1 2020-10-01T00:00:02  *** shaunm has quit IRC
  2 2020-10-01T00:00:12  *** Dean_Guss has quit IRC
  3 2020-10-01T00:05:36  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
  4 2020-10-01T00:14:25  <tryphe> sipa, i'm pretty sure windows marks applications as "hung" after a certain number of seconds if the window handle stops responding to an optimistic message, and closes any applications that are "hung"
  5 2020-10-01T00:14:36  <tryphe> sipa, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/assessments/shutdown-processes-duration
  6 2020-10-01T00:15:38  <tryphe> (first paragraph)
  7 2020-10-01T00:16:55  <tryphe> there's a registry value called HungAppTimeout that you can change to modify the timeout, though. not sure if that's useful though.
  8 2020-10-01T00:17:18  <tryphe> seems like the right thing to do would be to figure out why it doesn't respond to that message, but it might be a bit hairy trying to debug that
  9 2020-10-01T00:19:11  <sipa> tryphe: yes, but that doesn't sound like what's going on here
 10 2020-10-01T00:20:01  <tryphe> could be, but i have some machines where that behavior happens to other applications, not just bitcoin (i don't run bitcoin on windows though so can't say)
 11 2020-10-01T00:21:18  *** schmichael1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 12 2020-10-01T00:31:22  *** jaybny has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 13 2020-10-01T00:35:37  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 14 2020-10-01T00:45:23  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 15 2020-10-01T01:08:56  *** kljasdfvv has quit IRC
 16 2020-10-01T01:09:47  *** owowo has quit IRC
 17 2020-10-01T01:11:34  *** nckx has quit IRC
 18 2020-10-01T01:11:37  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 19 2020-10-01T01:13:46  *** promag has quit IRC
 20 2020-10-01T01:14:25  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 21 2020-10-01T01:16:44  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 22 2020-10-01T01:27:05  *** jaybny has quit IRC
 23 2020-10-01T01:35:04  *** Eagle[TM] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 24 2020-10-01T01:35:29  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 25 2020-10-01T01:36:13  *** EagleTM has quit IRC
 26 2020-10-01T01:44:08  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 27 2020-10-01T01:51:41  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 28 2020-10-01T02:02:20  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
 29 2020-10-01T02:05:23  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 30 2020-10-01T02:05:36  *** GankMove has quit IRC
 31 2020-10-01T02:25:24  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 32 2020-10-01T02:26:41  *** kljasdfvv has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 33 2020-10-01T02:44:47  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
 34 2020-10-01T03:00:02  *** schmichael1 has quit IRC
 35 2020-10-01T03:22:12  *** Iam_thor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 36 2020-10-01T03:34:26  *** davterra has quit IRC
 37 2020-10-01T03:34:52  *** davterra has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 38 2020-10-01T04:00:03  *** achow101 has quit IRC
 39 2020-10-01T04:00:13  *** achow101 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 40 2020-10-01T04:22:17  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 41 2020-10-01T04:22:42  *** nckx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 42 2020-10-01T04:30:09  *** dermoth_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 43 2020-10-01T04:30:28  *** dermoth has quit IRC
 44 2020-10-01T04:30:30  *** dermoth_ is now known as dermoth
 45 2020-10-01T04:56:10  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 46 2020-10-01T05:09:27  *** jonatack has quit IRC
 47 2020-10-01T05:17:43  *** owowo has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 48 2020-10-01T05:21:48  *** DeanGuss has quit IRC
 49 2020-10-01T05:21:58  *** DeanGuss has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 50 2020-10-01T05:30:13  *** justanotheruser has quit IRC
 51 2020-10-01T05:33:59  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 52 2020-10-01T05:40:01  *** rh0nj has quit IRC
 53 2020-10-01T05:41:08  *** rh0nj has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 54 2020-10-01T05:54:59  *** S3RK has quit IRC
 55 2020-10-01T05:55:37  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 56 2020-10-01T06:00:02  *** Iam_thor has quit IRC
 57 2020-10-01T06:00:07  *** S3RK has quit IRC
 58 2020-10-01T06:10:12  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 59 2020-10-01T06:16:03  *** jb55 has quit IRC
 60 2020-10-01T06:20:15  *** andreacab has quit IRC
 61 2020-10-01T06:22:02  *** Alphi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 62 2020-10-01T06:25:08  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 63 2020-10-01T06:37:15  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 64 2020-10-01T06:37:28  *** marcoagner has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 65 2020-10-01T06:43:10  *** S3RK has quit IRC
 66 2020-10-01T06:46:03  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 67 2020-10-01T06:52:52  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 68 2020-10-01T06:53:57  *** promag has quit IRC
 69 2020-10-01T06:54:11  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 70 2020-10-01T06:54:35  *** felixweis has quit IRC
 71 2020-10-01T06:54:35  *** ahmed_ has quit IRC
 72 2020-10-01T06:54:35  *** fjahr has quit IRC
 73 2020-10-01T07:05:07  <promag> MarcoFalke: please see #20017
 74 2020-10-01T07:05:09  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20017 | rpc: Add RPCContext by promag · Pull Request #20017 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
 75 2020-10-01T07:11:48  *** promag has quit IRC
 76 2020-10-01T07:12:22  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 77 2020-10-01T07:15:36  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 78 2020-10-01T07:18:51  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 79 2020-10-01T07:18:51  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] kallewoof closed pull request #20045: upstream: add and use defaulted getters to UniValue (master...202009-defaulted-get) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20045
 80 2020-10-01T07:18:58  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 81 2020-10-01T07:21:07  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 82 2020-10-01T07:21:07  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake closed pull request #19785: build: lrelease requires xml if not cross-building (master...200823-xml) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19785
 83 2020-10-01T07:21:08  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 84 2020-10-01T07:24:27  *** jaybny has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 85 2020-10-01T07:25:44  *** cloudhead has quit IRC
 86 2020-10-01T07:26:22  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
 87 2020-10-01T07:29:17  *** andreacab has quit IRC
 88 2020-10-01T07:44:58  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 89 2020-10-01T07:44:59  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 8 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3487e421a7fe...40aab35e9828
 90 2020-10-01T07:45:00  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e455713 John Newbery: [tests] Move bech32 unit tests to test framework
 91 2020-10-01T07:45:00  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 011e784 John Newbery: [tests] Rename segwit encode and decode functions
 92 2020-10-01T07:45:01  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7f639df John Newbery: [tests] Remove unused optional verify_checksum parameter
 93 2020-10-01T07:45:03  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 94 2020-10-01T07:45:53  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 95 2020-10-01T07:45:53  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #19253: Tests: tidy up address.py and segwit_addr.py (master...2020-06-addr-unit-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19253
 96 2020-10-01T07:45:59  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
 97 2020-10-01T07:46:12  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 98 2020-10-01T07:47:08  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
 99 2020-10-01T07:52:43  *** Lightsword has quit IRC
100 2020-10-01T07:53:28  *** Lightsword has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
101 2020-10-01T07:55:23  *** yanmaani has quit IRC
102 2020-10-01T07:56:07  *** yanmaani has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
103 2020-10-01T07:56:33  *** JD2983 has quit IRC
104 2020-10-01T07:56:37  *** JD2983_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
105 2020-10-01T07:56:57  <vasild> jonatack: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19954#pullrequestreview-499530501 "Should we test for both msg_addr and msg_addrv2?"
