1 2020-06-05T00:00:02  *** Fiver has quit IRC
  2 2020-06-05T00:01:14  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
  3 2020-06-05T00:03:08  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2020-06-05T00:06:47  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2020-06-05T00:11:28  *** TheFuzzStone[m] has quit IRC
  6 2020-06-05T00:14:31  *** yevaud` has quit IRC
  7 2020-06-05T00:14:49  *** yevaud has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2020-06-05T00:16:47  *** TheFuzzStone[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  9 2020-06-05T00:21:52  *** EricYuzo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2020-06-05T00:23:50  *** mol_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 11 2020-06-05T00:26:17  *** mol has quit IRC
 12 2020-06-05T00:27:08  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 13 2020-06-05T00:27:45  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 14 2020-06-05T00:32:38  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 15 2020-06-05T00:40:39  *** Relis has quit IRC
 16 2020-06-05T00:46:40  *** bitdex has quit IRC
 17 2020-06-05T01:07:02  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 18 2020-06-05T01:07:03  *** morcos has quit IRC
 19 2020-06-05T01:12:39  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 20 2020-06-05T01:13:29  *** Relis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2020-06-05T01:18:36  *** bitdex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 22 2020-06-05T01:22:04  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
 23 2020-06-05T01:22:31  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2020-06-05T01:25:11  *** ghost43_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2020-06-05T01:25:23  *** ghost43 has quit IRC
 26 2020-06-05T01:26:57  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
 27 2020-06-05T01:28:39  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2020-06-05T01:40:05  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 29 2020-06-05T01:40:29  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
 30 2020-06-05T01:40:41  *** Relis has quit IRC
 31 2020-06-05T01:40:56  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2020-06-05T01:42:20  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2020-06-05T01:45:09  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
 34 2020-06-05T01:50:48  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2020-06-05T01:51:19  *** Mercury_Vapor has quit IRC
 36 2020-06-05T02:07:58  *** nejon has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 37 2020-06-05T02:14:33  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 38 2020-06-05T02:20:09  *** Relis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2020-06-05T02:21:54  *** ghost43_ has quit IRC
 40 2020-06-05T02:22:01  *** Relis has quit IRC
 41 2020-06-05T02:22:11  *** ghost43 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2020-06-05T02:23:04  *** Relis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2020-06-05T02:33:23  *** Drew has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 44 2020-06-05T02:33:47  *** Drew is now known as Guest5942
 45 2020-06-05T03:00:02  *** EricYuzo has quit IRC
 46 2020-06-05T03:01:04  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
 47 2020-06-05T03:02:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2020-06-05T03:02:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/01b45b2e016f...4ede05d421e7
 49 2020-06-05T03:02:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faa958b MarcoFalke: txindex: Remove unused boost/thread
 50 2020-06-05T03:02:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fad8c89 MarcoFalke: txdb: Remove unused boost/thread
 51 2020-06-05T03:02:13  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 89f9fef Hennadii Stepanov: refactor: Specify boost/thread/thread.hpp explicitly
 52 2020-06-05T03:02:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 53 2020-06-05T03:02:20  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2020-06-05T03:02:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2020-06-05T03:02:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #18758: Remove unused boost/thread (master...2004-noBoostThread) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18758
 56 2020-06-05T03:02:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 57 2020-06-05T03:03:08  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 58 2020-06-05T03:04:25  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2020-06-05T03:22:20  *** Hande has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 60 2020-06-05T03:35:33  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 61 2020-06-05T03:53:02  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2020-06-05T03:54:06  *** Eagle[TM] has quit IRC
 63 2020-06-05T04:10:33  *** MM77788811 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2020-06-05T04:12:16  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2020-06-05T04:13:13  *** jarthur has quit IRC
 66 2020-06-05T04:13:43  <MM77788811> What's the minimum gcc/clang version to build bitcoin? I didn't find this info in the repo.
 67 2020-06-05T04:16:15  <sipa> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/dependencies.md
 68 2020-06-05T04:16:23  <sipa> gcc 4.8, clang 3.3
 69 2020-06-05T04:20:16  <fanquake> Note that it's actually 5.1 if you're doing a Windows cross compile
 70 2020-06-05T04:20:31  *** vasild_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2020-06-05T04:20:35  <fanquake> Although this will be irrelevant once we require c++17
 72 2020-06-05T04:21:43  *** Relis has quit IRC
 73 2020-06-05T04:23:24  *** vasild has quit IRC
 74 2020-06-05T04:23:24  *** vasild_ is now known as vasild
 75 2020-06-05T04:24:11  <MM77788811> Thanks sipa
 76 2020-06-05T04:25:44  <MM77788811> When will we allow to use C++17 features?
 77 2020-06-05T04:26:08  <sipa> optional ones in 0.21
 78 2020-06-05T04:26:19  <sipa> relying on c++17 features in 0.22
 79 2020-06-05T04:26:27  <fanquake> Discussion in #16684
 80 2020-06-05T04:26:29  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16684 | Discussion: upgrading to C++17 · Issue #16684 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 81 2020-06-05T04:26:37  <sipa> (e.g. the fuzzers currently already require c++17)
 82 2020-06-05T04:27:22  <sipa> the current codebase is compiled and tested on both c++11 and c++17
 83 2020-06-05T04:30:29  <MM77788811> awesome! Thanks for the link gribble, I'm going to give it a read.
 84 2020-06-05T04:31:03  *** morcos has quit IRC
 85 2020-06-05T04:33:48  <sipa> gribble is a bot ;)
 86 2020-06-05T04:35:44  *** dviola has quit IRC
 87 2020-06-05T04:36:46  <aj> MM77788811 probably just doesn't want to be first against the wall come the robot revolution
 88 2020-06-05T04:36:58  <MM77788811> 😅
 89 2020-06-05T04:37:05  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 90 2020-06-05T04:37:36  <sipa> ah, the marketing department of the sirius cybernetics corportion
 91 2020-06-05T04:41:44  <MM77788811> I'm really polite to my Alexa too, thank her whenever she did something right.
