1 2019-10-10T00:00:01  *** midnightmagic1 has quit IRC
  2 2019-10-10T00:05:24  *** laptop500 has quit IRC
  3 2019-10-10T00:06:50  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-10-10T00:09:23  *** captjakk has quit IRC
  5 2019-10-10T00:09:36  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-10-10T00:10:12  *** captjakk has quit IRC
  7 2019-10-10T00:10:23  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2019-10-10T00:11:44  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2019-10-10T00:13:39  *** jkczyz has quit IRC
 10 2019-10-10T00:15:38  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 11 2019-10-10T00:16:29  *** HaeB1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2019-10-10T00:19:49  *** nosss2 has quit IRC
 13 2019-10-10T00:22:59  *** jkczyz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-10-10T00:23:19  *** arik_ has quit IRC
 15 2019-10-10T00:36:27  *** m1rror8955363887 has quit IRC
 16 2019-10-10T00:37:45  *** jkczyz has quit IRC
 17 2019-10-10T00:45:55  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-10-10T00:57:23  *** jeremyrubin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2019-10-10T01:05:40  *** arik_ has quit IRC
 20 2019-10-10T01:06:39  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 21 2019-10-10T01:07:27  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-10-10T01:09:53  *** jkczyz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2019-10-10T01:10:29  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2019-10-10T01:11:37  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 25 2019-10-10T01:18:07  *** arik_ has quit IRC
 26 2019-10-10T01:20:24  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2019-10-10T01:24:07  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 28 2019-10-10T01:32:05  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2019-10-10T01:34:24  *** arik_ has quit IRC
 30 2019-10-10T01:46:32  *** jkczyz has quit IRC
 31 2019-10-10T01:51:39  *** jungly has quit IRC
 32 2019-10-10T01:52:55  *** jungly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2019-10-10T01:56:29  *** Emcy has quit IRC
 34 2019-10-10T02:00:54  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2019-10-10T02:08:13  *** emilengler_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2019-10-10T02:08:52  *** brianhoffman has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-10-10T02:09:58  *** emilengler has quit IRC
 38 2019-10-10T02:15:00  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2019-10-10T02:42:39  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 40 2019-10-10T02:50:36  *** behradkhodayar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2019-10-10T02:50:51  *** berndj has quit IRC
 42 2019-10-10T02:55:15  *** berndj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2019-10-10T02:56:38  *** arik_ has quit IRC
 44 2019-10-10T02:57:45  *** Bullit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 45 2019-10-10T02:59:45  *** Bullit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-10-10T03:00:02  *** HaeB1 has quit IRC
 47 2019-10-10T03:00:16  *** Bullit has quit IRC
 48 2019-10-10T03:00:52  *** Bullit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 49 2019-10-10T03:00:57  *** baldur has quit IRC
 50 2019-10-10T03:08:51  *** jtimon has quit IRC
 51 2019-10-10T03:13:31  *** baldur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2019-10-10T03:18:01  *** voet has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-10-10T03:26:26  *** behradkhodayar has quit IRC
 54 2019-10-10T03:39:17  *** fox2p has quit IRC
 55 2019-10-10T03:39:57  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 56 2019-10-10T03:40:58  *** fox2p has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2019-10-10T03:45:00  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-10-10T04:01:38  *** nosss2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2019-10-10T04:31:56  *** Victor_sueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-10-10T04:34:33  *** Victorsueca has quit IRC
 61 2019-10-10T05:01:50  *** nosss2 has quit IRC
 62 2019-10-10T05:07:10  *** Randolf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2019-10-10T05:08:26  *** zenogais has quit IRC
 64 2019-10-10T05:35:51  *** shesek has quit IRC
 65 2019-10-10T05:36:15  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-10-10T05:41:44  *** Karyon has quit IRC
 67 2019-10-10T05:43:11  *** Karyon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-10-10T05:45:11  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
 69 2019-10-10T05:45:23  *** fox2p_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2019-10-10T05:46:57  *** fox2p has quit IRC
 71 2019-10-10T06:00:02  *** voet has quit IRC
 72 2019-10-10T06:06:37  <kallewoof> I really don't like maintainers closing PRs in author's faces. Specifically https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16681#issuecomment-539694699 -- can we just not do this, ever? I'd rather have 1000 open PRs than this kind of power abuse.
 73 2019-10-10T06:08:02  <kallewoof> If the PR is clearly wrong, that is one thing of course, but closing a PR in the middle of a discussion sends the wrong message.
 74 2019-10-10T06:09:54  <luke-jr> no kidding
 75 2019-10-10T06:10:24  <luke-jr> otoh, the author did say to close it in that example :p
 76 2019-10-10T06:11:07  <luke-jr> also rather annoying stuff I'm actively maintaining gets closed because I'm not basing them on master anymore (because why bother when nobody reviews?)
 77 2019-10-10T06:11:11  <kallewoof> It was a question which, if it ended up being the overall conclusion, would result in him, himself, closing it, I think.
 78 2019-10-10T06:12:19  <kallewoof> luke-jr: I think that's bad too, but I also think we as PR authors need to kind of champion our PRs towards merging more (I myself suck at this)
 79 2019-10-10T06:12:59  <kallewoof> Maintainers closing a PR with no updates for years I can kind of get, but this was a relatively new PR with active discussion from multiple people.
 80 2019-10-10T06:14:00  <luke-jr> I update most of mine regularly - but often just on top of the most recent stable branch.
 81 2019-10-10T06:14:10  <luke-jr> (so always under a year stale)
 82 2019-10-10T06:15:36  <kallewoof> I for one consider a PR unreviewable if it is unmergable into master, but maybe I'm mistaken on that.
 83 2019-10-10T06:16:03  <Randolf> I've noticed this problem with PRs getting closed in the middle of discussions in other projects too.  It's horrible.
 84 2019-10-10T06:16:16  <kallewoof> There's also the fact that PR authors have to convince people to review their PRs. I honestly have no good solution for that one. And your code can be a bit like Matt's... scary and hard to review.
 85 2019-10-10T06:16:36  <Randolf> Perhaps it's a limitation of how GitHub works.
 86 2019-10-10T06:17:46  <kallewoof> Randolf: Why? Maintainers assume authors can't make the judgement call. That's all there is to it, IMO.
 87 2019-10-10T06:18:00  *** ericb2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 88 2019-10-10T06:18:25  *** ericb2 is now known as Guest69975
 89 2019-10-10T06:18:32  *** ajonas has quit IRC
 90 2019-10-10T06:20:19  <Randolf> kallewoof: If a PR is actively being discussed though, then shouldn't it generally be kept open at least for a while?
 91 2019-10-10T06:21:03  <luke-jr> kallewoof: there's been a PR review club thing attempted for a few months. maybe more of us need to get invovled in it
 92 2019-10-10T06:21:15  <luke-jr> Randolf: I think we're all agreement on that
 93 2019-10-10T06:21:27  <kallewoof> ^ Yep
 94 2019-10-10T06:22:11  <kallewoof> luke-jr: Yeah, that is a separate problem (I guess), but definitely. My bitcoin dev time is currently on the low end for a bit, but once I get time back I'll make that effort for sure.
 95 2019-10-10T06:26:48  <cncr04s> whos in charge of what gets committed?
 96 2019-10-10T06:27:54  <cncr04s> or even the direction of what each release is trying to acomplish
 97 2019-10-10T06:28:55  <luke-jr> in theory, nobody; in practice, only stuff with interest from quite a few devs goes anywhere
 98 2019-10-10T06:30:46  <Randolf> That's like a popular vote ... like a democracy.
 99 2019-10-10T06:31:54  <luke-jr> not really
100 2019-10-10T06:32:43  <Randolf> Without the voting part.
101 2019-10-10T06:33:01  <luke-jr> and without the masses being involved
102 2019-10-10T06:36:09  <Randolf> Yeah, a much smaller population in this case.
103 2019-10-10T06:36:35  <Bullit> Oh is the problem that command structure is distributed buying options cause that aint a effect that we can measure
104 2019-10-10T06:37:41  <warren> During tomorrow's IRC meeting I'm bringing up the topic of three possible migration paths for the dev lists.
105 2019-10-10T06:37:57  <warren> 1) Google Groups - Eliminates the maintenance and DoS headache. But people had serious concerns about this option a few years ago due to it being a centralized service. An informal poll of developers early this year indicated most people prefer that it just work and they don't want to think about how. Perhaps people would care less about this now.
106 2019-10-10T06:38:09  <warren> 2) mailman2 hosted by a non-profit known for hosting FOSS projects in the past decades. For sensitivity reasons can't talk details about this as it might blow up the proposal. The non-profit needs community donations generally to continue their good work.
107 2019-10-10T06:39:21  <sipa> warren: i really don't think the bitcoin core project meeting is appropriate for thos
108 2019-10-10T06:39:28  <warren> 3) self-hosted mailman2 - We have offers of donated dedicated servers but that is nowhere near the hard part. If you have tried to properly maintain a MTA you know it requires a fair bit of experience and ongoing effort. When you deliver mail to numerous providers it is far too easy to be induced by an attacker to forward spam and get your IP on blacklists. Other attacks include invalid subscriber flooding and other ways of causing bounce
109 2019-10-10T06:39:28  <warren> floods and resource exhaustion. A properly maintained mail server can mitigate this but you always have to adjust strategies to counter the next abuse method. This option would require an ongoing cost to compensate a professional sysadmin who is intimately familiar with this.
110 2019-10-10T06:39:44  <warren> sipa: how the hell else am I supposed to get people to pay attention?
111 2019-10-10T06:40:15  <warren> We have somebody in mind with experience to do #3 but he acknowledges this is a headache enough that we should really try the #2 or #1 method. I think several of us would prefer that we just moved it to Google Groups where we could probably just forget about DoS and maintenance headaches for the indefinite future.
112 2019-10-10T06:40:18  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3 | Encrypt wallet · Issue #3 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
113 2019-10-10T06:40:19  <Randolf> warren: With Google Groups, are you thinking NNTP or Google's proprietary Groups?  (I know that NNTP can support both moderated and unmoderated newsgroups.)
