1 2020-03-05T00:00:02  *** Dantman has quit IRC
  2 2020-03-05T00:01:15  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  3 2020-03-05T00:05:38  *** jimmysong has quit IRC
  4 2020-03-05T00:07:59  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  5 2020-03-05T00:07:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #17795: gui: Shortcut to close RPC Console (master...2019-12-gui-close-rpcconsole-shortcut) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17795
  6 2020-03-05T00:08:02  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
  7 2020-03-05T00:10:39  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  8 2020-03-05T00:10:39  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #18252: gui: fix compiler warning in formatPingTime() (master...implicit-change-formatPingTime) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18252
  9 2020-03-05T00:10:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 10 2020-03-05T00:18:42  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
 11 2020-03-05T00:19:57  *** provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2020-03-05T00:22:03  *** provoostenator has quit IRC
 13 2020-03-05T00:23:05  *** captjakk has quit IRC
 14 2020-03-05T00:28:39  *** provoostenator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2020-03-05T00:29:32  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 16 2020-03-05T00:33:55  *** harrigan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 17 2020-03-05T00:35:28  *** andrewtoth_ has quit IRC
 18 2020-03-05T00:35:50  *** andrewtoth_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2020-03-05T00:36:27  *** harrigan has quit IRC
 20 2020-03-05T00:44:15  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2020-03-05T00:49:41  *** promag has quit IRC
 22 2020-03-05T00:55:58  *** codestr0m has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 23 2020-03-05T00:57:47  *** TheRec has quit IRC
 24 2020-03-05T00:58:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2020-03-05T00:58:39  *** TheRec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 26 2020-03-05T00:59:29  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 27 2020-03-05T01:06:27  *** anditto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2020-03-05T01:15:23  *** alec has quit IRC
 29 2020-03-05T01:18:05  *** alec has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2020-03-05T01:19:40  *** Dean_Guss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 31 2020-03-05T01:22:45  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 32 2020-03-05T01:23:50  *** Dean_Guss has quit IRC
 33 2020-03-05T01:24:06  *** Dean_Guss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 34 2020-03-05T01:25:51  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 35 2020-03-05T01:27:14  *** promag has quit IRC
 36 2020-03-05T01:34:32  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 37 2020-03-05T02:00:23  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2020-03-05T02:09:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 39 2020-03-05T02:10:35  *** Emcy has quit IRC
 40 2020-03-05T02:13:05  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2020-03-05T02:13:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #18264: [WIP] build: Remove Boost Chrono (master...dump_boost_chrono) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18264
 42 2020-03-05T02:13:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2020-03-05T02:14:15  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 44 2020-03-05T02:14:22  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 45 2020-03-05T02:16:51  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 46 2020-03-05T02:19:46  *** Highway62 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 47 2020-03-05T02:21:19  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 48 2020-03-05T02:21:19  *** Highway62 is now known as Highway61
 49 2020-03-05T02:22:20  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2020-03-05T02:26:05  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 51 2020-03-05T02:26:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a71c34742c24...2492dc0068f8
 52 2020-03-05T02:26:06  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa8b602 MarcoFalke: doc: Merge release notes for 0.20.0 release
 53 2020-03-05T02:26:07  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2492dc0 fanquake: Merge #18259: doc: Merge release notes for 0.20.0 release
 54 2020-03-05T02:26:08  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 55 2020-03-05T02:26:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2020-03-05T02:26:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #18259: doc: Merge release notes for 0.20.0 release (master...2003-docMergeRel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18259
 57 2020-03-05T02:26:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 58 2020-03-05T02:29:19  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2020-03-05T02:40:24  *** belcher has quit IRC
 60 2020-03-05T02:40:49  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
 61 2020-03-05T02:44:58  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2020-03-05T02:46:31  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 63 2020-03-05T02:47:03  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2020-03-05T02:56:47  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 65 2020-03-05T02:57:09  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 66 2020-03-05T03:00:01  *** codestr0m has quit IRC
 67 2020-03-05T03:17:25  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 68 2020-03-05T03:21:23  *** tss1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 69 2020-03-05T03:28:59  *** kristapsk has quit IRC
 70 2020-03-05T04:00:12  *** akionak has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 71 2020-03-05T04:00:18  *** felixfoertsch23 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 72 2020-03-05T04:01:05  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 73 2020-03-05T04:01:39  *** felixfoertsch has quit IRC
 74 2020-03-05T04:05:51  *** promag has quit IRC
 75 2020-03-05T04:18:03  *** Dean_Guss has quit IRC
 76 2020-03-05T04:19:07  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2020-03-05T04:25:33  *** sipa has quit IRC
 78 2020-03-05T04:30:59  *** sipa has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2020-03-05T04:35:35  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
 80 2020-03-05T05:06:55  <aj> kallewoof: *wave*
 81 2020-03-05T05:07:11  <kallewoof> hi :)
 82 2020-03-05T05:08:24  <kallewoof> If anyone has topics they wanna talk about, we could gather those and bring them up after the next PR review, assuming people are up for doing more. I'm not actually sure how #bitcoin-core-dev maintains meeting topic proposals tho.
 83 2020-03-05T05:09:01  <fanquake> kallewoof: I'ts pretty adhoc, but: https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a
 84 2020-03-05T05:11:29  <aj> kallewoof: so i saw signet on hi-pri and thought it'd be fun to discuss, but i see you posted about bip322/msg signing yesterday, so could do that instead?
 85 2020-03-05T05:12:49  <kallewoof> aj: to be honest, I'd love to focus on signet. the msg signing stuff is more a "is this really bad, and people just don't want to hurt my feelings" kind of stage
 86 2020-03-05T05:13:15  <aj> kallewoof: for me, msg signing is "this is cool, but none of the ideas seem quite like the right thing, so i dunno"
 87 2020-03-05T05:14:35  <kallewoof> yeah, that seems to be most people's opinion. i'm gonna let that ML post sit and focus on signet. after signet, i'll probably go and ultra-simplify the proposal to single-proof no-extensibility case. at least that gives us a starting point..
 88 2020-03-05T05:14:36  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2020-03-05T05:15:05  <aj> ugh, clicking "xxx hidden items Load More" repeatedly is lame
 90 2020-03-05T05:15:44  <kallewoof> aj: that aside, yes, i'd love to discuss signet. I'd love to do a PR review ON signet, but either I wake up in the middle of the night to do both ends, or I find someone on EU/US-land willing to host the main one...
 91 2020-03-05T05:16:38  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 92 2020-03-05T05:16:55  <aj> kallewoof: if you write up notes for it, i think it'd be pretty easy for someone else to run the actual meeting
 93 2020-03-05T05:17:19  <kallewoof> aj: Yeah and it oges in the wrong order too.. If I want to see the *latest* hidden comments I have to click on it untli the end...
 94 2020-03-05T05:17:25  <aj> kallewoof: might be complicated to do in a single meeting though? don't know
 95 2020-03-05T05:17:32  <aj> kallewoof: *EXACTLY*
 96 2020-03-05T05:17:50  <aj> https://github.com/sindresorhus/refined-github/issues/1892 -- javascript hackery to automate it, might be useful
 97 2020-03-05T05:19:13  <aj> kallewoof: so, was wondering where you were at with the common-genesis, diverge at block #1 idea? that's where the PR comments seem to trail off?
 98 2020-03-05T05:19:15  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1 | JSON-RPC support for mobile devices ("ultra-lightweight" clients) · Issue #1 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 99 2020-03-05T05:19:22  <aj> dammit gribble
100 2020-03-05T05:20:57  <kallewoof> aj: everyone seems to like the static genesis block idea, except for one or two people, who thinks it will make testing multi-chain stuff harder. I honestly just wanted to get *something* merged, even if it is patched later, so I was hesitant to change anything but maybe I should go ahead and do that.
101 2020-03-05T05:21:17  <aj> https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lightning-rfc/blob/master/00-introduction.md#glossary-and-terminology-guide  re: jtimon's comment about lightning wanting different chain_hash's, bolt-00 says it's only *usually* the genesis hash, so that seems fine
102 2020-03-05T05:21:20  <kallewoof> I think multi chain testing can be done by simply changing the genesis hash for the other chain(s) manually since you'llbe doing other stuff anyway.
103 2020-03-05T05:21:56  <kallewoof> right. so you agree with the static hash idea?
104 2020-03-05T05:22:05  <aj> well, common genesis means you can grind it manually which seems like a simplification?
105 2020-03-05T05:23:06  *** ddustin has quit IRC
106 2020-03-05T05:23:23  <kallewoof> the one icky thing is if a light client accidentally connects to a different signet with longer chain. since they won't validate the block sig, they will (I think) wipe out their whole chain and replace with the other one. but it looks increasingly like we'll msotly have a single signet running for the most time, so probably not a big deal
107 2020-03-05T05:23:43  *** ddustin has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
108 2020-03-05T05:23:49  <kallewoof> aj: yeah. the signet genesisnonce goes away which is great.
109 2020-03-05T05:26:30  <aj> kallewoof: well pchMessageStart = sha256d(sn_chal) fixes the accidentally one, and light clients that don't check signet sigs and aren't just connected to a trusted node are trivially attackable no matter what, so that seems fine?