 92 2020-06-05T04:43:15  *** mol_ has quit IRC
 93 2020-06-05T04:43:46  *** mol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2020-06-05T04:45:45  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 95 2020-06-05T04:51:06  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 96 2020-06-05T04:52:24  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 97 2020-06-05T04:53:50  *** MM77788811 has quit IRC
 98 2020-06-05T05:10:15  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
 99 2020-06-05T05:10:42  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
100 2020-06-05T05:15:22  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
101 2020-06-05T06:00:02  *** Hande has quit IRC
102 2020-06-05T06:09:50  *** mmitech_ has quit IRC
103 2020-06-05T06:09:59  *** mmitech_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
104 2020-06-05T06:13:43  *** Livestradamus_ has quit IRC
105 2020-06-05T06:14:03  *** Livestradamus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
106 2020-06-05T06:15:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
107 2020-06-05T06:15:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #19172: test: Do not swallow flake8 exit code (master...200605-mypy) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19172
108 2020-06-05T06:15:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
109 2020-06-05T06:21:00  *** porygon2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
110 2020-06-05T06:24:28  *** mol_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2020-06-05T06:25:31  *** mol has quit IRC
112 2020-06-05T06:29:45  *** mol_ has quit IRC
113 2020-06-05T06:43:00  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
114 2020-06-05T06:49:35  *** clash has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
115 2020-06-05T06:58:01  *** clash has left #bitcoin-core-dev
116 2020-06-05T07:00:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
117 2020-06-05T07:00:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli closed pull request #13389: Utils and libraries: Fix #13371 - move umask operation earlier in AppInit() (master...13371) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13389
118 2020-06-05T07:00:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
119 2020-06-05T07:16:43  *** bitdex has quit IRC
120 2020-06-05T07:17:05  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
121 2020-06-05T07:18:59  *** bitdex has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
122 2020-06-05T07:19:20  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
123 2020-06-05T07:19:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4ede05d421e7...7f9800caf90d
124 2020-06-05T07:19:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f30960a João Barbosa: gui: Add closeAllWallets to WalletController
125 2020-06-05T07:19:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c4b5748 João Barbosa: gui: Add Close All Wallets action
126 2020-06-05T07:19:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7f9800c Jonas Schnelli: Merge #15202: gui: Add Close All Wallets action
127 2020-06-05T07:19:29  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
128 2020-06-05T07:20:55  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2020-06-05T07:20:56  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #15202: gui: Add Close All Wallets action (master...2019-01-closeallwallets) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15202
130 2020-06-05T07:20:56  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
131 2020-06-05T07:26:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2020-06-05T07:26:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7f9800caf90d...f4f222045693
133 2020-06-05T07:26:19  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f46b678 Vasil Dimov: qt: lock cs_main, m_cached_tip_mutex in that order
134 2020-06-05T07:26:20  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f4f2220 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #19132: qt: lock cs_main, m_cached_tip_mutex in that order
135 2020-06-05T07:26:22  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
136 2020-06-05T07:26:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
137 2020-06-05T07:26:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #19132: qt: lock cs_main, m_cached_tip_mutex in that order (master...lock_order_m_cached_tip_mutex) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19132
138 2020-06-05T07:26:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
139 2020-06-05T07:55:25  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
140 2020-06-05T07:55:51  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2020-06-05T08:08:37  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
142 2020-06-05T08:13:39  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
143 2020-06-05T08:15:24  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
144 2020-06-05T08:18:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
145 2020-06-05T08:18:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f4f222045693...b55b5b6c3d93
146 2020-06-05T08:18:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa7e002 MarcoFalke: ci: tsan with wallet
147 2020-06-05T08:18:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b55b5b6 fanquake: Merge #19164: ci: tsan with wallet
148 2020-06-05T08:18:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
149 2020-06-05T08:18:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2020-06-05T08:18:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #19164: ci: tsan with wallet (master...2006-ciTsanWallet) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19164
151 2020-06-05T08:18:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2020-06-05T08:20:24  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2020-06-05T08:26:08  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
154 2020-06-05T08:28:29  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2020-06-05T08:35:18  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2020-06-05T08:35:28  *** mol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2020-06-05T08:56:15  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
158 2020-06-05T09:00:02  *** porygon2 has quit IRC
159 2020-06-05T09:11:15  *** jb55 has quit IRC
160 2020-06-05T09:21:05  *** Eric-K has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
161 2020-06-05T09:21:07  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
162 2020-06-05T09:27:37  *** morcos has quit IRC
163 2020-06-05T09:27:52  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
164 2020-06-05T09:53:43  *** davec has quit IRC
165 2020-06-05T09:54:29  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2020-06-05T09:54:29  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] vasild opened pull request #19173: build: turn on --enable-c++17 by --enable-fuzz (master...enable_c++17_by_fuzz) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19173
167 2020-06-05T09:54:30  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2020-06-05T10:00:33  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
169 2020-06-05T10:03:21  *** Amara54King has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2020-06-05T10:09:09  *** davec has quit IRC
171 2020-06-05T10:10:12  *** Amara54King has quit IRC
172 2020-06-05T10:14:00  *** dfmb_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2020-06-05T10:20:46  *** davec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2020-06-05T10:25:31  *** Relis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2020-06-05T10:39:32  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2020-06-05T10:42:36  *** morcos has quit IRC
177 2020-06-05T10:48:54  *** morcos has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2020-06-05T11:17:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2020-06-05T11:17:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b55b5b6c3d93...aa35ea55021d
180 2020-06-05T11:17:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0012471 Vasil Dimov: build: turn on --enable-c++17 by --enable-fuzz
181 2020-06-05T11:17:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master aa35ea5 MarcoFalke: Merge #19173: build: turn on --enable-c++17 by --enable-fuzz
182 2020-06-05T11:17:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2020-06-05T11:17:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
184 2020-06-05T11:17:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #19173: build: turn on --enable-c++17 by --enable-fuzz (master...enable_c++17_by_fuzz) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19173
185 2020-06-05T11:17:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2020-06-05T11:21:02  *** jonatack has quit IRC
187 2020-06-05T11:26:02  *** baldur has quit IRC
188 2020-06-05T11:30:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
