1 2019-09-05T00:00:02  *** rknLA1 has quit IRC
  2 2019-09-05T00:02:16  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2019-09-05T00:02:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/8e00a6855240...761fe07ba9b5
  4 2019-09-05T00:02:17  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 490da63 Kristaps Kaupe: Make lint-includes.sh work from any directory
  5 2019-09-05T00:02:17  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 761fe07 MarcoFalke: Merge #16768: test: Make lint-includes.sh work from any directory
  6 2019-09-05T00:02:19  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2019-09-05T00:03:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-09-05T00:03:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16768: test: Make lint-includes.sh work from any directory (master...lint-includes-anydir) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16768
  9 2019-09-05T00:03:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2019-09-05T00:04:41  <midnightmagic> ah. so the code isn't old. it's pre-warning in gcc saying we're doing it right now, lucky us.  what a bizarre warning to emit.
 11 2019-09-05T00:07:35  <sipa> if you're linking pre-gcc-7.1 and gcc-7.1 compiled code, things will break
 12 2019-09-05T00:07:44  <sipa> the compiler can't know whether you're doing that or not
 13 2019-09-05T00:07:49  <sipa> generally ABIs don't change like that
 14 2019-09-05T00:19:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2019-09-05T00:25:21  *** xzytrewq has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2019-09-05T00:35:36  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 17 2019-09-05T00:40:23  <midnightmagic> Ah, an ABI thing. Okay less weird to me. Thank you.
 18 2019-09-05T00:41:57  *** xzytrewq has quit IRC
 19 2019-09-05T00:44:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2019-09-05T00:44:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/761fe07ba9b5...45be44cce4fa
 21 2019-09-05T00:44:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b21680b Ben Woosley: test/contrib: Fix invalid escapes in regex strings
 22 2019-09-05T00:44:38  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8389207 Ben Woosley: lint: Disable flake8 W504 warning
 23 2019-09-05T00:44:40  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0ef0e51 Ben Woosley: lint: Bump flake8 to 3.7.8
 24 2019-09-05T00:44:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2019-09-05T00:45:00  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2019-09-05T00:45:00  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #15257: Scripts and tools: Bump flake8 to 3.7.8 (master...flake-36) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15257
 27 2019-09-05T00:45:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2019-09-05T00:47:49  *** Chameleon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-09-05T01:06:18  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 30 2019-09-05T01:12:40  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 31 2019-09-05T01:25:39  *** lightlike has quit IRC
 32 2019-09-05T01:38:11  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2019-09-05T01:50:03  *** xzytrewq has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-09-05T02:05:40  *** emilengler_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-09-05T02:09:13  *** emilengler has quit IRC
 36 2019-09-05T02:11:34  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
 37 2019-09-05T02:15:46  *** farmerwampum has quit IRC
 38 2019-09-05T02:29:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 39 2019-09-05T02:29:54  *** farmerwampum has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2019-09-05T02:30:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2019-09-05T02:30:07  *** cryptoIndio has quit IRC
 42 2019-09-05T02:43:52  *** cryptoIndio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-09-05T02:50:48  *** cryptoIndio has quit IRC
 44 2019-09-05T03:00:01  *** Chameleon has quit IRC
 45 2019-09-05T03:00:54  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-09-05T03:05:28  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 47 2019-09-05T03:08:41  <luke-jr> I don't think we use it, but just in case, GCC miscompiles PPC's hardware random to repeated values: https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=91481
 48 2019-09-05T03:13:22  *** jcorgan_ has quit IRC
 49 2019-09-05T03:17:11  *** iMast777 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2019-09-05T03:18:49  *** jcorgan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2019-09-05T03:26:17  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-09-05T03:32:00  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
 53 2019-09-05T03:38:46  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-09-05T04:09:00  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-09-05T04:37:56  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2019-09-05T04:40:30  *** kcalvina_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2019-09-05T04:41:18  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
 58 2019-09-05T04:43:05  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
 59 2019-09-05T04:56:29  *** fox2p_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-09-05T04:57:32  *** fox2p has quit IRC
 61 2019-09-05T05:04:36  *** jcorgan has quit IRC
 62 2019-09-05T05:09:39  *** jcorgan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2019-09-05T05:25:34  *** astro has quit IRC
 64 2019-09-05T05:30:52  *** astro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2019-09-05T05:44:37  *** shesek has quit IRC
 66 2019-09-05T05:59:21  *** spinza has quit IRC
 67 2019-09-05T06:00:02  *** iMast777 has quit IRC
 68 2019-09-05T06:00:51  *** spinza_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2019-09-05T06:17:47  *** tomatopotato has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2019-09-05T06:38:43  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-09-05T06:45:05  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2019-09-05T06:49:09  *** kcalvina_ has quit IRC
 73 2019-09-05T07:10:52  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
 74 2019-09-05T07:19:52  *** doesnt-code has quit IRC
 75 2019-09-05T07:44:13  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 76 2019-09-05T07:49:35  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-09-05T07:53:10  *** harrigan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-09-05T07:58:34  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2019-09-05T08:01:52  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 80 2019-09-05T08:09:12  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2019-09-05T08:13:52  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 82 2019-09-05T08:15:03  *** coinmonks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 83 2019-09-05T08:15:50  <coinmonks> Hey Michael, My name is gaurav,. I run Coinmonks (https://medium.com/coinmonks) publication..
 84 2019-09-05T08:16:08  <coinmonks> I also run Coincodecap.com where we track crypto based on their Github activity
 85 2019-09-05T08:16:51  <coinmonks> We started a series "Developers in crypto" .. we want to mention you in our blog.. and we have few question
 86 2019-09-05T08:17:06  <coinmonks> Can you please help us with them?
 87 2019-09-05T08:17:12  <coinmonks> Your background?
 88 2019-09-05T08:17:20  <coinmonks> When and how you get involved in Bitcoin?
 89 2019-09-05T08:17:26  <coinmonks> What are your main contributions on Bitcoin ecosystem?
 90 2019-09-05T08:17:32  <coinmonks> What are new tech innovations you introduced on Bitcoin?
 91 2019-09-05T08:17:39  <coinmonks> Any interesting story you might want to share about contributing on Bitcoin?
 92 2019-09-05T08:26:04  <jouke> What are your private keys?
