1 2019-11-08T00:00:02  *** wltjr1 has quit IRC
  2 2019-11-08T00:03:17  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
  3 2019-11-08T00:04:54  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2019-11-08T00:11:14  *** promag has quit IRC
  5 2019-11-08T00:11:57  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  6 2019-11-08T00:16:30  *** promag has quit IRC
  7 2019-11-08T00:16:37  *** spinza has quit IRC
  8 2019-11-08T00:16:47  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
  9 2019-11-08T00:38:50  *** harrigan has quit IRC
 10 2019-11-08T00:40:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2019-11-08T00:40:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #17409: build: Avoid hardcoded libfaketime dir in gitian (master...1911-gitianArm64) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17409
 12 2019-11-08T00:40:04  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2019-11-08T00:43:59  *** tronical1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2019-11-08T00:56:37  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
 15 2019-11-08T01:06:12  *** soju has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 16 2019-11-08T01:07:53  *** harrigan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2019-11-08T01:22:32  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2019-11-08T01:27:52  *** soju__ has quit IRC
 19 2019-11-08T01:30:33  *** alko89 has quit IRC
 20 2019-11-08T01:32:13  <wumpus> nice, travis is green for leveldb+crc32b
 21 2019-11-08T01:32:22  *** alko89 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2019-11-08T01:33:37  <sipa> wumpus: \o/
 23 2019-11-08T01:37:12  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 24 2019-11-08T01:55:25  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
 25 2019-11-08T02:08:56  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 26 2019-11-08T02:12:38  *** lightlike has quit IRC
 27 2019-11-08T02:26:13  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2019-11-08T02:30:18  *** ddustin has quit IRC
 29 2019-11-08T02:36:56  *** spinza has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2019-11-08T03:00:01  *** tronical1 has quit IRC
 31 2019-11-08T03:12:35  *** felixfoertsch23 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2019-11-08T03:13:36  *** felixfoertsch has quit IRC
 33 2019-11-08T03:17:36  *** mkrautz1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2019-11-08T03:18:05  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 35 2019-11-08T03:33:58  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2019-11-08T03:59:02  *** nosss2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2019-11-08T04:18:29  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2019-11-08T04:20:17  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 39 2019-11-08T04:48:50  *** rachelfish has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2019-11-08T04:58:47  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 41 2019-11-08T05:07:56  *** nosss2 has quit IRC
 42 2019-11-08T05:21:09  *** felixfoertsch23 has quit IRC
 43 2019-11-08T05:21:20  *** felixfoertsch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2019-11-08T05:25:05  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
 45 2019-11-08T05:25:28  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2019-11-08T06:00:02  *** mkrautz1 has quit IRC
 47 2019-11-08T06:08:10  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2019-11-08T06:14:53  *** Karyon has quit IRC
 49 2019-11-08T06:19:38  *** bastion-tester has quit IRC
 50 2019-11-08T06:31:50  *** bastion-tester has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2019-11-08T06:38:49  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 52 2019-11-08T06:39:11  *** Karyon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2019-11-08T06:45:59  *** armin76 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2019-11-08T07:12:34  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2019-11-08T07:16:58  *** promag has quit IRC
 56 2019-11-08T07:23:01  *** murrayn has quit IRC
 57 2019-11-08T07:29:28  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2019-11-08T07:29:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #17410: Rename `db` log category to `walletdb` (like `coindb`) (master...2019_11_rename_db_log_category) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17410
 59 2019-11-08T07:29:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2019-11-08T07:31:54  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
 61 2019-11-08T08:12:31  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2019-11-08T08:12:31  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #17411: doc: Add some better examples for scripted diff (master...2019_11_scripted_diff_examples) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17411
 63 2019-11-08T08:12:32  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2019-11-08T08:17:28  *** chile has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2019-11-08T08:18:27  *** chile has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2019-11-08T08:24:53  *** chile has quit IRC
 67 2019-11-08T08:25:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2019-11-08T08:25:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors opened pull request #17412: Add Boost::Process to AppVeyor dependencies (master...2019/11/msvc_boost_process) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17412
 69 2019-11-08T08:25:07  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2019-11-08T08:27:36  *** b10c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2019-11-08T08:28:25  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2019-11-08T08:31:07  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2019-11-08T08:35:22  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 74 2019-11-08T08:57:01  *** murray has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 75 2019-11-08T08:57:25  *** murray is now known as Guest60388
 76 2019-11-08T08:57:44  *** Guest60388 has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2019-11-08T08:58:09  *** murrayn has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2019-11-08T09:00:01  *** armin76 has quit IRC
 79 2019-11-08T09:02:03  <wumpus> so yes maybe it's better to sort out the linters instead of moving around things in the tree, trying with "good first issue"... https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17413
 80 2019-11-08T09:10:28  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2019-11-08T09:12:20  <wumpus> is there a way to see what appveyor is currently doing? I see only 'queued' PRs, even under history
 82 2019-11-08T09:13:19  <wumpus> "Current build" is in queued state too
 83 2019-11-08T09:13:40  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 84 2019-11-08T09:24:29  <wumpus> BlueMatt:  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15382#issuecomment-551451359 kind of reminds me what has bothing me about the rust stuff; I think the build system there also needs to focus on features, not "use rust or not", don't group them on programmings language/dependency; if someone wants to enable a feature that happens to be implemented in rust, request them to install a rust compiler :)
 85 2019-11-08T09:25:32  <wumpus> this is also why we have with-gui, not with-qt
 86 2019-11-08T09:28:53  <wumpus> though admittedly, the default there is auto, which sets it to enabled or not based on whether qt development package is installed, which is used as a proxy for 'is this a headless server or a desktop', I guess ...
