1 2019-08-01T00:00:03  *** Waithamai1 has quit IRC
  2 2019-08-01T00:03:55  *** Mark_Cockrell has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-08-01T00:08:41  *** davterra has quit IRC
  4 2019-08-01T00:20:17  *** lightlike has quit IRC
  5 2019-08-01T00:21:12  <emilengler> WHere does bitcoin-qt deals with the config?
  6 2019-08-01T00:22:23  <emilengler> Nevermind, I think I've found it in src/qt/optionsmodel.cpp
  7 2019-08-01T00:31:56  *** promag has quit IRC
  8 2019-08-01T00:36:46  *** laptop500 has quit IRC
  9 2019-08-01T00:37:11  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 10 2019-08-01T00:43:51  *** ptiyoyip has quit IRC
 11 2019-08-01T00:47:38  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-08-01T00:58:47  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2019-08-01T01:00:19  *** Zenton has quit IRC
 14 2019-08-01T01:35:48  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
 15 2019-08-01T01:55:45  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2019-08-01T01:56:28  *** davterra has quit IRC
 17 2019-08-01T01:57:37  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-08-01T02:00:47  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
 19 2019-08-01T02:02:05  *** mzygar has quit IRC
 20 2019-08-01T02:03:42  *** cryptapus_ is now known as cryptapus
 21 2019-08-01T02:11:36  *** YonCole has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-08-01T02:11:37  *** ercwl has quit IRC
 23 2019-08-01T02:18:19  <kallewoof> So, DrahtBot added a bunch of flags to #16440 (BIP322 PR). Not sure I agree with Build system flag, though.
 24 2019-08-01T02:18:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16440 | BIP-322: Generic signed message format by kallewoof · Pull Request #16440 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 25 2019-08-01T02:18:50  <kallewoof> s/flags/labels/
 26 2019-08-01T02:19:56  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 27 2019-08-01T02:19:57  <fanquake> kallewoof: I'll sort that out. The bot isn't great at adding labels to large changes.
 28 2019-08-01T02:20:03  <sipa> kallewoof: i assume that's just because it's touching Makefile.am
 29 2019-08-01T02:20:30  <kallewoof> sipa: You're probably right!
 30 2019-08-01T02:20:44  <kallewoof> fanquake: Thanks :)
 31 2019-08-01T02:25:51  *** brianhoffman has quit IRC
 32 2019-08-01T02:26:55  *** brianhoffman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2019-08-01T02:33:04  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-08-01T02:35:51  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
 35 2019-08-01T03:00:01  *** Mark_Cockrell has quit IRC
 36 2019-08-01T03:04:13  *** liberiga has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-08-01T03:04:26  *** hack_bot has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2019-08-01T03:06:43  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2019-08-01T03:08:56  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 40 2019-08-01T03:09:09  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2019-08-01T03:12:26  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 42 2019-08-01T03:13:04  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-08-01T03:17:22  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 44 2019-08-01T03:18:11  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-08-01T03:18:35  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-08-01T03:41:52  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-08-01T03:43:36  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 48 2019-08-01T04:07:33  *** hebasto has quit IRC
 49 2019-08-01T04:08:50  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-08-01T04:13:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2019-08-01T04:13:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/25f0edd59fee...b7fbf74b980e
 52 2019-08-01T04:13:59  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0b1f4b3 João Barbosa: wallet: Drop unused OldKey
 53 2019-08-01T04:13:59  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b7fbf74 fanquake: Merge #16502: wallet: Drop unused OldKey
 54 2019-08-01T04:14:01  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-08-01T04:15:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-08-01T04:15:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #16502: wallet: Drop unused OldKey (master...2019-07-drop-oldkey) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16502
 57 2019-08-01T04:15:04  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-08-01T04:31:50  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2019-08-01T04:34:22  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 60 2019-08-01T04:46:07  *** davereikher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-08-01T04:55:35  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 62 2019-08-01T04:56:11  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2019-08-01T05:00:52  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 64 2019-08-01T05:16:23  *** YonCole has quit IRC
 65 2019-08-01T05:24:21  *** EF has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-08-01T05:44:00  *** davereikher has quit IRC
 67 2019-08-01T05:49:33  *** Krellan has quit IRC
 68 2019-08-01T05:52:25  *** emilengler has quit IRC
 69 2019-08-01T05:56:13  *** liberiga has quit IRC
 70 2019-08-01T05:58:15  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-08-01T06:00:02  *** hack_bot has quit IRC
 72 2019-08-01T06:02:33  *** mzygar has quit IRC
 73 2019-08-01T06:04:10  *** ao2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2019-08-01T06:04:28  *** ao2 is now known as Guest64082
 75 2019-08-01T06:09:03  *** davereikher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2019-08-01T06:15:59  *** davereikher has quit IRC
 77 2019-08-01T06:16:14  *** davereikher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-08-01T06:16:47  <fanquake> Doing a binary comparison of a bitcoin-qt built from HEAD~1 and HEAD~2, building on Debian using depends. Currently seeing this diff: https://gist.github.com/fanquake/653bb42176d7772578db08a0f8e60f11 . Any suggestions as to what could be causing the difference? bitcoind matches.
 79 2019-08-01T06:17:05  <fanquake> The change in the src between the two is only in Python test code, so that should be it.
 80 2019-08-01T06:17:12  <fanquake> *shouldn't
 81 2019-08-01T06:18:50  *** davereikher has quit IRC
 82 2019-08-01T06:20:26  *** davereikher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-08-01T06:20:47  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
 84 2019-08-01T06:22:11  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
 85 2019-08-01T06:31:23  *** davereikher has quit IRC
 86 2019-08-01T06:33:25  <wumpus> fanquake: do you happen to know what section this difference is in?
 87 2019-08-01T06:34:43  <wumpus> e.g. if it's in .text it might be useful to look at the disassembly
 88 2019-08-01T06:35:59  <fanquake> wumpus Ok. I'm just rebuilding, but assume the same diff will happen again, can check that for you shortly.
 89 2019-08-01T06:36:47  <wumpus> was about to ask that: if you get this difference without any C code changes, then, I wonder if you do get a stable output running it on the same commit again and again
 90 2019-08-01T06:38:07  <fanquake> Hopefully we'll know that shortly 🔍
 91 2019-08-01T06:40:54  <wumpus> if the difference is only in -qt it could suggest non-determinism in one of the qt tools
 92 2019-08-01T06:45:03  *** queip has quit IRC
 93 2019-08-01T06:45:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2019-08-01T06:48:30  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2019-08-01T06:48:32  <wumpus> i don't think i've ever used build-for-compare with bitcoin-qt, at all
 96 2019-08-01T06:50:10  *** promag has quit IRC
 97 2019-08-01T06:55:18  *** EF74 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2019-08-01T06:55:47  *** EF has quit IRC
 99 2019-08-01T06:58:50  <wumpus> running the same compare now
100 2019-08-01T06:59:10  <fanquake> wumpus: testing the new depends --prefix as well?