189 2020-06-05T11:30:11  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] theStack opened pull request #19174: refactor: replace CConnman/BanMan pointers by references in net_processing.cpp (master...20200602-refactor-use-cconnman-references-within-net_processing) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19174
190 2020-06-05T11:30:12  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2020-06-05T11:36:38  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
192 2020-06-05T11:38:54  *** baldur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2020-06-05T11:39:59  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
194 2020-06-05T11:45:16  *** Mercury_Vapor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
195 2020-06-05T11:58:04  *** bitdex has quit IRC
196 2020-06-05T12:00:02  *** Eric-K has quit IRC
197 2020-06-05T12:20:49  *** porvak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
198 2020-06-05T12:24:09  *** Genoveva89Bauch has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2020-06-05T12:30:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2020-06-05T12:30:55  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/aa35ea55021d...0fc6ea216c00
201 2020-06-05T12:30:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e783197 Russell Yanofsky: refactor: replace RegisterWalletRPCCommands with GetWalletRPCCommands
202 2020-06-05T12:30:56  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4a7253a Russell Yanofsky: Remove g_rpc_chain global
203 2020-06-05T12:30:57  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0fc6ea2 MarcoFalke: Merge #19096: Remove g_rpc_chain global
204 2020-06-05T12:30:59  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
205 2020-06-05T12:31:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2020-06-05T12:31:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #19096: Remove g_rpc_chain global (master...pr/wc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19096
207 2020-06-05T12:31:15  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
208 2020-06-05T12:32:19  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
209 2020-06-05T12:32:19  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #19176: refactor: Error message bilingual_str consistency  (master...2020_06_bilingual_str) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19176
210 2020-06-05T12:32:20  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2020-06-05T12:34:23  *** Genoveva89Bauch has quit IRC
212 2020-06-05T12:54:13  <wumpus> it was a pretty nifty idea to make _() return a struct with both the original message and the translated one, good use of type safety
213 2020-06-05T12:57:53  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2020-06-05T13:04:07  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2020-06-05T13:14:26  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
216 2020-06-05T13:20:52  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
217 2020-06-05T13:20:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] troygiorshev opened pull request #19177: p2p: Fix and clean p2p_invalid_messages functional tests (master...p2p-refactor-fix-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19177
218 2020-06-05T13:20:53  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2020-06-05T13:59:26  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2020-06-05T13:59:27  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
221 2020-06-05T13:59:27  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
222 2020-06-05T14:16:43  *** owowo has quit IRC
223 2020-06-05T14:16:58  *** ovovo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2020-06-05T14:28:00  <vasild> I prepared a code coverage report for a PR, highlighting the lines that were modifeid by the PR: https://people.freebsd.org/~vd/pr19031_coverage_of_modified_code/src/netaddress.cpp.gcov.html#153 (or rather, the lines that are not touched by the change are dimmed).
225 2020-06-05T14:28:03  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/153 | rfc1123Time locale fix. by gavinandresen · Pull Request #153 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
226 2020-06-05T14:28:46  <vasild> This answers the question "how much of the code modified by a given PR is covered by tests?"
227 2020-06-05T14:29:42  <vasild> MarcoFalke: jonatack: ^ a few days ago we discussed this. Yes, it has the deficiency that if the PR caused the coverage to drop in some file that is not modified by the PR, that will not be shown.
228 2020-06-05T14:31:41  <vasild> Anyway this is still useful - as long as there are bright red lines (not covered and modified by the change) this means writing more tests is warranted.
229 2020-06-05T14:33:48  <vasild> Or at least some extra attention during review because some of the modified code is not tested.
230 2020-06-05T14:46:53  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2020-06-05T14:49:25  *** LarryRuane has quit IRC
232 2020-06-05T15:00:02  *** porvak has quit IRC
233 2020-06-05T15:03:27  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2020-06-05T15:03:27  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #19178: Make mininode_lock non-reentrant (master...2020-05-mininode-lock-reentrancy) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19178
235 2020-06-05T15:03:28  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2020-06-05T15:09:39  <jonatack> vasild: nice, how did you generate it
237 2020-06-05T15:11:03  *** cltrbreak_MAD2 has quit IRC
238 2020-06-05T15:11:41  *** cltrbreak_MAD2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2020-06-05T15:13:04  <vasild> jonatack: I used some python library to parse the generated HTML report and apply "opacity: 0.2;" to some lines
240 2020-06-05T15:15:29  <vasild> I will clean up a bit the scripts and put them on github
241 2020-06-05T15:16:39  *** cltrbreak_MAD2 is now known as ctrlbreak
242 2020-06-05T15:17:35  *** barrydingles has quit IRC
243 2020-06-05T15:21:38  *** Limnoria1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
244 2020-06-05T15:30:38  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
245 2020-06-05T15:31:00  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
246 2020-06-05T15:44:10  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
247 2020-06-05T15:50:41  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
248 2020-06-05T16:05:45  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2020-06-05T16:09:17  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
250 2020-06-05T16:09:59  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2020-06-05T16:15:47  *** ovovo has quit IRC
252 2020-06-05T16:20:09  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2020-06-05T16:20:30  *** vasild_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2020-06-05T16:21:12  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
255 2020-06-05T16:22:18  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
256 2020-06-05T16:23:43  *** vasild has quit IRC
257 2020-06-05T16:23:44  *** vasild_ is now known as vasild
258 2020-06-05T16:24:59  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2020-06-05T16:25:51  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
260 2020-06-05T16:25:51  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
261 2020-06-05T16:33:05  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
262 2020-06-05T16:33:34  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
263 2020-06-05T16:38:17  *** justan0theruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2020-06-05T16:39:01  *** Kiminuo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
265 2020-06-05T16:50:53  *** Deinogalerix21 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2020-06-05T16:56:24  *** Deinogalerix21 has quit IRC
267 2020-06-05T17:00:10  *** dfmb_ has quit IRC
268 2020-06-05T17:14:27  <luke-jr> fanquake: #19152 might be a backport canddiate
269 2020-06-05T17:14:30  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19152 | build: improve build OS configure output by skmcontrib · Pull Request #19152 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
270 2020-06-05T17:17:28  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
271 2020-06-05T17:18:01  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2020-06-05T17:18:27  <MarcoFalke> vasild: Nice. The "not hit, modified" is probably the most important to look out in review
273 2020-06-05T17:18:49  <MarcoFalke> Happy to throw the script on DrahtBot once it is open source
274 2020-06-05T17:23:10  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
275 2020-06-05T17:23:11  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
276 2020-06-05T17:25:27  *** justan0theruser has quit IRC
277 2020-06-05T17:27:45  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
278 2020-06-05T17:29:41  <MarcoFalke> wumpus: sipa: Would it be possible to enable cirrus ci for testing purposed on the bitcoin/bitcoin repo?