 93 2019-09-05T08:26:47  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
 94 2019-09-05T08:34:01  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2019-09-05T08:34:26  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2019-09-05T08:34:26  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2019-09-05T08:35:22  <coinmonks> Shit ..I didn't realise I was typing this on general chat :)
 98 2019-09-05T08:36:43  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 99 2019-09-05T08:36:46  <wumpus> heh
100 2019-09-05T08:42:40  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2019-09-05T08:43:33  *** kcalvina_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
102 2019-09-05T08:43:33  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
103 2019-09-05T09:00:02  *** tomatopotato has quit IRC
104 2019-09-05T09:16:13  *** kcalvina_ has quit IRC
105 2019-09-05T09:16:29  *** kcalvinalvin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2019-09-05T09:16:35  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2019-09-05T09:17:28  *** ranman1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2019-09-05T09:27:53  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
109 2019-09-05T09:29:11  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
110 2019-09-05T09:35:09  *** shesek has quit IRC
111 2019-09-05T09:38:00  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
112 2019-09-05T09:42:33  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2019-09-05T09:42:39  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2019-09-05T09:44:18  *** kcalvinalvin has quit IRC
115 2019-09-05T09:51:04  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
116 2019-09-05T09:51:49  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2019-09-05T09:57:44  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
118 2019-09-05T09:58:26  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
119 2019-09-05T10:07:01  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
120 2019-09-05T10:15:03  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
121 2019-09-05T10:31:15  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2019-09-05T10:47:03  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2019-09-05T10:47:58  *** davec has quit IRC
124 2019-09-05T10:48:33  <coinmonks> anyone from India here?
125 2019-09-05T10:50:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
126 2019-09-05T10:50:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #16806: doc: Add issue templates for bug and feature request (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16806
127 2019-09-05T10:50:07  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2019-09-05T10:55:37  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2019-09-05T10:56:53  *** shesek has quit IRC
130 2019-09-05T11:14:54  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
131 2019-09-05T11:29:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2019-09-05T11:29:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/45be44cce4fa...cbde2bc80674
133 2019-09-05T11:29:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fae91a0 MarcoFalke: test: Remove incorrect and unused try-block in assert_debug_log
134 2019-09-05T11:29:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master cbde2bc Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16804: test: Remove unused try-block in assert_debug_log
135 2019-09-05T11:29:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2019-09-05T11:30:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-09-05T11:30:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16804: test: Remove unused try-block in assert_debug_log (master...1909-testFix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16804
138 2019-09-05T11:30:33  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2019-09-05T11:31:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-09-05T11:31:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cbde2bc80674...5667b0d758f1
141 2019-09-05T11:31:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2457aea Samuel Dobson: Assert that the HRP is lowercase in Bech32::Encode
142 2019-09-05T11:31:42  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5667b0d Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #16792: Assert that the HRP is lowercase in Bech32::Encode
143 2019-09-05T11:31:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
144 2019-09-05T11:32:36  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-09-05T11:32:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #16792: Assert that the HRP is lowercase in Bech32::Encode (master...201909_bech32_hrp_check) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16792
146 2019-09-05T11:32:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
147 2019-09-05T11:32:42  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2019-09-05T11:38:45  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-09-05T11:40:47  *** coinmonks has quit IRC
150 2019-09-05T11:57:59  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-09-05T12:00:02  *** ranman1 has quit IRC
152 2019-09-05T12:11:32  *** spaced0ut has quit IRC
153 2019-09-05T12:12:32  *** davec has quit IRC
154 2019-09-05T12:13:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2019-09-05T12:13:18  *** spaced0ut has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2019-09-05T12:17:33  *** andrea5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2019-09-05T12:20:33  *** harrigan has quit IRC
158 2019-09-05T12:23:09  *** harrigan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-09-05T12:32:28  *** promag has quit IRC
160 2019-09-05T12:46:50  *** harrigan has quit IRC
161 2019-09-05T13:15:09  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2019-09-05T13:15:09  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider opened pull request #16807: Let validateaddress locate error in Bech32 address (master...201909_bech32_error_detection) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16807
163 2019-09-05T13:15:11  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2019-09-05T13:19:02  *** emilengler_ has quit IRC
165 2019-09-05T13:22:10  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2019-09-05T13:28:33  *** pbase has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2019-09-05T13:29:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2019-09-05T13:29:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5667b0d758f1...5e202382a987
169 2019-09-05T13:29:31  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a31be09 Antoine Riard: Encapsulate tx status in a Confirmation struct
170 2019-09-05T13:29:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7e89994 Antoine Riard: Remove SyncTransaction for conflicted txn in CWallet::BlockConnected
171 2019-09-05T13:29:32  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 40ede99 Antoine Riard: Modify wallet tx status if has been reorged out
172 2019-09-05T13:29:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2019-09-05T13:30:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-09-05T13:30:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider merged pull request #16624: wallet: encapsulate transactions state (master...2019-08-encapsulate-tx-state) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16624
175 2019-09-05T13:30:20  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2019-09-05T13:35:49  <meshcollider> review beg for #15450
177 2019-09-05T13:35:54  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15450 | gui: Create wallet menu option by achow101 · Pull Request #15450 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
178 2019-09-05T13:36:16  <meshcollider> its already on high priority list
179 2019-09-05T13:37:34  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2019-09-05T13:40:02  <meshcollider> I'd like to merge it tomorrow but it'd be great to have at least one more review or tester
181 2019-09-05T13:53:05  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-09-05T13:56:09  <jnewbery> #proposedmeetingtopic: review/merge #16704 or #16713 to remove worrying "unknown new rules activated (versionbit 1)" warning
183 2019-09-05T13:56:11  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16704 | Dont warn about activated buried BIP 9 deployments by achow101 · Pull Request #16704 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
184 2019-09-05T13:56:12  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16713 | logging: Redefine CSV and segwit deployments to avoid unknown softforks warning by jnewbery · Pull Request #16713 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
185 2019-09-05T13:58:59  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
186 2019-09-05T13:59:19  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-09-05T14:01:05  *** shesek has quit IRC
188 2019-09-05T14:04:11  *** nullptr| has quit IRC
189 2019-09-05T14:05:52  *** nullptr| has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2019-09-05T14:09:44  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-09-05T14:11:27  <fanquake> meshcollider: just make sure you check/close/merge the base PR as well. I assume it’s still the same in create wallet. Has 1 ACK I think.