110 2020-03-05T05:26:53  <kallewoof> Yeah, makes sense
111 2020-03-05T05:32:20  *** anditto has quit IRC
112 2020-03-05T05:32:46  *** anditto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2020-03-05T05:37:28  *** anditto has quit IRC
114 2020-03-05T05:38:12  <aj> oh, what's with enforcescript vs blockscript for reorg mode?
115 2020-03-05T05:40:01  <kallewoof> basically, you can have the main signet require a 2-of-2 and then you can have a "fake" signet requiring a 1-of-2 where the keys are the same.. if you accept the 1-of-2 case (enforce) you can get reorgs every X blocks, whereas the 2-of-2 chain will never (or rarely) reorg
116 2020-03-05T05:41:14  <aj> so you'd replace 2 a b 2 checkmultisig with... "depth dup 1 GT VERIFY a b 2 checkmultisig" ?
117 2020-03-05T05:42:51  <kallewoof> actually hm... i think it would have to do something tricky to allow both, yeah. i hadn't thought about that. I think BlueMatt and/or gmax were talking about this idea on the mailing list before.
118 2020-03-05T05:42:56  <kallewoof> Will have to find that again
119 2020-03-05T05:44:05  <aj> oh, DUP 2 B DUP 2 CHECKMULTISIG would probably do
120 2020-03-05T05:44:27  <aj> what? no it wouldn't grr
121 2020-03-05T05:45:09  <aj> maybe "verificationprogress" should be a mainnet only thing?
122 2020-03-05T05:46:41  <kallewoof> 2-of-2 case: <null> <sa> <sb> 2 <ka> <kb> 2 cms; 1-or-2-of-2 case: depth 8 equal if <2 of 2> else <1 of 2> endif... i think?
123 2020-03-05T05:47:09  <kallewoof> that makes sense to me (verificationprogress mainnet only), yeah
124 2020-03-05T05:47:58  <aj> depth 3 equal -- you've only got the 2 sigs and the null on the stack at that point
125 2020-03-05T05:48:16  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
126 2020-03-05T05:48:21  <kallewoof> oh, right
127 2020-03-05T05:48:24  <aj> so "depth 2 equal if 2 else 1 endif A B 2 cms"
128 2020-03-05T05:48:38  <aj> 3 equal
129 2020-03-05T05:48:40  <aj> grr
130 2020-03-05T05:49:08  <kallewoof> looks good yeah!
131 2020-03-05T05:49:24  <aj> "depth 2 equal 1add A B 2 cms" even :)
132 2020-03-05T05:49:37  <aj> oh ffs, depth 3 equal
133 2020-03-05T05:50:32  <kallewoof> lol
134 2020-03-05T05:50:46  <aj> so light clients will see all the reorgs this way i guess
135 2020-03-05T05:51:05  <aj> if they happen to connect to a reorg aware node anyway
136 2020-03-05T05:52:05  <kallewoof> right. i guess the big problem is, how do you prevent nodes from banning each other when they use different enforcements..
137 2020-03-05T05:52:39  <aj> oh, eww, good point
138 2020-03-05T05:53:44  <aj> i don't think that approach works with taproot either, you could change the sPK, but without ANYPREVOUT every sig commits to the sPK anyway
139 2020-03-05T05:55:41  <aj> reserve one of the bip320 miner-roll versionbits to signal "this block will get reorged out" instead maybe?
140 2020-03-05T05:57:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
141 2020-03-05T05:57:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] kallewoof opened pull request #18265: build: add data.h dependency to raw files (master...2003-makefile-bench-data) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18265
142 2020-03-05T05:57:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
143 2020-03-05T05:58:38  <kallewoof> aj: I think it would require some logic in the block validation where it silently rejects without punishing when the solution contains the same keys somehow.
144 2020-03-05T05:59:03  <kallewoof> Perhaps I shoudl remove the enforcescript flag until this all has been sorted out. It's not really needed for signet v1 I think.
145 2020-03-05T05:59:11  <aj> kallewoof: could set the error as BLOCK_RECENT_CONSENSUS_CHANGE in theory
146 2020-03-05T05:59:25  <kallewoof> ohh... true.
147 2020-03-05T05:59:25  *** soju has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2020-03-05T06:00:02  *** tss1 has quit IRC
149 2020-03-05T06:06:55  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
150 2020-03-05T06:11:03  <kallewoof> with schnorr, it would probably be "if sigs = 0, block is REALLY invalid and peer should be punished; if 0 < sigs < threshold, do BLOCK_RECENT_CONSENSUS_CHANGE; if sigs >= threshold, accept.
151 2020-03-05T06:11:14  <kallewoof> I mean, wit script v1
152 2020-03-05T06:14:17  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2020-03-05T06:15:51  <aj> haven't looked at the contrib/signet/ bits, but the other commits all look respectable fwiw
154 2020-03-05T06:18:26  *** sipsorcery has quit IRC
155 2020-03-05T06:19:29  <aj> hmm, i guess with schnorr/tapscript you'd need to work out what you're signing, since there's not really a transaction to apply the specced signature digest algo to, and then we're back to the signed-message debate
156 2020-03-05T06:20:37  *** sipsorcery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
157 2020-03-05T06:21:17  *** Inigo_Montoya1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2020-03-05T06:22:23  *** anditto has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
159 2020-03-05T06:37:30  <kallewoof> i haven't really given schnorr/tap* a lot of thought wrt signet. other than "signet should help with testing taproot"
160 2020-03-05T06:38:12  <kallewoof> I made a PR to the signet BIP, describing the genesis block and message start: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/900
161 2020-03-05T06:39:15  <kallewoof> aj: thanks for reviewing btw. I am probably going to strip that down to MVP and split into multiple PR's. I think I was a bit optimistic when I hoped it could be reviewed in its current state..
162 2020-03-05T06:40:57  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
163 2020-03-05T06:46:28  <aj> kallewoof: sounds great
164 2020-03-05T06:50:19  *** Kiminuo has quit IRC
165 2020-03-05T07:01:31  *** Kiminuo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
166 2020-03-05T07:05:03  *** andrewtoth_ has quit IRC
167 2020-03-05T07:05:43  *** tsujp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
168 2020-03-05T07:11:31  *** anditto has quit IRC
169 2020-03-05T07:16:15  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2020-03-05T07:16:15  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] kallewoof opened pull request #18267: BIP-325: Signet [consensus] (master...2003-signet-consensus) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18267
171 2020-03-05T07:16:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2020-03-05T07:16:36  <kallewoof> 406 lines. Still a lot, but better than 1.2k...
173 2020-03-05T07:22:29  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2020-03-05T07:29:07  *** jarthur has quit IRC
175 2020-03-05T07:31:03  *** manantial has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
176 2020-03-05T07:33:13  *** tsujp has quit IRC
177 2020-03-05T07:40:39  *** vasild_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
178 2020-03-05T07:43:43  *** vasild has quit IRC
179 2020-03-05T07:45:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
180 2020-03-05T08:03:52  *** goatpig has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
181 2020-03-05T08:09:00  <kallewoof> Managed to get it down to +358 -26. Hopefully this is reviewable.
182 2020-03-05T08:15:25  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2020-03-05T08:17:47  *** vasild_ is now known as vasild
184 2020-03-05T08:17:57  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
185 2020-03-05T08:26:17  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
186 2020-03-05T08:37:11  *** tsujp has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
187 2020-03-05T08:38:59  *** soju has quit IRC
188 2020-03-05T08:55:48  *** TheHoliestRoger has quit IRC
189 2020-03-05T08:56:33  *** TheHoliestRoger has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2020-03-05T08:59:18  *** mantoshelis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2020-03-05T08:59:19  <mantoshelis> Hello, can someone share testnet bitcoins with me? My address is: my5rQeSvwpjF4ssSBrD5PcGx3hRakXCHgF
192 2020-03-05T09:00:02  *** Inigo_Montoya1 has quit IRC
193 2020-03-05T09:04:44  <provoostenator> mantoshelis: done
194 2020-03-05T09:05:43  <mantoshelis> Thanks a lot
195 2020-03-05T09:06:13  <mantoshelis> If there is a possibility to get more tBTC please share with me up to 100. It is for testing purposes, especially load testing.
196 2020-03-05T09:07:11  <provoostenator> Why not use regtest for load testing?
197 2020-03-05T09:07:19  *** _flow_ has quit IRC
198 2020-03-05T09:07:19  *** jonatack has quit IRC
199 2020-03-05T09:07:27  *** mael-rolland[m] has quit IRC
200 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** Henry151 has quit IRC
201 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
202 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** thaumavorio has quit IRC
203 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** real_or_random has quit IRC
204 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** oguzkoroglu_ has quit IRC
205 2020-03-05T09:07:29  *** commavir has quit IRC
206 2020-03-05T09:07:30  *** kinlo has quit IRC
207 2020-03-05T09:07:30  *** earlz has quit IRC
208 2020-03-05T09:07:30  *** wumpus has quit IRC
209 2020-03-05T09:07:30  *** Processus42 has quit IRC
210 2020-03-05T09:07:30  <provoostenator> Or Signet
211 2020-03-05T09:07:31  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
212 2020-03-05T09:09:15  <provoostenator> (regtest is great if you test inside your own network, (a custom) signet is more suitable if you need to interact with others.