101 2019-08-01T07:05:59  <fanquake> I've just done master (b7fbf74b980ebb122ae34b142f2cc49b44b92de3) and a dummy commit, still seeing the same difference in bitcoin-qt.
102 2019-08-01T07:08:24  <fanquake> Looks like the difference is in libbitcoinqt_a-qrc_bitcoin_locale.o
103 2019-08-01T07:08:26  <fanquake> .rodata._ZL18qt_resource_struct
104 2019-08-01T07:10:00  <wumpus> no, not using --prefix at the moment, I see a diffrence too between the same commits though, in bitcoin-qt but not bitcoind
105 2019-08-01T07:10:13  <wumpus> so i'm able to reproduce your issue
106 2019-08-01T07:10:53  *** queip has quit IRC
107 2019-08-01T07:12:01  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2019-08-01T07:12:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b7fbf74b980e...6841b013402d
109 2019-08-01T07:12:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c5d3787 Andrew Chow: Allow createwallet to take empty passwords to make unencrypted wallets
110 2019-08-01T07:12:03  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6841b01 MeshCollider: Merge #16394: Allow createwallet to take empty passwords to make unencrypt...
111 2019-08-01T07:12:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-08-01T07:13:01  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2019-08-01T07:13:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider merged pull request #16394: Allow createwallet to take empty passwords to make unencrypted wallets (master...fix-born-enc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16394
114 2019-08-01T07:13:10  <wumpus> fanquake: my guess would be: timestamp metadata in the compiled resource data
115 2019-08-01T07:13:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2019-08-01T07:13:48  <fanquake> meshcollider: If your merging, #15986 probably ready as well.
117 2019-08-01T07:13:50  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15986 | Add unmodified-descriptor-with-checksum to getdescriptorinfo by sipa · Pull Request #15986 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
118 2019-08-01T07:14:11  <wumpus> fanquake: probably, this is an issue that was solved already for gitian deterministic building
119 2019-08-01T07:14:23  <fanquake> wumpus: I know we have at least one RCC related patch
120 2019-08-01T07:14:43  <fanquake> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/depends/patches/qt/fix_rcc_determinism.patch
121 2019-08-01T07:15:16  <fanquake> However if I'm using Qt from depends then that should be included ?
122 2019-08-01T07:16:16  <fanquake> eh right, QT_RCC_SOURCE_DATE_OVERRIDE wont have been set etc
123 2019-08-01T07:16:38  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-08-01T07:17:14  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
125 2019-08-01T07:18:42  *** brianhoffman_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-08-01T07:19:12  *** brianhoffman has quit IRC
127 2019-08-01T07:19:12  *** brianhoffman_ is now known as brianhoffman
128 2019-08-01T07:24:53  <wumpus> (i was not not using qt from the depends for my comparison, just ubuntu 18.04's system one)
129 2019-08-01T07:25:06  *** coinmonks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2019-08-01T07:25:46  <coinmonks> Hey Guys, I am writing an article around Bitcoin codebase activity, anyone wanna look it and give me some  feedback..
131 2019-08-01T07:26:47  <wumpus> fanquake: but yes, going to test the --prefix option next
132 2019-08-01T07:27:09  <fanquake> wumpus: no worries. I'm going to rebuild while exporting that ENV var, and i assume it'll fix the Qt issue. If so I'll probably open a PR to change it to be exported by default in depends.
133 2019-08-01T07:28:27  <wumpus> coinmonks: maybe link it here then people can look if they're interested
134 2019-08-01T07:28:41  <coinmonks> https://medium.com/@gaurav.agrawal/bitcoin-codebase-deep-dive-127a7cb97fbf
135 2019-08-01T07:29:24  <coinmonks> warning - English is my second language..
136 2019-08-01T07:33:24  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-08-01T07:36:19  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
138 2019-08-01T07:37:52  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2019-08-01T07:38:03  *** ossifrage has quit IRC
140 2019-08-01T07:38:07  <coinmonks> I am online if anyone have any feedback,,or they can just leave private notes on the post itself.. thank you every one for contributing on Bitcoin.. :]
141 2019-08-01T07:38:31  *** ossifrage has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2019-08-01T07:42:54  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-08-01T07:45:02  <fanquake> wumpus: yep QT_RCC_SOURCE_DATE_OVERRIDE fixed the issues with bitcoin-qt 🤦
144 2019-08-01T07:47:18  *** davereikher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-08-01T07:49:50  *** EF74 has quit IRC
146 2019-08-01T07:58:28  <coinmonks> how practicalswift generates status reports every month (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16506) ..
147 2019-08-01T07:59:33  <fanquake> coinmonks: your best way of finding out is contacting them directly.
148 2019-08-01T08:00:27  <coinmonks> (y)
149 2019-08-01T08:00:29  <kallewoof> I think practicalswift has a twitter account
150 2019-08-01T08:01:19  <coinmonks> yes, tweeted him
151 2019-08-01T08:02:04  <davereikher> quit
152 2019-08-01T08:02:07  *** davereikher has quit IRC
153 2019-08-01T08:02:37  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-08-01T08:08:10  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-08-01T08:23:34  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: fee_
156 2019-08-01T08:23:54  <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: fee_estimation test failed on master (random fail): https://bitcoinbuilds.org/index.php?ansilog=44accd13-eea0-4aab-a6a4-f0694f12a68f.log#l7207 any idea?
157 2019-08-01T08:24:35  <jonasschnelli> This is probably relevant: https://bitcoinbuilds.org/index.php?ansilog=44accd13-eea0-4aab-a6a4-f0694f12a68f.log#l7024
158 2019-08-01T08:31:09  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-08-01T08:32:18  *** coinmonks has quit IRC
160 2019-08-01T08:38:15  *** laptop500 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-08-01T08:40:14  <wumpus> fanquake: cool, thanks for investigating, might make sense to set it by default in the compare-for-build
162 2019-08-01T08:40:38  *** queip has quit IRC
163 2019-08-01T08:41:10  <fanquake> wumpus: Sure, I can do that.
