19:00:20 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:00:20 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jan 16 19:00:20 2020 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:20 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:25 <hebasto> hi
19:00:25 <emilengler> hi
19:00:26 <kanzure> hi
19:00:27 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james amiti fjahr
19:00:29 <wumpus> jeremyrubin lightlike emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55
19:00:33 <jonatack> hi
19:00:34 <achow101> hi
19:00:43 <instagibbs> hi
19:00:45 <sipa> hi
19:00:49 <nehan_> hi
19:00:51 <meshcollider> hi
19:00:53 <fjahr> hi
19:00:54 <wumpus> there have been no proposed topics in https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a, any last minute proposals?
19:00:54 <andytoshi> hi
19:01:16 <adiabat> hi
19:01:41 <jamesob> hi
19:01:43 <wumpus> re: 0.19.1, we've made some progress, but there's still 3 PRs that need to be reviewed merged
19:02:11 <wumpus> #topic High priority for review
19:02:45 <wumpus> at the moment, 8 blockers, 3 bugfixes, 6 chasing concept ACK: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
19:03:06 <wumpus> the bugfixes are for 0.19 backport, and would be good to have in 0.19.1
19:03:54 <sipa> what's blocking 0.19.1?
19:04:10 <wumpus> #17897 definitely needs more review, by someone that understands the indexing code closely
19:04:12 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17897 | init: Stop indexes on shutdown after ChainStateFlushed callback. by jimpo · Pull Request #17897 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:04:25 <jamesob> can I request we add #17737? as an aside, assumeutxo is in pretty good shape - I think it's got pretty broad concept ACK and the prototype branch seems to be working well. if I can get some help with review and testing, we might be able to `loadtxoutset` by the end of the year... and then we can start thinking about (and whether or not it's worth it) to propagate utxo snapshots through the p2p network
19:04:29 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17737 | Add ChainstateManager, remove BlockManager global by jamesob · Pull Request #17737 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:04:35 <wumpus> sipa: #17897 #17892 and #17887
19:04:37 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17897 | init: Stop indexes on shutdown after ChainStateFlushed callback. by jimpo · Pull Request #17897 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:04:39 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17892 | bug-fix: delay flushing undo files until after they are finalized by kallewoof · Pull Request #17892 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:04:40 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17887 | bug-fix macos: give free bytes to F_PREALLOCATE by kallewoof · Pull Request #17887 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:04:55 <wumpus> the latter two are to work around a macosx bug with preallocating files
19:05:06 <sipa> ok, that doesn't look too daunting
19:05:58 <wumpus> last week there seemed to be agreement that this was important for 0.19.1, I'm somewhat sceptical about working around an OS bug at our side, but they're not terrile backs
19:06:13 <jamesob> I'll take a look at 17897
19:06:38 <wumpus> jamesob: great to hear that assumeutxo is on the right track!
19:07:13 <instagibbs> jamesob, is 15606 actually the "child" PR?
19:07:29 <instagibbs> or mothership, I dunno
19:07:39 <jamesob> instagibbs: yep
19:07:46 <jamesob> more mothership than child
19:08:01 <jamesob> but all the assumeutxo code is there
19:08:14 <wumpus> added 17737
19:08:19 <instagibbs> cool, will review
19:08:33 <wumpus> please also review #16702, it seems to be pretty close to mergable
19:08:38 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16702 | p2p: supplying and using asmap to improve IP bucketing in addrman by naumenkogs · Pull Request #16702 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:09:06 <jamesob> instagibbs: thanks! recent utxo snapshots for testing are available here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15606#issuecomment-555213164
19:09:08 <sipa> #17896 is close too, i think
19:09:10 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17896 | Serialization improvements (step 2) by sipa · Pull Request #17896 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:09:38 <jnewbery> hi
19:10:08 <wumpus> sipa: ah yes, clearly
19:11:29 <wumpus> the review load is extremely high as usual :)
19:11:31 <jnewbery> #suggestedtopic Bitcoin Core contributor survey
19:11:50 <wumpus> #topic Bitcoin Core contributor survey (jnewbery)
19:11:57 <jnewbery> Thanks wumpus!
19:12:10 <jnewbery> we're having our next coredev irl meeting soonish
19:12:19 <promag> hi
19:12:45 <jnewbery> I'm going to send around a few questions to active contributors before the meeting, and then present the summary at the coredev meeting
19:13:09 <kanzure> regarding that meeting, i plan to once again collect topics (or maybe someone else will)- so send topic proposals that you'd like to see discussed or that you would like to discuss yourself
19:13:19 <jnewbery> so expect that in your inbox soon. It shouldn't take too long to fill out
19:13:38 <jnewbery> that's all I had. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about that
19:13:42 <kanzure> is this meeting related or bitcoin core contributor quality of life questions?
19:13:46 <wumpus> ok, good to know
19:14:22 <jnewbery> kanzure: a bit of both. Trying to find out what people's priorities are and if they have any suggestions about the Bitcoin Core process, and then we can talk about them at the meeting
19:14:29 <kanzure> cool. makes sense.
19:15:30 <kanzure> maybe add some topic-collection questions too so i can minimize my workload :) not required though!
19:15:52 <luke-jr> hi
19:16:05 <luke-jr> jnewbery: do you want those of us who won't make it to do the survey?
19:16:47 <jnewbery> yes please! Looking for input from anyone who's active in the project.
19:17:07 <jnewbery> kanzure: good idea. I'll add a topic-collection question and share results with you
19:17:52 <kanzure> thank you
19:17:53 <wumpus> thanks jnewbery
19:18:49 <wumpus> any other topics for today?
19:20:35 <wumpus> ok, have a good week then everyone, hope we can get some more of the high priority PRs merged
19:20:40 <wumpus> #endmeeting