279 2020-06-05T17:30:12  <MarcoFalke> I am using them on my personal repos for more than a year and it works a lot nicer than travis
280 2020-06-05T17:31:24  <MarcoFalke> I sent an email to travis and they said that s390x and arm are "unsupported", so I think we should move on instead of throwing money at them to only reply to us that our use case is unsupported
281 2020-06-05T17:32:07  <sipa> MarcoFalke: happy to enable it; what does cirrus offer?
282 2020-06-05T17:32:32  <MarcoFalke> https://cirrus-ci.org/features/
283 2020-06-05T17:32:44  *** LarryRuane has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
284 2020-06-05T17:32:48  <MarcoFalke> 10 parallel builds for free
285 2020-06-05T17:33:06  <MarcoFalke> Up to 8 cores, 8GB of RAM
286 2020-06-05T17:33:31  <MarcoFalke> To get the same on travis with 2 CPU and 4 GB, we pay them thousands of dollars per year
287 2020-06-05T17:34:13  <sipa> heh
288 2020-06-05T17:34:29  <sipa> MarcoFalke: approved
289 2020-06-05T17:34:59  <sipa> github has pretty selective permissions apparently; this just needs read access to commits etc, and write access to the check status
290 2020-06-05T17:35:01  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2020-06-05T17:35:14  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
292 2020-06-05T17:35:14  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #19078: test: Add salvage test for wallet tool (master...2005-testWalletToolSalvage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19078
293 2020-06-05T17:35:15  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2020-06-05T17:35:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2020-06-05T17:35:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke reopened pull request #19078: test: Add salvage test for wallet tool (master...2005-testWalletToolSalvage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19078
296 2020-06-05T17:35:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2020-06-05T17:38:30  <phantomcircuit> sipa, historically the github permissions were super vague "read" "write" glad to see that's improving
298 2020-06-05T17:39:33  <sipa> specifically:
299 2020-06-05T17:39:38  <sipa> * Read access to code
300 2020-06-05T17:39:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
301 2020-06-05T17:39:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] DrahtBot closed pull request #19078: test: Add salvage test for wallet tool (master...2005-testWalletToolSalvage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19078
302 2020-06-05T17:39:40  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2020-06-05T17:39:44  <sipa> * Read access to files located at .cirrus.yml
304 2020-06-05T17:39:50  <sipa> * Read access to members, metadata, and pull requests
305 2020-06-05T17:39:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2020-06-05T17:39:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] DrahtBot reopened pull request #19078: test: Add salvage test for wallet tool (master...2005-testWalletToolSalvage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19078
307 2020-06-05T17:39:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
308 2020-06-05T17:39:56  <sipa> * Read and write access to checks, commit statuses, and content references
309 2020-06-05T17:40:06  <sipa> * Write access to attach content to the following external domain: cirrus-ci.com
310 2020-06-05T17:40:30  <phantomcircuit> yeah that's much better than it used to be, presumably for exactly this reason
311 2020-06-05T17:40:31  <sipa> i'm impressed it's so fine-grained
312 2020-06-05T17:42:15  <MarcoFalke> sipa: thx!
313 2020-06-05T17:46:57  *** troygiorshev has quit IRC
314 2020-06-05T17:47:12  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
315 2020-06-05T17:48:28  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
316 2020-06-05T17:49:08  *** troygiorshev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
317 2020-06-05T18:00:01  *** Limnoria1 has quit IRC
318 2020-06-05T18:07:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2020-06-05T18:07:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #19179: [WIP RFC DONOTMERGE] ci: Run ci configs on cirrus (master...2006-ciCirrus) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19179
320 2020-06-05T18:07:47  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2020-06-05T18:20:59  *** troygiorshev has quit IRC
322 2020-06-05T18:21:14  *** troygiorshev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
323 2020-06-05T18:22:02  *** patryk1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2020-06-05T18:24:48  *** troygiorshev has quit IRC
325 2020-06-05T18:25:04  *** troygiorshev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2020-06-05T18:35:01  *** LarryRuane has quit IRC
327 2020-06-05T18:41:20  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
328 2020-06-05T18:41:46  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2020-06-05T18:58:39  <fanquake> luke-jr: can do
330 2020-06-05T19:00:36  <achow101> wallet meeting?