 87 2019-11-08T09:29:29  <wumpus> as said I'm somewhat skeptical at those kinds of attempts to detect what the user wants
 88 2019-11-08T09:34:35  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2019-11-08T09:42:37  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2019-11-08T09:45:25  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 91 2019-11-08T09:48:17  *** n3glv1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2019-11-08T10:00:55  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 93 2019-11-08T10:04:14  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
 94 2019-11-08T10:16:15  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 95 2019-11-08T10:19:32  <elichai2> wumpus: I actually don't completely on that. for a long time I didn't understood a thing about bitcoin's build system and/or code and I liked that it installed basically everything I could manage (I'm one of those freaks who likes the GUI :) )
 96 2019-11-08T10:19:32  <elichai2> I think currently the build system is bloated with options such that there's no way for a naive user to even *know* what he can enable/disable
 97 2019-11-08T10:20:10  <elichai2> (though maybe auto detection isn't the right answer but splitting features into "normal" and "advanced" is the better answer )
 98 2019-11-08T10:23:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2019-11-08T10:23:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider pushed 10 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2fb6140d585f...99ab3a72c5ff
100 2019-11-08T10:23:55  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 10b4729 Antoine Riard: Pass block height in Chain::BlockConnected/Chain::BlockDisconnected
101 2019-11-08T10:23:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5aacc3e Antoine Riard: Add m_last_block_processed_height field in CWallet
102 2019-11-08T10:23:57  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9700fcb Antoine Riard: Replace CWalletTx::SetConf by Confirmation initialization list
103 2019-11-08T10:23:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2019-11-08T10:24:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2019-11-08T10:24:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] meshcollider merged pull request #15931: Remove GetDepthInMainChain dependency on locked chain interface (master...2019-04-remove-external-locking) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15931
106 2019-11-08T10:24:30  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2019-11-08T10:25:53  <wumpus> elichai2: sure, but  how does features things based on what dependencies you happen to have installed help with that?
108 2019-11-08T10:26:00  <wumpus> picking features*
109 2019-11-08T10:26:41  <elichai2> wumpus: that you somehow ends up with a lot of features that at least some of them you want? :P
110 2019-11-08T10:27:15  <elichai2> (i.e. I remember installing qt and then compiling core so I can get the GUI, and if I didn't get it I knew my QT is missing)
111 2019-11-08T10:27:16  <wumpus> like, for example the wallet, we assume someone wants a wallet unless --disable-wallet is provided. I think that is great.
112 2019-11-08T10:27:37  <wumpus> wouldn't it be wtf if it was determined based on whether someone has bdb headers installed
113 2019-11-08T10:28:05  <wumpus> no, if you don't have bdb headers installed, and don't provide --disable-wallet, you get a clear message
114 2019-11-08T10:28:35  <wumpus> so you can choose, you want a wallet and install the headers, or disable it and don't
115 2019-11-08T10:30:03  <wumpus> a bloated build system is a different problem, and I agree it wouldn't be great if you would have to do that for 500 different things, but choosing automatically based on the phase of the moon just *hides* that problem
116 2019-11-08T10:30:30  <elichai2> yeah but I think for the wallet 90% of users want it. GUI 50%, and then the rest idk (even those this is 100% guess according to users I know heh)
117 2019-11-08T10:33:50  <wumpus> for a while I was frustrated that for example, tor wouldn't pass configure unless some documentation building thing is installed, or --no-docs is passed. But I think it makes sense now. Most people (should) want documentation, and having *random documentation generator* not installed doesn't automatically mean you don't.
118 2019-11-08T10:35:19  <wumpus> and if you really don't, then tell it...
119 2019-11-08T10:35:39  *** davterra has quit IRC
120 2019-11-08T10:37:04  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
121 2019-11-08T10:38:21  <wumpus> the only thing that makes this behavior somewhat acceptable is the summary at the end of configure :)
122 2019-11-08T10:41:34  <wumpus> because at least you see what automatic choices it made, before you start building and conclude you're building a GUI you don't want, for ex.
123 2019-11-08T10:48:06  <elichai2> yeah. if you're already venting, I hate that setting CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/CC/CXX can sometimes break the configure
124 2019-11-08T10:49:13  *** afk11 has quit IRC
125 2019-11-08T10:49:14  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
126 2019-11-08T10:49:35  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
127 2019-11-08T10:49:38  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2019-11-08T11:08:24  <wumpus> well if you set some insane flags like --no-stdlib that's expected :)
129 2019-11-08T11:34:24  *** andytoshi has quit IRC
130 2019-11-08T11:52:19  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2019-11-08T11:57:33  <elichai2> It happened to me a when I tried to switch a linker but 🤷‍♂️
132 2019-11-08T11:58:13  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2019-11-08T11:59:26  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
134 2019-11-08T12:00:02  *** n3glv1 has quit IRC
135 2019-11-08T12:05:32  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
136 2019-11-08T12:08:24  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2019-11-08T12:17:41  *** hmachado has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
138 2019-11-08T12:41:22  *** bastion-tester has quit IRC
139 2019-11-08T12:43:53  *** bastion-tester has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2019-11-08T12:45:30  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
141 2019-11-08T12:46:15  *** dviola has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2019-11-08T12:55:13  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2019-11-08T13:00:42  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
144 2019-11-08T13:01:25  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2019-11-08T13:13:20  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
146 2019-11-08T13:15:28  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
147 2019-11-08T13:15:44  *** dviola has quit IRC
148 2019-11-08T13:17:13  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2019-11-08T13:31:43  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
150 2019-11-08T13:42:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2019-11-08T13:42:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipsorcery opened pull request #17416: Appveyor improvement - adds check for all required vcpkg packages (master...check-missing-vcpkgs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17416
152 2019-11-08T13:42:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2019-11-08T13:45:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
154 2019-11-08T13:45:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/99ab3a72c5ff...4a3b6f47cd75
155 2019-11-08T13:45:14  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 01f45dd João Barbosa: wallet: Avoid recursive lock in CWallet::SetUsedDestinationState
156 2019-11-08T13:45:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0b75a7f João Barbosa: wallet: Reuse existing batch in CWallet::SetUsedDestinationState
157 2019-11-08T13:45:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4a3b6f4 fanquake: Merge #17354: wallet: Tidy CWallet::SetUsedDestinationState
158 2019-11-08T13:45:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2019-11-08T13:45:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
160 2019-11-08T13:45:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #17354: wallet: Tidy CWallet::SetUsedDestinationState (master...2019-11-setuseddestinationstate) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17354
161 2019-11-08T13:45:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2019-11-08T14:01:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
163 2019-11-08T14:01:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4a3b6f47cd75...8021392b825c
164 2019-11-08T14:01:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fad1de6 MarcoFalke: wallet: Remove unused boost::this_thread::interruption_point
165 2019-11-08T14:01:35  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8021392 fanquake: Merge #17405: wallet: Remove unused boost::this_thread::interruption_point...