164 2019-08-01T08:47:08  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
165 2019-08-01T08:56:46  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-08-01T09:00:01  *** Guest64082 has quit IRC
167 2019-08-01T09:00:52  *** ezegom has quit IRC
168 2019-08-01T09:00:53  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
169 2019-08-01T09:16:00  *** tryphe has quit IRC
170 2019-08-01T09:16:28  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2019-08-01T09:19:50  *** indolering has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2019-08-01T09:20:28  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2019-08-01T09:33:40  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-08-01T09:39:29  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-08-01T09:54:30  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2019-08-01T10:01:04  *** queip has quit IRC
177 2019-08-01T10:01:09  *** jonatack has quit IRC
178 2019-08-01T10:06:24  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-08-01T10:11:46  *** mzygar has quit IRC
180 2019-08-01T10:24:16  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2019-08-01T10:31:16  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
182 2019-08-01T10:32:15  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2019-08-01T10:34:24  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2019-08-01T10:38:59  *** mzygar has quit IRC
185 2019-08-01T10:42:30  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-08-01T10:42:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/6841b013402d...75656988ac8e
187 2019-08-01T10:42:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b078067 João Barbosa: gui: Remove unused RPCConsole::tabFocus
188 2019-08-01T10:42:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7565698 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16514: gui: Remove unused RPCConsole::tabFocus
189 2019-08-01T10:42:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2019-08-01T10:43:30  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-08-01T10:43:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16514: gui: Remove unused RPCConsole::tabFocus (master...2019-07-remove-unused-tabfocus) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16514
192 2019-08-01T10:43:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2019-08-01T10:55:02  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-08-01T10:57:27  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2019-08-01T11:01:17  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
196 2019-08-01T11:01:29  *** ezegom has quit IRC
197 2019-08-01T11:01:32  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2019-08-01T11:18:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
199 2019-08-01T11:22:06  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2019-08-01T11:28:28  *** davec has quit IRC
201 2019-08-01T11:28:50  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2019-08-01T11:31:02  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2019-08-01T11:34:33  *** mzygar has quit IRC
204 2019-08-01T11:37:17  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-08-01T11:38:15  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-08-01T11:39:04  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
207 2019-08-01T11:39:28  *** ezegom has quit IRC
208 2019-08-01T11:39:53  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-08-01T11:41:18  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-08-01T11:41:18  *** ezegom has quit IRC
211 2019-08-01T11:45:19  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2019-08-01T11:45:36  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
213 2019-08-01T11:45:58  *** ezegom has quit IRC
214 2019-08-01T11:46:20  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2019-08-01T11:47:47  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2019-08-01T11:47:47  *** ezegom has quit IRC
217 2019-08-01T11:52:07  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
218 2019-08-01T11:58:37  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2019-08-01T12:00:02  *** indolering has quit IRC
220 2019-08-01T12:03:30  *** shesek` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
221 2019-08-01T12:05:20  *** shesek` has quit IRC
222 2019-08-01T12:05:28  *** shesek` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2019-08-01T12:06:33  *** shesek`` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2019-08-01T12:07:37  *** shesek has quit IRC
225 2019-08-01T12:10:31  *** shesek` has quit IRC
226 2019-08-01T12:17:07  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
227 2019-08-01T12:17:45  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2019-08-01T12:21:32  *** Linoleum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2019-08-01T12:31:42  *** mzygar has quit IRC
230 2019-08-01T12:44:28  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
231 2019-08-01T12:45:53  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2019-08-01T12:55:41  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2019-08-01T13:12:29  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2019-08-01T13:12:59  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2019-08-01T13:14:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2019-08-01T13:14:18  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/75656988ac8e...79816278e2fb
237 2019-08-01T13:14:19  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fac2e6a MarcoFalke: test: Fail early on disconnect in mininode.wait_for_*
238 2019-08-01T13:14:19  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7981627 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16470: test: Fail early on disconnect in mininode.wait_for_*
239 2019-08-01T13:14:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2019-08-01T13:15:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2019-08-01T13:15:18  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16470: test: Fail early on disconnect in mininode.wait_for_* (master...1907-testMininodeNoWaitOnDisconnect) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16470
242 2019-08-01T13:15:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
243 2019-08-01T13:17:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2019-08-01T13:17:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/79816278e2fb...e653eeff7651
245 2019-08-01T13:17:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7a0c224 Gert-Jaap Glasbergen: Suppress output in test_bitcoin for expected errors
246 2019-08-01T13:17:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e653eef Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16277: [Tests] Suppress output in test_bitcoin for expected errors
247 2019-08-01T13:17:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2019-08-01T13:18:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2019-08-01T13:18:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16277: [Tests] Suppress output in test_bitcoin for expected errors (master...issue-15944) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16277
250 2019-08-01T13:18:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2019-08-01T13:25:00  *** queip has quit IRC
252 2019-08-01T13:25:31  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2019-08-01T13:28:35  *** mzygar has quit IRC
254 2019-08-01T13:29:56  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-08-01T13:31:13  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-08-01T13:34:45  *** mzygar has quit IRC
257 2019-08-01T13:39:16  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2019-08-01T13:39:17  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2019-08-01T13:41:23  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
260 2019-08-01T13:42:04  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2019-08-01T13:43:43  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2019-08-01T13:43:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto closed pull request #16476: Use ArgsManager::ALLOW_STRING flag explicitly in simple cases (master...20190727-pr16097-new-flags) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16476
263 2019-08-01T13:43:46  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-08-01T13:50:57  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-08-01T13:58:05  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2019-08-01T14:00:53  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2019-08-01T14:01:03  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2019-08-01T14:07:37  <wumpus> #proposedmeetingtopic 0.18.1 ready for final?
269 2019-08-01T14:30:32  *** captjakk has quit IRC
270 2019-08-01T14:30:52  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
271 2019-08-01T14:31:06  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2019-08-01T14:34:41  *** davterra has quit IRC
273 2019-08-01T14:35:56  *** captjakk has quit IRC
274 2019-08-01T14:36:11  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-08-01T14:37:06  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
276 2019-08-01T14:37:38  *** davterra has quit IRC
277 2019-08-01T14:38:11  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2019-08-01T14:39:19  *** obsrver has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-08-01T14:44:19  *** jonatack has quit IRC
280 2019-08-01T14:46:39  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-08-01T14:50:09  *** d_t has quit IRC
282 2019-08-01T14:54:36  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
283 2019-08-01T14:56:15  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
284 2019-08-01T14:57:10  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2019-08-01T15:00:01  *** Linoleum has quit IRC
286 2019-08-01T15:01:12  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
287 2019-08-01T15:03:21  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2019-08-01T15:04:02  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2019-08-01T15:04:46  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
290 2019-08-01T15:05:47  *** esotericnonsense has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-08-01T15:14:33  *** victorSN has quit IRC
292 2019-08-01T15:14:34  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
293 2019-08-01T15:15:14  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2019-08-01T15:15:36  *** [RuCTFE]tswr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2019-08-01T15:19:52  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
296 2019-08-01T15:23:42  *** setpill has quit IRC
297 2019-08-01T15:25:56  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-08-01T15:29:11  *** ezegom has quit IRC
299 2019-08-01T15:29:50  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
300 2019-08-01T15:31:25  *** ezegom has quit IRC
301 2019-08-01T15:31:38  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2019-08-01T15:35:30  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2019-08-01T15:37:40  *** dgfhdfg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2019-08-01T15:40:33  *** mzygar has quit IRC
305 2019-08-01T15:48:29  <emilengler> Is the path where the qt config file is being stored somewhere set in the code? Or is it the QSettings default?
306 2019-08-01T15:51:51  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-08-01T16:01:11  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
308 2019-08-01T16:03:09  *** mdunnio_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-08-01T16:03:44  *** davterra has quit IRC
310 2019-08-01T16:05:28  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
311 2019-08-01T16:09:00  <sipa> emilengler: i believe it's a platform dependent default
312 2019-08-01T16:11:06  <emilengler> sipa: My question was if it is somewhere specified by code or by qt
313 2019-08-01T16:13:12  <jonasschnelli> emilengler: by QT
314 2019-08-01T16:13:17  <jonasschnelli> we use the default path
315 2019-08-01T16:14:07  <jonasschnelli> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsettings.html
316 2019-08-01T16:15:47  <emilengler> jonasschnelli: Thank you
317 2019-08-01T16:16:17  <jonasschnelli> emilengler: I think if you pass "-resetguisettings" at startup you'll get a backup .ini file in your datadir...