331 2020-06-05T19:01:27  <provoostenator> I'm around, briefly
332 2020-06-05T19:02:22  <achow101> meshcollider doesn't seem to be here
333 2020-06-05T19:02:25  <achow101> #startmeeting
334 2020-06-05T19:02:25  <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Jun  5 19:02:25 2020 UTC.  The chair is achow101. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
335 2020-06-05T19:02:25  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
336 2020-06-05T19:02:52  <achow101> any topics?
337 2020-06-05T19:03:12  <provoostenator> HWW?
338 2020-06-05T19:03:19  <achow101> one thing I would like to discuss is whether we should change our signer policy for PSBTs
339 2020-06-05T19:03:22  <jonatack> hi
340 2020-06-05T19:03:25  <provoostenator> I haven't done much other than rebase, but happy to answer questions
341 2020-06-05T19:03:31  <provoostenator> Oh yeah, that's a good one.
342 2020-06-05T19:04:15  <luke-jr> achow101: presumably with a synced node, we can access the full input tx?
343 2020-06-05T19:04:19  <achow101> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james amiti fjahr jeremyrubin lightlike
344 2020-06-05T19:04:20  <achow101> emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55 elichai2
345 2020-06-05T19:04:25  <fjahr> hi
346 2020-06-05T19:04:43  <sipa> having thought about it more, i'm not sure it's worth requiring full input txn
347 2020-06-05T19:05:05  <achow101> #topic HWW (provoostenator)
348 2020-06-05T19:05:18  <achow101> any updates on that?
349 2020-06-05T19:05:43  <achow101> FYI meshcollider broke is IRC and can't send messages
350 2020-06-05T19:05:46  <provoostenator> The first PR for that is #15382
351 2020-06-05T19:05:49  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15382 | util: add runCommandParseJSON by Sjors · Pull Request #15382 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
352 2020-06-05T19:05:49  <sipa> given that the same attack model (software wallet malicious, able to make the vixtim sign twice with hww) already enables the attacker to e.g. be paid twice
353 2020-06-05T19:06:07  <provoostenator> And the meat is in #16546
354 2020-06-05T19:06:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16546 | External signer support - Wallet Box edition by Sjors · Pull Request #16546 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
355 2020-06-05T19:06:39  <achow101> so just review those?
356 2020-06-05T19:07:01  <provoostenator> achow101: yup
357 2020-06-05T19:07:15  <provoostenator> At least as a start.
358 2020-06-05T19:07:42  <achow101> cool
359 2020-06-05T19:07:51  <achow101> anything you wanted to discuss right now?
360 2020-06-05T19:08:05  <provoostenator> There's also some dependencies
361 2020-06-05T19:08:43  <provoostenator> But I think those two PR's can be reviewed mostly without worrying about these other dependencies. Just go for them if you're bored.
362 2020-06-05T19:08:59  <provoostenator> Nothing specific to discuss.
363 2020-06-05T19:09:05  <phantomcircuit> hi
364 2020-06-05T19:09:25  *** meshcoll- has quit IRC
365 2020-06-05T19:09:50  <achow101> alright
366 2020-06-05T19:10:00  <achow101> #topic Changing PSBT signer policy (achow101)
367 2020-06-05T19:10:24  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
368 2020-06-05T19:10:24  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #19180: refactor: Replace RecursiveMutex with Mutex in Shutdown() (master...200605-shutdown) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19180
369 2020-06-05T19:10:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
370 2020-06-05T19:10:28  *** meshcollider has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
371 2020-06-05T19:10:51  <achow101> So there was the whole announcement from trezor 2 days ago about the thing in segwit where a signer could be tricked into sending money into fees
372 2020-06-05T19:11:10  <achow101> and they're requiring full prevtxs (i.e. non_witness_utxo) for segwit inputs
373 2020-06-05T19:11:26  <achow101> do we want to do the same policy to protect against that attack?
374 2020-06-05T19:11:34  <meshcollider> ping
375 2020-06-05T19:11:38  <provoostenator> A less drastic measure could be for the device to remember the last couple of inputs it signed?
376 2020-06-05T19:11:38  <achow101> meshcollider: pong
377 2020-06-05T19:11:49  <achow101> it seems that sipa doesn't think so
378 2020-06-05T19:12:05  <sipa> provoostenator: i'd say that's far more drastic, but it's also the only real solution
379 2020-06-05T19:12:06  <meshcollider> Yay it's working finally
380 2020-06-05T19:12:08  <meshcollider> Sorry about that
381 2020-06-05T19:12:26  <achow101> provoostenator: I think that would require more storage than they have
382 2020-06-05T19:12:51  <luke-jr> sipa: why is just including the inputs not a solution?
383 2020-06-05T19:13:15  <sipa> luke-jr: that doesn't prevent double paying
384 2020-06-05T19:13:15  <provoostenator> Not having giant PSBT files was a nice improvement...
385 2020-06-05T19:13:24  <sipa> luke-jr: it prevents this specific attack
386 2020-06-05T19:13:55  <sipa> but it doesn't prevent the victim fr being told "your signature is invalid, try again" and then just paying the attacker twice
387 2020-06-05T19:14:06  <luke-jr> well, that's social engineering
388 2020-06-05T19:14:18  <achow101> sipa: but that would be new inputs, so remembering previous inputs wouldn't matter
389 2020-06-05T19:14:27  <luke-jr> achow101: remembering the address could
390 2020-06-05T19:14:33  <luke-jr> ie, strictly forbid address reuse
391 2020-06-05T19:14:46  <luke-jr> but social engineers can probably work around that too
392 2020-06-05T19:15:15  <provoostenator> So the attack mentioned, it doesn't matter who you were paying to? Or does the attacker have to be the recipient?