114 2019-10-10T06:40:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/2 | Long-term, safe, store-of-value · Issue #2 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
115 2019-10-10T06:40:24  <warren> Note: Other list management platforms like groups.io were seen as unacceptable because of how they munge message-id. I *think* Google Groups doesn't do that but we it to be tested.
116 2019-10-10T06:40:24  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1 | JSON-RPC support for mobile devices ("ultra-lightweight" clients) · Issue #1 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
117 2019-10-10T06:40:34  <sipa> warren: well it's a discussion to be had on the ML, not here
118 2019-10-10T06:40:44  <cncr04s> I use mailgun to send emails
119 2019-10-10T06:41:11  <luke-jr> warren: Google has a history of sometimes blocking non-big-company mail servers
120 2019-10-10T06:41:29  <warren> It's *hard* in part because I literally can't talk about some details in public as it may scare away the most ideal host.
121 2019-10-10T06:41:54  <luke-jr> [06:39:44] <warren> sipa: how the hell else am I supposed to get people to pay attention? <-- if posting to the ML doesn't do it, maybe there's no point?
122 2019-10-10T06:43:04  <luke-jr> to rephrase: ML hosting only matters if people are using the ML; in which case, posting to the ML is probably the best way to get the eyes needed
123 2019-10-10T06:43:14  <sipa> exactly
124 2019-10-10T06:43:43  <warren> The developers have made it clear after several opportunities where I've asked for 1) help 2) opinions that they simply just want something that works. But we don't do anything here with a tiny cabal who decides for everyone else. Also we're volunteers too doing a part that other people find necessary but are annoyed to hear about?
125 2019-10-10T06:43:58  <Randolf> warren: I've been doing hosting since about the mid-1990s, running our own mail servers, web servers, etc.  I'd be willing to host mailman3 with PostgreSQL in the back-end.  (I'd need to find out more details from you on requirements, etc.)  (We have IPv4 and IPv6 support.)
126 2019-10-10T06:44:11  <warren> Randolf: mailman3 is unacceptable
127 2019-10-10T06:44:23  <warren> Randolf: we
128 2019-10-10T06:44:25  <warren> we
129 2019-10-10T06:44:29  <warren> grr...
130 2019-10-10T06:44:32  <Randolf> warren: Okay.  I thought you mentioned mailman, but no problem.  I actually don't use mailman anywhere.
131 2019-10-10T06:44:56  <luke-jr> Randolf: mailman2, not 3 ; apparently 3 has serious issues
132 2019-10-10T06:44:58  <warren> you wouldn't know how problematic this stuff is if you haven't spent years trying to use it
133 2019-10-10T06:45:02  <Randolf> Okay.
134 2019-10-10T06:45:09  <Bullit> <gribble> rbitcoin: Visa processes 1,700 transactions per second. The lighting network is capable of processing millions to billions of transactions per second.  <<< Who´s the electrican in AE
135 2019-10-10T06:45:40  <sipa> i know there is a bunch of overlap, but it really feels wrong to discuss or even determine the fate of the mailing list (which is supposed to be an indistry wide forum) in a bitcoin core specific place
136 2019-10-10T06:46:10  <Randolf> warren: Well, I'm familiar with the anti-spam community as I've been involved in that for a very long time (I used to participate in NANAE, but mostly just lurk once in a while now).
137 2019-10-10T06:46:11  <sipa> even if succesful, that's a bery bad outcome
138 2019-10-10T06:46:17  <warren> the only lists that aren't dead are bitcoin-core-dev and lightning-dev
139 2019-10-10T06:46:27  <sipa> what?
140 2019-10-10T06:46:28  <luke-jr> bitcoin-dev you mean
141 2019-10-10T06:46:37  <warren> oh oops ...
142 2019-10-10T06:46:46  <sipa> bitcoin-core-dev has no traffic at all afaik
143 2019-10-10T06:46:58  <luke-jr> well, it has rc announcements
144 2019-10-10T06:46:59  <sipa> as we do everything on github
145 2019-10-10T06:47:07  <sipa> right, that's it
146 2019-10-10T06:47:20  <Bullit> Strange call on this turkish man
147 2019-10-10T06:47:20  <Randolf> warren: If you find that you need hosting for mailman2 (or whatever you need), please know that I'm willing to volunteer.
148 2019-10-10T06:47:41  <sipa> i don't think the question is so much who will maintain it
149 2019-10-10T06:47:48  <sipa> rather what organization will control it
150 2019-10-10T06:48:04  <Randolf> sipa: Having things decentralized is important.
151 2019-10-10T06:48:13  <sipa> Randolf: yes, exactly
152 2019-10-10T06:48:14  <luke-jr> sipa: I think it's actually both :/
153 2019-10-10T06:48:36  <sipa> sure, but i'm sure funds can be found to pay a competent maintainer
154 2019-10-10T06:48:43  <sipa> if necessary
155 2019-10-10T06:48:59  <warren> Randolf: Open Source anti-spam sucking, needing constant hand tuning, and perpetually being poorly maintained in FOSS I have some authority on the matter. I tried and failed to keep spamassassin from being totally dead for a few years. It stressed me out and I gave up ~2012. Other people picked it up after me but this stuff is perpetually under-resourced, and thankless work. anti-spam is also only a small part of the problem.
156 2019-10-10T06:49:42  <luke-jr> since it's moderated anyway, do we even need anti-spam?
157 2019-10-10T06:49:46  <warren> sipa: hence LF agreeing to host it seemed perfect in 2015 because nobody questioned their neutrality.
158 2019-10-10T06:50:00  <luke-jr> worst case something gets through the antispam to the mods who reject it
159 2019-10-10T06:50:11  <sipa> but imho either we find a neutral third party to run it (like lf!), or we'll have to pick some big centralized company
160 2019-10-10T06:50:14  <warren> luke-jr: not even the largest problem, when the rest of it is poorly maintained it goes haywire.
161 2019-10-10T06:50:29  <Randolf> warren: Yeah, I'm familiar with that.  It's a bit of an art and a science to keep anti-spam stuff working well for clients, blocking the junk without flagging legitimate stuff.  Spammers suck.
162 2019-10-10T06:50:35  <sipa> even the answer of "we run our self hsoted instance" runs into the question of firdt defining who "we" is
163 2019-10-10T06:51:02  <warren> LF doesn't want to do list hosting at all anymore, they were willing to pay to outsource our lists to groups.io (which we found to be technically unacceptable, we're not the only dev lists who refused to move there)
164 2019-10-10T06:51:20  <warren> The other orgs however are uncontroversial and do not attract DoS attacks
165 2019-10-10T06:51:55  <warren> LF asked us to migrate 2 years ago, they will eventually kick us off
166 2019-10-10T06:53:44  <warren> I've since learned from that sysadmin that mailman2 doesn't suck nearly as much as I've been lead to believe. fdo and a few others maintain modern versions and with a non-upstreamable CAPTCHA it stops one of the crippling attacks that knocked LF's mailman offline for weeks.
167 2019-10-10T06:54:32  *** Karyon has quit IRC
168 2019-10-10T06:55:12  <sipa> warren: well, i really think this discussion should move to the list
169 2019-10-10T06:55:20  <sipa> i promise to respond with my thoughts
170 2019-10-10T06:55:52  <warren> OK, I'm meeting kanzure tomorrow or Friday-ish to write all this down together. I'm taking time off "work" to focus on this.
171 2019-10-10T06:56:39  <warren> sorry for expression my frustration here.
172 2019-10-10T06:56:43  <sipa> warren: also, you should not feel bad aboit sending a "this is what i've tried, but i've been unable to find an acceptable solution, i want to work on other things" response
173 2019-10-10T06:56:57  <luke-jr> looks like mailman2 had an upstream release a year ago
174 2019-10-10T06:57:22  *** Victor_sueca has quit IRC
175 2019-10-10T06:57:37  <Randolf> How much volume does the current setup of the mailing lists get?
176 2019-10-10T06:58:42  <warren> Not much. It's mostly attacks that succeeded in knocking the servers offline with swap storms and the OOM killer mainly because they stopped trying to maintain their list server.
177 2019-10-10T06:58:59  <warren> They "fixed" it early 2019 by blackholing all bounces.
178 2019-10-10T06:59:47  <warren> That means the server is incapable of deliverying mail to several large providers who perma-banned the IP.
179 2019-10-10T07:00:34  <warren> My information is likely incomplete because it's only bits and pieces they told me. They clearly don't want to deal with this anymore.
180 2019-10-10T07:00:42  *** astro has quit IRC
181 2019-10-10T07:00:56  *** Karyon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-10-10T07:01:02  <Randolf> The old block-and-forget routine.  It can be worse than being listed in SPEWS (while it was still running).
183 2019-10-10T07:02:16  <warren> I'm sleeping. I am again mentioning that there exists a temporary channel if people want to discuss, give opinions or help test stuff for the list migration. Ask me in PM for an invite if you are interested.
