1 2019-08-02T00:00:01  *** afb has quit IRC
  2 2019-08-02T00:00:56  <emilengler> Is there a cmake file for bitcoin core?
  3 2019-08-02T00:00:59  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-08-02T00:01:16  *** promag has quit IRC
  5 2019-08-02T00:04:05  *** rob01 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-08-02T00:04:37  <sipa> emilengler: it's an autotools project
  7 2019-08-02T00:05:13  <fanquake> hebasto: looks like ipglider hasn't been on GH for a while. I'm going to close #15768 as "Up for grabs", feel free to pick it up if interested.
  8 2019-08-02T00:05:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15768 | gui: Add CMD+W shortcut in macOS by IPGlider · Pull Request #15768 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
  9 2019-08-02T00:06:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-08-02T00:06:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #15768: gui: Add CMD+W shortcut in macOS (master...add_cmd_w_support_in_macos) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15768
 11 2019-08-02T00:06:08  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-08-02T00:09:15  *** lightlike has quit IRC
 13 2019-08-02T00:12:44  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-08-02T00:14:08  *** felco has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2019-08-02T00:17:07  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 16 2019-08-02T00:22:07  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2019-08-02T00:26:04  <emilengler> In which function/file are the blocks writen to the disk?
 18 2019-08-02T00:26:08  <emilengler> written*
 19 2019-08-02T00:26:43  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 20 2019-08-02T00:31:07  *** felco has quit IRC
 21 2019-08-02T00:31:07  *** felco has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-08-02T00:32:41  *** felco has quit IRC
 23 2019-08-02T00:33:08  *** felco has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-08-02T00:33:41  *** felco has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-08-02T00:36:26  <mryandao> emilengler: src/validation.cpp:1635 FlushBlockFile.
 26 2019-08-02T00:36:32  <mryandao> I think.
 27 2019-08-02T00:37:28  <mryandao> there's a lot of flushing going on in validation.cp
 28 2019-08-02T00:59:19  *** emilengler has quit IRC
 29 2019-08-02T00:59:31  *** ptiyoyip has quit IRC
 30 2019-08-02T01:03:13  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2019-08-02T01:03:30  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-08-02T01:08:28  *** dgfhdfg has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2019-08-02T01:10:59  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-08-02T01:11:47  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 35 2019-08-02T01:15:18  *** liberiga has quit IRC
 36 2019-08-02T01:23:57  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 37 2019-08-02T01:24:24  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2019-08-02T01:27:22  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 39 2019-08-02T01:27:30  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2019-08-02T01:37:02  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 41 2019-08-02T01:37:32  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 42 2019-08-02T01:39:07  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-08-02T01:40:25  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2019-08-02T01:44:11  *** tryphe has quit IRC
 45 2019-08-02T01:44:28  *** mzygar has quit IRC
 46 2019-08-02T01:44:40  *** tryphe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2019-08-02T01:49:38  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2019-08-02T01:51:53  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 49 2019-08-02T01:53:39  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-08-02T01:54:49  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2019-08-02T01:59:59  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 52 2019-08-02T02:00:37  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-08-02T02:01:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-08-02T02:01:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] achow101 opened pull request #16528: [WIP] Native Descriptor Wallets (take 2) (master...wallet-of-the-glorious-future) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16528
 55 2019-08-02T02:01:56  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-08-02T02:02:04  <achow101> meshcollider: ^^^
 57 2019-08-02T02:10:25  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
 58 2019-08-02T02:18:56  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
 59 2019-08-02T02:25:03  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 60 2019-08-02T02:31:50  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 61 2019-08-02T02:37:10  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-08-02T02:49:11  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 63 2019-08-02T02:49:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-08-02T02:49:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Tech1k opened pull request #16530: doc: Fix grammar and punctuation in developer notes (master...Tech1k-patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16530
 65 2019-08-02T02:50:00  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-08-02T03:00:02  *** rob01 has quit IRC
 67 2019-08-02T03:04:23  *** Kater1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-08-02T03:10:24  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2019-08-02T03:14:53  *** ezegom has quit IRC
 70 2019-08-02T03:25:37  <meshcollider> achow101: \o/
 71 2019-08-02T03:28:28  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 72 2019-08-02T03:28:43  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-08-02T03:29:14  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 74 2019-08-02T03:29:31  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2019-08-02T03:30:18  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2019-08-02T03:31:05  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-08-02T03:31:51  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-08-02T03:32:33  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2019-08-02T03:33:05  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 80 2019-08-02T03:33:20  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2019-08-02T03:34:08  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2019-08-02T03:34:10  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-08-02T03:34:37  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 84 2019-08-02T03:34:53  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2019-08-02T03:39:28  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 86 2019-08-02T03:44:31  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 87 2019-08-02T03:48:52  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2019-08-02T03:48:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] harding opened pull request #16532: [0.18] Doc: remove old release notes about systemd and riscv changes (0.18...2019-07-0.18.1-release-notes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16532
 89 2019-08-02T03:48:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-08-02T04:06:58  *** hebasto has quit IRC
 91 2019-08-02T04:07:35  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 92 2019-08-02T04:09:33  *** emilengler has quit IRC
 93 2019-08-02T04:11:22  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2019-08-02T04:13:27  <fanquake> If anyone's interested, I've put up some notes about doing bitcoin* binary comparisons: https://github.com/fanquake/core-review/blob/master/binary-compare.md
 95 2019-08-02T04:19:11  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 96 2019-08-02T04:30:06  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-08-02T04:37:17  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2019-08-02T04:37:17  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #16533: build: disable libxcb extensions (master...disable_xcb_extensions) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16533
 99 2019-08-02T04:37:18  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2019-08-02T04:43:58  *** captjakk has quit IRC
101 2019-08-02T05:04:49  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-08-02T05:06:33  *** Krellan has quit IRC
103 2019-08-02T05:07:25  *** Krellan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2019-08-02T05:16:36  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2019-08-02T05:40:42  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2019-08-02T05:45:02  *** mzygar has quit IRC
107 2019-08-02T05:49:52  *** captjakk has quit IRC
108 2019-08-02T05:50:56  *** Krellan has quit IRC
109 2019-08-02T05:51:06  <wumpus> fanquake: yes, I think that's very useful to write those things up on how to find what is causing the non-determinism
110 2019-08-02T06:00:02  *** Kater1 has quit IRC
111 2019-08-02T06:04:47  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2019-08-02T06:15:12  <wumpus> how to recognize this qt resource non-determism issue, for ex :)
113 2019-08-02T06:17:28  <fanquake> wumpus: heh. From now on if I ever see what looks like language codes in a binary diff that's probably it.