393 2020-06-05T19:15:19  <sipa> luke-jr: right, it is - but my point is that if "attacker can convince the victim to sign twice" is part of the threat model, then this attack isn't the only problem
394 2020-06-05T19:15:37  <luke-jr> hmm, true
395 2020-06-05T19:15:38  <sipa> and this specific attack can be worked around, but others can't be with stateless HWW
396 2020-06-05T19:15:44  <achow101> provoostenator: it doesn't matter. the amount lost was going to fees
397 2020-06-05T19:16:10  <provoostenator> Right, so I don't think a spend-twice bug is fully comparable
398 2020-06-05T19:16:18  <luke-jr> the recipient does need to be the same address, though, right?
399 2020-06-05T19:16:33  <gwillen> that depends on whether the victim is looking at the address
400 2020-06-05T19:16:34  <sipa> for the currently-discussed attack, yes
401 2020-06-05T19:16:52  <gwillen> we're already positing they're signing twice even though they're only sending one transaction, so it's already got a social engineering component
402 2020-06-05T19:16:52  <provoostenator> If the victim doesn't look at the address, they're toast regardless.
403 2020-06-05T19:17:16  <gwillen> but, this is true, "oops please retry" is a much smaller social-engineering ask
404 2020-06-05T19:17:30  <sipa> gwillen: than what?
405 2020-06-05T19:17:31  <provoostenator> Once your computer has the kind of the malware that can do that, it can do so many things...
406 2020-06-05T19:17:45  <luke-jr> deterministic input sorting could fix this too I think?
407 2020-06-05T19:18:00  <sipa> luke-jr: i don't think so
408 2020-06-05T19:18:06  <provoostenator> It can fool your browser, fool the UI of your wallet where you "check"  the address, mess with clipboard, alter the chain on disk.
409 2020-06-05T19:18:09  <luke-jr> provoostenator: but otoh, malware on your comnputer is what hw wallets claim to protect against
410 2020-06-05T19:18:24  <provoostenator> luke-jr: they do, but only to a limited extend
411 2020-06-05T19:18:35  <provoostenator> They can't trivially run off with your private keys
412 2020-06-05T19:18:55  <achow101> this attack already has a strong social engineering component in convincing the user to sign twice
413 2020-06-05T19:18:58  <provoostenator> But if you just let someone take over your computer long enough..
414 2020-06-05T19:20:41  <provoostenator> Would it help to store block height as a nonce?
415 2020-06-05T19:20:45  <gwillen> achow101: people are used to things like that, though, so I think most people unaware of the attack would fall for it, even if they're otherwise careful
416 2020-06-05T19:20:49  <provoostenator> nLockTime I mean
417 2020-06-05T19:20:59  <gwillen> (for example, you would have to do that if USB flaked out, probably)
418 2020-06-05T19:21:35  <gwillen> the coldcard has a big advantage if you're having to carry the transaction across by hand each time vs just spitting it over USB
419 2020-06-05T19:21:47  <gwillen> this attack really does not work in that setting
420 2020-06-05T19:22:22  <sipa> i think the only feasible solution is education really
421 2020-06-05T19:22:35  <sipa> of course fixing this specific bug is a good thing of it comes at no cost
422 2020-06-05T19:22:53  <sipa> but i'm unconvinced breaking "only need utxo to sign" is worth it
423 2020-06-05T19:23:00  <achow101> sipa: education as in educating users they should inspect their transactions before sending?
424 2020-06-05T19:23:18  <sipa> that they should be wary if they're told to retry signimg
425 2020-06-05T19:23:19  <provoostenator> For the RPC it's cheap to add an opt-in feature to fill in the UTXO for SegWit, for GUI I would find it cluttery.
426 2020-06-05T19:23:44  <sipa> oh we should add the full input tx where possible, i think
427 2020-06-05T19:23:52  <sipa> for bitcoin core this is easy to do
428 2020-06-05T19:24:03  <achow101> to be compatible with latest firmwares that fix this, we still need to add the full input tx
429 2020-06-05T19:24:17  <sipa> but i'm not sure about requiring full input tx when signing
430 2020-06-05T19:24:17  <luke-jr> add it, but don't require it to sign
431 2020-06-05T19:24:20  <achow101> this does break compatibility with previous versions of Core and HWI
432 2020-06-05T19:24:27  <luke-jr> is I think what sipa's saying
433 2020-06-05T19:24:41  <achow101> right
434 2020-06-05T19:24:46  <sipa> indeed
435 2020-06-05T19:24:53  <achow101> ack
436 2020-06-05T19:25:03  <sipa> unless we can get trezor to reverse their stance
437 2020-06-05T19:25:09  <sipa> which seems unlikely
438 2020-06-05T19:25:43  <luke-jr> it may be more likely than you assume
439 2020-06-05T19:25:59  <achow101> i believe trezor, ledger, bitbox, and coldcard have/will have the same requirement to provide the full previous tx
440 2020-06-05T19:26:16  <luke-jr> it's *possible* (but not certain) that the motive is to get another security fix released without drawing attention to it
441 2020-06-05T19:26:22  <sipa> if that happens we have no choicw to follow suit
442 2020-06-05T19:26:22  <achow101> although I think ledger does something where they allow single input segwit without full prevtx
443 2020-06-05T19:26:35  <sipa> +but
444 2020-06-05T19:26:45  <gwillen> achow101: I was under the impression that hww other than trezor were making this a user option at most
445 2020-06-05T19:27:18  <achow101> gwillen: i've been working through a bunch of trezor issues over the past couple of days, so I havnen't had the change to test out ledger's changes
446 2020-06-05T19:27:34  <achow101> coldcard hasn't published a new firmware yet but I'm told they probably will
447 2020-06-05T19:27:50  <jonatack> luke-jr: not entirely implausible given how it was handled
448 2020-06-05T19:28:39  <achow101> luke-jr: then they did a real poor job of it by giving users a good reason to not upgrade.