192 2019-09-05T14:13:57  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
193 2019-09-05T14:15:16  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2019-09-05T14:16:19  *** astro has quit IRC
195 2019-09-05T14:16:19  *** mryandao has quit IRC
196 2019-09-05T14:16:27  <meshcollider> fanquake: I see yeah, why is the base PR not on the high priority list as well/instead?
197 2019-09-05T14:16:41  *** astro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2019-09-05T14:16:43  *** mryandao has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2019-09-05T14:17:13  <fanquake> meshcollider: it is
200 2019-09-05T14:17:23  <fanquake> #16261
201 2019-09-05T14:17:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16261 | gui: Refactor OpenWalletActivity by promag · Pull Request #16261 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
202 2019-09-05T14:18:36  <meshcollider> Oh I totally missed that, sorry
203 2019-09-05T14:18:50  <meshcollider> Yeah I saw the PR just didn't see it on the list for some reason
204 2019-09-05T14:23:15  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2019-09-05T14:43:32  <aj> jnewbery: https://github.com/ajtowns/bitcoin/commits/201909-unknown-softforks -- i would've thought something like that would make more sense than reinstating csv/segwit into vDeployments?
206 2019-09-05T14:43:49  <aj> jnewbery: (also, shorter :)
207 2019-09-05T14:45:55  <jnewbery> aj: looks good to me!
208 2019-09-05T14:46:51  <aj> jnewbery: if you like it, put a PR on it? :)
209 2019-09-05T14:47:01  <aj> jnewbery: i mean, feel free to merge it into your PR :)
210 2019-09-05T15:00:02  *** andrea5 has quit IRC
211 2019-09-05T15:01:20  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
212 2019-09-05T15:02:19  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2019-09-05T15:10:48  *** behradkhodayar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2019-09-05T15:12:29  *** pbase has quit IRC
215 2019-09-05T15:13:53  <jnewbery> aj: testing now
216 2019-09-05T15:17:23  *** Velociraptor1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2019-09-05T15:21:06  <aj> jnewbery: thinking about it, could just set it to 0 for regtest (since no historical versionbit stuff for segwit etc needed there); which means it could be set straight after the buried heights not after -segwitheight is worked out
218 2019-09-05T15:41:00  *** alko has quit IRC
219 2019-09-05T15:43:36  *** alko has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2019-09-05T15:44:24  <jonatack> meshcollider: re-reviewing #15450 now
221 2019-09-05T15:44:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15450 | gui: Create wallet menu option by achow101 · Pull Request #15450 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
222 2019-09-05T15:44:37  *** alko has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2019-09-05T15:53:40  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
224 2019-09-05T15:57:55  *** behradkhodayar has quit IRC
225 2019-09-05T15:58:12  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2019-09-05T16:00:24  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
227 2019-09-05T16:03:51  *** setpill has quit IRC
228 2019-09-05T16:07:47  <stevenroose> Is there already a C++ implementation of the taproot tagged hashes? I'm looking for some example values to test an implementation against.
229 2019-09-05T16:12:15  <sipa> stevenroose: sure, https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/blob/taproot/src/script/interpreter.cpp#L1324L1331
230 2019-09-05T16:12:21  <sipa> note that nothing about taproot is final
231 2019-09-05T16:12:29  <sipa> (or even guaranteed to make it in)
232 2019-09-05T16:18:35  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2019-09-05T16:19:46  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2019-09-05T16:20:04  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
235 2019-09-05T16:21:22  *** doesnt-code has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2019-09-05T16:26:36  <stevenroose> sipa: I realize, but it doesn't hurt to start experimenting with some implementation already :)
237 2019-09-05T16:26:52  *** DougieBot5000 has quit IRC
238 2019-09-05T16:28:38  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
239 2019-09-05T16:30:03  <sipa> of course
240 2019-09-05T16:34:09  *** DougieBot5000 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2019-09-05T16:35:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
242 2019-09-05T16:36:35  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
243 2019-09-05T16:37:27  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2019-09-05T16:46:24  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
245 2019-09-05T16:49:11  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-09-05T16:50:59  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
247 2019-09-05T16:52:57  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2019-09-05T16:53:48  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
249 2019-09-05T16:56:17  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
250 2019-09-05T17:00:30  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2019-09-05T17:04:53  *** promag has quit IRC
252 2019-09-05T17:05:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2019-09-05T17:08:50  <fjahr> I would like to ask for feedback on my proposal for a rolling UTXO set hash (originally proposed by sipa) at the meeting today. If possible please take a look at my write up: https://gist.github.com/fjahr/fa4892874b090d3a4f4fccc5bafa0210
254 2019-09-05T17:09:20  *** dermoth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-09-05T17:12:03  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-09-05T17:16:51  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2019-09-05T17:19:11  <fjahr> #proposedmeetingtopic Rolling UTXO set hash
258 2019-09-05T17:22:27  *** promag has quit IRC
259 2019-09-05T17:23:12  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2019-09-05T17:24:44  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2019-09-05T17:28:55  *** promag has quit IRC
262 2019-09-05T17:32:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2019-09-05T17:32:54  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
264 2019-09-05T17:34:09  <achow101> #proposedmeetingtopic avoid loading every wallet transaction into memory
265 2019-09-05T17:37:16  *** promag has quit IRC
266 2019-09-05T17:41:20  <sipa> fjahr: cool!
267 2019-09-05T17:58:35  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
268 2019-09-05T17:58:53  <jnewbery> aj: done: #16713
269 2019-09-05T17:58:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16713 | logging: Redefine CSV and segwit deployments to avoid unknown softforks warning by jnewbery · Pull Request #16713 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
270 2019-09-05T17:59:05  <jnewbery> thanks
271 2019-09-05T17:59:47  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
272 2019-09-05T17:59:58  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-09-05T18:00:01  *** Velociraptor1 has quit IRC
274 2019-09-05T18:00:08  <instagibbs> any trick to these travis timeouts im seeing
275 2019-09-05T18:00:10  <instagibbs> 10 minutes no output
276 2019-09-05T18:00:36  <sipa> yeah i'm seeing it too
277 2019-09-05T18:02:57  <instagibbs> I used to get these with some secp-zkp stress tests on 32 bit arch, first time seeing them anywhere else really :(
278 2019-09-05T18:04:20  <BlueMatt> last-ditch attempt at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16421 for 0.19....already has 2.5 acks....