114 2019-08-02T06:18:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
115 2019-08-02T06:19:09  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2019-08-02T06:19:16  *** Xing` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2019-08-02T06:19:19  <fanquake> wumpus: #16532 in then tag 0.18.1 ?
118 2019-08-02T06:19:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16532 | [0.18] Doc: remove old release notes about systemd and riscv changes by harding · Pull Request #16532 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
119 2019-08-02T06:23:57  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2019-08-02T06:24:24  <fanquake> Moved #16414 to 0.18.2
121 2019-08-02T06:24:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16414 | 0.18: wallet: Fix -maxtxfee check by moving it to CWallet::CreateTransaction by promag · Pull Request #16414 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
122 2019-08-02T06:37:08  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
123 2019-08-02T06:38:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
124 2019-08-02T06:38:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake reopened pull request #15768: gui: Add CMD+W shortcut in macOS (master...add_cmd_w_support_in_macos) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15768
125 2019-08-02T06:38:52  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-08-02T06:42:11  *** octomatic has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-08-02T06:47:16  *** octomatic has quit IRC
128 2019-08-02T06:48:39  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2019-08-02T06:52:51  *** octomati_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2019-08-02T06:56:12  *** victorSN has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-08-02T06:57:32  *** captjakk has quit IRC
132 2019-08-02T07:01:09  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2019-08-02T07:03:30  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
134 2019-08-02T07:05:01  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
135 2019-08-02T07:05:16  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2019-08-02T07:12:57  *** octomati_ has quit IRC
137 2019-08-02T07:34:36  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2019-08-02T07:40:27  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2019-08-02T07:50:51  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-08-02T07:51:17  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
141 2019-08-02T08:07:08  *** captjakk has quit IRC
142 2019-08-02T08:11:32  *** jungly has quit IRC
143 2019-08-02T08:12:34  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-08-02T08:34:04  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-08-02T08:37:47  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-08-02T08:52:06  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-08-02T09:00:02  *** Xing` has quit IRC
148 2019-08-02T09:04:39  *** theStack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-08-02T09:04:55  *** DragonEyes1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2019-08-02T09:06:28  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-08-02T09:10:36  *** captjakk has quit IRC
152 2019-08-02T09:12:08  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2019-08-02T09:12:08  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Bushstar opened pull request #16534: [build] .gitignore add Qt Creator Makefile.am.user (master...patch-3) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16534
154 2019-08-02T09:12:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-08-02T09:14:47  *** inersha has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2019-08-02T09:24:47  *** theStack has quit IRC
157 2019-08-02T09:25:44  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2019-08-02T09:26:04  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-08-02T09:29:19  *** mzygar has quit IRC
160 2019-08-02T09:35:05  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2019-08-02T09:36:42  *** jonatack has quit IRC
162 2019-08-02T09:36:59  *** mzygar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-08-02T09:45:58  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2019-08-02T09:55:09  <setpill> in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/init/bitcoind.service#L8-L9, why does the comment state "except for those explicitly specified as arguments in ExecStart="?
165 2019-08-02T09:56:10  <setpill> surely aside from "-conf=[..]" the other daemon options can be specified in whatever conf you supply?
166 2019-08-02T10:07:10  <jonasschnelli> setpill: I guess because the ones specified in ExecStart are overwritten by ExecStart
167 2019-08-02T10:09:21  <setpill> Ah I see, just a matter of suboptimal phrasing then I guess
168 2019-08-02T10:09:51  <setpill> To me it sounds like "these options need to be specified as arguments in ExecStart= because they cannot be specified in the conf"
169 2019-08-02T10:09:51  <jonasschnelli> I guess -datadir is not possible, since datadir defines where the config file is stored...
170 2019-08-02T10:10:01  <wumpus> yes, AFAIK the only option that cannot be specified in the configuration file is -conf, and -datadir if -conf is not used
171 2019-08-02T10:10:02  <setpill> I don't think so
172 2019-08-02T10:10:23  <setpill> I've used a -conf commandline option with a datadir specified in the referenced conf iirc
173 2019-08-02T10:10:25  <wumpus> datadir only defines the standard location of the config file
174 2019-08-02T10:10:36  <wumpus> if you override the location of the config file, you can specify a datadir in it
175 2019-08-02T10:10:57  <wumpus> this allows putting the configuration file in a separate place e.g. /etc/ while the (writable) datadir is somewhere else
176 2019-08-02T10:10:58  <setpill> Also, datadir implies a blocks dir but that can still be overwritten as well
177 2019-08-02T10:11:04  <wumpus> right
178 2019-08-02T10:18:40  *** captjakk has quit IRC
179 2019-08-02T10:20:17  <setpill> 12:10 <wumpus> yes, AFAIK the only option that cannot be specified in the configuration file is -conf, and -datadir if -conf is not used
180 2019-08-02T10:20:33  <setpill> would a "datadir" option in the conf file found in the default location not be respected?
181 2019-08-02T10:42:35  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-08-02T10:54:04  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2019-08-02T11:17:43  *** Xunie__ has quit IRC
184 2019-08-02T11:18:18  *** Xunie__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-08-02T11:28:15  *** captjakk has quit IRC
186 2019-08-02T11:29:22  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-08-02T11:29:41  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
188 2019-08-02T11:46:31  <kanzure> replied about mailing list issues.
189 2019-08-02T11:47:06  <kanzure> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2019-August/017206.html
190 2019-08-02T11:47:28  <jonasschnelli> kanzure: thanks!
191 2019-08-02T11:48:33  <kanzure> jonasschnelli: "congratulations! you have volunteered to moderate!"