449 2020-06-05T19:29:26  <luke-jr> achow101: are users getting that impression?
450 2020-06-05T19:29:30  <jonatack> makes 2 recent trezor upgrades now that were better to avoid
451 2020-06-05T19:29:59  <achow101> luke-jr: yes. electrum, wasabi, and btcpay server no longer work with the new firmware. so users who want to keep using those software with their trezors are incentivized to not upgrade
452 2020-06-05T19:30:13  <provoostenator> What happens when you do add the full input tx, and give it to an non-upgrade hardware wallet?
453 2020-06-05T19:30:52  <achow101> provoostenator: usually they're fine with it. but HWI makes some assumptions about that so it makes the wrong signature
454 2020-06-05T19:31:10  <provoostenator> Updating HWI is probably the easiest part.
455 2020-06-05T19:31:20  <sipa> i have to run for a bit, will be back in 10-15 or so
456 2020-06-05T19:31:20  <achow101> provoostenator: you would think so....
457 2020-06-05T19:31:21  <provoostenator> Even if we added support for this, it'd be a while before a release / backport.
458 2020-06-05T19:32:19  <achow101> right
459 2020-06-05T19:32:22  <luke-jr> provoostenator: that's up to us
460 2020-06-05T19:32:57  <provoostenator> True
461 2020-06-05T19:33:57  <achow101> any other topics?
462 2020-06-05T19:35:57  <achow101> seems not
463 2020-06-05T19:36:00  <achow101> #endmeeting
464 2020-06-05T19:36:00  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Fri Jun  5 19:36:00 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
465 2020-06-05T19:36:00  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-06-05-19.02.html
466 2020-06-05T19:36:00  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-06-05-19.02.txt
467 2020-06-05T19:36:00  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-06-05-19.02.log.html
468 2020-06-05T19:36:06  <meshcollider> Thanks achow101
469 2020-06-05T19:41:52  *** dfmb_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
470 2020-06-05T19:45:03  *** Talkless has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
471 2020-06-05T20:05:11  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
472 2020-06-05T20:15:59  *** proofofkeags has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
473 2020-06-05T20:22:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
474 2020-06-05T20:22:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fjahr opened pull request #19181: Add ASM optimizations for MuHash3072 (master...csi-4-muhash-asm) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19181
475 2020-06-05T20:22:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
476 2020-06-05T20:27:22  <ja> fjahr: are the comments for the two versions of mulnadd3 supposed to be dufferent?
477 2020-06-05T20:29:24  <ja> fjahr: why not bind 1103717 as a macro?
478 2020-06-05T20:32:07  *** ctrlbreak has quit IRC
479 2020-06-05T20:32:35  *** ctrlbreak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
480 2020-06-05T20:37:14  <fjahr> ja: thanks, I will need to look into it tomorrow. Would you mind commenting in the PR? Would be great to have these conversations there so they don't get lostt :)
481 2020-06-05T20:39:51  <sipa> fjahr: the asm comment is wrong
482 2020-06-05T20:40:01  <sipa> c2 is assumed to be 0 at entry
483 2020-06-05T20:40:06  <sipa> not c0
484 2020-06-05T20:40:56  <fjahr> ok, will fix that
485 2020-06-05T20:41:32  <sipa> you can see that c0 is used as input and output
486 2020-06-05T20:41:37  <sipa> but c2 is only ever assigned to
487 2020-06-05T20:46:33  <fjahr> sipa: any comment on making 1103717 a macro? :)
488 2020-06-05T20:50:56  *** harrigan has quit IRC
489 2020-06-05T20:51:29  *** Talkless has quit IRC
490 2020-06-05T20:51:47  *** harrigan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
491 2020-06-05T20:54:41  <sipa> fjahr: yeah that would make sense
492 2020-06-05T20:55:16  <ja> do you want comments on only the ASM PR? or both?
493 2020-06-05T20:58:24  <fjahr> ja: I can make the changes and document it as well, no worries. Just in general it would be great of have in github so it's documented :)
494 2020-06-05T20:58:37  <fjahr> ja: thanks for reviewing!
495 2020-06-05T21:00:02  *** patryk1 has quit IRC
496 2020-06-05T21:02:57  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
497 2020-06-05T21:03:58  <promag> luke-jr: re https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19117#issuecomment-639611634
498 2020-06-05T21:04:34  <promag> > Knots for example has many RPCs before they're available in Core
499 2020-06-05T21:04:37  <promag> so?
500 2020-06-05T21:05:15  <promag> you mean that the client should be unaware if the server is core or knots?
501 2020-06-05T21:05:43  <luke-jr> promag: I mean it shouldn't artificially fail because of "too old version" if the server actually supports the RPCs it needs
502 2020-06-05T21:06:00  <luke-jr> Knots is just one example
503 2020-06-05T21:07:12  <luke-jr> I could very well see someone using stable/older bitcoind backporting specific features they need
504 2020-06-05T21:07:13  <promag> for any specific version (core@x.x.x for instance) you know what is supported
505 2020-06-05T21:07:25  <luke-jr> promag: not usually
506 2020-06-05T21:07:35  <promag> no?
507 2020-06-05T21:07:56  <luke-jr> promag: the client author would need to study each RPC server version/variant, and can never account for private backports
508 2020-06-05T21:08:46  <promag> but how does feature discovery help there?
509 2020-06-05T21:09:16  <promag> only difference is requesting that info from the server VS having that info on client side based on server version
510 2020-06-05T21:09:58  <luke-jr> promag: if you backport foobar method, help() and potentially getrpcwhitelist() will tell you foobar is supported
511 2020-06-05T21:10:37  <promag> the client should know that if he updates server from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 then foobar is available
512 2020-06-05T21:10:50  <luke-jr> no, it shouldn't
513 2020-06-05T21:10:57  <luke-jr> and someone might have 1.1.2 with foobar
514 2020-06-05T21:11:04  <promag> luke-jr: how?
515 2020-06-05T21:11:07  <luke-jr> backporting it
516 2020-06-05T21:11:20  <promag> custom build?
517 2020-06-05T21:11:22  <luke-jr> yes
518 2020-06-05T21:11:37  <promag> oh!!!!
519 2020-06-05T21:12:07  <promag> well in that case HE knows what's available, it's his own version X)
520 2020-06-05T21:12:29  <luke-jr> he shouldn't need to modify whatever client he's using
521 2020-06-05T21:12:39  <luke-jr> client software should just work if the feature is available
522 2020-06-05T21:13:03  <promag> ok, but you think that info should provided along with the rpc whitelist ?
523 2020-06-05T21:14:27  <sipa> i don't understand what prompted this discussion
524 2020-06-05T21:14:47  <sipa> Kixunil was completely confused about what the PR was about
525 2020-06-05T21:14:48  <luke-jr> promag: MarcoFalke's argument is that help() works already
526 2020-06-05T21:15:01  <luke-jr> sipa: Kixunil?
527 2020-06-05T21:15:05  <promag> sipa: right
528 2020-06-05T21:15:22  <luke-jr> promag: using getrpcwhitelist would avoid whitelist-triggered errors
529 2020-06-05T21:15:34  <sipa> luke-jr: you're responding to promag, who was responding to Kixunil on the PR
530 2020-06-05T21:15:36  <luke-jr> promag: ie, using help() means clients need to check *both* help AND rpcwhitelist
531 2020-06-05T21:15:48  <promag> luke-jr: let me find one issue with a problem with that approach
532 2020-06-05T21:16:45  <luke-jr> sipa: Kixunil's idea makes sense to me
533 2020-06-05T21:16:59  <luke-jr> perhaps the method name should be changed :P
534 2020-06-05T21:17:06  <sipa> ok, but it seems unrelated to this PR
535 2020-06-05T21:17:16  <sipa> versioning RPCs seems like a very generic topic
536 2020-06-05T21:17:23  <promag> luke-jr: see OP https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11589
537 2020-06-05T21:17:26  <luke-jr> sipa: someone asked why "methods" shold be extensible
538 2020-06-05T21:17:30  <promag> re feature detection
539 2020-06-05T21:18:18  <luke-jr> promag: hmm
540 2020-06-05T21:18:36  <promag> but re getrpcwhitelist... I think we could extend to getrpccredentials that could return whitelist, blacklist, fooo...
541 2020-06-05T21:18:55  <luke-jr> I wonder if listfeatures (tentative new RPC name) should omit wallet-required RPCs when no wallet is specificed
542 2020-06-05T21:21:39  *** pntbr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
543 2020-06-05T21:22:49  *** dfmb_ has quit IRC
544 2020-06-05T21:23:01  <promag> only API that I remember where I had to discover features was opengl + extensions
545 2020-06-05T21:23:26  <promag> also js stuff on the different browsers
546 2020-06-05T21:23:34  <promag> pita
547 2020-06-05T21:24:34  <promag> it's much easier to target a server version and stick to it.. then update client if server is updated
548 2020-06-05T21:36:23  *** Kiminuo has quit IRC
549 2020-06-05T21:40:28  <luke-jr> promag: just assuming the features are available and documenting a minimum supported server makes sense; but checking the version in software does not.
550 2020-06-05T21:44:01  *** filchef has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
551 2020-06-05T21:44:55  *** filchef has quit IRC
552 2020-06-05T21:47:44  *** EagleTM has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
553 2020-06-05T21:58:51  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
554 2020-06-05T22:01:00  <phantomcircuit> right so the linker is complaining about using static member functions in blockfilter.h in wallet/wallet.cpp
555 2020-06-05T22:01:07  <phantomcircuit> is there some magic i need to do to make that work?
556 2020-06-05T22:14:03  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
557 2020-06-05T22:15:47  *** takinbo has quit IRC
558 2020-06-05T22:16:55  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
559 2020-06-05T22:17:53  *** takinbo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2020-06-05T22:17:53  *** takinbo has quit IRC
561 2020-06-05T22:17:53  *** takinbo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
562 2020-06-05T22:17:57  <luke-jr> phantomcircuit: GCC 10?
563 2020-06-05T22:20:18  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
564 2020-06-05T22:24:37  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
565 2020-06-05T22:26:26  <phantomcircuit> luke-jr, 8.3
566 2020-06-05T22:27:55  <luke-jr> oh, because it's the wallet module
567 2020-06-05T22:28:03  <luke-jr> wallet doesn't necessarily have block filters
568 2020-06-05T22:28:23  <luke-jr> gotta go through the interfaces/ stuff IIRC
569 2020-06-05T22:28:35  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
570 2020-06-05T22:29:38  *** takinbo has quit IRC
571 2020-06-05T22:30:53  *** takinbo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
572 2020-06-05T22:30:53  *** takinbo has quit IRC
573 2020-06-05T22:30:53  *** takinbo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
574 2020-06-05T22:33:41  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
575 2020-06-05T22:39:03  *** jarthur has quit IRC
576 2020-06-05T22:49:23  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
577 2020-06-05T22:49:23  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #19183: [WIP DONOTMERGE] Replace boost with C++17 (master...2005-StdVariantScriptedDiff) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19183
578 2020-06-05T22:49:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
579 2020-06-05T22:52:51  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
580 2020-06-05T23:30:25  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
581 2020-06-05T23:33:33  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
582 2020-06-05T23:38:19  *** proofofkeags has quit IRC
583 2020-06-05T23:58:21  *** Relis has quit IRC
584 2020-06-05T23:58:39  *** Relis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev