1 2019-06-27T00:00:02  *** yano1 has quit IRC
  2 2019-06-27T00:00:33  *** scoop has quit IRC
  3 2019-06-27T00:00:33  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-06-27T00:02:18  *** promag has quit IRC
  5 2019-06-27T00:03:12  *** cprofitt1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-06-27T00:06:27  *** TheV01d- has quit IRC
  7 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** Apocalyptic has quit IRC
  8 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** valwal___ has quit IRC
  9 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** jl2012 has quit IRC
 10 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** vfP56jSe has quit IRC
 11 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 12 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** Liliaceae has quit IRC
 13 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** adiabat has quit IRC
 14 2019-06-27T00:06:28  *** nejon has quit IRC
 15 2019-06-27T00:06:29  *** gleb has quit IRC
 16 2019-06-27T00:06:29  *** gwillen has quit IRC
 17 2019-06-27T00:06:29  *** nehan has quit IRC
 18 2019-06-27T00:06:38  *** gwillen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2019-06-27T00:06:39  *** valwal___ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2019-06-27T00:06:42  *** TheV01d_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2019-06-27T00:06:43  *** gleb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-06-27T00:06:43  *** nehan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2019-06-27T00:06:59  *** jl2012 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-06-27T00:06:59  *** vfP56jSe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-06-27T00:07:01  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2019-06-27T00:07:01  *** nejon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2019-06-27T00:07:02  *** Liliaceae has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2019-06-27T00:07:06  *** jl2012 has quit IRC
 29 2019-06-27T00:07:07  *** jl2012 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2019-06-27T00:07:07  *** jl2012 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2019-06-27T00:07:07  *** schmidty has quit IRC
 32 2019-06-27T00:07:07  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2019-06-27T00:07:07  *** schmidty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-06-27T00:07:18  *** Apocalyptic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-06-27T00:07:45  *** adiabat has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2019-06-27T00:09:05  *** phantomcircuit has quit IRC
 37 2019-06-27T00:09:30  *** infernix has quit IRC
 38 2019-06-27T00:11:51  *** phantomcircuit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2019-06-27T00:13:58  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2019-06-27T00:14:52  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2019-06-27T00:16:25  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 42 2019-06-27T00:21:57  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-06-27T00:26:36  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
 44 2019-06-27T00:33:15  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-06-27T00:37:04  *** infernix has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-06-27T00:37:32  *** scoop has quit IRC
 47 2019-06-27T00:41:16  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 48 2019-06-27T00:46:54  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
 49 2019-06-27T00:49:40  *** NicolasDorier has quit IRC
 50 2019-06-27T00:53:19  *** wbnns has quit IRC
 51 2019-06-27T00:53:20  *** NicolasDorier has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-06-27T00:53:42  *** mariorz has quit IRC
 53 2019-06-27T00:55:14  *** wbnns has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-06-27T00:55:35  *** mariorz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-06-27T01:08:54  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-06-27T01:15:30  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
 57 2019-06-27T01:17:42  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-06-27T01:22:58  <achow101> sipa: meshcollider: Instead of having the ScriptPubKeyManagers be the SigningProviders for CWallet, what do you think about keeping CWallet as a SigningProvider and just having it poll all of its ScriptPubKeyManagers for keys and scripts? I think this makes the implementation much simpler as it doesn't require knowing exactly which address type the output is in order to sign for it (as well as a bunch of other things that take
 59 2019-06-27T01:22:58  <achow101> SigingProviders)
 60 2019-06-27T01:26:47  *** aseem has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-06-27T01:27:58  *** hugohn has quit IRC
 62 2019-06-27T01:31:13  *** aseem has quit IRC
 63 2019-06-27T01:31:54  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-06-27T01:35:56  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
 65 2019-06-27T02:07:24  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 66 2019-06-27T02:07:42  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2019-06-27T02:09:23  *** dviola has quit IRC
 68 2019-06-27T02:10:20  *** omonk has quit IRC
 69 2019-06-27T02:12:37  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2019-06-27T02:13:29  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-06-27T02:17:16  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
 72 2019-06-27T02:23:30  *** rafalcpp_ has quit IRC
 73 2019-06-27T02:23:36  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2019-06-27T02:23:39  *** queip has quit IRC
 75 2019-06-27T02:29:37  <sipa> achow101: did you see my comment on your issue?
 76 2019-06-27T02:30:23  <sipa> i think a more efficient interface is having a method that you give an sPK, and it gives you a SigningProvider for it
 77 2019-06-27T02:30:42  <sipa> which for the legacy one would just give its built-in bulky one
 78 2019-06-27T02:31:09  <sipa> and for descriptor based ones would expand the relevant descriptor at the right index and just return that
 79 2019-06-27T02:31:11  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 80 2019-06-27T02:31:42  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2019-06-27T02:34:04  *** scoop has quit IRC
 82 2019-06-27T02:34:23  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-06-27T02:38:54  *** scoop has quit IRC
 84 2019-06-27T02:48:08  *** astro has quit IRC
 85 2019-06-27T02:49:07  *** astro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2019-06-27T02:51:53  <achow101> sipa: there are a few things I think that approach won't work for. I'll take a closer look at that tomorrow
 87 2019-06-27T02:53:46  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2019-06-27T02:57:49  <sipa> achow101: yeah, i believe that; it's just a suggestion
 89 2019-06-27T02:57:52  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-06-27T02:58:48  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
 91 2019-06-27T03:00:01  *** cprofitt1 has quit IRC
 92 2019-06-27T03:00:27  *** surja795 has quit IRC
 93 2019-06-27T03:01:38  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
 94 2019-06-27T03:03:24  *** ElectroBNC has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2019-06-27T03:09:20  *** bralyclow01 has quit IRC
 96 2019-06-27T03:10:03  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-06-27T03:12:08  *** surja795 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2019-06-27T03:12:40  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2019-06-27T03:22:10  *** jtimon has quit IRC
100 2019-06-27T03:29:31  *** spinza has quit IRC
101 2019-06-27T03:34:58  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-06-27T03:39:24  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
103 2019-06-27T03:47:58  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2019-06-27T03:51:08  *** surja795 has quit IRC
105 2019-06-27T03:51:17  *** lafretini has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2019-06-27T03:53:28  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
107 2019-06-27T03:54:13  *** lafretini has quit IRC
108 2019-06-27T04:02:23  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2019-06-27T04:04:27  *** gwillen has quit IRC
110 2019-06-27T04:04:29  *** hugohn has quit IRC
111 2019-06-27T04:05:48  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-06-27T04:07:50  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2019-06-27T04:16:10  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2019-06-27T04:20:49  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
115 2019-06-27T04:27:22  *** hugohn has quit IRC
116 2019-06-27T04:28:54  *** profmac has quit IRC
117 2019-06-27T04:35:00  <meshcollider> achow101: I thought that was handled by just checking IsMine on all of them anyway
118 2019-06-27T04:40:13  <achow101> ngl, I think I did it way too rushed. If you look at the commits in my box-the-wallet branch, you'll see that they quality of each commit starts dropping off rapidly towards the end. I'll probably end up redoing a large chunk of it anyways
119 2019-06-27T04:40:23  <achow101> at least now I know what all needs to actually be changed
120 2019-06-27T04:42:21  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-06-27T04:43:53  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2019-06-27T04:51:21  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
123 2019-06-27T04:52:00  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-06-27T04:57:30  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
125 2019-06-27T05:06:08  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-06-27T05:10:30  *** hugohn has quit IRC
127 2019-06-27T05:11:44  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2019-06-27T05:22:34  <fanquake> Has anyone else seen a crash similar too #16027 ? I don't think it's related solely to sleep/hibernation, as I've had two occurrences, both happening right after unloading a wallet. Unfortunately not running under lldb in either case..
