19:00:46 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:00:46 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jan 18 19:00:46 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:46 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:51 <meshcollider> Hi
19:00:55 <sipa> Hi
19:00:59 <gmaxwell> HI
19:00:59 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
19:01:04 <jonasschnelli> hi
19:01:04 <achow101> hi
19:01:43 <jnewbery> hi
19:01:47 <MarcoFalke> action release segwit wallet?
19:01:48 <wumpus> regarding 0.16.0, we're down to 5 PRs and 4 issues: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/30 almost there!
19:02:15 <sipa> i want to add support for segwit to importmulti; i want to have a PR for that today
19:02:27 <gmaxwell> oops.
19:02:49 <sipa> and if not, i'll create an issue
19:03:00 <wumpus> I guess #11124 can be closed because of #11991?
19:03:02 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11124 | Generate segwit address in receive payment tab? · Issue #11124 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:03:06 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11991 | [qt] Receive: checkbox for bech32 address by Sjors · Pull Request #11991 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:03:16 <meshcollider> I guess #11489 replaces the other issue too
19:03:18 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11489 | [wallet] sendtoaddress output type argument by kallewoof · Pull Request #11489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:03:40 <meshcollider> (11134)
19:04:17 <phantomcircuit> im here
19:04:29 <wumpus> meshcollider: merging that will automatically close the issue
19:04:44 <wumpus> (or should, as it's properly referenced in the PR)
19:05:24 <wumpus> I guess we should discuss  #12216
19:05:26 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12216 | scripted-diff: prefix [address|change]type parameters with default by Sjors · Pull Request #12216 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:05:30 <achow101> should 11489 be tagged for 0.16?
19:05:40 <meshcollider> Yeah that's what I meant ^
19:05:41 <wumpus> #topic renamee address|changetype parameters
19:05:57 <wumpus> #11489
19:06:00 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11489 | [wallet] sendtoaddress output type argument by kallewoof · Pull Request #11489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:06:19 <meshcollider> I meant add the tag to the PR and take it off the issue
19:06:42 <jonasschnelli> defaultaddresstype seems fine... though I miss the wallet prefix (but it's no consistent anyways)
19:07:08 <jonasschnelli> I would have prefered -walletaddresstype
19:07:16 <jonasschnelli> but meh
19:07:17 <kanzure> hi.
19:07:28 <wumpus> -defaultwalletaddresstype !
19:07:47 <jonasschnelli> Bit long... but would be my the most precise one
19:07:53 <wumpus> I think it's overkill
19:08:05 <wumpus> the documentation can specify what the option is for, and what it applies to
19:08:12 <wumpus> the whole documentation does not need to be in the option name
19:08:26 <jonasschnelli> Yes. Right. I think -defauladdresstype seems the best choice then.
19:08:27 <achow101> I don't particularly care about what it's called as long as the documentation explains it clearly
19:08:58 <instagibbs> default is implied in a ton of arguments already, but whatever
19:09:02 <wumpus> shorter option names are easier to remember/type
19:09:07 <wumpus> instagibbs: I agree
19:09:17 <jonasschnelli> instagibbs: good point.
19:09:23 <jonasschnelli> Yes. Lets keep -addresstype then
19:09:25 <wumpus> I'm also not sure we should rename it at this point
19:09:28 <jonasschnelli> Don't add more unnecesarry work
19:09:41 <instagibbs> oh, im getting agreement, ok :)
19:10:13 <wumpus> as long as the help message explains that it changes the default, it should be fine
19:10:16 <wumpus> any other topics?
19:10:34 <achow101> Can i ask for #12180 to be in for 0.16?
19:10:36 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12180 | scripted-diff: change kB to kvB, kilobyte to kilovbyte for transaction fee rate things by achow101 · Pull Request #12180 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:10:57 <wumpus> I think we should stop adding new PRs to 0.16.0, seriously
19:11:00 <sipa> Kilov Byte, sounds like a unit named after some russian scientist
19:11:08 <jonasschnelli> heh
19:11:34 <gmaxwell> then you can have charts of block's kilovbyte complexity.
19:11:37 <wumpus> lol!
19:11:46 <jtimon> hi
19:11:47 <wumpus> what the hell is that
19:12:12 <wumpus> ohh kilo-vbyte
19:12:16 <sipa> yeah :)
19:12:16 <gmaxwell> yes.
19:12:17 <wumpus> I don't like the word
19:12:35 <achow101> the base unit is vbyte
19:13:02 <meshcollider> What about vkilobyte
19:13:05 <wumpus> I get it, but kilovbyte just reads... awkward
19:13:06 <jonasschnelli> I think achow101 intentions are good. Maybe its just the wording. But I don't think it's necessary for the already later 0.16 release
19:13:21 <gmaxwell> it's extra confusing to people that our kilo is 1000 not 1024 there too. :)
19:13:37 <phantomcircuit> shouldn't the change output simply attempt to mirror the style of the payment address?
19:13:45 <wumpus> if it was 1024 it would be kivB
19:13:49 <phantomcircuit> regardless of whether that's segwit or not?