184 2019-10-10T07:03:36  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-10-10T07:03:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/bc7e721d97dc...b265ffe32371
186 2019-10-10T07:03:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f33efa8 Luke Dashjr: GUI: Restore RPC Console to non-wallet tray icon menu
187 2019-10-10T07:03:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b265ffe Jonas Schnelli: Merge #15023: GUI: Restore RPC Console to non-wallet tray icon menu
188 2019-10-10T07:03:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2019-10-10T07:03:40  *** promag_ has quit IRC
190 2019-10-10T07:04:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2019-10-10T07:04:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b265ffe32371...5cb1d938a1c9
192 2019-10-10T07:04:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 091747b João Barbosa: gui: Add shortcuts for tab tools
193 2019-10-10T07:04:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5cb1d93 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #15756: gui: Add shortcuts for tab tools
194 2019-10-10T07:04:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2019-10-10T07:04:30  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2019-10-10T07:04:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #15023: GUI: Restore RPC Console to non-wallet tray icon menu (master...gui_node_rpcconsole) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15023
197 2019-10-10T07:04:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2019-10-10T07:04:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2019-10-10T07:04:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #15756: gui: Add shortcuts for tab tools (master...2019-04-tools-shortcuts) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15756
200 2019-10-10T07:04:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
201 2019-10-10T07:16:01  *** astro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2019-10-10T07:21:26  *** Victorsueca has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
203 2019-10-10T07:21:32  *** Zero-1729 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2019-10-10T07:22:53  *** Zero-1729 has quit IRC
205 2019-10-10T07:38:25  *** b10c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-10-10T07:38:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
207 2019-10-10T07:38:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #17093: tests: Add fuzzing harness for various CTx{In,Out} related functions (master...fuzzers-txin-txout) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17093
208 2019-10-10T07:38:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-10-10T07:43:04  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-10-10T07:51:12  *** SiAnDoG has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2019-10-10T07:55:57  <wumpus> if something isn't going to be merged, maintainers are completely in their right to close a PR, if anything keeping it open gives the author false hope
212 2019-10-10T07:56:26  <wumpus> for better or worse it's the maintainers that need to make that kind of decisions sometimes
213 2019-10-10T07:57:20  <wumpus> if you'd rather have 1000 PRs open, that's up to you in your own project but it's not how bitcoin core is run, we try to actively keep track of open PRs
214 2019-10-10T07:58:25  <wumpus> that's not specifically about #16681, btw, you're free to disagree with a specific decision, but IMO we're not going to change our github way of working because of it
215 2019-10-10T07:58:27  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16681 | Tests: Use self.chain instead of regtest in all current tests by jtimon · Pull Request #16681 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
216 2019-10-10T08:01:37  <wumpus> warren: for what it's worth, I still prefer a discourse forum to any kind of mailing list, tbh, and it can be self-hosted too
217 2019-10-10T08:01:51  <wumpus> google groups is terrible
218 2019-10-10T08:06:54  *** TheRec has quit IRC
219 2019-10-10T08:06:56  <wumpus> bitcoin-core-dev is just an announcement list, we could do without it, there are plenty of other ways to announce RCs and versions (we used to have a "sendy" instance for announcements and that broke, too, mail is just awful nowadays)
220 2019-10-10T08:13:11  <kallewoof> wumpus: I 100% agree with you. The only problem here is that the maintainer has no way of knowing whether something is or isn't going to get merged. Unless the maintainer decides, in which case the maintainer owns bitcoin core and we can all just go home now.
221 2019-10-10T08:14:02  <wumpus> it's a lot more subtle than that, and I'd agree with you in case of consensus changes and such
222 2019-10-10T08:14:25  <wumpus> but MarcoFalke is tests maintainer, for better or worse he has the last vote what goes into the test framework
223 2019-10-10T08:15:33  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2019-10-10T08:16:36  <kallewoof> wumpus: side question, but where is this information to be found? (who maintains what, I mean)
225 2019-10-10T08:17:04  <wumpus> I think there needs to be some kind of direction in those things, to make progress, and that also means they can make mistakes, and you're free to disagree with them and start a discussion like this, but I don't like the way you do this now
226 2019-10-10T08:17:22  <wumpus> like generalize immediately
227 2019-10-10T08:18:18  <kallewoof> this has been on my mind for some time, but maybe you're right that I'm overgeneralizing. Apologies.
228 2019-10-10T08:18:32  <wumpus> kallewoof: currently nowhere, would be useful to have a CODEOWNERS fiel https://github.blog/2017-07-06-introducing-code-owners/
229 2019-10-10T08:19:11  <kallewoof> Ooo... didn't know that feature existed. Neat.
230 2019-10-10T08:26:10  *** laptop500 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2019-10-10T08:27:38  *** laptop500 has quit IRC
232 2019-10-10T08:34:31  *** face has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2019-10-10T08:39:11  <wumpus> kallewoof: anyhow if #16681 matters to you and you want to see it merged, just pitch in there directly
234 2019-10-10T08:39:12  <jonatack> kallewoof: IIRC the maintainer roles were mentioned in one of the core.dev transcripts from last June, though from observing interaction in the repository the roles seem fairly clear
235 2019-10-10T08:39:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16681 | Tests: Use self.chain instead of regtest in all current tests by jtimon · Pull Request #16681 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
236 2019-10-10T08:40:32  <wumpus> people haven't done that, it seems everyone is a bit ~0 about it (or slightly against it), no one is super enthousiatic about the change yet, which might be enough to get it merged anyway
237 2019-10-10T08:40:50  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2019-10-10T08:40:50  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2019-10-10T08:40:54  <wumpus> that's, constructive at least
240 2019-10-10T08:43:56  *** setpill has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2019-10-10T08:49:09  *** jonatack has quit IRC
242 2019-10-10T09:00:02  *** Guest69975 has quit IRC
243 2019-10-10T09:00:25  <Bullit> My mailclient is Thunderbird
244 2019-10-10T09:00:41  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2019-10-10T09:04:20  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-10-10T09:05:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
247 2019-10-10T09:05:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #17094: doc: Add CODEOWNERS file (master...2019_10_codeowners) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17094
248 2019-10-10T09:05:43  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2019-10-10T09:05:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
250 2019-10-10T09:08:17  *** promag_ has quit IRC
251 2019-10-10T09:15:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
252 2019-10-10T09:15:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] darosior closed pull request #15346: cli: encryptwallet password entered from stdin. fixes #15318 (master...cli_encryptwallet_stdin) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15346
253 2019-10-10T09:15:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2019-10-10T09:17:45  *** srimech1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-10-10T09:18:12  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2019-10-10T09:22:37  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2019-10-10T09:46:46  *** promag has quit IRC
258 2019-10-10T09:48:37  *** jdmark has quit IRC
259 2019-10-10T09:52:45  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
260 2019-10-10T10:01:40  *** promag has quit IRC
261 2019-10-10T10:29:04  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2019-10-10T10:36:23  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2019-10-10T10:41:48  *** jb55 has quit IRC
264 2019-10-10T10:44:57  *** jdmark_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-10-10T10:47:29  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2019-10-10T10:50:00  *** jdmark_ is now known as jdmark
267 2019-10-10T10:50:47  *** jdmark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2019-10-10T10:51:51  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-10-10T10:52:59  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
270 2019-10-10T10:54:30  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2019-10-10T10:56:08  *** jdmark has quit IRC
272 2019-10-10T10:58:50  *** ghost43_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-10-10T10:59:02  *** arubi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
274 2019-10-10T10:59:23  *** sipa_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-10-10T10:59:52  *** SiAnDoG_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2019-10-10T11:00:11  *** afk11 has quit IRC
277 2019-10-10T11:00:31  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
278 2019-10-10T11:00:52  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2019-10-10T11:01:07  *** sipa has quit IRC
280 2019-10-10T11:01:22  *** mryandao_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2019-10-10T11:01:52  *** morcos has quit IRC
282 2019-10-10T11:02:20  *** SiAnDoG has quit IRC
283 2019-10-10T11:02:20  *** mryandao has quit IRC
284 2019-10-10T11:02:48  *** arubi_ has quit IRC
285 2019-10-10T11:04:43  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-10-10T11:06:41  *** jdmark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
287 2019-10-10T11:06:43  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2019-10-10T11:09:08  *** spinza has quit IRC
289 2019-10-10T11:10:28  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-10-10T11:10:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5cb1d938a1c9...b67ca4ee73d1
291 2019-10-10T11:10:29  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master facb9a1 Wladimir J. van der Laan: init: Change fallback locale to C.UTF-8
292 2019-10-10T11:10:30  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b67ca4e Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #17085: init: Change fallback locale to C.UTF-8
293 2019-10-10T11:10:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2019-10-10T11:10:48  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2019-10-10T11:10:48  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #17085: init: Change fallback locale to C.UTF-8 (master...2019_10_utf8_fallback) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17085
296 2019-10-10T11:10:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2019-10-10T11:17:36  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2019-10-10T11:17:39  *** jdmark has quit IRC
299 2019-10-10T11:18:17  *** srimech1 has quit IRC
300 2019-10-10T11:18:24  *** coinmonks has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2019-10-10T11:18:57  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
302 2019-10-10T11:19:10  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2019-10-10T11:24:24  *** jdmark has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
304 2019-10-10T11:27:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
305 2019-10-10T11:27:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #17095: util: Filter control characters out of log messages (master...2019_10_log_control_chars) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17095
306 2019-10-10T11:27:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
307 2019-10-10T11:41:36  <luke-jr> wumpus: is there a reason to not have spaces on both sides of the colon for a item for-loop
308 2019-10-10T11:41:37  <luke-jr> ?
309 2019-10-10T11:44:38  *** Kater1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
310 2019-10-10T11:44:44  <wumpus> is there a reason to? I don't care, if people prefer that I'll do that
311 2019-10-10T11:47:33  <luke-jr> dunno, just noticed the difference
312 2019-10-10T11:50:21  *** braydonf has quit IRC
313 2019-10-10T11:50:21  *** lowentropy has quit IRC
314 2019-10-10T11:50:39  *** lowentropy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2019-10-10T11:50:44  *** braydonf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2019-10-10T11:51:19  *** promag has quit IRC
317 2019-10-10T11:58:23  <kanzure> one argument in favor of keeping a maintained mailing list is that there's tens of thousands of subscribers and many of them rely on this for critical security announcements
318 2019-10-10T11:58:38  <kanzure> anyway, meeting with warren in person soon to see why he wanted to meet
319 2019-10-10T12:00:02  *** Kater1 has quit IRC
320 2019-10-10T12:09:20  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2019-10-10T12:10:15  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
322 2019-10-10T12:11:38  *** masterdonx2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2019-10-10T12:11:45  *** coinmonks has quit IRC
324 2019-10-10T12:12:12  <wumpus> that needs an announcements list, not so much a mailing list
325 2019-10-10T12:12:27  *** MasterdonX has quit IRC
326 2019-10-10T12:12:39  <wumpus> (e.g. something like sendy or mailgun or whatever would work too)
327 2019-10-10T12:12:48  *** goatpig has quit IRC
328 2019-10-10T12:13:41  *** promag has quit IRC
329 2019-10-10T12:15:47  *** ka6sox1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2019-10-10T12:45:09  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
331 2019-10-10T12:51:09  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2019-10-10T12:56:30  *** sipa_ has quit IRC
333 2019-10-10T12:56:53  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2019-10-10T13:01:38  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2019-10-10T13:02:37  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
336 2019-10-10T13:02:37  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
337 2019-10-10T13:20:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
338 2019-10-10T13:20:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b67ca4ee73d1...2352aec9fc82
339 2019-10-10T13:20:36  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0a57368 practicalswift: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CheckTransaction(...), IsStandardTx(...) an...