166 2019-11-08T14:01:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
167 2019-11-08T14:01:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2019-11-08T14:01:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #17405: wallet: Remove unused boost::this_thread::interruption_point (master...1911-walletNoBoost) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17405
169 2019-11-08T14:01:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2019-11-08T14:02:27  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2019-11-08T14:14:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2019-11-08T14:14:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #17417: [0.19] cli: fix -getinfo output when compiled with no wallet (0.19...backport_17368_019) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17417
173 2019-11-08T14:14:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2019-11-08T14:21:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2019-11-08T14:21:18  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #17412: Add Boost::Process to AppVeyor dependencies (master...2019/11/msvc_boost_process) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17412
176 2019-11-08T14:21:20  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
177 2019-11-08T14:24:18  *** shesek has quit IRC
178 2019-11-08T14:24:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2019-11-08T14:24:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] RandyMcMillan opened pull request #17418: Build: add REPO_SLUG to fix errors in forked builds (master...repo-slug) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17418
180 2019-11-08T14:24:33  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2019-11-08T14:24:47  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2019-11-08T14:24:47  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2019-11-08T14:27:21  *** diogosergio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2019-11-08T14:32:13  *** nosss2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
185 2019-11-08T14:47:05  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2019-11-08T14:47:12  *** Sk8M8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2019-11-08T14:48:45  *** nosss2 has quit IRC
188 2019-11-08T14:53:31  <michaelfolkson> With the PR review club we often need to look back on old PRs that have been merged (in some cases years ago). Any thoughts (especially from maintainers, long term contributors) on asking questions or adding links/resources on a closed PR for educational purposes? Or is this too noisy and you'd prefer to not have activity on PRs once merged/closed?
189 2019-11-08T14:54:26  <michaelfolkson> An alternative would be to ask a question on StackExchange referring to a particular PR. That would be preferable right?
190 2019-11-08T14:55:06  *** SiAnDoG_ has quit IRC
191 2019-11-08T14:55:10  *** SiAnDoG__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
192 2019-11-08T14:58:21  *** nosss2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2019-11-08T14:59:14  *** diogosergio has quit IRC
194 2019-11-08T15:00:03  *** hmachado has quit IRC
195 2019-11-08T15:01:47  <emilengler> michaelfolkson: We could create a masterthread issue on the main repo
196 2019-11-08T15:01:55  <emilengler> And then we could link older PRs as well
197 2019-11-08T15:02:11  <emilengler> If you look the older PR you will se that it got mentioned but IIRC no party will get a notification
198 2019-11-08T15:02:25  <emilengler> And it is not counted as activity in that PR as well IIRC
199 2019-11-08T15:03:03  *** nosss2 has quit IRC
200 2019-11-08T15:06:01  <michaelfolkson> The no notifications sounds good. What is a masterthread issue though? A issue label "masterthread" which doesn't notify anyone? You'd set up a new issue each time you have a question on a PR? Or an issue is set up mapping to one particular PR and then all discussion for that PR is on that one issue?
201 2019-11-08T15:09:47  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2019-11-08T15:14:00  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
203 2019-11-08T15:16:00  <michaelfolkson> For anybody who knows about policy language, Miniscript just posted this on Bitcoin StackExchange https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/91565/what-does-bitcoin-policy-language-offer-the-developer-that-miniscript-doesnt-w
204 2019-11-08T15:16:28  <instagibbs> ##miniscript is the place
205 2019-11-08T15:17:00  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2019-11-08T15:17:01  <instagibbs> x-posted the link there
207 2019-11-08T15:17:13  <michaelfolkson> Ah cool thanks <instagibbs>
208 2019-11-08T15:17:44  *** zleap has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2019-11-08T15:19:27  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2019-11-08T15:25:57  *** promag has quit IRC
211 2019-11-08T15:30:41  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2019-11-08T15:33:56  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
213 2019-11-08T15:38:27  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
214 2019-11-08T16:15:27  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
215 2019-11-08T16:18:23  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
216 2019-11-08T16:20:52  <Bullit> Where Bernstein was a conglomerate in Aberdeen
217 2019-11-08T16:20:57  *** diogosergio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2019-11-08T16:26:04  *** diogosergio has quit IRC
219 2019-11-08T16:30:27  *** 07IAC4NHA has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2019-11-08T16:36:49  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
221 2019-11-08T16:38:55  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
222 2019-11-08T16:39:43  <BlueMatt> wumpus: hmmm...could do a experimental-anticensorship-features or so, but there was some discussion of doing a gbt replacement in rust, too
223 2019-11-08T16:39:46  <BlueMatt> which....
224 2019-11-08T16:40:00  <BlueMatt> so, leaves me without a *great* name for it
225 2019-11-08T16:40:10  <BlueMatt> but happy to rename it to something else if you have an idea
226 2019-11-08T16:40:21  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
227 2019-11-08T16:44:53  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
228 2019-11-08T16:46:30  *** sipsorcery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
229 2019-11-08T16:48:57  <sipsorcery> @fanquake you around? PR's #17412 and #17416 are a little bit orthogonal.
230 2019-11-08T16:48:59  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17412 | Add Boost::Process to AppVeyor dependencies by Sjors · Pull Request #17412 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
231 2019-11-08T16:49:00  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17416 | Appveyor improvement - adds check for all required vcpkg packages by sipsorcery · Pull Request #17416 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
232 2019-11-08T16:49:14  <fanquake> sipsorcery: yea
233 2019-11-08T16:50:34  <sipsorcery> 17416 is a fix to allow new vcpkg's to be added without needing the appveyor cache to be invalidated.