192 2019-08-02T11:48:59  <jonasschnelli> kanzure: I'm not qualifying the "neutral" requirement. :)
193 2019-08-02T11:49:28  <jonasschnelli> jokes aside: I really think I should not be a moderator
194 2019-08-02T11:58:52  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2019-08-02T12:00:02  *** DragonEyes1 has quit IRC
196 2019-08-02T12:00:13  <wumpus> jonasschnelli: I agree, same reason I should not be
197 2019-08-02T12:00:40  <jonasschnelli> Maybe someone like moneyball or jonatack
198 2019-08-02T12:01:01  <kanzure> ideally someone opposite of my timezone (e.g. checks the moderation queue when i am usually sleeping)
199 2019-08-02T12:01:46  <wumpus> setpill: that's a good question actually, I don't know, it might!
200 2019-08-02T12:18:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2019-08-02T12:18:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e653eeff7651...9f54e9ab9038
202 2019-08-02T12:18:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa8a823 MarcoFalke: test: Bump rpc_timeout in feature_dbcrash
203 2019-08-02T12:18:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa1bb53 MarcoFalke: test: Add -acceptnonstdtxn to self.extra_args[3]
204 2019-08-02T12:18:57  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa36aa4 MarcoFalke: Test: Set -acceptnonstdtxn in feature_fee_estimation
205 2019-08-02T12:18:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-08-02T12:20:01  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-08-02T12:20:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16493: test: Fix test failures (master...1907-testRpcTimeoutBump) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16493
208 2019-08-02T12:20:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-08-02T12:20:27  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-08-02T12:27:08  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2019-08-02T12:32:10  *** captjakk has quit IRC
212 2019-08-02T12:32:31  *** yen_yenny has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-08-02T12:35:14  <provoostenator> For todays wallet meeting, it would be good to brainstorm if there's a way to avoid all the [ci skip] commits in #16341.
214 2019-08-02T12:35:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16341 | Introduce ScriptPubKeyMan interface and use it for key and script management (aka wallet boxes) by achow101 · Pull Request #16341 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
215 2019-08-02T12:35:39  <provoostenator> I can't figure out how.
216 2019-08-02T12:36:06  *** pehjota1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2019-08-02T12:36:23  *** yen_yenny has quit IRC
218 2019-08-02T12:36:56  *** yen_yenny has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2019-08-02T12:37:21  <provoostenator> It's not that I mind skipping Travis, but I would find this PR much easier to review if it moved stuff to (Legacy)ScriptPubKeyManager more incrementally.
220 2019-08-02T12:37:43  *** yen_yenny has quit IRC
221 2019-08-02T12:52:07  *** ezegom has quit IRC
222 2019-08-02T12:55:00  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2019-08-02T12:55:00  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9f54e9ab9038...d759b5d26a7e
224 2019-08-02T12:55:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4fcb698 Sjors Provoost: [rpc] walletcreatefundedpsbt: use wallet default RBF
225 2019-08-02T12:55:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9ed062b Sjors Provoost: [doc] rpc: remove "fallback to" from RBF default help
226 2019-08-02T12:55:02  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d6b3640 Sjors Provoost: [test] walletcreatefundedpsbt: check RBF is disabled when -walletrbf=0
227 2019-08-02T12:55:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2019-08-02T12:55:45  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2019-08-02T12:55:45  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15911: Use wallet RBF default for walletcreatefundedpsbt (master...2019/04/walletcreatefundedpsbt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15911
230 2019-08-02T12:55:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2019-08-02T12:56:28  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2019-08-02T13:04:56  *** ezegom has quit IRC
233 2019-08-02T13:06:19  *** setpill has quit IRC
234 2019-08-02T13:08:15  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2019-08-02T13:14:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2019-08-02T13:14:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 6 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d759b5d26a7e...be0e8b4bff88
237 2019-08-02T13:14:33  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8c8aa19 Antoine Riard: Add BroadcastTransaction utility usage in Chain interface
238 2019-08-02T13:14:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 611291c Antoine Riard: Introduce CWalletTx::SubmitMemoryPoolAndRelay
239 2019-08-02T13:14:35  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8753f56 Antoine Riard: Remove duplicate checks in SubmitMemoryPoolAndRelay
240 2019-08-02T13:14:37  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2019-08-02T13:15:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2019-08-02T13:15:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15713: refactor: Replace chain relayTransactions/submitMemoryPool by higher method (master...2019-03-refactor-relay-tx-submit-pool) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15713
243 2019-08-02T13:15:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2019-08-02T13:23:50  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2019-08-02T13:31:45  *** keifis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-08-02T13:40:52  *** captjakk has quit IRC
247 2019-08-02T13:45:59  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2019-08-02T13:50:32  *** d_t has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2019-08-02T13:56:27  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2019-08-02T14:01:12  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
251 2019-08-02T14:03:07  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2019-08-02T14:09:12  <ariard> at what time is wallet meeting ? I would like to get feedbacks on the rework of rescan logic I'm hacking on
253 2019-08-02T14:10:46  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2019-08-02T14:35:29  *** ercwl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-08-02T14:39:48  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-08-02T14:42:58  *** captjakk has quit IRC
257 2019-08-02T14:43:34  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
258 2019-08-02T14:44:53  <achow101> ariard: 1900 utc
259 2019-08-02T14:45:09  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2019-08-02T14:47:50  *** ezegom has quit IRC
261 2019-08-02T14:49:17  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2019-08-02T14:49:24  *** jimpo has quit IRC
263 2019-08-02T14:50:23  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2019-08-02T14:50:23  *** ezegom has quit IRC
265 2019-08-02T14:50:25  *** d_t has quit IRC
266 2019-08-02T14:51:12  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2019-08-02T14:51:12  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
268 2019-08-02T14:52:13  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-08-02T14:52:13  *** ezegom has quit IRC
270 2019-08-02T14:53:55  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2019-08-02T14:53:55  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
272 2019-08-02T14:54:03  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-08-02T14:54:33  *** ezegom has quit IRC
274 2019-08-02T14:54:55  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-08-02T14:55:46  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2019-08-02T14:55:47  *** ezegom has quit IRC
277 2019-08-02T14:56:44  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2019-08-02T14:56:44  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
279 2019-08-02T14:57:42  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2019-08-02T14:57:43  *** ezegom has quit IRC
281 2019-08-02T15:00:02  *** pehjota1 has quit IRC
282 2019-08-02T15:01:14  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2019-08-02T15:01:49  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
284 2019-08-02T15:02:34  *** ercwl has quit IRC
285 2019-08-02T15:05:55  *** kephra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-08-02T15:08:54  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
287 2019-08-02T15:09:19  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
288 2019-08-02T15:09:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2019-08-02T15:09:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #16535: test: Explain why -whitelist is used in feature_fee_estimation (master...1908-testDocFeeEst) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16535
290 2019-08-02T15:09:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-08-02T15:11:27  *** nightfall has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2019-08-02T15:16:08  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2019-08-02T15:27:02  *** captjakk has quit IRC
294 2019-08-02T15:27:25  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2019-08-02T15:28:19  <ariard> thanks achow101
296 2019-08-02T15:30:53  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2019-08-02T15:30:58  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-08-02T15:31:53  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
299 2019-08-02T15:35:28  *** ezegom has quit IRC
300 2019-08-02T15:39:11  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2019-08-02T15:39:37  *** mzygar has quit IRC
302 2019-08-02T15:40:35  *** emilengler has quit IRC
303 2019-08-02T15:43:35  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2019-08-02T15:48:43  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2019-08-02T15:52:57  *** ezegom has quit IRC
306 2019-08-02T15:59:31  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-08-02T16:00:28  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
308 2019-08-02T16:04:30  *** kcalvina_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
309 2019-08-02T16:04:36  <elichai2> Is InferDescriptor *suppose* to add this fingerprint to keys(they started as regular descriptors with private/public keys, no BIP32 stuff involved)? `pkh([1fb31c4f]03462c64aa6089c6e28536c74b6ec4a8f3eaf2f5c5c36e1ae0abf39d563eeaf11e)` (it's something i'm seeing in my descriptors_tests)
310 2019-08-02T16:07:15  <sipa> elichai2: it's unnecessary but harmless
311 2019-08-02T16:08:50  <elichai2> So it's nothing i've done haha thanks :) (FYI it's starting to look nice, this is what my InferDescriptor *returns* to me :) `tap([46d3fd75]031e34802508ce0bbabb71935832c92129c6df82143a924d731c43362495111319,[pkh([1fb31c4f]03462c64aa6089c6e28536c74b6ec4a8f3eaf2f5c5c36e1ae0abf39d563eeaf11e),pk([2611005f]0257dd0c7c2e9036b845ff4f8a90eeed5daf821e7abd1f98dcbc8b65b0006d28ce)])#umstfklz`)
312 2019-08-02T16:10:53  *** ercwl has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
313 2019-08-02T16:15:36  <elichai2> (I meant parsing and then inferring the scriptpubkey)
314 2019-08-02T16:15:46  <sipa> cool!
315 2019-08-02T16:18:10  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2019-08-02T16:18:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ariard opened pull request #16536: [doc] Update and extend benchmarking.md (master...2019-08-update-benchmarking-docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16536
317 2019-08-02T16:18:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2019-08-02T16:19:45  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2019-08-02T16:19:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 11 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/be0e8b4bff88...3a3d8b835712
320 2019-08-02T16:19:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e0e18a1 Hennadii Stepanov: refactoring: Check IsArgKnown() early
321 2019-08-02T16:19:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e0d187d Hennadii Stepanov: Refactor InterpretNegatedOption() function
322 2019-08-02T16:19:49  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 265c1b5 Hennadii Stepanov: Add Flags enum to ArgsManager
323 2019-08-02T16:19:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2019-08-02T16:20:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
325 2019-08-02T16:20:35  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16097: Refactor: Add Flags enum to ArgsManager class (master...20190526-fix-negated-args) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16097
326 2019-08-02T16:20:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
327 2019-08-02T16:27:38  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
328 2019-08-02T16:28:34  *** inersha has left #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2019-08-02T16:31:47  *** captjakk has quit IRC
330 2019-08-02T16:33:05  *** hebasto has quit IRC
331 2019-08-02T16:33:58  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
332 2019-08-02T16:34:34  *** hebasto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2019-08-02T16:40:36  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-08-02T16:47:22  *** captjakk has quit IRC
335 2019-08-02T16:48:21  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
336 2019-08-02T16:56:57  *** emzy_ has quit IRC
337 2019-08-02T16:56:57  *** emzy_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
338 2019-08-02T17:10:54  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
339 2019-08-02T17:16:22  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
340 2019-08-02T17:18:27  *** Zenton has quit IRC
341 2019-08-02T17:20:17  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
342 2019-08-02T17:21:27  *** timothy has quit IRC
343 2019-08-02T17:23:20  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2019-08-02T17:25:02  *** kcalvina_ has quit IRC
345 2019-08-02T17:26:52  *** ercwl has quit IRC
346 2019-08-02T17:26:59  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
347 2019-08-02T17:30:22  *** jungly has quit IRC
348 2019-08-02T17:31:16  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2019-08-02T17:40:36  *** captjakk has quit IRC
350 2019-08-02T17:50:43  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
351 2019-08-02T17:51:13  <elichai2> sipa: arghh. Is it important that every bracket will have it's own significant meaning? because using the same bracket for taproot branches and for bip32 derivations complicates stuff a bit (nothing that can't be handled with a few conditions but still) should be maybe introduce curly brackets?
352 2019-08-02T17:52:58  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
353 2019-08-02T17:53:33  <sipa> elichai2: if you think curly brackets is easier, sure
354 2019-08-02T17:55:45  *** shesek` has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2019-08-02T17:56:17  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
356 2019-08-02T17:56:26  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2019-08-02T17:57:07  *** shesek`` has quit IRC
358 2019-08-02T18:00:02  *** kephra has quit IRC
359 2019-08-02T18:00:26  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2019-08-02T18:18:07  *** reallll has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
361 2019-08-02T18:21:22  *** belcher has quit IRC
362 2019-08-02T18:30:27  *** hebasto has quit IRC
363 2019-08-02T18:36:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2019-08-02T18:36:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors closed pull request #15414: [wallet] allow adding pubkeys from imported private keys to keypool (master...2019/02/keypool_import_private_keys) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15414
365 2019-08-02T18:36:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2019-08-02T18:59:58  <sipa> TIL: the number of public keys participating in an OP_CHECKMULTISIG and OP_CHECKMULTISIGVERIFY counts towards the 201 non-push opcodes limit, but *only* when executed
367 2019-08-02T19:00:21  <meshcollider> #startmeeting
368 2019-08-02T19:00:21  <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Aug  2 19:00:21 2019 UTC.  The chair is meshcollider. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
369 2019-08-02T19:00:21  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
370 2019-08-02T19:00:27  <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball
371 2019-08-02T19:00:32  <provoostenator> hi\
372 2019-08-02T19:00:32  <achow101> hi
373 2019-08-02T19:00:35  <sipa> hi
374 2019-08-02T19:01:06  <ariard> hi
375 2019-08-02T19:01:07  <meshcollider> any topics? :)
376 2019-08-02T19:01:09  <jonatack> hi
377 2019-08-02T19:01:27  <jnewbery> hi
378 2019-08-02T19:01:39  <achow101> Big news is #16528 opened last night for native descriptor wallets
379 2019-08-02T19:01:42  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16528 | [WIP] Native Descriptor Wallets (take 2) by achow101 · Pull Request #16528 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
380 2019-08-02T19:01:52  <achow101> only 107 commits :p
381 2019-08-02T19:01:53  <ariard> working on a rework of rescan logic https://gist.github.com/ariard/89f9bcc3a7ab9576fc6d15d251032cfa
382 2019-08-02T19:02:14  <sipa> achow101: wow
383 2019-08-02T19:02:17  <ariard> thanks to feedbacks design from ryanosfky
384 2019-08-02T19:02:40  <sipa> ariard: tip for remembering his nickname: ryan of sky
385 2019-08-02T19:02:42  <ariard> s/ryanosfky/ryanofsky/g
386 2019-08-02T19:02:53  <ariard> sipa: already heard this one
387 2019-08-02T19:03:12  <meshcollider> achow101: The 107 commits include the legacy rework PR right :p
388 2019-08-02T19:03:18  <achow101> <provoostenator> For todays wallet meeting, it would be good to brainstorm if there's a way to avoid all the [ci skip] commits in #16341.
389 2019-08-02T19:03:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16341 | Introduce ScriptPubKeyMan interface and use it for key and script management (aka wallet boxes) by achow101 · Pull Request #16341 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
390 2019-08-02T19:03:22  <achow101> meshcollider: yes
391 2019-08-02T19:03:29  <kanzure> hi
392 2019-08-02T19:03:41  <achow101> I think provoostenator has the only topic suggestion today
393 2019-08-02T19:03:48  <provoostenator> Yes, maybe it's impossible, but's pretty daunting to review otherwise
394 2019-08-02T19:04:03  <meshcollider> Let's start with that then
395 2019-08-02T19:04:26  <achow101> I had a look at doing that, and it gave me a headache
396 2019-08-02T19:04:47  <meshcollider> #topic Avoiding the [ci skip]s in #16341
397 2019-08-02T19:04:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16341 | Introduce ScriptPubKeyMan interface and use it for key and script management (aka wallet boxes) by achow101 · Pull Request #16341 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
398 2019-08-02T19:05:11  <achow101> the problem is that a lot of functions are dependent on other ones, so there would need to be a pretty big commit just to add those
399 2019-08-02T19:05:39  <meshcollider> Yeah I thought the whole reason you put them there in the first place was because we decided it was better than one massive commit that doesn't break stuff
400 2019-08-02T19:05:41  <achow101> then as you add them into the wallet, things start becoming inconsistent if not all of the things that can effect each other are also added at the same time. these inconsistencies also result in test failures
401 2019-08-02T19:06:52  <achow101> One idea I had was to combine implementation of the function in LegacyScriptPubKeyMan and replacement in CWallet, but still leave the CWallet stuff there to operate in parallel
402 2019-08-02T19:07:50  <provoostenator> That's what I was thinking as well
403 2019-08-02T19:07:51  <achow101> but that seemed kind of pointless because the new code wasn't really doing anything, and we would still need to have the gigantic "delete all the old things" commit at the end
404 2019-08-02T19:08:07  <provoostenator> Maybe start with a bunch dummy methods in the LegacyScriptPubKeyMan and then move stuff over?
405 2019-08-02T19:08:38  <provoostenator> Then in the end you still need to delete some calls, but no implementations.
406 2019-08-02T19:08:39  <achow101> there is also some consistency issues with doing that because the wallet files could be overwritten by two different code paths and become inconsistent, also failing tests
407 2019-08-02T19:08:41  <meshcollider> It's the moving which is the problem
408 2019-08-02T19:08:43  <elichai2> crazy idea. PR into PR? (that way they could be reviewed seperatly but merged into master together)
409 2019-08-02T19:09:31  <sipa> we must go deeper.
410 2019-08-02T19:09:39  <achow101> elichai2: they're all separate commits, so it shouldn't actually be that hard to review separately
411 2019-08-02T19:10:13  *** _atos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2019-08-02T19:10:44  <achow101> provoostenator: I don't believe that there is a way to avoid having [ci skip] commits because tests will fail
413 2019-08-02T19:11:29  <meshcollider> Ease of review > Travis passing on every single commit, as long as the tests pass at the end of the PR I think it's fine :)
414 2019-08-02T19:11:40  <provoostenator> meshcollider: agree
415 2019-08-02T19:11:58  <achow101> a lot of the commits are really small too
416 2019-08-02T19:12:21  <provoostenator> Currently the dimmed-zebra can't help
417 2019-08-02T19:12:36  <provoostenator> Which makes it super tedious to check if the new function bodies are the same
418 2019-08-02T19:12:41  <sipa> having intermediary commits that pass CI is helpful for review, as you can be sure about things like "this method changes, did all call sites get updated too?" without needing much work
419 2019-08-02T19:13:12  <achow101> having them all pass tests would be nice, makes bisect not suck
420 2019-08-02T19:13:19  <sipa> yeah
421 2019-08-02T19:13:32  <sipa> not saying it's a strict requirement, though it's certainly very helpful as a policy
422 2019-08-02T19:13:47  <achow101> I spent a lot of time finding a bug that was introduced in one of the [ci skip] commits but bisect wasn't as helpful since the tests wouldn't get to the part where the bug was triggered
423 2019-08-02T19:14:54  <achow101> but even then, having them all pass tests wouldn't be helpful since the new code isn't the one that's actually doing the work. it would still just be the old stuff and bisecting would just point you to the gigantic "change everything over" commit
424 2019-08-02T19:15:24  <jonatack> at least the [ci skip] comments signal when the failure is to be expected, so there's that... but from a review perspective hygienic commits are much better
425 2019-08-02T19:15:58  <jonatack> commit messages could contain the steps
426 2019-08-02T19:17:53  <meshcollider> achow101: can CWallet just have an instance of a LegacyScriptPubkeyManager inside it right from the start and call methods inside it as they're moved into it?
427 2019-08-02T19:18:24  <meshcollider> And then do some inheritance refactoring at the end
428 2019-08-02T19:18:54  <meshcollider> Then the massive "move everything over" commit would just be deleting methods like foo(){ legacy.foo(); }
429 2019-08-02T19:19:25  <achow101> no because methods are dependent on other ones
430 2019-08-02T19:20:44  <achow101> for example, I thought that AddKey would be easy, it should be mostly by itself, right? Nope. Requres AddCryptedKey to be implemented, which requires Encryption stuff to be implemented. For some reason it also requires watch only things so you need to have setWatchOnly, HaveWatchOnly, RemoveWatchOnly
431 2019-08-02T19:20:54  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2019-08-02T19:21:13  <achow101> and you need AddKey for loading keys in the first place!
433 2019-08-02T19:21:32  <sipa> fun.
434 2019-08-02T19:22:44  <meshcollider> Yeah... I think the [ci skip] are here to stay then
435 2019-08-02T19:23:06  <meshcollider> Does anyone else want to discuss anything this week?
436 2019-08-02T19:24:07  <achow101> (If you couldn't tell, I was very annoyed by this and spent a while cursing the person who wrote this code, which was probably sipa :p)
437 2019-08-02T19:24:16  * sipa hides.
438 2019-08-02T19:25:31  <ariard> meshcollider: if anyone has thoughts on this https://gist.github.com/ariard/89f9bcc3a7ab9576fc6d15d251032cfa it would be welcomed
439 2019-08-02T19:25:53  <ariard> (not necessarily now)
440 2019-08-02T19:26:25  <achow101> it would be nice for rescan (and other wallet things) to not need cs_main
441 2019-08-02T19:26:31  <meshcollider> #action Read and feedback on ariard's proposal
442 2019-08-02T19:26:39  <ariard> main idea is just to use a common thread between index and ChainClient to provide blocks in one sequence instead of redoing the work multiple times
443 2019-08-02T19:26:57  <achow101> there's been a lot of complaints I've seen recently about RPCs taking a while, probably because cs_main is held by ~everything
444 2019-08-02T19:26:58  <ariard> achow101: yes that's the end of goal, not relying at all on cs_main
445 2019-08-02T19:27:15  <ariard> but will need multiple PRs to get there to avoid to big diff
446 2019-08-02T19:27:52  <ariard> first step move all logic in a thread, future steps  worker thread pool + cache what we need to avoid locking
447 2019-08-02T19:28:47  <ariard> hope to submit code next week, people will get a better idea
448 2019-08-02T19:29:03  <emilengler> By the way, what does the LOCK and cs_main mean? I see this nearly everywhere when I look in the code
449 2019-08-02T19:29:05  <meshcollider> ariard: sounds good!
450 2019-08-02T19:29:09  <emilengler> And why it needs to be in the curly brackets
451 2019-08-02T19:30:03  <achow101> emilengler: cs_main is one of the locks, while one thread holds it, no other thread can acquire it. it is used to protect things from concurrency issues like race conditions. LOCK(cs_main) is the way to acquire cs_main, if it is held by someone else, the thread will wait
452 2019-08-02T19:30:04  <sipa> emilengler: RAII
453 2019-08-02T19:30:17  <meshcollider> emilengler: cs_main is something which only one thread can "hold" at once, making sure stuff which it protects isn't written twice at the same time or something which would result in race conditions
454 2019-08-02T19:30:26  <sipa> emilengler: it introduces a lock in the scope it's defined at; it automatically unlocks when it goes out of scope
455 2019-08-02T19:30:36  <sipa> emilengler: it's a general concept in C++ called RAII
456 2019-08-02T19:30:39  <ariard> have a look in sync.h and threadsafety.h
457 2019-08-02T19:31:13  <meshcollider> Anyway I think this wraps up the meeting
458 2019-08-02T19:31:35  <emilengler> Ok so it is more a C++ thing? I usually don't work that often with multiple threads
459 2019-08-02T19:31:47  <meshcollider> We can read the proposal and PR outside
460 2019-08-02T19:31:49  <meshcollider> #endmeeting
461 2019-08-02T19:31:49  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Fri Aug  2 19:31:49 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
462 2019-08-02T19:31:49  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-02-19.00.html
463 2019-08-02T19:31:49  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-02-19.00.txt
464 2019-08-02T19:31:49  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-08-02-19.00.log.html
465 2019-08-02T19:32:05  <achow101> anyone have suggestions for things that should be added to tests for descriptor wallets?
466 2019-08-02T19:32:30  <achow101> I added a --descriptors switch to some of the wallet tests so those tests will also run with descriptor wallets
467 2019-08-02T19:32:43  <sipa> that's a nice idea
468 2019-08-02T19:32:56  <sipa> so you can test things against both old-style wallets and new-style ones?
469 2019-08-02T19:33:09  <achow101> yes
470 2019-08-02T19:33:26  <meshcollider> emilengler: other languages use locks too for multithreading
471 2019-08-02T19:33:45  <meshcollider> I think java does
472 2019-08-02T19:33:46  <achow101> sipa: it just needs to avoid things like imports and ismine
473 2019-08-02T19:34:09  <meshcollider> achow101: I guess it's easier to suggest more tests when reviewing the tests in the PR
474 2019-08-02T19:34:39  <achow101> but at least all of the transaction sending, transaction ismine, etc. things can be tested without writing wholly new tests
475 2019-08-02T19:34:59  <achow101> meshcollider: better start reviewing then!
476 2019-08-02T19:35:12  <sipa> emilengler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_acquisition_is_initialization
477 2019-08-02T19:36:08  <meshcollider> achow101: just add tests for all the new codepaths :)
478 2019-08-02T19:36:22  <meshcollider> You wrote it so you should know how to test it :)))
479 2019-08-02T19:36:25  <achow101> I did a coverage report and I think just about everything has been hit
480 2019-08-02T19:37:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
481 2019-08-02T19:37:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #16538: test: Add missing sync_blocks to feature_pruning (master...1908-testPruneNoRace) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16538
482 2019-08-02T19:37:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
483 2019-08-02T19:38:16  *** morcos has quit IRC
484 2019-08-02T19:38:35  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
485 2019-08-02T19:47:46  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
486 2019-08-02T19:51:55  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
487 2019-08-02T19:52:47  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
488 2019-08-02T19:55:38  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
489 2019-08-02T19:56:03  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
490 2019-08-02T19:58:01  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
491 2019-08-02T20:06:22  *** Victor_sueca has quit IRC
492 2019-08-02T20:07:30  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
493 2019-08-02T20:08:39  *** Bullitje_enable has quit IRC
494 2019-08-02T20:12:19  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
495 2019-08-02T20:15:16  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
496 2019-08-02T20:15:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/784e218610d4...673919caf72c
497 2019-08-02T20:15:16  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 5f5b444 David A. Harding: Doc: remove old release notes about systemd and riscv changes
498 2019-08-02T20:15:17  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 673919c Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16532: [0.18] Doc: remove old release notes about systemd and riscv...
499 2019-08-02T20:15:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
500 2019-08-02T20:15:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
501 2019-08-02T20:15:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16532: [0.18] Doc: remove old release notes about systemd and riscv changes (0.18...2019-07-0.18.1-release-notes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16532
502 2019-08-02T20:15:47  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
503 2019-08-02T20:20:32  *** _atos has quit IRC
504 2019-08-02T20:24:23  *** reallll is now known as belcher
505 2019-08-02T20:25:01  <emilengler> Where are the qt icons stored?
506 2019-08-02T20:25:57  <emilengler> Ok nevermind got it
507 2019-08-02T20:26:02  <emilengler> They are in src/qt/res
508 2019-08-02T20:26:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
509 2019-08-02T20:26:50  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/673919caf72c...bfa7183c4e5a
510 2019-08-02T20:26:50  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 bfa7183 Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: set CLIENT_VERSION_RC to 0 pre-final
511 2019-08-02T20:26:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
512 2019-08-02T20:27:01  <wumpus> `git ls-files|grep png`
513 2019-08-02T20:28:40  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
514 2019-08-02T20:28:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors opened pull request #16539: [wallet] lower -txmaxfee default from 0.1 to 0.01 BTC (master...2019/08/lower_txmaxfee) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16539
515 2019-08-02T20:28:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
516 2019-08-02T20:28:48  <emilengler> wumpus: Also thought about doing this but I wasn't sure about the file format
517 2019-08-02T20:29:04  <wumpus> we've just disabled jpeg so :-)
518 2019-08-02T20:29:44  *** lassulus1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
519 2019-08-02T20:30:07  <emilengler> Maybe a vector?
520 2019-08-02T20:33:48  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
521 2019-08-02T20:33:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.18: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bfa7183c4e5a...fa27a0760792
522 2019-08-02T20:33:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.18 fa27a07 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Bump manpages pre-final
523 2019-08-02T20:33:51  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
524 2019-08-02T20:33:56  <provoostenator> ^ sorry for the bike-shed risk, but I think it's worth considering every couple of years and it's been 5
525 2019-08-02T20:35:41  <wumpus> emilengler: yea there's some svg but they're converted to png before being included afaik, don't think we include any actual vector icons for use by the qt code, but not 100% sure
526 2019-08-02T20:36:15  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
527 2019-08-02T20:36:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #16540: test: Add ASSERT_DEBUG_LOG to unit test framework (master...1908-UnitTestAssertDebugLog) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16540
528 2019-08-02T20:36:18  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
529 2019-08-02T20:37:02  *** promag_ has quit IRC
530 2019-08-02T20:38:22  <wumpus> provoostenator: sorry i'm not sure what that's about
531 2019-08-02T20:38:53  <provoostenator> wumpus: my PR proposes lowering txmaxfee from 0.1 to 0.01 BTC
532 2019-08-02T20:39:20  <wumpus> provoostenator: ohh good luck !
533 2019-08-02T20:42:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
534 2019-08-02T20:42:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.18.1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.18.1
535 2019-08-02T20:42:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
536 2019-08-02T20:45:21  <wumpus> gkrizek: ^^ the bot really does work great
537 2019-08-02T20:45:24  <provoostenator> With giant coin joins in mind maybe we should check the max fee per our own inputs, rather than the tx total.
538 2019-08-02T20:45:41  <provoostenator> *for
539 2019-08-02T20:46:36  <wumpus> yes, tx total has always been kind of a belts and suspenders measure
540 2019-08-02T20:46:59  <wumpus> like 'if the total fee is more than *this* it's really absurd and something must be wrong'
541 2019-08-02T20:47:37  <wumpus> could be because a wallet generates a transaction that's absurdly large, or because the feerate is absurdly large
542 2019-08-02T20:48:40  <provoostenator> In #16257 I covered the case where a user types "1" as the feeRate thinking it's satoshi per byte. That works nicely with the current 0.1 BTC max.
543 2019-08-02T20:48:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16257 | [wallet] abort when attempting to fund a transaction above -maxtxfee by Sjors · Pull Request #16257 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
544 2019-08-02T20:49:32  <provoostenator> But there may be other fat finger mistakes possible.
545 2019-08-02T20:50:50  <provoostenator> I believe in earlier days people would sometimes forget a change address, though afaik that's pretty hard to do accidentally now in core.
546 2019-08-02T20:52:43  <ghost43> provoostenator: is the maxtxfee check still done when using the sendrawtransaction RPC? Not that long ago at least that was the case
547 2019-08-02T20:53:13  <provoostenator> I'm not sure, because that's no longer part of the wallet.
548 2019-08-02T20:53:31  <ghost43> (I know the check was done there because it was affecting electrum users)
549 2019-08-02T20:54:31  <provoostenator> ghost34: yes it still does that check, there's a maxfeerate argument to more easily override it
550 2019-08-02T20:54:41  <achow101> ghost43: the absurdly high fee error?
551 2019-08-02T20:54:41  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
552 2019-08-02T20:54:46  <ghost43> yes
553 2019-08-02T20:55:09  <ghost43> we had users with huge wallets creating almost 100 KB txs
554 2019-08-02T20:55:10  <provoostenator> But it's not done for p2p transaction relay?
555 2019-08-02T20:55:12  <ghost43> for those, the absurdity is breached around 100 sat/byte
556 2019-08-02T20:55:29  <ghost43> but the electrum server is using the bitcoind sendrawtransaction RPC
557 2019-08-02T20:55:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
558 2019-08-02T20:55:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] emilengler opened pull request #16541: qt: Add better icon for Open URI (master...2019-08-qt-update-open-uri-icon) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16541
559 2019-08-02T20:55:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2019-08-02T20:57:41  <ghost43> tbh, I think a "feerate" absurdity check would make a lot more sense than an "absolute fee" absurdity check
561 2019-08-02T21:00:01  *** lassulus1 has quit IRC
562 2019-08-02T21:00:04  <achow101> ghost43: I think it's still an absolute fee. We should definitely change that...
563 2019-08-02T21:00:13  <achow101> afaik maxtxfee is for the wallet
564 2019-08-02T21:03:46  *** davterra has quit IRC
565 2019-08-02T21:03:47  <achow101> ghost43: nvm, I'm wrong. it uses maxtxfee. you could also just bypass that check by using the `allowhighfees` parameter
566 2019-08-02T21:04:16  *** ezegom has quit IRC
567 2019-08-02T21:04:43  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
568 2019-08-02T21:06:00  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
569 2019-08-02T21:06:00  *** ezegom has quit IRC
570 2019-08-02T21:06:18  *** captjakk has quit IRC
571 2019-08-02T21:06:52  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2019-08-02T21:06:57  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
573 2019-08-02T21:07:03  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
574 2019-08-02T21:08:10  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
575 2019-08-02T21:08:11  *** ezegom has quit IRC
576 2019-08-02T21:09:18  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
577 2019-08-02T21:09:18  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
578 2019-08-02T21:10:23  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2019-08-02T21:10:24  *** ezegom has quit IRC
580 2019-08-02T21:11:17  *** captjakk has quit IRC
581 2019-08-02T21:11:17  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
582 2019-08-02T21:11:28  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2019-08-02T21:12:35  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
584 2019-08-02T21:12:35  *** ezegom has quit IRC
585 2019-08-02T21:13:41  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
586 2019-08-02T21:13:42  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
587 2019-08-02T21:14:51  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
588 2019-08-02T21:14:51  *** ezegom has quit IRC
589 2019-08-02T21:15:09  <ghost43> looks like the wallet and the node maximum absolute fees were recently separated: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15620
590 2019-08-02T21:15:56  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
591 2019-08-02T21:16:10  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
592 2019-08-02T21:16:15  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
593 2019-08-02T21:16:43  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
594 2019-08-02T21:16:43  *** ezegom has quit IRC
595 2019-08-02T21:17:03  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2019-08-02T21:18:11  *** ezegom_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
597 2019-08-02T21:18:11  *** ezegom has quit IRC
598 2019-08-02T21:19:41  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2019-08-02T21:20:20  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
600 2019-08-02T21:21:22  *** emilengler has quit IRC
601 2019-08-02T21:21:51  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
602 2019-08-02T21:22:43  *** ezegom_ has quit IRC
603 2019-08-02T21:23:30  *** ezegom has quit IRC
604 2019-08-02T21:24:48  *** emilengler has quit IRC
605 2019-08-02T21:26:24  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
606 2019-08-02T21:33:12  *** Gaz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2019-08-02T21:45:18  <emilengler> Is the strprintf function for args who take user-input?
608 2019-08-02T21:46:24  <sipa> for anything
609 2019-08-02T21:46:41  <emilengler> But in init.cpp this function is used sometimes and sometimes not
610 2019-08-02T21:46:53  <emilengler> So what is the actual purpose of it?
611 2019-08-02T21:47:17  <sipa> it's used to convert things to a string
612 2019-08-02T21:47:34  <sipa> i don't know what you mean by "sometimes not"
613 2019-08-02T21:48:24  <emilengler> In the init.cpp at the part where the args are being added their is the second parameter sometimes this function or just a string
614 2019-08-02T21:48:50  <emilengler> Like in line 356 it isn't used but in 383 it uses for example
615 2019-08-02T21:49:05  <sipa> there is nothing to convert to a string in line 356
616 2019-08-02T21:49:10  <sipa> it already is one
617 2019-08-02T21:49:21  <emilengler> Yep I got it, your previous answer explained it. thanks :)
618 2019-08-02T21:55:26  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
619 2019-08-02T21:57:40  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
620 2019-08-02T22:10:13  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
621 2019-08-02T22:18:19  *** jarthur_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
622 2019-08-02T22:20:52  *** jarthur has quit IRC
623 2019-08-02T22:22:54  *** jarthur_ has quit IRC
624 2019-08-02T22:22:59  *** ezegom has quit IRC
625 2019-08-02T22:27:38  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
626 2019-08-02T22:29:24  *** owowo has quit IRC
627 2019-08-02T22:30:16  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
628 2019-08-02T22:33:00  *** ezegom has quit IRC
629 2019-08-02T22:33:28  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
630 2019-08-02T22:37:55  *** ezegom has quit IRC
631 2019-08-02T22:40:46  *** davterra has quit IRC
632 2019-08-02T22:41:59  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2019-08-02T22:46:22  *** justan0theruser is now known as justanotheruser
634 2019-08-02T22:46:42  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
635 2019-08-02T22:48:49  *** blockstreamspy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
636 2019-08-02T22:49:37  *** blockstreamspy has quit IRC
637 2019-08-02T22:57:35  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2019-08-02T23:23:22  *** ezegom has quit IRC
639 2019-08-02T23:23:48  *** ezegom has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2019-08-02T23:27:55  *** ezegom has quit IRC
641 2019-08-02T23:34:15  *** captjakk has quit IRC
642 2019-08-02T23:40:00  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
643 2019-08-02T23:43:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
644 2019-08-02T23:43:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] achow101 opened pull request #16542: Return more specific errors about invalid descriptors (master...descriptor-errors) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16542
645 2019-08-02T23:43:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2019-08-02T23:48:15  <achow101> fanquake: maybe we should add a "descriptors" tag as descriptors by themselves aren't wallet related
647 2019-08-02T23:48:44  <fanquake> achow101: sure
648 2019-08-02T23:55:12  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
649 2019-08-02T23:56:59  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
650 2019-08-02T23:58:08  <elichai2> achow101: why doesn't `FillableSigningProvider` derives from `FlatSigningProvider`?