279 2019-09-05T18:11:18  *** foobar17 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
280 2019-09-05T18:12:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-09-05T18:12:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #16704: Don't warn about activated buried BIP 9 deployments (master...buried-versionbits-cache) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16704
282 2019-09-05T18:12:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2019-09-05T18:17:44  *** total1ty has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
284 2019-09-05T18:22:32  <sipa> i don't understand this appveyor error:
285 2019-09-05T18:22:32  <sipa> c:\projects\bitcoin\src\script\miniscript.cpp(274): error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated [C:\projects\bitcoin\build_msvc\libbitcoin_common\libbitcoin_common.vcxproj]
286 2019-09-05T18:22:34  <sipa>      6>c:\projects\bitcoin\src\script\miniscript.cpp(274): warning C4101: 'error': unreferenced local variable [C:\projects\bitcoin\build_msvc\libbitcoin_common\libbitcoin_common.vcxproj]
287 2019-09-05T18:23:00  <sipa> it'd be nice to know what variable is unreferenced
288 2019-09-05T18:24:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
289 2019-09-05T18:24:57  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] GChuf opened pull request #16808: GUI: fix and stylize language list (master...translation-list-fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16808
290 2019-09-05T18:24:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-09-05T18:26:32  <MarcoFalke> the travis timeouts when running apt update in docker are known for months
292 2019-09-05T18:26:45  <MarcoFalke> I have a ticket open with them, but no real reply or solution
293 2019-09-05T18:26:48  <sipa> seems i haven't been submitting many PRs lately :)
294 2019-09-05T18:27:25  <MarcoFalke> Sometimes the warnings don't come for a week or two, but at some point they are back ..
295 2019-09-05T18:28:30  <MarcoFalke> sipa: The variable is literally 'error': https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16800/files#diff-2ce6275a6ed9764e6d2917e4bca2d587R274
296 2019-09-05T18:29:06  <MarcoFalke> I think you can fix it by removing ' error' from that line
297 2019-09-05T18:29:39  <sipa> huh
298 2019-09-05T18:29:49  <sipa> oops, i was looking in the wrong branch :(
299 2019-09-05T18:29:59  <sipa> thanks
300 2019-09-05T18:30:03  *** xzytrewq has quit IRC
301 2019-09-05T18:33:22  *** xzytrewq has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2019-09-05T18:36:43  *** owowo has quit IRC
303 2019-09-05T18:36:44  <jb55> I might have missed the convo but has anyone looked at github actions for builds?
304 2019-09-05T18:37:54  <sipa> yes
305 2019-09-05T18:39:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2019-09-05T18:39:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #16809: depends: zlib: Move toolchain options to configure (master...2019-09-improve-zlib-pkg) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16809
307 2019-09-05T18:39:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
308 2019-09-05T18:40:41  <dongcarl> jb55: I believe MarcoFalke talked about it a little on #bitcoin-builds, don't remember exactly but you could search the logs
309 2019-09-05T18:42:32  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
310 2019-09-05T18:42:32  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
311 2019-09-05T18:48:11  *** xzytrewq has quit IRC
312 2019-09-05T18:51:32  *** ddustin has quit IRC
313 2019-09-05T18:52:16  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2019-09-05T18:53:54  <MarcoFalke> github actions is in beta and does not accomodate our use-case (for now)
315 2019-09-05T18:54:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2019-09-05T18:54:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #16810: guix: Remove ssp spec file hack (master...2019-09-guix-remove-ssp-spec) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16810
317 2019-09-05T18:54:48  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
318 2019-09-05T18:56:55  *** ddustin has quit IRC
319 2019-09-05T19:00:35  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
320 2019-09-05T19:01:11  <achow101> meeting?
321 2019-09-05T19:01:14  <wumpus> #startmeeting
322 2019-09-05T19:01:14  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Sep  5 19:01:14 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
323 2019-09-05T19:01:14  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
324 2019-09-05T19:01:15  <sipa> meeting?
325 2019-09-05T19:01:18  <jonasschnelli> hi
326 2019-09-05T19:01:21  <sipa> hi
327 2019-09-05T19:01:29  <achow101> hi
328 2019-09-05T19:01:31  <aj> hola
329 2019-09-05T19:01:32  <MarcoFalke> hoy
330 2019-09-05T19:01:48  <meshcollider> hi
331 2019-09-05T19:02:03  <moneyball> hi
332 2019-09-05T19:02:06  *** Kvaciral has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
333 2019-09-05T19:02:08  *** iamtimmarchant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-09-05T19:02:11  <instagibbs> hi
335 2019-09-05T19:02:16  <wumpus> there are three proposed topics in https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a
336 2019-09-05T19:02:32  <wumpus> - proposed by jnewbery:  review/merge #16704 or #16713 to remove worrying "unknown new rules activated (versionbit 1)" warning
337 2019-09-05T19:02:34  <wumpus> - proposed by fjahr: Rolling UTXO set hash
338 2019-09-05T19:02:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16704 | Dont warn about activated buried BIP 9 deployments by achow101 · Pull Request #16704 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
339 2019-09-05T19:02:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16713 | Ignore old versionbit activations to avoid unknown softforks warning by jnewbery · Pull Request #16713 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
340 2019-09-05T19:02:36  <wumpus> - proposed by achow101: avoid loading every wallet transaction into memory
341 2019-09-05T19:02:43  <jeremyrubin> hi
342 2019-09-05T19:02:48  <fjahr> hi
343 2019-09-05T19:02:51  <jonatack> hi
344 2019-09-05T19:03:03  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral
345 2019-09-05T19:03:42  <wumpus> but let's start with the usual
346 2019-09-05T19:03:47  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
347 2019-09-05T19:04:04  <wumpus> 7 blockers, 7 things chasing concept ACK https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
348 2019-09-05T19:04:09  <gleb> hi
349 2019-09-05T19:04:18  <BlueMatt> I think its already there, but https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16421 is close to landing and I still really want it for 19
350 2019-09-05T19:04:20  <wumpus> note that the feature freeze for 0.19 is in 10 days
351 2019-09-05T19:04:23  <BlueMatt> (and its a small diff!)