129 2019-06-27T05:22:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16027 | client 0.18.0 crashes when computer wakes up from hibernation · Issue #16027 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
130 2019-06-27T05:26:42  *** surja795 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-06-27T05:26:50  *** hugohn has quit IRC
132 2019-06-27T05:27:27  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2019-06-27T05:30:50  *** hugohn has quit IRC
134 2019-06-27T05:32:10  *** surja795 has quit IRC
135 2019-06-27T05:45:11  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2019-06-27T05:47:59  *** gwillen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-06-27T05:51:54  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
138 2019-06-27T05:52:12  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
139 2019-06-27T06:00:01  *** ElectroBNC has quit IRC
140 2019-06-27T06:00:45  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2019-06-27T06:04:00  *** lgedeon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2019-06-27T06:08:38  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-06-27T06:09:30  *** baldur has quit IRC
144 2019-06-27T06:13:02  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
145 2019-06-27T06:17:39  *** jchnak has quit IRC
146 2019-06-27T06:22:01  *** baldur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-06-27T06:37:57  *** JamesAU has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2019-06-27T06:49:34  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-06-27T06:53:58  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
150 2019-06-27T07:30:44  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-06-27T07:35:29  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
152 2019-06-27T07:57:24  *** rafalcpp_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2019-06-27T07:58:48  *** queip has quit IRC
154 2019-06-27T07:58:48  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
155 2019-06-27T08:00:45  *** booyah_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2019-06-27T08:00:54  *** booyah has quit IRC
157 2019-06-27T08:06:05  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2019-06-27T08:08:38  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-06-27T08:10:14  *** awalvie_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2019-06-27T08:10:32  *** csknk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-06-27T08:13:18  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
162 2019-06-27T08:14:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-06-27T08:15:34  *** awalvie has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2019-06-27T08:15:35  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
165 2019-06-27T08:17:00  <awalvie_> hey there
166 2019-06-27T08:17:16  *** awalvie has quit IRC
167 2019-06-27T08:17:30  *** awalvie_ has quit IRC
168 2019-06-27T08:19:10  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
169 2019-06-27T08:23:05  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2019-06-27T08:25:27  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2019-06-27T08:26:03  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2019-06-27T08:27:15  *** awalvie_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2019-06-27T08:28:09  <awalvie_> hello there
174 2019-06-27T08:28:59  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-06-27T08:30:17  *** awalvie_ has quit IRC
176 2019-06-27T08:30:40  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-06-27T08:31:05  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2019-06-27T08:31:52  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
179 2019-06-27T08:32:52  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
180 2019-06-27T08:34:09  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2019-06-27T08:34:21  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-06-27T08:49:55  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2019-06-27T08:53:22  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
184 2019-06-27T08:55:10  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
185 2019-06-27T09:00:02  *** lgedeon has quit IRC
186 2019-06-27T09:01:15  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-06-27T09:03:54  *** mrd1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
188 2019-06-27T09:08:31  *** promag has quit IRC
189 2019-06-27T09:08:48  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2019-06-27T09:18:23  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-06-27T09:18:46  *** promag has quit IRC
192 2019-06-27T09:31:12  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2019-06-27T09:32:53  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-06-27T09:35:44  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
195 2019-06-27T09:40:54  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2019-06-27T09:45:19  *** promag has quit IRC
197 2019-06-27T09:51:38  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
198 2019-06-27T09:57:36  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
199 2019-06-27T09:57:50  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2019-06-27T10:01:00  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2019-06-27T10:02:50  *** promag has quit IRC
202 2019-06-27T10:03:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2019-06-27T10:05:18  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-06-27T10:07:22  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
205 2019-06-27T10:12:30  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-06-27T10:14:35  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-06-27T10:14:48  *** spinza has quit IRC
208 2019-06-27T10:16:11  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-06-27T10:16:58  *** hugohn has quit IRC
210 2019-06-27T10:17:08  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
211 2019-06-27T10:18:55  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2019-06-27T10:19:45  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-06-27T10:21:52  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2019-06-27T10:22:24  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
215 2019-06-27T10:24:25  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2019-06-27T10:53:47  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2019-06-27T10:58:19  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
218 2019-06-27T10:59:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2019-06-27T10:59:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag closed pull request #12419: Force distinct destinations in CWallet::CreateTransaction (master...2018-02-distinct-destinations) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12419
220 2019-06-27T11:00:01  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2019-06-27T11:08:29  *** promag has quit IRC
222 2019-06-27T11:17:23  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2019-06-27T11:32:14  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
224 2019-06-27T11:32:45  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2019-06-27T11:34:52  *** promag has quit IRC
226 2019-06-27T11:35:06  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2019-06-27T11:35:33  *** omonk has quit IRC
228 2019-06-27T11:38:32  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2019-06-27T11:39:29  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
230 2019-06-27T11:44:31  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
231 2019-06-27T11:47:35  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2019-06-27T11:50:02  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2019-06-27T11:54:21  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2019-06-27T12:00:02  *** mrd1 has quit IRC
235 2019-06-27T12:00:57  *** surja795 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2019-06-27T12:04:00  *** alpounet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2019-06-27T12:05:15  *** bralyclow2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2019-06-27T12:05:37  *** surja795 has quit IRC
239 2019-06-27T12:06:16  *** bralyclow2 has quit IRC
240 2019-06-27T12:11:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2019-06-27T12:15:28  *** promag has quit IRC
242 2019-06-27T12:16:29  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2019-06-27T12:20:52  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
244 2019-06-27T12:24:45  *** awalvie_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2019-06-27T12:31:00  *** awalvie_ has quit IRC
246 2019-06-27T12:32:45  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
247 2019-06-27T12:44:35  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2019-06-27T12:47:19  *** hugohn has quit IRC
249 2019-06-27T12:48:35  *** Andriian has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2019-06-27T12:57:51  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2019-06-27T13:01:13  *** hebasto has quit IRC
252 2019-06-27T13:02:11  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2019-06-27T13:02:21  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
254 2019-06-27T13:02:26  *** Andriian has left #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-06-27T13:07:11  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-06-27T13:07:28  *** queip has quit IRC
257 2019-06-27T13:07:52  *** rafalcpp_ has quit IRC
258 2019-06-27T13:13:13  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2019-06-27T13:18:54  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2019-06-27T13:23:42  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
261 2019-06-27T13:24:25  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
262 2019-06-27T13:32:40  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
263 2019-06-27T13:44:01  *** booyah_ has quit IRC
264 2019-06-27T13:45:24  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-06-27T13:46:55  *** jonatack has quit IRC
266 2019-06-27T13:50:21  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2019-06-27T13:51:27  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2019-06-27T13:57:57  *** bralyclow01 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-06-27T13:59:57  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2019-06-27T14:01:05  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
271 2019-06-27T14:04:52  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
272 2019-06-27T14:05:51  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-06-27T14:07:53  *** hugohn has quit IRC
274 2019-06-27T14:16:40  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-06-27T14:16:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #16299: bench: Move generated data to a dedicated translation unit (master...2019-06-benchmark-data) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16299
276 2019-06-27T14:16:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2019-06-27T14:17:50  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2019-06-27T14:18:08  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-06-27T14:24:53  *** booyah_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2019-06-27T14:25:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-06-27T14:25:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3077f11dadff...7400135b7918
282 2019-06-27T14:25:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9a84169 practicalswift: tests: Reduce compilation time and unneccessary recompiles by removing unu...