213 2020-03-05T09:09:49  *** oguzkoroglu_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
214 2020-03-05T09:16:11  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2020-03-05T09:16:42  <mantoshelis> We created a custom fork of bitcoinj to support database based wallet so we need to test it with interraction with others on testnet.
216 2020-03-05T09:16:50  *** afk11 has quit IRC
217 2020-03-05T09:17:21  *** afk11 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2020-03-05T09:20:37  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
219 2020-03-05T09:21:41  *** Morgon1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2020-03-05T09:22:52  <provoostenator> mantoshelis: testnet is pretty terrible in general. It might be worth looking into adding Signet support to BitcoinJ. Should be pretty easy: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Signet
221 2020-03-05T09:25:02  *** promag has quit IRC
222 2020-03-05T09:31:02  <mantoshelis> It's good idea but unfortunately we don't have enough time resources to implement this. As a result, we choose to perform tests on official Bitcoin testnet. :(
223 2020-03-05T09:35:07  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
224 2020-03-05T09:35:19  *** jnewbery_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2020-03-05T09:35:19  *** sdaftuar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2020-03-05T09:35:44  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
227 2020-03-05T09:38:23  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
228 2020-03-05T09:38:37  *** promag has quit IRC
229 2020-03-05T09:38:44  *** jnewbery has quit IRC
230 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** _flow_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
232 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** mael-rolland[m] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
233 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** Henry151 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
234 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
235 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** thaumavorio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
236 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** real_or_random has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
237 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** commavir has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
238 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** kinlo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
239 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** earlz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
240 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** wumpus has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
241 2020-03-05T09:43:19  *** Processus42 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
242 2020-03-05T09:56:54  <goatpig> hello
243 2020-03-05T09:57:19  <goatpig> is there an equivelant to sendrawtransactions to broadcast a batch of transactions through the RPC?
244 2020-03-05T09:58:51  <jonatack> kallewoof: could be a good PR for the review club, want to host?
245 2020-03-05T09:59:46  <kallewoof> jonatack: I would love to do that, but it's in the middle of the night for me. :o Would you be up for doing it?
246 2020-03-05T09:59:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
247 2020-03-05T09:59:58  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
248 2020-03-05T10:00:12  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
249 2020-03-05T10:01:28  <jonatack> oh that's right. sure, why not.
250 2020-03-05T10:01:28  *** promag has quit IRC
251 2020-03-05T10:03:27  *** sdaftuar_ has quit IRC
252 2020-03-05T10:03:27  *** jnewbery_ has quit IRC
253 2020-03-05T10:08:41  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2020-03-05T10:09:09  *** sdaftuar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
255 2020-03-05T10:09:30  *** jnewbery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
256 2020-03-05T10:11:18  *** promag has quit IRC
257 2020-03-05T10:15:24  *** timothy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
258 2020-03-05T10:24:51  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
259 2020-03-05T10:25:22  *** promag has quit IRC
260 2020-03-05T10:26:45  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2020-03-05T10:32:24  <kallewoof> nice! :) I'll see about making notes and such
262 2020-03-05T10:34:26  <provoostenator> I don't know if this is safe, but it's awesome (syntax highlight for git diffs): https://github.com/dandavison/delta
263 2020-03-05T10:43:13  <provoostenator> goatpig: there isn't. Transactions are only considered individually anyway, see #14895.
264 2020-03-05T10:43:14  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14895 | Package relay design questions · Issue #14895 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
265 2020-03-05T10:43:25  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
266 2020-03-05T10:43:25  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] docallag opened pull request #18268: rpcdoc: Remove redundant type from description #18258 (master...#18258_rpc_doc_type_cleanup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18268
267 2020-03-05T10:43:26  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2020-03-05T11:02:35  *** hex17or has quit IRC
269 2020-03-05T11:03:06  *** filchef has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
270 2020-03-05T11:03:58  *** Jason5Abbott has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2020-03-05T11:06:42  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
272 2020-03-05T11:14:31  *** hex17or has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
273 2020-03-05T11:31:59  *** Jason5Abbott has quit IRC
274 2020-03-05T11:32:57  <goatpig> @provoostenator: thanks
275 2020-03-05T11:43:52  *** promag has quit IRC
276 2020-03-05T11:44:05  *** someone235 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
277 2020-03-05T11:46:12  <someone235> Hi, did someone benchmark what is the validation time of a full non-compact block?
278 2020-03-05T11:46:42  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2020-03-05T11:47:13  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
280 2020-03-05T11:56:51  <jonatack> kallewoof: notes would be great!
281 2020-03-05T11:58:27  <jonatack> provoostenator: interesting
282 2020-03-05T12:00:01  *** Morgon1 has quit IRC
283 2020-03-05T12:11:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
284 2020-03-05T12:14:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2020-03-05T12:14:04  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 10 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cbc32d67dc0c...d0601e67f151
286 2020-03-05T12:14:04  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 08b9926 Jon Atack: test: add feature_asmap functional tests
287 2020-03-05T12:14:05  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fbe9b02 Jon Atack: config: use default value in -asmap config
288 2020-03-05T12:14:06  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 81c38a2 Jon Atack: config: enable passing -asmap an absolute file path
289 2020-03-05T12:14:08  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
290 2020-03-05T12:14:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2020-03-05T12:14:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #17812: config, net, test: asmap feature refinements and functional tests (master...feature-asmap) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17812
292 2020-03-05T12:14:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
293 2020-03-05T12:21:39  *** neutraltc has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
294 2020-03-05T12:24:11  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
295 2020-03-05T12:27:47  *** filchef has quit IRC
296 2020-03-05T12:40:51  *** emilengler has quit IRC
297 2020-03-05T12:41:05  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
298 2020-03-05T12:45:18  <stevenroose> Q about relaying: If you've broadcasted a tx that is not relayed by standard nodes. But a few of your peers do accept/relay it (even though all their peers won't accept it so their "relay" is futile). So this means that that tx is in the mempool of those few nodes. Now lets say after some time, more nodes have been configured to accept this kind of tx; how can I get my earlier tx to
299 2020-03-05T12:45:20  <stevenroose> broadcast again without personally connecting to new nodes?
300 2020-03-05T12:45:37  <stevenroose> I.e. can I get those few peers that know about the tx to re-relay it somehow?
301 2020-03-05T12:46:29  <stevenroose> IIRC nodes don't do any effort to make txs in their mempool discoverable by peers. Like mempool reconciliation, that doesn't happen (yet?), right?
302 2020-03-05T12:47:23  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2020-03-05T12:51:14  <goatpig> stevenroose: my experience with the p2p interface is that you'll get the inv for a tx only once, and a node you connected to will not try to inv its mempool to you, so basically you are the only who'd know to rebroadcast your tx to other nodes
304 2020-03-05T12:51:35  <goatpig> other nodes on the network will not do this for you
305 2020-03-05T12:51:43  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has quit IRC
306 2020-03-05T12:52:53  <stevenroose> Yeah but if you rebroadcast it, your peers that already accepted the tx previous time won't relay it again, right?
307 2020-03-05T12:53:10  <goatpig> no, they won't even send you the getdata packet to get the tx body
308 2020-03-05T12:53:11  <stevenroose> Even though at this time, *their* peers might accept it while they did not the time before that.
309 2020-03-05T12:53:23  <stevenroose> Kay, yeah that's what I thought.
310 2020-03-05T12:55:08  <goatpig> i dont think there's any mechanism for a node to keep track of its peers mempool filters either
311 2020-03-05T12:55:17  <stevenroose> This is quite an annoring aspect of trying to make certain tx standard again or f.e. lowering the minrelayfee. It only makes sense if a bunch of nodes do it together. If say 20% of the network accept lower-fee txs, there's a good chance your tx won't reach those 20% ever, even if after some time ,that 20% increases
312 2020-03-05T12:56:00  <goatpig> if you expect your tx to be below the network's relay floor, you're best bet is to connect to known miners
313 2020-03-05T12:56:02  <stevenroose> goatpig: no of course there is not, and I do agree it doesn't make sense to even assume their mempool filter might have changed in any way, so it's correct for them to not rebroadcast.
314 2020-03-05T12:56:12  <stevenroose> goatpig: yeah true
315 2020-03-05T12:57:17  <goatpig> you can setup strategies to know if your tx has propagated if you're willing to run several nodes
316 2020-03-05T12:58:45  <stevenroose> goatpig: hmm, I just notice that peers actually do communicate minfeefilters: "minfeefilter": 1e-06. But I'm sure there's no code that detects changes in that field.
317 2020-03-05T12:58:57  <stevenroose> Anyway, thanks :) Got my suspicion confirmed.