352 2019-09-05T19:04:32  <wumpus> so we likely want to prioritize features that are close to ready now
353 2019-09-05T19:04:54  <wumpus> right
354 2019-09-05T19:05:08  <wumpus> would be nice if that makes it in
355 2019-09-05T19:05:32  <gleb> #16702 is done code-wise (I think),  but perhaps it's suboptimal to add it to high prio at this point when we're close to the feature freeze.
356 2019-09-05T19:05:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16702 | p2p: supplying and using asmap to improve IP bucketing in addrman by naumenkogs · Pull Request #16702 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
357 2019-09-05T19:05:47  <wumpus> also #15759
358 2019-09-05T19:05:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15759 | p2p: Add 2 outbound block-relay-only connections by sdaftuar · Pull Request #15759 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
359 2019-09-05T19:06:22  <wumpus> gleb: yes, we might want to keep that for 0.20
360 2019-09-05T19:07:31  <wumpus> also requires too much review to still make it to 0.19 anyway
361 2019-09-05T19:07:38  <wumpus> still, great to hear you're making progress!
362 2019-09-05T19:08:18  <sipa> yeah, that sounds like too close to make it
363 2019-09-05T19:08:35  <jeremyrubin> Not super critical, and it's relatively new so not much time for review, but would help me to get  #16766 as my work on OP_SECURETHEBAG wallet support depends on it
364 2019-09-05T19:08:37  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16766 | wallet: Make IsTrusted scan parents recursively by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #16766 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
365 2019-09-05T19:08:38  <sipa> i'll review 15759 again
366 2019-09-05T19:08:46  <BlueMatt> 16702 is probably a bit far review-wise, though it would be nice, but 15759 is also really close and should god
367 2019-09-05T19:08:47  <jeremyrubin> And I think it is a bug
368 2019-09-05T19:09:57  <sipa> bug fixes can go after the feature freeze
369 2019-09-05T19:10:11  <wumpus> yes
370 2019-09-05T19:10:32  <jeremyrubin> wasn't sure as it's a substantial behavior change for wallet, but fine :)
371 2019-09-05T19:10:45  <wumpus> they can go any time ("scan parents recursively" sounds scary to me though, performance wise :)
372 2019-09-05T19:11:04  <sipa> it's cached to avoid exponential blowup
373 2019-09-05T19:11:10  <sipa> but otherwise, yeah
374 2019-09-05T19:11:15  <instagibbs> also depends on how new the bug is. I *think* it's ancient behavior that "normally" never hits
375 2019-09-05T19:11:16  <wumpus> phew
376 2019-09-05T19:11:17  <instagibbs> anyways
377 2019-09-05T19:11:46  <sipa> instagibbs: agree
378 2019-09-05T19:12:16  <jeremyrubin> instagibbs: I think that is correct
379 2019-09-05T19:12:29  <instagibbs> with fancier wallet setups we may actually hit it :)
380 2019-09-05T19:12:46  <wumpus> anyhow I've added it to high priority for review as requested, people can choose for themselves what to review
381 2019-09-05T19:13:26  <wumpus> #topic remove worrying "unknown new rules activated (versionbit 1)" warning (jnewbery)
382 2019-09-05T19:13:30  <wumpus> yes please
383 2019-09-05T19:13:54  <wumpus> so I guess the disussion is: #16704 or #16713
384 2019-09-05T19:13:55  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16704 | Dont warn about activated buried BIP 9 deployments by achow101 · Pull Request #16704 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
385 2019-09-05T19:13:56  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16713 | Ignore old versionbit activations to avoid unknown softforks warning by jnewbery · Pull Request #16713 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
386 2019-09-05T19:14:24  <achow101> 16713 is the simpler, easier to review fix
387 2019-09-05T19:14:52  <achow101> But I think it would be better to eventually get rid of these deployment parameters and have a more permanent solution that lets us reuse bits in the future
388 2019-09-05T19:15:19  <wumpus> what disadvantages does it have compared to the other one?
389 2019-09-05T19:15:25  <MarcoFalke> bits can be reused as long as they don't overlap in time
390 2019-09-05T19:15:27  <aj> 16713 is updated as of a few hours to be even simpler; i think it lets us reuse bits fine?
391 2019-09-05T19:15:42  <wumpus> e.g. why are there two open at all?
392 2019-09-05T19:16:00  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: yup
393 2019-09-05T19:16:10  <MarcoFalke> I already closed the one by achow101 *hides*
394 2019-09-05T19:16:26  <aj> MarcoFalke: smooth
395 2019-09-05T19:17:24  <wumpus> ok, that concludes the discussion then I guess :)
396 2019-09-05T19:17:26  <achow101> my understanding of how consensus.vDeployments worked was that you couldn't define two forks with the same bit since they'd have to occupy the same index position and that's not possible
397 2019-09-05T19:17:40  <wumpus> oh
398 2019-09-05T19:17:42  <achow101> but 16713 has changed since I last reviewed it and it looks very different
399 2019-09-05T19:17:43  <wumpus> sorry
400 2019-09-05T19:18:06  <MarcoFalke> oh, maybe you are right when it comes to the implementation. Though, BIP9 does allow it
401 2019-09-05T19:18:21  <wumpus> BIP9 definitely allows it, that was an important part of the design
402 2019-09-05T19:18:25  <aj> achow101: vDeployments just matches the enum, the actual bits used are independant, and just have to not overlap per their corresponding timestamps
403 2019-09-05T19:18:51  <sipa> i haven't looked at the code in a while, but it was certainly intended to permit reuse of bits
404 2019-09-05T19:19:26  <sipa> the deployments array index is independent from the bip9 bit position
405 2019-09-05T19:19:38  <instagibbs> yep
406 2019-09-05T19:19:57  <aj> achow101: see VersionBitsConditionChecker::Mask in versionbits.cpp, it pulls out the .bit field from BIP9Deployment struct
407 2019-09-05T19:20:16  *** foobar17 has quit IRC
408 2019-09-05T19:21:08  <achow101> i'm probably wrong
409 2019-09-05T19:21:24  <instagibbs> It was confusing the first time I read it, I came to same wrong conclusion
410 2019-09-05T19:22:10  <aj> achow101: there's also a unit test for overlapping bit usage on mainnet in src/test/versionbits_tests.cpp, "Verify that the deployment windows of [...]"
411 2019-09-05T19:22:21  *** reallll has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
412 2019-09-05T19:22:26  <wumpus> if even experienced developers get confused by it, some documentation/comments might help in that case
413 2019-09-05T19:24:04  <wumpus> #action please review #16713 so that it can be merged asap
414 2019-09-05T19:24:04  <MarcoFalke> I think it shouldn't matter in practice, hopefully there are less than 27 softforks in the future
415 2019-09-05T19:24:06  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16713 | Ignore old versionbit activations to avoid unknown softforks warning by jnewbery · Pull Request #16713 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
416 2019-09-05T19:24:27  <wumpus> given that 'the future' is unbounded, that's a difficult statement
417 2019-09-05T19:25:07  <wumpus> #topic Rolling UTXO set hash (fjahr)
418 2019-09-05T19:25:40  <fjahr> Did anyone have time to look at the proposal? Any questions?
419 2019-09-05T19:25:52  *** belcher has quit IRC
420 2019-09-05T19:25:54  <achow101> link?
421 2019-09-05T19:26:01  <instagibbs> fjahr, pitch it to us in a few sentences :)
422 2019-09-05T19:26:23  <fjahr> https://gist.github.com/fjahr/fa4892874b090d3a4f4fccc5bafa0210
423 2019-09-05T19:26:24  <sipa> fjahr: it's not clear to me exactly what you're proposal :)
424 2019-09-05T19:26:32  <fjahr> I have picked up Pieter Wuille's proposal from 2017 to use a rolling hash for the UTXO set hash. It deals with the problem of a long computation time of the UTXO set hash which results in a slow RPC call gettxoutsetinfo (can take several minutes depending on hardware). I investigated three hash functions: MuHash, ECMH and LtHash and started implementing them in Bitcoin Core for comparison. However only MuHash
425 2019-09-05T19:26:32  <fjahr> has a rolling hash implementation so far and my LtHash code is not as optimized as MuHash and ECMH. I am looking for feedback on concept, which choice to make for the hash function and implementation details before filing a PR to Bitcoin Core.
426 2019-09-05T19:27:04  <sipa> it's a complicated question, as the right design may depend on how we intend to use the construction
427 2019-09-05T19:27:07  *** spinza_ has quit IRC
428 2019-09-05T19:27:12  <wumpus> fjahr: thanks for picking it up!
429 2019-09-05T19:27:33  <MarcoFalke> I think one use case is assumeutxo
430 2019-09-05T19:28:01  <fjahr> sipa: by construction you mean the hash, right?
431 2019-09-05T19:28:02  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2019-09-05T19:28:08  <sipa> fjahr: right
433 2019-09-05T19:28:24  <sipa> assumeutxo (at least with a from-network-sync approach) will probably need more than just a single hash, as you want to be able to verify chunks etc
434 2019-09-05T19:28:58  <sipa> fjahr: if i recall correctly, the biggest question i had was how to prioritize computation time vs use-from-cache time
435 2019-09-05T19:29:44  <sipa> ECMH is slower to compute, but very fast to use from cached values (e.g. if you have precomputed the "diff" ECMH hash a transaction has, applying to a global sum is super fast)
436 2019-09-05T19:29:51  <sipa> but MuHash is faster is overall computation time
437 2019-09-05T19:29:51  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
438 2019-09-05T19:31:21  <fjahr> From my benchmarks ECMH was faster overall but I am not sure why MuHash did not perform as you expect in you Mail
439 2019-09-05T19:31:25  *** shesek has quit IRC
440 2019-09-05T19:32:07  <sipa> where do you see a discrepancy? in the hash-to-group-element operation, or in the multity?
441 2019-09-05T19:32:11  <sipa> *multiply?
442 2019-09-05T19:32:24  <sipa> actually i think the discussion of what hash to pick is less important for this meeting
443 2019-09-05T19:32:34  <sipa> we should probably focus on ways to integrate
444 2019-09-05T19:33:16  <fjahr> ok, and also if there is enough interest for this
445 2019-09-05T19:33:25  <aj> it's super cool
446 2019-09-05T19:33:48  <jeremyrubin> Are both constructions one-way?
447 2019-09-05T19:33:55  <jeremyrubin> How does that interplay with reorgs
448 2019-09-05T19:33:58  <fjahr> In terms of integration I chose to implement this as an index, any feedback on this?
449 2019-09-05T19:34:11  <jeremyrubin> Maybe I should read more out of band of here...
450 2019-09-05T19:34:12  <sipa> fjahr: that really depends what for
451 2019-09-05T19:34:56  <fjahr> jeremyrubin: hashes can also be removed again so no problem with reorgs
452 2019-09-05T19:35:00  <sipa> i think as an index it's hard to use precomputation
453 2019-09-05T19:35:15  <sipa> which you really want if you want the rolling part
454 2019-09-05T19:37:25  *** iamtimmarchant has quit IRC
455 2019-09-05T19:37:27  <fjahr> sipa: what would you suggest in terms of integration?
456 2019-09-05T19:38:02  *** iamtimmarchant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
457 2019-09-05T19:38:04  <sipa> that really depends on what we want to use it for
458 2019-09-05T19:39:17  <aj> sipa: could have it rolling, but in it's own slightly delayed thread like tx indexes, without worrying about precomputation, at least if you don't want to enforce it in consensus
459 2019-09-05T19:39:39  <wumpus> there's 20 minutes to go and still a topic left, let's move on?
460 2019-09-05T19:39:52  <sipa> fjahr: let's talk more after the meeting
461 2019-09-05T19:40:00  <fjahr> sipa: sure
462 2019-09-05T19:40:13  <wumpus> #topic avoid loading every wallet transaction into memory (achow101)
463 2019-09-05T19:40:18  <wumpus> thanks
464 2019-09-05T19:40:18  <sipa> btw, the secp ECMH code you have looks great
465 2019-09-05T19:40:37  <achow101> This is a wallet topic, and probably better for the wallet meeting, but that's next week..
466 2019-09-05T19:40:50  <wumpus> is there any hurry? :-)
467 2019-09-05T19:41:00  <achow101> I was thinking about ways to reduce the memory footprint of loaded wallet files
468 2019-09-05T19:41:17  <wumpus> concept ACK anyhow
469 2019-09-05T19:41:24  <jonasschnelli> jup. also ack
470 2019-09-05T19:41:36  <sipa> achow101: seems hard
471 2019-09-05T19:41:42  <achow101> I was wondering if anyone who was more familiar with the wallet tracking part of the wallet knew if this was attempted before or would majorly break something?
472 2019-09-05T19:42:00  <wumpus> it always seemed unnecessary to me to keep all transactions, even historical ones with all outputs spent, in memory
473 2019-09-05T19:42:15  <jonasschnelli> There is a PR where all wallettxns where kept in mem
474 2019-09-05T19:42:31  <jonasschnelli> +different DB formst
475 2019-09-05T19:42:34  <wumpus> but yes, it's such a part of the current wallet design, it's definitely not going to be easy
476 2019-09-05T19:42:49  <jonasschnelli> #5686 (very old)
477 2019-09-05T19:42:51  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/5686 | [Wallet] replace BDB with internal append only (logdb) backend by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #5686 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
478 2019-09-05T19:42:53  <sipa> achow101: you mean not _show_ them anymore
479 2019-09-05T19:42:59  <sipa> or just not load them in memory?
480 2019-09-05T19:43:15  <achow101> not load them into memory, so it would read from disk when the full tx is needed
481 2019-09-05T19:43:21  <wumpus> right
482 2019-09-05T19:43:26  <achow101> I plan on just keeping UTXOs and txids in memory
483 2019-09-05T19:43:39  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
484 2019-09-05T19:43:40  <sipa> achow101: i wish you good luck :)
485 2019-09-05T19:43:44  <jonasschnelli> heh
486 2019-09-05T19:43:46  <wumpus> outward behavior probably shouldn't change
487 2019-09-05T19:44:05  <jonasschnelli> Why not just loading everything into memory?
488 2019-09-05T19:44:15  <jonasschnelli> I think 1000+ wallets are OOS
489 2019-09-05T19:44:26  * jeremyrubin wonders how big the largest wallet is
490 2019-09-05T19:44:37  *** reallll is now known as belcher
491 2019-09-05T19:44:37  <sipa> OOS?
492 2019-09-05T19:44:41  <jonasschnelli> out of scope
493 2019-09-05T19:44:42  <jeremyrubin> out of scope
494 2019-09-05T19:44:48  <wumpus> there are some heavy users of bitcoin core which have to re-cycle their wallet once in a while because it becomes to big
495 2019-09-05T19:45:00  <sipa> i don't think memory usage is the problem there
496 2019-09-05T19:45:10  <achow101> big wallets also take a while to load, although I don't expect this to effect that
497 2019-09-05T19:45:12  <sipa> just the size of the maps that's being traversed for a multitude of operations
498 2019-09-05T19:45:18  <wumpus> loading time is likely the problem, yes
499 2019-09-05T19:45:31  <wumpus> then again that's directly related
500 2019-09-05T19:45:37  <achow101> ideally this will also reduce the time it takes to calculate things like balances since not every single transaction will be iterated over
501 2019-09-05T19:45:54  <wumpus> yes, exactly
502 2019-09-05T19:45:56  <sipa> achow101: i'm very very scared of things like that
503 2019-09-05T19:45:59  <jarthur> Are exchanges and other large-scale wallet-holders recommended to use Core purely for networking, and maintain their own non-Core wallets?
504 2019-09-05T19:46:01  <sipa> it needs a completely new design i'm afraid
505 2019-09-05T19:46:16  <achow101> sipa: how so?
506 2019-09-05T19:46:27  <sipa> everything is transaction oriented in the current wallet
507 2019-09-05T19:46:34  <wumpus> jarthur: some use core, but can't mention any names
508 2019-09-05T19:46:40  <sipa> new transactions that can others to become conflicted etc
509 2019-09-05T19:46:43  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
510 2019-09-05T19:47:04  <sipa> changing that to a UTXO model and keeping it in sync with the list of transactions... sounds very hard
511 2019-09-05T19:47:19  <achow101> right, but I think those can still be done by just a list of txids, spent prevouts, and utxos
512 2019-09-05T19:47:24  <jeremyrubin> is it a more important goal to reduce the number of txns or the amount of data each one is storing?
513 2019-09-05T19:47:45  <sipa> but you still need all the dependency tracking between transactions to compute the utxos
514 2019-09-05T19:48:04  <sipa> you can cache the utxo list; that would probably be a worthwhile performance improvement
515 2019-09-05T19:48:18  <wumpus> that would likely be a better first step
516 2019-09-05T19:48:24  *** Victor_sueca is now known as Victorssueca
517 2019-09-05T19:48:28  <sipa> but getting rid of the transaction entirely... i don't see how
518 2019-09-05T19:48:36  <achow101> also, maybe just loading a neutered transaction without input scripts, because we don't need those
519 2019-09-05T19:48:49  <sipa> achow101: yeah that can work
520 2019-09-05T19:48:53  <jeremyrubin> achow101: that's what I was getting at :)
521 2019-09-05T19:49:18  <sipa> achow101: also, don't let me discourage you if you see a good way to implement it :)
522 2019-09-05T19:49:32  <sipa> i'm happy to be convinced otherwise
523 2019-09-05T19:49:35  <wumpus> there's definitely some cut-off possible, I mean, transactions from years ago can't really become conflicted anymore
524 2019-09-05T19:49:35  <jeremyrubin> achow101: a good first step might be to cache the scriptPubKey of inputs in a WtX
525 2019-09-05T19:50:36  <sipa> i suspect thay in native descriptor wallets the IsMine check will be a lot faster than it currently is
526 2019-09-05T19:50:38  <achow101> anyways, that's all. just wanted to get some opinions before diving in
527 2019-09-05T19:50:43  <wumpus> at some point spent transactions deep enough in the chain can be permantly archived
528 2019-09-05T19:51:24  <wumpus> might be non-trivial to come up with criteria but I don't think every transaction needs to be potentially active forever
529 2019-09-05T19:51:37  <wumpus> achow101: good luck !