340 2019-10-10T13:20:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5c29876 practicalswift: tests: Remove TRANSACTION_DESERIALIZE (replaced by transaction fuzzer)
341 2019-10-10T13:20:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2352aec MarcoFalke: Merge #17076: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CheckTransaction(...), IsStan...
342 2019-10-10T13:20:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
343 2019-10-10T13:20:40  *** rockhouse has quit IRC
344 2019-10-10T13:20:40  *** victorSN has quit IRC
345 2019-10-10T13:20:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
346 2019-10-10T13:20:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17076: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CheckTransaction(...), IsStandardTx(...) and other CTransaction related functions (master...fuzzers-transaction) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17076
347 2019-10-10T13:20:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
348 2019-10-10T13:21:40  *** rockhouse has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2019-10-10T13:28:03  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2019-10-10T13:29:02  *** victorSN has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
351 2019-10-10T13:29:09  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
352 2019-10-10T13:32:04  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
353 2019-10-10T13:32:27  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
354 2019-10-10T13:33:08  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2019-10-10T13:33:09  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Zero-1729 opened pull request #17096: gui: rename debug window (master...rename-debug-window) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17096
356 2019-10-10T13:33:09  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
357 2019-10-10T13:37:40  *** TheRec has quit IRC
358 2019-10-10T13:37:49  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2019-10-10T13:37:56  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2019-10-10T13:40:20  *** TheRec has quit IRC
361 2019-10-10T13:40:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
362 2019-10-10T13:40:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
363 2019-10-10T13:42:19  *** TheRec has quit IRC
364 2019-10-10T13:42:51  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
365 2019-10-10T13:43:22  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2019-10-10T13:43:23  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
367 2019-10-10T13:43:26  *** ghost43_ is now known as ghost43
368 2019-10-10T13:45:31  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
369 2019-10-10T13:46:09  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
370 2019-10-10T13:48:21  *** TheRec has quit IRC
371 2019-10-10T13:48:44  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
372 2019-10-10T14:01:08  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
373 2019-10-10T14:01:08  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2019-10-10T14:06:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2019-10-10T14:06:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2352aec9fc82...2a0164085b00
376 2019-10-10T14:06:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3530108 Antoine Riard: MOVEONLY : move RPC wallets helpers to TransactionDescriptionString
377 2019-10-10T14:06:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f4c8953 Antoine Riard: Add missing fields in TransactionDescriptionString and others
378 2019-10-10T14:06:44  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2a01640 MarcoFalke: Merge #16689: rpc: add missing fields to wallet rpc help output
379 2019-10-10T14:06:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
380 2019-10-10T14:07:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
381 2019-10-10T14:07:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16689: rpc: add missing fields to wallet rpc help output (master...2019-08-missing-fields-rpcs-help) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16689
382 2019-10-10T14:07:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
383 2019-10-10T14:10:20  *** ajonas has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
384 2019-10-10T14:19:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
385 2019-10-10T14:19:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #17089: ci: Add test env for riscv (master...1909-ciRiscV) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17089
386 2019-10-10T14:19:28  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
387 2019-10-10T14:23:16  *** emilengler_ is now known as emilengler
388 2019-10-10T14:25:07  *** nosss2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
389 2019-10-10T14:25:10  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
390 2019-10-10T14:33:26  *** jonatack has quit IRC
391 2019-10-10T14:34:07  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
392 2019-10-10T14:38:10  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
393 2019-10-10T14:39:54  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
394 2019-10-10T14:43:49  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
395 2019-10-10T14:47:45  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
396 2019-10-10T14:49:36  *** promag has quit IRC
397 2019-10-10T14:52:00  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
398 2019-10-10T14:52:00  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #17097: build: Add README.md to DIST target (master...1909-buildDocDist) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17097
399 2019-10-10T14:52:01  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
400 2019-10-10T14:54:43  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
401 2019-10-10T14:57:57  *** face has quit IRC
402 2019-10-10T14:59:25  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
403 2019-10-10T15:00:02  *** ka6sox1 has quit IRC
404 2019-10-10T15:00:10  *** face has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
405 2019-10-10T15:04:10  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
406 2019-10-10T15:05:15  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
407 2019-10-10T15:11:32  *** promag has quit IRC
408 2019-10-10T15:12:30  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
409 2019-10-10T15:16:12  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
410 2019-10-10T15:17:24  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
411 2019-10-10T15:18:02  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
412 2019-10-10T15:18:11  *** DASPRiD1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
413 2019-10-10T15:19:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
414 2019-10-10T15:25:49  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
415 2019-10-10T15:31:00  *** Randolf has quit IRC
416 2019-10-10T15:41:17  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
417 2019-10-10T15:42:59  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
418 2019-10-10T15:43:01  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
419 2019-10-10T15:46:06  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
420 2019-10-10T15:47:39  *** roconnor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
421 2019-10-10T15:50:44  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
422 2019-10-10T15:53:46  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
423 2019-10-10T15:57:22  *** newbieprogrammer has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
424 2019-10-10T15:58:35  *** lightlike has quit IRC
425 2019-10-10T16:03:16  *** newbieprogrammer has left #bitcoin-core-dev
426 2019-10-10T16:05:50  *** promag has quit IRC
427 2019-10-10T16:06:50  *** pinheadmz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
428 2019-10-10T16:08:25  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
429 2019-10-10T16:09:06  *** morcos has quit IRC
430 2019-10-10T16:09:19  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
431 2019-10-10T16:09:25  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
432 2019-10-10T16:09:26  *** pinheadmz_ is now known as pinheadmz
433 2019-10-10T16:11:39  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
434 2019-10-10T16:14:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
435 2019-10-10T16:14:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2a0164085b00...59f0687fea26
436 2019-10-10T16:14:55  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a57a1d4 Sebastian Falbesoner: test: add unit test for wallet watch-only methods involving PubKeys
437 2019-10-10T16:14:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 59f0687 MarcoFalke: Merge #16786: test: add unit test for wallet watch-only methods involving ...
438 2019-10-10T16:15:05  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
439 2019-10-10T16:15:24  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
440 2019-10-10T16:15:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16786: test: add unit test for wallet watch-only methods involving PubKeys (master...add_wallet_watchpubkey_unit_test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16786
441 2019-10-10T16:15:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
442 2019-10-10T16:16:58  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
443 2019-10-10T16:18:35  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
444 2019-10-10T16:21:40  <warren> wumpus: regarding discourse vs mailing list, I'm happy that anyone expressed an opinion at all!
445 2019-10-10T16:23:57  *** setpill has quit IRC
446 2019-10-10T16:23:59  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
447 2019-10-10T16:24:36  *** roconnor_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
448 2019-10-10T16:24:37  *** roconnor has quit IRC
449 2019-10-10T16:29:07  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
450 2019-10-10T16:29:09  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
451 2019-10-10T16:29:09  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] adamjonas opened pull request #17098: refactor: Feebumper EstimateFeeRate (master...16727-follow-up) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17098
452 2019-10-10T16:29:19  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
453 2019-10-10T16:30:26  *** pyericz has quit IRC
454 2019-10-10T16:30:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
455 2019-10-10T16:30:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #17099: depends: Eliminate hard dependency on Ubuntu-ABI specific clang (master...2019-09-no-clang-download) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17099
456 2019-10-10T16:30:40  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
457 2019-10-10T16:35:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
458 2019-10-10T16:35:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/59f0687fea26...befdef8aee89
459 2019-10-10T16:35:07  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 230d43f Pieter Wuille: Abstract out some of the descriptor Span-parsing helpers
460 2019-10-10T16:35:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5e69aee Pieter Wuille: Add documenting comments to spanparsing.h
461 2019-10-10T16:35:08  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master bb36372 Sebastian Falbesoner: test: add unit tests for Span-parsing helpers
462 2019-10-10T16:35:10  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
463 2019-10-10T16:35:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
464 2019-10-10T16:35:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16887: Abstract out some of the descriptor Span-parsing helpers (master...201909_spanparsing) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16887
465 2019-10-10T16:35:28  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
466 2019-10-10T16:39:21  *** seeder has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
467 2019-10-10T16:47:02  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
468 2019-10-10T16:47:46  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
469 2019-10-10T16:50:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
470 2019-10-10T16:50:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] praveenkumar141 opened pull request #17100: Update README.md (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17100
471 2019-10-10T16:51:05  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
472 2019-10-10T16:52:04  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
473 2019-10-10T16:52:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #17100: Update README.md (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17100
474 2019-10-10T16:52:15  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
475 2019-10-10T16:52:20  <fanquake> wumpus / sipa can you ban praveenkumar141 from the repo.
476 2019-10-10T16:53:57  <sipa> sure; what did he do?