283 2019-06-27T14:25:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7400135 MarcoFalke: Merge #16278: tests: Remove unused includes
284 2019-06-27T14:25:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2019-06-27T14:26:15  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
286 2019-06-27T14:26:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
287 2019-06-27T14:26:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16278: tests: Remove unused includes (master...cut-compilation-bloat-in-unit-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16278
288 2019-06-27T14:26:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2019-06-27T14:28:26  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-06-27T14:28:50  *** setpill has quit IRC
291 2019-06-27T14:30:32  *** promag has quit IRC
292 2019-06-27T14:31:16  <promag_> instagibbs: re #16292 AFAIK next block height must equal current block count, that's why genesis has height 0
293 2019-06-27T14:31:18  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16292 | wallet_resendwallettransaction.py: fix coinbase height by instagibbs · Pull Request #16292 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
294 2019-06-27T14:31:22  *** promag_ is now known as promag
295 2019-06-27T14:34:08  <instagibbs> promag, no, `getblockcount` and co are actually doing `getblockchainheight`, bad naming
296 2019-06-27T14:34:16  *** omonk has quit IRC
297 2019-06-27T14:34:26  <promag> instagibbs: I was going to comment that yes
298 2019-06-27T14:34:26  <instagibbs> and height starts with genesis as 0
299 2019-06-27T14:34:37  <promag> it doens't count genesis
300 2019-06-27T14:34:44  <promag> :/ sorry
301 2019-06-27T14:34:52  <instagibbs> cool, someone had a PR for turning on bip34 for regtest, couldn't find it
302 2019-06-27T14:35:24  <instagibbs> might be worth pushing forward
303 2019-06-27T14:37:03  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2019-06-27T14:38:01  *** omonk has quit IRC
305 2019-06-27T14:41:15  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2019-06-27T14:41:28  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-06-27T14:43:55  *** astro has quit IRC
308 2019-06-27T14:44:08  *** astro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-06-27T14:45:38  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
310 2019-06-27T14:50:18  *** d_t has quit IRC
311 2019-06-27T14:57:46  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
312 2019-06-27T15:00:02  *** alpounet has quit IRC
313 2019-06-27T15:02:17  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2019-06-27T15:03:40  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2019-06-27T15:04:40  *** hack_bot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2019-06-27T15:08:19  *** promag_ has quit IRC
317 2019-06-27T15:20:05  *** arubi_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2019-06-27T15:20:45  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2019-06-27T15:22:44  *** arubi has quit IRC
320 2019-06-27T15:24:47  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2019-06-27T15:25:02  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
322 2019-06-27T15:33:00  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
323 2019-06-27T15:36:55  *** bralyclow01 has quit IRC
324 2019-06-27T15:37:16  *** r8921039 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2019-06-27T15:37:32  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2019-06-27T15:42:32  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
327 2019-06-27T15:57:36  *** r8921039 has quit IRC
328 2019-06-27T15:58:43  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
329 2019-06-27T16:04:50  *** owowo has quit IRC
330 2019-06-27T16:10:39  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2019-06-27T16:23:11  *** spinza has quit IRC
332 2019-06-27T16:26:00  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2019-06-27T16:36:42  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-06-27T16:40:19  <pinheadmz> During IBD, is fRelay set to false in `version` messages? Or do we just ignore incoming tx / inv-tx messages but "allow" them?
335 2019-06-27T16:40:39  *** omonk has quit IRC
336 2019-06-27T16:41:09  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2019-06-27T16:41:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke reopened pull request #16294: qt: test: Create at most one testing setup (master...1906-qtTestOnlyOneTestingSetup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16294
338 2019-06-27T16:41:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2019-06-27T16:44:04  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
340 2019-06-27T16:46:42  *** darosior has quit IRC
341 2019-06-27T16:46:59  *** davec has quit IRC
342 2019-06-27T16:55:26  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
343 2019-06-27T17:08:39  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2019-06-27T17:09:25  *** michaelsdunn1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
345 2019-06-27T17:18:46  *** DougieBot5000 has quit IRC
346 2019-06-27T17:21:40  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
347 2019-06-27T17:22:58  *** DougieBot5000 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
348 2019-06-27T17:26:01  *** booyah has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2019-06-27T17:26:36  *** booyah_ has quit IRC
350 2019-06-27T17:30:08  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
351 2019-06-27T17:30:54  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
352 2019-06-27T17:32:54  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
353 2019-06-27T17:35:52  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
354 2019-06-27T17:39:00  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
355 2019-06-27T17:40:09  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
356 2019-06-27T17:42:01  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2019-06-27T17:44:56  *** Zenton has quit IRC
358 2019-06-27T17:48:49  <sipa>  /query andytoshi
359 2019-06-27T17:58:04  *** csknk has quit IRC
360 2019-06-27T18:00:02  *** hack_bot has quit IRC
361 2019-06-27T18:00:59  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
362 2019-06-27T18:02:52  *** omonk has quit IRC
363 2019-06-27T18:04:29  *** ram has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2019-06-27T18:04:43  *** ram is now known as Guest10124
365 2019-06-27T18:05:50  *** omonk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2019-06-27T18:06:43  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
367 2019-06-27T18:06:54  *** queip has quit IRC
368 2019-06-27T18:06:59  *** rafalcpp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
369 2019-06-27T18:10:43  *** aj has quit IRC
370 2019-06-27T18:35:11  *** lightningbot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
371 2019-06-27T18:38:18  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
372 2019-06-27T18:42:13  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
373 2019-06-27T18:46:17  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2019-06-27T18:47:25  <wumpus> pinheadmz: fRelay is set to true during ibd, as there's no way to change it for existing peers
375 2019-06-27T18:48:50  <pinheadmz> wumpus: could there be an optimization there? We dont need tx invs during IBD...