318 2020-03-05T12:59:02  *** kim58 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2020-03-05T12:59:49  <goatpig> that's to filter what they ought to inv to the peer, i doubt there's a feedback loop to rebroadcast existing mempool entries
320 2020-03-05T13:19:37  *** promag has quit IRC
321 2020-03-05T13:20:16  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2020-03-05T13:24:55  *** promag has quit IRC
323 2020-03-05T13:34:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
324 2020-03-05T13:34:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dangershony closed pull request #18223: Add new filter type v0 for segwit only Scripts to blockfilterindex (master...nutrino-p2wpkh-filters) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18223
325 2020-03-05T13:34:34  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
326 2020-03-05T13:54:53  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
327 2020-03-05T13:55:23  *** belcher has quit IRC
328 2020-03-05T13:55:47  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
329 2020-03-05T13:59:20  *** emilengler has quit IRC
330 2020-03-05T13:59:31  *** promag has quit IRC
331 2020-03-05T13:59:35  *** emilengler has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
332 2020-03-05T14:02:43  *** belcher has quit IRC
333 2020-03-05T14:03:02  *** belcher has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
334 2020-03-05T14:06:33  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
335 2020-03-05T14:11:06  *** jonatack has quit IRC
336 2020-03-05T14:17:49  <instagibbs> stevenroose, amiti has a PR that would result in unstuckness in these kind of situations.
337 2020-03-05T14:18:14  <instagibbs> changing feefilter is done on restart for Core so would only be announced after re-connect
338 2020-03-05T14:18:26  <instagibbs> but by then I don't think you'll send the INV
339 2020-03-05T14:19:40  *** molly has quit IRC
340 2020-03-05T14:25:22  *** Guyver2_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
341 2020-03-05T14:26:35  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
342 2020-03-05T14:28:08  <instagibbs> 10 days until feature freeze, get those reviews in folks
343 2020-03-05T14:32:13  *** jimmysong has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
344 2020-03-05T14:37:35  <stevenroose> instagibbs: PR?
345 2020-03-05T14:41:04  *** sipsorcery has quit IRC
346 2020-03-05T14:41:37  <instagibbs> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16698
347 2020-03-05T14:42:17  <instagibbs> it basically makes any topology more robust for non-standard-ish transactions
348 2020-03-05T14:42:30  *** mol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2020-03-05T14:48:12  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2020-03-05T14:49:29  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
351 2020-03-05T14:57:48  *** luke-jr has quit IRC
352 2020-03-05T14:59:43  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
353 2020-03-05T15:00:01  *** neutraltc has quit IRC
354 2020-03-05T15:01:39  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2020-03-05T15:06:43  *** mol has quit IRC
356 2020-03-05T15:09:25  *** jimmysong has quit IRC
357 2020-03-05T15:12:23  *** molly has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
358 2020-03-05T15:19:21  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2020-03-05T15:21:20  *** Y_Ichiro has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
360 2020-03-05T15:25:53  *** luke-jr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
361 2020-03-05T15:29:03  *** Guyver2__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
362 2020-03-05T15:31:35  *** Guyver2_ has quit IRC
363 2020-03-05T15:34:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
364 2020-03-05T15:34:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d0601e67f151...a2a77ba34f71
365 2020-03-05T15:34:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2a95c7c Emil Engler: ci: Check for submodules
366 2020-03-05T15:34:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a2a77ba Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #18056: ci: Check for submodules
367 2020-03-05T15:34:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
368 2020-03-05T15:34:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
369 2020-03-05T15:34:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #18056: ci: Check for submodules (master...2020-02-submodule-linter-check) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18056
370 2020-03-05T15:34:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
371 2020-03-05T15:38:02  *** goatpig has quit IRC
372 2020-03-05T15:38:40  <amiti> stevenroose: lmk if you have any thoughts / questions. I'm also interested in hearing about your angle / use cases. feel free to DM me :)
373 2020-03-05T15:38:48  <amiti> instagibbs: thanks for sharing
374 2020-03-05T15:40:15  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2020-03-05T15:53:21  *** Kiminuo has quit IRC
376 2020-03-05T15:58:20  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
377 2020-03-05T16:01:36  *** Kiminuo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
378 2020-03-05T16:09:38  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
379 2020-03-05T16:09:57  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
380 2020-03-05T16:10:27  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
381 2020-03-05T16:20:17  *** captjakk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
382 2020-03-05T16:20:21  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
383 2020-03-05T16:21:04  <harding> stevenroose: what do you mean "I'm sure there's no code that detects changes in that [minfeefilter] field"?  Are you familar with BIP133?  The whole point of that is to allow peers to detect changes to a peer's minfeefilter and avoid relaying transactions to a peer that won't accept them.
384 2020-03-05T16:22:54  *** captjakk has quit IRC
385 2020-03-05T16:22:55  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
386 2020-03-05T16:25:23  <sipa> the feefilter is also re-sent from time to time, i think
387 2020-03-05T16:25:39  <sipa> if the minfeerate of the receiver mempool changes
388 2020-03-05T16:29:29  *** captjakk_ has quit IRC
389 2020-03-05T16:29:47  *** kim58 has quit IRC
390 2020-03-05T16:34:04  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
391 2020-03-05T16:34:57  *** Aaronvan_ is now known as AaronvanW
392 2020-03-05T16:39:22  *** sipsorcery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
393 2020-03-05T16:45:08  *** Talkless has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
394 2020-03-05T16:47:37  *** harrigan_ has left #bitcoin-core-dev
395 2020-03-05T16:50:58  *** Guyver2_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
396 2020-03-05T16:53:35  *** Guyver2__ has quit IRC
397 2020-03-05T17:13:56  <stevenroose> harding: well that's used generally right after the handshake, right?
398 2020-03-05T17:14:32  <stevenroose> What I mean was that a node that sees the minfee from a peer go from 10 to 20 won't relay all mempool txs it has between 10 and 20.
399 2020-03-05T17:15:19  <stevenroose> Unless I'm mistaken. But IIRC the minfee is more a static thing that just gets updated when the message is received and checked only on newly received txs.
400 2020-03-05T17:16:41  <instagibbs> sipa, ah of course it does change over the lifecycle of a node
401 2020-03-05T17:16:43  <harding> I think you mean 20 to 10, but yeah, AFAIK mempool txes that were not relayed previously won't be relayed just because the min rate dropped.
402 2020-03-05T17:17:06  <instagibbs> again, rebroadcast being reworked would fundamentally fix these edge cases
403 2020-03-05T17:17:36  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
404 2020-03-05T17:18:06  <harding> stevenroose: my point was that feefilter is sent when a node changes its min, not just once during initial negotiation.
405 2020-03-05T17:18:40  <harding> (In theory; it's not like we've had a  full mempool in two years to demonstrate that.  :-)
406 2020-03-05T17:18:53  <stevenroose> harding: yeah I realize that. My statement "it doesn't detect changes" should have been "doesn't act retroactively on txs when it detects a change". Sorry
407 2020-03-05T17:19:27  <stevenroose> harding: ah yeah 20 to 10 lol
408 2020-03-05T17:19:40  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
409 2020-03-05T17:27:12  *** promag has quit IRC
410 2020-03-05T17:27:30  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
411 2020-03-05T17:31:29  *** pinheadmz has quit IRC
412 2020-03-05T17:47:45  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
413 2020-03-05T17:49:36  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
414 2020-03-05T17:50:19  *** jarthur has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
415 2020-03-05T17:52:11  *** promag has quit IRC
416 2020-03-05T17:54:22  *** promag_ has quit IRC
417 2020-03-05T17:54:23  *** sdaftuar_ has quit IRC
418 2020-03-05T17:54:54  *** sdaftuar_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
419 2020-03-05T17:58:15  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
420 2020-03-05T17:59:11  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
421 2020-03-05T18:00:01  *** Y_Ichiro has quit IRC
422 2020-03-05T18:04:41  *** tsujp has quit IRC
423 2020-03-05T18:10:07  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
424 2020-03-05T18:10:26  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
425 2020-03-05T18:14:51  *** promag_ has quit IRC
426 2020-03-05T18:21:03  *** gholms1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
427 2020-03-05T18:41:21  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
428 2020-03-05T18:41:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a2a77ba34f71...96488e678479
429 2020-03-05T18:41:22  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2455aa5 Gloria Zhao: [rpc] changed MineBlocksOnDemand to IsMockableChain
430 2020-03-05T18:41:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 96488e6 MarcoFalke: Merge #18263: rpc: change setmocktime check to use IsMockableChain
431 2020-03-05T18:41:24  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
432 2020-03-05T18:41:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
433 2020-03-05T18:41:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #18263: rpc: change setmocktime check to use IsMockableChain  (master...rpc-setmocktime-check) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18263
434 2020-03-05T18:41:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
435 2020-03-05T18:44:03  <moneyball> #proposedmeetingtopic CoreDev SF
436 2020-03-05T18:51:22  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
437 2020-03-05T18:51:22  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/96488e678479...aaf09469fb2c
438 2020-03-05T18:51:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b054c46 Ben Woosley: refactor: Convert ping time from double to int64_t
439 2020-03-05T18:51:23  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e6fc63e Ben Woosley: refactor: Convert min ping time from double to int64_t
440 2020-03-05T18:51:24  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7a810b1 Ben Woosley: refactor: Convert ping wait time from double to int64_t
441 2020-03-05T18:51:25  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
442 2020-03-05T18:51:42  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
443 2020-03-05T18:51:42  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #18260: refactor: Fix implicit value conversion in  formatPingTime (master...2020-03-ping-time) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18260
444 2020-03-05T18:51:43  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
445 2020-03-05T18:52:23  *** Highway61 has quit IRC
446 2020-03-05T18:52:29  <jonasschnelli> fanquake: I saw that your tx for the coredev.tech refund has been final-signed and broacasted: 31ee555fc1f92fc0ef834fb49b8087e3f33a44efa47b1fc5ff8a3c920a48b783
447 2020-03-05T18:52:44  <jonasschnelli> omg!
448 2020-03-05T18:53:33  *** lightlike has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
449 2020-03-05T18:54:48  *** Highway61 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
450 2020-03-05T18:56:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
451 2020-03-05T18:56:52  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 6 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/aaf09469fb2c...727857d12d04
452 2020-03-05T18:56:52  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3ca574c Pieter Wuille: Convert CCompactSize to proper formatter
453 2020-03-05T18:56:53  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 56dd9f0 Russell Yanofsky: Make VectorFormatter support stateful formatters
454 2020-03-05T18:56:53  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1063339 Russell Yanofsky: Add DifferenceFormatter
455 2020-03-05T18:56:54  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
456 2020-03-05T18:57:11  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
457 2020-03-05T18:57:12  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #18112: Serialization improvements step 5 (blockencodings) (master...202002_noncastserial_5) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18112
458 2020-03-05T18:57:12  *** promag has quit IRC
459 2020-03-05T18:57:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
460 2020-03-05T19:00:13  <wumpus> #startmeeting
461 2020-03-05T19:00:13  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Mar  5 19:00:13 2020 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
462 2020-03-05T19:00:13  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
463 2020-03-05T19:00:46  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james amiti fjahr
464 2020-03-05T19:00:47  <wumpus> jeremyrubin lightlike emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55
465 2020-03-05T19:00:48  <emilengler> hi
466 2020-03-05T19:00:50  <kanzure> hi
467 2020-03-05T19:00:51  <elichai2> Hi
468 2020-03-05T19:00:51  <jonasschnelli> hi
469 2020-03-05T19:00:52  <sipsorcery> hi
470 2020-03-05T19:00:54  <hebasto> hi
471 2020-03-05T19:00:54  <jkczyz> hi
472 2020-03-05T19:00:56  <jonatack> hi
473 2020-03-05T19:01:03  <moneyball> hi
474 2020-03-05T19:01:55  <wumpus> one proposed meeting topic in http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt : Coredev SF (moneyball)
475 2020-03-05T19:02:27  <luke-jr> hi
476 2020-03-05T19:02:37  <wumpus> PSA: 0.19.1 has been tagged, please gitian build if you haven't yet :)
477 2020-03-05T19:03:34  *** elichai2 has quit IRC
478 2020-03-05T19:03:39  <wumpus> the 0.20.0 feature freeze is in roughly a week, see https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17432, I think it makes sense to focus review on the feature PRs that have a chance to still make it in
479 2020-03-05T19:03:47  *** elichai2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
480 2020-03-05T19:04:08  <fjahr> hi
481 2020-03-05T19:04:14  <nehan_> hi
482 2020-03-05T19:04:21  <wumpus> there's a few PRs tagged for 0.20, but this list likely needs cleaning up: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.20.0
483 2020-03-05T19:04:44  <wumpus> for example, I don't think the rust stuff is going to make 0.20, unfortunately
484 2020-03-05T19:04:51  <elichai2> Where are we stuck in regards to the rust stuff?
485 2020-03-05T19:04:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
486 2020-03-05T19:05:12  <elichai2> I'd really like to push it for 0.21
487 2020-03-05T19:05:14  <wumpus> I'm not entirely sure, but it's a bad idea to merge it last minute before a relase
488 2020-03-05T19:05:18  <wumpus> agree
489 2020-03-05T19:05:38  <wumpus> lack of ACKs I suppose
490 2020-03-05T19:06:17  <wumpus> does anyone have suggestions for things that should have a 0.20 tag but doesn't?
491 2020-03-05T19:06:43  <emilengler> Maybe #17636
492 2020-03-05T19:06:46  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17636 | qt: Add -guisettingsdir option by emilengler · Pull Request #17636 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
493 2020-03-05T19:07:25  <luke-jr> wumpus: still a Concept NACK on any rust stuff..
494 2020-03-05T19:07:29  <wumpus> some of the things currently on high priority for review, for example
495 2020-03-05T19:08:15  <ariard> elichai2: IIRC lack of review by people understanding both Rust and code affected but people would like to raise the subject at coming physical meetup
496 2020-03-05T19:08:50  <luke-jr> elichai2: still not practical to securely bootstrap Rust, and it has ABI issues
497 2020-03-05T19:08:52  <wumpus> no, I don't think any of the features in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8 's blockers will be ready for 0.20
498 2020-03-05T19:09:02  <elichai2> ariard: k, will talk with people privately about it
499 2020-03-05T19:09:14  <jonasschnelli> on 17646, would be good to get ryanofsky's ack
500 2020-03-05T19:09:15  <wumpus> luke-jr: rust will not be required for anything necessary, it will remain optional
501 2020-03-05T19:09:17  <kanzure> ariard: i'll add it to the topic reminder list
502 2020-03-05T19:09:19  *** promag has quit IRC
503 2020-03-05T19:09:22  <jonasschnelli> *17636
504 2020-03-05T19:09:25  <wumpus> but not the time to discuss that now
505 2020-03-05T19:10:36  <luke-jr> started 0.19.1 PPA builds
506 2020-03-05T19:11:21  <jonatack> wrt blockers, #16411 may have been superseded by #18267
507 2020-03-05T19:11:24  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16411 | BIP-325: Signet support by kallewoof · Pull Request #16411 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
508 2020-03-05T19:11:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18267 | BIP-325: Signet [consensus] by kallewoof · Pull Request #18267 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
509 2020-03-05T19:12:36  <wumpus> jonatack: ok, will replace it
510 2020-03-05T19:13:22  <jeremyrubin> hi
511 2020-03-05T19:13:25  <jnewbery> hi
512 2020-03-05T19:13:55  <luke-jr> might be nice to get #15987 in
513 2020-03-05T19:14:01  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15987 | Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses by luke-jr · Pull Request #15987 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
514 2020-03-05T19:14:23  <luke-jr> #15600 seems to be of interest (we have a IMO-bogus CVE assigned about it), and very simple
515 2020-03-05T19:14:25  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15600 | lockedpool: When possible, use madvise to avoid including sensitive information in core dumps by luke-jr · Pull Request #15600 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
516 2020-03-05T19:15:15  <wumpus> adding 0.20 milestone to those, hopefully they can get enough review in time
517 2020-03-05T19:16:43  <luke-jr> shoot, the first one needs rebasing again - will try to get to that later today
518 2020-03-05T19:18:14  <wumpus> I think that concludes the 0.20.0 / high priority for review topic
519 2020-03-05T19:18:54  <wumpus> #topic Coredev SF (moneyball)
520 2020-03-05T19:19:06  <moneyball> We need to discuss cancelling/postponing CoreDev SF. There are numerous reasons why. There is risk of getting stuck / quarantined and not be able to return home in a timely fashion. There is of course a real health risk and the logic to reduce the speed of spreading coronavirus. And there is the actions of many other organizations such as SF and California declaring states of emergencies, with Square,
521 2020-03-05T19:19:07  <moneyball> Coinbase, Stripe, Microsoft, Twitter all strongly encouraging working from home. Lastly, there is a high probability Bitcoin 2020 will be postponed.
522 2020-03-05T19:19:19  <moneyball> What do others think? Is there an argument to be made to continue holding it?
523 2020-03-05T19:19:37  <moneyball> Would there be interest in a remote/virtual CoreDev? IMO the biggest value of the CoreDev _is_ the f2f interactions, so we'd be losing out on that. However, it may be interesting to experiment with a 1 day virtual format and see how it goes. Maybe we could get Udi to do a VR thing(?!).
524 2020-03-05T19:20:07  <kanzure> when will we know about bitcoin2020?
525 2020-03-05T19:20:08  <luke-jr> is there free software VR stuff?
526 2020-03-05T19:20:19  <BlueMatt> it sounds like bitcoin2020 is going ahead
527 2020-03-05T19:20:34  <BlueMatt> unless the city of sf tells them they have to cancel, that is
528 2020-03-05T19:20:38  <jeremyrubin> i heard recent rumour it's cancelled
529 2020-03-05T19:20:40  <luke-jr> O.O
530 2020-03-05T19:21:03  <BlueMatt> they were pretty adament it was going ahead, like, three days ago, so dunno about rumors
531 2020-03-05T19:21:12  <jeremyrubin> Or that they at least advised some people to  delay booking travel
532 2020-03-05T19:21:14  <jeremyrubin> As of today
533 2020-03-05T19:21:24  <jeremyrubin> I saw their message in the telegram a few days ago
534 2020-03-05T19:21:42  <moneyball> For the purpose of this discussion, let's say it is a very high probability that Bitcoin 2020 conference may be postponed.
535 2020-03-05T19:22:30  <kanzure> my only concern with coredev.tech would be if we have nearly ~everyone which is ungood for the usual reasons
536 2020-03-05T19:23:19  <achow101> I think some people already said they weren't going
537 2020-03-05T19:23:25  <wumpus> I don't think cancelling it is a bad idea, there's a large chance things will become more complicated in the next weeks, at least I'm not going to make the trip.
538 2020-03-05T19:23:36  <luke-jr> kanzure: I wasn't going to make it regardless
539 2020-03-05T19:23:49  <jonasschnelli> Agree with wumpus. I'm also not tthere.
540 2020-03-05T19:23:50  <luke-jr> but even still, a majority of devs getting badly ill could be a bad idea :p
541 2020-03-05T19:23:53  <jonatack> i was keen to go but atm it's a no-go... i'd be for holding off until we more clarity on the situation
542 2020-03-05T19:23:54  <kanzure> luke-jr: are you prepared to continue the project without us? (kidding)
543 2020-03-05T19:24:10  <BlueMatt> right, i guess the question is - things may be completely fine in two weeks, or ca will be telling everyone to not go outside. and we need to decide ~now for travel booking
544 2020-03-05T19:24:31  <kanzure> are these things even refundable... i already booked.
545 2020-03-05T19:24:32  * BlueMatt will be in sf either way
546 2020-03-05T19:24:39  <luke-jr> kanzure: Core's current policy doesn't make it possible for a one-man show :P
547 2020-03-05T19:24:51  <wumpus> could still organise something for the people in SF I guess
548 2020-03-05T19:24:56  <BlueMatt> kanzure: they are not (yet), though some airlines are starting to change, at least alaska/virgin is refunding anything you want to cancel iiuc
549 2020-03-05T19:25:12  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: considering the ridiculous lack of preventative measures by the US government, I expect things to only get worse in the coming weeks
550 2020-03-05T19:25:16  <kanzure> that's helpful
551 2020-03-05T19:25:42  <BlueMatt> I would not hold your breath if you're booked on the US Big Three airlines, though
552 2020-03-05T19:26:11  <BlueMatt> sounds like cancel/postpone/anyone whos in sf anyway can get a drink through their face masks. any nacks?
553 2020-03-05T19:26:26  <jnewbery> moneyball: I agree that the sensible thing to do is cancel if Bitcoin2020 is cancelled. I'm personally not interested in a remote/virtual coredev. I think it's very difficult to make it fair/convenient for people in different timezones. Much better to just reschedule a coredev in three-six months time.
554 2020-03-05T19:26:28  <elichai2> FWIW even though no one from Israel is coming the official Israel health minister guidelines from a few days ago are not to fly anywhere if it's not an emergency and if you came from a conference you must be in 14 days isolation,
555 2020-03-05T19:26:52  <elichai2> So I can expect other countries to start doing the same soon enough
556 2020-03-05T19:27:04  <wumpus> yes, I very much doubt this will be cleared up in two weeks
557 2020-03-05T19:27:07  <achow101> I think we'd have significantly reduced attendance so it probably isn't as useful
558 2020-03-05T19:27:22  <jonasschnelli> I doubt it is cleared up in months. :)
559 2020-03-05T19:27:41  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
560 2020-03-05T19:27:45  <luke-jr> jonasschnelli: ☹ I'm reverse-quarantined until it's cleared up
561 2020-03-05T19:27:47  <BlueMatt> wumpus: especially not in the us. its spreading fast in some areas and no testing means no followup/monitoring. its just getting started here :/
562 2020-03-05T19:28:09  <jeremyrubin> kanzure: looking at what people submitted as topics to cover do you think there might be a useful remote agenda? Maybe we can just do daily morning/afternoon IRC meetings for a few days
563 2020-03-05T19:29:03  <kanzure> jeremyrubin: sure... maybe zoom for presentations, otherwise just hang out on irc?
564 2020-03-05T19:29:08  <kanzure> will pm you the link
565 2020-03-05T19:29:58  <luke-jr> Zoom appears to work in free software HTML5 browsers if you jump through some hoops FWIW
566 2020-03-05T19:30:00  <wumpus> trying to do something remote sounds good to me, would be good to coordinate more around the 0.20.0 feature freeze and release anyway--haven't ever used VR so can't comment on that
567 2020-03-05T19:30:44  <kanzure> OK, well, if we want a remote event then let's decide (doesn't have to be right now) whether we just want people to commit to being online, or if we want to schedule presentations / specific discussions on a conference video tool
568 2020-03-05T19:30:48  <kanzure> s/conference/meeting
569 2020-03-05T19:32:24  <kanzure> no whiteboards though... hm.
570 2020-03-05T19:32:49  <luke-jr> wumpus: maybe take #15987 out of 0.20 - just remembered I was waiting on #18192 to re-do it without the bloom stuff
571 2020-03-05T19:32:54  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15987 | Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses by luke-jr · Pull Request #15987 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
572 2020-03-05T19:32:56  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18192 | Bugfix: Wallet: Safely deal with change in the address book by luke-jr · Pull Request #18192 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
573 2020-03-05T19:33:00  <moneyball> schmidty and i can send out a survey with some options. if the majority want to do virtual we can help organize. if just a few, i'd suggest self-organizing.
574 2020-03-05T19:33:05  <kanzure> anyway, it would be helpful if coredev.tech can send out an email once someone learns about bitcoin2020's decision
575 2020-03-05T19:33:10  <luke-jr> kanzure: screen sharing in Zoom as whiteboarD?
576 2020-03-05T19:33:22  <wumpus> luke-jr: ok
577 2020-03-05T19:33:27  *** promag has quit IRC
578 2020-03-05T19:33:49  <moneyball> yes i will send an email, and i will include a survey for people to indicate preferences for doing virtual or nothing at all
579 2020-03-05T19:34:10  <achow101> moneyball: ack
580 2020-03-05T19:34:31  <jeremyrubin> I'd do a virtual thing but I don't own any vr hardware -- do most devs these days?
581 2020-03-05T19:34:31  <wumpus> moneyball: thanks!
582 2020-03-05T19:34:34  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
583 2020-03-05T19:34:34  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] luke-jr closed pull request #15987: Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses (master...wallet_no_reuse) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15987
584 2020-03-05T19:34:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
585 2020-03-05T19:34:55  <luke-jr> moneyball: nothing | video conf | VR
586 2020-03-05T19:35:08  <kanzure> luke-jr: or... blockchain?
587 2020-03-05T19:35:08  <luke-jr> jeremyrubin: I suspect you're not alone; video conf seems more logical IMO anyway
588 2020-03-05T19:35:17  <moneyball> i mean i joined udi's VR thing without a headset.
589 2020-03-05T19:35:33  <moneyball> i'm not advocating VR, just saying a headset isn't needed to participate
590 2020-03-05T19:35:40  <achow101> jeremyrubin: I don't, but valve index is supposed to be back in stock Monday. I'm planning on getting one of those
591 2020-03-05T19:36:01  <luke-jr> moneyball: it is if it's anything liek Sword Art Online 8)
592 2020-03-05T19:37:43  <sipa> hi!
593 2020-03-05T19:37:45  <wumpus> anything else to discuss today?
594 2020-03-05T19:38:15  <sipa> fwiw, i'll be in the sf area for coredev, so happy to meet up with whoever is there
595 2020-03-05T19:39:52  <wumpus> #endmeeting
596 2020-03-05T19:39:52  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Mar  5 19:39:52 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
597 2020-03-05T19:39:52  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-03-05-19.00.html
598 2020-03-05T19:39:52  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-03-05-19.00.txt
599 2020-03-05T19:39:52  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-03-05-19.00.log.html
600 2020-03-05T19:40:35  *** vasild_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
601 2020-03-05T19:44:03  *** vasild has quit IRC
602 2020-03-05T19:45:07  <kanzure>  /win 5
603 2020-03-05T19:45:12  <kanzure> whoops.
604 2020-03-05T19:47:39  *** vasild_ is now known as vasild
605 2020-03-05T19:48:07  <hebasto> devs who are interested in GUI internationalization, please review #16224, the first part of which is already in 0.19
606 2020-03-05T19:48:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16224 | gui: Bilingual GUI error messages by hebasto · Pull Request #16224 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
607 2020-03-05T19:48:20  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
608 2020-03-05T19:48:21  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #16762: Rust-based Backup over-REST block downloader (master...2019-08-rusty-block-download) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16762
609 2020-03-05T19:48:21  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
610 2020-03-05T19:48:41  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
611 2020-03-05T19:48:41  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #16834: Fetch Headers over DNS (master...2019-09-rusty-dns-headers) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16834
612 2020-03-05T19:48:42  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
613 2020-03-05T19:49:02  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
614 2020-03-05T19:49:02  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt closed pull request #17376: Add Parallel P2P Client in Rust (master...2019-10-rusty-p2p) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17376
615 2020-03-05T19:49:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
616 2020-03-05T19:50:57  *** Talkless has quit IRC
617 2020-03-05T19:54:33  <wumpus> BlueMatt: sorry to see you closing the rust PRs due to lack of interest
618 2020-03-05T19:56:45  <BlueMatt> eh, happens. not everything makes it through
619 2020-03-05T19:56:58  <BlueMatt> and there was a definite lack of interest on those.
620 2020-03-05T20:02:36  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: there's been some interest in keeping the PPA using the bitcoin/bitcoin URI; can you add me to the org?
621 2020-03-05T20:02:52  *** timothy has quit IRC
622 2020-03-05T20:04:04  <BlueMatt> luke-jr: if someone wants to replace the ppa with something that checks gitian signatures and downloads official binaries, as I've been saying needs to happen ~forever, then maybe its worth maintinaing again. but no one has ever shown a desire to do that, and the ppa has had many issues due to ubuntu insanity. its definitely a bad idea to use those build scripts for bitcoin nodes.
623 2020-03-05T20:05:29  <luke-jr> gitian binaries are not comparable
624 2020-03-05T20:06:34  <luke-jr> BlueMatt: I respect your decision to not maintain it; but are you really suggesting you should decide for everyone else?
625 2020-03-05T20:07:38  <sipa> if we as a project want to support PPAs again that's perhaps something to do discuss
626 2020-03-05T20:08:06  <BlueMatt> luke-jr: bitcoin core, as a project, maintains packaging scripts for fetching official release binaries and suggests users run those. if you disagree and want to start suggesting users run packages linked against os libs that have a long history of only half-working, its probably something that needs to be discussed as a project, not the two of us.
627 2020-03-05T20:09:17  <BlueMatt> I got tired of doing it, in large part, because they broke very regularly due to different dependencies than upstream supported. imo it only makes sense to ship the release binaries, but, again, that can be a broader discussion if you want to open it.
628 2020-03-05T20:09:23  <luke-jr> the ideal is users compiling their own; after that, PPAs are next best for Ubuntu; gitian binaries are nice to have as downloads, but in their current form not a good recommendation
629 2020-03-05T20:09:23  <BlueMatt> maybe next weeks meeting
630 2020-03-05T20:09:25  <luke-jr> I'm not asking you to do it
631 2020-03-05T20:09:38  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
632 2020-03-05T20:09:47  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
633 2020-03-05T20:09:47  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/727857d12d04...891464950b07
634 2020-03-05T20:09:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 470e2ac practicalswift: tests: Avoid hitting some known minor tinyformat issues when fuzzing strpr...
635 2020-03-05T20:09:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8914649 MarcoFalke: Merge #18109: tests: Avoid hitting some known minor tinyformat issues when...
636 2020-03-05T20:09:57  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
637 2020-03-05T20:10:16  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
638 2020-03-05T20:10:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #18109: tests: Avoid hitting some known minor tinyformat issues when fuzzing strprintf(...) (master...fuzzers-strprintf-errata) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18109
639 2020-03-05T20:10:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
640 2020-03-05T20:10:44  <BlueMatt> I'm not not doing it cause it took some small amount of effort, I'm not doing it cause things were failing test suite left and right and I felt like that was an unacceptable risk to user funds. I dont think you nor I have enough info by ourselves to decide otherwise. we can discuss it at the next meeting, if you want.
641 2020-03-05T20:11:11  *** mdunnio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2020-03-05T20:13:40  <luke-jr> there's no reason it should require anything more than someone willing to do the work. and the tests _aren't_ failing (except on old platforms, which simply don't end up with packages).
643 2020-03-05T20:14:09  <BlueMatt> they were at the time i stopped. sounds like you want to discuss it at the next meeting, so lets do that.
644 2020-03-05T20:14:20  <luke-jr> #proposedmeetingtopic PPA URI
645 2020-03-05T20:15:02  <luke-jr> hmm, why didn't that work? :/
646 2020-03-05T20:15:17  <sipa> why do you assume it didn't work?
647 2020-03-05T20:15:32  <luke-jr> it's not in http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt
648 2020-03-05T20:16:00  <sipa> i think it's just updated manually
649 2020-03-05T20:16:03  <luke-jr> i c
650 2020-03-05T20:17:41  <sipa> wumpus: thanks for the serialization 5 merge, we're almost there :)
651 2020-03-05T20:19:52  <kanzure> luke-jr: it's on a timer.
652 2020-03-05T20:20:00  <kanzure> luke-jr: it runs every 6 hours and then a few minutes before each meeting.
653 2020-03-05T20:22:34  <sipa> oh, fancy
654 2020-03-05T20:26:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
655 2020-03-05T20:26:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/891464950b07...d7134b306a17
656 2020-03-05T20:26:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4a7fd7a practicalswift: tests: Add amount compression/decompression fuzzing to existing fuzzing ha...
657 2020-03-05T20:26:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7e9c711 practicalswift: compressor: Make the domain of CompressAmount(...) explicit
658 2020-03-05T20:26:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d7134b3 MarcoFalke: Merge #17917: tests: Add amount compression/decompression fuzzing to exist...
659 2020-03-05T20:26:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
660 2020-03-05T20:27:16  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
661 2020-03-05T20:27:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17917: tests: Add amount compression/decompression fuzzing to existing fuzzing harness (master...amount-compression-roundtrip) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17917
662 2020-03-05T20:27:18  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
663 2020-03-05T20:29:02  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
664 2020-03-05T20:38:23  *** emilengler has quit IRC
665 2020-03-05T20:42:31  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
666 2020-03-05T20:42:46  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
667 2020-03-05T20:42:46  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d7134b306a17...a2b5aae9f347
668 2020-03-05T20:42:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c2bd588 practicalswift: Add missing includes
669 2020-03-05T20:42:47  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3c82b92 practicalswift: tests: Add fuzzing harness for functions taking floating-point types as in...
670 2020-03-05T20:42:48  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8f6fb0a practicalswift: tests: Add serialization/deserialization fuzzing for integral types
671 2020-03-05T20:42:49  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
672 2020-03-05T20:43:06  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
673 2020-03-05T20:43:06  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17996: tests: Add fuzzing harness for serialization/deserialization of floating-points and integrals (master...fuzzers-float) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17996
674 2020-03-05T20:43:07  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
675 2020-03-05T20:43:26  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
676 2020-03-05T20:43:26  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #18270: util: Fail to parse space-only strings in ParseMoney(...) (instead of parsing as zero) (master...parsemoney-followup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18270
677 2020-03-05T20:43:27  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
678 2020-03-05T20:48:47  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
679 2020-03-05T20:50:54  <sipa> MarcoFalke: it seems my bitcoind (commit a71c34742) died with boost::condition_variable::do_wait_until failed in pthread_cond_timedwait: Invalid argument  in debug.log
680 2020-03-05T20:51:20  <MarcoFalke> Did you close your laptop and open it after some time passed?
681 2020-03-05T20:51:27  <sipa> after waking up from standby
682 2020-03-05T20:51:47  <sipa> for 14.5 hours
683 2020-03-05T20:51:51  <sipa> yeah
684 2020-03-05T20:52:19  <MarcoFalke> This is the same bug we are seeing in the mockscheduler test
685 2020-03-05T20:52:25  <MarcoFalke> (I think)
686 2020-03-05T20:52:51  <sipa> Right, that's why i'm mentioning it... we thought it only affected tests, no?
687 2020-03-05T20:53:09  <MarcoFalke> #16027
688 2020-03-05T20:53:10  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16027 | client 0.18.0 crashes when computer wakes up from hibernation · Issue #16027 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
689 2020-03-05T20:53:41  *** michaelfolkson has quit IRC
690 2020-03-05T20:54:09  <luke-jr> bleh
691 2020-03-05T20:54:46  <MarcoFalke> I hope we can do #18234 for 0.20
692 2020-03-05T20:54:48  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18234 | refactor: Replace boost::mutex,condition_var,chrono with std equivalents in scheduler by ajtowns · Pull Request #18234 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
693 2020-03-05T20:55:17  <luke-jr> does the boost<1.50 code work on newest boost versions?
694 2020-03-05T20:55:25  <luke-jr> (timed_wait)
695 2020-03-05T21:00:02  *** gholms1 has quit IRC
696 2020-03-05T21:00:11  <luke-jr> maybe we should just remove the wait_until version for now?
697 2020-03-05T21:00:32  <MarcoFalke> I am pretty sure the 1.49 code is untested as well at this point. So instead of replacing one broken boost code with other broken boost code, we better remove boost
698 2020-03-05T21:01:04  *** captjakk has quit IRC
699 2020-03-05T21:02:00  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: I'm not sure that's a good approach for backports
700 2020-03-05T21:04:59  <MarcoFalke> How far should this be backported? All currently supported versions of Bitcoin Core are affected.
701 2020-03-05T21:07:11  *** michaelfolkson has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
702 2020-03-05T21:08:21  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: as far back as we still support, afaik just 0.18?
703 2020-03-05T21:08:29  <luke-jr> and even 0.18 might not see another release
704 2020-03-05T21:10:00  <MarcoFalke> Given that the issue happens only on machines that are human-attended (hibernate, standby), I'd say it is likely that when they upgrade they upgrade to the latest version, which would be 0.20
705 2020-03-05T21:11:53  *** pinheadmz has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
706 2020-03-05T21:12:43  *** Emcy has quit IRC
707 2020-03-05T21:14:33  <luke-jr> looks like timed_wait is implemented using the same code as wait_until
708 2020-03-05T21:14:35  *** Guyver2_ has quit IRC
709 2020-03-05T21:14:43  <MarcoFalke> ouch
710 2020-03-05T21:14:59  <luke-jr> humans do not necessarily want to upgrade to the latest branch
711 2020-03-05T21:16:12  <luke-jr> also, we have wait_until in other places with no <1.50 conditional.. do we actually still work wtih boost<1.50? O.o
712 2020-03-05T21:16:57  *** Chris_Stewart_5 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
713 2020-03-05T21:19:31  *** owowo has quit IRC
714 2020-03-05T21:20:22  *** suldev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
715 2020-03-05T21:20:48  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
716 2020-03-05T21:21:09  *** suldev has quit IRC
717 2020-03-05T21:22:12  *** netsoundW1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
718 2020-03-05T21:23:17  *** suldev has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
719 2020-03-05T21:25:02  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: I don't understand https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18227#issuecomment-592992100
720 2020-03-05T21:25:18  <MarcoFalke> we only support boost-1.53 (through centos 7) and up
721 2020-03-05T21:25:21  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: pthread_cond_timedwait takes an absolute time, NOT a time delta
722 2020-03-05T21:25:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
723 2020-03-05T21:25:36  <MarcoFalke> We have no infrastucture to support boost older than 1.53
724 2020-03-05T21:25:40  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: dependencies.md says 1.47
725 2020-03-05T21:26:21  <MarcoFalke> luke-jr: It will add the delta to the "internal clock" first
726 2020-03-05T21:26:29  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: it seems that passing a negative time to pthread_cond_timedwait SHOULD always be an error..
727 2020-03-05T21:27:17  <MarcoFalke> luke-jr: Not sure about that. Is there documentation available? I couldn't find any.
728 2020-03-05T21:27:27  <MarcoFalke> The problem might just be that nsecs is negative
729 2020-03-05T21:28:21  <luke-jr> oh, the monotonic clock might start at 0 when the boot happens
730 2020-03-05T21:28:31  <luke-jr> yes, nsecs negative is no doubt the issue
731 2020-03-05T21:28:42  <luke-jr> my manpage says       EINVAL The abstime argument specified a nanosecond value less than zero or greater than or equal to 1000 million.
732 2020-03-05T21:28:57  <MarcoFalke> luke-jr: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16381#issuecomment-522800024
733 2020-03-05T21:29:04  <luke-jr> unfortunately, this is internal to boost, so we can't just check for <0
734 2020-03-05T21:30:07  *** promag has quit IRC
735 2020-03-05T21:38:27  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: how about something like this until the std stuff is merged? http://dpaste.com/3YVVNBM
736 2020-03-05T21:38:51  <luke-jr> or rather http://dpaste.com/13NZMJG
737 2020-03-05T21:44:33  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
738 2020-03-05T21:44:33  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a2b5aae9f347...3f826598a42d
739 2020-03-05T21:44:33  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f4691b6 practicalswift: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CKey related functions
740 2020-03-05T21:44:34  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3f82659 MarcoFalke: Merge #17972: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CKey and key related function...
741 2020-03-05T21:44:35  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
742 2020-03-05T21:44:54  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
743 2020-03-05T21:44:54  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17972: tests: Add fuzzing harness for CKey and key related functions (master...fuzzers-key) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17972
744 2020-03-05T21:44:55  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
745 2020-03-05T21:47:27  *** Emcy has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
746 2020-03-05T21:59:51  *** suldev has quit IRC
747 2020-03-05T22:00:25  <hebasto> wumpus: mind re-opening #16381 ?
748 2020-03-05T22:00:26  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16381 | Set minimum required Boost to 1.53.0 by hebasto · Pull Request #16381 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
749 2020-03-05T22:02:42  *** manantial has quit IRC
750 2020-03-05T22:07:18  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
751 2020-03-05T22:07:18  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake reopened pull request #16381: Set minimum required Boost to 1.53.0 (master...20190713-bump-minimum-boost) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16381
752 2020-03-05T22:07:19  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
753 2020-03-05T22:07:34  <fanquake> hebasto: make sure you rebase on top of all the other boost sleep related PRs, so what should be left in 16381 is very minimal changes.
754 2020-03-05T22:07:54  <hebasto> fanquake: ok
755 2020-03-05T22:08:23  <luke-jr> well, it makes sense to drop compat stuff too
756 2020-03-05T22:08:37  <fanquake> yea, but that's already in #16117
757 2020-03-05T22:08:40  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16117 | util: Replace boost sleep with std sleep by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #16117 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
758 2020-03-05T22:08:49  <luke-jr> true
759 2020-03-05T22:09:27  <luke-jr> heh, I wonder if 16117 restores compat with older boost XD
760 2020-03-05T22:10:11  <fanquake> I did think that the more Boost we remove, the more likely we are to be compatible with older Boost
761 2020-03-05T22:10:54  <hebasto> fanquake: :)
762 2020-03-05T22:11:49  <luke-jr> hehe
763 2020-03-05T22:12:47  <sipa> so you're saying that if we reimplement boost from scratch ourselves, we'll no longer have these problems? ;)
764 2020-03-05T22:14:07  <fanquake> sipa: yes, assigning that task to you
765 2020-03-05T22:14:42  <MarcoFalke> > [16:38] <luke-jr> or rather http://dpaste.com/13NZMJG
766 2020-03-05T22:15:06  <MarcoFalke> I am fine with that, but I won't open the pull for it
767 2020-03-05T22:15:21  <fanquake> hebasto: btw, if you want to base on top of #18264, I've solved the merge conflicts already.
768 2020-03-05T22:15:22  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18264 | [WIP] build: Remove Boost Chrono by fanquake · Pull Request #18264 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
769 2020-03-05T22:16:11  <hebasto> fanquake: let me see..
770 2020-03-05T22:16:49  <fanquake> You'll still need the change in the linter though, as that's not in 16117
771 2020-03-05T22:18:23  <luke-jr> MarcoFalke: making a helper function to handle all locations
772 2020-03-05T22:22:43  <luke-jr> oh
773 2020-03-05T22:22:48  <luke-jr> those other wait_untils are std
774 2020-03-05T22:22:54  <luke-jr> so maybe older boost does work
775 2020-03-05T22:25:01  *** Emcy has quit IRC
776 2020-03-05T22:28:55  *** captjakk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
777 2020-03-05T22:37:49  *** belcher has quit IRC
778 2020-03-05T22:42:30  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
779 2020-03-05T22:43:21  *** someone235 has quit IRC
780 2020-03-05T22:44:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
781 2020-03-05T22:44:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] luke-jr opened pull request #18271: scheduler: Workaround negative nsecs bug in boost's wait_until (master...wrkarnd_boost_wait_until) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18271
782 2020-03-05T22:44:14  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
783 2020-03-05T22:44:58  *** zavan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
784 2020-03-05T22:46:04  *** captjakk_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
785 2020-03-05T22:49:36  *** captjakk has quit IRC
786 2020-03-05T22:53:44  *** kristapsk has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
787 2020-03-05T22:58:19  *** zavan has quit IRC
788 2020-03-05T22:58:38  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
789 2020-03-05T22:58:38  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Shmug5525 opened pull request #18272: Create Shmugi (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18272
790 2020-03-05T22:58:39  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
791 2020-03-05T22:59:03  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
792 2020-03-05T22:59:03  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #18272: Create Shmugi (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18272
793 2020-03-05T22:59:05  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
794 2020-03-05T22:59:28  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
795 2020-03-05T22:59:28  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Shmug5525 opened pull request #18273: Create Shmugi (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18273
796 2020-03-05T22:59:30  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
797 2020-03-05T23:05:22  *** sipsorcery has quit IRC
798 2020-03-05T23:06:03  *** shaunsun has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
799 2020-03-05T23:06:43  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
800 2020-03-05T23:06:43  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #18273: Create Shmugi (master...patch-1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18273
801 2020-03-05T23:06:44  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
802 2020-03-05T23:06:52  <fanquake> sipa: can you block Shmug5525
803 2020-03-05T23:07:45  <fanquake> Don't think the links are malware, just off to some random consulting company..
804 2020-03-05T23:14:05  *** promag has quit IRC
805 2020-03-05T23:29:34  *** sipsorcery has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
806 2020-03-05T23:35:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
807 2020-03-05T23:36:17  <sipa> fanquake: can't right now
808 2020-03-05T23:41:33  *** mdunnio has quit IRC
809 2020-03-05T23:44:26  *** mryandao_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
810 2020-03-05T23:44:45  *** promag has quit IRC
811 2020-03-05T23:45:35  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
812 2020-03-05T23:45:57  *** mryandao_ is now known as mryandao
813 2020-03-05T23:48:00  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
814 2020-03-05T23:57:52  *** jarthur_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev