19:00:13 <wumpus> #startmeeting
19:00:13 <lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Mar  5 19:00:13 2020 UTC.  The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:13 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:46 <wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james amiti fjahr
19:00:47 <wumpus> jeremyrubin lightlike emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55
19:00:48 <emilengler> hi
19:00:50 <kanzure> hi
19:00:51 <elichai2> Hi
19:00:51 <jonasschnelli> hi
19:00:52 <sipsorcery> hi
19:00:54 <hebasto> hi
19:00:54 <jkczyz> hi
19:00:56 <jonatack> hi
19:01:03 <moneyball> hi
19:01:55 <wumpus> one proposed meeting topic in http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt : Coredev SF (moneyball)
19:02:27 <luke-jr> hi
19:02:37 <wumpus> PSA: 0.19.1 has been tagged, please gitian build if you haven't yet :)
19:03:39 <wumpus> the 0.20.0 feature freeze is in roughly a week, see https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17432, I think it makes sense to focus review on the feature PRs that have a chance to still make it in
19:04:08 <fjahr> hi
19:04:14 <nehan_> hi
19:04:21 <wumpus> there's a few PRs tagged for 0.20, but this list likely needs cleaning up: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.20.0
19:04:44 <wumpus> for example, I don't think the rust stuff is going to make 0.20, unfortunately
19:04:51 <elichai2> Where are we stuck in regards to the rust stuff?
19:05:12 <elichai2> I'd really like to push it for 0.21
19:05:14 <wumpus> I'm not entirely sure, but it's a bad idea to merge it last minute before a relase
19:05:18 <wumpus> agree
19:05:38 <wumpus> lack of ACKs I suppose
19:06:17 <wumpus> does anyone have suggestions for things that should have a 0.20 tag but doesn't?
19:06:43 <emilengler> Maybe #17636
19:06:46 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17636 | qt: Add -guisettingsdir option by emilengler · Pull Request #17636 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:25 <luke-jr> wumpus: still a Concept NACK on any rust stuff..
19:07:29 <wumpus> some of the things currently on high priority for review, for example
19:08:15 <ariard> elichai2: IIRC lack of review by people understanding both Rust and code affected but people would like to raise the subject at coming physical meetup
19:08:50 <luke-jr> elichai2: still not practical to securely bootstrap Rust, and it has ABI issues
19:08:52 <wumpus> no, I don't think any of the features in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8 's blockers will be ready for 0.20
19:09:02 <elichai2> ariard: k, will talk with people privately about it
19:09:14 <jonasschnelli> on 17646, would be good to get ryanofsky's ack
19:09:15 <wumpus> luke-jr: rust will not be required for anything necessary, it will remain optional
19:09:17 <kanzure> ariard: i'll add it to the topic reminder list
19:09:22 <jonasschnelli> *17636
19:09:25 <wumpus> but not the time to discuss that now
19:10:36 <luke-jr> started 0.19.1 PPA builds
19:11:21 <jonatack> wrt blockers, #16411 may have been superseded by #18267
19:11:24 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16411 | BIP-325: Signet support by kallewoof · Pull Request #16411 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:11:25 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18267 | BIP-325: Signet [consensus] by kallewoof · Pull Request #18267 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:12:36 <wumpus> jonatack: ok, will replace it
19:13:22 <jeremyrubin> hi
19:13:25 <jnewbery> hi
19:13:55 <luke-jr> might be nice to get #15987 in
19:14:01 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15987 | Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses by luke-jr · Pull Request #15987 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:14:23 <luke-jr> #15600 seems to be of interest (we have a IMO-bogus CVE assigned about it), and very simple
19:14:25 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15600 | lockedpool: When possible, use madvise to avoid including sensitive information in core dumps by luke-jr · Pull Request #15600 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:15:15 <wumpus> adding 0.20 milestone to those, hopefully they can get enough review in time
19:16:43 <luke-jr> shoot, the first one needs rebasing again - will try to get to that later today
19:18:14 <wumpus> I think that concludes the 0.20.0 / high priority for review topic
19:18:54 <wumpus> #topic Coredev SF (moneyball)
19:19:06 <moneyball> We need to discuss cancelling/postponing CoreDev SF. There are numerous reasons why. There is risk of getting stuck / quarantined and not be able to return home in a timely fashion. There is of course a real health risk and the logic to reduce the speed of spreading coronavirus. And there is the actions of many other organizations such as SF and California declaring states of emergencies, with Square,
19:19:07 <moneyball> Coinbase, Stripe, Microsoft, Twitter all strongly encouraging working from home. Lastly, there is a high probability Bitcoin 2020 will be postponed.