234 2019-11-08T16:50:54  <sipsorcery> 17412 is adding the specific package boost-process to the list of packages.
235 2019-11-08T16:51:47  *** jonatack has quit IRC
236 2019-11-08T16:52:00  <fanquake> Yes, but isn't the reason 17412 is required because of the issue 17416 is fixing? Otherwise I don't understand why the boost packages need to be added in advance.
237 2019-11-08T16:52:28  <sipsorcery> no. at least I don't think so.
238 2019-11-08T16:52:29  <fanquake> I'd rather not do that, or modify the build docs until the feature that requires them is actually merged.
239 2019-11-08T16:53:49  <fanquake> Right. So does this mean that you can basically smash appveyors global cache and break all other PR builds just buy opening a new PR with a new dependency?
240 2019-11-08T16:53:51  <fanquake> *by
241 2019-11-08T16:53:56  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2019-11-08T16:55:59  *** jb55 has quit IRC
243 2019-11-08T16:56:05  <sipsorcery> actually boost-process is being added in 15382. so 17412 seems to be a pre-emptive add to avoid future cache invalidations.
244 2019-11-08T16:56:19  <sipsorcery> i think i understand what you're getting at now.
245 2019-11-08T16:57:04  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2019-11-08T16:57:15  <sipsorcery> as far as the appveyor cache goes it's going to get regularly invalidated due to changes to the build
247 2019-11-08T16:57:39  <sipsorcery> so it's not something that has to be avoided. it's something to minimise.
248 2019-11-08T16:58:41  <sipsorcery> so 17416 will allow new packages to be added without manual intervention and avoid unnecessary vcpkg operations when there are no new packages.
249 2019-11-08T16:59:09  <fanquake> That sounds like an improvement
250 2019-11-08T16:59:19  <sipsorcery> the addition of boost-process looks like it can wait for 15382.
251 2019-11-08T16:59:28  <sipsorcery> and 17412 can stay closed.
252 2019-11-08T16:59:32  <sipsorcery> all good now, thx.
253 2019-11-08T16:59:34  <fanquake> 👍
254 2019-11-08T17:02:15  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2019-11-08T17:04:47  *** Zenton has quit IRC
256 2019-11-08T17:08:39  *** andytoshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
257 2019-11-08T17:08:40  *** andytoshi has quit IRC
258 2019-11-08T17:08:40  *** andytoshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2019-11-08T17:25:14  *** shesek has quit IRC
260 2019-11-08T17:25:58  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2019-11-08T17:25:58  *** shesek has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2019-11-08T17:26:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2019-11-08T17:26:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #17418: Build: add REPO_SLUG to fix errors in forked builds (master...repo-slug) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17418
264 2019-11-08T17:26:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2019-11-08T17:30:50  *** shesek has quit IRC
266 2019-11-08T17:31:50  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2019-11-08T17:31:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] RandyMcMillan closed pull request #17389: build: add background.tiff and .pngs to "make clean" (master...make-clean-tiff) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17389
268 2019-11-08T17:31:51  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2019-11-08T17:35:17  *** sipsorcery has quit IRC
270 2019-11-08T17:36:28  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2019-11-08T17:36:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #17420: travis: Rework CACHE_ERR_MSG (master...1911-docTravis) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17420
272 2019-11-08T17:36:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2019-11-08T17:38:09  *** timothy has quit IRC
274 2019-11-08T17:40:43  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2019-11-08T17:40:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar closed pull request #17332: p2p: Proof-of-concept: Improve DoS-resistance to low-work headers chains (master...2019-10-no-checkpoints-cleanedup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17332
276 2019-11-08T17:40:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2019-11-08T17:41:22  *** sipsorcery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2019-11-08T17:51:01  *** 07IAC4NHA has quit IRC
279 2019-11-08T17:59:46  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
280 2019-11-08T18:00:01  *** zleap has quit IRC
281 2019-11-08T18:06:32  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
282 2019-11-08T18:06:46  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
283 2019-11-08T18:08:21  *** b10c has quit IRC
284 2019-11-08T18:12:22  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2019-11-08T18:17:26  *** rex4539 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
286 2019-11-08T18:17:34  *** suriro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
287 2019-11-08T18:17:52  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
288 2019-11-08T18:20:58  *** rex4539 has quit IRC
289 2019-11-08T18:26:20  *** b10c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2019-11-08T18:38:13  *** Sk8M8_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2019-11-08T18:41:27  *** Sk8M8 has quit IRC
292 2019-11-08T18:41:43  *** b10c has quit IRC
293 2019-11-08T18:47:17  *** b10c has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2019-11-08T18:48:05  *** JamesAU has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2019-11-08T18:55:39  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
296 2019-11-08T18:56:20  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2019-11-08T18:56:52  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
298 2019-11-08T18:58:37  *** alko89 has quit IRC
299 2019-11-08T18:58:38  *** ddustin has quit IRC
300 2019-11-08T18:59:03  *** Zenton has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2019-11-08T18:59:15  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2019-11-08T18:59:35  *** Tennis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2019-11-08T19:00:13  <meshcollider> #startmeeting
304 2019-11-08T19:00:13  <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Nov  8 19:00:13 2019 UTC.  The chair is meshcollider. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
305 2019-11-08T19:00:13  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
306 2019-11-08T19:00:19  <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball
307 2019-11-08T19:00:30  <achow101> hi
308 2019-11-08T19:00:31  <jonatack> hi
309 2019-11-08T19:00:31  <kanzure> hi
310 2019-11-08T19:00:37  <meshcollider> Topics?
311 2019-11-08T19:00:47  <jnewbery> hi
312 2019-11-08T19:00:59  <achow101> how goes the wallet boxes review?
313 2019-11-08T19:01:12  *** ddustin_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2019-11-08T19:02:09  <jonatack> Suggested topic: deprecating getaddressinfo label in favor of labels, and adding multiple labels associated with an address (currently only one)
315 2019-11-08T19:02:13  <phantomcircuit> hi
316 2019-11-08T19:03:31  <achow101> jonatack: is it useful to have multiple labels with an address?
317 2019-11-08T19:03:31  *** ddustin has quit IRC
318 2019-11-08T19:03:57  <meshcollider> #topic deprecating getsddressinfo label (jonatack)
319 2019-11-08T19:04:01  <instagibbs> oh yeah, clocks changed
320 2019-11-08T19:04:02  <jonatack> achow101: it seems to have been planned to be done
321 2019-11-08T19:04:20  <jonatack> being the reason for adding the labels field?
322 2019-11-08T19:04:31  <jonatack> in addition to the label field
323 2019-11-08T19:04:47  <jonatack> which causes app developer confusion
324 2019-11-08T19:04:54  <jonatack> see rationale in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17283/
325 2019-11-08T19:05:18  <achow101> oh, i see
326 2019-11-08T19:05:20  <jonatack> app devs wonder which field should be consumed, label or labels[]
327 2019-11-08T19:05:43  *** ddustin_ has quit IRC
328 2019-11-08T19:05:54  *** lightlike has quit IRC
329 2019-11-08T19:06:16  <sipa> oh
330 2019-11-08T19:06:41  <meshcollider> I didn't even notice labels was added
331 2019-11-08T19:07:06  <luke-jr> me either
332 2019-11-08T19:07:14  <jonatack> was added by jnewbery i believe? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12892
333 2019-11-08T19:07:38  <jonatack> er, label
334 2019-11-08T19:08:07  <jonatack> right, label[] has no tests, so added in 17283
335 2019-11-08T19:08:17  <jonatack> labels[]*
336 2019-11-08T19:08:43  <achow101> ack deprecating label
337 2019-11-08T19:08:48  <sipa> is there a use case for having multiple labels per address?
338 2019-11-08T19:09:07  <meshcollider> jnewbery: what use case did you have in mind
339 2019-11-08T19:09:09  <sipa> i don't object, but just because we merged an API that is extensible enough to support it doesn't mean it's needed
340 2019-11-08T19:09:31  <sipa> as in: support can be added whenever there is a use case for it
341 2019-11-08T19:09:32  <jnewbery> meshcollider: just refreshing my memory now!
342 2019-11-08T19:10:31  <jnewbery> logically to me, it makes sense to be able to associate multiple labels to an address
343 2019-11-08T19:10:51  <jnewbery> From 12892: "labels are
344 2019-11-08T19:10:51  <jnewbery> associated with addresses, instead of addresses associated with labels. (unlike
345 2019-11-08T19:10:54  <jnewbery> with accounts.)"
346 2019-11-08T19:11:27  <jnewbery> I picked up that work from an older wumpus PR, and I can't remember all the details right now
347 2019-11-08T19:11:33  <luke-jr> I mean, it makes sense if people want to do short labels like GitHub does for PRs
348 2019-11-08T19:11:33  <jonatack> some reasons in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12892#issuecomment-379016369
349 2019-11-08T19:11:37  <jnewbery> I'll review jonatack's suggested changes in #17283
350 2019-11-08T19:11:39  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17283 | rpc: improve getaddressinfo test coverage, help, code docs by jonatack · Pull Request #17283 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
351 2019-11-08T19:11:46  <meshcollider> Yeah that's true actually
352 2019-11-08T19:11:59  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
353 2019-11-08T19:12:04  <luke-jr> when I do my taxes, I take the label and match multiple regexs to extract metadata - having separate labels could simplify it
354 2019-11-08T19:12:16  <meshcollider> if it's not an enormous change to support multiple labels then concept ack
355 2019-11-08T19:12:25  <luke-jr> that being said, there is always a primary label, so maybe we should keep / should have kept it
356 2019-11-08T19:12:41  <jnewbery> There's no concept of a primary label
357 2019-11-08T19:12:43  <luke-jr> eg, "bought my pet hamster" isn't likely to have more than one tx
358 2019-11-08T19:12:51  <luke-jr> jnewbery: maybe there should be
359 2019-11-08T19:13:43  <meshcollider> Depends if label is for categorising or label is for describing I guess
360 2019-11-08T19:13:56  *** jb55 has quit IRC
361 2019-11-08T19:14:26  <luke-jr> I've always used it for the latter, with the former thrown in
362 2019-11-08T19:14:48  <luke-jr> categories without a description has limited usability
363 2019-11-08T19:15:23  <luke-jr> I'd suggest instead a "notes" with the description part, but .. we've had label for years
364 2019-11-08T19:15:24  <jnewbery> jonatack: I'll take a look at the PR and give concept feedback
365 2019-11-08T19:15:36  <jonatack> luke-jr: say, ability to designate one of the labels as a primary, and one only?
366 2019-11-08T19:15:38  <achow101> I think having multiple labls would be somewhat invasive due to all of the legacy accounts stuff associated with labels
367 2019-11-08T19:15:53  <jonatack> jnewbery: ty
368 2019-11-08T19:16:34  <meshcollider> I mean, I don't think it matters if the distinction is in the code. Supporting multiple labels allows the user to do whatever they like with them, I don't think it needs a "primary" one
369 2019-11-08T19:17:31  <meshcollider> Ok yeah this can be discussed in the PR
370 2019-11-08T19:17:43  <meshcollider> Other topics?
371 2019-11-08T19:17:44  <jonatack> a) it seems we should decide re multiple labels before deprecating
372 2019-11-08T19:17:56  <luke-jr> jonatack: maybe
373 2019-11-08T19:18:06  <luke-jr> achow101: maybe rename "labels" to "tags"?
374 2019-11-08T19:18:17  <jonatack> b) back to a) :D
375 2019-11-08T19:18:21  <meshcollider> Please not another rename lol
376 2019-11-08T19:19:04  <luke-jr> what's the "labels" PR?
377 2019-11-08T19:19:14  <sipa> #12892
378 2019-11-08T19:19:17  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12892 | [wallet] [rpc] introduce label API for wallet by jnewbery · Pull Request #12892 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
379 2019-11-08T19:19:58  <luke-jr> PR description doesn't suggest it does that.. :/
380 2019-11-08T19:21:33  <achow101> luke-jr: i don't think there's a PR yet
381 2019-11-08T19:21:38  <luke-jr> ok, so it adds a "labels" array with only one possible value
382 2019-11-08T19:21:53  <jnewbery> next topic?
383 2019-11-08T19:22:19  <meshcollider> achow101: is there anything you want to discuss about boxes or just review beg?
384 2019-11-08T19:22:30  <achow101> review beg
385 2019-11-08T19:22:40  <jonatack> (yes it is indeed https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12892 despite the PR name)
386 2019-11-08T19:23:02  <jonatack> luke-jr: right
387 2019-11-08T19:23:28  <meshcollider> #16944 is finally nearly ready too which is nice, hopefully we can get it in after provoostenator rebases
388 2019-11-08T19:23:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16944 | gui: create PSBT with watch-only wallet by Sjors · Pull Request #16944 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
389 2019-11-08T19:24:44  <meshcollider> Alright no other topics then :)
390 2019-11-08T19:24:49  <meshcollider> #endmeeting
391 2019-11-08T19:24:49  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Fri Nov  8 19:24:49 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
392 2019-11-08T19:24:49  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-11-08-19.00.html
393 2019-11-08T19:24:49  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-11-08-19.00.txt
394 2019-11-08T19:24:49  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2019/bitcoin-core-dev.2019-11-08-19.00.log.html
395 2019-11-08T19:26:08  <jnewbery> thanks for merging 15931 meshcollider!
396 2019-11-08T19:26:26  <jnewbery> next one in that sequence is #16426, which ariard can rebase now
397 2019-11-08T19:26:28  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16426 | Reverse cs_main, cs_wallet lock order and reduce cs_main locking by ariard · Pull Request #16426 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
398 2019-11-08T19:26:53  <jnewbery> it's a really fun change to reverse the cs_main-cs_wallet lock order
399 2019-11-08T19:26:56  <jonatack> achow101: review beg for https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17261 ?
400 2019-11-08T19:27:20  <meshcollider> jonatack: review beg for all his open wallet PRs :p
401 2019-11-08T19:27:45  <achow101> #17373
402 2019-11-08T19:27:47  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17373 | wallet: Various fixes and cleanup to keypool handling in LegacyScriptPubKeyMan and CWallet by achow101 · Pull Request #17373 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
403 2019-11-08T19:28:08  <meshcollider> jnewbery: sounds good, review beg for that too then
404 2019-11-08T19:28:21  <jonatack> thanks
405 2019-11-08T19:28:36  <achow101> it'd be nice to merge these so I don't have to rebase the same PRs every day
406 2019-11-08T19:29:22  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
407 2019-11-08T19:32:21  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
408 2019-11-08T19:33:03  <ryanofsky> i have never understood what "labels are associated with addresses, instead of addresses associated with labels" means
409 2019-11-08T19:33:27  <ryanofsky> "bob is associated with mary, but mary is not associated with bob." huh?
410 2019-11-08T19:34:32  <meshcollider> It means it's not bijective, there is no well defined label -> address map
411 2019-11-08T19:35:14  <meshcollider> Because multiple addresses can have the same label
412 2019-11-08T19:35:31  <sipa> meshcollider: that was the case with accounts too
413 2019-11-08T19:35:42  <meshcollider> Yeah
414 2019-11-08T19:36:00  <jnewbery> one address couldn't have multiple accounts. It was always intended that one address could have multiple labels
415 2019-11-08T19:36:03  <sipa> i always assumed it meant "you should think as labels being the property of an address" rather than "a label is a collection of addresses"
416 2019-11-08T19:36:46  <jnewbery> sipa: +1
417 2019-11-08T19:38:00  <ryanofsky> so "X is associated with Y" means "a Y can only have one X"
418 2019-11-08T19:38:25  <meshcollider> Who knows, associated probably isn't the best word
419 2019-11-08T19:38:25  <jnewbery> ryanofsky: if the 'associated with' doesn't make sense for you, just use sipa's definition
420 2019-11-08T19:39:47  <ryanofsky> of course, yeah, i was just wondering how that associated thing that i see repeated made sense to anyone
421 2019-11-08T19:41:28  <jnewbery> I copied it in my PR descript from wumpus's original PR because it made sense to me, but I don't think it's used in any user-facing documentation
422 2019-11-08T19:41:29  <jonatack> I saw it as analogous to relational databases: has one relation vs belongs to relation
423 2019-11-08T19:41:35  <jnewbery> release notes are here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/8021392b825c74312173f15eb937ba6d4aec3841/doc/release-notes/release-notes-0.17.0.md#L149
424 2019-11-08T19:43:23  *** b10c has quit IRC
425 2019-11-08T19:43:40  <jamesob> sounds like an indexing thing: you can look up the labels associated with an address easily, but you cannot look up the addresses associated with a label easily (even though in reality it's probably quick to build that index ad hoc depending on the size of the wallet)
426 2019-11-08T19:44:00  <luke-jr> jamesob: that's the technical side
427 2019-11-08T19:44:16  <luke-jr> on the abstract side, a label isn't a container; it doesn't "have" transactions/addresses
428 2019-11-08T19:44:20  <luke-jr> it's a property of those transactions
429 2019-11-08T19:44:41  <luke-jr> so you can conceptually search for all transactiosn with a label, but not view the contents of a label
430 2019-11-08T19:45:22  <jamesob> curious, what're the contents of a label if not the associated txns?
431 2019-11-08T19:45:27  <jnewbery> luke-jr: yep, labels don't have a balance
432 2019-11-08T19:45:28  <luke-jr> there are no contents, that's the point
433 2019-11-08T19:45:40  <jamesob> gotcha
434 2019-11-08T19:45:52  <luke-jr> it's like putting a sticker on something
435 2019-11-08T19:46:09  <luke-jr> sure, you can find all objects with the sticker, but asking for the contents of such a sticker is silly
436 2019-11-08T19:48:43  <meshcollider> So a sticker is associated with the thing it's stuck on, but the thing it's stuck on isn't associated with the  sticker
437 2019-11-08T19:54:30  *** Sk8M8 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
438 2019-11-08T19:58:20  *** ddustin has quit IRC
439 2019-11-08T19:58:20  *** Sk8M8_ has quit IRC
440 2019-11-08T20:12:09  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
441 2019-11-08T20:12:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to 0.19: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7358ae6d71cd...84908668a0a8
442 2019-11-08T20:12:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 2a15679 fanquake: doc: reintegrate release notes from wiki
443 2019-11-08T20:12:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 8bca3ce fanquake: doc: add macOS DMG opening note to release notes
444 2019-11-08T20:12:13  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 8490866 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #17403: doc: reintegrate 0.19.0 release notes
445 2019-11-08T20:12:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
446 2019-11-08T20:12:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
447 2019-11-08T20:12:30  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #17403: doc: reintegrate 0.19.0 release notes (0.19...reintegrate_relnotes_019) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17403
448 2019-11-08T20:12:30  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
449 2019-11-08T20:16:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
450 2019-11-08T20:16:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.19: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/84908668a0a8...42414bfd0547
451 2019-11-08T20:16:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 42414bf Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: set CLIENT_VERSION_RC to 0 pre-final
452 2019-11-08T20:16:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
453 2019-11-08T20:17:55  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
454 2019-11-08T20:19:37  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
455 2019-11-08T20:19:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.19.0: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.19.0
456 2019-11-08T20:19:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
457 2019-11-08T20:20:05  *** Cordia59Bahringe has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
458 2019-11-08T20:20:16  <fanquake> 🚀
459 2019-11-08T20:20:18  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
460 2019-11-08T20:22:53  <jonatack> \o/
461 2019-11-08T20:27:15  *** Cordia59Bahringe has quit IRC
462 2019-11-08T20:29:32  *** Casper39Mertz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
463 2019-11-08T20:29:38  *** davterra has quit IRC
464 2019-11-08T20:29:58  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
465 2019-11-08T20:34:47  *** andytoshi has quit IRC
466 2019-11-08T20:37:14  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
467 2019-11-08T20:37:20  *** Casper39Mertz has quit IRC
468 2019-11-08T20:40:49  *** reallll has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
469 2019-11-08T20:44:10  *** belcher has quit IRC
470 2019-11-08T20:47:31  *** Tennis has quit IRC
471 2019-11-08T20:53:43  *** andytoshi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
472 2019-11-08T20:59:01  *** reallll is now known as belcher
473 2019-11-08T21:00:02  *** suriro has quit IRC
474 2019-11-08T21:04:19  <MarcoFalke> \o/
475 2019-11-08T21:04:22  <MarcoFalke> Could add the release notes to https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/release-notes/release-notes-0.19.0.md ?
476 2019-11-08T21:08:15  <wumpus> yes, that's one of the next steps, I usually do that before the uploading the binaries (e.g. after the gitian process), but it doesn't really matter if it's a little sooner I guess
477 2019-11-08T21:10:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
478 2019-11-08T21:10:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/8021392b825c...9e0aabe50cbb
479 2019-11-08T21:10:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa56bcb MarcoFalke: ci: Run CI_WAIT only on travis
480 2019-11-08T21:10:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa8a60b MarcoFalke: ci: Run non-cross-compile builds natively
481 2019-11-08T21:10:05  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faf757a MarcoFalke: ci: Guess the native host when not cross compiling
482 2019-11-08T21:10:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
483 2019-11-08T21:10:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
484 2019-11-08T21:10:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #17367: ci: Run non-cross-compile builds natively (master...1911-ciNative) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17367
485 2019-11-08T21:10:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
486 2019-11-08T21:14:51  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
487 2019-11-08T21:15:44  *** Sk8M8_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
488 2019-11-08T21:18:37  *** Sk8M8 has quit IRC
489 2019-11-08T21:19:20  <fanquake> wumpus I'll save you the trouble
490 2019-11-08T21:21:24  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
491 2019-11-08T21:21:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #17422: doc: add historical 0.19.0 release notes (master...add_019_relnotes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17422
492 2019-11-08T21:21:30  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
493 2019-11-08T21:24:37  *** Sk8M8_ has quit IRC
494 2019-11-08T21:32:56  <wumpus> fanquake: thanks!
495 2019-11-08T21:37:33  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
496 2019-11-08T21:44:30  *** StopAndDecrypt has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
497 2019-11-08T21:50:00  *** tomatopotato has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
498 2019-11-08T21:51:22  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
499 2019-11-08T22:00:15  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
500 2019-11-08T22:02:48  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
501 2019-11-08T22:06:01  <jnewbery> wumpus fanquake MarcoFalke: I think #15934 is ready for merge. ACKs on the head commit 083c954 from ariard, jamesob and jnewbery. Also ACKs on previous versions from fjahr and jonatack.
