19:00:26 <meshcollider> #startmeeting
19:00:26 <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Jan 17 19:00:26 2020 UTC.  The chair is meshcollider. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:26 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:32 <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball
19:00:38 <kanzure> hi
19:00:47 <jnewbery> hi
19:00:52 <meshcollider> Welcome to the first wallet meeting for 2020 :)
19:00:55 <jonatack> hi
19:00:58 <sipa> hi
19:01:19 <achow101> hi
19:01:34 <wumpus> hi
19:02:17 <meshcollider> Does anyone have topic proposals? I'd like to quickly just have a discussion about wallet goals for the longer term since are are getting close to merging #17261
19:02:20 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17261 | Make ScriptPubKeyMan an actual interface and the wallet to have multiple by achow101 · Pull Request #17261 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:03:07 <meshcollider> So wallet boxes are really a shorter term goal now \o/
19:03:12 <fjahr> hi
19:03:30 <achow101> finally
19:03:59 <jonatack> I'd propose the topic of multilabels
19:04:24 <jonatack> (after wallet boxes)
19:05:56 <achow101> meshcollider: so what are the long term goals?
19:06:59 <jnewbery> meshcollider: are you polling for long-term goals or were you going to tell us what your long-term goals are for the wallet?
19:07:05 <meshcollider> jnewbery's contributor survey asks everyone what their goals for core are, so if people have been thinking about it, does anyone want to discuss anything they'd like to see in the wallet
19:07:10 <meshcollider> Polling :)
19:08:00 <achow101> I'd like hardware wallet support :)
19:08:25 <achow101> but, in general, I think wallet boxes will let us do a lot more things
19:08:39 <jnewbery> clean up the node-wallet interface and make progress towards multiprocess
19:09:18 <achow101> and I guess semi-related would be miniscript and generic signing code
19:09:37 <meshcollider> yeah I think there will be lots of opportunities for really good cleanups after the boxes are all merged
19:10:01 <meshcollider> sipa: anything you envision?
19:11:49 <sipa> nothing specifically
19:12:03 <meshcollider> Alright awesome, so we do still have some clear longer term goals to continue with +1
19:12:20 <meshcollider> #topic Multilabels (jonatack)
19:12:23 <wumpus> would also like hardware wallet support
19:12:23 <achow101> also descriptor wallets as a mid-term goal
19:13:31 <jonatack> Multilabels: looking for concept acks on enabling passing an array of labels to
19:13:32 <achow101> jonatack: can you explain what you mean by mulitlabels>
19:14:10 <jonatack> RPCs setlabel, getnewaddress, importaddress, etc
19:14:35 <jonatack> and for listransactions to output an array of labels
19:14:52 <jonatack> and for listreceivedbylabels to filter on said array
19:15:25 <jonatack> and possibly rm the purpose field in the getaddressesbylabel response
19:15:48 <meshcollider> Have you thought about whether the GUI display would all labels for each address?
19:16:03 <meshcollider> Would display*
19:16:07 <achow101> I think purpose is separate from labels
19:16:08 <jonatack> and possibly add a case insensitive arg option for the label filtering in getaddressesbylabel and listtransactions
19:17:16 <jonatack> meshcollider: i'll admit that i've thought only about the rpc interface so far, if concept ack, would add gui to my thoughts :)
19:17:24 <jonatack> achow101: agreed
19:17:40 <achow101> concept ack multiple labels on things
19:18:00 <meshcollider> Yep supporting multiple labels makes logical sense to me
19:18:18 <jonatack> also possibly setlabel could receive an array of addresses as well as an array of labels
19:18:41 <achow101> keep in mind api compatibility though
19:19:11 <achow101> every place we take a label will need to be able to tae both a string and array of strings otherwise we lose compatibility
19:19:28 <achow101> same with output. that could be problematic
19:19:31 <meshcollider> Is "purpose" able to be set by the user currently or does it just default to "receive" automatically
19:19:35 <jonatack> *etc above also including the importmulti, addmultisigaddress, importprivkey, importpubkey
19:19:50 <achow101> meshcollider: I don't think it's user accesible
19:20:04 <jonatack> meshcollider: set to receive or send automatically
19:20:51 <meshcollider> Sweet
19:21:04 <achow101> it's "receive", "send", or "". "" is how we determine change
19:21:10 <jonatack> achow101: api compat -- agreed
19:21:18 <jonatack> good point
19:22:36 <meshcollider> Alright any other topics?
19:22:45 <jonatack> achow101: output hmmmmm
19:23:55 <jonatack> thanks. any other thoughts hit me up.
19:25:57 <meshcollider> Alright I guess that's it for today then
19:26:00 <meshcollider> #endmeeting