19:04:02 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:04:02 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Mar  1 19:04:02 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:04:02 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:04:18 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
19:04:40 <wumpus> Randolf: yes, like that, hash mirroring (TM)
19:04:53 <wumpus> #topic high priority for review
19:04:53 * Randolf smiles
19:05:15 <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
19:05:29 <wumpus> a few of the PRs really need rebase
19:06:40 <wumpus> but we managed to merge a few this week, so if you have nothing on that list yet, proposals are welcome
19:06:41 <sipa> many people at FC18 right now, btw
19:06:42 <Randolf> I have purposely NOT rebased PR #12501 fully yet because it turned into some discussion about the "virtual size" of transactions.
19:06:45 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12501 | [qt] Improved "custom fee" explanation in tooltip by randolf · Pull Request #12501 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:00 <Randolf> I hoped that last week it would be an easy one to complete, but turns out this wasn't so straight-forward.
19:07:28 <wumpus> there are certainly valid reasons to not rebase something
19:07:34 <Randolf> I think that PR #12567 can probably be closed, but a few more people might want to take a quick look at it first.
19:07:37 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12567 | util: Print timestamp strings in logs using ISO 8601 formatting by practicalswift · Pull Request #12567 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:55 <Randolf> I think that PR #12546 should be merged.
19:07:57 <wumpus> on the other hand, if something runs out of sync with current master, then reviewing it in the current state makes less sense
19:07:57 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12546 | [docs] Minor improvements to Compatibility Notes by randolf · Pull Request #12546 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:58 <luke-jr> #11383 is probably ready for merge, just only one recent utACK
19:08:02 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11383 | Basic Multiwallet GUI support by luke-jr · Pull Request #11383 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:08:04 <Randolf> (Sorry, I meant "merged" earlier rather than "closed.")
19:08:45 <wumpus> 12501 isn't on that list, should it be?
19:08:53 <Randolf> I suspect that PR 12501 probably needs more peer-review and discussion.
19:09:00 <wumpus> luke-jr: great!
19:09:24 <wumpus> luke-jr: looks like jonasschnelli has some, unreplied to comments there
19:10:04 <wumpus> it's fine to say that you're leaving them for a later PR, but please do reply to ereview comments
19:10:13 <Randolf> Okay.
19:10:40 <kanzure> hi.
19:11:15 <promag> hi
19:11:54 <kanzure> btw i am still seeking topic suggestions (either stuff you want to talk about, or you want other people to talk about) for next week's event.
19:12:26 <kanzure> speaking of which, we should decide about next weekly meeting timing since i imagine some folks will be traveling
19:12:31 <wumpus> #action send kanzure further topic suggestions
19:12:47 <wumpus> right, I'll definitely not be there next week
19:13:10 <wumpus> will be travellingback at that time
19:13:15 <kanzure> wasn't aware we'd lose a bunch of people to fc18 but makes sense.
19:13:27 <promag> regarding multiwallet, there are other details that can be left for other pulls
19:13:27 <wumpus> indeed, apparently same problem this week
19:13:33 <sipa> sorry!
19:13:51 <luke-jr> sipa: next time, schedule FC so it doesn't conflict.
19:13:57 <sipa> haha!
19:13:57 <luke-jr> :p
19:14:00 * Randolf laughs
19:14:02 <wumpus> so I think we should skip next week's IRC meeting
19:14:10 <achow101> ack
19:14:13 <Randolf> Ack.
19:14:23 <kanzure> we can move it forward if we want.. since a lot of folks in same room. but it's sort of redundant.
19:14:41 <wumpus> right
19:15:05 <sipa> sgtm
19:15:18 <luke-jr> I suggest we have kanzure transcribe RL stuff to #bitcoin-core-dev in real time
19:15:31 <kanzure> that's okay with me since roasbeef wont be there
19:15:34 <luke-jr> lol
19:15:39 <kanzure> (i love him tho)
19:15:43 <wumpus> hehe
19:15:56 <btcdrak> oh what did I miss?
