43400
140 2019-04-12T16:51:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa2dfbf MarcoFalke: travis: Bump second timeout to 33 minutes, Add rationale
141 2019-04-12T16:51:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 66ce95a MarcoFalke: Merge #15797: travis: Bump second timeout to 33 minutes, Add rationale
142 2019-04-12T16:51:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-04-12T16:52:12  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-04-12T16:52:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15797: travis: Bump second timeout to 33 minutes, Add rationale (master...1904-travisTime) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15797
145 2019-04-12T16:52:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-04-12T16:54:09  *** dviola has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-04-12T17:01:07  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
148 2019-04-12T17:01:45  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-04-12T17:04:06  *** captjakk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2019-04-12T17:05:40  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-04-12T17:08:39  *** captjakk has quit IRC
152 2019-04-12T17:09:27  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
153 2019-04-12T17:12:45  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-04-12T17:18:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-04-12T17:26:28  <instagibbs> MarcoFalke, re #15797 is this the "no output seen" timeout?
156 2019-04-12T17:26:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15797 | travis: Bump second timeout to 33 minutes, Add rationale by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #15797 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
157 2019-04-12T17:26:56  <MarcoFalke> nah, the 50 min timeout
158 2019-04-12T17:27:14  *** captjakk_ has quit IRC
159 2019-04-12T17:27:48  <MarcoFalke> All tests are busy printing at least every 10 minutes, so the "no output seen" should never be hit
160 2019-04-12T17:29:13  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-04-12T17:29:40  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2019-04-12T17:31:14  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-04-12T17:31:52  *** Technoquake has quit IRC
164 2019-04-12T17:32:03  *** timothy has quit IRC
165 2019-04-12T17:32:48  *** niska has quit IRC
166 2019-04-12T17:34:07  *** captjakk has quit IRC
167 2019-04-12T17:37:58  *** niska has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2019-04-12T17:41:21  *** Zenton has quit IRC
169 2019-04-12T17:41:28  *** promag has quit IRC
170 2019-04-12T17:47:38  <jnewbery> I think there's a wallet meeting in just over an hour today. If so, I have one #proposedmeetingtopic : Upgrade wallet (#15761). There's already been some discussion in the PR
171 2019-04-12T17:47:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15761 | Replace -upgradewallet startup option with upgradewallet RPC by achow101 · Pull Request #15761 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
172 2019-04-12T17:51:43  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
173 2019-04-12T17:52:26  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-04-12T17:54:20  *** schmidty_ has quit IRC
175 2019-04-12T17:54:38  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2019-04-12T17:59:55  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-04-12T17:59:57  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2019-04-12T18:19:13  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-04-12T18:20:47  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-04-12T18:26:35  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
181 2019-04-12T18:29:49  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-04-12T18:44:21  *** millerti has quit IRC
183 2019-04-12T18:46:47  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
184 2019-04-12T18:50:18  <achow101> #proposedmeetingtopic native descriptor wallets (#15761)
185 2019-04-12T18:50:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15761 | Replace -upgradewallet startup option with upgradewallet RPC by achow101 · Pull Request #15761 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
186 2019-04-12T18:50:34  <achow101> ehh, #15764
187 2019-04-12T18:50:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15764 | Native descriptor wallets by achow101 · Pull Request #15764 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
188 2019-04-12T19:00:04  <meshcollider> #startmeeting
189 2019-04-12T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Apr 12 19:00:04 2019 UTC.  The chair is meshcollider. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
190 2019-04-12T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
191 2019-04-12T19:00:07  <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb
192 2019-04-12T19:00:11  <jnewbery> hi
193 2019-04-12T19:01:10  <achow101> hi
194 2019-04-12T19:01:35  <meshcollider> #topic : Upgrade wallet (#15761) (jnewbery)
195 2019-04-12T19:01:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15761 | Replace -upgradewallet startup option with upgradewallet RPC by achow101 · Pull Request #15761 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
196 2019-04-12T19:02:14  <kanzure> hi
197 2019-04-12T19:02:26  <jnewbery> This PR is to replace the -upgradewallet startup option, which is great news
198 2019-04-12T19:03:01  <jnewbery> achow is proposing to replace it with an RPC. There were a couple of other suggestions on what to replace it with in the PR and I wanted to poll for opinions
199 2019-04-12T19:03:10  <achow101> I think the primary question is RPC, wallet-tool command, or both
200 2019-04-12T19:03:30  <achow101> I prefer both
201 2019-04-12T19:03:47  <jnewbery> I'm slightly concerned about having an RPC that can upgrade at any time. I just feel that it might introduce subtle corner cases if the wallet is doing something else at the time
202 2019-04-12T19:04:16  <jnewbery> but I might be wrong. Perhaps it's fine
203 2019-04-12T19:04:44  <achow101> the whole operation is locked, and any operations on the wallet are also locked, so I don't think that's really a problem
204 2019-04-12T19:04:47  <jnewbery> (I'm definitely a big concept ACK on moving away from startup option)
205 2019-04-12T19:05:28  <kanzure> does upgradewallet replace the wallet or does it create an upgraded wallet only?