477 2019-10-10T16:54:07  <sipa> ah, i just get the email
478 2019-10-10T16:55:05  <sipa> done
479 2019-10-10T16:56:30  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
480 2019-10-10T17:00:30  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
481 2019-10-10T17:00:37  *** promag has quit IRC
482 2019-10-10T17:03:57  *** roconnor_ has quit IRC
483 2019-10-10T17:04:44  *** masterdonx2 has quit IRC
484 2019-10-10T17:05:30  <fanquake> Thanks
485 2019-10-10T17:05:34  *** MasterdonX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
486 2019-10-10T17:07:47  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
487 2019-10-10T17:07:58  *** face has quit IRC
488 2019-10-10T17:17:30  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
489 2019-10-10T17:21:24  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
490 2019-10-10T17:21:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
491 2019-10-10T17:21:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/befdef8aee89...d5a770b70d55
492 2019-10-10T17:21:30  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d478a47 Martin Zumsande: test: Fix combine_logs.py for AppVeyor build
493 2019-10-10T17:21:30  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d5a770b MarcoFalke: Merge #16973: test: Fix combine_logs.py for AppVeyor build
494 2019-10-10T17:21:30  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
495 2019-10-10T17:21:40  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
496 2019-10-10T17:21:59  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2019-10-10T17:21:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16973: test: Fix combine_logs.py for AppVeyor build (master...201909_test_pathsep) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16973
498 2019-10-10T17:22:01  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
499 2019-10-10T17:24:30  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
500 2019-10-10T17:26:03  *** Emcy has quit IRC
501 2019-10-10T17:26:14  *** promag has quit IRC
502 2019-10-10T17:26:17  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
503 2019-10-10T17:28:29  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
504 2019-10-10T17:32:21  *** advac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
505 2019-10-10T17:33:19  *** advac has quit IRC
506 2019-10-10T17:33:56  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
507 2019-10-10T17:34:08  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
508 2019-10-10T17:41:33  *** profmac has quit IRC
509 2019-10-10T17:43:51  *** timothy has quit IRC
510 2019-10-10T17:44:14  *** profmac has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
511 2019-10-10T17:47:27  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
512 2019-10-10T17:47:36  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
513 2019-10-10T17:47:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #17101: test PR (master...residency_test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17101
514 2019-10-10T17:47:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
515 2019-10-10T17:49:06  *** fox2p has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
516 2019-10-10T17:50:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
517 2019-10-10T17:50:17  *** fox2p_ has quit IRC
518 2019-10-10T17:53:32  *** votesmith has quit IRC
519 2019-10-10T17:55:18  <MarcoFalke> kallewoof: Just saw your complaint that me closing https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16681#issuecomment-539694699 was a "power move"
520 2019-10-10T17:55:46  <MarcoFalke> I disagree. Usually I don't close pull requests unless they are obvioulsy never going to get merged
521 2019-10-10T17:56:35  <MarcoFalke> If I think a pull request should be closed, I state my reasons for doing so and wait for the author to close it or agree it can be closed
522 2019-10-10T17:56:55  <MarcoFalke> In this case jtimon's response was "In that case, I guess we should close this."
523 2019-10-10T17:57:15  <MarcoFalke> Which I read as permission to close the pull request
524 2019-10-10T17:57:36  <MarcoFalke> Let me know if there is anything I did wrong or should improve
525 2019-10-10T17:57:36  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
526 2019-10-10T17:57:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery closed pull request #17101: test PR (master...residency_test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17101
527 2019-10-10T17:57:37  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
528 2019-10-10T17:57:41  *** roconnor_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
529 2019-10-10T18:00:01  *** DASPRiD1 has quit IRC
530 2019-10-10T18:02:20  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
531 2019-10-10T18:03:20  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
532 2019-10-10T18:07:38  *** votesmith has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
533 2019-10-10T18:08:09  *** MasterdonX has quit IRC
534 2019-10-10T18:09:54  *** MasterdonX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
535 2019-10-10T18:10:28  *** Alejoss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
536 2019-10-10T18:17:33  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
537 2019-10-10T18:18:27  *** Ahmuck has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
538 2019-10-10T18:18:37  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
539 2019-10-10T18:20:10  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2019-10-10T18:21:02  *** pinheadmz_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
541 2019-10-10T18:24:00  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
542 2019-10-10T18:24:00  *** pinheadmz_ is now known as pinheadmz
543 2019-10-10T18:26:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
544 2019-10-10T18:26:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift reopened pull request #16136: Add an optional extra level of checking: DCHECK(...) - an opt-in side-effect safe assert(...) (master...check) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16136
545 2019-10-10T18:26:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
546 2019-10-10T18:28:00  *** Skirmant has quit IRC
547 2019-10-10T18:28:04  *** Alejoss has quit IRC
548 2019-10-10T18:30:26  <jtimon> MarcoFalke: I think it was as misanderstanding. By "in that case" I meant "in case those reasons aren't good enough", which I thought it was obvious I disagreed with.
549 2019-10-10T18:30:27  <jtimon> I don't think that is the case, I think those reasons are good enoug. What I mean if that those reasons don't convince other people, we can close it.
550 2019-10-10T18:30:27  <jtimon> In any case, if more people agree with my reasons, the best place to say is probably the PR itself
551 2019-10-10T18:32:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
552 2019-10-10T18:32:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke reopened pull request #16681: Tests: Use self.chain instead of 'regtest' in all current tests (master...b19-testchains-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16681
553 2019-10-10T18:32:51  <MarcoFalke> Ok, reopened it
554 2019-10-10T18:32:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
555 2019-10-10T18:33:52  <jtimon> thanks
556 2019-10-10T18:45:03  <elichai2> wow :/
557 2019-10-10T18:45:12  <elichai2> ops, sorry
558 2019-10-10T18:47:07  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
559 2019-10-10T18:48:45  *** Skirmant has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2019-10-10T18:50:22  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
561 2019-10-10T18:54:03  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2019-10-10T18:55:27  *** arik_ has quit IRC
563 2019-10-10T18:56:03  *** mmgen has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
564 2019-10-10T18:57:07  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
565 2019-10-10T18:57:22  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
566 2019-10-10T18:59:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
567 2019-10-10T19:00:10  <sipa> meetung?
568 2019-10-10T19:00:21  <achow101> meeting?
569 2019-10-10T19:00:22  <wumpus> #startmeeting
570 2019-10-10T19:00:22  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct 10 19:00:22 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
571 2019-10-10T19:00:22  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
572 2019-10-10T19:00:25  <kanzure> hi
573 2019-10-10T19:00:37  *** roconnor_ has quit IRC
574 2019-10-10T19:00:39  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral
575 2019-10-10T19:00:44  <promag> hello
576 2019-10-10T19:00:47  <gleb> hi
577 2019-10-10T19:00:48  <jonatack> hi
578 2019-10-10T19:01:05  <fanquake> hi
579 2019-10-10T19:01:09  <sipa> hi
580 2019-10-10T19:01:12  <elichai2> hi
581 2019-10-10T19:01:21  <provoostenator> hi
582 2019-10-10T19:01:29  <meshcollider> hi
583 2019-10-10T19:01:44  <wumpus> has anyone been testing 0.19.0rc1? any issues found?
584 2019-10-10T19:02:01  <fanquake> Limited testing so far. Nothing obvious has cropped up.
585 2019-10-10T19:02:04  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
586 2019-10-10T19:02:05  <MarcoFalke> hoy
587 2019-10-10T19:02:08  <fanquake> Will do more over the weekend.
588 2019-10-10T19:02:28  <jonasschnelli> hi
589 2019-10-10T19:02:30  <wumpus> same, no problems here
590 2019-10-10T19:02:34  <achow101> hi
591 2019-10-10T19:02:52  <MarcoFalke> Would be surprised if this was the first major release without bugs xD
592 2019-10-10T19:02:52  * jonasschnelli running 0.19.0rc1
593 2019-10-10T19:03:08  <wumpus> we should definitely give it some more time :)
594 2019-10-10T19:03:56  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
595 2019-10-10T19:04:03  <real_or_random> hi
596 2019-10-10T19:04:07  <promag> spinning as usual
597 2019-10-10T19:04:20  <wumpus> we have one proposed topic: #16834 (BlueMatt)
598 2019-10-10T19:04:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16834 | Fetch Headers over DNS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #16834 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
599 2019-10-10T19:04:27  <fanquake> A couple PRs to pull in at some point as well. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22Needs+backport+%280.19%29%22
600 2019-10-10T19:04:28  *** belcher has quit IRC
601 2019-10-10T19:04:30  <BlueMatt> yea, I need to find some time to switch my seed nodes to 190rc1
602 2019-10-10T19:04:41  <BlueMatt> will do this coming week
603 2019-10-10T19:04:50  <wumpus> but we'll start with high priority for review again
604 2019-10-10T19:04:55  *** jkczyz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
605 2019-10-10T19:04:57  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
606 2019-10-10T19:05:20  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8  only three blockers on the list right now
607 2019-10-10T19:05:39  <fanquake> #16202 Had quite a few ACKs, however needs a rebase jonasschnelli
608 2019-10-10T19:05:41  <wumpus> #16202 is close to merge?
609 2019-10-10T19:05:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16202 | Refactor network message deserialization by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #16202 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
610 2019-10-10T19:05:44  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16202 | Refactor network message deserialization by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #16202 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
611 2019-10-10T19:05:58  <jonasschnelli> Oh. Let me rebase then
612 2019-10-10T19:06:05  <MarcoFalke> I'd like to put up #16490
613 2019-10-10T19:06:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16490 | rpc: Report reason for replaceable txpool transactions by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16490 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
614 2019-10-10T19:06:32  <dongcarl> I think most of the comments in #16202 expand on the scope, and should be followups. They're all ACKs otherwise
615 2019-10-10T19:06:34  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16202 | Refactor network message deserialization by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #16202 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
616 2019-10-10T19:07:03  <jnewbery> hi
617 2019-10-10T19:07:07  <MarcoFalke> I removed the "Bugs in 0.19 are blockers" card in high prio
618 2019-10-10T19:07:18  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: added
619 2019-10-10T19:07:22  <MarcoFalke> thx
620 2019-10-10T19:07:59  <provoostenator> I'd like to nominate #16944, pretty close anyway...
621 2019-10-10T19:08:01  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16944 | gui: create PSBT with watch-only wallet by Sjors · Pull Request #16944 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
622 2019-10-10T19:08:20  <wumpus> dongcarl: right, especially so early in the release window it's better to merge, then expanding the scope in follow-ups, it allows for better cooporation
623 2019-10-10T19:09:20  <wumpus> provoostenator: ok added
624 2019-10-10T19:09:43  <jonasschnelli> my only worry is, that with 16944 the GUI gets even more complicated
625 2019-10-10T19:09:52  <fanquake> ^
626 2019-10-10T19:09:57  <jonasschnelli> But maybe okay for watch-only expertish setups
627 2019-10-10T19:10:08  <wumpus> #topic gui: create PSBT with watch-only wallet
628 2019-10-10T19:10:19  <jonasschnelli> but I need to take a closer look at 16944 before I further complain
629 2019-10-10T19:11:20  <provoostenator> jonasschnelli: it's going to get more complicated if we ever add full hardware support
630 2019-10-10T19:11:31  <provoostenator> See also: #16966
631 2019-10-10T19:11:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16966 | ui: make send a wizard by Sjors · Pull Request #16966 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
632 2019-10-10T19:12:08  <provoostenator> That wizard PR should make it easier to add more stuff, because we're not squeezing a million things in one dialog.
633 2019-10-10T19:12:12  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2019-10-10T19:13:02  <wumpus> yes
635 2019-10-10T19:13:17  <promag> yup
636 2019-10-10T19:13:37  <fanquake> provoostenator: how does what your doing aling/conflict with what the HWI project is doing GUI wise?
637 2019-10-10T19:13:42  <fanquake> *align
638 2019-10-10T19:13:56  <fanquake> I've seen discussions on their repo about adding some sort of GUI.
639 2019-10-10T19:14:14  <provoostenator> It's the reverse approach, it can co-exist
640 2019-10-10T19:14:47  <jonasschnelli> however, the function itself (PSBT creation in watch-only mode) is certainly a strong concept ack,... just need to watch out for the UX
641 2019-10-10T19:14:50  <achow101> The idea is to have some gui for HWI where users can paste the psbt from 16944 instead of having to go to the command line
642 2019-10-10T19:15:19  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
643 2019-10-10T19:16:02  <provoostenator> In the longer run I'd rather not force users to have 2 GUIs to deal with, but in the short run an HWI GUI is easier.
644 2019-10-10T19:17:11  <jonasschnelli> I totally get the use case... just copy pasting from one UI to another is not a UX users appreciate in general. However, I'm not saying this is how it could be done initially
645 2019-10-10T19:17:21  <fanquake> At a high level, not necessarily in regards to this PR, I'm hesitant to add more & more flows/functionality to Cores GUI. However I'll present my thoughts another time.
646 2019-10-10T19:17:29  <provoostenator> I plan to build a hardware wallet GUI on top of the wizard above.
647 2019-10-10T19:17:50  <provoostenator> As well as some options to the create wallet dialog.
648 2019-10-10T19:18:15  <jonasschnelli> I think that would be great. Thanks provoostenator
649 2019-10-10T19:18:47  <achow101> yeah, the two gui things is just a stop-gap measure, just like how the importmulti thing was a stop-gap
650 2019-10-10T19:19:22  <fanquake> Should we move on? bluematt & DNS & Rust ?
651 2019-10-10T19:19:40  <wumpus> right, got to have it working first, then think about streamlining it
652 2019-10-10T19:19:40  <elichai2> :)
653 2019-10-10T19:20:11  <fanquake> Has also been some good Rust related discussion in #17090 so far.
654 2019-10-10T19:20:13  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17090 | RFC: Rust code integration · Issue #17090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
655 2019-10-10T19:20:17  <wumpus> #topic Fetch Headers over DNS (BlueMatt)
656 2019-10-10T19:20:19  <BlueMatt> so #17090 is where the high-level discussion has moved, and there's good comments there to read, but, at a high level, I want to move forward with (in 0.20, off by default, with a goal of on by default/in release bins in 0.21) work to enable parallel p2p and block/header download in rust.
657 2019-10-10T19:20:21  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17090 | RFC: Rust code integration · Issue #17090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
658 2019-10-10T19:20:22  <BlueMatt> the first step/merge-candidate is #16834 which just fetches headers over dns with 100 loc in rust or so. I want to change the format of the dns responses but otherwise (mod some review from elichai2 I need to respond to) I think its "ready to go"
659 2019-10-10T19:20:23  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16834 | Fetch Headers over DNS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #16834 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
660 2019-10-10T19:20:30  <BlueMatt> (sorry, I had those pre-written :p)
661 2019-10-10T19:21:23  <BlueMatt> in the medium-term, I'd like a) blocks-over-http(preferably s, but ssl is Hard), and b) a full parallel p2p network implementation in rust, likely with the same protocol and with an explicit goal of being Simple and Robust
662 2019-10-10T19:21:27  <fanquake> Aside from the review comments, I've discussed with Cory and there is still some build related "cleanup" that can be done there as well.
663 2019-10-10T19:21:40  <wumpus> as for the high level discussion about rust, concept ACK, don't really have anything to say besides already written in #17090
664 2019-10-10T19:21:41  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17090 | RFC: Rust code integration · Issue #17090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
665 2019-10-10T19:21:43  <BlueMatt> but it has generated a nice little framework for building ways to download the chain
666 2019-10-10T19:21:54  <achow101> time to learn rust I guess
667 2019-10-10T19:22:04  <wumpus> as for fetching headers over DNS ... interesting idea, doesn't it put a lot of strain on the DNS resolver to have a request per block?
668 2019-10-10T19:22:07  <cfields> I think if we're going to discuss here, we should split this topic in two.
669 2019-10-10T19:22:45  <BlueMatt> wumpus: probably, but its partially a demo, and partially a thing that you could theoretically use in conjunction with the Dns-over-https-over-cloudflare stuff people are looking at putting in systemd....
670 2019-10-10T19:22:52  <cfields> (Or maybe the higher level discussions belong on 17090)
671 2019-10-10T19:23:05  <wumpus> so it's good for the last-to-end bocks, but not for getting the entire chain, I guess
672 2019-10-10T19:23:13  <BlueMatt> I think there's a few open questions here that we may want to discuss
673 2019-10-10T19:23:20  <BlueMatt> biggest is just what rustc version do we target
674 2019-10-10T19:23:45  <BlueMatt> wumpus: my model for eaders fetching is that it may be a good censorship *detection* thing, so even if it just gets a few more headers than you have blocks, thats ok
675 2019-10-10T19:23:57  <wumpus> whatever is in bionic would be most convenient I guess
676 2019-10-10T19:24:02  <elichai2> I agree with BlueMatt on the rustc version.
677 2019-10-10T19:24:03  <BlueMatt> as long as it can generate a "you may be censored" warning, which p2p could take an turn on more aggressive options, as well as warn the user
678 2019-10-10T19:24:26  <elichai2> wumpus: that means 1.36
679 2019-10-10T19:24:29  <cfields> Right, we've discussed this a bit briefly. Because we don't yet have any rust code, and it won't be a build-time requirement, it makes sense imo to require the version that delivers whatever features we need. If that's bleeding-edge, so be it.
680 2019-10-10T19:24:38  <BlueMatt> looks like bionic has a newer rustc than debian stable
681 2019-10-10T19:24:42  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
682 2019-10-10T19:24:46  <BlueMatt> (1.36 instead of 1.34)
683 2019-10-10T19:24:48  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
684 2019-10-10T19:24:55  <MarcoFalke> we need bionic for gitian building
685 2019-10-10T19:25:15  <BlueMatt> I dont think we're gonna ship rust code in release until dongcarl figures out guix stuff
686 2019-10-10T19:25:30  <BlueMatt> but I *do* think we don't want to break debian stable (which is gonna be stable for like years)
687 2019-10-10T19:26:04  <elichai2> that's weird
688 2019-10-10T19:26:11  <MarcoFalke> That means the rust code is not shipped and disabled by default. What is the point then? Might as well not do it if it doesn't give any advantage
689 2019-10-10T19:26:12  <wumpus> hm it seems pretty easy to integrate it into the existing gitian
690 2019-10-10T19:26:31  <wumpus> I'm not sure why make it conditional on guix, but anyhow
691 2019-10-10T19:26:42  <wumpus> MarcoFalke: that's the goal in the long term at least
692 2019-10-10T19:26:47  <cfields> MarcoFalke: I mean that we don't *yet* have any rust code, so we're still free to set whatever requirements we want.
693 2019-10-10T19:26:51  <fanquake> BlueMatt Is there anything not in 1.34 from later versions that would be "nice to have" ?
694 2019-10-10T19:26:51  <provoostenator> The new feature can be tested by folks who build manually, that's been done before
695 2019-10-10T19:26:52  <cfields> That changes as soon as we lock-in.
696 2019-10-10T19:26:53  <BlueMatt> MarcoFalke: well I was kinda expecting we'd want to have a good story around bootstrapping the rust code before we ship in release binaries
697 2019-10-10T19:26:57  <BlueMatt> (was hoping 0.21)
698 2019-10-10T19:27:05  <wumpus> I don't think it makes sense to make so many different concerns conditional on each other
699 2019-10-10T19:27:06  <BlueMatt> but if we're comfortable with it, that's cool too
700 2019-10-10T19:27:16  *** promag has quit IRC
701 2019-10-10T19:27:30  <elichai2> fanquake: i'm going over releases now to see if there's anything really interesting after 1.34
702 2019-10-10T19:27:33  <wumpus> historically that was always a bad idea because we don't really know how long things are going to take
703 2019-10-10T19:27:46  <MarcoFalke> for gitian you need to trust Ubuntu either way, so there is no downgrade in trusting the Bionic rustc
704 2019-10-10T19:28:06  <jnewbery> I'm worried that in this medium-term world where we have a shiny new rust p2p implementation, we'll have even fewer people making and reviewing changes in the c++ p2p implementation
705 2019-10-10T19:28:17  <BlueMatt> I suppose this is true....ubuntu did bootstrap rust themselves.....
706 2019-10-10T19:28:44  <BlueMatt> jnewbery: my anticipation is that the "shiny new rust p2p implementation" was explicitly "thou may not relay transactions nor add anything 'complicated'"
707 2019-10-10T19:28:46  <fanquake> jnewbery: atleast that should be somewhat offset by the major p2p reviewers not being Rust devs, as far as I'm aware.
708 2019-10-10T19:28:50  <BlueMatt> so that would hopefully limit that somewhat
709 2019-10-10T19:29:01  <fanquake> aside from bluematt that is.
710 2019-10-10T19:29:39  <wumpus> jnewbery: I mean, you can never control wat people will review and contribute to
711 2019-10-10T19:29:55  <elichai2> 1. better hashmap. 2.alloc crate. 3. #[must_use]. 4. `--offline` to cargo. 5. armv7-unknown-freebsd-gnueabihf, armv6-unknown-freebsd-gnueabihf, wasm32-unknown-wasi support.
712 2019-10-10T19:30:05  <elichai2> i don't think any of them matter but  1.34.2 fixed a CVE
713 2019-10-10T19:30:14  <jnewbery> wumpus: right, I agree with that. I certainly wouldn't want to tell anyone what they should work on
714 2019-10-10T19:30:17  <BlueMatt> right, debian does have 1.34.2, not 1.34
715 2019-10-10T19:30:17  <wumpus> jnewbery: it sounds a bit childish to not include rust code because you're afraid developers will look at that code more :)
716 2019-10-10T19:30:19  <elichai2> that's the debian supported version
717 2019-10-10T19:30:29  <cfields> elichai2: is 2. needed for overriding malloc?
718 2019-10-10T19:30:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
719 2019-10-10T19:30:50  <elichai2> cfields: no. it's just a way to link against liballoc and not libstd
720 2019-10-10T19:30:50  <ysangkok> wouldn't it make sense to drop support for debian once guix makes it really easier to build the same thing on all platforms?
721 2019-10-10T19:30:50  <wumpus> also, it might also get new people interested, you never know
722 2019-10-10T19:30:51  <BlueMatt> cfields: no, only 1.28 is required for GlobalAlloc
723 2019-10-10T19:31:05  <cfields> Ok, thanks.
724 2019-10-10T19:31:06  <elichai2> (making binaries smaller and further support for embedded)
725 2019-10-10T19:31:28  <fanquake> wumpus: hopefully
726 2019-10-10T19:31:35  <jnewbery> wumpus: I'm not sure it's childish. I think it's a valid concern thta when there aren't many developers looking at a component, then reimplementing it in a different language may make the situation worse
727 2019-10-10T19:32:02  <MarcoFalke> ysangkok: That is the long-term goal, but won't happen before Bitcoin Core 0.21.0
728 2019-10-10T19:32:12  <provoostenator> I would probably feel more embolded reviewing c++ p2p code if there was a fresh Rust version to compare with
729 2019-10-10T19:32:18  <BlueMatt> elichai2: well luckily all but 3 there dont require changes to our code, so we can build with newer rustc and get those features, even if we "support" older ones
730 2019-10-10T19:32:18  <wumpus> jnewbery: but only if you see the set of dvelopers looking at the code as a closed set, I hope that's not the case in the medium term
731 2019-10-10T19:33:26  <elichai2> BlueMatt: yeah I shoud've dropped 1 because that's transparent to impl. but 2 isn't. altough I don't think we care about it that much (maybe for compiling to some exotic target that doesn't support libstd)
732 2019-10-10T19:33:48  <BlueMatt> right, I dont think core is gonna support wasm so that may be ok :p
733 2019-10-10T19:34:48  <elichai2> oh another thing in 1.35 is musl support. although again that doesn't bother implementors. only the users who compile (a user can compile the same code both to x86_64-gnu and x86_64-musl) https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/58575
734 2019-10-10T19:35:16  <elichai2> IMHO 1.34.2 it is
735 2019-10-10T19:35:28  <midnightmagic> musl appears to be a popular target for supporting e.g. BE on POWER9
736 2019-10-10T19:35:33  <BlueMatt> kool, unless there are other obections seems like at least that issue is fine
737 2019-10-10T19:36:13  <wumpus> people that want to use musl can just use a newer rust, right?
738 2019-10-10T19:36:28  <BlueMatt> midnightmagic: right, just means those users will need a newer rustc, even though we "support" older ones
739 2019-10-10T19:36:29  <elichai2> yes
740 2019-10-10T19:36:29  <wumpus> that it supports 1.35 doesn't mean you need to build with that...
741 2019-10-10T19:36:30  <BlueMatt> yep
742 2019-10-10T19:36:47  <elichai2> the target support should only conserned released binaries I think
743 2019-10-10T19:37:17  <midnightmagic> sure, just making observation that it appears some (highly competent) people are liking the musl
744 2019-10-10T19:37:26  <BlueMatt> right
745 2019-10-10T19:37:30  <midnightmagic> \o
746 2019-10-10T19:37:43  <elichai2> so as long as all released binaries are for x86 windows/gnu(glibc) then I don't think any of that other stuff matter. users can use 1.38 to compile to musl/armv7/riscv32i etc.
747 2019-10-10T19:38:05  <cfields> *armv7-bsd
748 2019-10-10T19:38:05  <wumpus> released binaries are glibc only
749 2019-10-10T19:38:25  <wumpus> I'm sure that could change inthe future, but that's a wholly different concern
750 2019-10-10T19:38:26  <BlueMatt> right, and you'll at least be able to turn it off at compile time for the forseeable future
751 2019-10-10T19:38:53  <cfields> elichai2 and I have a longer-term plan for rust/libc world domination anyway.
752 2019-10-10T19:39:05  <BlueMatt> another thing that may be worth mentioning here is that for the bitcoin core-required bits of stratumv2 (ie a getblocktemplate replacement) there has been some initial speculation/thinking that it would be in rust
753 2019-10-10T19:40:16  <elichai2> cfields: don't know too much about armv7 but something changed even for the linux variants lately https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/63107/
754 2019-10-10T19:40:29  <MarcoFalke> so the windows,mac,and arm releases couldn't come with any rust code compiled in?
755 2019-10-10T19:40:36  <MarcoFalke> only the x86 ones?
756 2019-10-10T19:41:03  <BlueMatt> no they totally could
757 2019-10-10T19:41:13  <BlueMatt> all of those platforms are "well supported"
758 2019-10-10T19:41:36  <BlueMatt> power may be more of a question (as its "second tier" support or some shit like that), but I've never had issues with rust on power9 and thats my main dev machine
759 2019-10-10T19:42:13  <wumpus> rust works very well on ARM 32 and 64, windows/mac is also well supported
760 2019-10-10T19:42:20  <MarcoFalke> we don't have power yet: #14066
761 2019-10-10T19:42:22  <cfields> yeah, I'm a bit confused about that PR. I think it's a bit more subtle than "armv7 wasn't supported but is now".
762 2019-10-10T19:42:23  <wumpus> risc-v linux is still a problem right now
763 2019-10-10T19:42:43  <elichai2> I really don't know a lot about arm and there are too many target triples for armv7 for me to know what's what lol
764 2019-10-10T19:42:47  <wumpus> then again, that will be resolved soon, I'm sure it won't be in a year or so
765 2019-10-10T19:42:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14066 | gitian-linux: Build binaries for 64-bit POWER by luke-jr · Pull Request #14066 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
766 2019-10-10T19:42:58  <elichai2> wumpus: which target triple is "normal arm"?
767 2019-10-10T19:43:05  <wumpus> arm-linux-gnueabi
768 2019-10-10T19:43:10  <wumpus> hf
769 2019-10-10T19:43:38  <elichai2> yeah. that's Tier 2 with cargo+rustc+libstd. good support :)
770 2019-10-10T19:43:39  <BlueMatt> do we support hard forking? </badjoke>
771 2019-10-10T19:43:54  <wumpus> arm64 is aarch64-linux-gnu
772 2019-10-10T19:44:21  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
773 2019-10-10T19:44:23  <wumpus> both can run the compiler as well as cross compile for
774 2019-10-10T19:44:38  <fanquake> Getting a bit into the weeds here. Does anyone else have a meeting topic for the last 15 minutes? Otherwise I can we can continue Rust discussion/
775 2019-10-10T19:44:40  <elichai2> yep same. the `gnueabi` and `musleabi` are the ones who changed
776 2019-10-10T19:45:01  <wumpus> I don't think there's any other topics
777 2019-10-10T19:45:41  <wumpus> #endmeeting
778 2019-10-10T19:45:41  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Oct 10 19:45:41 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
779 2019-10-10T19:45:41  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-10-10-19.00.html
780 2019-10-10T19:45:41  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-10-10-19.00.txt
781 2019-10-10T19:45:41  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-10-10-19.00.log.html
782 2019-10-10T19:45:43  <BlueMatt> I mean so it sounds like conclusions are: 1.36(at least, if not older) target for "supported"
783 2019-10-10T19:45:57  <BlueMatt> and also review #16834
784 2019-10-10T19:45:58  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16834 | Fetch Headers over DNS by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #16834 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
785 2019-10-10T19:46:25  <jeremyrubin> Sorry -- was running late but just caught up
786 2019-10-10T19:46:35  <fanquake> BlueMatt: could you summarize into #17090 ?
787 2019-10-10T19:46:36  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17090 | RFC: Rust code integration · Issue #17090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
788 2019-10-10T19:46:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
789 2019-10-10T19:46:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery closed pull request #10593: Relax punishment for peers relaying invalid blocks and headers (master...relax_invblk_punishment) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10593
790 2019-10-10T19:46:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
791 2019-10-10T19:46:56  *** jtimon has quit IRC
792 2019-10-10T19:46:59  <BlueMatt> fanquake: will do
793 2019-10-10T19:47:07  <fanquake> BlueMatt: cheers
794 2019-10-10T19:48:00  <jeremyrubin> My general feeling is we should keep the version flexible until we're looking to put it in a release, echoing cfields. If we want experimental features, so be it. One nice thing is that it's easily doable to link multiple rust versions if needed, afaict
795 2019-10-10T19:48:15  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
796 2019-10-10T19:49:02  *** seeder has quit IRC
797 2019-10-10T19:49:08  <jeremyrubin> So if there's a set of non-experimental rust that is going to build against the stable, it'd be fine to have experimental extensions too which are nightly. Especially if we're looking at big modules (like a blocks over DNS thing)
798 2019-10-10T19:51:43  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
799 2019-10-10T19:52:11  <BlueMatt> jeremyrubin: I dunno about nightly rust, but I don't know that anyone would really disagree about "revisit rustc requirement in the future if we need something"
800 2019-10-10T19:52:44  <BlueMatt> jeremyrubin: but, at least personally, I'd be really, really, really heasitant to do that unless we really need something, and eg super new features like async/await probably need at least a year or two before we'd even remotely consider them.
801 2019-10-10T19:52:59  <BlueMatt> (and, short that, there isnt a ton of shiny newness we want, imo)
802 2019-10-10T19:54:27  <jeremyrubin> That's roughly what I had in mind. personally I'm dreading async/await being more popular though, and don't think we'll necessarily want to use it at all.
803 2019-10-10T19:54:59  <BlueMatt> same
804 2019-10-10T19:55:44  <Bullit> Remember units such as ¨ton¨ are still strange
805 2019-10-10T19:55:45  <elichai2> async/await is mostly sugar syntaxing. most of the usability is already there just looks ugly
806 2019-10-10T19:56:28  <jeremyrubin> elichai2: I'm unexcited for people using it more ;)
807 2019-10-10T19:59:16  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
808 2019-10-10T20:00:35  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
809 2019-10-10T20:00:36  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d5a770b70d55...08ed87e8875d
810 2019-10-10T20:00:36  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 86b9f92 Hennadii Stepanov: doc: Add detailed info about Bitcoin Core files
811 2019-10-10T20:00:37  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 08ed87e MarcoFalke: Merge #16983: doc: Add detailed info about Bitcoin Core files
812 2019-10-10T20:00:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
813 2019-10-10T20:00:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
814 2019-10-10T20:00:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #16983: doc: Add detailed info about Bitcoin Core files (master...20190929-files) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16983
815 2019-10-10T20:00:56  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
816 2019-10-10T20:01:45  <instagibbs> jonasschnelli, 16944 fits a small usability niche that I appreciate. After that I don't think there's more "feature creep" until someone wants full fledged offline signer wizard, which is a much larger change
817 2019-10-10T20:02:46  *** ariard_ has quit IRC
818 2019-10-10T20:02:52  <jonasschnelli> Yeah. I kinda also appreciate. I guess its also pretty isolated to not scare non PSBT users
819 2019-10-10T20:04:58  <instagibbs> yes, if it wasn't really small change set and hidden to normal users I'd be -1 on it
820 2019-10-10T20:06:17  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
821 2019-10-10T20:08:20  *** ariard has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
822 2019-10-10T20:10:06  *** promag has quit IRC
823 2019-10-10T20:10:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
824 2019-10-10T20:10:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #17102: doc: Add missing indexes/blockfilter/basic to doc/files.md (master...1909-docFilesBlockFilterIndex) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17102
825 2019-10-10T20:10:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
826 2019-10-10T20:15:02  <ysangkok> jeremyrubin: what is your concern with await/async?
827 2019-10-10T20:24:24  <jeremyrubin> Generally I think that willy-nilly await/async leads to deadlock/race conditions and non-deterministic execution.
828 2019-10-10T20:25:02  <jeremyrubin> Even if Rust permits us to be more broad in the parallelism we use in Bitcoin, I think this generally points to still closely guarded/scoped parallelism.
829 2019-10-10T20:26:19  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
830 2019-10-10T20:27:17  <jeremyrubin> I don't like how infectuos await/async is either. Because soon lots of libraries will use/abuse await/async and those types will 'infect' your code to an extent.
831 2019-10-10T20:27:45  <BlueMatt> add it to the long list of gripes over the rust ecosystem :/
832 2019-10-10T20:28:07  <jeremyrubin> Luckily, for Bitcoin, if we aren't making much use of await/async we'll mostly be able to avoid it as we're not going to be relying on a huge number of crates
833 2019-10-10T20:30:12  <jeremyrubin> I think overall it's a good thing; it's going to make rust much more suitable for general application development, which will draw more users, which means more review/investment etc etc. But I doubt the async/await features will be super useful for nitty-gritty systems engineering, which is the original focus for rust.
834 2019-10-10T20:31:03  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
835 2019-10-10T20:33:32  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
836 2019-10-10T20:33:34  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
837 2019-10-10T20:35:12  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
838 2019-10-10T20:35:40  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
839 2019-10-10T20:35:46  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
840 2019-10-10T20:42:02  *** mmgen has quit IRC
841 2019-10-10T20:43:22  *** arik_ has quit IRC
842 2019-10-10T20:44:17  *** jkczyz has quit IRC
843 2019-10-10T20:45:08  *** MasterdonX has quit IRC
844 2019-10-10T20:47:00  *** MasterdonX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
845 2019-10-10T20:47:11  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
846 2019-10-10T20:49:55  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
847 2019-10-10T20:51:41  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
848 2019-10-10T20:57:41  *** shesek has quit IRC
849 2019-10-10T20:58:04  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
850 2019-10-10T20:58:04  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
851 2019-10-10T20:59:12  *** shesek has quit IRC
852 2019-10-10T20:59:40  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
853 2019-10-10T21:00:01  *** Ahmuck has quit IRC
854 2019-10-10T21:03:03  *** shesek has quit IRC
855 2019-10-10T21:03:30  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
856 2019-10-10T21:04:26  *** cryptapus has quit IRC
857 2019-10-10T21:05:12  *** MasterdonX has quit IRC
858 2019-10-10T21:06:05  *** MasterdonX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
859 2019-10-10T21:06:47  *** shesek has quit IRC
860 2019-10-10T21:07:09  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
861 2019-10-10T21:07:09  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
862 2019-10-10T21:08:33  *** shesek has quit IRC
863 2019-10-10T21:08:59  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
864 2019-10-10T21:08:59  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
865 2019-10-10T21:14:10  *** qapla_org has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
866 2019-10-10T21:14:31  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
867 2019-10-10T21:25:34  <sipa> qt/rpcconsole.cpp:1287:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
868 2019-10-10T21:35:56  *** promag_ is now known as promag
869 2019-10-10T21:35:59  <promag> I was under the impression it wouldn't be a problem (as in it wouldn't complain) if there were a case X: for each enum value
870 2019-10-10T21:36:54  *** ghost43_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
871 2019-10-10T21:37:53  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
872 2019-10-10T21:38:06  <promag> should add a default: on the last case?
873 2019-10-10T21:38:29  <promag> default: assert(false) ?
874 2019-10-10T21:40:56  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
875 2019-10-10T21:44:43  *** jkczyz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
876 2019-10-10T21:44:55  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
877 2019-10-10T21:46:53  *** arik__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
878 2019-10-10T21:49:19  *** arik___ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
879 2019-10-10T21:50:52  *** arik_ has quit IRC
880 2019-10-10T21:52:15  *** shesek has quit IRC
881 2019-10-10T21:52:37  *** arik__ has quit IRC
882 2019-10-10T21:52:41  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
883 2019-10-10T21:53:57  *** shesek has quit IRC
884 2019-10-10T21:54:19  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
885 2019-10-10T21:54:19  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
886 2019-10-10T21:55:25  *** shesek has quit IRC
887 2019-10-10T21:55:50  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
888 2019-10-10T21:55:50  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
889 2019-10-10T21:57:14  *** shesek has quit IRC
890 2019-10-10T21:57:29  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
891 2019-10-10T21:57:37  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
892 2019-10-10T21:58:55  *** shesek has quit IRC
893 2019-10-10T21:59:20  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
894 2019-10-10T21:59:20  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
895 2019-10-10T22:18:34  *** arik_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
896 2019-10-10T22:21:15  *** arik___ has quit IRC
897 2019-10-10T22:22:46  *** Sentineo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
898 2019-10-10T22:25:25  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
899 2019-10-10T22:28:05  *** jeremyrubin has quit IRC
900 2019-10-10T22:34:35  <luke-jr> sipa: promag: default:assert(false) just breaks the warning :/
901 2019-10-10T22:35:07  <luke-jr> best to cover each case explicitly, so when/if the enum gets a value added, the warning comes back if it's not added here too
902 2019-10-10T22:37:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
903 2019-10-10T22:37:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ch4ot1c opened pull request #17104: [WIP] build: `make dist` uses `git archive` (master...build/archive-dist) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17104
904 2019-10-10T22:37:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
905 2019-10-10T22:40:06  <sipa> luke-jr: i have not checked the code, but i believe the problem is that the warning is emitted despite all enum values being covered in the switch
906 2019-10-10T22:40:58  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
907 2019-10-10T22:41:28  <luke-jr> oh, that's weird
908 2019-10-10T22:41:47  <luke-jr> well, maybe not, different warning
909 2019-10-10T22:41:52  <luke-jr> add assert(false) after the switch?
910 2019-10-10T22:42:08  <luke-jr> that way the switch will still warn if it's missing a value
911 2019-10-10T22:42:34  <Bullit> Which switch are you planing on using they all about bottom
912 2019-10-10T22:43:19  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
913 2019-10-10T22:55:21  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
914 2019-10-10T23:00:29  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
915 2019-10-10T23:04:20  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
916 2019-10-10T23:04:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #17105: gui: Add missing return value in RPCConsole::tabShortcut (master...2019-10-fix-warning) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17105
917 2019-10-10T23:04:22  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
918 2019-10-10T23:08:22  *** promag has quit IRC
919 2019-10-10T23:14:06  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
920 2019-10-10T23:19:43  *** jkczyz has quit IRC
921 2019-10-10T23:20:50  *** jkczyz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
922 2019-10-10T23:24:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
923 2019-10-10T23:25:04  *** arik__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
924 2019-10-10T23:26:17  *** arik___ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
925 2019-10-10T23:28:27  *** arik_ has quit IRC
926 2019-10-10T23:29:15  *** arik__ has quit IRC
927 2019-10-10T23:31:15  *** MasterdonX has quit IRC
928 2019-10-10T23:32:14  *** MasterdonX has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
929 2019-10-10T23:36:00  *** jeremyrubin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
930 2019-10-10T23:41:02  *** Karyon has quit IRC
931 2019-10-10T23:41:26  *** Karyon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
932 2019-10-10T23:44:57  *** arik___ has quit IRC
933 2019-10-10T23:45:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev