19:00:19 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:00:19 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct 11 19:00:19 2018 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:19 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:23 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
19:00:27 <jonasschnelli> hi
19:00:28 <promag> hi
19:00:33 <sdaftuar> hello!
19:01:24 <wumpus> proposed topics?
19:01:30 <gmaxwell> Hi.
19:02:11 <promag> hp?
19:02:31 <jonasschnelli> topic: OSX dmg issue
19:02:37 <jonasschnelli> +proposal
19:02:49 * jonasschnelli is in train, connection may randomly drop
19:03:15 <wumpus> IRCing from a train is pretty hard-core
19:03:49 <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
19:03:50 <jonasschnelli> well...
19:04:08 <wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
19:05:08 <wumpus> jonasschnelli: it's better than it used to be, I suppose :D
19:05:42 <jonasschnelli> (they have 4g repeater in almost all trains now, probably expect the one im sitting in)
19:07:12 <wumpus> I used to travel by train a lot ~10 years ago, with a crappy GPRS modem, tunneling over ssh, losing connection every few minutes, it was really a nightmare at the time; was before trains had WiFi here in NL
19:07:33 <wumpus> any suggestions to add to high priority for review?
19:07:35 <promag> #14291 could some review by wallet "owners"
19:07:37 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14291 | wallet: Add ListWalletDir utility function by promag · Pull Request #14291 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:08:01 <wumpus> you already have 14291 on the list
19:08:22 <promag> I know
19:08:26 <phantomcircuit> `hi
19:09:14 <gleb> hi
19:09:46 <wumpus> #topic OSX dmg issue (jonasschnelli)
19:09:48 <ken2812221> hi
19:10:00 <jonasschnelli> Issue is #14414
19:10:01 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14414 | Problem upgrading to 0.17.0 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 · Issue #14414 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:10:13 <jonasschnelli> TLDR: our 0.17.0 DMG image is corrupt...
19:10:30 <jonasschnelli> Probably due to a upstream "bug" in the ds_store python module
19:11:07 <jonasschnelli> IMO the best way to fix this is by "rolling back" to manual generated .DS_Store files
19:11:09 <wumpus> it *crashes* the finder?
19:11:27 <jonasschnelli> wumpus: in one case, I had a finder crash. Yes.
19:11:35 <jonasschnelli> But most cases, it just didn't open the image
19:11:36 <promag> me too
19:11:44 <jonasschnelli> The crash worries me a bit...
19:11:45 <wumpus> that's pretty interestin if it's exploitable
19:11:49 <promag> only one crash though
19:12:09 <wumpus> anyhow, how did we get here, why didn't it happen before?
19:12:26 <jonasschnelli> The DS_Store fileformat is not open..
19:12:35 <jonasschnelli> it has been reverse engeneered AFAIK
19:12:42 <wumpus> can we go back to an older ds_store python module
19:12:48 <jonasschnelli> and the module we use (ds_store module in python) probably messes up
19:12:58 <wumpus> yes
19:13:00 <jonasschnelli> and the mess up only appears on OSX 10.12 upwards
19:13:11 <jonasschnelli> I don't think older versions would work..
19:13:26 <jonasschnelli> I don't think we have upgraded from an older version
19:13:30 <rex4539> For me it crashes the Finder always. Like 100% reproducibility.
19:13:32 <wumpus> but it used to work right?
19:13:42 <jonasschnelli> only on older OSX versions
19:13:53 <wumpus> so 0.16.x also crashes on newer OSX?
19:13:56 <jonasschnelli> I think its an "incompatibility" that only affects OSX 10.12+
19:14:17 <jonasschnelli> wumpus: good question.
19:14:28 <wumpus> I mean the issue talks about upgrading to 0.17
19:14:32 <jonasschnelli> I think they don't... which would lead to something we changed.
19:15:12 <wumpus> I don't think much changed with regard to macosx tooling since then but I guess it's worth checking
19:15:35 <jonasschnelli> Maybe the move to Bionic?
19:15:49 <wumpus> do we use it from the distribution?
19:16:03 <jonasschnelli> no... we load the python package
19:16:13 <jonasschnelli> but maybe its not the ds_store. packaghe
19:16:14 <promag> can we know the module version used in a previous working version?
19:16:27 <jonasschnelli> AFAIK we have not touched it,...
19:16:31 <wumpus> it's possible that something else in the dependency forest causes a subtle change, of course
19:16:46 <rex4539> Just tried with 0.16.3 and it doesn't crash here. So it's a regression for sure.
19:16:48 <wumpus> maybe a newer python
19:16:51 <jonasschnelli> 0.16.3 is not affected (tested just now)
19:17:22 <jonasschnelli> Removing the DS_Store file will cure the issue though...
19:17:29 <jonasschnelli> could be the DMG creation
19:17:37 <wumpus> can just *remove* it?
19:17:56 <jonasschnelli> wumpus: I propose to just replace it with a manually created DS_Store...
19:17:58 <promag> huh, both 0.17 and 0.16.3 use the same stuff right?
19:18:10 <wumpus> I... don't understand enough about OSX to say anything sensible about this
19:18:29 <kanzure> hi.
19:18:54 <wumpus> promag: 0.16.3 builds using trusty, 0.17 started building using bionic
19:19:15 <jonasschnelli> However, .. I'll investigate further (didn't hat too much time last days)
19:19:20 <wumpus> might want to compare the ds_store files between both
19:19:21 <ken2812221> python3?
19:19:31 <wumpus> it might be some unicode encoding issue or whatnot
19:19:44 <jonasschnelli> The DS_Store file is just a file that contains info about the disk image background and icon position, etc.
19:19:45 <wumpus> 0.16 was already python 3 wasn't it?
19:20:02 <jonasschnelli> wumpus: good point.. i'll do that
19:20:20 <ken2812221> But #11881 is not in 0.16
19:20:23 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11881 | Remove Python2 support by jnewbery · Pull Request #11881 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:20:39 <wumpus> jonasschnelli: if we can just remove it, that might be the best way forward, instead of relying on someone's reverse engineering which is apparently failing for new versions
19:20:55 <promag> anyway shame on finder..
19:20:56 <ken2812221> It changes custom_dsstore.py and macdeployqtplus
19:21:02 <jonasschnelli> Yes. But the nice background is cool
19:21:07 <jonasschnelli> (Its somehow expected on OSX)
19:21:36 <jonasschnelli> ken2812221: is 11881 not 0.16 but 0.17?
19:21:41 <wumpus> I agree nice things are nice, but working at all is more important :)
19:21:53 <jonasschnelli> sure. :)
19:22:22 <jonasschnelli> Removing it is an option,.. lets wait a couple of more days to track the issue and if we can't fix it, remote it
19:22:42 <jonasschnelli> (and wait until someome brings it back in a stable way)
19:22:57 <promag> we could generate it with trusty thru docker
19:22:58 <wumpus> 11881 is indeed in 0.17 but not 0.16
19:23:47 <promag> (if that's the problem)
19:24:09 <jonasschnelli> then it's probably 11881
19:25:10 <wumpus> we can try reverting it, at least for 0.17.x branch
19:25:31 <wumpus> but in any case we need to knwo what is the difference in the generated file
19:25:53 <wumpus> might be a straightforward difference or a nightmare
19:25:57 <jonasschnelli> I'll test a revert in my WIP PR via gitian
19:28:17 <wumpus> thanks! hope a revert is doable by now, but I guess, there's not much change in those files
19:28:21 <wumpus> any other topics?
19:30:39 <wumpus> apparently not !
19:30:54 <wumpus> thanks everyone, wrapping up the meeting then
19:31:03 <wumpus> #endmeeting