19:00:09 <meshcollider> #startmeeting
19:00:09 <lightningbot> Meeting started Fri Jun 19 19:00:09 2020 UTC.  The chair is meshcollider. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:09 <lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:10 <achow101> wallet meeting?
19:00:12 <achow101> hi
19:00:12 <provoostenator> hi
19:00:16 <meshcollider> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball ariard digi_james amiti fjahr
19:00:16 <meshcollider> jeremyrubin emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55
19:00:33 <meshcollider> Glad you can see my messages this week
19:00:42 <meshcollider> Topics?
19:00:47 <achow101> luke-jr: had one
19:01:36 <provoostenator> Plug for for my hardware wallet write-up: https://gist.github.com/Sjors/29d06728c685e6182828c1ce9b74483d
19:02:01 <provoostenator> Nothing new to report though.
19:02:03 <achow101> [06-17 03:15:04 pm] <luke-jr> #proposedwalletmeetingtopic revert #6550 (conceptually) - merkle branches stored in the wallet would be useful for pruned nodes [w/ watch-only wallets]
19:02:07 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/6550 | Do not store Merkle branches in the wallet. by sipa · Pull Request #6550 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:03:40 <meshcollider> Is luke-jr here though
19:03:50 <meshcollider> provoostenator: nice write-up
19:04:03 <provoostenator> To many double negatives, so the proposal is to store Merkle branches in the wallet?
19:04:36 <sipa> yes
19:04:41 <sipa> at least optionally
19:04:56 <jonatack> hi
19:04:56 <achow101> also we should probably remove the descriptor wallets project from the repo now that it's done. maybe we should add one for hwardware wallets and one for sqlite wallets?
19:05:03 <sipa> but probably better to have this discussion with luke-jr present
19:05:09 <provoostenator> Is that to make it easier to do transaction lookups without a txindex?
19:05:41 <provoostenator> But yes, we can defer discussion until he's around.
19:05:59 <meshcollider> achow101: sounds sensible, I'm not sure I can add/remove projects so maybe sipa can do that for us :)
19:07:03 <meshcollider> So tl;dr for the hardware wallet write-up for now is: go and review #11413 ?
19:07:06 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11413 | [wallet] [rpc] sendtoaddress/sendmany: Add explicit feerate option by kallewoof · Pull Request #11413 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:07:13 <provoostenator> Hardware wallet project would be welcome. My writeup contains a few PR's that can be added, recursion should find the rest, or pingme.
19:07:47 <provoostenator> meshcollider: there's roughly two things one can review, based on interest
19:07:56 <provoostenator> 1) bunch of send RPC related PR's
19:08:18 <provoostenator> 2) runCommandParseJSON (which adds boost::process)
19:08:58 <meshcollider> But you're right, 11413 has been stuck in limbo for a long time, we should get it in
19:09:38 <jonatack> +1 will review 11413
19:09:52 <provoostenator> Yes, because that introduces sat/b which I'll need in any other RPC call related to sending coins
19:10:10 <provoostenator> (or waste more of kallewoof's time if he needs to rebase)
19:10:53 <provoostenator> But I'd love to get #15382 in as well, hopefully the opt-in behavior now is acceptable.
19:10:57 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15382 | util: add runCommandParseJSON by Sjors · Pull Request #15382 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:11:13 <provoostenator> configure.ac is rather painful to work on
19:11:15 <achow101> #18027 is getting close too. I'm reviewing it right now
19:11:18 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18027 | "PSBT Operations" dialog by gwillen · Pull Request #18027 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:11:24 <provoostenator> That one is great too
19:12:12 <provoostenator> The UI is tangential to my hardware wallet PR's though, beacuse you won't need to touch PSBT manually.
19:12:57 <provoostenator> Though I can see how in multisig you might receive a PSBT via "email", load it and then sign on a device. So eventually it'll have a role.
19:13:07 <achow101> topic suggestion: how much bdb code do people want to review?
19:13:28 <meshcollider> #topic BDB code review (achow101)
19:13:32 <provoostenator> But my initial implementation assumes single sig, with only modest thought put into multisig (I closed a PR for that, too much of a stack)
19:13:59 <provoostenator> Is there a choice in how much?
19:14:04 <achow101> I've split out chunks of #18971 into a bunch of seperate PRs that are pretty easy to review
19:14:06 <gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/18971 | wallet: Refactor the classes in wallet/db.{cpp/h} by achow101 · Pull Request #18971 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
19:14:18 <achow101> the rest of it is introducing the WalletDatabase abstract class and some BDB changes
19:14:29 <achow101> but I've realized I can introduce the WalletDatabase class without those BDB changes
19:14:44 <provoostenator> Maybe use a checkbox - [ ]  instead of (merged) for easier visual inspection
19:15:03 <achow101> so do people want to have the abstract class and then the BDB changes separately?
19:15:13 <provoostenator> Yes please
19:15:22 <provoostenator> BDB is scary enough as move-only :-)
19:15:24 <meshcollider> I'd say so yep
19:15:24 <achow101> I fear the if I do that, those changes won't get merged, but at the same time, those changes will probably hold up the classsepparation
19:16:17 <provoostenator> I'd like to get Sqlite3 in relatlively long before 0.21 branch off
19:16:27 <achow101> alright then
19:16:31 <provoostenator> That seems more important than improving DBD
19:16:32 <achow101> I guess bdb is going to remain a mess
19:16:37 <achow101> at least it'll be a self contained mess
19:17:12 <meshcollider> We can make it a priority to get it reviewed and merged
19:17:16 <meshcollider> It'll be fine
19:19:02 <meshcollider> Alright since Luke still isn't here then we'll keep this short and sweet :)
19:19:06 <meshcollider> #endmeeting