19:16:03 <luke-jr> 1/4th of the meeting
19:16:13 <wumpus> <luke-jr> I suggest we have kanzure transcribe RL stuff to #bitcoin-core-dev in real time
19:16:13 <wumpus> <kanzure> that's okay with me since roasbeef wont be there
19:16:29 <wumpus> not much is going on, everyone is at FC apparently
19:16:50 <luke-jr> end early and spend 45 minutes on #11383 ? :D
19:16:54 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11383 | Basic Multiwallet GUI support by luke-jr · Pull Request #11383 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:16:58 <wumpus> but if anyone has a topic they like to discuss with the three of us, please mention
19:17:03 <Randolf> btcdrak:  I suggested merging PRs 12567 and 12546 and luke-jr suggested merging PR 11383.
19:17:31 <luke-jr> wumpus, luke-jr, sipa, btcdrak, kanzure, achow101, Randolf, promag = 8
19:17:35 <sdaftuar> hi
19:17:36 <wumpus> 12546 is obvious / documentation only
19:17:48 <Randolf> Yes.
19:18:13 <luke-jr> Randolf: well, it'd be nice to get a few more utACKs first (although I've shipped 11383 in Knots so long that I doubt there's any problems to find left)
19:19:24 <achow101> I'll take a look at 11383
19:20:28 <promag> luke-jr: I'll review again
19:21:28 <Randolf> wumpus:  In PR 12501 an issue arose about the "virtual size" of the transaction.  I'm thinking that it would probably be best to not mention this so as not to confuse end-users, but there's one person who's in favour of specifying this.  If there's a link to documentation that can get into the
19:22:36 <Randolf> "See also," not see all.  :)
19:22:36 <Randolf> details of the virtual size of the transaction, then I'm also thinking that including the link in the tooltip as a "see all" item should keep everyone happy?
19:23:16 <luke-jr> Randolf: the value being configured is fundamentally tied to virtual size. I don't think it's avoidable.
19:23:36 <wumpus> it's most important to be correct / complete
19:23:53 <luke-jr> "adjusted size" might be more understandable in plain English
19:24:06 <luke-jr> but there's no precedent for calling it that yet
19:24:24 <wumpus> in general, even if certain terms might confuse users, it's better to mention something than leave it out and say the wrong thing
19:24:28 <wumpus> but yeah, virtual size is confusing
19:24:29 <Randolf> Okay.  I want the tooltip to be correct without adding confusion.
19:24:54 <luke-jr> weight-adjusted size?
19:25:09 <wumpus> but calling it differently might be even worse
19:25:10 <wumpus> I don't know
19:25:25 <wumpus> (as you can't google it then!)
19:26:22 <luke-jr> it's really a different way of speaking of the weight, not the size
19:26:28 <Randolf> From a plain-English perspective, "weight-adjusted size" is much nicer, but that point about it being a new term is an important one because then it needs to be in the full documentation too.
19:26:28 <luke-jr> I can't think up a nice way to call it
19:26:57 <Randolf> Originally, I didn't have the word "virtual" in there.
19:27:04 <luke-jr> I suggest we just stick to "virtual size" until some English genius thinks up a better name
19:27:07 <wumpus> if there are new terms there's a good rationale to only use a single term for it, not make up multiple terms just because they sound nicer
19:27:18 <Randolf> I agree.
19:27:55 <wumpus> so if it is virtual size, I think we need to bite the bullet and simply use that
19:28:34 <wumpus> any other topics?
19:28:37 <Randolf> Alright.  So, if the current wording in most recent commit - https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12501/commits/a6a800cc4b3c1cbc4e5199563e2de1b5228ff9e2 - looks fine, then I'll go ahead and rebase.
19:29:29 <luke-jr> lgtn
19:29:30 <luke-jr> lgtm*
19:29:48 <wumpus> yes
19:29:53 <wumpus> #endmeeting