19:13:52 <sipa> phantomcircuit: there's a PR for that
19:13:54 <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: there is a PR for that.
19:14:14 <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: though you don't want to start using segwit in a wallet that is set to NOT use segwit in legacy mode.
19:14:22 <jonasschnelli> Should #12213 be in 0.16?
19:14:24 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12213 | Add address type option to addmultisigaddress by promag · Pull Request #12213 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:14:30 <achow101> the point was to clarify that the fee rate is in virtual bytes and not actual bytes
19:14:57 <wumpus> achow101: yes, I completely agree with that point
19:15:07 <wumpus> but making up new words, I don't know
19:15:10 <gmaxwell> I don't like the word virtual. We should call them victory bytes.
19:15:23 <booyah> what about wu? kwu? wasn't work unit a thing
19:15:27 <jonasschnelli> #12194 would also be trivial for 0.16 (and add consistent addresstype support)
19:15:28 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12194 | Add change type option to fundrawtransaction by promag · Pull Request #12194 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:15:31 <booyah> *weight
19:15:47 <achow101> according to rusty, they're called sipas
19:16:03 <wumpus> lol oh no, not more things for 0.16.0, do we ever want to release this
19:16:07 <gmaxwell> booyah: weight isn't directly comparible to the fee units people have gotten used to.
19:16:12 <meshcollider> booyah: using weight means factor of 4 difference in the actual number which will confuse people I think
19:16:20 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15ryanofsky opened pull request #12221: RFC: Rename -walletdir option to -walletsdir (scripted-diff) (06master...06pr/wdren) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12221
19:16:34 <gmaxwell> wallet'sdir ?
19:16:35 <gmaxwell> :P
19:16:47 <wumpus> noooo
19:16:54 <kanzure> multiwalletdir?
19:17:04 <wumpus> just stick to walletdir, don't add a s in there please
19:17:08 <gmaxwell> ack
19:17:11 <wumpus> I'll forget that every time
19:17:15 <phantomcircuit> shouldn't the change script type match the payment type for sendtoaddress ?
19:17:23 <phantomcircuit> regardless of whether it's segwit or not
19:17:35 <wumpus> again, not the entire documentation of an option needs to be in the option name
19:17:46 <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: 11:13:52 < sipa> phantomcircuit: there's a PR for that
19:17:48 <wumpus> keeping option names short in general is good
19:17:53 <phantomcircuit> ok
19:17:58 <kanzure> options should be replaced by hexadecimal identifiers, so that documentation must be consulted?
19:18:03 <phantomcircuit> (got disconnected didn't think that went through)
19:18:03 * kanzure hides
19:18:30 <sipa> kanzure: double-SHA256 of the english description of the option, so that you show you've actually read the documentation
19:18:33 * sipa hides more
19:18:40 <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: to at least a limited extent, if the wallet is allowed to use segwit (not legacy mode), then it'll toggle between native segwit and p2sh based on the outputs.
19:19:11 <jcorgan> bech32 would be how the hipsters would do it
19:19:16 <gmaxwell> phantomcircuit: I'd like to see that PR get merged because it should increase native usage a bunch.
19:19:34 <wumpus> do we need 32948 PRs that just rename options
19:20:24 <morcos> wumpus: Thirty Two Thousand Nine Hundred Forty Eight Pull Requests?
19:20:32 <wumpus> morcos: yes
19:21:01 <meshcollider> More pull requests = more active development though right ;)
19:21:13 <gmaxwell> wumpus: well there are many more possible renamings than that, so we have a long way to go. :P
19:21:14 <booyah> wumpus: we do not? (:
19:21:31 <jtimon> wumpus: right, as long as names are clear, the shoreter the better
19:21:49 <jtimon> s/shoreter/shorter/
19:22:02 <meshcollider> Let's just start using -a, -b, -c ....
19:22:33 <jtimon> meshcollider: you forgot the "as long as they are clear" part :p
19:22:51 <wumpus> any other topics?
19:23:24 <sipa> let's get back to work!
19:23:29 <meshcollider> And more update about signing certs?
19:23:46 <jonasschnelli> cfields
19:23:48 <meshcollider> Any*
19:24:29 <jonasschnelli> Last state is that we are going to sign 0.16 with a single person RSA
19:24:35 <jonasschnelli> (OSX)
19:24:56 <jtimon> mircrotopic if since I wasn't here for the priority prs topic: can https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12172 haz priority and maybe even get to 0.16 ?
19:25:46 <MarcoFalke> I think only what is tagged 0.16 is priority right now
19:25:56 <MarcoFalke> We didn't do the priority prs thing
19:26:21 <wumpus> yes, high priority for review is the 0.16 milestone list right now
19:26:35 <wumpus> we'll start using the project again after 0.16 is branched
19:26:43 <MarcoFalke> end meeting?
19:26:49 <jtimon> MarcoFalke: ok, perhaps it can be priority review but not for 0.16 or priority review but only after 0.16 is forked or something, I don't know
19:27:25 <MarcoFalke> jtimon: I reviewed it. If other people like it they will come by, I guess.
19:27:42 <wumpus> jtimon: I've added it to the project anyhow
19:28:34 <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/30 is at 8 PRs, 3 issues now
19:28:51 <wumpus> we gained 3 PRs during this meeting, and closed one issue
19:29:16 <jonasschnelli> heh... oh boy
19:29:28 <meshcollider> #12216 can be removed if we decided not to do it?
19:29:30 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12216 | scripted-diff: prefix [address|change]type parameters with default by Sjors · Pull Request #12216 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:29:51 <jonasschnelli> I think #11281 is ready... though another ack would be great
19:29:54 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11281 | Avoid permanent cs_main/cs_wallet lock during RescanFromTime by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #11281 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:29:56 <MarcoFalke> They are just tagged for 0.16. I think some should be closed without merge
19:29:58 <jtimon> MarcoFalke: thanks, I was just testing waters and as said "microtopic", I can always rebase this tiny thing for my purposes, it's just always good to get the thing you need in if you can, but no big deal at all
19:30:15 <wumpus> MarcoFalke: so they're not all blockers for 0.16?
19:30:32 <MarcoFalke> Not all, imo
19:30:55 <MarcoFalke> e.g. #11489 is clearly a feature
19:30:58 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11489 | [wallet] sendtoaddress output type argument by kallewoof · Pull Request #11489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:31:24 <jtimon> as said I missed half the meeting but I imagine the leitmotive was "0.16, let's do this!" or something
19:31:33 <meshcollider> wumpus: #11708 is not on the milestone but might be RTM anyway and would be nice
19:31:36 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11708 | Add P2SH-P2WSH support to signrawtransaction and listunspent RPC by MeshCollider · Pull Request #11708 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:31:47 <wumpus> ok removed #12216
19:31:49 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12216 | scripted-diff: prefix [address|change]type parameters with default by Sjors · Pull Request #12216 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:32:25 <jonasschnelli> Remove #11489 as well? Got also a NACK
19:32:28 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11489 | [wallet] sendtoaddress output type argument by kallewoof · Pull Request #11489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:32:31 <sipa> well 12216 either goes into 0.16, or we don't do it at all - i don't think we should be renaming options that have been in releases
19:32:39 <wumpus> jtimon: yes, the action was supposed to be 'release 0.16', but we're not there yet apparently :)
19:32:47 <wumpus> I hope we can do that next week
19:32:54 <gmaxwell> oh the walletdir stuff wasn't already released?
19:33:01 <jonasschnelli> sipa: yes.
19:33:10 <jnewbery> gmaxwell: correct
19:33:12 <gmaxwell> renaming it is less crazy than I was thinking.
19:33:21 <wumpus> gmaxwell: no, it's new in 0.16
19:33:41 <jtimon> wumpus: too bad, but are we ready to fork 0.16?
19:33:46 <wumpus> jtimon: no!
19:33:56 <wumpus> we're not ready yet we're not ready yet
19:34:10 <MarcoFalke> Hopefully early next week, jtimon
19:34:15 <gmaxwell> You have to say it three times for the spell to work.
19:34:20 <wumpus> I think we're waiting for sipa's PR and reviews of some of the others
19:34:32 <wumpus> gmaxwell: we're not ready yet we're not ready yet we're not ready yet
19:34:34 <jtimon> ok, as always I complain about the release process slowing donw master, which is probably unavoidable
19:34:50 <meshcollider> Ok remove 11489 and 11134 then?
19:34:53 <wumpus> can't make everyone happy
19:35:04 <wumpus> we also don't want to do a crappy release
19:35:43 <wumpus> better to have it slip a bit and make sure everything is working as it should, than rush it out
19:36:07 <gmaxwell> 0.16 is very important, I don't think anything !0.16 that is in flight right now is remotely as important as getting 0.16 out soon.
19:36:40 <jonasschnelli> Removed #11489 from 0.16
19:36:42 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11489 | [wallet] sendtoaddress output type argument by kallewoof · Pull Request #11489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:36:49 <jtimon> sorry, guys, I'm just impacient, but I wasn't impacient enought to fully review the already merged sw wallet support, so I don't feel I can ask for anything (also as always)
19:36:54 <gmaxwell> So in the unlikely event that someone can't contribute to making 0.16 better, I think we're still better off with them sitting on their hands rather than doing anything that would make 0.16 take longer or be less good.
19:37:19 <wumpus> jtimon: exactly, if you want to help hurry the release along, help testing and reviewing the PRs that are left
19:37:45 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15ryanofsky closed pull request #12221: RFC: Rename -walletdir option to -walletsdir (scripted-diff) (06master...06pr/wdren) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12221
19:37:58 <meshcollider> jonasschnelli: I think the corresponding issue should be removed too
19:38:13 <jonasschnelli> meshcollider: thanks
19:38:52 <wumpus> ok, any other topics? if not, let's close early
19:39:06 <jtimon> wumpus: I know, but I probably won't, I'm sorry, just reiterating my old complain that master shouldn't ever be stopped, no big deal
19:39:22 <gmaxwell> Noted.
19:39:35 <wumpus> #endmeeting