318 2019-08-01T16:16:24  <jonasschnelli> (that maybe helps if you want to inspect)
319 2019-08-01T16:18:08  *** ezegom has quit IRC
320 2019-08-01T16:18:31  <emilengler> And where is the config file initial be loaded? In src/qt/bitcoin.cpp or src/qt/intro.cpp
321 2019-08-01T16:19:20  *** mdunnio_ has quit IRC
322 2019-08-01T16:21:09  <jonasschnelli> emilengler: I think whenever it touches QSettings
323 2019-08-01T16:21:28  <jonasschnelli> mainly qt/optionsmodel.cpp
324 2019-08-01T16:21:53  <jonasschnelli> certainly when there is .setValue() or value()
325 2019-08-01T16:23:12  <jonasschnelli> First "read" is probably in GetLangTerritory()
326 2019-08-01T16:24:08  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
327 2019-08-01T16:29:18  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
328 2019-08-01T16:33:34  *** darosior has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2019-08-01T16:34:54  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2019-08-01T16:35:22  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
331 2019-08-01T16:35:37  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2019-08-01T16:36:53  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
333 2019-08-01T16:43:28  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-08-01T16:49:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2019-08-01T16:49:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #16519: guix: Change manifest to use channels and inferiors (master...2019-06-guix-channels-and-inferiors) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16519
336 2019-08-01T16:49:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
337 2019-08-01T16:52:05  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
338 2019-08-01T16:52:25  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2019-08-01T16:55:05  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
340 2019-08-01T16:57:01  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
341 2019-08-01T17:00:21  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
342 2019-08-01T17:00:38  <MarcoFalke> [04:23] <jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: fee_
343 2019-08-01T17:00:45  <MarcoFalke> This and others should be fixed in #16493
344 2019-08-01T17:00:47  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16493 | test: Fix test failures by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16493 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
345 2019-08-01T17:01:14  <jonasschnelli> nice!
346 2019-08-01T17:02:40  <jonasschnelli> I can't attend at todays meeting (swiss national day and some fam. duties).
347 2019-08-01T17:02:54  <jonasschnelli> If someone wants to pickup my. topic (bitcoin-dev mailing list moderation), feel free
348 2019-08-01T17:03:54  *** ljlkjlger has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2019-08-01T17:04:07  <jonasschnelli> I propose that we add more moderators to shorten the moderation lag which has been between >24h, thus makes debates cumbersome
350 2019-08-01T17:04:19  <jonasschnelli> Eventually there are some volunteers for moderation, ideally neutral people
351 2019-08-01T17:11:10  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
352 2019-08-01T17:15:25  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
353 2019-08-01T17:31:05  *** afk11 has quit IRC
354 2019-08-01T17:31:30  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2019-08-01T17:43:27  *** mzygar has quit IRC
356 2019-08-01T17:44:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2019-08-01T17:44:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Remagpie opened pull request #16521: wallet/rpc: Use the default maxfeerate value as BTC/kB (master...maxfeerate-as-rate) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16521
358 2019-08-01T17:44:04  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2019-08-01T17:55:04  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2019-08-01T18:00:01  *** [RuCTFE]tswr has quit IRC
361 2019-08-01T18:05:25  *** nijak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
362 2019-08-01T18:05:52  *** nijak_ has quit IRC
363 2019-08-01T18:10:56  *** gnomus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2019-08-01T18:16:09  <dongcarl> Serialization question: in an `Unserialize`, is it possible to do something like this: `s >> static_cast<uint8_t>(m_network_id);`? Or do I have to split this up? `m_network_id` is an `enum class` backed by `uint8_t`
365 2019-08-01T18:16:23  *** ercwl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2019-08-01T18:17:50  *** reallll has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
367 2019-08-01T18:18:19  <sipa> dongcarl: i belive static_cast<uint8_t&>(m_network_id) will work
368 2019-08-01T18:18:39  * dongcarl trying
369 2019-08-01T18:19:04  <sipa> seems not
370 2019-08-01T18:19:34  <dongcarl> yeah... "invalid static_cast from type ‘NetworkID’ to type ‘uint8_t&’"
371 2019-08-01T18:19:52  <sipa> though you can use `uint8_t x; s >> x; m_network_id = x;`
372 2019-08-01T18:20:13  <dongcarl> sipa: Yeah I was using that before, just thought there might be something more elegant haha
373 2019-08-01T18:21:13  <sipa> dongcarl: in my (long outdated) serialization rework #10785 i have a "READWRITEAS(type, value)"
374 2019-08-01T18:21:17  *** belcher has quit IRC
375 2019-08-01T18:21:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10785 | Serialization improvements by sipa · Pull Request #10785 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
376 2019-08-01T18:21:55  <sipa> which would let you just write READWRITEAS(uint8_t, m_networkid) for both serialization and deserialization
377 2019-08-01T18:21:55  <dongcarl> sipa: That can still be used if we're not using the `SerializationOp` magic?
378 2019-08-01T18:23:37  <sipa> actually i suspect it won't work here; references need to be convertible for this
379 2019-08-01T18:25:34  <dongcarl> `s >> *(uint8_t *)&m_network_id;` worked
380 2019-08-01T18:25:52  <dongcarl> which is... cool i guess
381 2019-08-01T18:26:04  *** reallll is now known as belcher
382 2019-08-01T18:27:03  <sipa> dongcarl: i'm not sure that's legal
383 2019-08-01T18:27:55  <sipa> s >> *static_cast<uint8_t*>(&m_network_id) does not work
384 2019-08-01T18:28:40  <sipa> you can always access the byte representation of other objects, which means it's not UB to do this, but i'm not convinced it's guaranteed to have the desired effect
385 2019-08-01T18:29:48  <dongcarl> sipa: Oh it's a reinterpret cast of some kind?
386 2019-08-01T18:30:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
387 2019-08-01T18:30:10  <sipa> yeah, it's a reinterpret cast
388 2019-08-01T18:30:29  <sipa> i suspect that the representation of a class enum is defined to be equal to its underlying int type, which would make this correct
389 2019-08-01T18:30:33  <sipa> but i'm not entirely sure
390 2019-08-01T18:31:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2019-08-01T18:32:30  <dongcarl> Oh well, better to have multiple lines than to be unsure about safety :-) Will probably get optimized by the compiler anyway
392 2019-08-01T18:32:36  <sipa> yes
393 2019-08-01T18:49:27  <achow101> dongcarl: does `static_cast<uint8_t>(m_network_id)` not work?
394 2019-08-01T18:49:43  <dongcarl> achow101: noop :-/
395 2019-08-01T18:50:33  <achow101> you can have `uint8_t id; s >> id; static_cast<NetworkID>(id);
396 2019-08-01T18:50:44  <achow101> just have a uint8_t temp variable
397 2019-08-01T18:50:49  *** ezegom has quit IRC
398 2019-08-01T18:51:11  <sipa> achow101: easier is `uint8_t id; s >> id; m_network_id = NetworkID(id);`
399 2019-08-01T18:52:20  <dongcarl> yup, we're going the temp variable route, sipa didn't know you could do `NetworkID(id)`, neat!
400 2019-08-01T18:55:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
401 2019-08-01T18:55:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #16522: travis: Run functional tests in GUI once (master...1908-testGuiFun) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16522
402 2019-08-01T18:56:00  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
403 2019-08-01T19:00:00  <moneyball> meeting?
404 2019-08-01T19:00:04  <wumpus> #startmeeting
405 2019-08-01T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Aug  1 19:00:04 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
406 2019-08-01T19:00:04  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
407 2019-08-01T19:00:07  <moneyball> https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a
408 2019-08-01T19:00:07  <jnewbery> hi
409 2019-08-01T19:00:21  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral
410 2019-08-01T19:00:27  <provoostenator> hi\
411 2019-08-01T19:00:30  <sdaftuar> hello
412 2019-08-01T19:00:33  <kanzure> hi
413 2019-08-01T19:00:48  <meshcollider> Hi
414 2019-08-01T19:01:08  <achow101> hi
415 2019-08-01T19:01:11  * jonasschnelli not really here
416 2019-08-01T19:01:19  <wumpus> four proposed topics today in https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a, though jonasschnelli is not here
417 2019-08-01T19:01:22  <wumpus> right
418 2019-08-01T19:01:36  *** Kvaciral has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
419 2019-08-01T19:01:36  <jamesob> hi
420 2019-08-01T19:01:42  <sipa> hi
421 2019-08-01T19:01:43  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
422 2019-08-01T19:01:50  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
423 2019-08-01T19:02:11  <wumpus> 7 PRs (!) left in blockers, also 7 things chasing concept ACK
424 2019-08-01T19:02:17  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
425 2019-08-01T19:02:33  <gleb> hi
426 2019-08-01T19:02:53  <wumpus> anything to add/remove?
427 2019-08-01T19:03:08  <wumpus> or more or less ready for merge?
428 2019-08-01T19:03:12  <sdaftuar> i'll beg again for review on #15759
429 2019-08-01T19:03:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15759 | [p2p] Add 2 outbound blocks-only connections by sdaftuar · Pull Request #15759 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
430 2019-08-01T19:03:41  <wumpus> we should probably refuse to add anything more to high prio until 15759 is merged :-)
431 2019-08-01T19:03:51  <sdaftuar> no argument from me :)
432 2019-08-01T19:03:59  <MarcoFalke> ok, then just merge it, no?
433 2019-08-01T19:04:21  <jamesob> I said I'd review it again and I did. still A++++++ 10/10
434 2019-08-01T19:04:24  <sdaftuar> it only has one ack, i believe, so probably premature
435 2019-08-01T19:04:26  <wumpus> well it needs review first
436 2019-08-01T19:04:48  <sdaftuar> jamesob: thank you!
437 2019-08-01T19:04:57  <wumpus> maybe something for the review club, though, possibly too difficult
438 2019-08-01T19:06:11  <ariard> will give it a try, at least on code changes, not on p2p implications
439 2019-08-01T19:06:21  <wumpus> thanks!
440 2019-08-01T19:06:24  <jonatack> same
441 2019-08-01T19:07:07  <wumpus> anything to discuss about the issues needing concept ACK?
442 2019-08-01T19:08:11  <aj> i think i'll close #16229 in favour of #16060
443 2019-08-01T19:08:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16229 | Standardise deployment handling by ajtowns · Pull Request #16229 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
444 2019-08-01T19:08:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16060 | Bury bip9 deployments by jnewbery · Pull Request #16060 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
445 2019-08-01T19:08:52  <aj> doesn't #14895 already have conceptacks?
446 2019-08-01T19:08:53  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14895 | Package relay design questions · Issue #14895 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
447 2019-08-01T19:09:03  <jnewbery> I've just pushed to 16060. It's ready for rereview
448 2019-08-01T19:09:10  <jnewbery> (thanks for the review, aj!)
449 2019-08-01T19:09:34  <wumpus> aj: yes, maybe for the best, having two competing PRs open is usually not very productive
450 2019-08-01T19:09:42  <achow101> It seems like #16341 has Concept ACKs, so maybe move it to blockers? At least isn't labeled with "needs conceptual review" anymore
451 2019-08-01T19:09:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16341 | Introduce ScriptPubKeyMan interface and use it for key and script management (aka wallet boxes) by achow101 · Pull Request #16341 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
452 2019-08-01T19:10:03  <wumpus> I think 7 blockers is enough :)
453 2019-08-01T19:10:15  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
454 2019-08-01T19:10:33  <wumpus> otoh doesn't seem you have one yet there
455 2019-08-01T19:10:45  <achow101> it got merged :)
456 2019-08-01T19:11:27  <wumpus> ok moving it then
457 2019-08-01T19:11:29  <provoostenator> I'd love to build on top of The Box, so not opposed to making it high prio.
458 2019-08-01T19:12:06  <wumpus> at least #16363 is almost, or entirely ready for merge, I think
459 2019-08-01T19:12:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16363 | test: Add test for BIP30 duplicate tx by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16363 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
460 2019-08-01T19:13:20  <wumpus> #topic 0.18.1?
461 2019-08-01T19:13:43  <wumpus> rc1 was uploaded almost a week ago, do we have any reports of issues?
462 2019-08-01T19:13:45  <MarcoFalke> I haven't heard of any issues with 18.1rc1
463 2019-08-01T19:13:49  <wumpus> me neither
464 2019-08-01T19:14:05  <MarcoFalke> #action ship it
465 2019-08-01T19:14:38  <wumpus> there's also no bugfixes that need to make it in hard enough to warrant another rc, AFAIK
466 2019-08-01T19:14:45  <wumpus> yess
467 2019-08-01T19:14:46  <achow101> haven't heard anything, but that may be a symptom of no one using it
468 2019-08-01T19:14:56  <wumpus> you never know that...
469 2019-08-01T19:15:34  *** nijak_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
470 2019-08-01T19:15:55  <wumpus> waiting longer will not likely get more people to test it
471 2019-08-01T19:16:01  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
472 2019-08-01T19:16:09  <achow101> ship it!
473 2019-08-01T19:16:46  <wumpus> clear!
474 2019-08-01T19:17:03  <wumpus> #topic is transaction.nVersion signed or unsigned? (BlueMatt)
475 2019-08-01T19:17:08  *** nijak has quit IRC
476 2019-08-01T19:17:13  <BlueMatt> #16513
477 2019-08-01T19:17:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16513 | [RFC] Switch CTransaction::nVersion to an unsigned integer by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #16513 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
478 2019-08-01T19:17:19  <BlueMatt> this came up in rust-bitcoin discussion
479 2019-08-01T19:17:27  <BlueMatt> consens-wise its unsigned, in our code its signed, people are confused
480 2019-08-01T19:17:34  <BlueMatt> concept ack or nack, happy either way
481 2019-08-01T19:17:36  <BlueMatt> just a discussion to have
482 2019-08-01T19:17:39  <achow101> I thought consensus wise it isn't signed
483 2019-08-01T19:17:48  <BlueMatt> indeed, it is unsigned in cnosensus
484 2019-08-01T19:17:51  <BlueMatt> in the code its signed
485 2019-08-01T19:18:08  <sdaftuar> how about we add a comment to think about it if it ever matters?
486 2019-08-01T19:18:18  <wumpus> FWIW, I think it's fairly risky to change the consensus code for no functional change
487 2019-08-01T19:18:19  <MarcoFalke> How can the change even be reviewed? Look at each call site?
488 2019-08-01T19:18:37  <BlueMatt> MarcoFalke: the way I wrote it is to remove nVersion, see every place its accessed, and go read it
489 2019-08-01T19:18:41  <BlueMatt> its....actually not that many
490 2019-08-01T19:18:49  <sipa> one easy way to make sure you have all the call sites is to rename it
491 2019-08-01T19:18:50  <achow101> if our code says it's signed, then doesn't that mean consensus-wise it is signed?
492 2019-08-01T19:18:57  <BlueMatt> but, indeed, I'm happy to take a no, just also kinda wondering if people think libraries should make it signed or unsigned
493 2019-08-01T19:19:11  <BlueMatt> achow101: its casted to unsigned in consensus checks
494 2019-08-01T19:19:13  <sipa> achow101: as in: all call sites either don't care about signedness, or explicitly cast to unsigned before usage
495 2019-08-01T19:19:25  <MarcoFalke> huh, nVersion is still here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16513/files#diff-5cb8d9decaa15620a8f98b0c6c44da9bR289
496 2019-08-01T19:19:29  <BlueMatt> do people think this should be signed or unsigned in rust-bitcoin
497 2019-08-01T19:19:29  <achow101> wth
498 2019-08-01T19:19:36  <wumpus> well, other implementations could make it unsigned, if that makes the code easier
499 2019-08-01T19:19:42  <BlueMatt> like, if its unsigned, people get confused reading crap from rpc
500 2019-08-01T19:19:51  <BlueMatt> if its signed, people may misimplement CSV
501 2019-08-01T19:20:32  <sipa> no strong opinion either way; if people want to change it, i think this is fairly easy to review for correctness
502 2019-08-01T19:20:35  <wumpus> rust-bitcoin is not consensus critical, so the amount at stake for an implementation error is somewhat less their
503 2019-08-01T19:20:53  <MarcoFalke> [15:18] <sipa> one easy way to make sure you have all the call sites is to rename it
504 2019-08-01T19:20:54  <BlueMatt> right
505 2019-08-01T19:20:54  <provoostenator> I can confirm nVersion is a source of confusion :-)
506 2019-08-01T19:20:55  *** esotericnonsense has quit IRC
507 2019-08-01T19:21:25  <BlueMatt> the background is someone got confused parsing rpc output or something similar, and wants to change the unsigned nVersion to signed
508 2019-08-01T19:22:06  <provoostenator> 1 is the same signed and unsigned?
509 2019-08-01T19:22:14  <wumpus> that only gets the direct usage sites though, it's somewhat harder to analyse where the value ends up indirectly
510 2019-08-01T19:22:15  <BlueMatt> anyway, enough discussion, its somewhat minor...in 5 seconds everyone say their prefernce and we'll flip a weighted coin based on the response and close or not :p
511 2019-08-01T19:22:32  <MarcoFalke> +0.001
512 2019-08-01T19:23:01  <aj> MarcoFalke: you're voting for signed floating point? :)
513 2019-08-01T19:23:17  <BlueMatt> aj: no, signed Decimal
514 2019-08-01T19:23:42  <elichai2> BlueMatt: make it signed and cast when pass to libconsensus? lol
515 2019-08-01T19:24:30  <sdaftuar> how about we cast to unsigned in the rpc handler
516 2019-08-01T19:24:37  <wumpus> ^^
517 2019-08-01T19:24:37  <sdaftuar> and then stop thinking about it for a long time
518 2019-08-01T19:24:47  <BlueMatt> sounds fine to me too
519 2019-08-01T19:24:54  <sipa> sgtm
520 2019-08-01T19:24:56  <wumpus> exactly, if it confuses people in RPC, then report it differently in RPC :)
521 2019-08-01T19:24:58  <BlueMatt> cool, next topi
522 2019-08-01T19:25:00  <MarcoFalke> sdaftuar: Doeparsers decode 32bits to signed?
523 2019-08-01T19:25:00  <BlueMatt> c
524 2019-08-01T19:25:17  <MarcoFalke> Oh, json doesn't use bits
525 2019-08-01T19:25:20  <wumpus> #topic any contributors affected by GH blocking access/functionality in certain countries? (fanquake)
526 2019-08-01T19:25:52  <BlueMatt> well whats the eta until auzzies cant work on core cause their govt forces them ato add backdoors and gh kicks them out?
527 2019-08-01T19:26:19  <BlueMatt> do we need to get fanquake a freedom visa?
528 2019-08-01T19:26:27  <achow101> and aj
529 2019-08-01T19:26:33  <BlueMatt> right
530 2019-08-01T19:26:34  <moneyball> Nat tweeted saying it only affects private repos. I'm not sure if that matches reality or not.
531 2019-08-01T19:26:35  <wumpus> from what I've heard, currently it shouldn't be a problem because Iran/Crimea/etc is only locked out of their private repos
532 2019-08-01T19:26:38  <provoostenator> BlueMatt: Microsoft gladly added a backdoor to Skype for China, so I don't think they'll kick anyone out.
533 2019-08-01T19:26:51  <wumpus> but in the longer run it's not clear what will happen
534 2019-08-01T19:27:02  <provoostenator> Does Github allow Tor?
535 2019-08-01T19:27:03  <achow101> https://help.github.com/en/articles/github-and-trade-controls
536 2019-08-01T19:27:09  <sipa> yeah, it doesn't seem open projects are affected right now
537 2019-08-01T19:27:11  <elichai2> I heard they're locked out of *their accounts* and becuase of that they can't see their private repos
538 2019-08-01T19:27:12  <sipa> but it's a scary precedent
539 2019-08-01T19:27:18  <sipa> elichai2: that was fixed, afaik
540 2019-08-01T19:27:25  <moneyball> sipa: agree
541 2019-08-01T19:27:40  <wumpus> it's definitely scary and it'd be absurd to have an international open source project be affected by one country's strange psychosis
542 2019-08-01T19:27:46  <achow101> wumpus: I heard some reports that people were locked out of their accounts entirely
543 2019-08-01T19:27:51  <BlueMatt> wumpus: BUT FREEDOMZ
544 2019-08-01T19:28:06  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
545 2019-08-01T19:28:08  <emilengler> I have a VPN, I can look if I can connect to a Crimea server if there are one
546 2019-08-01T19:28:19  <emilengler> Or any other servers/locations which are blocked by the US
547 2019-08-01T19:28:24  <sipa> achow101: read this thread: https://twitter.com/Hamed/status/1154268514074660864
548 2019-08-01T19:28:25  <emilengler> Is there a list or something
549 2019-08-01T19:28:28  <wumpus> emilengler: DO NOT log into your account from there
550 2019-08-01T19:28:44  <achow101> emilengler: I think it only effects accounts where they believe you a resident of a sanctioned country, not if you are connecting from one
551 2019-08-01T19:28:53  <emzy> There is a git mirror for Bitcoin in the tor network.
552 2019-08-01T19:29:03  <emilengler> wumpus: Sure, I wanted to create a trash account for it
553 2019-08-01T19:29:09  <wumpus> emilengler: okay :)
554 2019-08-01T19:29:14  <sipa> achow101: in particular, private repos can still be made public if their account is restricted
555 2019-08-01T19:29:25  <jonatack> IIUC people can be blocked based on presumed citizenship e.g. the wrong passport living in London can be frozen out of their account
556 2019-08-01T19:30:06  <sipa> everyone, please read this first to the end: https://twitter.com/Hamed/status/1154268514074660864
557 2019-08-01T19:30:07  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
558 2019-08-01T19:30:26  <emilengler> Has someone a list of the countries who are blocked?
559 2019-08-01T19:30:30  <emilengler> Or regions
560 2019-08-01T19:30:37  <wumpus> emzy: right, getting the source code isn't hard, but losing access to PRs/issues etc to be able to contribute back would be bad
561 2019-08-01T19:30:42  <achow101> emilengler: it's in the help.github article I linked earlier
562 2019-08-01T19:30:52  <achow101> emilengler: Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Syria.
563 2019-08-01T19:30:56  <sipa> afaict, the only thing we should be discussing here now is whether we should prioritize figuring out in what ways our processes are dependent on github
564 2019-08-01T19:31:15  <wumpus> yes
565 2019-08-01T19:31:42  <emzy> right
566 2019-08-01T19:32:16  <dongcarl> I know that a few of the depends packages depend on other GitHub repos
567 2019-08-01T19:32:29  <wumpus> I think our process is already kind of detached from github in a way: we dont use it for merging, a lot of us prefer reviewing locally, the ACK system could work everywhere, etc
568 2019-08-01T19:32:42  *** esotericnonsense has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
569 2019-08-01T19:32:47  <sipa> yeah, i think if worst comes to worst, we can spin up something else
570 2019-08-01T19:32:56  <sipa> it'd be annoying, but not devastating
571 2019-08-01T19:33:12  <achow101> the annoying part is losing the issues and PRs
572 2019-08-01T19:33:23  <wumpus> the good part you mean
573 2019-08-01T19:33:25  <wumpus> *ducks*
574 2019-08-01T19:33:27  <sdaftuar> lol
575 2019-08-01T19:33:30  <moneyball> ha
576 2019-08-01T19:33:30  <meshcollider> Lol
577 2019-08-01T19:33:34  <wumpus> just file the ones that matter again :p
578 2019-08-01T19:33:55  <elichai2> unless we think of this ahead of time and start slowly duplicating all of github into a private gitlab (we could "fake" the PRs and issues to be the same as in github if it's an open source platform)
579 2019-08-01T19:33:59  <moneyball> can't we just export issues/PR data on a regular basis as backup?
580 2019-08-01T19:34:03  <wumpus> seriously though, maybe there's some way to import gh metadata
581 2019-08-01T19:34:06  <BlueMatt> I presume as long as we (a) have very good backups of the entire pr/issue/everything context and (b) are willing to switch upon seeing any actual real-world issues for people, then I think we dont need to do anything today, no?
582 2019-08-01T19:34:08  <wumpus> moneyball: we do!
583 2019-08-01T19:34:17  <moneyball> oh nice!
584 2019-08-01T19:34:34  *** ezegom has quit IRC
585 2019-08-01T19:34:35  <MarcoFalke> So people from those countries can create pull requests and issues, right?
586 2019-08-01T19:34:43  <wumpus> moneyball: it's backed up to a github repo though, so be sure to pull it regularly :) https://github.com/zw/bitcoin-gh-meta
587 2019-08-01T19:34:51  <dongcarl> Is there a GitHub<->GitLab mirroring tool that keeps them in sync?
588 2019-08-01T19:34:54  <sipa> MarcoFalke: afaict, the only thing is access to their private repos
589 2019-08-01T19:35:27  <achow101> MarcoFalke: seems like it
590 2019-08-01T19:35:33  <phantomcircuit> BlueMatt, visa doesn't change an australian citizens obligation to backdoor stuff for their government
591 2019-08-01T19:35:36  <emilengler> GitLab can import github issues/pr as well
592 2019-08-01T19:35:42  <phantomcircuit> just cant trust those convicts anymore
593 2019-08-01T19:36:14  <wumpus> hehe
594 2019-08-01T19:36:23  <wumpus> phantomcircuit: discrimination!
595 2019-08-01T19:36:57  <wumpus> anyhow, not much to say on this topic I think, no one from those countries spoke up at least
596 2019-08-01T19:37:12  <BlueMatt> ehh, if openbsd can discriminate against us citizens for the same reason, I think we're allowed to discriminate based on a convict colony
597 2019-08-01T19:37:13  <wumpus> (if you are from those countries feel free to PM me)
598 2019-08-01T19:37:49  <sipa> BlueMatt: you know the difference between a cup of yoghurt and australia?
599 2019-08-01T19:37:57  <achow101> oh no
600 2019-08-01T19:38:10  <dongcarl> something something culture?
601 2019-08-01T19:38:48  <wumpus> that leaves one topic "bitcoin-dev mailing list moderation", which I'm kind of scared of and jonasschnelli isn't here anyway
602 2019-08-01T19:39:02  <sipa> is warren or kanzure here?
603 2019-08-01T19:39:02  <phantomcircuit> wumpus, in all seriousness the first part is actually true, the obligation is of citizens and residents, not merely of people in australia
604 2019-08-01T19:39:12  <achow101> I think it was just a question about whether we had enough mailing list moderators
605 2019-08-01T19:39:16  <emilengler> How does the list moderation works? It is slow that's the only thing I know..
606 2019-08-01T19:39:30  <wumpus> "I propose that we add more moderators to shorten the moderation lag which has been between >24h, thus makes debates cumbersome"
607 2019-08-01T19:39:44  <sipa> arguably the ML isn't really on topic here, as it's not a bitcoin core thing
608 2019-08-01T19:39:47  <wumpus> "Eventually there are some volunteers for moderation, ideally neutral people"
609 2019-08-01T19:39:48  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
610 2019-08-01T19:39:57  <wumpus> yea exactly...
611 2019-08-01T19:40:04  <sipa> plus it doesn't seem that any of the list operators are here now
612 2019-08-01T19:40:13  <MarcoFalke> Could the mailing list be used for this discussion?
613 2019-08-01T19:40:20  <sipa> yes
614 2019-08-01T19:40:32  <MarcoFalke> ok, endmeeting :)
615 2019-08-01T19:40:36  <wumpus> #endmeeting
616 2019-08-01T19:40:36  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Aug  1 19:40:36 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
617 2019-08-01T19:40:36  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-01-19.00.html
618 2019-08-01T19:40:36  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-01-19.00.txt
619 2019-08-01T19:40:36  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-01-19.00.log.html
620 2019-08-01T19:40:45  <sipa> if you'd leave a cup of yoghurt alone for 200 years, it'd develop a culture
621 2019-08-01T19:40:50  <wumpus> lol
622 2019-08-01T19:41:01  <achow101> lmao
623 2019-08-01T19:41:05  <sdaftuar> that missed the meeting minutes
624 2019-08-01T19:41:06  <elichai2> loool
625 2019-08-01T19:41:07  <aj> didn't want that in the minutes, eh?
626 2019-08-01T19:41:10  <jamesob> someone call HR
627 2019-08-01T19:41:23  <emilengler> sipa: Something similar was covered in a Simpsons Episode
628 2019-08-01T19:41:46  <emzy> hehe
629 2019-08-01T19:42:43  *** PaulTroon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
630 2019-08-01T19:44:23  *** mzygar has quit IRC
631 2019-08-01T19:46:40  *** ljlkjlger has quit IRC
632 2019-08-01T19:46:47  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2019-08-01T19:53:51  *** Emilstud has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2019-08-01T19:56:17  *** emilengler has quit IRC
635 2019-08-01T19:57:25  *** Emilstud has quit IRC
636 2019-08-01T20:00:16  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
637 2019-08-01T20:05:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2019-08-01T20:05:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #16522: travis: Run functional tests in GUI once (master...1908-testGuiFun) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16522
639 2019-08-01T20:05:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
640 2019-08-01T20:05:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
641 2019-08-01T20:06:13  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2019-08-01T20:07:44  *** ercwl has quit IRC
643 2019-08-01T20:19:44  *** timothy has quit IRC
644 2019-08-01T20:22:37  *** belcher has quit IRC
645 2019-08-01T20:24:04  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
646 2019-08-01T20:31:26  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
647 2019-08-01T20:33:45  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
648 2019-08-01T20:33:45  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] metalicjames opened pull request #16523: Add removemempoolentry RPC to evict transactions from the mempool (master...removemempoolentry) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16523
649 2019-08-01T20:33:47  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
650 2019-08-01T20:40:51  <fanquake> I’m almost glad I didn’t turn up for that meeting
651 2019-08-01T20:42:22  <fanquake> Sounds like I should cancel my Aussie citizenship ASAP heh
652 2019-08-01T20:43:04  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
653 2019-08-01T20:45:23  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
654 2019-08-01T20:48:51  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
655 2019-08-01T20:54:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
656 2019-08-01T20:54:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jtimon opened pull request #16524: Truly decouple wallet from chainparams for -fallbackfee (master...b19-true-wallet-no-chainparams) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16524
657 2019-08-01T20:54:19  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
658 2019-08-01T20:56:42  *** esotericnonsense has quit IRC
659 2019-08-01T21:00:04  *** gnomus has quit IRC
660 2019-08-01T21:02:14  *** ptiyoyip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
661 2019-08-01T21:03:20  *** esotericnonsense has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
662 2019-08-01T21:04:30  *** dgfhdfg has quit IRC
663 2019-08-01T21:09:28  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
664 2019-08-01T21:12:33  *** queip has quit IRC
665 2019-08-01T21:18:07  *** jamesl22 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
666 2019-08-01T21:20:53  *** afb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
667 2019-08-01T21:29:45  *** queip has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
668 2019-08-01T21:31:06  *** PaulTroon has quit IRC
669 2019-08-01T21:31:49  *** PaulTroon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
670 2019-08-01T21:35:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
671 2019-08-01T21:35:58  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #16513: [RFC] Switch CTransaction::nVersion to an unsigned integer (master...2019-07-unsigned-tx-ver) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16513
672 2019-08-01T21:36:11  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
673 2019-08-01T21:49:58  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
674 2019-08-01T21:54:50  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
675 2019-08-01T21:55:47  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
676 2019-08-01T21:56:09  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
677 2019-08-01T21:57:41  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
678 2019-08-01T21:59:27  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
679 2019-08-01T22:05:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
680 2019-08-01T22:05:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #16525: Dump transaction version as an unsigned integer in RPC/TxToUniv (master...2019-07-unsigned-tx-ver) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16525
681 2019-08-01T22:05:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
682 2019-08-01T22:06:56  *** obsrver has quit IRC
683 2019-08-01T22:08:42  *** liberiga has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
684 2019-08-01T22:11:16  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
685 2019-08-01T22:14:51  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
686 2019-08-01T22:16:45  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
687 2019-08-01T22:17:20  *** Zenton has quit IRC
688 2019-08-01T22:19:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
689 2019-08-01T22:19:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jtimon opened pull request #16526: Refactor: Chainparams: readability (master...b19-chainparams-no-istestchain) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16526
690 2019-08-01T22:19:56  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
691 2019-08-01T22:20:28  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
692 2019-08-01T22:26:56  *** laptop500 has quit IRC
693 2019-08-01T22:29:49  *** jamesob_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
694 2019-08-01T22:30:23  *** ahmed___ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
695 2019-08-01T22:31:47  *** emzy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
696 2019-08-01T22:36:59  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
697 2019-08-01T22:37:18  *** ahmed_ has quit IRC
698 2019-08-01T22:37:19  *** jamesob has quit IRC
699 2019-08-01T22:37:19  *** emzy has quit IRC
700 2019-08-01T22:37:22  *** jamesob_ is now known as jamesob
701 2019-08-01T22:37:22  *** ahmed___ is now known as ahmed_
702 2019-08-01T22:43:37  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
703 2019-08-01T22:45:00  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
704 2019-08-01T22:53:37  *** jarthur has quit IRC
705 2019-08-01T22:54:27  *** ezegom has quit IRC
706 2019-08-01T22:58:04  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
707 2019-08-01T23:09:46  *** laptop500 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
708 2019-08-01T23:15:07  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
709 2019-08-01T23:15:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jtimon opened pull request #16527: Get rid of Params().RequireStandard() (master...b19-chainparams-no-requirestd) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16527
710 2019-08-01T23:15:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
711 2019-08-01T23:32:09  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
712 2019-08-01T23:41:26  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
713 2019-08-01T23:45:39  *** ezegom has quit IRC
714 2019-08-01T23:46:18  *** jnewbery has quit IRC
715 2019-08-01T23:46:30  *** whydb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
716 2019-08-01T23:46:44  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
717 2019-08-01T23:50:10  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
718 2019-08-01T23:51:37  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
719 2019-08-01T23:51:49  *** captjakk has quit IRC
720 2019-08-01T23:52:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
721 2019-08-01T23:52:24  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
722 2019-08-01T23:53:41  *** jnewbery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
723 2019-08-01T23:56:29  *** captjakk has quit IRC