376 2019-06-27T18:48:51  *** darosior has quit IRC
377 2019-06-27T18:53:39  <wumpus> pinheadmz: maybe, it doesn't really matter, I think, IDB takes so much more bandwidth than any amount of invs
378 2019-06-27T18:54:18  <cfields> pinheadmz: -blocksonly, fyi
379 2019-06-27T18:55:00  <pinheadmz> cfields: sure, but that doesn't stop peers from sending, we just dont process the inv or getdata
380 2019-06-27T18:55:18  <wumpus> no, blocksonly really sets fRelay to false
381 2019-06-27T18:55:24  <cfields> ^^
382 2019-06-27T18:55:31  <pinheadmz> ah right right right tnx
383 2019-06-27T18:58:38  <pinheadmz> but then after IBD theres no way to turn it back to true -- sounds like its not a concern
384 2019-06-27T18:59:25  <wumpus> restarting without -blocksonly would effectively be the same, you'd lose all peers
385 2019-06-27T19:00:12  <jonasschnelli> inv during IBD can also be interesting for light client wallets during IBD
386 2019-06-27T19:00:42  <achow101> meeting?
387 2019-06-27T19:00:49  <sipa> meeting!
388 2019-06-27T19:01:00  <wumpus> #startmeeting
389 2019-06-27T19:01:00  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jun 27 19:01:00 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
390 2019-06-27T19:01:00  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
391 2019-06-27T19:01:04  <jonasschnelli> hi
392 2019-06-27T19:01:09  <cfields> hi
393 2019-06-27T19:01:11  <achow101> hi
394 2019-06-27T19:01:17  <meshcollider> hi
395 2019-06-27T19:01:19  <promag> hello
396 2019-06-27T19:01:30  *** Guest45841 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
397 2019-06-27T19:01:44  <moneyball> hi
398 2019-06-27T19:01:54  <wumpus> two topics on the list for today: 0.18.1: Backports #16035, depends build cache
399 2019-06-27T19:01:57  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16035 | 0.18.1: Backports by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16035 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
400 2019-06-27T19:02:15  <wumpus> any last minute topic proposals?
401 2019-06-27T19:03:02  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
402 2019-06-27T19:03:05  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
403 2019-06-27T19:03:24  <wumpus> 5 blockers, 1 bugfix, 7(!) things requiring concept ACK
404 2019-06-27T19:03:30  <wumpus> anything to add/remove/merge ?
405 2019-06-27T19:04:03  <provoostenator> I'd like to nominate #16257 for 0.18.1
406 2019-06-27T19:04:05  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16257 | [wallet] abort when attempting to fund a transaction above -maxtxfee by Sjors · Pull Request #16257 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
407 2019-06-27T19:04:33  <achow101> swap #15450 for #16227 please
408 2019-06-27T19:04:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15450 | [GUI] Create wallet menu option by achow101 · Pull Request #15450 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
409 2019-06-27T19:04:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16227 | Refactor CWallets inheritance chain by achow101 · Pull Request #16227 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
410 2019-06-27T19:04:53  <wumpus> provoostenator:if you want to nominate a backport might be better to do it in MarcoFalke 's topic?
411 2019-06-27T19:05:06  <provoostenator> Yes, sorry
412 2019-06-27T19:05:48  <wumpus> oh, it's not merged yet to master
413 2019-06-27T19:06:11  <wumpus> ok that should be under 'bugfix' the nI suppose
414 2019-06-27T19:07:43  <provoostenator> Based on stats from Blockchair on 0.1 BTC fees, I think quite a few people are firing that footgun (unless there's another wallet that produces exact 0.1 BTC fees).
415 2019-06-27T19:07:59  <wumpus> achow101: done
416 2019-06-27T19:08:25  <wumpus> provoostenator: that's worrying
417 2019-06-27T19:08:31  <provoostenator> https://blockchair.com/bitcoin/transactions?q=fee(10000000)#
418 2019-06-27T19:08:51  <provoostenator> It's beacuse if you set feeRate to "1" that doesn't mean 1 satoshi per byte.
419 2019-06-27T19:09:42  <wumpus> right, sounds like a bug
420 2019-06-27T19:10:04  <sipa> provoostenator: holy crap that's insane
421 2019-06-27T19:10:55  <wumpus> another case of quietly ignoring an error
422 2019-06-27T19:11:03  <wumpus> that's always a red flag
423 2019-06-27T19:11:04  <provoostenator> It rounds down the fee instead of aborting. Which has been the case for years, but the "satoshi per byte" convention is newer, so maybe that's what causes the increase.
424 2019-06-27T19:11:05  <promag> :o
425 2019-06-27T19:11:18  <provoostenator> And the new PSBT methods also have this setting.
426 2019-06-27T19:11:19  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
427 2019-06-27T19:11:32  <sipa> provoostenator: that's 25 BTC in fees this month overall
428 2019-06-27T19:12:01  <promag> this is the miner trolling X)
429 2019-06-27T19:12:23  <provoostenator> Some of these are batches, but quite a few are small txs.
430 2019-06-27T19:12:42  <provoostenator> For big batches something else happens: the user sets a higher fee, but then we round it down.
431 2019-06-27T19:12:54  <provoostenator> Which can cause large batch transactions to get stuck.
432 2019-06-27T19:12:54  <jonasschnelli> ^^
433 2019-06-27T19:13:17  <provoostenator> In both cases, I think throwing an error is just better. User can always override the maxfee, or manually set a fee.
434 2019-06-27T19:13:23  <sipa> agree
435 2019-06-27T19:13:27  <achow101> how is that we are only running into this now? hasn't this behavior been in for ages?
436 2019-06-27T19:13:57  <wumpus> agree
437 2019-06-27T19:14:12  <promag> https://blockchair.com/bitcoin/transactions?q=fee(20000000)#
438 2019-06-27T19:14:27  <wumpus> achow101: no one ever reported it AFAIK
439 2019-06-27T19:14:35  <promag> those are old
440 2019-06-27T19:14:59  <wumpus> this is the first time I hear this is the case, it sounds awful
441 2019-06-27T19:15:10  <sipa> it looks like in december 2017 there were ~100 cases of this per day as well
442 2019-06-27T19:15:22  <wumpus> +1 for merging provoostenator's PR soon and doing 0.18.1
443 2019-06-27T19:15:43  <provoostenator> I'll be quick to address feedback on the PR.
444 2019-06-27T19:16:15  <wumpus> thanks
445 2019-06-27T19:16:15  <jonasschnelli> thanks provoostenator for bringing this to attention
446 2019-06-27T19:16:16  <promag> sipa: that was the ath period?
447 2019-06-27T19:16:33  <sipa> promag: i just looked at dec 20th 2017
448 2019-06-27T19:16:34  <provoostenator> December 2017 was fee madness yes.
449 2019-06-27T19:16:51  <provoostenator> So people start manually setting the fee.
450 2019-06-27T19:17:07  <sipa> so this is certainly not a few phenomenon, and also not the first that it seems actually impactful
451 2019-06-27T19:17:13  <sipa> s/few/new/
452 2019-06-27T19:17:24  <provoostenator> And also when mempool "weather reports" became popular, and more wallets started supporting fee settings. Most using the satoshi per byte unit.