206 2019-04-12T19:05:40  <achow101> kanzure: it just upgrades the wallet file
207 2019-04-12T19:05:52  <luke-jr> could be only allowed when loading
208 2019-04-12T19:06:03  <meshcollider> I'm in favour of both too
209 2019-04-12T19:06:50  <jnewbery> luke-jr: that's one suggestion in the PR. Another option would be to only allow it on wallets that aren't currently loaded.
210 2019-04-12T19:07:11  <jnewbery> (ie separate upgrade from running entirely)
211 2019-04-12T19:07:13  <achow101> jnewbery: what if upgradewallet unloads it, upgrades, then reloads it
212 2019-04-12T19:07:29  <achow101> that would disconnect all of the signals and stuff that would cause issues
213 2019-04-12T19:07:34  <kanzure> need lock during upgrade
214 2019-04-12T19:07:38  <kanzure> so that they don't reopen
215 2019-04-12T19:07:52  <kanzure> in achow101's flow.
216 2019-04-12T19:08:16  <jnewbery> Should we encourage users to backup before they upgrade?
217 2019-04-12T19:08:30  <meshcollider> kanzure: I think thats the current behavior anyway
218 2019-04-12T19:08:53  <kanzure> meshcollider: ok, i thought the lock only applies to loaded wallets. nevermind.
219 2019-04-12T19:09:29  <achow101> kanzure: meshcollider: in the idea I just proposed, you would have to lock something to prevent loading the wallet during upgarde
220 2019-04-12T19:09:35  <luke-jr> jnewbery: at least after
221 2019-04-12T19:09:58  <harding> Wallet files are generally small.  If you think a backup is important, it's probably better to just make one automatically and stuff it somewhere in ~/.bitcoin/
222 2019-04-12T19:10:07  <achow101> jnewbery: probably. the help text for the RPC does say that backups after are required
223 2019-04-12T19:10:15  <achow101> I can change it to also say before too
224 2019-04-12T19:10:32  <meshcollider> backup before can be done automatically like harding suggests
225 2019-04-12T19:10:41  <meshcollider> Make a wallet.old or something
226 2019-04-12T19:10:47  <harding> (Backup after is a different thing, since that's talking about off-disk backups.)
227 2019-04-12T19:11:14  <luke-jr> achow101: well, only after is *required*..
228 2019-04-12T19:12:58  <achow101> right
229 2019-04-12T19:14:17  <achow101> I think it's possible to make both an upgradewallet RPC and wallet-tool command work safely
230 2019-04-12T19:15:58  <meshcollider> It doesn't seem like theres any real objection to that
231 2019-04-12T19:16:56  <meshcollider> jnewbery: anything else to discuss on this topic?
232 2019-04-12T19:17:12  <jnewbery> nothing from me
233 2019-04-12T19:17:31  <meshcollider> #topic native descriptor wallets (achow101)
234 2019-04-12T19:18:01  <achow101> So i finished up an implementation of native descriptor wallets last weekend: #15764
235 2019-04-12T19:18:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15764 | Native descriptor wallets by achow101 · Pull Request #15764 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
236 2019-04-12T19:18:09  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
237 2019-04-12T19:18:26  <achow101> the only question I really have is what to do with the tests for the old wallet stuff
238 2019-04-12T19:18:50  <jnewbery> I think it's pretty important to keep those tests
239 2019-04-12T19:18:58  <achow101> currently I have a bunch of tests removed or changed because they don't work with descriptor wallets
240 2019-04-12T19:19:17  <jnewbery> Most users will still be using non-descriptor wallets for some time. We can't just stop testing those and hope there are no regressions
241 2019-04-12T19:19:19  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2019-04-12T19:19:45  <ryanofsky> you can add descriptors as an optional feature, there's no need to remove old code or old tests
243 2019-04-12T19:22:31  <achow101> ryanofsky: that's an option, but I feel like descriptors and its new definitions is such a departure from current wallet stuff that it should have better distinction than just a wallet flag
244 2019-04-12T19:23:57  <ryanofsky> you are referring to the practical downside of having to keep more code around?
