19:01:57 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:01:57 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct  3 19:01:57 2019 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:01:57 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:02:00 <kanzure> hi
19:02:10 <jeremyrubin> hi
19:02:21 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral
19:02:32 <promag> hi
19:02:40 <wumpus> thanks everyone for being so active the last few days, we're very close to 0.19.0rc1
19:03:10 <MarcoFalke> wumpus: uploading the ts from the 0.18 branch isn't going to reset fresh translations?
19:03:20 <MarcoFalke> Only those of 0.18?
19:03:33 <wumpus> MarcoFalke: yes, that would copy the 0.18 translations to 0.19
19:03:39 <wumpus> that's what you want right?
19:04:04 <wumpus> if not, I completely don't understand it
19:04:05 <MarcoFalke> Maybe copy 0.17 to 0.19, because 0.18 is also broken according to the reporter
19:04:34 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15napuri-metti opened pull request #17045: Create bitcoin (06master...06patch-1) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17045
19:04:36 <wumpus> that makes more sense as 0.19 was copied from 0.18
19:04:42 <jonatack_> hi
19:04:56 <wumpus> but yes you could copy from further back
19:05:07 <wumpus> changes messages should just be ignored
19:05:24 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15MarcoFalke closed pull request #17045: Create bitcoin (06master...06patch-1) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17045
19:05:53 <luke-jr> context⁇
19:05:58 <wumpus> no proposed topics this week
19:06:10 <MarcoFalke> luke-jr: #17027
19:06:11 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17027 | the translations of Traditional Chinese in bitcoin_zh_TW.ts got clobbered to Simplified Chinese · Issue #17027 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:22 <wumpus> there's two PRs open for 0.19 that need review: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.19.0
19:07:24 <luke-jr> rather than 0.17, wouldn't it make more sense to copy the older 0.18 ts?
19:07:31 <wumpus> luke-jr: that's broken too
19:08:10 <luke-jr> ? "however, the bitcoin-core v18 release is not affected (yet) as v18 translation hasn't been updated since Mar 14 2019 a01925c"
19:08:13 <wumpus> apparently this is an older issue that only became apparent now; the 0.19 translation was copied from 0.18 when it was created
19:08:29 <wumpus> yes it was copied from 0.18 transifex, not 0.18 branch
19:08:36 <wumpus> the one on the 0.18 branch could still be ok?
19:08:42 <luke-jr> right, so why not copy 0.18 branch to transifex?
19:09:02 <wumpus> I don't know, that's what I proposed too
19:09:56 <achow101> it should be fine to upload .ts files from the branch to transifex
19:10:00 <luke-jr> also, wasn't 0.18 branch updated in July for 0.18.1?
19:10:35 <wumpus> ok, let's do that then
19:10:43 <wumpus> any other topics people want to discuss?
19:13:08 <MarcoFalke> Those are just gui issue
19:13:15 <MarcoFalke> Do they warrant holding back rc1?
19:13:29 <wumpus> anything that people want to merge early in the 0.20 cycle?
19:13:46 <wumpus> if so, we should probably start using "high-priority for review" again
19:14:07 <achow101> #16341
19:14:10 <achow101> :)
19:14:12 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16341 | Introduce ScriptPubKeyMan interface and use it for key and script management (aka wallet boxes) by achow101 · Pull Request #16341 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:14:32 <wumpus> MarcoFalke: the duplicate payment one is reasonably serious
19:14:37 <wumpus> MarcoFalke: agree wrt the other
19:15:08 <achow101> The duplicate paymentrequest one seems a bit contrived. it requires doing things on the command line that most people won't do
19:15:13 <achow101> but would be good to fix anyways
19:15:13 <MarcoFalke> The gui wouldn't allow to pay twice, right?
19:15:21 <wumpus> (although I doubt it would actually make a duplicate payment, the pay-to rejects them in the wallet right?)
19:15:39 <moneyball> #proposedmeetingtopic travis and #16148
19:15:41 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16148 | Travis timeouts · Issue #16148 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:15:53 <MarcoFalke> lol
19:15:54 <wumpus> achow101: ok will add that one
19:15:55 * MarcoFalke hides
19:16:26 <wumpus> achow101: it is already in high priority for review
19:16:46 <wumpus> #topic travis and #16148
19:16:46 <meshcollider> I think he's joking about merging early 0.20 :p
19:16:47 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16148 | Travis timeouts · Issue #16148 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:16:56 <jeremyrubin> I guess also with #16766 would be good to have some more people look at the changes and let me know if we need to start computing Balance separately from IsTrusted.
19:16:59 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16766 | wallet: Make IsTrusted scan parents recursively by JeremyRubin · Pull Request #16766 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:17:21 <wumpus> jeremyrubin: ok!
19:17:33 <moneyball> Hi
19:17:42 <wumpus> which is also already in high priority for review
19:17:53 <moneyball> I'd like to know if the project would like me to engage Travis to help out or not.
19:18:01 <jeremyrubin> Yup -- wasn't sure if we should discuss them explicitly as Achow did
19:18:23 <promag> #16963 for rc1?
19:18:25 <moneyball> MarcoFalke suggests I shouldn't in that PR but a few others would like me to.
19:18:25 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16963 | wallet: Fix unique_ptr usage in boost::signals2 by promag · Pull Request #16963 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:18:30 <wumpus> jeremyrubin: it's okay, though it might be more something for the wallet meeting
19:18:42 <jeremyrubin> moneyball: I think there's been progress on leaving travis altogether?
19:18:53 <moneyball> That is my understanding
19:19:10 <moneyball> But there are 3 devs who have upvoted me taking action
19:19:16 <wumpus> moneyball: it would be nice to get the issue with apt-get sorted out, but it's been going on for so long, people are not giving it much chance
19:19:24 <moneyball> I lean toward no but am happy to help if folks think it adds value
19:19:43 <moneyball> What is the realistic ETA for moving off of Travis?
19:19:47 <achow101> I think it would be nice to try all possible avenues. it might be less painful if we could get travis to work than to migrate away from them completely
19:20:04 <moneyball> If soon then it seems like a waste of time. If there is a good chance 3+ months or more then I'm happy to try
19:20:50 <MarcoFalke> Now that someone complained on Twitter, they were quite responsive in the ticket I filed (months ago). Though, it is hard to debug remotely and a solution might not be in sight any time soon.
19:21:09 <jeremyrubin> I think it's worthwhile -- insofar as travis works nicely for personal forks & it's not clear if the new core builds stuff will process those too?
19:21:10 <wumpus> achow101: it would, but, how realisticically is it going to get fixed? if it's just broken promises every time...
19:21:11 <moneyball> As I mention in the PR, I'd prefer to have at least one maintainer tell me it is valuable enough for me to work on it
19:22:03 <wumpus> the problem can't be on our side right?
19:22:33 <sdaftuar> who is actively working on migrating away from travis?
19:22:35 <wumpus> I mean, it's not some stupid option we've misconfigured
19:22:37 <sdaftuar> MarcoFalke ?
19:22:47 <wumpus> set apt mirror to black hole
19:22:55 <MarcoFalke> sdaftuar: I am running the ci on my odroid on my desk :)
19:23:02 <moneyball> jonasschnelli believe
19:23:15 <jonatack_> see https://twitter.com/_jonasschnelli_/status/1178745025393545216?s=20
19:23:23 <moneyball> But that is my question for everyone. What is the plan and when do we think we'd move off of Travis?
19:23:27 <MarcoFalke> Also, we can replace it with any other ci any time (if needed)
19:23:38 <moneyball> If no one knows or it is highly uncertain then it seems important to address the Travis issue
19:23:40 <sdaftuar> i think moneyball's question is right about wondering what a realistic timeline looks like for leaving
19:23:48 <sdaftuar> moneyball: that's my view as well
19:23:49 <MarcoFalke> I tested with GitHub Ci, Cirrus Ci and locally (odroid c2)
19:24:17 <MarcoFalke> GitHub Ci is in beta for at least one more month, so I wouldn't want to switch to that yet
19:24:28 <MarcoFalke> So let's say timeline is 3 months
19:25:59 <moneyball> jonasschnelli's tweet suggests his stuff should be ready for proposal in a month
19:27:02 <MarcoFalke> I'd say we wait a month and then re-evaluate
19:27:29 <moneyball> ok i'll plug in a meeting topic for 1 month from now
19:28:03 <MarcoFalke> I don't see anything that can be done right now, both on a communications side of things and switching away side of things
19:28:33 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15j15marti opened pull request #17046: 0.19 (06master...060.19) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17046
19:28:58 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15MarcoFalke closed pull request #17046: 0.19 (06master...060.19) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17046
19:29:47 <MarcoFalke> Will write a short update comment on #16148, for anyone that is interested
19:29:49 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16148 | Travis timeouts · Issue #16148 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:29:53 <MarcoFalke> next topic?
19:30:46 <wumpus> is there a next topic?
19:31:29 <wumpus> FWIW I uploaded the 0.18 branch zh_TW.ts translation to 0.18 and 0.19 on transifex
19:32:06 <MarcoFalke> thx
19:32:14 <MarcoFalke> I wonder if other languages were affected as well
19:32:30 <wumpus> I wonder who did this
19:32:47 <wumpus> in the best case it's just someone's mistake not vandalism
19:32:47 <achow101> doesn't transifex store the history of a translation?
19:33:00 <wumpus> I think I just overwrote the metadata by uploading a ts
19:33:27 <wumpus> though maybe they keep the older data, I don't know
19:33:59 <wumpus> #endmeeting