106 2020-10-01T07:57:04  <vasild> Right! Good question :)
107 2020-10-01T07:58:09  <vasild> I was thinking that it is possible to change the py testing framework to always announce support for addrv2 which would flip all tests to use addrv2 but then addr will be untested... hmm
108 2020-10-01T08:03:26  <wumpus> tryphe: oh no, if so it's just a new symptom of the old 'we hang the UI event loop on everything' problem
109 2020-10-01T08:06:56  <wumpus> in any case I don't remember the windows shutdown detection code changing recently
110 2020-10-01T08:07:27  *** ahmed_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
111 2020-10-01T08:07:28  *** felixweis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
112 2020-10-01T08:07:28  *** fjahr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
113 2020-10-01T08:07:39  <wumpus> but it would be good if anyone that runs windows could check this
114 2020-10-01T08:09:20  *** promag_ has quit IRC
115 2020-10-01T08:09:36  <jonatack> vasild: indeed, i wondered how much extra effort it would be to test both and started doing it, then stopped before the rabbit hole "nah...i'll ask the question" ;)
116 2020-10-01T08:10:55  <vasild> git grep msg_addr ./test/functional/
117 2020-10-01T08:11:07  <wumpus> not seeing anything that could break the shutdown monitor in the git log for winshutdownmonitor.cpp, the last change of any significance was removing OpenSSL seeding in 2019, which jus removes an if() statement, before that it effectively wasn't teouched since the file was first introduced
118 2020-10-01T08:11:23  <fanquake> wumpus: I did try this morning and from what I remember I didn't see a shutdown window
119 2020-10-01T08:11:26  <fanquake> Will test again
120 2020-10-01T08:11:34  <vasild> jonatack: p2p_addr_relay.py is the only test that uses msg_addr!?
121 2020-10-01T08:11:53  <wumpus> fanquake: okay, worrying then :/
122 2020-10-01T08:12:21  <jonatack> vasild: seems so
123 2020-10-01T08:13:39  <vasild> jonatack: I assumed there were many others that would keep testing msg_addr when p2p_addr_relay.py is converted to use msg_addrv2, but if that test is the only one testing msg_addr, then we better not stop it
124 2020-10-01T08:14:04  <jonatack> yes, initially it didn't seem to be too much extra effort to test both
125 2020-10-01T08:14:41  <wumpus> the only thing I can think of, besides Windows deprecating this way of detecting shutdown, is that it might be one of the Qt updates breaking how native event filters work?
126 2020-10-01T08:15:00  *** marcoagner has quit IRC
127 2020-10-01T08:15:13  <wumpus> I honestly don't know though I'd expect much more complaints if this really doesn't work anymore
128 2020-10-01T08:18:43  *** Guyver2 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
129 2020-10-01T08:31:30  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
130 2020-10-01T08:32:09  *** CubicEarth has quit IRC
131 2020-10-01T08:33:35  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
132 2020-10-01T08:34:04  *** CubicEarth has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
133 2020-10-01T08:37:41  *** promag_ has quit IRC
134 2020-10-01T08:38:16  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
135 2020-10-01T08:38:36  <jnewbery> #proposedmeetingtopic merging PR 19953 (taproot)
136 2020-10-01T08:39:19  *** promag_ has quit IRC
137 2020-10-01T08:40:43  <vasild> MarcoFalke: why those builds on 18750? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18750#event-3822788532
138 2020-10-01T08:41:17  <vasild> to test that compilation works on more platforms than CI?
139 2020-10-01T08:43:29  *** promag__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
140 2020-10-01T08:44:01  <vasild> btw, guix_build.log for master is 35M while for master+PR 3.4MB
141 2020-10-01T08:51:49  *** S3RK has quit IRC
142 2020-10-01T08:52:42  *** promag__ has quit IRC
143 2020-10-01T08:52:42  *** felixweis has quit IRC
144 2020-10-01T08:52:42  *** ahmed_ has quit IRC
145 2020-10-01T08:52:42  *** fjahr has quit IRC
146 2020-10-01T08:55:25  *** nckx has quit IRC
147 2020-10-01T08:55:48  *** nckx has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
148 2020-10-01T09:00:01  *** Alphi has quit IRC
149 2020-10-01T09:10:10  *** promag__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
150 2020-10-01T09:10:10  *** ahmed_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
151 2020-10-01T09:10:10  *** felixweis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
152 2020-10-01T09:10:10  *** fjahr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
153 2020-10-01T09:11:12  *** promag__ has quit IRC
154 2020-10-01T09:11:32  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
155 2020-10-01T09:22:07  *** kini1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
156 2020-10-01T09:29:18  <fanquake> wumpus: I tried again, and didn't see a shutdown dialog, but that's also might be because Windows threw up another shutting down overlay, which might have hid it.
157 2020-10-01T09:30:29  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
158 2020-10-01T09:31:13  <wumpus> fanquake: maybe a test like would be useful: add a sleep during shutdown to make sure it's slow, then shut down windows, afterwards check the log if it got to the end or was interrupted
159 2020-10-01T09:31:44  <wumpus> also maybe check for the message (if we log any) that the shutdown request came in
160 2020-10-01T09:32:50  <wumpus> after all, the issue here would be not so much not seeing the shutdown window but that it shuts down unclean
161 2020-10-01T09:32:55  <fanquake> wumpus: I'll take a look at it tonight
162 2020-10-01T09:33:08  <wumpus> thanks!
163 2020-10-01T09:34:04  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
164 2020-10-01T09:34:47  <wumpus> (looking at the code: no we don't log any specific message if WM_QUERYENDSESSION comes in, nor on registering the shutdown handler itself, though it does log if it fails for some erason)
165 2020-10-01T09:35:50  *** promag_ has quit IRC
166 2020-10-01T09:37:58  <wumpus> it might make sense to add those things to make troubleshooting easier
167 2020-10-01T09:42:49  *** S3RK has quit IRC
168 2020-10-01T09:43:25  *** isis_ has quit IRC
169 2020-10-01T09:43:38  *** isis_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
170 2020-10-01T09:49:32  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
171 2020-10-01T09:55:01  *** AaronvanW has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
172 2020-10-01T09:55:56  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
173 2020-10-01T09:59:30  *** Aaronvan_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
174 2020-10-01T10:00:42  *** Aaronva__ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
175 2020-10-01T10:02:07  *** AaronvanW has quit IRC
176 2020-10-01T10:03:47  *** Aaronvan_ has quit IRC
177 2020-10-01T10:04:43  *** jb55 has quit IRC
178 2020-10-01T10:05:37  *** jb55 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
179 2020-10-01T10:10:23  *** vasild has quit IRC
180 2020-10-01T10:15:06  *** jonatack has quit IRC
181 2020-10-01T10:17:10  *** vasild has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
182 2020-10-01T10:18:31  *** Mortimer82Collie has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
183 2020-10-01T10:20:24  <kallewoof> i get a bunch of errors about inline asm when i try -fsanitize=address on a mac. is that normal?