530 2019-09-05T19:53:03  <wumpus> #endmeeting
531 2019-09-05T19:53:03  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Sep  5 19:53:03 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
532 2019-09-05T19:53:03  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-09-05-19.01.html
533 2019-09-05T19:53:03  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-09-05-19.01.txt
534 2019-09-05T19:53:03  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-09-05-19.01.log.html
535 2019-09-05T19:53:14  <jarthur> MarcoFalke: glad to see the flake8 update finally made it in and you won't have to keep rebasing it. :)
536 2019-09-05T19:53:19  *** iamtimmarchant has quit IRC
537 2019-09-05T19:53:43  <jeremyrubin> achow101: you can save *some* memory by repacking the CWalletTx struct I bet :)
538 2019-09-05T19:54:31  <wumpus> if you repack it you might as well re-retrieve it from the database
539 2019-09-05T19:55:08  <achow101> I want to avoid touching the wallet database, although that may not be possible
540 2019-09-05T19:55:31  <jeremyrubin> I meant just the fact that there's a lot of fields in the struct that are char then uint64 or something
541 2019-09-05T19:55:41  <jeremyrubin> which adds a lot of interior padding
542 2019-09-05T19:56:00  <wumpus> suure
543 2019-09-05T19:56:12  <jeremyrubin> I did say *some*
544 2019-09-05T19:56:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
545 2019-09-05T19:56:17  <achow101> just a bit
546 2019-09-05T19:56:43  <achow101> At this rate, I think I'll have rewritten the entire wallet by this time next year
547 2019-09-05T19:57:00  <sipa> if done incrementally, i think that'd be great :)
548 2019-09-05T19:57:16  <wumpus> if you manage to do that you're the first ever person to achieve it, people have been saying that since 2011 or so though
549 2019-09-05T19:57:37  <sipa> haha
550 2019-09-05T19:57:45  <sipa> in 2011 the wallet was still part of main.cpp :p
551 2019-09-05T19:57:47  <wumpus> but I'm happy to see the work picking up lately on the wallet
552 2019-09-05T19:57:49  <sipa> we've come a long way
553 2019-09-05T19:59:04  <wumpus> yes, we've come a long way, for a long time there was hardly any interest in it and some devs were even arguing about removing it because it was just too bad
554 2019-09-05T19:59:29  <wumpus> it's definitely not like that anymore
555 2019-09-05T20:09:55  *** xzytrewq has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
556 2019-09-05T20:13:48  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
557 2019-09-05T20:13:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] martinus closed pull request #16801: faster & less memory for sync: bulk pool allocator for node based containers (master...2019-08-bulkpoolallocator) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16801
558 2019-09-05T20:13:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2019-09-05T20:14:20  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2019-09-05T20:14:20  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] martinus reopened pull request #16801: faster & less memory for sync: bulk pool allocator for node based containers (master...2019-08-bulkpoolallocator) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16801
561 2019-09-05T20:14:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2019-09-05T20:27:32  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
563 2019-09-05T20:30:27  *** Deadhand has quit IRC
564 2019-09-05T20:32:17  *** Deadhand has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
565 2019-09-05T20:54:50  *** so has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2019-09-05T20:56:11  *** kristapsk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2019-09-05T20:56:27  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
568 2019-09-05T21:00:02  *** total1ty has quit IRC
569 2019-09-05T21:03:45  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2019-09-05T21:08:24  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
571 2019-09-05T21:09:29  *** Kvaciral has quit IRC
572 2019-09-05T21:17:35  *** carldani1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
573 2019-09-05T21:19:35  <instagibbs> for all the hate on the wallet, the only other solutions are things like Electrum personal server, and other more ad hoc solutions. It's a project worth iterating on :)
574 2019-09-05T21:20:45  <instagibbs> > jeremyrubin wonders how big the largest wallet is
575 2019-09-05T21:20:55  <instagibbs> I've seen a multi GB testnet wallet, but that likely doesn't count
576 2019-09-05T21:21:38  <instagibbs> if you end up using Core wallet for "industrial" wallet it indeed slows significantly. rhavar probably has some anecdotes
577 2019-09-05T21:24:30  <sipa> change IsMine() to return true; and watch your wallet.dat explode :p
578 2019-09-05T21:26:16  <instagibbs> I guess the slowdown is just iterating through all txns anyways, so meh :)
579 2019-09-05T21:28:54  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
580 2019-09-05T21:32:33  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
581 2019-09-05T21:45:22  <phantomcircuit> instagibbs, it does count, don't down play my entirely valid usecase
582 2019-09-05T21:45:26  * phantomcircuit runs away
583 2019-09-05T21:53:47  *** Zenton has quit IRC
584 2019-09-05T22:01:54  *** Blockx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2019-09-05T22:06:04  *** doesnt-code has quit IRC
586 2019-09-05T22:13:54  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
587 2019-09-05T22:14:11  *** Blockx has quit IRC
588 2019-09-05T22:30:40  *** doesnt-code has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
589 2019-09-05T22:30:54  *** jarthur has quit IRC
590 2019-09-05T22:37:56  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
591 2019-09-05T22:41:28  *** doesnt-code has quit IRC
592 2019-09-05T22:42:56  *** kristapsk_ is now known as kristapsk
593 2019-09-05T22:48:10  *** ddustin has quit IRC
594 2019-09-05T23:08:26  <warren> instagibbs: I've seen a very large Bitcoin exchange in Asia that had suffered for years with a single wallet.dat for all customer wallets. It got to the point where ordinary RPC queries against that wallet would take several minutes. As a workaround for faster queries I told them to setup many parallel servers with bitcoind -txindex and watch-only wallets so that they could parallelize their lookups. I also warned that they check for block
595 2019-09-05T23:08:26  <warren> height agreement before querying anything.
596 2019-09-05T23:13:47  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
597 2019-09-05T23:27:08  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
598 2019-09-05T23:29:28  *** ccdle12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
599 2019-09-05T23:33:33  *** ccdle12 has quit IRC
600 2019-09-05T23:47:56  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
601 2019-09-05T23:47:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ch4ot1c opened pull request #16812: doc: Fix whitespace errs in .md files, bitcoin.conf, and Info.plist.in (master...docs/lint-markdown) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16812
602 2019-09-05T23:47:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
603 2019-09-05T23:56:01  <jb55> might be handy to have a very large test wallet for performance testing
604 2019-09-05T23:56:17  *** xzytrewq has quit IRC