453 2019-06-27T19:18:03  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
454 2019-06-27T19:18:13  <achow101> ack with fixing it
455 2019-06-27T19:18:19  <wumpus> really wonder why this is never reported, not strange some people complain about high fees at least then :(
456 2019-06-27T19:18:51  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
457 2019-06-27T19:19:35  <wumpus> ok
458 2019-06-27T19:19:40  <wumpus> #topic 0.18.1: Backports #16035 (MarcoFalke)
459 2019-06-27T19:19:42  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16035 | 0.18.1: Backports by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16035 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
460 2019-06-27T19:20:33  <jonasschnelli> maxfee should be batch sane
461 2019-06-27T19:21:35  <wumpus> I don't know what Marco wants to discuss about this topic,doesn't seem like he's here
462 2019-06-27T19:21:47  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
463 2019-06-27T19:21:47  *** shesek has quit IRC
464 2019-06-27T19:21:47  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
465 2019-06-27T19:22:21  <cfields> Marco!
466 2019-06-27T19:22:24  <MarcoFalke> sry
467 2019-06-27T19:22:31  <MarcoFalke> here, hi
468 2019-06-27T19:22:39  <cfields> so close.
469 2019-06-27T19:22:40  <MarcoFalke> I wrapped up on the backports
470 2019-06-27T19:22:41  <promag> cfields: wow
471 2019-06-27T19:22:53  <jonasschnelli> heh
472 2019-06-27T19:23:15  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: ^^ looks like we have a last-minute one by provoostenator and then really want to do 0.18.1
473 2019-06-27T19:23:27  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: thanks
474 2019-06-27T19:23:30  <sipa> promag: all of dec 2017 had 6336 instances; way worse than now
475 2019-06-27T19:23:56  <MarcoFalke> Would be nice if one or two went through my cherry-picks (to check if they are solved correctly) and if the commits itself make sense
476 2019-06-27T19:24:18  <wumpus> yes
477 2019-06-27T19:24:37  <wumpus> #action check MarcoFalke's backports in #16035
478 2019-06-27T19:24:39  <MarcoFalke> provoostenator's fix still needs review. I'd rather have it backported after the existing backports are merged (and reviewed)
479 2019-06-27T19:24:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16035 | 0.18.1: Backports by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16035 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
480 2019-06-27T19:24:53  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: absolutely
481 2019-06-27T19:25:01  <MarcoFalke> I think fanquake and promag already had a look
482 2019-06-27T19:25:04  <wumpus> it should always be in master first
483 2019-06-27T19:25:37  <MarcoFalke> I don't want to nag them again to re-ACK, so my backport branch is final
484 2019-06-27T19:25:55  <wumpus> ok
485 2019-06-27T19:25:55  <ddustin> How do we know the .1 fees aren't miners?
486 2019-06-27T19:26:26  <promag> yes, most of the backports are clean cherry picks, and the others are trivial. Also non critical changes imo.
487 2019-06-27T19:26:32  <sipa> ddustin: we don't, but 0.1 BTC is a suspicious number
488 2019-06-27T19:26:47  <wumpus> ddustin: we don't, though it seems unlikely for miners to pay themselves so much fees when they can include their own transactions for free
489 2019-06-27T19:27:06  <promag> are we tagging 0.18.1 after that PR?
490 2019-06-27T19:27:21  <wumpus> promag: I think so
491 2019-06-27T19:27:29  <MarcoFalke> If nothing else pops up, hehe
492 2019-06-27T19:27:39  <wumpus> right
493 2019-06-27T19:28:24  <promag> :(
494 2019-06-27T19:28:34  <promag> I think #13339 should be in 0.18
495 2019-06-27T19:28:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13339 | wallet: Replace %w by wallet name in -walletnotify script by promag · Pull Request #13339 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
496 2019-06-27T19:28:39  <wumpus> #topic depends build cache (cfields)
497 2019-06-27T19:28:50  <wumpus> promag:that's a feature
498 2019-06-27T19:29:20  <wumpus> I don't see why it'd be backported
499 2019-06-27T19:29:49  <promag> multiwallet is kind of useless for integrators without that
500 2019-06-27T19:29:53  <sipa> actually; the cases in dec 2017 were not absurd; they were all paying reasonable feerates for that time
501 2019-06-27T19:29:57  <wumpus> we're talking about 0.18.1 here the 0.19 feature freeze is somewhat further waway
502 2019-06-27T19:30:22  <promag> wumpus: i understand, it's a bit sad it missed 0.18
503 2019-06-27T19:30:40  <wumpus> (2019-09-15 to be exact)
504 2019-06-27T19:30:49  <wumpus> promag: yes, blame windows and its absurd escaping rules
505 2019-06-27T19:31:05  <wumpus> absurd and inconsistent
506 2019-06-27T19:31:20  <cfields> So for the travis/depends bottleneck issue, I thought of some low-hanging fruit that I think would have quite an impact. By simply sharing the intermediate depends binary packages globally among builds, we avoid situations where dozens of PRs are all rebuilding all of depends.
507 2019-06-27T19:31:20  <cfields> Instead, the first to finish would send it to the cache server, and each client would check for that package before building it itself. Because all packages-names are deterministically generated and unique, there should be no filename collisions, so maintenance should be effectively zero on the storage side. At most, a cron job to delete the oldest files now and then.
508 2019-06-27T19:31:35  <promag> wumpus: I've asked if we could just ignore windows, let's move to the PR later
509 2019-06-27T19:31:41  <cfields> As a side-effect, it would also kick in and avoid complete depends builds when Travis fails to download its cache.
510 2019-06-27T19:31:42  <cfields> I'll try to hack it together this week. It may be enough that we don't need to make the bigger changes we discussed a few weeks ago.
511 2019-06-27T19:32:17  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
512 2019-06-27T19:32:35  <wumpus> cfields: how would this cache server work, e.g. how to prevent PRs from uploading arbitrary binary dependencies, or do you intend to build them outside of travis?
513 2019-06-27T19:32:40  <MarcoFalke> cfields: The cache would be read-write by anyone?
514 2019-06-27T19:33:14  <wumpus> this has always been the problem with uploading any kind of data from travis
515 2019-06-27T19:33:28  <achow101> you can configure travis to have local secrets as environment variables
516 2019-06-27T19:33:48  <achow101> so you have an api key or something in one of the travis environment vars that lets you upload to the server
517 2019-06-27T19:33:50  <promag> achow101: I could write a PR to dump those secrets?
518 2019-06-27T19:33:59  *** timothy has quit IRC
519 2019-06-27T19:34:04  <MarcoFalke> You can disable secrets for prs
520 2019-06-27T19:34:13  <cfields> wumpus: Indeed. It's also going to be a problem with some of the other, more complicated splits that we discussed. I figure this is a much smaller surface to experiment with.
521 2019-06-27T19:34:20  <wumpus> for branches that would be OK, that's proabably enough
522 2019-06-27T19:34:53  <wumpus> no one is going to merge a PR that dumps secrets and if so we have much bigger issues :)
523 2019-06-27T19:35:05  <MarcoFalke> I feel like the same problem would be solved by having a shorter cache expiry on travis for pull requests
524 2019-06-27T19:35:17  <cfields> wumpus: I'm thinking it may be possible to leverage github tags somehow for "allowed to cache" or so. That way the cache is always primed before another PR branches from it.
525 2019-06-27T19:35:35  <wumpus> I'm sad that we need this
526 2019-06-27T19:35:37  <achow101> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/environment-variables#defining-encrypted-variables-in-travisyml
527 2019-06-27T19:35:44  <wumpus> so the alternative CI ideas were a dead end?
528 2019-06-27T19:36:00  <achow101> travis lets you encrypt variables, but it's not available for PRs for the reason that promag said
529 2019-06-27T19:36:22  <MarcoFalke> Travis already re-generates and caches depends on master, the pull requests are just too slow to pick it up, since they still have their own cache
530 2019-06-27T19:36:28  <jonasschnelli> semaphore2 would have a nice cache tool
531 2019-06-27T19:36:37  <cfields> wumpus: nono, this was just something that occured to me today. I thought it was a good idea, but if you don't like it, no big deal.
532 2019-06-27T19:36:42  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
533 2019-06-27T19:36:42  <jonasschnelli> that lets you manually control the key/storage-blobs
534 2019-06-27T19:36:59  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: semaphore2 sounds great, but it doesn't allow viewing the test logs?!?
535 2019-06-27T19:37:07  <MarcoFalke> cfields: Have you seen my comment?
536 2019-06-27T19:37:17  <jonasschnelli> they promised to get this done in the next days...
537 2019-06-27T19:37:27  <wumpus> cfields: it just feels so hacky to implement our own caching on an external server because travis is too stupid to handle that correctly, it seems a base thing !
538 2019-06-27T19:37:30  <jonasschnelli> but,.. maybe its something we should follow but not do now
539 2019-06-27T19:37:50  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2019-06-27T19:38:16  <wumpus> cfields: I'm not against your idea, but it seems to go from bad to worse, what's the next thing we have to implement for them :)
541 2019-06-27T19:38:41  <jonasschnelli> indeed
542 2019-06-27T19:38:45  <cfields> MarcoFalke: yes, that's what I was attempting to address. All PRs would immediately have access to those files instead of waiting on the cache.
543 2019-06-27T19:39:00  <jonasschnelli> since we are customer of travis, can we not request a feature?
544 2019-06-27T19:39:21  <wumpus> that will probably take too long, if they pick it up
545 2019-06-27T19:39:28  <jonasschnelli> very likely
546 2019-06-27T19:39:28  <cfields> wumpus: I'm not sure that's fair. They have storage/upload capabilities, but we're just using the cache.
547 2019-06-27T19:39:32  <MarcoFalke> cfields: With immediately you mean "after the depends built finished"?
548 2019-06-27T19:40:28  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
549 2019-06-27T19:41:00  <wumpus> cfields: oh we'd be using their upload/storage capabilities?
550 2019-06-27T19:41:11  <MarcoFalke> So we'd have to wait either until our own depends server finishes the depends built or until travis finishes it. I don't see the difference
551 2019-06-27T19:41:12  <wumpus> cfields: that makes sense, I wasn't aware of that
552 2019-06-27T19:41:13  <cfields> MarcoFalke: I mean: PR1 is created which touches depends, then PR2 is created, then PR1 is merged, PR2 rebuilds depends next time it's bumped whether it touched them or not.
553 2019-06-27T19:41:23  <cfields> (I believe I typed that out right)
554 2019-06-27T19:41:34  <wumpus> cfields: I thought this would have to be some external server run by ourselves
555 2019-06-27T19:41:39  <promag> cfields: also doesn't work for prs
556 2019-06-27T19:41:56  <cfields> wumpus: well, that was my open question, but I guess you've answered it.
557 2019-06-27T19:42:09  <cfields> promag: wait, really?
558 2019-06-27T19:42:20  <promag> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/uploading-artifacts/
559 2019-06-27T19:42:36  <promag> is this what you mean?
560 2019-06-27T19:43:03  <cfields> promag: ugh. Ok. That's probably why we don't do this already, huh? :)
561 2019-06-27T19:43:41  <achow101> promag: I don't believe that any blocks you from making the upload part of your script itself
562 2019-06-27T19:44:28  <cfields> Ok, I'll go back to the drawing board. Thanks, all.
563 2019-06-27T19:44:47  <MarcoFalke> cfields: I wonder what would happen if we disabled the cache for pull requests completely
564 2019-06-27T19:44:47  <wumpus> thanks cfields for working on this
565 2019-06-27T19:44:59  <MarcoFalke> So they would always get the freshest cache from master
566 2019-06-27T19:45:52  <wumpus> that seems preferable, as long as the PR doesn't change depends (in which case you can expect slowness anyway)
567 2019-06-27T19:45:56  <promag> achow101: true, but then you have to manage all of that
568 2019-06-27T19:46:20  <cfields> MarcoFalke: Hmm, let's take a look after the meeting?
569 2019-06-27T19:46:36  <MarcoFalke> I guess it would make it impossible to run travis on pulls that change depends (as pointed out by wumpus)
570 2019-06-27T19:46:37  <cfields> I wasn't aware you could configure that.
571 2019-06-27T19:46:49  <cfields> (or forgot)
572 2019-06-27T19:47:21  <wumpus> right
573 2019-06-27T19:47:29  <cfields> MarcoFalke: each push would just nuke its own cache and rebuild, I think?
574 2019-06-27T19:49:18  <MarcoFalke> So maybe we could wipe all pull request caches after 1-3 days?
575 2019-06-27T19:49:43  <MarcoFalke> Not a perfect solution, but might approximate well enough
576 2019-06-27T19:50:24  <wumpus> if it's better than it's better
577 2019-06-27T19:50:31  <cfields> MarcoFalke: are there options for that now as well?
578 2019-06-27T19:50:58  <MarcoFalke> I could write a script for it (and ping travis on my issue from last year)
579 2019-06-27T19:51:22  <cfields> script via api?
580 2019-06-27T19:51:29  <cfields> Either way, +1 on the ping :)
581 2019-06-27T19:51:38  <wumpus> it's definitely possible to wipe caches through the API
582 2019-06-27T19:51:46  <wumpus> per PR or for all of them
583 2019-06-27T19:53:19  <cfields> Ok. Going to have to think on it some. But +1 for whatever makes it better.
584 2019-06-27T19:53:31  <wumpus> ok, that concludes the meeting I think
585 2019-06-27T19:54:44  <wumpus> thanks everyone
586 2019-06-27T19:54:47  <wumpus> #endmeeting
587 2019-06-27T19:54:47  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jun 27 19:54:47 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
588 2019-06-27T19:54:47  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-06-27-19.01.html
589 2019-06-27T19:54:47  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-06-27-19.01.txt
590 2019-06-27T19:54:47  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-06-27-19.01.log.html
591 2019-06-27T19:55:17  <promag> correct me if i'm wrong, what we really wish for is depends/built cached across pr's? (cache by last depends commit, conf params, arc etc)
592 2019-06-27T19:55:19  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
593 2019-06-27T19:56:14  <cfields> promag: yes. That's how it currently works. But it's racy, and there are some nasty pitfalls.
594 2019-06-27T19:56:49  <promag> ok :)
595 2019-06-27T19:57:36  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
596 2019-06-27T19:58:33  <promag> wumpus: whenever you can https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13339#issuecomment-504653790
597 2019-06-27T19:58:37  <jonasschnelli> cfields: why is it racy? Do they use non-atomic copies/overwrites?
598 2019-06-27T20:00:20  <cfields> promag: say I have a PR that changes one of the base depends files, say depends/Makefile. That will cause all of depends to be rebuilt for that PR.  When it's merged into master, the master branch is rebuilt and the depends are cached at that point. But all existing PRs have their own cache already from the previous master build. So when they're rebased to master, they have to rebuild everything again.
599 2019-06-27T20:01:14  *** spinza has quit IRC
600 2019-06-27T20:01:15  <cfields> So basically touching depends/ causes a huge slowdown across all PRs and builds for a while.
601 2019-06-27T20:02:10  <jonasschnelli> bah...
602 2019-06-27T20:02:12  <cfields> promag: it looks like only the addon is disabled for PRs, not the artifact tool?
603 2019-06-27T20:02:20  <promag> cfields: "So when they're rebased to master, they have to rebuild everything again." why?
604 2019-06-27T20:03:22  <promag> uploading artifacts belongs to the deployment step, which travis skips for prs, see https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/#pull-requests
605 2019-06-27T20:03:48  <cfields> promag: because their depends are now stale, master bumped something.
606 2019-06-27T20:03:52  <cfields> blah, ok.
607 2019-06-27T20:04:13  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
608 2019-06-27T20:04:23  *** goatpig has quit IRC
609 2019-06-27T20:04:24  *** Guest45841 has quit IRC
610 2019-06-27T20:04:40  <jonasschnelli> cfields: Yeah. I guess it has to. Writing with moving can be make atomic. But I guess if a worker is reading the cache while another worker is writing the same is problematic. They probably lock the cache during reads.
611 2019-06-27T20:05:03  <jonasschnelli> *can be made atomic
612 2019-06-27T20:05:03  <cfields> jonasschnelli: yep.
613 2019-06-27T20:05:34  <jonasschnelli> Though writing 40MB should be a matter of ms'es
614 2019-06-27T20:05:38  <cfields> jonasschnelli: it's also a question of inheritance, though. Who pulls from whom and when?
615 2019-06-27T20:05:47  <cfields> That's the main complication.
616 2019-06-27T20:05:53  <jonasschnelli> I guess that fallback model makes sense to me.
617 2019-06-27T20:06:09  <jonasschnelli> Check if the branch has a cache or fall back to master (or more grained)
618 2019-06-27T20:06:16  <promag> but we aren't changing depends that much are we?
619 2019-06-27T20:06:53  <jonasschnelli> can't we not just cache single depends packages instead of a whole host package?
620 2019-06-27T20:07:32  <cfields> jonasschnelli: that's close to what I was suggesting.
621 2019-06-27T20:07:38  <jonasschnelli> like md5( host || package-name || package-version)
622 2019-06-27T20:07:55  <cfields> jonasschnelli: s/md5/sha2, and that's how it currently works :)
623 2019-06-27T20:08:07  <jonasschnelli> aha...
624 2019-06-27T20:08:10  <jonasschnelli> TIL
625 2019-06-27T20:08:34  <jonasschnelli> cfields: but that is how the depends internally caches... right?
626 2019-06-27T20:08:36  <cfields> It recurses through the dependency chain, though.
627 2019-06-27T20:08:42  <jonasschnelli> but not how we write it to the travis cache?
628 2019-06-27T20:08:59  <cfields> jonasschnelli: we just write those files to the cache, and the next build picks them up...
629 2019-06-27T20:09:19  <cfields> I was suggesting that we could somehow write them to a big global cache, and let future builds try to fetch them before building themselves.
630 2019-06-27T20:09:32  <jonasschnelli> yes...
631 2019-06-27T20:09:49  *** scoop has quit IRC
632 2019-06-27T20:09:51  <jonasschnelli> need to read back... I guess
633 2019-06-27T20:10:20  <cfields> that operation can be write-only, because 2 package names will never collide with each-other. So it would be trivial to automate.
634 2019-06-27T20:10:40  <jonasschnelli> I was just hopping,... lets assume Qt dependency has changed, we grab all the others (since sha2( host || package-name || package-version) is cached) and just compile the new Qt
635 2019-06-27T20:10:42  <cfields> But the question of access causes it to break down, as everyone was quick to remind me :(
636 2019-06-27T20:11:10  <cfields> Yes, that's how it works.
637 2019-06-27T20:11:32  <cfields> The problem is when, for example, openssl is changed. That ALSO causes qt rebuilds.
638 2019-06-27T20:11:50  <cfields> So anything that's more low-level than the package descriptors screws everything up for a while.
639 2019-06-27T20:11:57  <jonasschnelli> so take the dependency package & version into the hash?
640 2019-06-27T20:12:56  <cfields> jonasschnelli: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/depends/funcs.mk#L42
641 2019-06-27T20:13:16  <jonasschnelli> I should be quite... :)
642 2019-06-27T20:13:31  <cfields> Not exactly the easiest thing to read, but it takes all of that into account. The hashes are nearly guaranteed to be unique.
643 2019-06-27T20:13:58  <cfields> jonasschnelli: you're fine! It's not exactly straightforward.
644 2019-06-27T20:14:04  <jonasschnelli> [22:10:42]  <cfields>	But the question of access causes it to break down, as everyone was quick to remind me :(
645 2019-06-27T20:14:20  <jonasschnelli> ^ -- do you mean with that that reading while writing is racy?
646 2019-06-27T20:14:46  <cfields> jonasschnelli: no, I mean allowing open access to upload somewhere without being DoS'd.
647 2019-06-27T20:15:08  <jonasschnelli> Oh. I see.
648 2019-06-27T20:15:29  <cfields> That's why we've ultimately avoided having Travis do any useful uploading.
649 2019-06-27T20:15:30  <jonasschnelli> I was trying to check wether with samephores2 cache manager this would be possible...
650 2019-06-27T20:15:42  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
651 2019-06-27T20:15:51  <jonasschnelli> since they have key/blob storage, I think it would
652 2019-06-27T20:16:13  <cfields> So I think the ideal solution for us would be to allow for merged caches.
653 2019-06-27T20:16:25  <cfields> I'll have to think about it some more, but I believe that would be perfect.
654 2019-06-27T20:16:45  <jonasschnelli> cfields: merged between branches?
655 2019-06-27T20:16:56  <jonasschnelli> (single global cache)
656 2019-06-27T20:17:14  <cfields> We have a per-branch (master) cache as well a per-PR branch. If both of those were fetched and extracted, I think we would almost always skip rebuilding.
657 2019-06-27T20:17:22  <cfields> s/we/Travis.
658 2019-06-27T20:17:52  <jonasschnelli> I see.
659 2019-06-27T20:17:58  <cfields> Right now, according to MarcoFalke, we can choose.
660 2019-06-27T20:18:23  <cfields> Hmm.
661 2019-06-27T20:19:45  <cfields> I'll experiment with that. Might be easy for Travis to implement, too.
662 2019-06-27T20:20:43  <jonasschnelli> Yes. Asking them costs nothing...
663 2019-06-27T20:24:44  <jb55> re promag on #13339: yes please! walletnotify seems kind of gimped now without it getting the walletname. running patched versions isn't fun either :[
664 2019-06-27T20:24:47  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13339 | wallet: Replace %w by wallet name in -walletnotify script by promag · Pull Request #13339 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
665 2019-06-27T20:25:24  <jonasschnelli> jb55: auto debug log parsing notification! Yay!
666 2019-06-27T20:26:20  <promag> jonasschnelli: that's some badass suggestion
667 2019-06-27T20:26:48  <promag> jonasschnelli: multiprocess ipc with debug log parsing ;)
668 2019-06-27T20:27:40  <promag> but really, say you have 10s of wallets loaded, how can you know which wallet to call gettransaction?
669 2019-06-27T20:27:48  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
670 2019-06-27T20:29:02  <jonasschnelli> promag: just parse [default wallet] AddToWallet f9abce7434904fcf8b5d3c4a6e4e07d25373c7f9c76a216c8fb45027a79b6c0c
671 2019-06-27T20:29:25  <jonasschnelli> something like (.*) AddToWallet (.*)
672 2019-06-27T20:29:48  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
673 2019-06-27T20:29:52  <jonasschnelli> (am I really suggesting this?)
674 2019-06-27T20:31:12  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
675 2019-06-27T20:34:08  <promag> jonasschnelli: just saying that -walletnotify is incomplete, I'm also not fond of the %w thing
676 2019-06-27T20:34:11  <MarcoFalke> cfields: It would be nice if we could seed the last time the depends folder was changed into the hash in the cache name
677 2019-06-27T20:34:33  <jonasschnelli> promag: sure. Your PR makes complete sense to me.
678 2019-06-27T20:34:45  <jonasschnelli> The debug.log -> notification is silly
679 2019-06-27T20:35:00  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
680 2019-06-27T20:35:02  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
681 2019-06-27T20:35:27  *** scoop has quit IRC
682 2019-06-27T20:36:44  *** promag_ has quit IRC
683 2019-06-27T20:37:17  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
684 2019-06-27T20:37:20  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
685 2019-06-27T20:37:36  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
686 2019-06-27T20:37:47  <promag> jonasschnelli: well not really, maybe better than running a patched version ?
687 2019-06-27T20:38:10  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
688 2019-06-27T20:38:18  <promag> jonasschnelli: btw have a look at #16285
689 2019-06-27T20:38:20  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16285 | rpc: Improve scantxoutset response and help message by promag · Pull Request #16285 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
690 2019-06-27T20:38:35  <jonasschnelli> promag: probably... depends on whos doing the patch and in what environment
691 2019-06-27T20:39:37  <cfields> MarcoFalke: then it would be non-deterministic?
692 2019-06-27T20:41:20  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
693 2019-06-27T20:41:23  <MarcoFalke> assume the current travis cache name is `env|sha2`
694 2019-06-27T20:41:41  <MarcoFalke> the new one would be `(env && git log -1 ./depends)|sha2`
695 2019-06-27T20:41:53  <MarcoFalke> Would be deterministic, no?
696 2019-06-27T20:42:09  *** jarthur has quit IRC
697 2019-06-27T20:42:11  <MarcoFalke> and it would change every time depends changes
698 2019-06-27T20:42:51  <MarcoFalke> But it doesn's look like this is possible
699 2019-06-27T20:45:02  <cfields> right, it'd have to be bumped manually.
700 2019-06-27T21:00:01  *** Guest10124 has quit IRC
701 2019-06-27T21:04:01  *** captjakk has quit IRC
702 2019-06-27T21:05:25  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
703 2019-06-27T21:05:43  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
704 2019-06-27T21:06:23  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
705 2019-06-27T21:10:38  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
706 2019-06-27T21:13:25  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
707 2019-06-27T21:14:39  *** jackgassett has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
708 2019-06-27T21:16:51  *** d_t has quit IRC
709 2019-06-27T21:17:46  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
710 2019-06-27T21:18:45  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
711 2019-06-27T21:20:39  *** captjakk has quit IRC
712 2019-06-27T21:21:43  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
713 2019-06-27T21:22:00  *** scoop has quit IRC
714 2019-06-27T21:22:34  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
715 2019-06-27T21:25:17  *** ddustin has quit IRC
716 2019-06-27T21:27:31  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
717 2019-06-27T21:30:49  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
718 2019-06-27T21:31:34  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
719 2019-06-27T21:34:47  <luke-jr> no meeting highlight today :o
720 2019-06-27T21:36:07  *** hugohn has quit IRC
721 2019-06-27T21:37:47  *** Victor_sueca has quit IRC
722 2019-06-27T21:38:31  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
723 2019-06-27T21:38:50  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
724 2019-06-27T21:38:50  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
725 2019-06-27T21:40:15  *** ddustin has quit IRC
726 2019-06-27T21:40:34  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
727 2019-06-27T21:43:32  *** surja795 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
728 2019-06-27T21:48:51  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
729 2019-06-27T21:49:28  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
730 2019-06-27T21:52:00  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
731 2019-06-27T21:53:05  *** scoop has quit IRC
732 2019-06-27T22:04:22  *** scoop has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
733 2019-06-27T22:08:17  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
734 2019-06-27T22:08:34  *** scoop has quit IRC
735 2019-06-27T22:19:21  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
736 2019-06-27T22:20:32  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
737 2019-06-27T22:21:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
738 2019-06-27T22:21:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider closed pull request #16192: Wallet: Catches situations where capping on maxtxfee drops the fee too low (master...issue-10122) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16192
739 2019-06-27T22:21:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
740 2019-06-27T22:22:03  *** michaelsdunn1 has quit IRC
741 2019-06-27T22:24:34  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
742 2019-06-27T22:29:21  *** surja795 has quit IRC
743 2019-06-27T22:30:01  *** ddustin has quit IRC
744 2019-06-27T22:30:40  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
745 2019-06-27T22:33:49  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
746 2019-06-27T22:35:28  *** ddustin has quit IRC
747 2019-06-27T22:38:22  *** hugohn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
748 2019-06-27T22:38:23  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
749 2019-06-27T22:39:07  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
750 2019-06-27T22:43:27  *** hugohn has quit IRC
751 2019-06-27T22:53:03  *** bralyclow has quit IRC
752 2019-06-27T22:58:13  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
753 2019-06-27T22:58:53  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
754 2019-06-27T23:02:49  *** rafalcpp_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
755 2019-06-27T23:03:52  *** rafalcpp has quit IRC
756 2019-06-27T23:04:13  *** queip has quit IRC
757 2019-06-27T23:05:05  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
758 2019-06-27T23:08:14  *** captjakk has quit IRC
759 2019-06-27T23:10:23  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
760 2019-06-27T23:34:47  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
761 2019-06-27T23:34:52  *** surja795 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
762 2019-06-27T23:38:48  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
763 2019-06-27T23:47:09  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
764 2019-06-27T23:48:36  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
765 2019-06-27T23:55:29  *** bralyclow has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
766 2019-06-27T23:57:07  *** EagleTM has quit IRC