184 2020-10-01T10:22:54  *** wullon587 has quit IRC
185 2020-10-01T10:23:23  *** Mortimer82Collie has quit IRC
186 2020-10-01T10:23:43  *** braydonf has quit IRC
187 2020-10-01T10:33:05  *** jaybny has quit IRC
188 2020-10-01T10:36:04  *** Asbestos_Vapor has quit IRC
189 2020-10-01T10:36:32  *** Asbestos_Vapor has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
190 2020-10-01T10:37:11  *** braydonf has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
191 2020-10-01T10:38:29  *** andreacab has quit IRC
192 2020-10-01T10:45:55  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
193 2020-10-01T10:50:35  *** pingwindyktator has quit IRC
194 2020-10-01T10:51:11  *** S3RK has quit IRC
195 2020-10-01T10:51:40  *** pingwindyktator has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
196 2020-10-01T10:51:40  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
197 2020-10-01T10:53:45  *** S3RK has quit IRC
198 2020-10-01T10:53:54  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
199 2020-10-01T10:56:07  *** Tennis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
200 2020-10-01T11:18:48  *** promag has quit IRC
201 2020-10-01T11:19:00  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
202 2020-10-01T11:20:27  *** S3RK has quit IRC
203 2020-10-01T11:20:54  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
204 2020-10-01T11:24:55  *** S3RK has quit IRC
205 2020-10-01T11:31:13  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
206 2020-10-01T11:31:13  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/40aab35e9828...9fc2f011ba17
207 2020-10-01T11:31:14  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6fccad7 Jon Atack: signet: do not log signet startup messages for other chains
208 2020-10-01T11:31:15  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9fc2f01 MarcoFalke: Merge #20048: chainparams: do not log signet startup messages for other ch...
209 2020-10-01T11:31:16  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
210 2020-10-01T11:31:32  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
211 2020-10-01T11:31:32  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20048: chainparams: do not log signet startup messages for other chains (master...signet-startup-logging-bugfix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20048
212 2020-10-01T11:31:33  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
213 2020-10-01T11:48:11  *** gleb has quit IRC
214 2020-10-01T11:50:12  *** gleb has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
215 2020-10-01T11:57:16  *** andreacab has quit IRC
216 2020-10-01T11:57:35  *** promag has quit IRC
217 2020-10-01T11:58:14  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
218 2020-10-01T12:00:02  *** kini1 has quit IRC
219 2020-10-01T12:00:07  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
220 2020-10-01T12:02:38  <MarcoFalke> vasild: The builds are just to confirm our guix/gitian build doesn't break. I ask DrahtBot to do those on "risky" build system changes
221 2020-10-01T12:04:47  *** S3RK has quit IRC
222 2020-10-01T12:06:09  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
223 2020-10-01T12:21:55  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
224 2020-10-01T12:22:14  *** kro[au] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
225 2020-10-01T12:37:14  *** mol has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
226 2020-10-01T12:39:34  *** mol_ has quit IRC
227 2020-10-01T12:59:34  <vasild> MarcoFalke: ok, did it break? (it is not obvious to me from the logs, but I think not)
228 2020-10-01T12:59:57  <MarcoFalke> no, it didn't break ;)
229 2020-10-01T13:00:21  <vasild> do you think that it makes sense to do one test run with the new option enabled? because by default it is disabled which means no change in behavior
230 2020-10-01T13:00:44  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
231 2020-10-01T13:19:46  *** Aaronva__ is now known as AaronvanW
232 2020-10-01T13:28:36  *** andreacab has quit IRC
233 2020-10-01T13:32:17  <aj> sipa: hmm. every single binary in src/test/fuzz is ~185MB for me (following the instructions in doc/fuzzzing.md). 117MB stripped, by the looks. total of 18G for src/test/fuzz, 22G for src
234 2020-10-01T13:34:01  <wumpus> aj: that's large even for a static build
235 2020-10-01T13:34:56  <aj> wumpus: hmm, bitcoind is 83M unstripped, 16M stripped for me
236 2020-10-01T13:35:20  <aj> ./configure CC=clang CXX=clang++ --with-incompatible-bdb --enable-zmq --enable-debug --enable-werror --enable-fuzz --with-sanitizers=address,fuzzer,undefined
237 2020-10-01T13:35:40  <wumpus> aj: for comparision, stripped x86_64 bitcoind 0.20.1 from the release is 10M
238 2020-10-01T13:36:34  <wumpus> bitcoin-qt is 31MB, for reference, that includes a large part of whopping qt statically
239 2020-10-01T13:36:46  <wumpus> I'm not sure what's happening in your case but it's fairly weird
240 2020-10-01T13:37:15  <aj> wumpus: bitcoind with same options but not zmq or fuzz or sanitizers is 8MB stripped for me
241 2020-10-01T13:37:24  <aj> (134M unstripped)
242 2020-10-01T13:38:10  <wumpus> ohh, yes it's not unreasonable that the sanitizers that add extra code size
243 2020-10-01T13:38:27  <aj> wumpus: debian testing, clang 9 apparently
244 2020-10-01T13:38:43  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
245 2020-10-01T13:38:45  <wumpus> zmq or not should hardly make a difference
246 2020-10-01T13:39:18  <aj> yeah, just happened to have the non-zmq binary and config options handy
247 2020-10-01T13:39:40  <aj> maybe fuzzing.md shouldn't recommend with-sanitizers in its quickstart section then?
248 2020-10-01T13:40:39  <wumpus> I suppose it does make the fuzzing more effective, which might be considered worth the extra harddisk usage
249 2020-10-01T13:43:19  <aj> oh well, i guess now i've got more disk space free it doesn't matter to me?
250 2020-10-01T13:54:45  *** filchef has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
251 2020-10-01T14:01:03  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
252 2020-10-01T14:01:51  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
253 2020-10-01T14:07:13  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
254 2020-10-01T14:12:12  *** S3RK has quit IRC
255 2020-10-01T14:22:38  *** IGHOR has quit IRC
256 2020-10-01T14:25:46  <hebasto> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/967 is merged
257 2020-10-01T14:27:12  <vasild> \o/
258 2020-10-01T14:30:27  *** andreacab has quit IRC
259 2020-10-01T14:32:59  *** opsec_x12 has quit IRC
260 2020-10-01T14:33:23  *** opsec_x12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
261 2020-10-01T14:34:17  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
262 2020-10-01T14:36:01  *** andreacab has quit IRC
263 2020-10-01T14:36:29  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
264 2020-10-01T14:36:45  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
265 2020-10-01T14:41:12  *** andreacab has quit IRC
266 2020-10-01T14:42:05  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
267 2020-10-01T14:43:58  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
268 2020-10-01T14:44:49  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
269 2020-10-01T14:44:49  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20054: Remove confusing and useless "unexpected version" warning (master...2010-valRemVerWarn) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20054
270 2020-10-01T14:44:50  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
271 2020-10-01T14:50:22  *** andreacab has quit IRC
272 2020-10-01T14:52:41  *** promag has quit IRC
273 2020-10-01T14:52:55  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
274 2020-10-01T15:00:01  *** kro[au] has quit IRC
275 2020-10-01T15:07:23  *** nthumann has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
276 2020-10-01T15:13:43  <nthumann> Hey there! I´m looking for some feedback/tests of my PR #18309, so feel free to leave a comment, if you have some spare time :)
277 2020-10-01T15:13:45  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18309 | zmq: Add support to listen on multiple interfaces by n-thumann · Pull Request #18309 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
278 2020-10-01T15:22:03  *** Alucard has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
279 2020-10-01T15:30:06  <luke-jr> nthumann: looks simple and good to me
280 2020-10-01T15:31:59  *** kexkey has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
281 2020-10-01T15:34:56  <nthumann> luke-jr thanks :)
282 2020-10-01T15:36:05  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
283 2020-10-01T15:36:05  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #20055: rpc: Set HTTP Content-Type in bitcoin-cli (master...2020_10_cli_contenttype) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20055
284 2020-10-01T15:36:06  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
285 2020-10-01T15:38:07  <wumpus> nthumann: looks good to me and has a test
286 2020-10-01T15:40:57  <wumpus> I also see no reason why this would *not* be allowed
287 2020-10-01T15:43:42  <instagibbs> nthumann, bugging on IRC works! ;P
288 2020-10-01T15:43:44  <instagibbs> RFM imo
289 2020-10-01T15:44:09  *** opsec_x12 has quit IRC
290 2020-10-01T15:44:10  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
291 2020-10-01T15:44:10  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 6 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9fc2f011ba17...a0185d90a7f2
292 2020-10-01T15:44:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 347c94f Nicolas Thumann: zmq: Add support to listen on multiple interfaces
293 2020-10-01T15:44:11  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b1c3f18 nthumann: doc: Adjust ZMQ usage to support multiple interfaces
294 2020-10-01T15:44:12  <bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a0b2e5c nthumann: doc: Add release notes to support multiple interfaces
295 2020-10-01T15:44:13  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
296 2020-10-01T15:44:37  *** opsec_x12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
297 2020-10-01T15:45:08  <luke-jr> lol
298 2020-10-01T15:45:28  <instagibbs> I forgot how simple it was, would have re-acked earlier
299 2020-10-01T15:45:40  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
300 2020-10-01T15:45:40  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #18309: zmq: Add support to listen on multiple interfaces (master...zmq-listen-multiple-interfaces) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18309
301 2020-10-01T15:45:41  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
302 2020-10-01T15:46:45  *** Talkless has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
303 2020-10-01T15:47:45  <instagibbs> I was harassing nthumann on email to re-review my zmq PR :P
304 2020-10-01T15:48:21  *** opsec_x12 has quit IRC
305 2020-10-01T15:48:53  *** opsec_x12 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
306 2020-10-01T15:50:43  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
307 2020-10-01T15:51:39  <wumpus> yes, bugging on IRC works
308 2020-10-01T15:51:56  <luke-jr> for simple stuff anyway
309 2020-10-01T15:52:37  <nthumann> instagibbs don´t worry about it :D
310 2020-10-01T15:55:52  *** justanotheruser has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
311 2020-10-01T15:58:16  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
312 2020-10-01T15:58:16  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20056: net: Use Span in ReceiveMsgBytes (master...2010-netSpan) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20056
313 2020-10-01T15:58:17  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
314 2020-10-01T16:04:19  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
315 2020-10-01T16:04:28  <wumpus> luke-jr: or in any case, almost-ready PRs
316 2020-10-01T16:06:00  *** jonatack has quit IRC
317 2020-10-01T16:09:56  *** promag has quit IRC
318 2020-10-01T16:10:35  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
319 2020-10-01T16:14:01  *** nthumann has quit IRC
320 2020-10-01T16:15:04  *** jonatack has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
321 2020-10-01T16:21:54  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
322 2020-10-01T16:21:54  *** promag has quit IRC
323 2020-10-01T16:23:23  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
324 2020-10-01T16:26:44  <achow101> is the arm travis failure a thing now or am I doing somethign wrong?
325 2020-10-01T16:27:39  *** roconnor has quit IRC
326 2020-10-01T16:29:34  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
327 2020-10-01T16:29:34  *** promag_ has quit IRC
328 2020-10-01T16:29:54  *** promag has quit IRC
329 2020-10-01T16:30:32  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
330 2020-10-01T16:32:08  <wumpus> oh no... what now?
331 2020-10-01T16:32:26  <wumpus> the same one that jnewbery reported yesterday?
332 2020-10-01T16:33:22  <achow101> yes
333 2020-10-01T16:33:39  <achow101> showing up on most (all?) of my PRs
334 2020-10-01T16:34:08  <wumpus> okay
335 2020-10-01T16:35:04  <wumpus> it seems to have passed on the PR I just opened
336 2020-10-01T16:35:51  <achow101> it passed on one of the prs I updated yesterday, but not the others
337 2020-10-01T16:38:50  <achow101> it seems to just be timing out. the log isn't terribly helpful, just a bunch of dots
338 2020-10-01T16:38:57  <achow101> e.g. https://travis-ci.org/github/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/723672782
339 2020-10-01T16:39:22  <wumpus> yes the error is terribly unhelpful, it seems like simply a timeout
340 2020-10-01T16:40:12  <wumpus> same as for previous reported ones, "Ran for 1 hr 4 min 38 sec" looks like there's a cutoff point there
341 2020-10-01T16:40:18  <wumpus> restarted it
342 2020-10-01T16:40:23  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
343 2020-10-01T16:41:07  <achow101> usually travis says something about timing out when it times out
344 2020-10-01T16:44:02  <achow101> if there's a cutoff, it's not consistent. https://travis-ci.org/github/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/731742236 ran for 1 hr 17 min and passed
345 2020-10-01T16:44:53  <sipa> there is a cutoff at 10 minutes of non-activity, but that's what the dots prevent
346 2020-10-01T16:47:21  <achow101> and usually there's a message saying it timed out
347 2020-10-01T16:54:47  *** promag has quit IRC
348 2020-10-01T16:54:59  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
349 2020-10-01T16:57:00  *** [\\\] has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
350 2020-10-01T16:58:08  *** tripleslash has quit IRC
351 2020-10-01T17:15:55  <wumpus> right, there's no message at all of any exit status, it just stops
352 2020-10-01T17:15:55  *** promag has quit IRC
353 2020-10-01T17:16:17  <wumpus> I have not seen any problems on ARM locally so I'm fairly sure this is a travis problem
354 2020-10-01T17:16:34  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
355 2020-10-01T17:17:35  <achow101> travis and random unexplainable issues, name a more iconic duo
356 2020-10-01T17:18:09  <wumpus> heh
357 2020-10-01T17:19:50  <sipa> haha
358 2020-10-01T17:22:58  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
359 2020-10-01T17:27:42  *** S3RK has quit IRC
360 2020-10-01T17:38:03  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
361 2020-10-01T17:56:26  *** promag has quit IRC
362 2020-10-01T17:56:58  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
363 2020-10-01T18:00:02  *** Alucard has quit IRC
364 2020-10-01T18:00:02  *** promag has quit IRC
365 2020-10-01T18:00:24  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
366 2020-10-01T18:00:57  *** felixweis has quit IRC
367 2020-10-01T18:00:57  *** ahmed_ has quit IRC
368 2020-10-01T18:00:57  *** fjahr has quit IRC
369 2020-10-01T18:02:48  *** watchtower has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
370 2020-10-01T18:05:17  *** promag_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
371 2020-10-01T18:05:17  *** promag has quit IRC
372 2020-10-01T18:07:33  *** watchtower has left #bitcoin-core-dev
373 2020-10-01T18:08:48  *** watchtower has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
374 2020-10-01T18:17:20  *** watchtower has left #bitcoin-core-dev
375 2020-10-01T18:18:47  *** lordnoid1 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
376 2020-10-01T18:44:35  *** sdaftuar has quit IRC
377 2020-10-01T18:45:18  *** sdaftuar has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
378 2020-10-01T18:47:28  *** ahmed_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
379 2020-10-01T18:47:28  *** felixweis has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
380 2020-10-01T18:47:28  *** fjahr has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
381 2020-10-01T18:50:00  *** IGHOR has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
382 2020-10-01T18:57:29  <aj> luke-jr: ping re bips PRs 978 and 1000
383 2020-10-01T18:58:12  *** promag_ has quit IRC
384 2020-10-01T18:58:25  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
385 2020-10-01T18:58:41  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
386 2020-10-01T19:00:21  <wumpus> #startmeeting
387 2020-10-01T19:00:21  <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct  1 19:00:21 2020 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
388 2020-10-01T19:00:21  <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
389 2020-10-01T19:00:21  *** sr_gi has quit IRC
390 2020-10-01T19:00:22  <promag> meeting?
391 2020-10-01T19:00:23  <jnewbery> hi
392 2020-10-01T19:00:27  <promag> oh, hi
393 2020-10-01T19:00:28  <hebasto> hi
394 2020-10-01T19:00:38  <amiti> hi
395 2020-10-01T19:00:41  <aj> hi
396 2020-10-01T19:00:44  <achow101> hi
397 2020-10-01T19:00:47  <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james
398 2020-10-01T19:00:49  <wumpus> amiti fjahr jeremyrubin lightlike emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55 elichai2
399 2020-10-01T19:00:54  <ariard> hi
400 2020-10-01T19:00:56  *** sr_gi has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
401 2020-10-01T19:00:58  <provoostenator> hi
402 2020-10-01T19:01:05  <meshcollider> hi
403 2020-10-01T19:01:07  <dongcarl> hi
404 2020-10-01T19:01:30  <sipa> hi
405 2020-10-01T19:01:38  <luke-jr> hi
406 2020-10-01T19:01:45  <jonatack> kon'nichiwa
407 2020-10-01T19:01:53  <wumpus> one proposed topic for today:  merging PR 19953 (taproot) (jnewbery)
408 2020-10-01T19:02:45  <wumpus> any last minute suggestions?
409 2020-10-01T19:03:23  <kanzure> hi
410 2020-10-01T19:03:47  <wumpus> jonatack: こんにちは
411 2020-10-01T19:03:59  <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
412 2020-10-01T19:04:39  <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8  12 blockers, 1 bugfix, 2 chasing concept ACK
413 2020-10-01T19:04:48  <promag> please remove mine from hp, it doesn't help getting more reviews
414 2020-10-01T19:05:05  <wumpus> ok
415 2020-10-01T19:05:49  <wumpus> yes, anything concerning libevent initialization/shutdown is notoriously hard to review
416 2020-10-01T19:06:31  <promag> basically it will wait for you ^^
417 2020-10-01T19:07:02  <wumpus> well the PR seemed really tricky to me... I think what we need is a clear test, and then to test with different versions of libevent
418 2020-10-01T19:07:33  <wumpus> I can't judge just from the code change wether it's better or not
419 2020-10-01T19:07:39  <promag> ok, then I guess I need to make it clear and improve testing!
420 2020-10-01T19:08:48  *** Talkless has quit IRC
421 2020-10-01T19:09:18  <wumpus> it's kind of awkward we've had a history of PRs like that, and it never really fixed the problem, we'll really want to make sure we get it right this time or it doesn't make sense to make another change there
422 2020-10-01T19:09:20  <wumpus> thanks!
423 2020-10-01T19:10:10  <wumpus> anything else for high prio?
424 2020-10-01T19:10:28  <sipa> #19953 ? :)
425 2020-10-01T19:10:31  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19953 | Implement BIP 340-342 validation (Schnorr/taproot/tapscript) by sipa · Pull Request #19953 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
426 2020-10-01T19:10:47  <sipa> oh, it is
427 2020-10-01T19:10:49  *** andreacab has quit IRC
428 2020-10-01T19:10:57  <wumpus> hehe
429 2020-10-01T19:11:16  *** andreacab has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
430 2020-10-01T19:11:30  <wumpus> that's also the other topic
431 2020-10-01T19:12:07  <wumpus> #topic Merging PR 19953 (taproot) (jnewbery)
432 2020-10-01T19:12:21  <jnewbery> Hi!
433 2020-10-01T19:12:27  <jnewbery> Apologies if eveyone else is already on the same page on this and I'm just not keeping up.
434 2020-10-01T19:12:32  <jnewbery> What are people's hopes for when the Taproot PR gets merged?
435 2020-10-01T19:12:35  <jnewbery> Feature freeze is in a couple of weeks, and it seems optimistic to get it merged before then.
436 2020-10-01T19:12:43  <jnewbery> But if we want it included in v0.21.1, I think it makes sense to be merged very soon after the v0.21 branch, to make back-porting easier.
437 2020-10-01T19:12:51  <jnewbery> So in my mind, it's the priority as soon as v0.21 gets branched, and before any big refactors (eg switching things to C++17) go in.
438 2020-10-01T19:12:57  <jnewbery> Is that what other people are thinking too?
439 2020-10-01T19:13:04  <jnewbery> (I'm personally prioritizing #19988 ahead of it for my reviews, because I think it'd be good to get that in 0.21)
440 2020-10-01T19:13:07  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19988 | Overhaul transaction request logic by sipa · Pull Request #19988 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
441 2020-10-01T19:13:11  <luke-jr> jnewbery: before the branch?
442 2020-10-01T19:13:22  <luke-jr> after the branch is too late, isn't it?
443 2020-10-01T19:13:27  <sipa> i was hoping before the branch, but it's obviously not up to me
444 2020-10-01T19:13:34  <sipa> i do think the PR is essentially done
445 2020-10-01T19:13:48  <wumpus> yep, FWIW today was the translations freeze, feature freeze is in 14 days: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18947
446 2020-10-01T19:14:02  <aj> i thought before the branch was still plausible; also prioritising 19988, but i think it's just about there
447 2020-10-01T19:14:13  <promag> no backport after branch off right?