502 2019-11-08T22:06:05  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15934 | Merge settings one place instead of five places by ryanofsky · Pull Request #15934 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
503 2019-11-08T22:09:40  <jamesob> not to mention 15934 is tested to death
504 2019-11-08T22:12:51  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
505 2019-11-08T22:16:33  *** jtimon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
506 2019-11-08T22:17:14  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
507 2019-11-08T22:19:02  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
508 2019-11-08T22:21:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
509 2019-11-08T22:21:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9e0aabe50cbb...adceca2ba56a
510 2019-11-08T22:21:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fec230e fanquake: doc: add historical 0.19.0 release notes
511 2019-11-08T22:21:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master adceca2 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #17422: doc: add historical 0.19.0 release notes
512 2019-11-08T22:21:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
513 2019-11-08T22:21:43  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
514 2019-11-08T22:21:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #17422: doc: add historical 0.19.0 release notes (master...add_019_relnotes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17422
515 2019-11-08T22:21:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
516 2019-11-08T22:23:37  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
517 2019-11-08T22:23:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 7 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/adceca2ba56a...a7aec7ad9794
518 2019-11-08T22:23:40  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master dc8e1e7 Russell Yanofsky: Clarify emptyIncludeConf logic
519 2019-11-08T22:23:41  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5a84aa8 Russell Yanofsky: Rename includeconf variables for clarity
520 2019-11-08T22:23:43  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e2e37cf Russell Yanofsky: Remove includeconf nested scope
521 2019-11-08T22:23:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
522 2019-11-08T22:24:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
523 2019-11-08T22:24:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #15934: Merge settings one place instead of five places (master...pr/mergeset) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15934
524 2019-11-08T22:24:23  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
525 2019-11-08T22:26:02  <jnewbery> thanks wumpus!
526 2019-11-08T22:28:39  <wumpus> thanks for improving the horror that is bitcoin core option parsing a bit :)
527 2019-11-08T22:29:24  <midnight> inb4 option parsing gets its own scripting language
528 2019-11-08T22:33:24  <wumpus> midnight: hah, I know you're joking, but I don't think a lack of flexibility was ever the problem, just that the code is a mess and problems are silently ignored... but also we've come a long way from #1044
529 2019-11-08T22:33:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1044 | Problems with command-line options silently ignored · Issue #1044 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
530 2019-11-08T22:35:18  * jamesob waits for TheBlueMatt to suggest porting options parsing to rust
531 2019-11-08T22:35:39  <wumpus> it's, a good lesson for new projects, get these things designed well in the first release, if not you're going to spend years cleaning up the mess while competing with PRs that add functionality etc
532 2019-11-08T22:38:17  <wumpus> jamesob: lol
533 2019-11-08T22:39:37  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
534 2019-11-08T22:39:37  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #17423: ci: Make ci system read-only on the git work tree (master...1911-ciRo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17423
535 2019-11-08T22:39:38  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
536 2019-11-08T22:47:57  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
537 2019-11-08T22:52:57  *** jarthur has quit IRC
538 2019-11-08T22:54:15  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
539 2019-11-08T22:55:35  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
540 2019-11-08T22:56:20  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
541 2019-11-08T22:56:23  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
542 2019-11-08T23:01:51  *** murrayn has quit IRC
543 2019-11-08T23:05:56  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
544 2019-11-08T23:11:06  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
545 2019-11-08T23:16:51  *** jungly has quit IRC
546 2019-11-08T23:26:08  <harding> FYI, BitcoinCore.org isn't updating when new commits are merged.  I DM'd BlueMatt a while ago, but I guess he's not around.  I'm not sure who else has access to the server to debug it (this happens from time to time, but I'm not sure what can BlueMatt usually kicks to get things restarted).
547 2019-11-08T23:33:45  <midnight> wumpus: Only half joking. Complex options are heading that way, it seems to me. At some point *behaviour* of programs with complex options it seems to me might be helpful to be reactive or capable of simple decision-making
548 2019-11-08T23:34:30  * midnight shudders at the future
549 2019-11-08T23:38:15  <wumpus> harding: strange, I don't have access immediately either but probably we need to poke whatever does updates
550 2019-11-08T23:39:58  <emilengler> harding: Btw why is bitcoincore.org not hosted at github
551 2019-11-08T23:40:16  <harding> BlueMatt: is looking into it now.
552 2019-11-08T23:40:42  <wumpus> emilengler: cuuursed idea
553 2019-11-08T23:41:08  <emilengler> What's wrong with GH pages? It adds an extra layer of transparency
554 2019-11-08T23:41:18  <emilengler> Well you can't really do server side stuff though
555 2019-11-08T23:42:28  <sipa> emilengler: we really don't want to rely on github's security for distribution of binaries
556 2019-11-08T23:43:12  <sipa> if anything, the degree to which we depend on github already is scary
557 2019-11-08T23:43:16  <wumpus> midnight: I don't know, I dont' think *that* is so bad with bitcoin core. I do have experiences like that with things like printer settings though, where the software tries to 'intelligently' guess what your're trying to do, correcting for some settings, so at some point you need to make second-order guesses so that the software will make the correct guess and eventually send the right value to the
558 2019-11-08T23:43:18  <wumpus> hardware
559 2019-11-08T23:43:42  <emilengler> sipa: +1 but GH can't fake PGP signatures and if the users aren't verifying it it is pretty much their own fault IMO
560 2019-11-08T23:44:27  <sipa> emilengler: whether you like it or not, reality is that very few users verify PGP signatures
561 2019-11-08T23:45:35  <harding> emilengler: I don't have any data on BitcoinCore.org, but back when the binaries were exclusively hosted on Bitcoin.org, there was less than 1% as many downloads of SHA256SUMS.asc than there was of the binary files.
562 2019-11-08T23:45:44  <wumpus> but no, we're not going to trust github for hosting the website as well as hosting the repository
563 2019-11-08T23:45:56  <wumpus> one thing is enough
564 2019-11-08T23:46:04  <emilengler> Btw why isn't the repo hosted on the server then
565 2019-11-08T23:46:09  <wumpus> probably too much, anyhow, but let's not argue for making things worse
566 2019-11-08T23:46:15  <emilengler> ok
567 2019-11-08T23:47:03  <wumpus> in a far future I'm imagine we can reduce our dependency on github.com, but we're at least not trying to increase it
568 2019-11-08T23:49:24  <wumpus> (and yes, the bitcoincore.org server update verifies GPG signatures on commits independently, so someone compromising the github repository doesn't automatically compromise the website)
569 2019-11-08T23:52:52  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
570 2019-11-08T23:56:44  <midnight> neat
571 2019-11-08T23:57:15  <midnight> I verify PGP signatures (most of the time!)