245 2019-04-12T19:23:58  <achow101> e.g. it's possible for someone to write code which accidentally unsets the wallet flag. it's much harder to accidentally downgrade the version
246 2019-04-12T19:24:01  <meshcollider> Does your PR remove the ability to generate new "old" wallets
247 2019-04-12T19:24:15  <achow101> meshcollider: yes
248 2019-04-12T19:24:22  <achow101> (it's a wallet version bump)
249 2019-04-12T19:26:02  <sipa>  achow101: i think, even for just testing purposes, we'll need to retain the ability to create old wallets
250 2019-04-12T19:26:15  <jnewbery> The main downside of it being a flag rather than a version is that it becomes combinatorially more difficult to test everything
251 2019-04-12T19:26:24  <sipa> as this is a very invasive change, and i don't think we want to lose the ability to test old logic
252 2019-04-12T19:26:51  <jnewbery> I think that the default should be that newly created wallets are old-style, and users need to explicitly upgrade
253 2019-04-12T19:26:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2019-04-12T19:26:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jamesob opened pull request #15809: gitignore: plist and dat (master...2019-04-gitignore) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15809
255 2019-04-12T19:26:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-04-12T19:27:09  <achow101> jnewbery: how come?
257 2019-04-12T19:27:45  <achow101> I think an explicit upgrade is actually far more dangerous than creating a new descriptor wallet
258 2019-04-12T19:27:45  <jnewbery> because like you say, it's a big departure from the current wallet design
259 2019-04-12T19:28:10  <jnewbery> we need to support both for some time to come, so why not take the conservative approach for now
260 2019-04-12T19:28:21  <meshcollider> I think thats sensible for now, old wallet generation can be "deprecated" later on
261 2019-04-12T19:29:17  <ryanofsky> yeah, i just think you don't need to add descriptors as this big one time change
262 2019-04-12T19:29:50  <jnewbery> > I think an explicit upgrade is actually far more dangerous...
263 2019-04-12T19:29:51  <ryanofsky> you can add new functionality alongside existing functionality, you will get better review better testing
264 2019-04-12T19:30:07  <jnewbery> We definitely shouldn't be releasing wallet code that we think is *in any way* dangerous
265 2019-04-12T19:30:08  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
266 2019-04-12T19:30:32  <achow101> ok
267 2019-04-12T19:30:50  *** provoostenator has left #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2019-04-12T19:30:51  *** provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-04-12T19:31:03  <achow101> jnewbery: the upgrade stuff I think will be inherently dangerous. shoehorning the old ismine logic into the new ismine logic is not trivial and they are incompatible in many different ways
270 2019-04-12T19:31:35  <ryanofsky> achow101, you don't even need to add upgrade in the initial pr
271 2019-04-12T19:32:10  <ryanofsky> we can add support for just creating new descriptor wallets, or just importing descriptors first
272 2019-04-12T19:32:28  <jnewbery> i don't agree that it's inherently dangerous. We just need to do lots of testing until we're satisfied that it's no longer dangerous
273 2019-04-12T19:32:30  <meshcollider> provoostenator is having IRC issues and can't send messages here atm but would like to point out he also has a slightly different (and perhaps less complete) PR open: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15487
274 2019-04-12T19:32:45  <jnewbery> and roll it out slowly, with warnings to backup, etc
275 2019-04-12T19:32:49  <achow101> ryanofsky: right
276 2019-04-12T19:33:36  <jnewbery> Everything ryanofsky is suggesting is still possible by using wallet versions and not flags
277 2019-04-12T19:33:37  <achow101> ryanofsky: we shouldn't allow people to create mixed descriptor and non-descriptor wllets though. so no importing descriptors
278 2019-04-12T19:34:05  <achow101> jnewbery: making it optional is not
279 2019-04-12T19:34:19  <achow101> that should only be done with flags
280 2019-04-12T19:34:29  <jnewbery> why not? Add a new parameter to createwallet
281 2019-04-12T19:34:50  <ryanofsky> yeah, i'm not sure you actually need a version or a flag
282 2019-04-12T19:34:55  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2019-04-12T19:35:05  <jnewbery> if descriptorwallet=false create an old-style wallet, if true create a descriptor wallet
284 2019-04-12T19:35:17  <achow101> the last time we did optional version was hd wallet and that was a headache to reconcile with upgrades in the future. I would rather not go through that excercise again
285 2019-04-12T19:35:18  <jnewbery> default to false
286 2019-04-12T19:35:37  <jnewbery> we need to handle upgrades anyway. You already have code to do that
287 2019-04-12T19:36:05  <provoostenator> hi?
288 2019-04-12T19:36:09  <harding> provoostenator: hi
289 2019-04-12T19:36:12  <provoostenator> YES!
290 2019-04-12T19:36:18  <meshcollider> provoostenator: hi \o/
291 2019-04-12T19:36:23  <jnewbery> hi sjors!
292 2019-04-12T19:36:24  <provoostenator> That was weird, I've been talking into a void for a day or so :-)
293 2019-04-12T19:37:03  <provoostenator> In my version of descriptor wallets it's a feature flag and opt-in. Obviously this sort of thing is easy to tweak.
294 2019-04-12T19:37:16  <achow101> jnewbery: I think we should maintain the separation of wallet flags for optional, wallet version for mandatory
295 2019-04-12T19:37:17  <provoostenator> I'll do a more thorough comparison later.
296 2019-04-12T19:37:58  <jnewbery> wallet version is optional. Upgrading from an old version to new is optional
297 2019-04-12T19:37:59  <meshcollider> achow101: but why not just allow the wallet to be created with either version number
298 2019-04-12T19:38:06  <jnewbery> right
299 2019-04-12T19:38:14  <ryanofsky> jnewbery, i think version numbers are just confusing and should never be used again
300 2019-04-12T19:38:52  <jnewbery> They are confusing, but they at least cut down on the number of combinations of options
301 2019-04-12T19:38:52  <ryanofsky> your concern about testing and flag combinations is easily addressed by just refusing to load / support wallets with whatever combinations of flags you want to rule out
302 2019-04-12T19:39:26  <jnewbery> I think that's effectively the same thing, no?
303 2019-04-12T19:39:33  <meshcollider> IIRC in lightning, when exchanging feature lists, there are some optional features and some mandatory features based on bit positions
304 2019-04-12T19:39:36  <ryanofsky> yes, exactly
305 2019-04-12T19:39:49  <achow101> meshcollider: jnewbery: the problem with optional wallet versions is that any future wallet version becomes optional as well. You can't e.g. skip descriptor wallets and go to the version after that which introduces something completely unrelated to descriptors
306 2019-04-12T19:39:56  <ryanofsky> anything you want to do with version numbers is possible with flags, but flags are more readable and easier to think about
307 2019-04-12T19:40:00  <achow101> reconciling the two becomes a pain, as it was for hd wallets
308 2019-04-12T19:40:17  <jnewbery> achow101 that's always the case with version numbers
309 2019-04-12T19:40:24  <meshcollider> We dont have to add any new features to old style wallets from now on
310 2019-04-12T19:40:35  <meshcollider> Force a descriptor upgrade before any other upgrade
311 2019-04-12T19:40:39  *** owowo has quit IRC
312 2019-04-12T19:40:45  <ryanofsky> because you don't have to mentally load the whole project history to figure out what conditions are possible, it's just written explicitly in code
313 2019-04-12T19:41:08  <provoostenator> I'd rather not force upgrades anytime soon. That most likely will lead to endless delays in shipping.
314 2019-04-12T19:41:11  <jnewbery> even if you don't make the version 'optional', there are still users of old wallets who would have to upgrade through descriptor wallets if they wanted a later version
315 2019-04-12T19:41:34  <jnewbery> provoostenator: definitely. No forced upgrades
316 2019-04-12T19:42:09  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2019-04-12T19:42:12  <achow101> i agree with ryanofsky
318 2019-04-12T19:42:25  <achow101> anyways, this is bikeshedding
319 2019-04-12T19:42:32  <jnewbery> ?
320 2019-04-12T19:42:51  <meshcollider> I think this is important for the approach
321 2019-04-12T19:43:20  <provoostenator> What's more important I think is to decide if we want to support a hybrid with descriptors and regular stuff (I prefer not).
322 2019-04-12T19:43:34  <achow101> provoostenator: definitely no
323 2019-04-12T19:43:38  <meshcollider> No, we shouldnt
324 2019-04-12T19:44:54  <provoostenator> Ok, so that can be supported both with versioning and with feature flags I think. We can revisit that later?
325 2019-04-12T19:45:17  <provoostenator> Or is there something where this choice does matter more urgently?
326 2019-04-12T19:45:29  <achow101> meshcollider: jnewbery: consider the case where we introduce descriptor wallets as a new optional version. Sometime later down the road, we introduce a new wallet version because a new field is introduced in the wallet that is inherently not backwards compatible so it needs a version bump to prevent old software from loading, e.g. several more wallet flags
327 2019-04-12T19:45:44  <meshcollider> I think it just affects how to deal with transitioning tests
328 2019-04-12T19:46:24  <achow101> in order for users to upgrade to that version with more wallet flags, they first have to upgrade to descriptors, which they may not want to. that new version provides new functionality that does not require descriptors but is still applicable to old wallets. now this needs to be reconciled, and that's rather difficult
329 2019-04-12T19:46:29  *** promag has quit IRC
330 2019-04-12T19:46:33  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2019-04-12T19:46:37  <ryanofsky> yeah, i don't see why flags aren't just obviously better in every case. you can still prevent combinations of features, you are just forced to write down which combinations are possible
332 2019-04-12T19:46:48  <jnewbery> achow101 are you arguing that this should be a flag?
333 2019-04-12T19:47:04  <meshcollider> Flags alone dont prevent old nodes from trying to open though do they?
334 2019-04-12T19:47:08  <achow101> jnewbery: yes. if it is going to be an optional feature, it should be a flag
335 2019-04-12T19:47:23  <ryanofsky> meshcollider, mandatory flags do
336 2019-04-12T19:47:49  <jnewbery> Of course it's an optional feature. We don't force people to upgrade!
337 2019-04-12T19:48:02  <meshcollider> Ok yes I agree with making it a mandatory flag rather than version
338 2019-04-12T19:48:28  <jnewbery> I'm fine with it being a flag. Like ryanofsky has said, you can do everything with flags that you can with versions (and more)
339 2019-04-12T19:49:14  <jnewbery> As long as the valid combinations are all documented and enforced in one place
340 2019-04-12T19:49:17  <provoostenator> A mandatory flag also means we can reduce complexity.
341 2019-04-12T19:49:40  <provoostenator> Only supporting upgrades for basic cases.
342 2019-04-12T19:49:51  <achow101> alright, i'll change the pr to use a flag, restore the tests, and drop the upgrading logic for now
343 2019-04-12T19:50:02  <meshcollider> Just because its a flag doesn't mean we have to allow all possible combinations of flags
344 2019-04-12T19:50:43  <meshcollider> achow101: +1
345 2019-04-12T19:50:56  <meshcollider> Anything else for the last 10 minutes?
346 2019-04-12T19:51:22  <meshcollider> Anything else for backport to 0.18.0rc4 or high priority requests?
347 2019-04-12T19:51:50  <jnewbery> Wallet high priority PRs are #15006 #14447 #15741
348 2019-04-12T19:51:54  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15006 | Add option to create an encrypted wallet by achow101 · Pull Request #15006 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
349 2019-04-12T19:51:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14447 | Armory 0.96.4 causies BitcoinCore 0.17 crash sometimes · Issue #14447 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
350 2019-04-12T19:51:57  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15741 | Batch write imported stuff in importmulti by achow101 · Pull Request #15741 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
351 2019-04-12T19:51:57  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
352 2019-04-12T19:52:02  <jnewbery> sorry #15557
353 2019-04-12T19:52:06  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15557 | Enhance `bumpfee` to include inputs when targeting a feerate by instagibbs · Pull Request #15557 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
354 2019-04-12T19:52:33  <jnewbery> I think 15557 is almost ready for merge. It's a really nice feature and quite easy to review
355 2019-04-12T19:53:06  <meshcollider> Maybe kallewoof would like to have that debit/credit caching one on there
356 2019-04-12T19:53:17  <meshcollider> #15780
357 2019-04-12T19:53:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15780 | wallet: add cachable accounts for caching credit/debit values by kallewoof · Pull Request #15780 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
358 2019-04-12T19:53:54  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2019-04-12T19:54:04  <jnewbery> I think that can go on. It blocks his other PR
360 2019-04-12T19:54:26  <jnewbery> (which has been open for 8 months)
361 2019-04-12T19:55:12  <meshcollider> Yes, and he is very proactive with rebasing, he deserves some acceleration lol
362 2019-04-12T19:55:30  <jnewbery> #action review more kallewoof PRs!