448 2020-10-01T19:14:32  <luke-jr> promag: softforks should always be backported to anything supported
449 2020-10-01T19:14:45  <luke-jr> not necessarily until activation is set tho
450 2020-10-01T19:14:47  <wumpus> yes, softforks are always backported
451 2020-10-01T19:15:15  <wumpus> but it would be good to get that in before the branch-off if it's ready anyway
452 2020-10-01T19:15:36  <jnewbery> it currently has two ACKs (instagibbs and benthecarmen). Feels like now would be the time to review if anyone was waiting for the right moment!
453 2020-10-01T19:15:41  <ariard> sounds good to prioritize 19988, I had the same PR order
454 2020-10-01T19:15:52  <jonatack> agree. i was thinking the same as aj and sipa WRT these two PRs, 19953 and 19988
455 2020-10-01T19:15:57  *** andreacab has quit IRC
456 2020-10-01T19:16:19  <jonatack> (along with the tor v3 support)
457 2020-10-01T19:16:29  <sipa> it seems silly to say "merge right after branch", if it's ready to merge at that point, it's also ready to merge before
458 2020-10-01T19:16:44  <achow101> i'll move it to the top of my review queue
459 2020-10-01T19:17:13  <wumpus> sipa: right, 'merge after branch' is for features that shouldn't be backported
460 2020-10-01T19:17:30  <sipa> or for very invasive refactors perhaps
461 2020-10-01T19:17:35  <wumpus> yes
462 2020-10-01T19:17:49  <sipa> of course, if it isn't ready before, it isn't, and that should be that
463 2020-10-01T19:18:01  <jnewbery> sipa: I meant "if it's not ready to merge at branch, then it should be a priority to get it reviewed/merged as soon as possible", not "don't merge it before the branch even if it's ready"
464 2020-10-01T19:18:10  <sipa> jnewbery: right, that makes sense
465 2020-10-01T19:19:10  <sipa> in any case, the outstanding things i have for 19953 at this point are a few review comments (which will just result in added code comments for clarification), and documenting the process of creating the JSON unit test data
466 2020-10-01T19:19:28  <sipa> https://github.com/bitcoin-core/qa-assets/pull/27 FWIW
467 2020-10-01T19:19:32  <wumpus> so just documentation work
468 2020-10-01T19:19:49  <ariard> I still want to review in-depth the test coverage, but that said 14 days is largely enough
469 2020-10-01T19:19:51  <wumpus> which is important but doesn't hold up the code merge
470 2020-10-01T19:19:53  <sipa> and obviously addressing any review comments that may still arise
471 2020-10-01T19:20:38  <jnewbery> I guess maybe the message should be: feature freeze is in two weeks, think about what your priorities are. Mine are 19988 and 19953.
472 2020-10-01T19:21:05  <sipa> i'm committed to quickly addressing comments in both of those
473 2020-10-01T19:21:09  <sipa> my other priority is torv3
474 2020-10-01T19:21:29  <luke-jr> IMO #11082 is important to get into 0.21, but clearly I can't do it alone :/
475 2020-10-01T19:21:33  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11082 | Add new bitcoin_rw.conf file that is used for settings modified by this software itself by luke-jr · Pull Request #11082 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
476 2020-10-01T19:21:40  <aj> wumpus: oh, i guess #19937 for high-pri might be nice
477 2020-10-01T19:21:42  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19937 | signet mining utility by ajtowns · Pull Request #19937 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
478 2020-10-01T19:21:55  <wumpus> mine are, beside taproot, #19991 and #19954
479 2020-10-01T19:21:58  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19991 | net: Use alternative port for incoming Tor connections by hebasto · Pull Request #19991 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
480 2020-10-01T19:22:02  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19954 | tor: complete the TORv3 implementation by vasild · Pull Request #19954 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
481 2020-10-01T19:22:31  <sipa> luke-jr: i haven't seen any argument as for what it adds over settings.json, so barring a wide agreement to revert that (and there doesn't seem to be), it seems hard to get people to find it important
482 2020-10-01T19:23:02  <luke-jr> sipa: it potentially reduces us to 1 config format, whereas settings.json bumped us to 3 or 4
483 2020-10-01T19:23:12  <wumpus> aj: added
484 2020-10-01T19:23:25  <wumpus> sipa: I agree, that's why I haven't really looked at it either
485 2020-10-01T19:23:54  <wumpus> I don'twant yet another config file, initialization and setting priority is complex enough as it is
486 2020-10-01T19:24:06  <sipa> luke-jr: but settings.json is merged; you'll need a much stronger case if your goal is reverting that and merging bitcoin_rw instead
487 2020-10-01T19:24:15  <luke-jr> wumpus: that's the point behind rwconf - it reduces
488 2020-10-01T19:24:15  <sipa> as having both seems the worst of both worlds
489 2020-10-01T19:24:23  <luke-jr> sipa: that's why it's important to do before 0.21
490 2020-10-01T19:24:29  <luke-jr> once 0.21 is released, we're stuck with settings.json
491 2020-10-01T19:24:49  <sipa> luke-jr: but your goal isn't just merging bitcoin_rw; it's replacing a feature that was already merged
492 2020-10-01T19:24:59  <sipa> i have no opinion either way, but one is merged, and the other isn't
493 2020-10-01T19:25:08  <wumpus> it's an internal settings file, people are not supposed to edit it manually, might be better if it's in json format instead
494 2020-10-01T19:25:33  <wumpus> could have been some obscure binary format as well but as least this is readible if you want to...
495 2020-10-01T19:25:40  <jnewbery> luke-jr: you failed to convince people that bitcoin_rw was the right approach in the PRs. I don't see what simply repeating your position here will achieve
496 2020-10-01T19:26:56  <wumpus> any other topics?
497 2020-10-01T19:27:02  <achow101> at what point do we switch to the milestone for hi prio?
498 2020-10-01T19:27:50  <wumpus> achow101: well not yet as I've not really looked at what is at the milestone yet
499 2020-10-01T19:28:06  <wumpus> but yes good point
500 2020-10-01T19:30:04  <wumpus> we could do that starting from next week, after sorting things out, I think we need to postpone things like "sqlite wallet storage" to 0.22  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/45
501 2020-10-01T19:30:14  <achow101> :(
502 2020-10-01T19:30:17  <wumpus> as well as the guix build
503 2020-10-01T19:30:22  <wumpus> yes, :(
504 2020-10-01T19:30:55  <sipa> i'm sorry i haven't had the time to dive into that... i'd really like to see sqlite happen
505 2020-10-01T19:30:58  <luke-jr> "the guix build"?
506 2020-10-01T19:31:04  <wumpus> but that sounds scary to do last minute at least to me, seems like something that needs to brew in the master branch for a while
507 2020-10-01T19:31:39  * dongcarl awakens
508 2020-10-01T19:31:41  <wumpus> luke-jr: yes, 0.21 will be another release built with gitian it seems?
509 2020-10-01T19:31:52  <luke-jr> wumpus: hopefully gitian won't be abandoned any time soon
510 2020-10-01T19:32:01  <luke-jr> guix is an improvement over Ubuntu, but not over gitian
511 2020-10-01T19:32:14  <achow101> the main thing was that I had wanted to couple sqlite with descriptor wallets just to avoid multiple upgrade scenarios
512 2020-10-01T19:33:08  <sipa> achow101: i get that, but does that add that much? you'll still need to support legacy+bdb, legacy+sqlite, desc+sqlite anyway
513 2020-10-01T19:33:11  <wumpus> achow101: yes, I understand … but it seems too recent to have as default yet
514 2020-10-01T19:33:16  <luke-jr> Guix requires running third-party blobs to use (or at least, I couldn't get it running - and if I can't, how could we expect others to?)
515 2020-10-01T19:33:41  <achow101> sipa: the idea was there wasn't a legacy+sqlite
516 2020-10-01T19:33:53  <wumpus> luke-jr: my point was, that's a concern for 0.22 not 0.21
517 2020-10-01T19:33:55  <luke-jr> k
518 2020-10-01T19:34:40  <sipa> achow101: in the short term perhaps, but longer term i'd hope you can convert a legacy bdb wallet to sqlite so we could (in due time) have a reasonable build without bdb dependency
519 2020-10-01T19:34:49  <wumpus> ^^
520 2020-10-01T19:34:52  <sipa> while converting legacy to descriptor seems much harder/impossible
521 2020-10-01T19:35:13  <achow101> converting legacy to descriptor seems possible
522 2020-10-01T19:35:26  <wumpus> there needs to be a way to upgrade old wallets
523 2020-10-01T19:35:32  <wumpus> if not, we'll be stuck with them forever
524 2020-10-01T19:35:33  <achow101> #19602 does it
525 2020-10-01T19:35:35  <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19602 | wallet: Migrate legacy wallets to descriptor wallets by achow101 · Pull Request #19602 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
526 2020-10-01T19:36:07  <achow101> my plan was for the legacy -> desc upgrade is the bdb -> sqlite upgrade too
527 2020-10-01T19:36:26  <luke-jr> we *could* disable descriptor wallets in 0.21, but I don't think anyone wants to go there..
528 2020-10-01T19:36:33  <sipa> luke-jr: yeah, no
529 2020-10-01T19:37:04  <wumpus> you can't really require people to transfer their funds to a new wallet to upgrade, ever
530 2020-10-01T19:37:06  <sipa> achow101: i see, right, if you require a new backup at the same time, it does seem reasonaBLE
531 2020-10-01T19:37:23  *** harrigan has quit IRC
532 2020-10-01T19:37:56  <wumpus> requiring a new backup is fine
533 2020-10-01T19:38:06  <wumpus> just be clear about it
534 2020-10-01T19:38:21  <achow101> wumpus: no funds transfer is required for the upgrade
535 2020-10-01T19:39:11  <wumpus> achow101: good, that's the only hope we can get rid of berkeleydb at some point :)
536 2020-10-01T19:39:20  <dongcarl> luke-jr: We can talk more about guix on #bitcoin-builds, would very much like to know the problems you ran into
537 2020-10-01T19:39:42  *** harrigan has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
538 2020-10-01T19:40:40  <luke-jr> dongcarl: k, after the meeting
539 2020-10-01T19:40:43  <wumpus> (which I fully support, FWIW, though we'll want to be careful to somehow have some tools somewhere that people can use to convert old bdb wallets they find)
540 2020-10-01T19:41:49  <wumpus> it highlights how important backwards compatibility is for our wallet formats anway
541 2020-10-01T19:42:07  <wumpus> any other topics?
542 2020-10-01T19:42:20  <sipa> 42 is a good minute to end at
543 2020-10-01T19:42:43  <wumpus> #endmeeting
544 2020-10-01T19:42:43  <lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Oct  1 19:42:43 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
545 2020-10-01T19:42:43  <lightningbot> Minutes:        http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-10-01-19.00.html
546 2020-10-01T19:42:43  <lightningbot> Minutes (text): http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-10-01-19.00.txt
547 2020-10-01T19:42:43  <lightningbot> Log:            http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/2020/bitcoin-core-dev.2020-10-01-19.00.log.html
548 2020-10-01T19:42:52  <jonatack> :)
549 2020-10-01T19:42:58  <jnewbery> thanks wumpus. Great meeting!
550 2020-10-01T19:43:24  <aj> i guess 42:42 must be a doubleplus-good second to have neded at
551 2020-10-01T19:43:58  <sipa> next time.
552 2020-10-01T19:44:13  <aj> oh, it was right on 42:42 for me
553 2020-10-01T19:44:29  <aj> maybe lightningbot's clock is wrong. i could edit the logs?
554 2020-10-01T19:44:32  <sipa> did you know that the decimal sequence "424242" appears for the first time in byte position 242424 in the digits of Pi?
555 2020-10-01T19:44:51  <achow101> I got it at 42:43. maybe your internet is just fater
556 2020-10-01T19:45:22  <sipa> aj: irc doesn't guarantee bounded time delivery (iirc it doesn't even guarantee that messages won't be reordered, in multi-server setups)
557 2020-10-01T19:46:18  <cfields> sipa: Huh, neat. I suppose you could probably find any fun pattern like that you want if you look long enough :)
558 2020-10-01T19:46:49  <sipa> cfields: the actual string at that position is even 242424242 or something like that
559 2020-10-01T19:47:41  <wumpus> jnewbery: thank you!
560 2020-10-01T19:47:42  <promag> (sipa pretending he doesn't know all pi digits)
561 2020-10-01T19:47:47  <aj> nope, it's my local clock that's 1s slow it seems. further updates in the news at 9
562 2020-10-01T19:48:14  <sipa> promag: i can promise you that i cannot recite them backwards
563 2020-10-01T19:48:59  <achow101> promag: new fact for pieterwuillefacts.com
564 2020-10-01T19:48:59  <gloriazhao> i can recite all the unique digits of pi does that count
565 2020-10-01T19:50:15  <wumpus> hehe
566 2020-10-01T19:50:29  <sipa> gloriazhao: woah
567 2020-10-01T19:50:41  <promag> btw regarding windows hang
568 2020-10-01T19:50:56  <promag> what version is it?
569 2020-10-01T19:51:14  <aj> gloriazhao: if you do it in the obvious order, it _is_ counting?
570 2020-10-01T19:51:23  <sipa> promag: i don't know, and the user complaining on SE isn't volunteering much information
571 2020-10-01T19:51:52  <promag> right, maybe he is using datadir on usb
572 2020-10-01T19:52:24  <wumpus> we've already ruled out it happening on current versions of windows in the standard case?
573 2020-10-01T19:53:14  <hebasto> promag: testing right now on Win10 build 19041.450, and cannot reproduce for now
574 2020-10-01T19:53:55  <wumpus> hebasto: thanks for testing, I think it's good to have a baseline at least
575 2020-10-01T19:54:36  <gwillen> cfields: fun fact -- it's actually an open problem whether you can find any fun pattern you like in pi if you look long enough! https://www.askamathematician.com/2009/11/since-pi-is-infinite-can-i-draw-any-random-number-sequence-and-be-certain-that-it-exists-somewhere-in-the-digits-of-pi/
576 2020-10-01T19:54:43  <promag> he says "However, recently, whether it was a new version of Bitcoin Core or an update to Windows 10"
577 2020-10-01T19:54:55  <promag> so looks like he updated bitcoind too
578 2020-10-01T19:55:38  <hebasto> I'm testing v0.20.1
579 2020-10-01T19:55:41  <sipa> gwillen: yeah, proving normality of a number is very hard
580 2020-10-01T19:56:17  <cfields> gwillen: neat!
581 2020-10-01T19:56:21  <promag> hebasto: vm?
582 2020-10-01T19:56:28  <hebasto> yes
583 2020-10-01T19:57:59  <sipa> gwillen, cfields: apparently some theorem about them was proven a certain C. P. Schnorr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_number
584 2020-10-01T19:59:21  <cfields> sipa: scared to click.. don't want to click, don't want him to sue me for using pi :p
585 2020-10-01T19:59:31  <sipa> cfields: it's from 1972
586 2020-10-01T19:59:45  <sipa> hebasto: based on earlier comments by (presumably) the same user under a different identity (long story), i suspect he is using 0.20.1 and not master
587 2020-10-01T19:59:46  <cfields> whoops, some c/p there someow.
588 2020-10-01T19:59:49  <cfields> sipa: that was a joke.
589 2020-10-01T19:59:56  <sipa> cfields: obviously
590 2020-10-01T20:00:11  <sipa> sorry, should have used an interrobang
591 2020-10-01T20:00:20  <hebasto> sipa: thanks
592 2020-10-01T20:00:23  <cfields> heh
593 2020-10-01T20:01:03  <sipa> a c/p schnorr?
594 2020-10-01T20:01:46  <cfields> nm
595 2020-10-01T20:02:21  *** Guyver2_ has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
596 2020-10-01T20:02:38  *** Guyver2 has quit IRC
597 2020-10-01T20:03:14  <cfields> I'm going to resist going down another number theory rabbit hole. This stuff is so freaking fun to learn about.
598 2020-10-01T20:06:41  <sipa> cfields: you know https://www.futilitycloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-10-30-fruit-cocktail.jpg right?
599 2020-10-01T20:16:48  <gwillen> sipa: apparently my freshman college roommate was responsible for the final version of that meme: https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-find-the-positive-integer-solutions-to-frac-x-y%2Bz-%2B-frac-y-z%2Bx-%2B-frac-z-x%2By-4/answer/Alon-Amit/comment/36734352
600 2020-10-01T20:17:24  <sipa> ha
601 2020-10-01T20:17:25  <sipa> small world
602 2020-10-01T20:17:54  <sipa> alon amit's explanation there is a really nice read, btw, if you like number theory rabbit holes
603 2020-10-01T20:18:01  <sipa> hint: it's got elliptic curves
604 2020-10-01T20:20:15  *** Guyver2_ has quit IRC
605 2020-10-01T20:21:37  *** Bullit has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
606 2020-10-01T20:27:44  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
607 2020-10-01T20:27:44  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #20058: Update transifex slug for 0.21 (master...2020_10_transifex_slug) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20058
608 2020-10-01T20:27:45  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
609 2020-10-01T20:29:11  *** GankMove has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
610 2020-10-01T20:35:28  <amiti> jnewbery, achow101, sipa, wumpus: I've also been seeing a decent amount of travis ARM64 builds just stopping w/out any exit status or explicit failure. another eg. https://travis-ci.org/github/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/732023438
611 2020-10-01T20:36:21  <achow101> amiti: yeah, it seems to be travis just dying again
612 2020-10-01T20:36:35  <amiti> 😬
613 2020-10-01T20:36:47  <sipa> sigh
614 2020-10-01T20:38:47  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
615 2020-10-01T20:41:36  <phantomcircuit> how difficult would it be to run those unit tests on a dedicated server?
616 2020-10-01T20:42:30  <sipa> phantomcircuit: i'm sure we would have no problems finding funds to buy/run such a server, but something has to set it up and maintain it
617 2020-10-01T20:42:56  <phantomcircuit> sipa, yeah that's my question, what would the maintenance look like?
618 2020-10-01T20:42:59  <achow101> we have bitcoinbuilds.org doing almost everything
619 2020-10-01T20:43:16  <phantomcircuit> presumably there isn't anything to prevent a pull request from being some altcoin miner
620 2020-10-01T20:54:21  <aj> newb question, but now i've got a fuzzer crash, how do i get at the data that triggered it?
621 2020-10-01T20:54:48  <sipa> aj: it should have created a file crash-HHHHHHHH
622 2020-10-01T20:55:06  <aj> sipa: yep
623 2020-10-01T20:55:16  <sipa> that contains the raw data fed to the fuzzer
624 2020-10-01T20:55:25  <phantomcircuit> did someone fix the fuzzer stuff to be different binaries?
625 2020-10-01T20:55:43  <sipa> phantomcircuit: yes, every fuzzer is one binary
626 2020-10-01T20:55:56  <aj> sipa: right, but that got run through ConsumeIntegral and ConsumeDeserializable and stuff?
627 2020-10-01T20:55:58  <sipa> aj: you can add debug statements to the fuzzer code, and then rerun it with ./fuzzer crash-HHHH
628 2020-10-01T20:56:54  <sipa> if you need to see the "unpacked" values from it
629 2020-10-01T21:00:02  *** lordnoid1 has quit IRC
630 2020-10-01T21:01:58  *** filchef has quit IRC
631 2020-10-01T21:08:01  *** bitcoin-git has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
632 2020-10-01T21:08:01  <bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #20055: rpc: Set HTTP Content-Type in bitcoin-cli (master...2020_10_cli_contenttype) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20055
633 2020-10-01T21:08:02  *** bitcoin-git has left #bitcoin-core-dev
634 2020-10-01T21:19:28  *** Dimlock has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
635 2020-10-01T21:23:14  *** promag has quit IRC
636 2020-10-01T21:23:50  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
637 2020-10-01T21:35:26  *** promag has quit IRC
638 2020-10-01T21:35:43  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
639 2020-10-01T22:11:03  *** vasild has quit IRC
640 2020-10-01T22:12:12  *** vasild has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
641 2020-10-01T22:15:28  *** S3RK has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
642 2020-10-01T22:15:43  *** mrostecki has quit IRC
643 2020-10-01T22:19:47  *** S3RK has quit IRC
644 2020-10-01T22:24:03  *** thaumavorio has quit IRC
645 2020-10-01T22:25:03  *** thaumavorio has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
646 2020-10-01T22:32:12  *** mrostecki has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
647 2020-10-01T23:04:11  *** Tennis has quit IRC
648 2020-10-01T23:11:34  *** isis_ is now known as isis
649 2020-10-01T23:39:42  *** promag has quit IRC
650 2020-10-01T23:40:25  *** promag has joined #bitcoin-core-dev
651 2020-10-01T23:54:57  *** felixweis has quit IRC
652 2020-10-01T23:54:57  *** ahmed_ has quit IRC
653 2020-10-01T23:54:57  *** fjahr has quit IRC
654 2020-10-01T23:55:42  *** go1111111 has joined #bitcoin-core-dev