19:19:19 <moneyball> What do others think? Is there an argument to be made to continue holding it?
19:19:37 <moneyball> Would there be interest in a remote/virtual CoreDev? IMO the biggest value of the CoreDev _is_ the f2f interactions, so we'd be losing out on that. However, it may be interesting to experiment with a 1 day virtual format and see how it goes. Maybe we could get Udi to do a VR thing(?!).
19:20:07 <kanzure> when will we know about bitcoin2020?
19:20:08 <luke-jr> is there free software VR stuff?
19:20:19 <BlueMatt> it sounds like bitcoin2020 is going ahead
19:20:34 <BlueMatt> unless the city of sf tells them they have to cancel, that is
19:20:38 <jeremyrubin> i heard recent rumour it's cancelled
19:20:40 <luke-jr> O.O
19:21:03 <BlueMatt> they were pretty adament it was going ahead, like, three days ago, so dunno about rumors
19:21:12 <jeremyrubin> Or that they at least advised some people to  delay booking travel
19:21:14 <jeremyrubin> As of today
19:21:24 <jeremyrubin> I saw their message in the telegram a few days ago
19:21:42 <moneyball> For the purpose of this discussion, let's say it is a very high probability that Bitcoin 2020 conference may be postponed.
19:22:30 <kanzure> my only concern with coredev.tech would be if we have nearly ~everyone which is ungood for the usual reasons
19:23:19 <achow101> I think some people already said they weren't going
19:23:25 <wumpus> I don't think cancelling it is a bad idea, there's a large chance things will become more complicated in the next weeks, at least I'm not going to make the trip.
19:23:36 <luke-jr> kanzure: I wasn't going to make it regardless
19:23:49 <jonasschnelli> Agree with wumpus. I'm also not tthere.
19:23:50 <luke-jr> but even still, a majority of devs getting badly ill could be a bad idea :p
19:23:53 <jonatack> i was keen to go but atm it's a no-go... i'd be for holding off until we more clarity on the situation
19:23:54 <kanzure> luke-jr: are you prepared to continue the project without us? (kidding)
19:24:10 <BlueMatt> right, i guess the question is - things may be completely fine in two weeks, or ca will be telling everyone to not go outside. and we need to decide ~now for travel booking
19:24:31 <kanzure> are these things even refundable... i already booked.
19:24:32 * BlueMatt will be in sf either way
19:24:39 <luke-jr> kanzure: Core's current policy doesn't make it possible for a one-man show :P
19:24:51 <wumpus> could still organise something for the people in SF I guess
19:24:56 <BlueMatt> kanzure: they are not (yet), though some airlines are starting to change, at least alaska/virgin is refunding anything you want to cancel iiuc
19:25:12 <luke-jr> BlueMatt: considering the ridiculous lack of preventative measures by the US government, I expect things to only get worse in the coming weeks
19:25:16 <kanzure> that's helpful
19:25:42 <BlueMatt> I would not hold your breath if you're booked on the US Big Three airlines, though
19:26:11 <BlueMatt> sounds like cancel/postpone/anyone whos in sf anyway can get a drink through their face masks. any nacks?
19:26:26 <jnewbery> moneyball: I agree that the sensible thing to do is cancel if Bitcoin2020 is cancelled. I'm personally not interested in a remote/virtual coredev. I think it's very difficult to make it fair/convenient for people in different timezones. Much better to just reschedule a coredev in three-six months time.
19:26:28 <elichai2> FWIW even though no one from Israel is coming the official Israel health minister guidelines from a few days ago are not to fly anywhere if it's not an emergency and if you came from a conference you must be in 14 days isolation,
19:26:52 <elichai2> So I can expect other countries to start doing the same soon enough
19:27:04 <wumpus> yes, I very much doubt this will be cleared up in two weeks
19:27:07 <achow101> I think we'd have significantly reduced attendance so it probably isn't as useful
19:27:22 <jonasschnelli> I doubt it is cleared up in months. :)
19:27:45 <luke-jr> jonasschnelli: ☹ I'm reverse-quarantined until it's cleared up
19:27:47 <BlueMatt> wumpus: especially not in the us. its spreading fast in some areas and no testing means no followup/monitoring. its just getting started here :/
19:28:09 <jeremyrubin> kanzure: looking at what people submitted as topics to cover do you think there might be a useful remote agenda? Maybe we can just do daily morning/afternoon IRC meetings for a few days
19:29:03 <kanzure> jeremyrubin: sure... maybe zoom for presentations, otherwise just hang out on irc?
19:29:08 <kanzure> will pm you the link
19:29:58 <luke-jr> Zoom appears to work in free software HTML5 browsers if you jump through some hoops FWIW
19:30:00 <wumpus> trying to do something remote sounds good to me, would be good to coordinate more around the 0.20.0 feature freeze and release anyway--haven't ever used VR so can't comment on that
19:30:44 <kanzure> OK, well, if we want a remote event then let's decide (doesn't have to be right now) whether we just want people to commit to being online, or if we want to schedule presentations / specific discussions on a conference video tool
19:30:48 <kanzure> s/conference/meeting
19:32:24 <kanzure> no whiteboards though... hm.
19:32:49 <luke-jr> wumpus: maybe take #15987 out of 0.20 - just remembered I was waiting on #18192 to re-do it without the bloom stuff
19:32:54 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15987 | Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses by luke-jr · Pull Request #15987 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:32:56 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18192 | Bugfix: Wallet: Safely deal with change in the address book by luke-jr · Pull Request #18192 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:33:00 <moneyball> schmidty and i can send out a survey with some options. if the majority want to do virtual we can help organize. if just a few, i'd suggest self-organizing.
19:33:05 <kanzure> anyway, it would be helpful if coredev.tech can send out an email once someone learns about bitcoin2020's decision
19:33:10 <luke-jr> kanzure: screen sharing in Zoom as whiteboarD?
19:33:22 <wumpus> luke-jr: ok
19:33:49 <moneyball> yes i will send an email, and i will include a survey for people to indicate preferences for doing virtual or nothing at all
19:34:10 <achow101> moneyball: ack
19:34:31 <jeremyrubin> I'd do a virtual thing but I don't own any vr hardware -- do most devs these days?
19:34:31 <wumpus> moneyball: thanks!
19:34:34 <bitcoin-git> [13bitcoin] 15luke-jr closed pull request #15987: Wallet, GUI: Warn when sending to already-used Bitcoin addresses (06master...06wallet_no_reuse) 02https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15987
19:34:55 <luke-jr> moneyball: nothing | video conf | VR
19:35:08 <kanzure> luke-jr: or... blockchain?
19:35:08 <luke-jr> jeremyrubin: I suspect you're not alone; video conf seems more logical IMO anyway
19:35:17 <moneyball> i mean i joined udi's VR thing without a headset.
19:35:33 <moneyball> i'm not advocating VR, just saying a headset isn't needed to participate
19:35:40 <achow101> jeremyrubin: I don't, but valve index is supposed to be back in stock Monday. I'm planning on getting one of those
19:36:01 <luke-jr> moneyball: it is if it's anything liek Sword Art Online 8)
19:37:43 <sipa> hi!
19:37:45 <wumpus> anything else to discuss today?
19:38:15 <sipa> fwiw, i'll be in the sf area for coredev, so happy to meet up with whoever is there
19:39:52 <wumpus> #endmeeting