363 2019-04-12T19:56:11  <meshcollider> Ok seems thats all for the meeting today then :)
364 2019-04-12T19:56:16  <meshcollider> #endmeeting
365 2019-04-12T19:56:16  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Fri Apr 12 19:56:16 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
366 2019-04-12T19:56:16  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-04-12-19.00.html
367 2019-04-12T19:56:16  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-04-12-19.00.txt
368 2019-04-12T19:56:16  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-04-12-19.00.log.html
369 2019-04-12T19:57:18  <achow101> when can we switch to a bdb that's shipped by distros?
370 2019-04-12T19:58:57  <gwillen> I'm a little late to the high priority party, but I'd really like to see #15024 make it in
371 2019-04-12T19:58:58  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15024 | Allow specific private keys to be derived from descriptor by meshcollider · Pull Request #15024 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
372 2019-04-12T19:59:35  <warren> achow101: drawback of that is everyone's wallet.dat would be a different format, and you wouldn't be able to use the gitian binary
373 2019-04-12T19:59:47  <gwillen> this is a stopgap for using private-key-bearing descriptors in pre-descriptorwallets, but I expect that it can land MUCH faster than descriptorwallets will
374 2019-04-12T20:00:23  <gwillen> I expect that it is not eligible for backport, but it would be nice to see it in master
375 2019-04-12T20:02:05  <jnewbery> I'm fine with adding it. It does make the high priority list a bit wallet-heavy
376 2019-04-12T20:02:49  <meshcollider> The wallet is the only important thing anyway ;)
377 2019-04-12T20:03:55  <gwillen> hah :D
378 2019-04-12T20:24:08  <luke-jr> achow101: probably never?
379 2019-04-12T20:25:01  <luke-jr> achow101: modern bdb is AGPL; so we'd need to modify our software to serve source code of whatever is running to peers
380 2019-04-12T20:25:06  <luke-jr> which IMO is stupid
381 2019-04-12T20:25:48  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
382 2019-04-12T20:27:16  *** promag has quit IRC
383 2019-04-12T20:33:35  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
384 2019-04-12T20:45:50  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
385 2019-04-12T20:54:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
386 2019-04-12T20:54:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #15810: [WIP] Remove nAbsurdFee fee from AcceptToMemoryPool (master...2019-04-remove-absurd-fee) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15810
387 2019-04-12T20:54:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
388 2019-04-12T20:55:08  *** hebasto has quit IRC
389 2019-04-12T21:00:37  *** promag has quit IRC
390 2019-04-12T21:14:23  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2019-04-12T21:15:30  *** riperk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
392 2019-04-12T21:16:06  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
393 2019-04-12T21:18:57  *** chriswang2019 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
394 2019-04-12T21:19:31  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
395 2019-04-12T21:21:36  *** chriswang2019 has quit IRC
396 2019-04-12T21:22:49  <promag> gh down?
397 2019-04-12T21:24:15  <instagibbs> not for me
398 2019-04-12T21:26:20  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
399 2019-04-12T21:50:29  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2019-04-12T21:50:34  *** jimmysong_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
401 2019-04-12T21:55:41  *** captjakk has quit IRC
402 2019-04-12T21:56:15  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
403 2019-04-12T21:57:53  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
404 2019-04-12T21:57:54  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
405 2019-04-12T22:01:33  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
406 2019-04-12T22:05:14  *** captjakk has quit IRC
407 2019-04-12T22:16:02  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
408 2019-04-12T22:17:11  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
409 2019-04-12T22:18:07  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
410 2019-04-12T22:18:18  *** dqx__ has quit IRC
411 2019-04-12T22:21:01  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2019-04-12T22:33:27  *** dqx_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
413 2019-04-12T22:48:21  *** bitbee has quit IRC
414 2019-04-12T22:50:10  *** dqx_ has quit IRC
415 2019-04-12T22:51:46  *** bitbee has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
416 2019-04-12T22:52:21  *** andreacab has quit IRC
417 2019-04-12T22:55:39  *** spinza has quit IRC
418 2019-04-12T22:56:46  *** dqx_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
419 2019-04-12T23:00:01  *** dqx_ has quit IRC
420 2019-04-12T23:01:18  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
421 2019-04-12T23:05:24  *** promag_ has quit IRC
422 2019-04-12T23:11:41  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
423 2019-04-12T23:29:22  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
424 2019-04-12T23:32:15  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
425 2019-04-12T23:41:01  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC